NFL Fantasy News 2012

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Randy Moss unlikely to help owners

By Christopher Harris | ESPN.com

Seven and a half months ago, the call came. Chad Ochocinco was going to the New England Patriots. This completely upset the fantasy football apple cart! The Pats' offense would reignite "The Ocho!"
I strongly disagreed, and I'm almost as skeptical about Randy Moss with the San Francisco 49ers.

The 35-year-old Moss signed a one-year deal Monday, something that will no doubt excite Niners fans who believe their team was one deep-threat receiver away from a Super Bowl title last season. Now, I have to admit, I already didn't -- and don't -- think the 49ers are a championship-caliber team. This will earn me hate mail from the Bay Area, but I think the team takes a step back next season, as their schedule gets more difficult and they sneak up on nobody. Their defensive secondary (the corners, mostly) scare me, and I don't think you win championships these days with an offense that's designed to hang on for dear life.
And that's where Alex Smith comes in. Assuming he winds up re-signing with the 49ers and continues as their starting quarterback, he's my primary reason not to be overly excited either about the team's on-field fortunes in '12 or Moss' fantasy possibilities.
It's probably an oversimplification to say that Smith doesn't have an elite throwing arm, and Moss needs someone with an elite throwing arm to get him the ball down the field or else he's useless. Smith doesn't have a tiny arm, either. I simply don't believe that Jim Harbaugh has the sustained will to take the reins off Smith; even if he does, I don't believe Smith has the pocket awareness and throwing confidence to take advantage. When the rubber met the road in the NFC title game this past season, Smith looked shaken by the New York Giants' pass rush, running away from phantom would-be sackers and blowing most throws down the field. According to Stats LLC, for the regular season, Smith went 13-for-39 on throws that traveled 20-plus yards in the air. For comparison's sake, Eli Manning went 35-for-96. Rookie Cam Newton went 30-for-84. I guess you can argue that the reason Smith didn't try going downfield was a lack of speed at wideout. Maybe. But I've yet to be convinced Smith has the overall tools necessary to make difficult deep throws.
And all this is to say nothing about Moss himself. When last we saw him, he was bouncing himself off two separate rosters (those of the Patriots and Minnesota Vikings) in '10 with his bad behavior. Yes, he's capable of acting like a good teammate when everything's going swell. But what happens when the passes don't come his way, when he's mostly a deep-threat decoy? What happens when Smith's throws don't hit him in stride, and he can't (or refuses to) adjust his route, resulting in interceptions? What happens if the Niners start slow and people begin questioning whether Moss really was the answer at receiver? My guess is nothing good happens.
If the 49ers view Moss as their only solution for what ails them out wide, I think they're kidding themselves. If they wind up adding another, younger, more versatile receiver (you know, one who actually runs crossing patterns) to play alongside Moss and Michael Crabtree, that makes more sense to me. But either way, I don't see a return to big-time fantasy glory for Randy Moss. I don't have him anywhere near my top 100 overall fantasy players for '12, and I'm skeptical that as things stand at the moment, I'll have him inside my top 50 wideouts. In my opinion, he'll be late-round flier material.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Rating the receivers

Big name free agent wide receivers usually aren’t worth the money.

Production often drops while the price tag rises. As NFL teams struggle to project how a receiver will fit in their system (Chad Ochocinco, anyone?), fantasy values sink.

That hasn’t stopped receivers from grabbing the headlines in the first 24 hours of free agency. Seemingly mediocre starters from Josh Morgan to Robert Meachem have contracts while scrubs like Peyton Manning and Rising

Robert Meachem, Chargers WR

Meachem just landed in vertical receiver heaven.

There aren’t many situations better than New Orleans for a wide receiver, but Meachem found one. He’s going from one terrific deep thrower (Drew Brees) to an even better one in San Diego (Philip Rivers.)

I’m still not sold on Meachem as a difference-making receiver, but this is undoubtedly a better fantasy situation for him. He’ll be the primary deep threat and stay on the field every down for a team that loves to go deep.

There are far fewer weapons in San Diego than New Orleans. Antonio Gates is slowing down and Malcom Floyd can’t stay healthy. Meachem’s targets and production should go up.

Silva is convinced that Meachem’s skill set was underutilized in New Orleans and that he’s ready to explode. My instincts say that Brees and Sean Payton maximize production pretty well and Meachem is missing something if they couldn’t use him more.

Still, this is an unreal scheme fit and opportunity for Meachem. I can imagine Meachem getting too much fantasy hype and getting drafted in the top 15-20 receivers, which would be too high for me.

Meachem’s production will climb, but I see him more as a late WR2 or early WR3 with risk than a guy you’d trust to start every week.

Reggie Wayne, Colts WR

I expect Wayne to continue his decline in 2012. But he’s listed as “rising” here because his best chance to slow down that decline is with the Colts. Changing teams at this stage of his career might have turned him into the Jaguars edition of Going sideways

Josh Morgan, Redskins WR

He was a role player in San Francisco and he’ll be a role player in Washington. The ceiling is a little higher in D.C. but not by enough to make him anything more than a late-round option.

Randy Moss, 49ers WR

He wasn’t worth anything in fantasy leagues last week, but he’s unlikely to be worth anything in 2012. Alex Smith and the 49ers offense is a bad fit for Moss. I’m not convinced he’ll even make the team.

Falling

Vincent Jackson, Bucs WR

Is Josh Freeman the rising young star from 2010 or is the guy that looked totally lost reading coverage in 2011?

That answer will help determine Jackson’s value in Tampa over the next few years. Greg Schiano is a coach that figures to play things close to the vest, so the system is going to be a downgrade for Jackson. The quarterback is a downgrade.

There won’t be great competition for targets in Tampa, but Mike Williams and Kellen Winslow could steal red zone looks.

The Bucs will want to feed Jackson the ball to justify his massive contract. He’s not going to fall off the fantasy map, but he’s not a great bet to remain a top-ten caliber receiver.

Pierre Garcon, Redskins WR

I’m not buying it. Garcon is undisciplined in his routes and drops way too many passes. He will be playing with a rookie quarterback in 2012, albeit a very talented rookie receiver in Robert Griffin III. The Redskins paid him way too much money for a secondary talent. Garcon is likely to disappoint them and fantasy owners.

Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney, Redskins WRs: I don’t know where these two will play next year. It’s unlikely to be with the Redskins. No matter where it is, they are unlikely to repeat their 2011 numbers.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Hillis signing good for K.C., not fantasy

The Kansas City Chiefs made a big move toward solidifying their backfield Wednesday, and they did it at relatively low risk. They signed Peyton Hillis to a one-year, $3 million contract. From a football perspective, I could scarcely love the move more. From a fantasy perspective, boy, it's complicated.
There's no question Hillis has the raw chops to be an every-down back. He did it for the Cleveland Browns two years ago, emerging from relative obscurity -- he was traded to the Browns for Brady Quinn -- to produce a 1,654-total-yard, 13-total-TD season. He subsequently appeared on the cover of Madden. For some, he was a borderline first-round draft pick in 2011 fantasy leagues. But he flamed out this past season, missing time due to injury (he played in 10 games), grousing about his contract and often looking like a shadow of his 2010 self. Now he joins a Chiefs team that cobbled together a backfield last season from parts that included an aging Thomas Jones, tiny Dexter McCluster and the immortal Jackie Battle.
Of course, the reason K.C. had to do this cobbling was because starter Jamaal Charles tore his left ACL. "J-Mail" was himself a breakout superstar in 2010, putting together a 1,935-total-yard, eight-total-TD season. When he's right, Charles might be the quickest player in the NFL, an open-field nightmare and a megastar. And now he finds himself paired with Hillis, a 250-pound bull who was born to drive his helmet into linebackers and push the final few yards into an end zone. While it's pure poetry from an on-field perspective, this has the makings of fantasy poison.

Granted, there's a lot we don't know. We can't be sure Charles will be recovered enough from his ACL surgery to perform at his top level. We've all been told that, typically, a running back might return from this major surgery after one year, but he often doesn't truly regain his strength and cutting ability until two years post-surgery. It bodes well that J-Mail's injury came in Week 2, so he'll have had almost a full year to recover once the 2012 regular season comes around, but still, until we see how he looks in Chiefs camp, we just can't know anything for sure. And we also won't know Hillis' state of mind, or whether his injury-plagued career will continue its unsteady path. The big guy didn't play well under the looming specter of a new contract last year, and his deal with the Chiefs is clearly a "prove-it" arrangement designed to potentially get him a bigger payday in 2013. And despite the fact that he's only 26, Hillis has already taken a heck of a lot of punishment in his NFL career.
The best-case scenario for the Chiefs -- Charles returns to maybe 85 percent of his inherent skills in '11 and Hillis stays healthy -- might just be the most vexing scenario for fantasy owners. Can't you envision Charles as the main guy between the 20s, racking up a bunch of yardage, then giving way to Hillis in TD situations? And Hillis is a heck of a pass-catcher out of the backfield, too, which has always made him a natural for third downs, but isn't Charles a scarier proposition for defenses when he's in open space? (Worth noting: Hillis' career high in receptions for a season is 61, and Charles' is 45.) If both guys are healthy and effective, this is a symbiotic relationship that probably works extremely well for the Chiefs, and not as well for fantasy owners. That said, drafting either of these running backs also comes with the upside of having the other guy get hurt. We've seen what it looks like when either of these players is "The Man." And it's very attractive.
On the heels of this news, I did lower Charles' ranking. I pushed him down from my No. 8 RB to No. 12, which moved him from the second round in standard ESPN.com leagues to the third. I actually didn't move Hillis; I had him ranked at No. 30 among RBs, and that's where I kept him, because my prior assumption was he'd land somewhere as a potentially TD-heavy tandem running back, which is what he seems like in K.C. But the problem with these ranks, of course, and the problem with drafting either of these players, is that either of these guys could wind up providing first-round value or sitting out half the season. The Chiefs' backfield will be as high-risk, high-reward as they come in '12.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fantasy football 2012 rankings

These ranks are subject to dramatic change as the free-agent and draft seasons advance on us. I'll keep them updated when major NFL personnel changes happen. I also reserve the right to change my mind on hard-to-rank players like Cam Newton and Rob Gronkowski, whmo some readers will instantly howl are "too low" at their respective positions. (If you know my work, you know I tend toward conservative estimates of amazing-season repeatability.) At this point it's all grist for the mill. Let the debates begin!

[Editor's Note: Rankings were updated March 15 to reflect Peyton Hillis' signing.]] Fantasy Football Top 100

