Big 12 Off Season Thread 2014

Search

Tokens
Thanks for all the Big 12 information, as always. Will you be paying alot more attention to this conference this year on your site?

Tokens
Thanks for all the Big 12 information, as always. Will you be paying alot more attention to this conference this year on your site?
Insiders...I'll be going almost exclusively with the Big 12 this season. Which means I'll probably be more like our Saturday Edge Big 10 expert Maggiore, who basically plays about 2 to 3 games a week at most. With capping just a 10 team conference, and with the conference having a bye week for 2 of it's teams each week, it leaves just 4 games a week to try to cap. If I have trouble finding at least two games out of those 4, then I may play a game out of conference if I see something that looks like it has some value.

Tokens

Bob Stoops: OU defense 'light years' ahead

April, 1, 2014
Apr 1

1:30

PM ET

By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has some scary words for the rest of the Big 12.

When asked about his defense this spring, the Sooners' veteran coach left no doubt he was pleased about the progress of that unit.

[+] Enlarge
Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesEric Striker is working at outside linebacker and nickelback this fall for the Sooners.

"We're light years ahead of a year ago," he said.

A year ago the OU defense was in flux. It was obvious that changes were needed, but the search for an identity continued throughout the spring of 2013. OU eventually settled into a switch from a 4-3 base defense to a 3-4 look, and finished atop the conference in fewest yards allowed (350.2) and fewest passing yards allowed (212.6).

This season, defensive coordinator Mike Stoops and the rest of OU's defensive staff are using the spring to expand and improve their defensive system, tinkering to find the best way to deploy an athletic and young group of defenders.

"A year ago we weren't in systems yet," Bob Stoops said. "Now we're not only in it, we're expanding it and polishing it out. We're giving these guys some roles of dropping and rushing. I'm starting to feel, with Mike and the defensive coaches, we're getting our guys in the best spots, and I think it will really help us."

Linebacker Eric Striker, a coaches' second-team All-Big 12 selection, has spent time working on his pass coverage skills at the nickelback position after finishing his sophomore season with 10.5 tackles for loss, including 6.5 sacks. The ultimate goal is to put Striker in the best position to make plays as a junior while also developing his versatility as a defender.

"On normal yardage [downs] we probably rushed Julian (Wilson) twice as much as we did Eric," Bob Stoops said. "We get in third down and Eric always rushed. First and second downs, it can be a little bit reversed. That's all we're saying, giving him more opportunities to do what he does best."

Even with the success the OU defense had in 2013 as the foundation of a 11-2 season, Mike Stoops looks back on last season as a learning experience. Last spring was about finding a system and an identity. This spring is about expanding and improving the current system.

"I think you learn a lot and you can add," Mike Stoops said. "We are so good at some things now that we can continue to tinker with different calls in how we want to do it. We continue to expand in little ways. We are not going to change a whole bunch. I think we will add more to our package as we go along."

Tokens
It looks like they can't leave well enough alone. They've changed the name of the OU/Texas game yet again from the Red River Rivalry to the AT&T Red River Showdown. Maybe it's just me, but I still call games or bowls by their names without putting Waste Management or Weed Eater in front of it. AT&T can bite me.

Tokens
went to wvu practice yesterday...trickett ,qb, who started most games is sitting out this spring....the rest of the qbs look awful. if any of them play, look for wvu to win 3-4 games...

Tokens
Despite the way Oklahoma finished last season, this year will be no walk in the park for the Sooners to win the conference or make the playoffs. Especially if they have to get through their schedule undefeated. If you believe bye weeks matter, OU's schedule is pretty brutal. The 4 teams that will have bye weeks before OU are OSU, Tech, KSU, ISU. Which are 3 of OU's 5 toughest opponents in conference. Here is a breakdown of how many times each team faces an opponent coming off a bye week:

OU-4
OSU-3
KU-3
Texas-2
Tech-2
Baylor-2
ISU-2
KSU-1
WV-1

Additionally, with the way the schedules break, here are the number of times each team gets a bye week before playing a Big 12 opponent.

OU-3
OSU-3
Baylor-3
ISU-3
Texas-2
Tech-2
KSU-2
WV-2
TCU-1
KU-1

OU and OSU both face a good number of teams coming off a bye week. But they do get 3 bye weeks each. Texas is kind of middle of the pack. Kansas schedule is awful. But their team is too. So it may not matter. Baylor and KSU looks like they fared the best. Here is a breakdown of the record for each Big 12 coach with extra time to prepare (2 weeks or more).

