West Virginia off season thread

Search

Tokens
Football Staff Asks Mountaineers to 'EAT' in 2012

MORGANTOWN - The Mountaineers are hungry and this fall, they intend to eat.

Or, to put it more accurately – they intend to E.A.T.

A new acronym, popular around these parts in the spring, whether showing up on shirts or in post-practice speeches, spells out the theme for the coming season in Morgantown.

The WVU football team will E.A.T. its way to success, assuming everyone can get on the same page as to what exactly that means.

"Effort, Intensity and Turnovers," junior cornerback Brodrick Jenkins said.

So eat is spelled with an "I?"

"What did I say? Effort, Aggressiveness and Turnovers," Jenkins said, changing the definition.

But wait, even that isn't correct, apparently.

"Effort, Attitude and – what is it? I forgot the last one," freshman safety Karl Joseph began before adding "Turnovers" to the list.

Multiple other players backed up Joseph's interpretation of the new mantra and said there is a reason it begins with effort.

According to freshman safety Sean Walters, defensive coordinator Joe DeForest preaches these words over and over and will go out of his way to call out anyone he sees – whether in the weight room or on the practice field – giving anything less than full effort.

"As far as DeForest, he instills effort, effort, effort – always eat, eat, eat," says Walters.

The team meeting room is where you'll wish you had given good effort if you had not done so. DeForest, and any other coach on the staff these days, will make the entire team well aware of your laziness and Walters for one would rather not be the focus of that sort of detailed analysis.

The second word, attitude, is self-explanatory. Come to work each day ready to get better – not only individually, but for the whole. A positive and tough attitude will go a long way toward developing yourself as well as those around you.

Then there are the turnovers.

"It's a whole team thing, actually. The offense doesn't want to give up turnovers, they want to keep the ball and avoid turnovers, but it's a whole team standpoint," says junior defensive end Will Clarke. "Coach DeForest, he's really emphasizing it on defense for us to give a lot of effort, that's first, have a good attitude and a tough attitude and get turnovers. That's one of the most important stats in college football."

Clarke is right about that and it is something that if the Mountaineers were not aware of coming into last season, they learned firsthand.

WVU's turnover margin was just a plus-one in 2011 as the team gave the ball away 22 times and took it away 23. In three losses, the Mountaineers lost the turnover battle, 8-2.

Against Louisville, West Virginia was able to outgain the Cardinals by nearly 200 yards, yet still lost due, in large part, to turnovers.

In a game against South Florida, the Mountaineers could hardly get anything going offensively and actually had more turnovers than the Bulls, but the turnovers they forced were more important. A Pat Miller pick-six and a Najee Goode forced fumble to set up the game-winning field goal completely turned the game in WVU's favor and without those two, there never would have been an Orange Bowl.

Speaking of that game against Clemson, there is no better example of turnovers setting the tone. West Virginia got the trend started with a 99-yard fumble return for a touchdown and continued it with an interception and a fumble recovery before half

WVU committed just one turnover of its own in the game, and that came at the hands of backup quarterback Paul Millard, who was then yanked from action.

"That's the main thing they've said from day one, that turnovers are going to help," says Jenkins. "We really found that out after Darwin Cook made that one, how it turns around momentum. If we just buy into that phrase ‘E.A.T.' … As long as we do that, we can do a lot."

And don't be concerned that the three letters have not yet engrained themselves into the mind of each and every Mountaineer. Remember, this is a team full of players – and some coaches – who will tell you they still don't understand why they walk around wearing shirts that read, "Insanity."

At least this one has a clear cut meaning that, should the players really buy in, could pay off when they suit up in the fall.

Tokens
Quick Hits: Spring Practice Day 2

MORGANTOWN - The West Virginia University football team took the field for the second time this spring. It was another sunny day with temperatures near 80 degrees on the field.

The media was only permitted to view 30 minutes of practice, which included kickoff coverage. That was followed by several periods of individual work for the various positions.

New defensive line coach Erik Slaughter was very active with his group. He was quick to praise some players and quick to take the precious moments necessary to teach other players. Jorge Wright earned some praise from Slaughter for staying low on a drill designed to bull rush the passer.