<inline1>
<table><thead><tr><th> Rank </th><th> Player </th><th> Pos. Rank </th><th> Comment </th></tr><tbody><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 1 </td><td align="left"> Arian Foster, HOU </td><td align="center"> RB1 </td><td align="left"> Big contract, two-year consistency puts him at the top. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 2 </td><td align="left"> Ray Rice, BAL </td><td align="center"> RB2 </td><td align="left"> Pretty nice now that he's the goal-line back, too. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 3 </td><td align="left"> LeSean McCoy, PHI </td><td align="center"> RB3 </td><td align="left"> Does Vick take some of the TDs back? </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 4 </td><td align="left"> Aaron Rodgers, GB </td><td align="center"> QB1 </td><td align="left"> Everything went ultra-perfect, and he still wasn't VBD's No. 1 in '11. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 5 </td><td align="left"> Calvin Johnson, DET </td><td align="center"> WR1 </td><td align="left"> No reason the Lions' aerial circus slows down now. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 6 </td><td align="left"> Maurice Jones-Drew, JAC </td><td align="center"> RB4 </td><td align="left"> Could he break down? Yep. So could every RB on the planet. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 7 </td><td align="left"> Matt Forte, CHI </td><td align="center"> RB5 </td><td align="left"> Watch out for a potential holdout. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 8 </td><td align="left"> Chris Johnson, TEN </td><td align="center"> RB6 </td><td align="left"> Underplayed story is weakness in TEN o-line, which must be addressed. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 9 </td><td align="left"> Tom Brady, NE </td><td align="center"> QB2 </td><td align="left"> In three of his past four healthy years, he has 36, 39 and 50 TD passes. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 10 </td><td align="left"> Andre Johnson, HOU </td><td align="center"> WR2 </td><td align="left"> Back to year-to-year injury worries? </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 11 </td><td align="left"> Drew Brees, NO </td><td align="center"> QB3 </td><td align="left"> The contract thing will get worked out, but he's losing weapons. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 12 </td><td align="left"> Larry Fitzgerald, ARI </td><td align="center"> WR3 </td><td align="left"> Unbelievable talent, and produced a great season with substandard QB play. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 13 </td><td align="left"> Matthew Stafford, DET </td><td align="center"> QB4 </td><td align="left"> Seems like a long time ago people were grousing about his injuries. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 14 </td><td align="left"> Ryan Mathews, SD </td><td align="center"> RB7 </td><td align="left"> Two injury-marred years, but the job should be his. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 15 </td><td align="left"> Wes Welker, NE </td><td align="center"> WR4 </td><td align="left"> Wipe away the ACL year and he's averaged 117 catches per year as a Patriot. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 16 </td><td align="left"> Greg Jennings, GB </td><td align="center"> WR5 </td><td align="left"> I still prefer him to Jordy Nelson, despite their '11 stat disparity. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 17 </td><td align="left"> Rob Gronkowski, NE </td><td align="center"> TE1 </td><td align="left"> I hate putting him even this high, but the dude has 28 TDs in two pro seasons. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 18 </td><td align="left"> Marshawn Lynch, SEA </td><td align="center"> RB8 </td><td align="left"> Was the end of '11 simply a contract run? </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 19 </td><td align="left"> DeMarco Murray, DAL </td><td align="center"> RB9 </td><td align="left"> Felix Jones is still in the mix, and Murray is an injury risk, but still. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 20 </td><td align="left"> Frank Gore, SF </td><td align="center"> RB10 </td><td align="left"> Role diminished in the second half of '11 with Kendall Hunter in the mix. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 21 </td><td align="left"> Darren McFadden, OAK </td><td align="center"> RB11 </td><td align="left"> So much ability, but red flags abound because of all the injuries. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 22 </td><td align="left"> Mike Wallace, PIT </td><td align="center"> WR6 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 23 </td><td align="left"> Jimmy Graham, NO </td><td align="center"> TE2 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 24 </td><td align="left"> Cam Newton, CAR </td><td align="center"> QB5 </td><td align="left"> I'll be doing tons of Cam analysis this summer, and reserve the right to change my mind. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 25 </td><td align="left"> Jamaal Charles, KC </td><td align="center"> RB12 </td><td align="left"> Coming off torn ACL, Peyton Hillis makes J-Mail a TD nightmare. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 26 </td><td align="left"> Steven Jackson, STL </td><td align="center"> RB13 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 27 </td><td align="left"> A.J. Green, CIN </td><td align="center"> WR7 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 28 </td><td align="left"> Michael Vick, PHI </td><td align="center"> QB6 </td><td align="left"> The issue with Vick will always be whether he can play close to a full season. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 29 </td><td align="left"> Ahmad Bradshaw, NYG </td><td align="center"> RB14 </td><td align="left"> He shook off foot concerns, and should have a heavier load with Brandon Jacobs gone. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 30 </td><td align="left"> Hakeem Nicks, NYG </td><td align="center"> WR8 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 31 </td><td align="left"> Roddy White, ATL </td><td align="center"> WR9 </td><td align="left"> I love Roddy. But I love Julio, too. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 32 </td><td align="left"> Julio Jones, ATL </td><td align="center"> WR10 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 33 </td><td align="left"> Fred Jackson, BUF </td><td align="center"> RB15 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 34 </td><td align="left"> Roy Helu, WAS </td><td align="center"> RB16 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 35 </td><td align="left"> Steve Smith, CAR </td><td align="center"> WR11 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 36 </td><td align="left"> Brandon Marshall, CHI </td><td align="center"> WR12 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 37 </td><td align="left"> Jordy Nelson, GB </td><td align="center"> WR13 </td><td align="left"> He's good, but I'm not chasing last year's TDs. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 38 </td><td align="left"> Dez Bryant, DAL </td><td align="center"> WR14 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 39 </td><td align="left"> Kenny Britt, TEN </td><td align="center"> WR15 </td><td align="left"> It's a leap of faith, but I still consider him borderline elite. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 40 </td><td align="left"> Michael Turner, ATL </td><td align="center"> RB17 </td><td align="left"> I know. He was the No. 5 RB in fantasy last year. But the cliff is coming. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 41 </td><td align="left"> Reggie Bush, MIA </td><td align="center"> RB18 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 42 </td><td align="left"> Dwayne Bowe, KC </td><td align="center"> WR16 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 43 </td><td align="left"> Vincent Jackson, TB </td><td align="center"> WR17 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 44 </td><td align="left"> Marques Colston, NO </td><td align="center"> WR18 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 45 </td><td align="left"> Miles Austin, DAL </td><td align="center"> WR19 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 46 </td><td align="left"> Eli Manning, NYG </td><td align="center"> QB7 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 47 </td><td align="left"> Victor Cruz, NYG </td><td align="center"> WR20 </td><td align="left"> And he was the No. 4 WR. I'm simply scared of the one-year wonder factor. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 48 </td><td align="left"> Percy Harvin, MIN </td><td align="center"> WR21 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 49 </td><td align="left"> Jonathan Stewart, CAR </td><td align="center"> RB19 </td><td align="left"> This should be his final season toiling in the world's most frustrating platoon. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 50 </td><td align="left"> DeAngelo Williams, CAR </td><td align="center"> RB20 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 51 </td><td align="left"> Darren Sproles, NO </td><td align="center"> RB21 </td><td align="left"> 0 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 52 </td><td align="left"> Michael Bush, FA </td><td align="center"> RB22 </td><td align="left"> Obviously a lot depends on where he lands, but he figures to be a TD maker. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 53 </td><td align="left"> Tony Romo, DAL </td><td align="center"> QB8 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 54 </td><td align="left"> Peyton Manning, FA </td><td align="center"> QB9 </td><td align="left"> Heaven only knows. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 55 </td><td align="left"> Philip Rivers, SD </td><td align="center"> QB10 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 56 </td><td align="left"> Adrian Peterson, MIN </td><td align="center"> RB23 </td><td align="left"> Opinions on AP will vary wildly until we get true August medical reports. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 57 </td><td align="left"> Jeremy Maclin, PHI </td><td align="center"> WR22 </td><td align="left"> He'd have been more attractive had DeSean Jackson left Philly. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 58 </td><td align="left"> Willis McGahee, DEN </td><td align="center"> RB24 </td><td align="left"> McGahee is grousing about his contract, which might not bode terribly well. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 59 </td><td align="left"> Steve Johnson, BUF </td><td align="center"> WR23 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 60 </td><td align="left"> Trent Richardson, -- </td><td align="center"> RB25 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 61 </td><td align="left"> Jahvid Best, DET </td><td align="center"> RB26 </td><td align="left"> Listen, I know he's my binky. I don't trust Leshoure returning from a torn Achilles', though. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 62 </td><td align="left"> Antonio Brown, PIT </td><td align="center"> WR24 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 63 </td><td align="left"> Mark Ingram, NO </td><td align="center"> RB27 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 64 </td><td align="left"> Beanie Wells, ARI </td><td align="center"> RB28 </td><td align="left"> It's hard to trust those knees. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 65 </td><td align="left"> DeSean Jackson, PHI </td><td align="center"> WR25 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 66 </td><td align="left"> Shonn Greene, NYJ </td><td align="center"> RB29 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 67 </td><td align="left"> Antonio Gates, SD </td><td align="center"> TE3 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 68 </td><td align="left"> Peyton Hillis, KC </td><td align="center"> RB30 </td><td align="left"> He was always overvalued last season, but now he could be undervalued. He's 26. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 69 </td><td align="left"> Santonio Holmes, NYJ </td><td align="center"> WR26 </td><td align="left"> One gets the sense that if the Jets could jettison him, they would. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 70 </td><td align="left"> Jason Witten, DAL </td><td align="center"> TE4 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 71 </td><td align="left"> C.J. Spiller, BUF </td><td align="center"> RB31 </td><td align="left"> He had 21 carries in his first 10 games before Jackson's injury. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 72 </td><td align="left"> Robert Meachem, SD </td><td align="center"> WR27 </td><td align="left"> 0 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 73 </td><td align="left"> Pierre Garcon, WAS </td><td align="center"> WR28 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 74 </td><td align="left"> Isaac Redman, PIT </td><td align="center"> RB32 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 75 </td><td align="left"> Brandon Lloyd, FA </td><td align="center"> WR29 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 76 </td><td align="left"> Tim Tebow, DEN </td><td align="center"> QB11 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 77 </td><td align="left"> Jermichael Finley, GB </td><td align="center"> TE5 </td><td align="left"> One of the few elite TEs who didn't fully participate in the "Year of the Tight End." </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 78 </td><td align="left"> Vernon Davis, SF </td><td align="center"> TE6 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 79 </td><td align="left"> Toby Gerhart, MIN </td><td align="center"> RB33 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 80 </td><td align="left"> Demaryius Thomas, DEN </td><td align="center"> WR30 </td><td align="left"> There's potential for him to be wildly overvalued. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 81 </td><td align="left"> Stevan Ridley, NE </td><td align="center"> RB34 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 82 </td><td align="left"> James Starks, GB </td><td align="center"> RB35 </td><td align="left"> I don't believe in Ryan Grant, but Green Bay doesn't run enough. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 83 </td><td align="left"> Ben Tate, HOU </td><td align="center"> RB36 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 84 </td><td align="left"> Ryan Williams, ARI </td><td align="center"> RB37 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 85 </td><td align="left"> Aaron Hernandez, NE </td><td align="center"> TE7 </td><td align="left"> Let's see what New England does at wideout. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 86 </td><td align="left"> 49ers Defense, SF </td><td align="center"> DEF1 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 87 </td><td align="left"> Matt Ryan, ATL </td><td align="center"> QB12 </td><td align="left"> I love his receivers, but he's yet to turn in an elite season. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 88 </td><td align="left"> Fred Davis, WAS </td><td align="center"> TE8 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 89 </td><td align="left"> Ravens Defense, BAL </td><td align="center"> DEF2 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 90 </td><td align="left"> Donald Brown, IND </td><td align="center"> RB38 </td><td align="left"> Not a terrible sleeper; he averaged 4.8 yards per carry and Joseph Addai is gone. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 91 </td><td align="left"> Anquan Boldin, BAL </td><td align="center"> WR31 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 92 </td><td align="left"> Pierre Thomas, NO </td><td align="center"> RB39 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 93 </td><td align="left"> Matt Schaub, HOU </td><td align="center"> QB13 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 94 </td><td align="left"> Bears Defense, CHI </td><td align="center"> DEF3 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 95 </td><td align="left"> Montario Hardesty, CLE </td><td align="center"> RB40 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 96 </td><td align="left"> LeGarrette Blount, TB </td><td align="center"> RB41 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 97 </td><td align="left"> Josh Freeman, TB </td><td align="center"> QB14 </td><td align="left"> 0 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 98 </td><td align="left"> Denarius Moore, OAK </td><td align="center"> WR32 </td><td align="left"> I love his talent, but Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jacoby Ford, Louis Murphy&and Carson Palmer. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 99 </td><td align="left"> BenJarvus Green-Ellis, FA </td><td align="center"> RB42 </td><td align="left"> 0 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 100 </td><td align="left"> Torrey Smith, BAL </td><td align="center"> WR33 </td><td align="left"> 0 </td></tr></tbody></table></inline1>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Finish line is near

During my first week at Rotoworld in 2003, there was a debate in our weekly Goal Line Stand rankings. Should Kelly Holcomb or Peyton Manning be ranked first at quarterback? We rolled with Manning.

Manning was on the cover of the first Rotoworld magazine I edited in 2004 with the cover: “Can Peyton throw 40 TDs?” He threw 49.

This is my last day at Rotoworld. A lot has changed in the meantime, but Manning remains the lead story.

Three-team race

Entering Friday, it would have been a shock if Manning signed anywhere except Tennessee or Denver. Now we’ve learned according to ESPN that the 49ers have worked out Manning and it’s a three-team race.

The Cardinals are officially stuck with Kevin Kolb as of 4 p.m. ET Friday. The Dolphins are out of the Manning race, and trying to get Matt Flynn on board before he possibly signs with the Seahawks.

I like Tennessee best as a fit for Manning. Their tackle play on the offensive line is strong, and the Titans are upgrading their interior line. I trust Manning to help solve many of Chris Johnson’s problems from a year ago. Kenny Britt and Jared Cook make a nice base for the Titans to start from at receiver and tight end. More additions would arrive.

This is probably hair-splitting. If he’s healthy, Manning will make the offense work wherever he lands. Not the other way around. Denver, San Francisco, and Tennessee are strong up front. The 49ers would be Super Bowl favorites with Manning. Give Manning protection and the weapons around him will suddenly look a lot better.

Manning’s arm strength and ability to withstand 16 games again are the true variables here, not his supporting cast. This isn’t Joe Namath in Los Angeles or Johnny Unitas in San Diego. Those guys were done. Manning threw for 4,700 yards with 33 touchdowns in his last complete year. Not quite 49, but not bad.

Seven more

I started at Rotoworld writing all fantasy football, all the time. It doesn’t feel right to go out without a few fantasy nuggets before I start saying my goodbyes.

Frankly, not much has happened since my last column Wednesday evening. The market has settled down. There are still plenty of big chips left on the board other than Manning, but the frenzy of signings has slowed to a manageable level.

1. Laurent Robinson figures to be the most overpaid player in free agency. He’s making more than $11 million in 2012. I’d put his over/under of yardage around 650. At best. He’s been on four teams in five years. Guys like that rarely create lasting success. It wouldn’t be a shock if he was one and done in Jacksonville.

2. Robinson’s best chance for big numbers will be if Chad Henne wins the job over Blaine Gabbert as the Jaguars starting quarterback in Week 1. It’s more likely to happen around Week 4.

Henne has his faults, but he could succeed with the right system and teammates around him. Jacksonville’s offense is a work in progress. Jacksonville is paying Henne $4 million, which is not a true backup salary.

3. Peyton Hillis was a better bet for yardage in Cleveland, but he fits in well with the Chiefs. He’ll play second banana to Jamaal Charles, but will probably steal many red zone looks. More importantly, Hillis will be a must-start, top-15 option whenever Charles misses time. That’s what you want out of a fantasy RB3.

The Chiefs have invested a lot in Charles long term. They gave Hillis $3 million for 2012. It wouldn’t surprise me if touches were split evenly this year as the Chiefs play it careful following Charles’ ACL surgery.

4. The Chargers are the perfect team for Eddie Royal. Norv Turner will know just how to use his skill set. Between Royal, Robert Meachem, Vincent Brown, and Antonio Gates, Philip Rivers has more than enough weapons to put together a strong bounceback, top-5 season.

Meachem is in a better position to produce this year, but there are a lot of weapons in San Diego to split up the pie. Just like in New Orleans.

5. Kevin Boss is going to be a drain on Tony Moeaki in Kansas City. Moeaki would have been one of my favorite tight end sleepers.

6. I couldn’t be more down on Kevin Kolb. That’s why the Peyton Manning derby will have such a frustrating end for Larry Fitzgerald and his owners.

7. Cleveland needed to make a bold move at quarterback to provide any hope for real offensive improvement in 2012. It doesn’t look like it will happen.

<!--RW-->That’s a job?

Manning ended his goodbye press conference by telling Colts fans he has “truly enjoyed being your quarterback.” It was such a perfect line that I'm going to steal it. I’ve truly enjoyed writing for you here for nine years.

I started working at Rotoworld midway through the 2003 NFL season. Our office was located roughly 75 minutes north of New York City in Somers, New York. I rented a room in a house owned by a creepy motivational speaker nearby with my $500-per-week salary.

My job description was to write all the player news for Rotoworld football and help where else I could. It took me a few weeks to realize no one was going to tell me what to do. Or even ask what I was doing. It took me a few hours to realize I never wanted to go back to a real job again.

At the time, Rotoworld was a relatively small (but growing) part of AllStarStats Inc., a stats service for fantasy leagues. Two childhood friends Rich Pike and Mike Oliveto started the company in the late 80’s in Rich’s mother’s basement. Fantasy owners would call up and enter their teams and transactions by touch tone phone. (If you want to pick up Ellis Burks, press 1. If you want to pick up Tom Brunansky, press 2.) Stats were printed, stapled, and sent out by mail each week.

Mike showed up to work in a Metallica t-shirt every day and spent most of his day ranting about ... anything. Rich would emerge from his office to talk for hours about whatever “idea of the day” popped up. There were always ideas. (Executing those ideas was more challenging.)

The rest of us were crammed together in two rooms. It was a dramatic moment when Rick Cordella – who was a computer programmer when I started at Rotoworld and now runs all of NBC Sports Digital as a business celebrity – put up a divider around his desk to create an “office” where he could make phone calls.

Rotoworld news became my life. When I told people what I did back then, I would first ask: “Do you know what fantasy football is?”

The response was almost always the same: “That’s a job?”

I felt the same way and held on for dear life. It seemed faintly ridiculous you could get paid to write about fantasy sports. I kept waiting for someone to barge into the office and say, “Okay, you guys have had enough fun here. Time’s up.”

After five months, I moved down to New York City to live in an apartment I couldn’t afford on 12<sup>th</sup> St. between Avenue A and B. No football news was written on the site on my way to work and back. There was always a frightening moment when I got home, turned on my laptop, and hoped that no player was arrested during my trip back.

I didn’t miss much because there wasn’t a lot of NFL news in the evening to find back then. There was no Twitter, no RSS feeds, no round-the-clock team blogs, and scant information from the team’s websites. There was no NFL Live. NFL Network was just starting up. There were the local morning papers and not much else.

I was too immersed and in love with my job to notice things weren’t entirely stable around me. One Christmas, I heard years later, Mike and Rich had to pay our salaries off their credit cards. Just two years later, they sold the company to NBC and became set financially for life.

The average person knows fantasy sports now. They probably even know Rotoworld, which has topped four million pageviews per day all this week. We’ve gone from one man on news to a regular staff of 4-5 guys on football, with others chipping in.

I’ve been thinking a lot this week about how things started in Somers and how far Rotoworld has come. I’m taking a job at NFL.com and today feels like high school graduation. (If I went to high school nine years, met a wife and had a daughter during high school.)

I’m so proud of what we built, and it couldn’t be in better hands moving forward. Brett Vandermark runs the whole show and has overseen the site’s massive growth. Evan Silva, Chris Wesseling, Adam Levitan, and Pat Daughtery are the best football crew working in fantasy sports and it’s not close. No. 4 on our depth chart is better than the No. 1 spot at most sites. Tiffany Simons and Matt Casey made the Fantasy Fix what it is. And they made it a family.

I am so thankful to Rick Cordella for being the best leader I could possibly have for nine years. I’m grateful to Mike Florio for the opportunity to write at PFT and the friendship we shared working together. There are many others to thank here, but they are starting to play the music to kick me off stage.

This turned into one of those long, self-indulgent, overly sentimental goodbye columns that I didn’t want to write. But it’s hard not to get sentimental saying goodbye to something you love.

