Big 12 Off Season Thread 2014

Search

Tokens
GS: Mayfield is a tough competitor and might be more consistent than Knight over the long run of a season. Knight had a great bowl game but that was by far his best game of the year and he had plenty of time to prepare for that game. Mayfield might be better on the regular season game rotation. I still don't see how a school can block a player who was a walk-on and not on scholarship. Does not make sense but then again that is the NCAA for you.
Shows you how desperate Kingbury was the keep what was left of his QB's. He knew he had something good with Mayfield. The rest of those players, maybe not so much. Still not sure why 5 QB's abandoned ship. Maybe KK was stealing their fat lil girlfriends.
Rolling-Eyes.gif
That still remains one of my favorite Mike Leach rants. Regardless of what Knight does or how much he's improved, I just don't think the kid can stay healthy for 3 more years. He was hurt twice last season, and couldn't even finish the OSU game. The uncertainty at QB was part of the reason why OU was such a big underdog to Bama in their bowl game. I wasn't even 100% sure Knight was going to start that game, much less have the kind of game he had. That basically came out of nowhere. Last season you never knew from game to game what OU's QB situation was going to be. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be different this year, because I seriously doubt that Mayfield will get approved by the NCAA to play this year.

Tokens
Reverse psychology?

Charlie Strong breaks the news, Texas will not play for a national title in 2014

By Graham Watson
3 hours ago

Dr. Saturday

Charlie Strong's Texas-wide bus tour started in Fort Worth on Monday and the first-year coach didn't mince words.

He didn't wow the crowd with inspriational prose or make empty promises, he told the truth, which was probably a little difficult for some Longhorn fans to hear.

"We have everything available, and I don't know why we can't be successful," Strong said. "There's no reason for us not to be. Now, I can't tell you how soon it's going to be. Don't hold me to that. Don't say, 'Ooh, coach said next year we'll be in the national…' We will not be in the national championship game."

This is what happens when Texas' new coach stops being polite and starts getting real, welcome to the Real World Austin starring Charlie Strong.

He's not trying to crush the hopes and dreams of Longhorn fans across the state, he's just trying to tell it like it is.

Tokens
There are some, not all, Longhorn fans that are still lamenting the loss of Mack Brown. They definitely have a new HC who is not going to tell them what they want to hear that is for sure. The program got caught up in the financial success of the program and gave Mack way too long to ground the program. Remember last season Strong had a QB who made it look easy and without such a QB things could change for Strong also. I am not absolutely sure he was the right fit but we shall see. He is indirectly buying some time.

Tokens
[h=1]TCU's Brandon Carter arrested[/h]Updated: April 23, 2014, 4:16 PM ET
By Jake Trotter | ESPN.com

[h=5]TCU WR Brandon Carter Arrested[/h]ESPN Big 12 reporter Max Olson discusses Brandon Carter being arrested on suspicion of possession of marijuana.Tags: Brandon Carter, arrest, marijuana, headlines, TCH Horned Frogs

TCU WR Brandon Carter Arrested
TCU wide receiver Brandon Carter was arrested Tuesday night by police in Fort Worth, Texas, on suspicion of possession of marijuana.
According to the police report, Carter was detained after police ran the license plate on a 2010 Lexus and found the car had a "warrant hit." After conducting a traffic stop, police arrested Carter and Alexis Harris, 22, for allegedly possessing less than two ounces of marijuana. The report stated that Carter had been driving but that Harris is the car's owner.
[+] Enlarge Ronald Martinez/Getty ImagesTCU receiver Brandon Carter caught 31 passes for 370 yards last season but failed to find the end zone after scoring nine TDs during his first two seasons.

