NFL Fantasy News 2012

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Advice from an unlikely source

By Matthew Berry | ESPN.com

It's as good advice for the fantasy playoffs as there is.

And it comes from an unlikely source.

Especially since it was never intended for that.

But still, it remains strong counsel that you'd be wise to heed. Words are important. That's not the advice, by the way. We'll get to that in a bit. But rather, it's a declarative statement to help provide a transition to the next point I want to make since the previous sentence doesn't lend itself to a nifty segue.

While it's not the advice, it happens to be true. Words are important. Specific words. Every single one of them. When I write, I agonize over every single word choice and placement.

For example, I screwed up in last week's column about pressure. There's a long story that's not terribly interesting about why, but I wish I had framed the whole thing better. The idea was that, because of my job title -- which, ridiculous as it sounds, is actually "Senior Fantasy Analyst for ESPN" -- I feel this tremendous pressure to win every single league I am in, get every pick right, etc. But because I didn't lead off with that thought and instead just launched into talking about my leagues, I don't think I framed the column properly, and ultimately I wasn't thrilled with how it turned out last week. Even for me, it meandered too much and it was two different themes that didn't exactly mesh.

Words matter. And they are hard.

As one of my favorite authors, Douglas Adams, used to say, "Writing is easy. You only need to stare at a piece of blank paper until your forehead bleeds."

This is not a column complaining about how difficult it is to write or woe is me or anything, but I point out the challenge in writing for this one reason: If it's hard to write (and it is), imagine having to write something … and setting it to music. And if you thought, like me, that last week's column was way too long and meandering, or you simply don't care at all about the meaning of words, you might want to skip ahead to the loves and hates. You've been warned.

Words don't always matter in songs. The enormous American (and worldwide success) of the South Korean hit "Gangnam Style" taught us that.

But there are many times when the music combines with the lyrics and creates a story that is magic. I've talked before about being a big fan of Bruce Springsteen. He's a great writer, of course. Musically and lyrically, he evokes strong emotions and imagery set to pure unadulterated rock 'n' roll.

In 1987, after the worldwide success of "Born in the U.S.A.," The Boss released an album called "Tunnel of Love," an album that was, as his official website terms it, a collection of songs exploring "an inner life and unresolved feelings." A brave, if unexpected follow-up. I expected nothing less.
And among the songs is the title track, "Tunnel of Love." Music is a personal thing, of course and if I am being honest, it's not even my favorite Springsteen song (obvious, but I'm still a sucker for "Badlands"), but it is in my top ten.

And more importantly, it is, without a doubt, one of the best songs ever written in terms of imagery and lyrics. I'd like to encourage you to take a moment now and search for the song and video online. I not going anywhere and trust me, you'll enjoy. Both the song and the column a lot more.

Now, a "tunnel of love," is a ride usually found in lower-rent amusement parks and carnivals, in which a couple would sit in a pretend boat that would be moved through a dark tunnel. It would go slow (romantic) or fast (scary) and either way, the unspoken understanding was that you and your date would be pulled closer together, either kissing in the romantic darkness or holding onto each other out of fear.

And Springsteen uses the story of a couple taking this ride as a metaphor for marriage and all the inherent challenges within on this twisty ride in the dark they are about to take.

It's nothing short of brilliant. Not just for its imagery, but its phrasing.

The song starts:

Fat man sitting on a little stool
Takes the money from my hand while his eyes take a walk all over you
Hands me the ticket smiles and whispers good luck
Cuddle up angel cuddle up my little dove
We'll ride down baby into this tunnel of love

I can just see the ticket taker, creepily checking out the girl, awkwardly offering encouragement where no interaction is wanted. The uncomfortable feeling they get as they see and hear this. And what was expected to be a fun ride for just the two of them already has someone intruding into their little world. Bruce tells her to ignore, to cuddle close, as they start this journey together, just the two of them, into the unknown.

The song continues.

I can feel the soft silk of your blouse
And them soft thrills in our little fun house
Then the lights go out and it's just the three of us
You me and all that stuff we're so scared of
Gotta ride down baby into this tunnel of love

Friends and family, co-workers and parents … they all are there at the start, wishing you well at the wedding, and everyone is all dressed up. Soft silk blouse and fun thrills. But just like in the ride, where it is dark and curvy and if you've never ridden it before, you have no idea what is coming next, so too is marriage a largely blind trip with no clear path. A journey that, when the lights go out, all that's left is "just the three of us … you me and all that stuff we're so scared of."

There is something so beautiful about that phrase, simple and amazingly descriptive. An entire lifetime of hope and fear, excitement and nervousness wrapped up in 15 words.

It is awe-inspiring, humbling and, to be honest, a little depressing knowing that I will never write something that good.

The song continues.

There's a crazy mirror showing us both in 5-D
I'm laughing at you you're laughing at me
There's a room of shadows that gets so dark brother
It's easy for two people to lose each other in this tunnel of love

Like any relationship, the ride can go from great moments -- laughing at you, you're laughing at me -- to dark and tough moments where a couple can pull away: "It's easy for two people to lose each other …"

You know, I had dinner the other night with my good friend Adam Shapiro. We've known each other for over 20 years and you'd think we'd have run out of things to talk about by now. But as we we're driving, this song came on the radio, and we spent the next 20 minutes discussing the brilliance of Springsteen, and specifically all the levels of this song. Not just lyrically, but the music, with its haunting guitar, crashing cymbals and a synthesizer that evokes memories of the seashore. Like the lyrics and the man himself, simple sounds that belie much more beneath the surface.

The song continues.

it ought to be easy ought to be simple enough
Man meets woman and they fall in love
But the house is haunted and the ride gets rough
And you've got to learn to live with what you can't rise above
if you want to ride on down in through this tunnel of love

There's caution there, a warning. It "ought to be easy, ought to be simple enough …" but of course, life is never as expected, no relationship is simple enough, "the house gets haunted and the ride gets rough."

And it is about this time I realize that in addition to being a metaphor for the path of marriage a couple embarks on, it is also a fairly good representation of a fantasy season. From a whisper of good luck at the draft to laughing at you while laughing at me to injuries and players underperforming, the house becomes haunted and the ride gets rough.

And it is at that point that Springsteen hits us between the eyes with my favorite lyric from any song, ever.

"You got to learn to live with what you can't rise above."

Which, like the song itself, is both seemingly simple and undeniably complex, speaking on many levels to the struggles we face daily and our choices on how to handle them. It's great life advice, it's great relationship advice and, though he certainly didn't intend it, happens to also be great fantasy football advice for Week 15.

The questions I see on Twitter and Facebook are about different players, but they are basically the same.

"Should I start the Lions Defense over the 49ers defense I've been riding all year?"

"Is Bryce Brown going to bounce back or should I go with a safer but less upside-filled option like Steven Jackson?"

"Can I trust Knowshon Moreno or will he pull a 'Bryce Brown' this week and turn back into a pumpkin?"

"If Robert Griffin III is active, do I start him at less than 100 percent (with fear of re-injury) or do I start someone like Carson Palmer or Russell Wilson?"

"What do I do with David Wilson? If Bradshaw is out, would you start him over Moreno? What if Bradshaw does play? Then how much can you trust him?"

"Do I start Danny Amendola and Cecil Shorts if they are active? If so, which one?"

My take on all those questions can be found by looking at my rankings, of course. But it's not as simple as that.
Because it is your team.

Your decision; your win or your loss. Yell on Twitter all you want, but understand that in the morning, you'll still have only you and no more fantasy football looking back at you in the mirror if you make the wrong decision.

If I feel like I have a good shot or if it's the second week of a matchup in which I'm leading or close, I'll go conservative. If I'm down big or been hurt by injuries and am limping in, I'll swing for the fences. But it goes back to my advice at the very start of the season: What's most likely to happen?

And it also goes to your own personal belief. As I wrote last week when talking about my friend's Moreno/Stevan Ridley dilemma, I'd rather lose by starting the stud that got me there rather than having the flavor of the week put in a vanilla performance. If I left a stud on my bench who went off while some one-week wonder laid an egg, I'd be beside myself. But that's me, and I know what I can and can't tolerate during the offseason.

You have to learn to live with what you can't rise above.
Remember that as you set your lineup in Week 15. Shoutout as usual to John Parolin and the gang in the ESPN Tunnel of Stats & Information.

[h=3]Quarterbacks I love in Week 15[/h]Cam Newton, Panthers: Not that there was any chance you were benching him, but if you wonder why he's been crushing lately? It's not just the running. In Weeks 1-10, he had a 57.2 completion percentage and his average throw was 8.5 yards downfield, which is 7.9 yards per attempt. He threw for eight touchdowns and had 10 interceptions, and rushed for 39.3 yards per game. In the past four weeks, however, Cam has a 60.5 completion percentage and his throws are an average of 9.7 yards downfield, 9.1 yards per attempt. He's thrown for 8 touchdowns and zero interceptions while rushing for 71.5 yards per game. Throwing deeper down the field and completing more passes -- expect it to continue against San Diego's 22nd-ranked pass defense.

Andy Dalton, Bengals: There you go, Eagles. No more vacation jokes for you. But while players on Thursday have generally disappointed, I still think Dalton is a relatively safe play. Going Next Level here for a bit, they rush four or fewer at the third-highest rate in the NFL this year. And since Juan Castillo was fired, when they rush four or fewer, they haven't intercepted a pass but have allowed a league-high 15 touchdowns.

Josh Freeman, Buccaneers: if we're playing the "What's most likely to happen?" game, and I certainly am, you get pretty good odds on a quarterback facing the Saints having a good game, even if it is a "feeling good and recently exonerated" Saints team.

Colin Kaepernick, 49ers: The only starting quarterback with at least 50 play-action plays and a better total QBR than Colin Kaepernick (90.6) is Peyton Manning (93.8). Makes sense; San Fran runs it so well and he is so mobile, you can see defenses biting on it. I understand the apprehension of starting a quarterback at New England in December, especially after seeing what happened to the Texans. But the Patriots defense has allowed 10 touchdown passes after play-action fakes, second-most in the league. And Colin's rushing ability keeps his floor high. If you have to look outside the top 10, I feel Kaepernick is a fairly safe bet for 15 points or so.

If you're desperate: Russell Wilson has a 6-1 touchdown-to-interception rate in his past three road games, and you'll win some bar bets with this one: Since Week 8, nobody has a higher QBR on the road than Wilson. The Seahawks are on the road in Toronto against the Bills. … Stop me if you've heard this one before. You can throw on the Redskins. Brandon Weeden, averaging over 11 points a game since Cleveland's bye, is a good bet for double-digit points in this one.

[h=3]Quarterbacks I hate in Week 15[/h]
Tony Romo, Cowboys: Since their Week 5 bye, Tony Romo has had more than two touchdown passes in only two games: against the Redskins and the Eagles. The Steelers, my friend, are significantly better than either of them. (Bows.) Thank you! Thank you! I'm not the best in the biz for nothing, folks! Anyway, just to give some numbers to what we know: The Steelers allow the lowest pass yards per attempt, least amount of first downs, third-lowest completion percentage and have the No. 1 overall pass defense. Even with the Steelers defense banged up a little, they're still a pretty good unit, last week's Chargers game notwithstanding. A less-than-100 percent Dez Bryant (if he even plays) doesn't help either. Outside my top 10.

Andrew Luck, Colts: Fair warning. Was on the love list last week and I got it wrong. Was on the hate list the week before that. Got that wrong. So, if you need to start Luck here, you might be in … errr … hang on, I'll think of a different word … Uh … wait just a minute, I'll get it … oh, hell … in luck, OK? You might be in luck. Because I seem to have the Simmons-esque reverse-jinx power on Andrew. But here's why he is also outside my top 10 this week: Over the past five week, he is averaging just 6.9 yards per attempt, 20th among quarterbacks with at least 50 attempts. He has an NFL-leading 10 interceptions, and in only one of the five games did he have a positive touchdown-to-interception ratio. Houston was just embarrassed on national television and they are at home. Luck struggles on the road, and the Texans have something to prove.

Carson Palmer, Raiders: Here's the problem with the Lord of Junk Time™. I'm not convinced there's a lot of junk time in this game. I expect Oakland to run a lot and be effective here, Palmer had just 209 yards (and 2 scores for 14 points) the last time he played the Chiefs and I don't see Oakland having to play catch-up with K.C. Palmer is a rock-solid bet for double-digit points but his upside is limited if you need anything more than that.

[h=3]Running backs I love in Week 15

Adrian Peterson, Vikings: The most obvious name in the universe, everyone is starting him no matter what, but I put him here for two reasons. One, to illustrate that there's a reason for some of these obvious names. This is the playoffs. You're going super safe. But mostly because I just wanted to share this crazy stat: Peterson's 6.04 yards-per-rush average is higher than John Skelton, Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert's yards-per-pass-attempt averages this season.

Alfred Morris, Redskins: Now, when your QB can't run (or could get reinjured if he tried it) what happens? You run the running back more. I expect a heavier-than-normal workload for Morris to take pressure off whoever the quarterback is (I'm betting it's RG III as I write this before Thursday practice), and against the Browns 18th-ranked run defense, that should be enough for a top-10 finish.

C.J. Spiller, Bills: Putting him here because people might be concerned about both his lack of work last week and the Seattle run defense. He's averaging 6.6 yards per carry. Chan Gailey has no choice but to use him full time now. Right? Right?? #FREECJ.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis: You know what's fun? Besides posting "The world is ending in eight days. Who cares?" under the Facebook photos of all your friends' kids? Having a running back who is hard to tackle going against a team that has trouble tackling. The Eagles have allowed 1.82 yards after contact per rush, fourth-worst average in the NFL. Law Firm, meanwhile, has the fifth-most yards after contact this season.

Chris Johnson, Titans: I know. The hype on the Monday night game has already been building to astronomical levels. You don't need another reason to watch. It's the TITANS! And JETS! Yet I do like CJ here despite back-to-back five-point games. They need to get him going, and I believe they will. Only two teams have allowed more yards after contact this year than the Jets, who are 29th against the run. For what it's worth, Johnson seems to like the bright lights, averaging 113 rushing yards on "Monday Night Football."

If you're desperate or in a deeper league: If Ahmad Bradshaw doesn't play, David Wilson becomes a top-15 play for me, but even if Bradshaw is active, I still like him as a flex against a Falcons team that allows the seventh-most fantasy points to opposing running backs. … Total gut call, but I bet Ryan Mathews actually has a really good game this week, just because it'll happen when most of his owners are already out of the playoffs. … The only running backs with more receiving yards this season than Joique Bell? Darren Sproles and Ray Rice. More touches last week than Mikel Leshoure; I don't expect them to be in catch-up mode against Arizona the way they were against Green Bay, but I do expect him to play more than you expect in a good matchup. … Bilal Powell has at least one score in three of the past four games and in each of those games, he's scored from inside the opponent's 10-yard line. He's become their goal-line back, which is good news. Only San Francisco runs more inside an opponent's 10-yard line than the Jets. … Bad matchup, but Montell Owens was solid last week and will continue to be the only run game the Jags have.

[/h][h=3]Running backs I hate in Week 15[/h][h=3]
Frank Gore, 49ers: I have him just inside my top 20, so my guess is you don't have better options and are playing him. But you certainly don't love the matchup, as the Patriots have allowed the seventh-fewest fantasy points to opposing runners; they are eighth in run defense and allow the second-fewest yards after contact. Plus, with less than 65 rushing yards in back-to-back games, Gore hasn't had 100 yards rushing since Week 7. He'll be solid here, but not expecting a huge game.

DeMarco Murray, Cowboys: Had him on this list last week and he ran poorly (averaging just 2.5 yards per carry) but he bailed you out with an "oh-by-the-way" goal-line dive. But since returning from injury, Murray has only 45 yards after contact in two games (27th in NFL), and ranks 41st out of 44 qualified rushers over the past two weeks with 1.02 yards after contact per rush. In fact, the only qualified running backs with fewer yards after contact per rush are Beanie Wells and Reggie Bush. Steelers rank fourth in fewest yards after contact per rush allowed. And then did you see the NFL.com article on him? Where Murray explained he's been running with three plates in his shoes and it's why he's running differently? You probably don't have better options, but I don't expect amazing things on Sunday.

Michael Turner, Falcons: You know what I can't rise above? My feelings for Michael Turner. He has scored in four straight games now and yet still has not had more than 12 points in any of those games. It's not a terrible matchup for him and he seems to run well at home, but I just hate guys who are touchdown-dependent for their fantasy value, and there's no one more touchdown-dependent than Turner. I'm going down swinging on Turner.

DeAngelo Williams, Panthers: I know what he did last week. Don't care. Don't get cute.

[/h][h=3]Wide receivers I love in Week 15

Wes Welker, Patriots: I'm the only guy to have in the top five this week but I'm super bullish on him because of the matchup. Yes, the 49ers have a good defense. But not against wide receivers lining up in the slot, where San Francisco gives up the fourth-most receptions in the NFL to opposing slot receivers.

Vincent Jackson, Buccaneers: Got accused on Twitter of never giving any love to Vincent Jackson and I don't think that's true. I've had him ranked top-10 in a number of weeks, including last week. But fine, here you go. The Saints are a good matchup, you know that. But just to add to it, they have allowed the sixth-most receptions on throws deeper than 20 yards downfield. V-Jax, meanwhile, leads the league with 15 receptions on that kind of throw.

Randall Cobb, Packers: Not only is he the No. 1 receiving threat on the Packers, it's not close. Not worried about the 1-for-20 performance the last time he faced Chicago. Leading the Packers in targets, receptions and yardage by a significant margin, I don't see Green Bay running the ball effectively here. So they are throwing, and when they throw, they throw to Cobb, who will move around all over the place, exploiting matchups in the banged-up Bears defense.

Pierre Garcon, Redskins: The best yards-after-catch average this year, Garcon has caught 17 of 26 targets the past three weeks, racking up 279 yards overall and a touchdown in each game. And as he said on our podcast Tuesday, they plan to move him all over and he doesn't expect Joe Haden to be on him full time. I expect RG III to play, but regardless of who the QB is, I'm starting Pierre Garcon.

Danario Alexander, Chargers: He keeps making this list one way or the other and I keep talking about him on the podcast. Five scores in his past five, double-digit fantasy points in four of them; he's been as good as any wideout in the game over the last five weeks, not just from a fantasy perspective but an NFL perspective as well, as Philip Rivers really looks to Alexander to help move the chains. Only Calvin Johnson (14 of 25) and Brandon Marshall (14 of 23) have more third-down catches and targets than Danario Alexander (13 catches on 20 targets) over the last five weeks. In fact, Alexander's 273 yards and three touchdowns on third down in that span are both best in the league.

Cecil Shorts, Jaguars: Expected back this week, he's a big-play guy (tied with A.J. Green for most 50-yard TDs this year) and the Dolphins allow the 11th-most yards after the catch this year.

If you're desperate: Josh Gordon has back-to-back games with at least 80 yards, is a big-play threat himself and, obviously, you can throw on the Skins, who allow the second-most fantasy points to opposing wideouts. … Danny Amendola is always a risk to leave a game early but assuming he is active, the Vikings have allowed the 11th-most catches to opposing slot receivers this season. … With 100 yards or a score in three straight, Kenny Britt is finally coming into his own. … Over the last five weeks, no wide receiver has more red zone targets than Anquan Boldin.

[/h][h=3]Wide receivers I hate in Week 15[/h][h=3]
Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals: Not only would I not start him, I would have no issue with dropping him in a non-keeper league. In the last four weeks, he has as many catches (six) as his quarterbacks have interceptions (six) on his targets. I don't have high hopes for Ryan Lindley on Sunday.

Torrey Smith, Ravens: Three points or fewer in three of the last four weeks, this Sunday he should get the Champ Bailey treatment.

Greg Jennings, Packers: At a total of six fantasy points in his first two games back, it's not a great matchup for him, and how healthy is he? He has had some big games in the past against the Bears, and obviously he has the talent and the quarterback to have a huge day, but I generally want "safe" in the playoffs. If this were a regular-season game, I'd be starting him. In a win-or-go-home playoff game, I'm nervous, unless you need to swing for the fences with a high-risk, high-reward play.

