Fore!

Search
Tokens
Thanks, rounder. Outrights is a streaky endeavor, but it's been an exceptional run.

If I would have had time to post any write-up last week, I would have started by noting the following: (1) my exceptionally diligent capping this season extended beyond the Masters and into May, but has been tailing off in recent weeks, as I knew it eventually would; and (2) even though my capping for the Memorial and Nordea Masters started the latest of any week this season, and involved the least substantial effort of any week this season, I still came up with a full slate of plays that seemed to make sense . . . Lo and behold, it was a great week, with Ilonen(33/1) winning and Stanley(125/1) securing third, and those high finishes kept me very interested all week, which prevented further attrition in observing ANGLES and INFORMATION for another week, plus the U.S. Open qualifying is always rich with story lines.

Now for this week, I have a short vacation beginning today and continuing through Tuesday, so I won't be on top of much golf this weekend regardless of any leaderboards, and I didn't put myself out with my capping efforts this week, and I struggled to fill out my card with selections I felt I had some ANGLE or insight on.

Lastly, by tomorrow I'll contribute a few initial impressions regarding the U.S. Open.

Outrights:

Bud Cauley(80/1) e.w.
Cameron Tringale(66/1) e.w.
Shawn Stefani(200/1) e.w.
Robert Karlsson(33/1) e.w.
Casey Wittenburg(250/1) e.w.
- - Cauley has achieved less than I expected vis-a-vis his cohorts of young guns . . . Tringale had an inevitable lull, but IMO will be coming out of it this season as strong or stronger than before . . . not Mark Steffenhagen of FedEx fame . . .Why not Karlsson? . . . Wittenburg is a reach, but real value, IMO.

GL

Tokens
Outrights YTD: 18-162 (+84.61*)
Matchups YTD: 11-12 (-1.80*)

My opening observation on Merion comes from Johnny Miller during the Players, when he noted the greens at Sawgrass are really quick, but a lot of 10 foot putts (there) might break an inch, while a lot of 6 foot putts at Merion will break 6 inches, and the test at Merion will require a perfect matching of pace and line (not to mention nerves of a thief). I don't think the weather conditions change that equation, and in the final analysis, my roster swerves away from players with excellent ball striking credentials but shaky reputations with the putter (i.e., Weekley, Westwood, Molinari, Rose, Garcia, etc.). Dustin Johnson with his wedge, and Tim Clark with his chipping, are similarly non-starters in my capping of the 72 hole conclusion.

Amazing Stat: In 1981 at Merion, there were two Europeans in the field. This year, there are 37 Europeans.

Outrights:

Adam Scott(22/1) e.w. (1/4 for 1-2-3-4-5-6)
- - One of my selections for Augusta, I knew then I would not be picking up his winning marker at the U.S. Open, and he's done little wrong since then, other than getting himself paired in the Woods and McIlroy sideshow.

Matt Kuchar(22/1) e.w.
- - One of my selections at Augusta, he's done little wrong since then, and he's high on my short list once again.

Phil Mickelson(25/1) e.w.
- -

Zach Johnson(80/1) e.w.
- - I've always felt Zach would contend in some U.S. Opens, but I've never really liked his chances in any particular rendition since he won his Masters, and his record has been poor. This year he has certainly shown signs of his game coming into form, and Nick Faldo and Johnny Miller as announcers have both commented more than once on how they really like his swing action with a wedge in his hands.

Graeme McDowell(22/1) e.w.
- - He certainly wants it. Although I'm not at all fond of having plays on all three members of the Furyk/McDowell/Z.Johnson pairing.

Kyle Stanley(150/1) e.w.
- -

Jim Furyk(50/1) e.w.
- - My antepost selection from the Players:
U.S. Open:
Jim Furyk(50/1) e.w.
- - I've been tracking the Pennsylvania native for the U.S. Open at Merion, certainly grinding for a chance to match the redemption Payne Stewart achieved at Pinehurst after his Olympic experience. But I'll give the Jacksonville area resident a shot at something else he covets, and take the excellent price that comes with it.
Angel Cabrera(100/1) e.w.
- - Continuing with another one of my selections from Augusta; he has handled the greens at Augusta and Oakmont; his success at Wentworth only adds to my sense of him as a good mudder; and his form since Augusta continues to impress.