Carter was released from the Mansfield jail Wednesday morning on a pre-trial release, according to the jail's records.
"The university and the athletics department are aware of the arrest and are looking into details surrounding it." TCU spokeswoman Lisa Albert said. "In general, if a student is alleged to be in violation of the university's student code of conduct, they are afforded a disciplinary hearing to determine personal responsibility. Upon determination, the student may face consequences from the university, and possibly the football team, above and beyond any legal consequences the student might face."
After a breakout sophomore season in 2012, Carter was expected to be the Horned Frogs' top receiver last year.
Instead, he spent most of the season in the doghouse and finished without a touchdown catch after reeling in nine in his first two years. He was also granted a temporary leave of absence from the team in November.
Carter was not with the team during spring practice so that he could focus on academics.
The incident is the latest in a series of arrests of TCU players on drug-related charges.
In February, wide receiver LaDarius Brown, who tied for the team-lead in receptions last season, was kicked off the team after being arrested on suspicion of marijuana possession.
In February 2012, four players were arrested in a drug sting and dismissed from the team.

Tokens
With all of these pot arrests to his players, Patterson probably wishes TCU was in Colorado. WR Ladarius Brown also succumed to that devilish drug. Does TCU even have a WR left to catch the ball? Unless Boykin can throw to himself I think they might be screwed.

Tokens
With all of these pot arrests to his players, Patterson probably wishes TCU was in Colorado. WR Ladarius Brown also succumed to that devilish drug. Does TCU even have a WR left to catch the ball? Unless Boykin can throw to himself I think they might be screwed.

It never seems to stop the last few years. Brandon Carter seems to be a huge head case. He was great his fresh year, and last year it seemed like he lost it mentally. I pray Boykin doesn't play qb. They have Echolls-Luper and a couple freshman they are pretty high on. Really need Boykin playing wr

Tokens
It never seems to stop the last few years. Brandon Carter seems to be a huge head case. He was great his fresh year, and last year it seemed like he lost it mentally. I pray Boykin doesn't play qb. They have Echolls-Luper and a couple freshman they are pretty high on. Really need Boykin playing wr
Did Matt Joeckel ever officially sign with TCU? If so i think he could be your temporary answer at QB so they can can move Boykin to WR. Seems like with the two new coordinators that TCU is bringing in that Joeckel would be a better fit than the other QB's on the roster because of his familiarity with the same system after backing up Manziel at A&M.

Tokens
Joeckel is firmly committed to TCU. I'm not sure if he has already earned his degree or is finishing up this semester at A&M.

By earning his degree, he will be eligible to play this season.

Tokens
Joeckel is firmly committed to TCU. I'm not sure if he has already earned his degree or is finishing up this semester at A&M.

By earning his degree, he will be eligible to play this season.
I knew that he had already graduated and would be eligible. I just wasn't sure if he had actually already enrolled in grad school at TCU and signed. I haven't heard much buzz about him from the TCU fans. But I think he could be their answer if he's fully committed. And I think it would at least take a little pressure off of WR if Boykin can fully commit to the position.

Tokens
ESPN will be releasing their Big 12 depth analysis one team at a time. First up is Baylor. Their biggest concern by far will be the CB position..

• ESPN Big 12 Blog: Spring depth chart analysis: Baylor

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...espnapi_public

By Jake Trotter | ESPN.com

Over the next two weeks, we’ll be analyzing the depth charts of every Big 12 team coming out of the spring. We start with Baylor, which released an official two-deep shortly after concluding spring ball in early April.

ncf_u_bayqb_cr_200x300.jpg

Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports
    Can Bryce Petty be even better this season?

OFFENSE

QB: Bryce Petty (Sr.), Seth Russell (So.)

The Bears have one of the top returning quarterbacks in college football in Petty, who was phenomenal last year in his first season as a starter. With a year of experience under his belt, there’s no reason to believe he won’t be better in 2014. Russell performed well in limited duty last year, suggesting the Bears could survive at least a minor injury to Petty.

RB: Shock Linwood (So.) or Devin Chafin (So.), Johnny Jefferson (RFr.), Terence Williams (Fr.)

