UFC Fight Night 86 - Sunday 4/10 - Info / Predictions / Odds / Chatter

Search

When you're broke, you Break
Tokens
UFC Fight Night 86 Newcomer Breakdown: Cristina Stanciu

Prior to each UFC card, Jay Primetown takes a close look at debuting fighters.

Cristina “Barbie” Stanciu
Hometown: Bucharest, Romania
Height: 5’4”
Reach: 64”
Weight Class: Strawweight
Camp: Absoluto Bucharest
Career Record: 5-0
Key Wins: None
Key Losses: None

Background
The first Romanian fighter to ever sign with the UFC, Stanciu is one of the youngest fighters in the promotion at just 22 years of age. Stanciu is an accomplished Wushu practitioner have placed third in its world championships on multiple occasions.

Strengths

• Aggressive striker
  • Unorthodox, creative combinations
  • Big power for the weight class
  • Throws with heavy volume during periods of aggression
  • Really good front kick to the head
  • Latches on submissions quickly when opportunities present themselves

Weaknesses

• Low level of competition
  • Too hittable on the feet
  • Long periods of inactivity in between short bursts of aggression
  • Questionable cardio

Matchup with Maryna Moroz
A dark horse for fight of the night as two eastern European strawweights square off in Zagreb, Croatia. Both fighters like to press the action and are willing to engage at length. I expect this fight to start quickly and be fought at a fast clip. Moroz is the rangier striker with a more accomplished boxing attack. Stanciu is far more creative in the striking and packs more power in her strikes. If the fight stays on the feet, I think there is an advantage for the debutant as we’ve seen Moroz dropped in the past and this is the most powerful striker she’s ever faced. Stanciu would need to score early as Moroz fights at a pretty decent pace for three rounds. It’s going to be difficult for the Romanian to keep up as the fight progresses. In regards to the grappling, all of Moroz’s victories have come by submission. Moroz is excellent off her back and is a real threat to score a submission in this match. Stanciu certainly has a chance to win this bout, but the more likely winner is Moroz with a more well-rounded skill set and superior cardio.

UFC Ceiling

Cristina Stanciu enters the UFC with a decent amount of hype. She’s only 22 years of age and looks to be one of the more exciting fighters in the strawweight division. Her aggressive, creative combination approach will give many fighters problems in a division that doesn’t have many finishers on the feet. As Stanciu continues to develop, she should improve her skill set and push towards the top 15 in the division. She will need to work on her endurance and prove she has a capable ground to develop beyond a fringe top 15 fighter.

Tokens
Fighter on Fighter: Breaking down UFC Fight Night 86's Junior dos Santos
from Andrew Richardson - MMA Mania

Striking
Not long ago, dos Santos was considered one of UFC's most feared boxers. The Brazilian fired off blistering combinations and knew how to set up his heavy punches, which was more than enough to let him run through the majority of Heavyweights.

To connect with his power punches, dos Santos does a nice job figuring out his range before engaging. On the outside, dos Santos tests his opponent with low-commitment jabs and feints. Before long, he'll begin looking for his opponent's body.

The body jab is a staple of dos Santos' attack. As he fires off a stiff jab to his opponent's mid-section, dos Santos drops his head off the center line and is difficult to counter. While it's not the most punishing shot, it does serve several purposes. For example, the strike helps sap his opponent's energy, stop his forward pressure, and can get his opponent's hands to drop.

The body jab works wonders in setting up his overhand right. As his opponent's hands lower, dos Santos will switch directly to the overhand while ducking down in a similar motion to his body jab. This setup leaves his opponent wide open to the overhand, and it has toppled many of his opponents, including Velasquez.

It's important to mention that dos Santos has power in both hands. Though it seems to be less important to him now -- which may be a cause of his current slump -- dos Santos does know how to use his lead hand effectively, halting his opponent with jabs or sliding the hook around his foe's guard.

"Cigano's" hook is rather versatile. He likes to throw it quickly in combination with his jab and can also lunge in hard with the strike. However, dos Santos is at his best when he slips down left and comes back with a hard counter hook.

Another tool that dos Santos has been declining to use more is his kicking game. While dos Santos has never been a dedicated kickboxer, he did have some quick kicks that made for a nice addition to his game and kept things unexpected. Notably, dos Santos knocked out Mark Hunt with a spinning wheel kick in the third round of their scrap.

Defensively, dos Santos' flaws still exist, and he has done little to remedy them. That's a major problem for any fighter, as once a blue print is established to overcome their game, any and everyone will look to take advantage.

Dos Santos simply does not do a very good job at controlling his position inside the Octagon. He routinely backs himself into the fence and then does little to adjust from there, making it easy for his opponent to land shots and compromise his stance. Dos Santos' solution to this problem is not a good one, as he switches into the Southpaw stance and tries to jab his way out with his hands low.

In his last bout, dos Santos was extremely hesitant to commit to attacking his opponent. That's a truly bad sign, as dos Santos has never been a defensive wizard. If his offense is no longer enough to deter his opponent, then "Cigano' is likely in for a world of hurt in the near future.

Wrestling

If there is a bright side to dos Santos' skid, it's that his wrestling skill still appears to be quite strong. The Brazilian is still a tremendously difficult fighter to take down, springing back up quickly on the rare occasion he's forced to the mat.

It's pretty rare for dos Santos to look for the takedown on his own, but that part of his game is effective. It relies in large part on his athleticism, which is well above average compared to most Heavyweights. Dos Santos does a nice job quickly changing levels and driving through his opponent for a strong blast double leg.

Defensively, "JDS" is among the division's best. His sprawl is very powerful, and his balance is more than enough to avoid most single legs. Plus, dos Santos' boxing is usually rangy enough to give him time to react to his opponent's shots. Even in Velasquez's pair of victories over the Brazilian, dos Santos was able to stuff a majority of Velasquez's shots.

In particular, dos Santos is excellent at springing back to his feet. After his opponent completes a takedown, dos Santos immediately turns away and stands. As he does this, he moves his hips out and fights the hands, which usually breaks his foe's grip. It's a risky tactic, but dos Santos is quick enough to get away without giving up his back.

While dos Santos does a very nice job of defending takedowns against the fence, he's too content to work with his back to the cage. This flaw ties in with the issues in his striking defense, as dos Santos doesn't show the urgency or technique needed to get out of such a terrible position.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Despite owning a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, dos Santos rarely is grappling inside the Octagon. Generally, he's either knocking out his opponents in violent fashion or trading along the fence, neither of which create many submission opportunities.

That said, dos Santos has showed some skill from his back, and he's not bad defensively. Even after getting dropped badly by Velasquez, dos Santos managed to prevent or quickly escape many dominant positions and work back to his feet, as well as escaping an arm bar from his opponent.

Velasquez has one of the most violent top games in the sport, so that's no small feat.

Dos Santos also showed a bit of his top game off against Mark Hunt. After opening Hunt up with elbows, he quickly capitalized on the "Super Samoan's" loose half guard by cutting through it with his knee. He then moved into the crucifix immediately, allowing him to land some nice elbow strikes.

Conclusion

Dos Santos has spent most of his Heavyweight career crushing fighters who were slower, less skilled strikers. For all his improvement, Ben Rothwell still fits that description. And on paper, he's a man who dos Santos should defeat. Between dos Santos' decline and "Big Ben's" ruthless opportunism, the waters are certainly muddied, but it's abundantly clear the "Cigano" must win this fight to remain in the title mix.

Tokens
UFC Fight Night 86: Preview and Predictions
from Kaiana Miller - Slickster Magazine

Ben Rothwell vs Junior Dos Santos

If this fight had been made three years ago JDS would have been an easy pick to win. Before losing his title to Cain Velasquez, Dos Santos had rattled of ten straight wins with eight of them being finishes. Since losing for the first time to Velasquez, Dos santos is 2-2. Most recently, he was knocked out by Alistair Overeem. Rothwell’s path to Fight Night 86 has been the opposite. He has won four straight fights, all of them finishes including a knockout of the aforementioned Overeem. He became the first man to submit Josh Barnett in his last fight. A win against Dos Santos would almost certainly get Rothwell a title shot against the winner of Fabricio Werdum and Stipe Miocic in May.

Junior Dos Santos is a former champion. It is beginning to seem as though that is all he will ever be. After three ugly wars in his last five fights (2 against Velasquez and the other against Stipe Miocic) Dos Santos looks battered. The speeding and timing advantage that he used to have appeared to be absent against Alistair Overeem. This fight against Rothwell gives JDS a big opportunity to get back to his winning ways and potentially put him on the fast track to a title shot. A boxer by nature, Cigano prefers to keep the fight on the feet all the time. His takedown defense throughout his career has been outstanding, which has allowed him to keep the fight where he has wanted it. Dos Santos has legit knockout power in both hands and has more recently begun to utilize kicks. His offensive wrestling and grappling game is essentially non-existent. He is at his best when he is able to control the range, darting in with punches from both hands and then exiting before being countered. He has often found himself in trouble when his opponent presses forward.

Rothwell is a very unique heavyweight, both in fight style as well as in personality. He is one of the few fighters in the division that has to legitimately cut weight to get down to the 265 lb limit. His fight style is best described as awkward and opportunistic. To begin his recent four fight winning streak Rothwell dropped the first two rounds against Brandon Vera before going all out in the third, dropping Vera with a knee and ending the fight with follow up punches. In his last two fights against Matt Mitrione and Josh Barnett, Rothwell waited for his opponents to shoot for a takedown before locking up what he calls a ‘go-go’ choke. On the feet Rothwell is what you would expect from a big heavyweight, slow and powerful. He stands with his feet even, which is very unusual. He claims that this allows him to be unpredictable, and the results have tended to back up what he says. Durability is not a concern at all for Big Ben, who can eat punches from the likes of Mark Hunt

Prediction:
Dos Santos most likely path to victory will be to stick and move. His once durable chin is now questionable and if Big Ben can take him down JDS will have a very difficult time getting back to his feet. Speed will be a huge advantage for ‘Cigano’ and if the Brazilian is able to keep Rothwell at his range, he could walk away with a decision victory. However, it may be too much to ask for five rounds. JDS will start off the fight good, avoiding the slower man’s punches while landing a few good shots of his own. I expect Rothwell to take his time and wait for an opportunity. When one is presented, Big Ben will capitalize. Ben Rothwell by 3rd round knockout is the pick.

Derrick Lewis vs Gabriel Gonzaga

Another heavyweight fight co-headlines the card. Derrick Lewis is stepping in for Ruslan Magomedov who had to pull out due to injury. Lewis last fought in early February, winning by TKO in a domination of Damian Grabowski. Gonzaga is coming off a decision victory against Konstantin Erokhin that snapped a three fight losing streak.

Derrick Lewis is a big, scary man. 13 of his 14 professional victories have come by way of knockout or TKO. ‘The Black Beast’ likes to shoot for early takedowns. When he gets his opponent to the ground it is usually game over. He has vicious ground and pound from nearly every top ground position. Because of this, Lewis typically does not try to advance position, preferring to through bombs until his opponent goes to sleep. On the feet, Lewis is susceptible to big strikes. He was knocked out by both Matt Mitrione and Shawn Jordan. His game is pretty straightforward, get the other man to the ground and put him away or risk being caught on the feet or losing a decision.

Gabriel Gonzaga is a ‘finish-or-be-finished’ fighter. Only 3 of his 27 professional fights have gone to the judges scorecards. Gonzaga his power in both his hands and his feet (just ask Mirko Cro-Cop’s head). He is at his best on the ground though, where he can utilize his ground and pound to set up submissions. Gonzaga’s jiu-jitsu is above average, especially in the heavyweight division. Defensively, Gonzaga is very hittable. His takedown defense is also suspect, and his age as well as the wear on his body has not helped that.

Prediction:
Gonzaga’s best days are behind him, plain and simple. The fight will remain on the feet until Derrick Lewis decides otherwise. Whenever he wants to, ‘The Black Beast’ will take Gonzaga down and hit him until he is unconscious. Derrick Lewis by brutal first round knockout.

