Cnotes MLB 2019 Spring Traning News Notes and Rumors !

Search

Tokens
Taillon named Pirates' opening-day starter
February 16, 2019
By The Associated Press

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) Jameson Taillon will be the Pittsburgh Pirates' opening-day starter.

The right-hander will pitch March 28 against the Reds at Cincinnati, manager Clint Hurdle said Saturday. It will be the first opening-day start of Taillon's four-year career.

Taillon was 14-10 with a 3.20 ERA in 32 starts last season.

''It's a big honor to kick off the season for the boys, try to set the tone,'' Taillon said at the Pirates' spring training camp. ''Obviously, I care about the body of work but it's a big honor. Growing up as a fan of baseball, there was a certain (aura) about being the opening-day starter.''

Chris Archer will start the home opener April 1 against the St. Louis Cardinals.

''We put two men in play to represent the club and get us out of the blocks well in the first four games of the season,'' Hurdle said.

Trevor Williams and Joe Musgrove will pitch the second and third games at Cincinnati. The Pirates are undecided on a fifth starter.

Tokens
Sabathia to end career after 2019 season
February 16, 2019
By The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) CC Sabathia can envision the perfect ending to his final big league season.

''Right now I'm just focused on trying to win the championship and have a parade at the end of the year,'' Sabathia said Saturday. ''That would be a great way to top this thing off.''

The 38-year-old Sabathia agreed in early November to an $8 million one-year contract and said 2019 will be his last season.

Sabathia had a stent inserted after a blockage was found in an artery from his heart in December. He has had chronic right knee problem that has required several operations.

''Why now? It's time,'' Sabathia said with a laugh. ''My knee, just the shape that it's in. My family is getting older. It's time for me to be with them and be around them.''

When asked about his dad being home more, son Carter replied, ''I know it will be two times funnier in the house because you're funny and mom's funny.''

Pitchers and catchers at Yankees spring training camp, and some position players taking part in early workouts were in attendance at Steinbrenner Field for Sabathia's remarks.

''All I ever wanted for people to remember me as was just a good teammate,'' Sabathia said. ''It's been a great ride. Just so many countless different memories that I'll have. It's priceless, it's been great.''

Managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner and vice chairperson Jennifer Steinbrenner Swindal, who hugged Sabathia and took a photo of him and his family, were also present.

''He's special,'' Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. ''He's a fan favorite. He's a (Steinbrenner) family favorite. I think CC has done everything and anything he possibly could in terms of leadership and performance.''

Hal Steinbrenner said he hasn't given any thought about retiring Sabathia's No. 52 because ''he still has baseball to play.''

The 2007 AL Cy Young Award winner with Cleveland, Sabathia is 246-153 with a 3.70 ERA and 2,986 strikeouts in 18 major league seasons. He was 9-7 with a 3.65 ERA in 29 starts last season. This will be his 11th year with the Yankees.

''I think he's a Hall of Famer and I think he will get in,'' Yankees manager Aaron Boone, a former teammate of Sabathia said. ''Eighteen years in and still a really good pitcher in this league.''

Sabathia has no interest in coaching or being a manager, but would like to return as a guest spring training instructor.

''It's been an honor to watch him play and I'm excited to see what he'll take on next,'' Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James said in a statement. ''Congrats my friend.''

As part of his farewell season, Sabathia will be hosting 52 kids from a local Boys and Girls Clubs at the first game of the final road series in all AL cities. He will also do that at the National League park in San Francisco.

SEVERINO SIGNING

Expected opening-day starter Luis Severino said his $40 million, four-year deal reached Friday to avoid an arbitration hearing came about so quickly his mother didn't have time to come to Tampa from the Dominican Republic for a Saturday news conference.

Severino had been scheduled for a hearing in which he requested $5.25 million and the Yankees countered at $4.4 million.

''She called me and said `what happened, you win?''' a smiling Severino said. ''I said, `No I didn't win but I got $40 million. And she said `that's more than $5 million.'''

Severino's deal includes a team option for 2023 that could make the agreement worth $52.25 million for five seasons.

By agreeing to a long-term contract with a $10 million average annual value, New York raised its projected luxury tax payroll to about $225 million, well above the $206 million threshold.

''We have to manage our payroll in the present as well as the future,'' Cashman said. ''There's going to be paydays coming along and we have to prepare for those. So this was an example of that.''

ELLSBURY

Cashman said outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, who didn't play last season due to a number of injuries, will probably not be ready for opening day after experiencing plantar fasciitis during his rehab program following hip surgery.

Ellsbury has received a cortisone ejection and is not running. He won't arrive at camp until at least mid-to-late March.

HARPER AND MACHADO

Cashman had nothing to say about free agents Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. But he added when it comes to possibly adding major or minor leaguers that the Yankees are ''never a finished product'' and ''always open for business.''

Tokens
Romo feels young on rebuilding Marlins
February 16, 2019
By The Associated Press

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) Veteran reliever Sergio Romo believes Miami's rebuilt roster can become his fountain of youth.

''I think the youth here gives me energy, gives me confidence that I can still play because I'm with them every day,'' Romo said. ''Yesterday we were running and, yeah, they beat me, but they didn't beat me by much.''

Miami bucked the trend of clubs filling bullpens with fireballing relievers by signing the 35-year-old right-hander and his 85-mph fastball to a one-year, $2.5 million contract on Friday. Romo employs an array of curves and sliders to set up a fastball that arrives at the plate at the same speed as many major leaguers' change-ups.

''It's 85, but it's coming hot,'' said Romo, who will become the second-oldest Marlin should 37-year-old Curtis Granderson make the club out of spring training.

Romo saved 84 games for San Francisco from 2008 to 2016, winning three World Series rings. After a year with the Dodgers, he spent the past two seasons with Tampa Bay, recording 25 saves for the Rays last season.

The Marlins, Braves and Mets were among the teams that scouted Romo during the offseason in the Mexican winter league.

