Big 12 Off Season Thread 2014

Search

Tokens
Not sure if I missed it....but why is Auburn listed in that poll of Big 12 schools (and SFA & UTEP)?

Yes, EVERYONE is kicking themselves for not hiring Malzahn! Imagine the schools that could have taken him. The fact is, he was a risky hire for Auburn....considering he was a part of Chizik's coaching staff (basically, firing your head coach and promoting as assistant) - even though he did leave for a year. This has back fired on a few programs (Miami firing Coker a few years after doing the same thing, for example). Clemson seems to have done well though in this regard (when they got rid of Bowden). Tennessee did well w/ it too when they fired Majors and hired Fulmer.
Coach, this came out of the KSU football site Powercats. And these are the coaching staffs that KSU will face this season. They play Auburn on Sept. 18th. So they are just listing them in their order of difficulty. Yes, everybody is pretty much kicking themselves over Malzahan. But they could have saw the signs of how good this guy was going to be dating all the way back to his coaching days at Tulsa when he was an assistant under Todd Graham. Some think Graham's initial success came because of Malzahan. The funny part about this is Malzahan has won a national title as an assistant, and came just one play away from winning the national championship. Graham basically hasn't done anything yet. But guess who made the most money last year? Yep, Graham by about $100. But it begs the question of why is he even in Malzahan's ballpark with his salary?

Tokens
Great news to see Jordan Phillips back and practicing. When he's healthy this dude is as dominating up front as just about any player that I've seen. We're talking about Jadevon Clowney territory. Trouble is it's his back. And those kinds of problems have a bad habit of not going away.

Oklahoma football: Mike Stoops says defensive tackle Jordan Phillips a full participant in summer workouts

by Jason Kersey Published: June 23, 2014

r620-n_9cccb63082f33fdf7790179ad4fa1355.jpg
Oklahoma junior defensive tackle Jordan Phillips is fully participating in summer workouts. PHOTO BY CHRIS LANDSBERGER, THE OKLAHOMAN

EDMOND — Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops delivered a bit of good news Monday morning before playing in the Scott Verplank Foundation Invitiational at Oak Tree National.
Junior defensive tackle Jordan Phillips is fully participating in the Sooners’ summer workouts after missing most of last season with a back injury.
“Jordan’s back, participating in all our summer activities and has been pain free, and says he’s 100 times better than he was a year ago at this time, playing through, even the first (four) games, he played through some pain,” Stoops said. “We didn’t know how long it was gonna last. It just gave out there after the Notre Dame game. I think he feels much more confident in his long-term stability and our long-term position with his back.”
Phillips, who was still considered raw when he contributed occassionally as a redshirt freshman in 2012, was having a breakout season through four games.
Redshirt freshman Jordan Wade started the remaining nine games and played well, but Stoops said Phillips is a true difference maker up front when healthy.
“Jordan, if he stays healthy, he can be as dominating a player as there is in college, and disruptive up front,” Stoops said. “His size, speed and ability to react down the line of scrimmage is pretty unique for a guy that big. Hopefully he can drop some weight; he’s gained some weight over the last nine months in being unable to physically participate until this summer in a lot of our activities, but he’s got all the tools.
“We missed him inside; Jordan Wade came in and really did a nice job for us, kinda holding down that middle, but the production, it’s different, Jordan can take up the middle and make plays. That’s something we’ll be looking forward to getting him back.”

Tokens
That makes their defense even better with Jordan returning. Turnovers are important factor and a dominant force on the interior is where it all starts.

Tokens
That makes their defense even better with Jordan returning. Turnovers are important factor and a dominant force on the interior is where it all starts.
A little inside info I heard is Jordan has been working very hard to trim down and get his cardio back. He says he feels the best he ever has. But he'll know more when he puts on the pads and goes out for full contact drills. But he is VERY motivated this year. I've heard that the team is as close as can be, and it's because of the huge shift that they've had in coaching the last couple of years.

Tokens
okla will win the league...

Tokens
A little inside info I heard is Jordan has been working very hard to trim down and get his cardio back. He says he feels the best he ever has. But he'll know more when he puts on the pads and goes out for full contact drills. But he is VERY motivated this year. I've heard that the team is as close as can be, and it's because of the huge shift that they've had in coaching the last couple of years.

Mike Stoop's has finally made the transition back to an assistant coach. His system is in tact and these are the players of his choice. Finally coming together.

Tokens
Oklahoma is satisfied with there coach. His salary is about to be raised to the $5 million range that will match him equal to the Texas coach. Is he worth it....compared to the Longhorn coach...damn right.

Someone please tell the forum Stoops sorry ass record and then justify the money given Charlie Strong for his record.

CFB is out of range.......

Tokens
TCU is one of the toughest nuts for me to crack in this offseason. I've had a few disagreements with my buddies and with a couple posters here at the RX about this team over the years. And for the most part, I'm the one who has been wrong about how they would finish. One thing that I am still disagreement about however, is why they haven't been more successful. I still hold the opinion that it has nothing to do with the Frogs moving up in class to the Big 12, but because of the youth of this team, the overall depth due to injuries and the drug scandal last year. But perhaps the most important piece they have been missing is they haven't had a good QB since Andy Dalton. They still recruit on par or better than the Baylor's and the Texas Tech's of the conference. So the class excuse just doesn't fly with me.

