Cnotes MLB 2019 Spring Traning News Notes and Rumors !

Search

Tokens
Even Pirates optimistic as spring training starts
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) Optimism always runs high on the first day of spring training, even for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

''This club has a feel that we can be a postseason team, that we can be a team that can advance deep in the postseason,'' general manager Neal Huntington said Wednesday as workouts started. ''Championship teams are based typically around starting pitching and you win the games you're supposed to win because of your back end. Then you score.''

Pittsburgh hasn't reached the World Series since winning the 1979 title. The Pirates were 82-79 last season, a bit of a surprise after Andrew McCutchen and Gerrit Cole were traded.

The Pirates haven't been to the postseason since winning the first NL wild card for three straight seasons from 2013-15. They have not won a division title since 1992.

However, the Pirates believe they can contend this year because of a rotation that includes Jameson Taillon, Chris Archer, Trevor Williams and Joe Musgrove. All-Star closer Felipe Vazquez anchors a bullpen that includes Keone Kela, Kyle Crick and Richard Rodriguez in set-up roles.

''Our intent is to win our division,'' manager Clint Hurdle said. ''If you win your division, that puts you in a pretty good place. I love the fact that there's hunger in there and it's real, for all the right reasons. And I really like our pitching. If you've got good pitching, you put yourself in a really good position.''

Though position players aren't required to report until Sunday, first baseman Josh Bell, second baseman Adam Frazier, left fielder Corey Dickerson and right fielder Lonnie Chisenhall are projected regulars already in camp.

Tokens
White Sox still waiting for Manny Machado
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) The Chicago White Sox opened spring training still waiting for Manny Machado.

''We'll just see when it happens,'' first baseman Yonder Alonso, Machado's brother-in-law, said Wednesday.

Machado, among the offseason's top free agents, still hasn't agreed to a deal. Alonso spoke with the All-Star infielder on Tuesday.

''We didn't talk about baseball,'' Alonso said.

Chicago hasn't had a winning season since 2012 and is coming off a 100-loss season. The White Sox have added Alonso, right-handers Ivan Nova, Kelvin Herrera and Alex Colome, and outfielder Jon Jay.

Dozens of free agents remain on the market.

''It seems that moves drifting into spring training is becoming a bit of the new normal,'' general manager Rick Hahn said. ''We try to be disciplined in terms of our focus. Certainly we don't want to spend any time negotiating through the media or talking about where things sit publicly until there's some finality.''

For now at least, Hahn said, ''The focus is going to be on the guys in the room, and putting them in the best position to win.''

Manager Rick Renteria said young players such as outfielder Eloy Jimenez and pitcher Dylan Cease get closer to their major league debuts.

''We're all excited about all the possibilities as we're moving forward, because now the time has been put in,'' Renteria said.

Tokens
Kemp looking for playing time with new Reds team
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) A week after outfielder Matt Kemp was traded from the Los Angeles Dodgers to the Cincinnati Reds, he got a sideline pass for Oklahoma basketball game and had a chance meeting with another Oklahoma native: Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench.

''It was pretty cool,'' Kemp said. ''It just so happened that I just got traded to Cincinnati. It was only right to sit there and chat with him for a while.''

Kemp learned firsthand about some of the Reds' history after he was included in their biggest offseason trade. Cincinnati acquired Kemp, left-hander Alex Wood, Yasiel Puig and Kyle Farmer for Homer Bailey and minor leaguers Jeter Downs and Josiah Gray on Dec. 21. It was the fourth time the 34-year old outfielder was traded, but this one was unique given that he wasn't alone going to a new team.

''Transitioning every time is different,'' he said, as the Reds opened camp with their first workout by catchers and pitchers. ''I think this time it is easier. I've got a couple guys here who I played with last year. So far so good.''

Kemp joins a Reds team with a changed outfield after center fielder Billy Hamilton was allowed to go free and signed with Kansas City. Left fielder Adam Duvall was traded to Atlanta last year.

Kemp won Gold Gloves in 2009 and 2011. Last season in 149 games, Kemp played the corner outfield positions. He and Puig join incumbent Jesse Winker, who had shoulder surgery midway through 2018, and Scott Schebler and Philip Ervin in competing for playing time.

Kemp batted .290 with 21 home runs and 85 RBIs last season. He was one of seven Dodgers with 20 or more home runs as LA won the National League title but lost to the Boston Red Sox in five games.

He is seven seasons removed from 2011, when he led the NL with 39 home runs and 126 RBIs for the Dodgers. Kemp signed a $160 million, eight-year contract and since has been dealt to San Diego, Atlanta, back to the Dodgers and then to the Reds. He and Puig can become free agents after the season, so their time in Cincinnati could be limited.

Kemp has a .289 average with 10 homers in 36 games at Great American Ball Park. After four straight 90-loss seasons, the Reds are looking to be more competitive in the NL Central with their overhauled roster.

''I think we're going to be pretty good,'' Kemp said.

Tokens
Martin reunited with Kershaw, connecting with new teammates
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) Before the Los Angeles Dodgers pulled the trigger on their January trade to bring back catcher Russell Martin, they watched enough video to convince themselves he would bounce back from career lows in batting average and slugging percentage.

On the first official day of pitcher and catcher workouts Wednesday, they couldn't be more pleased with the four-time All-Star.

''Bringing Martin back, just him getting up to speed with our guys, the early returns have been unbelievable,'' said Andrew Friedman, Dodgers president of baseball operations. ''Not surprising just how much he's already invested into our guys, the questions he's asking. All he wants to do is win and you can see it in everything he does.''

As a replacement for Yasmani Grandal, who signed as a free agent with Milwaukee, Martin is connecting with returning catcher Austin Barnes and eliminating concerns about the possibility of splitting time.