Robert Gillespie was equally as vocal with his running backs as Slaughter was with the defensive linemen. Gillespie worked on the fundamentals of blocking with his players. Shawne Alston was actively working on showing some of the younger players proper technique to reinforce what Gillespie was teaching.

The quarterbacks and receivers looked a little better than they did in Sunday's practice. Quarterbacks connected on about 50 percent of passes thrown beyond 30 yards. That needs to improve, especially without defensive backs covering the receivers.

Head Coach Dana Holgorsen did not say much during the 30 minutes we could watch, but he did make his way to each position and watch players on both sides of the ball go through their drills.

Also of note, former WVU defensive lineman Bruce Irvin was once again on the sidelines watching practice.

Tokens
Creating Turnovers No. 1 Goal

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Although the players may line up a little differently this fall, new West Virginia University defensive coordinator Joe DeForest says what they are trying to accomplish is still the same – stop the other team and create turnovers.

“It’s not earth shattering,” DeForest said recently. “Football has been around for (many) years and it’s not like we’re going to come in here and make something up.

We’re going to go out and try and get our kids to play hard, create turnovers and we’ll be successful.”

This spring DeForest is introducing a more traditional 3-4 defensive alignment, meaning those hybrid safeties recruited for the 3-3 stack will now become outside linebackers. DeForest said he will take the first couple of practices to evaluate players to see where they fit best.

“The first three or four days we will know more about where everybody is going to play,” he said. “All we did was put them on a depth chart and tell them this is where you’re going to start. It’s not where you are going to finish.”

DeForest will handle the safeties. Keith Patterson, Pitt’s defensive coordinator last year, will coach the inside linebackers, Daron Roberts moves over from offense to guide the corners, Steve Dunlap will handle the outside linebackers and Erik Slaughter has been brought in to work with the defensive linemen.

Patterson also worked with Todd Graham at Tulsa where he has prior experience running the 3-3 stack. Because the Mountaineers are remaining in an odd-front defense, Patterson believes the transition to a slightly different alignment will not be as difficult as it was last year when he installed the odd front at Pitt.

“West Virginia has been an odd front - has done it for years and done a tremendous job - and I have a tremendous respect and admiration for the job they’ve done defensively where Pitt was a 4-3, quarters concept team going in so it was probably more of a transition going from a 4-3 to a multiple 3-4,” Patterson said. “About four or five games into the season we made some drastic changes from where we were in fall camp at Pitt.”

DeForest, Patterson and Slaughter have all worked in highly successful defensive systems in the past. Last year, Oklahoma State was No. 2 in the country in interceptions and the Tulsa defense Patterson coordinated two years ago ranked second in the nation in turnover margin. Plus, Slaughter’s defensive line at Stephen F. Austin last season helped the Lumberjacks rank first in the country in sacks averaging 4.36 per game and 14th in total defense.

“You’ve got to be disruptive,” said Slaughter. “You’ve got to be able to take people out of their comfort zone.”

Having worked in the Big 12 Conference at Oklahoma State since 2001, DeForest understands what that league is about and what it’s going to take to defend the teams in it.

“In the league we’re going to we’ve just got to be able to run,” he said. “We’re a lot bigger here in the secondary than we were at the previous place I was at, but we could run. I think in that league you’ve got to be able to run and if you can run, and you enjoy contact, then you can play in this defense.”

“The ball just doesn’t come to the A-gap anymore,” added Slaughter. “You’ve got to go get it so I want guys who can run and can change direction. I want explosive players who can make plays in space. It’s an explosive, in-space type of game now.”

DeForest says he has already developed a motto for this year’s defense: EAT - effort, attitude and turnovers.

“We’re going to measure your effort, we’re going to watch your attitude and measure that and the bottom line is turnovers so that’s going to be our shtick on defense,” he said.

In the short time they have been able to sit down as a staff and study the current players they are inheriting, all three coaches agree that West Virginia’s most impressive attributes on defense have been its overall toughness and playing with great effort and enthusiasm.