More than anything, I want to say thanks for reading. I meet a lot of Rotoworld readers that aren’t really in fantasy football. They are just news junkies. They want hardcore football analysis. They want contract information. They want to know what news means. They want news on the backup tight end in addition to the Peyton Mannings of the world.

There are a lot of you out there. Thanks for helping me avoid having a real job for so long.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Rocky Mountain High

Only those close to Peyton Manning understand exactly why the Broncos won out over the more talented 49ers as well as his adopted home state of Tennessee. Whatever the reasons, football czar John Elway’s successful campaign to lure Manning was a stroke of brilliance. In landing the league's most decorated quarterback, Elway has check-mated the billboard-wielding Tebow acolytes among the Denver fan base.

As much as Elway and coach John Fox have publicly praised Tebow, their actions spoke to an ingrained skepticism that an NFL quarterback can ultimately succeed with unconventional mechanics while struggling to read defenses and consistently throw the ball to the perimeter against man coverage. Sensing a window to compete in the AFC, the Broncos went from an experiment to a solution at sports’ most important position.
www.rapsports.com
From a fantasy perspective, we are initially inclined to let another owner roll the dice with Manning in 2012. The Broncos’ non-divisional schedule looks brutal. Manning’s arm strength is still a question; he was already losing his deep-ball efficiency before the neck surgeries. There could be growing pains early on while Manning develops a rapport with his new offensive line and wide receivers. Removed from the cozy confines of a dome-field advantage, is he going to rally late in the season during the fantasy playoffs?

A final line of 4,300+ yards and 30 touchdowns is within reach if things break right, but those are no longer even top-five fantasy numbers. The Broncos were right to gamble on Manning, but fantasy owners shouldn’t feel obliged to follow Elway’s lead.

Here's a look at the rest of the fallout from Monday's bombshell.

Winners

Jake Locker / Matt Hasselbeck, Titans - Tennessee’s football people had plans to ignore Manning while putting a full-court press on Mario Williams early in free agency. Meddlesome owner Bud Adams may have cost his franchise the top defensive free agent on the market, but the front office and coaching staff is more than content to stage the Locker-Hasselbeck showdown in training camp. If Locker wins out -- and he should be the favorite -- this could be one of the most exciting offenses in the AFC with a rifle-armed passer, a game-breaking running back, an athletic tight end, and the return of Kenny Britt.

Alex Smith / Colin Kaepernick, 49ers - Multiple reports suggest Smith would rather swallow his pride and return to San Francisco than steal Dolphins owner Stephen Ross’ money. When/if Smith does re-sign with the 49ers, he will find an improved wide receiver corps with Randy Moss and Mario Manningham working outside the numbers. A Manning signing would have blocked Kaepernick for 2-3 years whereas it would surprise no one if the 2011 second-rounder displaces Smith as soon as late this season.

Eric Decker, Broncos - Demaryius Thomas’ furious finish as Tim Tebow’s go-to receiver obscured Decker’s hot start under Kyle Orton. Still a neophyte in progression reading, Tebow can’t support more than one fantasy receiver because of that radar lock on his top target. Decker is a good route runner and an underrated athlete with size and special ball skills. Orton anointed him the “ideal” slot receiver last season, and Decker is more talented than Manning’s former slot machines, Austin Collie and Brandon Stokley.

Dallas Clark, Free Agent - The Broncos still have plenty of cap space. Their starting 2011 tight end just rejoined Josh McDaniels in New England. The 33-year-old Clark isn’t known to have made a single visit since being released by the Colts a week and a half ago. This fit makes too much sense not to happen; in which case, Clark would have low-end TE1 appeal even with his recent injury history.

Losers

Rotoworld’s depth charts trying to find a sensible landing spot for Tebow as a de facto starter. I whiffed. The narrative will immediately turn to Jacksonville, Tebow’s hometown with a fevered fan base. Although owner Shad Khan has made it clear that Tebow would be welcomed home if the opportunity arises, GM Gene Smith is not a believer and wants no part of that circus.

Tebow would fill seats in Miami as well, but why would new coach Joe Philbin want the least accurate quarterback in the league running his timing-based West Coast scheme? Expect the Broncos to find a Tebow trade partner willing to part with a mid-to-late round pick. Just don’t expect him to be under center for the season opener.

Willis McGahee, Broncos - From the Week 6 bye, when Tebow took the reins from Kyle Orton, though the end of the season, the Broncos ran the ball on 62 percent of their plays, easily the highest mark in the NFL. That run-dominant offense allowed McGahee to regain borderline RB1 status for the second half of the season. Now that Manning is essentially the play-caller, that run-pass split is going to flip. Don’t be surprised to see Manning’s passing-down security blanket, <a href="http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=3646">Sideways

Demaryius Thomas, Broncos - As we outlined above, Tebow’s one-read tendencies actually helped Thomas late last season and Brandon Lloyd late in 2010. Extrapolated over a full season, Thomas’ final seven games would have left him as the No. 2 fantasy receiver in 2011. He can’t be expected to better that production with Manning spreading the ball around. While we love Thomas’ talent in Dynasty leagues, we’d be remiss if we didn’t point out that he remains one of the biggest red-flag injury risks in fantasy. While several wide receivers, including Stokley, have recovered from Achilles surgery to post productive seasons, they have had trouble staying in one piece for back-to-back seasons.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Peyton helps value of Broncos WRs

But health questions make Manning the ultimate risk/reward player for 2012

<!-- end mod-article-title --><!-- begin story body -->It's not every day a guy like Peyton Manning changes teams. Let's all just take a breath.

OK, forget it. Let's hyperventilate. This is fun.

There are still many uncertainties left on the return road to fantasy glory for Mr. Manning as a member of the Denver Broncos. But only the most dyed-in-the-wool Tim Tebow fan wouldn't see this as the most exciting moment in franchise history over the past decade-plus. The Broncos now have a chance to become a legit AFC title contender. For our immediate purposes, Denver's offensive weapons may have just become elite fantasy options.

Let's break this down step by step:

1. The downside. We'll get this out of the way first. Manning is about to turn 36 and has had four surgical procedures on the right side of his neck over the past year and a half. I believe the experts who've seen Manning throw, and who say his old ability looks like it's gradually returning. And I know that when he's clicking, Manning tends not to take that many direct shots. (He's routinely averaged less than one sack per game over the past decade.) But he will be hit. And until he is, we simply won't know. We won't know whether he's one harsh blow away from retirement. We won't know whether his arm will instantly regress again. This risk just has to be figured into any assessment of Manning's fantasy value, and the values of his potential weapons. For this reason, I don't think we can instantly return him to his customary top-five QB status. If he plays 16 games, I have confidence that he'll produce a 4,000-yard season with 25-plus TDs, because that's what he does. But I don't know that he'll play 16 games. Nobody does.

2. The offensive philosophy. It's not feasible that Manning will instantly transform the Broncos into "Colts West." I have every confidence that offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, who reportedly was instrumental in getting Denver's philosophies more in accord with Tebow's abilities last year, will do everything in his power to make Manning comfortable. That will almost certainly include unlimited license to make changes at the line of scrimmage, and call whatever plays he sees fit. But the simple fact remains: Manning and guys like Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison and Dallas Clark built up that insane, instinctive chemistry over years and years. Offenses don't usually completely wipe out terminology and force everyone to re-learn everything; this is probably a technicality, but what the Broncos wind up running in '12 likely will be a hybrid of terminology, play calling, route-running and philosophy. John Fox does still prefer a defensive brand of football, though he was able to adjust when he had a gunslinging Jake Delhomme working with Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad those years with the Carolina Panthers. And Willis McGahee is coming off a pretty good season. Obviously, Manning will be the focal point. My larger assessment is simply that assuming you'll see a carbon copy of everything the Colts ever ran is naïve.

3. The receiving corps. Demaryius Thomas is now the man with all the fantasy upside on the planet. At 6-foot-3 and 235 pounds with terrific straight-ahead speed (he never had an official pre-draft 40 time because of a foot injury), Thomas presents Manning with the kind of physical freakiness he's never had in a receiver. If you woke me up from a year-long cryogenic nap in March 2013 and told me the guy known as "Bebe" turned out to be fantasy's No. 1 wide receiver, I wouldn't be stunned. For that reason, the risk-lovers among us may consider drafting him as a top-10 receiver in August. But even outside the risk of injury to Manning, we must remember Thomas himself had a serious foot injury in college and then tore an Achilles just more than a year ago. In addition, it's been convenient to blame Thomas' hands problems on Tebow's inaccuracy; that excuse will likely be gone if Manning stays upright.

Eric Decker is just about the same size as Thomas (6-3 and 218 pounds) and is only perhaps slightly slower, though he has a history of foot injuries and he also hurt his knee during the playoffs. It's easy to imagine these two wideouts jockeying back and forth on a weekly basis, racking up targets as opposing defenses keep shifting their focus, trying to figure out whom to stop first. I'm not going to put either of these guys in my top 10 fantasy WRs because of this high-risk situation. But at least until this roster undergoes further change, I'm putting Thomas inside my top 20 WRs and Decker inside my top 30. (As always, click here to see my Top 100 ranks for '12.) As for ancillary receiving weapons, I won't be surprised if the Broncos add more veterans to complicate matters (Dallas Clark, perhaps?). If they don't, incumbent second-year tight end Julius Thomas has immense athletic upside and could become a deep-league sleeper, and Matt Willis could be a candidate for slot duties.

4. The running game. These numbers are obviously skewed by Tebow's 122 rushing attempts, but overall the Broncos ran on 56 percent of their play calls last season, tops in the NFL. Completely remove Tebow's runs, and they still would've ranked fifth in the run-heaviness of their play calling. That's not going to stick. McGahee was a revelation in '11, showing life in his legs after a couple of down years in Baltimore, but he turns 31 in October and I can't imagine he has anything close to another 1,199-yard season ahead of him in '12. But don't sound the death knell for his fantasy value just yet. If McGahee can stay healthy, he's got a shot for significantly more goal-line work than he had last season during Tebowmania; remember, despite that resurgent year, McGahee scored only two red zone rushing TDs (and four rushing TDs overall), compared to six for Tebow. One thing you can be fairly certain of: Manning isn't taking too many QB sneaks in Denver. Knowshon Moreno could return from his torn ACL to fight for carries and receptions, though one gets a sense that the Broncos are tired of him. Lance Ball might be in the mix. And heck, it's within the realm of possibility that the team gears up for a big Manning-related run and trades for someone like Jonathan Stewart. But while there's a temptation to lower McGahee in my RB ranks simply because of this potential deal, I've resisted the urge to do so. He still sits at No. 24 for now.

5. Peyton's ranking. This is so tough. Can you really draft him to be a fantasy starter in a 10-team league? And if you decide the answer to that question is "yes," how high do you go? I have him as my No. 8 QB right now, which I think encapsulates the excitement and upside that comes with his decision, and douses it with a splash of reality. That puts him one spot behind his brother, Eli Manning, but one slot ahead of Tony Romo, who's followed by Philip Rivers. I mean, there are a lot of variables here, right? And I haven't even talked about the weather. I'm sure he'll handle it, because he's one of the best players in NFL history. But has the elder Manning consistently given us great bad-weather games? Deciding whether and when to bite on Peyton will be a fantasy-draft-defining decision in every league this year.

6. NFL-wide fallout. Right off the bat, you hear that Tebow will be traded. First off, good luck with that. The Broncos' brass has done everything possible to tell the world how little it thinks of Tebow despite all he did for the team last year. Who's going to pay much for him now? Jacksonville Jaguars GM Gene Smith has stated fairly unequivocally that he isn't interested. I guess the Miami Dolphins could give it a whirl just for the fun of it. But it seems mighty unlikely that Tebow ends up on a team where a starting gig is guaranteed, and that completely knocks the fantasy wind from his sails. He's a late-round flyer at best. Alex Smith is likely to return to the San Francisco 49ers, which puts a damper on excitement surrounding Mario Manningham and Randy Moss. Jake Locker can go back to being the QB of the future (and perhaps the present) and Matt Hasselbeck doesn't need to look for a new zip code. (I'd love to see Locker play well enough this summer to win that Tennessee Titans gig, and watch him and Kenny Britt hook up regularly this year.) And there are further ripples, including whether any of Manning's other erstwhile teammates will join him a mile high.

For now, though, let's bask in this excitement. There are questions we won't have answered for months and months, though it will be fun to speculate. Fantasy drafts will be won and lost based on these risk/reward assessments. And Manning will either write a dashing postscript to his Hall of Fame career or go down hard, bringing John Elway with him. But you know one thing: It won't be boring.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Loaded Patriots could limit Lloyd

<!-- end mod-article-title --><!-- begin story body -->When the New England Patriots acquire a new wideout, it's tempting to get carried away. It's understandable. Some dude named Randy Moss landed in Foxborough back in 2007 and caught 23 touchdown passes. That year, Tom Brady threw for 50 scores, and in his past two seasons he's managed 36 and 39 TDs. Brady has made fantasy stars of Wes Welker and Rob Gronkowski, and made us all re-learn the name Deion Branch. Heck, he tempted the unfortunate among us to take a chance on Chad Ochocinco last year. So now that Brandon Lloyd has landed in New England, visions of fantasy championships are dancing in many folks' heads.
I'll throw around a little cold water in a paragraph or so. But to join in the hype train, I should note that Lloyd has really only ever been productive in his NFL life when he's been coached by Josh McDaniels, who is the Pats' new offensive coordinator. Just a couple of seasons ago, McDaniels helped make Lloyd fantasy's No. 1 receiver mostly with Kyle Orton flinging it to him. This just in: Brady > Orton. Considering the plethora of offensive weaponry that already exists on the Patriots' roster, it's easy to imagine that Lloyd will see a lot of one-on-one coverage when he runs routes outside the numbers, which just happens to be his specialty. And he's scored seven times on plays that went for at least 30 yards in the last 25 games he's played for McDaniels.

Let me be clear: I like this move much more than I liked the Ochocinco signing. The Ocho was entering his age-33 season; Lloyd will be 31 in July. And whereas Ocho hadn't proven he could work in careful synchrony with an improvisational QB, Lloyd has already done exactly what McDaniels will ask him to do. He may not be a true deep-speed burner, but he makes terrific plays on the sidelines and on jump balls. However, there are 409 reasons not to overrate Lloyd this year. That's the number of targets combined registered by Welker, Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez last season, three guys who aren't going anywhere in '12 (whereas Branch and Ochocinco will most assuredly be gone). Combined last year, Branch and Ocho had 112 targets, which seems like a fair starting point when projecting Lloyd this year. Unfortunately, the past two years he's had 153 and 150 targets.

You get where I'm going with this. If Lloyd sees something on the order of seven targets per week (compared to the nine or 10 he's grown accustomed to getting), it's probably not realistic to think he'll threaten the top 10 fantasy WR list this season. And that's to say nothing of the touchdowns. Yes, Lloyd has gained a solid rep the past couple of years for big plays, which have often included times where he's beaten the kind of deep-safety help that he might not face while he's got a Flying Elvis on his helmet. But he's also scored nine times from inside the red zone in the past two seasons, and it's hard to imagine that rate staying constant with guys as devastating in close as Gronk and Hernandez on this roster.

Simply put, because of the tight ends in New England, it's not realistic to think that both Lloyd and Welker can be top-10 fantasy options, and with both of them around, it may be that neither of them will rate that high. Right now, I still prefer Welker to Lloyd because his production should be steadier, whereas Lloyd will likely ebb and flow more. But while another legit, prime-of-his-career weapon will only help Brady's cause and the cause of the entire New England offense, it's fair to say that the incumbent individual receiving pieces all take hits to their fantasy values for '12. Lloyd creeps up to my No. 21 WR spot from No. 29, but Welker drops from No. 4 to No. 7, which takes him down nearly a round and a half in my overall ranks. I also moved Gronkowski down one spot overall (behind Marshawn Lynch), but took Hernandez down several pegs; he's now No. 93 overall and No. 8 on my tight end list.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Don't go wild for Flynn in Seattle

If I were the Seattle Seahawks, I would rather have Peyton Manning than Matt Flynn.