''As far as Barnes, he looks like he's a tremendous athlete, a good catcher, a good teammate,'' Martin said. ''Good teammates have one goal in common, they want the team to win and I think we share that so I am not going to be (complaining) at all about playing time. As long as we win games, and we put ourselves in position to hopefully win a championship, that's all we can do.''

Martin, who will turn 36 on Friday, has made the playoffs nine times in a 13-year career that began with the Dodgers (2006-2010), and continued with the Yankees (2011-12), Pirates (2013-14) and Blue Jays (2015-18).

With Toronto out of the playoffs last season and committed to developing younger players, Martin did not play the last month and was limited to 289 at-bats, a far cry from his more than 500 at-bats in 2013, 2015 and 2016.

''I was horrible last year,'' Martin said. ''Still a tough out, still could work a count, still hit the ball relatively hard, but it was a down year. I wasn't as good as I can be. When you get older, they give an excuse for you, `Well, you're getting old.' But my body felt great. I got zero excuses.''

He's already pleased with the approach from new Dodgers hitting coach Robert Van Scoyoc and his staff, including hitting strategist Brant Brown and assistant hitting coach Aaron Bates. Van Scoyoc came aboard Nov. 28 to replace Turner Ward, who was hired by the Reds, new home of former Dodgers Yasiel Puig and Matt Kemp.

From their analysis of Martin's 2018 performance, they recommend change.

''They told me, `We can clean up your lower half. We feel we can synchronize it to where it is working together,''' Martin said.

Manager Dave Roberts expects improvement.

''No. 1, Russell gives you a professional at-bat, the quality of contact is there,'' he said. ''I am sure he understands there was an angle issue there, a negative angle consistently.''

The goal is for the ball to jump off his bat via an effortless swing.

''An effortless swing is a swing you can control, and when you are in control, you typically have better at-bats,'' Martin said. ''I've always been good at pitch recognition; I always draw walks . last season I was not in position (mechanically) to hit the ball.''

Defensively, he is studying an analytics package provided by Friedman, which shows key aspects of each Dodgers pitcher. Plus, he is picking Barnes' brain.

''The biggest part about being a catcher is knowing your pitchers, building that relationship, building that confidence,'' Martin said.

Left-hander Rich Hill appreciates Martin's seasoning.

''One thing you can't teach is experience, so what he brings into this clubhouse of over a decade of playing in the major leagues is going to help immensely,'' Hill said.

Clayton Kershaw is the only Dodgers pitcher to have ever worked with Martin. They reunited on Tuesday for a bullpen session.

''I thought their discussion during the pen session was great,'' Roberts said. ''I know Russell is very excited to catch him.''

NOTES: Roberts said life without Puig ''is going to be different.'' ''It is going to be a quieter camp, whether that is good or bad.'' ... Closer Kenley Jansen threw his first bullpen Wednesday and was pleased with his spin rate, which dipped last season as he struggled to overcome a hamstring injury and dealt with atrial fibrillation. An August episode in Denver led to an ablation procedure on Nov. 26. ''He looks great,'' said Friedman. . Mark Prior will be the primary pitching coach in the absence of Rick Honeycutt, who underwent surgery Tuesday and is expected to be away for a few weeks while recovering.

Tokens
Marlins open camp, and Don Mattingly knows decisions await
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) There have been years in his managerial career where Don Mattingly has arrived for the first day of spring training without any mystery regarding who would be on the 25-man roster coming out of camp.

This is not one of those years.

And that's just fine with the manager of the Miami Marlins, who is entering his fourth season - and the last under his current contract - with the club that is entering 2019 in a rebuilding mode that has no end in sight. Most pitchers and catchers took part in their first official workout of the spring on Wednesday, an unseasonably cool and drizzly day in South Florida.

''I like the thought of our competition and the way we're going,'' Mattingly said. ''It's a competitive camp. I think guys react better when they have to compete, fight for things. We find out more about them and hopefully as time continues we just keep stacking up talent where everybody's always fighting to have to show what they can do or there's another guy wanting that spot.''

The jerseys were new, a shade of blue that's part of the team's rebranded scheme. Many of the faces were new, most notably catcher Jorge Alfaro - the presumptive starter behind the plate after the Marlins got him in the trade that sent J.T. Realmuto to Philadelphia. But the approach, Mattingly said, won't be that different than was the case in past spring trainings.

''And if you probably looked at all 30 clubs, they're doing similar things,'' Mattingly said. ''You just ask your guys to go do it better.''

Mattingly averaged 89 wins in his five seasons managing the Los Angeles Dodgers. His three seasons in Miami have resulted in 79, 77 and 63 wins respectively, a downward trend that likely can't continue if he's going to be back with the Marlins in 2020.

Mattingly has repeatedly said he's not worried about it, and reiterated Wednesday that not much really makes him anxious anymore. He understands where the Marlins are, and how this total rebuild of the organization - from Single-A ball to the majors and anything and everything in between - was necessary when the regime led by Derek Jeter took over.

''It's like everyone in this organization, on the baseball side or the business side: Everyone's up for evaluation at the end of the year and we'll see how we're going to move forward,'' said Jeter, the Marlins' CEO. ''Donnie's under contract. I've known Donnie a long time. Played with Donnie ... I've learned a lot from him throughout the years. But like everyone else in the organization, he's under contract and he'll be evaluated at the end of the year.''

The first full-squad workout is set for Monday, but these five days to concentrate on pitchers and catchers is vital in Mattingly's eyes.

Miami had 13 pitchers start a game last year, and as many as seven of them figure to have a real shot at making the rotation coming out of spring. There are also some arms in the minors that Miami will take a long look at this spring.