Other Fight Night 86 Predictions

Jan Blachowicz defeats Igor Pokrajac by 2nd round submission

Francis Ngannou defeats Curtis Blaydes by 2nd round TKO

Zak Cummings defeats Nicolas Dalby by decision

When You're Broke, you BREAK
Tokens
Great to see you posting here, great bunch of guys here- these information threads are tremendous & a big help-- I always make sure to check out your plays to!

Tokens
Glad you like them ...

This event sucks balls and not even sure if I will even have a play. Just an AWFUL card.

Tokens
Live Dogs for UFC Fight Night 86 in Croatia
from MMA Odds Breaker

Here are my live dogs:

Heavyweight bout: Ben Rothwell (+110) vs Junior Dos Santos (-130)

Gabe’s Thoughts:
Rothwell seems to be on the way up, while Dos Santos appears to be on the way down, as for as the UFC heavyweight ladder is concerned. I can see Rothwell winning this fight by T/KO, submission r on the judges’ scorecards after five scheduled rounds of action. As far as he avoids the Brazilian’s knock-out punch, I think Rothwell will walk away with the win and make a claim as the number one contender to the UFC heavyweight championship gold.

Gabe’s Call:
Rothwell by T/KO (punches, 1:33 round 1)

Gabe’s Recommended Play:
Rothwell (+110) 4u to win 4.4u

Women’s Strawweight bout: Cristina Stanciu (+160) vs Maryna Moroz (-185)

Gabe’s Thoughts: I think this women’s 115-pound contest will be much closer than the betting odds currently suggest. I think Stanciu will win the first round of this bout and favor her to win the second, but I think Moroz will take over in the third and final frame. If Stanciu avoids being submitted in the final stanza, I think she will walk away with a victory on the judges’ scorecards. It could be unanimous or split, and could very well come down to the second round. I think she is capable of finishing Moroz in the first round, but more often than not, I think she takes this one on the judges’ scorecards. I would not at all be surprised to see Moroz get her hand raised, but at these odds, I think Stanciu is the right side for a wager.

Gabe’s Call: Stanciu by Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)

Gabe’s Recommended Play:
Stanciu (+160) 1.5u to win 2.4u

Lightweight bout: Damir Hadzovic (+250) vs Mairbek Taisumov (-300)

Gabe’s Thoughts:
I was initially eyeing a play on Taisumov for this contest but after looking into it, I see Hadzovic as a live dog and like him for a wager. I am going to make a value play, as well as pick him to win the fight straight up. I think he is capable of winning this fight on the feet or on the mat, and as long as Octagon jitters don’t play too big a factor, I like him to walk away with a unanimous nod from the judges’ at Octagon-side in this contest following three rounds of competitive action.

Gabe’s Call: Hadzovic by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Gabe’s Recommended Play:
Hadzovic (+250) 2u to win 5u

Featherweight bout: Lucas Martins (-115) vs Robert Whiteford (-105)

Gabe’s Thoughts:
I believe Whiteford is the superior mixed martial artist heading into this 145-pound contest and I think he should be a -250 betting favorite, so I really like him for a play at his current offering price of -105. I see him taking Martins down and dominating him on the mat, either en route to a unanimous decision victory on the judges’ scorecards or a possible finish along the way.

Gabe’s Call: Whiteford by Submission (rear naked choke, 3:11 round 2)

Gabe’s Recommended Play:
Whiteford (-105) 4.2u to win 4u

Gabe’s Recommended Play:
Stanciu (+160) 1.5u to win 2.4u

Tokens
UFC Fight Night 86 Breakdown: Gabriel Gonzaga vs Derrick Lewis
from MMA Odds Breaker

Prior to each UFC fight card, Jay Primetown takes a look at some of the key contests at each event. In the latest installment, we look at a heavyweight bout between Brazilian Gabriel Gonzaga and American Derrick Lewis. This is an important clash in the heavyweight division as the winner likely vaults into the division’s top 15 with a victory.

Gabriel Gonzaga (Record: 17-10, +120 Underdog, Fighter Grade: C)

The fourth division Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt is a highly skilled grappler. He holds a silver medal from ADCC Submission Wrestling Championships. He has one of the longest tenures in the UFC having fought in the organization since 2005.

For lack of a better term, Gonzaga is a gatekeeper in the UFC’s heavyweight division. He’s a solid heavyweight, but challenging the elite is certainly behind him. His standup has improved and he fights with caution on the feet looking to avoid getting knocked out. Eight of his ten career losses are by knockout, so that is his Achilles heel. His ability to wrestle is above average for the weight class with his submission game very strong. He holds some solid wins over Shawn Jordan and rising contender Ben Rothwell. He only has losses to established heavyweight fighters. Gonzaga is not fast, nor too athletic, but he’s a big heavyweight, tough to outmuscle, and difficult to grind to a decision. The way to beat him is by forcing him into a standup exchange and putting him away with a knockout.

Derrick Lewis (Record: 14-4, -140 Favorite, Fighter Grade: C-)

The New Orleans-born Lewis moved to Houston as a teenager and that’s where he picked up boxing. Under the tutelage of the great George Foreman. After being introduced by a friend to mixed martial arts, Lewis stuck with it after dominating an opponent in his first career MMA bout.

Lewis is an intimidating heavyweight at 6’3” tall and a 79 inch reach. He’s best known for his forward style and his heavy hands. He throws punches with intent and is capable of putting opponents away. Of his 14 career wins, all but one of those victories ended by knockout. Lewis has had success in recent UFC fights as he had been paired with some of the smaller fighters in the weight class. He significantly outweighed opponents on fight day and was able to muscle his opponents to the ground. In top control, he’s a devastating fighter and a guy that can finish an opponent easily with ground and pound. He’s shown more a calculated style in his past couple fights and an improved gas tank which has put him on the verge of the top 15 in the division.

Match-up

This is a solid co-main event between two guys at different stages of their career. Gonzaga is an established heavyweight that has become a gatekeeper in this weight class. Lewis, while not young in his own right, is a fighter on the rise looking to make a name for himself at heavyweight and get the best win of his career. On the feet, Lewis is the natural striker with a solid pedigree in boxing. Gonzaga has made improvements in his standup becoming a capable counter striker, but clearly there is an advantage for Lewis here. Gonzaga has been knocked out eight times in his career. The longer this fight stays standing, the more likely that Lewis will land a shot on the feet and take control of this fight. On the flipside, Lewis has done his best work by sheer strong arming opponents to the mat and demolishing them in ground and pound. That’s where this fight gets interesting as Gonzaga is really the first large heavyweight Lewis has faced in the UFC with a strong base. I think it will be difficult for Lewis to get Gonzaga to the ground. In fact, I think it’s more likely that Gonzaga lands takedowns of his own. If he’s able to do that, he’s absolutely a threat to win with submissions. Gonzaga has one of the best submission grapplers in the weight class. In what looks to be a competitive fight, I side with the fighter who has more tools in his arsenal and that’s Gonzaga. At plus money, he’s very much worthy of a bet on Sunday.

Tokens
The Complete Guide to UFC Fight Night 86: Dos Santos vs. Rothwell
By Patrick Wyman - MMA Senior Analyst - Bleacher Report

Fight Pass Prelims

Middleweights

Alessio di Chirico (9-0; 0-0 UFC) vs. Bojan Velickovic (13-3; 0-0 UFC)

Italy's Di Chirico becomes the second fighter from his country to fight in the UFC as he takes on Serbia's Velickovic in the event's curtain-jerker. Velickovic previously held the Resurrection Fighting Alliance welterweight title and trains in the United States, while Di Chirico is a veteran of the Italian and Polish circuits.

The Italian is big, strong and physical, but his skills are fairly limited. Everything he throws at range is a single strike, though he packs some power, and he relies heavily on a single-leg takedown and decent top game. Velickovic is well-rounded, with a solid but low-output southpaw kickboxing game, better offensive than defensive wrestling and a smooth, dangerous grappling arsenal of sweeps and submissions.

Prediction: Velickovic has a great deal more depth of skill, and that should be the difference here. The Serbian submits Di Chirico in the third round.

Heavyweights

Jared Cannonier (7-1; 0-1 UFC) vs. Cyril Asker (7-1; 0-0 UFC)

America's Cannonier meets France's Asker in a solid heavyweight bout. Cannonier debuted against Shawn Jordan 15 months ago and suffered a first-round knockout loss, while Asker has mostly fought in South Africa.

Cannonier has professional boxing experience, and it shows in his smooth jab, crisp footwork and potent, technically sound right hand. Asker too has some experience throwing hands in the ring, but he relies more on a solid wrestling game and strong top control.

Prediction: The American is faster and more sound on the feet. He knocks out Asker in the first round.

Featherweights

Rob Whiteford (12-3; 2-2 UFC) vs. Lucas Martins (15-3; 3-3 UFC)

Brazilian striker Martins takes on Scottish judoka Whiteford in an excellent featherweight matchup. Martins has dropped two in a row, losing a decision to Darren Elkins before a first-round knockout loss at the hands of blue-chip prospect Mirsad Bektic. Elkins snapped Whiteford's two-fight winning streak last October.

Martins is a smooth, offensively focused striker with big power in his hands, though he isn't hard to hit and has a bad habit of brawling. Strong takedown defense generally keeps him standing. Whiteford has a well-timed and powerful counterpunching arsenal from his southpaw stance and a technical clinch game, but he's limited on the feet and has questionable defensive wrestling skills.

Prediction: If the Brazilian can keep this standing, he should handle Whiteford. He's the more technically skilled striker and works at a much-better pace. Martins knocks him out in the second round.

Fox Sports 1 Prelims

Bantamweights

Filip Pejic (10-1-1; 0-0 UFC) vs. Damian Stasiak (8-3; 0-1 UFC)

Croatia's Pejic makes his UFC debut against Poland's Stasiak to open the Fox Sports 1 portion of the broadcast. Stasiak's first appearance in the promotion was a decision loss to Yaotzin Meza last April.

The Pole boasts an intriguing mixture of competition karate and jiu-jitsu along with decent wrestling skills, but he offers little from his back and doesn't defend takedowns particularly well. Pejic is a rangy (5'11"), athletic and dangerous striker with big power in his hands and defensive wrestling that has steadily improved. He excels at sneaking in shots on the counter and in transition.

Prediction
: Pejic is a slight underdog, but his size, surprising speed and killer instinct make him a potentially special fighter with more seasoning. He knocks out Stasiak in the second round.

Lightweights

Mairbek Taisumov (24-5; 4-1 UFC) vs. Damir Hadzovic (10-2; 0-0 UFC)

Chechyna's Taisumov takes on Bosnia's Hadzovic in a lightweight barnburner. The Chechen has won three in a row, all of them inside the distance, since his lone UFC loss. He's ready for a Top 15 opponent, which makes for a strange pairing with the debuting Hadzovic—a talented veteran of Europe's biggest promotions.

Taisumov is a diverse and talented fighter with great athleticism, speed and power. He puts together smooth combinations on the feet and packs brutal force in his counterpunches and round kicks, while mixing in the occasional spinning kick for good measure. Strong wrestling complements his lethal striking repertoire, and on top he packs vicious power in his ground strikes.

Hadzovic is mostly a striker. He starts a bit slow, but once he finds his rhythm, a crisp jab and vicious round kicks come early and often. The clinch is his strongest suit, and he excels at punching his way inside and then firing off sharp knees and elbows. His takedown defense has been solid, but it has yet to be tested by an expert wrestler.

Prediction: The Chechen has big edges in athleticism, speed and experience, but given Hadzovic's preference to strike and his durability, this should be fun. Taisumov takes a competitive—but clear—decision.

Bantamweights

Ian Entwistle (9-2; 1-1 UFC) vs. Alejandro Perez (16-6; 2-1 UFC)

The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America winner Perez returns to action against the United Kingdom's Entwistle. Perez has seen mixed results in his UFC career, submitting to the unheralded Patrick Williams after winning the show but then rebounding with a nice win over Scott Jorgensen.

Entwistle has split his two outings, dropping his debut to Daniel Hooker before submitting Anthony Birchak.