The Bears boast four potentially outstanding runners who all have at least three seasons of eligibility remaining. Linwood finished sixth in the Big 12 in rushing last season, despite backing up Lache Seastrunk and Glasco Martin. Jefferson, however, was the back who created the most buzz during the spring. The 5-foot-11, 200-pounder looks poised to give the Bears a dynamic home-run threat to complement the rest of the backfield. It’s not often a program can lose two talents like Seastrunk and Martin and remain loaded.

WR: Antwan Goodley (Sr.), Davion Hall (Fr.)

WR: Jay Lee (Jr.) or Robbie Rhodes (So.), Quan Jones (RFr.)

IR: Corey Coleman (So.) or Clay Fuller (Sr.), Cal Spangler (Jr.)

IR: Levi Norwood (Sr.), Lynx Hawthorne (So.)

TE: Tre’von Armstead (So.) or Gus Penning (Jr.), Jordan Feuerbacher (Fr.)

Despite graduating all-conference performer Tevin Reese, the Bears should easily have the deepest collection of pass-catchers in the Big 12. Coleman was tremendous all spring, capped by a 47-yard receiving effort in the spring game. He and Rhodes could have breakout campaigns in their second years in the rotation. Goodley is one of the two best wideouts in the league along with Kansas State’s Tyler Lockett, and Lee, Fuller and Norwood are all proven commodities. More firepower is on the way this summer, including hotshot freshman K.D. Cannon, who looks like a virtual lock to crack the rotation somewhere.

LT: Spencer Drango (Jr.), Pat Colbert (Jr.)

LG: LaQuan McGowan (Jr.) or Blake Muir (Jr.)

C: Kyle Fuller (So.), Tyler Edwards (Sr.)

RG: Desmine Hilliard (Jr.), Jarell Broxton (Jr.)

RT: Troy Baker (Sr.), Tyler Edwards (Sr.)

The Bears lose unanimous All-American guard Cyril Richardson, but will get a huge boost if Drango makes a full recovery from a back injury he suffered late last season. With Drango out, Baylor’s blindside pass protection also suffered the final month of the season. When healthy, Drango is one of the best pass-protecting left tackles in the country. Baker, who started as a sophomore, returned late last season after tearing his ACL last spring to reclaim his starting job, which he held through the spring. With Hilliard returning at guard, Fuller locking down the starting job at center and other quality depth inside, the Bears should be very solid on the offensive line -- provided Drango can get healthy and Baker can stay healthy at the bookends.

ncf_u_bayts_200x300.jpg

Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports
    Shawn Oakman has elevated his game.

DEFENSE

RE: Shawn Oakman (Jr.), K.J. Smith (RFr.)

NT: Andrew Billings (So.), Suleiman Masumbuko (Jr.)

DT: Beau Blackshear (Jr.) or Javonte Magee (So.), Byron Bonds (So.)

LE: Jamal Palmer (Jr.), Sam Ukwuachu (Jr.)

Last week, Baylor coach Art Briles said he’d put his top-seven defensive linemen against any other top seven in college football. The unit still has a lot to prove to reach that level, but there’s no denying the potential. Oakman elevated his game to another level this spring, and was basically unblockable. He’s a candidate to be an All-Big 12 performer even in a league that’s stocked at defensive end. The fact that Magee is listed as a co-starter with Blackshear -- a starter last season -- underscores what the coaching staff thinks of Magee, who before taking last year off due to personal matters was among the most highly touted recruits Briles had ever signed. This group is high on ability, and has the capability to prove their coach right in the fall.

WLB: Aiavion Edwards (So.), Taylor Young (RFr.) or Raaquan Davis(RFr.)

MLB: Bryce Hager (Sr.), Grant Campbell (Jr.) or Kendall Ehrlich (So.)