So decisions will need to be made, and Mattingly will have about six weeks to make the right ones before the games start to count.

''There's hopefully a number of guys that are showing that they're capable,'' Mattingly said. ''Every year you see pitching staffs come out of the blue, a bullpen or something that turns from being something people wouldn't expect (to be good) to one of the best in baseball. I think we've got a number of good arms. We've got a number of guys who we feel have really good stuff.''

Tokens
Hi There Recon...........always good to know what's going on in the baseball world.........w-thumbs!^

Tokens
Lefty Brett Anderson back with A's again
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. (AP) Left-hander Brett Anderson is back with the Oakland Athletics for a third stint 10 years after breaking into the big leagues with the club.

He received a $1.5 million, one-year contract, announced Wednesday at spring training. He can earn an additional $1 million in performance bonuses for starts: $200,000 each for 16, 18, 20, 22 and 24.

Anderson went 4-5 with a 4.48 ERA in 17 starts and 80 1/3 innings last season for the A's.

The 31-year-old spent the 2009-13 seasons with Oakland before being traded to the Rockies in December 2013.

Also Wednesday, the A's placed left-hander Sean Manaea on the 60-day injured list to clear roster room for Anderson.

Manaea pitched a no-hitter against Boston on April 21 in a bright start to a season that ended with the ace undergoing arthroscopic shoulder surgery in September. He is expected to be out until around the All-Star break.

Tokens
Yu Darvish felt pressure after big deal
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. (AP) Yu Darvish felt pressure after signing a $126 million, six-year contract with the Chicago Cubs.

''At the time I didn't say anything about that, but I was thinking I should do something for the Cubs. I should win 20 games,'' he said Wednesday. ''This year I want to be myself. I am feeling less pressure.''

Darvish went 1-3 with 4.95 ERA in eight starts during 2018, the last coming on May 20. He was sidelined by triceps and elbow injuries, and his season ended in August when an MRI showed a stress reaction in his arm after one inning of a rehab start.

The 32-year-old right-hander spoke in English, a sign he is feeling more comfortable, after his first bullpen session of spring training.

''I am feeling I am family,'' he said. ''I feel good right now.''

Darvish came to the major leagues from Japan before the 2012 season and became a four-time All-Star with the Texas Rangers. He was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers in July 2017 and struggled in the World Series, losing Games 3 and 7 against Houston.

Cubs manager Joe Maddon said the fact that Darvish opened up about last year's struggles is a sign of him maturing.

''It is always impressive when somebody exposes himself, especially on this level,'' Maddon said. ''It is a part of moving forward. Give him credit. I was getting to know about him last year, so I didn't know all of that about him.''

Fellow starter Jon Lester added making the move to another organization can be difficult. After spending his first 8 1/2 years with Boston, Lester was traded to Oakland and then joined the Cubs.

''That first year is a little tough,'' Lester said. ''Everybody handles it a different way. He's unique coming from Japan and Texas and now here and going through with what he went through with the Dodgers. He had a lot on his plate and having to try and pitch through some things he wasn't comfortable pitching through. You want to make a good impression with everybody, and that includes the fans. I'm sure it was tough on him.''

Darvish reported at 230 pounds, down 10 from last year. He said he spent more time in a gym and ate better.

''He looks huge, like jacked,'' reliever Steve Cishek said. ''It's encouraging to see. Obviously, he was disappointed he couldn't be out on the field last year. As a competitor you want to see your teammates fight through that stuff.''

A healthy Darvish would mean more depth for an already strong rotation that helped the Cubs win 95 games last season.

''If you slide him in there that makes our rotation that much deeper, which you need throughout the season,'' Lester said. ''It's a huge boost for us if we get the Darvish we all know he can be. Hopefully everything is behind him as far as his arm. I'm sure it is a piece of mind for him to go out and worry just about pitching.''

Tokens
Something special about first workout for new Texas manager
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) Chris Woodward thinks long-term and appreciates the everyday grind of the game, having been a utility infielder over a dozen seasons and serving as a third base coach in the World Series each of the past two years.

Still, Woodward allowed himself to consider where he had come from to being a first-time manager when the Texas Rangers pitchers and catchers held their first workout of spring training Wednesday.

''There's something special about it. To think, just kind of go back to my career, and I kind of mentioned that to the guys today,'' Woodward said. ''When you've been through so much as a player and then as a coach, just the ups and downs, you kind of start to look back and think about, `Man, this thing started when I was 18, could I be standing at this moment.' ... I'm going to enjoy it.''

Woodward's daily spring training commute from his home in Chandler, Arizona, has gotten longer this spring - from about 40 minutes each way to a solid hour, extra time he uses to listen to more documentaries.

The 42-year-old Woodward has gone from being the third base coach for the two-time defending National League champion Los Angeles Dodgers to managing a Rangers team with a bunch of 20-something position players and a revamped rotation that is coming off consecutive losing seasons for the first time in a decade. But he hasn't changed his expectations.

''We're building a championship mentality. Like that's first and foremost. He didn't hire me to finish third,'' Woodward said, referring to general manager Jon Daniels standing beside him. ''It's lofty expectation, but you have to start that belief right now. ... We've got to give them the process, define it for them, help them understand it, and provide the atmosphere.''

Before opening camp, the Rangers had their most comprehensive organization meeting in a dozen years, with about 190 people gathering together in a resort ballroom Monday. That is about three times as many people as typically attend their meeting at the start of spring training.

''Everybody in baseball operations,'' Daniels said. ''Stood up at the front of the room, and you realize the size of the operations. It's large.''

There were about 55 people hired in the past 12 months among the group, including the manager who replaced Jeff Banister after last season.

