Fantasy Football News 2013/2014

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Words to live by

By Matthew Berry | ESPN.com

"Don't give up; don't ever give up."

If you read this column, you're a sports fan, and if you're a sports fan, I don't need to tell you who said those seven powerful words and how important they are.

Among the things that make me proudest to be an ESPN employee is our commitment to The V Foundation for Cancer Research. By the way, feel free to stop reading this and watch Jim Valvano's ESPY speech again, it'll only be the best 11 minutes you spend all week. Fantasy football can wait, I promise.

It's Jimmy V week here at ESPN, and as I do every year, I'd like to dedicate this week's column to those who live by Coach V's words.

Colin (Schuylerville, N.Y.): Hey Mr. Berry, My name is Colin, and I'm 20 years old from upstate New York. And as of June 1st this year, I'm a kid living with cancer. I think that's the way us cancer people like to say it? I'm still kind of new to this whole thing, so I'm not 100 percent on the nuances yet.

My whole life I've been an avid reader, but it was only last year that I started really getting into fantasy football. Some buddies of mine at college invited me into their league, and I was hooked after my first week; a crushing loss by two points. And it didn't get much better than that, I'm pretty sure I ended up about 4-8. This year, after learning of my diagnosis, I decided that I was going to dive head first and try to have multiple teams, since I'd have so much time on my hands. I ended up with 4, and I'm the commissioner of my own league in which I write up a loooong draft grade recap and weekly match-up reports. And due to this, I've made it my mission to read every article I can get my hands on as my week-long stays in the hospital for chemo demand reading material. I found myself sneaking off the wing with my IV to a lonely hallway so I could get some peace and quiet from the hectic hospital life. I'd sit on a window sill overlooking the city of Albany and slowly these brief periods of serenity would be what I looked forward to most each day (even if my nurses weren't always thrilled about not knowing where I was. It's OK though, what are they going to do, yell at me?) So I hope somehow this reaches you, so you can know how much I enjoy (fantasy football) and how important it's been to me.

Michael (Nevada): Hi Matthew, I enjoy your writing, especially the love/hate columns. Many people get worked up over your "misses" but no one is right 100 percent of the time and I take your choices with a grain of salt when evaluating my rosters. The reason I'm writing is that at age 50 my life is going downhill fast. My income went from $440k in 2009 to zero at present. My wife is stage 4 brain cancer and had two tumors removed in September. Yesterday we fought with insurances, doctors and pharmacy to get my wife her prescriptions (success today!). We moved in with her daughter's family so there are nine humans, three dogs and two cats occupying a 4 bedroom house. But ... I don't want you to feel bad for me. Life is a wonderful stressful thrill ride and we are dealing with the tougher side in 2013. I know things will improve and my wife is a fighter after surviving brain cancer in 2004. Someday soon I'll work again and thankfully have savings to get me through the next few months. So ... the next time you get trash-talked or worse, remember to appreciate life! I am so grateful for my two sons and daughter who make dad proud and have grown up too fast!

Greg (California) You have a beautiful family and even a job you love (at least most of the time). A bad day for you consists of when your fantasy teams don't have good days. From reading your articles, I know you already know how lucky you are. I always like reading about how your family comes first. My wife is in remission from a long battle with cancer involving multiple different chemo treatments, radiation, and a stem cell transplant. We don't know if we can have children from the effect of all her treatments but we can't try yet as she is high risk for relapse. I tell you this not because I want to tell you how lucky you are but to tell you how lucky I am. I have my wife and that is all that matters to me.

Colin, Michael, Greg ... thank you. All of you and your loved ones embody the true spirit of Jim Valvano. I don't want to say I "loved" these emails because all of them are about horrible experiences, but what I'd admired about them and what I love about each of the authors is that none of them were looking for sympathy, rather they were celebrating what they did have and were being grateful for that. It's obvious that they will never give up, never ever give up.

After this weekend, 80 percent of the players who started in ESPN.com standard fantasy football leagues will be done with their seasons, and after a weekend of highs and low and roller coasters of emotions, I hope that if the virtual ball doesn't bounce your way, you'll remember that the best part of fantasy is that you get to play at all.

So now, let's do our part. If I've blocked you on Twitter and you'd like to be unblocked, just make a donation in any amount to The V Foundation for Cancer Research. Send a copy of the receipt and your twitter handle to me at MatthewBerryTMR@gmail.com and put TWITTER in the handle. To date, I believe I have gotten everyone who's gone through the process and we've raised thousands for Jimmy V. And for those of you who haven't done anything to be blocked on Twitter, but would like a flimsy excuse to donate, please do so anyway and I'll be happy to send you a message on Twitter proclaiming your fantasy prowess or whatever you want (that I can print, of course). I don't answer fantasy questions from that email, however, so, if my rankings and this column still haven't answered your question, please use my Twitter or Facebook for that.

Let's get to it. It's the playoffs. Don't get cute. Start your studs. That's why there are fewer names this week; there shouldn't be a ton of decisions to make at this point. Thanks as always to Zach Rodgers and the entire ESPN Stats & Information gang for their help, and away we go.

[h=3]Quarterbacks I love in Week 15[/h]
Nick Foles, Eagles: An obvious name, sure, but I have him third overall this week (highest of anyone), so I thought it was worth putting him in here. Among the many reasons for optimism? Since Week 5 (when he came on for Vick), Foles has thrown 12 touchdowns on passes at least 15 yards downfield, most in the NFL, and four more than any other quarterback during that span. In fact, Foles hasn't even played the entire season, and yet, only Drew Brees has more touchdown passes of more than 15 yards this year. Bet you won't be surprised to learn that no team has allowed more deep touchdown passes than the Minnesota Vikings. Oh, and they just lost rookie Xavier Rhodes, their best corner, for a few weeks.

Philip Rivers, Chargers: Anyone think San Diego is stopping Denver from scoring? Me, either. Rivers is going to need to throw and score in this game, and throw he shall. I think he's a top-10 play this week, but if you're worried about the last time they faced (Rivers had just 12 points), I offer up two counters: Denver's defense has given up at least 20 points to quarterbacks in three of the past four games, Broncos are top 10 in most fantasy points allowed to opposing QBs and Rivers is crushing it on short passes. He's completing 76 percent on throws 10 yards or fewer downfield (best in the NFL) and no team has allowed more touchdowns on such throws than the Denver Broncos. Low-end top 10, but yeah, top 10 this week.

If you're desperate: I like anyone against Washington, but especially Matt Ryan at home with a healthy Roddy White to throw to. ... Quick, here are the points totals for two quarterbacks over their past four games: QB "A": 9, 15, 13, 16; QB "B": 14, 17, 21, 23. As pointed out to me on Twitter, "A" is Tony Romo and "B" is Ryan Tannehill. Not saying Tannehill's better, but he's outscored him in four straight weeks and faces a team that just gave up almost 400 yards to Jason Campbell. ... Speaking of Campbell, he's got Josh Gordon on his side and Chicago on the other, which bodes well. Against Cleveland's defense, the Bears won't keep the ball as long as they did against Dallas.

[h=3]Quarterbacks I hate in Week 15[/h]
Andy Dalton, Bengals: In his career against the Steelers, Dalton has averaged 193.6 yards and one touchdown a game. In those games, Dalton has averaged 9.6 fantasy points. He was OK earlier this year when they played (16 points) but given how roller coasterery he is, which is sort of a word, he makes me super nervous for a playoff game. He could easily go off. If A.J. Green burns Ike Taylor a few times for long scores, would anyone be surprised? Of course not. But on the road, in primetime, against a team that normally plays him very well? Not feeling it.
Tom Brady, Patriots: Now, I ranked him 11th in my initial rankings (before Thursday's game) so that's a respectable rank. And chances are you don't have anyone better. But, that's a lot lower than I would have had if Rob Gronkowski were playing. In the first six weeks of the season (prior to Gronk's return), Brady averaged just 246.7 passing yards (19th among qualified quarterbacks) and 1.3 touchdowns (tied for 16th). Brady averaged 13.2 fantasy points during that span. The Dolphins have allowed the fourth-fewest fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks this season, and held Brady to just six points in Week 8. Now, Brady does have Shane Vereen back, which helps a lot (he didn't have him most of the time when Gronk was out) and he is, you know, Tom Brady. Danny Amendola is there, too. But when a top-5 quarterback is ranked at 11, he makes the hate list, so that's why Tom is here.

[h=3]Running Backs I love in Week 15[/h]
Alfred Morris, Washington: I know, I know. He's been burning you. You're nervous. It's an insane situation in Washington. So I get it. But I expect them to want to take the pressure off Kirk Cousins by establishing a good ground game, and against Atlanta, that should be doable. Over the last five games, the Falcons have given up seven rushing touchdowns and the most fantasy points to opposing running backs. They give up more than 133 rushing yards a game. I'm starting Morris if I have him.

Zac Stacy, Rams: Since Week 5, the only running backs with at least 12 carries in every game: LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Frank Gore, Knowshon Moreno and ... Zac Stacy. Dude has averaged 5.4 yards per carry at home and the Saints have allowed 4.7 yards per carry this season, fourth-most in the league. He's all they have and he's as good a bet as there is to score this week. Plus, I am playing against him in the Stern Show League semifinals, so you know he's going off.

Shane Vereen, Patriots: Averaging 11 targets a game this year, including an insane 17 targets last week, Vereen will continue to see lots of work. In fact, since Week 11, only Josh Gordon and Andre Johnson have more targets in the NFL. Since the Miami pass defense is playing well recently and there's no Gronk, I expect a lot of screens and short passes to Vereen, who is the running back they trust the most. Miami is top 10 in fantasy points allowed to opposing running backs.

DeMarco Murray, Cowboys: Over the past five weeks, only the Bears have allowed more rushing yards than the Packers. And did you know, of running backs with at least 100 rushes, Murray leads the NFL in rushing yards per carry?

Pierre Thomas, Saints: So, Pierre Thomas ranks first or is tied for first in the NFL in receptions, targets, yards and touchdowns on passes thrown at or behind the line of scrimmage, right? Well, the Rams really struggle against the screen; they allow 9.4 yards per reception on throws at or behind the line of scrimmage, worst rate in the NFL.

If you're desperate: Steven Jackson has been a top-10 fantasy running back the last three weeks and no team has allowed more rushing scores than Washington. I'm so proud. First in something, baby! ... In a high-scoring game where Rivers is passing a lot, I expect Danny Woodhead to be heavily involved. ... The Texans seem to be going through the motions and they weren't all that against the run when they were trying, so Donald Brown should be a useful flex here. ... Same game, I can understand being super nervous about Ben Tate, but I do think he'll be solid against Indy and I can't see the Texans attempting almost 60 passes again. ... The way to beat the Titans is to run the ball, so both Rashard Mendenhall and Andre Ellington have flex appeal on the road. By the way, the running back with fewer than 100 rush attempts with a better yards per carry than Murray? Ellington. ... I prefer Maurice Jones-Drew to Jordan Todman this week, but whoever gets the start against the Bills will be solid.

[h=3]Running Backs I hate in Week 15

Ray Rice, Ravens: If you've made it this far, you've done so without, or in spite of, Rice. He did get 100 total yards last week and he could be okay in a PPR league, but I'm chalking what LeSean McCoy did last week up to talent and snow more than to a flaw in the Lions' front four. This is a very good run defense that will be fired up on "Monday Night Football." Rice isn't a top-20 play for me.

Chris Johnson, Titans: His carries and rushing yards have decreased for three straight weeks and, in fact, Shonn Greene has twice as many carries inside an opponents' 10-yard line. Fewer touches, getting vultured and now he faces a Cards defense allowing the fewest fantasy points to opposing running backs this year? Probably not Chris Johnson's week.

Chris Ivory, Jets: At home against Oakland is one thing, but Geno on the road at Carolina means they'll be bailing on the run game sooner than later. Can't see Ivory getting a lot of work or being that effective with it against the Panthers' No. 1-ranked run defense and No. 1-ranked scoring defense.

Bobby Rainey, Buccaneers: He'll be OK based on volume and you know I love his talent (he was a top-15 play for me last week), but the 49ers have yet to allow a 100-yard rusher this year and allow the second-fewest yards after contact this season. When Rainey has faced strong run defenses this year (Lions, Panthers) he's struggled. Don't see him as more than a flex this week.

DeAngelo Williams, Panthers: Just in case you were getting excited because Jonathan Stewart is out, don't. Not against the Jets and not with Mike Tolbert and Cam Newton there to vulture goal-line work.

<H3>Wide Receivers I love in Week 15</H3>
Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall, Bears: I don't know who Joe Haden will cover in this game and I don't care. Don't get cute. Part of the reason I ranked Jay Cutler lower than I originally ranked Josh McCown for this week is the risk that Cutler leaves the game early. That's not good for you if you have him in your lineup, but the Bears get to bring in McCown, so these two will still get theirs.

Roddy White, Falcons: "Oh, right, this is the Roddy White I drafted. About time. (grumble grumble)." "Yeah, some of us drafted Julio Jones, you know, so clam it." Tons of targets and Washington can't defend anyone.

DeSean Jackson and Riley Cooper, Eagles: See Foles, Nick. You can burn the Vikings deep. Yes, you. Personally.

Julian Edelman, Patriots: They can't all go to Vereen. Playing virtually every snap these days, Edelman has had three straight strong weeks, Tom Brady's trust and should have no issue leading the Patriots' wide receivers in targets.

If you're desperate: Over the past five weeks, only the Jaguars have allowed more receptions to opposing wide receivers than the Raiders, making Dwayne Bowe usable once again. ... As our player card notes, in the four games in which Matt Cassel has started or seen significant playing time, Greg Jennings has been targeted 33 times, resulting in 21 receptions and three touchdowns. Pretty good matchup with Philadelphia, who have allowed the most touchdowns to opposing wideouts. ... Speaking of the Eagles and that 31st-ranked pass defense, Cordarrelle Patterson leads the Vikings in targets the last five weeks and you saw last week why I've been talking about him all year. ... Since the start of Week 11, Rod Streater has nine receptions on passes traveling 15 or more yards downfield (second only to Josh Gordon during that span), and the Chiefs have allowed 10 touchdowns on deep passes, tied for the most in the league. ... It would have to be a deep league to start him during a playoff week, but man did Da'Rick Rogers look good last week.

<H3>Wide Receivers I hate in Week 15</H3>
Victor Cruz, Giants: Love his talent, of course, but over the past three weeks, Cruz has averaged fewer than six targets a game with one, count 'em, one red zone target. Bad matchup with Seattle, as no team has allowed fewer fantasy points to opposing wide receivers than the Seahawks this season. Outside my top 20.