Hager missed the final four games of last season due to a groin injury, which also kept him out this spring. But Hager is about as reliable as it gets in the Big 12, having earned second-team all-conference honors the last two years. Edwards is the one to watch. He was given the first nod on the weak side, after playing in the middle last season and in the spring in place of Hager. But he’ll have to perform to fend off the competition, including Young, who impressed defensive coordinator Phil Bennett during the spring with his nose for the ball.

NB: Collin Brence (Sr.), Pat Levels (So.)

CB: Terrence Singleton (So.), Ryan Reid (So.)

CB: Xavien Howard (So.) or Chris Sanders (Jr.)

DS: Orion Stewart (So.), Alfred Pullom (RFr.)

CS: Terrell Burt (Jr.), Taion Sells (So.)

This unit comprises by far the biggest question mark on the team. The Bears should be in good shape at safety. Burt, the only returning starter in the group, will be back shortly from offseason shoulder surgery that kept him out of a spring ball. Briles also singled out Stewart for having a very promising spring as the replacement for All-American Ahmad Dixon. After a series of injury setbacks early in his career, Singleton returned to win a starting job at corner, at least for now. Howard also showed a ton of promise during the spring, but he’ll have competition from Sanders, one of the top juco corners in the country, who had a shoulder injury this spring. Brence, a walk-on, was the biggest surprise in the secondary, and is listed as the starter at nickelback. How this untested unit comes together could ultimately determine whether the Bears repeat as Big 12 champs.​

Tokens
Baylor WR Rhodes arrested. I don't get it with these players. When will they learn that they can smoke all of the weed they want in their dorms or off campus housing. Why are these dudes constantly getting caught for smoking and driving when all it could takes is one or two pullovers to ruin their careers.

Baylor WR arrested on drug charge

Updated: May 3, 2014, 4:49 PM ET
Associated Press

WACO, Texas -- Baylor University sophomore wide receiver Robbie Rhodes reportedly is free on bond after his arrest on marijuana possession and evidence tampering charges.
Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton told the Waco Tribune-Herald that an officer stopped Rhodes about 4 a.m. Friday for changing lanes without a signal on Spur 2 on the edge of downtown. Swanton said the officer smelled marijuana when he approached the driver's side window and found almost 6 grams of marijuana in a plastic bag under the front seat.
Swanton said the tampering charge arose from Rhodes trying to hide the drugs.
Coach Art Briles told the newspaper he would address the situation but had no other comment.
Rhodes made 10 catches for 157 yards as a freshman.

Tokens
Did Matt Joeckel ever officially sign with TCU? If so i think he could be your temporary answer at QB so they can can move Boykin to WR. Seems like with the two new coordinators that TCU is bringing in that Joeckel would be a better fit than the other QB's on the roster because of his familiarity with the same system after backing up Manziel at A&M.

As far as I know he is but your right it has been a quiet deal. And I've been out of the loop the last month or two

Tokens
Not so long ago...no one gave a rats ass about anything Baylor did.

Times are a changing........

Coach Briles...you are on the radar sir....get used to it

Tokens
David Sams leaves Kansas State. Could be a huge loss if the starting QB Waters gets hurt.

[h=1]Explosive Sams is a key loss for K-State[/h]May, 13, 2014 May 13
10:30
AM ET

By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com

Kansas State will have one less weapon at its disposal this fall.

Ed Zurga/Getty ImagesDaniel Sams accounted for 1,261 total yards and 15 scores last season.

Daniel Sams decision to leave KSU is a clear step backward for the Wildcats offense as the former quarterback turned receiver was one of the Big 12’s most explosive players. In 2013, he was a useful and versatile weapon, leading all Big 12 quarterbacks with 807 rushing yards, ranking No. 3 in the conference in Total QBR (83.4 on a scale of 100 with 50 being average) and tied for fifth in the Big 12 with 11 touchdowns.

This spring, Sams moved to receiver and failed to make a mark in the offense, likely sparking his plan to transfer. He had two receptions for 9 yards in the spring game.