Perez is a skilled kickboxer with nice punching combinations and potent kicks, especially to the legs. He defends takedowns fairly well and is generally sound on the mat. Entwistle is a leg-lock specialist, and that's basically the extent of his game.

Prediction: This fight revolves around whether Entwistle can get it to the ground or not. If he can, he probably submits Perez, and if not he'll get chewed up on the feet. Entwistle finds the submission in the first round.

Welterweights

Nicolas Dalby (14-0-1; 1-0-1 UFC) vs. Zak Cummings (18-4; 3-1 UFC)

Denmark's Dalby takes on the American Cummings in a fun welterweight matchup. Dalby won an entertaining UFC debut and then drew with Darren Till in the Fight of the Night last October in Dublin. Cummings, a veteran of The Ultimate Fighter 17, rebounded from a loss to Gunnar Nelson by knocking out Dominique Steele last July.

Striking is in Dalby's wheelhouse. A karate practitioner, he combines constant movement with a high-volume attack of punching combinations and kicks that wears his opponent down over the course of the fight. The clinch is a strong backup, and Dalby can do real damage with knees in tight. Well-timed takedowns add another dimension, and he defends his opponents' shots with skill.

Cummings is well-rounded and enormous for the division. The southpaw has some power in his hands, but he tends to work slowly on the feet. The real strength of his skills lies in his takedowns, top game and submission repertoire.

Prediction: The American is a diverse veteran, but unless he can get this fight to the ground, Dalby is going to chew him up with volume on the feet. The Dane takes a decision.

Strawweights

Maryna Moroz (6-1; 1-1 UFC) vs. Cristina Stanciu (5-0; 0-0 UFC)

Ukraine's Moroz returns to action against the debuting Stanciu, a native of Romania. Moroz debuted with a shocking upset win over contender Joanne Calderwood, but was upset herself by Valerie Letourneau last August. Stanciu has only been fighting professionally for 18 months, and has yet to face elite competition.

Moroz is a technically sound striker with a deep background in boxing. She works behind a punishing jab and fires off a steady diet of smooth, powerful punching combinations. Hair triggers on her counters make her dangerous in the pocket, and she will bury her opponent in volume if her opponent consents to engage her on the feet. Her footwork is crisp and technical, and it always keeps her close enough to her opponent to throw.

Despite her skill, Moroz isn't perfect on the feet. Her kicks are easy to counter, she's not a great defensive fighter and her pace guarantees she'll be hit quite a bit.
The biggest problem, however, is that she's predictable with her combinations. That's a common characteristic of Eastern European boxers, but it's especially clear with Moroz, who has been trained to throw rote sequences of punches based on particular triggers rather than organically reading her opponent as the fight goes on.

Wrestling is the weakest facet of Moroz's game. She has no real takedowns to speak of, and defensively she's limited to a basic sprawl. Her pathologically aggressive guard partially makes up for that, and she's especially lethal with her armbar. She doesn't have much to offer in extended grappling sequences, though.
Stanciu is inexperienced but promising. She's mostly a striker, and she has her good and bad points on the feet. On the plus side, Stanciu has big power in her hands and puts together slick combinations of punches and kicks. She keeps her head moving and has a nice sense for angles and counters.

On the down side, she's wild and has a bad habit of throwing wide, looping punches when she thinks her opponent is hurt. Despite her head movement, Stanciu isn't hard to hit, and she has a bad habit of throwing caution to the wind and jumping head-first into firefights.

On the mat, Stanciu is aggressive and has a good nose for finding submissions and dominant positions in transition. It's hard to say given the limited film, but she doesn't seem like a particularly accomplished wrestler.

Prediction
Those betting odds seem approximately correct, but regardless of who wins, this is going to be a barnburner. Both fighters like to engage in quick-paced striking matchups and have a preference for throwing hands in the pocket, so it should be a battle of Moroz's more efficient and technically sound boxing against Stanciu's power and physicality. Moroz takes a close decision.

Light Heavyweights

Igor Pokrajac (28-12, 1 N/C; 4-7, 1 N/C UFC) vs. Jan Blachowicz (18-5; 1-2 UFC)

Light heavyweights in desperate need of a win meet in the main card's second bout. Croatia's Pokrajac finished his first stint in the UFC with four losses and a no-contest and followed that up with a three-fight winning streak on the regional scene. Poland's Blachowicz has lost two in a row since a promising debut, dropping decisions to Jimi Manuwa and Corey Anderson.

With only four wins in 12 UFC appearances, it's hard to imagine the UFC keeping Pokrajac around if he loses here, and Blachowicz too is on thin ice.

The Pole is mostly a striker. He is technically sound and packs real power in all of his strikes, which he tends to throw as single punches and kicks from both stances. His left kick to the body is particularly lethal, and he can operate both moving forward and on the counter.

The clinch is another strong suit. Sharp knees and strong control that plays off his size and strength make him a handful on the inside, and he wrestles well both offensively and defensively. He does good work from top position, with smooth passes, strong control and a mixture of hard ground strikes and submissions.
The problem with all of this is pace and output. Almost everything Blachowicz throws is a single shot, and he rarely throws more than eight or 10 strikes in a minute.

He's devastating and fairly accurate, but that's just not enough volume to consistently win decisions. The reason for this lack of output is cardio: Blachowicz can't fight even at that slow pace for more than eight or 10 minutes without gassing.

Pokrajac is an aggressive and dangerous fighter. He generally throws bombs as he works his way forward, though he has shown more signs of calm and patience in his last several fights. Power in both hands makes him dangerous, but he's hittable and not terribly diverse.

The Croat's real area of strength is the clinch. He's strong and uses underhooks for stifling control against the fence, where he lands good short punches and knees. Wrestling, both offensive and defensive, is a weak point. He can hit the occasional submission on the ground and throws good ground strikes from the top, but he's limited on the mat.

Prediction
As the betting odds indicate, this matchup favors Blachowciz. He's the more technical clinch fighter, where much of the fight is likely to take place, and Pokrajac doesn't throw the kind of volume to trouble Blachowicz at range. The Pole finishes with strikes in the first round.

Heavyweights

Timothy Johnson (9-2; 1-1 UFC) vs. Marcin Tybura (13-1; 0-0 UFC)

American wrestler Johnson "welcomes" Polish blue-chip prospect Tybura to the Octagon. Johnson has split a pair of fights in the UFC, defeating Shamil Abdurakhimov before losing a close fight to Jared Rosholt. Tybura was the M-1 heavyweight champion and defeated a who's who of high-level regional talent in Europe before coming to the UFC.

The Pole is a skilled and well-rounded fighter. Nobody will confuse him with a pro kickboxer on the feet, but he throws crisp kicks and hard punches. For the most part, those strikes serve to disguise Tybura's clinch entries and level changes. He's not the most overpowering wrestler, relying heavily on grinding chains of trips and single-leg takedowns, but he's relentless and fairly technical.

Grappling is in Tybura's wheelhouse. He's a monster on top, with a heavy base, stifling control, stiff ground strikes and a diverse array of passes and submissions. Getting to the back is his specialty, though he's more of a steady process type of fighter than a transitional wizard.

Johnson was a Division II All-American at Minnesota State, and wrestling remains the vast majority of his in-cage game. The southpaw is enormous and routinely comes in at the 265-pound limit. His emphasis on the clinch puts his size to good use, and he utilizes a mixture of control against the fence and short punches and knees. The occasional takedown adds some variety, and he can do serious damage from the top.

A decent southpaw striking game gives Johnson some options on the feet as well, but he doesn't throw much volume.

Prediction
It's easy to see how Johnson could stuff Tybura's takedowns and grind him out in the clinch, and that may well happen here. Still, Tybura's relentlessness, cardio and functional striking skills should get the job done, while if the fight hits the mat, he can finish with a submission. Tybura finishes Johnson in the third round.

Heavyweights

Curtis Blaydes (5-0; 0-0 UFC) vs. Francis Ngannou (6-1; 1-0 UFC)

Promising heavyweight prospects meet in an excellent matchup. France's Ngannou debuted in the UFC with a knockout win over Luis Henrique in December, while the American Blaydes, an accomplished wrestler, will be making his first appearance in the promotion.

Ngannou is an outstanding athlete. He's 6'4", boasts a stunning 83" reach and combines his frame with surprising quickness and vicious power. Skill-wise, he's a striker by preference, and he has some technical skill. A crisp jab and slick punch-kick combinations are his bread and butter. Good instincts and timing on the counter make it dangerous to pressure.

That's essentially the extent of Ngannou's game at this point. He isn't a great wrestler, though he can stuff telegraphed shots, and while he has a basic idea of how to scramble back to his feet, he offers nothing from his back and can be controlled.

Blaydes was a national junior-college wrestling champion. He's more experienced than his 5-0 professional record suggests, as the 25-year-old also had 10 amateur fights before turning pro. At 6'4" and an in-shape 265 pounds, he has outstanding size for the division to go along with excellent speed and power.

That wrestling base is still the foundation of his game. He shoots an effortless double, finishes with authority and puts together technical chains. Suplexes and big slams add a powerful and crowd-pleasing dimension to a technically sound arsenal.

Blaydes' mat wrestling is also excellent. He excels at doing damage from the ride and is happy to let his opponent move under him, using all his 265 pounds to good effect. Traditional top control is less his forte, but he's fine there as well.
The former wrestler is still a work in progress on the feet, but he's promising there. A long jab and powerful right hand form the basis of his game, and he mixes in crushing low kicks. It's clear he's still a novice, however, through the rote combinations he throws and his limited skill depth.

Prediction
While Ngannou is a slight favorite, Blaydes should take this. Wrestling is the weakest part of Ngannou's game, and unless he has made serious improvements in the last four months, he'll spend the fight working from his back. Blaydes takes a decision.

Heavyweights

Derrick Lewis (14-4, 1 N/C; 5-2 UFC) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (17-10; 12-9 UFC)

Longtime UFC staple Gonzaga meets the rising Lewis in an excellent heavyweight matchup. The American Lewis has finished each of his 14 victories, most recently Damian Grabowski and Viktor Pesta. Gonzaga rebounded from a three-fight losing streak by taking a decision from Konstantin Erokhin in December.

In the thin heavyweight division, the winner will be no more than two more victories away from a title shot, though Gonzaga is essentially a gatekeeper at this point. At 31, Lewis is a spring chicken by the standards of his aging colleagues. If he wins, Lewis will have an inside track to a matchup with a top-10 opponent.
Gonzaga is limited but effective. His pared-down game has no nonsense and nothing flashy about it, especially on the feet. All of his strikes carry serious power, and he mixes hard low kicks with one or two forward-moving punches at a time. He can hit the occasional counter shot and moves reasonably well.

Defense is a real problem, however, and Gonzaga has a tendency to eat flush shots right on the chin. Cardio isn't his strong suit, either; he tends to finish early or be finished himself.

What the Brazilian doesn't do well is mix his skill sets. He rarely sets up his level changes or clinch entries with strikes, which leaves him shooting from too far away and open to counters as he comes in. Once he's in on the hips or locked up with his opponent, Gonzaga is a technical wrestler, but getting there is the problem. He has rarely been taken down, but that's more a function of his opponents rarely shooting than slick skills.

Grappling is Gonzaga's wheelhouse, especially on top. His base is heavy, and he passes smoothly, with a strong repertoire of ground strikes and a knack for getting to the back. Finding chokes in transition is another specialty.

Lewis' game revolves around his incredible physicality, but that doesn't mean he lacks technical craft, just that his skills are well-suited to maximize his ridiculous size, strength, power and speed.

The American rarely looks to spend much time at range, and he tends to work at a slow pace as he circles and looks to explode forward into one or two punches. While those shots carry real power, they serve mostly to disguise his level changes and especially his clinch entries.

Lewis excels in the tie-ups and has a surprisingly slick series of trips from over-under and the body lock. He controls nicely against the fence and has serious power in his short punches and knees.

From top position, Lewis is a monster. His ground strikes are some of the most powerful in the sport, and he can generate fight-ending power in tiny spaces. A heavy base gives him strong control, and while submissions aren't his best suit, it's nearly impossible to get back up once he gets on top.