Sidney Rice, Seahawks: Banged up, the Bills have actually been playing much better defense than they've been given credit for.

[/h][h=3]Tight ends I love in Week 15[/h][h=3]
Aaron Hernandez, Patriots: As he showed last week against the Texans, just because it's the 49ers, don't get cute. You're starting Aaron Hernandez.

Brandon Myers, Raiders: Yep, I'm back. Obviously, a terrible call by me last week on Myers, whom I ranked in my top five only to have him put up a goose egg. Sorry about that. But I'm back in. Part of the reason Myers struggled last week is that he needed to stay in and block, as the Raiders couldn't handle Denver's pass rush. I have no such concerns this week, as only five teams have fewer sacks than the Kansas City Chiefs. Keep in mind that there are only two tight ends who have had nine different games with at least five catches this year: Jason Witten and … Brandon Myers.

Greg Olsen, Panthers: Chargers have given up a score to an opposing tight end in each of their past two home games; Olsen has scored in two straight and has at least 50 yards or a score in three of the past five. With Brandon LaFell banged up, expect Cam to continue to look Olsen's way when Steve Smith is covered.

If you're desperate: After scoring in two of the past three and in three of the past five, Dennis Pitta gets a nice matchup with Denver, who allows the second-most fantasy points to opposing tight ends. … Benjamin Watson has been getting more involved in the offense recently, with two eight-point games in his last four, and the Redskins give up the most points to opposing tight ends.

[/h][h=3]Tight ends I hate in Week 15[/h][h=3]
Antonio Gates, Chargers: It's actually a decent matchup for him, so I could see him scoring here, but with a total of nine points in his past four games and no game with more than four points, I want no part of that risk in a playoff week.

Vernon Davis, 49ers: Another guy with a good matchup whom I just don't trust. Just six targets total the last three weeks, he's not involved in the offense in a significant way and he has scored just once since Week 3.

Jermichael Finley, Packers: What's most likely to happen? This guy disappoints you, that's what.

[/h][h=3]Defenses I love in Week 15[/h][h=3]
Cincinnati Bengals D/ST: Bengals lead the NFL in sacks; the Eagles have allowed the third-most sacks. A bad offense facing a good defense, on a short week; the Eagles allow the fourth-most fantasy points to opposing defenses. Still available in more than half of leagues, too. My No. 1 defense this week.

Detroit Lions D/ST: Insert defense facing Ryan Lindley here.

St. Louis Rams D/ST: They've been red hot lately, averaging over 17 fantasy points a game over their last three. And now they're home to a Vikings team that doesn't have Percy Harvin but does have Christian Ponder.

If you're desperate: Betting against Mark Sanchez tends to work out well and the Tennessee Titans have 16-, 9- and 22-point games in three of their past four, with the one bad game coming against the Texans.

[/h][h=3]Defenses I hate in Week 15[/h][h=3]
San Francisco 49ers D/ST: You're probably sick of hearing about how good the Patriots are at home in December, but you can't ignore what they did to a very good Texans defense on Monday, even if they were banged up. The average fantasy defense facing the Patriots this year has scored negative 1.5 points. Negative. On average. With so many good options available on the wire, I'm probably starting another team this week.

Cleveland Browns D/ST: A defense I loved last week, the trendy pickup can be put back down. The Redskins are not a good team to face with your fantasy defense as they don't turn the ball over that much, and RG III is hard to sack. Washington allows the third-fewest fantasy points to opposing defenses.

[/h]

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Believe in Ridley, Romo, Newton[/h][h=3]Playoff question marks; what's wrong with tight ends, receiving running backs[/h]
By Christopher Harris | ESPN.com

This week on the Fantasy Underground podcast (also available on iTunes), Field Yates and I talked about Drew Brees, Jimmy Graham, Pierre Garcon, Vick Ballard, Montell Owens and the impact of Cam Cameron's firing. I also gave a list of five overvalued players for 2013. Here are 10 other topics:
Five In Depth
1. Ten Downfield WRs. Fourteen weeks into the season, a fantasy analyst has to have a foot in two camps: sizing up the changing December landscape to help those still alive in their playoffs and looking ahead.

For me, a methodology that works on both levels is analyzing wideout target characteristics. Which wide receivers are getting the most looks down the field, and has that changed lately? Big plays can be the lifeblood of big fantasy upsets, as anyone who has been riding the Cecil Shorts bandwagon knows well.

Here are the 10 players who have seen the most targets that have traveled more than 20 yards in the air and their success rates on those throws:

Player Targets Catches Success %
Torrey Smith 35 7 20
Calvin Johnson 34 12 35.3
Vincent Jackson 33 13 39.4
A.J. Green 27 9 33.3
Mike Williams 24 8 33.3
Steve Smith 24 8 33.3
Brandon Marshall 23 8 34.8
Dwayne Bowe 22 5 22.7
Mike Wallace 22 4 18.2
Brian Hartline 21 9 42.9
(Source: Stats LLC)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

Seeing both Tampa Bay Buccaneers wideouts in the top five is most illustrative. Josh Freeman has taken many big shots, a philosophy that offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan brought over from Eli Manning and the New York Giants. If we want to get a clue about Wallace's disappointing season, it comes in the form of a poor conversion rate on deep throws; the Pittsburgh Steelers' deep threat had only 22 such targets in 16 games last season, so the notion that Todd Haley won't call the deep ball seems misguided. I should also note that Larry Fitzgerald is 13th on the list of targets that travel more than 20 yards but that he has caught only one such target. One-for-20! Think those Arizona Cardinals quarterbacks have struggled?

Now let's look at the past three weeks to get a sense of who is potentially getting hot down the field lately, since all NFL teams have finished with their bye weeks:

Player Targets Catches Success %
Calvin Johnson 12 4 33.3
Mike Wallace 9 1 11.1
Torrey Smith 9 1 11.1
Vincent Jackson 9 3 33.3
Sidney Rice 8 3 37.5
Brian Hartline 7 2 28.6
Donnie Avery 7 1 14.3
Lance Moore 7 3 42.9
Larry Fitzgerald 7 0 0
Mike Williams 7 2 28.6
(Source: Stats LLC)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

There's another look at Fitz's futility and proof that Megatron eats deep double coverage for a midday snack. How about Lance Moore getting lost deeper in coverages lately, perhaps as compensation for Jimmy Graham's struggles? Rice is avoiding concussions after big hits and beginning to look like the guy Brett Favre used to such great downfield effect in 2009. Plus, for all the deep speed T.Y. Hilton has, Avery is getting more downfield use lately, though he'd do better if he didn't let long passes carom off his facemask, as he did in Week 14.

2. Why I Have Faith in Stevan Ridley. Believe me, I don't like it any more than you. I'm programmed to mistrust Bill Belichick (and, for that matter, Mike Shanahan) when it comes to running backs. Sunday night's matchup against the San Francisco 49ers presents a nasty challenge to the New England Patriots running game. Can Ridley really continue his stellar fantasy play against one of the NFL's roughest front sevens?

In a word: Yes. And this is absolutely not about me disrespecting the Niners D. It has consistently been rough on opposing rushers. By my metrics, it has held opposing backs below their average fantasy-point outputs in each of the past four contests; you have to go back to Week 10 and Steven Jackson's surprise 101-yard, one-TD output at Candlestick to find a running back who outdid his moving average.

No, this is more about believing in -- or being suckered by, depending on your perspective -- the Pats' commitment to running and to Ridley. He is not a breakaway runner and depends on volume to get on a roll, but Ridley is a powerful slasher who reminds me of a later-career Corey Dillon (i.e., without the top-end speed). Ridley's matchup Monday night against the Houston Texans was also supposed to be Kryptonite, and he didn't sweat much, racking up 72 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries. The game was out of reach early, and Ridley didn't have a carry after the 7:23 mark of the fourth quarter.

Heck, the Pats have faced some pretty decent run defenses lately, and it hasn't affected Ridley:

Week Opponent Versus RB Rank Carries Yards TDs
8 STL 18th 15 127 1
10 BUF 15th 22 98 1
11 IND 9th 13 28 1
12 NYJ 14th 21 97 1
13 MIA 13th 19 71 1
14 HOU 2nd 18 72 1

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

My defensive ranks involve how good a defense is at preventing an opposing rusher from reaching his average fantasy-point output over the past five weeks; by that measure, I have the 49ers at No. 6. From a top-level perspective, they're a greater challenge than anyone on this game log except Houston, so I understand my fellow ESPN.com rankers' skepticism when it comes to Ridley. But I think back to the BenJarvus Green-Ellis days in New England, when a short touchdown was in the offing just about every week. There just aren't enough safe running back options around the league to sit Ridley, a player who benefits from a huge workload and a high-octane, TD-crazy offense, just like the Law Firm used to do.

3. The Decline of the Receiving RB? We have to be careful not to build a one-year phenomenon into a permanent trend, as I discussed last week in regard to elite quarterbacks becoming must-draft first-rounders. But the numbers -- and the "sniff test" -- indicate that 2012 hasn't been a good one for the top pass-catchers out of the backfield. Take the top 10 receiving running backs of last season. Every one of them is on pace to see fewer targets in 2012:

Player 2011 Targets 2011 Catches 2012 Targets (pace) 2012 Catches (pace)
Darren Sproles 111 86 95 68
Ray Rice 104 76 85 64
Chris Johnson 79 57 54 41
Mike Tolbert 79 54 37 30
Matt Forte 76 52 60 44
Arian Foster 71 53 62 42
LeSean McCoy 69 48 62 49
Maurice Jones-Drew 63 43 22 17
Jonathan Stewart 61 47 28 21
LaDainian Tomlinson 61 42 N/A N/A

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

I'll admit the cases of Sproles, McCoy, MJD and Stewart require special analysis because of injuries. Sproles was on pace for 119 targets before he broke a bone in his wrist, and McCoy was on pace for 80 targets before his concussion. However, MJD and Stewart were on pace for lesser receiving seasons even before they got hurt, which would have made 8-of-10 "decliners" on this list (7-of-9 if the retired Tomlinson is removed).

In addition, when you look at this year's top 10 receiving running backs, the raw totals at each slot are lower than their previous season's equivalent:

Rank Player 2012 Targets (proj) Rank Change From 2011 2012 Catches (proj) Rank Change From 2011
1 Darren Sproles 95 -17 68 -18
2 Ray Rice 85 -19 64 -12
3 Marcel Reece 78 -1 58 1
4 Trent Richardson 76 -3 55 1
5 Ronnie Brown 69 -7 57 5
6 Doug Martin 64 -8 43 -10
7 Ryan Mathews 64 -5 44 -4
8 Darren McFadden 64 1 41 -2
9 Joique Bell 63 2 48 1
10 Arian Foster 62 1 42 -

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

In other words, seven of 2012's 10 top running backs in terms of pass targets are on pace for lower target totals than the man who finished at their equivalent rank last season.

A league-wide calculation of how many passes have been thrown to running backs is no less illustrative. The NFL is on pace to have 3,206 passes thrown to backs this year. According to research I did using Stats LLC's database, that would be the lowest total in the NFL since 1992. Granted, last season's number was 3,301 targets, which means we've seen "only" a 3 percent drop in a calendar year. But looking at the historical data, you see that throughout the '90s it was common to have 3,800 or 3,900 passes thrown to running backs. Even throughout the '00s, that number was typically in the 3,500 region. So for however pass-happy today's NFL is, there's actually been a radical downturn in the number of passes thrown to running backs in recent years, and that downturn hit a 20-year low this season. That's something to keep in mind as we evaluate elite receiving RBs this December and into the future.

4. Tight Ends Are the New Kickers. Last week in this column, I talked about how the "Year of the Tight End" has fizzled. But I'm not sure I emphasized just how stupid and random this position has been for fantasy owners this season. Sure, you can point to Week 14, when Anthony McCoy was the only tight end to reach 100 yards receiving and Tony Scheffler and Rob Housler were two of the only four tight ends (along with Aaron Hernandez and Jimmy Graham) to see double-digit targets. But none of that is particularly unusual; there are many weeks every season where random TE infiltrators bust into the upper statistical echelons. No, the thing that's been most maddening about this position in 2012 has been the roller coaster nearly every viable tight end has ridden.

I decided to look at the week-to-week "deltas" of each of the current top 20 fantasy tight ends -- that is, how much their fantasy point totals changed from game to game. The results were extraordinary. These 20 men have combined for 234 game-to-game deltas (i.e., Week 1 compared to Week 2 would be one delta, Week 2 compared to Week 3 would be another delta, etc.). That accounts for 12 deltas per player, minus six games lost to injury (Rob Gronkowski has missed three, while Jimmy Graham, Owen Daniels and Antonio Gates have missed one). Of those 234 deltas, 99 of them were six fantasy points or more. That means that on a weekly basis 42 percent of the time, the top 20 tight ends saw their fantasy point totals rise or fall by at least six fantasy points. And 22 percent of the time, they saw their weekly output rise or fall by at least 10 fantasy points. Ridiculous, no? Here are those top 20 TEs:

Player Weekly Changes of 6+ Points Weekly Changes of 10+ Points
Rob Gronkowski 7 6
Tony Gonzalez 5 5
Jimmy Graham 5 3
Heath Miller 6 2
Greg Olsen 4 3
Owen Daniels 3 0
Brandon Myers 6 4
Jason Witten 4 3
Kyle Rudolph 6 4
Jermaine Gresham 5 1
Martellus Bennett 3 2
Scott Chandler 5 2
Vernon Davis 7 2
Dennis Pitta 7 3
Jared Cook 5 3
Brandon Pettigrew 4 1
Antonio Gates 4 3
Marcedes Lewis 6 3
Brent Celek 4 1
Dallas Clark 3 1

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

Wouldn't it almost be better if your fantasy tight end fell off the planet, rather than bouncing up and down on a pogo stick? Now, touchdowns play the biggest factor here, especially with tight ends who tend not to get tons of targets. If you score a touchdown one week and don't the next, you're being punished by this evaluation technique. Yet I still think this helps quantify how unreliable this position has been in 2012. I mean, we're talking changes of 10 fantasy points occurring nearly one-quarter of the time! That can't be explained away only by TDs!

5. The Philosophy of Playoff Risk. I wish I could give you a catchall blanket strategy for how to deal with injury risks in your fantasy playoffs. The fact is that some of the partially broken players you're considering for your lineup this weekend are going to backfire in Week 15. I'm not sure if it'll be Robert Griffin III and his knee, Dez Bryant and his finger, Cecil Shorts and his concussion, Ahmad Bradshaw and his knee, Roddy White and his knee, or Hakeem Nicks and all his lower extremities -- some of those guys (and others) will play valiantly and perform for you, and some will falter. They won't falter because they're not tough -- with few exceptions, every single person who has ever played in the NFL is physically tougher than you or I will ever understand -- but rather because the pain is truly intolerable, because their teams are trying to save them for a future game or because they simply can't move around at full capacity.

But we fantasy players are still left with conundrums, however fake or silly they may be. (Believe me, I do this for a living, I know how fake and silly it is sometimes.) Do we count on the injured player or players or replace them with lesser options?

As I say, I don't have a blanket recommendation. It's such a personal thing. How much risk can you tolerate? Which scenario would bother you more: the one where you start your injured star and he has to leave the game early or the one where you sit him and he goes "wacky-tobaccy"? And how good is your potential replacement? I mean, if I have Bryant and am trying to decide whether to use him, it certainly makes a difference if I have Danario Alexander ready to fill in or Nate Washington. In the former case, I'm more risk-averse because I've got what I figure will be a reliable replacement. In the latter case, I'm more like, "Dude, what's the difference? Might as well give Dez a crack."

Whether I consider myself a favorite or an underdog in my playoff matchup plays a role. If I have a team filled with other high-upside studs, maybe I just want to make sure I get something from the position in question, so I sit Dez. But if I look at my matchup and figure I'm a major underdog, I might be likelier to try and hit a home run, even at the risk of striking out.

I can tell you in regard to the specific players I mentioned, I'd say my level of concern -- from highest concern to lowest -- goes like this: Bradshaw, Bryant, Griffin, Shorts, White. When I ranked players this week, Bradshaw was the guy I really dinged hard for his injury, and as the week has gone on, I've felt more and more like I ought to recommend David Wilson in his stead. However, unless Bradshaw is declared out, it's tough to promise that Wilson gets a full workload. I lowered Bryant a bit from where I'd normally have him but still ranked him as a starter in most fantasy leagues. The other guys I pretty much left where I usually put them, though I acknowledge, for example, that RG III's mobility could be hindered.

In the end, though, this is about your own personal tummy and how much it's bothered by the possibility of fantasy football disaster.

Five In Brief

6. Don't Bench Tony Romo. You may look at Romo's Week 15 matchup against the Steelers and worry, and it's true that Pittsburgh has consistently represented one of the toughest defenses for opposing quarterbacks to face. Before last week's game against the San Diego Chargers, it had held each opposing quarterback below his five-week moving fantasy points average since Week 6. But I don't think it's a coincidence that Philip Rivers produced a decent day Sunday, even if it was a tough performance to predict beforehand. Top corner Ike Taylor missed the contest with a hairline fracture in his leg, and he'll be out this week too. CBs Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen (Taylor's starting fill-in against the Chargers last week) are suffering from hip injuries, and while they might go, they don't figure to be at full health. New nickel corner Curtis Brown was benched last week for ineffective play. Certainly Bryant's finger drama will have a bearing on Romo's performance but not enough for me to fear using the Dallas Cowboys quarterback. He has averaged 45.5 pass attempts per game over the past month, and Dallas shouldn't be afraid to throw it on this group Sunday.

7. Cam Newton Update. I ranked Newton as my No. 1 QB of Week 15, and it felt like an overreaction. Yes, he has exceeded 27 fantasy points in three straight weeks, but he'd gone over 15 points in only four of 10 previous starts and has thrown for 300 yards in a game just thrice. When he doesn't run, he's not an elite fantasy quarterback, and from Week 5 to Week 11, he ran for exactly one touchdown. But there's so much uncertainty with just about every other quarterback at this moment that I was willing to give the red-hot Newton the nod. Yet I want to go back to the anchor piece I wrote for our Draft Kit this summer. I began that article expecting to dislike Newton for this season, viewing his 14 rushing touchdown and insane September 2011 as fool's gold, but the more I looked at it, the more I believed that Newton was a relatively safe second- or third-round draftee. I said his floor was this stat line: 3,500 passing yards, 20 TD passes, 15 INTs, 500 rushing yards and five rushing TDs. At the moment, Big Cam is on pace for 3,963/20/12/788/9. It's true that there have been more ups and downs than his fantasy owners would have liked; if we'd projected his final stat line after Week 11, it would have been 3,832/14/16/630/6. But in VBD terms, even that line would have made Newton a top-five QB last year, and would have made him worthy of a late-second- or early-third-round pick. As I said this summer, the greatest thing about Newton is that he is a rushing quarterback who minimizes risk because of his size. If I'm choosing between him and RG III next year? Wow. I might go Cam, because of the injury factor.

8. Heath Miller Tortures You. The Steelers knew all about garbage time last week. With nine minutes left in the game, the Chargers led 34-10 in one of the weekend's big shockers. Thereafter, Ben Roethlisberger racked up 138 of his 285 yards, and Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown registered meaningless touchdowns -- meaningless, that is, except for their fantasy owners. But it was Miller who broke hearts. From the Chargers' 44 with just over two minutes to play, things started well, with a 13-yard pass to Miller over the middle. A couple plays later, though, from the 27, Big Ben dropped back with 1:46 left and found Miller on a post, hitting him at the 12, watching him run over Corey Lynch and almost get away from Eric Weddle and seeing him stretch the ball toward the goal line. The replay official took a look at it, and I still think Miller might have crossed the plane as his knee touched down, but there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn the call. So Pittsburgh had it on the 1-inch line. As though to right a karmic wrong, Roethlisberger threw to Miller again, a simple stop route in the end zone. He was wide open, the pass was perfect, and Miller leapt ... and simply dropped the pass. Truly brutal if you were watching that game hoping for garbage points. Brown scored his touchdown on the next play. In the end, I'm firmly of the belief that Roethlisberger's return is a great thing for Miller, but last Sunday afternoon, fantasy was a cruel mistress indeed.

