Cnotes 2017 College Football Picks-Trends-News Etc. !

Search

Tokens
Mystery man Stanley takes QB reins at Iowa
August 29, 2017

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) Iowa quarterback Nathan Stanley is such a mystery that few knew until Tuesday that he would rather be called Nate. Turns out that he associated the more formal ''Nathan'' with being on his mother's bad side.

Stanley's preferred first name was just the first of many questions he'll be asked to answer this season.

Stanley, a 6-foot-5, 235-pound sophomore, was officially named the Hawkeyes starter on Monday over Tyler Wiegers following a competition that lasted nearly the entire offseason. Stanley, who was 5 of 9 passing for 62 yards as Iowa's backup a year ago, will be under center when the Hawkeyes (8-5 in 2016) host Wyoming on Saturday.

''It was a close call. But we needed to make a decision and start moving forward,'' coach Kirk Ferentz said. ''The whole staff chipped in, and I think we all saw it was a close, competitive race.''

Stanley is largely unknown to even hardcore fans because his recruitment was low key and because he saw scant playing time as a freshman.

But Iowa's coaches have long believed that Stanley had a bright future.

Stanley, who turned 20 on Saturday, grew up in Menomonie, a town of about 16,000 people in northwest Wisconsin. Stanley did it all for Menomonie High, starting for four years in basketball and baseball, and excelling as a quarterback, defensive back and punter for the Mustangs.

It was clear after Stanley's sophomore season, when he threw for 1,276 yards and 14 TDs while leading his school to the playoffs, that he had a future as a Division I quarterback. But unlike many recruits in the age of social media, Stanley kept his plans so private that college recruiters had to ask Stanley's high school coach for permission to access his tape online.

Stanley attended camps at Iowa, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Pittsburgh before his junior year at Menomonie. Stanley instantly felt at home at Iowa, and he committed to the Hawkeyes that summer partly so they'd stop recruiting other quarterbacks in his class.

''Came to camp here, fell in love with the campus, Kinnick (Stadium) and the facilities,'' Stanley said. ''I figured why not make the decision first? This is really where I want to go.''

Stanley kept his commitment to Iowa even though that wasn't easy to do.

Paul Chryst, whom Stanley had built a solid relationship with at Pitt, took over at Wisconsin shortly after Stanley committed to Iowa. Chryst tried to persuade Stanley to become a Badger, but Stanley held firm.

''My parents always stressed to be true to your word,'' Stanley said.

The expectation for Stanley once he got to Iowa was that he would redshirt as a freshman, bulk up and prepare to compete for the backup job by 2017. But Stanley was so impressive in camp last fall that the coaching staff pushed him ahead of Wiegers.

Though Stanley threw just nine passes in 2016, he was the first true freshman quarterback that Ferentz had trusted enough to see action since 2003.

Wiegers pushed Stanley hard enough for the starting job in both the spring and fall that Iowa coaches extended their own preferred timeline for naming a starter. But Ferentz informed Stanley of his decision on Thursday.

A depth chart released Monday still referred to Stanley as Nathan - although this time it came with the news he'd been waiting for months to hear.

Tokens
Corso still going on "GameDay" - with help
August 29, 2017

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) Lee Corso looks down at his notes and asks: ''How do you say this guy's name?''

''Stid-um,'' Kirk Herbstreit responds and then begins to spell Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham's last name for his longtime ESPN ''College GameDay'' partner. A few letters in, Herbstreit reaches over and says, ''Here, let me get that for you.''

Herbstreit writes the name on the sheet of paper, and then they ready themselves to record the next segment.

Now 82 and eight years removed from a stroke, Corso is back for a 30th season on ''College GameDay.'' He can still energize college kids on a Saturday morning like a free-beer tailgate, and for millions of viewers the games don't begin until he dons a mascot head and picks the day's marquee matchup. But getting Corso through a show also requires some help, both on the air and behind the scenes. At times his contributions are off topic. Names come out wrong. Words can escape him.

Herbstreit, Rece Davis, Desmond Howard, David Pollack and the rest of the ''GameDay'' crew have adjusted. Instead of Corso's limitations hindering the show, they make it more compelling. It feels real, not staged, and for live TV, that's usually a good thing

''To this day there's no question in my mind that all the great things that coach adds to the show outweigh those times when his tongue may get tied or he stumbles on his speech or he stumbles over a few words or has trouble getting something out,'' said Lee Fitting, who was ''GameDay'' producer for 12 years and now oversees all ESPN's college studio and remote programs. ''And the times when he does struggle to get some words out, the way in which Kirk and Rece and Desmond and David help coach along, pick up that slack, makes up for it.

''It's endearing to the viewer. It's the family members picking another member of the family up.''

Corso signed a new multiyear contract with ESPN earlier this year. Fitting said it was a no-brainer for the network to bring Corso back. Corso said it was the same for him.

''This job is like stealing. I travel first class in a nice plane. I have a driver waiting for me. I go in a room and have room service. I have a meeting. Then I go to the best game of the weekend and talk football - and they pay me. You gotta be kidding me,'' Corso said. ''Why the hell would I leave something like this?''

Corso played quarterback at Florida State in the 1950s, and roomed with teammate Burt Reynolds. He went on to a 27-year coaching career that included stints as head coach at Louisville, Indiana and Northern Illinois. His last coaching job was with the Orlando Renegades of the USFL in 1985. Two years later, he was hired by ESPN.

He was a natural on TV, quick-witted, spontaneous and unafraid. In 1996, Herbstreit, the former Ohio State quarterback, joined Corso and host Chris Fowler on ''GameDay.''

''Everything he did, I mimicked,'' Herbstreit said of Corso.

That relationship has grown from coach-quarterback to more father-son over two decades. Herbstreit said he would turn to Corso for advice on marriage and raising kids. As for making it in TV, Corso said Herbstreit needed only a little guidance.

''I kept harping on him, first thing: You're so good looking. Make sure you're not off camera,'' Corso said.

On May 16, 2009, at 8:30 a.m., Corso went to get the paper in front of his home in Florida. When he came back inside, his wife could tell something was very wrong. He was having a stroke.

''I vowed that I'd be back - and I couldn't talk,'' Corso said. He did make it back that season. He was slower, more deliberate.

''You have to realize you'll never be the same,'' Corso said. ''But you have to adjust your life.''

He adjusted and so did ''GameDay.'' Especially Herbstreit.

During the taping of the season preview show last week in Bristol, Corso touted Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph as his Heisman Trophy pick. Later in the segment, he referred to Rudolph as Randolph and Herbstreit turned it into a funny exchange involving Davis and Howard, too. In another segment about what conference will be the best this season, Corso responded with how Alabama would beat Florida State. Herbstreit, this time more subtly but with a smile, steered the conversation back on topic.

''The worst thing I can do is correct him a lot,'' Herbstreit said. ''So it's a very fine line between never embarrassing him, never correcting him too much, or letting him comfortably get his words out. Not jumping to the rescue too soon, but not letting him just hang out there alone.''

Fitting said Corso is usually involved in about half of the 3-hour show's 11 or 12 segments. The ''GameDay'' crew is keenly aware of making sure Corso is not alone on camera when he gets stuck.

''It quickly becomes much more conversational. Kirk can help Lee through it. He puts his arm on coach. It's much more comfortable and tolerable for the viewer than ... that isolated shot,'' Fitting said.

On Thursday night, a special edition of ''GameDay'' will air from Bloomington, Indiana, before the Hoosiers play No. 2 Ohio State. It will be the first time Corso has seen Indiana play in person since he was coach from 1973-82. Later this season, he will make his 300th head-gear pick. The first came at Ohio State when he convinced Herbstreit to help him get Brutus Buckeye's head.

