ESPN Trying Their Best To Push Soccer

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
To be clear, the last thing I'm doing is critiquing other countries for loving the sport of soccer.

After all, Caucasian-Americans are Germans, English/British, Belgian, Irish, Swedish, Swish, Norwegian, Russian, etc.

We all come from the same group & places. Brothers basically.

But the bottom line is the best athletes in the world reside in the United States...Period.

At one point only Caucasians played & dominated basketball.

Then African Americans started playing and I don't have to go into detail there.

It would be the same with soccer as it was with basketball if it came to that.

Guys who run 4.3 40yd dashes, quick as lighting, physically superior, who would blow by Latin & European players...

Tokens
I wasn't always a soccer fan. But after watching the world cup, and a few matches of opening week of the premier league (including an exciting man city game this morning even though it wasn't on ESPN) I would say they are turning me into a fan!

Tokens
To be clear, the last thing I'm doing is critiquing other countries for loving the sport of soccer.

After all, Caucasian-Americans are Germans, English/British, Belgian, Irish, Swedish, Swish, Norwegian, Russian, etc.

We all come from the same group & places. Brothers basically.

But the bottom line is the best athletes in the world reside in the United States...Period.

At one point only Caucasians played & dominated basketball.

Then African Americans started playing and I don't have to go into detail there.

It would be the same with soccer as it was with basketball if it came to that.

Guys who run 4.3 40yd dashes, quick as lighting, physically superior, who would blow by Latin & European players...

I agree that the black brothers are better athletes, is just DNA, but whites you could argue have better technique/discipline? Brazil is full of blacks, so is France and England, and all African countries, truth is, blacks make around 30% of french squad, 20% of english squad, 40% of brazil squad and 100% of Nigeria and Cameroon squad. Africa has never reached semifinals.

We Caucasians make up for our lack of athleticism with other virtues. Shades of gray my friend.

Tokens
lol -
maybe you take soccer a little too personally then. my opinion isn't worth any more than anyone elses. but I'd say comparing soccer athletes to NFL athletes is equally laughable

are you including those fat boys that protect the quarterback? :) what do you call them again, 'linemen'? how long on the pitch before those 'elite athletes' fall to one knee with exhaustion? ....20 min?

Tokens
As I said earlier in the thread, If just a small percentage of American Athletes would grow up concentrating on soccer, rather than football, basketball, or baseball, then the U.S. would dominate it with athletes who are far superior.

But basically other than Hispanics, nobody cares about playing it here, and that's the ONLY reason the U.S. hasn't become dominant in the sport.

Its all about money Hache, if someone is a world class athlete then they are going to try and play another sport since there just isnt any money playing in the MLS. And for the record, the US has been trying for over 20 years to become relevant in soccer, without much success.

Tokens
Do US athletes dominate baseball, pitching maybe, but hasn't the US batter been surpassed at the top of the hill?

yeah, I hear ya. Was scratching my head when that chap inferred USA 'dominates' baseball. They belong with the elite group, but sure as hell don't 'dominate'.

World Cup Baseball:
2006- Japan over Cuba
2009- Japan over S Korea
2013- Dominican Repulblic over Puerto Rico

Olympic Baseball:
2000- USA over Cuba
2004- Cuba over Australia
2008 - S Korea over Cuba

hmm, dominate? :)

Tokens
yeah, I hear ya. Was scratching my head when that chap inferred USA 'dominates' baseball. They belong with the elite group, but sure as hell don't 'dominate'.

World Cup Baseball:
2006- Japan over Cuba
2009- Japan over S Korea
2013- Dominican Repulblic over Puerto Rico

Olympic Baseball:
2000- USA over Cuba
2004- Cuba over Australia
2008 - S Korea over Cuba

hmm, dominate? :)

LOL

Tokens
[h=2]Results[edit][/h]For a list of national team appearances, see National team appearances in the FIBA Basketball World Cup.
YearHost (Final phase/game)Gold medal gameBronze medal gameNumber of teams
GoldScoreSilverBronzeScoreFourth place
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina
(Buenos Aires)
30px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Argentina
64–50[SUP][16][/SUP]
30px-US_flag_48_stars.svg.png