''A variety of things. I think probably the biggest was to introduce some of the new people that are on board, and some of the things, the initiatives that we're focused on, and just communication throughout the organization,'' Daniels said. ''It was a little bit of like looking to pull back the curtain and try to be as transparent as we can on what we're doing, why we're doing it.''

When there was a show of hands from the people that attended the last full organization meeting in January 2007, Daniels said about 30 people had also been at that one before Texas won consecutive AL pennants in 2010 and 2011.

Rangers pitchers opened spring training Wednesday doing long toss and some fielding drills without any bullpen sessions. Their day on the field got started later than usual, and that is likely to be the case until they begin to play spring training games.

''Let these guys get their rest,'' said Woodward, who played for five big league teams and coached for two others. ''On teams that I played on in the past, and coached on, you try to look like you're the best team out there because you're out there the longest. Let's be the most efficient in what we do, work the best while we're doing it so we don't have to be there five hours a day.''

Tokens
Wainwright back after injury-wrecked '18
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) Adam Wainwright stood in front of his customary corner locker following the St. Louis Cardinals' first workout and said he was healthy.

''Last year going into spring training, I was struggling,'' the pitcher said Wednesday. ''I was trying to convince myself I was better than I was, but I was doing a poor job of it, I think.''

Wainwright had minor elbow surgery after the 2017 season and was just 2-4 with a 4.46 ERA last year, appearing in only eight regular-season games. His average fastball velocity dropped 1 mph to 89.75 mph, down from 92 mph in 2013, when he went 19-9 and helped the Cardinals reach the World Series.

''I'm excited to play baseball again without having to flinch every time I throw a ball,'' Wainwright said.

Wainwright finished second or third in NL Cy Young Award voting four times in six seasons through 2014. But he is 29-19 since, averaging 18 starts per year.

Coming off a $97.5 million, five-year contract that paid $19.5 million last season, the 37-year-old right-hander agreed to a $2 million, one-year contract that allows him to earn $8 million in performance bonuses as a starting pitcher, $3 million for relief appearances and $4 million more for games finished.

Wainwright is scheduled to throw his first bullpen session Thursday. He is excited about the additions of first baseman Paul Goldschmidt and reliever Andrew Miller.

''When I look at our lineup, and I look at our bullpen and I look at our starting rotation, I don't see many holes,'' Wainwright said.

All-Star catcher Yadier Molina loosened his arm and monitored throwing sessions but never put on his shinguards. Molina is recovering from left knee surgery in December and isn't expected to catch bullpen sessions before the start of exhibition games.

''He's able to do everything, it's just a matter of, listen, it's Day 1 of pitchers and catchers,'' manager Mike Shildt said. ''We don't feel like we need to push him to do anything.''

Tokens
MadBum puts rookie Joey Bart to wiork
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) When catching prospect Joey Bart arrived in the San Francisco Giants' camp, he wanted to get over any nervousness about being around veterans such as Madison Bumgarner, so he made a point of introducing himself to the pitcher.

The second overall pick in last year's amateur draft had no idea he'd be catching Bumgarner's first bullpen session Wednesday.

''I was walking in to catch and he was like, `Let's go on No. 1,''' Bart said. ''I was like, `All right, here we go.'''

Bumgarner hopes to bounce back from a disappointing 2018. The left-hander didn't make his season debut until June 5 after breaking the pinkie of his pitching hand when hit by a line drive off the bat of Kansas City's Whit Merrifield late in spring training. Bumgarner went 6-7 with a 3.26 ERA in 21 starts.

''You can tell he came in ready,'' Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. ''It was a really good bullpen for him. It's good for the kid to catch him, too. First bullpen and he's catching your No. 1 guy. That's probably good for him to break the ice and feel part of this.''

Bart, a junior at Georgia Tech last year, is filled with enthusiasm.

''If a guy like Bumgarner or one of these other veterans, (Jeff) Samardzija, wanted me to go in there, that would be a blast,'' Bart said. ''It'd be a dream come true to get back there and work with those guys. Like I said, I'm just here trying to do what they tell me to do, whether it's catch bullpens, stand in for hitters, whatever else, that's what I'm here to do.''

After watching Bumgarner on television make opposing hitters look foolish, Bart didn't expect to have a front row seat.

''He put it right where he wanted it and to me, that was great,'' Bart said. ''I don't know how he is at his peak but for his first one, I thought he did well. He said he'll get better. I was pretty impressed.''

San Francisco will have a competition for the No. 2 catcher behind Buster Posey, who is coming back from hip surgery. Others in camp include Aramis Garcia, Cameron Rupp, Hamlet Marte and recently signed veterans Rene Rivera and Stephen Vogt.

''We're hopeful that all goes well with Buster and we get him back normal and catching as many games as he normally does,'' Bochy said. ''We have some good names here and experience. We do have coverage there behind the plate.''

Bart, 22, planned on shadowing Posey as much as possible.

''I've already been told by a few guys to stay as tight to him as you can,'' Bart said of Posey. ''Everyone around here says he's a genius and it shows. Whatever he can give me pointers on, I'll try to soak it all up and have a great spring.''

Notes: Pitcher Johnny Cueto was delayed reporting to camp because of what Bochy called a personal issue and expected on Thursday. Cueto posted on Instagram that his horse, Popeye, had died. ... The Giants agreed to a minor league contract with 31-year-old OF Gerardo Parra, subject to a successful physical expected to take place Sunday. Parra hit .284 season with six homers and 53 RBIs. ... Bochy said he liked what he saw of Samardzija, who was limited to 10 starts last season because of problems with his right shoulder. ''You could tell he was a lot freer and had a good slot where he was throwing from,'' Bochy said. ''He had a different look about him so that's a good thing. He's on pace to keep doing what he normally would do or what the other pitchers do now and that's getting ready for the season.'' ... The Giants acquired RHP Trevor Gott, 26, from Washington to cash and claimed RHP Jose Lopez off waivers from the Reds. Gott appeared in 20 games with the Nationals last season and had a 5.68 ERA over 19 innings. At Triple-A Syracuse, Gott compiled a 3.68 ERA in 28 games. Lopez, 25, was designated for assignment on Monday after the Reds signed Zach Duke. A top prospect, Lopez was 5-13 with a 4.47 ERA in 26 starts last season at Triple-A Louisville, totaling 141 innings.