9. Colin Kaepernick's Day. You can't argue with the 50-yard touchdown run that put Sunday's win over the Miami Dolphins out of reach. It's a clear part of why Jim Harbaugh picked Kaepernick over Alex Smith and highlighted the ridiculous acceleration the young quarterback boasts, which is pretty impressive for a 6-foot-4 player. But the 49ers' game plan that day was pure Smith. I counted one attempted bomb that Kaepernick threw on a flea flicker and that Randy Moss probably should have caught at the goal line, but there wasn't a single other pass that traveled more than 20 yards in the air. Only five of his 23 attempts traveled more than 10 yards. The gunslinger from that Monday night Chicago Bears game last month is rarely seen now, yet it was clear during a two-minute drill to end the first half Sunday that Kaepernick absolutely can lead an aggressive passing attack. In a three-minute span, he hit Michael Crabtree on an intermediate out, took an aggressive shot to Moss in the middle of the Dolphins zone and made a smart throw to LaMichael James on a wheel route. Mostly, though, we see the same constipated attack based on throws across the field to the opposite sideline and checkdowns to unexciting underneath stuff. As impressed as I am with what I see in Kaepernick's arm and smarts, I just don't see a fantasy starter in most leagues. If he doesn't run for that touchdown last week, he winds up with seven fantasy points. Maybe someday the reins will come off; heck, maybe they'll have to come off Sunday night in New England. For now, though, the San Francisco offense, while good, just isn't what it could be.

10. Now or Never for C.J. Spiller. For the second straight season, Fred Jackson will end the season on injured reserve. You'll recall that Jackson's broken leg in Week 11 of 2011 was the impetus for Spiller's breakout. From Week 12 forward, Spiller's average contest looked like this: 18 touches for 105 yards from scrimmage and a touchdown. Since his huge first two weeks of 2012, Spiller has quietly been something of a fantasy disappointment, with an average line of 13 touches for 85 total yards and zero TDs. Heck, since those first two games, Spiller ranks 18th in the NFL in rush yards, one notch behind the villainous Ryan Mathews. And no matter what Chan Gailey says about his strategy in bad weather, it's hard to watch the game tape from Weeks 13 and 14 and not think that Jackson had re-passed Spiller for the lead RB job. There's been nothing I've seen from Spiller that explains this turn of events. I didn't see him blow any obvious pass protections or lose any fumbles lately. Gailey apparently just really likes Jackson, a Buffalo Bills team leader, and doesn't mind that he is far less explosive than Spiller. But with Jackson out of the picture, Gailey pledged in a news conference that Spiller will be his guy and that Tashard Choice isn't someone he is prepared to rely on for any kind of sizable workload. Has Gailey fibbed about his backfield before? He sure has. But now it feels like he is out of viable options. Spiller should see his biggest opportunity since getting 17 and 18 touches in Jackson's absence during the season's first two games, and I ranked him eighth among running backs this week.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Time to deal Dwight Howard?

By Josh Whitling, Special to ESPN.com

The Knicks beat the Lakers 116-107 Thursday night, marking the Lakers' fourth consecutive loss and sixth in their past seven contests. Dwight Howard had 20 points and seven boards and once again put up decent enough stats to deflect the type of criticism Pau Gasol was receiving before he was sidelined with knee tendinitis. But looking at Howard's numbers closely, his 18.5 points per game and 11.9 rebounds per game are unimpressive compared to his 20.5 and 14.6 from last season, and he's shooting 49.2 percent from the stripe on a career-high 11 attempts per game.

I've never been a fan of his in the fantasy world and had him on my preseason bust list because of those crippling free throws. The fact they are more harmful than ever and that his points and boards are down is disappointing, and if you own him in a roto league I'd shop him if you can get a top-40 player for him. Even if he improves as he adjusts and Steve Nash returns, the damage he inflicts on your free throw percentage -- he currently has a minus-8.24 Player Rater ranking in the category -- simply isn't worth the positive contributions he provides.

<!-- begin inline 1 -->[h=4]THURSDAY, DEC. 13[/h][h=5]Highlights[/h]Devin Harris, Hawks: 20 points (7-11 FG), 4 assists, 4 3-pointers versus Bobcats
Damian Lillard, Trail Blazers: 29 points (5-5 FT), 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 3-pointers versus Spurs
Metta World Peace, Lakers: 23 points (6-7 FT), 6 rebounds, 3 3-pointers, 2 steals versus Knicks
[h=5]Lowlights[/h]Antawn Jamison, Lakers: 3 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist versus Knicks
Byron Mullens, Bobcats: 3 points (1-8 FG), 2 rebounds versus Hawks
Jeff Teague, Hawks: 6 points, 4 assists, 1 steal versus Bobcats

<!-- end inline 1 -->[h=3]Looking Back[/h]
• Gerald Henderson is still coming off the bench for the Bobcats, but played a team-high 31 minutes and scored 17 points against the Hawks. The rub with Henderson is that he doesn't provide much other than semi-efficient scoring. He's owned in just 26.3 percent of leagues and is worth owning if you need the scoring, but he's not worth it if you're looking for all-around help.

• Tyson Chandler continued his torrid December, scoring 18 points on a perfect 5 for 5 from the floor. His rebounding has picked up considerably this month, as he's averaging 12.7 boards compared to 8.7 per game in November, and he's the most helpful player on the Player Rater in field goal percentage. He's also ranked 27th overall on the Player Rater, although his terrific contributions have been overshadowed by the Knicks' insane 3-point shooting.

• LaMarcus Aldridge scored 22 points on 10-for-16 shooting and has improved his numbers recently, averaging 22.4 points, 10.2 rebounds, 2.0 blocks and 1.6 steals on 53.8 percent shooting in his past five contests. He's 11th on the Player Rater over the past 15 days, justifying his average draft position of 14.4, and after a slow start in which he shot 44.2 percent from the floor in November, he's back to performing like the top-20 player we expected.

• DeShawn Stevenson returned after missing Wednesday's game with a knee injury and dropped three 3-pointers in 19 minutes from the starting lineup. He's good for absolutely nothing else, but in deep leagues if you need 3s, Stevenson is capable of providing them, the same way the ATM in his kitchen is capable of providing some quick cash if you're strapped.

[h=3]Looking Ahead[/h]
• With Andrea Bargnani sidelined indefinitely and Kyle Lowry out around 10 days with a triceps injury, Ed Davis should once again shoulder a bulk of the scoring load for the Raptors. He scored 24 points on 11-for-13 shooting with 12 boards on Wednesday and should be added in all leagues, as he's capable of providing efficient scoring, rebounds and blocks.

• Additionally, Jose Calderon once again has tremendous value with Lowry sidelined. In eight starts, he's averaging 12.5 points, 12.3 assists and 2.3 3s this season, and any time Lowry's out, Calderon should be owned and started in every format.

• Brook Lopez is expected to return against the Pistons, so even though he'll likely be limited, be sure to get him back in your lineup as he's a focal point of the Nets' offensive attack.

• Tyreke Evans returned Wednesday, scoring a team-high 17 points off the bench. He should be back in the starting lineup shortly, possibly Friday, and back in your fantasy lineup as well.

• Gordon Hayward is shooting 52.4 percent from downtown this month and should see continued success against a Suns team allowing a league-worst 40.6 percent on 3-pointers this season.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Four Downs: Joneses do well; Bucs don't
in.gif

Eric Karabell

Two wide receivers with the initials "J.J." certainly enjoyed their Sunday, with a varying degree of fantasy owners cashing in. In Atlanta, Julio Jones delivered his second 20-point (standard scoring) fantasy performance in a month, picking up the slack for a banged-up Roddy White and leading the Atlanta Falcons to a 34-0 whitewash of the New York Giants. In Chicago, the seemingly buried James Jones scored a Week 15-high three touchdowns as the Green Bay Packers held off the Chicago Bears, 21-13. These guys named J.J. are not particularly similar in terms of skills or fantasy value, but in each case they reminded owners of their considerable upside.

<offer>For Julio Jones, who has frustrated fantasy owners with somewhat inconsistent play of late (likely due to ankle woes), he was active in more than 91 percent of ESPN standard leagues, and did not disappoint his owners, catching all six of his targets for 74 yards and two scores. Jones is matchup-proof and a must-start each week, even when White isn't nursing a knee problem, and his final two matchups are similarly attractive (Detroit Lions, Tampa Bay Buccaneers). There's risk that the Falcons will clinch the top NFC seed in Week 16 and sit their stars in the finale, but the way Jones is finishing his sophomore season, he's making a strong case for top-5 wide receiver status next season, perhaps sitting in the same neighborhood after the great Calvin Johnson as Brandon Marshall, A.J. Green and Demaryius Thomas as second-rounders in standard drafts.

For James Jones, who has just a fraction of the targets, receptions and yards of the leaders, no NFL player has caught more than his 12 touchdown passes. Think about that for a minute. A year ago, Jones' teammate Jordy Nelson scored 15 touchdowns on 68 catches; Jones has 12 touchdowns and 51 receptions with two games left, on barely a third of the yards Calvin Johnson has accumulated. Fantasy owners have whined about the "mediocre" play of quarterback Aaron Rodgers for a month, as he entered Sunday having failed to exceed 15 fantasy points in any game since Week 9, but he skewered the Bears for 24 points. Randall Cobb continues to be Rodgers' top receiver, but Jones was fourth among Green Bay wide receivers in terms of being active (27.6 percent of leagues), and that makes little sense. This was Jones' first game with more than two receptions since Week 9, but he'll make for an attractive flex option the final two weeks (Tennessee Titans, Minnesota Vikings) with Rodgers upping his play, Nelson still nursing a hamstring injury and Greg Jennings slowly working his way back to high-end relevance from his groin injury.

Second down: As for fantasy's top performer on Sunday (entering the night game), Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson led this Sunday night blog entry just two weeks ago with what appeared to be his signature game: 26 fantasy points against the mighty Bears defense at Soldier Field. On Sunday, Wilson delivered an even bigger outing, as he rushed for three touchdowns against the beleaguered Buffalo Bills. In fact, of Wilson's 39 fantasy points, a figure topped overall in one game this season only by Doug Martin's 51 standard points in Week 9 -- the Seahawks defense also scored 39 points a week ago -- 27 of those points were thanks to his rushing work. Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, likely the league and fantasy MVP, rushed for 212 yards and a touchdown Sunday, also worth precisely 27 points. Wilson added 12 more points throwing the football. As noted a few weeks ago, Wilson hasn't received anywhere near the attention of fellow rookies Robert Griffin III or Andrew Luck, but with his recent rushing prowess, he has easily been a top-10 quarterback the second half of the season. He'll rank outside the top 10 again in Week 16 against the San Francisco 49ers, but at least add the fellow -- he's somehow owned in only 27.3 percent of leagues! -- so your opponent can't beat you with him in your playoffs.

Third down: Not all the news was positive Sunday, as several key Buccaneers hurt fantasy owners in a seemingly can't-miss matchup against the weak New Orleans Saints defense. The aforementioned Martin and quarterback Josh Freeman, ranked 12th and 14th, respectively, in ESPN standard scoring for the season entering Sunday, combined for a woeful 3 points at the worst possible time. Veteran fantasy owners know this is standard fare for playoff time, surprising performances good and bad deciding championships or eliminating top teams. However, if your team survived the feeble outings from Martin/Freeman on Sunday, you should go back to trusting them in Week 16 against the St. Louis Rams. Perhaps that's easier said than done, but look at the big picture. These fellows have been consistent and productive, other than Sunday, and the Rams were just skewered by the great Peterson for 212 yards! Martin and Freeman are healthy; keep them active moving forward.

Fourth down: Meanwhile, Eli Manning entered play in Atlanta with eight touchdown passes over three games, but he was held to only 2 fantasy points, doing so as the sixth-most active quarterback in ESPN standard formats. That hurts, but don't blame a weak arm, as Manning had been playing well, but he completed only eight passes (in 16 attempts) when throwing more than 5 yards downfield. He'll be worth trusting the final two weeks against the Baltimore Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles. Many eyes were on running back David Wilson, the most added player in ESPN leagues this week. With starter Ahmad Bradshaw inactive, Wilson was started in nearly a third of ESPN standard leagues, but he didn't get many chances to make plays in the blowout loss, rushing 12 times for 55 yards, catching one pass and having little effect in the return game. Wilson is talented, and if Bradshaw sits against the Ravens, he'll remain a worthy RB2. As with Manning and the quiet Victor Cruz (only 15 receiving yards), don't let one performance fool you.
</offer>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Gridiron Challenge: Week 16 preview

By Tom Carpenter
ESPN.com

It's hard to believe we've nearly reached the end of the season. It seems like it was only days ago that we were putting together our Week 1 lineups, yet here we stand with just two weeks to go. If your GC team has gone in the tank, there's still enough time to make moves, but keep in mind that ESPN once again has the playoff edition of the Gridiron Challenge to test your fantasy football skills. In the meantime, let's take a look at some quality plays for Week 16, as we are all no doubt hard up against the salary cap and need every value option we can find.
Quarterbacks
Matt Ryan (7.1), Atlanta Falcons: Entering last week, a month had passed since the last time Ryan had tossed three touchdown passes in a game. Against the Giants, though, he aired it out for 270 yards and three scores for 22 GC points, one better than the 21 he posted on the Panthers the week prior. Now he gets the floundering Detroit Lions, which means he might even post a higher score than the past two weeks.
Eli Manning (6.0), New York Giants: Eli is the living embodiment of the love/hate relationship we share with fantasy football. One minute we love the game with all our hearts and the next minute we hate it with every ounce of spite. So goes the ebb and flow of fantasy football, as well as Manning's performances from game to game. Here's a guy we were cursing during his three-game touchdown-less stretch, then loving during his three-game, eight-touchdown stretch. Then, when it mattered most, in Week 15, all he can muster is 161 passing yards, no TDs and six GC points. Time will tell whether we love or hate using him in Week 16, but on paper, Manning is an excellent play at home versus the porous Baltimore Ravens secondary. He also comes $300K cheaper than he did last week, thanks to his hideous Week 15 performance.
Kirk Cousins (5.1), Washington Redskins: Many wondered why the Redskins dropped a fourth-round pick on the Spartan, but they are looking like geniuses at the moment. Not only did he lead the Skins to a Week 15 win in Robert Griffin III's absence, he put together a 23-point Gridiron Challenge performance. If RG III sits, Cousins will be in position to match that performance against the beatable Philadelphia Eagles defense. If RG III does play, then I would look to Ryan Tannehill ($5.4 million) over Nick Foles ($4.8 million), if you are digging through the cheap contracts for a Week 16 play.
Running backs
Reggie Bush (7.0), Miami Dolphins: Bush's season has been plagued by inconsistency, but he posted 104 rushing yards on the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 15 and has a tasty Week 16 matchup against the Buffalo Bills, who have allowed 144.1 rushing yards per game and an NFL-worst 22 rushing touchdowns this season. Toss in the fact Bush should be extra motivated by playing for his next contract -- likely with a new team -- and he looks like a high-end play this week.
Knowshon Moreno (5.9), Denver Broncos: Not much needs to be said here. He has posted back-to-back 100-yard games with a touchdown, is playing on an offense that can move the ball on anyone and is facing a mediocre Cleveland Browns defense in a home matchup in Week 16. Basically, he's a high-upside play with little risk at a good price.
David Wilson (2.8), Giants: Wilson never got going in Week 15, but that was primarily due to the Giants falling behind early and essentially abandoning the running game. This week he has a friendlier matchup versus the Ravens and should be a high-upside play if Ahmad Bradshaw sits. Thanks to his playmaking ability, Wilson may still be worth using even if Bradshaw is active, especially factoring in his ridiculously low cost.
Wide receivers

Randall Cobb (7.0), Green Bay Packers: The Packers receiver has had back-to-back 100-yard games, but he hasn't crossed the goal line with ball in hand since Week 11. Look for that to change in Week 16 when they face the Tennessee Titans, who have given up 26 passing touchdowns this season. He should be in line for a big game, which makes him worth doling out the extra cheese to add this Packer to your Week 16 roster.Brandon Lloyd (6.1), New England Patriots: It took him most of the season to get going, but Lloyd has been an absolute stud the past two weeks. During that stretch, he has snagged 17 passes for 279 yards and one touchdown. Keep in mind that he had had 16 catches over his previous seven games, so there's no doubt he has been an important part of their offense. Will he remain in that role this week? Time will tell, but he has a lot of upside against the Jaguars and still comes at a cheap price thanks to his midseason struggles.
Danny Amendola (5.7), St. Louis Rams: There's always the risk of Amendola getting hurt, but he made it through last week healthy after pulling in six balls for 58 yards and a score. Now he gets to go up against the NFL's most porous secondary in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He falls in the high-risk/high-reward category this week but is worth a roll of the dice considering his reasonable market value.
Tight ends
Aaron Hernandez (6.5), Patriots: He won't come cheap, but he's clearly the safest play at tight end and probably has the most upside. The Pats face the lowly Jaguars, so Hernandez figures to come up with another hefty game in Week 16.
Jermichael Finley (4.7), Packers: We know that he has the talent to be a stud and that he lacks the requisite focus to make that come to fruition on a regular basis. That's why it sounds like the Packers are preparing to part ways with him this offseason. Hopefully, playing for his next contract will help him focus a little more in Week 16, when he has a terrific matchup against the Titans, who have allowed the third-most points per game to opposing tight ends this season (9.3). If there is ever a week for Finley to take advantage of his skills, this is it, and at this cheap price, he's worth a shot.
Kickers
Sebastian Janikowski (3.9), Oakland Raiders: Seabass came up big in Week 15 with a 15-point performance, knocking five field goals through the uprights. Week 16 brings what should be another field goal-friendly matchup against the Carolina Panthers, whose defense has been vulnerable enough to move the ball on but stout enough to keep opponents out of the end zone.
Nick Novak (3.6), San Diego Chargers: There really isn't much in the way of quality value at the bottom of the kicker contract heap this week, but Novak is at least in a decent position for success. First off, he tanked so badly last week that his market value dropped $400K, so he comes on the cheap at $3.6 million. Secondly, he should have multiple chances to put his boot on the ball.
Defenses
New York Jets (4.7), versus Chargers: It's hard to recommend anything related to the Jets right now, but part of the reason they have been so hard to watch lately is because their defense has actually done a decent job. Enter turnover-happy quarterback Philip Rivers in a home game in New York. That should make the Jets' D a viable option in Week 16.
Indianapolis Colts (3.9), versus Kansas City Chiefs: We know the Colts can play well (GC scores of 12, 16 and 22 during their past six games) and poorly (GC scores of minus-1, 3 and minus-10 during that same stretch). Week 16 is set up for the Colts to play well and post a good score against a Chiefs team that will start an injured Brady Quinn or an unproven Ricky Stanzi at quarterback. Either way, it's a recipe for success when it comes to the Colts' D.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Goal-Line Grid