Mike Wallace, Dolphins: I knew I shouldn't have trusted Mike Wallace! Normally a staple of the "hate list" (and I'm almost always right), I put Wallace on the "love list" last week and he promptly goes out and does nothing. He had just three for 41 the last time these two faced off and I don't see him improving on that very much. It's the playoffs, so I want as sure things as I can find and he ain't it.

Michael Floyd, Cardinals: He's banged-up, Carson Palmer is banged-up and the Titans allow the second-fewest fantasy points to opposing wide receivers. This is a very good secondary and the way you attack the Titans is by trying to run the ball.

<H3>Tight Ends I Love in Week 15

Antonio Gates, Chargers: At least 50 yards in four of the past six, I expect the game to be high-scoring. Gates is second in the NFL in tight end targets and you love the matchup against a Denver team that has allowed the most touchdowns to opposing tight ends this season.

Delanie Walker, Titans: Prior to getting hurt, Walker had become a favorite of Ryan Fitzpatrick's and, despite the egg Jared Cook laid last week (not all of it his fault), there's no better matchup for a tight end this year than the Arizona Cardinals, and that was before the injury to Tyrann Mathieu. Sneaky low-end, top-10 play this week.

Jordan Cameron, Browns: I'm not expecting a game like last week, but it was good to see Jason Campbell develop more chemistry with Cameron. Campbell actually threw two touchdowns in that game to tight ends. The Bears have allowed the third-most yards to opposing tight ends this season, so I do think Cameron will be solid.

Charles Clay, Dolphins: The tight end with the fifth most fantasy points this season? Charles Clay. Averaging 11.5 fantasy points over his last four games, this is a good matchup for him; over the past five weeks, only the aforementioned Cardinals have allowed more fantasy points to opposing tight ends than the New England Patriots.

If you're desperate: The Texans have given up four touchdowns to opposing tight ends in their last five games and I wouldn't be surprised if Coby Fleener made it five of six. ... Same game, Garrett Graham leads all tight ends in targets the last four weeks and it's not as though the Colts defense scares you. ... Jacob Tamme played the slot after Wes Welker left the game last week and I expect he'll see a lot of snaps there Thursday night. You could do worse than having Peyton Manning's slot guy against San Diego.

<H3>Tight Ends I Hate in Week 15</H3>
Dennis Pitta, Ravens: It was a nice return, and certainly he saw a lot of targets, but I feel that was more about matchup and weather. Against Detroit, they are gonna have to throw deeper. Playing a Lions team that allows the third-fewest fantasy points to opposing tight ends, I don't see a top-10 finish.

Martellus Bennett, Bears: Fewer than 50 yards in five of the past six, you're hoping for a score from Bennett. And while that's certainly possible, I hate counting on touchdown-dependent guys, which is sadly what he has become.

<H3>Defenses I love in Week 15

Kansas City Chiefs: In addition to the obvious, only two teams have allowed more special-team touchdowns than the Oakland Raiders.
Arizona Cardinals: Somehow still available in 40 percent of leagues, they have at least 14 points in four of the last six and should have no issue with Ryan Fitzpatrick. As our player card notes, Titans have 20 turnovers in the past nine games.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Over the past five weeks, no defense has scored more fantasy points than the Buccaneers. Incidentally, the Bucs have more than twice as many interceptions during that span than any other team. Not a great matchup with San Francisco, but not one that scares you, either.

If you're desperate: The Eagles have put together back to back weeks of 10 points, are playing with confidence and get the Vikings without Adrian Peterson.

<H3>Defenses I hate in Week 15:</H3>
Chicago Bears: Don't be fooled by what you saw Monday night. This is not a good defense. And the Browns are a better offense than you think.
Baltimore Ravens: On the road, Baltimore averages just 4.3 fantasy points. The Lions' offense hums at home; they average more than 31 points and 477.3 yards in home games this year. It's one thing to stop Detroit in a blizzard, it's another to do it indoors on the turf. I don't see it happening.

</H3></H3>[/h]

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Hache-If you are an espn insider could you post the rest of this article?

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/...s-top-rbs-worth-keeping-2014-fantasy-football

[h=1]Top fantasy keeper RBs for 2014[/h][h=3]Jamaal Charles leads the list of rushers to retain for next season[/h]By KC Joyner | ESPN Insider

The dearth of quality running backs and the lack of impact ball carriers in the 2014 NFL draft means the general rule in keeper leagues is to keep as many of them as possible. But what should an owner do if the team has to pick between multiple worthy running backs?
That's where this week's edition of Fantasy Foresight looks to assist. It takes a look at 21 of the top potential running back keeper selections and ranks them according to expected keeper value.
This value is based on an analysis of five areas: Fantasy production level, career wear and tear, 2014 schedule strength, carry division type and point per reception (PPR) value.
For fantasy production level and PPR value, each player is given a grade of blue (elite), green (above average), yellow (average) or red (below average). The grades are then given point values, with blue getting three points, green two points, yellow one point and red zero points.
The schedule strength grade is based on the player's 2014 run defense schedule. Those grades were then assigned point values of 0-2 points (with two points being the most favorable).
The carry division type gives two points for players who will serve "bell cow" roles on their team (meaning they are very unlikely to share the carry workload with another running back). It gives 1.5 points for running backs in lead/alternate backfields that give the bulk of the carries to the lead runner but also sporadically rotate a backup into the lineup to give the prime back some rest. One point is given to backs in platoon backfields that share the workload on a roughly 50/50 basis.
The career wear and tear grade starts with the premise that, if active backs are culled out of the equation, only 32 of 69 backs who racked up 1,500 career carries made it to the 2,000-carry level. That means once a back hits that level he is just as likely to stop producing as he is to give an owner one or two more seasons of quality numbers. Each back is listed with how many seasons of full-time use (defined as 300 carries) he has to reach the 1,500-carry mark and is assigned points based on that distance.
The points for each category are then added together and listed under the heading of total points.
Now that we have the methodology out of the way, let's take a look at the top 2014 keeper RBs:
<OFFER></OFFER>

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Charles</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->1. Jamaal Charles, Kansas City Chiefs
Production level:
Blue (three points)
Career wear/tear: 1,022 carries(1 3/5 seasons to 1.5K carries, one point)
2014 schedule strength: Average (one point)
Team carry division type: Bell cow (two points)
PPR value: Blue (three points)
Total points: 10
A healthy campaign in an Andy Reid offense has helped Charles become the leading fantasy scorer at running back this year. His carry total indicates that this could continue for the next year or two, and that makes him the best keeper candidate of this group.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Forte</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->2. Matt Forte, Chicago Bears
Production level:
Blue (three points)
Career wear/tear: 1,496 carries (zero seasons to 1.5K, zero points)
2014 schedule strength: Favorable (1.5 points)
PPR value: Blue (three points)
Total points: 9.5
Forte has been revitalized in Marc Trestman's offense. The biggest concern is that he will be past the 1,500-carry mark by season's end, so he might be a better one-year keeper candidate than a two-year keeper candidate.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Bush</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->3. Reggie Bush, Detroit Lions
Production level:
Green (two points)
Career wear/tear: 1,147 carries (1 1/6 seasons to 1.5K, one point)
2014 schedule strength: Very favorable (two points)
PPR value: Green (two points)
Total points: 9
Bush has a history of durability issues, but has racked up double-digit carries in 10 games this year. Those health woes have also had the benefit of keeping his career carry volume fairly low and thus should allow him to take advantage of the most favorable 2014 schedule of any running back in this comparison.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>McCoy</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T4. LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia Eagles
Production level:
Blue (three points)
Career wear/tear: 1,096 carries (1 1/3 seasons to 1.5K, one point)
PPR value: Yellow (one point)
Total points: 8
McCoy's value may be a bit understated, given the fits and starts that Chip Kelly's system has gone through while adjusting to the NFL. Give him a full season in an offense that doesn't have those road bumps and McCoy could end up battling for the No. 1 running back scoring spot in 2014.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Foster</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T4. Arian Foster, Houston Texans
Production level:
Green (two points)
Career wear/tear: 1,131 carries (1 2/9 seasons to 1.5K, one point)
Total points: 8
Foster came into the 2013 season in the best shape of his career, but a back injury ended his campaign early. His career wear/tear number leaves room for at least one more big workload season, but his recurring physical woes could make him the riskiest player in this group.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Lacy</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T6. Eddie Lacy, Green Bay Packers
Production level:
Green (two points)
Career wear/tear: 227 carries (4 1/4 seasons to 1.5K, two points)
PPR value: Red (zero points)
Total points: 7.5
Between his strong history in the GBYPA metric, his youth and playing in the Packers' powerful offense (at least when Aaron Rodgers is in the lineup), there is almost nothing to not like about Lacy's future prospects. The only caveat is that he won't add much value to those playing in PPR leagues.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Martin</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T6. Doug Martin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Production level:
Yellow (one point)
Career wear/tear: 446 carries (3 1/2 seasons to 1.5K, two points)
2014 schedule strength: Unfavorable (0.5 points)
Martin could rate even higher on this list if his production levels were more consistent. His variance between hot and cold fantasy numbers and an unfavorable schedule hold his keeper value back a bit, but all in all he is still a very strong prospect.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Murray</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T6. DeMarco Murray, Dallas Cowboys
Production level:
Yellow (one point)
Career wear/tear: 485 carries (3 3/8 seasons to 1.5K, two points)
Murray exemplifies the Cowboys' offense, in that he often plays a step below his potential production level. That factor, along with an unfavorable schedule, keeps his rank lower than it could be under ideal conditions.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Moreno</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T6. Knowshon Moreno, Denver Broncos
Production level:
Green (two points)
Career wear/tear: 820 carries (2 1/4 seasons to 1.5K, one point)
Team carry division type: Lead/alternate (1.5 points)
Moreno's ranking here comes with a huge caveat, as his future workload could be very dependent on how Montee Ball progresses. Having noted this, Moreno does rank sixth in the league in yards from scrimmage, and Ball has very little history of producing in the pass game, so the Denver backfield could stay as a lead/alternate carry division type in 2014.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Morris</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->10. Alfred Morris, Washington Redskins
Production level:
Green (two points)
Career wear/tear: 553 carries (3 1/6 seasons to 1.5K, two points)
Total points: 7.0
Morris is another player with a significant question mark for 2014. He is a prototypical rusher for a Mike Shanahan offense, but if Shanahan departs Washington and is replaced by a coach with a different system, Morris could quickly see his value plummet, especially since he adds next to zero value in the pass game.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Peterson</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T11. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings
Production level:
Blue (three points)
Career wear/tear: 2,022 carries (1 3/4 seasons past 1.5K, zero points)
Total points: 6.5
This ranking was easily the most surprising of the analysis. But before knocking it, take a look at the reasons for the low grade. Peterson gets top-flight points in production and workload, but has a ton of wear and tear (second most carries of the backs on this list) and doesn't add much in the passing game (only 28 receptions for 169 yards this year). In addition, his injury battles are part of the reason he did not reach the 300-carry mark in three of his first six seasons. He may be one of those rare backs who can continue to produce up to his 3,000th carry, but the recurring physical ailments mean one should seriously consider that he also might not make it to that career mark.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Bernard</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T11. Giovani Bernard, Cincinnati Bengals
Production level:
Yellow (one point)
Career wear/tear: 131 carries (4 4/7 seasons to 1.5K, two points)
Team carry division type: Platoon (one point)
Total points: 6.5
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Bernard ranks 14th among running backs in yards from scrimmage. What makes this even more impressive is Bernard has done this despite racking up a single-digit carry total in five of his first nine games. This means his upside could be tremendous if the Bengals end up moving their backfield to a lead/alternate setup with Bernard as the lead back.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Johnson</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T13. Chris Johnson, Tennessee Titans
Production level:
Green (two points)
Career wear/tear: 1,680 carries (3/5 of a season past 1.5K, zero points)
Total points: 6.0
Johnson ranks seventh in running back fantasy points this year but he has never gotten back to the heights he attained under Mike Heimerdinger's incredibly creative run play calling. The possibility of losing his bell cow status, the high career carry total and the average schedule strength all combine to cap his keeper value.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Bell</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T13. Le'Veon Bell, Pittsburgh Steelers
Production level:
Yellow (one point)
Career wear/tear: 174 carries (4 3/7 seasons to 1.5K, two points)
2014 schedule strength: Very unfavorable (zero points)
Total points: 6.0
Bell has a history of not being a breakaway running back and his 2014 schedule (the most difficult of any back in this comparison) strongly suggests that won't change. Consider him an RB2/flex candidate.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Lynch</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T15. Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks
Production level:
Blue (three points)
Career wear/tear: 1,696 carries (2/3 seasons past 1.5K, zero points)
Total points: 5.5
Lynch rates lower here than what might be expected, but he does have a lot of wear and tear, has an unfavorable schedule and doesn't add PPR value. Seattle was looking to change to more of a pass-oriented offense this past offseason, but wasn't able to do so in part because of injuries. Since the Seahawks are likely to attempt to incorporate that change again next offseason, it adds one more impediment to Lynch's keeper value.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Mathews</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T15. Ryan Mathews, San Diego Chargers
Production level:
Yellow (one point)
Career wear/tear: 771 carries (2 3/7 seasons to 1.5K, two points)
Team carry division type: Lead/alternate (1.5 points)
Mathews' total of eight double-digit fantasy point games this year shows that Philip Rivers wasn't the only player to benefit from Mike McCoy's new offense. He is on the borderline of being upgraded to bell cow status -- with 207 rush attempts in 13 games so far this year -- and if he can keep his workload level at that pace, it is possible Mathews could contend for top-10 keeper status.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Stacy</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T15. Zac Stacy, St. Louis Rams
Production level:
Yellow (one point)
Career wear/tear: 174 carries (4 3/7 seasons to 1.5K, two points)
The Rams had been searching for a bell cow back, and Stacy looks like he could be that player. Having noted this, there are concerns ranging from production levels to schedule strength and PPR value. His ceiling looks to be high, but he also has one of the lowest potential production floors in this comparison.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Gore</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T18. Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers
Production level:
Green (two points)
Career wear/tear: 2,131 carries (2 1/9 seasons past 1.5K, zero points)
Total points: 4.5
Gore is still the centerpiece of the 49ers' offense, but he has a ton of wear and tear (the highest carry total in this comparison), an unfavorable schedule and low PPR value. San Francisco has also drafted a number of running backs in recent years (LaMichael James and Marcus Lattimore chief among them) and thus could be looking to transition Gore out of his bell cow role in the near future.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Jones-Drew</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T18. Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville Jaguars
Production level:
Yellow (one point)
Career wear/tear: 1,778 carries (one season past 1.5K, zero points)
This grade is based on Jones-Drew being on the Jaguars' roster next year, but he is a free agent and could sign elsewhere. Even if he does join another club, his career carry total isn't something that will likely wear well on Jones-Drew's 5-foot-7, 210-pound frame.

