West Virginia off season thread

Search

Tokens
JS7_5928.jpg

Geno Smith tries to avoid a sack

Tokens
WVU Gets Two Commits For 2013

On the day of West Virginia's Gold-Blue game to close out the spring, the Mountaineers also received two verbal football commitment as well in offensive lineman Marcell Lazard and running back DeShawn Coleman.

Scout.com rates Lazard as a three star prospect out of Bloomfield High School in New Jersey -- he's also rated three stars by Rivals.com as well. Coleman, meanwhile, plays for Hickory High School in Pennsylvania -- he isn't rated yet by either recruiting website.

Lazard had a lot of other offers, including Cincinnati, Connecticut, Florida, Miami, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State, Pitt and South Carolina. Penn State and Purdue, meanwhile, had offered Coleman.

West Virginia now has two commits in its 2013 recruiting class.

Tokens
WVU's Cook makes the most of life change

ncf_a_dcook_dj_300.jpg

Darwin Cook blossomed during his sophomore campaign and had 85 tackles -- second most on the Mountaineers last season

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- Darwin Cook's life changed with one look on one day during his sophomore year of high school.

He arrived home and hid his report card from his mom, Corie Cook, a single mother raising two high-school boys and working two jobs. Cook's older brother had his report card though, so it wasn't long before his mom came calling for Darwin's.

"I had like a 0.3 GPA," Cook said. "I was in the wrong crowd doing the wrong things."

Normally, he'd be in for a loud lecture or a screaming match. This time, it was different.

"She had just a look of disgust on her face," Cook said. "She had that look of sadness and disappointment and just told me to go upstairs and pray to God."

Cook did. For the first time in his life, he really thought about what his life would look like if he continued down his current path. He decided to make some changes.

"My life just changed," Cook said.

The rest of his high school career, Cook says he managed a 4.0 GPA and was on the honor roll. That's only half the story, though.

Cook's relationship with football was always an odd one. He played in youth leagues growing up, but when he showed up to high school to play as a freshman, his coaches put him at fullback and on the offensive line, mostly at left tackle.

"I didn’t enjoy that one bit," said Cook, who's now a 5-foot-11, 204-pound junior safety for the Mountaineers. "I used to play left guard, too. I used to pull. That’s crazy, ain’t it?"

Motivation to play the game waned. His grades rendered him ineligible as a sophomore while his brother, a year older, played for his team in East Cleveland, Ohio.

"I used to go out in the high school practices just to watch. You know how Radio was?" Cook said. "I used to just watch, even in the rain. I used to be the kid on the sidelines just watching, don’t nobody know I can play football."

He'd played with his brother growing up, and knew he could compete. As a junior, with his grades in order, he tried out for the team. His coaches put him at defensive end.

"I was like, I don’t care. It’s football," he said. "I just wanted to hit some people. I don’t care about no college or nothin’."

After his junior year, Cincinnati offered him a scholarship.

"And at that point, I’m like, I really didn’t know what the scholarship was for, because I wasn’t reading into that," Cook said.

He quickly realized football could be the key to attending college based on his on-field efforts. A couple years after that day when his mom's disappointed face changed his life, he picked West Virginia.

Without it?

"I don’t know where I’d be right now," Cook said.

He came to Morgantown as a defensive back, but when he stepped on campus, he'd never actually backpedaled. His first drill in his first practice came against Jock Sanders, who graduated as the school's all-time leader in reception. It ended with Cook futilely grasping at Sanders' jersey and being sent into the stands.

"It was a rough time my first year, but I kept learning my first year and coach [Steve] Dunlap, he stuck with me and he showed me the techniques and basics of the game," Cook said. "Without him, I’d probably not be here right now."

Off the field, though, his transition was easier after developing good study habits in high school. He's a sports and exercise psychology major with a 2.72 GPA.

"I was really on my books and studying a lot, so that wasn’t really a bad transition, but on the football field?" Cook said. "It was terrible."

That changed his sophomore season in 2011, when he was the Mountaineer's second-leading tackler with 85 stops. Cook memorably scored a 99-yard touchdown on a fumble return in WVU's 70-33 Orange Bowl win, tackling the rotund bowl mascot at the end of his sprint into the end zone.

Cook's younger sister just enrolled in college and he's happy to set an example for his seven-year-old brother, too.

"Growing up, we didn’t have a lot. We didn’t have anybody to look up to," Cook said. "Now, they don’t have a choice. It’s either college or college. Because their brothers both grew up and went to college and that’s all they know."