''This is one of the teams where I said, `Man, I kind of fit there,''' Romo said of the Marlins. ''If they gave me a shot I think I can do some pretty cool things there.''

Brad Ziegler and Kyle Barraclough led Miami with 10 saves apiece last season. The Marlins traded the now-retired Ziegler to Arizona near last year's trading deadline, and traded Barraclough to Washington in October.

Romo joins righty Drew Steckenrider (five saves in 2018) and lefty Ed Conley (three saves last season) as options to close games for Miami.

''I don't think we have that one guy,'' Marlins manager Don Mattingly said. ''We don't have the Kenley Jansen, the guy that would profile as the guy, so I think we have to put these guys in the best situation to get three outs.''

Mattingly would prefer not to jump on the trend of using a reliever as an ''opener'' for games, electing instead to continue the development of the Marlins' young staff, though Romo said he discussed that topic with the club before he signed.

Romo, who started five games last season for the Rays, called the prospect or reprising his opener role ''intriguing.''

''When it comes to the whole staring bit, I don't know if I can throw five innings every fifth day - at the minimum five innings every fifth day,'' Romo said. ''I do know as an opener I can throw you five innings in five days - that type of stuff.''

Tokens
RP John Axford, Blue Jays complete deal
February 16, 2019
By The Associated Press

DUNDEIN, Fla. (AP) Reliever John Axford and the Toronto Blue Jays have completed a minor league contract.

If added to the 40-man roster, the 35-year-old right-hander would get a one-year contract with a $1.65 million salary while in the major leagues. In the deal, announced Saturday by Toronto, he would have the chance to earn $1.7 million in performance bonuses based on games.

Axford was 4-1 with a 4.41 ERA in 45 appearances for Toronto last year, striking out 50 and walking 20 in 51 innings.

He was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers on July 31, gave up six runs against Houston in his Dodgers debut on Aug. 4, then broke his right leg eight days later when hit by a comebacker against Colorado. He returned Sept. 17, made just one more appearance and did not appear in the postseason.

A veteran of 10 major league seasons, Axford also has pitched for Milwaukee (2009-13), St. Louis (2013), Cleveland (2014), Pittsburgh (2014), Colorado (2015) and Oakland (2016-17

Tokens
Cards being cautious with Ozuna's shoulder
February 16, 2019
By The Associated Press

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) St. Louis Cardinals left fielder Marcel Ozuna will be on a limited throwing program to start the spring but is expected to be ready for opening day, manager Mike Shildt said Saturday.

Ozuna underwent offseason shoulder surgery and is still in the rehabilitation process.

''Just making sure that he's being stretched out, healthy and moving forward,'' Shildt said. ''But his program has been nothing but positive feedback, has been great, and he's feeling good.''

St. Louis acquired Ozuna in a trade with Miami before the 2018 season. He had 37 homers and 124 RBIs in 2017. Hampered by a lingering shoulder injury, Ozuna hit .280 with 23 homers and 88 RBIs for St. Louis last season.

Ozuna will serve mostly as a designated hitter once Grapefruit League play begins. He'll be eased back into left field as the spring schedule progresses.

Shildt isn't at all worried that the slugger won't be ready when the Cardinals open the season at Milwaukee on March 28.

''Hasn't caused me (to lose) a wink of sleep,'' Shildt said.

St. Louis is showing similar caution with catcher Yadier Molina, who underwent offseason knee surgery. Molina isn't catching bullpens and probably won't appear behind the plate until a couple weeks into Grapefruit League play.

Like Ozuna, Molina will likely DH for the first few weeks of spring games.

Tokens
Sunday’s 6-pack

Odds to win the Big East basketball tournament next month:

3-2— Villanova

11-4— Marquette

9-2— St John’s

8-1— Butler, Creighton

15-1— Georgetown, Seton Hall

20-1— Providence

30-1— DePaul, Xavier

Quote of the Day
“Matt, his entire family and team have never been anything but generous, inclusive, respectful, and complimentary of me and the job I do for him.I wouldn’t work for someone I didn’t respect, or who didn’t value my opinion. To crucify for one mistake feels wrong..”
John Wood, Matt Kuchar’s regular caddy

Sunday’s quiz
Gonzaga has the nation’s longest current win streak, 15 in a row; who is 2nd?

Saturday’s quiz
William Henry Harrison was president for a month before he passed away, the shortest length of time of any president.

Friday’s quiz
Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 NBA Draft; Hakeem Olajuwon was the #1 pick. Sam Bowie was the #2 pick.

Sunday’s List of 13: Wrapping up a sports Saturday

13) 12-2pm:
— Louisville 56, Clemson 55— Cardinals came damn close to blowing a 7-point lead in last 0:15 of the game; they had to block a 5-footer with 0:02 left to preserve the win.
— North Carolina 95, Wake Forest 57— Tar Heels led this game, 32-7. Oy.
— Georgia 64, Vanderbilt 53— Bryce Drew is a good coach, but Vandy is 0-12 in the SEC.

12) 2-4pm:
— Minnesota 84, Indiana 63— On Jan 5, Hoosiers were 12-3; now, they’re 13-12.
— Virginia 60, Notre Dame 54— Red flag for the Cavaliers; they easily could’ve lost this.
— Fordham 66, Rhode Island 63, OT— URI lost five of last six games, after an 11-7 start.

11) 4-6pm:
— Iowa State 78, Kansas State 64— Wildcats lost big guy Dean Wade with an ankle injury.
— Texas State 67, Ark-Little Rock 60— Bobcats lead Sun Belt by a game over Georgia State.
— VCU 69, Dayton 68— Rams led by 22 early in 2nd half, needed layup with 0:06 left for the win.

10) 6-8pm:
— South Dakota State 78, North Dakota State 77— Jackrabbits banked in a 40-footer at the buzzer for the win.
— Temple 70, South Florida 69, OT— Owls improve to 18-7, 8-4 in the AAC.
— Iowa 71. Rutgers 69— Hawkeyes banked in a 3-ball from the corner (hard to do) with 0:00.2 left for the road win.