On the downside, Lewis' takedown defense isn't great, and he particularly struggles with gauging the distance from which his opponents can shoot in on his hips. It has improved, but he still relies heavily on his ability to scramble when his opponent plants him on the mat. This leaves him vulnerable in transition. Additionally, Lewis isn't exactly hard to hit, and his tendency to fight in close quarters reinforces this.

Prediction
Both fighters' paths to victory are clear. Gonzaga can knock Lewis out on the feet, but would be better served to work takedowns and his imposing top game, where the American has few answers. Lewis can knock out Gonzaga in the clinch or, more likely, from top position; despite his extensive grappling credentials, Gonzaga isn't a serious threat from his back.

The latter scenario seems more likely. The American is bigger, stronger, younger and less shopworn, and Gonzaga isn't an ace wrestler. The difference here should be cardio: Despite his enormous size, Lewis is hard to wear down, while Gonzaga is not, to say the least. Lewis overcomes some early adversity and knocks out a tired Gonzaga late in the second round.

Heavyweights

Junior Dos Santos (17-4; 11-3 UFC) vs. Ben Rothwell (36-9; 6-3 UFC)

This is a matchup of two fighters at the crossroads of their careers. Former heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos is only 32, a spring chicken by the standards of the geriatric division, but he suffered a devastating knockout loss to Alistair Overeem last December and a pair of five-round beatings at the hands of Cain Velasquez before that. Physically, he just might not be the same fighter anymore.

Conversely, the 34-year-old Rothwell has reached an unlikely peak. He has won four in a row since a submission loss to Gabriel Gonzaga three years ago, finishing Brandon Vera, Alistair Overeem, Matt Mitrione and Josh Barnett inside the distance. The Wisconsinite has never looked better, and stands on the cusp of an unexpected title shot.

If Rothwell wins, it will be difficult to deny him his chance at the belt. For Dos Santos, a win here would erase the bad taste of that knockout loss to Overeem and reaffirm his position as a top heavyweight.

The Brazilian is fundamentally the same fighter he has been for years: an offensively focused striker who relies mostly on his hands. Crushing power and ridiculous hand speed are his calling cards, and for years they have been enough to keep him at the top of the division.

Dos Santos is fundamentally a straight-line fighter. His quickness allows him to get in and out behind a razor-sharp jab and vicious straight right he mixes up to the body and head, and when he finds a rhythm the former champion is devastating. His flurries against hurt opponents are legendary, and his killer instinct is off the charts.

He has a terrible habit of exiting on the same angle he entered on, however, and his speed isn't enough to stop opponents from catching him as he backs straight up. It might sound strange to say this about a former champion and a successful striker, but Dos Santos' footwork is fundamentally not very good.

That tendency to get in and out on straight lines is one piece of the problem, and he backs straight up against the cage when pressured. With his back to the fence, the former champion is terribly hittable.

When trying to pressure in his own right, it doesn't take genius-level movement to stay away from him.

To look his best, Dos Santos needs his opponent to agree to his kind of fight: a back-and-forth striking matchup in the center of the cage where his superior speed and power can be the telling factor, but without exposing his flawed footwork and understanding of the space of the cage.

Over the years, the Brazilian has added more tools to his game—round kicks, spinning kicks, elbows and trips in the clinch—without fixing the fundamental issues of footwork that ail him.

The rest of Dos Santos' game is perfectly competent. He has outstanding takedown defense both in open space and against the fence, though he's hittable in transitions, and can work the occasional trip or double-leg of his own for the sake of variety. Defensive grappling is a strong suit, and he puts in good work on top when the mood strikes.

Like Dos Santos, Rothwell is mostly a striker, though of a drastically different kind. The former kickboxer has developed an awkward and unique style that suits his enormous frame, absurd durability, big power and surprising craft nicely.
The Wisconsin native has unorthodox but effective footwork. He likes to move forward, alternating between orthodox, southpaw and an almost square stance to give himself options for short cage-cutting steps. His outstretched arms distract his opponent from the footwork and disguise the crushing low kicks he regularly throws. Those round kicks help to cut off the cage, and push kicks force the opponent backward.

As he pressures, Rothwell picks his spots to commit to combinations of three or four punches. He leads with both hands, and his strange hand-positioning makes it hard to see his shots coming. Countering and leading are both possibilities as well, and all of his shots carry enormous force.

Rothwell is perfectly happy to dive into the clinch. His strength and rangy frame make him a monster in close quarters, where he throws sharp knees and potent short punches. It was impossible even for elite clinch fighters like Overeem and Barnett to keep him in the clinch when he didn't want to be there, which speaks to his skill in that phase.

Takedown defense hasn't historically been Rothwell's strength. He's competent but not outstanding, and skilled wrestlers have had little trouble getting him to the mat. The Wisconsinite rarely hits takedowns of his own.

Transitional grappling is both Rothwell's strength and weakness. He sometimes gives up his neck as he tries to scramble, but conversely he has an outstanding choke game of his own in that same phase. Several opponents have succumbed to his guillotine in the recent past.

Prediction
This is essentially an even-money fight. Dos Santos is faster and more athletic, and if he can keep this in the center of the cage, it's probably his fight to lose. Rothwell is bigger, more durable and more diverse as a striker, with a sneaky and dangerous pressure game that will give the Brazilian fits if he pushes it toward the fence.
Both fighters will likely be content to keep this on the feet, so it becomes a battle of Rothwell's aggressiveness against Dos Santos' tendency to back straight up. If his back hits the cage, he's in serious trouble.

That particular battle favors Rothwell. He can do tremendous damage when his opponent backs up, alternating between the pocket and the clinch while relying on his durability to weather the storm.

On the other hand, Rothwell isn't a relentless pressure fighter. He's aggressive, yes, but isn't wholly focused on getting his opponent to the fence. He spends a lot of time standing in front of his opponent at range, and that's in Junior's wheelhouse.

If Junior's chin has cracked after the substantial amount of punishment he's taken in the last few years, it might only take one Rothwell flurry to put him down. The balance of the matchup, however, favors his skill sets. Dos Santos keeps Rothwell on the end of long, straight punches and overcomes a few scary moments to take a decision.

Tokens
UFC Fight Night 86 Preview + Predictions
from Real Men Report

Gonzaga vs. Lewis

As you might remember, Gonzaga was expected to face Ruslan Magomedov. However, Magomedov was forced out of the bout due to injury and replaced by Derrick Lewis. This matchup is quite interesting, for a number of reasons. First off, let’s talk about Gonzaga. Sadly, a big portion of MMA fans only know him from the insane head kick he delivered to Mirko Cro Cop. After that, he's gotten a bunch of victories and defeats. That's why a win over Derrick Lewis could really get his momentum going again.

Because, let me tell you something, Lewis is vicious! You don't earn the nickname “Black Beast” for being a good neighbor. He has won 14 times, all by finish. 13 knockouts and one submission. That's an excellent track record. He's coming off a first round TKO victory over Damian Grabowski and he'll be looking to crush Gongaza.

How do I see the fight playing out? This is your typical 'striking vs ground game' battle. As some of you might know, Gonzaga is a fourth degree Black Belt in BJJ under Wander Braga. To keep it short, it'll be an easy night for him if he manages to keep Lewis on the ground. On the other side, a good punch by the Beast will shut Gonzaga down. Simple as that. If I had to put my money on somebody, I'd go Lewis. I don't think Gonzaga will be able to take him to the ground, and the Black Beast will end up clipping him.

dos Santos vs. Rothwell

I'm so excited for this one. You can tell both guys desperately want the victory. Dos Santos wants to prove he's not done. To be honest, he hasn't looked the same since the wars he had with Cain Velasquez. They definitively took a piece of him. According to JDS, that is not the case. The only way to demonstrate it is to defeat one of the hottest heavyweight contenders in the world, Ben Rothwell. On the other side, Rothwell has been on fire! Earning victories over some of better known guys in the division.

At first glance, looking at their records, physiques and resumes, most people would immediately give the fight to Dos Santos. Most people would be wrong. Seriously, Rothwell is the real deal. He defeated Alistair Overeem (who recently TKO'd Junior), and his ground game has dramatically improved since his debut, to the point in which he was able to submit professional wrestler and BJJ black belt, Josh Barnett.

With that being said, I still believe 2013 Dos Santos is a better fighter. The question is: will he be able to go back to that level? I believe he could. Unfortunately, I don't see him stepping up against Rothwell. It'll be an excellent stand up show. And while Dos Santos' boxing is a lot cleaner, I think Big Ben will end up catching him and finishing him. With a decisive win, either guy could be next in line for a title shot. We'll have to wait and see.

Tokens
Preview And Predictions: UFC Fight Night Zagreb – Dos Santos vs. Rothwell
from Sean Sheehan - Severe MMA

After a three week break from UFC action, it’s back to business this week for the Las Vegas based fight firm as the Octagon heads to Europe once more. On this occasion, the Croatian capital of Zagreb will have its maiden UFC card as the Arena Zagreb hosts UFC Fight Night 86.

In the headlining bout of the night, veteran heavyweights meet for a chance climb the rankings as former UFC champion Junior Dos Santos takes on former IFL star Ben Rothwell over five rounds.

From Salvador, Brazil but now also training with ‘American Top Team’ in the US, Junior Dos Santos has been a top grade heavyweight since he quite literally burst onto the scene during his 2008 UFC debut with a first round knockout win over current UFC champion Fabricio Werdum.

That win was the start of an eight fight unbeaten streak – something which is basically unheard of amongst modern UFC heavyweights. In that period, Dos Santos took out the likes of Mirko Cro Cop and Shane Carwin before beating Cain Velasquez for the title, and defending it against Frank Mir.

In the rematch with Velasquez, though, Dos Santos lost his title and took a beating along the way, before a third fight between the pair saw JDS violently defeated again. Another five round war in his win over Stipe Miocic followed that before, last time out, the wear and tear appeared to show when he was knocked out by Alistair Overeem.

Although Ben Rothwell is around the same age as Junior Dos Santos, he has been around the game a lot longer.

A fifteen year MMA veteran, Rothwell had fought in KOTC, IFL and Affliction, amongst others, before finally getting the UFC call in 2009. When it came, he was thirty-seven fights deep as a professional with wins over names like Travis Fulton, Ricco Rodriguez and Roy Nelson.

Since then the Wisconsin native has amassed a 6-3 record with his most recent outings producing four wins on the bounce over messrs Vera, Overeem, Mitrione and Barnett, meaning “Big” Ben is within seconds of a UFC title tilt.

As a contest this one is very intriguing. Dos Santos is by far the better technical fighter but Rothwell, with thirty-four wins inside the distance, is an extremely dangerous finisher with his strikes and submissions.

Expect Dos Santos to come out light on his feet from the start as he uses his athleticism to dazzle his hefty opponent. As always, Rothwell will be happy to play the waiting game as he looks for a chance to pounce and land his big shot, like he did against Overeem, or jump on a submission, like he did against Mitrione and Barnett.

For Dos Santos the ability to use a detailed gameplan of movement and speed to avoid the dangerous hitman, while landing shots of his own, will be very import. Something which, in the past, he has been able to do against certain opponents but against high pressure fighters like Cain Velasquez, it can all quickly go out the window. And although Rothwell is no Cain Velasquez, he has shown an ability put on pressure in fights when needs be.

Another reoccurring theme in Rothwell’s recent winning streak is an ability to absorb powerful shots before replying with some of his own. The opposite is increasing the the case for Dos Santos. Against Miocic he didn’t look himself despite the win while the Overeem fight looked like he was playing the shadow of his former self.

For that reason you can expect this one to be relatively cagey early. For Dos Santos, there will be a obvious need to protect himself more than usual early but also a realisation that he likes to start fast and that Rothwell often takes a while to get going. Blending those two things will be key.

If his chin can hold up, and he can weather the storm, Rothwell will probably end up bringing the heat and winning but not many men on his earth hit as hard and accurately as Junior Dos Santos early doors.

Outside of that, this card really is lacking in high level quality but there are some interesting people on show.

Maybe most notable of all is French heavyweight Francis Ngannou. Standing 6’4″ inches tall and with a 6-1 record the 250 lbs behemoth might be just the man to breath some much needed life into an increasingly decrepit heavyweight division.