Sams' transfer takes away options for Bill Snyder’s offense, a group searching for playmakers after the departures of running back John Hubert and receiver Tramaine Thompson. Even if Sams never found his footing at receiver this fall, he still could have been a valuable weapon as a Wildcat quarterback in short yardage situations and provided a quality safety net behind starting quarterback Jake Waters.

Redshirt freshman Jesse Ertz and sophomore Joe Hubener are battling to be Waters’ backup, leaving the Wildcats with inexperienced signal-callers behind their senior starter. Hubener played in one game last season with no pass attempts, while Ertz redshirted.

The Wildcats should be fine at receiver with Tyler Lockett, arguably the conference’s top receiver, and Curry Sexton, who brings veteran experience to the group. Deante Burton, Andre Davis and Judah Jones also could help fill the playmaking void in KSU’s passing game.

On the surface, Sams’ departure doesn’t look like a major setback as he saw limited action for KSU in the home stretch of the 2013 season, with just one pass attempt and nine carries for 23 yards in the final three games of the year.

But, make no mistake: Sams was one of KSU’s top 11 players on the offensive side of the ball. Snyder would have found a way to use him, even in special situations, to help the Wildcats create problems for defenses. Even though they have done it before, Sams’ big-play ability will be tough to replace and creates one more obstacle between the Wildcats and their hopes of winning their second Big 12 title in three seasons.

Tokens
Sooner, I think the third game hosting Auburn will tell us a lot about Kansas State. On the flipside, could tell us a lot about Auburn.

I don't know how Snyder does it on such a consistent basis in Manhattan...but he does.

Looking forward to watching the Auburn game

RX Old-Timer
Tokens
i always thought they should have moved Sams to RB. He's was probably their most dynamic player, he just was not a very good passer.

RX Old-Timer
Tokens
Sooner, I think the third game hosting Auburn will tell us a lot about Kansas State. On the flipside, could tell us a lot about Auburn.

I don't know how Snyder does it on such a consistent basis in Manhattan...but he does.

Looking forward to watching the Auburn game
Clover, the state of Kansas is a JUCO heaven. Snyder uses those JUCO's to fill in holes yearly. Gets them in for 2 yrs and then off they go. He's a great a evaluating talent as it relates to his needs. Might not be anyone better

Tokens
why academics matter

Oklahoma State’s football program will take an APR hit today when the NCAA releases its latest numbers.

The fallout: a loss of one practice day per week, according to a source within the athletic program.
As first reported by GoPokes.com and confirmed through the university source, OSU’s APR – Academic Progress Rate – numbers will fall below the NCAA minimum requirement, which is 930 spanning a four-year period, or 940 over a two-year period.
OSU fell a fraction of a point shy of avoiding penalty, with its number at 929.41 for the last four years. Had the Cowboys been at 929.50, the number would have been rounded up, meaning they missed by nine-one-hundreds of a point. The Cowboys avoided a more damaging postseason ban.

Tokens
why academics matter

Oklahoma State’s football program will take an APR hit today when the NCAA releases its latest numbers.

The fallout: a loss of one practice day per week, according to a source within the athletic program.
As first reported by GoPokes.com and confirmed through the university source, OSU’s APR – Academic Progress Rate – numbers will fall below the NCAA minimum requirement, which is 930 spanning a four-year period, or 940 over a two-year period.
OSU fell a fraction of a point shy of avoiding penalty, with its number at 929.41 for the last four years. Had the Cowboys been at 929.50, the number would have been rounded up, meaning they missed by nine-one-hundreds of a point. The Cowboys avoided a more damaging postseason ban.
You would think this is going to hurt OSU more this year than in most years because they are so young across their roster. They need every day and hour of practice time they can get. Tough penalty on the Pokes. And it will be even tougher if they don't get that APR up.