Charley Hoffman(175/1) e.w.
- - When it comes to one more play, this hunch gets the nod over Howell, Wittenberg, Lingmerth, Jacobson, and Manassero.

Lucas Glover(250/1) e.w.
- - I'm confident his time is coming, but I'm almost equally confident that time is not this week.

Tiger Woods(6/1) Win Only
- - Insurance against.

Charley Hoffman(125/1) e.w. (1/4 for 1-2-3-4-5) 1st Round Leader
- -

Casey Wittenberg(250/1) e.w. 1st Round Leader
- -

GL

Tokens
Sunday:

Phil Mickelson(-180) Top 5
Billy Horschel(+205) Top 5

Summarizing (and agreeing with) some takes from elsewhere . . .

Horschel - Swings beautifully, but all this talking to himself in the third person out on the course is a worry in this spot, but a great experience for him.

Donald - Impressed with Donald on Saturday, but the shots he hit on 17 and 18 were woeful and indicative of how he was feeling the pressure.

Rose - Just can't see him getting it done. Good pairing with Donald, but they may drag each other down.

Stricker - Will four days be catching up with the fella who already has the swing of someone on the senior tour?

Schwartzel - He's done it before, as have the South Africans.

Mahan - Looks and sounds relaxed and played solid golf all week.

Mickelson - If he drives the ball well again today, can't see anybody outscoring him.

What will Phil do next?

Happy Fathers Day!

GL

Tokens
Outrights YTD: 21-174 (+77.26*)
Matchups YTD: 13-13 (-1.62*)

BMW International:

Outrights:

Henrik Stenson(14/1) e.w.
Thomas Bjorn(33/1) e.w.
Marcel Siem(35/1) e.w.
Paul Casey(45/1) e.w.
David Lynn(66/1) e.w.
Niclas Fasth(200/1) e.w.

GL

Tokens
Travelers:

Outrights:

Rickie Fowler(28/1) e.w.
John Huh(66/1) e.w.
Bud Cauley(125/1) e.w.
Cameron Tringale(125/1) e.w.
Jerry Kelly(100/1) e.w.
Mike Weir(380/1) e.w.
J.J. Henry(150/1) e.w.
Lucas Glover(150/1) e.w.

GL

Tokens
Outrights YTD: 23-186 (+77.51*)

Outrights:

Thomas Bjorn(14/1) e.w.
Shane Lowry(20/1) e.w.
Ross Fisher(22/1) e.w.
Paul Casey(45/1) e.w.
Robert-Jan Derksen(125/1) e.w.
Rhys Davies(280/1) e.w.

GL

Tokens
AT&T National:

Outrights:

Billy Horschel(22/1) e.w.
Angel Cabrera(66/1) e.w.
Stuart Appleby(125/1) e.w.
Charles Howell III(66/1) e.w.
David Lingmerth(100/1) e.w.
Nicolas Colsaerts(80/1) e.w.
Lucas Glover(200/1) e.w.
K.J. Choi(80/1) e.w.

GL

Tokens
U.S. Women's Open:

Outrights:

Angela Stanford(66/1) e.w.
- - The course doesn't suit, but nevertheless.

GL

Tokens
Outrights YTD: 26-198 (+98.07*)

Open de France:

Outrights:

Simon Khan(150/1) e.w.
Graeme Storm(140/1) e.w.
Raphael Jacquelin(50/1) e.w.
Gregory Havret(70/1) e.w.
Victor Dubuisson(100/1) e.w.
Richard Sterne(50/1) e.w.
Thomas Aiken(125/1) e.w.
David Lynn(80/1) e.w.
Bernd Wiesberger(33/1) e.w.
Ian Poulter(25/1) e.w.
Soren Kjeldsen(100/1) e.w.

