Just Started Reading a Book Called "Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became one of America's Leading Atheists"

Search
i can understand why Christians, Jews, Muslims, Budhists etc would want to spread their word or beliefs to non-believers or anyone for that matter. And that is to spread the word of their God and possibly get the non-believers to "heaven" or whatever that religion sees as the afterlife.

I don't understand, however, why non-believers (atheists) want to spread their thinking. What good are you doing for someone if you are wrong? Why is it imprtant for an atheist to make everyone non-believers?

This constantly calling anyone who does not believe in one of the major man-made religious tenets an "atheist" is disturbing, it is also incorrect. I am not a Christian, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, etc. I am also not an atheist. Why is this issue discussed as if these are the only two options? To be frank, this is insulting.

Tokens
I have spent a lot of time with aboriginal natives, in Central America, South America, and some Pacific Islands. Some of these tribes were exceedingly peaceful, possessing no words for hurt, fight, harm, lie, kill, murder, etc. I found it extremely difficult to believe that they had no word for 'lie'. I did not believe this at first, so I tested the tribe on this. I tried to get them to tell a lie. They could not do it. Then I told one and no one would speak for several hours, and their faces were drenched in looks of sadness, it was heartbreaking.

These people do not have a written moral code, but they live a moral code that puts the behavior of every Christian I have ever known to shame. I have read the Bible many times and I do not believe that it contains a moral code. Yes, the New Testament has a few verses that discuss behavior, but these statements are very weak and incomplete.

I am guessing that you will say that I am wrong, so please list the moral code that is taught in the Bible.
the time you spent w these tribes sounds very very interesting. i would love to sit w you and talk about your experience's during this part of your life. relates to sociology,,,somthing i love....are you going to the bash???

Tokens
curiousone said:
I did not say that the First Cause is all powerful and all knowing. I have no way of knowing or guessing that.
Although you did not say that, it seems to me that the very concept of a “first cause” necessarily implies certain conceptual attributes. You do posit a first cause of the universe that was powerful and knowledgeable enough to transform being from non being. What can you offer, other than the previously mentioned properties, that would be capable of performing this?

curiousone said:
Actually, we do not agree on the existence of an all powerful, extremely knowledgeable creator of the universe. I said that I believe that something caused the universe to transform from an energy form to a material form, I call this the First Cause.
Without getting too bogged down in terminology, we do agree in an immaterial (the first cause has to have an immaterial property, since matter could not have literally existed before it came into existence) first cause of the universe that gave physical properties to non physical properties.

I wonder, however, what is your position on energy? I hope you don’t take the law of the conservation of energy to mean that energy exists eternally. On the standard big bang model, all matter, time, and energy came into existence at the big bang. Moreover, the BGV theorem provides strong certainty that any universe at a state of cosmic expansion must have had an absolute beginning; before which, there was literally nothing.

curiousone said:
I also believe that the First Cause had something to do with the creation of intelligent life on Earth. I think that this life form is so different from us that we would be unable to understand it.
I agree with you here as well, but I find it awkward that you think the first cause was involved in the creation of a universe fine tuned for intelligent life, yet later on in your post you say this :
curiousone said:
I am not saying that the First Cause does not have moral values, I am saying that we cannot know.
You provide no reasons for this assertion, and I see no good reason to take it as true. It’s one thing to say we don’t know X, but to say that we can’t know X requires that you know something absolute about the nature of X; and that is ultimately self-refuting.

curiousone said:
My disgust of the OT genocide and the quite lengthy list of other abhorrent acts comes from my own sense of right and wrong.
Then you have no warrant to be offended by it. In order for something to be evil, disgusting, and abhorrent, it needs to be that regardless of whether any particular person believes it to be that way. In the absence of that objectivity, all you have to offer is all moral values being based on an individual’s subjective opinion.

What I can offer is that, (as we both concede) we live in a universe that has been finely tuned for intelligent life by the first cause, it follows logically from this that there must be an ideal way in which to behave in any given situation. Something cannot be designed without having an ideal way in which the thing should operate.

This ideal is easier to discern in some situations (whether to care for a child or murder a child), but harder in others (abortion, capital punishment, euthanasia, etc).

curiousone said:
While I firmly believe that all humans can be quite moral persons if they choose to do so, I am not convinced that the First Cause is moral or gave us this moral ability.
And what is moral? The result of “my moral sense of right and wrong” is not sufficient, because it provides no way of knowing whether your moral senses are any better than that of the murdering psychopath. Morality ungrounded in some sort of objectivity is no morality.

curiousone said:
There are things claimed by the religionists for their God that make no sense.
I agree with this statement. I certainty hope that you don’t believe all people who identify with a religious worldview are “religionists”. That would be incorrect.

curious one said:
They claim that He (how can they know that it is a He, why not a She, or an It?)
If you want a better understanding of this, you might want to consider reading up on the role of gender in ancient Hebrew writings.

curiousone said:
Omnipotence is easily disproven.
So the first cause went from “something so different we can’t understand it” to here, where you’re saying what it definitely isn’t. All I ask is for some consistency in your position.

curiousone said:
But, I think that modern societies do things that twist this innate sense of right and wrong and replace it with a warped sense.
Agreed -- especially with your assertion that morality is (to a large extent) innate.

the time you spent w these tribes sounds very very interesting. i would love to sit w you and talk about your experience's during this part of your life. relates to sociology,,,somthing i love....are you going to the bash???
No, I won't be going to the bash.