Tokens
Rockies anchored by homegrown rotation
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) How's this for a mile-high milestone: The Colorado Rockies have one of baseball's best young starting rotations.

According to ace Kyle Freeland, at least.

''I think our rotation can stack up against anybody,'' Freeland said Wednesday when pitchers and catchers had their first workout.

He has a strong case. The Rockies have made the postseason as a wild card each of the past two seasons - a first for the franchise - and the evolutions of young starters like Freeman, German Marquez and Tyler Anderson are a big reason why.

The rotation had a 4.17 ERA last season, the second-lowest mark ever for the franchise. Of course, because of the hitter-friendly conditions at Coors Field, the Rockies are unlikely to ever challenge for a team ERA title.

Other indicators show them right there with the National League's best. The group made 87 quality starts - only the Dodgers (95) and Milwaukee Brewers (91) had more - while working a league-high 932 innings. Ranked by Fangraphs' wins above replacement metric - which attempts to cancel out park effects - Colorado's starters ranked fourth in the NL, behind the Mets, Dodgers and Phillies.

The chief goal right now: catching the six-time reigning NL West champion Dodgers.

''The Dodgers have a very good rotation. These are different rotations because these are different pitchers,'' Colorado manager Bud Black said. ''We feel like on any given night, any given start, that we can match up with anybody. The Dodgers have pitched extremely well the last number of years. You look at team pitching. You look at any team that has made the playoffs, they are always at the top of team pitching. Statistically, the Dodgers are right there.

''That is our goal, when you look at team pitching, to be up the ladder there. We have a little different environment, but there are some markers there that show we are a good pitching team.''

Homegrown starters Freeland and Marquez had breakout years in 2018, the second full season for each. The 25-year-old Freeland was 17-7 with 2.85 ERA, which was fifth in the league, and Marquez, 23, was 14-11 with a 3.77 ERA and 230 strikeouts in 196 innings.

Jon Gray, another product from the farm, is a three-time double-digit winner who won 12 games with a 5.12 ERA last year. After an inconsistent few years, the 27-year-old reported to camp having putting on some muscle and ''is in a good spot,'' Black said.

''From when I got here a couple of years ago, I sensed that there was some talent, and I think we are building on that, too,'' said Black, in his third season in Colorado. ''The depth is starting to emerge from our system. Overall, we feel good about the group. I know that organizationally, it is something we have to stay on top of. All teams do.

''Because you have to pitch.''

Freeland pitched six shutout innings on three days' rest when the Rockies beat Chicago in the NL wild-card game, and Marquez gave up two runs in five innings in his NLDS start against Milwaukee, which swept the three-game series.

Now, Freeland said, it's time to get even better.

''We are all getting older, we are all getting wiser and learning this game, and learning it all the highest capacity,'' Freeland said.

''We are in the playoffs and we are playing extremely meaningful games that are do-or-die. We are learning how to play in that, and I think that is only going to help us in the long run.''

Tokens
Royals sign Diekman to $2.25M deal
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) The Kansas City Royals and reliever Jake Diekman agreed Wednesday to a one-year contract that guarantees $2.75 million and includes a mutual option for 2020 plus bonuses that could make it worth $10 million over two seasons.

Kansas City made room on its 40-man roster by placing right-hander Jesse Hahn on the 60-day injured list. Hahn is recovering from Tommy John surgery and is not expected to be ready before opening day.

The 32-year-old Diekman spent last season with the Texas Rangers and Arizona Diamondbacks, making 71 appearances with a career-worst 4.73 ERA. But he's shown shutdown ability during a seven-year career that included a stop in Philadelphia, going 14-15 with a 3.75 ERA.

Diekman gets a $2.25 million salary this year, and the deal announced includes a $5.75 million mutual option for 2020 with a $500,000 buyout. He can earn $1 million annually in performance bonuses.

The Royals' bullpen was a mess all of last season, and there are plenty of jobs up for grabs this spring training. Kevin McCarthy and Wily Peralta are the only safe bets to make the team.

Tokens
Xavier Cedeno agrees to $900,000, 1-year contract with Cubs
February 14, 2019
By The Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. (AP) Left-handed reliever Xavier Cedeno and the Chicago Cubs have agreed to a $900.000, one-year contract.

The deal is not guaranteed, meaning Cedeno could be released for termination pay before opening day.

The 32-year-old went 2-0 with a 2.43 ERA in 48 appearances last season. He began the year with the Chicago White Sox and was traded to Milwaukee on Aug. 31.

Lefty batters hit .207 against Cedeno last year.

Cedeno made his major league debut in 2011 with Houston. He is 10-7 with a 3.69 ERA in 249 career games for the Astros, Washington, Tampa Bay, White Sox and Brewers.

The Athletic was the first to report the move.

Tokens
Mets' Callaway seeks smoother ride
February 13, 2019
By The Associated Press

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) Mickey Callaway's first season as a manager with the New York Mets was ... well ... messy.

His team batted out of order due to a lineup-card snafu. Several puzzling decisions drew heavy scrutiny. And the banged-up Mets faded fast following an 11-1 start, finishing eight games under .500.