GL

Tokens
Greenbrier:

Outrights:

Andres Romero(100/1) e.w.
Graham Dalaet(25/1) e.w.
Kyle Stanley(50/1) e.w.
Cameron Tringale(100/1) e.w.
Jimmy Walker(60/1) e.w.
Luke Guthrie(100/1) e.w.
Lucas Glover(150/1) e.w.
Mike Weir(500/1) e.w.
Stuart Appleby(150/1) e.w.

GL

Tokens
Outrights YTD: 29-216 (+109.82*)

Scottish Open:

Outrights:

Paul Casey(22/1) e.w.
Alex Noren(30/1) e.w.
Ignacio Garrido(300/1) e.w.

GL

Tokens
U.S. Senior Open:

Outrights:

Rocco Mediate(40/1) e.w.
Tom Watson(33/1) e.w.
Tom Lehman(14/1) e.w.
Colin Montgomerie(25/1) e.w.

GL

Tokens
John Deere Classic:

Outrights:

Lucas Glover(200/1) e.w.
Rory Sabbatini(100/1) e.w.
J.J. Henry(175/1) e.w.
Scott Stallings(40/1) e.w.
Luke Guthrie(66/1) e.w.
Kyle Stanley(60/1) e.w.
Stuart Appleby(200/1) e.w.
Chez Reavie(125/1) e.w.
John Senden(45/1) e.w.

GL

Tokens
John Deere Classic:

Outrights:

Lucas Glover(200/1) e.w.
Rory Sabbatini(100/1) e.w.
J.J. Henry(175/1) e.w.
Scott Stallings(40/1) e.w.
Luke Guthrie(66/1) e.w.
Kyle Stanley(60/1) e.w.
Stuart Appleby(200/1) e.w.
Chez Reavie(125/1) e.w.
John Senden(45/1) e.w.

GL

You've been riding Glover all year, maybe this is the one... Good luck!

Tokens
Outrights YTD: 30-232 (+98.82*)

The 142nd Open Championship

Link: ASAP Sports Transcripts - Golf - 2013 - THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP - July 16 - Graeme McDowell

Graeme McDowell
Gullane, Scotland
July 16, 2013

MIKE WOODCOCK: We'll get started. Just like to thank Graeme McDowell for coming in and joining us this afternoon. You've had quite a run recently, I think three wins in the last seven tournaments. Must give you a lot of confidence coming into this week.

GRAEME MCDOWELL: Yeah. Always great to be back at the Open Championship, especially when the sun is shining. I'll try not to talk about the weather too much today. We'll enjoy it while we have it. Great golf course here, completes my set of Open golf courses this week. Muirfield was the only one in the rotation I had never played before, and got a chance to come here early last week and play it in beautiful conditions. And it's, as everyone has seen, it's in magnificent condition. It's a fantastic golf course. And really, really excited to be here and ready to go, like you say. Some good confidence coming off the back of a win two weeks ago in France. A golf course which is not dissimilar in style to a golf course like this one, where fairways and greens are a real premium, and very much so this week, where fairways are a must. You really can't play this golf course from the rough. You must keep it in the short grass to have a chance and out of the bunkers. It's a really, really great of golf. I'm excited about the way things are setting up.

Q. You said you never completed The Open set, where does this one rank on the Open set? And what do you think are the strong points about it?

GRAEME MCDOWELL: It's right up there for me. I'd probably say Birkdale, Turnberry, Lytham and this one, in no particular order, that's my four favorite Open golf courses, Open venues. St. Andrews takes a lot of beating from me as a venue. But golf courses I really enjoy this one. Strengths, it doesn't have a lot of weaknesses, let's be honest. It doesn't feel long. But let's be honest, when a links golf course is playing this firm and fast, it doesn't have to be long. I think it's well bunkered. A lot of the bunkers around the greens are very playable and very fair. The bunkers in the fairways are hack-out material, like they should be. I think they've done a great job with the rough this week. It's nicely graded. It's thick in the areas it should be thick, and gives you half a chance to get club on ball in areas sort of where you deserve to have a chance. And I love the flight entrances into a lot of greens, like the 10th hole behind us, here. To me I see that hole as not a lot of club off the tee, as it must find fairway, but then you've got quite a big target to hit into. So you can kind of go into these greens with a bit more club in your hand. Be conservative off the tee and a bit more aggressive into the greens. The par-3s are probably a key to this golf course. All four of them are very difficult. All upslope short of the green, and you've got to really sort of beat the first seven or eight yards of the green and heavily bunkered. Par-3s are key. The two par-5s are certainly chances, for sure, in the prevailing wind. It's got a really nice balance. I think it's very fair. I think bad golf gets punished and good golf gets rewarded. I think it's a very fair golf course. I like it a lot.