“We want to build upon what has made the defenses great here in the past. It’s been the effort and you see that when you watch these guys play and I have great respect for that,” said Patterson. “We’re going to accomplish the same thing.”

Patterson, who also holds the title of co-defensive coordinator, says his role in that capacity will become more defined in time.

“Those are things we will work through,” Patterson said. “I have a tremendous amount of respect for Joe and what he did at Oklahoma State - and Dana as well - and what they’ve been able to do during their careers. It’s like anything else, you figure out what your role is and you fit into that role as best as you can. I just want to do everything I can to help us win and play great defense.”

Slaughter says the wheel is not going to be reinvented this spring.

“We’re going to line up sound, stop the run, and we’re going to get after the quarterback,” he said. “It’s the same things (the previous coaching staff) tried to do. The difference from the naked eye won’t be that big of a deal.”

Tokens
WVU Spring Football: Assistant Coaches' Quotes

West Virginia University assistant football coaches discuss 2012 spring practice.

Inside Receiver coach Shannon Dawson

On the beginning of spring practice and the performance of the receivers

From the first day of practice I think its going fine, we dropped probably about ten balls and that's the first day we really had problems with drops - we're usually pretty sure-handed. Effort has been great and as far as playing fast at a high tempo, we've been doing good. If you have opportunities to make plays, we have to make plays. You can't waste opportunities like that and we wasted a lot today.

On the players having a lot of confidence this early in the season

I really sense it from the defensive side, I think those guys have good energy and they really seem like they're having a good time. That bleeds over to our side too and they just feed off of each other. We try to create an atmosphere where people are happy to play so hopefully that shows.

On working with the defense

I've known a lot of these guys for awhile, so I sit in their meetings when we're not in meetings just because I want to see how defensive people pattern and scheme things. I'll tell them what's tough on us and then they'll tell me whats tough on them - it's just helping each other out and tweaking things.

On the weather

I thought we would be freezing out there, but God's taken care of it.

Offensive Line coach Bill Bedenbaugh

On the offensive line

Right now they're confident - at least the first group is - then its just a matter of the younger guys getting comfortable.

On the return of offensive lineman Josh Jenkins

He looks pretty good, a little hesitant the first day - which is understandable - but once he gets into it with pads and starts hitting he'll start feeling confident again. He can't worry about it (the injury), whatever happens is going to happen he just has to go out there and play full speed. He brings experience to the whole group.

On the Oklahoma drill

It's a great drill. It's just one-on-one to see who's tough. There's not a whole lot of technique involved; it's coming off the ball, staying low, moving your hands and feet and simply seeing who's tougher.

On focusing on technique

The more reps you do of something the more comfortable you'll feel. You have to draw confidence from success and believe you can do it over and over. Those guys really took that into the off season, worked hard and now they're taking it onto the field.

On getting the pads on

This is where you see who is going to hit people. A lot of guys can look good in shorts and a helmet but now it's about seeing who can go out there and hit people while still executing their assignment and their technique.

Co-Defensive Coordinator Keith Patterson

On the first day of pads

There is just a difference on the first day with pads. Speaking specifically from a linebacker standpoint, we had some mistakes, but again the effort has been really good. It’s just like learning a new language. You can see the guys trying to process everything, and overall I’ve been very pleased.

On gauging guys before putting on pads

The thing you can learn from the first two days is what kind of effort. It’s hard to tell how you’re going to fit the run and when you have pads on how guys are going to make tackles and plays in space. I was very pleased with what we saw at parts of practice. I think we started strong and finished with the intensity that we need to. We just need to keep bringing it because we can’t let one practice go by without making the most of it.

On the transition from the 3-3-5

The guys who have experience playing and even at linebacker, it hasn’t been that big of a transition. We’re moving forward and I like where we are.

On what was installed today

We put in a new coverage and some of the concepts are different, but we’re facing different concepts everyday from our offense. We’re going out their cold turkey and you basically just have to react to it.