9) 8-10 pm:
— Kentucky 86, Tennessee 69— Wildcats scored first 14 points of the second half.
— Mississippi State 77, Arkansas 67— Bulldogs suspended Nick Weatherspoon, then got a solid road win. Go figure.
— Washington 72, Washington State 70— Coogs led by 14 at one point, didn’t play well in last 3:00, but they’re getting better.

8) 10pm-midnight
— Oregon State 72, Oregon 57— Beavers sweep Civil War for first time in nine years.
— Gonzaga 79, San Diego 67— Bulldogs won their 30th consecutive WCC road game.
— Stanford 104, UCLA 80— Game was delayed for a while by a broken rim, with score 49-40; Bruins seemed disinterested when game resumed.

7) Upsets of the Day
— Fordham (+10) 66, Rhode Island 63
— NC-Wilmington (+10) 87, Hofstra 79
— UAB (+7) 68, Western Kentucky 60
— SE Missouri State (+7) 88, Eastern Illinois 79
— Xavier (+6) 75, Providence 61
— Oklahoma (+5.5) 71, TCU 62
— Western Michigan (+5.5) 84, Miami OH 79, OT

6) Have to stay away from wagering on Baylor games, because of Makai Mason’s health issues; he is a damn good player, but his feet are so brittle that he missed two of their last three games, after playing in only one game the last two years. With Mason in the lineup, Baylor can beat anyone; without him and without a couple other injured Bears, not so much.

5) If I had Bryce Harper or Manny Machado on my fantasy team, I’d be very annoyed right about now; make a decision already!!! Doubt the offers are going to get any higher at this point.

Also has to be screwing around with betting totals in Las Vegas on props regarding home runs over/unders and team wins over/unders, not to mention just fouling up the players’ actual preparation for the season. This is abnormal.

4) 5-foot-9 Chris Clemons of the Campbell Camels went over 3,000 career points Saturday, which is really hard to do. He is only the 9th D-I player ever to score 3,000 points.

If you want to scoff at Clemons, the Big South and the Camels, keep in mind that they played at Georgetown November 24, and Clemons scored 45 points, going 9-19 on the arc, in a 93-85 loss to the Hoyas. Campbell is 15-11 this season, 8-4 in the Big South.

3) When Alabama’s football team starts practice this spring, they’ll have seven new assistant coaches, which is very unusual. There were murmurs last season that Alabama’s staff was the weakest they had in the Nick Saban era; 7 of LY’s 10 assistants have moved on.

2) Nevada 82, Wyoming 49— Wolf Pack is thought to be the first D-I team ever where all five starters transferred into that school. Five 5th-year starters for Eric Musselman.

1) Wild year in the MAAC; with five games left in regular season, Canisius leads by a half-game at 9-4; three teams have five losses, two more have six. Highest-ranked team in the league is Rider, which is 8-6 in the league but is ranked only #216 (out of 353) by KenPom.

Tokens
Khris Davis would like to stay with A's
February 17, 2019
By The Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. (AP) Major league home run leader Khris Davis would like a long-term deal from the Oakland Athletics that allows him to stay with the franchise for at least three more seasons.

Davis says desire for a multiyear contract won't consume as he prepares to open the season in Japan next month against the Seattle Mariners. He hopes to dazzle Japanese fans by hitting at least one home run.

''Whatever works best for the organization,'' Davis told The Associated Press on Sunday. ''For me personally, I just want to focus on this year. I don't like to get ahead of myself or look back in the past and play in the past. I just try to focus on the now. Whatever comes long-term is going to come. If they want me here long-term they're going to get something done.''

Oakland general manager David Forst has said signing Davis long-term is a top priority. The team spent the offseason putting pieces around the star outfielder and designated hitter to try to build another consistent contender.

Led by Davis' 48 home runs and career-high 123 RBIs, the 97-win A's returned to the playoffs for the first time in four years before losing the AL wild card game to the New York Yankees.

The slugger joked about the fact he has hit .247 for each of the past four seasons. He received a $6 million raise this offseason to $16.5 million.

''I'd like to be here. I hope something gets done,'' Davis said. ''It's not a good thing being a free agent right now. For my security, it's going to impact a lot. That's the way the business is. I'm already 31 so I don't know if I'm too old. There's a lot of things that run through my head. Who knows. If it happens, it happens.''

Manager Bob Melvin had some encouraging things to say in Saturday's team meeting, and Davis said ''it made me feel a little more secure.''

''Shoot, I want to stay here at least three more years, but that's a long time to be an Oakland A. But if anybody can do it, I guess it's me, hopefully,'' Davis said. ''I don't think they'll trade me as long as we're doing good. So we better do good so I don't get traded.''

Melvin is counting on that, too.

''He's been as good a fit here as some of the great players in the past here,'' Melvin said. ''I kind of alluded since the day he got here he seems like the perfect fit for our city, for our team, the attitude he has as a superstar that has an everyday workmanlike mentality, doesn't want the spotlight, so that's kind of what I was implying. I mean what I said, he's been absolutely terrific for us.''

Davis and Jimmie Foxx from 1932-34 are the only players in Athletics history with three straight 40-homer seasons. Davis hit 85 homers in 2017 and '18, second in than span to Giancarlo Stanton's 86.

Davis did reflect on his 2018 accomplishments at the end of the season.

''Now I'm kind of like over it,'' he said.

Davis stuck with his regular offseason routine and has determined certain numbers he would like to reach this season.

''Why would I change anything up? Come on, I'm at the top of my game right now. I wouldn't change that up,'' he said, noting of the high expectations: ''It's a great thing. I like it. I did it to myself. I'm the only one that can hit .247 for four years. I pretty much have that force field around me.''

Melvin typically steers clear of getting involved or discussing player contract situations.

''My concern would be that we're down to the last year with him and the potential of losing him would come up next year,'' Melvin said, ''and I hope that's not the case.''

Tokens
Mets' Cano says he feels 25 as he reports
February 17, 2019
By The Associated Press

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) New York Mets infielder Robinson Cano had a youthful perspective after reporting to spring training.