Q. I'm sure you've seen the list of winners here over the years, going way back, it's almost all Hall of Famers. Any theories as to why this place produces such great winners? Is it a coincidence or is there something to the fact that the guys at those times are the ones emerging as the winners?

GRAEME MCDOWELL: I think because it's a fair test. I've pictured some of the Open rotation golf courses, they can be quite severe from a terrain point of view. And you've really -- it's kind of a bunch here or a bunch there, it's depending on which side of the slope you hit can be the difference between birdie and bogey. I think this golf course is extremely fair. It's got a lot of, like I talked about, a lot of flat entrances into greens, where good shots are getting rewarded more often than not here. This golf course is all right there in front of you, there's no hidden tricks to it. Like I say, good quality golf gets rewarded. When a links golf course starts to play firm and fast, and some of the fairways can be quite undulating and lots of humps and hollows. That's just the nature of links golf. If you catch the wrong side of a slope or downslope or upslope, it can be construed as quite unfair. I don't think there is anything like that on this course. This course is just all there in front of you. You hit the shots, they'll be where you expect them to be. It gives you half a chance around the greens. It's very penal off the tee, about half a chance around the greens, gives you a chance to pitch and hit bunker shots, and doesn't kind of unduly punish you too much. Of course you're going to find yourself up against the lip of a few traps here and there. Nine out of ten times this golf course will reward good golf, and like I say, punish you off the tee, but give yourself opportunities up and around the greens. I think it's a fair golf course which rewards great players and great golf, probably why we have so many great champions at this venue.

Q. Given your performance for the majority of the Open last year, and the fact that two of your victories this year in Bulgaria and France have come on links-style courses, does that put good memories in the bank to draw upon, or is this a completely different challenge?

GRAEME MCDOWELL: No, I think growing up on a links golf course, if I was to say which one of the four Major championships, if I was to win one, you know, again, what would my best chance come, it would certainly come at a U.S. Open or British Open. I think the links style golf is in my blood and I always feel like I revert back well to it. I'm naturally and instinctually can play well in the wind. The short game I have a fairly good instinct for the short game, and I'm say very good pace putter, the things I've learned growing up, I suppose. Like you say, the golf course in Bulgaria, to an extent and certainly the golf course at the French Open, in many ways was very, very good preparation for a week like this. I'm sure Castle Stuart last week was good prep for a lot of reasons, firm and fast, and pace putting, et cetera. I think French Open from a point of view of hitting fairways, long fescue when you get off the beaten track, firm and fiery conditions, playing quite conservatively off the tee and aggressive into the greens, I've always felt that that was a good course for me, because it was quite linksy. So that was good prep. And hopefully I'll be trying to use my links skills to good effect this week. This is a bit like Lytham last year. I liked it when I saw it, as far as a golf course that sets up for me in The Open rotation. A golf course like St. Andrews probably really wouldn't be my cup of tee, because guys that can fly it 300, 320 yards, can bomb trouble out of play at St. Andrews, but they can't blow it out of play here because it's well bunkered bunkers, plenty of rough. There's going to be a lot of similar-type plays off tees that you're not going to be able to over-par this golf course, I think. It sets up well.

Q. Given the three wins that you've had this year have come in similar sets, how do you go about creating a master plan this week? Do you take the place apart on paper or in your head or working the greens backwards? What way do you go about planning?