Defensive Coordinator Joe DeForest

On day one in pads

I thought it was very exciting. These kids play hard. Their practice tempo is amazing and I’m very impressed. We just have to keep piecing different defensive fronts and whenever we put it all in, we’ll see what sticks on the wall and what we want to go with in the season.

On where the tempo comes from

It’s a combination. It’s what we demand of the players, but they’ve been trained pretty well.

On the new defensive staff

We’re getting along great. We have great meetings and we’re getting to know each other and our tendencies. I think we have a great staff put together, Dana did a great job, and I think as we work together throughout spring and fall camp it’s going to get that much better.

On seeing guys full speed

When we saw them offseason it’s just them running around doing drills. It was a great step. They did an unbelievable job of handling the pads and handling their teammates and flying to the ball.

Special Teams Coordinator Steve Dunlap

On the new staff

Football coaches are football coaches and if they like to coach football I like to be around them.

Learning the new schemes

There isn’t anything I haven’t played. In 36 years there isn’t much I haven’t seen. It’s just names and there was something we put in today that I know six names for. It’s still the same stuff, just a matter of putting names in.

Tokens
Luck says move to Big 12 about sustaining national profile

PITTSBURGH, Pa. -- As West Virginia University embarked on another two NCAA Tournament appearances here, the deal for the Mountaineers isn't just about the old bracket adage "survive and advance."

It's about sustaining a national profile, too, for WVU, as the program changes conference affiliation.

West Virginia faced Gonzaga on Thursday night at the Consol Energy Center in the seventh NCAA men's basketball appearance in eight years for that program. The one that wasn't an NCAA became a 2007 NIT championship.

The women's basketball program faces future Big 12 Conference foe Texas on Saturday in a fifth NCAA Tournament berth in six years for Coach Mike Carey's program, this time in Norfolk, Va.

Football?

The Mountaineers have reached bowls in 10 straight seasons, have won all three of their Bowl Championship Series dates in impressive fashion, and five other times played in the Big East's No. 2 bowl game.

"It's clearly a good record," said West Virginia University Athletic Director Oliver Luck, when asked about the Mountaineers establishing their major programs on the national stage in the last decade. "A lot of it is due to good coaches, good administrators and good and hard-working student-athletes.

"Will we be able to replicate that kind of success over the next 10 years in the Big 12? We'll try. Clearly, our goal will be to try and maintain that success and compete for national championships."

Luck, attending the WVU-Gonzaga game after a short drive up I-79 from the WVU campus, said the move from the Big East to the Big 12 will allow the Mountaineers to stay nationally relevant in the aforementioned sports.

"Absolutely, we had to make the move, in our minds, because we wanted to have those same opportunities," Luck said, "but football and basketball are different.

"In basketball, we could be in the Atlantic 10 still and make the (NCAA) tournament, still have the same record and kind of success we have had, because the avenue to play (at the NCAA Tournament-level) is different.

"In football, it's clearly becoming the select few, a list of the top 65 to 70 Division I programs, and we had to make sure we remained part of that group. If we had stayed where we were, I don't think we'd have continued to have those BCS opportunities."

In making the conference move, WVU jumps between the only two conferences that had more than half of their teams in the men's NCAA bracket (9 of 16 Big East, 6 of 10 Big 12).

The big difference for coaches Bob Huggins and Carey is that their teams will play everyone in the Big 12 home-and-home. In the Big East, that scheduling balance was not possible.

In football, CBSSports.com analyst Jerry Palm already is forecasting the Mountaineers for a BCS at-large date in 2012 in the Sugar Bowl, with Oklahoma getting the Big 12 title and conference berth in the Fiesta.

"I'll say this, I'm not really surprised," Luck responded when asked if the sustained success in the Big East in recent years came from nowhere. "I think if you go back, a reason West Virginia dropped (men's) track, tennis, some of those sports was that the idea was to put those resources behind the major programs.

"A lot of people got upset, but that has made a difference."

Financial support from contributors is rooted in the success of the major sports, because that excites the fan base. WVU never has had the consistent success - and national profile and exposure - in football and men's and women's basketball that it now enjoys.

"The Big 12 is going to give us the opportunity to maintain the kind of program we have now," Luck said.