This season I'm going to approach this team with an open mind, and not any preconceived notions about how they'll finish. Normally i would say without a good proven QB it's going to be the same old story. But there are a few things we need to consider this time: For the first time since joining the Big 12 the Frogs have more junior or above starters than freshman and sophomore starters. And basically all of these starters have seen nothing but BCS competition. So we can no longer use the "moving up in class" argument for this team since this is the only competition these starters have known. Their OL improves to 57 starts, which is probably the most they have had since entering the league. Patterson finally realized he had to make some moves to improve his offense, and has brought in two proven OC's. He claims he did this because the blue chip kids these days are easier to recruit to a HUNH offense. But we know he had no other choice if he wanted to keep up with the offenses in this league. Plus the Frogs rushing game should improve tremendously this year.

There are some things quietly going on with TCU that is making me think that they are going to be a little better than the public thinks. Of course Phil Stelle opened up a can of worms with his high #14 ranking for this team. Based on the last few seasons and 4-8 last year, perhaps a little high for this team. But keep in mind that Steele has never been too far off with his predictions for this team and where they actually finished. I read an article of Steele's a few years ago where he says traditional winning programs who have had a losing season, usually improve their season the next year by 2-3 wins. He recently did an interview on Sirius radio where he said that TCU could improve by more than those 2-3 games this year. A stretch? Maybe. But I've kept track for the last 5+ years of teams who have finished 4-8, and have found very few who haven't reached at least 6-6 or better the next year. The only exception to this trend has been the perennial losers year after year. But maybe the biggest reason why I'm cautiously optimistic about this team is the Vegas opening lines. This is usually the first thing I look at in the summer when I start to form an opinion about a team is where the Golden Nugget lines go from the opening number. And TCU has seen the biggest jump of any team in the country. So obviously the "insiders" have already formed an opinion about the Frogs. Here is an article about it that covers TCU and the other conferences. TCU has moved the lines more on average than any team in the 200 lined games so far: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...g-betting-odds-win-total-over-under/11345177/

Tokens
Holtz on Strong..."He'll win." But he better do it fast. I agree that they desperately need a good QB. That's essential in the Big 12. Without a good QB and implementing a new system, I think Strong will be given a mulligan for this season. But after this year the noose tightens considerably...Also an interesting statement Holtz made about ranking blue chip recruits...

June 30, 2014
Holtz on Strong: He'll win
Anwar Richardson
Orangebloods.com Columnist
Talk about it in Inside the 40 Acres

There have been plenty of questions engulfing University of Texas football followers since Charlie Strong was hired to replace Mack Brown earlier this year.

Does Strong have the ability to turn around the Longhorns? Can he make Texas into a national title contender again? Will he be able to successfully recruit the top high school players in Texas? Is there any chance Strong's previous success in the Big East will transfer to the Big 12?

1538839.jpg
spacer1.gif
UT Photo
spacer1.gif
Charlie Strong coached with Lou Holtz at Notre Dame and South Carolina.
All of those questions are valid.

Strong is a proven winner, but taking on a new challenge. Many supporters of the Longhorns are taking a wait-and-see approach before anointing Strong as their program's savior. Some want to see results right away. Others are willing to give Strong time.

ESPN college football analyst Lou Holtz does not believe anyone can fairly evaluate Strong as a coach until he has one important component at Texas.

"I wouldn't put any expectations on him until he finds a quarterback," Holtz said. "You tell me he has a quarterback and we'll talk about it, but if you don't have a quarterback, hell, let's just hope you show up for all 12 games."

Holtz is correct.

Longhorns quarterback David Ash is probably Strong's best option this season. However, Ash's career has been plagued with injuries, including a fractured left foot that prevented him from making it to the end of spring practice this year. Ash's injury required surgery.

Prior to Ash's recent injury, he was limited to three games last season due to a concussion. He finished with 760 passing yards, seven touchdowns and two interceptions prior to getting hurt. Ash has 4,538 passing yards, 30 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in three years.

Strong's other options are sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes and true freshman Jerrod Heard, but both players are unproven.

Of course, Holtz can accurately assess Strong. He arguably knows him better than any other coach.

Holtz mentored Strong at Notre Dame and South Carolina. Strong was a defensive line coach at Notre Dame and Holtz's defensive coordinator at South Carolina. Both men stay in touch, and it explains why Holtz believes Strong can handle the task ahead.

"Let's remember this," Holtz said. "When you go a school that has a chance every year to win the national championship, like Texas, you bet your bottom dollar there's going to be pressure on you, but that's why you go there. You go there so you can win the national championship. That's his goal. That's his expectations. The expectation in the Big East was to win the Big East. He did that. He'll live it (the expectations at Texas). He knows what he's getting into. That's why he went there.

"He wanted to play against the best. He wanted to compete against Bobby Stoops. He wanted to compete against a Bill Snyder. He isn't going to be in awe or intimidated."

So far, Strong has been criticized more than embraced.

Texas A&M has enjoyed a lot of recruiting success this offseason. The Aggies currently have verbal commitments from 10 players with four-star rankings by Rivals.com, while Strong has not made a recruiting splash yet.

Strong has three commitments from four-star players, but several notable recruits have bypassed Austin en route to another program.

However, Holtz is not a big believer of the high school ranking system.

"I was in that conference," Holtz said. "I competed against Texas and A&M and the rest of them when I was at the University of Arkansas. Many years ago, somebody did a study over five or 10 years, and here's what they found out. Over 50 percent of the 100 blue-chip athletes they had every year, less than 50 percent earned a letter in college. I do not pay attention to three stars, four stars, five stars. Much of that came down to if we offered a scholarship to somebody at Notre Dame who was unknown, all of a sudden he became a five-star, and everybody else was trying to recruit him. One parent said to me one time, 'Just offer my son a scholarship. He won't take it. Just offer him because then 30 others will come in and offer him.' That's how recruiting goes."

Holtz also explained why believes Texas A&M has more in-state recruiting momentum than Strong's program so far.