Herbstreit said thinking about ''GameDay'' without Corso is ''terrifying.'' Corso said he will keep doing the show as long ESPN lets him.

''If they don't think I can contribute to the show then tell me, `OK, Lee, it's time for you to go.' I'll go,'' he said. ''That's it. I just want to go. I (don't) want no rocking chair.''

Tokens
Pac-12 Beat: From Week 0 & beyond, scheduling quirks abound
August 29, 2017

It's Week One for the college football season. So that means Utah must be playing a Thursday night game.

The Utes have opened the season on a Thursday night since 2009 - before the school joined the Pac-12 conference. This season they'll host North Dakota.

Those Thursday starts help showcase the Utes on television, in this season's case on the Pac-12 Network. It also gives Utah fans the chance to make other plans for the long Labor Day weekend.

Utah has requested a Thursday game each season with the understanding it may not always be granted.

The Utes also have two Friday night games this season. The Pac-12 is among the conferences that schedule games on Fridays, with nine games involving league teams set for this season - not including the conference championship.

''We've got schedules that accommodate the short weeks, the long weeks, every possible conceivable time we can play, we've done that,'' coach Kyle Whittingham said, discussing how scheduling quirks impact the team.

There are a number of other calendar twists in the Pac-12 this season:

BYE BYE BYE: The fourth-ranked Trojans have no off week this season. None . So there's no chance for a team that many say has a good shot of making the playoffs to rest and recharge.

What does work in USC's favor is the start of the season: The Trojans have three straight at home, starting Saturday with Western Michigan. Then they'll host No. 14 Stanford and No. 23 Texas.

''We learned from last year how important it is to start fast. You can do all you want in October and November, and we've been really good, but if you don't start fast, it's hard to get where you want to be. It's going to be critical for us to open up those three ballgames and be hitting on all three cylinders,'' coach Clay Helton said.

WEEK ZERO: Oregon State's game against Colorado State last weekend was originally scheduled for Sept 23. But it was moved up to Week Zero to accommodate Colorado State, which wanted to open the season in the team's new stadium.

It was the earliest start in Oregon State history and it was not kind to the Beavers, who fell 58-27 to the Rams.

Coach Gary Andersen said he thinks the schedule overall works out in Oregon State's favor because the Beavers will get a bye before facing No. 8 Washington and USC in consecutive weeks.

''For this team, where the byes lie for us, I think it's a positive. It makes it a week longer season, but hopefully that week will help us,'' Andersen said.

Oregon State will face another team this weekend that got off to an early start, the Portland State Vikings, who are coming off a 20-6 loss at BYU.

THIS WEEK IN THE PAC-12 AGAINST COLORADO STATE:
It's Colorado's turn . The Buffs open the season with the Rocky Mountain Showdown against their in-state rivals at the home of the NFL's Denver Broncos. It's also one of those Friday night games.

''There's not a lot of games on that night. That makes it special for our players. Playing in Broncos stadium, the kids love playing in the pro stadium. It's a unique atmosphere. I think there were almost 70,000 last year (69,850). I think there should be over 70,000 this year. So it will be loud and exciting,'' Buffs coach Mike MacIntyre said.

MORE WEEK ZERO, FROM FAR, FAR AWAY:
Stanford started the season in a dramatic way, traveling all the way to Australia to play Rice and coming home with a 62-7 victory. Last season it was Cal that got the goodwill trip to Sydney, where they beat Hawaii.

It was Stanford's second game outside the United States: in 1986 the Cardinal beat Arizona in Tokyo.

Coach David Shaw said the players had a blast on the trip - despite the long plane ride.

''I think it would be great for this tradition to continue, whether it's just our conference or maybe other conferences, but hopefully more teams are open for it,'' Shaw said.

The Cardinal now get a week off before visiting USC on Sept. 9.

HOME GAMES GALORE:
The Washington State Cougars have five straight home games to open the season, then only two more the rest of the way.

The Cougars will face Montana State, Boise State, Oregon State, Nevada and USC in succession at Martin Stadium. The two other home games will be Oct. 21 against Colorado and Nov. 4 against Stanford.

''I think it's great for the folks out here, you know, to really get in the habit of getting to games, so we're excited about that,'' coach Mike Leach said when asked about the schedule. ''I'll know more about what I think about it at the end of the season.''

COLLEGE FOOTBALL SUNDAY? The UCLA Bruins will kick off their season Sunday at the Rose Bowl against Texas A&M.

Tokens
CFB notebook: Stetson DB Blakely dies after collapsing at practice
August 29, 2017

Stetson University sophomore defensive back Nicholas Blakely died after collapsing during practice on Monday evening, the school announced.

An official cause of death has not been released for the 19-year-old.

"(Blakely) was on the sidelines shortly after practice began ... when he complained of not feeling well and collapsed," Stetson president Wendy B. Libby said in a statement.

Blakely, who was an accounting major at the central Florida University, was taken to Florida Hospital DeLand outside of Orlando, where he died.

--Kansas running back Octavius Matthews will miss the season and is likely to be done with football for good after tests revealed a career-ending medical condition.

Jayhawks coach David Beaty said the team's top recruit and nation's No. 1-ranked JUCO running back would remain with the program. The nature of the medical issue was not disclosed.

Matthews was dubbed "one of the biggest victories we have in this class" by Beaty in February when KU learned the 6-foot-1 running back picked the Jayhawks over Tennessee and Purdue. Matthews initially committed to Auburn, a national power known for producing pro running back prospects.

--Saturday's contest between Houston and Texas-San Antonio has been postponed due to the effects of Harvey, the tropical storm ravaging Texas that began as a hurricane.

The game was slated to be held at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

"As families across Southeast and South Central Texas struggle with the catastrophic flooding and impact of the storm, our focus must be on how we all can help," UTSA president Taylor Eighmy said in a statement. "In lieu of this weekend's game, I urge Roadrunners, the San Antonio community and all Texans to support recovery efforts in Houston and across the region, including donating to disaster relief efforts."

Houston announced that none of its athletic teams will play in events this weekend, including women's volleyball, soccer and cross country.

Tokens
Thursday’s six-pack

— Johnny Manziel worked out for the CFL’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats, but he showed up out of shape; they don’t think he is ready to play ball, mentally or physically.

— Browns cut CB Joe Haden, a 7-year veteran; he then got three years, $27M from the Steelers.

— Atlanta 3B Brandon Phillips got his 2,000th career hit Wednesday.

— Florida Atlantic opened as a 14.5-point underdog vs Navy; they’ve been bet down to +9. Navy’s OC is ill, and people are jumping on the Lane Kiffin bandwagon.

— Mariners acquired P Mike Leake from the Cardinals; he has $55M left on his contract.

— Cowboys-Texans preseason game scheduled for tonite was cancelled, so the Houston players could go home and assess the damage to their homes.

Thursday’s List of 13: Nobody asked me, but…….

13) All-time record for consecutive scoreless innings:
48— Chicago Cubs, 1968
45— Cincinnati Reds, 1931
45— Kansas City Royals, 2017

12) As of Tuesday night’s results, Joey Votto had 27 walks in his last 18 games; time for the Reds to at least consider batting him leadoff.

Votto’s on-base %age: .449
Billy Hamilton’s on-base %age: .298

11) In 2015, the state of California collected $258.1M in taxes from pro athletes.

10) The major league record for home runs in a season by someone who wasn’t in the majors before August 1? 13, by Ted Williams in 1953.

Phillies’ rookie Rhys Hoskins has 11 homers; his first big league game was August 10.

9) To win $100 at the Westgate SuperBook in Las Vegas, all a bettor has to do is put up $100,000 on the Golden State Warriors making the NBA playoffs this coming season. A $100 bet on Golden State to miss the playoffs pays $10,100.

I could be wrong, but I would advise against putting up $100,000 to win $100.