Kliff Kingsbury 4 (wins) 6 (games) for 67% wins off a bye week. But only one season. He's 4-2 against the spread (ATS)

Gary Patterson 34-60 57% 34-26 ATS

Charlie Strong 13-23 56% 13-10 ATS

Bill Snyder 36-64 56% 36-28 ATS

Mike Gundy 18-34 53% 18-16 ATS

Art Briles 20-40- 50% 20-20 ATS

Bob Stoops 27-56 48% 27-29 ATS

Paul Rhodes 7-16 44% 7-9 ATS

Charlie Weis 7-19 37% 7-12 ATS

Dana Holgersen 4-13 37% 4-9 ATS

Tokens
Interesting...It looks like Snyder is going to move QB Sams to WR. Sams started all 13 games last year, and rushed for over a thousand yards with 15 touchdowns. But Waters came on strong in the second half of the season. They think an awful lot of this guy, as well as the media. They have rated senior Jake Waters the number two QB in the conference behind Petty of Baylor and ahead of Knight at OU.

Bill Snyder says K-State’s Daniel Sams is adjusting to new position

• By Kellis Robinett
  • The Wichita Eagle

• Published Tuesday, April 8, 2014, at 4:26 p.m.

• Travis Heying/ The Wichita Eagle | Buy this photo
    Daniel Sams stiff-arms Baylor defender Ahmad Dixon during a game in October. Sams is making a position switch from quarterback to receiver this spring.

MANHATTAN — For Daniel Sams, the future is clear.
The junior Kansas State playmaker has switched positions from quarterback to wide receiver, and if all goes well during spring practices, he will stay there for the remainder of his college career.
“Right now he is just focusing at the wide receiver position,” K-State coach Bill Snyder said Tuesday during his first football news conference of the spring. “That doesn’t eliminate anything, it’s just he wants to play there. I am going to give him the opportunity.”
Sams saw action at quarterback in all 13 games last season, amassing 1,259 total yards and 15 touchdowns, but he didn’t start any of them. Jake Waters emerged as the clear cut starter, and Sams openly discussed the possibility of a position change before the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl.
He wanted to be on the field. If he couldn’t help the Wildcats at quarterback, maybe he could as a receiver. He said he would discuss the idea with Snyder.
Sams didn’t know what to expect. Turns out, Snyder had an open mind.
“The dialogue I had with Daniel was I want you to be happy,” Snyder said. “I want to see you on the field. Because he approached me about playing as a wide receiver, I made my recommendations to him, but I said I would certainly abide by his and give him a chance.…
“If he wants to go out and be a wide receiver, he needs to go out and be a wide receiver and let reality set in. Yes, I can do this. He has proven he is not going to be bad there. Is that really what you want? If it is, we will move from there.”
Snyder has a successful track record when it comes to finding new positions for quarterbacks. Former standout safety Ty Zimmerman entered K-State’s program as a quarterback. So did former linebacker Justin Tuggle, former running back Daniel Thomas and former safety Tysyn Hartman. Even Collin Klein briefly played receiver as a freshman before switching back to quarterback, where he became a Heisman finalist.
Sams, who did not attend Tuesday’s news conference, is hoping for a similar transition. He has been respected both as a leader and a playmaker. He didn’t want to waste those qualities as a backup quarterback. Neither did Snyder, especially with young quarterbacks Joe Hubener and Jesse Ertz showing promise behind Waters.
“He has got to be on the field,” Snyder said. “We have got to find the spot.”
Sams began focusing on his new position immediately after receiving Snyder’s blessing. He enjoyed the process so much that he began describing himself as a receiver on Twitter before spring practices started last week, though he is still listed as a quarterback on K-State’s official roster.
“I think he has got a few tips and little tricks to learn, but he is a tremendous playmaker,” said sophomore receiver Deante Burton. “His athleticism is some of the best in the country. It’s not as natural for him as quarterback, but it is something that is coming along for him pretty easily.”
An added bonus to the transition, Burton said, is that K-State receivers are building a stronger bond with Waters than they did last season when he was splitting snaps with Sams. The possibility of trick plays involving Sams is also intriguing.
How high up the depth chart can he climb?
The Wildcats appear loaded at receiver. Senior deep threat Tyler Lockett may be the Big 12’s top returning receiver, Curry Sexton started seven games last year, Burton is a rising talent, Kyle Klein has all the physical tools and so do Andre Davis and Judah Jones.
Snyder said Lockett, Sexton and Burton top the current depth chart. But he complimented the entire unit. Sams will have to fight for playing time.
For now, Snyder likes what Sams is doing.
“I like the way he is working at it,” Snyder said. “He has made some progress. There have been some ups and downs in there, as well, but he has learned some of the nuances, not as well as he needs to, about the position. He studies it pretty hard and is working on it. He has got skill. Everyone understands that. He can make you miss sometimes.”
Defenses learned that last season, when he ranked second on the team with 807 rushing yards as a quarterback.
His teammates also see that kind of potential at his new position.
“I have seen him running around during practice, and it is difficult to get a hold of him,” Burton said. “I have never had to tackle him personally, and I don’t want to. It will be difficult for teams to gameplan for him, because it’s not like he can’t throw the ball. We have seen him run. I’m not sure they have, but we have seen him catch a ball. (He) is going to be a real problem for them.”
Robinson leads the way — One of K-State’s most intriguing position battles of the spring is running back. Three-year starter John Hubert is gone, and so is his backup Robert Rose. Snyder said the candidates are DeMarcus Robinson, Charles Jones and Jarvis Leverett. At this moment, Robinson, a senior from Northwest, has a slight edge. But Snyder wants to see how he handles a larger workload during the spring. Robinson has rushed for 45 yards in his career as a third-string option.
Cantele kicking again — A nagging back injury prevented Jack Cantele from kicking at full strength last season. The junior from Kapaun missed three games after connecting on 11 of 13 field goals. On Tuesday, he said he has fully recovered and ready to kick at the spring game.
Offseason evaluations — When Snyder was asked to grade his team’s offseason work, he didn’t pass along stellar marks. He said 85 percent of the team met or exceeded expectations, 10 percent remained stagnant and five percent returned to practice in poor shape. A passing grade, but not as high as he would have preferred.
Ailing foot — Snyder wore a walking boot on his left foot Tuesday, a lingering sign of foot surgery following K-State’s bowl game. In past weeks, he has walked on crutches. Snyder didn’t indicate why he required surgery, but he said he would need the walking boot for a few more weeks.
“It’s fine,” Snyder said. “It’s just frustrating is all.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/04/08/3392986/bill-snyder-says-k-states-daniel.html#storylink=cpy