But if I were the Seattle Seahawks, I would probably rather have Matt Flynn than Alex Smith.

The Seahawks could do nothing about the first of those two statements; Peyton wouldn't even talk to them. So they did the best with what they could and reached an agreement with Flynn on a relatively cap-friendly deal: $10 million guaranteed over three years. He will more than likely be Seattle's starter in 2012.

Why would I rather have signed Flynn than Smith, who as of this writing is currently dangling in the wind waiting for the San Francisco 49ers to find out if they'll win the Manning Derby? First off, such a signing requires far less of a financial commitment than Smith is looking for, meaning if things don't work out, it won't kill the franchise to move on. Next, I think it's fair to argue that while Flynn probably has more downside than Smith, he probably has more upside, too.

If my Twitter feed is any indication, Niners fans don't want to hear this, but Smith was a caretaker's caretaker in '11 and the 49ers were freaked out by the idea of having him throw the ball, especially down the field. Sorry, a few playoff throws doesn't change the fact that Smith had zero 300-yard games, and nine contests in which he didn't even eclipse 200.

Meanwhile, Flynn absolutely might go the Kevin Kolb route and wind up being a system QB who isn't very good outside his system. Flynn has thrown 132 regular-season passes in his life, and there's nowhere to go but down after Week 17's ludicrous 31-of-44 for 480 yards and six TDs. But he spent years learning at the foot of Aaron Rodgers, who swears by the guy. Flynn doesn't have a big arm and things won't go well if he has to make a living going down the field, at least until and if he can undergo the kind of arm-strength transformation that Rodgers and Drew Brees have made famous. But he's known for good decision-making and has a pedigree for success. Finally, while Smith is only a year older than Flynn, he has had major surgery to his throwing arm and more tread taken off his tires. Neither Smith nor Flynn is leading the mid-rebuild Seahawks to a Super Bowl this year, so why not take the "younger-bodied" guy?

However, in comparing Matt Flynn to Alex Smith, I hope you're gathering that I don't view Flynn as much of a fantasy football option right now. He really doesn't have an above-average wing at the moment, nor will he have anything resembling the Green Bay Packers receiving corps in Seattle. Sidney Rice had surgery to both shoulders this winter and suffered through concussion problems late last year. Mike Williams is coming off a gruesome broken leg. Doug Baldwin and Marshawn Lynch are still available as pass-catchers, but unless the Seahawks draft a wide receiver, that's about it. With Tarvaris Jackson at the helm in '11, Seattle had a top-10 run-heavy offense and ranked 26th in net yards per attempt, and there's little reason to think that changes immediately. Frankly, I think Smith is a decent comparable for Flynn; in the best of all worlds, with everyone around him playing nearly flawlessly, Flynn could be the No. 14 QB in fantasy, as Smith was last year. It's more likely, of course, that neither Smith nor Flynn finishes that high in '12.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Peyton helps value of Broncos WRs

But health questions make Manning the ultimate risk/reward player for 2012

It's not every day a guy like Peyton Manning changes teams. Let's all just take a breath.

OK, forget it. Let's hyperventilate. This is fun.

There are still many uncertainties left on the return road to fantasy glory for Mr. Manning as a member of the Denver Broncos. But only the most dyed-in-the-wool Tim Tebow fan wouldn't see this as the most exciting moment in franchise history over the past decade-plus. The Broncos now have a chance to become a legit AFC title contender. For our immediate purposes, Denver's offensive weapons may have just become elite fantasy options.

Let's break this down step by step:

1. The downside. We'll get this out of the way first. Manning is about to turn 36 and has had four surgical procedures on the right side of his neck over the past year and a half. I believe the experts who've seen Manning throw, and who say his old ability looks like it's gradually returning. And I know that when he's clicking, Manning tends not to take that many direct shots. (He's routinely averaged less than one sack per game over the past decade.) But he will be hit. And until he is, we simply won't know. We won't know whether he's one harsh blow away from retirement. We won't know whether his arm will instantly regress again. This risk just has to be figured into any assessment of Manning's fantasy value, and the values of his potential weapons. For this reason, I don't think we can instantly return him to his customary top-five QB status. If he plays 16 games, I have confidence that he'll produce a 4,000-yard season with 25-plus TDs, because that's what he does. But I don't know that he'll play 16 games. Nobody does.

2. The offensive philosophy. It's not feasible that Manning will instantly transform the Broncos into "Colts West." I have every confidence that offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, who reportedly was instrumental in getting Denver's philosophies more in accord with Tebow's abilities last year, will do everything in his power to make Manning comfortable. That will almost certainly include unlimited license to make changes at the line of scrimmage, and call whatever plays he sees fit. But the simple fact remains: Manning and guys like Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison and Dallas Clark built up that insane, instinctive chemistry over years and years. Offenses don't usually completely wipe out terminology and force everyone to re-learn everything; this is probably a technicality, but what the Broncos wind up running in '12 likely will be a hybrid of terminology, play calling, route-running and philosophy. John Fox does still prefer a defensive brand of football, though he was able to adjust when he had a gunslinging Jake Delhomme working with Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad those years with the Carolina Panthers. And Willis McGahee is coming off a pretty good season. Obviously, Manning will be the focal point. My larger assessment is simply that assuming you'll see a carbon copy of everything the Colts ever ran is naïve.

3. The receiving corps. Demaryius Thomas is now the man with all the fantasy upside on the planet. At 6-foot-3 and 235 pounds with terrific straight-ahead speed (he never had an official pre-draft 40 time because of a foot injury), Thomas presents Manning with the kind of physical freakiness he's never had in a receiver. If you woke me up from a year-long cryogenic nap in March 2013 and told me the guy known as "Bebe" turned out to be fantasy's No. 1 wide receiver, I wouldn't be stunned. For that reason, the risk-lovers among us may consider drafting him as a top-10 receiver in August. But even outside the risk of injury to Manning, we must remember Thomas himself had a serious foot injury in college and then tore an Achilles just more than a year ago. In addition, it's been convenient to blame Thomas' hands problems on Tebow's inaccuracy; that excuse will likely be gone if Manning stays upright.

Eric Decker is just about the same size as Thomas (6-3 and 218 pounds) and is only perhaps slightly slower, though he has a history of foot injuries and he also hurt his knee during the playoffs. It's easy to imagine these two wideouts jockeying back and forth on a weekly basis, racking up targets as opposing defenses keep shifting their focus, trying to figure out whom to stop first. I'm not going to put either of these guys in my top 10 fantasy WRs because of this high-risk situation. But at least until this roster undergoes further change, I'm putting Thomas inside my top 20 WRs and Decker inside my top 30. (As always, click here to see my Top 100 ranks for '12.) As for ancillary receiving weapons, I won't be surprised if the Broncos add more veterans to complicate matters (Dallas Clark, perhaps?). If they don't, incumbent second-year tight end Julius Thomas has immense athletic upside and could become a deep-league sleeper, and Matt Willis could be a candidate for slot duties.

4. The running game. These numbers are obviously skewed by Tebow's 122 rushing attempts, but overall the Broncos ran on 56 percent of their play calls last season, tops in the NFL. Completely remove Tebow's runs, and they still would've ranked fifth in the run-heaviness of their play calling. That's not going to stick. McGahee was a revelation in '11, showing life in his legs after a couple of down years in Baltimore, but he turns 31 in October and I can't imagine he has anything close to another 1,199-yard season ahead of him in '12. But don't sound the death knell for his fantasy value just yet. If McGahee can stay healthy, he's got a shot for significantly more goal-line work than he had last season during Tebowmania; remember, despite that resurgent year, McGahee scored only two red zone rushing TDs (and four rushing TDs overall), compared to six for Tebow. One thing you can be fairly certain of: Manning isn't taking too many QB sneaks in Denver. Knowshon Moreno could return from his torn ACL to fight for carries and receptions, though one gets a sense that the Broncos are tired of him. Lance Ball might be in the mix. And heck, it's within the realm of possibility that the team gears up for a big Manning-related run and trades for someone like Jonathan Stewart. But while there's a temptation to lower McGahee in my RB ranks simply because of this potential deal, I've resisted the urge to do so. He still sits at No. 24 for now.

5. Peyton's ranking. This is so tough. Can you really draft him to be a fantasy starter in a 10-team league? And if you decide the answer to that question is "yes," how high do you go? I have him as my No. 8 QB right now, which I think encapsulates the excitement and upside that comes with his decision, and douses it with a splash of reality. That puts him one spot behind his brother, Eli Manning, but one slot ahead of Tony Romo, who's followed by Philip Rivers. I mean, there are a lot of variables here, right? And I haven't even talked about the weather. I'm sure he'll handle it, because he's one of the best players in NFL history. But has the elder Manning consistently given us great bad-weather games? Deciding whether and when to bite on Peyton will be a fantasy-draft-defining decision in every league this year.

6. NFL-wide fallout. Right off the bat, you hear that Tebow will be traded. First off, good luck with that. The Broncos' brass has done everything possible to tell the world how little it thinks of Tebow despite all he did for the team last year. Who's going to pay much for him now? Jacksonville Jaguars GM Gene Smith has stated fairly unequivocally that he isn't interested. I guess the Miami Dolphins could give it a whirl just for the fun of it. But it seems mighty unlikely that Tebow ends up on a team where a starting gig is guaranteed, and that completely knocks the fantasy wind from his sails. He's a late-round flyer at best. Alex Smith is likely to return to the San Francisco 49ers, which puts a damper on excitement surrounding Mario Manningham and Randy Moss. Jake Locker can go back to being the QB of the future (and perhaps the present) and Matt Hasselbeck doesn't need to look for a new zip code. (I'd love to see Locker play well enough this summer to win that Tennessee Titans gig, and watch him and Kenny Britt hook up regularly this year.) And there are further ripples, including whether any of Manning's other erstwhile teammates will join him a mile high.

For now, though, let's bask in this excitement. There are questions we won't have answered for months and months, though it will be fun to speculate. Fantasy drafts will be won and lost based on these risk/reward assessments. And Manning will either write a dashing postscript to his Hall of Fame career or go down hard, bringing John Elway with him. But you know one thing: It won't be boring.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Five options for Tim Tebow

Miami, Jacksonville, New England among teams that may be interested

By Mel Kiper | ESPN Insider

So, Stephen Ross, you want to make a splash, eh?
The Miami Dolphins owner is on the record as saying he wanted to make waves this offseason. But let's be honest: We know he was talking about Peyton Manning, not the guy Manning is set to replace.
But it makes sense applied the other way around.
When you're talking about the future of Tim Tebow, "splash" is the key word. It's attention, waves, commotion, ticket sales. But "splash" with Tebow means something different than short-term success -- and that is something every general manager knows. This isn't intended to be a shot at Tebow, but in assessing his market, you have to realize many evaluators around the league do not share an optimistic view on his viability as a starter, period. He needs time to develop.

Tebow was given the chance to start in Denver, but I still view him as a developmental project as a passer, and that's not a unique stance. So the question is whether a team will trade for him with a "splash" in mind -- i.e., starting him now -- or with development in mind, that willingness to take a long-range approach on a guy with physical talent and incredible intangibles.
<offer>Tebow still has major accuracy concerns, particularly on shorter passes, on which his stride and even his abbreviated windup don't allow him to simply snap off short, accurate throws in a way that quarterbacks must in the league. He also needs more work on reading the game at an advanced level and identifying windows. He's like a pitcher with one great pitch suddenly asked to start, only to realize his repertoire isn't complete. He needs more pitches; he needs to be able to work out of the stretch; he needs time.
I don't see Tebow right now as a guy who draws anything more than a third-round pick, but you have to throw a lot of logic out the window with him, because of his intangibles. And remember, given that market price, Denver might want to wait. But if it is intent to see early, well.
Which teams could make a play?

jac.gif

Jacksonville Jaguars

Let's face it, the Jags angle will never go away. Tebow is a local legend and could go back to the area where he played high school football. The financial viability of acquiring Tebow is the big thing here. He all but ensures that the stadium gets filled. New ownership can't overlook the bottom-line angle here. In terms of performance, the Jags could tell themselves they don't expect to have great quarterback play this season anyway, as they continue to develop Blaine Gabbert. They've also taken on Chad Henne as insurance. If Tebow gets a shot and turns into a player, it's gravy. The fits are obvious. But from a football sense, do you really want to take on another developmental QB?
Until the Jaguars come out and say they have no interest whatsoever, there's no reason not to speculate that they wouldn't. The current personnel situation makes this an entirely unappealing place to develop a passer, but again, Tebow isn't your typical passer.
mia.gif

Miami Dolphins

If Ross really, truly wants to make a splash for the sake of a splash, he at least calls to get a price for Tebow. But let's be clear here: He just hired a coach who has been directing Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' offense. If he wants a QB to be able to run that type of system in any form, Tebow can be viewed only as a developmental candidate. People around the league view the Dolphins as a dangerous team, and for all the stuff that's been said about Jeff Ireland, that roster is in pretty good shape if the Dolphins can get solid quarterback play. This would totally flip the script. But again, it's a major splash.
sfo.gif

San Francisco 49ers

I see this only as a total developmental play. I just think it would be fascinating to put Tebow there with Jim Harbaugh, let Harbaugh go to work on the kid for a couple of years and see what happens. Plus, if the 49ers bring Alex Smith back, they would have no need to run Tebow out there in the short term, unless as part of some special packages.
nwe.gif

New England Patriots

Bill Belichick is as creative as any coach in the league and as unpredictable as anybody making personnel decisions. Based on that alone, you could see him kicking the tires on the idea. Are there some packages the Patriots could run with Tebow? Is there a master plan Josh McDaniels never got to use after drafting Tebow in Denver?
It's hard to see the Broncos moving him to a better team in the AFC, and I doubt the Patriots would give up much to get him, but this is one team that could bring Tebow in and feel absolutely zero pressure to do anything with him in the short term. New England could even work with him, build his price back up, then sell him off. You never know with Belichick, which is why I'd never put it past him.
cle.gif

Cleveland Browns

I think the Browns are content to begin the season with Colt McCoy. And I really don't see this as a move Mike Holmgren would be interested in. But I put them here because they are another team that doesn't have a great sense of its future at QB, and thus deserve to be thrown into the conversation until they say they're not interested.
</offer>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Peyton Manning's fantasy impact

How will Manning, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and others perform?

By Nik Bonaddio and Keith Goldner | numberFire

It's always tough to separate the quarterback from the offense, but the more consistent the quarterback's play, the more accurately we here at numberFire can project the translation. Take Brett Favre, for example. While a legendary quarterback, he was far from consistent, even in his halcyon days playing at Lambeau. Favre left Green Bay for the Jets and had a pretty poor year, leading a passing attack that scored about 30 points less than a league-average offense would have if put in similar situations. Throwing the ball the next year for the Vikings, Favre had the best year of his career, turning that negative-30 into a passing attack that scored 113 points above expectation -- second-best in the league in 2009. A consistent QB, such as Rex Grossman, tends to play a very consistent and predictable level, regardless of his environment. Grossman was below average in Chicago and, sure enough, he's below average in Washington.

Peyton Manning has been extremely consistent throughout the course of his career as well, and yes, this is perhaps the only time you'll ever see Rex mentioned in the same breath as Peyton. Unlike Grossman, however, Manning has been playing at an elite level for an extended period of time, even though age is clearly catching up with him. Manning is 36 years old and coming off his least efficient season since 2002. That being said, the 2010 Colts' passing offense still scored 65 points above a league-average offense. If Manning is healthy, we expect him to be dominant -- maybe not the 49-touchdown-passes Manning of old, but dominant by comparison to the rest of the NFL.