United States
30px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png

Chile
51–40[SUP][16][/SUP]
30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281889-1960%29.svg.png

Brazil
23px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281960-1968%29.svg.png
Brazil
(Rio de Janeiro)

United States
62–41[SUP][16][/SUP]

Brazil
30px-Flag_of_the_Philippines_%28navy_blue%29.svg.png

Philippines
66–60[SUP][16][/SUP]
30px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

France
23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png
Chile
(Santiago)

Brazil
81–67[SUP][16][/SUP]

United States
30px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png

Chile
86–85[SUP][16][/SUP]
Overtime
30px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China.svg.png

Taiwan
23px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281960-1968%29.svg.png
Brazil
(Rio de Janeiro)
30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281960-1968%29.svg.png

Brazil
90–71[SUP][16][/SUP]
30px-Flag_of_SFR_Yugoslavia.svg.png

Yugoslavia
30px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union_%281955-1980%29.svg.png

Soviet Union
69–67[SUP][16][/SUP]
30px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

United States
23px-Flag_of_Uruguay.svg.png
Uruguay
(Montevideo)

Soviet Union
71–59[SUP][16][/SUP]

Yugoslavia
30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281960-1968%29.svg.png

Brazil
80–71[SUP][16][/SUP]

United States
23px-Flag_of_SFR_Yugoslavia.svg.png
Yugoslavia
(Ljubljana)

Yugoslavia
80–55[SUP][16][/SUP]
30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281968-1992%29.svg.png

Brazil

Soviet Union
62–58[SUP][16][/SUP]
30px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png

Italy
23px-Flag_of_Puerto_Rico_%281952-1995%29.svg.png
Puerto Rico
(San Juan)

Soviet Union
82–79[SUP][16][/SUP]

Yugoslavia

United States
83–70[SUP][16][/SUP]
30px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png

Cuba
23px-Flag_of_the_Philippines_%28navy_blue%29.svg.png
Philippines
(Manila)

Yugoslavia
82–81
Overtime

Soviet Union

Brazil
86–85
30px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png

Italy
23px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png
Colombia
(Cali)
30px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png

Soviet Union
95–94

United States

Yugoslavia
119–117
30px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png

Spain
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain
(Madrid)

United States
87–85

Soviet Union

Yugoslavia
117–91

Brazil
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina
(Buenos Aires)

Yugoslavia
92–75

Soviet Union

United States
107–105
Overtime
30px-Flag_of_Puerto_Rico.svg.png

Puerto Rico
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada
(Toronto)

United States
137–91
30px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

Russia
30px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png

Croatia
78–60
30px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png

Greece
23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png
Greece
(Athens)
30px-Flag_of_FR_Yugoslavia.svg.png

Yugoslavia
64–62
30px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

Russia

United States
84–61

Greece
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
(Indianapolis)
30px-Flag_of_FR_Yugoslavia.svg.png

Yugoslavia
84–77
Overtime

Argentina
30px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png

Germany
117–94
30px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

New Zealand
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
(Saitama)
30px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png

Spain
70–47

Greece

United States
96–81

Argentina
23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png
Turkey
(Istanbul)

United States
81–64
30px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png

Turkey
30px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png

Lithuania
99–88
30px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png

Serbia

<tbody>
</tbody>

Tokens
Completely agree. After watching the best players in the world this summer, it's safe to say they are not the most athletic group out there. The only sport I think they can compete in outside of soccer is gymnastics or figure skating. Otherwise people who play more physical sports would destroy them if they grew up playing soccer.

Unfortunately for soccer fans in America it is a sport we have children play until they're old enough to play real sports.

Tokens
and American football is not even an argument, only Canada has a competitive league and gives it importance. Have you seen the Mexican league? so sad.

Tokens
laughable arguments, akphidelt, this thread and the thread about Robin Williams make you look like quite the ignorant... and I'm not one of the guys that started bashing you for the Sterling thread, I hate racism, but actually think anyone can say whatever in privacy. Like the fact you are not a sellout and have a mind of your own but open your eyes.