"A&M had Johnny Manziel and they're on a roll," Holtz said. "There is no more Johnny Manziel. Why would a good, outstanding defensive player want to go to A&M? Just look up the stats and what they've done the last couple of years on defense. You have to look for pluses you have. Texas has a lot going for it. A&M has always had a good program. So has Texas. He's recruiting against the people he's playing against. He'll recruit to beat Oklahoma."

Holtz believes Strong will win at Texas, but in a different way.

A recent ESPN article anonymously quoted high school coaches who were very critical of Strong. The first-year coach was picked apart for speaking too fast, not evoking belief in his program and appearing like he did not want to be at the coaching clinic. None of the coaches were willing to be quoted on-the-record, which means nobody felt strongly enough about his viewpoints to be held accountable.

Holtz did not address the article, but the former coach's description of Strong's personality explains why his business-like approach differs from Brown's charismatic personality.

"He (Strong) is very well organized," Holtz said. "He has a great drive to succeed. Just the sense of pride he has. He gets to know his players. He gives them discipline, he gives them toughness, he gives them direction, but he also gives them compassion when they need it the most. When people need love and understanding the most is usually when they deserved it the least. He'll pick a guy up when he's down, but he'll also make him the best on the field, off the field, and in the classroom.

"I have nothing but the greatest respect for Charlie Strong. Urban Meyer (former Florida coach) will tell you he missed him greatly when Charlie left to be the head coach at Louisville. I missed him greatly when he left me as my defensive coordinator. He just has a pulse. He's an excellent recruiter. He's a no-nonsense guy. He's not gimmicky. He's not slogans. He just believes in doing it the right way … People think he's not great with the media. He's a people person. He gets along great with people as long as you have something you want to do or something to (report). If you go to interview him, and you aren't prepared and you don't know anything, or you go in with an agenda that you want a story to come out a certain way, instead of going in and saying let's see where this story leads, you're going to have problems with Charlie Strong."

Strong will ultimately be judged by his success on the field, not his ability to captivate an audience.

Holtz believes Strong will win in Texas.

That is the answer every Longhorn fan wants to hear.

"He's a player's coach from the time he was with me at Notre Dame and my defensive coordinator at South Carolina," Holtz said. "He's a winner, he's a competitor, and has a great relationship with his players. He's tough. He's demanding, but he's very fair."

Tokens
Clint Trickett named WV starting QB. Let's hope all of those "wounded duck" passes were because of his injury. Seems like an odd time of year to be naming your starting QB. But Holgersen is kind of an odd dude...Looks like two FSU transfers battling it out against each other when they face Bama in that first game.

West Virginia QB Clint Trickett named starter for opener vs. Alabama

By Chip Patterson | College Writer

June 24, 2014 3:34 pm ET

Clint-Trickett-West-Virginia-2014.jpg
Clint Trickett, the listed No. 1 quarterback, sat out the spring after undergoing shoulder surgery. (USATSI)
West Virginia quarterback Clint Trickett has been named the starting quarterback for the 2014 season, Dana Holgorsen announced Tuesday.
Trickett will face arguably his toughest challenge of the season right away, facing the Alabama defense in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta on Aug. 30. After transferring from Florida State, Trickett shared the quarterbacking duties with Paul Millard and Ford Childress to mixed reviews in 2013. Trickett was listed with the first-team on the post-spring practice depth chart, and Holgorsen indicated that he has fully recovered from shoulder surgery and will hold that starting position heading into fall camp.
"Clint is 100 percent healthy and is ready to play," Holgorsen said. "He worked hard last season and showed a lot of ability and leadership and deserves the chance to lead the team as a senior. He will be our starter."
The backup quarterback spot will likely be up for grabs between Millard, Logan Moore (former wide receiver) and Skyler Howard (junior college transfer expected to redshirt) during fall camp.
When Trickett takes the field against Alabama, it is possible that he will be facing a former Florida State teammate in Jacob Coker. Coker is eligible for 2014 after transferring this summer, but Nick Saban and the coaching staff have indicated that the job is open heading into fall camp.
West Virginia and Alabama will kickoff at 3:30 p.m. ET at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. Earlier this month, the Golden Nugget set the Tide as 27.5-point favorites.

Tokens
Could this be Iowa State's best offense? It certainly doesn't hurt that Mangino is there. I would say he has a pretty keen sense of how to put together a good offense. Thank goodness they have TCU in the conference or the Clones would be dead last in offense every year. They actually led the nation in 3 and outs last year. So they have nowhere to go but up. As is the usual case in the Big 12, it will come down to QB play. If Rhodes would stop playing musical chairs with his quarterbacks, they might be able to get their act together.

Could this be the best Iowa State offense in the Paul Rhoads' era?

Tommy Birch, USA TODAY Sports 1:28 p.m. EDT July 3, 2014
1404407054000-USATSI-7502173.jpg

Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads watches his team take on the Baylor Bears during the second half at Floyd Casey Stadium.(Photo: Jerome Miron, USA TODAY Sports)

1 CONNECT 3 TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

When it comes to the Iowa State offense, there is almost no place left to go except up.
But the sky is the limit.
Key returners, a new leader and several fresh faces will contribute to what could be the best offense in the Paul Rhoads era this fall.
FOOTBALL FOUR: Rating, debating college football
There's no doubt that it at least should be one of the best in recent memory.
"I think so, for sure," Iowa State center Tom Farniok said.
It won't be too hard to top the previous bar, which wasn't set very high. The unit has finished no higher than second-to-last in the Big 12 Conference in Rhoads' first five seasons in scoring offense.
This season is expected to be different as the Cyclones return their top runner, top two ball catchers, and most of their offensive line.
The line used a total of 10 different starters last season. But that inexperience has turned into experience with virtually every player returning. Of the 60 starts made by a Cyclone offensive lineman in 2013, Iowa State returns eight players who combined to make 56 of those starts.
Then there are the running backs who return: Aaron Wimberly and DeVondrick Nealy. Wimberly, a junior-college transfer, burst onto the scene and led the team with 567 rushing yards. Nealy was almost as effective, averaging 3.9 yards per carry in a limited role during 11 games.