Tokens
Making A Full Impact On Offense

4957887572_1ff70af69f_m.jpg

Last season Dana Holgorsen utilized a running back by committee throughout the year all the way through West Virginia’s Orange Bowl victory. The combination of Dustin Garrison, Andrew Buie and Shawne Alston eventually helped West Virginia’s develop a threat on the ground.

Garrison made his biggest splash with a 291 yard rushing game against Bowling Green. Alston, meanwhile, led the team with 12 rushing touchdowns while Buie stepped up in the Orange Bowl with Garrison out.

But while those guys received most of the attention – their production is also a credit to the guys lead blocking for them, the fullbacks.

In 2011, Ryan Clarke accepted the fullback role and thrived despite not having an opportunity to carry the football. It’s been well-noted Clarke’s struggles to hold onto the football in 2010 where he also scored eight rushing touchdowns.

When Holgorsen took over the offense last spring, Clarke fit in as a blocking back, and quietly became an important player in the WVU offense.

“Ryan Clarke really bought into what we asked him to do,” said running backs coach Robert Gillespie. “He bought into being a fullback and now that he knows his role, he’s someone that we can give the ball to a little bit this spring.”

While Clarke is simply trying to improve, another guy trying to work his way in the mix of the first team offense is former walk-on and Parkersburg native Matt Lindamood (pictured right).

“This spring is going to be huge for him,” explained Gillespie. “Lindamood’s a guy I expected more out of after last spring and fall camp and never really pulled the trigger and let loose.”

Lindamood, at 6-foot-0 and 230 pounds, will have plenty of chances this spring to prove that the tough, rugged style of play he showed on special teams can translate nicely to the fullback role in key situations.

“I think this is a chance for him to step up and have a really good senior year,” said Gillespie. “It matters to him, I think it really does matter. He just has to let loose and play football.”

Tokens
Spring Football: Practice No. 4 Recap

Practice number four of spring football was completed early Sunday evening from Morgantown as West Virginia officially jumped into week number two of drills.

It was the second day of full padded practice for the Mountaineers, and head coach Dana Holgorsen said going in he wanted to see more physicality from his players overall.

“I don’t care what kind of offense you run, what kind of defense you run or any of that, if you’re not physical you’re not going to be very good,” he said. “I was really pleased with how they responded to that and got out there and did a lot more things from a physical nature, so that was good to see.”

What was also good to see on Sunday defensively was the play of defensive back Travis Bell – he had two interceptions in the team portion of practice.

“He made a nice break on the ball,” Holgorsen said. “Geno also forced one deep for another interception. Bell looks like he’s doing his part.”

Bell is listed on the spring depth chart as the starter at free safety for the Mountaineers. Holgorsen also likes what he’s seeing from his team in sense of overall energy and enthusiasm – a point that had to be stressed by him midseason last year.

“You can sense that they’re excited about what’s going on,” Holgorsen said. “We added some defensive coaches, and I sense that they’re pretty fired up about being here. They’re eager to learn. I sense that after watching four practices that they’re excited.”

As for some of the younger players still trying to learn the system – freshman receiver Jordan Thompson out of Texas is trying to take the offense in. The early-spring enrollee stands in at just 5-foot-7, 159 pounds.

“You get him out there, and he’s pretty excited playing hard,” Holgorsen said. “I think his helmet popped off, and he got hit in the head by a DB who had a helmet on, which could have been bad, but he just put his helmet back on and got ready for the next down.”

At running back, Andrew Buie is receiving a lot of the touches with last year’s starter Dustin Garrison still recovering from knee surgery – it’s opened the door for Buie to try to work his way back into a more solid role in the depth chart.

“He’s healthy,” Holgorsen said. “For the majority of last year, he wasn’t healthy. One is that he was young and was worn down pretty quick, because he plays hard too. He was only about 165 pounds at one point last season. He’s been working hard and has his size back. He’s about 180 now. He’s playing hard and handling the volume well. He could probably take more snaps.”