As for his mom's face when she sees her son? It's a whole lot different these days.

"I just see her smiling all the time," Cook said. "It’s a good feeling."

Tokens
Holgorsen Participates In First Big 12 Conference Call

Q: Do any of the Big 12 games stick out to you personally?
DH: It really doesn’t matter what I think. It’s more about what our kids think. I think they’re going to get excited about going to those venues and there’s a whole bunch of excitement about getting a bunch of Top 25 schools up to Morgantown as well. But I’ve won a lot of games at those different venues and lost some big games at a lot of those venues.

Q: What will it be like going up against Coach [Mike] Gundy?
DH: Well there’s going to be excitement about facing all of them. They’re all quality coaches in the Big 12 and we’re going to have our work cut out for each and everyone of them. There’s story lines with each and every opponent.

Q: Where are you recruiting now that you haven’t recruited before?

DH: It’s about the same. If you look back at the history of West Virginia of where we’ve got guys, the surrounding states has such good football. West Virginia doesn’t have a ton of Division I football players every year, but Ohio does, Pennsylvania does, Maryland does, Virginia does [and] New Jersey does. That’s always been the backbone of what our program has been all about.

Over the last 25 years we’ve gotten down into Florida, which we’ve gotten a handle on that. We have three guys down there full time now. Got 12 kids out of there last year and ever since I got hired its been Oliver’s [Luck] wishes to get into Texas. That’s one thing that was attractive about getting me up here to West Virginia is being able to get down there and use the connections, which we have been able to get seven or eight kids in the last few signing classes.

Q: How is the Big 12 message going in the northeast?

DH: It’s going pretty good. The one thing about the Big 12, which everyone understands, is it’s a little more of a national scope. Being in the southwest and having the TV coverage, having the big time BCS game that everyone’s been to and playing for National Championships.

It’s on a national scale and it goes from west coast to east coast. A lot of people on the east coast, because they’re so media savvy, understand that and they’re anxious about seeing games that are played out there on the west coast.

Q: Is there a pretty big buzz around Morgantown about getting into the Big 12 Conference?

DH: Absolutely. I can tell you there’s a lot more buzz than there was one year ago. The fans are educated [and] they’re used to winning. The administration is educated and used to winning. Our players have been in big games. They’ve been in BCS games, they’ve played non-conference games against opponents from the SEC – they understand what they’re getting into. I think everyone understands how big it is and how big of a challenge it’s going to be and what we have to do to prepare.”

Tokens
Recapping The Spring For WVU

Overall, consider it a solid spring football season for West Virginia as the Mountaineers concluded drills this past weekend with the Gold-Blue game in Morgantown. For the most part, things went smooth for Mountaineer head coach Dana Holgorsen who’s now heading into his second year at the helm.

“15 days in the books and we got out of it fairly injury-free,” Holgorsen said. “We had some precautions on a few guys. To sum it up, we’re about 33 percent into how we’re going to look before we play our first game. Our depth is not very good right now, but that will change after we’re able to evaluate everyone. From where we’re at, we’ve got a long ways to go.”

Injuries are always a concern for the spring season as the Mountaineers last year felt the effects of losing starting lineman Josh Jenkins for the year – an injury he suffered in the 2011 Gold-Blue game.

“It’s a part of the game, you just line up,” Holgorsen said. “You don’t protect them – you let them lineup and play hard. People can get hurt when they get complacent and they’re not playing hard so-to-speak.”

There will still be a few key position battles in fall camp for West Virginia – but for the most part, the starters and go-to guys are all well known. It’s the backups and younger players that had a chance this spring to make some noise and get themselves into the mix.

“All of those young guys have to just keep coming,” Holgorsen said. “They made a play here and there, but whether we can really rely on them to do it in a game or not, time will tell.”

A lot of those guys had their opportunities on Saturday in the Gold-Blue game – receivers Jordan Thompson, Dante Campbell, Terrence Gourdine, and KJ Myers are all new faces that made a few plays and are trying to find their spot on the depth chart.

“There were a lot of guys out there that won’t be playing in the fall,” Holgorsen said. “There are guys we were playing with and we’re not going to win. That’s the point of spring – you play everybody. Offensively, there’s a collection of about 16 people that are actually going to play in a game. We haven’t figured out who those guys are, but once we do, we’ll be pretty good offensively.”

It was also a key spring for sophomore quarterback Paul Millard who has solidified himself again as the No. 2 behind Geno Smith. After coming in as an early enrollee in 2011, Millard has come a long way up to now.