But what will be his fantasy impact on the Broncos' offense?

QB Peyton Manning

Assuming Manning plays all 16 games, which is a fair assumption given that he had never missed a snap up until last season, we are projecting him with the following line:
<offer>409/598, 4,398 yards, 32 touchdowns, 15 interceptions

That would be the fifth-most yards thrown for in a season by Manning, and given the trends around passing proficiency in the NFL this may actually be a conservative estimate. Yes, the Broncos ran the ball more than any other team in the NFL last season, and yes, John Fox loves to run the ball, and yes, they will want to protect Manning. If you get a brand-new Lamborghini, though, are you not going to drive it? What's more, when you have one of the most efficient passers in the history of the NFL -- if not the most efficient passer -- what are you going to do? Throw the ball or hand it off to a 30-year-old Willis McGahee (or any other RB the Broncos acquire) 300 times?

Risk: We've touched on the risk already, and in Manning's case it's extremely difficult to project. While he has injury, age and change-of-system concerns, he has been so consistent and so healthy throughout his career. From a pure fantasy perspective and given his current value, Manning is a low-risk, high-reward option. His market value will be in the No. 8-10 range; he will definitely be behind Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Cam Newton and Drew Brees and likely behind several others, including Philip Rivers, Michael Vick, Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning and Tony Romo.

If he doesn't return to his elite level, or is hurt during the season, in standard leagues you will be able to find a suitable replacement-level quarterback. Yet, if you take him after those first four and he returns to anywhere close to his expected level, you will not only have a top-five quarterback, but you will have one of the most consistent fantasy players -- great for teams atop their leagues.

Suggested draft position: No. 6 QB, middle-to-late third round overall.

WR Demaryius Thomas

Thomas has always had the potential, but because of injuries and the lack of a quarterback he has been unable to thrive in a pro offense to date. This season will be his third in the NFL, and yet he has only started seven games. Still, Thomas had somewhat of a coming-out party last season, as he developed chemistry with Tim Tebow. But that was then, and this is now. So the question is, how much will Manning help Thomas? Manning has turned so many WRs into fantasy gold: Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley, Austin Collie, Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon and the list goes on. Nobody (with the possible exception of Eric Decker) will benefit more from the Manning signing than Thomas.

Thomas is a big-play receiver, not a possession receiver. So far in his career he has a mundane catch rate of 50.5 percent, but that was negatively affected by Tebow's subpar completion percentage. That will go up with Manning throwing to him, although not dramatically, as even Pierre "Stone Hands" Garcon still managed a 54 percent catch rate with Peyton in Indy.

Projection with Tebow: 53 receptions, 773 yards, 6 TDs
Projection with Manning: 73 receptions, 956 yards, 8 TDs

Risk: Thomas, by his very nature, is a high-risk, high-reward receiver. Any big-play receiver with a low catch rate will have his good weeks and bad weeks. In addition to the risk associated with Manning, Thomas has his injury concerns. Yes, Thomas has a lot of potential with Manning at the helm, but unless you have a stable roster and a risky pick to play with, we would stay away from him. People will inevitably see the upside of Manning and reach for his "No. 1 receiver."

Suggested draft position: No. 22 WR, sixth round overall.

<hr style="width: 50%;">​

WR Eric Decker
Decker actually may have the most upside out of all the Broncos' receivers. He is a speedy receiver with great route-running ability and a knack for finding holes in the defense. He doesn't have much NFL experience to use as a historical starting point, so we'll have to use his current form -- even if his ridiculously awful 46 percent catch rate is more Tebow's fault than anything. Decker added less than a point to the Broncos' offense per reception, a true mark of a possession receiver like Stokley, Collie or Clark. Decker will be Manning's go-to receiver, and his fantasy value will skyrocket, especially in PPR formats. Expect a 65-plus percent catch rate and 80-plus receptions.

Projection with Tebow: 59 receptions, 744 yards, 5 TDs
Projection with Manning: 88 receptions, 1,022 yards, 8 TDs

Risk: Outside of the risk associated with Manning, and a history of foot injuries, Decker is an extremely low-risk receiver with Manning under center. Tebow made him a boom-or-bust-type target, but in a more stable and reliable offense Decker will thrive.

Suggested draft position: No. 20 receiver, late-fifth or early-sixth round overall.

RB Willis McGahee

McGahee proved that he still has what it takes to be an every-down back in the NFL, despite being 30 years old and despite the horrific BCS injury from what feels forever ago. More than just about any player, he greatly benefited from the Tebow offense and Fox's propensity for running the ball. McGahee has been extremely consistent from an efficiency perspective throughout his career. He posts a success rate around 36-40 percent and teams lose about 0.07 points below expectation per rush attempt while he carries the ball. Though the team efficiency is below league average, that production is actually above-average for a running back. This is because passing is generally the more efficient option to rushing in the NFL.

Simply because the Broncos will run the ball less doesn't mean their running game will suffer. Manning-run offenses actually run the ball effectively, thanks to Manning's ability to read the defense and adjust accordingly. The Colts' running game under Manning only had one season below the league-average rushing efficiency, and that was way back in 2002.

One more thing: Tebow will most likely not be there, vulturing goal-line carries, and we doubt they will subject Manning's neck to goal-line QB sneaks, which should mean more TDs for McGahee.

Projection with Tebow: 245 attempts, 1,096 yards, 4 TDs
Projection with Manning: 190 attempts, 882 yards, 8 TDs

Risk: McGahee is actually a pretty low-risk option, with the two question marks being the potential return of Knowshon Moreno and how well McGahee's body holds up. With a probable decrease in carries overall, it's unlikely that McGahee will have as productive a season in 2012. Given his performance last year, it's likely that McGahee will at least be given the opportunity to be the feature back, in which case he is a solid RB2 or flex option.

Suggested draft position: No. 19 RB, mid-to-late fifth round overall.
</offer>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Tebow can only hurt others' values

This is exactly what Mark Sanchez needed.

The New York Jets traded fourth- and sixth-round draft picks in the upcoming NFL draft to the Denver Broncos in exchange for Tim Tebow and a seventh-rounder. This, of course, purges Tebow from the team he rallied to the playoffs last season, in the wake of the Broncos signing free agent Peyton Manning. It also adds Tebow to an organization that's been sending mixed messages to Sanchez for months.

First, the Jets threw their hat in the ring for Manning. Upon being quickly rebuffed, they extended Sanchez's contract, which saved the team salary-cap room in the short term but also guaranteed Sanchez $20.5 million and which was billed as an overt commitment to the fourth-year starter. And now general manager Mike Tannenbaum has acquired the living, walking, breathing media circus that is Mr. Tebow. Man.

Ideally, this move doesn't do much to the fantasy values of any Jets players. Ideally, Tebow joins the club as a No. 3 QB, a gadget player who comes on the field for five plays per game, a la Brad Smith. He runs the Wildcat; he lines up at halfback; he lines up at H-back. He probably steals a couple of rushing TDs from Shonn Greene and whomever else New York lines up in the backfield, but he doesn't take away enough yardage to be a death knell for Greene. Sanchez remains the thrower in this offense; Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller sink or swim as borderline fantasy starters based on Sanchez's performance; and everyone goes home happy, locked arm in arm.

But let's just say things don't always go ideally in the Big Apple.

One thing you heard early this week was that acquiring Tebow would be a good way to unite a divided Jets locker room because Tebow is such a good guy. Are you kidding me? There are already grumblers in that locker room who don't like Sanchez; they think he hasn't earned what he's been given. How many Jets losses will it take for fickle New York fans to clamor for Tebow? How many losses will it take for some of the players to start grousing?

In reality, when assessing Jets players for fantasy in 2012, I think we'd be terribly remiss if we didn't consider the possibility that Tebow will wind up taking legit snaps under center for large chunks of games. Am I promising you Tebow will start at some point this upcoming season? I'm not. But, even if we give him a 25 percent chance (and I might go higher than that), it has to be part of the equation. If it happens, it will have a fine effect on his fantasy value (because, if nothing else is true about Tebow, he is a significantly better fantasy QB than he is a real-life QB at this point in his career), but it likely would be a crusher for the other guys. Greene would lose most of his potential red zone carries. Holmes and Keller would have to catch passes from a guy who has completed 47.3 percent of his NFL throws, and Sanchez would be riding pine.

Now, it's not as though anyone viewed Sanchez as much of a fantasy asset at this point anyway. But, until today, I rated Greene as the No. 29 RB and Holmes the No. 30 WR in my top 100 players for fantasy in '12. However, now I'm lowering each guy. It might turn out that I was already too high on Greene because I still have a strong suspicion that the Jets are going to add another early-down back into their mix before August. I dropped him to No. 31, a full round's worth of demerit. Just the prospect of mercurial Holmes getting his brain wrapped around catching Tebow's dying quails dunks him to No. 31 among WRs, also more than a full round's drop.

Listen, can I imagine Tebow sitting the entire season, Sanchez righting himself and the Jets' skill players winding up being a harmonious treasure trove of fantasy value? Sure. But the fact that I can imagine the alternative -- pure New York-media-generated chaos -- makes me ultrawary.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Green-Ellis maintains goal-line value

We've seen exactly what the value of being Tom Brady's goal-line caddie is during the past two years. Now we're about to see how that translates to the Queen City.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis, fantasy darling, has signed a three-year contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, leaving behind a sweet gig with the New England Patriots that saw him score 24 TDs the past two seasons combined. It's not a bad thing to be the short-yardage option for a historically great offense, and BJGE is living proof: Over the past two seasons, he has 50 carries inside an opponent's 10-yard line; according to Stats LLC, that's sixth-most in the league:

Most carries inside opponent's 10, Past 2 seasons

<table><thead><tr><th></th><th> Carries </th><th> TDs </th></tr><tbody><tr class="last"><td> Michael Turner, ATL </td><td> 76 </td><td> 19 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> Arian Foster, HOU </td><td> 66 </td><td> 21 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> Cedric Benson, CIN </td><td> 53 </td><td> 10 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> Rashard Mendenhall, PIT </td><td> 53 </td><td> 20 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> Mike Tolbert, SD </td><td> 51 </td><td> 18 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> BenJarvus Green-Ellis, NE </td><td> 50 </td><td> 19 </td></tr></tbody></table>

Indeed, 15 of the Law Firm's 29 career rushing scores have come from inside an opponent's 2. He is a goal-line specialist's goal-line specialist, and his fantasy value is almost certainly going to rise and fall depending on how many TDs he's able to score, because he's not a touch or yardage machine. The five men above him on the list above averaged 300 total touches from scrimmage per season; Green-Ellis averaged 216, and last year he managed a fairly paltry 3.7 yards per carry. This isn't a particularly dynamic player.

And that should be familiar to Bengals fans, because neither is Cedric Benson, the departing starter. Like Benson, Green-Ellis doesn't catch the ball, he doesn't have extreme burst, and he doesn't make many tacklers miss. Unlike Benson, though, BJGE doesn't fumble. Ever. If you are playing a football simulation game and you own Green-Ellis and he fumbles, ask for your money back. In 536 career NFL touches, not only has the Law Firm not lost a fumble, he hasn't fumbled at all. I'm not trying to paint Benson as some hellacious ball-security nightmare, but some fumbles is more than no fumbles.

This change is probably good for Green-Ellis' fantasy value. Had he stayed in New England, BJGE was in danger of being squeezed out by Stevan Ridley, who looked like a better, more dynamic and frankly more powerful player by the end of last season, and possibly by Shane Vereen, who was limited by injury for most of '11. With the Bengals, Green-Ellis goes back to roughly the same role he enjoyed for most of the past two years with the Pats. He'll be the first- and second-down back more often than he isn't (unless Cincy still decides to go out and draft an early-round RB in April), he'll come off on third down unless it's third and very short, he won't catch passes, he won't fumble and he'll vulture most of the team's short scores. As you can see above, Benson got a lot of high-value carries the past two seasons for the Bengals. He simply wasn't very adept at converting them.

Bernard Scott is the other man in the backfield equation for Cincinnati, and he's a more talented player than Green-Ellis. Plus, at 5-foot-10, 198 pounds, Scott is about the same height and only about 15 pounds lighter than BJGE, which makes the notion that this is a "big back/small back" arrangement seem simplistic. The fact is, whereas Green-Ellis has been one of the most reliable players in the NFL the past two seasons, Scott has been nicked up constantly and hasn't made the big plays that his talent would seem to prescribe. Heck, Brian Leonard was the Bengals' third-down back ahead of Scott at times this past year. Swapping out Benson for Green-Ellis is a net gain for Scott; he goes back to being a deeper-league sleeper. BJGE's game isn't as versatile even as the limited Benson's, which gives Scott more of an opening to break out. I'm guessing he eclipses his career-high 125 touches from scrimmage this year, even though he's established himself as a very strong kickoff returner. But Green-Ellis certainly seems like the guy you'd rather own here, and he takes a nice rise in my current top 100 players for fantasy in '12.

As for what's left behind with the Patriots? My ranks had already assumed the Law Firm was gone, so I already had Ridley in the mix as a top-100 player. I liked what I saw from him in limited action in the second half of last year, though when he fumbled in the regular season finale and then again in a blowout playoff win, he found Bill Belichick's doghouse very quickly. That fact, and the fact that Belichick doesn't do fantasy owners favors these days by consistently using the same RBs the same ways from week to week, makes Ridley as a fantasy starter a dicey proposition. Vereen should get a look, Danny Woodhead is still around, and don't be surprised if the Patriots add at least one more player to the depth chart, too.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Where the Tebow deal makes sense

Yes, it will be a circus, but Tebow brings scheme potential to New York

By Gary Horton | Scouts Inc.

At the end of last season, it would have been unfathomable to think that Tim Tebow would begin the following season with a different team. But after signing Peyton Manning, the Denver Broncos no longer had a need for Tebow, and John Elway had perfect opening to deal him. In return for fourth- and sixth-round picks, Denver will ship Tebow (and a seventh-round pick) to the New York Jets.

For the Jets, there were a couple reasons to make this deal. And they have to do with more than the buzz factor.

The first is that New York has the ideal offensive coordinator in Tony Sparano to tailor a package to Tebow's strengths. The former Miami Dolphins coach instituted the Wildcat in Miami and knows how to run it. Coach Rex Ryan is also a big supporter of the Wildcat. He used it with Brad Smith, before Smith left for Buffalo, and last year less effectively with Shonn Greene.

After a season in Denver in which the Broncos had to create an option-read offense for Tebow, it's clear that he isn't ready to run a conventional drop-back offense where he has to make multiple reads and diagnose coverages. What's great about the Wildcat is that it would create easy reads for Tebow. So don't assume the Jets will use Tebow simply as a runner in the Wildcat. Throws can be made.

Although he isn't a typical Wildcat QB (wide receiver or running back), Tebow has the athleticism, running ability and sleight of hand to be effective. He is more than capable of reading a linebacker, making a one-on-one read on the outside and tucking it and running if a pass isn't there.

A package with Tebow could work wonders for the Jets' running game, which is coming into the season with only the injury-prone Greene and the unproven Joe McKnight in the backfield. LaDainian Tomlinson is unlikely to return. The Jets' offense stalled at various points last season. Bringing in Tebow to run 10-12 plays a game could give it a spark, both in third-and-short situations and in the red zone. Tebow's reads would be simplified because defenses have to respect his running ability. And remember, the presence of a running QB will actually increase the rushing average from the primary running back, not detract from it.

So the football reasons make sense, even as we can acknowledge Tebow has miles to go as a passer.

And sure, this move also works because the Jets are a team that loves to make a splash, and they feel they can handle the waves. They may feel as though they've lost some of New York City to the New York Giants and this signing would get them back in the conversation and on the front (and back) pages of newspapers.