Tokens
Anthlon has come out and has OU at number #4. I believe Lindy's has OU at #3. Which is fine with me. But the Sooners are a tough team to predict this season, as they will live or die on if Knight shows up. And lets be realistic, he's not always going to be Suger Bowl Knight. And Huepel isn't always going to call a perfect Sugar Bowl type game. As we saw last year against Texas/Baylor.

ad
2014 College Football Rankings: #4 Oklahoma

By Athlon Sports, 5/22/14, 9:00 AM EDT
COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2014 PRESEASON TOP 25

okstate.png
#4 Oklahoma Sooners

NATIONAL FORECAST
Big 12 PREDICTION

HEAD COACH: Bob Stoops, 160-39 (15 years) | OFF. COORDINATOR: Jay Norvell, Josh Heupel | DEF. COORDINATOR: Mike Stoops

With 16 starters and a favorable schedule, Oklahoma is poised for a run at college football’s national title. The Sooners ended 2013 on a high note by defeating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. The victory over the Crimson Tide provided plenty of offseason momentum and showcased the development of quarterback Trevor Knight. The sophomore is the x-factor for Oklahoma in 2014. If Knight takes the next step in his development, his emergence will add to a team that has one of the nation’s top defenses, as well as a favorable path to an undefeated record.

Follow the top 25 on Twitter @AthlonSports and join the debate at #Athlon25.

Previewing Oklahoma’s Offense for 2014:
TrevorKnight300.jpg
Oklahoma played three quarterbacks last year against Oklahoma State in the regular-season finale. Then Trevor Knight provided clarity for the position, producing a breakthrough performance in a stunning Sugar Bowl win over Alabama, whom he torched for 348 yards and four touchdowns, walking off with the Most Valuable Player trophy and walking into 2014 as the No. 1 quarterback.
Knight will still have to prove he can be consistent, an issue that plagued him as a redshirt freshman a year ago. But the belief inside the program is that the Sooners have something special in Knight, a dual-threat operator who’s been creating a buzz since arriving on campus. Knight will be pushing those around him, too, as the Sooners move ahead without their top rushers, receivers and linemen from 2013.
At Oklahoma, there’s a “next up” mentality. And it’s in play again, amid a sense that there’s a cast of playmakers ready for their shot. Sophomores Alex Ross and Keith Ford are former premium prospects working to earn the feature running back role, yet both will have to hold off incoming freshman and five-star recruit Joe Mixon — a tantalizing combination of speed and power.
Sterling Shepard gives the Sooners a proven and productive receiver who’s ready to thrive as the primary target. Beyond Shepard, inexperience is a concern, although coaches are confident reliable receivers will emerge, including at tight end, which gets renewed emphasis in the passing game.
The offensive line loses All-America center Gabe Ikard, yet the unit is experienced and anchored by senior tackles Tyrus Thompson and Daryl Williams.

Athlon's Cover 2 Podcast Previews the Oklahoma Sooners for 2014:

Previewing Oklahoma’s Defense for 2014:
Order a copy of Athlon's 2014 Big 12 Preview, which includes an in-depth look at all 10 teams, features and predictions for the upcoming season.
The front seven projects to be among the best in the Big 12, if not the nation. On the line, there’s talent and depth, headlined by first-team All-Big 12 end Charles Tapper, who produced 5.5 sacks a year ago as a sophomore. Linebacker may be the team’s greatest strength, starting with Eric Striker, who led OU with 6.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for a loss. He’s an attacking and disrupting presence whose energy flows through the entire defense. “He’s not only a great player, he has a great feel for the game, and that’s what great players do,” says defensive coordinator Mike Stoops.Dominique Alexander, the Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year in 2013, also returns after finishing second on the team with 80 tackles. The biggest concern exiting spring was the status of leading tackler Frank Shannon, who was facing possible disciplinary action for an alleged sexual assault.
In the secondary, youngsters will be under fire to hold up the back end, and perhaps, the defense overall. Cornerback Zack Sanchez returns off a Freshman All-America season that saw him lead the team in passes defended. And there’s optimism that OU’s next wave of defensive backs have simply waited their turn.
Previewing Oklahoma’s Specialists for 2014:
Michael Hunnicutt made 24-of-27 field goal attempts in leading the Sooners in scoring last fall when he was a semifinalist for the Groza Award. Jed Barnett averaged 41.7 yards per punt, with more than a third of his boots downed inside the 20. There’s a search for return men, but several candidates are on hand, with Mixon and Shepard offering intriguing possibilities.
Final Analysis
The pulse of a program changed dramatically with wins over in-state rival Oklahoma State and Alabama at the end of last season. Reasons for optimism are plenty, from Knight to a talented cast of playmakers and a stout defense to a schedule set up to accommodate ambitious goals.
These Sooners can win. And win big.