“Paul does a good job at making decisions and then he does a bad job of making decisions,” Holgorsen said. “But he does a good job of forgetting about it and moving on. As a quarterback, you’re going to make some mistakes and he’s a kid that will throw a pick-6, but then go back out there and that same very throw again. He has a short memory, which is important.”

Millard completed 26 of his 35 passing attempts in the Gold-Blue game, throwing one touchdown and two interceptions.

And although the defense had the edge toward the end of the spring, there’s certainly a ways to go there as well completely installing the 3-4 scheme.

“We probably only have about have of our stuff in right now,” Holgorsen said. “It’s harder to put all of your stuff in defensively than it is offensively.”

The players will get a bit of a break over the next few weeks with the end of the spring season and spring semester at WVU – and with that time off from the field and weight room will come a lot of other distractions, something the Mountaineer head coach has talked with his players about.

“There are a whole bunch of eyes on these guys,” Holgorsen said. “That’s just the reality of West Virginia football.

“We encourage them to get out of here (on their time off), but with that comes responsibility as well,” he continued. “We just remind them that there’s a whole bunch of eyes on them and if they want to be a part of the program, then they need to do the right thing.”

Tokens
Lazard Commitment Solid For WVU

Earlier in the year, West Virginia lost its lone verbal football commitment at the time to Ohio State – but over the weekend, the Mountaineers beat out the Buckeyes for offensive lineman Marcell Lazard out of Bloomfield High School in New Jersey.

Along with West Virginia and Ohio State, Lazard had other offers from Cincinnati, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Miami, South Florida and Virginia.

“He had a tremendous amount of offers from some very good schools,” said Lazard’s high school head coach Mike Carter. “The first time he went to Morgantown for one of the games late in the season, he felt like he fit in well. This past weekend, I think that came true even more watching the spring game. When he called me to tell me, he said he felt very comfortable and he thought it was a nice situation for him.”

Coming up this fall, Lazard will head into his fourth year of varsity football under Carter.

“He’s a good player and even a better person,” he said. “He’s a young man that’s just absolutely as big as a mountain. He has a very good work ethic.”

Lazard finished this past season for Carter weighing in around 286 pounds – but since then, he’s added more bulk and weight, standing in now at 6-foot-6, 315 pounds.

“He works very hard at getting better and gets after it in the weight room,” he said. “He comes from a solid family, his mom and dad are great people. I think what you’re going to find is a kid that’s just going to get better and better – and as big as he is, the young man is still only 16 years old right now.”

But even with his size, Carter said Lazard still has a lot of athletic ability and carries the weight well.

“He’s improved tremendously from the time he first came to us,” he said. “He runs extremely well for a big guy and one of the things a lot of people have said watching him is that he’s not a guy you see on the ground a lot.”

Lazard comes out of a state where West Virginia is trying to put more of an emphasis on in the future. With the loss of Greg Schiano at Rutgers to the NFL, there’s perhaps an opening for the Mountaineers to enter the Garden State and snag an extra recruit or two.

“With the new staff (at West Virginia) I knew that was an emphasis just talking from some of the guys from there and I know they’ve been around the state a little bit,” Carter said. “We’ve seen quite a bit of guys from different parts of the country coming in especially for lineman type guys. But West Virginia came in and they were on (Lazard) from the word ‘go’ and he’s appreciated that. It’s a situation where there’s a lot of talent here and it’s a good pool to pull from.”

But just how solid is Lazard’s commitment to the Mountaineers?

“I don’t think (he’ll be looking around),” Carter said. “His thought was that this was what he wanted to do and this is where he wants to be. I said to him ‘there’s a lot of things going today, but hopefully there’s something to be said for giving your word to somebody and sticking with your word.’ He’s all about that and his parents raised him that way too. So, I’d be very surprised if he’s not a Mountaineer.”

Lazard becomes the first offensive lineman in West Virginia’s 2013 recruiting class – the Mountaineers signed four offensive linemen in 2012.

Tokens
Coleman A Solid Fit For West Virginia

COLEMAN%20SMALL%20PIC%2098.jpg

Running backs Roshard Burney and Tory Clayton made up the 2012 recruiting class at that position for West Virginia. For 2013, it’s DeShawn Coleman with the distinction of becoming the first running back commitment in the class. As a junior in 2011, Coleman ran for 2,381 yards and 31 touchdowns on 209 carries and earned first team all-state honors out of Hickory High School in Pennsylvania.