By Fantasy Insider | ESPN.com

RECENT/SEASON TOTALS | Weeks 1-4 | Weeks 5-8 | Weeks 9-12 | Weeks 13-15<!-- end inline 1 -->
Player <center> Week 13 </center><center> Week 14 </center><center> Week 15 </center><center> SEASON TOTAL </center>
Arizona Cardinals <center> Opp </center><center> In5 </center><center> TD </center><center> Opp </center><center> In5 </center><center> TD </center><center> Opp </center><center> In5 </center><center> TD </center><center> Opp </center><center> In5 </center><center> TD </center>
ari.gif
LaRod Stephens-Howling 4 0 0 3 0 0 6 0 0 123 7 4
Beanie Wells 15 0 0 6 0 0 17 3 2 85 6 3
Ryan Williams -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 68 4 0
William Powell 4 0 0 8 0 0 5 0 0 61 0 0
Kevin Kolb -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 16 1 1
Notes: Williams (shoulder) placed on IR following Week 5; Kolb (ribs, shoulder) was inactive Weeks 13-15
Atlanta Falcons<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
atl.gif
Michael Turner 13 2 1 7 2 1 18 4 1 228 22 7
Jacquizz Rodgers 10 0 0 11 0 0 12 0 0 135 2 1
Jason Snelling 5 0 0 2 0 0 9 0 0 49 2 1
Matt Ryan 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 30 1 1
Luke McCown -- -- -- -- -- -- 2 1 0 2 1 0
Notes: McCown did not play Weeks 13-14
Baltimore Ravens<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
bal.gif
Ray Rice 14 0 0 23 0 0 19 0 0 307 7 3
Bernard Pierce 9 0 0 10 0 0 5 0 0 78 0 0
Vonta Leach 4 0 0 4 0 0 2 0 0 32 1 1
Joe Flacco 1 0 0 5 0 0 2 0 0 29 2 2
Buffalo Bills<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
buf.gif
C.J. Spiller 15 0 0 8 0 0 22 0 0 210 2 1
Fred Jackson 28 1 0 14 0 0 -- -- -- 155 7 3
Tashard Choice 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 50 2 0
Ryan Fitzpatrick 5 1 1 3 0 0 3 0 0 44 4 1
Johnny White -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 8 0 0
Notes: Jackson (knee) placed on IR following Week 14; White was released following Week 5
Carolina Panthers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
car.gif
DeAngelo Williams 13 0 0 20 0 0 24 2 0 156 6 1
Jonathan Stewart -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 117 4 1
Cam Newton 7 0 0 9 0 0 4 2 0 108 13 6
Mike Tolbert 6 0 0 8 0 0 11 2 2 71 4 4
Notes: Stewart (ankle) was inactive Weeks 13-15
Chicago Bears<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
chi.gif
Matt Forte 24 0 0 20 0 0 27 3 0 270 6 0
Michael Bush 8 0 0 1 0 0 -- -- -- 125 7 5
Jay Cutler 5 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 34 0 0
Armando Allen 0 0 0 1 0 0 3 0 0 23 1 0
Kahlil Bell -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 13 0 0
Notes: Bush did not play Week 15; Bell was released before Week 7, re-signed before Week 16
Cincinnati Bengals<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
cin.gif
BenJarvus Green-Ellis 29 1 0 15 0 0 25 3 1 289 14 5
Andy Dalton 4 0 0 1 0 0 8 0 0 45 3 2
Cedric Peerman 2 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 40 2 1
Brian Leonard 2 0 0 6 0 0 4 0 0 36 0 0
Bernard Scott -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 8 1 0
Chris Pressley 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 1
Notes: Peerman (ankle) was inactive Weeks 14-15; Scott (knee) placed on IR following Week 5; Pressley (knee) placed on IR following Week 15
Cleveland Browns<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
cle.gif
Trent Richardson 25 2 1 20 4 2 14 2 1 322 12 5
Montario Hardesty 5 0 0 11 1 0 2 0 0 50 3 1
Chris Ogbonnaya 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 31 0 0
Brandon Weeden 5 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 25 0 0
Dallas Cowboys<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
dal.gif
DeMarco Murray 27 2 1 26 2 1 18 1 1 165 5 3
Felix Jones 7 0 0 3 0 0 3 0 0 143 3 2
Lance Dunbar 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 32 0 0
Tony Romo 3 0 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 31 2 1
Phillip Tanner 0 0 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- 30 2 0
Notes: Tanner (healthy scratch) was inactive Week 15
Denver Broncos<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
den.gif
Willis McGahee -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 201 13 4
Knowshon Moreno 26 0 0 37 3 1 24 0 0 120 3 1
Ronnie Hillman 5 0 0 5 0 0 14 0 0 86 1 1
Lance Ball 2 0 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- 39 2 0
Jacob Hester -- -- -- -- -- -- 7 1 1 7 1 1
Notes: McGahee (knee) placed on "designated for return" IR following Week 11; Ball (healthy scratch) was inactive Week 15; Hester was signed before Week 13, inactive Weeks 13-14 (healthy scratch)
Detroit Lions<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
det.gif
Mikel Leshoure 24 0 0 15 1 0 16 1 1 224 6 5
Joique Bell 10 0 0 18 0 0 11 0 0 126 3 1
Kevin Smith 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 50 4 2
Matthew Stafford 1 0 0 3 1 1 0 0 0 32 5 4
Green Bay Packers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
gnb.gif
Alex Green 13 0 0 15 0 0 16 0 0 163 2 0
Cedric Benson -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 87 1 1
James Starks 17 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 77 0 0
Aaron Rodgers 4 0 0 3 0 0 5 0 0 51 4 0
John Kuhn 8 0 0 2 0 0 2 0 0 41 1 1
DuJuan Harris -- -- -- 7 0 0 5 0 0 12 0 0
Graham Harrell -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 1 1 0
Notes: Benson (foot) placed on "designated for return" IR following Week 5; Starks (knee) was inactive Weeks 14-15 and is out indefinitely; Harris promoted from practice squad before Week 13, did not play Week 13; Harrell did not play Weeks 13-15
Houston Texans<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
hou.gif
Arian Foster 19 2 1 21 1 1 29 1 0 375 32 13
Ben Tate 3 0 0 9 1 0 5 0 0 69 3 1
Justin Forsett 14 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 67 0 0
James Casey 3 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 39 2 2
Matt Schaub 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 20 0 0
T.J. Yates -- -- -- 1 1 1 -- -- -- 1 1 1
Notes: Yates did not play Weeks 13, 15
Indianapolis Colts<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
ind.gif
Vick Ballard 13 0 0 20 0 0 18 1 0 188 2 0
Donald Brown 8 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 122 1 0
Andrew Luck 3 0 0 5 0 0 2 0 0 51 6 5
Delone Carter 0 0 0 4 2 1 -- -- -- 35 4 3
Mewelde Moore -- -- -- -- -- -- 4 1 0 19 3 1
Notes: Brown (ankle) was inactive Week 14, placed on IR following Week 14; Carter (ankle) was inactive Week 15 and out 2-3 weeks; Moore released following Week 8, re-signed before Week 15
Jacksonville Jaguars<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
jac.gif
Rashad Jennings 8 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 127 5 2
Maurice Jones-Drew -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 103 1 1
Jalen Parmele -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 50 3 0
Montell Owens 8 1 0 15 0 0 13 0 0 39 1 0
Blaine Gabbert -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 18 1 0
Chad Henne 4 1 1 1 0 0 3 0 0 16 1 1
Richard Murphy 0 0 0 4 0 0 6 0 0 10 0 0
Notes: Jennings (concussion) was inactive Weeks 14-15; Jones-Drew (foot) was inactive Weeks 13-15; Parmele (groin) placed on IR following Week 12; Gabbert (forearm, shoulder) placed on IR following Week 11; Murphy promoted from practice squad before Week 13
Kansas City Chiefs<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
kan.gif
Jamaal Charles 31 0 0 20 0 0 13 0 0 293 2 0
Shaun Draughn 0 0 0 3 0 0 3 0 0 80 1 1
Peyton Hillis 13 2 1 6 1 0 2 0 0 77 4 1
Dexter McCluster 3 0 0 2 0 0 8 0 0 75 0 0
Matt Cassel -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 27 2 1
Nate Eachus 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 8 0 0
Cyrus Gray 1 0 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- 8 0 0
Notes: Cassel did not play Weeks 13-15; Eachus (healthy scratch) was inactive Weeks 14-15; Gray (shoulder) was inactive Week 15
Miami Dolphins<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
mia.gif
Reggie Bush 16 0 0 21 0 0 23 0 0 244 2 0
Daniel Thomas 7 1 0 2 1 0 1 0 0 113 9 4
Ryan Tannehill 5 1 1 3 0 0 8 0 0 41 3 2
Lamar Miller 0 0 0 4 0 0 7 0 0 40 0 0
Charles Clay 2 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 29 0 0
Jorvorskie Lane 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 1 23 3 3
Minnesota Vikings<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
min.gif
Adrian Peterson 23 0 0 33 4 2 24 2 0 333 16 6
Toby Gerhart 3 0 0 4 0 0 8 0 0 65 1 0
Christian Ponder 6 1 0 4 0 0 4 1 1 52 2 1
Matt Asiata 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 1 0
New England Patriots<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
nwe.gif
Stevan Ridley 19 2 1 18 1 0 10 1 0 264 18 6
Danny Woodhead 9 0 0 4 0 0 21 3 1 114 5 2
Shane Vereen 4 0 0 9 0 0 1 0 0 67 4 3
Brandon Bolden -- -- -- 2 0 0 0 0 0 47 5 1
Tom Brady 4 1 0 1 0 0 3 1 1 23 5 4
Notes: Bolden (knee) was suspended Week 13
New Orleans Saints<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
nor.gif
Pierre Thomas 15 0 0 13 0 0 7 0 0 137 2 1
Mark Ingram 7 1 1 13 0 0 15 0 0 134 4 2
Darren Sproles 9 1 0 12 0 0 11 1 1 113 4 2
Chris Ivory 4 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 39 0 0
Drew Brees 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 14 1 1
Jed Collins 2 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 14 1 1
Travaris Cadet 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 9 1 0
Notes: Ivory (hamstring) was inactive Weeks 14-15
New York Giants<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
nyg.gif
Ahmad Bradshaw 26 1 0 11 0 0 -- -- -- 223 11 3
Andre Brown -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 89 12 8
David Wilson 4 0 0 14 1 0 15 0 0 62 2 0
Eli Manning 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 19 1 0
Henry Hynoski 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 17 2 0
Kregg Lumpkin 1 0 0 0 0 0 9 0 0 10 0 0
Da'Rel Scott -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 6 0 0
Notes: Bradshaw (knee) was inactive Week 15; Brown (fibula) placed on "designated for return" IR following Week 12; Lumpkin was signed before Week 13; Scott (knee) placed on IR following Week 6
New York Jets<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
nyj.gif
Shonn Greene 24 1 0 20 2 1 16 0 0 268 15 5
Bilal Powell 13 1 0 19 1 1 8 0 0 118 6 3
Tim Tebow -- -- -- -- -- -- 3 0 0 33 3 0
Joe McKnight 2 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 30 1 0
Mark Sanchez 1 0 0 3 0 0 4 0 0 20 1 0
Greg McElroy 4 2 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 4 2 0
Notes: Tebow was inactive Week 13 (ribs), did not play Week 14; McElroy (healthy scratch) was inactive Weeks 14-15
Oakland Raiders<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
oak.gif
Darren McFadden -- -- -- 15 0 0 34 1 0 235 7 1
Marcel Reece 14 0 0 5 0 0 2 0 0 124 1 0
Mike Goodson -- -- -- 0 0 0 14 0 0 46 0 0
Jeremy Stewart 10 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 33 0 0
Carson Palmer 1 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 18 2 1
Notes: McFadden (ankle) was inactive Week 13; Goodson (ankle) was inactive Week 13; Stewart (healthy scratch) was inactive Weeks 14-15
Philadelphia Eagles<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
phi.gif
LeSean McCoy -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 228 11 3
Bryce Brown 31 1 1 14 0 0 18 2 0 122 8 2
Michael Vick -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 57 4 1
Stanley Havili 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 18 1 1
Dion Lewis 2 0 0 4 0 0 2 0 0 13 0 0
Notes: McCoy (concussion) was inactive Weeks 13-15; Vick (concussion) was inactive Weeks 13-15
Pittsburgh Steelers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
pit.gif
Jonathan Dwyer 20 0 0 12 0 0 10 1 1 154 5 1
Isaac Redman 10 0 0 3 0 0 4 0 0 121 4 2
Chris Rainey 0 0 0 2 0 0 5 0 0 47 1 1
Rashard Mendenhall -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 42 0 0
Baron Batch -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 31 2 1
Will Johnson 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 23 1 1
Ben Roethlisberger -- -- -- 5 0 0 2 0 0 22 0 0
Notes: Mendenhall (healthy scratch) was inactive Weeks 13-14, was suspended Week 15; Batch was released following Week 11; Roethlisberger (ribs, shoulder) was inactive Week 13
San Diego Chargers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
sdg.gif
Ryan Mathews 16 0 0 25 0 0 8 0 0 236 0 0
Ronnie Brown 8 0 0 6 0 0 -- -- -- 92 1 0
Jackie Battle 0 0 0 2 0 0 5 0 0 67 10 4
Curtis Brinkley -- -- -- -- -- -- 9 0 0 49 0 0
Le'Ron McClain 3 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 23 0 0
Notes: Mathews (collarbone) is out for the season; Brown (hamstring) was inactive Week 15; Brinkley (healthy scratch) was inactive Weeks 13-14
Seattle Seahawks<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
sea.gif
Marshawn Lynch 21 1 1 11 1 1 11 0 0 295 9 5
Robert Turbin 1 0 0 21 0 0 11 1 0 95 1 0
Russell Wilson 9 0 0 3 0 0 9 0 0 78 0 0
Leon Washington 4 0 0 7 1 1 3 0 0 30 1 1
Michael Robinson 3 0 0 1 0 0 3 0 0 23 1 1
San Francisco 49ers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
sfo.gif
Frank Gore 24 1 1 14 1 1 23 1 0 262 10 5
Kendall Hunter -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 85 3 1
Colin Kaepernick 9 0 0 6 0 0 7 1 0 53 3 0
Alex Smith -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 29 0 0
LaMichael James -- -- -- 9 0 0 10 0 0 19 0 0
Anthony Dixon 0 0 0 2 1 1 2 0 0 16 2 2
Notes: Hunter (Achilles') placed on IR following Week 12; Smith did not play Weeks 13-15; James (healthy scratch) was inactive Week 13
St. Louis Rams<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
stl.gif
Steven Jackson 28 0 0 21 1 1 23 0 0 269 7 1
Daryl Richardson 6 0 0 3 0 0 7 0 0 120 2 0
Sam Bradford 3 0 0 4 0 0 2 0 0 34 1 1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
tam.gif
Doug Martin 22 0 0 33 2 1 14 0 0 330 17 5
LeGarrette Blount -- -- -- 1 0 0 4 0 0 43 4 1
Josh Freeman 2 0 0 2 0 0 2 0 0 34 0 0
Erik Lorig 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 14 2 1
Notes: Blount did not play Week 13
Tennessee Titans<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
ten.gif
Chris Johnson 18 0 0 22 1 0 21 0 0 286 4 0
Jake Locker 4 0 0 4 0 0 7 0 0 32 0 0
Darius Reynaud 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 21 0 0
Jamie Harper -- -- -- 0 0 0 0 0 0 14 3 3
Notes: Harper (ankle) was inactive Week 13
Washington Redskins<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
was.gif
Alfred Morris 22 0 0 23 2 1 29 2 1 292 11 6
Robert Griffin III 5 0 0 7 0 0 -- -- -- 113 6 3
Evan Royster 1 0 0 4 0 0 6 1 1 42 3 2
Darrel Young 3 0 0 1 0 0 4 1 0 26 1 0
Roy Helu -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 9 0 0
Kirk Cousins -- -- -- 0 0 0 3 1 0 3 1 0
Notes: Griffin (knee) was inactive Week 15; Helu (toe, Achilles') placed on IR following Week 3; Cousins did not play Week 13

<thead>
</thead><tbody><thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Love/Hate for Week 16

My heart's not in it.

As I sit down to write the Week 16 edition of Love/Hate, I find it is hard to muster enthusiasm for an open. Be it on Twitter, Facebook, by email or when I meet someone in person, the majority of feedback I get is about my opens. A quick Google search for "fantasy football help" returns over 195 million results. I feel my advice is good, but honestly, there are lots of people who give good advice, both here on ESPN and elsewhere. You can get good advice from lots of places. The open, however … the open is mine.

So I take it seriously. I work hard on it. I start thinking about it about 20 minutes after I hand in the previous week's column. I've written this column, "Love/Hate," for different websites for well over a decade. I've also done a weekly baseball column for longer than that, and I used to do a weekly pickups column for football, and even, once upon a time, fantasy basketball. All of them had opens. I've written hundreds upon hundreds of them since I started in this business in 1999.

And this week, my heart's not in it.

I thought about looking back at some preseason stuff. Which calls panned out and which didn't from the preseason Love/Hate, whether my Draft Day Manifesto strategy paid off, what we can learn from this year as we look toward next year. And maybe I'll still do that next week.

But as I thought about how I'd present all that, I realized my heart wasn't in it.

I thought about doing something funny and maybe a little sweet about the upcoming "end of the world" on Dec. 21, as the Mayans have supposedly predicted. Like, on the off chance we have only two days left on Earth, here's all the people I want to tell off before I no longer have a chance, and then something sweet about regrets I have, paths not traveled, that sort of thing.

But my heart's not in it.

Thought about doing something about last week's games and coming up with funny ways to show how many big-name stars disappointed. A team starting Ray Rice and Doug Martin at running back with Jamaal Charles in the flex, Demaryius Thomas and Victor Cruz at wideout, Jimmy Graham, the 49ers' defense and fantasy's highest-scoring kicker heading into Week 15, Lawrence Tynes, with your choice of Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford or Josh Freeman at quarterback … would have scored, at most, 21 fantasy points. And would have lost to a team that started Dennis Pitta and no one else. Just a lot of things like that.

Eh. Heart's not in it. Kept searching.

Thought about talking about my daughters, who just recently turned 1, and what the past year as a parent has been like. About how my world view has completely changed, about the hopes and fears I have for them and about what those two little beans mean to me. Thought about talking about my brother Jonathan, who turns 40 this weekend. Thought about a rant, thought about a mailbag, thought about a way-too-early 2013 ranking.

But my heart's not in it.

It's in Newtown, Conn.

So let's get down to the business of Love/Hate and, here in Week 16, the advice remains the same. Don't get cute. Don't overthink it. Check my rankings for my opinion on specific player-versus-player comparisons and then use it as a loose guideline.

[h=3]Quarterbacks I love in Week 16[/h]Robert Griffin III, Redskins: Welcome back. He's gonna play. For the Redskins and for your fantasy team. You might be worried about the legs or the injury. Which I get. But it's the finals. Don't get cute. As John Parolin of ESPN Stats & Information points out, we know how much Washington loves play-action; they lead the NFL with 115 completions and 1,980 passing yards on play-action passes. Well get this: The Eagles' defense has a league-worst plus-9 TD-INT differential on those passes, and is one of four defenses (Colts, Titans and Rams) not to record a single interception on those passes this year.

Peyton Manning, Broncos: Less than 15 points in two straight and only one touchdown pass in each of the past two, Peyton has only two touchdowns total in five career games versus the Browns. As a result, I'm starting to hear a few whispers of panic. I have none. He's at home where, this year, he has a 16-2 touchdown to interception ratio in six games. Cleveland allows over 19 fantasy points a game to opposing quarterbacks on the road this year. He got you this far, you're not bailing now. Papa Bear is firing up the grill for you, too.

Colin Kaepernick, 49ers: Yes, he is on the road. Yes, it's a very good defense. Yes, he is a very young player. But you know who else has a really good defense? New England. And Chicago, when he played them. At least 18 points in four of the five games he has started, never less than 14 and the Seahawks may be without both starting corners for this game. Going Next Level here to tell you that, of Kaepernick's four touchdown passes in Week 15, three came on throws of more than 20 yards downfield. He's the first QB with three TD passes on throws more than 20 yards downfield in a game this season. Plus, you know about the rushing; he's always a threat and I expect Seattle to focus on stopping Frank Gore, who gashed them for 182 total yards earlier this season. A top-10 play for me.

If you're desperate: The way Russell Wilson is playing, I don't care who he is facing. Solid option outside the top 10. … More mobile than you think, Jake Locker is coming off two straight 15-point games and has a real shot at some quality junk time against the Pack. … Sad that Joe Flacco has dropped into the "desperate section," but in general he plays better at home and things should be easier this week against the Giants' 28th-ranked pass defense. … With two good receivers at his disposal in Cecil Shorts and Justin Blackmon, and one bad defense that will let Tom Brady have his way with them, I could see Chad Henne having a big junk time day here. He wouldn't be the first.

