Help a Poker Newbie Improve his game

Search

Tokens
After I play in the big tournament, I plan to make a list of all the things I have learned by playing competitively 6 months. I feel like I may be able to help others. Its seriously a WORLD of DIFFERENCE since August and Now.

I have one more big question. I have a very, very hard time reading people. What I mean by that is, its not all facial expression or a poker face... It's more the way people bet that give peoples tendacies... I never realized I can't pick it up until I was talking with my friend and shared what he has learned.

Example. One guy when he has the nutz he usually bets 3 times the big blind. When he is bluffing he will go all in, or at least 5 times the big blind. I would of never noticed on my own if it wasn't for him telling.

How can I learn these tells on my own. How Can I work on this?

Tokens
I know this is defying's post, but I am new to poker myself and this info has really been helping my game as well.
Thank Guys.

Tokens
RAW and Defying. I play alot at foxwoods and moehgan sun in Connecticut because i live pretty close. you can get some obvious tells by the players hand shaking. also, watch a players throat. if he swallows alot he is very very nervous. also u can get a tell by watching a players eyes when the flop comes for example. dont look at the flop yourslef. watch the players eyes more importantly. after looking at your opponents eyes then look at the board to see where your at. good luck --

Tokens
How is this? Anything look wrong?

1171 hands played and saw flop:
- 89 times out of 149 while in small blind (60%)
- 79 times out of 146 while in big blind (54%)
- 367 times out of 876 in other positions (42%)
- a total of 535 times out of 1171 (46%)

Pots won at showdown - 79 out of 162 (49%)
Pots won without showdown - 177

Typical stats of a Fish which is why someone's stalking you.

It is humanly impossible to win with those stats at small stakes and up online playing 6Max or 10 seated mainly because everyone else in playing tight like a tiger these days. 5 years ago, you could probably win cause there were players playing 90% of their hands but those days are long gone.

I'll be in the Bar..With my head on the Bar
Tokens
aggression_scatter-0.5-1-nl-9-hold'em-stars.png

Tokens
PPP,

That graph is basically saying 25% of the players at O.5/$1 NL are winning and the rest are losing?

When I first started 3 years ago, I was told 15-20% were making money but felt it was a bit too low.

Tokens
Yea i guess it is...though this is for 1 particular level during 1 specific time period...I sure wouldnt think it would be 25%....seems way high to me. Id of said less than 10% over say a 1 yr period.
I was shocked to see this graph last night. Thats all at Stars and i had no idea i had done that well since i play cash NL games maybe once a month if that there. FL games where i think im actually abv avg i lost my ass.....
Im done with Stars for awhile but im going to try to concentrate on these cash games at Absolute for a while...I cant resist tournys but id like to see if can get something going at NL.....
I know 1 reason i was able to do so well is all the multitablers, playing only 1 or 2 tables you can really dominate the table if you catch a table full of these guys...You just play a lot of hands, attack the blinds constantly and dont give them any action when they raise...and stick and move...lol

Tokens
It's been a long while since I've updated here. I been playing twice a week with 25-40 people in tournament play...

In the last 15 tournaments, I have finished in the top 9 10 times... In those finals tables I have WON 5 times, finished 2nd 3 times

Things are good. I've continued to learn, and

THANK YOU TO PPP for recommending the book ADVANCED STRAGTIES FOR TOURNAMENT PLAYERS

Once I knew the game a little better, I was able to apply the gap theory. I wasn't ready for it 6 months ago. This helps my game CONSIDERABLY playing against other good plays...

Still, most of the players are bad.. and I know that because I play with them often... I wish I played with all new people more often to get my skills sharper against unknown opponents...

I played in a charity tournament last week, 80 people finished 26th. I played very well until they broke up my table. I was above average, but went to the table with the current chip leader... He didn't respect my game at all from the beginning... I probably played 40 hands, raised (increasingly) strong 6 of those hands. He called 6 of those hands. No matter what I would raise, he would call even sometimes with shit. I was ahead of him preflop 4 out of 6 times, only 1 time was far behind. And 5 out of 6 times he outflopped me time and time again. He played exteremly loose again me, and I just couldn't get him to respect my raises, and it cost me. I feel like he saw me as a kid and thought I didn't know how to play. That was different...