8) Cedar Bayou, TX had 51.88 inches of rain from Hurricane Harvey, the most rainfall ever on the continental United States. Thats over four feet of rain!!!!

7) Dolphins’ DT Ndamukong Suh played youth soccer as a kid in Oregon— one of his teammates was Klay Thompson. Apparently Suh is now the Miami Dolphins’ backup kicker, should anything happen to starting kicker Andrew Franks, who went to D-III RPI, which is across the river from me in beautiful downtown Troy, NY.

RPI is better known for its Division I hockey program. And its engineering program.

6) How come no one bats the pitcher 8th this year? Because it was never a good idea, just something Tony Larussa/Joe Maddon did, so other teams blindly copied it.

5) Former LSU coach Les Miles, one of my favorites, will be a game analyst for FOX Sports this fall. Miles live-tweeted the Floyd Mayweather fight Saturday night- he could be television gold.

4) Major league record for most games started by a pitcher without ever appearing in relief:
682, Tom Glavine
379, Justin Verlander
372, Felix Hernandez
240, Juan Guzman

3) According to an article in the San Francisco Chronicle last week, the book Moneyball is required reading at most business schools across the country.

Wonder if they’ll study the part where the A’s trade their best pitcher (who has an affordable contract) for three players, two of whom are currently incapacitated, and a third guy who is in AA. (he is hitting .269 in the Texas League right now).

To paraphrase Rick Pitino, Brad Pitt isn’t walking thru that door anytime soon. Moneyball 2 ain’t gonna happen, not while the A’s flounder year after year.

2) First-round matchups for the Puerto Rico tip-off tournament this fall:
South Carolina-Illinois State, Boise State-UTEP, Iowa State-Appalachian State, Tulsa-Western Michigan. Pretty good tournament.

1) Astros are coming home to Houston this weekend; Friday’s game with the Mets was postponed to a day/night doubleheader on Saturday, with a day game on Sunday.

Tokens
Big Ten Report - Week 1
August 30, 2017

Buffalo at Minnesota (-25) - (Thursday, Big Ten, 7:00 p.m. ET)

The Gophs usher in a new coach as former Western Michigan head man PJ Fleck takes over the program. Fleck was 30-22 in his 4 years with the Broncos including 13-1 last year. He should have a good feel for Buffalo coming from the MAC. His WMU squad beat Buffalo 38-0 last season outgaining the Bulls by almost 400 yards. Minny was 9-4 last year but will be breaking in a new QB this season. Their defense was solid holding 4 of their 8 Big Ten opponents to under 20 points, however they lose 8 of their top 12 tacklers.

Buffalo was just 2-10 last year and lost all 6 of their road games by an average score of 36-9. The Bulls have won only 2 of their last 19 road openers. Minnesota has been favored by more than 24 points only 15 times since 1980. They are 13-2 SU in those games, 9-6 ATS. Buffalo has played only two Big Ten opponents since 2007 losing at Penn State 27-14 and at Ohio State 40-20.

Ohio State (-20.5) at Indiana - (Thursday, ESPN, 8:00 p.m. ET)

This is a very rare conference opener during the first week of the season. Our database goes all the way back to 1980 and OSU has NEVER been an underdog in this series. They are 30-2-1 the last 33 meetings. However, IU has given this Buckeye team fits as of late covering 6 straight by an average margin of 13.1 PPG. Last year OSU trailed Indiana 17-13 at home late in the 3rd quarter before pulling away for a 38-17 win. The Bucks return 15 starters including QB JT Barrett and a very experienced offensive line. Ohio State’s defensive line should be among the best in the nation as they bring back nearly everyone in their front 7.

The Hoosiers have a new head coach as Tom Allen takes over for Kevin Wilson. Something to keep an eye on is the fact that Wilson is now the offensive coordinator for Ohio State! Allen was the defensive coordinator for Indiana and also held the same job at South Florida prior to arriving in Bloomington. The Hoosiers return 15 starters from a team that went 6-7 last year losing to Utah 26-24 in the Foster Farms Bowl. IU has lost by more than 21 points at home just 3 times since the start of the 2009 season. OSU has been a road favorite of -21 or more 28 times since 1980 and they are 17-10-1 ATS in those games.

Tokens
NCAAF
Long Sheet

Thursday, August 31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OHIO ST (11 - 2) at INDIANA (6 - 7) - 8/31/2017, 8:00 PM
Top Trends for this game.
OHIO ST is 177-133 ATS (+30.7 Units) in all games since 1992.
OHIO ST is 177-133 ATS (+30.7 Units) in all lined games since 1992.
OHIO ST is 147-114 ATS (+21.6 Units) as a favorite since 1992.
OHIO ST is 54-34 ATS (+16.6 Units) as a road favorite since 1992.
OHIO ST is 71-46 ATS (+20.4 Units) in road games since 1992.
OHIO ST is 71-46 ATS (+20.4 Units) in road lined games since 1992.

Head-to-Head Series History
INDIANA is 2-0 against the spread versus OHIO ST over the last 3 seasons
OHIO ST is 2-0 straight up against INDIANA over the last 3 seasons
2 of 2 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUFFALO (2 - 10) at MINNESOTA (9 - 4) - 8/31/2017, 7:00 PM
There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

There were no past matchups in this series during this time period.

LA MONROE (4 - 8) at MEMPHIS (8 - 5) - 8/31/2017, 8:00 PM

NEW MEXICO ST (3 - 9) at ARIZONA ST (5 - 7) - 8/31/2017, 10:00 PM

FLA INTERNATIONAL (4 - 8) at UCF (6 - 7) - 8/31/2017, 6:00 PM

UCF is 1-1 against the spread versus FLA INTERNATIONAL over the last 3 seasons
UCF is 1-1 straight up against FLA INTERNATIONAL over the last 3 seasons
1 of 2 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

TULSA (10 - 3) at OKLAHOMA ST (10 - 3) - 8/31/2017, 7:30 PM
OKLAHOMA ST is 82-55 ATS (+21.5 Units) as a favorite since 1992.
TULSA is 10-2 ATS (+7.8 Units) in road games over the last 3 seasons.
TULSA is 10-2 ATS (+7.8 Units) in road lined games over the last 3 seasons.

NCAAF

Week 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trend Report
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, August 31

6:00 PM
FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL vs. CENTRAL FLORIDA
Florida International is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Florida International's last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Central Florida's last 8 games
Central Florida is 4-9 ATS in its last 13 games at home

6:30 PM
PRESBYTERIAN vs. WAKE FOREST
Presbyterian is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
Presbyterian is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
Wake Forest is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games

7:00 PM
ELON vs. TOLEDO
Elon is 0-4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
Elon is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
Toledo is 19-6 SU in its last 25 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Toledo's last 5 games

AUSTIN PEAY vs. CINCINNATI
Austin Peay is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Austin Peay's last 5 games
Cincinnati is 1-8 ATS in its last 9 games at home
Cincinnati is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games at home

RHODE ISLAND vs. CENTRAL MICHIGAN
Rhode Island is 1-3-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Rhode Island is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 16 of Central Michigan's last 24 games at home
Central Michigan is 8-3 SU in its last 11 games at home

BUFFALO vs. MINNESOTA
Buffalo is 1-8 SU in its last 9 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Buffalo's last 6 games
Minnesota is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games at home
Minnesota is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games

TENNESSEE STATE vs. GEORGIA STATE
Tennessee State is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games on the road
Tennessee State is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Georgia State's last 11 games at home
Georgia State is 6-19 SU in its last 25 games at home

7:30 PM
HOLY CROSS vs. CONNECTICUT
No trends available
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Connecticut's last 5 games
Connecticut is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home