[h=3]Quarterbacks I hate in Week 16[/h]
Eli Manning, Giants: No question, he could have a good game here. It's not a terrible matchup. But if you somehow survived last week with Eli as your quarterback, are you really trusting him again? Exactly. He has a total of two, count 'em, two touchdown passes in his past five road games. Two. In five.

Andrew Luck, Colts: I think he'll be OK here, but I have him outside my top 10, which puts him on the hate list for me in a 10-team league. We know about Luck's struggles on the road -- 17 turnovers in seven road games this year -- and for all the Chiefs do poorly, they are actually seventh against the pass and shut down Carson Palmer last week. Expect to see a lot of Vick Ballard in this game, and you also won't see Luck needing to lead a crazy comeback in a game that should be fairly low-scoring from the K.C. side. Again, think he'll be OK -- think 15 points or so -- but not a top-10 play for me. Like him more in leagues that don't count turnovers.

Josh Freeman, Buccaneers: Same story as with Eli. You wanna go back to this well? Fool me once, and all that. Like the Chiefs, the Rams are another pass defense that is better than you think (ninth versus the pass, 14 points or fewer to opposing quarterbacks in five straight); they held Kaepernick to his lowest total since becoming a starter. Freeman does play better at home and the Rams have played some terrible quarterbacks recently, if you want to play the other side, but in Week 16 I want safe, and Freeman has two weeks in the past four where he has had zero touchdowns. Completing only 53 percent of his passes in the second half, I think we see a lot of Doug Martin in this one, making Freeman a 12- to 15-point play here but nothing awesome. I think it's kind of a low-scoring game, too.

Sam Bradford, Rams: Getting lots of questions about Bradford after he put up big numbers last week and he now has a tasty matchup. But 14 points or fewer in the four games previous to last week, I don't see St. Louis falling behind big here like last week and as I said in the previous paragraph, I expect this to be a low-scoring game. Don't get cute. Ask yourself: What is most likely to happen? Bradford goes off or Bradford has a 12- to 14-point game? Exactly. Ask everyone who played Freeman last week "because he had a great matchup." Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

[h=3]Running backs I love in Week 16

Doug Martin, Buccaneers: In case you were worried about last week. The way you beat the Rams is on the ground and Tampa will do just that.

Matt Forte, Bears: Jay Cutler's 15.8 Total QBR against at least five pass-rushers is the second-worst among 37 qualified quarterbacks. Arizona sends extra pressure on 41.5 percent of drop backs, second-most in the league. If the Bears are going to beat the Cards, it's going to be by attacking their 28th-ranked run defense. And with Michael Bush done for the year, there's a chance Forte gets goal-line carries. (He got three last week, did nothing with them, but still, he got them). Top-10 play for me.

Stevan Ridley, Patriots: Not worried about last week, not worried about the fumble. They were in catch-up mode. Starting him with confidence.

Jamaal Charles, Chiefs: I know. Last week was tough. But he -- like Ridley and a lot of the "obvious" names -- is on this list because I want to express that I still have confidence in him against a Colts team that has allowed 357 total yards to opposing running backs in their past two road games.

Vick Ballard, Colts: Well, you know I like the Colts to win this game and I don't think Luck has a huge game, so … Ballard is averaging 19 touches a game in his past two, they trust him as a workhorse. Dude averaged almost 6 yards a carry against Houston. What do you think he's going to do against the Chiefs, who give up 4.6 yards per carry? He's getting 100 total yards, it's just a matter of if he gets in the end zone. I say he does.

If you're desperate: I feel so dirty, forever unclean, in fact, but the fact remains that DeAngelo Williams has 324 total yards and two scores in his past three games and has a great matchup with Oakland. … Even if Ahmad Bradshaw plays, I could see David Wilson having a "post-hype sleeper" big week. Just a gut call on him. … Mikel Leshoure is the Lions running back you want, but if you are in a deeper league, Joique Bell does have a 2.51 yards after contact per rush average and no team gives up more yards after contact than the Falcons. I don't expect Atlanta to have any trouble scoring here, so Bell could be in on a lot of passing downs as well.

[/h][h=3]Running backs I hate in Week 16

LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown, Eagles: Don't know how much work McCoy actually gets compared to Brown, it's a bad matchup (Redskins are sixth against the run) and, in Week 16, that's too much risk for me. If I have to pick one I am going with McCoy, but I want no part of this if I can help it.

Trent Richardson, Browns: I can't imagine you have better options than him, so chances are you're starting him, but check out these numbers: 95, 85, 72, 42, 28. Those are his rushing totals the past five weeks, and they are heading in the wrong direction. You haven't cared the past two weeks because he has been scoring, but I hate to count on that, especially against Denver. The Broncos have allowed only five rushing touchdowns all year, second-fewest in the league. I expect the Broncos to make Cleveland one-dimensional in this matchup, making it tough sledding for T-Rich.

Beanie Wells, Cardinals: Just for old times' sake.

Jonathan Dwyer, Steelers: Didn't look good to me last week and I hate the matchup with a red-hot Bengals defense that is top-10 against the run, having given up an average of 55 rushing yards a game to opposing running backs, and has had extra time to rest and prep.

[/h][h=3]Wide Receivers I love in Week 16[/h][h=3]
Steve Smith, Panthers: As Cam Newton has gotten hot, so has Steve Smith. Funny how that works, right? Double-digit fantasy points in three straight, he's a big-play guy. Only five teams have allowed more completions of 20-plus yards and only three teams have allowed more yards after the catch than the Raiders. Very surprised that only two of us had him inside the top 10 this week.

Pierre Garcon, Redskins: Think RG III plays. And when he plays, he only has eyes for Pierre Garcon. In the past four weeks, he is top 10 in the NFL in targets and leads the Skins in that category by a significant margin. Last week was the first time he hadn't scored in four weeks, either. Eagles are … well, it's not their year, you see.

Cecil Shorts, Jaguars: At least 100 yards and/or a score in the past five games he has played, he's averaging 90 yards a game over his past eight. And yes, they will be throwing against New England. Shorts is tied with A.J. Green (you've heard of him, right?) for the NFL lead in TD receptions of more than 50 yards. No team in the NFL has allowed more pass plays of more than 20 yards than the Patriots.

Randall Cobb, Packers: Now and forever. I have seen the future and its name is Randall Cobb.

Brandon Lloyd, Patriots: Only 13 weeks too late! If I had done my "don't look back in anger" thing as my open as I was thinking of, these last two guys definitely would have made the list. Cobb was a big preseason favorite of mine and has panned out in a big way. Lloyd was a big preseason favorite of mine who has, um, not. Terrible call, although he has redeemed himself somewhat recently. And yeah, I'm buying this. The targets are a bit out of whack because the Patriots were in catch-up mode last week, but we know they are going to throw it and we know the Jags have no chance of stopping it. Top-20 play for me.

If you're desperate: If he's healthy, I like Torrey Smith to bounce back with a big game against a very burnable Giants secondary that gives up the fifth-most fantasy points to opposing wideouts. … Speaking of big-play guys, T.Y. Hilton gets to face a Kansas City Chiefs defense than allows the highest yards after catch percentage of any team in the NFL. … Danny Amendola is not on the injury report this week. I repeat, Danny Amendola is not on the injury report this week. … Wanna win a bar bet? No wideout has more yards after contact this year than … Anquan Boldin. And as noted, I don't think a whole lot of the Giants' secondary these days.

[/h][h=3]Wide Receivers I hate in Week 16[/h][h=3]
Danario Alexander, Chargers: Well, that was fun while it lasted. In a week where a lot of big-name stars laid an egg, his was among the most surprising to me. The Chargers are a mess right now and this is a bad matchup with the Jets and Antonio Cromartie, who has played very well this year. The Jets allow the second-fewest fantasy points to opposing wide receivers and haven't given up a touchdown to a non-New England wide receiver at home since Week 1.

Greg Jennings, Packers: What can I say? I don't believe in himsmelf. <!--Sic--> Could he go off, a la James Jones last week? Of course. He has the talent and the quarterback. But he also could do what he has done the past three games, which is nothing. Only 11 points total over three games, it's Week 16. You can't wait any longer for him to become great again. I want safe rather than upside this week unless I'm a big underdog. Jennings has upside but he is far from safe.

Jeremy Maclin, Eagles: Despite the good matchup, Maclin failed to get a catch the last time he faced Washington and he has five points or fewer in three of the past four. He was actually on his way to a good game last week when he left with an injury, but that's another concern. As of this writing, he's officially listed as questionable. Good matchup or no, how comfortable do you feel with your fantasy title resting on Nick Foles getting your guy the ball?

[/h][h=3]Tight ends I love in Week 16[/h]Greg Olsen, Panthers: Scores in two of the past three and four in the past six, Olsen is the clear-cut No. 2 target after Steve Smith. At least 40 yards in seven straight, he's a great bet to get you something with solid upside for more. Raiders allow the fifth-most fantasy points to opposing tight ends and have given up four scores to them in the past six. They are not good. Yummy.

Dennis Pitta, Ravens: Four scores in four weeks, he has been getting a ton of targets and with the Giants' pass rush, Flacco will check down to him when he's not doing that to Ray Rice.

Brandon Myers, Raiders: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, uh … blame it on the Mayans. Look, he has been brutal the past two weeks. I get it. Not trustworthy. I am still going back to the well here, as Carolina is top-10 in fantasy points allowed to opposing tight ends, they've given up two scores to tight ends in the past three and there's actually a chance for some junk time here (where Palmer excels) because I don't see Oakland stopping the Panthers.

Tony Scheffler, Lions: Based on the idea that I don't think Brandon Pettigrew plays, I can't see the Lions stopping the Falcons. Which means Matthew Stafford is going to throw even more than his current NFL-leading rate. After Calvin Johnson, they really have no one else to throw to, so expect Scheffler to get a lot of looks against a defense that has allowed 92 yards a game and three scores to opposing tight ends in its past three road games.

If you're desperate: Kyle Rudolph has been hit or miss most of the year, but I say he's a hit against a Texans team that will be going all out to stop Adrian Peterson and allows the sixth-most fantasy points to tight ends. … Not hard to imagine the Browns being way down in this game and no team gives up more fantasy points to opposing tight ends than the Denver Broncos. I mean, you saw what Dennis Pitta did to them. Benjamin Watson could get some of that. … Brent Celek should be back for the Eagles and Washington gives up the second-most points to tight ends.

[h=3]Tight ends I hate in Week 16

Jermaine Gresham, Bengals: Under 45 yards in four of his past six games, you really need Gresham to score to be a top-10 play here. The Steelers' defense is banged up but getting healthier and Pittsburgh has given up only three scores to opposing tight ends since their Week 4 bye (although two have come in the past four games). This is the "hate" I feel least confident in, but I don't see him having a top-10 day this week, which is why he is in here.

Antonio Gates, Chargers: I have no confidence in the Chargers' offense. None whatsoever. Gates has been very inconsistent this year to say the least and he's too risky for me in Week 16. The Jets have allowed 11 points, that's 11 points total, to opposing tight ends since their Week 9 bye, and that includes a game against the Patriots.

Vernon Davis, 49ers: It has become a weekly tradition!

[/h][h=3]Defenses I love in Week 16[/h][h=3]
San Diego Chargers D/ST: Double-digit fantasy points in two of the past three games and in three of the past five, Greg McElroy may not turn it over as much as Mark Sanchez, but he's not going to go deep as much either. Very low-scoring game here with lots of potential, as the strength of this Chargers team is their run defense. The one thing the Jets could exploit is the secondary, but I don't expect them to throw more than 15 times or so in this game. My best "plug and play" bet this weekend.

New York Jets D/ST: It's not as if a team with Philip Rivers under center and that has just lost Ryan Mathews and Malcolm Floyd scares you. The Jets are averaging over 10 points a game in the past three.

If you're desperate:Jay Cutler is always good for a pick or two and the Arizona Cardinals do play solid defense at home. … Despite what we saw last week, I still believe in the St. Louis Rams' defense and, as you can tell by my rankings, I expect this to be a low-scoring game. … The Carolina Panthers' defense looked solid last week, they are at home and Carson Palmer has never been shy about throwing into triple coverage.

[/h][h=3]Defenses I hate in Week 16[/h][h=3]
Baltimore Ravens D/ST: A total of one point in the past two games, I get you might be thinking about them because of Eli's struggles and I could see them doing well here. But I could also see them getting lit up. They are just too banged up for me to trust.

Miami Dolphins D/ST: Averaging under four points a game at home this year, the one strength of this team (its run defense) will be neutralized by C.J. Spiller, who is due for a big game. (Gut call). Buffalo should be able to keep this one close and won't have to play reckless, so I don't see a ton of turnovers here.

Washington Redskins D/ST: Playing a defense against Nick Foles has usually been a recipe for success, but I don't think so in this case. Washington has trouble generating a pass rush and, despite what we saw last week, they haven't been a huge turnover generator but rather a "bend don't break" kind of defense. Would love to be wrong but don't see a huge game here.

That's all I have. Good luck in Week 16! And remember … "What's most likely to happen?"
[/h]

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Dez does it again; Foster disappoints
in.gif

Eric Karabell

Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson is viewed as the game's best receiver, and with the league's single-season receiving yards record now his, thanks to his Saturday night performance, he certainly has pleased his fantasy owners. However, Johnson will not enter Week 17 as fantasy's hottest wide receiver; that honor will belong to talented Dallas Cowboys wideout Dez Bryant. Once seen as an immature underachiever, Bryant dominated Sunday's matchup with the New Orleans Saints, scoring a Week 16-best 34 fantasy points, which continued his top-flight emergence.

<offer>Bryant registered 224 receiving yards and scored a pair of touchdowns, giving him 134 standard fantasy points over the past seven games, an average of 19.1 per, the most at the position. Yes, that's even more points than Johnson (128 points), and 30 more than No. 3 guy Andre Johnson of the Houston Texans has in that span since Week 10. While Calvin Johnson still holds the edge in standard season scoring, he'll enter Week 17 with a relatively disappointing five touchdowns. Bryant has scored touchdowns in seven consecutive games (10 in that span), features four multi-touchdown games this season, and willl enter the final week second only to Green Bay Packers scoring machine James Jones in receiving touchdowns.</offer>

Certainly any concerns fantasy owners had about Bryant's busted left index finger, which had him questionable for the final three games and will require offseason surgery, have been assuaged. Bryant scored on a pair of 58-yard plays in the second quarter Sunday, aiding those in formats that count longer plays. Incredibly, back in September, the Bryant stories were mainly negative, with off-field decision-making requiring the team assign him handlers off the field, and on the field he reached 100 receiving yards only once in his first 31 career games. He has reached that mark five times since October began, however, and there's every reason to believe another signature performance is pending in Week 17 as the NFC East title will be decided by the Cowboys-Washington Redskins game. The Redskins, by the way, entered Sunday as the second-easiest for opposing wide receivers to accrue fantasy points against.

Bryant will be ranked in the top 10 for sure for that critical contest, and probably deserves top-five status. The same can be said for his 2013 draft status. For now, Calvin Johnson must be regarded as the top wide receiver in part because of his years of excellence and consistency, but Bryant, still beaming with upside and thriving, enters the considerable class with Brandon Marshall, A.J. Green, Demaryius Thomas and Julio Jones, each worthy of second-round consideration. For now, I'd rank Bryant sixth for 2013, but the case can be made for higher.

Second down: Meanwhile, kudos to fellow Cowboys Tony Romo and Jason Witten. Romo, the oft-beleaguered quarterback, scored 32 fantasy points Sunday, and while those in the non-fantasy world continue to rip him for his lack of January success, Romo is consistently underrated from a fantasy aspect. Sunday was his second game with more than 400 passing yards just since Thanksgiving. Ironically for Romo's reputation, both came in losses, but fantasy owners aren't concerned with that. Romo has 13 touchdown passes over five games and likely will finish as a top-10 fantasy quarterback for the fifth time, though he's seldom regarded as such. Meanwhile, remember the draft-day discount on tight end Witten, who was questionable for the first few games because of a spleen injury and fell from a potential top-three slot to eighth, barely in the top 100 overall? Well, on Sunday, he broke the record for receptions in a season by a tight end (he's at 103), and stands just shy of topping 1,000 receiving yards for the fourth time. The Cowboys might miss the postseason yet again, but from a fantasy aspect, Bryant, Romo, Witten -- and to varying degrees wide receiver Miles Austin and running back DeMarco Murray -- have provided fantasy owners with plenty of love.

Third down: A few of the highest-scoring performers at running back Sunday were, like Bryant in the past, common targets of fantasy derision. For Reggie Bush, likely to end his Miami Dolphins career next week, 28 fantasy points were twice as many as he had registered in any game since Week 2. One might think Bush wasn't a popular play in fantasy, but only 12 running backs were active in more ESPN standard leagues. Bush should be ranked among the top 20 running backs in Week 17 at New England, but his 2013 status will depend on team and role. … Also in Week 16, Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles led the position with 226 rushing yards, second only to his 233-yard explosion in Week 3, and is consistently a top-10 choice. He might be a bit overlooked in 2013, but not if we knew he'd see regular touches, which is a common complaint. … And then there's Ryan Grant of the Packers, active in a mere 0.2 percent of leagues Sunday. His 23 standard fantasy points were the second-most of his career, and with Alex Green uncertain for Week 17, and the Packers playing for NFC seeding, Grant becomes a potential flex option.