"I experienced a ton. I think that's probably the most valuable thing, is just going through it. Going through the ups and downs," Callaway said Wednesday. "I'm looking forward to Year 2."

But as he prepares to begin his second spring training in charge, the 43-year-old Callaway is already under plenty of pressure in a potentially dicey situation.

The club's new general manager, former player agent Brodie Van Wagenen, didn't hire him. Not to mention, Van Wagenen and chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon want a playoff contender after spending about $80 million on free agents plus more big bucks to obtain second baseman Robinson Cano in a blockbuster trade with Seattle.

On paper, the Mets look much improved, and a confident Van Wagenen hasn't been shy about saying they fancy themselves NL East favorites.

"I don't have a big concern at this point," Callaway said about his team.

But wins won't come easily in a robust division that includes Atlanta, Washington and Philadelphia. New York finished behind all three last year, and each one has made significant moves to upgrade this winter.

"Bring on as much pressure as possible," Callaway said. "The pressure is welcomed, and I'm going to be better suited to handle things on a daily basis because of my experience last year."

Sandy Alderson was the GM when Callaway was brought in following a highly successful stint as Cleveland's pitching coach. He felt so sure about the Mets roster at his disposal when camp started last year that Callaway proclaimed: "If we don't do something special with the group we have in place, it's going to be on the leadership. That's going to be on me."

After his rookie season at the helm, Callaway spent a lot of time reflecting on his performance.

"I got to sit down with my coaching staff. I got to sit down with Brodie. I got feedback from everybody I could," Callaway said. "People that are no longer in the organization, I reached out to them and asked them what I could do to be a better manager."

To assist him in the dugout this year, the Mets hired Jim Riggleman as their new bench coach.

The 66-year-old Riggleman has 13 seasons of experience as a major league manager with five teams - four in the National League.

"I walked him through some of the moves that I made last year. And he stopped me four minutes into my explanation and said, 'See how long it took you to explain that?' You're never going to be able to explain everything," Callaway recalled. "He said, 'Don't overthink it.' I think going into the season I'm going to make sure I'm more cognizant of that this year.

"I tend to be a deep thinker. And it's fun for me to sit there the whole game and think about what's going to happen and how I can use my guys," he added. "I think it's like taking a test: When you know something, you know it. And don't start questioning what you know. And I think at times I had some time to stew over things and maybe just tried to make it a little more complicated than it really is. And I think at this point in my career and who we have in that room, we can play a little bit more traditional baseball than I was trying to think about last year. You try to get creative to help your team win, and that might not always be the right way."

If the Mets get off to a rocky start, however, Riggleman could quickly be viewed as a natural replacement for Callaway.

Riggleman has been promoted to interim manager several times throughout his career - including last season by the Cincinnati Reds.

"We're on the same page. We've had great conversations so far. He's such a knowledgeable baseball guy. I can't wait to get in the dugout with him and kind of go back and forth on what we should and shouldn't do," Callaway said. "We are lucky to have him and I'm lucky to have him next to me in the dugout. There's no threats there."

With help from the analytics staff and new quality control coach Luis Rojas, one of Callaway's biggest challenges will be juggling the lineup on a daily basis and during games.

Van Wagenen focused on building depth this offseason and said the Mets want to take advantage of their versatility at multiple positions. For example, they brought in two All-Star second basemen in Cano and Jed Lowrie, who will likely see time at third base and all over the infield.

"We have to over-communicate, if anything, on what the lineup's going to look like," Callaway said. "We're very confident that we're going to get all these guys playing time that they deserve."

NOTES: Callaway said LHP Jason Vargas will be the No. 5 starter but power-hitting prospect Peter Alonso needs to earn the first base job. ... Callaway also said he hopes slugger Yoenis Cespedes, rehabbing from surgery on both heels, can contribute "late in the season." ... The first formal workout for pitchers and catchers is scheduled for Thursday.

Tokens
Angels' Ausmus will get in on the action at spring training
February 14, 2019
By The Associated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) Brad Ausmus will absolutely get in on the action during his first spring training as Angels manager. He has already caught a couple of bullpens and plans to jump right into more drills along the way to help his players prepare for a fresh season.

''I get involved pretty good,'' he said. ''You might see me standing at a position with a glove on, covering a base or taking groundballs. That will happen.''

Ausmus got back behind the plate to catch bullpens by Trevor Cahill and Matt Harvey at the Tempe Diablo Stadium complex.

''It's something I like to do. I did it in Detroit,'' Ausmus said. ''My frame of reference catching all those years was seeing a pitcher from that angle. It's easier for me to see something in the delivery or the movement of the pitch from that as opposed to from the side or behind.''

So, how'd they look?

''Good. Think I'd tell you otherwise?'' he said with a smile.

The 49-year-old former catcher who played 18 major league seasons is charged with the task of getting the Angels back to the playoffs after a four-year absence and eight out of nine years without a postseason berth. Los Angeles got swept by the Royals in the 2014 AL Division Series.

Any pressure as the franchise's first new manager in nearly two decades with Mike Scioscia's departure? Scioscia managed 19 major league seasons, wound up with 1,650 career victories and led the wild-card Angels to a World Series title in 2002.

''I was in a similar situation in Detroit replacing Jim Leyland. Jim hadn't been there as long as Sosh was here, but the bottom line is I've got to be me and I've got to run the camp the way I think the camp should be run,'' Ausmus said. ''Anything other than that would be seen as kind of fake by the players. So I'm just going to be me. Sosh obviously had a tremendous managerial career, probably of the likes that we will not see again in modern baseball unless something changes. But I can't be Mike Scioscia.''

Not that Ausmus is revealing how he might be different or details about how he will operate spring training.