Tokens
Sams to WR is very smart because he's most dangerous on the move but a below average decision maker. Same thing TCU needs to do with Boykin.

Tokens
Sams to WR is very smart because he's most dangerous on the move but a below average decision maker. Same thing TCU needs to do with Boykin.
I agree about Boykin. I don't think he'll ever give TCU the run/pass balance they need going forward. But their situation is a little different than KSU's because they don't have anybody who is remotely close in experience behind Boykin. But new coordinators Meacham and Cumbie aren't above starting a freshman at QB. They've done it before. So it should be an interesting battle for QB come this fall. If Boykin can't fit into the new offense the way they want, I'm sure he'll quickly be given the hook. But it may be in their best interest to keep Boykin on the field at all costs. He is a great athlete, and there is more than one position they could use him at.

Tokens
I agree about Boykin. I don't think he'll ever give TCU the run/pass balance they need going forward. But their situation is a little different than KSU's because they don't have anybody who is remotely close in experience behind Boykin. But new coordinators Meacham and Cumbie aren't above starting a freshman at QB. They've done it before. So it should be an interesting battle for QB come this fall. If Boykin can't fit into the new offense the way they want, I'm sure he'll quickly be given the hook. But it may be in their best interest to keep Boykin on the field at all costs. He is a great athlete, and there is more than one position they could use him at.

Boykin is the best receiver on the team. It would be nice if the Joekel rumors are true. Tyler Mathews is leaving tcu also

Tokens
Boykin is the best receiver on the team. It would be nice if the Joekel rumors are true. Tyler Mathews is leaving tcu also
Taylor, I'm actually pretty optimistic about TCU this year despite needing a QB and improvement on the offensive line. There are too many other reasons why I like them. I like who they now have calling the shots on offense. And I like that they lost 4 Big 12 games by 3 points or less last year. Any kind of improvement at all on offense and it will tilt those kinds of games in the Frogs favor, because they still have a pretty stout defense. Another thing I like about them this year is they play 5 conference home games. With two of those games being swing games against Tech and OSU. I believe OSU will be down this year from previous seasons, and Tech isn't all that good on the road. At least they haven't been in the past. Two winnable games for TCU. If they take just one of those games, I believe they can finish 5th or better in the Big 12. Easily enough to get them to a decent bowl.