Fourth down: Of course, not all was positive from the critical running back position. The heavyweight matchup between top choices Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings and Arian Foster of the Texans disappointed. Peterson provided only eight fantasy points, tying for a season low, but don't even consider doubting him in Week 17 against the Packers; Peterson skewered them for 210 rushing yards (28 fantasy points) in Week 13. Still, Peterson easily trumped Foster's zero. Fantasy's top 2012 draft pick in most leagues picked the absolute worst time to fail, in the fantasy title game for many, rushing 10 times for 15 yards, catching two passes for 14 yards, but erasing all the yards with a lost fumble before leaving early with an irregular heartbeat. Foster says he's fine and will play in Week 17 in a game the Texans do need for playoff seeding, and fantasy owners shouldn't doubt him, either. This was only his second fantasy game with fewer than 10 points all season.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Goal-Line Grid

By Fantasy Insider | ESPN.com

RECENT/SEASON TOTALS |<!-- end inline 1 -->
Player <center> Week 14 </center><center> Week 15 </center><center> Week 16 </center><center> SEASON TOTAL </center>
Arizona Cardinals<center> Opp </center><center> In5 </center><center> TD </center><center> Opp </center><center> In5 </center><center> TD </center><center> Opp </center><center> In5 </center><center> TD </center><center> Opp </center><center> In5 </center><center> TD </center>
ari.gif
LaRod Stephens-Howling 3 0 0 6 0 0 13 0 0 136 7 4
Beanie Wells 6 0 0 17 3 2 4 0 0 89 6 3
William Powell 8 0 0 5 0 0 7 0 0 68 0 0
Ryan Williams -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 68 4 0
Kevin Kolb -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 16 1 1
Notes: Williams (shoulder) placed on IR following Week 5; Kolb (ribs, shoulder) was inactive Weeks 13-15
Atlanta Falcons<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
atl.gif
Michael Turner 7 2 1 18 4 1 17 0 0 245 22 7
Jacquizz Rodgers 11 0 0 12 0 0 7 1 0 142 3 1
Jason Snelling 2 0 0 9 0 0 2 0 0 51 2 1
Matt Ryan 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 32 1 1
Luke McCown -- -- -- 2 1 0 -- -- -- 2 1 0
Notes: McCown did not play Weeks 14, 16
Baltimore Ravens<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
bal.gif
Ray Rice 23 0 0 19 0 0 31 4 0 338 11 3
Bernard Pierce 10 0 0 5 0 0 15 1 0 93 1 0
Vonta Leach 4 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 33 1 1
Joe Flacco 5 0 0 2 0 0 3 2 1 32 4 3
Buffalo Bills<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
buf.gif
C.J. Spiller 8 0 0 22 0 0 28 0 0 238 2 1
Fred Jackson 14 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 155 7 3
Tashard Choice 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 51 2 0
Ryan Fitzpatrick 3 0 0 3 0 0 4 0 0 48 4 1
Johnny White -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 8 0 0
Notes: Jackson (knee) placed on IR following Week 14; White was released following Week 5
Carolina Panthers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
car.gif
DeAngelo Williams 20 0 0 24 2 0 13 0 0 169 6 1
Cam Newton 9 0 0 4 2 0 12 1 1 120 14 7
Jonathan Stewart -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 117 4 1
Mike Tolbert 8 0 0 11 2 2 6 0 0 77 4 4
Notes: Stewart (ankle) was inactive Weeks 14-16
Chicago Bears<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
chi.gif
Matt Forte 20 0 0 27 3 0 13 1 1 283 7 1
Michael Bush 1 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 125 7 5
Jay Cutler 2 0 0 1 0 0 3 0 0 37 0 0
Armando Allen 1 0 0 3 0 0 6 0 0 29 1 0
Kahlil Bell -- -- -- -- -- -- 13 0 0 26 0 0
Notes: Bush did not play Week 15, placed on IR following Week 15; Bell was released before Week 7, re-signed before Week 16
Cincinnati Bengals<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
cin.gif
BenJarvus Green-Ellis 15 0 0 25 3 1 16 0 0 305 14 5
Andy Dalton 1 0 0 8 0 0 0 0 0 45 3 2
Cedric Peerman -- -- -- -- -- -- 0 0 0 40 2 1
Brian Leonard 6 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 36 0 0
Bernard Scott -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 8 1 0
Chris Pressley 1 0 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- 3 1 1
Notes: Peerman (ankle) was inactive Weeks 14-15; Scott (knee) placed on IR following Week 5; Pressley (knee) placed on IR following Week 15
Cleveland Browns<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
cle.gif
Trent Richardson 20 4 2 14 2 1 13 0 0 335 12 5
Montario Hardesty 11 1 0 2 0 0 4 0 0 54 3 1
Chris Ogbonnaya 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 33 0 0
Brandon Weeden 1 0 0 1 0 0 3 0 0 28 0 0
Dallas Cowboys<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
dal.gif
DeMarco Murray 26 2 1 18 1 1 17 0 0 182 5 3
Felix Jones 3 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 143 3 2
Lance Dunbar 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 32 0 0
Tony Romo 0 0 0 4 1 0 0 0 0 31 2 1
Phillip Tanner 0 0 0 -- -- -- 0 0 0 30 2 0
Notes: Tanner (healthy scratch) was inactive Week 15
Denver Broncos<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
den.gif
Willis McGahee -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 201 13 4
Knowshon Moreno 37 3 1 24 0 0 28 0 0 148 3 1
Ronnie Hillman 5 0 0 14 0 0 7 0 0 93 1 1
Lance Ball 0 0 0 -- -- -- 0 0 0 39 2 0
Jacob Hester -- -- -- 7 1 1 3 1 1 10 2 2
Notes: McGahee (knee) placed on "designated for return" IR following Week 11; Ball (healthy scratch) was inactive Week 15; Hester was signed before Week 13, inactive Week 14 (healthy scratch)
Detroit Lions<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
det.gif
Mikel Leshoure 15 1 0 16 1 1 18 1 1 242 7 6
Joique Bell 18 0 0 11 0 0 16 0 0 142 3 1
Kevin Smith 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 51 4 2
Matthew Stafford 3 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 33 6 4
Stefan Logan 2 0 0 3 0 0 2 1 0 10 1 0
Green Bay Packers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
gnb.gif
Alex Green 15 0 0 16 0 0 -- -- -- 163 2 0
Cedric Benson -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 87 1 1
James Starks -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 77 0 0
Aaron Rodgers 3 0 0 5 0 0 4 0 0 55 4 0
John Kuhn 2 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 42 1 1
Ryan Grant 1 0 0 8 0 0 22 0 0 31 0 0
DuJuan Harris 7 0 0 5 0 0 8 0 0 20 0 0
Graham Harrell -- -- -- -- -- -- 3 0 0 4 1 0
Notes: Green (concussion) was inactive Week 16; Benson (foot) placed on "designated for return" IR following Week 5; Starks (knee) was inactive Weeks 14-16; Grant was signed before Week 14; Harrell did not play Weeks 14-15
Houston Texans<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
hou.gif
Arian Foster 21 1 1 29 1 0 12 0 0 387 32 13
Ben Tate 9 1 0 5 0 0 5 1 0 74 4 1
Justin Forsett 4 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 68 0 0
James Casey 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 40 2 2
Matt Schaub 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 20 0 0
T.J. Yates 1 1 1 -- -- -- 1 0 0 2 1 1
Notes: Yates did not play Week 15
Indianapolis Colts<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
ind.gif
Vick Ballard 20 0 0 18 1 0 20 0 0 208 2 0
Donald Brown -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 122 1 0
Andrew Luck 5 0 0 2 0 0 6 0 0 57 6 5
Delone Carter 4 2 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- 35 4 3
Mewelde Moore -- -- -- 4 1 0 1 0 0 20 3 1
Notes: Brown (ankle) was inactive Week 14, placed on IR following Week 14; Carter (ankle) was inactive Weeks 15-16; Moore released following Week 8, re-signed before Week 15
Jacksonville Jaguars<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
jac.gif
Rashad Jennings -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 127 5 2
Maurice Jones-Drew -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 103 1 1
Montell Owens 15 0 0 13 0 0 14 0 0 53 1 0
Jalen Parmele -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 50 3 0
Richard Murphy 4 0 0 6 0 0 11 0 0 21 0 0
Greg B. Jones 4 0 0 1 0 0 2 1 0 19 1 0
Blaine Gabbert -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 18 1 0
Chad Henne 1 0 0 3 0 0 2 0 0 18 1 1
Notes: Jennings (concussion) was inactive Weeks 14-16, placed on IR following Week 16; Jones-Drew (foot) was inactive Weeks 14-16; Parmele (groin) placed on IR following Week 12; Gabbert (forearm, shoulder) placed on IR following Week 11
Kansas City Chiefs<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
kan.gif
Jamaal Charles 20 0 0 13 0 0 25 0 0 318 2 0
Peyton Hillis 6 1 0 2 0 0 16 0 0 93 4 1
Shaun Draughn 3 0 0 3 0 0 1 0 0 81 1 1
Dexter McCluster 2 0 0 8 0 0 5 0 0 80 0 0
Matt Cassel -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 27 2 1
Brady Quinn 1 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 18 0 0
Nate Eachus -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 8 0 0
Cyrus Gray 0 0 0 -- -- -- 0 0 0 8 0 0
Notes: Cassel did not play Weeks 14-16; Eachus (healthy scratch) was inactive Weeks 14-16; Gray (shoulder) was inactive Week 15
Miami Dolphins<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
mia.gif
Reggie Bush 21 0 0 23 0 0 23 2 1 267 4 1
Daniel Thomas 2 1 0 1 0 0 -- -- -- 113 9 4
Lamar Miller 4 0 0 7 0 0 11 0 0 51 0 0
Ryan Tannehill 3 0 0 8 0 0 6 0 0 47 3 2
Charles Clay 1 0 0 2 0 0 -- -- -- 29 0 0
Jorvorskie Lane 0 0 0 2 1 1 0 0 0 23 3 3
Notes: Thomas (knee) placed on IR following Week 15; Clay (knee) placed on IR following Week 15
Minnesota Vikings<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
min.gif
Adrian Peterson 33 4 2 24 2 0 26 1 0 359 17 6
Toby Gerhart 4 0 0 8 0 0 9 1 1 74 2 1
Christian Ponder 4 0 0 4 1 1 7 0 0 59 2 1
Matt Asiata 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 5 1 0
New England Patriots<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
nwe.gif
Stevan Ridley 18 1 0 10 1 0 19 0 0 283 18 6
Danny Woodhead 4 0 0 21 3 1 8 0 0 122 5 2
Shane Vereen 9 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 67 4 3
Brandon Bolden 2 0 0 0 0 0 5 2 0 52 7 1
Tom Brady 1 0 0 3 1 1 0 0 0 23 5 4
New Orleans Saints<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
nor.gif
Mark Ingram 13 0 0 15 0 0 22 1 0 156 5 2
Pierre Thomas 13 0 0 7 0 0 15 1 1 152 3 2
Darren Sproles 12 0 0 11 1 1 18 1 0 131 5 2
Chris Ivory -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 39 0 0
Drew Brees 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 15 1 1
Jed Collins 2 0 0 1 0 0 -- -- -- 14 1 1
Travaris Cadet 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 9 1 0
Notes: Ivory (hamstring) was inactive Weeks 14-16; Collins (toe) was inactive Week 16
New York Giants<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
nyg.gif
Ahmad Bradshaw 11 0 0 -- -- -- 10 0 0 233 11 3
Andre Brown -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 89 12 8
David Wilson 14 1 0 15 0 0 3 0 0 65 2 0
Eli Manning 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 20 1 0
Henry Hynoski 4 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 19 2 0
Kregg Lumpkin 0 0 0 9 0 0 0 0 0 10 0 0
Da'Rel Scott -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 6 0 0
Notes: Bradshaw (knee) was inactive Week 15; Brown (fibula) placed on "designated for return" IR following Week 12; Scott (knee) placed on IR following Week 6
New York Jets<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
nyj.gif
Shonn Greene 20 2 1 16 0 0 17 4 2 285 19 7
Bilal Powell 19 1 1 8 0 0 7 0 0 125 6 3
Tim Tebow -- -- -- 3 0 0 -- -- -- 33 3 0
Joe McKnight 0 0 0 4 0 0 1 0 0 31 1 0
Mark Sanchez 3 0 0 4 0 0 -- -- -- 20 1 0
Greg McElroy -- -- -- -- -- -- 4 0 0 8 2 0
Notes: Tebow did not play Weeks 14, 16; Sanchez did not play Week 16; McElroy (healthy scratch) was inactive Weeks 14-15
Oakland Raiders<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
oak.gif
Darren McFadden 15 0 0 34 1 0 20 0 0 255 7 1
Marcel Reece 5 0 0 2 0 0 5 0 0 129 1 0
Mike Goodson 0 0 0 14 0 0 6 0 0 52 0 0
Jeremy Stewart -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 33 0 0
Carson Palmer 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 18 2 1
Notes: Stewart (healthy scratch) was inactive Weeks 14-16
Philadelphia Eagles<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
phi.gif
LeSean McCoy -- -- -- -- -- -- 22 0 0 250 11 3
Bryce Brown 14 0 0 18 2 0 4 0 0 126 8 2
Michael Vick -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 57 4 1
Stanley Havili 0 0 0 1 0 0 -- -- -- 18 1 1
Dion Lewis 4 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 14 0 0
Notes: McCoy (concussion) was inactive Weeks 14-15; Vick (concussion) was inactive Weeks 14-16; Havili (hamstring) was inactive Week 16
Pittsburgh Steelers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
pit.gif
Jonathan Dwyer 12 0 0 10 1 1 14 0 0 168 5 1
Isaac Redman 3 0 0 4 0 0 5 0 0 126 4 2
Rashard Mendenhall -- -- -- -- -- -- 11 0 0 53 0 0
Chris Rainey 2 0 0 5 0 0 2 0 0 49 1 1
Baron Batch -- -- -- 0 0 0 0 0 0 31 2 1
Ben Roethlisberger 5 0 0 2 0 0 2 0 0 24 0 0
Will Johnson 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 23 1 1
Notes: Mendenhall (healthy scratch) was inactive Week 14, was suspended Week 15; Batch was released following Week 11, promoted from practice squad before Week 15
San Diego Chargers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
sdg.gif
Ryan Mathews 25 0 0 8 0 0 -- -- -- 236 0 0
Ronnie Brown 6 0 0 -- -- -- 7 0 0 99 1 0
Jackie Battle 2 0 0 5 0 0 20 0 0 87 10 4
Curtis Brinkley -- -- -- 9 0 0 1 0 0 50 0 0
Philip Rivers 4 0 0 3 0 0 5 0 0 25 0 0
Le'Ron McClain 4 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 24 0 0
Notes: Mathews (collarbone) placed on IR following Week 15; Brown (hamstring) was inactive Week 15; Brinkley (healthy scratch) was inactive Week 14
Seattle Seahawks<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
sea.gif
Marshawn Lynch 11 1 1 11 0 0 28 2 0 323 11 5
Robert Turbin 21 0 0 11 1 0 6 0 0 101 1 0
Russell Wilson 3 0 0 9 0 0 6 0 0 84 0 0
Leon Washington 7 1 1 3 0 0 0 0 0 30 1 1
Michael Robinson 1 0 0 3 0 0 1 0 0 24 1 1
San Francisco 49ers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
sfo.gif
Frank Gore 14 1 1 23 1 0 7 0 0 269 10 5
Kendall Hunter -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 85 3 1
Colin Kaepernick 6 0 0 7 1 0 7 1 0 60 4 0
Alex Smith -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 29 0 0
LaMichael James 9 0 0 10 0 0 6 1 0 25 1 0
Anthony Dixon 2 1 1 2 0 0 2 1 0 18 3 2
Notes: Hunter (Achilles') placed on IR following Week 12; Smith did not play Weeks 14-16
St. Louis Rams<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
stl.gif
Steven Jackson 21 1 1 23 0 0 21 1 1 290 8 2
Daryl Richardson 3 0 0 7 0 0 5 1 0 125 3 0
Sam Bradford 4 0 0 2 0 0 2 0 0 36 1 1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
tam.gif
Doug Martin 33 2 1 14 0 0 25 0 0 355 17 5
LeGarrette Blount 1 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 43 4 1
Josh Freeman 2 0 0 2 0 0 4 1 0 38 1 0
Erik Lorig 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 16 2 1
Tennessee Titans<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
ten.gif
Chris Johnson 22 1 0 21 0 0 14 0 0 300 4 0
Jake Locker 4 0 0 7 0 0 4 0 0 36 0 0
Darius Reynaud 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 21 0 0
Jamie Harper 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 0 20 3 3
Washington Redskins<center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center><center>Opp</center><center>In5</center><center>TD</center>
was.gif
Alfred Morris 23 2 1 29 2 1 23 0 0 315 11 6
Robert Griffin III 7 0 0 -- -- -- 2 0 0 115 6 3
Evan Royster 4 0 0 6 1 1 2 0 0 44 3 2
Darrel Young 1 0 0 4 1 0 0 0 0 26 1 0
Roy Helu -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 9 0 0
Kirk Cousins 0 0 0 3 1 0 -- -- -- 3 1 0
Notes: Griffin (knee) was inactive Week 15; Helu (toe, Achilles') placed on IR following Week 3; Cousins did not play Week 16

<thead>
</thead><tbody><thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- -->
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
<thead>
</thead><tbody>
<!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><!-- --><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Vick, David Wilson are intriguing, no?
in.gif

Eric KarabellThe last time Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick completed an NFL game, the United States of America was still a day away from choosing its next president. Yeah, it's been awhile. But on Sunday in New Jersey, Vick is slated to start against the New York Giants, likely for the last time in Eagles colors, and because of the name value and occasional statistical goodness he brings, fantasy owners with something on the line will have to consider if he's worth using.

There's a reason so many fantasy football leagues are decided before Week 17, not just because of a situation like this but more because some of the players trusted to deliver fantasy championships aren't likely to complete their games. It's a guessing game, to some degree, though I've always felt the Week 17 theme of radical upheaval is a tad overrated. Sure, we ponder how many snaps will be played by the likes of Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck and top-10 Atlanta Falcons wide receivers Roddy White and Julio Jones, but in general, there aren't so many critical fantasy studs up for debate. I'm fine finishing championships in Week 16, but the disadvantage is simply overstated for those counting on this week.

With Vick, for example, he's a gift -- or perhaps a "re-gift" -- to those concerned about Luck, Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning or any other usable fantasy passer that might see fewer snaps than normal. Vick remains owned in 74.2 percent of ESPN standard leagues, and surely some of those people will need to determine his viability versus the quarterback(s) used to get their teams this far. Vick is presumed healthy and motivated after missing the past six games, first because of a concussion then the franchise directive that rookie Nick Foles need not look over his shoulder. Foles didn't impress, and the Eagles have months to decide if he's their guy in 2013. Vick could be starting in any number of spots by next September, including Philly in theory, and he gets one last chance to show off his considerable skills. One would think he realizes how important his final statistical impression could be to his wallet. For the first two months, and for much of an abbreviated 2011 campaign -- they're all abbreviated with Vick -- he was a borderline top-10 fantasy quarterback. Even now, with half a season of action, he's fifth among quarterbacks in rushing yards. And the Giants aren't exactly the 1986 Chicago Bears defensively, as they made a struggling Joe Flacco look like Joe Montana in his prime Sunday afternoon.

I left Vick out of my top 10 quarterbacks for Week 17, but not by much. I simply liked 10 others better, but only 10. Considering I wasn't ranking Vick as high as No. 11 consistently the first half of the season (when he was healthy), this shows that I actually trust a relevant statistical performance is pending -- one that should surely anger beleaguered Eagles fans. (Oh, what if, right?) Coach Andy Reid is also on his way out of town; do you think he wants Trent Edwards seeing meaningful snaps? Vick was his guy, and while Vick brings risk due to the style he plays and the Eagles offensive line qualifying as putrid, this is one last shot for many Eagles to play together before the band is broken up. Vick, along with running back LeSean McCoy and wide receiver Jeremy Maclin, fared well in my rankings this week and should be considered decent bets to send fantasy owners out on a positive note.

Quarterback: Among the quarterbacks I ranked better than Vick include Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. They combined for 36 fantasy points head-to-head in Week 16, but the opponents are markedly easier for this week. … A month ago, I would have ranked Eli Manning and Josh Freeman better, but over the past two games, Manning is averaging 155 passing yards and has one passing touchdown, while Freeman has eight interceptions. I'll play hotter quarterbacks instead. … By the way, don't opt for Tony Romo because his game is the last one of the regular season and it adds to the fantasy intrigue, but do so because this should be a 35-31 type of game, with many fantasy heroes. … If Robert Griffin III was able to run at full speed, he might have been my No. 1 or 2 guy. Instead, even though he's clearly not 100 percent, he's still a solid No. 6. … Need a deep-league home run threat? I actually like Philip Rivers and Chad Henne a bit more than usual against awful defenses this week.

Running back: Trust your best options and hope for the best. If that means Adrian Peterson has 25 yards at halftime and he's lifted for backup Toby Gerhart, it's the chance fantasy owners must take. … This seems like precisely the week someone like Chris Johnson, whose owners might never want to draft him again, goes off. I ranked him 10th. Same with Darren McFadden, my No. 20 option. … Only one of us ranked Cleveland Browns rookie Trent Richardson, so watch for updates on him. Montario Hardesty would be a decent flex option if Richardson sits. … David Wilson of the Giants is the proverbial home run threat. He didn't get many touches in Week 16, but he scored, and if you're down big in a two-week fantasy matchup, he becomes more interesting. … Beanie Wells is saying all the wrong things about his future in Arizona. His Cardinals play in San Francisco. Yep, I'd rather use a lot of others, including rejuvenated Ryan Grant.

Wide receiver: This is a wide open position this week, as the rankers disagreed on the Falcons' choices, Randall Cobb and Justin Blackmon and the health of Mike Wallace and Jordy Nelson. My feeling on White/Jones and Reggie Wayne is they can do enough first-half damage before hitting the bench. None made my top 15. … The Falcons and Denver Broncos each have a pair of top-10 scoring wide receivers this season. Yep, we all like Eric Decker this week. … I like Brandon Lloyd more than the average this week. Can't you just see Tom Brady throwing for 400 yards no matter what the other AFC contenders are doing? … Tampa Bay's Freeman might give the ball away a bunch, but I see Mike Williams ending strong.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Love/Hate for Week 17

Week 17 of the fantasy season is always a bit of a mishmash. Some teams are going all out, some aren't even pretending to play everyone and still more are playing coy, with unknown amounts of playing time for the stars of teams who have clinched postseason berths and can't change their seeding.