“He’s a solid character kid, solid academic kid and he also puts the time in off of the football field to get himself ready for the football season,” said his head coach Bill Brest. “So, character, academics and athleticism – he’s a great kid and we’re very proud of him."

Coleman, who committed to West Virginia after the Gold-Blue game last month, picked the Mountaineers over a couple of instate offers in PA.

“He had Penn State, Pitt, Purdue, WVU – he was invited back to Ohio State, Virginia just got on him, Oklahoma State’s been calling and Duke was just in,” Brest said. “But he made the right decision and we’re very excited for him.”

Still, Coleman’s decision to go with West Virginia wasn’t a surprise to his head coach – he said the Mountaineers were at the top early on and capped things off with his visit during the spring.

“We knew going in (he would commit) – we just asked him to make sure he visited some places,” Brest said. “He really wanted to be within a four hour radius away from home and obviously West Virginia’s right at the two hour radius. He’s just very comfortable there and we knew going in – the coaches treated us very well and it was just a great weekend.”

Coleman is listed by Scout.com at 5-foot-11, 170 pounds – but Brest said there’s still a lot of room for him to grow over the next year before he eventually makes the transition to college in 2013.

“He’s been working diligently in the weight room and has put on some solid weight. He could get up to WVU probably about 190-195 pound range,” Brest said.

As for his skill set? Brest evaluates Coleman as a player who understands his surroundings well and doesn’t waste any time getting down the field.

“He does a great job with his vision and the little things like ball-carrying fundamentals and carrying out the fakes when he doesn’t have the ball,” Brest said. “But when he has the ball, he has the uncanny ability to get north and south, which some young kids have difficulty doing at the high school level. We use the analogy that the shortest distance between the line of scrimmage and the goal line is a straight line – and he knows how to do that.”

Tokens
Holgorsen likes WVU's Big 12 title odds

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. -- West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen warned that his team might not be as good as some analysts think, but just how good is it?

Good enough to win a Big 12 title, Holgorsen says.

"We have as good a chance to win it as anybody else," Holgorsen told ESPN.com in a recent interview.

The Mountaineers will enter the season with something close to or better than a top-10 ranking, but they'll be charged as one of the chief contenders to take down favorite Oklahoma, who has won seven Big 12 titles since 2000.

WVU is dealing with a move from the Big East to the Big 12, but Holgorsen doesn't sound too worried about the transition.

"Our guys are used to having to play every week," Holgorsen said. "In the Big East, they had to play every week, because anybody could beat anybody in the Big East, and the same thing exists in the Big 12. Anybody can beat anybody on any given week. That’s not only the Big East or the Big 12. That’s college football right now."

West Virginia learned that lesson last year when it suffered a 26-point loss at the hands of Syracuse, who didn't win another game the rest of the season. In the Big 12, Oklahoma's 39-game home winning streak ended at the hands of Texas Tech, who didn't win another game the rest of its 5-7 season.

Oklahoma State's national title hopes ended in Ames, when Iowa State erased a 17-point, second-half deficit to win in double overtime and qualify for a bowl.

Even 2-10 Kansas, who beat MAC champion Northern Illinois, pushed 10-win Baylor into overtime, and that was only after Heisman winner Robert Griffin III used some fourth-quarter heroics to force the extra period.

As for the transition? That's nothing new for Holgorsen, who's seeking no outside help in guiding the Mountaineers into their new conference home.

"Coming from four different teams in five years, I've transitioned a lot. I don't think here is any different." Holgorsen said. "Going from Big 12 to Conference USA, then Conference USA to Big 12, then Big 12 to Big East, and now Big East to Big 12."

One thing that definitely won't change, Holgorsen says, is how his team views itself. Confidence won't be an issue as the Mountaineers move to the Big 12.

"This team looks at three BCS trophies every day, so they view themselves as a team that can play against anybody," he said, "and if you look at who they’ve beat in those BCS games, three in the last six years, those teams are pretty good."

West Virginia beat Georgia in the 2006 Sugar Bowl before blowing out Oklahoma, 48-28, in the 2008 Fiesta Bowl and embarrassing Clemson in last year's 70-33 laugher of an Orange Bowl.

"They’ve played teams like LSU, Auburn, they’ve played quality opponents," Holgorsen said. "They know how to play in the big game and understand the challenges of having to play in the big game."

Those big games didn't come often in the Big East, where the Mountaineers were the biggest fish in a league devoid of many top 25 teams over the past few years.