Tokens
i thought joekel would be a good fit at wvu....we have no qb, he runs the same off at tam, and his oc was at wvu before so he would be familar with the ways holgs runs stuff.

Tokens
TT losing a ton of QBs

"It isn't every day that a walk-on walking away from a program makes news. Then again, Texas Tech's quarterback situation hasn't exactly been normal lately. Walk-ons Tanner Tausch and Mike Richardson are leaving the program, according to various media reports, leaving Davis Webb as the only quarterback on the roster. Tausch, who ran the second team during Saturday's spring game, is planning to stay at the school and focus on academics, while Richardson is departing for a team where he can better compete for playing time, according to a Lubbock Avalanche-Journal report. Tausch and Richardson's departures make it an eyebrow-raising five quarterbacks who have left the program in the past six months. Only two (Michael Brewer and Clayton Nicholas) were on scholarship and two (Brewer and Baker Mayfield) had seen game time."

Link: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/ncaa?eref=sihp 4/18 11:43 AM | IP: Logged

Tokens
i thought joekel would be a good fit at wvu....we have no qb, he runs the same off at tam, and his oc was at wvu before so he would be familar with the ways holgs runs stuff.
GH.. Is everybody that dead certain that Trickett won't come back 100% from shoulder surgery? I know he missed the spring, but I've seen QB's sometimes come back even better than before after these kinds of surgeries. Other than Trickett, I heard Millard was the best of the trio of QB's out of the spring. What do you think of him?

Tokens
GH.. Is everybody that dead certain that Trickett won't come back 100% from shoulder surgery? I know he missed the spring, but I've seen QB's sometimes come back even better than before after these kinds of surgeries. Other than Trickett, I heard Millard was the best of the trio of QB's out of the spring. What do you think of him?

I went to a practice about 10 days ago , and trickett was in street clothes as he is sitting out this spring due to shoulder surgery...he is a really thin guy( he has celiac disease), so i cant see him making it through a whole year without getting hurt, although he should be 100% entering fall camp...he is not using his right arm to throw at all right now...i think wvu will line up and run the ball this year more, and throw short passes all the time...i guess right now you can flip a coin on who will be the back-up...millard or howard?? howard is a jc transfer...looks small 5'10ish? and thin...although he has only been through 10 practices, hopefully he improves over the summer, learns the off and pushes trickett some in fall camp....i guess when they say you have 3 qbs...really means you have zero.

i look for wvu to be 6-10 in the league with no qb....top 3 with a qb....

Tokens
I went to a practice about 10 days ago , and trickett was in street clothes as he is sitting out this spring due to shoulder surgery...he is a really thin guy( he has celiac disease), so i cant see him making it through a whole year without getting hurt, although he should be 100% entering fall camp...he is not using his right arm to throw at all right now...i think wvu will line up and run the ball this year more, and throw short passes all the time...i guess right now you can flip a coin on who will be the back-up...millard or howard?? howard is a jc transfer...looks small 5'10ish? and thin...although he has only been through 10 practices, hopefully he improves over the summer, learns the off and pushes trickett some in fall camp....i guess when they say you have 3 qbs...really means you have zero.

i look for wvu to be 6-10 in the league with no qb....top 3 with a qb....
Whoever Holgersen goes with, he needs to stick to his guns and stay away from rotating QB's. Especially with a brutal schedule.

Tokens
TT losing a ton of QBs

"It isn't every day that a walk-on walking away from a program makes news. Then again, Texas Tech's quarterback situation hasn't exactly been normal lately. Walk-ons Tanner Tausch and Mike Richardson are leaving the program, according to various media reports, leaving Davis Webb as the only quarterback on the roster. Tausch, who ran the second team during Saturday's spring game, is planning to stay at the school and focus on academics, while Richardson is departing for a team where he can better compete for playing time, according to a Lubbock Avalanche-Journal report. Tausch and Richardson's departures make it an eyebrow-raising five quarterbacks who have left the program in the past six months. Only two (Michael Brewer and Clayton Nicholas) were on scholarship and two (Brewer and Baker Mayfield) had seen game time."