Another note from the offensive side of the ball – heading into the spring the coaching staff made the move of switching Cody Clay from the offensive line back out to inside receiver where he’ll likely be utilized similar to a Tyler Urban-type player from last year.

“You never know what people’s bodies are going to do,” Holgorsen said. “For one, he could have blown up and be 280 right now. You can’t tell, and you don’t know. That hasn’t happened to his body. We’re keeping him at inside receiver. Plus, what we did with Tyler Urban last year isn’t something we do a ton of, but is something we can do based on if he’ll line up as a tight end and use his bigger body to block.”

Clay is listed at 6-foot-3, 251 pounds.

About a dozen recruits were on hand to watch Sunday’s drills – the team will get back to practice on Tuesday.

Tokens
Coach Holgorsen's Sunday Quotes

West Virginia University

Football Coach Dana Holgorsen

Spring Football Practice No. 4

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Opening Statement

Practice four just got done. I was pretty fired up about one of the things after the first day of pads. You question how physical your team is because they haven’t hit in a while. We talked a lot about that in meetings today. We got in here about 2:30 p.m., and had a couple hours of meetings and talked a lot about being a more physical football team. I don’t care what kind of offense you run, what kind of defense you run or any of that, if you’re not physical you’re not going to be very good. I was really pleased with how they responded to that and got out there and did a lot more things from a physical nature, so that was good to see. Probably had about a dozen recruits in today, which getting guys to come in to watch practice is something we’re emphasizing as everybody across the country is, but had a really good turnout as far as a bunch of quality guys coming in to watch practice. We met for two hours and then went out there and got a lot of snaps in for a couple hours. I was pleased with how it went and overall have been pleased with the effort these guys are giving.

The defense is coming along. They’re being spoon fed a little bit. They’re putting in one or two new things a day. I don’t see a whole lot of blown assignments or mental busts; there are mistakes everywhere out there as far as offense, defense, and special teams, but I’ve been really pleased with how those guys are coming along defensively. We’re turning the ball over a little too much offensively. Geno threw a couple of picks today. He seems comfortable. He’s running everything, but if you turn the ball over, you’re not going to win. The flip side of that is the defense is doing a good job of getting interceptions. They haven’t gotten the ball out from a fumble standpoint, but they didn’t drop any interceptions like our last practice. Coach DeForest has talked about the mentality of causing turnovers. It looks to me like they’re paying attention to it. Overall, it was a good day. We got a lot of work done. I look forward to getting two more practices in this week.

On if anyone is standing out defensively

Travis Bell had two picks in team period today. He made a break on the ball, which was good. We had a big third-down period, which the offense converted 50 percent or better at, which from an offensive perspective is good, but from a defensive perspective not so good. He made a nice break on the ball. Geno also forced one deep for another interception. Bell looks like he’s doing his part.

Will Clarke is a guy who gives a tremendous amount of effort. Jorge Wright is in there plugging away. It’s a little early to tell, but with me standing on the sidelines watching Travis making those two picks looked good.

On speaking with the Steelers’ Mike Tomlin at Pro Day

It was chit-chat. I had met him one other time. He’s a good guy. It was basically about the guys he’s looking at and what he does with his time. It’s a completely different situation. He was getting out and seeing some different things, which is something I wish I could do.

On what he’s learned this past week

I had a sense that our morale was high. From the eight weeks of the offseason, we were around them the last four weeks quite a bit in meetings and watching competition, weightlifting and team runs. You can sense that they’re excited about what’s going on. We added some defensive coaches, and I sense that they’re pretty fired up about being here. They’re eager to learn. I sense that after watching four practices that they’re excited.

On the play of small-statured WR Jordan Thompson

If you can’t touch him, you can’t tackle him. A quick story about Wes Welker, I told the team this story about three weeks ago. He came out of Texas Tech at 185 pounds. We bulked him up his senior year to about 185-188 and obviously he was a great player. The first thing they asked him to do when he got to the NFL was to lose 12 pounds. He’s played his entire career at about 170-175 pounds, which is about the same size as Tavon. Tavon was asking if he needs to get to 180, but I told him I’d rather have him at 170 and be the fastest guy on the field. He’s a little shorter than Tavon, but he came in at about 158. When Tavon came in, he was at about 155.