Five Reasons Why Athlon Sports is Picking Oklahoma No. 4
1. Trevor Knight’s development
Screen+Shot+2014-05-20+at+2_10_33+PM.png
No, we aren’t expecting to see the same Trevor Knight that gashed Alabama’s secondary for 348 yards and four touchdowns in the Sugar Bowl, but he should continue his development in 2014. Although the performance against Alabama was clearly Knight’s best game last year, he also played a big role in Oklahoma’s 41-31 victory over Kansas State by accounting for 253 total yards and two scores. Even with the turnover at receiver, Knight is set to show major improvement as a passer and will continue to hurt defenses with his legs.
2. An elite defense?
Oklahoma’s defense allowed 5.4 yards per play in Big 12 games last season and finished No. 2 in the conference by allowing 22.1 points per game through 13 contests. With eight starters back (nine if Frank Shannon returns to the team), the Sooners should have one of the nation’s top defenses. The front seven is loaded with talent, and the return of tackle Jordan Phillips will help improve a run defense that struggled at times in 2013. Replacing Aaron Colvin is coordinator Mike Stoops’ biggest offseason priority, but sophomore Zack Sanchez is ready to step up into the No. 1 role. With speed, talent and depth, Oklahoma will have one of the nation’s best defenses in 2014.
3. The schedule
Outside of Florida State, the team with the easiest path to an unbeaten record among programs in a power conference has to be Oklahoma. The Sooners host Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Baylor and play Texas in Dallas. The toughest road games would appear to be against West Virginia and TCU, as well as a matchup at Texas Tech one week after hosting Baylor. Without a tough non-conference game or road date against a top-25 team for 2014, the Sooners have a favorable path to college football’s playoff.
4. A consistent winner at Oklahoma
The Big 12 picks meeting at Athlon Sports featured healthy debate between Baylor and Oklahoma for the No. 1 spot in the conference. The edge went to the Sooners, and a big reason why was the overall consistency and recruiting level of the program. Oklahoma has won at least 10 games in seven out of the last eight years, and Bob Stoops is one of the nation’s best coaches. Outside of Texas, the Sooners have the best roster (according to recruiting rankings) in the Big 12). Baylor should be one of the nation’s top 10-15 teams in 2014, but the Bears have to reload on defense and replace standout guard Cyril Richardson. With an edge in talent, a favorable schedule and a rising star at quarterback, Oklahoma should reclaim the top spot in the Big 12 this year.
5. Special Teams
Special teams are often underrated or forgotten in preseason predictions. The Sooners have one of the nation’s top kickers in Michael Hunnicutt, and punter Jed Barnett averaged 41.7 yards per kick last year. Jalen Saunders will be missed on punt returns, while Roy Finch departs as the top kick returner. However, incoming freshman Joe Mixon could help in this department, and top receiver Sterling Shepard may replace Saunders as the top punt returner.

- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ns-no-4-oklahoma-sooners#sthash.NcWjZQHx.dpuf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giaoduc783
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com