I've been folding more and more. I let go the k9's of the world, something I didnt do previously. Playing suited connectors has won me more money than pocket pairs, something that I would of never ever thought 4 months ago...

Tokens
last post was a little long winded so I decided to break it up.....

Things I need to work on:
Check - Raising

I am great at it when I hit trips... or Ace high flush.. Still, I would love to get better at it, when I am less confident of having the winner... I say that though because I feel it is such a powerful weapon, I feel that I could get more out of things if I could use it a bit more...

Chase Flushes Less Often

I am still not convinced this is a horrible flaw.(GIVE ME YOUR OPINION) I love my flushes. I don't chase open ended straights when I shouldn't, but that same situation that I fold open ended straights, I call flushes. I know it's only one more out.. but when I am suited in my hand and flop has 2 to the flush, I will most likely call. I haven't seen this to be a problem with my success, but watching poker on TV, I am shocked how often they lay it down. They are the pros, so I should be laying it down more often. If this is hindering my success without me realizing it, maybe my greatest flaw.

My biggest Problem: Discovering Good Players Betting Patterns

I can't do it. I have a friend that is a good player, and he points them out to me with others I play with. Once he tells me, I see how correct he is, and I use it to my advantage. But, I cannot for the life of me pick up on betting habits. I feel like I am missing out on valuable information, and I feel like what makes me patient is the same thing that makes me miss this stuff. No Idea how to improve.

Chip Stacking

May seem simple, but I have a hard time keeping a big chip stack in equal piles and neatly organized. I always grab from the full stack. I don't why.

Bet Timing

I know people refer to this online. But in live tournaments, I need to work on this.. too often, I don't play the act.. meaning if I have a very good hand, I snap call. When I am a little less confident, I take more time. Also when raising, I tend to do it to fast. I feel like I should pace myself a little more, and act a little more.

Small Chip Stack

I hate pushing all in with hards I normally wouldn't. I have yet to make a huge comeback from being down to almost nothing, but yet I have witnessed the other good players there win the thing after being almost completely out.

Things I feel I am great at:
Folding once I know I am behind

I may miss a pot or two because I misread. And this may seem obvious but It doesn't bother me at all to fold a good hand, when I am financially invested, when I am rather certain im behind. Some, as Sooner frequently admits, has trouble doing this. This is something I have improved greatly on.

Using the Bluff

Now I understand that most amateur poker players use this way too much. I don't. Still when I use it, I rarely ever beat myself. I am very happy with myself choosing when to bluff.

Tournament Play In General

I am a good tournament player. Maybe because it's how I've become a real poker player, but I really think I am ready for small tournaments. I like to get to know my players, hate breaking tables, so the smaller the better. After writing this, maybe Big Tournaments need to go under things I need to work on. I just hate moving tables and having to reestablish respect. I still play well, just don't enjoy it as much.

Keeping Others Guessing

I really feel like I switch my game up alot. I been playing with the same group of 30 people for 6 months now, and I don't feel anyone has really figured me out. I am good of not following into the same habits. It's something I set out to do since I learned the game.

Banned
Tokens
last post was a little long winded so I decided to break it up.....

Things I need to work on:
Check - Raising

I am great at it when I hit trips... or Ace high flush.. Still, I would love to get better at it, when I am less confident of having the winner... I say that though because I feel it is such a powerful weapon, I feel that I could get more out of things if I could use it a bit more...

Chase Flushes Less Often

I am still not convinced this is a horrible flaw.(GIVE ME YOUR OPINION) I love my flushes. I don't chase open ended straights when I shouldn't, but that same situation that I fold open ended straights, I call flushes. I know it's only one more out.. but when I am suited in my hand and flop has 2 to the flush, I will most likely call. I haven't seen this to be a problem with my success, but watching poker on TV, I am shocked how often they lay it down. They are the pros, so I should be laying it down more often. If this is hindering my success without me realizing it, maybe my greatest flaw.