Expect plenty of big games in the Big 12 in 2012 and beyond.

Tokens
Was the Orange Bowl Worth the Cost?

The report is in and we now know that the WVU athletic program lost 217 thousand dollars on its Orange Bowl trip last winter.

Was the trip worth it? Absolutely, yes!!!

First of all, the Mountaineers really had no choice in the matter. This is the frustration with the BCS system and the BCS bowls which basically extort money from the schools, forcing the participants to buy 17 or 18 thousand tickets for the game for seats in bad locations. Many fans that go to the game don't buy from their schools because they get better seat locations in the secondary markets.

So, again I ask, was the loss of 217 thousand dollars worth it? Again, I say "Absolutely".

The 70-33 win over Clemson made a statement and enhanced the WVU brand greatly as they move into the Big 12 this fall. Over the last 10 years, WVU football has done many things to make their program better. There have been three BCS bowl wins in the Sugar, Fiesta and Orange bowls. All of these opportunities have enabled Mountaineer athletics to take the next step moving into the Big 12.

The bowl scenario in the Big 12 is better than it is in the Big East. In a story in the Charleston Daily Mail, WVU administrator, Mike Parsons indicated that the Big East holds its member schools responsible for bowl ticket sales. The Big 12 is different. They take the pressure off of the schools by taking the initial hit on bowl tickets.

Don't look at the Orange Bowl as a $200,000 loss. It is a continuing investment in the big picture. You have to have some vision to see it.

The Orange Bowl trip, scoring a bowl record 70 points, making a statement for next year's season ticket sales, making a statement for Dana Holgorsen's offense, making a statement for pre-season All-America honors for Tavon Austin and Geno Smith, was all worth it.

It was definitely money well spent for the Mountaineers.

Tokens
Hype Growing For WVU's Big 12 Move

There’s no doubt West Virginia is taking its fair share of momentum heading into its inaugural Big 12 football season after rolling Clemson in the Orange Bowl. And according to former Oklahoma head coach Barry Switzer, that momentum puts the Mountaineers as the favorite, along with Oklahoma, heading into 2012.

“I think they’re preseason favorites and I’m serious about that,” Switzer told MetroNews. “I think Oklahoma and (West Virginia) would be preseason favorites. I think Texas is third and I don’t see anyone else in the picture.

“I think they have the talent, ability and coaching to be a contender right off the bat. I don’t think there’s any waiting. You’re not going to have to wait and build,” he continued. “They will be a team that can play with anybody we have in our league and can play with the best we have in our league.”

Those are strong comments coming from a person obviously very familiar with the Big 12-type culture. Switzer, of course, making stops in West Virginia as a part of the Mountaineer Athletic Club Coaches’ Caravan. He informed Mountaineer athletic director Oliver Luck of his preseason pick on the plane ride over.

“I said ‘Coach, I appreciate that, but I’m not sure,’” Luck laughed. “You look at what Oklahoma has coming back in a great quarterback with Landry Jones. There’s some pretty good other teams as well. I think Kansas State could easily be considered the No. 1 team in the conference, Texas is always good, TCU has some folks coming back. So, I think Barry is very respectful of our program, but he might be putting a little too much stock into this. But we’ll see how it all plays out.”

Certainly well played by the West Virginia athletic director – not putting any extra fuel into expectations for what already has become one of the more highly anticipated seasons of Mountaineer football. But still, Luck won’t deny that spirits are high in Touchdown City.

“It’s been a good offseason with lots of expectations and a very good attitude and spirit with all of our athletic teams,” Luck said. “We’re going to go (into the Big 12) realizing that we’re going to be entering a great conference. We’re not overlooking our nonconference games because we have three very tough ones. We’re just going to work hard and do our best, but there is a very good spirit right now not just with our teams, but our fan base. Everybody seems to be highly excited and really anticipating the upcoming season.”

Also taking part in the caravan was Mountaineer head football coach Dana Holgorsen who was pleased to have Switzer and former Heisman winner Billy Sims along for the ride.

“It’s two legends when it comes to the Big 12. You’re talking about one guy that’s won national championships and Super Bowls and his partner Billy Sims is a Heisman Trophy winner,” Holgorsen said. “That’s all an example of the things that exist in the Big 12 and I do think that West Virginia is going to bring something to the table when it comes to the Big 12, but that’s kind of what exists in the Big 12.”

Those changes though in West Virginia’s new league won’t be seen just on the football field, but on the basketball court as well. And for Mountaineer head coach Bob Huggins, the most significant change will actually be in the stands.