Link: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/ncaa?eref=sihp 4/18 11:43 AM | IP: Logged
And all this time I thought Kliff Kingsbury was the quarterback whisperer. Guess not. He's got a real problem on his hands with these QB's leaving. Especially when you have walk-on's walking away from the program. I suspect that it's not 100% KK causing this problem. It could have been a domino effect with these players getting their heads together and all coming to the conclusion that they've had enough of this bench warming. And I also suspect that some of these players weren't really born leaders in the first place, and not going to make it anyway at a division one school. I mean it's never a great thing to have a junior QB sitting on the bench behind a firmly entrenched sophomore starter. If the soph QB ever got hurt, I wouldn't be all that comfortable with the junior coming off the bench leading the team, if he couldn't win the job before. And so exit Brewer. And some of these other walk-on backups could have just been collateral damage. But we may never know the real truth behind these players exodus.

One interesting thing that came out of the Tech situation is Baker Mayfield has become a real QB story at Oklahoma. He had a great spring. And an especially strong Spring Game performance. So much so that they have been talking about Mayfield getting some help from the potential forming of the Players Union, and winning back his eligibilty from the NCAA so he can play this season, instead of sitting out a year. I would love for them to junk this rule and for Mayfield to become eligible this year. I suspect by the minutes that Stoops gave Mayfield to play in the Spring Game, he would too. He would be a very solid backup to Knight. And many think (along with me) that with Knight's size and OU's style of play that it would be like last season and Knight wouldn't be able to make it through a whole season without getting hurt. I've even heard arguments in behalf of Mayfield that he could possibly beat Knight out for the job. That would be a nice problem to have. Especially now that Bell has been moved to TE, and the lack of experience behind the top two QB's.

Tokens
Whoever Holgersen goes with, he needs to stick to his guns and stay away from rotating QB's. Especially with a brutal schedule.

agree...

Tokens
Yawn...Welp, I guess eventually I had to get around to posting something about Kansas. Looks like Weis finally had to swallow his pride and figure out his pro style offense wasn't working with the kinds of QB recruits he was bringing in. But KU has a new OC this year. And he appears to be much more decisive on what kind of offense he wants to run, and the player he wants running it. He's already named his starter. Cozarts should be a much better fit than Heaps was with this QB read offense. If I was Heaps I would transfer to a Division Two school. He'll never start for a BCS school again.

University of Kansas

Charlie Weis: Montell Cozart is Kansas’ starting quarterback

By RUSTIN DODD The Kansas City Star
Updated: 2014-04-17T15:49:00Z
April 17

By RUSTIN DODD

The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE — Montell Cozart will be the man for Kansas.

17rqgP.St.81.jpeg
Orlin Wagner | AP Montell Cozart

Read more University of Kansas

Five days after Cozart earned offensive MVP honors in the annual spring game, KU coach Charlie Weis officially named him the Jayhawks’ starting quarterback.
Cozart, a sophomore from Bishop Miege, led the Blue team to a 20-10 victory while completing six of 10 passes for 58 yards. He also rushed for 70 yards and two touchdowns in seven carries.
Cozart beat out senior Jake Heaps and sophomore transfer T.J. Millweard for the starting job. Heaps had a solid spring, according to coaches, but he struggled to move the first-team offense during the spring game.
“After the completion of post spring ball evaluations and individual player meetings, I met with the offensive staff and we have decided to name Montell Cozart our starting quarterback,” Weis said in a statement released on Thursday morning.
Now it will be up to Cozart to run new offensive coordinator John Reagan’s no-huddle, spread scheme. Weis and Reagan previously said they hoped a starter would emerge by the end of spring ball, but they stayed mum on the quarterback spot after the spring game.
Heaps, a former transfer from BYU, completed 49 percent of his passes last season before being replaced by Cozart, then a true freshman. Cozart, also a threat in the running game, completed 36 percent of his passes while rushing for 214 yards on 66 carries during his freshman season.
Kansas will open the 2014 season on Sept. 6 against Southeast Missouri State at Memorial Stadium.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/17/4965585/charlie-weis-montell-cozart-is.html#storylink=cpy

Tokens
GS: Mayfield is a tough competitor and might be more consistent than Knight over the long run of a season. Knight had a great bowl game but that was by far his best game of the year and he had plenty of time to prepare for that game. Mayfield might be better on the regular season game rotation. I still don't see how a school can block a player who was a walk-on and not on scholarship. Does not make sense but then again that is the NCAA for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giaoduc783
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com