Tokens
laughable arguments, akphidelt, this thread and the thread about Robin Williams make you look like quite the ignorant... and I'm not one of the guys that started bashing you for the Sterling thread, I hate racism, but actually think anyone can say whatever in privacy. Like the fact you are not a sellout and have a mind of your own but open your eyes.

Suicide is selfish, Sterling would lose easily and a new owner would be in by the start of the season, and soccer players are not the most athletic athletes in the world. Pretty straight forward arguments.

Tokens
Lol, the amount of ignorance about soccer is precisely why most of you Americans suck at it. All sports are great and have their own challenges.

Comparing soccer to frisby is just plain dumb and not a good look for a forumsville mod.

I agree completely, pocketrockets.

This thread is a classic example of why I have to go over to covers to find an intelligent conversation about soccer.

Typical American fans only like sports that were invented in the US, and have lots of scoring.

Official Rx music critic and beer snob
Tokens
I agree completely, pocketrockets.

This thread is a classic example of why I have to go over to covers to find an intelligent conversation about soccer.

Typical American fans only like sports that were invented in the US, and have lots of scoring.

I heard today that the Fire haven't scored two goals in a game since June. After seeing teams just play keep away in the knockout rounds of the World Cup, give me some sort of scoring.

Tokens
You want scoring, then get up early and watch the power teams of the EPL on NBCSN. They show teams like Chelsea, Man. City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man. U. all the time.

BEIN Sports shows Real Madrid and Barcelona of La Liga all the time.

Fox Sports 1 shows the UEFA Champions League, where the best teams from all over Europe play in a big tournament.

Don't expect to see quality soccer in the MLS. It's just not there. The salary cap for an MLS team is $3.1 million, not counting DP's.

Man. City's team payroll for this year is more than $200 million. That's more than twice the payroll for the entire MLS.

Tokens
I was never upset. I just feel strongly about it, as you do ...

I think soccer is the worlds sport because it's simplicity, cost to play ect... I'd also argue that it's popularity is because so many can play it at a high level.

Tokens
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} </style> <![endif]--> A lot of it depends on how you define an athlete, which can cover so many different characteristics, skills, etc. Looking at things like conditioning, stamina, endurance and movement soccer players would qualify as the top of the food chain. Obviously, there is much more to being an athlete, but on these fronts there is no question.

The average soccer player covers roughly seven miles in one match and as high as ten for midfielders. There is very little movement in the big three American sports with the exception being basketball. Baseball is a sedentary sport where the best hitters for average/infielders move as much as a soccer player in one match over the course of half a season.

Football players also move very little during a game with WR/DB’s leading the way at about 1-1.3 miles per game. There is plenty of brute strength, strategy and power taking place at the line of scrimmage, but still very little movement. There are different disciplines, contact, strategy and skill sets required, of course.

Most non-US sports fans are astonished at how little action takes place in American sports. There is roughly 11 minutes during an NFL game where the ball is in play, yet a game takes about three hours and ten-twenty minutes to complete. Where does the time go? Roughly 75 minutes of watching sidelines, huddles, players standing around, etc., 60 minutes of commercials, 22 minutes of the crowd, cheerleaders, location footage, 17 minutes of replays, 12 minutes of half-time and 11 minutes of actual play.

Basketball players cover around 2.5-3.5 miles per game, which aligns with tennis, although tennis can have a higher cap on five-set, tight matches of 6-7 miles.

The whole 4.3 40 yard dash concept isn’t really relevant. Speed doesn’t necessarily make you good at a sport and that type of measurement suggests high speeds at short intervals, which doesn’t really equate to soccer. If the US wanted to take over I would assume they already would have as soccer players have some of the highest earnings potential of any athletes, much greater than the NFL or MLB. In fact, the sports with the highest earnings potential aren’t dominated by US athletes, with the exception of the NBA. The US certainly has athletes succeeding in some of these sports, but I wouldn’t say dominating or they are few and far between, like Mayweather in boxing. Men’s tennis has incredible earnings potential, I don’t follow it, but are there any relevant US tennis players? Golf provides strong earnings potential and there are certainly strong US golfers, but I wouldn’t think we dominate the sport.

Personally, I love soccer and football for what they are and I appreciate the talent and skill required to reach the highest levels. Two completely different animals, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zozospaspa
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com