<!-- begin inline 2 -->AccuScore 2012 Win Projection for New York Jets

<table><thead><tr><th>NEW YORK JETS</th><th>W</th><th>L</th><th>WIN%</th><th>PLAYOFF%</th><th>WIN DIV%</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td>Baseline</td><td>7.3</td><td>8.7</td><td>45.6%</td><td>14.8%</td><td>3.0%</td></tr><tr class="last"><td>w/ Tim Tebow</td><td>7.7</td><td>8.3</td><td>48.1%</td><td>21.8%</td><td>5.1%</td></tr><tr class="last"><td>IMPACT</td><td>0.4</td><td>-0.4</td><td>2.5%</td><td>7.0%</td><td>2.1%</td></tr></tbody></table>

<!-- end inline 2 -->

But there are a couple of problems with the move as well.

The first is that it likely takes Mark Sanchez off the field when Tebow is in the game. The starting QB did just get an extension but he has a fragile psyche and may not be happy on the sideline for 10 or more plays a game. Unless Tebow is used as a runner in regular fashion, his presence will also signal to the defense that a trick play is coming, which will diminish Tebow's effectiveness. That may sound simple from a scouting standpoint, but it's reality. If he isn't used effectively as a runner, he's limited.

Further, Tebow is a very polarizing figure on and off the field. The New York media could be tough for him to deal with -- successful or not -- and the Jets' locker room, which had its share of issues last season, may not accept him as well as the Broncos' did. Antonio Cromartie has already tweeted that the Jets didn't need Tebow. How will he and other Jets feel now that Tebow is on board?

Finally, if Sanchez struggles, the calls for Tebow to start will be loud and constant. The jury is still out on Sanchez, who still has a lot of football left, and fans will be intrigued by what Tebow can bring. If you use Tebow, you could break the rhythm of your starter. If you don't, you'll take questions about why you added him in the first place.

Overall, this deal still makes some sense for both sides. The Broncos get rid of the Tebow circus and turn the page to the Manning era in Denver, while the Jets get a developmental quarterback and asset they can use in the Wildcat in the short-term. If he develops into a viable quarterback in the longer term, it's a bonus.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fantasy football 2012 rankings

These ranks are subject to dramatic change as the free-agent and draft seasons advance on us. I'll keep them updated when major NFL personnel changes happen. I also reserve the right to change my mind on hard-to-rank players like Cam Newton and Rob Gronkowski, whom some readers will instantly howl are "too low" at their respective positions. (If you know my work, you know I tend toward conservative estimates of amazing-season repeatability.) At this point it's all grist for the mill. Let the debates begin!

[Editor's Note: Rankings were updated March 21 to reflect Tim Tebow trade to the Jets and BenJarvus Green-Ellis signing with the Bengals.] Fantasy Football Top 100

<inline1>
<table><thead><tr><th> Rank </th><th> Player </th><th> Pos. Rank </th><th> Comment </th></tr><tbody><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 1 </td><td align="left"> Arian Foster, HOU </td><td align="center"> RB1 </td><td align="left"> Big contract, two-year consistency puts him at the top. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 2 </td><td align="left"> Ray Rice, BAL </td><td align="center"> RB2 </td><td align="left"> Pretty nice now that he's the goal-line back, too. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 3 </td><td align="left"> LeSean McCoy, PHI </td><td align="center"> RB3 </td><td align="left"> Does Vick take some of the TDs back? </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 4 </td><td align="left"> Aaron Rodgers, GB </td><td align="center"> QB1 </td><td align="left"> Everything went ultra-perfect, and he still wasn't VBD's No. 1 in '11. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 5 </td><td align="left"> Calvin Johnson, DET </td><td align="center"> WR1 </td><td align="left"> No reason the Lions' aerial circus slows down now. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 6 </td><td align="left"> Maurice Jones-Drew, JAC </td><td align="center"> RB4 </td><td align="left"> Could he break down? Yep. So could every RB on the planet. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 7 </td><td align="left"> Matt Forte, CHI </td><td align="center"> RB5 </td><td align="left"> Watch out for a potential holdout. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 8 </td><td align="left"> Chris Johnson, TEN </td><td align="center"> RB6 </td><td align="left"> Underplayed story is weakness in TEN o-line, which must be addressed. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 9 </td><td align="left"> Tom Brady, NE </td><td align="center"> QB2 </td><td align="left"> In three of his past four healthy years, he has 36, 39 and 50 TD passes. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 10 </td><td align="left"> Andre Johnson, HOU </td><td align="center"> WR2 </td><td align="left"> Back to year-to-year injury worries? </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 11 </td><td align="left"> Drew Brees, NO </td><td align="center"> QB3 </td><td align="left"> The contract thing will get worked out, but he's losing weapons. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 12 </td><td align="left"> Larry Fitzgerald, ARI </td><td align="center"> WR3 </td><td align="left"> Unbelievable talent, and produced a great season with substandard QB play. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 13 </td><td align="left"> Matthew Stafford, DET </td><td align="center"> QB4 </td><td align="left"> Seems like a long time ago people were grousing about his injuries. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 14 </td><td align="left"> Ryan Mathews, SD </td><td align="center"> RB7 </td><td align="left"> Two injury-marred years, but the job should be his. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 15 </td><td align="left"> Greg Jennings, GB </td><td align="center"> WR4 </td><td align="left"> I still prefer him to Jordy Nelson, despite their '11 stat disparity. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 16 </td><td align="left"> Marshawn Lynch, SEA </td><td align="center"> RB8 </td><td align="left"> Was the end of '11 simply a contract run? </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 17 </td><td align="left"> Rob Gronkowski, NE </td><td align="center"> TE1 </td><td align="left"> I hate putting him even this high, but the dude has 28 TDs in two pro seasons. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 18 </td><td align="left"> DeMarco Murray, DAL </td><td align="center"> RB9 </td><td align="left"> Felix Jones is still in the mix, and Murray is an injury risk, but still. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 19 </td><td align="left"> Frank Gore, SF </td><td align="center"> RB10 </td><td align="left"> Role diminished in the second half of '11 with Kendall Hunter in the mix. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 20 </td><td align="left"> Darren McFadden, OAK </td><td align="center"> RB11 </td><td align="left"> So much ability, but red flags abound because of all the injuries. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 21 </td><td align="left"> Mike Wallace, PIT </td><td align="center"> WR5 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 22 </td><td align="left"> Jimmy Graham, NO </td><td align="center"> TE2 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 23 </td><td align="left"> Cam Newton, CAR </td><td align="center"> QB5 </td><td align="left"> I'll be doing tons of Cam analysis this summer, and reserve the right to change my mind. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 24 </td><td align="left"> Jamaal Charles, KC </td><td align="center"> RB12 </td><td align="left"> Coming off torn ACL, Peyton Hillis makes J-Mail a TD nightmare. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 25 </td><td align="left"> Steven Jackson, STL </td><td align="center"> RB13 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 26 </td><td align="left"> A.J. Green, CIN </td><td align="center"> WR6 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 27 </td><td align="left"> Michael Vick, PHI </td><td align="center"> QB6 </td><td align="left"> The issue with Vick will always be whether he can play close to a full season. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 28 </td><td align="left"> Ahmad Bradshaw, NYG </td><td align="center"> RB14 </td><td align="left"> He shook off foot concerns, and should have a heavier load with Brandon Jacobs gone. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 29 </td><td align="left"> Wes Welker, NE </td><td align="center"> WR7 </td><td align="left"> Wipe away the ACL year and he's averaged 117 catches per year as a Patriot. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 30 </td><td align="left"> Hakeem Nicks, NYG </td><td align="center"> WR8 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 31 </td><td align="left"> Roddy White, ATL </td><td align="center"> WR9 </td><td align="left"> I love Roddy. But I love Julio, too. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 32 </td><td align="left"> Julio Jones, ATL </td><td align="center"> WR10 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 33 </td><td align="left"> Fred Jackson, BUF </td><td align="center"> RB15 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 34 </td><td align="left"> Roy Helu, WAS </td><td align="center"> RB16 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 35 </td><td align="left"> Steve Smith, CAR </td><td align="center"> WR11 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 36 </td><td align="left"> Brandon Marshall, CHI </td><td align="center"> WR12 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 37 </td><td align="left"> Jordy Nelson, GB </td><td align="center"> WR13 </td><td align="left"> He's good, but I'm not chasing last year's TDs. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 38 </td><td align="left"> Dez Bryant, DAL </td><td align="center"> WR14 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 39 </td><td align="left"> Demaryius Thomas, DEN </td><td align="center"> WR15 </td><td align="left"> He's an injury risk, but Peyton also gives him No. 1 overall WR upside. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 40 </td><td align="left"> Kenny Britt, TEN </td><td align="center"> WR16 </td><td align="left"> It's a leap of faith, but I still consider him borderline elite. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 41 </td><td align="left"> Michael Turner, ATL </td><td align="center"> RB17 </td><td align="left"> I know. He was the No. 5 RB in fantasy last year. But the cliff is coming. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 42 </td><td align="left"> Reggie Bush, MIA </td><td align="center"> RB18 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 43 </td><td align="left"> Dwayne Bowe, KC </td><td align="center"> WR17 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 44 </td><td align="left"> Vincent Jackson, TB </td><td align="center"> WR18 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 45 </td><td align="left"> Marques Colston, NO </td><td align="center"> WR19 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 46 </td><td align="left"> Miles Austin, DAL </td><td align="center"> WR20 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 47 </td><td align="left"> Eli Manning, NYG </td><td align="center"> QB7 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 48 </td><td align="left"> Victor Cruz, NYG </td><td align="center"> WR21 </td><td align="left"> And he was the No. 4 WR. I'm simply scared of the one-year wonder factor. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 49 </td><td align="left"> Brandon Lloyd, NE </td><td align="center"> WR22 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 56 </td><td align="left"> Peyton Manning, DEN </td><td align="center"> QB8 </td><td align="left"> So much risk, so much reward a mile high. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 50 </td><td align="left"> Percy Harvin, MIN </td><td align="center"> WR23 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 51 </td><td align="left"> Jonathan Stewart, CAR </td><td align="center"> RB19 </td><td align="left"> This should be his final season toiling in the world's most frustrating platoon. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 52 </td><td align="left"> DeAngelo Williams, CAR </td><td align="center"> RB20 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 53 </td><td align="left"> Darren Sproles, NO </td><td align="center"> RB21 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 54 </td><td align="left"> Michael Bush, FA </td><td align="center"> RB22 </td><td align="left"> Obviously a lot depends on where he lands, but he figures to be a TD maker. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 55 </td><td align="left"> Tony Romo, DAL </td><td align="center"> QB9 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 57 </td><td align="left"> Philip Rivers, SD </td><td align="center"> QB10 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 58 </td><td align="left"> Adrian Peterson, MIN </td><td align="center"> RB23 </td><td align="left"> Opinions on AP will vary wildly until we get true August medical reports. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 59 </td><td align="left"> Jeremy Maclin, PHI </td><td align="center"> WR24 </td><td align="left"> He'd have been more attractive had DeSean Jackson left Philly. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 60 </td><td align="left"> Willis McGahee, DEN </td><td align="center"> RB24 </td><td align="left"> Will the play-calling change with Peyton around? And does he catch it enough? </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 61 </td><td align="left"> Steve Johnson, BUF </td><td align="center"> WR25 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 62 </td><td align="left"> Trent Richardson, -- </td><td align="center"> RB25 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 63 </td><td align="left"> Jahvid Best, DET </td><td align="center"> RB26 </td><td align="left"> Listen, I know he's my binky. I don't trust Leshoure returning from a torn Achilles', though. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 64 </td><td align="left"> Antonio Brown, PIT </td><td align="center"> WR26 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 65 </td><td align="left"> Mark Ingram, NO </td><td align="center"> RB27 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 66 </td><td align="left"> Beanie Wells, ARI </td><td align="center"> RB28 </td><td align="left"> It's hard to trust those knees. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 67 </td><td align="left"> DeSean Jackson, PHI </td><td align="center"> WR27 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 68 </td><td align="left"> Antonio Gates, SD </td><td align="center"> TE3 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 69 </td><td align="left"> BenJarvus Green-Ellis, CIN </td><td align="center"> RB29 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 70 </td><td align="left"> Peyton Hillis, KC </td><td align="center"> RB30 </td><td align="left"> He was always overvalued last season, but now he could be undervalued. He's 26. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 71 </td><td align="left"> Robert Meachem, SD </td><td align="center"> WR28 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 72 </td><td align="left"> Eric Decker, DEN </td><td align="center"> WR29 </td><td align="left"> Goes from unranked to a 10-team-league starter. Ah, the promise of Peyton. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 73 </td><td align="left"> Jason Witten, DAL </td><td align="center"> TE4 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 74 </td><td align="left"> C.J. Spiller, BUF </td><td align="center"> RB31 </td><td align="left"> He had 21 carries in his first 10 games before Jackson's injury. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 75 </td><td align="left"> Pierre Garcon, WAS </td><td align="center"> WR30 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 76 </td><td align="left"> Shonn Greene, NYJ </td><td align="center"> RB32 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 77 </td><td align="left"> Isaac Redman, PIT </td><td align="center"> RB33 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 78 </td><td align="left"> Jermichael Finley, GB </td><td align="center"> TE5 </td><td align="left"> One of the few elite TEs who didn't fully participate in the "Year of the Tight End." </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 79 </td><td align="left"> Vernon Davis, SF </td><td align="center"> TE6 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 80 </td><td align="left"> Toby Gerhart, MIN </td><td align="center"> RB34 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 81 </td><td align="left"> Stevan Ridley, NE </td><td align="center"> RB35 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 82 </td><td align="left"> James Starks, GB </td><td align="center"> RB36 </td><td align="left"> I don't believe in Ryan Grant, but Green Bay doesn't run enough. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 83 </td><td align="left"> Ben Tate, HOU </td><td align="center"> RB37 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 84 </td><td align="left"> Santonio Holmes, NYJ </td><td align="center"> WR31 </td><td align="left"> One gets the sense that if the Jets could jettison him, they would. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 85 </td><td align="left"> Ryan Williams, ARI </td><td align="center"> RB38 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 86 </td><td align="left"> 49ers Defense, SF </td><td align="center"> DEF1 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 87 </td><td align="left"> Matt Ryan, ATL </td><td align="center"> QB11 </td><td align="left"> I love his receivers, but he's yet to turn in an elite season. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 88 </td><td align="left"> Fred Davis, WAS </td><td align="center"> TE7 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 89 </td><td align="left"> Ravens Defense, BAL </td><td align="center"> DEF2 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 90 </td><td align="left"> Donald Brown, IND </td><td align="center"> RB39 </td><td align="left"> Not a terrible sleeper; he averaged 4.8 yards per carry and Joseph Addai is gone. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 91 </td><td align="left"> Anquan Boldin, BAL </td><td align="center"> WR32 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 92 </td><td align="left"> Pierre Thomas, NO </td><td align="center"> RB40 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 93 </td><td align="left"> Matt Schaub, HOU </td><td align="center"> QB12 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 94 </td><td align="left"> Aaron Hernandez, NE </td><td align="center"> TE8 </td><td align="left"> Lloyd's presence makes this trickier for a No. 2 TE. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 95 </td><td align="left"> Bears Defense, CHI </td><td align="center"> DEF3 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 96 </td><td align="left"> Montario Hardesty, CLE </td><td align="center"> RB41 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 97 </td><td align="left"> LeGarrette Blount, TB </td><td align="center"> RB42 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 98 </td><td align="left"> Josh Freeman, TB </td><td align="center"> QB13 </td><td align="left"></td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 99 </td><td align="left"> Denarius Moore, OAK </td><td align="center"> WR33 </td><td align="left"> I love his talent, but Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jacoby Ford, Louis Murphy … and Carson Palmer. </td></tr><tr class="last"><td align="center"> 100 </td><td align="left"> Torrey Smith, BAL </td><td align="center"> WR34 </td></tr></tbody></table></inline1>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Draft 2012: Pro Day Roundup

Just like the Combine, Pro Day workouts give numbered results to supplement what prospects produce on the field during games. With numerous high-profile invitees sitting out their first-impression Combine workout, Pro Days have a heightened sense of importance for participants to perform up to or beyond the athleticism they showed on Saturdays. We are around the midway point of post-season workouts so let's look at who has impressed or underperformed thus far.