Although still very green as a professional, having made his debut in late 2013, Ngannou looks to have all the physical attributes to succeed and made a winning start to his UFC career with a three minute KO last time out. On Saturday he meets 5-0 debutante Curtis Blaydes in what could be, in hindsight, a breakout fight.

Also featured on Saturday night worth watching out for are UFC up-and-comers Maryna Moroz, Nicolas Dalby and Mairbek Taisumov while the co-main event sees veteran Gabriel Gonzaga take on the sometimes very terrifying Derrick Lewis.

FULL FIGHT PICKS

Ben Rothwell vs. Junior dos Santos – I fancy an early JDS KO

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Derrick Lewis – Lewis via mount and pound

Francis Ngannou vs. Curtis Blaydes – Hoping to see NGannou improvements & a big KO

Timothy Johnson vs. Marcin Tybura – Tybura

Igor Pokrajac vs. Jan Błachowicz – Błachowicz

Maryna Moroz vs. Cristina Stanciu – Moroz

Nicolas Dalby vs. Zak Cummings – Dalby

Mairbek Taisumov vs. Damir Hadzović – Taisumov

Ian Entwistle vs. Alejandro Pérez – Enty

Filip Pejić vs. Damian Stasiak – Pejić

Robert Whiteford vs. Lucas Martins – Martins

Jared Cannonier vs. Cyril Asker – Asker

Bojan Veličković vs. Alessio Di Chirico – Veličković

BET OF THE WEEK

Junior Dos Santos via first round KO at 9/2

Tokens
UFC Fight Night: Rothwell vs. Dos Santos - Idiot's Guide Preview to the Prelims
By David Castillo - Bloody Elbow

Welterweight Nicolas Dalby vs. Zak Cummings

Dalby is coming off a draw over the upstart Darren Till. He'll be taking on the TUF veteran, and college major in exercise and movement science, Zak Cummings. The fight is a stylistic clash in the modern sense. Dalby is a striker by trade, and a completely reasonable one. I think a lot of people thought Till would take over given his size and acumen, but Dalby's poise and comfort on the feet made the fight as competitive as it was close. As a striker, he relies on distance management. He likes to stay at midrange with his boxing, initiate a takedown if it's there, and chamber his right leg whenever he senses he's ceding that distance. He doesn't have big power, but his speed and ability to counter make him dangerous enough. All offense is depends on positioning just like a submission, and Dalby has great positioning even when he's not doing much except taking punches.

Cummings is pretty technical wherever the fight takes place. While he's best in close quarters, or in top control, he possesses a durability ala Matt Brown (not that they're anything alike stylistically) that makes him tough for any young or inexperienced fighter. He's like Fitch in terms of approach, but heavy on the attack. If he loses, it'll be because of not enough volume in my opinion.

Lightweight Mairbek Taisumov vs. Damir Hadzović

Here's the not grudge match you've all been waiting for. Taisumov goes ona 3 fight killing spree, and as his reward? Another victim. House of Pain jamming with Helmet style. Unless Taisumov gets attacked by grown ass tigers popping out from the octagon floor, Hadzovic is losing violenty.

He has brilliant knees that come of out nowhere, but otherwise he's a tempo fighter who can't control tempo. With a good jab, and abrupt versatility, he's best suited against fighters less dynamic and athletically gifted. Taisumov has a brutal straight right. Like a lot of fighters from his province, he succeeds with the token "straight right" because it's not so straight. He snaps his punches quick, but snaps them just awkwardly enough to create confusion for opponents. Think Mariano Rivera. Taisumov can have trouble generating offense when frustrated, but this is his fight to lose.

Bantamweight Ian Entwistle vs. Alejandro Pérez

Another zero sum bout. Entwistle at his point is a choir boy version of Toquinho.

Meanwhile, Perez is your garden variety TUF prospect: good in most areas, but not a spectacular athlete. To be fair, Perez has good but raw movement. He slides his head in and out for defense, but sometimes he's just moving for the sake of moving, and it doesn't provide much protection. Especially when he's backing straight up. He has a quick release on his strikes, but not being a big puncher means Entwistle has time to set up his high octane submission game. Ian is hardly a sure thing: he lost to Dan Hooker who is no contender, and he's prone to mistakes. But Perez would need to be harder to get on the ground and crisper volume in order to stand a chance I'm comfortable giving him.

Bantamweight Filip Pejić vs. Damian Stasiak

Pejic is a little wild on the feet, but it's almost calculated. He has crisp, straight punches that he likes to throw like darts from all angles. With equally violent kicks at range, he's a handful at any distance. On the ground, he's gettable, but he takes the same approach fighting off his back as he does on the feet; like a Croatian but poorer Donald Cerrone. He can be rendered inert when opponents pressure with takedowns because so much of his strikes rely on movement. Stifle his movement at range, and there's a lot less output.

Stasiak is a good opponent for Pejic, despite being the clear underdog. He's not a good striker with fundamentals, but he can throw good strikes at opportune times. He's especially strong at firing back. This doesn't mean he's a good counter striker; only that he doesn't let himself get blanketed by attacks. There's a subtle difference beyond my pay grade that I can't articulate well, but you get the idea; dude is territorial, will bite if you piss on his gate.

Having said that, I don't see him getting it to the ground with much success. If he does, Pejic has more options between scrambling, and threatening with submissions of his own.

Featherweight Robert Whiteford vs. Lucas Martins

Whiteford, last seen getting careened by Darren Elkins, is a decent fighter with dime a dozen ability. He has pretty good reactive strikes, and fights will in close quarters, but he'll have to contend with the thudding power of Lucas Martins. Martins is pretty efficient at using his power. His activity can be overwhelming to the point of being chaotic, but his ability to maim should be the difference in this fight even going into the third round.

Heavyweight Jared Cannonier vs. Cyril Asker

Cannonier is the rare breed of Heavyweight who has some actual technical acumen to his game. Well, heavyweights tend to be technical. They just tend to forego it in lieu of quick finishes. Cannonier is actually a good example of why that technique can be a waste of time: the bigger they are, the more effective the percussion is over precision. Shawn Jordan whooped up on him because Jordan has ridiculous, bowling ball man power. Asker should probably be fighting at middleweight. He works better in the clinch, and on the ground. He likes to engage in striking early on. He has pretty good upper body movement, actually. It compliments a quick piston like overhand right he likes to slip and rip with. Wait...I'm using Goldberg terminology? Kill me now.

This is the perfect fight for Cannonier who should be able to bully his way into positioning, and where his craft can be on display against a fighter who doesn't have the ability to overwhelm.

Welterweight Bojan Veličković vs. Alessio Di Chirico

The two fighters with the least amount of name recognition happens to one of the more interesting fights on the card. At least in stylistic terms. Velickovic looks the part of a high end prospect. He's young(ish), and fights that youthful, athletic game. But he seems to be a step behind mentally, not active enough when he needs to pick up the pace. As such, he typically settles in at range with a scintillating left kick from his southpaw stance that goes low and high. Di Chirico has some good up and down movement. With his hands wound up wide like a GI Joe toy suffering from eutrophication, he's always in position for a check, counter, and/or pressure left hook. Bojan is more well rounded, but he doesn't seem to use his arsenal enough to make him more threatening than he's capable of. I like Di Chirico in a modest upset to take over on the feet in a gritty three round bout.

Predictions

Cummings by Decision

Taisumov by TKO

Entwistle by Submission, round 2

Pejic by TKO, round 2

Martins by TKO, round 2

Cannonier by Decision

Di Chirico by Split Decision

Tokens
UFC Fight Night 86 Predictions
from TopBet

The fairy tale is over for Rothwell. Dos Santos decapitates Big Ben with a right uppercut. JDS by knockout in the third.

Lewis unleashes the Black Beast on Gonzaga for a second round TKO victory.

Blaydes unloads on a tiring Ngannou for a second round TKO.

Tybura gets the first round submission after hurting Johnson on the feet.

Blachowicz cruises to a unanimous decision victory.

This fight is a mystery. The two fighters are pretty much identical on paper, so the value lies in Stanciu as a underdog

Zak Cummings will be too strong to shake off. He uses his wrestling to take a unanimous decision against Nicolas Dalby.

Ian Entwistle has a knack for cinching in submissions. He forces Alejandro Perez to tap out in the first round.

Mairbek Taisumov could be in for a barnburner. He faces off against Bosnian slugger Dami Hadzovic in the Fox Sports 1 Prelims. Hadzovic gets the surprise victory in his Octagon debut.

Filip Pejic opens up the festivities on Fox Sports 1 in a bantamweight showdown against Damian Stasiak. The Polish grappler, Stasiak should have what it takes to spoil Pejic’s Octagon debut.

Rob Whiteford is steadily improving as a member of the American Top Team. The Scott will be right at home in Europe as he ekes out a tough decision against Brazilian Lucas Martins.

Jared Cannonier knocks out Cyril Asker in the first round of this heavyweight showdown.

Two debuting fighters start off Fight Night Zagreb when Alessia Di Chirico takes on Bojan Velickovic. Di Chirico likes to take his opponents down and grind out victories. But Velickovic is the more established grappler and should get the decision victory.

Tokens
UFC Croatia Tips
from Bookie Insiders

Welterweight Bout: Bojan Velickovic (13-3) vs Alessio di Chirico (9-0) – Velickovic comes out of the Elevation Fight Team, the home of the likes of Nel Magny and Daniel Hooker. He has powerful kicks at range, albeit he’s quite hittable. On the ground he has good submissions, but can be taken down and tired out as fights progress. He’s been fighting on the American RFA circuit, winning their welterweight title in his most recent bout. From the footage available Chirico has never fought in a cage before, and comes from a camp without any other notable fighters. Velickovic takes a decision.

Heavyweight Bout: Jared Cannonier (7-1) vs Cyril Asker (7-1) – Footage on Cannonier is incredibly limited, with the only real evidence his UFC debut, a first round KO loss to Shawn Jordan. He looked reasonably competent on the feet until getting caught, but his ground game and wrestling is largely unknown. He trains out of Gracie Barra Alaska, so one would assume he knows something about submissions. At only 5’11, he’s very undersized for the division. Asker seems to have decent cardio for a heavyweight, as well as a good chin. He’s a decent enough wrestler as a training partner for Cain Velasquez. I think he outlasts Cannonier to a second round ground and pound TKO victory.

Featherweight Bout: Rob Whiteford (12-3) vs Lucas Martins (15-4) – A real tough one to call. Both appear to be powerful strikers who fade as the fight progresses. Whiteford is a judoka, but the only person to consistently get takedowns against Martins has been uber prospect Mirsad Bektic. It’s a very close fight, but Martins is five years younger, punches straighter and has a reach advantage. He takes a close decision.

Bantamweight Bout: Filip Pejic (10-1) vs Damian Stasiak (8-3) – At 5’11 Pejic is big for the weight class, and has good power on the feet with six career victories by knockout. His kryptonite seems to be his defensive wrestling. Stasiak is quite adept at dragging fights to the mat and has good control and submissions from top position. I expect him to take a grappling-heavy decision.

Bantamweight bout: Ian Entwistle (9-2) vs Alejandro Perez (16-6) – This fight is very simple to break down. Entwistle will immediately try to get the fight to the mat and score a quick submission, and if he can’t do so he will give up and get finished himself shortly thereafter. Fortunately for him, Perez is a mediocre fighter with no great wrestling pedigree, so he’ll probably be alright. The pick is Entwistle by submission in the first round.

Lightweight bout: Mairbek Taisumov (24-5) vs Damir Hadzovic (10-2)– As far as UFC debuts go, Hadzovic couldn’t have asked for a much stiffer test. It’s a bit of a shame, as he’s a six foot tall lightweight with powerful striking and good defensive wrestling and stamina. However, Taisumov is rapidly improving, with his striking game a fantastic combination of distance management, composure and devastating power. The pick is Taisumov by second round knockout, albeit I expect Hadzovic to stick around.