My biggest Problem: Discovering Good Players Betting Patterns

I can't do it. I have a friend that is a good player, and he points them out to me with others I play with. Once he tells me, I see how correct he is, and I use it to my advantage. But, I cannot for the life of me pick up on betting habits. I feel like I am missing out on valuable information, and I feel like what makes me patient is the same thing that makes me miss this stuff. No Idea how to improve.

Chip Stacking

May seem simple, but I have a hard time keeping a big chip stack in equal piles and neatly organized. I always grab from the full stack. I don't why.

Bet Timing

I know people refer to this online. But in live tournaments, I need to work on this.. too often, I don't play the act.. meaning if I have a very good hand, I snap call. When I am a little less confident, I take more time. Also when raising, I tend to do it to fast. I feel like I should pace myself a little more, and act a little more.

Small Chip Stack

I hate pushing all in with hards I normally wouldn't. I have yet to make a huge comeback from being down to almost nothing, but yet I have witnessed the other good players there win the thing after being almost completely out.

Things I feel I am great at:
Folding once I know I am behind

I may miss a pot or two because I misread. And this may seem obvious but It doesn't bother me at all to fold a good hand, when I am financially invested, when I am rather certain im behind. Some, as Sooner frequently admits, has trouble doing this. This is something I have improved greatly on.

Using the Bluff

Now I understand that most amateur poker players use this way too much. I don't. Still when I use it, I rarely ever beat myself. I am very happy with myself choosing when to bluff.

Tournament Play In General

I am a good tournament player. Maybe because it's how I've become a real poker player, but I really think I am ready for small tournaments. I like to get to know my players, hate breaking tables, so the smaller the better. After writing this, maybe Big Tournaments need to go under things I need to work on. I just hate moving tables and having to reestablish respect. I still play well, just don't enjoy it as much.

Keeping Others Guessing

I really feel like I switch my game up alot. I been playing with the same group of 30 people for 6 months now, and I don't feel anyone has really figured me out. I am good of not following into the same habits. It's something I set out to do since I learned the game.

i rarely check raise. i really only do it if i'm bluffing, say i'm in the blind and a guy raises and i suspect he's weak, i'll check raise him on the flop.....or, if i limped in and caught a huge flop against a guy who i know has a big pocket pair, i'll let him lead out and commit himself and then come over the top. i just don't see the value in check raising if i have a big hand. maybe on the river if i'm confident my opponent will make a play at the pot but won't call a bet......

as far as chasing flushes, i have started paying more attention as to whether or not i'm getting the correct odds. it's roughly 2 to 1 after the flop (if you have 4 pieces of it) and 4 to 1 on the turn. open ended straights are roughly the same. i'll semi bluff most of the time if i'm drawing to the nut flush or straight, try to keep it cheap if i'm drawing to a baby flush or low end of the straight. you mentioned you were surprised how often the pros lay it down....i have the wpt on dvd, and a lot of times you'll see someone get a chip count of what's in the pot before he makes a decision....the pros are all about playing the odds (most of the time)

as far as peoples' patterns, it's about paying attention. i do better in live games than i do online. playing online, i have a bad habit of surfing the net or watching tv when i'm not in a hand. i will say, whenever somebody bets the minimum and i'm the first to act (or nobody else comes over the top), i ALWAYS raise about 3 or 4 times regardless of what i have. seems like this play works at a very high percentage. if you get called, then you're beat, but more often than not it's some guy trying to take down a $100 pot with a $5 bet. raise this joker every time.

as far as bet timing (i haven't played live in a long time, so forgive my internet stories), i never use the auto check button. i don't know how many pots i've been able to take down because others at their table have the check/fold option on. whenever i'm in a hand and i see a couple insta-checks, i always bet. sometimes i run into a tricky bastard who uses auto check as a technique to get in a raise, but that's fine, i'll fold. play works often enough so that it's profitable.

folding when you know you're behind......i could learn this myself.

as far as bluffing, is the pot worth it? i mean, if there's only $7 in the pot, maybe take a stab at it, but i try to avoid getting too heavily invested in a pot that doesn't have much in it to begin with. sometimes you'll see a flop where there were like 6 limpers, and a lot of times the first person to bet at it takes it down. don't be a minimum bettor though.....you're just giving your money away.

if you have a guy who's not respecting your raises and is always trying to run you down, that's a good thing. hell, come into a pot, let him put a move on you, and agonize over your decision before you fold. let him think he just bluffed you out of a good hand. at some point, you'll get a chance to set a trap and he'll pay you off.