Name-brand

Stanford QB Andrew Luck -- On a windy day in Palo Alto, Luck showed brilliant command of his Pro Day workout by completing 45-of-48 passes. Two incompletions were dropped, and the third came on an overthrow. The style in which Luck orchestrated his variety of throws was most impressive, with the majority coming after movements in the pocket. It is something many QB prospects do not implement enough at Pro Days, since most passes at the next level will be thrown in a muddled pocket. It did not matter if Luck was forced to flow to his left or right, he consistently squared his shoulders and placed the ball in a catchable position with efficient velocity. Some have questioned Luck's arm strength, claiming he guides too many throws. I don't buy it. Combined with pre-throw anticipation, his motion is so effortless that passes look placed. That kind of touch and awareness is a positive in my book. More information surfaced yesterday that, at Stanford, Luck called one formation and chose from three plays at the line of scrimmage. Most NFL quarterbacks don't even have that kind of responsibility. There is no doubting Robert Griffin III as an elite prospect, but I would draft Andrew Luck with the first pick every day of the week.

Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon -- After sitting out most of the Combine with a tweaked hamstring, Blackmon showed excellent straight-line speed with a sub-4.45 forty while weighing in eight pounds heavier (215) than he did in Indianapolis. This time will be adjusted, with teams likely adding around two hundredths of a second, but anything under 4.5 is a stellar result. Blackmon has the necessary speed to be a vertical threat, but has yet to show it due to the Big 12 off-coverages that repeatedly offered short completions. However, Blackmon flashed downfield playmaking ability when breaking first contact and keeping distance from trailing defensive backs for long after-catch runs. Blackmon's catch radius and skills to adjust to throws (35.5" vertical) are undeniably impressive. With that said, I still question if he can dominate press coverage like he did facing seven-yard cushions. Many will definitively say Blackmon deserves a top-ten selection and fits in the category of other elite prospects (A.J. Green, Julio Jones). I love Blackmon's physical style, but not enough to put him in that group and doubt he can consistently produce like a top-15 NFL wide receiver.

Baylor QB Robert Griffin III -- Griffin's Pro Day lost a little luster after the Redskins went all-in for the No. 2 pick, making it seemingly obvious that he's already got his next team. But that did not stop the Baylor quarterback from putting on a show. Griffin threw around 82 passes, the first 20 to still targets, and completed 76 of them. This result was expected in a scripted workout, but the pace at which Griffin fired off throws was thoroughly impressive. No one questions Griffin's arm talent, especially on deep sideline throws or when testing coverage downfield. Griffin looked more refined in his stance, with his elbows compact pre-release rather than parallel to his feet like Troy Smith. Still, the few questions I have on Griffin were impossible to answer in a Pro Day setting. After his initial drop, Griffin's footwork lacks purpose when his first read is taken away. The steps are inconsistent, either choppy or a single stride. The athlete in Griffin momentarily takes over but in Washington's style of offense this is close to a non-issue. I still prefer Luck's ability to handle protection assignments pre-snap and decisive movements in tight spaces, but Griffin possesses every quality of an elite QB talent.

Stanford TE Coby Fleener -- At 6'6/241, Fleener put on a clinic with a 4.45 forty and 37" vertical while standing on his 27 bench reps from the Combine. After four months, Fleener's high ankle sprain suffered in the Fiesta Bowl was said to be 90 percent healed. From an outside perspective that is a long timetable to return to full health, but it was a positive sign that Fleener fully participated in the workout after slipping in the three-cone drill. Fleener can stretch the field from the in-line position or out in the slot as a Joker, but Fleener is far from complete. He is a willing blocker with excellent length but has not shown an ability to consistently win in one-on-one situations at the line of scrimmage. Fleener overextends far too often, but blocking is one of the easier skills to obtain especially for a willing player. Where I stop short of comparing Fleener to Rob Gronkowski is his toughness at the catch point. Fleener allows smaller defensive backs to out-position him at the catch point and has not yet learned to effectively use his size. He is not a revolutionary prospect since he rounds his routes like most tight ends, but Fleener is a likely first-round pick with an amazing set of traits to build on.

Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu -- The Pro Day effect elevated Sanu's forty time to 4.41 after registering in the 4.65 range at the Combine. He plays much closer to the latter. A large target at 6'2/211 pounds, Sanu shines in traffic while coming down with contested catches. He is adept at sitting in soft zones or creating separation with fluidity and smoothness in his routes while generating just enough space at the catch point. Sanu's acceleration worries me after registering a 10-yard split in the 1.65 range, but the way he absorbs contact off the line bodes well for NFL success. The question is if Sanu's skill-set offers enough special qualities to be drafted before the third round. For a team that is in need of an underneath to intermediate receiver, Sanu would instantly contribute and flashes toughness after the catch.

Georgia TE Orson Charles -- The receiving tight end shows strength when facing physical defensive backs and a burst after the catch, but Charles' workout numbers were close to dreadful. With heavy winds Charles ran a 4.75 and a 4.90 against along with a 30.5" vertical, 7.29 three-cone, 4.75 short shuttle, and a 9'5" broad jump. Aside from the forty, none of those test results would have placed Charles higher than eighth among participating Combine tight ends. Charles flashes fluidity in pads and at worst plays at the speed of these times, but I cannot deny being surprised by these poor results. He is a mismatch with linebackers or defensive backs, but does not have the elite athletic upside I previously thought. These numbers do not coincide with a top-50 pick.
<!--RW-->

Baylor WR Kendall Wright -- The difference between Wright's 4.43 Pro Day forty time and Sanu's is that Wright constantly plays at that speed. After struggling with his starts on the electronic system at the Combine, Wright shaved nearly two-tenths of a second off his time. The crispness in Wright's route running with little wasted movement allows him to consistently separate from trailing defensive backs. Wright is clearly one of the best route runners in this class and his ability to start from any receiving position at the snap adds to his skill-set. Above all, the way Wright adjusts to throws at full speed makes him stand alone, as he displayed with a trademark one-handed grab along the sideline on Wednesday. No one tracks the ball better downfield. Wright beats press coverage with quick movements and fast hands while keeping defensive backs guessing in off-coverage. The quick-twitch wideout is a combination of Steve Smith and Santonio Holmes with a legitimate chance to be drafted in the top-15 picks.

Washington RB Chris Polk -- Showing up to the Senior Bowl with a soft frame has since improved Polk's work ethic. He is now 12 pounds lighter than in Mobile and is consistently lowering his forty time, from his "official" 4.57 at the Combine to a 4.45-4.51 at the Huskies' Pro Day. Too much was made about Polk not flashing at the Senior Bowl in limited contact scenarios. That is not his game. Polk is a patient runner with incredible vision and anticipation to weave in space while breaking tackles on first contact. He is not going to wow evaluators with straight-line, home-run ability like Lamar Miller or David Wilson but Polk is a dependable runner with soft hands. His big plays are not flashy but the vision and burst he possesses will allow those long gains to translate into an NFL setting.

Nebraska DE/DT Jared Crick -- A torn pectoral ended Crick's senior season early, but after completing 26 bench press reps, the injury looks to be fully healed. At 6'4/279 pounds, Crick has some positional versatility at either left end in a 4-3 that moves inside on pass rushing situations or a 3-4 end. He is not the quickest penetrator off the snap, but Crick offers active hands and one of the best motors in the draft. He does not shed with proper timing at the tackle point and lacks the short-area quickness and explosion to consistently make tackles in the backfield. Despite these issues, Crick will grow in the system he is drafted into, with the ability to add or lose weight to fit his role. Before his final season, Crick was considered one of the top senior talents in the country and could be a tremendous value in the second round.

Upward Momentum

Miami (OH) G Brandon Brooks -- This year's biggest Combine snub, Brooks measured in at 6'5/346 and posted outstanding workout numbers: 36 bench reps, 4.98 forty with a 1.71 ten-yard split, 32" vertical, 8'9" broad jump, and 4.52 short shuttle, the latter of which would have led all offensive line Combine participants. A standout during East-West Shrine week, Brooks carries his weight very well while using defensive linemen's momentum against them or creating space with brute strength. Like anyone his size, Brooks needs to fire off the ball lower, but do not be surprised when he is the first non-Combine invite selected, likely in the draft's second day.

Tennessee DE/DT Malik Jackson -- I prefer Jackson at left defensive end in a 4-3 where he can burst off the edge or use persistence and power to create penetration against right tackles. After transferring from USC at 250 pounds, Jackson has efficiently bulked up to 290 -- six more pounds than he weighed in at the Combine. Jackson said himself that he is working toward appealing to 4-3 teams at defensive tackle (where he played his senior season) and has the length (6'5", 33.5" arms) to add even more mass. This kind of positional flexibility would have once drawn a "tweener" label. Instead, it is now considered positive versatility since Jackson consistently wins at any spot along the line. Admittedly, I value Jackson much more than others while giving him a mid second-round grade, but we have seen similar players like Chris Canty, Kendall Langford, and Jason Jones cash in recently. At worst, Jackson should be a fourth-round selection that will grow (or shrink) into his assigned role.

Utah State RB Michael Smith -- Teammate Robert Turbin drew most of the spotlight at Utah State, but Smith offers very intriguing skills as a third-day pick and production to prove it. At 5'8/207, Smith's results were highly impressive: 4.35 forty, 10'6" broad jump, 40.5" vertical, 23 bench press reps. Smith's running style is easy to enjoy, unafraid of contact between the tackles while sticking to his lane or flashing quick lateral movements after one step. His slight hops in traffic prevent him from losing speed while evading contact. His shorter stature forces Smith to go down on first contact often and limits his three-down ability as a pass protector, where he is consistently thrown to the side despite starting in a sound position. Smith will never be a workhorse, but the way he stays between the hashes while delivering long runs is far more preferable than LaMichael James' boundary running style, and for much a cheaper price.

Louisville TE Josh Chichester -- Standing at 6'8/245, the former wide receiver ran a 4.57 forty and leaped 38" on his vertical. Chichester lacks burst out of a three-point stance when blocking or releasing in-line, but gets down the field with long strides. Obviously he stands out as a red-zone target with a wide catch radius while using his body for positioning. Otherwise, Chichester lacks some coordination and will be unable to look fluid in routes that require more than a single break downfield. If he uses his reach when blocking and adds strength to his game, Chichester could be worth a very late-round developmental pick as a slot tight end.

Upcoming Workouts Worth Watching

March 28th - South Carolina (DE/OLB Melvin Ingram, WR Alshon Jeffery)

March 29th - Alabama (RB Trent Richardson, DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw, S Mark Barron), Texas A&M (QB Ryan Tannehill)

March 30th - Arizona St. (QB Brock Osweiler, LB Vontaze Burfict) April 2nd- Tennessee-Chattanooga (QB B.J. Coleman)

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Ten Pre-Draft Trade Candidates

The NFL draft breeds player movement. And not just in terms of rookie picks.

Player personnel executives around the league are currently tweaking rosters to be as least position-needy as possible entering the draft. That way, clubs set themselves up to select the "best players available." By May 1, rosters must be readied for the heart of OTA season.

Veteran player trades were disallowed leading up to and during last year's lockout-affected draft, but in 2010 we saw a whopping 18 trades in the month of April. 24 vets were involved, including Donovan McNabb, Brandon Marshall, Santonio Holmes, Leon Washington, Ted Ginn, Tony Scheffler, and Jason Campbell.

April is the most trade-happy month on the NFL calendar.

Here's an in-depth look at ten pre-draft trade candidates, with some more listed at the end.

1. Bears running back Matt Forte

Forte has done his best to make the organization look bad in repeated ESPN appearances, complaining about his contract status. He was particularly displeased with the Bears' signing of Michael Bush, even though shared rushing attempts could actually work to prolong Forte's career.

Forte is a good back. New GM Phil Emery knows it, or else he wouldn't have slapped Forte with the franchise tag. But the Bears now have a starting-caliber replacement, and can find another on day two of the draft. On the trade market, Forte could fetch a second-round pick and then some.

Prediction: Traded to New England for second- and sixth-round picks.

2. Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel

Samuel is still playing at a very high level, but he no longer fits the Eagles' defensive philosophy. He'll also be difficult to trade going on age 31 with a $9.9 million base salary. In all likelihood, Samuel will have to agree to a reworked contract in order to expedite his way out of Philadelphia.

The Lions nearly traded for Samuel late last summer, offering two second-day draft picks in a deal Eagles GM Howie Roseman nixed at the last minute. Detroit is in no better shape at corner than it was at this time last year. It's pretty safe to assume the sides will rekindle talks before the draft.

Prediction: Traded to Detroit for a conditional fourth-round pick.

3. Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney

Freeney has been unwilling to move from end to outside linebacker in new coach Chuck Pagano's 3-4 scheme. The Colts figured that out early, and began "fielding calls" in February to gauge interest around the league. Due to Freeney's age (32) and exorbitant salary ($14M), they found no takers.

GM Ryan Grigson was adamant at this week's Owners Meetings that Freeney is now part of the team's 2012 plans. "He's a Colt. Period," Grigson said. That could change quickly, of course, if a team believes it's one pass rusher away from a Super Bowl. Like Samuel, Freeney would have to redo his deal in order to make a trade work. The Colts do have plenty of cap space to keep him.

Prediction: Stays with Indianapolis.

4. Panthers running back Jonathan Stewart

Carolina's combined $52 million investments in DeAngelo Williams and Mike Tolbert don't make Stewart the odd man out, per se, but they certainly raise the question of whether Stewart will be a Panther beyond 2013. (He may not make it that long.) Stewart's rookie contract is up after this season, and Carolina isn't going to be able to keep paying all three backs. With Stewart coming off an impressive year (career-high 5.36 YPC, 47 catches) it's time to strike while the iron is hot.

Though he's in a contract season, an acquiring team won't have to commit top dollar to Stewart because it can slap him with the franchise tag in 2013. Based on 2012 tender numbers, a team could get Stewart's age-25 and 26 seasons for what essentially amounts to a two-year, $9.053 million commitment. As a premium talent, Stewart is well worth that money in a keep-and-tag scenario.

Prediction: Traded to Denver for a second-round pick.

<!--RW-->

5. Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck

The Titans know they can do better than the fading Hasselbeck, who in the latter stages of 2011 more closely resembled a late-career Mark Brunell than his three-time Pro Bowl old self. Tennessee swung and missed on Peyton Manning, but the organization clearly wants more at quarterback.

If the Titans are smart, they'll know 2011 first-round pick Jake Locker is ready to start and will run circles around Hasselbeck in training camp. The club remains high on Rusty Smith as a potential long-term backup. Clearing Hasselbeck's $5.5 million salary off the books wouldn't hurt, either. A phone call to old Hasselbeck pal Mike Holmgren in Cleveland may be all it takes to turn the page.

Prediction: Traded to Cleveland for a fifth-round pick.

6. Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers

The ninth pick in the 2008 draft, Rivers has been a testament to the increasingly popular notion that non-rush linebackers shouldn't be drafted so high. Rivers is a fine run defender, but he hasn't come close to living up to his draft status. He also missed all of last season with a wrist condition.