“We play in so many NBA arenas (in the Big East) that there’s not near as much student involvement as what there is in the Big 12,” Huggins said. “I think Big 12 teams have the greatest home court advantage of any league in the country just because of the way their students get involved.”

It’s a little bit of peer pressure that he hopes will rub off on that Mountaineer student section and crowd as well.

“We’ve had great turnouts and then we’ve had not-so-great turnouts,” Huggins said. “We really need to do it all the time and I think once our students kind of get a load of what their competition is in the Big 12 and the enthusiasm that they bring, I think our students will be great.”

Just more reason to add to the hype of West Virginia’s inaugural year in its new league.

Tokens
Culture change underway at West Virginia

ncf_u_holg_200.jpg

Dana Holgorsen and his staff will run a 3-4 defense against Big 12 offenses next season

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. -- At a recent practice, on the first play of a scrimmage, West Virginia's offense did what West Virginia's offense does: connected for a long pass play.

Echoing from the sidelines, though, were comments that brought a smile to co-defensive coordinator Joe DeForest's face, despite the struggles from the past play.

"Don’t worry about it. Don’t worry about it," teammates yelled. "Move on to the next one. Move on to the next one."

On the second play, the defense forced a sack.

"When kids start repeating what you’re saying out loud, you know they’re listening to you," DeForest told ESPN.com in a recent interview.

What West Virginia's coaches are saying out loud? A brand-new philosophy and culture for the defense.

The Mountaineers will encounter plenty of new faces, places and experiences in the Big 12, but it doesn't take a pigskin prodigy to see the biggest difference will come in the offenses WVU's defense will match up against.

West Virginia led the Big East in total offense in 2011, but only one other team (South Florida) ranked in the national top 60.

Meanwhile, the Big 12 had two of the nation's top three offenses, and six of the top 13. Missouri and Texas A&M were in the top 13 and will play in the SEC in 2012, but TCU brings the nation's No. 28 offense to the Big 12.

A new Mountaineer mindset was needed, and the spring in Morgantown was bent on pounding that into the defense.

"Guys that put their heads down when they give up a big play are going to be in for a long year when they get to the Big 12," coach Dana Holgorsen said. "You’ve got to develop that culture, which is taking place now."

There's no shame in giving up a big play, and nowhere on DeForest's list of goals is a ranking for total defense. After a decade at Oklahoma State, he's learned to focus on more applicable goals.

West Virginia's defense focuses on a three-letter acronym: EAT. DeForest demands Effort, Attitude and ... Turnovers.

"If we can create turnovers like I did at the previous place I was at, that gives you an advantage. It gives your offense possibly three more possessions a game than they would have," DeForest said. "Whether our numbers are good or not doesn’t really concern me. My numbers are wins and losses and how many turnovers we can get so our explosive offense can have another opportunity to score."

Oklahoma State forced 44 turnovers in 2011, six more than any other team in college football. Those wins and losses? The Cowboys went a hearty 12-1 and won the Big 12, even though they ranked 107th nationally in total defense.

Mission accomplished.

Every day in practice, co-coordinators DeForest and and Keith Patterson demand three turnovers from the defense, and the total number for the spring is compared to a goal set when the 15 practices began.

Not only are Big 12 offenses better, they're run at a faster pace. That means more plays for the defense, which requires DeForest and Patterson to develop more depth, while also making sure the players ready to play are better conditioned.

Four Big 12 teams ran at least 1,000 plays in 2011. Three more ran at least 972.

West Virginia ran 959 plays in 2011, but no other Big East team ran more than 944. Half the league ran fewer than 900.

More plays and better offenses means defenses better learn a new understanding of what to expect come Saturdays.

"It’s not about what happens, it’s about how you react to what happens. You’ve just got to forget the last play and move on to the next one, because the next one’s the most important one," DeForest said. "Whoever we’re playing, they’ve got good guys, too. They’re going to make a play. Just give ourselves a chance to play one more play. Get ‘em down and give ourselves a chance to create a turnover on the next play."

West Virginia's not only thinking differently, it's playing differently. The 3-3-5 that's been in place at West Virginia throughout its rise has been replaced by the 3-4 after coordinator Jeff Casteel left to follow former coach Rich Rodriguez to Arizona.