USATODAY
College Football Countdown | No. 99: Iowa State

Another intriguing part of the unit is the receiving corps, which returns its top two ball catchers from a season ago and adds two new faces. Wide receiver Quenton Bundrage caught 48 passes for 676 yards and nine touchdowns. Tight end E.J. Bibbs grabbed 39 catches for 462 yards and two scores. Transfer D'Vario Montgomery and heralded freshman Allen Lazard also could contribute.
And then there are the quarterbacks. The Cyclones began the season with Sam Richardson as their starter, but injuries and inconsistent play landed him on the bench. He still ended up passing for 1,397 yards and 11 touchdowns. Grant Rohach, who took over the job, threw for 1,208 yards and eight scores. Ankeny native Joel Lanning is also battling for the job.
The X-factor could be first-year offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Mark Mangino.
Excited yet? Rhoads, entering his sixth season in Ames, has said he thinks this could be his best offense.
"On paper, we've got guys that have had playing experience in this league and done some things with success," Rhoads said. "I'll be anxious to have that with the new things that we're doing with the leadership of our coaches and see what can take place."
Something needs to change for the offense, which ranked ninth last season in the 10-team league with 24.8 points per game.
Baylor led the league with a whopping 52.4 points a game.
"All those offenses in the Big 12, they're going to score points," Iowa State tight end Ben Boesen said. "Even with our defense, with as well as they've played in the past, they're going to get scored on. And we've got to continue to score and keep up with those other teams so we can get wins."
It's only July, but Big 12 media day is less than three weeks away. There seems to be excitement over what the Iowa State offense can do.
"I think it'll be a really good season," Farniok said.
Tommy Birch writes for the Des Moines Register.

Tokens
Bovada released their odds of winning the conference. I agree with them that a marginal team has a tougher time winning this conference than in a 12-14 team conference. I also think it's harder to go undefeated in a 10 team round robin conference. USC had some great teams in the Pac-10 conference. But didn't go undefeated very often even though the next best team in that conference had 2 or 3 losses. In a round robin format you don't have any rest weeks, which makes it hard to go undefeated. We've had the round robin format for 3 years, and we still haven't had an undefeated champion.

Sportsbook Bovada Posts Big 12 Championship Odds For All 10 Teams

Matt Lombardi

The 2014 college football season is right around the corner, and fans are already excited for the idea of a four-team playoff to decide the sport’s champion. While nothing is certain, it is very possible that the team that wins the Big 12 Championship winds up representing the conference in the inaugural College Football Playoff. But if that were to happen, which squad would it be? We may not know right now, but we do know which teams have the best odds – at least according to Las Vegas. Bovada has released odds on the 2014 Big 12 title – and as you’d guess, Oklahoma is right at the top.
Here they are:
Oklahoma: 4/7
Baylor: 11/4
Texas: 6/1
Oklahoma State: 9/1
Kansas State: 10/1
TCU: 15/1
Texas Tech: 33/1
West Virginia: 66/1
Iowa State: 100/1
Kansas: 100/1
As opposed to the SEC, the Big Ten, the Pac-12 and the ACC, the Big 12 does not have a championship game – meaning there is less of a chance of a marginal team winning the league.
Oklahoma, behind upstart quarterback Trevor Knight, is expected to be one of the highest-ranked teams in college football come this fall. Baylor, which actually won the conference last year before falling to UCF in the Fiesta Bowl, has the next-best odds. Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and TCU also have realistic chances. Who will it be?

Tokens
The Longhorn QB Preview. Some may not know that Ash was close to a 70% pass completion QB when he was a sophomore. His biggest problem area to me looked like the long ball. He just never had quite the touch from beyond 15-20 yards. His WR's many times had to come back for the ball. I guess we'll find out this season if he's made any improvement in that department. If he lasts that long...

Texas Longhorns 2014 Quarterback Fall Practice Preview: Depth Chart and Analysis

By Zach Shelton , Featured Columnist Jul 6, 2014

hi-res-8151ac6918f233d393c6ad282ae32454_crop_north.jpg

eric gay/Associated Press
A healthy David Ash gives Texas its best chance to win now.

Reads

Comments

David Ash is healthy and will be Texas' starting quarterback for as long as that holds true. But due to his history of injuries, the battle for the backup job could be just as important to the Longhorns' prospects for the 2014 season.
For better and worse, Case McCoy has exhausted his eligibility and will no longer be next in line behind Ash. It's a plus that we will never again see one of those wobbling sidearm lobs again on a college football field, but it leaves Texas without any experience behind Ash in fall camp.
Ash has missed 11 games and played hurt in at least two more, so that increases the chances we see a start from either Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard. In turn, there's a high bust factor for Charlie Strong's first season, but a healthy Ash could just as easily make it a 9- or 10-win campaign.