Nicolas Dalby (14-0-1) vs Zak Cummings (18-4) – Dalby favours an in and out striking game based more on volume than power, with occasional takedowns thrown in for good measure. Cummings is a strong southpaw wrestler who is massive for the weight class, with a powerful left hand. He’s the archetypal six or seven out of ten at everything fighter with no real glaring weakness, albeit he slows down as the fight progresses. Dalby looked poor in his first two UFC bouts, albeit those were against much quicker strikers. I narrowly favour him to take a close decision.

Women’s Strawweight Bout: Maryna Moroz (6-1) vs Christina Stanciu (5-0)– Moroz is a reasonably competent pressure striker with a boxing background, however her main method of success has been pulling guard and looking for an armbar from the bottom.
Stanciu has the building blocks of a good fighter: decent distance management on the feet with genuine power, as well as a good submission game. However, her level of competition thus far has been appalling, so it’s quite hard to gauge her effectiveness against elite opposition. The pick has to be Moroz by submission in the second round.

Jan Blachowicz (18-5) vs Igor Pokrajac (28-12)- Igor is returning to the UFC after a five fight winless streak in his last run. He’s a brawler with a fading chin, and a clinch fighter who is prone to being taken down, so it’s not hard to see why he has struggled. Blachowicz is coming off two straight decision losses, the second of which saw him become inexplicably exhausted after about three minutes against Corey Anderson. Pokrajac isn’t UFC quality, and is only getting the chance because he’s Croatian. Jan is fairly well-rounded, has a good size advantage and (Anderson fight) apart generally has reasonable cardio. The pick is Blachowicz by decision.

Heavyweight Bout- Marcin Tybura (13-1) vs Timothy Johnson (9-2) – From the limited footage available, Tybura appears to be a functional striker who will look for takedowns against the cage. Johnson faced a similar style of fighter last time out in Jared Rosholt, and lost a close decision in a fight which he could well have won but for poor strategy. I’m unsure about this one, but Johnson has the striking edge and is good enough of a wrestler to hold his own in that department. He takes a decision.

Heavyweight Bout- Francis Ngannou (6-1) vs Curtis Blaydes (5-0)– Blaydes is making his UFC debut as a much hyped prospect who has trained with the likes of Fabricio Werdum and Stipe Miocic. He’s a physically dominating wrestler who has to cut weight to reach the 265 lb heavyweight limit. Ngannou is another promising young prospect, but he seems to struggle to defend takedowns, or indeed to disengage from the clinch. I see no reason why he’ll be able to prevent Blaydes from taking this fight to the mat, so the pick is Blaydes by second round TKO.

Gabriel Gonzaga (17-10) vs Derrick Lewis (14-4-1) – Gonzaga’s gameplan will probably be to get this fight to the mat, where he will use his BJJ credentials to try and secure a submission. However, these days his chin is absolutely gone, and he looks incredibly tentative and unwilling to engage on the feet. Lewis isn’t a great heavyweight, but he is big and hits incredibly hard, especially from top position on the ground. He also has surprisingly good stamina, having won fights from losing positions multiple times due to his opponents tiring. Skill-wise, Gonzaga is the better fighter but seems to have a foot out the door, so the pick has to be the surging Lewis by KO in the first round.

Rothwell (#4 HW, 36-9) VS Dos Santos (#5 HW, 17-4)

Background

The main event of UFC Zagreb features a potentially pivotal heavyweight contest between the surging Ben Rothwell and former champion Junior dos Santos. Having been dismissed as somewhat of a journeyman, Rothwell finds himself on the brink of title contention following an impressive four fight win streak over Brandon Vera, Alistair Overeem, Matt Mitrione and Josh Barnett, with all of these victories coming by way of stoppage. Conversely, JDS is coming off the poorest performance of his career, a second round TKO loss to Alistair Overeem In which he looked a shadow of the man who once reigned over the division.

Striking

I feel that the best way to describe Rothwell’s striking is awkward, but effective. He isn’t especially quick, even by heavyweight standards, nor is he known for being especially defensively sound. On the other hand, he hits hard and has excellent durability. He likes to stalk his opponent, constantly switching stances and angles while looking for the knockout blow.

At his peak, dos Santos was a phenomenal range boxer with great speed and stamina. However, following two emphatic five round beatings by Cain Velasquez he no longer appears to be the same fighter. In 2016, dos Santos appears to be significantly slower and more hittable, with the consequence that his combination punching game is more tentative.

Grappling

Rothwell is a very competent defensive wrestler, albeit I doubt he’ll have to display much of it in this fight (or indeed in the future, seeing as the last two people who tried to take him down ended up being tapped out immediately by his novel “gogo choke” submission). Offensively, he hasn’t scored a takedown in his last six outings, albeit he’s content to clinch with his foes against the cage in order to land strikes on the break.

Historically JDS has been a tough man to take down, and perhaps more importantly to prevent from getting back up. No one aside from Cain Velasquez has had any success grappling against dos Santos, including current number one contender Stipe Miocic who went one for eighteen on takedowns against him a little over a year ago. Offensively, dos Santos has been known to go for the occasional takedown to secure a round, albeit with the threat of Rothwell’s chokes to do so here would be folly.

Prediction

While JDS is almost certainly on the decline, I can’t shake the feeling that Rothwell’s recent resurgence was more a consequence of unlikely events rather than him becoming truly elite. I still believe that JDS is the better boxer, and almost certainly will still be quicker and have better cardio. I don’t think that either fighter will have success with grappling; Rothwell because he won’t be able to get JDS down, JDS because he’s not stupid enough to risk the gogo choke. I think the fight will start out tentatively, but in the end it’ll be JDS who gets into something of a rhythm as Rothwell starts to fade. The pick is JDS by third round TKO.

Tokens
UFC Fight Night 86 staff picks: 'Big Ben' gets nod over Dos Santos
By MMAjunkie Staff

Among our nine MMAjunkie writers, editors ad radio hosts, eight expect Rothwell (36-9 MMA, 6-3 UFC) to defeat Dos Santos (17-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC).

In other action, Derrick Lewis (14-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC) is a unanimous 9-0 choice over heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga (17-10 MMA, 12-9 UFC)

newcomer Curtis Blaydes (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is a 7-2 pick over heavyweight Francis Ngannou (6-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC)

newcomer Marcin Tybura (13-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is a narrow 5-4 choice over Timothy Johnson (9-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC)

Jan Blachowicz (18-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC) is the 8-1 choice over light heavyweight Igor Pokrajac (25-12 MMA, 4-7 UFC)

Maryna Moroz (6-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is an 8-1 pick over strawweight Cristina Stanciu (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC)

In the MMAjunkie reader consensus picks ..... Hunt (56%), Lombard (57%), Case (60%), Junior (61%), Te Huna (78%) and Rawlings (59%) have the edge.

Tokens
UFC Fight Night 86 Newcomer Breakdown: Marcin Tybura

Prior to each UFC card, Jay Primetown takes a close look at debuting fighters.

Marcin “Tybur” Tybura
Hometown: Uniejow, Poland
Height: 6’3”
Reach: N/A
Weight Class: Heavyweight
Camp: S4 Fight Club
Career Record: 13-1
Key Wins: Damian Grabowski
Key Losses: Stephan Puetz

Background
Considered one of the top heavyweights outside the UFC, the 30 year old Polish fighter was previously the M1 heavyweight champion holding solid regional wins as well as a win over UFC heavyweight over Damian Grabowski. Tybura holds a brown belt in BJJ.

Strengths

• Basic, yet effective striker
  • Excellent chin
  • Above average grappler
  • Effective body lock takedowns
  • At his best on the ground; either in top control or hunting for submissions

Weaknesses

• Striking technique needs improvement
  • Can be blitzed by aggressive strikers
  • Has periods of inactivity on the feet
  • Too reliant on great chin

Match-up against Timothy Johnson
Marcin Tybura was given no easy fight in his UFC debut. This is a match of two solid heavyweights with two of the better wrestling games in the division. Size could certainly play a factor in this bout as Johnson should outweigh his Polish counterpart by at least 15 pounds on fight day. Both fighters excel pushing their opponent against the cage working in the clinch and looking for takedowns. Tybura is more mobile and athletic, but Johnson moves well for someone his size. On the feet, Johnson lands harder and is the more likely to finish with a standing knockout. With that said, I think it’s more likely that this fight ends up in deep waters as both have good chins and have shown to be resilient over the course of their careers. In what I expect to be a competitive fight with both fighters struggling to secure takedowns, I give the edge to Johnson with more impactful striking on the feet and the more likely to be able to push his opponent against the cage. If Tybura does have some success with getting the fight to the ground, he has a significant advantage there and could get a submission finish. That being said, this is a fight to watch closely as we’ll learn a lot about both fighters in this match-up and their chances to succeed in the UFC.

UFC Ceiling

Marcin Tybura enters the UFC with quite a bit of hype. With his only loss coming off a doctor stoppage due to a cut, many feel he’s never been defeated. He’s got a good array of takedown techniques where he does very well to control fights and score potential submissions. He should see immediate success against smaller heavyweights that he can get to the ground as well those with below average takedown defense. I expect Tybura to not only stick around in the UFC, but once he gets some seasoning against better competition to crack the top fifteen of the division.

Tokens
UFC Fight Night: Rothwell vs. Dos Santos crystal ball predictions
By Damon Martin - Fox Sports

BEN ROTHWELL vs. JUNIOR DOS SANTOS

Both Rothwell and Dos Santos are known for having some of the most brutal power in the heavyweight division but it appears they are heading in different directions as they step into this fight. Rothwell is riding a wave of momentum including four wins in a row including a knockout over Alistair Overeem and a submission over Josh Barnett.
That kind of confidence is tough to trump and Rothwell is brimming right now as heads into this main event battle. On the other hand, Dos Santos has bounced back and forth between wins and losses over his last five fights with his last three bouts all adding to the punishment he's taken over the years.
There's no doubt Dos Santos is still lethal on the feet, but his once durable chin has been pinged quite a bit in his last three fights and it could make him gun shy to get into exchanges with someone as heavy handed as Rothwell. Dos Santos will definitely have a speed advantage, but Rothwell only needs to clip him with one glancing blow and this fight could be over.

Add to that, Rothwell has developed an incredible ground game lately and if Dos Santos makes the mistake of ducking his head and burying it into his opponent's chest, he could be the latest victim to the Wisconsin native's patented "gogo choke" submission.
PREDICTION: Ben Rothwell by TKO, Round 2

GABRIEL GONZAGA vs. DERRICK LEWIS

Gabriel Gonzaga remains one of the top veterans in the heavyweight division, but he's suffered through a lot of ups and downs in recent fights. His opponent, Derrick Lewis has faced adversity in his UFC career as well but when he's on his game, he's one of the most lethal fighters on the roster with a ground and pound attack that's virtually unmatched in the history of the sport.
Now Gonzaga certainly has the ground game to give Lewis nightmares, especially if he's the one landing a takedown and getting in top position. The flipside is equally dangerous, however, because Lewis punches so hard from the top that it often looks like his hand is going to go through his opponent, then through the cage and onto the floor.
Lewis obviously has to be wary of rolling around on the mat with Gonzaga for too long, but if he can uncork a few of his sledgehammer like shots, this fight won't make it past the first round.