''I feel like I'm 25,'' the 36-year-old All-Star second baseman said Sunday, a day ahead of the team's first full-squad workout.

Cano took a physical and held a news conference. He took over the spot in the clubhouse that used to belong to Mets captain David Wright, who retired because of neck and back injuries.

''First of all, nobody's going to replace David Wright,'' Cano said. ''David Wright is the organization. We all know what he did through the years. I feel special that I get to have his locker. This is a game that you play as a team. I'm going to go out and do my best and give it everything I've got, yes I will. But I don't like to pressure myself and go out and be that guy.''

Cano was acquired Dec. 3 from Seattle along with All-Star closer Edwin Diaz, the first big move made by new general manager Brodie Van Wagenen - Cano's former agent.

''He said he was going to go out and build a team that could go out and compete. He has a lot of good pieces, and this team looks really good,'' Cano said.

Cano hit .303 with 10 home runs and an .845 OPS last season, though he was banned for 80 games for violating baseball's drug agreement. Cano tested positive for Furosemide, a diuretic that can be used to mask performance-enhancing drugs.

The eight-time All-Star is expected to be the regular second baseman, causing the Mets to shift 26-year-old Jeff McNeil to a utility role that could include time in left field. McNeil hit.329 in 63 games for the Mets last season.

Cano has played 14 games at first base during his 14-year big league career.

''I haven't thought about that yet,'' Cano said of possible time at first.

Having spent nine years in New York with the Yankees, Cano had some advice for the 24-year-old Diaz about playing in the Big Apple and tuning out media and talk-radio.

''He's a young kid. It's different, especially when you come through the system with Seattle - you don't deal with a lot of media,'' Cano said. ''I told him just to go out and don't let the big city get into your head. Go out, compete, and have fun . knowing you're human and not perfect. It's the same game in a different city. Don't focus on the city.''

Cano left the Yankees after the 2013 to sign a $240 million, 10-year contract with the Mariners that pays $24 million annually. As part of the trade, Seattle sent the Mets $5 million on Dec. 21 and will send New York $3.75 million on Dec. 1 in each of the next four years.

Cano wondered about the current free-agent market.

''It's hard when you, as a player, go out and put out the effort in the offseason and put up numbers, and you're just waiting to be able to get a deal. You deserve a deal, you put up the numbers, you're young and you have the talent and not able to get a deal. Baseball is going to a different direction right now because there are a lot of guys out there who don't have a job.''

Top players such as Bryce Harper and Manny Machado have not reached agreements.

''I'm surprised. I would say every baseball player is in shock,'' Cano said. ''Machado and Harper are young guys who've been in this league and put up numbers. Machado played in the World Series last year, Harper won an MVP before. I thought by this time they would already be signed.''

Tokens
B]Pujols predicts he'll play every day at 39
February 17, 2019
By The Associated Press
[/B]

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) Albert Pujols has a bold if unrealistic prediction for his 2019 season.

''I'm expecting to play 162 games,'' the Los Angeles Angels first baseman said Sunday. ''One hundred ninety games I'm going to play this year, including spring training.''

A month past his 39th birthday, Pujols is an 18-year big league veteran, 10-time All-Star and three-time MVP.

''He will not be playing 190, I promise you that,'' new Angels manager Brad Ausmus said.

Pujols had knee surgery last August. He appeared in 117 games and had 465 at-bats, his fewest since 2013, while hitting .245 with 19 home runs and 64 RBIs.

Because the surgery was in the summer, he was able to have a normal offseason.

''If he's playing well, he's going to play, it's as simple as that,'' Ausmus said. ''The important thing about spring training is making sure he's healthy going into the season. We certainly don't want to overload him here and have an issue in April and May. It's going to evolve as we go. We'll certainly be cautious out of the gate.''

Pujols is expected to play first base and see time at designated hitter until two-way player Shohei Ohtani is given the go-ahead to hit in games following Tommy John surgery.

After batting .328 and hitting 445 home runs over 11 seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals, Pujols has a .260 average and 188 homers in seven years with the Angels.

''My job is to be healthy and help this ballclub to win a championship,'' Pujols said. ''I don't think I need to show anybody. I know what I can do when I'm healthy and that's what I try to do. My main focus is to help this ballclub win a championship. This is not about me.''

Pujols does know Ausmus well from his own playing days.

''I have a lot of respect for how Albert plays the game, not only the talent perspective but he played the game the right way - just how he carries himself on the field, the work ethic, all of that,'' Ausmus said. ''He does a lot of things right.''

Tokens
Ohtani hopes to hit off tee next week
February 17, 2019
By The Associated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) Shohei Ohtani hopes to hit off a tee next week for the first time since Tommy John surgery.

''That's the thought, but I'm not trying to rush myself,'' the two-way Los Angeles Angels star said through an interpreter Sunday.

The AL Rookie of the Year had surgery Oct. 1 to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament, and the Angels think the earliest he could be ready to hit in games is in May. The 24-year-old hopes to start the pitching phase of his rehabilitation at the end of spring training.

''So far, things are going as planned,'' Ohtani said. ''No problems at all. But maybe once I start throwing, maybe I'll start having some issues. But as of now, everything has been going well.''

Ohtani went 4-2 with a 3.31 ERA in 10 starts as a pitcher. He played 104 games overall as a rookie, hitting .285 with 22 homers and 61 RBIs.

''Physically, he's a once in a lifetime type talent,'' new Angels manager Brad Ausmus said. ''Now if we can get him back to where he was at the start of last year, it'd be perfect. The fans love to watch him, we love to have him in a uniform.''

What has Ausmus learned about Ohtani so far?

''I can say this, he's intense for sure,'' Ausmus said. ''He seems to have a good sense of humor but when it comes to baseball, it's almost as if he's on a mission.''

The Angels have another two-way player on their roster in Jared Walsh, who is a left-handed reliever and plays first base and the outfield. Ohtani has said hello but hasn't talked much to Walsh.