He insists most things aren't that different from anywhere else around baseball at this time of year.

''If you were to take a drone and fly it over all 30 teams, camps would look generally the same. We cover a lot of the same basics, the fundamentals that need to be covered. So I don't know that I would point to anything specific and even if I knew of some specific things, I probably wouldn't tell you. I feel like that's state secrets. But you won't notice much of a difference.''

It helps that Ausmus is already familiar with his roster. He spent last season as special assistant to general manager Billy Eppler following four years as Tigers manager. Ausmus had a 314-342 record in Detroit.

''Just in terms of knowing the guys, with a new manager,'' he said. ''When I got hired in Detroit I came in and the vast majority of players I was meeting for the first time in spring training. There was a handful I met ahead of time. But the vast majority other than talking to on the phone I hadn't seen or spoken to. These guys, going all the way down to the minor leagues because I traveled through the minor leagues as well, they've at least seen me. And a lot of them I've had conversations with, especially at the big league level where I spent most of my year.''

His eyes up, Ausmus watches batting practice and takes in other drills early on while also monitoring the action to make sure his players don't push too hard too soon.

Oh, and off the diamond, Japanese two-way star Shohei Ohtani already made a keen observation.

''He's a very good-looking guy,'' Ohtani said, then quickly added, ''of course Scioscia was good looking, too.''

Tokens
Blevins says he has felt at home returning to the A's
February 14, 2019
By The Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. (AP) Jerry Blevins didn't know many of his new Oakland Athletics teammates yet the left-handed reliever said he has felt right at home returning to the team with which he broke into the big leagues back in 2007.

The 35-year-old Blevins rejoined Oakland when he signed a minor league contract earlier this month. The A's have a talented bullpen but right now Ryan Buchter is the only left-handed option currently on the 40-man roster.

''I've always had a soft spot for Blev,'' Oakland manager Bob Melvin said. ''He was a guy I had to send up and down for a while, which is difficult to do, and he's made a nice career for himself. He has a really good understanding of what he needs to do and is impactful in the clubhouse, too. He's a smart guy and gets it. It's nice to have as many of those guys in your clubhouse as you can have.''

Blevins has pitched the last four seasons with the Mets but he's kept an eye on his former team.

''It's like your first love kind of thing,'' Blevins said. ''You always keep an eye on them, check up on them on Facebook, that kind of thing.''

He celebrated his return by posting a handwritten note to Oakland fans on Twitter: ''Oakland! Back to where my big league career began. It's difficult to describe how it feels to return. I'm coming home. That's it. To the familiar faces by the bullpen and tunnel, right field and left field, I'll see you soon. I can't wait to start Chapter 2 of my A's story. Let's make it a World Series story.''

Blevins compiled a 13-6 record with a 3.30 ERA from 2007 to 2013 with the Athletics. But he's coming off a rough season with the Mets in which he had a 4.85 ERA over 42 2/3 innings in 64 games.

''Up and down, inconsistent,'' Blevins said when asked to describe last year. ''I never had a clear role. I started slow, got hot, got cold, didn't get traded. Just inconsistent and that's out of character for me. I just want to get back to knowing what you get when you put me on the mound. That's been my entire goal this offseason. I feel great.''

Oakland's bullpen, which compiled a 3.35 ERA, second-lowest in the league last season, was one of the reasons the team won 97 games and secured an American League Wild Card spot.

''This is a great team and you've got a lot of young talent, some good leadership,'' Blevins said. ''I'm just trying to fit in and do my part. I don't want to try to lead. I'm just going to fit in. That's been the gist of what I want to do. I just want to be a left-handed pitcher and contribute as much as I can to a great team moving forward already.''

---

Tokens
Friday’s 6-pack

— Hofstra 99, Charleston 95— Pride is 12-1, has a 2-game lead in CAA.

— Furman 67, NC-Greensboro 57— Spartans fall two games behind Wofford in SoCon.

— Gonzaga 73, LMU 60— Lions played well, played their hearts out, but lost by 13.

— Utah 83, Arizona 76— Parker Van Dyke was 7-10 behind the arc.

— Murray State 73, Austin Peay 71— Governors’ tying hoop was split-second after the buzzer.

— Omaha 85, South Dakota State 84— Mavericks hit a contested baseline jumper at the buzzer for the win.

Quote of the Day
“I’ve loved every day I’ve been in this job, and I think there’s nothing but enormous opportunity ahead for this league. And ultimately, I realize I’m just passing through like every player who’s gone through this league and ultimately like every owner, and I feel an enormous obligation to the fans and to this greater NBA family to do my best and try my hardest every day. But that’s where 100 percent of my focus is.”
NBA commissioner Adam Silver

Friday’s quiz
Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 NBA Draft; Hakeem Olajuwon was the #1 pick. Who was the #2 pick?

Thursday’s quiz
Who was James Harden’s coach at Arizona State?

Wednesday’s quiz
John Calipari used to coach the NBA’s Nets; he was 72-112 in 2+ seasons in New Jersey.

Friday’s List of 13: Random stuff with weekend here….

13) In the first 7.5 months of legalized sports gambling in New Jersey, a total of $1.63B was wagered; how much did those people also spend on restaurants/shopping while they were out gambling in the Garden State? It is time for New York State to wake up and legalize sports wagering.

12) 76ers are a combined 1-7 against Toronto, Milwaukee and the Celtics, which doesn’t bode well for the Eastern Conference playoffs this spring.

11) Denver Broncos’ Super Bowl odds before the Flacco trade: 60-1
Denver Broncos’ Super Bowl odds after the Flacco trade: 60-1

The guy who is the head of the Westgate SuperBook is a Broncos’ fan, by the way.