TULSA vs. OKLAHOMA STATE
Tulsa is 11-2-1 ATS in its last 14 games on the road
Tulsa is 6-13 SU in its last 19 games on the road
Oklahoma State is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Tulsa
Oklahoma State is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UTAH
North Dakota is 1-8 SU in its last 9 games
North Dakota is 1-8 SU in its last 9 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 11 of Utah's last 16 games at home
Utah is 11-4 SU in its last 15 games

8:00 PM
FLORIDA A&M vs. ARKANSAS
Florida A&M is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games
Florida A&M is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
Arkansas is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games
Arkansas is 3-7 ATS in its last 10 games

OHIO STATE vs. INDIANA
Ohio State is 2-7 ATS in its last 9 games
Ohio State is 22-3 SU in its last 25 games
Indiana is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing Ohio State
Indiana is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Ohio State

9:00 PM
LOUISIANA-MONROE vs. MEMPHIS
Louisiana-Monroe is 3-6 ATS in its last 9 games
The total has gone OVER in 8 of Louisiana-Monroe's last 9 games
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Memphis's last 5 games at home
Memphis is 14-5 SU in its last 19 games at home

SACRAMENTO STATE vs. IDAHO
Sacramento State is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
Sacramento State is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
Idaho is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games at home
Idaho is 6-12-1 ATS in its last 19 games at home

10:30 PM
NEW MEXICO STATE vs. ARIZONA STATE
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of New Mexico State's last 6 games
New Mexico State is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Arizona State's last 5 games
Arizona State is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games

---------------------------------

NCAAF
Armadillo's Write-Up

Week 1

Thursday

Ohio State won its last 13 games with Indiana, but last two wins here were by only 7-3 points. Hoosiers covered last six series games. OSU has senior QB with 30 starts, an experienced OL with 80 career starts; Buckeyes are 9-9 as road favorites under Meyer. Indiana has senior QB with 13 starts; its OL has only 40 returning starts. Hoosiers are 12-9 vs spread in last 21 games as a home underdog

Last two years, MAC teams are 15-5-1 vs spread when facing Big 14 squads. Since 2013, Buffalo is 5-11 vs spread as road underdogs; since ’10, they’re 13-17 vs spread in non-MAC games. Bulls have a sop QB, 8 starters back on defense- their OL has 68 career starts. Minnesota has new coach Fleck; his Western Michigan team beat Buffalo 38-0 late last year. Gophers also have a new QB; last two years, they’re 2-8 vs spread as a home favorite.

Memphis has a senior QB (13 starts), an experienced OL with 103 returning starts; they’ve got 9 starters back on offense, but also have their AAC opener with Central Florida on deck. Tigers are 8-11 vs spread in last 19 games as a home favorite. UL-Monroe has 16 starters back and a senior QB; since 2011, they’re 19-15 as a road underdog. Last four years, Sun Belt teams are 7-6 vs spread when playing an AAC squad.

Arizona State is 17-9 vs spread as a home favorite under Graham; ASU has 13 starters back, but its OL has only 41 returning starts- their junior QB has 10 career starts. New Mexico State has 16 starters back, 9 on defense, a senior QB (25 starts), an OL with 43 career starts. Since 2013, Aggies are 8-15 vs spread as a road underdog. Sun Belt teams covered four of their last five matchups with Pac-12 squads.

Central Florida pounded Florida International 53-14 LY, outgaining FIU 501-189, year after they lost 15-14 to the Panthers. UCF has an experienced OL (101 returning starts) but only four starters back on defense- since 2010, they’re 23-14 vs spread as a home favorite. Knights play AAC rival Memphis next. FIU is 8-4-1 in last 13 games as a road underdog; they’ve got a new coach, a senior QB (31 starts) and 15 starters back overall (73 starts on OL). Last four years, AAC teams are 8-6 vs spread when playing a C-USA opponent.

--------------------------------

NCAAF
Dunkel

Week 1

Thursday, August 31

Ohio State @ Indiana

Game 133-134
August 31, 2017 @ 8:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Ohio State
Indiana
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Ohio State
by 18
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Ohio State
by 21
Dunkel Pick:
Indiana
(+21); Over

Buffalo @ Minnesota

Game 135-136
August 31, 2017 @ 7:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Buffalo
Minnesota
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Minnesota
by 23
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Minnesota
by 25
Dunkel Pick:
Buffalo
(+25); Under

LA-Monroe @ Memphis

Game 137-138
August 31, 2017 @ 9:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
LA-Monroe
Memphis
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Memphis
by 31 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Memphis
by 25 1/2
69 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Memphis
(-25 1/2); Under

New Mexico St @ Arizona State

Game 139-140
August 31, 2017 @ 10:30 pm

Dunkel Rating:
New Mexico St
Arizona State
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Arizona State
by 29
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Arizona State
by 23
71 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Arizona State
(-23); Over

FIU @ Central Florida

Game 169-170
August 31, 2017 @ 6:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
FIU
Central Florida
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Central Florida
by 14
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Central Florida
by 17 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
FIU
(+17 1/2); Under

Tulsa @ Oklahoma State

Game 199-200
August 31, 2017 @ 7:30 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Tulsa
Oklahoma State
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Oklahoma State
by 13 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Oklahoma State
by 18
73 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Tulsa
(+18); Under

Presbyterian @ Wake Forest

Game 215-216
August 31, 2017 @ 6:30 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Presbyterian
Wake Forest
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Wake Forest
by 43
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Wake Forest
by 40
43 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Wake Forest
(-40); Under

Austin Peay @ Cincinnati

Game 217-218

Dunkel Rating:
Austin Peay
Cincinnati
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Cincinnati
by 40 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Cincinnati
by 34 1/2
59 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Cincinnati
(-34 1/2); Over

Tennessee St @ Georgia State

Game 219-220

Dunkel Rating:
Tennessee St
Georgia State
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Georgia State
by 7
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Georgia State
by 14 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Tennessee St
(+14 1/2); Over

Elon @ Toledo

Game 221-222

Dunkel Rating:
Elon
Toledo
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Toledo
by 36
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Toledo
by 39
54 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Elon
(+39); Under

Rhode Island @ Central Michigan

Game 223-224

Dunkel Rating:
Rhode Island
Central Michigan
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Central Michigan
by 23 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Central Michigan
by 27
56 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Rhode Island
(+27); Over

Holy Cross @ Connecticut

Game 225-226

Dunkel Rating:
Holy Cross
Connecticut
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Connecticut
by 13 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Connecticut
by 21
46 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Holy Cross
(+21); Under

North Dakota @ Utah

Game 227-228

Dunkel Rating:
North Dakota
Utah
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Utah
by 27 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Utah
by 19 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Utah
(-19 1/2); Under

Florida A&M @ Arkansas

Game 229-230

Dunkel Rating:
Florida A&M
Arkansas
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Arkansas
by 51 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Arkansas
by 48 1/2
61 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Arkansas
(-48 1/2); Over

Sacramento St @ Idaho

Game 231-232
August 31, 2017 @ 9:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Sacramento St
Idaho
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Idaho
by 37
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Idaho
by 24 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Idaho
(-24 1/2); Over

Delaware St @ Delaware

Game 313-314

Dunkel Rating:
Delaware St
Delaware
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Delaware
by 31
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Delaware
by 34 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Delaware St
(+34 1/2); Under

Western Illinois @ Tennessee Tech

Game 315-316

Dunkel Rating:
Western Illinois
Tennessee Tech
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Western Illinois
Even
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Tennessee Tech
by 1 1/2
59 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Western Illinois
(+1 1/2); Over

Kennesaw St @ Samford

Game 317-318

Dunkel Rating:
Kennesaw St
Samford
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Samford
by 13
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Samford
by 8 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Samford
(-8 1/2); Over

Jacksonville @ Mercer

Game 323-324

Dunkel Rating:
Jacksonville
Mercer
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Mercer
by 25 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Mercer
by 20
64 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Mercer
(-20); Under