''It wasn't one of my goals but it is a good thing if people start doing it because of me,'' Ohtani said. ''Right now, I just need to focus on myself.''

Tokens
Moustakas, Brewers nearing deal for $10M
February 17, 2019
By The Associated Press

Mike Moustakas and the Brewers are nearing a deal that would keep the third baseman in Milwaukee for a guarantee of $10 million, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.

The person spoke Sunday on condition of anonymity because the agreement will be subject to a successful physical. The sides were negotiating a deal that includes a mutual option for 2020, the person said.

Talks toward a deal were first reported by The Athletic.

Moustakas' deal would be his second in a row for one guaranteed year on the free-agent market. He rejected a $17.4 million qualifying offer from Kansas City after the 2017 season and returned to the Royals in mid-March for a one-year contract that included a guaranteed $6.5 million: a $5.5 million salary and $1 million option buyout. Moustakas earned an additional $2.2 million in performance bonuses based on plate appearances, raising his total earnings in the deal to $8.7 million.

Moustakas hit .256 with eight homers and 33 RBIs in 54 games for Milwaukee, which acquired him from the last-place Royals on July 27. A 30-year-old left-handed hitter, Moustakas had a .251 average overall with 28 homers and 95 RBIs last year.

Part of the core that led the 2015 Royals to the team's first World Series title in 30 years, Moustakas hit a franchise-record 38 home runs in 2017. After re-signing last March, he hit 20 home runs in 98 games and then was dealt to the Brewers for outfielder Brett Phillips and right-handed pitcher Jorge Lopez.

Moustakas hit .200 (8 for 40) with no homers and three RBIs in the Division Series against Colorado and the League Championship Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers, striking out against Clayton Kershaw for the final out of the Brewers' year. After the season, he joined Milwaukee's Ryan Braun and Christian Yelich, fellow Southern Californians, to sponsor relief efforts following wildfires in the area.

''Obviously, he was a great addition to this team last year in the second half after the deadline,'' Yelich said. ''He's a great player, a great clubhouse guy, and he definitely helped us on the field.''

Tokens
Sano trimmed down as Twins camp opens
February 17, 2019
By The Associated Press

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) Miguel Sano walked into the Minnesota Twins' clubhouse just before 8 a.m., looking trimmed down in rainbow sneakers and a black sweat suit.

''You look good,'' said catcher Jason Castro, a sentiment echoed by teammates between hugs and handshakes with the 25-year-old slugger.

A slimmer Sano is a promising sign for Minnesota. He struggled with his weight last season following offseason surgery on his left shin and was demoted to Class A Fort Myers in mid-June after hitting .203 over 37 games. He finished the year at .199 with 13 homers in 71 games.

''I worked really hard and I've been doing a lot of yoga and a lot of agility stuff and a lot of lifting, so I feel a lot different from last year,'' Sano said. ''I feel like this year can be a lot different for everybody.''

One of Sano's first stops Sunday was expected to be the trainer's room. He arrived to camp with a cut on his lower right leg that he suffered near the end of the Dominican winter ball season.

''Otherwise, besides that, he looks great,'' Twins rookie manager Rocco Baldelli said. ''As good or better as we could have hoped coming into camp.''

Sano started offseason workouts in late October, changing up his diet and his attitude after the worst season of his pro career. Many of his exercises were football-inspired, with an emphasis on flexibility. He also brought on his sister as a nutritionist - she also plans to live with him in Minnesota this season. He wasn't sure exactly how much weight he'd lost, but expected it was enough to make a difference on the field.

''New year, 2019, everything's in the past,'' he said. ''The new Miguel Sano. We've got a great team. We look at the positive stuff. The negative we leave in the past.''

In 2017, Sano was one of the AL's big sluggers. He made his first All-Star team and finished with a .264 average, 28 home runs and 77 RBIs in 114 games. That came after hitting 25 homers in 2016 and 18 as a rookie in `15, which earned him third in the AL's rookie of the year voting.

''He looks good,'' said new teammate Nelson Cruz, who also reported Sunday. The power hitter signed a $14.3-million, one-year free agent deal that comes with a $12-millon club option, leaving Seattle after four years during the offseason.

The Twins are hoping the pair can add some pop to a lineup that finished 12th in the AL in homers last season.

The 38-year-old Cruz has been one of the game's top power hitters the past five seasons, belting at least 37 homers each year.

''We talked a lot,'' Cruz said of Sano. ''He wanted to get me here.''

Cruz expects to spend time chatting with Sano during the season.

''Definitely. We're 24-7 baseball, so, definitely, we'll talk about the situation of the game, not only him but the coaches, too,'' he said. ''We're here to learn, myself, too.''

NOTES: Twins former stars Rod Carew and Tony Oliva were in the clubhouse. ... Full-squad workouts begin Monday morning.

Tokens
Cubs' Maddon foresees 'fluid' bullpen
February 17, 2019
By The Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. (AP) Cubs manager Joe Maddon has a lot of experience cobbling together bullpens from pitchers without defined roles.

Until closer Brandon Morrow is mended and ready, Maddon will once again be faced with a juggling act of sorts in the late innings.

Maddon said Sunday the Cubs bullpen is a ''fluid'' situation. While that's not ideal, it's nothing new for the three-time manager of the year. He's not so big on in-game guidelines, anyway.

''I think primarily the focus will be who's rested, who hasn't pitched a couple days in a row,'' Maddon said. ''And work it that way until Brandon becomes available. And when he becomes available, it's still not going to be an everyday kind of thing. So, I will work off numbers, but I think with this particular group, a lot of it will have to do with who's most rested.''

Morrow had right elbow surgery in November after being shut down in mid-July, and he's unlikely to be ready for opening day. Without him, Chicago still had the NL's top bullpen last year, riding a versatile core group topped by Pedro Strop, Carl Edwards Jr., Steve Cishek and Mike Montgomery. The Cubs bullpen had the NL's best ERA (3.35) and opponents' average (.223).