<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Spiller</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T18. C.J. Spiller, Buffalo Bills
Production level:
Yellow (one point)
Career wear/tear: 537 carries (3 1/5 seasons to 1.5K, two points)
<!--INLINE MUG-->
i

<CENTER>Jackson</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->T18. Fred Jackson, Buffalo Bills
Production level:
Yellow (one point)
Career wear/tear: 1,089 carries (1 3/8 seasons to 1.5K, one point)
Jackson doesn't seem to have a lost a step, but he will turn 33 years old in February. It would not be a surprise to see this offense turn into a lead/alternate setup with Spiller as the lead in 2014. If that happens, Spiller could contend for top-10 running back keeper status, as his production level and team carry division point totals would both increase.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Instant Impressions for Week 15[/h][h=3]Jamaal Charles' record performance steals the show[/h]Christopher Harris | ESPN.com

Peyton Manning, have a seat. The front-runner for 2013's fantasy MVP is Jamaal Charles.

The truth is that Charles was already my MVP after Week 14, though it was close. In VBD terms, coming into this week Charles had a slight edge on Manning, and only a marginally bigger edge on LeSean McCoy and Matt Forte. But after Sunday's drubbing of the Oakland Raiders, J-Mail has a clear lead with two contests remaining.

In the first nine minutes of Sunday's game, Charles caught two screens, and took them both to the house. That was just an aperitif. He wound up with four TDs in the first half, becoming just the fourth player in NFL history to accomplish that feat (Priest Holmes, Randy Moss and Shaun Alexander also did it). And to top things off, Charles scored another long receiving score in the second half, becoming the 10th player in history to find the end zone five times in a game. (Gale Sayers is the only man to score six.) Charles' total damage? How about eight carries for 20 yards and a TD, to go with eight grabs for 195 yards and four TDs? Not bad, right?

It's still possible Charles could give up the MVP award if he gets hurt or plays poorly in Weeks 16 and 17 against the Indianapolis Colts and San Diego Chargers, respectively. But at the moment, he's the favorite.

Let's look at Sunday's other top storylines:

• The Chicago Bears avoided a whale of a controversy as Jay Cutler posted good enough numbers and (more importantly) led a comeback victory in place of Josh McCown. Cutler led two strong drives to begin Sunday's game, though the first ended in an end-zone pick that probably was a bit of a force. But his second interception was a dreadful overthrow to Brandon Marshall and was returned for a pick-six. Cutler persevered, though, with a terrific drive late in the second quarter that led to a short Marshall TD, and while he may have lucked out on a bomb to Alshon Jeffery in double coverge, we've all been praising the heck out of Nick Foles for such plays for weeks. The result -- 22-of-31 for 265 yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs -- is good enough. He's a fantasy starter again next week against the Philadelphia Eagles.

• In that game, Cutler will square off against Foles, who submitted another so-so performance and had huge fantasy results: 30-of-48 for 428 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT. First off, Foles was called for a stupid and unnecessary personal foul peel-block block when the Eagles went for it on fourth-and-1 and ran a double reverse on which DeSean Jackson actually scored a TD. (Weep not for Jackson, who produced 195 yards receiving.) Foles also finally got intercepted on one of his patented "throw it up for grabs" deep balls. Halfway through the fourth quarter with the Eagles losing 41-22, Foles was 23-of-38 for 301 yards, for 18 fantasy points. But in the end, he wound up with 33 points, proving once again that it's unwise to bet into a winning streak. Keep using him next week against the Bears.

• With Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhart out, undrafted second-year back Matt Asiata started for the Minnesota Vikings and took every single one of the team's running back carries. The net result was 30 carries for 51 yards, and it was as pedestrian as it sounds. Asiata is a big man (234 pounds) and is a truly slow human being with basically no lateral agility. He lucked into his first 1-yard TD after a shaky pass-interference call on Bradley Fletcher, and converted 1- and 5-yard TDs later in the game. I always assume this kind of thing should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: Even if AP and Gerhart miss next week's contest against the Cincinnati Bengals, I'd strongly advise against chasing Asiata's Week 15 result. And anyway, preliminarily, it sounds as if Peterson should return.

• Kirk Cousins joined the substitute bandwagon with a big statistical day Sunday: 29-of-45 for 381 yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs. "The Cuz" played a strong first half, hitting Pierre Garcon on a double-move for a long TD and ending the half with 248 passing yards. But he struggled with his accuracy after that, and doomed the Washington Redskins with an awful throw from his own 1 after his defense made an improbable goal-line stand. It's easy to imagine the Dallas Cowboys playing poorly on defense in Week 16, but it's also easy to imagine Cousins making a boatload of mistakes. Once again, unless I was a desperate Robert Griffin III owner, I would probably not bench my usual starter for Cousins next week.

• Shane Vereen earns fantasy goat-of-the-week honors, as he went from a sure-fire double-digit-target RB to an afterthought. The New England Patriots did nothing to get Vereen involved early; he was barely on the field until late in the first quarter, when he got two short targets. He ran the clock out at the end of the first half, and Tom Brady did seem to want to use Vereen more to begin the second half, but the two players just couldn't get on the same page. The Miami Dolphins smothered him coming out of the backfield, and he couldn't bust even single man-on-man coverage. Meanwhile, LeGarrette Blount started in the backfield again and was fine on the Pats' first series, but Stevan Ridley came in thereafter and didn't fumble, continuing a fairly useless platoon. Julian Edelman (13 catches, 139 yards, 1 TD) was Brady's most-trusted target, though Danny Amendola (10 catches, 131 yards) saw a ton of work, including a potential game-winning TD that he failed to haul in. Next week against the Baltimore Ravens, it will officially be scary to trust just about anyone in New England's offense. You probably have to roll with Edelman and (gulp) Vereen, but frankly, I don't know.

• Zac Stacy seemed to hurt his hip or lower back early in the first quarter of the St. Louis Rams' upset win over the New Orleans Saints, and missed his team's first TD. But Stacy was able to come back and dominate the game with his best Frank Gore impersonation: 27 carries for 137 yards and a vicious, rumbling 40-yard TD. Stacy was liberated after two bad matchups in a row against the San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals, and proved he's an every-week fantasy starter. You folks know I can sometimes be skeptical of rookies or unexpected performers, but not Stacy. He's so very, very legit.

• Donald Brown suffered a shoulder stinger in the first quarter Sunday after looking sharp, to the tune of five carries for 38 yards. Thus Trent Richardson got yet another crack to make a dent. Coby Fleener drew a deep pass-interference call, but of course T-Rich was stuffed on his first try from the Houston Texans' 2. Then, fortunately, he caught a shovel-pass TD. Alas, Richardson was stuck on 13 yards on 12 carries until early in the fourth quarter, when the Colts took a 25-3 lead. Thereafter T-Rich had seven more carries and 51 yards. Don't be fooled. He didn't look any better.

• Jordan Todman did his (temporary) fantasy owners right; as Maurice Jones-Drew's primary substitute, Todman had 153 yards from scrimmage, and it could've been better. On third-and-long in the second quarter of the Jaguars' loss, inside the Buffalo Bills' red zone, it was Ace Sanders lined up in the Jacksonville Jaguars' backfield and he caught a screen and took it for a TD. Early in the third quarter, Denard Robinson got a carry and exploded through the defense on his way to a 25-yard TD run, but fumbled on the Bills' 1. Todman showed that he has legit acceleration and quickness. I don't think he's a future NFL starter, but he seems to have a future as a third-down guy.

• In a dream matchup against the Bears, it was neither Chris Ogbonnaya nor Fozzy Whittaker who flashed at RB for the Cleveland Browns. Rather, Edwin Baker -- a former Chargers seventh-round pick whom the Brownies snatched off the Texans' practice squad last week -- had 12 touches from scrimmage, compared to 10 for Obie and three for Whittaker. And Baker had 84 yards from scrimmage and a two-yard TD. Cleveland has the opposite kind of matchup next week against the New York Jets, so you're probably best advised to leave Baker alone, even if Willis McGahee can't go once more.

• Meanwhile, in the same game, Josh Gordon was a complete non-factor for 59 minutes and 1 second, but like Nick Foles, his is a winning streak you just can't avoid. Down two scores with 59 seconds left in the game, Jason Campbell finally caught the Bears in a slack Cover-2 and connected with Gordon for a 43-yard score.

• The New York Giants had 54 total yards of offense in the first half against the Seattle Seahawks, as Eli Manning continued to have one of the worst seasons in NFL history. And his prospects didn't get better when Victor Cruz -- who only had two catches late in the third quarter -- landed hard on his head and had to leave with an injured knee and a concussion. For what it's worth, Jerrel Jernigan excelled out of the slot in garbage time, and probably would be the replacement if Cruz has to miss next week's game against the Detroit Lions.

<!-- start podcast -->[h=4]Fantasy Focus Football[/h]
Nate Ravitz and Matthew Berry recap Week 15 and discuss the top ten RBs for 2014.
More Podcasts »

<!-- end podcast -->• Larry Fitzgerald had a quiet six catches for 49 yards Sunday, but more worrisome was that he got lit up while trying to field the onside kick that would eventually allow the Tennessee Titans to get to overtime. We'll learn more early in the week, but it seemed like a concussion was a real possibility for him, too.

• Vernon Davis is amazing. His 52-yard TD was a true bomb shot from Colin Kaepernick, a pure fly down the middle of the field that showed his extraordinary speed. In addition, Kap got to flash his extraordinary arm on that play, something the 49ers don't allow him to do nearly enough. Those two players are just beasts, but right now Davis is the only one you can trust.

• It's bad enough that Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller are in a platoon, but now Frank Summers is involved? The Bills' nominal fullback actually got a red-zone carry as tailback, even with a lead blocker in place, and late in the game he caught a short TD for Buffalo's decisive score. (EJ Manuel also scored on a quarterback draw.) Once again, Spiller limped around because of his ankle and appeared to miss a few snaps, while Jackson led in touches 18 to 14.

• I'm not inclined to chase DeAngelo Williams' big day. He started the game looking strong, ripping off three positive runs on the Carolina Panthers' first possession Sunday, and then took a screen 72 yards to the house late in the second quarter. And really, with no Jonathan Stewart in the way, D-Willy got enough work done between the 20s for the strong Jets run defense to be impressed. But you know how this movie goes: Up 16-13 early in the fourth quarter, Williams had a pair of nice runs to get it down to New York's 3, and here came Mike Tolbert to plunge in the TD. I admit D-Willy gave you stronger results than I expected, but his role still seems so all-around contingent.

<!-- begin inline 1 --><!-- INLINE MODULE -->[h=4]ESPN Fantasy Football On The Go[/h]

<!-- END INLINE MODULE --><!-- end inline 1 -->• If you're a DeMarco Murray owner, I hope you survived the Cowboys' stupidity, because you deserved to. Murray's actual performance -- 18 carries for 134 yards and a TD -- was highlight-worthy. Unfortunately, Murray had 11 carries for 108 yards at halftime, and despite leading 26-3 at intermission, the Cowboys called 23 passes out of 29 plays in the second half. Dez Bryant was great (11 grabs, 153 yards and an incredible TD catch), but Tony Romo threw two interceptions in the last 3 minutes, and the Green Bay Packers pulled off a stunning comeback behind Eddie Lacy's huge day (24 touches, 171 yards and a TD). Cue the inevitable Jerry Jones vote of confidence for Jason Garrett.

• I can't help but feel that the Cardinals are making their games closer out of sheer stubbornness. My impression every time I watch Cardinals videotape is: "Boy, Andre Ellington is good! Hey, wait, where's Andre Ellington?" It happened again Sunday, with Ellington making plays all over the field, and Rashard Mendenhall coming in and being Rashard Mendenhall. I admit that Mendy had a couple of big runs in overtime Sunday, but my heavens, Ellington looked ready to bust it open every time he touched it. (He did miss time in OT because of a bruised thigh.) The totals: Ellington had 14 touches for 158 yards, compared to 78 yards on 22 touches for Mendenhall. This is the way it'll be for the rest of '13. Dream of next year.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Four Downs: How 'bout those rookies!
in.gif

By Eric Karabell | ESPN.com

Much of the focus in the Dallas Cowboys' staggering loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday afternoon will be on the beleaguered home team, from its turnover-prone quarterback to the odd play-calling to the defense that continues to embarrass itself. But fantasy football owners sure enjoyed the leading candidate for top rookie honors capping the comeback with a game-winning touchdown and 141 rushing yards. Packers running back Eddie Lacy topped 1,000 rushing yards for the season in the incredible win and continues to prove he's the rare rookie worth starting every week in our game, regardless of matchup.

<OFFER>Lacy, the 41st overall pick in ESPN average live drafts and 61st by the Packers this spring, provided his best fantasy game at an ideal time, during the fantasy playoffs. No, he wasn't quite Jamaal Charles (51 points!), but Lacy's 23 standard fantasy points marked the third time he passed 20, and he managed this on a sore right ankle, one which kept him from numerous practices during the week and convinced some fantasy owners to bypass him. Watching the bruising and powerful Lacy run over smaller defenders -- while also possessing the speed to escape them -- one gets the idea that durability will be an asset, and there are many more good times pending. Lacy not only suited up in a must-win outing at Dallas, but he did his best work to trigger and complete the comeback, breaking a 60-yarder on the first play of the second half and handling the football five times on the winning drive, culminating in the emphatic final score.

This offensive rookie class isn't notably deep with instant stars, and one could argue that fellow running backs Giovani Bernard of the Cincinnati Bengals, Le'Veon Bell of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Zac Stacy of the St. Louis Rams and San Diego Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen have also played similarly critical roles for fantasy owners. Stacy rushed for 133 yards, bouncing back from a 25-yard outing in Arizona last week, and he keeps providing touchdowns. Allen made his mark in Thursday's surprising win at the Denver Broncos with a pair of touchdown catches. However, Lacy is the one consistently ranked the best in the weekly flex rankings, and he's securely among the top-10 fantasy running backs this season, which is quite the feat for what many believed was simply a "passing" offense. While the Packers have struggled since losing quarterback Aaron Rodgers to injury -- although they have won consecutive one-point games -- Lacy has remained a consistent, reliable option. His touchdown Sunday was his seventh in the past nine games, and there's no end in sight with matchups looming against the Steelers and Chicago Bears.