Eastern Illinois @ Indiana State

Game 327-328

Dunkel Rating:
Eastern Illinois
Indiana State
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Eastern Illinois
by 4
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Indiana State
by 1 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Eastern Illinois
(+1 1.2); Over

Maine @ New Hampshire

Game 331-332

Dunkel Rating:
Maine
New Hampshire
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Maine
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
New Hampshire
by 7 1/2
51 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Maine
(+7 1/2); Under

Duquesne @ South Dakota St

Game 333-334

Dunkel Rating:
Duquesne
South Dakota St
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
South Dakota St
by 25
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
South Dakota St
by 22 1/2
61 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
South Dakota St
(-22 1/2); Under

McNeese St @ Nicholls St

Game 335-336

Dunkel Rating:
McNeese St
Nicholls St
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
McNeese St
by 10 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
McNeese St
by 3 1/2
57 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
McNeese St
(-3 1/2); Over

Tokens
Week 11 CFL

Ottawa (3-6-1) @ Montreal (3-6)—
RedBlacks (-4.5) beat Montreal 24-19 at home in first meeting this season, despite giving up 517 yards of offense. Ottawa scored 37-31 points in winning its last two games, after a 1-6-1 start- they’re 1-3 on road, with only win at winless Hamilton. Under is 5-1-2 in their last eight games; they pushed the total the last two weeks. Montreal allowed 38-34 points in losing last two games; they’re 3-2 at home after last week’s home loss to Winnipeg. Under is 6-3 in Alouette games this season. RedBlacks won six of last seven series games; under is 7-3 in series games.

Winnipeg (7-2) @ Saskatchewan (4-4)— Roughriders scored 41-54 points in winning its last two games; they scored 38.7 pts/game in winning last three home games. Over is 3-1 in their home games. Winnipeg (-1) won 43-40 in OT in Regina in their first meeting, back in Week 2. Blue Bombers won last four series games overall; they’re 3-1 in last four visits to Saskatchewan. Winnipeg won its last five games, covered its last four; they’re 4-1 on road this year, with two OT wins- four of the five games were decided by exactly three points. Over is 7-2 in their games this year.

Edmonton (7-2) @ Calgary (7-1-1)—
Eskimos allowed 33-54 points in losing last two games after a 7-0 start that included five wins by 5 or less points. Edmonton is 3-1 on road, scoring 28.5 pts/game. Over is 5-1 in their last six games, 2-2 in their road tilts. Eskimos are 3-5 vs spread in their last eight visits here. Calgary swept Edmonton LY, 45-24/34-28 in OT; Stampeders are 14-3 in last 17 series games, with last three games going over the total. Calgary won/covered its last five games; they’re 4-0 at home, 3-1 vs spread, with wins by 4-17-59-16 points. Over is 5-4 in their games, 2-2 at home.

Toronto (4-6) @ Hamilton (0-8)— Weird week in Hamilton; June Jones is the new coach, but he tried to bring Art Briles in as an offensive assistant- that got vetoed by the CFL. Former Oregon QB Masoli gets nod here for Ti-Cats, who are 0-8 this year, 1-6-1 vs spread, with home losses by 15-3-27-19 points. Over is 5-2-1 in their games this season. Hamilton (-3.5) lost season opener in Toronto 32-15; they were outgunned 545-258. Argonauts lost four of last five games, including last four games on road. Under is 7-3 in Toronto games this season. Argonauts lost last five trips to Hamilton, losing by 1-16-30-3-13 points.

Tokens
Thursday's Best Bet
August 31, 2017

Thursday College Football Best Bet

#2 Ohio State vs. Indiana

HeritageSports.eu Odds: Ohio State (-21); Total set at 57

After watching teams from the other Power 5 conferences improve and/or test their stock right out of the gates in Week 1 of the season, the Big 10 decided to follow suit and give their schools the same opportunity. So while there still will be a few “cupcake” games for Big 10 programs in the following weeks, we've got plenty of the schools in the conference testing themselves against the likes of the Florida's and Texas' of the world here in Week 1.

But what may be the most intriguing matchup featuring Big 10 schools is the conference game they've got here with Ohio State in Indiana to take on the Hoosiers. Coming right out of the gate with a conference game is a big opportunity for both of these schools to get a leg up on their competition, but with Ohio State ranked #2 in the preseason polls, an Indiana win could come back to bite the entire conference in the ass.

Do the Hoosiers have what it takes to shock the college football landscape on opening night, of will Urban Meyer's Buckeyes squad put the rest of the college football world on notice?

If you don't take significant risks you aren't going to score significant rewards, and a year after having three teams hovering around the CFB playoff picture – and all three teams with strong cases for inclusion – the Big 10 decided to step up their scheduling this year and further up their profile with these tremendous Week 1 matchups.

Opening up the year with a conference game is going to feel a bit different for these players early on this evening, but as three-touchdown road favorites, Ohio State sees it as a tremendous opportunity to further their goal of getting back to the CFB playoff after last year's embarrassing 31-0 loss to Clemson in the semi-finals.

Yet, what makes tonight's Ohio State/Indiana conference tilt even more intriguing is the fact that new Ohio State offensive co-ordinator Kevin Wilson was fired from his head coaching position at Indiana last year. Wilson is known for his offensive mind as he loves to air the ball down the field, and his success offensively with Indiana over the past few years is a big reason why he found this OC position so quickly.

There is no doubt that Wilson is licking his chops at the potential for a little personal revenge tonight being on Ohio State's sideline, but Indiana also knows his “system” inside and out having practised against it for the past five years. That familiarity – for both sides – gives this game that little bit of extra edge, and from a football fan standpoint, it's an exciting battle to watch.

However, from a betting standpoint, the battle between Wilson and his new Ohio State offense against his old program is part of a situation that sets up well for plays on both the side and total. The other big part of that scenario is the fact that Ohio State has a huge game against #7 ranked Oklahoma next week and you know that Meyer and the Buckeyes aren't interested in putting too much of their stuff on film in one week if they don't have too.

That means that Ohio State may be looking to go into Indiana tonight, dominate early, establish a big lead, and then bleed the clock down and get the W. A game script like that is ripe for a backdoor cover from the Hoosiers who still have an explosive offense – at least on paper – and for as much as Wilson would love to stick it to his old program, Indiana would love to stick it to Wilson and his new program just as much.

The Hoosiers know they are the big underdogs here, but with all the excitement surrounding their first game, it being against the hated Buckeyes etc etc, they know they've got nothing to really lose here. Letting it all hang out against a top-ranked team in the nation would be a great start to 2017 for the Hoosiers, win or lose SU, and giving them three TD's here is too many points to pass up.

Finally, regarding the total, the fact that we've got co-ordinators/programs who are very familiar with one another, and a top team looking to stay as “basic” as possible to win and move on to a big game a week from now definitely lends itself to an 'under' wager.

Wilson's offensive system is known for lighting up scoreboards, but this is still the first week with it in Ohio State and there are sure to be some bumps along the way tonight. Indiana's offense won't be as feared without Wilson calling the shots, and as heavy home dogs, the Hoosiers won't be shy about keeping the ball on the ground and bleeding as much clock as they can to shorten the game.

There is no question that Ohio State will likely be a much more prolific and explosive offensive team this year, that should cash plenty of 'overs' but give Wilson and company a few weeks to work out all the kinks before you really start relying on Ohio State to cash those 'over' tickets.

HeritageSports.eu Best Bet: Indiana +21

Tokens
NCAAF's biggest betting mismatches: Week 1

Each week, Monty Andrews breaks down some of the underlying betting mismatches on the college football slate, giving you an inside edge when handicapping the schedule and setting your daily fantasy lineup.