The medical will be key because Rivers recovered far more slowly than anticipated, and the wrist injury has been called "degenerative." Rivers is in a contract season, however, and the Bengals probably won't be signing him long term. He's not even projected for the starting lineup this year.

Prediction: Traded to Miami for a fifth-round pick.

7. Patriots quarterbacks Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett

Hoyer lacks arm strength, and Mallett is short on mobility. At ages 26 and 24, however, they are tantalizing young prospects after learning under Tom Brady. Neither has a particularly prohibitive base salary. Hoyer draws high marks for intangible traits, and Mallett can sling it a country mile.

Teams likely still view Hoyer's talent as unremarkable, and will wait until he hits the 2013 market before overspending. Mallett is the more intriguing trade target, though the Patriots probably won't part with him for less than a second-round pick after Mallett cost them a third-rounder in 2011.

Prediction: Both stay in New England.

8. Texans running back Ben Tate

Tate is a logical trade candidate in that the player ahead of him on the depth chart just re-signed for $43 million over five seasons, and Houston's zone-blocking scheme can render running back a replaceable position. Tate is a beastly tackle breaker with underrated skills in the passing game. He's cheap and not yet 24, and those characteristics make Tate very enticing on the trade market.

They may bite if an unrefusable offer comes along, but the Texans' best option is to keep Tate for one more season. He's low-cost, starter-quality talent in one of the NFL's run-heaviest offenses. The club should be more amenable to trade offers next offseason, when Tate enters a contract year.

Prediction: Stays in Houston.

9. Jets linebacker Bart Scott

New York Newsday reported in early January that Scott would not be back with the Jets, and the team granted him permission to seek a trade just before February's Scouting Combine. It's not difficult to see why they've found no takers, however. Scott is a two-down inside linebacker going on age 32. His $4.2 million salary is both hefty and fully guaranteed for the 2012 season.

Coach Rex Ryan now claims the Jets plan to keep Scott, but that could be an issue either of Ryan lacking foresight, or a leverage play by the organization. Teams will have interest in Scott if he's released. They just aren't going to take on his contract. The Jets have a tough decision ahead.

Prediction: Released after the draft.

10. Bills cornerback Leodis McKelvin

McKelvin was the 11th pick in the 2008 draft, so he's a holdover from an old Bills regime. And McKelvin hasn't played remotely well enough to earn a spot in GM Buddy Nix and coach Chan Gailey's long-term plans. McKelvin is entering the final year on his rookie deal. He's not getting an extension and won't be a 2012 starter, so it makes the most sense for Buffalo to move him now.

McKelvin still has talent and youth (26) on his side. Dick Jauron was Bills coach when McKelvin was drafted, and now runs the defense in Cleveland. A move like this could make the Browns more comfortable bypassing Morris Claiborne in favor of offense at the No. 4 pick. The Browns have 13 draft choices after compensatory picks were distributed, so they'll be open to wheeling and dealing. McKelvin is a right corner by nature, and a logical fit opposite LCB Joe Haden.

Prediction: Traded to Cleveland for a sixth-round pick.

More Trade Candidates: Giants DE Osi Umenyiora, Bucs TE Kellen Winslow, Chiefs DL Glenn Dorsey, Rams WR Danny Amendola, Raiders WR Louis Murphy, Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno, Eagles DE Darryl Tapp, Lions DT Sammie Lee Hill, Panthers QB Jimmy Clausen, Saints RB Chris Ivory, Dolphins DE Phillip Merling, Browns WR Mohamed Massaquoi, Colts DE Jerry Hughes, Lions CB Alphonso Smith, Panthers RB Mike Goodson, Titans LB Gerald McRath, Dolphins LB Koa Misi, Patriots DT Ron Brace, Jets RT Wayne Hunter, Bengals DE Robert Geathers, Bucs WR Arrelious Benn, Texans SS Glover Quin, Seahawks WR Deon Butler.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Gore rank drops with Jacobs

So much for the Kendall Hunter hype train.

Personally, I think Hunter could handle the job as Frank Gore's backup in the San Francisco 49ers' backfield. Hunter may be short (5-foot-7) but he's no lightweight. He's 200 pounds of quick-twitch speed, and I still think he has ability similar to Ray Rice. Then again, I'm not in the 49ers' meeting room, and for now Jim Harbaugh & Co. appear to have decided Hunter is mostly a third-down back. How do I know this? Because San Francisco just inked Brandon Jacobs to a one-year, $2 million deal.

Now, this certainly isn't a major financial commitment to a player who's become known for somewhat erratic behavior and a running style that doesn't befit his massive (6-foot-4, 264 pounds) frame. Toward the end of his career with the New York Giants, he lost lead-back duties to Ahmad Bradshaw; in the 2011 season, Bradshaw averaged just north of 14 carries per game while Jacobs averaged just shy of 11, and Bradshaw actually scored nine rushing TDs to the much bigger man's seven. Jacobs will be 30 in July, and there's no guarantee he'll even be the 49ers' short-yardage back in '12. He could very well wind up an afterthought. But for the moment, for as long as he's on this roster, we have to consider him a threat to Gore's TDs.

Everyone knows Gore is an injury risk. It's true that he appeared in 16 games last season for the first time since '06, but it's also true that the Niners all but eliminated him in the passing game (he had a mere 17 catches, after averaging 51 grabs per season over his previous five injury-shortened campaigns) and rested him for long stretches during the season's second half. The team tried giving its goal-line touches to Anthony Dixon, but Dixon was uninspired to say the least, and Gore mostly reassumed those duties as the season went on. Connect the dots: One way to keep Gore healthy would be to remove him from those short-yardage car crashes, and in theory Jacobs should be up to that task. Provided he's on the roster and used regularly, that would make Jacobs a legit candidate to lead the 49ers in rushing scores next season.

If Gore gets hurt, however, I wouldn't trust Jacobs to assume the starting job. I still think that mantle will belong to Hunter, who I believe is getting a bad rap here. I still view him as Gore's handcuff. But I acknowledge that the acquisition of Jacobs probably removes Hunter from the sleeper list: The only reason to draft him this summer will likely be if you draft Gore first. As for Jacobs, I definitely don't rule out the possibility that he does the cha-cha-cha at the line of scrimmage a few times, earns his new coaches' ire rather quickly, and goes gently into that good night. And even if he's a good soldier and successfully plays the part of bull-in-china-shop, I can't see him coming anywhere near his 152 carries from last season. Heck if he gets to 100, I'll be surprised. As such, he's going to be a TD vulture at best, and you probably don't need to draft him outside extremely deep leagues.

As for Gore? Well, this isn't the greatest news. Essentially replacing Dixon with Jacobs should in theory supply the Niners with a better in-close TD maker, and that means it might not be smart to bet Gore winds up with more than the eight TDs he scored in '11. Take away his short-yardage duties and essentially remove him from the passing game? Well, even in a fantasy football season that shapes up as one of the most frustrating ever for RBs, I already didn't consider Gore a top-10 back, and this drives him down to No. 13 on my RB list. It's certainly not a fatal blow -- I mean, after all, this is Brandon Jacobs -- but it's illustrative of the lengths the 49ers will go to in order to keep their money man healthy.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Wow, Now That's Rich

The 2012 free agency period has slowed considerably since mid-March, giving us time to reflect fully upon signings that took place over the past three weeks. Looking ahead, Rotoworld draft analyst Josh Norris will soon begin cranking out weekly reports on offensive skill positions as the April 26-28 draft approaches. For now, let's take a look back at players whose recently signed contracts don’t match their on-the-field performance.

1. Vikings tight end John Carlson

Carlson's five-year, $25 million deal made him the NFL's 12th-highest paid tight end in terms of annual average. While his $9.1 million in guarantees were more reasonable and put Carlson a few notches lower in the league's tight end contract rankings, it's still quite a pricey sum for a guy who didn't play a down last year and lacked an impressive track record in previous seasons.

Carlson ran a 4.89 forty at the 2008 Scouting Combine and has struggled mightily as a blocker in the NFL. He has a history of concussions and tore a labrum in his shoulder last August. While Carlson will be 100 percent for OTAs, his first four seasons suggest Carlson stands little to no chance of meeting the expectations set forth by the money he's making. Especially once 2011 second-round pick Kyle Rudolph easily surpasses him as Minnesota's go-to option at tight end.

2. Buccaneers cornerback Eric Wright

Wright, who ranked 104th of 109 in Pro Football Focus' 2011 cornerback rankings, became the NFL's 16th-richest corner when he inked a five-year, $38 million deal on March 14. The contract includes $15.5 million in guarantees and locks in Wright through at least the 2014 offseason. Tampa Bay wasn't the only team hot for Wright's services, but they were clearly willing to pay the most despite two straight poor seasons. Wright was benched in Cleveland the previous year.

Wright is only 26 -- he turns 27 in July -- and talent has never been an issue. He appeared to be emerging as a top-ten NFL corner as recently as the 2009 season, when Wright picked off four passes as a 16-game starter for the Browns. The Bucs aren't paying Wright for 2011 and 2010. They're wagering he'll maximize his abilities in new coach Greg Schiano's scheme. It's an expensive gamble.

3. Browns defensive end Frostee Rucker

The 91st pick in the 2006 draft, Rucker's six-year Bengals tenure can be described as pedestrian at best. He's registered seven sacks in 53 games (19 starts) with a career high of four in 2011. Rucker is entering his age-29 campaign, and he could never have been mistaken for an explosive edge rusher. At the cost of $20.5 million over five years, the Browns expect him to be their new starting right end.

Rucker was arrested in college for spousal battery and vandalism, and fined one game check in the NFL. He's ended a season on I.R. three times in six years, making it through 16 games once in his career. The Browns gave a $5 million signing bonus to a player with medical and character red flags who's been sparingly productive through six seasons. That's not very good business.

4. Jaguars wide receiver Laurent Robinson

Robinson's five-year, $32.5 million contract made him the league's 18th-highest paid receiver in annual average and 16th in guarantees per year. Robinson preyed on single coverage as the Dallas' third receiver last season while Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, and Miles Austin got the defensive attention. Prior to 2011, Robinson had never caught more than 37 balls or cleared 13 yards per catch across four years in the NFL. His previous career high in touchdowns was two.

GM Gene Smith would say otherwise, but the Jags seemed to operate with desperation in their Robinson pursuit. Dwayne Bowe, Wes Welker, and DeSean Jackson were all franchise tagged. Stevie Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, Robert Meachem, Pierre Garcon, and Reggie Wayne had all already signed. The Jags never wanted Brandon Lloyd or Mario Manningham, so they set their sights on Robinson and overpaid. Hopefully, Blaine Gabbert can get him the ball.
<!--RW-->

5. Bills defensive end Mark Anderson

After re-signing Stevie Johnson, the Bills turned all of their attention to upgrading the front seven, and that aggressiveness was honorable. They made Mario Williams the highest paid defender in NFL history, then followed it up by signing Anderson to be Mario's weak-side bookend. Buffalo had a plan, and it executed. But Anderson was overpaid in the process, and there are likely people in the Bills' organization who would acknowledge as much. He isn't worth $5 million a year.

Anderson is going on age 29. He's been in the league for six seasons, and in just two of them recorded more than five sacks. Anderson is consistently washed out in run defense and is essentially a one-down end. The Bills will give him a chance to be an every-snap player, but it almost certainly won't end well. While Buffalo's team sack total will rise in 2012, offenses will know exactly which front-four member to target on running plays: Mark Anderson.

6. Redskins wide receiver Pierre Garcon

Garcon became the NFL's ninth-highest paid receiver on March 13, when the Redskins handed him a five-year, $42.5 million blockbuster with $20.5M guaranteed. Seven of the eight players ahead of Garcon in the receiver-contract rankings have made the Pro Bowl (Santonio Holmes is the other outlier), and so have the three wideouts just behind Garcon in the top 12. In other words, Garcon has the contract of a decorated NFL receiver. He's just not a decorated NFL receiver.

Pro Bowl berths don't tell the whole story, of course, and the Skins are banking that Garcon has some in his future. He's only 25. Since Garcon cracked the starting lineup in 2009, however, he has been an inconsistent, inefficient receiver in whom Peyton Manning often showed distrust. Garcon's career-best 2011 campaign came during a year that saw Indy constantly play from behind. Continuing to lack consistency, Garcon racked up 421 of his 947 yards (44.5 percent) and all six of his TDs in three games. Two of them were against pass defenses that ranked in the NFL's bottom dozen. In the Colts' other 13 games, Garcon averaged under 41 yards per contest.

7. Rams center Scott Wells

Wells is a good football player, and the Rams need as many of them as they can get. But what is the value of an undersized, 31-year-old center? St. Louis deemed it to be $24M over four years with $13 million guaranteed, making Wells the league's fourth-richest center. (For the curious, Carolina's Ryan Kalil is No. 1, the Jets' Nick Mangold is No. 2, and Houston's Chris Myers is 3.)

The Rams certainly need line help, and a pocket that collapses from the interior is the quickest way to kill a passing game. In Green Bay, however, Wells was a player the Packers were annually trying to replace. And Pack GM Ted Thompson knows a thing or two about talent evaluation. Will Wells be a system fit? He's spent the past six seasons in Mike McCarthy's zone-blocking scheme.

8. Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne

"Wayne will finish his career a Colt." "Luck gets a veteran receiver." They're nice storylines, and they've both been trumpeted by a media that prefers fluff pieces to football film. What about last year, when Wayne rounded his routes and quit on assignments? Wayne is going on 34, and his playmaking ability is in swift decline. He hasn't cleared 13 yards per catch in four years, devolving into a late-career possession receiver. Press coverage with a safety over the top cancels him out of games.

The Colts wanted Pierre Garcon over Wayne, but settled for the latter when they were outbid for the former. Wayne stayed on for $17.5 million over three years, with a $7.5M signing bonus. Would anyone else have paid that much? The guess here is no. Wayne is a shell of his old self.

9. Cardinals offensive tackle Levi Brown

Brown has fallen well short of expectations accompanying the fifth pick in the 2007 draft, but re-signing him was a move the Cards felt they had to make. Tackle was the thinnest position in free agency, and Brown strung together the best half-season of his career down last year's stretch. Arizona won seven of its final nine games, due in no small part to improved pass protection.

After cutting Brown to avoid a $16.9 million cap number, the Cardinals took just three days to re-sign him for $30 million over five years. The contract made Brown only the 14th-highest paid left tackle in the game, but he shouldn't be a left tackle. Brown is a heavy-footed drive blocker, and his ideal position is on the right side. If the Cardinals draft a Riley Reiff or Jonathan Martin to protect their quarterback's back side, Brown would become the league's fourth highest paid right tackle.

10. Cowboys guard Mackenzy Bernadeau

Bernadeau couldn't crack the lineup for a Panthers team that got average to below-average guard play last season. The Cowboys paid him to be a starter. While Bernadeau's $11 million over four years and $3.25 million signing bonus aren't overwhelming, Dallas projected him as an upgrade perhaps only because Bernadeau is young with perceived potential. When the 26-year-old made 12 spot starts in 2010, Pro Football Focus graded him as one of the worst guards in the league.

Bernadeau has youth on his side and will be tutored by one of the best line coaches in football in Bill Callahan. But is he any good? Two coaching staffs in Carolina didn't think so. Ron Rivera's unit let Bernadeau ride the pine, and John Fox benched him in October of the previous year. The blind faith in Bernadeau may also steer Dallas away from Stanford's David DeCastro in the draft.

Semifinalists: Alex Smith (three years, $24 million), Red Bryant (five years, $35 million), DeSean Jackson (five years, $51 million), Nate Livings (five years, $19 million), Brodrick Bunkley (five years, $25 million), Ronde Barber (one year, $3 million).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giaoduc783
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com