David Ash
YearG/GSPct.YardsYPATD-Int
201113/656.91,0796.24-8
201212/1267.32,6998.519-8
20133/360.97608.77-2
Total28/2163.24,3727.630-18
TexasSports.com

Ash is the swing factor this season. With him, the Longhorns will be competitive in almost every game and have a chance to hit the fan-made 10-win goal.
But if he goes down, this team is going to struggle.
He isn't one of the best quarterbacks in the country, but Ash has the ability to cover up a lot of Texas' shortcomings. As shown by his YPA in 2012 and his brief appearances in 2013, he can get the ball down the field, and do so with accuracy. That's as important as anything in the Big 12.
The issue, of course, is whether Ash do that for 12 regular-season games. He's missed 11 games with injuries to his wrist and head before missing most of the spring with a foot injury. He's mostly back from the foot injury according top 247Sports.com's Jeff Howe, but the concussions will always muddy the waters.
That combined history makes it hard to trust in a player that otherwise would inspire great confidence in the upcoming season.

Tyrone Swoopes
YearG/GSComp. Pct.YardsYPATD-Int
20136/038.5261.10-0
TexasSports.com

When you're talking about a dropoff in just about every conceivable way, the one from Ash to his backups is a prime example.
For now, Tyrone Swoopes and his 1.1 YPA are next in line should Ash succumb to another injury. He started the spring game in the junior's stead, completing 17 of his 30 passes for 229 yards and three scores. Those numbers indicate progress, but we can't forget that they came against the backups.
What Swoopes brings is a ton of potential. A better athlete now than a quarterback, the 6'5", 240-pounder can hum it downfield with the best of them and is always a threat to pick up yards with his feet. We just have no idea if he can do that in a game against an opponent's first-team defense.
The upside is there for Swoopes. But with this next guy already coming up in the system, his days as a quarterback may be numbered.

Jerrod Heard
He's here, and the future may begin sooner than expected with Jerrod Heard taking over the quarterback position.
Lost in the Howe's report about Ash's health is that Heard, the nation's top dual-threat prospect in 2014, is splitting the snaps with Swoopes. The 'Horns don't have any other options, but this kid's personality is to run with every opportunity he gets, as he told CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman:
I feel like I can play. Like coach said, it is up to me, but it's also how the situation goes.
The (QB) job is an open situation, especially with the new coaching staff and a new system coming in. It's an open job, so I'm going to try and get in, get my opportunity and take over.
And when you take a look at Heard's track record, you share the feeling. The two-time state title winner spent the summer working with George Whitfield, who has also mentored the likes of Cam Newton and Andrew Luck.
Heard is talented, well-rounded and motivated. Him seeing the field will mean some growing pains, but he will bring a level of excitement that Texas has lacked since 2009.

Tokens
Big 12 blogger David Ubben's preseason predictions for the conference. I think he's a little low with Texas.

David Ubben's PreSeason Predictions

The Big 12's preseason poll, awards and All-Big 12 team will be unveiled ahead of next week's media days in Dallas, but ballots were due on Friday.
We'll look at my entire ballot today and tomorrow, but first, a note: Some see the ballot as a prediction for what will happen in December. I do not. There are no explicit instructions on the ballot itself, though.
I see it as simply an expression of the best teams as the season begins, not a prediction. The same is true of the All-Big 12 team: It's the best players at easch position. Without further ado, here's how I voted for the preseason awards and poll.
Offensive Player of the Year: Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor.
He narrowly beats out Kansas State WR Tyler Lockett here. His pure production last season (though it slow significantly in conference play) is too much to argue with. He's only going to get better this season with a year of experience and a still-strong set of receivers.

Defensive Player of the Year: Ryan Mueller, DE, Kansas State.
Once again, you can't argue with production. Cedric Reed had a lot, but he didn't impact games last year the way Mueller did. Devonte Fields, who won the postseason DPOY in 2012, will get some votes here, but those are obviously based on a prediction, not a preseason standing. The same is true of Baylor's Shawn Oakman, who'll be an impact player in Waco, but he's never been a full-time starter. By my criteria, I don't see how you could vote for anybody but Mueller.
Newcomer of the Year: Tyreek Hill, RB/WR, Oklahoma State.
Mike Gundy is going to find ways to get Hill the ball. Period. He might find himself as a household name by October. The juco star has unreal speed, and Gundy showed this spring he'll use him in a variety of ways.
Nick Harwell at KU will get votes here, but I'm skeptical that Montell Cozart will be able to get him the ball consistently, and I also remember Charlie Weis talking up Jake Heaps a year ago like he has Harwell this offseason.
1. Oklahoma - The best team on paper ... barely. I give Oklahoma the nod because of its wealth of defensive talent and strong potential on offense. LB Eric Striker, DE Charles Tapper and CB Zack Sanchez are all studs.
2. Baylor - Big questions on defense will be masked--at least partly--by an offense that could put up 50 a game once again. I consider Baylor something of a co-favorite with the Sooners.
3. Kansas State - Don't be surprised if K-State looks like the Big 12's best team by mid-October. Bill Snyder has two of the five best players in the Big 12 and he's won all three of his Big 12 titles with a returning quarterback. Jake Waters grew up over the last half of 2013.
4. Texas Tech - The Red Raiders are my dark horse. Tech has a lot to prove up front defensively after losing Kerry Hyder, Dartwan Bush and Will Smith, but its offense is the Big 12's second-best and will keep Tech in games.
5. Oklahoma State - I've soured a bit on OSU throughout this offseason. Can J.W. Walsh be efficient enough to put the Cowboys close to the title race.
6. Texas - Texas, TCU and OU will battle for the Big 12's best defense, but Texas gets my vote. I'm a believer in Charlie Strong on that side of the ball. If QB David Ash and RB Johnathan Gray are healthy and productive this year, the Longhorns have big upside. That is, however, a big if.
7. TCU - The complete offensive overhaul this offseason surprised me, and could run into growing pains in Year 1. The Frogs' recruiting and perception across the state can't afford another season without a bowl trip.
8. West Virginia - The Mountaineers have talent sprinkled with a little desperation from the coaching staff. That could be powerful. Karl Joseph and Daryl Worley are solid in the secondary, but if Clint Trickett doesn't show improvement at QB this year, WVU won't finish anywhere close to the top half of the Big 12.
9. Iowa State - ISU's offense hasn't had this much firepower in a long, long time and Mark Mangino will be putting it together. However, ISU gave up more yards per play than any team in the Big 12 last season.
10. Kansas - Pro tip: Don't break a 27-game Big 12 losing streak and follow it up with a shutout loss to Iowa State. Despite beating WVU last year, it's hard to feel like KU is making much progress under Charlie Weis.
Come back on Tuesday for my All-Big 12 team.