Florida State Seminoles vs Alabama Crimson Tide (-7, 49.5)

Seminoles' unimpressive TO margin vs. Crimson Tide's ball-hawking prowess

There is no bigger game on the opening-week calendar than Saturday's tilt between the No. 3 Seminoles and the top-ranked Crimson Tide at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. And while the game is expected to be a tightly-contested affair - at least, relative to the rest of Alabama's schedule - both teams have advantages they will look to exploit in the season opener. One of the biggest ones, based on last year's performances, could put Florida State in a bad position this weekend.

The Seminoles were merely ordinary at taking care of the football last season, averaging 1.7 turnovers for and 1.6 turnovers against for a net differential of +0.1 - good for 51st in Division I. Florida State was even worse at taking care of the football late in the campaign, recording a net turnover differential of -4 over its last three games of the season. And while those miscues didn't prevent the Seminoles from an Orange Bowl victory, the story could be much different against the relentless Crimson Tide.

Alabama's regular-season turnover differential was elite - at 1.9 turnovers forced and 1.3 turnovers allowed, the Crimson Tide's +0.6 differential ranked 19th nationwide - but it was down the stretch when the Crimson Tide really flexed their muscles. 'Bama was sensational at ball control over the final three games of last season, forcing eight turnovers while committing zero. And if the turnover battle skews that way on Saturday night, the Crimson Tide should cruise.

Florida Gators vs Michigan Wolverines (-3.5, 45)

Gators' road third-down woes vs. Wolverines' stout D

Oddsmakers are expecting a low-scoring defensive showdown at AT&T Stadium this weekend in college football's other marquee matchup between the 16th-ranked Gators and No. 9 Wolverines. Florida's offense is in flux - surprise, surprise - and with question marks at quarterback and on the offensive line, there's no telling how well the Gators will be able to move the ball. If last season is any indication, Florida's punter might see a lot of screen time Saturday.

The Gators have struggled to find consistency at quarterback since Tim Tebow became a pro; four different quarterbacks have at least 100 pass attempts in two years with Jim McElwain at the helm. Florida's offensive struggles last season were summarized in how poorly the team performed on third down, converting at a pedestrian 41.7-percent clip. That rate drops even lower if you only count road games, with Florida making good on just 33.6 percent of third downs away from Gainesville.

That won't play well at all against Michigan. The Wolverines are set to build upon last year's promising start to the season - and atone for last year's crushing loss to Florida State in the Orange Bowl. The Wolverines were the stingiest team in the nation last year when it came to third-down conversion, allowing opponents to make good at an absurd 21 percent clip.

LSU Tigers at BYU Cougars (+14.5, 47.5)

Tigers' red-zone struggles vs. Cougars' downfield dominance

Coming off a solid showing in SEC play and a decisive win over Louisville in the Citrus Bowl, LSU opens its 2017 campaign as more than a two-touchdown favorite over a BYU team that kicked off its season last weekend with a one-sided victory over Portland State. Yet, while the Cougars aren't expected to put up much of a fight, they do own a decided advantage in red-zone play based on last year's results - and that could keep things closer than fans and oddsmakers expect.

The Tigers were slightly below average last season when it came to converting trips inside the opposition's 20-yard line into touchdowns or field goals, scoring points on five out of every six visits in games against fellow FBS opponents. It was a slight decrease from the 84.8-percent conversion rate LSU posted a season earlier. The 13th-ranked Tigers averaged 27.8 points per game last season, and will need to be sharper in the red zone if they hope to finish among the leaders in that category.

Perhaps LSU can learn a thing or two from its weekend opponent. The Cougars were one of the best teams in the country last season at turning red-zone trips into digits on the scoreboard, converting at a 95.9-percent rate; only Florida State was better. That is nothing new for BYU, which converted at a 93.6-percent clip in 2015. The Cougars are also elite at preventing red-zone scores, limiting teams to a 73.5-percent success rate - the eighth-best mark in Division I.

West Virginia Mountaineers vs Virginia Tech Hokies (-4, 51.5)

Mountaineers' ordinary pass protection vs. Hokies' sack-happy home D

This hotly anticipated matchup features two teams ranked in the top 25 who haven't faced each other in 12 years - and much of the focus will be on new Mountaineers' quarterback Will Grier, who last played with the Florida Gators in 2015. Grier looked good in Gainesville, but he had better hope his offensive line is better than it was last year. The Hokies boasted one of the best defenses in the nation in 2016.

The Mountaineers were an average pass-protection unit last season, ranking 63rd out of 128 qualifying teams in sacks allowed per game (2.1) in games against other FBS foes. They were worse down the stretch, giving up eight sacks over their final three games of the season - and now have to deal with the loss of All-American center Tyler Orlosky to the NFL. Grier will need to work fast or risk winding up on his back more than a couple of times Sunday night.

The Hokies defense will be licking its chops after putting together one of the most dominant showings in the nation last season. With a secondary ranked in the top five in Division I coming into the season, the Hokies are in great position to make life miserable for Grier and the rest of the West Virginia passing game.

Tokens
NCAAF

Thursday, August 31

Thursday's NCAAF Game of the Day: Ohio State at Indiana

Ohio State Buckeyes at Indiana Hoosiers (+21, 57)

Ohio State goes into another season with high expectations and will be tested right out of the gate on the road, as the second-ranked Buckeyes visit Indiana on Thursday for an early Big Ten matchup. J.T. Barrett returns at quarterback for Ohio State with Heisman Trophy aspirations after completing 61.5 percent of his passes, throwing for 24 touchdowns and running for nine scores last season.

“His accuracy and just his energy level now are incredible,” Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer told reporters of Barrett. “He’s providing that energy for everybody. He’s always done that, but … he’s got complete ownership of everything going on in that offense.” Tom Allen, who begins his first full season as coach at Indiana, hopes to end Ohio State’s 22-game winning streak in the series on the way to leading the Hoosiers to their third straight Bowl appearance. Indiana has the benefit of a productive senior quarterback in Richard Lagow (3,362 passing yards in 2016) and an All-American caliber senior linebacker in Tegray Scales (33.5 career tackles for loss). The Hoosiers will have to contain a talented Buckeyes offense that will be led by first-year offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson, who was fired as Indiana’s coach in December after going 26-47 over six years in Bloomington.

TV:
8 p.m. ET, ESPN.

LINE HISTORY:
The Buckeyes opened as 20.5-point favorites and by Wednesday evening that number was bumped slightly to 21. The total hit the betting boards at 53 and has been bet way up to 57.

INJURY REPORT:

Ohio State - WR T. Grimes (Probable, Knee), RB M. Weber (Probable, Hamstring), TE M. Baugh (Probable, Toe), QB J. Burrow (Out Indefinitely, Hand), TE A. Alexander (Out For Season, Knee), DT M. Hill (Out Indefinitely, Suspension).

Indiana - WR S. Cobbs Jr. (Questionable, Possible Suspension), DB B. Fitzgerald (Out For Season, Eligibility), DL N. Sykes (Out For Season, Undisclosed).

WEATHER REPORT:
Weather condition should be pretty good for football with cloudy skies and temperatures in the low-70's to upper-60's.

ABOUT OHIO STATE (2016: 11-2 SU, 6-7 ATS, 6-7 O/U):
Barrett rushed for 100 yards three times while throwing just seven interceptions last year, but he will have to be even better with the departure of his top three receivers from 2016. Parris Campbell could step up to a key swing role on offense and the Buckeyes will depend a lot on sophomore running back Mike Weber (1,096 yards, nine TDs), who is expected to play after being slowed by a hamstring injury in the preseason. Three high draft picks from the secondary must be replaced on a defense that is led by lineman Tyquan Lewis (eight sacks last year) as Ohio State opens the season against a Big Ten team for the first time since 1975.