10) Saw a video on Twitter the other day of a woman throwing a chair off a 45th story balcony along a busy downtown Toronto street; now that woman is facing charges, She is charged with mischief endangering life, mischief endangering property and common nuisance.

I’m watching this video and thinking “Why would someone do this?” Luckily, no one got hurt; if there had been a car accident and someone died, thats criminally negligent homicide, right?

9) Golfer Matt Kuchar apparently paid his caddy $5,000 during his win at the Mayakoba Classic last fall, where he won $1.3M. Thats a 0.38% tip. Not good.

Going rate for caddies is 10% if the player wins, which obviously would be $130,000.

The caddy is not Kuchar’s normal caddy; he offered the guy an additional $15,000 later on, which the caddy (for some reason) turned down.

Weird story that basically makes Kuchar look like a cheap bastard.

8) Lot of times, I rattle on in this space about things I think should happen, and it is just me typing stuff that has no chance of ever happening, but every once in a while……..

Late last month, the San Diego Padres informed MLB that starting in 2020, they’ll have new uniforms, and those uniforms’ main colors will be brown and gold!!!!!

This is excellent, the Padres returning to their Nate Colbert/Randy Jones roots, when they had very cool uniforms. Can’t wait to see them.

7) Donald Trump played golf with Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods couple weeks ago after not having left Washington since Thanksgiving; you know he had to have been practicing golf somewhere. Least surprising news ever: There is a golf simulator in the White House, where you can play simulated “rounds” on courses all over the world.

The new $50,000 simulator replaced an older one that President Obama used in the White House. Stressful job, the president needs an outlet to release his frustrations, and just to have fun with.

6) San Francisco Giants signed Gerardo Parra to a minor-league deal, which could be a signal that they’re out of the Bryce Harper sweepstakes, seeing how Parra is a lefty-hitting OF, just like Harper.

5) Oregon Ducks’ football team fired DC Jim Leavitt this week; he was making $1.75M after Willie Taggart wanted to bring him to Florida State, but Oregon boosters were mad at Taggart because he used one of their planes to fly to a job interview with FSU, so they overpaid Leavitt to prevent him from going to the Seminoles.

4) Mississippi State DT Jeffery Simmons, projected to be a top 15-pick in the NFL Draft, suffered a knee injury during training that is thought to be a torn ACL. Simmons was already not invited to the NFL Combine; he was seen on video in 2016 striking a woman.

3) Utah’s great point guard John Stockton missed a total of 22 games in his entire 19-year career, so I’m guessing he didn’t need “maintenance days” when the Jazz had games on consecutive nights.

2) Unusual fact that annoys me a little; I pay for the NBA Full Court package, so I can see every NBA game live, but when games are re-broadcast late at night, those games get blacked out on the local cable channels, except for Knicks/Nets and anything on NBA TV. Since I’m paying a decent amount of money, shouldn’t I be able to watch those replays?

I do not have the NHL package, but their late night replays aren’t blacked out, I can watch any of those games I want to- it makes no sense. Too bad I like basketball better than hockey.

1) Last three NFL teams who appeared on HBO’s Hard Knocks went a combined 16-31-1 that season; all three of those coaches have been fired, two during the season where they were on Hard Knocks. Of course, those two coaches were also breaking in rookie QB’s that year.

This year, looks like the final five are: Lions, Redskins, Raiders, Giants, 49ers. We’ll be seeing a lot of one of those teams next summer on HBO, and I’m guessing they’re saving the Raiders for 2020, when they move to Las Vegas.

Tokens
Twins reach deals with Kepler, Polanco
February 14, 2019
By The Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) The Minnesota Twins have locked up a pair of young position players for the long term by agreeing to five-year contracts with right fielder Max Kepler and shortstop Jorge Polanco, according to two people with direct knowledge of the deals.

The people spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team had yet to announce the contracts, which were reached on Thursday as pitchers and catchers went through their first workout in Fort Myers, Florida. The Twins scheduled a news conference for Friday.

Kepler's contract is worth $35 million and includes a $10 million club option for 2024 with a $1 million buyout. Polanco's deal, which is valued at $25.75 million, has a 2024 option that could become guaranteed as well as a 2025 club option.

Kepler, who turned 26 on Sunday, had agreed last month to a $3,125,000 salary for 2019 in his first year of arbitration eligibility. Entering his fourth full season as a regular in the lineup, Kepler won the team's defensive player of the year award in 2018. He never found a rhythm at the plate, batting a career-low .224, but he set his major league career high with 20 home runs.

Raised in Berlin and signed by the Twins as a 16-year-old, Kepler has long been considered a late bloomer by the organization who has only scratched the surface of his potential because of his roots in Germany where baseball is mostly an afterthought.

With this contract, the Twins could buy out his first three years of eligibility for free agency. With so many unsigned stars still on the market around MLB, the Twins have expressed caution toward such commitments with their not-there-yet status. So chief baseball officer Derek Falvey and general manager Thad Levine turned inward to begin assembling a core of what they're targeting as a future contender.

Kepler and Polanco will now be the only players on the books for 2020 and beyond. Designated hitter Nelson Cruz and starting pitcher Martin Perez have club options for next season, but they can be bought out.

Polanco, who will turn 26 in July, wasn't going to be eligible for arbitration until next year. Entering his third season as a regular, Polanco batted a career-best .288 last year in 302 at-bats after serving an 80-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug .

One of the team's top prospects, Royce Lewis, is a shortstop who was drafted out of high school with the first overall pick in 2017, so Polanco could always find himself at a different position near the end of this deal. Another recent first-round pick, Nick Gordon, was selected fifth overall in 2014 as a shortstop out of high school. He has already begun to play some second base, having finished last year with Triple-A Rochester.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rozgar
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com