The front office still added some reinforcements this winter, bringing in righties Brad Brach - a former All-Star - and Tony Barnette.

''We'd love to be in a position where we can withstand a couple injuries in spring training,'' president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said, ''and still put a really quality bullpen out there. That's one area where the market's been pretty soft and pretty slow developing, and we've been active. So, we'll stay in touch with everybody.''

Strop was the primary fill-in for Morrow when he went down with right forearm inflammation on July 19, and it's possible he'll start this season in the same role. He was 6-1 with 13 saves and a 2.26 ERA in 60 games, covering 59 2/3 innings while allowing a .179 average against.

''If I'm the closer, that's fine,'' he said. ''I'm going to take the challenge and pick my boy up. We've got a bunch of guys down there. I feel comfortable because I'm not by myself down there.''

However the bullpen shapes up when the Cubs break camp at the end of March, Morrow will be a welcome addition once he is deemed ready.

Morrow had 22 saves and 1.47 ERA in 35 games before the injury. He wasn't supposed to miss the rest of the season, but a CT scan revealed an osteochondral defect in the joining of the humerus bone. The flare up set him back this spring as he expected to start throwing daily this week and build up from there.

All the setbacks led to a difficult first-year with the Cubs for Morrow despite how well he performed when healthy.

''Especially when you're having a really good year - maybe your best year - it's disappointing,'' Morrow said. ''You feel like you let the team down and fans and things like that. There's nothing you can do but try to get back. And, unfortunately, it didn't work out. Just missing the first month this year will be better this year will be better than the last three months last year.''

Tokens
Brewers' Grandal proactive about chemistry
February 17, 2019
By The Associated Press

PHOENIX (AP) The ink was hardly dry on his $18.25 million, one-year contract with Milwaukee when Yasmani Grandal started working the phone, reaching out to as many new teammates as possible from his offseason home in Peoria. The Brewers' new backstop wanted to get a running start when pitchers and catchers reported to spring training.

He scheduled bullpen sessions with pitchers ready to work off the mound, and sat down to talk strategy with those that weren't. He studied video of his new battery mates and even met with members of Milwaukee's coaching staff.

When Grandal showed up to camp in Phoenix last week, he was ready to work.

''I didn't want to spend a lot of time at spring training getting to know them,'' Grandal said. ''By the time we started, we'd already spoken, I had an idea of what guys wanted to do and different things like that.''

Grandal, 30, was a surprising signing for a team that appeared set at the catcher position with a combination of Manny Pina and Erik Kratz. Both are regarded as glove-first options, making catcher one of the few places Milwaukee could upgrade offensively.

The switch-hitting Grandal was a perfect fit from that perspective. He batted .241 with 24 home runs, 68 RBIs and an .815 OPS last season for the Dodgers.

His defense is also valuable. Though he's struggled with passed balls - something the Brewers saw first-hand against the Dodgers last fall in the NL Championship Series - Grandal has long been regarded as one of the better receivers in the game and played a big role in helping Los Angeles' pitching staff post an NL-leading 3.38 ERA. He's been touted especially for his ability to steal strikes around the edge of the zone.

After working with the likes of Clayton Kershaw, Walker Buehler and Kenley Jansen, he'll take on a staff most notable for shutdown relievers Josh Hader and Corey Knebel.

''There's the old line, `Don't fix it if it ain't broken,' but that doesn't mean you can't improve it,'' Grandal said. ''I'm here to learn as much as I'm here to teach.''

He also provides Milwaukee's coaching staff with a fresh perspective. Having stood in against Brewers pitchers during his seven-year career, he's able to offer insight on what he's noticed - and Grandal has said he picked up plenty from watching during their seven-game playoff battle.

Manager Craig Counsell said he's been hesitant to offer insight at times, preferring to get Grandal's outside opinion first.

''It's almost an audit on our pitchers and our scouting reports, which is helpful for us,'' Counsell said. ''That's a big part of where Yasmani can be a big help, especially here in the early going. The fact that he's taken the initiative is what you hope for. It's part of building the relationship with guys and he's obviously going to be a very important part of their success.''

Tokens
pitch clock coming for spring training games
February 17, 2019
By The Associated Press

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) Major League Baseball is unilaterally starting the use of pitch clocks for spring training games, while brushing off complaints from players about the slow free agent market.

With the sport looking for ways to speed the pace of play, pitchers generally will have 20 seconds to deliver to the plate when teams play exhibition games in Arizona and Florida beginning this week. The intention is to get players and umpires accustomed to the clock in the event MLB makes the rule change for the upcoming regular season.

''We will start getting ready for the possibility that we're going to use the pitch clock on opening day,'' Commissioner Rob Manfred said Sunday at spring training media day in Florida. ''We have to get going.''

After the 2016 and 2017 seasons, players rebuffed management's proposal for a pitch clock. Owners have the right to implement one this year without consent, but Manfred has been reluctant to initiate on-field modifications without agreement from players and their union head, Tony Clark.

''We're still hopeful that we're going to make an agreement with Tony on pace-of-play initiatives,'' Manfred said. ''I just think that whether it's by agreement or otherwise, the only prudent course for us at this point is to be in a position to proceed if in fact we have an agreement or decide to do it ... under our collectively bargained right to do that.''

MLB made a unilateral decision on clocks for the exhibition season.

''We were recently notified by the commissioner's office that the pitch clock will be tested in spring games,'' the players' association said in a statement. ''This is not the result of an agreement with the players' association. Discussions regarding several on- and off-field issues remain ongoing.''

Manfred said the rules involving the clock will be ''phased in'' and won't start immediately with ball and strike calls. But there will be a ''functional'' clock in Grapefruit League and Cactus League games. Management's proposals have said a clock would not be used after foul balls.

Pitch clocks have been used in the high minors since 2015.

With spring training underway and exhibitions scheduled to start Thursday, several players around the majors have taken issue with a second consecutive slow market for free agents. They question why more teams aren't trying to win.