ABOUT INDIANA (2016: 6-7 SU, 6-7 ATS, 4-9 O/U):
Allen will be looking for more efficiency from Lagow, who completed 57.8 percent of his passes in 2016 and had 19 touchdown tosses but also threw 17 interceptions - four in his last two games. The Hoosiers do not have a running back returning that gained at least 250 yards, although they have a talented receiving corps that is led by junior Nick Westbrook (54 catches, 995 yards, six TDs in 2016). The status of junior Simmie Cobbs, who missed most of last season with an injury after registering 1,035 yards on 60 catches in 2015, is uncertain for the opener after he was arrested last month.

TRENDS:

* Buckeyes are 2-7 ATS in their last 9 games overall.
* Hoosiers are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 home games.
* Over is 4-1 in Buckeyes last 5 games on fieldturf.
* Under is 7-3 in Hoosiers last 10 games overall.
* Underdog is 6-0 ATS in their last 6 meetings.

CONSENSUS:
The road chalk Buckeyes are picking up 62 percent of the action from Covers users and the Over is picking up 67 percent of the totals wagers.

Tokens
THURSDAY, AUGUST 31

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

FIU at UCF 06:00 PM

UCF -17.0

O 56.0

BUFF at MINN 07:00 PM

BUFF +24.0

O 50.0

TLSA at OKST 07:30 PM

OKST -17.5

U 69.5

UND at UTAH 07:30 PM

UTAH -20.5

OSU at IND 08:00 PM

IND +20.5

O 56.0

ULM at MEM 09:00 PM

ULM +25.0

O 63.0

NMSU at ASU 10:30 PM

NMSU +22.5

O 70.0

Tokens
Henderson, Memphis run past Louisiana Monroe 37-29
August 31, 2017

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) Darrell Henderson rushed for 169 yards and two long touchdowns, and Tony Pollard returned a kickoff 99 yards to lead Memphis to a 37-29 win over Louisiana Monroe in the season opener on Thursday night.

Henderson, who had just 12 carries, scored from 55 and 63 yards. Patrick Taylor had a 66-yard touchdown and finished with 131 yards on 15 carries. Both backs were at 106 yards at halftime, the first time either sophomore has topped 100 yards.

Henderson, Taylor and quarterback Riley Ferguson had rushing touchdowns for a 20-7 halftime lead before Pollard opened the second half with his school record third kickoff return. It was the second-longest in school history after his 100-yarder last year.

Memphis finished with 416 total yards, 319 on the ground but just 72 in the second half.

Warhawks quarterbacks Caleb Evans and Garrett Smith each threw for a late fourth-quarter touchdown but after each one, Memphis recovered the onside kick to run time off the clock and squelch the comeback.

Memphis picked up its fourth straight season-opening win on the ninth birthday of the Bengal Tiger mascot Tom III.

No. 2 Ohio State pulls away to beat Indiana 49-21
August 31, 2017

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) J.K. Dobbins wanted to give his fans back in Texas something to cheer about.

His Ohio State teammates and Buckeyes fans jumped right on board.

The freshman broke a 15-year-old school record by rushing for 181 yards in his college debut, J.T. Barrett threw three touchdown passes and No. 2 Ohio State managed to pull away in the second half for a 49-21 victory over Indiana on Thursday night.

''I'm probably the only good thing going on in my town right now, so I just thought of it as bringing my city up,'' Dobbins said after spending the past week watching the flooding in the Houston area. ''That's why I came out and played hard like that.''

This was more than just a coming-out party.

Dobbins carried 29 times and broke Maurice Clarett's previous debut mark of 175 yards set in 2002. Afterward, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer even compared Dobbins to former Ohio State star Ezekiel Elliott.

That's a pretty good start for the guy who missed all but one play last season at LaGrange High school and started in place of Mike Weber, the Buckeyes' top runner in 2016, who sat out with a hamstring injury.

''Not surprised at all,'' Meyer said. ''I had kind of tempered my emotions with you guys early on, but we've seen that since spring practice.''

Dobbins didn't just put up numbers.

His long runs in the second quarter finally got the slow-starting Buckeyes moving and his ability to sustain those runs in the second half helped Ohio State score the last 28 points to put away their 23rd consecutive win in the series.

He also ruined Indiana's big plans for what had been billed as the biggest opener in school history - a nationally televised game with ESPN's ''College GameDay'' crew in town.

The Hoosiers controlled most of the first half and led 21-20 late in the third quarter. But they couldn't finish the upset in Tom Allen's first home game as the Hoosiers head coach.

''The bottom line is that for 2 1/2 quarters, we went toe-to-toe with them,'' Allen said. ''We were leading and weren't able to finish, so that's on me. We can talk about breaking through and I'm not going to quit talking about it because breaking through is not one game.'''

Barrett overcame a slow start to finish 20 of 35 for 304 yards. He added 61 yards rushing and another score to move within two touchdowns of matching Drew Brees' Big Ten career record for total touchdowns (106).

But Ohio State didn't reach the end zone until Antonio Williams' 1-yard plunge with 5:17 left in the first half and couldn't retake the lead until Barrett's 2-yard scoring run midway through the third quarter. Parris Campbell's 74-yard TD reception form Barrett made it 27-21 and, thanks to Dobbins, the Buckeyes never trailed again.

''I kind of knew I was going to do what I did,'' Dobbins said.

Indiana quarterback Richard Lagow was 40 of 65 with 410 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions. He also broke Ben Chappell's school record for pass attempts of 64 set in 2010 against Michigan, and finished with the school's second-highest completions total in one game.

THE TAKEAWAY

Ohio State: The Buckeyes avoided a double dose of danger - winning a rare conference opener in Week 1 and getting a road win, too.

Indiana: No, the Hoosiers didn't end the losing streak. But it wasn't a total loss. They sold out Memorial Stadium and were competitive on an entertaining night.

KEY NUMBERS

Ohio State: Meyer is 16-0 all-time in season openers. The Buckeyes finished with 596 total yards, 292 on the ground, and forced three turnovers. Campbell had six catches for 136 yards.

Indiana: The biggest problem was rushing, where the Hoosiers had 27 carries for 17 yards. Receiver Simmi Cobbs Jr. had a career-high 11 catches for 149 yards and one TD. Luke Timian had 10 receptions for 72 yards.

CORSO HOISTED

ESPN broadcaster Lee Corso got a lift, literally, from his former players after receiving Indiana's Bill Orwig Award, which recognizes outstanding contributions to the university by a non-alum.

After a video played and he was presented with a plaque, the players gathered round and hoisted him on their shoulders. Corso coached the Hoosiers from 1973-82 and led the Hoosiers to their first bowl win - 38-37 over No. 9 Brigham Young in the 1979 Holiday Bowl. He was inducted into school's Hall of Fame in 2010.

UP NEXT

Ohio State: Heads home Sept. 9 for an even tougher matchup against No. 7 Oklahoma.

Indiana: Travels to Virginia on Sept. 9.

Tokens
Rudolph leads Okie State past Tulsa
August 31, 2017

STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) Mason Rudolph launched his Heisman campaign with a nearly flawless performance.

The senior quarterback passed for 303 yards and three touchdowns and ran for another score to help 10th-ranked Oklahoma State beat Tulsa 59-24 on Thursday night. He was 20 of 24 with no interceptions.

''We knew we had a good game plan going in,'' Rudolph said. ''They brought a lot of pressure, and I think we combated it well.''

Rudolph joined Brandon Weeden as the only Cowboys quarterbacks to surpass 9,000 yards in career passing.

Preseason AP All-American James Washington caught six passes for 145 yards, including touchdown receptions of 77 and 40 yards.

Justice Hill ran for 132 yards and a touchdown, J.D. King had 95 yards and a score and LD Brown added 92 and a touchdown for the Cowboys, who are in the preseason Top 10 for the third time in school history.