Tokens
Baylor football player Jacob Kyle arrested for assault. The article doesn't really go into detail of the injuries of the person that was assaulted. But I read somewhere else that medical records showed the victim suffered a broken jaw, broken nose, chest wall contusion, displaced clavicle, lacerated ear, and human hand bite resulting in infection. Other than that he was fine. :)

Ex-Mart, Baylor football player out on bond in assault

JacobKyle

Jacob Kyle

Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:01 am
Ex-Mart, Baylor football player out on bond in assault Staff report Waco Tribune-Herald
A Baylor football player was one of three men freed on $100,000 bond after being arrested on charges stemming from a May 24 fight at BSR Cable Park.
Redshirt freshman offensive lineman Jacob Kyle, 19, of Mart, his brother Ryan Kyle, 25, a former Mary Hardin-Baylor football player, and Stuart Parsons Jr., 42, who owns the park and Parsons Roofing in Waco, were all charged with aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury.
A spokesman for Baylor said coach Art Briles is aware of the situation and monitoring it. No decision has been made about Jacob Kyle’s status with the team.

Tokens
Big 12 sleeper teams, players

The players, units and teams that could surprise this fall

Updated: July 16, 2014, 3:03 PM ET
By Phil Steele | ESPN Insider

ncf_a_charliestrong__576x324.jpg
AP Photo/Michael ThomasCharlie Strong could have the Texas defense playing at an elite level this fall.
Despite starting the 2013 season outside the top 25, the Baylor Bears won their first Big 12 championship and finished with 11 wins, the most in program history. The Oklahoma Sooners also surprised many with a No. 6 finish built on upsets of both the Oklahoma State Cowboys and Alabama Crimson Tide.This year, Baylor and Oklahoma appear to be the clear preseason favorites to win the conference. But there are at least three other teams in the Big 12 that could find their way into the top 25. That includes the TCU Horned Frogs, my most improved team for 2014.
That's where we begin these Big 12 "sleeper picks" -- the teams, units and players that could surprise this season.
1. Which team currently outside the top 25 is the best fit to pull a Baylor in 2014 and win the Big 12?

i

TCU Horned Frogs
After winning at least 11 games in six of their seven seasons playing in the Mountain West, the Horned Frogs have compiled a disappointing 11-14 overall record (6-12 in conference play) over their two years in the Big 12. Last year, TCU might have been a much stronger team had it not lost two starting linebackers in the offseason and 2012 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year Devonte Fields after just one game. While the Frogs finished just 4-8 last year, they had a chance to win in the fourth quarter or overtime in seven of the eight games they lost.
This year, TCU brings back 16 starters and adds Texas A&M transfer QB Matt Joeckel. Joeckel is a better fit for the new offense that incoming offensive coordinators Doug Meacham and Sonny Cumbie are installing, which features a high-tempo, pass-happy scheme similar to what they had at their previous stops (Houston and Texas Tech, respectively). The addition of Joeckel also might allow the Horned Frogs to move Trevone Boykin to wide receiver or running back, where he is a threat to score on any play. In any event, they'll be four deep at RB, where they're led by Nebraska transfer Aaron Green and B.J. Catalon, and will return five of their top six receivers.
The Horned Frogs have my No. 5 defensive line, No. 15 linebacking corps, No. 20 secondary and No. 11 overall defense. Fields will look to regain his 2012 form, when he notched 18 ½ tackles for a loss. Chucky Hunter is a two-time second-team All-Big 12 selection and one of the more underrated defensive tackles in the country. At linebacker, the Horned Frogs return their top three guys from last year. They also have one of the better safety combos in the country with Sam Carter and Chris Hackett.
Their schedule sets up nicely: I have them as a double-digit favorite in all three of their nonconference games, and while they do play both Baylor and Texas on the road, they beat both of them away from home in 2012. If you are looking for a team that could have a turnaround similar to what Auburn or Missouri had last year, the Horned Frogs are that team.
2. Which under-the-radar units could excel this season?

i

Texas defense
One of the major reasons the Texas Longhorns are welcoming in a new head coach in 2014 is their defensive struggles each of the past two years. Texas allowed an average of 405.5 yards per game and 27.5 points per game over that period. Luckily for the program's supporters, new head coach Charlie Strong's expertise is on that side of the ball and last year Strong's Louisville Cardinals squad led the country in total defense, allowing just 251.5 yards per game while finishing No. 2 in scoring defense with 12.2 points allowed per game.