Throughout the natural progression of the first year, I think Jordan has already added 10 pounds in the last few months. It’s not about size – it’s more about quickness at that position. He’ll be hit by big guys only if they can touch him. He’s a tough kid. I’m not giving him any credit right now; he hasn’t played a down. He likes to play the game. He played at Katy High School (Katy, Texas), one of the most renowned high schools in the entire country and one of the most physical programs in the entire country. He was the second-leading receiver in the city of Houston. I think he’s okay playing football. We recruit guys based on what their film says. He scored 21 touchdowns at one of the best high schools in the country, so the guy can play football. You get him out there, and he’s pretty excited playing hard. I think his helmet popped off, and he got hit in the head by a DB who had a helmet on, which could have been bad, but he just put his helmet back on and got ready for the next down.

On Ivan McCartney in a red jersey

It’s just a hamstring. He’ll be alright.

On the new defense being brought in

You can only play 11 people. There are good schemes in everything. One of the things I was talking to coach Tomlin about was playing the 4-3 as opposed to the 3-4. There are 11 NFL teams running the 3-4. Which scheme is better? I don’t know; they’re both good schemes. The 3-3-5 is a good scheme. The guys here last year did a good job of coaching them up. You’ve got to settle on something. In my opinion, going against the spread, you’re probably giving a little bit of an advantage to being able to cover sideline to sideline. The 4-3, you watch the Giants play, and they look pretty good too. There you have bunch of defensive linemen that know how to rush the passer. We don’t have a tremendous amount of defensive linemen, so you play with what you’ve got and figure out other ways to getting pressure on the quarterback.

Pitt led the nation in sacks last year. If they didn’t lead, they were up in the top two or three. I think that has something to do with the scheme and something with the way they were coached.

On if getting the guys excited to play is most important at this time of year

That’s one of the overall goals of the program. We’ve talked about it a lot. I can assure you if you take a poll from the entire team, there’s a very high percentage of them who look forward to coming into the building to where you’re going to get the most out of them from a study hall perspective, a weightlifting perspective, meetings and practice. No matter what it is, if the guys are excited about coming in, you’re going to get a whole lot out of them. I think we’ve accomplished that. Throughout the course of spring without having a game, if you wear them out, then you’re not going to get a whole lot out of them. I told them after practice today they’re crazy if they didn’t use this day to get better. We had a bunch of meetings and practice time. If you don’t take advantage of that, then there’s something wrong. For the majority, we did get a lot out of it, which is why we hold three practices a week and don’t go back-to-back days and have meetings between practices. You need to have some recovery time and not wear them out. We’re not preparing for a game, but you’re trying to make yourselves, your unit and the team better, so that’s what the overall objective of the spring is. If you break down or get worn out, then you’re not going to get that accomplished.

On what the objective is to accomplish at this point of year

Your goal is to get better. I can’t foresee where we’re going to be at the spring game. There are 11 more practices to gauge that. These guys know what the routine is; they know what their job is. They know what is expected of them. We’ll keep gearing toward getting that accomplished. We’ve got the rest of this week and three more after Spring Break.

On the offense versus the new defense

We’re only using a third of our offense. In fact, we’re really only using a sixth part of it. We’re working toward the third part of the offense. You may go against the defense 100 percent of the time, as long as they’re playing well, they’re getting better. We’re not keeping score out there. It may look good or it may look bad, we’re moving on to the next play. You get a lot of tape on film, you compile it and look at it and try to improve for the next time you go out there.

On the role of Shawne Alston

I’m not sure how big of a role he can handle. Andrew Buie looks really good out there. He’s taking advantage of all the reps that he’s getting and looks pretty good at times. Shawne is a different kind of back. We certainly want to get as much out of him this year as we did the end of last year when he had 20 carries against Clemson. Our goal is to have a bunch of running backs that can give a lot of reps. Shawne plays hard and is physical, but you can’t go like he does on every run. You just can’t. His attitude is good, his mentality is good, he’s giving us good snaps right now which should carry over to the first part of next year.