Second down: Now, on to that amazing Jamaal Charles. Colleague Tristan H. Cockcroft reports the Kansas City Chiefs star became the ninth NFL player to score 50 or more standard fantasy points in a game since 1960 by racking up 51 points Sunday. One would assume he was active in every league, so what more can we say? Well, as of now, Charles is fantasy's No. 3 scorer for the season and the likely first overall pick in 2014 drafts, a shade ahead of the Minnesota Vikings' Adrian Peterson and Eagles' LeSean McCoy. Charles is also among the most popular players to appear on playoff rosters in ESPN standard leagues (top four teams), behind Broncos Knowshon Moreno and Peyton Manning, Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson and New Orleans Saints tight end Jimmy Graham, and ahead of Peterson, who hasn't helped anyone the past two games at the most important time.

Third down: The top running back performance in Week 15 from a player not named Jamaal entering the Sunday night game came from a Viking, but it wasn't Peterson or Toby Gerhart, who were both inactive due to injury. Instead, undrafted Utah product Matt Asiata earned the start, and while his 51 yards on 30 carries didn't excite, his three touchdowns and 24 standard fantasy points sure did. Fantasy playoffs are often littered by surprising performances, but chances are Asiata wasn't even owned in your league, let alone started. Don't make the mistake of using him in Week 16, either, as chances are good Peterson and/or Gerhart will return. As usual, many of the top running back performances in a crazy season for the position -- certainly in comparison to quarterbacks and wide receivers -- were relative surprises attained by those on fantasy benches, such as the Oakland Raiders' Rashad Jennings, Carolina Panthers' DeAngelo Williams and Arizona Cardinals' Rashard Mendenhall. That's hardly a reason to ignore the stars that got you to the playoffs, but never be afraid to think outside the proverbial box, either. For example, when it was confirmed Sunday morning that Jacksonville Jaguars starter Maurice Jones-Drew wouldn't play, it made backup Jordan Todman an appealing flex choice for deeper formats, and those owners were rewarded with 14 points. There will be more surprises in Week 16.

Fourth down: The top-rated quarterbacks didn't necessarily disappoint Sunday, but those touting a Peyton Manning, Drew Brees or Cam Newton and thinking they boasted a clear edge couldn't have been pleased to see playoff opponents taking a chance on the likes of the Chiefs' Alex Smith, Tennessee Titans' Ryan Fitzpatrick, Vikings' Matt Cassel, Packers' Matt Flynn and Washington Redskins' Kirk Cousins, each of whom outscored the season leaders. Smith threw five touchdown passes, though Charles did much of the work on four of them. Still, Smith entered the week 11th in quarterback season scoring, so those relying on him are hardly getting cute with regard to their lineups. Fitzpatrick scored 30 points and finishes up with appealing matchups against the Jaguars and Houston Texans. Cassel's performance showed that the Eagles still have considerable work to do defensively, and the Bears' Jay Cutler, who made a triumphant, victorious return Sunday, will be a valued commodity in Philly next Sunday night. Flynn showed that the Cowboys are worse than the Eagles. And Cousins, thrust into the starting role with Robert Griffin III being hermetically sealed until next September, threw for 381 yards and three scores against the unimposing Atlanta Falcons, and next week he gets the aforementioned Cowboys at home. In other words, rely on him again with relative confidence. Don't be afraid to rely on free agent quarterbacks over top scorers in the fantasy playoffs, because matchups often dictate results.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Free-agent finds for Week 16

By Christopher Harris | ESPN.com

Standard ESPN league finds

Doug Baldwin, WR, Seattle Seahawks (owned in 17.2 percent of ESPN leagues): It's Super Bowl week in fantasy football, and that means waivers probably shouldn't be the foremost thing on your mind. Conveniently, very few studs suffered injuries in Week 15, and frankly the free-agent pool is a bit brackish. But I thought it might be worth noting how involved Baldwin -- who's been a fixture in my "Deeper League Finds" for two months -- has been lately. He's got four TDs in his past six contests, but that doesn't tell the full story. He's also been a reliable source of targets as Russell Wilson's slot machine (25 of Baldwin's 36 routes in Sunday's win came out of the slot, a fairly common percentage for him). As Golden Tate has seen his reliability wane -- he caught what would've been a 29-yard TD strike Sunday but stepped out of bounds on his pass route, and also saw a first-quarter target near the New York Giants' red zone clang off his hands -- Baldwin has become a presence. It's true that when Wilson does his Fran Tarkenton thing and scrambles around looking for something deep, the target is more likely to be someone like Tate or Jermaine Kearse. That said, Wilson did miss Baldwin on a wheel route Sunday that would've led to a second TD. No Seahawks WR is a must-start, but especially in a PPR league, Baldwin probably has the most value at the moment

Kirk Cousins, QB, Washington Redskins (3.0 percent): If you're looking for someone to give you his blessing to bench your usual fantasy starter and ride with Cousins, you've got the wrong guy. I admit his numbers from Sunday -- 29-of-45 for 381 yards, three TDs, two INTs and a lost fumble -- look fine, I admit that he actually lit it up in the first half against the Atlanta Falcons (though his second-half work, except for the game's final drive, was mostly poor) and I acknowledge that the Dallas Cowboys' defense should present Cousins with a whale of an opportunity in Week 16. But it comes down to philosophy. If I'm, say, a Tom Brady owner nervous about a road matchup with the Baltimore Ravens, and I see Cousins grinning at me from the waiver wire, personally I tend not to be tempted. Tom Terrific has gotten me this far, and even with diminished weapons, he's a pretty darned good player. If he goes off on my bench while Cousins submits stats like a dude making his third NFL start, I'd have a tough time sleeping for a month. That's why Cousins isn't going to be in my top 10 QBs for the upcoming week. But if you prefer living dangerously, and don't mind the idea of it blowing up on you, I completely understand the logic behind adding, and starting, Cousins.

Tyler Eifert, TE, Cincinnati Bengals (6.0 percent): Adding Eifert is entirely contingent upon the health of Jermaine Gresham. Gresham left Sunday night's game late with a right hip injury, and as of this writing, his status for next week was unknown. Eifert and Gresham have canceled one another out all season, but if you could somehow combine them into some orange-and-black-striped monolith, they'd be sitting on 81 catches for 851 yards and five TDs. That would be fantasy's No. 5 tight end. So if you can get confirmation that Gresham won't play in Week 16 against the Minnesota Vikings, Eifert might merit top-10 consideration.

Detroit Lions Defense (8.1 percent): The Lions' D got back on track Monday night, putting its awful Snow Bowl second-half effort in the rearview mirror. Nick Fairley got back to his beastly ways against the run, and Willie Young chipped in, as well. But mostly, you want to add this D/ST because of its Week 16 matchup against the Giants. There's danger assuming that a quarterback having a terrible season will necessarily screw up when you need him to most; that's paint-by-numbers analysis and, for instance, it burned us just a couple of weeks ago when we all assumed the Oakland Raiders' D/ST would be a good start against Geno Smith. But in this case, you also get a piece of return man Jeremy Ross, who scored two special-teams TDs a couple of weeks back. Eli Manning is lost, and hopefully the Lions don't help him find himself.

Other solid waiver adds, about whom I've written in previous weeks: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Dolphins (16.8 percent); Jordan Todman, RB, Jaguars (2.3 percent); Kendall Wright, WR, Titans (46.9 percent); Michael Crabtree, WR, 49ers (25.3 percent); Rod Streater, WR, Raiders (7.3 percent); Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Vikings (9.2 percent); Brian Hartline, WR, Dolphins (41.5 percent); Delanie Walker, TE, Titans (22.6 percent); Dennis Pitta, TE, Ravens (8.5 percent); Heath Miller, TE, Steelers (16.2 percent); Timothy Wright, TE, Buccaneers (1.7 percent).

Deeper-league finds

Matt Asiata, RB, Minnesota Vikings (0.8 percent): Give Asiata credit for doing the best with what he has. In Week 15, he scored three TDs from inside the Philadelphia Eagles' 5-yard line while subbing for Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhart, though his 51 yards on 30 carries is indicative of his ability. He's a big guy with absolutely no wiggle. Even if AP and Gerhart sit out Week 16 versus the Bengals, Asiata wouldn't be a recommended standard-league start. And given that early reports have Peterson returning from his foot injury, you probably don't need to mess around with Asiata at all.

Matt Cassel, QB, Vikings (1.1 percent): We all know exactly what Cassel is: He's a backup who can inject a little life into your squad, but who'll inevitably wilt the moment you start counting on him. (His AFC analog: Ryan Fitzpatrick.) Cassel rallied the Vikes late in Week 14 against the Baltimore Ravens, and carried that effort over into a big home win Sunday over the Eagles. He even ran for a score, and his connection with Greg Jennings was sweet. But remember what I told you earlier in this column about the philosophy of inserting Kirk Cousins into your lineup for the Super Bowl? That goes quadruple for Cassel next week, on the road, against the Bengals.

Edwin Baker, RB, Cleveland Browns (0.0 percent): Norv Turner clearly sees something in this player. Turner drafted Baker in the seventh round when he was with the San Diego Chargers, and last week he picked Baker off the Houston Texans' practice squad. With Willis McGahee out Sunday because of a concussion, Baker got in the mix, playing 21 out of 61 offensive snaps compared to 36 for Chris Ogbonnaya and 10 for Fozzy Whittaker. But Baker was fortunate enough to get the call near the goal line, and scored a TD to go with his 12 touches and 84 yards. He didn't particularly make a bunch of people miss or outrun anyone, but he did that "ham-and-egger" thing of getting what was blocked and making some nifty short catches. Baker doesn't look anything like a future star, we don't know what McGahee's status is and Ogbonnaya and Whittaker are still around. You'd have to be way desperate to ride this guy next week against the New York Jets. But that doesn't mean it's not a nice story.

Andrew Quarless, TE, Green Bay Packers (1.6 percent): Again, if it's Week 3, maybe I'm more excited about Quarless, who now has back-to-back games of identical six-catch, 66-yard, one-TD stat lines. But we're in the title game here, people. All Quarless has really done is elevate himself into the bottom part of the vast tight end middle class, where week-to-week performance is mighty unpredictable. Brandon Bostick was carted off the field Sunday with a foot injury, so you'd have to believe that Quarless could be the only TE game in town in Week 16 against the Pittsburgh Steelers. But do you have the guts to start him?

Andre Caldwell, WR, Denver Broncos (0.5 percent): Wes Welker sat out last Thursday's contest with a concussion, leading to speculation (present company included) that Jacob Tamme might get some run out of the slot. In fact, Virgil Green played more than Tamme did, but Caldwell was the big winner. On a night when Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas and Eric Decker all disappointed, Caldwell grabbed a team-high six catches for 59 yards and two TDs. Welker has a chance to return against the Houston Texans on Sunday, plus it's hard to imagine Denver's more accomplished weapons getting blanked for a second straight game. But I include Caldwell here for the sake of thoroughness.

Jerrel Jernigan, WR, New York Giants (0.1 percent): Victor Cruz took a nasty tumble in Sunday's shutout loss, and early reports out of Gotham indicate he suffered a concussion and a sprained knee. It sounds like there's a chance Cruz could sit out the season's final two games. If that happens, Jernigan likely becomes Eli Manning's slot receiver, and he did catch seven passes for 67 yards Sunday, though a couple of those grabs came from Curtis Painter on a final meaningless drive. The bottom line obviously is that you'd probably rather not use any of Eli's weapons in a season in which the Giants QB could throw the most interceptions since Vinny Testaverde winged 35 in 1988.

Other solid waiver adds for deep-leaguers, about whom I've written in previous weeks: Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Titans (3.7 percent); Carson Palmer, QB, Cardinals (12.1 percent); Daniel Thomas, RB, Dolphins (7.5 percent); LeGarrette Blount, RB, Patriots (6.4 percent); Chris Ogbonnaya, RB, Browns (18.7 percent); Mike Tolbert, RB, Panthers (18.6 percent); Toby Gerhart, RB, Vikings (19.6 percent); Brandon LaFell, WR, Panthers (5.4 percent); Andre Holmes, WR, Raiders (0.4 percent); Marvin Jones, WR, Bengals (21.1 percent); Nate Burleson, WR, Lions (10.2 percent); Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Colts (5.7 percent); Jerricho Cotchery, WR, Steelers (20.9 percent); Ace Sanders, WR, Jaguars (0.4 percent).

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Consistency Ratings: Week 16

By Tristan H. Cockcroft | ESPN.com

Injuries might have been the name of the game at the tight end position this season, but at quarterback, the prevailing 2013 storyline is points, points and more points ... often from the least expected sources.

Peyton Manning might be on a straight path to the single-season record for fantasy points among quarterbacks -- he's 37 away from Aaron Rodgers' 2-year-old mark of 385 -- but it's impossible to ignore that, in Week 15, he scored a mere 17 points, fewer than Ryan Fitzpatrick (30), Matt Cassel (28), Matt Flynn (25), Ryan Tannehill (24) and Kirk Cousins (21).

All five of those players were started in fewer than 10 percent of ESPN leagues.

A week earlier, in Week 14, three of the 10 quarterbacks to score 20 or more points were in the under-10-percent-started group: Jason Campbell (29), Tannehill (23) and Geno Smith (21). A fourth, Andy Dalton (30), was started in fewer than 20 percent of ESPN leagues.

The common thread: Seven of those quarterbacks' nine opponents rank in the upper half of the league in fantasy points allowed to the position, four of them ranking among the top six. It seems that exploiting the matchups is a valid strategy during this season's fantasy playoffs ... though to bring this discussion full circle back to Manning, the studs still have a place.

The point here is that replacement levels at the quarterback position continue to rise, so those top-shelf talents are becoming less automatic, lending credence to mix-and-match strategy. For instance, the No. 15 quarterback in fantasy points this season has 209, only 15 fewer than the No. 15 quarterback scored in 2012. Granted, only 19 quarterbacks appear to have a realistic chance at 200 fantasy points in 2013 -- last season, an NFL-record 21 reached that plateau -- but the point remains: Second-tier talents can win you a week when you pick their matchups correctly.

It's something keeper-league owners, or those already eliminated from postseason contention thinking about 2014 rankings, should keep in mind. Value over replacement dictates that, once again, waiting on quarterbacks will be a viable strategy next season.