Rx Alchemist.
Tokens
I have come to find that those that really,really,really believe in God and the bible, and those that really,really ,really do not believe in God or the Bible are equally annoying.

Although you did not say that, it seems to me that the very concept of a “first cause” necessarily implies certain conceptual attributes. You do posit a first cause of the universe that was powerful and knowledgeable enough to transform being from non being. What can you offer, other than the previously mentioned properties, that would be capable of performing this?
As I have said, we don't know, and I do not think that we can know. I did not say that the First Cause transformed being from non being, you said that. I said that the First Cause transformed the immaterial into the material. That is different from transforming non being into being.

Without getting too bogged down in terminology, we do agree in an immaterial (the first cause has to have an immaterial property, since matter could not have literally existed before it came into existence) first cause of the universe that gave physical properties to non physical properties.
Yes, the First Cause is immaterial, I do not know if it has a material existence or not. I suspect not but have no way of knowing.

I wonder, however, what is your position on energy? I hope you don’t take the law of the conservation of energy to mean that energy exists eternally. On the standard big bang model, all matter, time, and energy came into existence at the big bang. Moreover, the BGV theorem provides strong certainty that any universe at a state of cosmic expansion must have had an absolute beginning; before which, there was literally nothing.
I find it interesting that you ask for my opinion and before I can answer you tell me what my answer must look like. So, I will let you to continue to answer for me, I find this pretty insulting.

I agree with you here as well, but I find it awkward that you think the first cause was involved with a universe fine tuned for intelligent life, yet later on in your post you say this :
"I am not saying that the First Cause does not have moral values, I am saying that we cannot know."
You provide no reasons for this assertion, and I see no good reason to take it as true. It’s one thing to say we don’t know X, but to say that we can’t know X requires that you know something absolute about the nature of X; and that is ultimately self-refuting.
I never said that the universe was fine tuned for intelligent life. Please stop saying that I said things which I did not say. I do not know what this universe is fine tuned for. There are a very large number of large, complex entities that we do not understand. It appears to me that you assume that humanity is the only form of intelligent life. I do not make this assumption. Are stars alive? Are stars intelligent? Are there entities that do not need oxygen that live in deep space? Are trees intelligent? I don't know and you don't know either. You can guess but you cannot claim that you know.

Perhaps I am not as smart as you. We do not know what the First Cause is. Can we know what it is? I don't think so. I am not trying to make the assertions that you claim I am making. I am pretty certain that you know this and you are just impressing us with your formula writing ability. I am just trying to discuss something that is very difficult to discuss. So, instead of making assumptions and disagreeing with what you claim that I meant when you don't understand what I meant, and showing us how brilliant you are with your formulas, perhaps you could just ask what I meant?

"My disgust of the OT genocide and the quite lengthy list of other abhorrent acts comes from my own sense of right and wrong."
Then you have no warrant to be offended by it. In order for something to be evil, disgusting, and abhorrent, it needs to be that regardless of whether any particular person believes it to be that way. In the absence of that objectivity, all you have to offer is all moral values being based on an individual’s subjective opinion.
This is preposterous. According to this premise then no behavior can be bad. Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, the Crusaders, Mohammed, Genghis Khan, the leaders of the Hebrews who murdered EVERY person of over a dozen tribes, and many others cannot be said to have been evil or to have committed evil acts. I totally reject this nonsense.

What I can offer is that, (as we both concede) we live in a universe that has been finely tuned for intelligent life by the first cause, it follows logically from this that there must be an ideal way in which to behave in any given situation. Something cannot be designed without having an ideal way in which the thing should operate.
I find it interesting how you twist what I say and restate it in a form that means something that I do not mean and did not say. I never said that the universe has been finely tuned for intelligent life. We are here, the universe is a big place possessing a large number of complex physical entities, many of which we do not understand. I do not know if the universe has been fine tuned for us. You are assuming that this ideal way to operate is for the benefit of humans. I don't know that, nor do I assume that. Who says that humans are the only intelligence? How do you know that stars are not intelligent? I think that there is too much about the universe that we do not know to make such assumptions.

This ideal is easier to discern in some situations (whether to care for a child or murder a child), but harder in others (abortion, capital punishment, euthanasia, etc).
According to you. Yet, when I express my abhorrence at the genocidal maniacs (the Hebrew nation) in the Old Testament, you claim that I have no basis for being offended. I don't know what you are trying to prove.