PREDICTION: Derrick Lewis by TKO, Round 1

FRANCIS NGANNOU vs. CURTIS BLAYDES

Two equally huge heavyweight prospects will meet on Sunday with Francis Ngannou looking for his second UFC win as he takes on debuting fighter Curtis Blaydes. Ngannou is a massive, physical specimen with kickboxing roots and a ton of knockout power. He's great incredible flexibility for a heavyweight and he hits like a truck from all angles.
Blaydes is a very solid rookie with a 5-0 record, a college wrestling background and vicious power whenever the fight hits the mat. Considering Blaydes has a great takedown game matched with his power on the feet, he could use wrestling as the ultimate equalizer to ground Ngannou in this fight.
Make no mistake, Ngannou can absolutely finish this fight with a barrage of strikes, but if Blaydes can stay close and work a dirty boxing game along with his wrestling, he could open a few eyes with his debut performance on Sunday.
PREDICTION: Curtis Blaydes by TKO, Round 3

TIMOTHY JOHNSON vs. MARCIN TYBURA

Newcomer Marcin Tybura makes his UFC debut this weekend against the always tough and durable Timothy Johnson. Tybura is a solid prospect out of Europe with a decent striking game and a very solid ground attack with his submission arsenal. Tybura is a brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and he can be a force if he's on top of an opponent although his wrestling isn't world class by any means.
Johnson may not be the most skilled heavyweight, but he's tough as nails and packs a big punch. Johnson's ability to endure an early swarm from his opponent is one of his best attributes and he's nearly impossible to finish. Johnson won't blow anybody away with his technical striking, but he lands with force and that kind of power might make Tybura desperate for a takedown.
If Tybura tries for a sloppy shot to get Johnson to the ground, he could eat a ton of punches from the top before he really knows what hit him. Johnson can land fast with blistering power and that's enough to believe the American will leave with a victory.
PREDICTION: Timothy Johnson by TKO, Round 2

IGOR POKRAJAC vs. JAN BLACHOWICZ

Croatian fighter Igor Pokrajac makes his way back to the UFC this weekend after leaving the organization following several losses before a three fight win streak earned him a return to the Octagon. Pokrajac has always been a fun light heavyweight fighter to watch with solid striking and a better than average ground game, but he's going to have his hands full this weekend.
Blachowicz remains one of the better light heavyweight fighters out of Europe and while he's had a couple disappointing performances in a row, there's no shame in losing to Jimi Manuwa and Corey Anderson. Blachowicz still has top 15 talent and unless he's discouraged after those two previous losses, he should be able to have his way with Pokrajac on Sunday.
Look for Blachowicz to control the distance with his height and reach advantage and put a hurting on Pokrajac over three rounds.
PREDICTION: Jan Blachowicz by unanimous decision

MARYNA MOROZ vs. CRISTINA STANCIU
Cristina Stanciu is yet another newcomer debuting this weekend as she takes on submission specialist Maryna Moroz in a strawweight bout on the main card. Stanciu is a very aggressive fighter with good pop behind her punches although she can get a little wild with her striking from time to time.

That tendency to step forward into her punches could give Moroz the opening she needs to drag this fight to the ground where she can look for another armbar submission. Moroz doesn't hit as hard as Stanciu so she has to be careful getting into exchanges, but even if she's forced to pull guard, that's still a great way for her to lock up the submission victory.
PREDICTION: Maryna Moroz by submission, Round 2

NICOLAS DALBY vs. ZAK CUMMINGS
Nicolas Dalby will look to keep his undefeated record in tact as he faces Zak Cummings this weekend in Croatia. Dalby is a well-rounded fighter who does a good job splitting his time between a very active striking game while also averaging four takedowns per 15 minutes in the cage. He might have a tougher time employing a wrestling game against Cummings, who also showcases great grappling and a ton of power in his fists.

Cummings is definitely one of the more underrated fighters at welterweight, but he's more than capable of giving Dalby problems on the feet or on the mat. Dalby has a tendency to pull out close decisions in the UFC and that's going to be a tough job to do against Cummings, who can finish this fight on the feet, on the ground or simply beat up the Danish fighter over three rounds.PREDICTION: Zak Cummings by unanimous decision

Tokens
UFC Fight Night 86 Preliminary Predictions
from Kamikaze Overdrive

Dalby vs Cummings

In the main event of the preliminary card, Denmark’s Nicolas ‘Sharpshooter’ Dalby battles TUF alumni Zak Cummings. Dalby is coming off a hard-fought draw with Darren Till to follow his successful UFC debut. Cummings improved his Octagon run to a solid 3-1 with a win over Dominique Steele last July.

The American is an inch taller and will have a similar reach advantage. He is stepping in as a late-notice replacement with roughly 1-month to prepare.
Cummings’s main form of attack centers around his wrestling. The Strikeforce vet was an NJCAA wrestler. Over his combined UFC/Strikeforce run he has averaged a pedestrian 2 takedowns per fight at a 50% completion rate. His high watermark is 3 completions against Yan Cabral, but he is a far better ground fighter than those numbers suggest. He is a BJJ Brown belt, with 9 of his 18 wins coming by submission, including tapping Benny Alloway via D’Arce choke in his Octagon debut. He has a nice variety of choke based submission on his record and he does his best work from top position. Zak is coming off an abrupt 43-second knockout victory against Steele where he hurt him with a hard left hand. His striking his decent and primarily takes place in the pocket.

Cummings has fought as heavy as Light Heavyweight and has had some issue with weight cutting. He missed the welterweight limit by 8 pounds for a 2013 bout, resulting in his opponent withdrawing from the contest.

The Danish fighter pairs together a karate-based striking style with a decent wrestling game. Dalby is a BJJ Purple belt with a trio of submission wins. He offers nice kick arsenal, highlighted by a series of sound front leg kicking techniques. He is a capable striker, but is also quite hittable. In his debut he landed 6 of 10 takedown attempts, but lost in the striking totals by a count of 57-41, resulting in a close split decision win. Against Till, he struggled to find his groove early getting out-landed 40-23 over the first 2 rounds, including suffering a knockdown. The Dane did open up in the final frame and nearly finished his adversary with a herculean onslaught.
Dalby has just 3 first-round finishes on his record compared to a perfect 7-0 mark on the scorecards.

Dalby is the more refined striker, but Cummings’s close range striking attack and activity level can create a lot of issues for him. Especially considering Nik’s willingness to stand in front of his opponent. Dalby does not have the power to gain Zak’s respect and back him up. Against Till, ‘Sharpshooter’ struggled with the size of the Brit and wasn’t able to utilize his wrestling to its full effect. That scenario should hold true here as well, as Texan is big for the weight class and has a very strong wrestling/grappling pedigree. Cummings might not have as much flash, but he will find success as the more active fighter and when coupled with a few key takedowns and top control that will weigh heavy with the judges- my prediction is Cummings by decision

Taisumov vs Hadzovic

In the Lightweight division, Mairbek ‘Beckan’ Taisumov meets UFC neophyte Damir ‘The Bosnian Bomber’ Hadzovic. Taisumov has won 3 consecutive bouts, all via knockout- he is 4-1 inside the Octagon. Hadzovic is currently riding a 6-fight winning streak that included a stoppage victory over former UFC competitor John Maguire.

Hadzovic is the taller man by 2 inches. Taisumov is 2 years younger, but has 17 more pro appearances.

The Russian-born Austrian has an impressive finishing rate. Including his 3 UFC stoppages, he has ended 23 of his 24 wins inside the distance. His only decision win came in his UFC debut. Taisumov has finished 13 by knockout and 10 by submission. He has stopped 14 foes in the first round and his submission of choice appears to be the rear-naked choke which has accounted for 5 of his last 7 subs. Taisumov hits hard and has pretty diverse striking attack, mixing up his hand and leg strikes effectively. He has completed 2.43 takedowns at a 77% completion rate.

In his only promotional loss, he struggled with the grappling attack of Michel Prazeres giving up 3 takedowns and spending prolonged amounts of time on his back. He does have 1 submission loss coming very early in his pro career.

Hadzovic is a kickboxer by trade, training alongside fellow undercarder Nicolas Dalby. He has 5 wins by knockout and 3 more by submission. ‘The Bosnian Bomber’ badly hurt his last opponent with a quick combination in close that sent him tumbling to the mat for some follow-up GNP. The damage proved to be too much for the fight to continue and it was stopped between rounds. His clinch game is decent and he does some of his best work at range. Damir tends to be a bit of a slow starter, but opens up his repertoire as the fight progresses. A consistent offensive output also seems to be a an issue as he will transition between periods of inactivity and then heavy handed barrages.

Hadzovic picked up a couple of submissions early in his career and notched another in 2013, but against top level competition he will be forced to rely almost exclusively on his striking.

Hadzovic has been dealt a pretty tough hand for his first UFC showing. Taisumov has a number sizeable advantages. If he elects to use his wrestling he should be able to take Hadzovic down and keep him there. His power and more aggressive striking attack will play well against the inconsistency of his opponent. Look for ‘Beckan’ to land hard leg kicks, possibly mix in his wrestling, and eventually overwhelm Hadzovic as the damage begins to accumulate- my prediction is Taisumov by TKO

Entwistle vs Perez

In the Bantamweight division, Ian ‘Enty’ Entwistle collides with TUF Latin America winner Alejandro ‘El Diablito’ Perez. Entwistle is an even 1-1 in the UFC, most recently submitting Anthony Birchak at the end of 2014. Perez improved to 2-1 with an injury related TKO victory over former WEC title challenger Scott Jorgensen.
Entwistle is making his second UFC appearance at Bantamweight after making the cut in his last fight. He has been out of action for 16-months. Perez is the shorter man by a 2 inches, but will have a 3″ reach advantage.

The UK born fighter has an affinity for submissions, more specifically leg based submissions. Of his 9 pro wins, 8 have come by some form of tap out- 3 of his last 4 by heel hook. Entwistle’s UFC career has embodied his focus on leg based submissions- both on the positive and negative side. In his debut, he over-committed to an attempt and eventually was stopped via strikes. Against Birchak, he attempted a heel hook, lost it, got it back, and kept rolling until Birchank had to tap. His striking is primarily focussed on closing the distance and creating a clinch situation. Look for him to strike and lunge forward to tie up.

Entwistle will pull guard and likes to use butterfly hooks to elevate his opponent and create the space required to attack his adversary’s leg.

Perez has finished 7 by knockout, 5 more by submission, and is 4-2 on the scorecards. During his TUF tournament run, he took a decision win in the quarter-finals and a first round knockout in the semis. ‘El Diablito’ has a solid overhand right, and will throw hard leg kicks attacking both the inside and outside of his opponent’s legs. His grappling game is a point of contention as he was taken down 3 times on just 4 attempts and spent a lot of time on his back against Jose Quinonez. Jorgensen also scored a pair of takedowns in the opening round.

Perez has been subbed 3 times in his career, including his UFC sophomore loss to Patrick Williams.

Entwistle is most likely going to open this fight by attempting to set up a heel hook. Can Perez stop him? His defensive wrestling has been questionable at best in his UFC run and he has a history of submission losses. A heel hook is an unorthodox hold and can be difficult to defend against. It can also leave the fighter attempting the hold vulnerable. Perez relies a lot on his kicks which will create opportunities for Entwistle to take the fight to the floor. If a takedown doesn’t materialize, look for the Brit to pull guard and immediately start looking for his signature submission. Perez has had issues on the mat with far less aggressive ground fighters- my prediction is Entwistle by Submission

Pejic vs Stasiak

In the Bantamweight division, UFC newcomer Filip ‘Nitro’ Pejic of Croatian takes on promotional sophomore Damian ‘Webster’ Stasiak. Stasiak dropped his UFC debut to Yaotzin Meza, ending his 5-fight winning streak. Pejic has gone undefeated over his last 9 contests, including avenging the only loss of his pro career.
Pejic is the taller man by 2 inches and will have a 3″ reach advantage. Stasiak is returning to action after a full year on the shelf.

The Croatian is riding a pretty strong winning streak and has finished his opponent in 9 of his 10 victories- 6 by knockout and 3 by submission. Along with his high finishing rate, Pejic has 8 opening round stoppages compared to a 2-1-1 record beyond the first frame. He employs a decent close range boxing attack, with sharp crisp punches. Conversely, when faced with distance Pejic is much looser with his technique and trends a little towards the wild side. He also lacks in the volume department when working from the outside. Filip’s clinch game is fairly pedestrian and his wrestling isn’t anything too spectacular either.

‘Nitro’ has competed at both Lightweight and Featherweight, but is moving down to Bantamweight for what appears to be the first time.

A Black belt in Karate and BJJ Brown belt, Stasiak lost a back and forth battle in his debut. He was unable to stop either of his opponent’s TDAs and routinely got out-scrambled once on the floor. The loss dropped him to 2-3 on the scorecards. He has never been finished, with a single win by knockout and 5 victories by submission. Of his 5 tap outs, 4 came by rear-naked choke. ‘Webster’ has a decent kicking repertoire built around his Karate background. He doesn’t do a great job of working his strikes together, opting to throw them individually. He will also sit back and counter strike against a more aggressive foe.