"We hired guys that understand how to stop our offense and how to play defense [against] an offense like this, which obviously exists in the Big 12 a lot," Holgorsen said. "It’s made us better offensively, because they know how to stop us, and those guys are doing a tremendous job on communicating how to get guys lined up quick, which you have to do when Baylor and Oklahoma are snapping that thing at 32 seconds on the play clock."

In the 3-4, offensive lines are pressed to communicate. Three defensive linemen are traditionally down in a stance, but offenses are ideally kept guessing where the fourth, fifth and sixth rushers will be coming from.

"The flexibility, what we have within our scheme, and our players can help us disguise and create confusion," DeForest said.

The means and attitude are different. The goal is the same.

"You can’t be moaning about what happened last. You’ve got to refocus and move on. Our kids are trying to do that," DeForest said. "Ultimately, it’s making one more stop than [the opponent] at the end of the game."

Tokens
Big 12 exposure excites WVU's Holgorsen

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. -- West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen could list plenty of advantages of leaving the Big East for the Big 12.

The Mountaineers will be cashing bigger checks. They'll cash in on fan excitement for newer, big-name opponents making their way to Morgantown, too.

But for Holgorsen, what excites him most is making sure his players get a chance to be recognized for their efforts as deserved.

"Having guys like Tavon Austin and Geno [Smith] be in front of that many more eyes, they’ll get the credit they deserve if they can produce and win football games," Holgorsen said.

West Virginia played each of its 13 games in 2011 on television, but the television exposure gap between the Big East and Big 12 is large.

"We understand the exposure, although it was limited to the Northeast," Holgorsen said. "The thing that I’m excited about for West Virginia, and not only football but basketball and the university and the state is the Big 12 is viewed West Coast to East Coast because of the time zone."

The Big East can put games on TV, but as a league that's struggled to consistently field top-25 teams in recent years, it can't make fans watch.

One game in 2011 influenced public opinion about West Virginia more than any other. When people think West Virginia in 2011, the lasting image will be its 70-point explosion in the Orange Bowl win over Clemson.

That's closer to what West Virginia can expect in the Big 12, versus its weekly viewing audience in the Big East.

Tokens
Alabama to face WVU in Atlanta in 2014

333.gif
277.gif

The Crimson Tide and West Virginia, now of the Big 12, will meet for the first time ever when the two open the 2014 season in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta, bowl officials announced Thursday.

“Alabama and West Virginia are consistently among the premier teams in the country and we’re thrilled to be able to host such a high-profile game with representatives from the SEC and the Big 12,” Chick-fil-A Bowl president and CEO Gary Stokan said in a statement Thursday. “This will be an epic blockbuster-type game the nation will anticipate for a long, long time and will continue our tradition of showcasing two top-ranked teams to open the season on Saturday night.”

Added Alabama coach Nick Saban: "The Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game is an outstanding event and we look forward to opening the 2014 season in Atlanta. The exposure for our football players and our program is tremendous and it is a great experience for our fans. This will be the sixth time we have played a nonconference game at a neutral site, and the fourth time at Atlanta."

Tickets to the game will be evenly split between the two teams to a true neutral-site game. All tickets to the game will be sold through the university ticket offices.

Alabama is 10-8-1 all-time against teams from the Big 12. The most recent victory came in the 2010 BCS National Championship Game against Texas.

Tokens
WVU in better spot in Big 12 than ACC

Thursday, West Virginia president James Clements phoned just about every major local media outlet with the good news.

“I’m thrilled to say that [athletic director] Oliver [Luck] is staying at WVU.”

Luck had been rumored to be a candidate for the AD job at Stanford, and the former Mountaineer quarterback didn’t ease any concerns with “no comment” rebuttals. But who could have blamed him if he left? Stanford is one of the premier academic and athletic institutions in the country, not to mention Luck would be reunited with his daughter, Mary Ellen, a volleyball player for the Cardinal.

Ultimately, though, Luck opted to stay at WVU and the university is better off because of it.

Why? Just look at the major announcement today that the Big 12, West Virginia’s new athletic home, will pair up with the SEC for a five-year bowl agreement at a to-be-determined site separate from a four-team playoff that is inevitably coming to major college football.

The game is designed to pair the champions of both conferences in the unlikely event the Big 12 and SEC are not represented in the new four-team playoff, but who plays actually matters little. Rather, it’s what the agreement symbolizes that is important: the consolidation of power among four leading athletic conferences, separating themselves from the rest of pack.

The Sporting News reported today that the goal is for the game to stand alone with its own TV contract with “unthinkable” revenue potential. You know who gets a slice of that “unthinkable” revenue? West Virginia. You know who is now part of the four most secure leagues in college athletics? West Virginia.