Tokens
Chase Flushes Less Often

as for chasing flushes..i only call a 2 to the flush flop if i also have a straight in 2 or 2 overcards. even then i only will call 1-2 big blind, and try not to do that. of course if im in late position you can forget all i just said. who the hell knows what ill do - depends on stack sizes of players

Tokens
Defying

It sounds like your early and mid game play is good. I would recommend putting money on pokerstars and full tilt and playing some 9-man sit n go's. It will really help you get your late game play under control and give you more experience with the high blind/small stack situation that players often face at the end of tournaments. Hell, you might even make some $$. Best of luck! If you have any questions just shoot me a PM. (I grind sit n go's as a living when business is slow)

Tokens
There are no advantages really except you get to act last instead of the button...Its really done more to loosen up tight games or by loose players with a lot of chips to burn who want to cultivate an overly aggressive image...

Tokens
Thanks PPP, you been a lot of help!

I look forward to playing with you tonight in our little RX tournament tonight

Tokens
Hit my first ever Quads since I been playing seriously. Playing .10 / .25 cash on PS..

Poker 2's in middle position, I limp in....

Flop is 2, 2, K
Check, He raises the pot, I take a long tme to call

Q, he bets double the pot, I call.

6 on river, he bets pot, I go all in, he calls, showing AK

Feels good to have something good happen

Banned
Tokens
try full tilt

at least i had the good sense from moving all in with the boat.......

Full Tilt Poker Game #19298872731: $10 + $1 Tournament (146920063), Table 12 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 3:04:16 ET - 2010/03/16
Seat 1: soonerdawg (1,340)
Seat 2: alldawson37 (3,670)
Seat 3: abgunz69 (2,860)
Seat 4: xLeMoNHeADx53 (3,135), is sitting out
Seat 5: bugman68 (3,195)
Seat 6: killer_ace555 (2,680), is sitting out
Seat 7: westfilia 1965 (2,740)
Seat 8: aaaglen (3,730)
Seat 9: polarBB (3,545)
killer_ace555 posts the small blind of 15
westfilia 1965 posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to soonerdawg [9c 9s]
killer_ace555 has returned
aaaglen calls 30
polarBB folds
soonerdawg calls 30
alldawson37 calls 30
abgunz69 calls 30
xLeMoNHeADx53 folds
bugman68 folds
killer_ace555 calls 15
westfilia 1965 checks
*** FLOP *** [8d 7c 8c]
killer_ace555 checks
westfilia 1965 checks
aaaglen bets 120
soonerdawg has 15 seconds left to act
soonerdawg calls 120
alldawson37 folds
abgunz69 calls 120
killer_ace555 raises to 420
westfilia 1965 folds
aaaglen calls 300
soonerdawg calls 300
abgunz69 folds
*** TURN *** [8d 7c 8c] [8s]
killer_ace555 checks
aaaglen checks
soonerdawg bets 240
killer_ace555 calls 240
aaaglen calls 240
*** RIVER *** [8d 7c 8c 8s] [3s]
killer_ace555 has 15 seconds left to act
killer_ace555 checks
aaaglen checks
soonerdawg checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
soonerdawg shows [9c 9s] a full house, Eights full of Nines
killer_ace555 shows [As 8h] four of a kind, Eights
aaaglen mucks
killer_ace555 wins the pot (2,280) with four of a kind, Eights
The blinds are now 20/40
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2,280 | Rake 0
Board: [8d 7c 8c 8s 3s]
Seat 1: soonerdawg showed [9c 9s] and lost with a full house, Eights full of Nines
Seat 2: alldawson37 folded on the Flop
Seat 3: abgunz69 folded on the Flop
Seat 4: xLeMoNHeADx53 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: bugman68 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: killer_ace555 (small blind) showed [As 8h] and won (2,280) with four of a kind, Eights
Seat 7: westfilia 1965 (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 8: aaaglen mucked [Th 9d] - three of a kind, Eights
Seat 9: polarBB didn't bet (folded)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onetreestays
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com