''It would be nice to start with the facts on this topic. There has been no meaningful change in the distribution of winning percentages in Major League Baseball,'' Manfred said. ''Our teams are trying. Every single one of them wants to win. It may look a little different to outsiders because the game has changed, the way that people think about the game, the way that people think about putting a winning team together has changed, but that doesn't mean they're not trying.''

Two of the game's biggest stars, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado remain unsigned - along with closer Craig Kimbrel and dozens of other accomplished veterans.

''There are 11 players who had a WAR (wins above replacement) above 1 last year that are unsigned. I believe that just like last year, that market is going to clear. At some point here in the next few weeks, those players are going to get signed,'' Manfred said. ''We negotiated a system that allows the market to operate and I have every confidence that for those players that I just described, that market is going to clear before we get to playing real games.''

The current economy for players is all part of the game, he insisted.

''I think it's important to remember that the Major League Baseball Players Association has always wanted a market-based system. And, markets change. Particularly when the institution around those markets change. We've had a lot of change in the game. People think about players differently. They analyze players differently. They negotiate differently. Agents negotiate differently,'' Manfred said.

''I think there's lots and lots of offers out there and it's a bilateral process. Players haven't accepted those offers yet. That's how a market works. So you know, we bargained for a market system, that market's out there operating, and I don't have any choice but to live with that right now.''

Manfred said just because clubs don't spend big doesn't mean they aren't attempting to win.

He pointed out that Oakland and Tampa Bay, two low-payroll clubs expected to struggle in 2018, both had excellent seasons. The Athletics reached the playoffs with 97 wins, and the Rays won 90 games.

''I reject the notion that payroll is a good measure for how much a team is trying or how successful that team is going to be,'' he explained.

That drew the ire of Houston Astros ace Justin Verlander, who tweeted: ''Agreed... finally we're on the same page! Awesome! Removal of the luxury tax it is.''

Tokens
MadBum was joking over opener refusal
February 17, 2019
By The Associated Press

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) Madison Bumgarner was joking when he told manager Bruce Bochy he absolutely refuses to pitch behind an opener.

It won't happen anyway.

San Francisco's ace lefty is hardly a likely candidate to follow someone else to the mound who works the first inning.

''If you use an opener in my game, I'm walking right out of the ballpark,'' Bumgarner wrote in a text to Bochy after new team president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said in December the Giants were open to the idea.

Bochy recalled the message this month during Fan Fest.

''Everybody in this clubhouse knows what kind of teammate I am,'' Bumgarner said. ''Some people may have forgotten that. Not in here. Outside, according to all this being talked about right now with that junk. It's OK. All I care about is the guys in here, and that's it. When it comes to the stuff on the field, I think they all know what kind of teammate I am.''

Cubs manager Joe Maddon is curious to see how many clubs employ an opener strategy, one that proved valuable for Tampa Bay and Oakland last season.

''Like Bumgarner said, of course you're not going to do it with him,'' Maddon said. ''You're not going to do it with Jon Lester, you're not going to do it with probably every guy that we have.''

Bumgarner has moved forward from two somewhat forgettable injury-shortened seasons.

The 2014 World Series MVP missed nearly three months two years ago after an April dirt bike accident during an off day in Colorado.

Then Bumgarner broke the pinkie on his pitching hand when he was hit by a line drive from Kansas City's Whit Merrifield in his final 2018 spring training start, undergoing surgery to insert pins into the finger. He returned in June and wound up 6-7 with a 3.26 ERA in 21 starts and 129 2/3 innings.

''I've already done that,'' Bumgarner said of looking toward this season and not behind. ''Especially last year. The first one I could have made a better decision. Last year, that's part of the risk you take standing that close to the hitter. I'm not living in the past, I'm not living in the future, I'm living today. That's what I do.''

He takes more time off during the winter than most, about six weeks, and doesn't throw off a mound until he arrives at spring training - something he learned from former Giants pitcher Matt Cain when he came up to the big leagues. Bumgarner begins throwing six weeks ahead of camp.

''It just makes sense. There's no need,'' Bumgarner said. ''If you're using spring training to get ready for the season then why not use it to get ready for the season.''

Last month, Zaidi hired pitching analyst Matt Daniels. Bumgarner might not be the first to reach out. He calls himself ''old school'' yet also open to new information.

''The thing about Madison, this guy's always trying to get better,'' Bochy said. ''He does a lot of self-teaching, but he listens, he talks to other players along with of course our coaches. He's got a knack of figuring it out himself how to get better. He's open to suggestions.''

In April 2012, Bumgarner signed a $35.56 million, six-year deal through 2017 that included $12 million club options for both 2018 and `19. The Giants exercised his $12 million contract option for this year, if San Francisco fails to contend the Giants could consider trades this summer.

''I haven't thought about that,'' catcher Buster Posey said. ''I sure hope we're in a position where it's out of the question, that's what I hope is the case and hopefully I don't have to think about that.''

Tokens
Monday’s 6-pack

— Seton Hall 81, Creighton 75— Pirates ended game on a 14-2 run.

— Michigan State 62, Ohio State 44- Spartans ended game on a 20-2 run.

— Quinnipiac 107, Siena 100, 3OT— Cameron Young scored 55 for the Bobcats; Jalen Pickett scored 46 for the Saints.

— St John’s 71, Villanova 65— Wildcats led this game 26-9 early on, but then……

— Jordan Spieth was 10-over par on his first 11 holes Sunday. Yikes.

— Free agent 3B Mike Moustakas signed a one-year, $9M deal with Milwaukee.

Quote of the Day
“After hearing lots of new managers talk to the media these days I have only 1 wish, can you please stop talking like you’re launching a rocket? It’s baseball, I’ve sat next to a Hall a Fame manager for 16 years, he never said stupid shit like that. Talk to the fans not the boss.”
Former SF Giants’ coach Tim Flannery

Monday’s quiz
When Michael Jordan played his one year of minor league baseball, what team did he play for?

Sunday’s quiz

Gonzaga has the nation’s longest current win streak, 15 in a row; Wofford is 2nd, at 14.