And so, in honor of that, the last Love/Hate of the football season (and of 2012) is a bit of a mishmash itself.
We start with the most annoying email of the week:
(Name withheld): Matthew, I've joined the nation! I am a lifelong Steelers fan that is fed up with the garbage that team has put on the field the last two years. I am now officially a Redskins fan. I lived in the DC area for a while, I love RG3 (I did when he was at Baylor too), I'm all in! Can I get a shout out on the podcast as the newest member of the Nation! Hail to the Redskins! Hail victory!
I printed this email because it is rare that 81 words can be so wrong on so many levels. First, no, you are not a lifelong Steelers fan. Anyone who is a lifelong Steelers fan doesn't bail. Steelers fans are among the most passionate, loyal and hardcore fan bases out there. And a lifelong Steelers fan loves his team and couldn't possibly be swayed to join another team. On behalf of actual lifelong Steelers fans, I'm offended.

Second, I'm not sure you understand football. "Garbage that team has put out the last two years." Heading into Week 17 this year, Pittsburgh is 19-12 the last two years, including a playoff spot last year. They've had tough injury luck the last two years but most fan bases would love a 19-12 record over two years. It's only because the franchise has been so excellent that anyone could consider the past two years any sort of disappointment. It's insane.
I'm a lifelong Redskins fan. I've certainly had many more years when it would have made sense to bail. But I never did. Because I can't. It's in my blood. My DNA. I can't not root for them, even if I tried. Ingrained in me since I was 5 years old living in Virginia. I will die a Redskins fan. It is what it is. That's what being a lifelong fan means.
You seem a nice enough person and as you know, RG III is my favorite player in the NFL, so I'll take all the positive vibes I can get this Sunday for the Washington-Dallas game. But man, go back to the Steelers, if they'll have you.
Brian O'Donnell (Green Bay, Wis.):
TMR: Thanks for the kind words on the column, Brian. And a great point. And a very fair one. Here's the truth of the matter: I actually agree you. Here's the issue. I came up with the name well over a decade ago when I was just starting out, a much younger guy who didn't even consider the implications of the words. Just sounded good. And now … I'm sort of committed to the brand. It doesn't help your issue but I did want to address your email to say it's something I have thought of but don't have a solution for. And that your point is well taken.
I was moved by your open and commend you for your honesty in your Week 16 Love/Hate column. I do not confess to being an avid reader of your column, but for some reason I opened it up. The reason I don't usually read the article is because of the word hate in your column's headline. Hate is a very strong word and requires a lot of energy and emotion. We as a society use this word willy-nilly without fully understanding what it truly means. I am no Bible thumper, but do believe in God, but have you ever thought of changing the word hate for strongly dislike? The way the world is today … we could use a little less hate. Happy Festivus.

[h=3]Don't look back in anger …[/h]Before we can move forward, we look to the past.
Jim Batterson (Burlington, Iowa): Matthew, just won my league championship. I read your pre-draft manifesto and decided for the first time in years when drafting high to go with a QB (Brady), Peterson fell to me in the second and away I went. Thanks! Then the championship game, you said always go with the guys that got you there and most of all listen to your gut. Well with all the experts telling me not to start D. Alexander in Week 16 because of his matchup. I went with my gut and started him, winning the championship because of that decision. Thanks Matthew, look forward to your column every week!
Well done, Jim. Love that email for a few reasons. Mostly because yes, you, not me, not anyone else, won your title. That's exactly what you should always do, from drafting to setting your lineup to trades and pickups. It's your team, you have to live with it, it's no fun if someone does everything (good or bad) for you.
But also because I was happy with how the Manifesto worked out. Now, technically, it wasn't "get a QB and a TE early at all costs." I had Arian Foster and Ray Rice as top-five picks, I had five running backs in my top 10, along with Calvin Johnson. So if you (and the others in your league) followed my rankings exactly, there was a 6-in-10 chance you left the first round without a QB.

And allow me just to say, as I did in the Manifesto, that there are a zillion different ways to win (or lose) and that hindsight is 20/20. You can cherry-pick any set of circumstances to prove your point. "If you drafted Stephen Gostkowski in the first, the Bears D/ST in the second and waited to get RG III, Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, Reggie Wayne ,Randall Cobb and Tony Gonzalez in the middle rounds, you totally crushed! You have to go kicker/defense in the first two rounds!!"
So if you learn anything from this year, learn this: There is no one right way to win, and anyone trying to tell you otherwise is selling you something (or trying really hard to.)
The downside to taking a QB in Round 1 was that the difference between Rodgers, Brady and Brees compared to some other quarterbacks was not nearly as significant this year as it was last year. But it still played out the way it was supposed to: The idea was that if you had a rock-solid QB early, you didn't have to worry about that position and could load up on mid-round running backs and wide receivers. We knew some of them would pop, we just didn't know which ones. But by giving yourself the most "lottery tickets" at those positions, you increased your odds of hitting pay dirt. Like Josh Christy did.
Joshua Christy (Tacoma, Wash.): Your start-of-the-year advice worked out great for me. I took Aaron Rodgers in the first round and Rob Gronkowski in the second. Both of those worked out pretty well, but what was really great is that when other people were picking backup quarterbacks I was taking gems such as Doug Martin, Demaryius Thomas, and Dez Bryant. I am now playing in the championship against my brother-in-law.
If you got Robert Griffin III (or, depending when you drafted, possibly Peyton Manning), you were fine blowing off QBs early. But those who waited and were stuck with the likes of Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Michael Vick, Matt Schaub, Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco were (no pun intended) scrambling.
Matt Ryan and Josh Freeman were hot early, Tony Romo, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson were hot late, but ultimately, the matchup game proved a tough one to nail consistently.
And while Arian Foster and Ray Rice were studly, the rest of the running backs taken in the first round in average ESPN drafts (LeSean McCoy, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew) proved to be much larger disappointments than if you had gone quarterback early.

The advice on tight end was you wanted Gronk or Jimmy Graham, or to be the last guy in your league to grab a tight end. I did think Antonio Gates and Aaron Hernandez would have nice years (yeesh), but ultimately Gronk and Graham were once again better than all but one of their counterparts, just not by as wide a margin. Still, going tight end in the second round didn't hurt; The tight ends that were most commonly owned on all ESPN playoff teams were Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham and, not surprisingly, the ageless wonder Tony Gonzalez, who proved to be the best bargain of them all and enters Week 17 as the top-scoring tight end in ESPN standard scoring.
I asked my friends on Facebook for what they thought were my best and worst calls of the year. Here's what they came up with.

My best preseason calls: I was very high in the preseason on Robert Griffin III, Doug Martin, Randall Cobb, Percy Harvin (crushed before injury) and Reggie Wayne. I said that Jamaal Charles would bounce back in a big way, I was the only ESPN guy to rank Brandon Marshall as a top-five wide receiver, Carson Palmer late, had Danny Amendola as a deep sleeper, kept taking about avoiding Ryan Mathews and not to touch him (lots of negative about him in 100 Facts) and had Maurice Jones-Drew, Larry Fitzgerald, Vernon Davis and Eli Manning on my preseason "hate" list.In season, sticking with Jamaal Charles as a must-start the week after he had six carries for 3 yards (he ended up with 288 total yards and a TD versus the Saints that week), picking up of Marcel Reece, Bryce Brown and saying that Colin Kaepernick would not only do well, but keep the 49ers' starting job before his first start against the Bears on "Monday Night Football." Also, a small one, but one I got a lot of pleasure from: I recommended LaRod Stephens-Howling as a start on "NFL Live" just before Week 11 and was mocked mercilessly. LSH had 133 total yards and a score versus the Falcons that week.
My worst calls: Loving Brandon Lloyd was a terrible call, no doubt. As was Antonio Brown. I was pushing both hard. I had Peyton Manning on the preseason "Hate" list (though after I saw him play in preseason I came off that, ultimately ranking him 38th overall, but still …), I thought Philip Rivers and Michael Vick would have bounce-back years (ugh), I thought Frank Gore and Michael Turner were done, and I had Peyton Hillis as a mid-round sleeper. I thought New England would rotate its running backs too much for Ridley to have consistent value, I pushed Pierre Garcon hard; he was good when healthy, but clearly he didn't return draft-day value.
In season, lots of start-or-sit calls didn't work out, but continuing to believe in Brandon Myers was dead wrong, and I was among the many who recommended Ronnie Hillman and not Knowshon Moreno when Willis McGahee went down.
What's odd is that I got hundreds of responses to my question and I had a number of people say Peterson was one of my best calls. And others saying he was among my worst. I actually think he's neither. Or both.
I certainly said multiple times during the preseason that you should draft him and then just reach a round or two to make sure you got Toby Gerhart, and I had lots of good "Gerhart when filling in for All Day" stats I quoted. I was higher on him than many of my colleagues who were more negative about his prospects.
I actually heard one prominent analyst from another major media company say on the radio that he was "undraftable." Seriously. Said he was un-draftable. Like a week before the season. So no, I did a lot better than that. But that said, it's not like I ranked him super-high and I did say "bench him" in Week 1 when he went off for two scores, so that's certainly not a great call. I think I split the difference on Peterson.
All in all, I was very pleased with this NFL season. Thought I had a pretty good year predictions-wise. My Redskins have a real shot at winning the NFC East. And I won the ESPN "War Room" league I've written about and discussed ad nauseum. For many, many reasons, including how intense and competitive that league is and how high-profile it is, that win was among the most satisfying to me of any league I've ever been in.

[h=3]There's always next year[/h]So after all that, we're back to going early on QBs in 2013, right? Actually, no. Looking at the scoring leaders now, there are two things that stand out.
1. Quarterback is really deep and the difference between the elite and the very good is smaller than before.
2. There's a lot less question at running back. That was one of the other big reasons I ranked five QBs in my top 15: Who else were you going to draft? With injuries, time shares and uncertain offensive philosophies in some cases, there were a lot of question marks for early-round running backs. The quarterbacks were safe; you couldn't say the same about Chris Johnson (off a terrible year), Maurice Jones-Drew (holdout issues) or Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles (off major injury).
But with those questions cleared up and the emergence of guys like Griffin and Ryan, the return of Peyton, the promise of Luck … it's as deep under center as it's ever been in fantasy.
With that said, here are my way-too-early top-30 ranks for 2013 ESPN standard leagues. I reserve the right to change this a million times between now and Opening Kickoff 2013, and I'll expand on this list next week.

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Arian Foster
3. Ray Rice
4. Doug Martin
5. Marshawn Lynch
6. Calvin Johnson
7. A.J. Green
8. C.J. Spiller
9. Brandon Marshall
10. Aaron Rodgers
11. Tom Brady
12. Drew Brees
13. LeSean McCoy
14. Roddy White
15. Trent Richardson
16. Jamaal Charles
17. Percy Harvin
18. Demaryius Thomas
19. Dez Bryant
20. Rob Gronkowski
21. Chris Johnson
22. Maurice Jones-Drew
23. Alfred Morris
24. Steven Ridley
25. Randall Cobb
26. Julio Jones
27. Robert Griffin III
28. Cam Newton
29. Jimmy Graham
30. Matt Forte

Let's get to it. If you don't get the premise of Love/Hate by now, I'm done trying. Just remember: It's Week 17. When you have the option, don't get cute. Play your studs. If you are down big in a two-week playoff in an ESPN league, I get wanting to swing for the fences, but in general, go safe and always ask yourself this question: What's most likely to happen? It won't always happen, but give yourself the best odds. Thanks, as always, to John Parolin and Evan Kaplan of ESPN Stats & Information for their contributions.

[h=3]Quarterbacks I love in Week 17[/h]Robert Griffin III, Redskins: Ah, what the hey. Once more for the road. I have a bunch of impressive stats about how accurate he is on throws of more than 20 yards (50 percent, highest rate among qualified QBs) and how well he fares against added pressure (highest QBR in the NFL) but I'm just gonna say that he torched the Cowboys for four touchdowns on Thanksgiving, that those same Cowboys won't have any issue scoring on Washington and that the Dallas secondary has struggled recently, allowing 785 passing yards and five passing touchdowns in just the last two games.
Russell Wilson, Seahawks: I know he struggled last time he faced the Rams and I do like the St. Louis defense, but Wilson has played himself into must-start matchup-proof territory. Because you know he's been hot, but do you know how hot? Over the past seven games, Wilson has an 87.9 Total QBR, easily the best in the league. To give you a frame of reference, Aaron Rodgers' Total QBR last season, when he was crushing everyone, was "only" 86.2. Wilson is money at home, and he's an easy top-10 play for me this week.
If you're desperate: Michael Vick is expected to get the start for the Eagles on Sunday. He had 17 points the last time he faced the Giants, and New York has allowed an average of 20 points a game to opposing QBs in their past four. Plus, over the past three seasons, Vick has more rushing yards (244) and rushing first downs (14) against the Giants than any other opponent. … Chad Henne isn't a good quarterback, but against the Titans, you don't need to be. You just need to throw, and throw he will. … I'd hate to have to count on Eli Manning in a Week 17 game, but the matchup with Philly is certainly right, and he has back-to-back 22-point performances in his past two home games. … Ryan Tannehill has the fourth-highest QBR in the NFL the last two weeks, and I could see him putting up decent junk-time stats against the Patriots. … I've seen crazier things than Philip Rivers having a good game at home against the Raiders.

[h=3]Quarterbacks I hate in Week 17[/h]Matt Ryan, Falcons: Very simple: I don't think he plays the whole game. Maybe it's three quarters, maybe it's a half, and maybe against Tampa Bay, that's enough. But Atlanta has nothing to gain here and I could easily see Ryan playing just a series or two. I'm avoiding if I can -- there are just too many unknowns.
Andy Dalton, Bengals: It's not that it's a bad matchup; it's fine. It's just, well, I don't think Dalton is playing particularly well the last few weeks. Missing on throws, seems hesitant to me, he's got 14 points or less in four straight now, despite generally favorable matchups. He's leaving points on the field, and even though Marvin Lewis says he's not pulling players, who knows how he'll feel once the game starts? Bengals are locked into their playoff spot.
Joe Flacco, Ravens: Always plays more poorly on the road (he's averaging just 10 points in away games), the Bengals defense is red-hot right now and allowing the fifth-lowest fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks this year.
Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: No Heath Miller, and I don't expect Mike Wallace to play either. With those two missing and his recent struggles, I see an OK game from him here but he's not a top-10 play, despite what looks like a good matchup on paper. The Browns won't score at all in this game with all their injuries, so I don't see Big Ben needing to air it out.

[h=3]Running backs I love in Week 17[/h]C.J. Spiller, Bills: An obvious name, but putting him here because I have him as a top-five play and you could easily have Spiller, Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles and yes, I am saying, based on my ranks, I would start Spiller over either guy. In the last two weeks he has 274 total yards and a score, and I expect him to do well against the Jets and their 27th-ranked run defense.
LeSean McCoy, Eagles: In the nine games with Michael Vick as quarterback, McCoy averaged 4.3 yards per carry. In three games with Nick Foles? Just 3.9 yards per carry. Given the Giants' 25th-ranked run defense, McCoy is a top-10 play for me.
Ahmad Bradshaw, Giants: It ain't like the Eagles are stopping anyone either.
Knowshon Moreno, Broncos: Since Moreno took over the starting job in Week 12, he has at least 20 carries in every game and has 177 yards after first contact, the fifth-most of any player over that span.
Shonn Greene, Jets: Had 94 and a score the last time he faced Buffalo, has double-digit fantasy points in three of his past four, three scores in his past three, and they don't have one quarterback who can throw. My advice? Don't actually watch this game, it'll get U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, but lord help me, Shonn Greene is actually a good start this week.
Montell Owens, Jaguars: Another one you are better off starting but not actually watching, but since becoming the lead guy for the Jaguars, he's actually been decent. And there's reason for optimism if he keeps it up versus the Titans. First, 175 of Owens' 209 rushing yards (and his only touchdown) have come on rushes inside the tackles. Tennessee has allowed 13 rushing touchdowns inside the tackles this season, third-most in the NFL. In addition, the Titans have allowed 44 completions on screen passes this season, tied for the third-most in the NFL. (Owens' big play last week was on a screen pass). If you need a guy …
If you're desperate: Jackie Battle is going to get the majority of carries against the Raiders, who give up the fifth-most fantasy points to opposing running backs. … Mark Ingram has three scores in his past four including one in each of the last two, he scored the last time he faced the Panthers, and he's been getting the majority of carries for the Saints lately.

[h=3]Running backs I hate in Week 17[/h]
Trent Richardson and Montario Hardesty, Browns: I don't know who starts for Cleveland on Sunday and I don't care. Whether it's Trent at less than 100 percent or Hardesty, it's a bad matchup against the Steelers' No. 2 rush defense, and the Browns may be starting their third-string quarterback in this one. No thanks.Darren McFadden, Raiders: Remember when he was Darren McFadden? If you are still playing this week, it's no thanks to him. With Matt Leinart as his quarterback and the Chargers on the other side (fourth against the run), I wouldn't want to risk it.
Michael Turner, Falcons: It's not just for all the reasons I normally have him on this list! It's also because I don't think he plays very much.

[h=3]Wide receivers I love in Week 17

Wes Welker, Patriots: Always crushes the Dolphins, including a 12-for-103 and a score game earlier this year.
Danario Alexander, Chargers: Double digits in five of the last seven and in three of the last four, he's a big-play threat and only six teams have allowed more pass plays of 20-plus yards than the Oakland Raiders.
Antonio Brown, Steelers: A touchdown in three straight games, I expect Mike Wallace to be out Sunday, which means even more looks for the guy who has led the Steelers in targets since Ben has been back.
Justin Blackmon, Jaguars: Speaking of being the only wideout left; with Cecil Shorts done for the year, JB, as only I call him, is coming off two strong games, had five for 62 and a score the last time he faced the Titans, and should have a field day against Tennessee.
If you're desperate: He doesn't get a ton of snaps but somehow, some way, Santana Moss always seems to play well against the Cowboys, with 1,102 yards and seven scores in just 13 games against them as a member of the Redskins, including a touchdown this year. … With Mario Manningham out and Michael Crabtree covered by Patrick Peterson, I could see Randy Moss getting more run than normal. … We know New England gives up the deep ball and it's fair to say Miami is gonna have to throw against the Pats. Brian Hartline could have a decent day here.
[/h][h=3]Wide receivers I hate in Week 17[/h][h=3]Reggie Wayne, Colts: They say they are playing the whole game, but if anyone gets a rest, it might be Wayne. And this is not a good matchup for him, regardless. Houston shut down Wayne in their first meeting, holding him to season lows in receptions (3), receiving yards (14) and yards after the catch per reception (1.3). It was the only game this season in which Wayne did not have a receiving first down or a reception on a pass that traveled more than 10 yards downfield.
Hakeem Nicks, Giants: As of this writing, he wasn't even convinced he would play, and even if he does, how confident can you feel? He's clearly not 100 percent, he's been ice-cold lately, and even in a good matchup, he has four points or less in three of his past four. Not worth the risk.
Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals: The saddest part about the Cardinals is that Brian Hoyer is probably their best chance. But on the road at San Francisco I'm not willing to take the risk, no matter how talented Larry is. Good game last week, yes, but too many things can -- and probably will -- go wrong on the road at an angry 49ers team that has plenty to play for.
Roddy White and Julio Jones, Falcons: Both have dealt with injury issues this year, and with Atlanta having nothing to play for, I expect them to be the most cautious with these two.
Denarius Moore, Raiders: Two words: Matt. Leinart.
[/h][h=3]Tight ends I love in Week 17[/h][h=3]Antonio Gates, Chargers: Sigh. One last time, Antonio. What do you say? You've now scored in two straight and the Raiders give up the seventh-most fantasy points to opposing tight ends. I believe.
Greg Olsen, Panthers: At least 50 yards in four of the past five and a score in two of the past four, the Saints are tied for the eighth-most fantasy points allowed to opposing tight ends.
If you're desperate: Kyle Rudolph is very hit or miss, but he did score last week and in three of the last five, including his last game against the Packers. … Aaron Hernandez is the only tight end who has been targeted more than Dallas Clark over the last two weeks. His 12 receptions over that span are tied with Jimmy Graham for the most in the league among tight ends. … With Cecil Shorts out, maybe a little more love comes Marcedes Lewis' way against the Titans, who allow the third-most fantasy points to opposing tight ends.
[/h][h=3]
[/h][h=3]Tight ends I hate in Week 17[/h][h=3]Brandon Myers, Raiders: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a third time and you end up on the hate list.