I spent some time living with aboriginals who could not lie and when presented with a lie became, not upset, so disconcerted that they could not communicate for several hours. They could not harm another person. They could not steal. They had no words for these concepts in their language. After watching how they responded to lying, I came to believe that their behavior was not shaped by an external "moral code" but was inbred somehow. As if, they were born with it and they were not exposed to civilization, so that the inbred behavior was not then corrupted.

This is a guess, I am sure you will now prove me to be an idiot with your fancy talk. I think that humans are all born with an inbred sense of what is right and what is wrong, but that "civilization" beats it out of us and replaces it with a made up sense of 'right' and 'wrong'. I don't really now how to explain this properly, and if I had never seen these loving people, I would have never guessed that this was possible.

And what is moral? The result of “my moral sense of right and wrong” is not sufficient, because it provides no way of knowing whether your moral senses are any better than that of the murdering psychopath. Morality ungrounded in some sort of objectivity is no morality.
But you want to ground it in an objectivity that cannot be proven. "God". I reject this completely. So, you want me to believe that murdering all inhabitants of a complete nation for no reason other than "God said to do it" is moral but my repulsion at such action is not moral? You are insane.

"Omnipotence is easily disproven".
So the first cause went from “something so different we can’t understand it” to here, where you’re saying what it definitely isn’t. All I ask is for some consistency in your position.
I wasn't referring to the First Cause, I was referring to the Bible based religionists referring to their "God" as omnipotent. I never said that the First Cause is omnipotent, and I do not believe that it is.

I have come to find that those that really,really,really believe in God and the bible, and those that really,really ,really do not believe in God or the Bible are equally annoying.
I believe in the Bible, I believe that it is propaganda.

Breaking Bad Snob
Tokens
it also seem's when talking to one of these atheist most of them seem to be so bitter and angry toward's those who choose to believe in their faith of choice....i have never been angry w a non believer and it make's no sense to me what so ever to do so.....i feel like alot of them must of had a really bad experience early in their live's. to each their own...

Having wasted tens of hours of my life over the last 12 years I've been on the internet debating religion, I can assure you the anger goes both ways. You can look to our friend festeringZit for an example on the Christian side.

Breaking Bad Snob
Tokens
I have spent a lot of time with aboriginal natives, in Central America, South America, and some Pacific Islands. Some of these tribes were exceedingly peaceful, possessing no words for hurt, fight, harm, lie, kill, murder, etc. I found it extremely difficult to believe that they had no word for 'lie'. I did not believe this at first, so I tested the tribe on this. I tried to get them to tell a lie. They could not do it. Then I told one and no one would speak for several hours, and their faces were drenched in looks of sadness, it was heartbreaking.

Wow...that is awesome. If only Western Civilization had evolved in such a way.

powdered milkman
Tokens
haha.........keep it going boys

Tokens
Having wasted tens of hours of my life over the last 12 years I've been on the internet debating religion, I can assure you the anger goes both ways. You can look to our friend festeringZit for an example on the Christian side.

Yeah, I'm not the most patient person in the world...

I'm guessing you meant "tons of hours"

Handicapper
Tokens
Hey DEAC, did you grow up in a Christian home?

Honey Badger Don't Give A Shit
Tokens
Hours have a physical weight?

==========
Meanwhile, I'd like to say I have found the short assemblage of posts within this thread by Curiuosone to be extremely thoughtful and insightful, so I'm glad I took the time to skim over the multiple insult posts to see them

What I have wrestled with ever since this experience is this idea. Do human beings possess an innate sense of right and wrong at birth, and if this innate sense of right and wrong was not altered would they feel like these peaceful aboriginals feel about a great many things? Or, is this innate sense of wrong altered when an artificial conscience is imposed by western society (or communist society, or eastern society, or whatever other human society the child lives in).

Tokens

I agree with you here as well, but I find it awkward that you think the first cause was involved in the creation of a universe fine tuned for intelligent life, yet later on in your post you say this :

I agree with this statement. I certainty hope that you don’t believe all people who identify with a religious worldview are “religionists”. That would be incorrect.

If you want a better understanding of this, you might want to consider reading up on the role of gender in ancient Hebrew writings.

Agreed -- especially with your assertion that morality is (to a large extent) innate.

good post, to say the least...:smoker2:

Tokens
not even the kid's would ever have a reason to tell a lil 'white lie' as so not to get into trouble when caught doing somthing wrong? no jealously ever? this is getting very interesting....

That settles it...It's WED/DAY
Tokens
Awesome thread!!!

The only better thread is my penis is bigger than yours threads.

Great!

I believe in everything. God...the Easter bunny...sante claus....the tooth fairy....and that one day xpanda will want to be with me....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZelmaParri
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com