But for those still in the hunt this year, let's take a look at the final two weeks' matchups, both for the quarterback elite and those in the matchups class.

[h=3]The league's elite[/h]
Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints (at Carolina, versus Tampa Bay; 71.4 percent Consistency Rating): Normally, Brees would never be questioned by his fantasy owners, at any time of year. But with a Carolina Panthers matchup -- they are the No. 3 fantasy defense and league's No. 2 defense (going by total yards allowed) -- next up, not to mention this burgeoning home/road-split criticism of him, Brees is under the microscope this week. The Panthers have afforded opposing quarterbacks the second fewest fantasy points (10.6 per game), and using consistency standards, they've allowed only two "Starts" (top-10 weekly performance) and zero "Studs" (top-2) all season, with eight opposing starters "Stiffs" (performance outside the top 20).

As for the home/road split, there's no sense in hiding that Brees has averaged 25.5 fantasy points per game at home, compared to 18.7 on the road, since the beginning of 2011. He did, however, score 28 fantasy points against the Panthers in Week 14, by far the best performance by any quarterback opposing the Panthers in 2013. And, most importantly, consistency standards have him Start-worthy in 65.2 percent of his road games, still an extremely healthy number. He's a risky play -- for this week at least -- but couple this with his history of excellent performance against the toughest defenses and he'll be a starter in my rankings.

[h=4]CONSISTENCY RATINGS BENCHMARKS[/h]Using 2013 statistics, and fantasy points determined by ESPN's standard scoring, the charts contained in this column rate players based upon how consistently reliable they are. To familiarize you with some of the terminology:
Start: The number of times that the player's point total in a given week was worthy of having had him active in an ESPN standard league.
Stud: The number of times the player's point total ranked among the top at his position.
Stiff: The number of times the player's point total ranked among the worst at his position, making almost any waiver-wire option a smarter choice.
These are the benchmarks for what constitutes a "Start," "Stud" or "Stiff" performance, numbers identifying the player's rank at his position:
<CENTER>Start</CENTER><CENTER>Stud</CENTER><CENTER>Stiff</CENTER>
QBTop 10Top 221st+
RBTop 25Top 551st+
WRTop 25Top 551st+
TETop 10Top 221st+
KTop 10Top 221st+
D/STTop 10Top 221st+

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>
Sat: The number of times the player missed a game. Players are not charged "Stiff" points for sitting out, but it hurts their overall Consistency Rating.
%: The player's overall Consistency Rating, calculated as number of "Start" performances divided by scheduled team games.

Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos (at Houston, at Oakland; 71.4 percent Consistency Rating): He'll hit the road to face a somewhat challenging Houston Texans defense, and he's coming off his fourth-worst fantasy performance of 2013, but keep in mind that Manning will have a key element in his favor in both remaining weeks: the weather. He'll play under a retractable roof in Houston, and should enjoy temperatures near 60 degrees both weeks; there'll be no reason to cite his history of shaky performance in colder weather.

Manning's Week 17 matchup, assuming he plays the game, is one of the better ones for a quarterback besides. The Oakland Raiders have allowed the third most fantasy points to the position.

[h=3]Attractive matchups plays[/h]
Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins (versus Dallas, at New York Giants; owned in 3.0 percent of ESPN leagues): He tallied an impressive 21 fantasy points in his first start of 2013 in Week 15; that matched his output in his only start in 2012 (21, in Week 15 of that year). Now he'll face the defense that has allowed the most fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks, the Dallas Cowboys (21.4 per game). Keep in mind that the Cowboys have afforded eight Starts and three Stud efforts to the position this season; he makes a compelling case for top-10 status.

Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals (versus Minnesota, versus Baltimore; owned in 50.5 percent of ESPN leagues): No defense has allowed a greater number of quarterbacks to register a top-10 weekly fantasy point total than the Minnesota Vikings; they have allowed nine Starts and three Studs to the position this season en route to the second most fantasy points allowed to quarterbacks (21.2). Dalton, to this point in his career, has also played tightly to the schedule: He has been a Start 11 times and a Stud once in 20 career games against defenses that ranked in the upper half in terms of fantasy points allowed to quarterbacks, for a 55.0 percent Consistency Rating in those contests; he has only four Starts and one Stud in 26 games against the bottom half, for a 15.4 percent Consistency Rating.

Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens (versus New England, at Cincinnati; owned in 52.8 percent of ESPN leagues): These are key real-life games for Flacco, as his Ravens are in the running for a playoff spot, and he'll get a cozy Week 16 matchup against a New England Patriots defense that has struggled to defend opposing quarterbacks of late. In the past five weeks combined, the Patriots have afforded 21.0 fantasy points per game to the position, third worst in the league, and they've allowed back-to-back "Start" (top-10 performances) games to Jason Campbell (Week 14) and Ryan Tannehill (Week 15).

[h=3]Consistency Ratings chart[/h]
Players are initially ranked in order of their Consistency Rating, calculated as the percentage of the player's scheduled games -- not games played, scheduled games -- in which his fantasy point total registered a "Start" score. All categories are sortable both ascending and descending; just click on the headers to sort.

Players must have at least a 25.0 percent Consistency Rating in either standard scoring or PPR leagues for inclusion in the chart. All defense/special teams are included, regardless of whether they met those minimums.

These statistics are for 2013 only. Statistics for games since 2010 can be found here.

<STYLE type=text/css>.mod-inline td img {margin: 0px;}</STYLE>
Player<CENTER>Team</CENTER><CENTER>%</CENTER><CENTER>Pos</CENTER><CENTER>G</CENTER><CENTER>Start</CENTER><CENTER>Stud</CENTER><CENTER>Stiff</CENTER><CENTER>Sat</CENTER><CENTER>PPR%</CENTER>
Jamaal CharlesKC100.0%RB141470092.9%
Matt ForteChi92.9%RB141350092.9%
LeSean McCoyPhi92.9%RB141350085.7%
Eddie LacyGB78.6%RB131131178.6%
49ers D/STSF78.6%D/ST141122078.6%
Knowshon MorenoDen78.6%RB141150071.4%
DeMarco MurrayDal71.4%RB121020278.6%
Drew BreesNO71.4%QB141041071.4%
Peyton ManningDen71.4%QB141050071.4%
Demaryius ThomasDen71.4%WR141031071.4%
Marshawn LynchSea71.4%RB141040071.4%
Antonio BrownPit71.4%WR141040071.4%
Alfred MorrisWsh71.4%RB141000064.3%
Adrian PetersonMin71.4%RB131061164.3%
Fred JacksonBuf71.4%RB141010064.3%
Chris JohnsonTen71.4%RB141010064.3%
Brandon MarshallChi71.4%WR141021064.3%
Ryan MathewsSD71.4%RB141011064.3%
Frank GoreSF71.4%RB141020050.0%
Jimmy GrahamNO64.3%TE14963071.4%
Calvin JohnsonDet64.3%WR13953171.4%
A.J. GreenCin64.3%WR14922071.4%
Reggie BushDet64.3%RB12940271.4%
Le'Veon BellPit64.3%RB11900371.4%
Stephen GostkowskiNE64.3%K14932064.3%
Maurice Jones-DrewJac64.3%RB13910164.3%
Panthers D/STCar64.3%D/ST14932064.3%
Seahawks D/STSea64.3%D/ST14920064.3%
Alshon JefferyChi64.3%WR14933064.3%
Josh GordonCle64.3%WR12941264.3%
Dez BryantDal64.3%WR14942057.1%
Giovani BernardCin57.1%RB14810071.4%
Wes WelkerDen57.1%WR13803164.3%
Andre JohnsonHou57.1%WR14814064.3%
Matthew StaffordDet57.1%QB14812057.1%
Russell WilsonSea57.1%QB14813057.1%
Bengals D/STCin57.1%D/ST14823057.1%
Julius ThomasDen57.1%TE12832257.1%
Jordan CameronCle57.1%TE14826057.1%
Larry FitzgeraldAri57.1%WR14814057.1%
Jordy NelsonGB57.1%WR14811057.1%
Steven HauschkaSea57.1%K14812057.1%
Justin TuckerBal57.1%K14843057.1%
Chiefs D/STKC57.1%D/ST14843057.1%
Vernon DavisSF57.1%TE13832150.0%
Zac StacyStL57.1%RB12812242.9%
Danny WoodheadSD50.0%RB14721071.4%
Pierre ThomasNO50.0%RB14722064.3%
DeSean JacksonPhi50.0%WR14733057.1%
Andrew LuckInd50.0%QB14722050.0%
Robbie GouldChi50.0%K14702050.0%
Cardinals D/STAri50.0%D/ST14712050.0%
Charles ClayMia50.0%TE14722050.0%
Greg OlsenCar50.0%TE14703050.0%
Rams D/STStL50.0%D/ST14725050.0%
Shaun SuishamPit50.0%K14725050.0%
Alex SmithKC50.0%QB14713050.0%
Rashad JenningsOak50.0%RB13734150.0%
Blair WalshMin50.0%K14713050.0%
Phil DawsonSF50.0%K14723050.0%
DeAngelo WilliamsCar50.0%RB13710142.9%
Andre EllingtonAri50.0%RB13712142.9%
Antonio GatesSD42.9%TE14606050.0%
Torrey SmithBal42.9%WR14612050.0%
Joique BellDet42.9%RB14621050.0%
Keenan AllenSD42.9%WR13602150.0%
Julian EdelmanNE42.9%WR14626050.0%
Garrett HartleyNO42.9%K14603042.9%
Cowboys D/STDal42.9%D/ST14616042.9%
Coby FleenerInd42.9%TE14606042.9%
Cam NewtonCar42.9%QB14633042.9%
Matt PraterDen42.9%K14623042.9%
Nick FolkNYJ42.9%K14625042.9%
Nick NovakSD42.9%K14625042.9%
Saints D/STNO42.9%D/ST14603042.9%
Dan BaileyDal42.9%K14635042.9%
Browns D/STCle42.9%D/ST14603042.9%
Jay FeelyAri42.9%K14624042.9%
Jason WittenDal42.9%TE14634042.9%
Adam VinatieriInd42.9%K13643142.9%
Nick FolesPhi42.9%QB11633342.9%
Doug BaldwinSea42.9%WR14604042.9%
Mike WallaceMia42.9%WR14616042.9%
Graham GanoCar42.9%K14614042.9%
Emmanuel SandersPit42.9%WR14604042.9%
Vincent JacksonTB42.9%WR14634042.9%
Steelers D/STPit42.9%D/ST14615042.9%
Tom BradyNE42.9%QB14625042.9%
Rashard MendenhallAri42.9%RB13601135.7%
Ben TateHou42.9%RB14611035.7%
Marvin JonesCin42.9%WR14617028.6%
Pierre GarconWsh35.7%WR14522050.0%
Kendall WrightTen35.7%WR14502050.0%
Victor CruzNYG35.7%WR14524042.9%
Dwayne BoweKC35.7%WR14505042.9%
Eric DeckerDen35.7%WR14533042.9%
Tony GonzalezAtl35.7%TE14512042.9%
Julio JonesAtl35.7%WR5510935.7%
Arian FosterHou35.7%RB8511635.7%
Darren McFaddenOak35.7%RB8512635.7%
Aaron RodgersGB35.7%QB8512635.7%
Tony RomoDal35.7%QB14511035.7%
Bears D/STChi35.7%D/ST14507035.7%
Dan CarpenterBuf35.7%K14512035.7%
Philip RiversSD35.7%QB14512035.7%
Jarrett BoykinGB35.7%WR14507035.7%
Titans D/STTen35.7%D/ST14514035.7%
Raiders D/STOak35.7%D/ST14505035.7%
Robert Griffin IIIWsh35.7%QB13514135.7%
Giants D/STNYG35.7%D/ST14516035.7%
Anquan BoldinSF35.7%WR14525035.7%
Rob GronkowskiNE35.7%TE7531735.7%
Dolphins D/STMia35.7%D/ST14524035.7%
Mason CrosbyGB35.7%K14523035.7%
Sebastian JanikowskiOak35.7%K14517035.7%
Buccaneers D/STTB35.7%D/ST14524035.7%
Caleb SturgisMia35.7%K14514035.7%
Bills D/STBuf35.7%D/ST14523035.7%
Colin KaepernickSF35.7%QB14524035.7%
Colts D/STInd35.7%D/ST14516035.7%
Lions D/STDet35.7%D/ST14515035.7%
Marques ColstonNO35.7%WR13514135.7%
Ryan TannehillMia35.7%QB14501035.7%
Denarius MooreOak35.7%WR11502328.6%
Stevan RidleyNE35.7%RB12511228.6%
Eddie RoyalSD35.7%WR13516128.6%
Martellus BennettChi35.7%TE14515028.6%
Michael FloydAri35.7%WR14514028.6%
Daniel ThomasMia35.7%RB13504128.6%
BenJarvus Green-EllisCin35.7%RB14502028.6%
Terrance WilliamsDal35.7%WR14517021.4%
Rueben RandleNYG35.7%WR14517021.4%
Marlon BrownBal35.7%WR12506221.4%
James JonesGB35.7%WR12504221.4%
Brandon BoldenNE28.6%RB10404435.7%
Harry DouglasAtl28.6%WR14426035.7%
Donald BrownInd28.6%RB14414035.7%
Shane VereenNE28.6%RB6421835.7%
T.Y. HiltonInd28.6%WR14426035.7%
Delanie WalkerTen28.6%TE13414135.7%
Timothy WrightTB28.6%WR14418035.7%
Trent RichardsonInd28.6%RB14401035.7%
Doug MartinTB28.6%RB6400828.6%
Matt RyanAtl28.6%QB14403028.6%
Lamar MillerMia28.6%RB14403028.6%
Kyle RudolphMin28.6%TE8404628.6%
Mike TolbertCar28.6%RB14404028.6%
Ryan SuccopKC28.6%K14406028.6%
Patriots D/STNE28.6%D/ST14403028.6%
Golden TateSea28.6%WR14417028.6%
Mike NugentCin28.6%K14404028.6%
Broncos D/STDen28.6%D/ST14414028.6%
Ravens D/STBal28.6%D/ST14413028.6%
Greg ZuerleinStL28.6%K14414028.6%
Texans D/STHou28.6%D/ST14403028.6%
Brandon LaFellCar28.6%WR14406028.6%
C.J. SpillerBuf28.6%RB13412128.6%
Andre BrownNYG28.6%RB6401828.6%
Chargers D/STSD28.6%D/ST14404028.6%
Geno SmithNYJ28.6%QB14409028.6%
Rian LindellTB28.6%K14405028.6%
Rod StreaterOak28.6%WR14414028.6%
Chris IvoryNYJ28.6%RB13403128.6%
Andy DaltonCin28.6%QB14426028.6%
Josh ScobeeJac28.6%K14406028.6%
Eagles D/STPhi28.6%D/ST14405028.6%
Josh McCownChi28.6%QB7412728.6%
Alex HeneryPhi28.6%K14415028.6%
Ryan FitzpatrickTen28.6%QB9413528.6%
Matt BryantAtl28.6%K14403028.6%
Steven JacksonAtl28.6%RB10412428.6%
Jerricho CotcheryPit28.6%WR14414021.4%
Jermichael FinleyGB28.6%TE6412821.4%
Ted GinnCar28.6%WR14408021.4%
Garrett GrahamHou28.6%TE13417121.4%
Montee BallDen28.6%RB14404021.4%
James StarksGB28.6%RB11415321.4%
Brent CelekPhi28.6%TE14409014.3%
Cordarrelle PattersonMin28.6%WR14417014.3%
Cecil ShortsJac21.4%WR13303150.0%
Ray RiceBal21.4%RB13312150.0%
Jacquizz RodgersAtl21.4%RB14323035.7%
Steve SmithCar21.4%WR14302035.7%
Darren SprolesNO21.4%RB13322135.7%
Reggie WayneInd21.4%WR7301728.6%
Bilal PowellNYJ21.4%RB14301028.6%
Jordan ReedWsh21.4%TE9312528.6%
Riley CooperPhi21.4%WR14338028.6%
Jared CookStL21.4%TE14318028.6%
Brian HartlineMia21.4%WR14311028.6%
Packers D/STGB21.4%D/ST14315021.4%
Jets D/STNYJ21.4%D/ST14305021.4%
Falcons D/STAtl21.4%D/ST14307021.4%
Heath MillerPit14.3%TE12205228.6%
Nate WashingtonTen14.3%WR14216028.6%
Vikings D/STMin14.3%D/ST14218014.3%
Redskins D/STWsh14.3%D/ST14214014.3%
Jaguars D/STJac14.3%D/ST14207014.3%