Saturday’s quiz

William Henry Harrison was president for a month before he passed away, the shortest length of time of any president.

Monday’s List of 13: Conference tournament trends…..

With only two weeks before conference tournaments start, here is some research I did one night while all of you were sleeping…….

13) ACC:
— Six different teams have won the last seven ACC tournaments, with Virginia only team to win twice.
— North Carolina has been in ACC final 6 of last 8 years, but is 1-5 in those finals.
— Last six years, the higher seed is 5-1 in the ACC final.

12) Atlantic 14:
— Lower-seeded team won last five A-14 tourney finals.
— Last time the #1 seed won the A-14 tournament was six years ago.

11) Big 14:
— #1 seed won this conference tournament six of last seven years.

10) Big X:
— Last six years, Kansas was this tournament three times, Iowa State won three times.
— West Virginia lost tournament final the last three years; they won’t get there this year.

9) Big East:
— Villanova won three of last four tournaments, and lost final in the other one.

8) Big Sky:
— Last four years, four different teams won tournament; they were all the #1 seed.

7) Big West:
— Last eight years, eight different teams won this tournament, including one team (Pacific) that isn’t in the league anymore. Riverside/Northridge are only two teams that haven’t won the Big West tournament during that time.

6) CAA:
— Last eight years, seven different teams won this tournament.
— Last five years, tournament was winner was #1 seed or tied for 1st during season
— #1 seed won only once in last six tournaments
— Since 2003, Hofstra is 11-15 in this event, going 0-2 in tournament finals.

5) Horizon:
— Last five years, five different teams won this tournament.
— #1 seed won only one of those five tournaments.

4) MAAC:
— Iona won the last three MAAC tournaments.
— Last time the #1 seed won this tournament: 2010.

3) MAC:
— Buffalo won this tournament three of last four years.

2) MVC:
— #1 seed won this tournament four of last five years.

1) Mountain West:
— Last five years, five different teams won this event, none of them UNLV.
— Last 10 years, Rebels are 10-10 in this tournament; only once in last seven years has UNLV won two games in same tournament.

Tokens
Giants' Bochy to retire after this season
February 18, 2019
By The Associated Press[/I][/B]

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) Bruce Bochy of the San Francisco Giants says he will retire after this season, his 25th as a major league manager.

He says he informed the team Monday and says ''in my mind it's time. It's been an unbelievable ride.''

Bochy turns 64 on April 16. He is entering his 13th season with the Giants, having led the team to World Series titles in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Every other manager with three or more titles has been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Bochy intends to stay in baseball in another role that has yet to be determined.

Tokens
Indians' All-Star Lindor focused on health
February 18, 2019
By The Associated Press

GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) Indians All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor says now is not the time to worry about a long-term contract.

The 25-year-old shortstop spoke Monday for the first time since straining his right calf during an offseason workout in Florida. Lindor, who could miss and opening day, said he's only focused on getting healthy and not his financial future.

The Indians have control of Lindor through 2021. He avoided arbitration last month by agreeing to a $10.55 million, one-year contract.

When asked whether he would consider signing a multiyear deal with Cleveland, Lindor said, ''That's not where we are right now. We'll see what happens. At the end of the day I'm playing the game to win and this is a good place for me to win. If the Indians come up with the right numbers and some point it happens - and I'm not even thinking about it - we'll see.''

Lindor, who dyed his hair blue during the offseason, was asked why he chose not to go to arbitration like teammate Trevor Bauer.

''Did you see the number?'' he said ''It's pretty good. I'll take it. I'm blessed to play this game and get paid for it. My agent did an outstanding job and the Indians came up with the right number. We thought it was good for what the market was dictating to me. I thank the owners, the front office and my agent as well. They did an outstanding job and I signed the paper. I'm happy.''

Lindor batted .277 and set career-highs with 38 homers and 92 RBIs in 2018.

The Indians are counting on Lindor to put up major numbers again after trading run producers Edwin Encarnacion and Yonder Alonso and not re-signing All-Star outfielder Michael Brantley.

Lindor said being patient is a major challenge as he recovers from his injury.

''It is a different feeling to not be able to do what you want,'' he said while meeting with reporters as his teammates prepared for their first full-squad workout. ''The trainers have to keep me busy. The moment I'm not busy, I pick up a bat, look at my cleats. I want to take off running. That's when you have setbacks.''

Tokens
Votto tries to rebound from subpar season
February 18, 2019
By The Associated Press

GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) Joey Votto has spent the offseason trying to make sure he doesn't have another subpar season.

The Cincinnati Reds star led the NL in on-base percentage last year but hit 12 homers, his fewest in a full season, and batted .284, his lowest since 2014. He had 67 RBIs.

''It was the first year where I had a poor offensive year,'' Votto said. ''It is hard to speak on this without sounding arrogant. I've always performed at a certain level. Last year was a bit of a shock. I didn't perform anywhere near to what I'm used to.''

Votto, who turns 36 in September, was hit on the right knee by a pitch from Ryan Madson in August and went on the disabled list. His numbers were down even before the injury.

Votto hit 37 homers during his 2010 NL MVP season and had 36 with 100 RBIs in 2017. He spent this offseason refining his swing.

''I did things differently, so I hope it works,'' Votto said. ''Intuitively, I know why I wasn't ready and came up short last year. I just made sure I didn't do that again and learn from my mistakes. I feel very confident. I'm excited to work.''

Votto is owed $25 million annually through 2023, and the Reds have a $20 million option for 2024 with a $7 million buyout. He has spoken over the years about his desire to help the Reds become a winning team again.

Cincinnati overhauled its roster following its fourth straight season of 94 or more losses, adding starting pitchers Alex Wood, Sonny Gray and Tanner Roark along with outfielders Yasiel Puig and Matt Kemp.

''We've added All-Stars,'' Votto said. ''We've added guys with long track records. They have a lot of things to gain by playing very well here. Hopefully, we carry that into a winning performance.''

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrettChinn
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com