GRAEME MCDOWELL: Really just by hitting shots. And even from a week ago, when my caddie and I were here, Monday afternoon, evening, and Tuesday morning last week, the golf course has sped up again. Shots that were maybe 3-irons last week, are sort of becoming 4- and 5-irons. It's really getting firmer and faster. You really kind of have to be ready for any contingency, I suppose. If the wind switches, a hole can play entirely different. A bunker that you're trying to take out of play with a 3- or 4-iron, might be a hole you can all of a sudden take on. I picture a hole on the back nine -- I think it's 12. Kind of downhill, par-4. It's playing back into the wind today. It's kinds of a 3-iron and an 8-iron. If it's weren't downwind, guys can blow it on that green. So you have to be looking at stuff like that. But like I say this golf course forces you into certain areas in the fairway. Holes like 18, there's very little you can do there, except hit it into the area about the size of this room that they kind of have bunker right, two bunkers kind of left, heavy rough left and short, and they're trying to get you to position it in this area to go into the green with a 4, 5, 6-iron. So I think that's the characteristic of the golf course in that it forces you into certain areas. There's a few holes that give you opportunities to kind of blow up past trouble and go in with less club. But that's kind of what I'm doing. I suppose I'm picturing different wind directions and how my game plan might change. And I feel like between myself and my caddie we're fairly good at that stuff.

Q. Gary Player told me that it was a pity that so many players will not be using driver this week from the tee. What is your view on that? And do you have a score in mind that might take it to win it this week?

GRAEME MCDOWELL: Looking at winning score, if the wind forecast is what they expect, which is fairly light, 8 to 10 miles an hour, switching to the east on the weekend, tough -- I think it might be 10, 12-under. It really just depends. It can get fairly evil with pin positions, The R&A, I have to say. They can get a little bit evil. These greens, there are some little corners on them that they can find. Obviously weather is always going to play a massive factor. Let's pray for a great, sunny, breezy weekend. That would be fantastic. As far as Mr. Player on the drivers, I'm not really sure what he means. He's an athletic, fit guy. Loves the dynamic kind of nature of the game of golf. And I'm sure he just wants to see guys out there ripping it and using their athletic ability. I like a bit of variety on a golf course. If I ever design a course, it will be a lot of different clubs off tees, and irons and woods, and something that kind of gets the brain working a little bit. This is certainly a game of chess this week, where you have to position your pieces and keep them in play. A little bit of reverse in that you've got to play a bit conservative off the tee and maybe a bit more aggressive into the greens. So certainly there won't be a lot of drivers. I don't see my hitting much more than five or six drivers out here. It's a great tactician golf course.

GL

Tokens
Phil Mickelson(20/1) e.w.
- -

Graeme McDowell(25/1) e.w.
- - My striking impression of McDowell at Merion was as that of a lonesome figure on the range, splashing balls out of puddles during a downpour, which didn’t prove to be brilliant preparation come Thursday. My early impression of McDowell this week was the easy equanimity of his press conference.

Henrik Stenson(45/1) e.w.
- - Ticks an awful lot of boxes for me, including his play at TPC Sawgrass, where the players play to pretty much the same spot off the tees.

Matteo Manassero(66/1) e.w.
- - Even though I don’t think Matteo is particularly adept at the long approach shot, there is (apparently) margin enough for his brand, and I think the rest of the examination is right in his wheelhouse.

Rickie Fowler(45/1) e.w.
- - Seems like a lousy price, but he can thrive if it becomes a grind, and definitely like that he’s one major removed from being paired with Tiger at the start.

Martin Kaymer(66/1) e.w.
- -

Chris Wood(140/1) e.w.
- - Bottom line, should the enormity of the situation emerge on Saturday and Sunday, I think he can carry my cash farther than Jamie Donaldson.

Lucas Glover(300/1) e.w.
- -

Boo Weekley(200/1) e.w.
- - Strikes a chord.

Tiger Woods(10/1) Win Only
- - After being called out by Hank Haney on his recent preparation for the majors, he sure found an odd way to use his precious prep time for this event.

More coming.

GL

BZ

RX Original
Tokens
Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purchasing5
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com