Jacob Tamme, Broncos: Despite how bad the Chiefs are overall, they give up the ninth-fewest fantasy points to opposing tight ends.
Jermichael Finley, Packers: I'm gonna miss putting him on this list.
[/h][h=3]Defenses I love in Week 17[/h][h=3]San Diego Chargers D/ST: Two words: Matt. Leinart. The fourth-highest scoring defense in fantasy, they have at least 12 points in three of the past four, and I mentioned the Matt Leinartness of it all, right? I did? Good. Matt. Leinart.
Pittsburgh Steelers D/ST: Possibly no Trent Richardson and the third-string quarterback? At home? You betcha.
If you're desperate: The Jets have three quarterbacks and none of them can throw. So picking the defense against them, in this case the Buffalo Bills, is never a bad idea. … Tough matchup, to be sure, but the Bengals' defense is playing at such a high level it doesn't matter who they are facing. And Joe Flacco on the road is nothing to be scared of.
[/h][h=3]Defenses I hate in Week 17[/h][h=3]Dallas Cowboys D/ST: The Redskins just don't turn the ball over very much and the Cowboys have been so banged-up I'd be leery of starting either defense in what should be a high-scoring contest. Not that you were thinking of starting the Redskins D.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers D/ST: Just in case you were thinking of getting cute and starting them, because Atlanta will probably rest most of its starters. Don't. It's not a good defense, and it's on the road.
And with that … the 2012 season of Love/Hate is in the books. Well, maybe not the books. A book. Lots and lots of words; if you made it this far I am very appreciative for your attention, reads and patience. Hope you had a great season and as much fun reading as I did writing. I'll be doing some offseason stuff for football soon enough, but in the meantime, have a great final Sunday of the regular season and a safe and happy new year.

[/h]

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Four Downs: The top fantasy scorer is ...
in.gif

Eric Karabell

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was a fantasy monster this season, while Arian Foster, Doug Martin and Marshawn Lynch certainly produced like champs as well. Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson broke the record for receiving yards in a season. Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady of the New England Patriots scored like the first-round picks they were, and nobody could complain about Denver Broncos veteran Peyton Manning or rookie Robert Griffin III of the Washington Redskins. However, none of these fellows led all of fantasy in standard scoring for the 2012 season.

<offer>Congrats to somewhat overlooked, but incredibly consistent, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees for this first-time honor. He has been a top-10 quarterback for an amazing nine consecutive seasons -- Rodgers, Brady and Manning can't say this -- and there's little reason for concern about falling short of a 10th year in 2013. Back in August, there was mild concern about Brees being able to repeat his monster 2011 campaign due to various factors (age, contract, the bounty mess, loss of coach, change in weapons), and perhaps it factored into him being merely the third quarterback chosen on average in ESPN live drafts . Regardless, with his 29 standard points against Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers in Sunday's Week 17 loss, Brees ended up with 337 points, tops in the game, and one must wonder, is that enough to make him the top quarterback for 2013 drafts?

Well, the case can certainly be made. After all, on Sunday Brees completed consecutive seasons with 5,000-plus passing yards and 40-plus touchdown passes, a first for either statistic in NFL history. There have been six individual seasons of 5,000 passing yards, and Brees owns half of them. Neither he nor returning coach Sean Payton are leaving the Saints anytime soon, and while arguably the worst defense ever needs a lot of help, the offense cruised again, even with surrounding injuries and modest change, just like always. Brees closed the season with three consecutive 29-point performances, and his only bad performance was in Week 13, when he threw five interceptions at Atlanta. Other than that, nobody could complain, because no player scored more.

I won't be ranking any quarterbacks in my overall top 10 for 2013 drafts. To be honest, I didn't want to do so for this season, but succumbed to reality due to a lack of reasonable running back options forcing this one-year philosophy change. That will not be the case in 2013, meaning my top quarterbacks will be in the second round, but Brees deserves to lead that group. Nothing against Rodgers or Brady since they're just as qualified -- I won't put Griffin in this class yet -- but thanks in part to the Saints' lack of defense, Brees might be the better bet to again score the most points. He's the safest, most reliable combination of top statistics and durability, and the fact that he turns 34 in a few weeks is irrelevant. Brees fell short of the NFL postseason in 2012, but fantasy owners rode him to championships, and will again.

Second down: As for the rest of Week 17, the No. 3 scorer (after the surprising Tennessee Titans D/ST and Sunday night star Alfred Morris) was fantasy tormentor DeAngelo Williams of the Panthers. Certainly facing the defenseless Saints was a factor, but 210 rushing yards and two touchdowns (33 standard points) is quite an explosion, especially considering Williams reached double digits in fantasy scoring only four times over the first 16 weeks. You could blame others in the offense, with Newton and Mike Tolbert stealing rushing touchdowns and the prolonged presence of Jonathan Stewart, but Williams has underachieved from a fantasy sense since winning the scoring title in 2008. That's four years ago! He'll be 30 by next season, and who knows where he will be playing and with whom, but it's tough to trust him despite this Week 17 performance that was enjoyed by so few, based on recent track record. We've been fooled long enough.

Third down: The top wide receiving performance of Week 17 came from a surprising place, as San Francisco 49ers No. 1 option Michael Crabtree scored a career-high 29 fantasy points. He entered the week 19th in season scoring at wide receiver, but eight catches, 172 yards and two touchdowns neatly drove attention to his strong second half. Crabtree topped 100 receiving yards three times in the final five weeks, no doubt aided by the presence of quarterback Colin Kaepernick. It's tough to justify top-10 status for 2013 drafts -- there are simply too many reliable veterans -- but Crabtree is not far from that status. As for Kaepernick, he'll similarly miss my top-10 quarterbacks, but also by merely a few spots after reaching 14 fantasy points in each of the final eight games this season. No other quarterback, including Brees, accomplished this.

Fourth down: It's typical for a Week 17 to introduce new names to the fantasy landscape and perhaps attain relevance the following season, and this year was no different. At quarterback, Terrelle Pryor of the Oakland Raiders produced 22 fantasy points at San Diego, with nearly half of it coming with his legs. Those in dynasty formats, as noted in Friday's Sneaky Pickups blog, should be intrigued by all running quarterbacks at this point, though Pryor is guaranteed nothing in 2013. At running back, Baltimore Ravens reserve Bernard Pierce (89 rushing yards), a rookie from Temple, closed well in place of a healthy Ray Rice. Pierce ran for 212 yards the final two games, and for the season averaged nearly 5 yards per carry. Rice's owners shouldn't be concerned, as their man is again a first-rounder in 2013, but Pierce will be among the most popular handcuffs, perhaps the next version of Ben Tate from 2011. And at wide receiver, Arizona Cardinals rookie Michael Floyd, with 39 standard fantasy points all season, scored 20 Sunday on 166 receiving yards and a touchdown. The Cardinals desperately need a quarterback, and Larry Fitzgerald is secure, but Floyd has the look of a future star as well. Other rookie wide receivers who starred Sunday include Rueben Randle of the New York Giants, T.Y. Hilton of Indy, Jarius Wright of the Vikings and Justin Blackmon of the Jaguars. Each will be an intriguing mid-round pick in 2013 drafts.
</offer>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Nash, Ellis worth using again in Fastbreak

By Tom Carpenter
ESPN.com

Last week I went into quite a bit of detail examining some of the positive and negative quirks of upcoming schedules for a number of teams. As I noted then, the volume of games in which a player takes part each week not only is important when it comes to choosing which guys to use when setting a weekly schedule in the Fastbreak game, but it's also critical when examining trade offers in points leagues -- or any head-to-head format, for that matter.
For instance, in the short term, if you trade a forward for a guard due to position needs and they have similar per-game production, you may actually lose value if the guard you acquire plays one fewer game each week for the next month.
In the long term, you should be looking all the way ahead to the playoffs in head-to-head leagues. Be sure to check your H2H league's settings to find out when your playoffs run, but let's take a look at the stretch of games that run from Week 20-Week 24 (skipping the abbreviated Week 25, when the Los Angeles Lakers and New Orleans Hornets play once and everyone else plays twice).
If your playoffs start in Week 20, you'll want to avoid having players from the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Clippers and Sacramento Kings, because they all play just twice. The Bulls players make up for it by playing four times the next week, then 3, 4, 4 to round it out. But the same can't be said for the Clippers (3, 4, 3, 3) and Kings (4, 3, 3, 3). That doesn't necessarily mean you should run away from high-end points-league players like Chris Paul or DeMarcus Cousins, but it does limit their impact. On the other hand, secondary performers on those rosters likely will be outperformed by similar players on teams with better scheduled.
The Los Angeles Lakers play just twice in Week 21, but that's sandwiched between four games in Weeks 20 and 22 before finishing out with three and four games. Meanwhile, the Portland Trail Blazers are the only team in the final weeks to have a five-game stretch (Week 21), but the rest of their schedule is up and down (3, 5, 3, 4, 3).
The Minnesota Timberwolves and New York Knicks have the strongest playoff schedules, as they both finish the season with six consecutive four-game weeks. The Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Heat, Milwaukee Bucks and Washington Wizards all are solid with four weeks of four games over the final five weeks of the season. The Atlanta Hawks have an excellent schedule by playing four games in six straight weeks, but their players will burn you in Week 24, when they play only twice. The Detroit Pistons, Orlando Magic and Utah Jazz also play just two times that week.
Other overall weak schedules include the Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets and Toronto Raptors, all of whom play three games in all but one week during that stretch of playoff games.
That's all some food for thought as you look down the road to the postseason, but let's switch gears and take a look at some of the better values in Week 11, when the Wiz and Clips play just twice and the Pistons begin their brutal back-to-back two-game weeks.
Guards
Monta Ellis (9.9), Milwaukee Bucks: Ellis hasn't been a great option in the Fastbreak game this season, partly because it took him a while to get rolling with the Bucks and partly because the team has had a terribly unfriendly schedule (only three four-game stretches over the first 10 weeks). That schedule remains unfriendly for the long term, as they don't have a back-to-back set of four-game weeks until Weeks 19-21. However, three of his four Week 11 games come against weak defenses (PHX, DET, TOR), and Ellis is good enough to still make noise on the road against the Bulls.
Steve Nash (8.3), Los Angeles Lakers: As always in games like Fastbreak, where contract values fluctuate based on performance, there is an upside to being injured: Your market value remains stagnant. Thus, Nash, despite his tremendous upside, remains a genuinely cheap play at $8.3 million. He could also be a long-term fixture on Fastbreak rosters as we roll to the All-Star break, because aside from three games in Week 12, the Lakers play four games every week until the break.
Damian Lillard (8.2), Portland Trail Blazers: Because his market value started so low as a rookie, and he is entering his second consecutive four-game week, I'm coming back to Lillard for Week 11. Adam Stanco and I discussed Lillard's ridiculous production in this week's Fantasy Focus Basketball Podcast, and we agreed that Lillard is in position to finish the season not just as the top rookie, but among the better fantasy producers in the game. This week's schedule isn't ideal, since he goes up against the Heat and Thunder, but he gets those games at home and fills out the week with delectable matchups versus the Warriors and Magic. You couldn't ask for a better value at guard.
Forwards
J.J. Hickson (9.6), Portland Trail Blazers: Hickson has had a couple of single-digit Fastbreak games recently, but I see that more as an anomaly than a slump. That's the beauty of double-double rebounders like Hickson. It's much more difficult to get into a slump when your stats are based on hustle; all he has to do is put the effort out there and he'll get a stack of rebounds and maintain a high field goal percentage by putting junk back through the hoop. He has a four-game slate in Week 11 and comes at a reasonable price.
Anthony Davis (9.1), New Orleans Hornets: As a rookie, Davis is much more susceptible to a genuine slump, which makes his two recent single-digit FB games a bit more disconcerting. However, his talent makes him worth consideration in Week 11 with four games, even though one is against the Spurs and another on the road against the Knicks. I expect Davis to be a beast after the All-Star break, but I think he's poised for a good stretch at a good price in Week 11, too.
Andrei Kirilenko (7.4), Minnesota Timberwolves: There is risk in using Kirilenko this week; he has had his ups and downs this season, plus the Wolves take on the Spurs and Thunder. However, if you are tight up against the salary cap, he's worth a strong look as a megabargain. To wit, only 16 players are averaging more Fastbreak points per game this season (18.8), yet 79 players will cost you more to sign to your roster ($7.4 million). With four games on his platter and Kevin Love nursing a sprained finger, Kirilenko offers good upside in Week 11, and you can't beat his upside/value ratio.
Center
Omer Asik (8.8), Houston Rockets: If you have the requisite cheddar, you can have your pick of the best Fastbreak centers, as the top seven producers will play four games in Week 11. However, if your salary-cap situation forces you to look for quality value, Asik may be your guy. He'll cost you $1.4 million less than any of the top options, has a four-game week and is capable of popping off 20 FB points against anyone.
Larry Sanders (8.5), Milwaukee Bucks: Sanders has been a giant in roto leagues all season due to his ability to block shots. But now that he has added rebounding to the mix, he's become a legitimate points-league stud. Coach Scotty Skiles' erratic rotations make him somewhat risky to use in Week 11, but if you are looking for a quality upside play on the cheap, Sanders is in position to help you out, especially since three of his four games are against defensively weak frontcourts (PHX, DET, TOR).

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Gridiron Playoff Challenge: Divisional round preview

By Tom Carpenter
ESPN.com

How did your wild-card weekend go? Hopefully your team rolled, but even if you had a rough start to the Gridiron Playoff Challenge, you still have a few more weeks of postseason action to turn things around. Keep in mind that, unlike the regular season version of this game, the market values for players doesn't change from week to week. That means that you can add players who succeeded (and won) last week without having to pay extra. Of course, we also have our choice of players from the New England Patriots, Atlanta Falcons, San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos, all of whom took last week off by earning a bye.
Don't forget that when we set lineups before next week's conference championship round, those lineups will remain in place through the Super Bowl, so you'll need to forecast which teams will advance. For this weekend's games, though, we just want to set a lineup that uses all of the best divisional playoff performers.
Quarterbacks
Just like last week, we have eight starting quarterbacks from whom to choose: Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Joe Flacco. Of the eight, we ideally want to choose the top two performers. I don't trust Schaub or Wilson in difficult road matchups. Despite Ryan's natural upside, it's hard to expect anyone to post a big game against that brutal Seattle Seahawks D. Wilson and Kaepernick have quality matchups, but even though they have faced veterans all season, they are inexperienced.
It's certainly hard to expect them to outperform Brady, Rodgers or Manning, all of whom have Super Bowl rings and high-upside offenses. Separating those three vets isn't easy, but I'll give the edge to Brady and Manning, who are playing at home. It doesn't hurt that Brady piled up nearly 300 yards and four touchdowns the first time he faced the Houston Texans this season. Rodgers actually did well in the season opener against the 49ers (24 GC points), but this time he's on the road. Even though the Ravens limited Manning to a season-low 12 GC points in Baltimore a few weeks ago, now he's back home in Denver. In the end, I see Brady and Manning as the safest plays with the best upside, while Wilson and Kaepernick are the best values if you are tight up against the salary cap.
Running backs
Although we have eight starting running backs available this weekend, the pool of likely high-end plays is far more limited. Barring fluke showings from someone like Danny Woodhead, we are really choosing from the likes of Arian Foster, Ray Rice, Marshawn Lynch, Frank Gore, Stevan Ridley and Knowshon Moreno. Only minor things differentiate this group. I'll pass on Rice on the road against that brutal Broncos rush D, and Ridley's upside should be capped against the Texans. Moreno popped off 17 GC points the last time the Broncos battled the Ravens, but he's been relatively quiet the past two weeks (11, 11). However, at $5.5 million, he's clearly the best value play.
Of the remaining three, I'm really intrigued by Gore in a good matchup at home against the Packers. He had 17 points against them in Week 1, and I expect him to make a lot of big plays this weekend. However, I see Lynch as the clear No. 1 RB play this week against the Falcons, and I'm not sure I can pass on Foster even against a pretty good Pats rush D. After all, the Pats allowed double-digit rushing touchdowns this season, and Foster churned out 13 GC points the first time around even though the Patriots blew out the Texans. At this point I am leaning toward pairing Foster (instead of Gore) with Lynch.
Wide receivers
As always, so many wide receivers can and will contribute each week, even in the playoffs, that we have plenty of quality values to mine here if you are battling the salary cap. I think Demaryius Thomas is the clear-cut top option at wideout this week. He is arguably the best wide receiver remaining in the playoffs, and he's at home with a pretty decent matchup against the Ravens' aging D.
On paper, Andre Johnson has the best matchup, and he should rack up plenty of yardage against the Patriots. However, he has just one TD catch in his past seven games, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats find a way to keep him in check, in part because I think the home-field factor is significant in statistical production in the playoffs. If you can afford to pair another top option with Thomas, I'd prefer Wes Welker; I expect Welker and Brady to make up for last year's playoff flub with a big game.
If you're looking for a cheaper option, you could roll the dice on Julio Jones or one of the pack of Packers wideouts. The trouble is they all have particularly rough matchups: Jones against the Seahawks and Rodgers' wide receivers on the road against the Niners. I'd rather use Michael Crabtree, who has a very promising matchup against the Packers. Plus he's at home. At $5.2 million, I think Crabtree offers the most bang for the buck in this round of the playoffs, although you also can make a case for the red-hot Eric Decker at $5 million.
Tight ends
I'm not sure there really is another choice beyond using Rob Gronkowski. The guy took five weeks off, then showed up in the regular-season finale and, despite being targeted only four times, pulled in two catches for 42 yards, a touchdown and 10 GC points. He rested the past two weeks and should be primed to feast on the Texans' D, which has been very vulnerable to opposing tight ends all season. I recommend finding the requisite money to ink the Gronk.
If you can't find that kind of bread without topping the salary cap, then I'd go with Gronk's tag-team partner Aaron Hernandez for $400K less. If you still need to go cheaper, consider Ravens TE Dennis Pitta. We haven't heard much from him in the past three weeks since the last time the Ravens met the Broncos, but in that game Pitta caught seven passes for 125 yards and two scores. We can't expect that kind of production, but tight ends can exploit the Broncos' D, and he comes at a very cheap $4.6 million this week.
Kickers
If you blew all your bucks at the high-end positions, there's nothing wrong with rolling out a cheap kicker, since there is so much randomness at the position. However, it appears that Steven Hauschka, the cheapest option at just $3.6 million, is headed to injured reserve. Assuming the Seahawks follow through with that plan, or if you have the spare bread to upgrade above the $3.8 million options, I would target Matt Prater for $3.9 million. That's still a good price, his offense is good enough to move the ball, and the Ravens are good enough that they could force a few field goal attempts.
Defenses
First off, don't forget that a win gets you five points for your defense, so make sure you pick a team you think will earn that bonus. The Niners will have their hands full against Rodgers and the Packers, but they still have arguably the most upside of the defenses available. They are at home and have tallied at least 13 GC points five times in the past seven games. Seattle's defense has been prolific at times this season and could come up big against a Falcons team that has yet to prove capable of stepping up in the playoffs, yet they are on the road.
In the end, I think the Broncos are the best value at defense. They have posted double-digit Gridiron Challenge scores in nine straight weeks and are at home against a Ravens offense that has proved capable of fizzling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giaoduc783
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com