Strong inherits eight returning starters on defense. The Longhorns are not short on talent: I rank each of their defensive units (DL, LB and DB) as the best in the Big 12. The defensive line welcomes back two All-Big 12 selections in defensive end Cedric Reed, who accounted for 19 tackles for loss last year, and nose tackle Malcom Brown, who had 12 tackles for loss.
At linebacker, the Horns return their top four players, including Jordan Hicks, who was the team's leading tackler over each of the past two seasons before season-ending injuries cut short both campaigns. Provided Hicks can stay healthy, Texas could have one of the five best linebacking corps in the nation.
In the secondary, the Longhorns return three of their four starters. Quandre Diggs has 11 career interceptions and has been a three-time All-Big 12 selection, while safety Mykkele Thompson made some big strides in the spring.
Overall, my power ratings project that the Texas defense will allow approximately 50 yards and five fewer points per game in 2014 than they have over the past couple of years. I expect this unit as a whole to mature into the best in the Big 12.
Kansas wide receivers
Over the past four years, no Jayhawks receiver has topped 500 yards receiving in a season. That could change in 2014 thanks to more consistent quarterback play and an influx of talent via transfer and position changes.
Each of the team's three leading receivers return from this season. They'll even get a boost from this same group as Tony Pierson gears up to be a full-time wideout after splitting time at running back in the past. A year after notching 1,051 combined yards rushing and receiving, Pierson dealt with a concussion last year and missed five games in 2013. He's fully healthy now, and is back to being a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Kansas head coach Charlie Weis has compared him to a version of St. Louis Rams slot receiver Tavon Austin bolstered with the speed of Dexter McCluster of the Tennessee Titans.
[+] Enlarge John Rieger/USA TODAY SportsTony Pierson is a threat to score every time he touches the ball for the Jayhawks.

The Jayhawks also welcome Nick Harwell, a transfer from Miami (OH) who has 3,166 career receiving yards and was a two-time All-MAC selection. Harwell sat out last year due to transfer rules, but was the scout team offensive player of the year. Early this spring, Weis labeled him the best WR on the team.
Rounding out the unit is former Oklahoma Sooner Justin McCay, whose career has been a disappointment to date. McCay is still extremely talented, though. Weis has compared him to Keyshawn Johnson in both the way he runs and the way he acts.
Overall, I rate the Kansas receivers as the second best in the Big 12 behind Baylor. I think the Jayhawks have the most underrated receiving corps in the country.
Which players could be in store for a breakout season?

i

DE Devonte Fields, TCU
In 2012, Fields burst on to the scene as a true freshman and won the Big 12 DPOY award while notching 10 sacks and an additional 8 ½ tackles for loss. But for Fields, last year was as bad as 2012 was good. After being suspended for the first 1 ½ games of the season, he suffered a season-ending foot injury just a few games later. Fields finished the 2013 season with just four tackles and two tackles for a loss.
There are more than a few elite players returning along defensive lines all across the Big 12. In a crowded field, Fields could be a forgotten man. Gary Patterson said in the spring that Fields was much further along in his recovery than expected. He'll get a boost from playing along the same defensive line as Hunter and opposite defensive end Terrell Lathan, who notched five sacks last year. It will be tough for opposing offenses to double-team Fields on a consistent basis. I wouldn't be shocked if Fields is a two-time Big 12 DPOY by season's end.
i

WR/RB Tyreek Hill, Oklahoma State
Under Mike Gundy, the Cowboys' offense has continuously produced elite playmakers at the skill positions. Even putting aside first-round picks Dez Bryant and two-time Biletnikoff Award winner Justin Blackmon, they had six straight 1,000-yard rushers from 2007-2012. The Cowboys rank dead last in the country in my returning experience ratings this year, so there should be an opportunity for a newcomer to step up and continue the tradition of their outstanding production.
The dynamic Tyreek Hill could fill the void. I rated Hill the No. 2 overall incoming juco player this year. Hill has already been labeled as the fastest player in Oklahoma State history after claiming a Big 12 indoor 200-meter championship this spring. Gundy has said that his goal is to get Hill a minimum of 10-15 touches per game. With his elite speed, it wouldn't surprise me if Hill becomes the next Cowboy to top either 1,000 yards receiving or rushing. He was playing both positions in the spring.

Tokens
Big 12's top 12 toss-up games

July, 16, 2014 Jul 16
6:45
AM ET

By Max Olson | ESPN.com

The computers have spoken. On Monday, we broke down the Big 12 title odds. Yesterday, we gave you in-depth win/loss projections. And now, courtesy of the recently released preseason projections from ESPN’s Stats and Information team, we're talking about the games that will decide the season.

As they stand today, ESPN's preseason predictions suggest the Big 12's biggest games this season won't really be close contests. In the Oklahoma's toughest game of the season, at home against Baylor, it's being given a 60.1 percent chance of survival as 4-point favorites.

The projections have pegged Oklahoma's chances of beating Texas in the Red River Showdown at 74.2 percent, with OU as an 8-point favorite. And Bedlam is decidedly in the Sooners' favor (70.9 percent, 8.5-point favorite) as well. So with that in mind, we're instead taking a closer look today at the 12 games that ESPN projections indicate will be true nail-biters.