Rewind eight months. Then-Big East commissioner John Marinatto is walking through Maryland’s press box with SEC-type speed and making calls. Pittsburgh and Syracuse have just announced they will be leaving for the ACC. TCU follows suit to the Big 12 shortly thereafter. The Big East, previously unscathed by conference realignment, is now collapsing. West Virginia, just like every other football member in the Big East, is undoubtedly making calls and giving elevator pitches.

How about the ACC? Pffft. As if. They wanted nothing to do with WVU, turning their nose up at the mere thought.

Maybe the SEC? Sorry, no TV market; no footprint; no value; no invite.

The Mountaineers had a home, yet felt homeless. That is until the Big 12 extended an invitation last October… after brief scare with Big East rival Louisville over the last spot, of course. It wouldn’t really be in West Virginia’s style if it was easy, right?

Being in the Big 12 feels a bit out of place, but as intercollegiate athletics continues to cannibalize itself, the Mountaineers are just glad to have a seat at the table.

The same can’t be said for the ACC, which is now experiencing the worst kind of karma.

When the ACC went from nine to 12 teams beginning in 2005, it left the Big East to the vultures and its sights set on greener pastures (in a monetary sense of the phrase). That never formulated as the league signed an exclusive TV deal with ESPN last week that paid each member $17 million. Not bad, but not as lucrative as deals inked by the Big Ten, Pac-12, and in due time, Big 12.

Now that four conferences hold a majority of the power and money, the ACC joins the Big East on an island of misfit toys.

“Better get good bowl games,” interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas advised the two beleaguered leagues today.

That’s not to say the ACC can’t form its own bowl partnership with sponsors and media distribution – it can – but to imply it will be anything like the Big 12-SEC agreement given the current disparity in product is absurd.

In a way, getting shafted by the ACC was one of the best thing that ever happened to West Virginia.

Tokens
Big 12 - SEC Deal A Sign Of Four Power Leagues

Friday’s bowl announcement between the Big 12 Conference and SEC is another step in what appears to be the breaking off of the four power conferences. The Big 10 and Pac 12 have the Rose Bowl and now the Big 12 and SEC have a similar arrangement moving forward, leaving both the Big East and ACC out in the cold.

The overall college football landscape continues to change with realignment and for once, West Virginia won’t have to worry about being in an after-thought league.

The likelihood, however, of the Big 12-SEC champions actually facing off in its newly announced bowl game isn’t great. It’s difficult to imagine both league champions being left out of college football’s four-team playoff which starts in 2014.

Still, what it does do is secure a high profile matchup and bowl game for whoever finishes second in the league as well, something West Virginia didn’t have in the Big East.

The Big 12 – SEC bowl deal also brings up even more questions to realignment. How will the move impact Florida State? Will the Seminoles see the writing on the wall and decide to pursue the Big 12 or even the SEC? While Florida State of late hasn’t been the team it once was on the football field, the Seminoles are still a name brand. If nothing else, it gives FSU more things to consider.

Tokens
QB Chavas Rawlins Commits to WVU

West Virginia received its fourth football verbal commitment on Friday as dual-threat quarterback Chavas Rawlins announced he will play for the Mountaineers and head coach Dana Holgorsen.

Rawlins stands in at 6-foot-4, 190 pounds and will be a senior this upcoming year at Monessen High School in Pennsylvania. He’s rated as a three star prospect by both Scout.com and Rivals.com.

He picked West Virginia over a multitude of other offers, including Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Nebraska, North Carolina, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, South Florida, Tennessee and Virginia.

During his junior year, Rawlins ran and threw for around 1,600 yards while scoring 15 touchdowns.

Tokens
Phil Steele Names Austin, Bailey 1st-Team Big 12

Mountaineers Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey are both named preseason first team All-Big 12 by Phil Steele. West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith was named to the second team behind Oklahoma’s Landry Jones who was tabbed first team. Also on the second team offense from West Virginia is offensive lineman Joe Madsen. Linemen Jeff Braun and Josh Jenkins were both named to the third team.

Defensively, no Mountaineers made the first or second teams, but Jorge Wright and Terence Garvin were both named to the third team. Will Clarke, Jewone Snow and Darwin Cook all received fourth team preseason honors.

Austin, meanwhile, was also named as first team punt returner and second team kickoff returner. Mountaineer kicker Tyler Bitancurt was named as the fourth team kicker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faisalaftab
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com