On Andrew Buie’s play

He’s healthy. For the majority of last year, he wasn’t healthy. One is that he was young and was worn down pretty quick, because he plays hard too. He was only about 165 pounds at one point last season. He’s been working hard and has his size back. He’s about 180 now. He’s playing hard and handling the volume well. He could probably take more snaps.

On experience on the offensive line

The first group looks good. They have a chance to be as good as we’ve had. Joe Madsen is a leader and is doing a fantastic job. He’s a great player. Jeff Braun looks twice as good as he did in camp last year. He’s in better shape, he’s healthy and he understands. With Josh Jenkins coming back, he brings experience. Pat Eger is more confident than he’s been, Quinton Spain is more confident. Those first-level guys are doing good things. It’s a lot easier now. They block now, so it’s a lot easier to run the ball, and it’s a lot easier to throw the ball. When the second guys get in there, it resembles a little bit what it was like a year ago. When you’ve got three guys coming through to the quarterback, it looks like crap. When you hand the ball off to the back, and you’ve got people behind the block, it doesn’t look very good. We go as the offensive line goes.

On the punting game

Corey Smith has been hot and cold, but has developed a bit more consistency. That’s the hardest snap in football. You have to know what you’re doing out there. We’re having to train younger kids to be able to do it. Najee Goode was good with it last year, and Cody Nutter was great on it. We’re trying to find guys and give them experience doing it to replace the guys who did well with it last year. We didn’t have any blocked last year. It was spotty based on the punters having some shanks, but let’s not forget the four against Pitt that went for 65 yards. The eight snaps against Rutgers in some of the worst conditions in the world were good snaps. They were good catches, good punts, and good coverage. We’re not going to say that the punt game was broke based off a couple shanks. You’ve got to coach them up and get them trained.

Cody Clay is doing some snaps. Jerry Cooper is doing some. We signed another kid who’s taking snaps, so it will be an on-going evaluation.

On energy at practices

The energy has been good. That part hasn’t been a problem, which is good to see. The first day in pads, the guys were a bit soft, which we addressed and has since been much more physical.

On what makes him happiest following a practice

There’s a lot of things. There are things you see on tape that confirms some things. Seeing guys take advantage of their opportunity makes me happy. Dante Campbell is a guy who redshirted and was down in the dumps like all redshirt kids are, was on the scout team all year, and then spring hits, and you’re anxious to see how things will work for you. He’s taken advantage of every single rep that he’s had. He looks good. He’s a big target, Geno will throw to him, he blocks well, and he’s a guy we’re thrilled to deal with right now. Seeing guys like that taking advantage of the opportunity is what makes me happy. If the effort’s there, you want to see them get better at what we’re doing schematically and technique-wise. If they don’t take advantage of having four or five hours to show what they can do, then there’s something wrong with them. There’s a couple of them that didn’t, but you can tell the guys who did.

On Cody Clay

You never know what people’s bodies are going to do. For one, he could have blown up and be 280 right now. You can’t tell, and you don’t know. That hasn’t happened to his body. We’re keeping him at inside receiver. Plus, what we did with Tyler Urban last year isn’t something we do a ton of, but is something we can do based on if he’ll line up as a tight end and use his bigger body to block.

Tokens
Photos: Spring Practice No. 4

Bedenbaugh%20standing.JPG

Offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh working with his players

Tokens
Coach%20Dana%20Holgorsen%20mentioned%20that%20his%20players%20played%20very%20physical%20today.JPG

Coach Dana Holgorsen emphasized the importance of being physical going into the upcoming season.

Tokens
Ford%20Childress.JPG

Freshman quarterback Ford Childress is still learning the ropes in being a college quarterback

Tokens
Geno%20Smith%20Handing%20it%20off%20to%20Darwin%20Cook.JPG

Mountaineer quarterback Geno Smith going through his final spring with WVU.

Tokens
Mack%20Van%20Gorder.JPG

Coach Dana Holgorsen talked about the importance of the punting game this season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
letty26
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com