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

Injuries might have been the name of the game at the tight end position this season, but at quarterback, the prevailing 2013 storyline is points, points and more points ... often from the least expected sources.

Peyton Manning might be on a straight path to the single-season record for fantasy points among quarterbacks -- he's 37 away from Aaron Rodgers' 2-year-old mark of 385 -- but it's impossible to ignore that, in Week 15, he scored a mere 17 points, fewer than Ryan Fitzpatrick (30), Matt Cassel (28), Matt Flynn (25), Ryan Tannehill (24) and Kirk Cousins (21).

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Requiem for hope and a lost season

By Matthew Berry | ESPN.com

I was born in Denver, and spent two years in Atlanta, but the majority of my formative years from ages 4 to 12 were spent in Richmond and Charlottesville, Va. My dad is a huge sports fan and so is his father, so it was no surprise that I was watching sports at an early age.

As an NFL fan, Jack Pardee was the first Washington coach I remember, and when he was fired in 1981, 11-year-old me desperately wanted the team to hire Bum Phillips, the colorful Houston Oilers coach who had just been let go after "Luv Ya Blue" had failed in the playoffs once again. There was no Internet back then, and we didn't have that new thing called cable TV, so I was disappointed when they hired a Chargers assistant I had never heard of named Joe Gibbs.

It would be the last time Washington would disappointt me for a long, long time.

Gibbs, of course, became one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, leading Washington to an amazing run including four Super Bowl appearances, winning three, and I was in, hook, line and sinker. I collected all their football cards, I watched every game, I read every article I could find and my most prized possessions were a Washington helmet I wore everywhere and an autographed photo of Joe Theismann. I had mailed him a fan letter, and I'll be damned if a month later or so he didn't send back a signed photo.
As often is the case, what was important to you as a child becomes really important to you when you're older. Important and beloved. And so as I moved around as a kid from city to city, my faith in the Burgundy and Yellow never wavered and continues to this day.

On Dec. 29, I will turn 44 years old. It will be both the end of the 2013 regular season, and more important, of my 39th season as a fan of Washington's football franchise.
It's the worst one I have ever experienced.

Say this for all the drama going on between Dan Snyder, Mike Shanahan, Robert Griffin III and everyone else: No one's talking about the team's nickname anymore.

I hate the whole name thing, and here's why: I don't know the right answer. The name doesn't offend me. But then again ... I'm not Native American. How on Earth can I say what is or isn't offensive to someone who is? And that's sort of my issue with the team's stance and those who defend it. Unless you are also Native American, you can't say it's not offensive. Because you don't know. I don't have an issue if they change the name. I'm also OK if they keep the name, as long as they acknowledge there are a group of people who are really bothered by this and they try to work on some sort of solution. In the meantime, out of respect for those who are offended, I've stopped calling the team by their nickname. It's a complicated issue, and I just hate that the team I love is in the middle of it.

It seems like they are always in the middle of it. For the longest time. From 1993 until now -- in other words, nearly 21 full seasons -- Washington has won 140 games. Here's the list of teams that have won fewer games the last 20 years (not including the Texans, who joined the league in 2002): the Rams, Bengals, Cardinals, Lions and Browns (and they didn't play for three years). That's it. Two decades. Five teams.

This is not a small-market team. This is team with unlimited resources. This is not a team in a place where free agents don't want to live. This is a team without any inherent challenges that other franchises face.

This is a team whose issues are entirely self-created.

I am objective enough to understand that winning is hard, that there are ebbs and flows and sometimes players, coaches and seasons are not going to pan out the way you want. I've seen three Super Bowl victories in my lifetime, and that's more than a lot of people get. And there are five fan bases worse off than us the past 21 years, so I don't want you to think this is a whiny piece about that. I don't like the losing, but I can live with it.

The part I can't live without? Hope.

They've beaten the hope out of me. As Bane says to Bruce Wayne in "The Dark Knight Rises:"
"There's a reason why this prison is the worst hell on earth ... hope. Every man who has ventured here over the centuries has looked up to the light and imagined climbing to freedom. So easy ... so simple ... and like shipwrecked men turning to sea water from uncontrollable thirst, many have died trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope ..."

I've written before about what RG III means to me and to my son, so if you've read either story, you know a big part of the appeal was hope. We finally had a franchise quarterback. After a 3-6 start in his rookie year, he led the team on an incredible run, culminating in a division title with a win over the hated Cowboys on national TV. People were talking playoffs, the future and how they were so happy they gave up all those picks to draft him. Because we had a quarterback. We had a future.
We had hope.

Griffin is not perfect. He has not played well this year. I would have liked to have seen fewer commercials and news conferences this offseason. But as he's being skewered by the press and thrown under the bus by his coaches, people are forgetting he's a 23-year-old kid just two years out of college, with no offensive line. According to Stats Inc.'s Protection Index, only six teams are worse. Only four teams have allowed more hurries and knock downs. Only three teams have more holding calls.

He's had only one decent pass catcher for the majority of the season. And the defense is atrocious. Only Matt Ryan has attempted more passes when losing than RGIII this season (346 to 340) and, of course, Ryan has played one more game than Griffin. So yeah, thanks for always putting him in a hole and making his game one-dimensional. How come no one is discussing that Washington's special teams are the worst in the history of the NFL? And I am being kind when I say that.

How about someone mention that the roster is devoid of special talent, a result of some poor drafting and the salary cap penalty. It's not RGIII's fault Washington signed Albert Haynesworth. Or that the NFL decided two years after the fact that just because it said it was an uncapped year, it didn't really mean it.

I see Shanahan's news conferences and I hear all the sniping from planted sources, and you know what I am reminded of? My kids. The three boys who like to snap at each other, tattle on each other, instigating each other and then trying the innocent face when there's retaliation. "What? What'd I do?"

John Keim wrote Wednesday, "This is the most bizarre turn of events that I think I've covered in Washington." And, "Now you have no idea where this disaster is headed."

And it's that last statement that gives me pause, because I agree with him. They have lost games this year and I have shrugged. More things come out daily and I yawn. Because I don't care. Because I am numb. I see RGIII's body knocked around like a rag doll out there, taking hit after hit (and not a lot of flags, it seems) and I feel the same way after every game. Pounding after pounding.

Because I have lost hope.

Are we stuck with this regime because Snyder doesn't want to buy out Shanahan, and Shanahan won't quit? And if something does happen, what good coach would come to this mess? What free agent would want to play here? Someone will take the money, but will it have to be so much that they can't afford the many other glaring needs? Will the job be so unattractive that, to get someone good, they need to give that person the keys to the kingdom, like they did with Shanahan? I actually think Shanahan is a good coach, I just think he's a poor talent evaluator.

I just want hope. That's the toughest part of the end of the fantasy football season. The end of hope. I always love having players going on "Monday Night Football" because I still have hope. Even if the other guy has crushed me on Sunday, even if most of my guys haven't shown up, I still have the hope of a magical night from Michael Vick or Justin Tucker or any of a number of other Monday night miracles that have unfolded over the years.

I need hope back. I need Washington to give me hope back. Because I haven't had it for a while. I really liked Chris B. Brown's article on Grantland.com about what went wrong with RGIII; Brown writes that with Griffin's young age, there is still reason for optimism. As Brown points out, "at least statistically, Griffin's 2013 season rates out better than all but two of Joe Flacco's six seasons, and that it took Eli Manning until his fifth season to have a better passer rating than the one Griffin managed this year; a year pretty much everyone declared 'awful.'"

That's the logical part of it, but hope feeds on emotion, and I was dead inside. Until I found hope in the one place it should always be: on the face of a child.

Standing in the right place at the right time before a Washington game, wearing his Griffin III No. 10 jersey, my stepson was able to get it signed by the man himself. It was just 10 seconds of Robert's life, but the smile on Connor's face lasted much, much longer than that.

There's my hope. Because I'm grumpy and cynical and been down this road too many times, I forget the innocence. Of what a simple gesture can mean. Of having a hero not disappoint. And just like Joe Theismann did for me when I was Connor's age, Robert Griffin III made a fan for life. As I'm about to start year 40 of being a Washington fan, even in the franchise's darkest hours, I remember Connor's smile and I see hope. Hope that the good days will again outweigh the bad, hope that Griffin will eventually lead the team to another Super Bowl, and hope that one day, a Washington quarterback will take 10 seconds of his life to make Connor's future son or daughter a lifelong fan and give them one of the best things you can give someone else: something to believe in.

And whether your fantasy season is over or will be soon, remember the hope. That next year will be the year you bring home the trophy. Possibly for the second time.

Before we get to the players, a little bit of house-cleaning. This is the last Love/Hate column of the season. There will be a video version of Love/Hate next week, but because of the holidays and a bunch of reasons you don't care about, this is it. We will also still have rankings and podcasts in Week 17 for those still chasing their championships, including those in the second week of finals in ESPN standard, but this is it for the column until next year. As always, please, please use my rankings when making a final decision between two players, and this column as the context for my rankings decisions. So, for one final time, a big thank you to Zach Rodgers and the mystery-solving kids in the ESPN Stats & Information van and to you, for coming back here every week. Means more than you know.

One more week ... let's keep hope alive.

[h=3]Quarterbacks I Love in Week 16[/h]
Colin Kaepernick, 49ers: You've heard the old saying. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to start his QB against the Falcons, he eats for a lifetime. Colin's played well on "Monday Night Football," for what that's worth, with five touchdowns and no interceptions in two MNF starts, but this is all about the Falcons. Giving up the fifth-most fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks, including 381 and three scores to Kirk Cousins last week. And I like the matchup even more now that Kaepernick has Michael Crabtree back to open up the passing game; I have him as a top-10 play in the last regular-season game for the 49ers at the place I call Candlestick.

Russell Wilson, Seahawks: I love this matchup for Wilson. Obviously, Wilson plays well at home and the Cardinals are banged up in the secondary. But get this: So Wilson leads the league in passing touchdowns and yards when pressured this season, right? Well, the Cardinals blitz on 48 percent of opponents' dropbacks this season, the most in the league. (Wilson threw for 198 yards and two touchdowns when the Cardinals blitzed in their previous game this season and finished with 19 points.)

Aaron Rodgers, Packers: I ranked him, so I am thinking (hoping?) he plays. Very simply, if he plays, I have no issue starting him against a Steelers team that just gave up a combined 42 points to Andy Dalton and Ryan Tannehill in the past two weeks.

Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: Same game and another good start. Forget last week; that was a poor game only due to how well (and lucky) the Steelers' special teams did. This offense is playing at a high level (Ben completed 80 percent of his passes last week) and if Rodgers is back, will need to put up points to compete. The Packers have given up seven passing touchdowns in their past three and more than 300 passing yards in two of the past three.

If you're desperate: It helps when your running back can take a dump-off pass to the house every time, but Alex Smith has at least 20 points in four of the past five and in five of the past seven. ... Over the past five weeks, no team has allowed more fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks than the Vikings, which should help Dalton have yet another good start at home. ... I'm lowest on Kirk Cousins, of course, because I know better than to expect anything against the hated Cowboys this season. Watch them have their best defensive game of the season. It would figure. (And wouldn't be a high bar to clear). As good as he looked in the first half last week is as bad as I thought he looked in the second. The Matchup is about as good as it gets and the negativity is coming from being a Washington fan, so if you feel like rolling the dice, I get it. But it's Week 16 and he's Kirk Cousins. Just know you're playing with fire.

Quarterbacks I Hate in Week 16

Tony Romo, Cowboys: Just 20 points combined the past two times he's faced Washington, and it's not as good a matchup as you think. Washington has held the past three quarterbacks it's faced to 15 points or fewer, including the red-hot Smith and Ryan in Atlanta. Some of that is because the special teams are so brutal, some of that is because the run defense is so brutal, but both things are in play here again. Romo could easily go nuts, or he could have his sixth straight game of 18 points or fewer. He'll be fine, of course, but to me he's a QB2 this week, not a no-brainer starter.

Carson Palmer, Cardinals: Very simply, I want no part of anyone on the Cardinals this week. On the road, at Seattle, against a Seahawks team that has allowed just five passing touchdowns at home all season? And he's not 100 percent healthy? No thank you.

Matt Ryan, Falcons: Sense a theme here? On the road at a 49ers team playing great defense these days (just four passing touchdowns allowed over the past four games and 14 sacks), Ryan has yet to have more than 15 points in any game on the road since the Falcons' bye week. Twelve of his 14 interceptions this year have come on the road, and I don't see that trend reversing in San Francisco.

Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins: So, this stat you probably know. No quarterback has been sacked more than Tannehill this season. This stat you might not: When under duress, Tannehill has completed only 38 percent of his passes. And I bet this one takes you by surprise: The Bills lead the league in sack rate (sacks per opponent dropbacks) this season. In fact, over the past five weeks, only the Seahawks have allowed fewer fantasy points to opposing quarterbacks than the Bills. I know he's been red-hot recently, but I think he comes back to QB2 range as opposed to the QB1 we've seen the past three weeks.

[h=3]Running Backs I Love in Week 16[/h]
Zac Stacy, Rams: Since Week 5, only Eddie Lacy has more carries than Stacy. Dude is touching the ball a ton and the Rams are averaging 142 rushing yards a game since Week 5, second most in the NFL. He scored five times in the past five games, and while it's not an ideal matchup with the Bucs, it's not a scary one, either. Tampa Bay has given up at least 93 yards rushing to running backs in four of their past five games. Not sure why I am the only one to have him as a top-10 play this week, but he is.

DeMarco Murray, Cowboys: Among the reasons I am down on Romo is that I expect another huge game from Murray. Averaging a just-silly 6.3 yards per carry since coming back in Week 9, and no team allows more rushing touchdowns than Washington.

Jordan Todman, Jaguars: This assumes Maurice Jones-Drew doesn't play, of course, but the reason is real simple. I thought he looked great last week, he's gonna touch the ball a ton and the Titans allow the third-most fantasy points to opposing running backs. They also allow the most yards after contact per rush (2.0) and the second-most rushing touchdowns (18) by running backs. Strong RB2 play with top-10 upside for the week.

Le'Veon Bell, Steelers: Maybe an obvious name, but I love this stat; as good as his rushing is, did you know that since his return in Week 4, the only running backs with more targets are Jamaal Charles, Matt Forte and Pierre Thomas? And it's an awesome matchup: over the past five weeks, only the Bears have allowed more rushing yards than the Packers.

Ryan Mathews, Chargers: Getting a ton of work (29 carries in two straight with two 100-yard games and two scores) he's facing a Raiders team that has been, shall we say, very generous to opposing running backs lately.

If you're desperate: With Daniel Thomas a little banged-up and the Bills allowing 5.1 yards per carry over the last five weeks, third most in the league, I could see Lamar Miller getting some run and doing something with the opportunity. ... With Ben Tate done for the year, Dennis Johnson will get the majority of work against a Broncos team that has allowed the fifth-most rushing yards the last five weeks. ... Montee Ball averaged 16 touches in his two games prior to the disaster against San Diego and scored double-digits in three of the last five. Houston is 24th against the run. ... If you've made it this far, it's no thanks to Ray Rice, but I will say I think he has looked better recently and you can run on New England's 31st-ranked run defense.

[h=3]Running Backs I Hate in Week 16[/h]Chris Ivory, Jets: I actually really like Ivory as a player, but when the Jets get down (and there's always a chance they will) they abandon the run and use Bilal Powell. Ivory has 12 or fewer carries in three of his last four, and it's a bad matchup, as Cleveland is giving up just 3.7 yards per carry, third fewest in the league. He's always a threat to score, but given the lack of guaranteed touches, hard to have him inside the top 20.

Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles, Saints: The key to each of these running backs is their role in the pass game, and you know that Brees has struggled when playing on the road this year. In addition, the Panthers have allowed only one touchdown reception to opposing running backs, tied for fewest in the league. Plus, they're splitting time. Not feeling it.

Steven Jackson, Falcons: Averaging just 3.3 yards per carry since his return from injury in Week 8, he's needed to score for his fantasy value. On the road at San Francisco, which allows the fewest rushing yards after contact this season, including the fewest inside its own 10-yard line, his odds of getting into the end zone aren't great.

Rashard Mendenhall and Andre Ellington, Cardinals: Insert running back timeshare on road at Seattle here.

[h=3]Wide Receivers I Love in Week 16[/h]
Pierre Garcon, Washington: With Cousins at quarterback last week, Garcon averaged 18.4 yards per reception (after averaging 11.4 with RGIII). The Cowboys are horrific. If you want a stat: They have allowed the fourth-most yards to opposing wide receivers this season. Seriously, they're bad. In fact, it's worth noting that after last week's 37-36 loss to the Packers, the Cowboys now have four losses this year when scoring at least 28 points. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that is tied for the most in a single season in NFL history. What does that have to do with fantasy? Nothing. As a Washington fan, I just enjoy pointing it out. Hmmm, maybe that's another source of hope for me -- at least Dallas isn't any good, either!

Marques Colston, Saints: Thirteen targets in consecutive weeks now, including his season-best game against the Panthers two weeks ago (nine receptions, 125 yards and two touchdowns). The biggest change has been in the red zone. Colston has been targeted eight times in the red zone the last two weeks, scoring three times. Colston had seven red zone targets the entire season prior to Week 14. Want more? During his past five games, he has 15 receptions on passes traveling more than 10 yards downfield, tied for second during that span. Meanwhile, the Panthers have allowed 30 completions on such throws since the start of Week 11, tied for fourth.

Packers wide receivers: If Rodgers is playing, I'm starting them.

Julian Edelman, Patriots: I know, I hear all the stats about how Brady struggles against the Ravens, and yes, they have a decent defense. But dude has four scores in four games and at least 101 yards in three of the last four. Since Week 12, only Josh Gordon has more targets than Edelman. I'm starting him.

Michael Crabtree, 49ers: Looks healthy to me. You know I love Kaepernick this week and that he's one of the reasons why, as his presence opens up the entire offense. Solid WR2 with upside against a Falcons team that is giving up the eighth-most passing yards, third-most receiving touchdowns and 12th-most fantasy points to opposing wide receivers.

Doug Baldwin, Seahawks: At least 60 yards in five of the last six, touchdowns in four of the past six, he's the guy Russell Wilson looks to the most. And we saw what slot receiver Kendall Wright did to the Cardinals in their first game without Tyrann Mathieu.

If you're desperate: Over the past four weeks, Emmanuel Sanders has three receiving touchdowns and has been targeted at least once in the red zone in each of those games. Only one team has allowed more touchdowns to opposing wide receivers than the Packers. ... Rod Streater now has back-to-back weeks with at least 10 targets, and over the last five weeks, Streater is one of six wide receivers with at least 50 yards in every game. The Chargers allow the third-most receptions and yards to opposing wide receivers.

[h=3]Wide Receivers I Hate in Week 16

Riley Cooper, Eagles: Four points or fewer in three of his past four, zero scores in his last four and during that span, has not caught more than 50 percent of his targets. Meanwhile, for as much as the Bears' run defense has struggled, no team has allowed fewer receptions to opposing wide receivers than them. Cooper is a boom-or-bust play this week, and I prefer safer options in a championship week.

Roddy White, Falcons: After going nuts against the Bills, White's targets, receptions and yards have been pedestrian once more. And time for another "San Francisco is really good" stat: Over the past five weeks, no team has allowed fewer touchdowns to opposing wide receivers than the 49ers.

Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals: Not convinced he plays, but even if he does, in his past four games against the Seahawks, Fitzgerald has averaged only 57.8 yards per game with no touchdowns. Seattle has allowed the fewest fantasy points to opposing wide receivers this season.

<H3>Tight Ends I Love in Week 16</H3>
Greg Olsen, Panthers: In the Panthers' last game against the Saints, Olsen set season highs in both targets (12) and receptions (eight). And over the past five weeks, Olsen leads the Panthers in targets, receptions and yards. During that span, only the Cardinals have allowed more touchdowns than the Saints to opposing tight ends.

Delanie Walker, Titans: Three scores in his past four full games, Walker is second on the team in targets by Ryan Fitzpatrick and faces a Jaguars team allowing the second-most fantasy points to opposing tight ends.

If you're desperate: The Jets are tied for the sixth-most fantasy points allowed to opposing tight ends, and Jason Campbell can't possibly play as poorly as he did last week, right? Jordan Cameron should be OK here. ... Dennis Pitta has a nice matchup as the Patriots have been among the top three in most fantasy points to opposing tight ends the past five weeks. ... Marcedes Lewis has scored in three straight. ... Zach Miller is the answer to this week's "Which tight end gets to face the Cardinals?" question.

<H3>Tight Ends I Hate in Week 16:</H3>
Coby Fleener, Colts: Held without a catch last week and now has to go to Arrowhead to play a Chiefs team allowing the fewest fantasy points to opposing tight ends this year.

Tim Wright, Buccaneers: I know, he's scored in two straight and has been pretty good, but the Rams allow the fourth-fewest fantasy points to opposing tight ends, just shut down Jimmy Graham and have allowed just two touchdowns to a tight end at home all year.
Defenses I Love in Week 16

OK, there are no actual defenses I love in Week 16 that aren't the obvious: 49ers, Seahawks and Chiefs. As people who streamed the Eagles last week will tell you, the rent-a-defense thing doesn't always work out. That said, if you're desperate and need to ... I thought the San Diego Chargers' defense looked impressive against the Broncos last week and had no issues with the Giants two weeks ago. At home to the Raiders off a long week should work out OK. ... The Cleveland Browns against Geno Smith won't be as good as you think (Jets are solid at home) but it also probably won't backfire, either. ... You could do worse than betting against Eli. The Detroit Lions at home should be solid, especially with Victor Cruz unlikely to play.

<H3>Defenses I Hate in Week 16</H3>
Pittsburgh Steelers: As I've said, I think Rodgers plays. If he doesn't, disregard this.

New England Patriots: In the Patriots' three regular-season meetings with the Ravens during the Joe Flacco era, they have averaged 0.7 fantasy points per game. New England's defense has not scored more than six fantasy points since Week 8.

And there you have it. Another season of Love/Hate is in the books. Or on the Internet. Or on the floor of your bathroom. Regardless, it's been a blast and I can't wait to do it all over again next year with you along for the ride. That's my hope.

[/h]

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Week 16 flex ranks: Trust your Bears
in.gif

By Eric Karabell | ESPN.com

Well, if you're still checking out the top 100 flex rankings entering Week 16, then I both thank and applaud you. Either you're a glutton for punishment or your fantasy team or teams still have something to play for! No matter how good a fantasy team is, it's never a given that it will make it to Week 16. But here we are, and we at ESPN Fantasy are honored to help in any way we can, in this case bringing you the penultimate flex rankings, combining the best of the running backs, wide receivers and tight ends into one tidy package.

Just be sure to keep up with the news during the week; in fact, the status of a few players were altered just while I was writing this! And best of luck in Week 16 and beyond!

<OFFER>1. Jamaal Charles, RB, Chiefs: If he gets only 20 fantasy points this week, which is his average for the season, will you be disappointed? He certainly raised the bar in Week 15!

2. LeSean McCoy, RB, Eagles: He's second behind Charles among flex-eligible options, but he's a mere 60 points back. McCoy has actually been a bit disappointing in the passing game.

3. Matt Forte, RB, Bears: A guy named Matt Asiata scored three touchdowns against Philly last week, in case you were wondering if Forte is a good play.

4. Josh Gordon, WR, Browns: How anyone can bet against this guy, regardless of quarterback, matchup and weather, is beyond me.

5. Alfred Morris, RB, Redskins: Surprise! Hey, the Cowboys can't stop anything: opposing quarterbacks, running backs or general, laughable derision.

6. A.J. Green, WR, Bengals

7. Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions: He and his "struggling" quarterback will put up big numbers against the Giants.

8. Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings: Terrific season, but he has had one fantasy point in the first two playoff weeks. A lesser name would be ripped for this.

9. Eddie Lacy, RB, Packers: Worth it even when he's not facing the Cowboys.

10. Brandon Marshall, WR, Bears

11. Alshon Jeffery, WR, Bears: Yep, each Bears wide receiver should do well Sunday night. Throw in Earl Bennett, Marty Booker and Willie Gault, too.

12. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Broncos

13. DeMarco Murray, RB, Cowboys: Could have been a really awesome fantasy game in Week 15 had he seen more second-half touches. But that story is kind of played out, eh?

14. Dez Bryant, WR, Cowboys: If leaving games early was like a fumble and cost fantasy owners points, then we'd care. Otherwise we don't. But that could change if he doesn't go off against Washington this week.

15. Marshawn Lynch, RB, Seahawks: Did just fine earlier this season against Arizona, the top team against opposing running backs, and hey, being ranked No. 15 is just fine, right?

16. DeSean Jackson, WR, Eagles

17. Antonio Brown, WR, Steelers: Terrific season for him, and he's still likely to win people leagues.

18. Ryan Mathews, RB, Chargers: Might seem like a generous rank, but the Raiders aren't exactly stopping opposing running backs, right Charles owners? Plus, Mathews actually has two more 100-yard-rushing games than Charles this season!

19. Reggie Bush, RB, Lions

20. Pierre Garcon, WR, Redskins: Doesn't need to play Dallas to be ranked this well, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

21. Demaryius Thomas, WR, Broncos

22. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans: Change from injured Case Keenum to healthy Matt Schaub sure doesn't hurt.

23. Frank Gore, RB, 49ers

24. Keenan Allen, WR, Chargers: Has outscored teammate Vincent Brown by 83 standard fantasy points, in case anyone's counting.

25. Zac Stacy, RB, Rams

26. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Steelers: Still missing a 100-yard rushing performance this season, but he's still having a solid rookie campaign.

27. Vernon Davis, TE, 49ers: Surprise again! Taking this week's matchups and recent performance into account, here's your top tight end for the week.

28. Jimmy Graham, TE, Saints

29. Vincent Jackson, WR, Buccaneers

30. Chris Johnson, RB, Titans: Four of his nine touchdowns have come in the passing game, which has saved his value, really. Needs to average 70 rushing yards in the last two games to reach 1,000. Not exactly a monster year.

31. Eric Decker, WR, Broncos

32. Jordy Nelson, WR, Packers: I called for a touchdown from him last week, and he got it! How about another one this week!

33. Giovani Bernard, RB, Bengals

34. Julian Edelman, WR, Patriots: His past month has been terrific. Not quite Gordon-like, but you have to find an active roster spot for him now.

35. Rashad Jennings, RB, Raiders: He has played himself into weekly RB2 duty. Why couldn't he have done this last season when presented with opportunity?

36. Julius Thomas, TE, Broncos

37. Wes Welker, WR, Broncos: A concussion has him questionable to play, but you need to do better than Andre Caldwell as a replacement in case he doesn't.