Some of these might not seem like high-profile matchups, but in real life they'll go a long way toward deciding how the league standings shake out. Here are the Big 12's biggest toss-up games:

i
i
1. Kansas State at West Virginia (Nov. 20)
Projection: KSU, 50.9%

In 2012, K-State spanked WVU by a score of 55-14 for the second of the Mountaineers' five straight losses following a 5-0 start. Last season, the Wildcats needed a second-half rally with four unanswered TDs to end a three-game slide in Big 12 play. ESPN projections say KSU will enter this season's matchup mired in a four-game losing streak.

i
i
2. Texas Tech at Kansas State (Oct. 4)
Projection: KSU, 51.9%

This one wasn't close last season, as K-State ran for 291 yards in Lubbock to win 49-26, but it's a potential do-or-die game for the Wildcats simply because their next four games come against Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State and TCU. KSU is less than a 1-point favorite in the projections.

i
i
3. West Virginia at Iowa State (Nov. 29)
Projection: ISU, 52.8%

The best Big 12 game you did not watch last year was ISU's 52-44, triple-overtime victory in Morgantown. The Mountaineers might badly need this one: ESPN's projections peg them as favorites in only two of their games this season, and this is the season finale.

i
i
4. Texas at Kansas State (Oct. 25)
Projection: TEX, 53.1%

The Longhorns snapped their five-game losing streak to Kansas State last year, but they were fortunate that game was early in the season before KSU got on a roll. This game is a potential fork in the road for a Texas team projected to be 4-3 entering its trip to the Little Apple.

i
i
5. Texas at Texas Tech (Nov. 1)
Projection: TTU, 53.3%

Texas has won five in a row against the Red Raiders, who are projected at 5-3 entering this game but could easily be 7-1 or 8-0 if they win their close ones early on.

i
i
6. TCU at West Virginia (Nov. 1)
Projection: TCU, 54.8%

The battle of the Big 12 newcomers has gone to overtime in each of the past two years, and they've split those wins. The ESPN projections like TCU here, but only by a margin of 1.9 points.

i
i
7. Texas Tech at TCU (Oct. 25)
Projection: TCU, 55.9%

Texas Tech won a 56-53, triple-overtime thriller in 2012, and then a tough 20-10 win early last season to propel its win streak. If the Horned Frogs have their new (and somewhat Tech-inspired) offense rolling by the end of October, this could be another high-scoring affair.

i
i
8. Kansas State at Iowa State (Sept. 6)
Projection: KSU, 56.4%

That makes four Kansas State games on this list. The way K-State's schedule is built, the margin between 8-4 and 4-8 might be slight this season. This might seem like a gimme on the surface, but ESPN's projections say ISU is only a 2.5-point underdog.

i
i
9. Oklahoma State at TCU (Oct. 18)
Projection: OSU, 56.8%

These might be the two most unpredictable teams in the league in 2014. Either could finish as high as third or as low as seventh in the final Big 12 standings. ESPN's projections predict a five-game win streak for OSU (after losing to Florida State) heading into the matchup.

i
i
10. Iowa State at Kansas (Nov. 8)
Projection: ISU, 59%

Most assume this will be the battle for last place, and ESPN's projections agree. They have both KU and ISU with identical 2-6 records entering this contest, with each program starting 0-5 in Big 12 play.

i
i
11. Baylor at Oklahoma (Nov. 8)
Projection: OU, 60.1%

Probably our Game of the Year in the Big 12, and this time the Sooners will have home-field advantage. If the projections prove accurate, both teams would still be undefeated by this date. Baylor's average projected margin of victory in its first eight games before this showdown is 20.8 points.

i
i
12. BYU at Texas (Sept. 6)
Projection: TEX, 60.9%

We all remember what BYU did to Texas in Provo last season. The Longhorns will want revenge before they go up to Arlington, Texas, to face UCLA. Once again, do not sleep on the Cougars: ESPN projections say they're a 9-3 team in 2014.

Tokens
Here we go again with Devonte Fields. The guy was sensational as a freshman, barely there as a sophomore. And if he doesn't get to play this year, you can probably subtract one game from the TCU win column. Just another day in the Big 12.

TCU football star Fields being investigated in assault case

Posted Tuesday, Jul. 22, 2014
k3MIP.Th.58.jpeg

FORT WORTH — TCU defensive end Devonte Fields is under investigation by police after his ex-girlfriend accused him of pointing a gun at her, threatening” I should blast you!” then punching her in the head at a Fort Worth home Sunday.
Fields had allegedly left the scene before officers’ arrival, according to a Fort Worth police report.
“Devonte Fields has been listed as a suspect on a domestic disturbance in Fort Worth,” confirmed Sgt. Raymond Bush, a police spokesman. “He has not been arrested.”
Fields, who only played three games last year because of injury, has been selected as the preseason defensive MVP of the Big 12. He is also on the watch list for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which is presented annually to the nation's top defensive player, and the Walter Camp Award, presented to the nation's best overall player.
Police had been called to a domestic disturbance about 3:30 a.m. Sunday in the 2700 block of Lubbock Avenue in Fort Worth.
There, 20-year-old Haley Brown told officers that Fields had apparently been standing outside the bedroom window listening to her talk to a mutual male friend. Brown told police Fields then punched out the window of their friend’s bedroom from the outside and began yelling at her.
“Haley stated that she thought Devonte was holding a gun in one of his hands and stated that he pointed it at her,” the report states.
“I should blast you!” he yelled at Haley, according to the report.
The report states Fields then came to the home’s front door and was let inside by their mutual friend’s roommate.
“Haley stated that Devonte continued to yell at her and punched her in the face one time with a closed fist,” the report states
Officers observed Haley’s right cheek to be swollen with a small cut her eye. She refused to be taken to the hospital for further evaluation and told officers she did not want to pursue charges against Fields.
Police, however, told her that a report and family violence packet must be completed.
Haley told police she had dated Fields, a former standout player at Arlington Martin High School, for two years but that the couple had broken up on June 1.
In January, Fields had reported to Fort Worth police that he was robbed and beaten in a struggle involving gunfire outside him residence in the 3200 block of South University Drive.
One of the robbers reportedly had a semiautomatic handgun, and officers later collected five spent .40-caliber shell casings from the front yard.
Fields however later told police that he did not want officers to look inside his residence and that “he did not want to press charges,” according to a police report.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/0...all-star-fields-being.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myshardauniversity
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com