In his loss to Meza, he struggled to consistently deploy his striking attack ending the fight on the wrong end of a 70-16 lobsided total.

Stasiak appears to the have the slightly better wrestling and the more capable striking attack. He also has his UFC debut under his belt, but the layoff could put him right back to square one. For Pejic, he is making his debut and while he is fighting at home that can come with some unneeded extra pressure. The weight cut could also play a significant role. At distance, look for the kicking attack of Stasiak to set the pace and in close the Polish fighter should be able to counter the phonebooth striking of his foe with clinch and takedown attempts. This fight could be close which can favour the local fighter with the judges, but Stasiak will do more based on his more refind striking skills- my prediction is Stasiak by Decision

Whiteford vs Martins

Capping off the Fight Pass portion of the undercard, Scotland’s Robert ‘The Hammer’ Whiteford battles Lucas ‘Mineiro’ Martins of Brazil in the Featherweight division. Whiteford is 2-2 inside the Octagon with a pair of wins over Daniel Pineda and Paul Redmond, but he is coming off of a loss to Darren Elkins. Martins will be making his seventh UFC appearence, he has lost back to back fights to the aforementioned Elkins and Mirsad Bektic after starting his his Octagon career 3-1.
Martins is 3 inches taller and will have a similar reach advantage. He is also 5-years younger. He has fought in the UFC in 3 different divisions, including Bantamweight and Lightweight- but 145 pounds appears to be where he is best suited.

‘The Hammer’ has a Black belt in Judo and has averaged 2.53 takedowns per fight at a 31% completion rate. The majority of his takedown success came against Pineda where he completed 5 of 14 attempts compared to just 1 of 5 in his other 3 bouts. Whiteford was soundly out-grappled by Elkins, spending the majority of the fight either working off his back or getting the worst of the scrambles. He has recorded 6 wins by knockout, including his victory over Redmond. The only submission victory on his record came via punches.

The Scot’s striking is serviceable, but simple relying on short straight forward combinations. He can counter strike and dropped Redmond with a hard left hook.
The Brazilian comes from the famed Chute Boxe Academy. He is an aggressive Muay Thai based striker, earning 10 wins by knockout- 4 inside the opening round. Both of his UFC knockouts transpired in round 3. Martins is coming off a TKO loss against Bektic and dropped his debut via submission due to strikes to Edson Barboza. A BJJ Purple belt, he has a quartet of submission wins including a 70-second RNC victory to earn his second UFC victory. The fight hit the mat as the result of knockdown. ‘Mineiro’ has only attempted one takedown over his last 6 UFC fights which was unsuccessful.

Lucas averages 3.15 SLpM, landing a UFC career-high 53 against Alex White. Conversely, he gives up 4.5 SApM and has been out-landed in 4 of his 6 Octagon bouts.

If this fight is contested in the clinch and/or on the mat that will favour Whiteford. If Martins can maintain enough separation to let his hands go, that scenario is best for him. While Martins was taken down 3 times by Bektic, he faired much better against Elkins- stuffing 13 of his 14 TDAs. He struggled to create the needed separation from Elkins and his offensive output struggled as a result. Whiteford can grapple, but he doesn’t possess the consistent grinding attack of Elkins or the powerful wrestling of Bektic. Martins should be able to maintain the required distance and draw Whiteford into a striking based-fight similar to the Redmond contest. While Whiteford is decent on the feet, Martins has the superior power and striking acumen to go along with a reach and height advantage, so my prediction is Martins by TKO

Cannonier vs Asker

In the first of 5 Heavyweight bouts on the card, Jared ‘The Killa Gorilla’ Cannonier makes UFC appearance #2 when he meets the debuting Cyril ‘Silverback’ Asker of France. Cannonier made his promotional debut in early 2015 and lost by first-round knockout to Shawn Jordan. Asker has won 5 consecutive bouts, including a 3-0 run in South Africa where he defeated Octagon washout, Ruan Potts.

Asker is 3″ taller than his opponent, but will give up 3 inches of reach. The Frenchman is also a year younger and will have a 5-10 pound weight advantage. The American has been out of action for roughly 15 months.

Cannonier entered the UFC with 6 of 7 wins coming inside the distance, split evenly between knockouts and submissions. He finished all but one of those wins in the opening round. ‘The Killa Gorilla’ was unable to replicate his finishing ways in his final pre-UFC bout against career journeyman Tony Lopez, winning a 5-round split decision. The Alaskan-born big man moves well, slings hard leather, and has a good boxing game to deploy his power with. On the mat, he has a decent grappling game and will use his strength and aggression to put his opponent there.

In his debut, Cannonier landed just 10 of 20 strikes- 5 of which were leg strikes.

Asker’s level of regional competition has been respectable, with his last 4 opponents holding a combined record of 34-14. He has finished a trio of adversaries by knockout, including a TKO victory over Potts due to retirement at the end of round 1. He is coming off a submission win to capture the EFCA Heavyweight strap- the second sub of his career. ‘The Silverback’ is a BJJ Purple belt. There isn’t a tonne of high-quality footage of the newcomer to build on. In his EFCA debut, he centered his attack around wrestling. Cyril spent a lot of the fight moving between top position and back mount after powering his opponent to the mat. As other reports have suggested, his wrestling success is more a product of his oppositions’ lack of skill than his capability.

Asker has finished 5 opponents inside the opening round, but he does have a pair of decision wins on his record along with a 3rd round submission loss.

Cannonier has been out of action for quite a while and Asker is making his debut and taking a sizeable step up in competition. Additionally, both fighters have single digit pro-MMA experience. All of these factors add a level of unknown when analysing this matchup and how each man will perform. Cannonier was starting to showcase his striking capabilities before Jordan caught him and knocked him out. His movement and power, along with a decent boxing game will give Asker a lot of trouble during the exchanges. If Asker attempts to change levels for a takedown, Cannonier’s counter grappling should prove better than anything Asker has dealt with on the regional scene. Asker got tagged with a couple of big shots in his EFCA debut and appeared to momentarily freeze up as a result. Cannonier has the power to replicate that scenario and worse- my prediction is Cannonier by Knockout

Di Chirico vs Velickovic

To open the show, a pair of Octagon neophytes are paired together as Italy’s Alessio Di Chirico takes on Bojan ‘Serbian Steel’ Velickovic. Di Chirico has yet to taste defeat in his young career which includes a perfect 3-0 run through 2015. Velickovic has snapped off 4 consecutive wins, with his only 2 defeats over his last 9 fights coming against former UFC competitor Gilbert Smith and current Octagon resident Krzysztof Jotko.

At 6’2″, ‘Serbian Steel’ is the taller man by 2 inches, but his Italian counterpart has a slight 1″ reach advantage. Velickovic last fought 15-months ago and normally competes at 170 pounds.

Velickovic has a finisher’s record, allowing just 2 of of his 13 wins to reach the scorecards. Submissions have accounted for 8 of those wins; 3 by guillotine. He is 2-3 on the scorecards, while having finished 6 opponents in the opening round. Despite his submission-heavy win totals, he comes from a Muay Thai background where he holds a solid record of 14-2. He also recently captured the RFA Welterweight title. Look for him to utilize his jab to keep his opponent from closing the distance, while throwing hard leg kicks at range. From the clinch, Bojan will up the tempo and unload with short punches and knees. The power-double is his takedown technqiue of choice and he has a pretty decent top game once on the ground.

Bojan currently trains out of the Elevation Fight Team alongside several high-profile fighters including TJ Dillashaw and Matt Brown.

Fighting out of the growing, but still small Italian fighting scene, Alessio has stopped 8 of his 9 foes. After starting his pro career with 5 consecutive opening round wins, he took a step up in competition and has fought in 10 of a possible 12 rounds over his last 4 bouts. He is coming off the first decision win of his career. Di Chirico doesn’t have an overwhelming striking game, tossing out wide-ranging hooks accompanied by a serviceable kicking game. A lot of his striking is one and done or followed by a quick attempt to get in on a single leg. Similar to a lot of European fighters, his wrestling success is probably more of a product of his opponents’ defense than his own skills.

Of his 4 submission wins, 3 have come via rear-naked choke.

This is a difficult fight to assess, as most fights between debuting fighters coming off the regional scene usually is. Di Chirico appears to be the better athlete and is more accustom to competing at 185 pounds. Velickovic is the more refined fighter, comes from a far better camp, and has been facing better competition since moving stateside. Additionally, with Bojan not cutting down to 170 pounds, that could put some added bounce in his step. The combination of Velickovic’s Muay Thai background and MMA submission success gives him a multi-faceted attack. When combined with the other aforementioned positives, that makes for a pretty decent case in favour of the Serbian. Alessio will struggle to utilize his wrestling against a more skilled opponent taking away one of the key aspects of his attack and making him a one-dimensional fighter. Velickovic will be the more active fighter on the feet and get the better of the ground exchanges- my prediction is Velickovic by Submission

Tokens
Main Card Parlay for UFC Fight Night 86
from MMA Odds Breaker

Heavyweight bout: Curtis Blaydes (-145) vs Francis Ngannou (+125)

Gabe’s Thoughts:
I believe Blaydes is going to try to avoid Ngannou’s insanely dangerous power and attempt to take this fight to the mat, where he should enjoy a massive advantage, being a National Junior College Champion wrestler. I see Blaydes having a very clear route to victory in this heavyweight match-up, but I don’t think he will find success with his gameplan. I have a feeling Ngannou connects and ends the fight early, before Blaydes even has the opportunity to attempt a single takedown. Though, should Blaydes be able to secure a takedown in the first round and keep the Frenchman on his back for the remainder of the stanza, it will practically be a do-over when the bell rings for the second round, as was the case with Ngannou in his promotional debut, where he was outwrestled in the first round and knocked his opponent out cold at the start of the second. To conclude, over the course of 15-minutes of scheduled action, I favor Ngannou to land a fight-ending strike. That said, should this fight reach the judges’ scorecards for a decision, it would most likely be Blaydes taking the nod, but I think Ngannou would stand a decent chance at winning a decision, as well, if Blaydes’ chin somehow manages to hold up.

Gabe’s Call:
Ngannou by T/KO (punch, 0:18 round 1)

Light Heavyweight bout: Igor Pokrajak (+310) vs Jan Blachowicz (-370)

Gabe’s Thoughts:
I think this is the biggest mismatch on this fight card and the betting lines indicate it. I see value in Blachowicz at his currently juiced offering price of -370, as I think he should be a -500 betting favorite heading into this 205-pound contest. The Pole has his back against the wall, coming off back to back unanimous decision losses to Jimi Manuwa and Corey Anderson, respectively. This is do-or-die time for him and I think he will walk right through Pokrajac, who is returning for his second stint with the promotion.

Gabe’s Call:
Blachowicz by T/KO (strikes, 3:48 round 1)

Gabe’s Recommended Parlay: Ngannou (+125) and Blachowicz (-370) at +185 for 1.75u to win 3.25u

Tokens
Weigh-in results ...

Main Card (FS1, 2 PM ET/11 AM PT)

Junior dos Santos (241) vs. Ben Rothwell (264)
Derrick Lewis (264) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (262)
Curtis Blaydes (261) vs. Francis Ngannou (252)
Timothy Johnson (262) vs. Marcin Tybura (247)
Jan Blachowicz (205) vs. Igor Pokrajac (205)
Maryna Moroz (115) vs. Cristina Stanciu (116)

Preliminary Card (FS1, 12 PM ET/9 AM PT)

Zak Cummings (170) vs. Nicolas Dalby (171)
Damir Hadzovic (155) vs. Mairbek Taisumov (154)
Ian Entwistle (135) vs. Alejandro Perez (135)
Filip Pejic (136) vs. Damian Stasiak (134)

Preliminary Card (Fight Pass, 10:30 AM ET/7:30 AM PT)

Lucas Martins (145) vs. Robert Whiteford (145)
Cyril Asker (241) vs. Jared Cannonier (241)
Alessio Di Chirico (185) vs. Bojan Velickovic (183)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boynerclinic
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com