38. Bobby Rainey, RB, Buccaneers: Simply a matchup play, and this is actually a pretty good one against the Rams.

39. Shane Vereen, RB, Patriots: We all got Belichick-ed! He fooled everyone!

40. Jordan Todman, RB, Jaguars: Assuming Maurice Jones-Drew sits this one out, Todman should have a nice game.

41. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals: Another concussion victim, and not the friendliest matchup, either.

42. Anquan Boldin, WR, 49ers

43. Mike Wallace, WR, Dolphins: Touchdowns in three of four contests, but he's still not the top Miami wide receiver in terms of fantasy scoring this season.

44. Torrey Smith, WR, Ravens

45. Michael Crabtree, WR, 49ers: Scored 10 fantasy points last week, which incredibly topped the season totals for every San Francisco wide receiver except Boldin. Don't expect big numbers every week.

46. Fred Jackson, RB, Bills

47. Marques Colston, WR, Saints

48. Dwayne Bowe, WR, Chiefs: Charles has more receptions, receiving yards, touchdown catches and targets for the season. Hey, good for him, but that speaks to how unproductive Bowe has been.

49. Roddy White, WR, Falcons

50. Ray Rice, RB, Ravens

51. C.J. Spiller, RB, Bills: So that tempting matchup with Jacksonville last week led to a mere six fantasy points.

52. Danny Amendola, WR, Patriots

53. Riley Cooper, WR, Eagles

54. Jason Witten, TE, Cowboys

55. Andre Brown, RB, Giants: Man, this team has checked out. But they should score against the Lions. I think.

56. Brian Hartline, WR, Dolphins

57. Pierre Thomas, RB, Saints: No NFL running back has more receptions than he does, making him considerably more valuable in PPR formats.

58. Kendall Wright, WR, Titans: If he could score a few more touchdowns, we'd have a top-20 wide receiver for sure.

59. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers: Comes off his first game with more than 12 fantasy points all season. Sorry, but I can't put him in the reliable category yet.

60. Steven Jackson, RB, Falcons

61. T.Y. Hilton, WR, Colts

62. Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Cardinals: Few have probably noticed, but this guy has five touchdowns in five games. His rookie compatriot sure doesn't. Neither are great plays at Seattle.

63. Greg Jennings, WR, Vikings

64. Stevan Ridley, RB, Patriots: Only if you feel lucky … or somehow know what Belichick is thinking.

65. Chris Ivory, RB, Jets: Decent matchup, but it's tough to expect more than six or seven fantasy points from him.

66. Donald Brown, RB, Colts

67. Andre Ellington, RB, Cardinals

68. Harry Douglas, WR, Falcons: Awfully quiet the past few weeks, coinciding with Roddy White playing well. Neither is a great play in San Francisco, though.

69. Danny Woodhead, RB, Chargers

70. BenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB, Bengals

71. James Jones, WR, Packers

72. Greg Olsen, TE, Panthers

73. Lamar Miller, RB, Dolphins: Can anyone figure this guy out?

74. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Vikings: One of these weeks he'll score like 25 fantasy points.

75. Joique Bell, RB, Lions

76. Delanie Walker, TE, Titans

77. Steve Smith, WR, Panthers

78. Dennis Johnson, RB, Texans: Would seem like a big opportunity with Ben Tate sidelined, but the Broncos, the opponent this week, kind of force teams to throw when they score so many points.

79. Hakeem Nicks, WR, Giants: His next touchdown this season will actually be his first. One guy scored five touchdowns a few days ago. This fellow has zero. Think about that for a moment. It's Week 16!

80. Edwin Baker, RB, Browns: Doesn't matter if you've never heard of him, the Browns suddenly like him.

81. Trent Richardson, RB, Colts: A guy whom you've never heard of is ranked ahead of a preseason top-10 guy.

82. Golden Tate, WR, Seahawks

83. Doug Baldwin, WR, Seahawks

84. Toby Gerhart, RB, Vikings: Man, would have been nice to use him in Week 15. He could have scored three touchdowns! Now Peterson returns.

85. Darren Sproles, RB, Saints: So unproductive in standard leagues.

86. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Falcons

87. Jarrett Boykin, WR, Packers

88. Montee Ball, RB, Broncos: Began Week 15 with 456 rushing yards. Begins Week 16 with 455 rushing yards. Let's hope the number doesn't keep going down!

89. Marvin Jones, WR, Bengals

90. Rueben Randle, WR, Giants

91. Charles Clay, TE, Dolphins: Just because he scored just one fantasy point in Week 15 isn't at all indicative of future performance. Stick with him.

92. Rod Streater, WR, Raiders

93. Bernard Pierce, RB, Ravens

94. Andre Holmes, WR, Raiders

95. Denarius Moore, WR, Raiders

96. Michael Floyd, WR, Cardinals

97. Antonio Gates, TE, Chargers

98. James Starks, RB, Packers

99. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Texans

100. Ace Sanders, WR, Jaguars

Others: Marlon Brown, WR, Ravens; Darren McFadden, RB, Raiders; Mike Tolbert, RB, Panthers; Martellus Bennett, TE, Bears; Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Steelers; Jerricho Cotchery, WR, Steelers; Daniel Thomas, RB, Dolphins; Robert Woods, WR, Bills; Kendall Hunter, RB, 49ers; Nate Burleson, WR, Lions; Nate Washington, WR, Titans; Willis McGahee, RB, Browns; LeGarrette Blount, RB, Patriots; Brandon LaFell, WR, Panthers; Eddie Royal, WR, Chargers; Chris Ogbonnaya, RB, Browns.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Best, worst Week 16 matchups[/h][h=3]Kaepernick and Jennings among strong options for Championship Week[/h]By Scott Kacsmar | Football Outsiders

Those who drafted Jamaal Charles for their fantasy teams had to be thrilled when he produced 195 receiving yards and five total touchdowns (51 standard-league fantasy points) in the fantasy playoffs this past week.
Owners of Adrian Peterson likely spent the No. 1 pick in the draft on him, only to not have him on Sunday. However, if you picked up someone by the name of "Matt Asiata" and played him against the Eagles, you got 24 points. Pair that with a kicker such as Dan Bailey or Justin Tucker, and suddenly that's 47 to 48 points from the most unexpected of places.
In the fantasy playoffs, the value of the player you drafted highly in August may be no better than the guy you just picked up off the waiver wire in December.
We'll try to give you as many options as possible for Championship Week, and no, Asiata is not one of them. That was a one-time situation. Here are the best and worst fantasy matchups for Week 16:
(Note: references to defensive rankings for the pass and run are based on Football Outsiders' DVOA metric, explained here).

[h=3]Quarterbacks[/h]
Colin Kaepernick (plus-4 points)
He has picked it up in the past month, and the return of Michael Crabtree gives him three strong options at receiver. The Falcons rank 31st against the pass, and lousy defenses have not been much of a problem for Kaepernick.
<OFFER></OFFER>

<!-- begin inline 1 -->[h=4]Players With Favorable Matchups[/h]
PosTeamName+/- Fan Pts
QBSFColin Kaepernick+4
QBTENRyan Fitzpatrick+4
QBCHIJay Cutler+4
RBPITLe'Veon Bell+3
RBTENChris Johnson+3
RBBUFFred Jackson+3
RBWASAlfred Morris+2
RBOAKRashad Jennings+2
QBWASKirk Cousins+2
RBBUFC.J. Spiller+2
RBDALDeMarco Murray+1
WRSDKeenan Allen+1
WRWASPierre Garcon+1
RBSFFrank Gore+1
QBCINAndy Dalton+1
WRSFAnquan Boldin+1
QBPITBen Roethlisberger+1
RBCARDeAngelo Williams+1
WRTENKendall Wright+1
QBCLEJason Campbell+1
RBBALRay Rice+1
TESDAntonio Gates+1
TETENDelanie Walker+1
TECHIMartellus Bennett+1
RBNYJChris Ivory+1
RBCARMike Tolbert+1

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 1 -->
Ryan Fitzpatrick (plus-4 points)
Nothing says fantasy championship like Ryan Fitzpatrick, right? He has had four games with at least 20 fantasy points this season, including 30 last week and 23 against Jacksonville in Week 10. The Jaguars' 29th-ranked pass defense has been feasted on all season, so there's no point in not playing the matchup this week.
Kirk Cousins (plus-2 points)
Cousins gets the Cowboys, and their 28th-ranked pass defense, at home. It's a dream matchup for a Washington team trying to raise the trade value of its backup quarterback. In two career starts, Cousins has thrown for at least 329 yards and multiple touchdowns in each game. The Cowboys have just been destroyed by backups Josh McCown and Matt Flynn, so this looks too good to pass up. The only fears are that it's virtually a must-win game for the Cowboys since they won't know what the Eagles' outcome will be on Sunday afternoon, and there were those games where the defense shut down Nick Foles and Robert Griffin III. But the odds are this defense will not shut down Cousins.
Ryan Tannehill (minus-4 points)
He has had at least 21 fantasy points in the past three games, but Buffalo will be at home and has the No. 2 pass defense (though it ranks 18th against the run). This has the appearance of a game where Tannehill will fall back to earth and the running game may step up instead. There are better options out there, including Flynn, should he get the start for the Packers on Sunday.
[h=3]Running backs[/h]
Rashad Jennings (plus-2 points)
He has become the best fantasy start on Oakland's offense, and gets a favorable matchup against San Diego's 32nd-ranked run defense. Yes, the Chargers shut down Denver's running game, but the Raiders offer a much different matchup.

DeMarco Murray (plus-1 point)
Think the Cowboys might run the ball more this week? Murray has averaged 17.4 fantasy points in his past five games, and the Redskins allow the third-most fantasy points to running backs.

<!-- begin inline 2 -->[h=4]Players With Unfavorable Matchups[/h]
PosTeamName+/- Fan Pts
QBSEARussell Wilson-5
QBMIARyan Tannehill-4
QBATLMatt Ryan-4
QBARICarson Palmer-3
QBMINMatt Cassel-3
RBNEShane Vereen-2
RBNYGAndre Brown-2
RBNOPierre Thomas-2
QBCARCam Newton-2
RBNEStevan Ridley-2
RBDETReggie Bush-2
RBTBBobby Rainey-2
QBINDAndrew Luck-2
RBSTLZac Stacy-1
RBNODarren Sproles-1
QBBUFEJ Manuel-1
RBDETJoique Bell-1
RBARIAndre Ellington-1
RBARIRashard Mendenhall-1
RBHOUBen Tate-1
RBDENMontee Ball-1

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 2 -->Ray Rice (plus-1 point)
It has been a very rough year for Rice and Baltimore's rushing offense, but a big game against New England's 26th-ranked run defense may be the best matchup he'll get at home all year. In six career games against the Patriots, Rice has four rushing touchdowns and three 100-yard rushing games.
Shane Vereen (minus-2 points)
Unless it's a PPR league, he should be avoided this week. Baltimore would be wise to focus on Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola since that's about all New England has to offer right now on offense, so Vereen may get some uncovered catches on dump-off passes, but the Ravens allow the fourth-fewest points to running backs.
Andre Ellington and Rashard Mendenhall (minus-1 point)
Offensive production tends to plummet when teams visit Seattle. The Seahawks allow the third-fewest fantasy points to running backs and rank No. 2 against backs in the receiving game, so Ellington is not even a strong PPR play here. In the earlier meeting this season, these two backs combined for 16 carries for 25 yards and one touchdown.
[h=3]Wide receivers[/h]
Keenan Allen (plus-1 point)
Allen's first touchdown of the season came in Oakland. It's a great matchup here, and Allen has made a strong case for Offensive Rookie of the Year. And though he has caught only five balls in the past two games, four of them were touchdowns.
Kendall Wright (plus-1 point)
He has quietly had 85 catches this season, including 12 on Sunday against Arizona's No. 4 pass defense. For the same reason Fitzpatrick is a quality start this week, the Jaguars defense makes Wright a good flex option. For that matter, the Jaguars are the reason to start tight end Delanie Walker and running back Chris Johnson as well. The Titans have been moving the ball well and consistently scoring since their bye week.
[h=3]Tight ends[/h]
Antonio Gates (plus-1 point)
His three touchdowns are the fewest since his rookie season (2003), but he has 11 in 20 career games against Oakland. The Raiders rank 30th against the pass and have already allowed Foles to throw seven touchdowns and Charles to score four through the air. There's always a chance for big passing numbers against this defense.

[h=3]Elite players[/h]These are the elite fantasy players for Week 16 not listed in the above tables. You will want to start these players regardless of matchup on a weekly basis.

<!-- begin inline 3 -->[h=4]Week 16 Projections for Elite Players[/h]
PosTeamNameProjPosTeamNameProj
QBSDPhilip Rivers+5WRDENDemaryius Thomas+1
QBDENPeyton Manning+1WRCHIBrandon Marshall+1
QBDALTony Romo0WRCHIAlshon Jeffery+1
QBPHINick Foles0WRDENEric Decker+1
QBNETom Brady-1WRPITAntonio Brown+1
QBDETMatthew Stafford-2WRCLEJosh Gordon+1
QBNODrew Brees-5WRCINA.J. Green+1
RBPHILeSean McCoy+4WRHOUAndre Johnson0
RBKCJamaal Charles+2WRPHIDeSean Jackson0
RBGBEddie Lacy0WRDALDez Bryant0
RBCHIMatt Forte0WRDETCalvin Johnson0
RBDENKnowshon Moreno-2TESFVernon Davis+1
RBMINAdrian Peterson-2TEDENJulius Thomas+1
RBSEAMarshawn Lynch-3TENOJimmy Graham-1

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 3 -->It's a "Lower Your Expectations" pick for Drew Brees and Jimmy Graham in Carolina (No. 5 pass defense) this week. By now, everyone knows the Saints are not quite as sharp on the road, though it's hard to imagine things could be any worse than they were last week in St. Louis.
Tom Brady had more success than expected in Miami, but the Ravens (No. 10 pass defense) always make things tough on him. He has eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions in eight career meetings with Baltimore. He has never had more than two touchdown passes and has at least two interceptions in four of the past five meetings.
Finally, a name not listed anywhere above is Aaron Rodgers. If he's cleared to play this week, start him on your fantasy team. He's obviously one of the best players in the league, he's at home and the Steelers (No. 18 pass defense) are vulnerable to big plays, especially when playing top quarterbacks.
If you have made it this far with an injured Rodgers on your roster, consider it a reward for patience to be able to start him during Championship Week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giaoduc783
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com