''We have a long ways to go, but we had a good start,'' Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said.

Oklahoma State led 21-0 at the end of the first quarter and 38-17 at halftime. The Cowboys gained 640 total yards.

''Scoring early, scoring often is something we haven't done in the past,'' Rudolph said. ''We would kind of sputter in the first quarter. I was happy with the way we jumped on them quick, I don't think it could have started any better.''

Tulsa's Chad President got the start over Luke Skipper and passed for 178 yards and ran for 69. Corey Taylor II ran for 111 yards and two touchdowns. D'Angelo Brewer, who ran for more than 1,400 yards last season, finished with 33 yards on 22 carries.

Tulsa gained 432 total yards, but much of that damage came in the second half and didn't lead to points.

''I'm proud of our guys continuing to fight and grind,'' Tulsa coach Philip Montgomery said. ''You know, we're young, but that's not an excuse. We've got to step up and be ready to play. We'll go back and look at this tape and get an opportunity to correct those mistakes.''

---

TAKEAWAYS

TULSA: The Golden Hurricane are down several notches from the squad that went 10-3 last season and beat Central Michigan 55-10 in the Miami Beach Bowl. Neither quarterback is ready to replace Dane Evans, but President showed good pocket presence and created problems with his speed.

OKLAHOMA STATE:

The Cowboys, wary of home upsets after last year's stunning loss to Central Michigan, were never in danger in this one. Oklahoma State rushed for 332 yards on 37 carries to balance its dynamic passing attack.

POLL IMPLICATIONS

The Cowboys did nothing to hurt their standing. They were a solid favorite, and they handled business against an overmatched opponent.

OOPS MOMENT

Early in the second quarter, Oklahoma State's Jalen McCleskey fielded a punt inside the Cowboys' 10-yard line. Rob Riederer forced him to fumble, and Adam Higuera recovered in the end zone for Tulsa's first touchdown.

''McCleskey knows better than that,'' Gundy said. ''His ball security was absolutely terrible, and that's something that we'll continue to work on.''

NITPICKING

Rudolph made one mistake, and it was costly. Tulsa's Kolton Shindelar hit him and he fumbled at the 50-yard line. Petera Wilson, Jr., recovered and ran it back 26 yards. Tulsa got a field goal out of it.

''He has to stay in his world,'' Gundy said. ''That's not in his world. Just play in your world and throw the ball away. We have three more downs with seven good receivers.''

GREAT AWARENESS

In the third quarter, President fumbled and Oklahoma State's Kenneth Edison-McGruder ran it back 82 yards for a touchdown. It was the fourth-longest fumble return in school history.

MILESTONE

Washington surpassed 3,000 career yards receiving. He now has 3,068 and remains in fourth place on the school list behind Rashaun Woods, Justin Blackmon and Hart Lee Dykes.

UP NEXT

TULSA: The Golden Hurricane host Louisiana on Sept. 9.

OKLAHOMA ST: The Cowboys play at South Alabama on Sept. 8. Oklahoma State will play its first Saturday game in Week 3 at Pittsburgh.

Tokens
Minnesota wins, but Buffalo cashes
August 31, 2017

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) P.J. Fleck led his players in a pregame sprint out of the tunnel , with a vintage late-summer evening sky framing his first game as Minnesota's coach.

The Gophers started fast, too, with Tyler Johnson's 61-yard reception from Conor Rhoda - one of two first-quarter touchdowns.

The rest of the game was a slow drag to the finish, which was just fine with Fleck.

Johnson had 141 yards on six catches, all in the first half to match his 2016 season total, and the Gophers grinded out a 17-7 victory over Buffalo in the season opener and Fleck's debut on Thursday night.

''You better always appreciate a win,'' Fleck said, ''no matter how you get it.''

Rhoda started the game and went 12 for 21 for 176 yards, but he threw an interception in the end zone in the second quarter. Croft rushed six times for 32 yards and completed 7 of 11 passes for 63 yards. Neither quarterback stood out from the other in spring or fall practice. The tandem will remain in place for now.

''How they managed and ran the game, I was proud of them,'' said Fleck, who vowed not to make emotional decisions about who was in or out and stick to the prescribed plan for splitting playing time between the two.

Emmit Carpenter missed two of his three field-goal tries for the Gophers, but Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks were able to find enough running room to wear down the Bulls and run out the clock. Brooks scored on a short run near the end of the first quarter.

''It was really just a stalemate up front,'' Croft said.

JOHNSON EMERGES

After playing quarterback at Minneapolis North High School, Johnson switched to wide receiver as a freshman and showed some flashes of promise. Fleck and wide receivers coach Matt Simon have raved about his progress this year.

''The kid comes to play when the lights are on,'' Rhoda said.

BULLISH

Anthony Johnson gave the Gophers secondary trouble with 11 grabs for 140 yards, including a 50-yard completion that set up his 16-yard touchdown catch from Tyree Jackson on the next play for the Bulls to tie the game late in the first quarter.

The 6-foot-7, 245-pound Jackson finished 22 for 42 for 211 yards and one interception. Khalil Hodge had 20 tackles, the most by a Buffalo player in nine years. The Bulls dropped to 0-8 in their history against Big Ten teams.

''We're all upset in the locker room,'' Jackson said. ''We didn't come here to show up and play against Minnesota. We came here to win.''

WINFIELD SHINES

The Gophers have relied heavily on their defense this decade, and that could be the case again this year despite the departure of several starters. The Gophers forced eight punts and held the Bulls to 51 yards on 22 rushes, with seven tackles, a sack, a blocked field goal and two pass breakups by safety Antoine Winfield Jr.

''Gosh, is he special,'' Fleck said.

FOR STARTERS

Fleck became the first Gophers head coach to win his first game with the program since John Gutekunst beat Bowling Green on Sept. 13, 1986. Jim Wacker (1992), Glen Mason (1997), Tim Brewster (2007), Jeff Horton (2010 interim), Jerry Kill (2011) and Tracy Claeys (2015 interim) all lost.

THE TAKEAWAY

Buffalo: After finishing 2-10 in coach Lance Leipold's second season with a freshman quarterback in Jackson, the Bulls are bound to be better this year. For a team that has produced only two winning seasons in 18 years at the FBS level, a competitive display like this can't be discounted.

''We took a big step forward as a program in what we're hoping to develop, as far as playing with a relentless type of attitude,'' Leipold said.

Minnesota: The Gophers just needed to win this game and get it out of the way, to reduce the pressure on their inexperienced quarterbacks and make sure Fleck wasn't embarrassed with a loss against a lower-tier opponent in his Big Ten debut . Starting with the blocking up front, the offense has a lot of work to do.

UP NEXT

Buffalo: The Bulls play at Army next weekend. The Black Knights are coming off an 8-5 season, their first winning record since 2010.

Minnesota: The Gophers ought to have a tougher time next weekend in their first visit to Oregon State in program history. The Beavers are 11-25 over the last three years but they played a competitive game in Minnesota last season, losing 30-23.

Tokens
Huntley leads Utah to 37-16 win over North Dakota
August 31, 2017

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) Zack Moss has seen this before.

The sophomore running back started in the Utah backfield alongside sophomore quarterback Tyler Huntley, his Hallandale (Fla.) high school teammate, and the pair shined in the Utes' season opener on Thursday night.

Huntley threw for 227 yards, rushed for 70 and accounted for three touchdowns as the Utes overwhelmed FCS North Dakota 37-16.

''It was great, bringing back some memories,'' Moss said. ''We've been doing it since high school, so it was kind of familiar to me.''

Utah debuted its new fast-paced, pass-first, spread offense with first-year offensive coordinator Troy Taylor and the difference was apparent from the start.

''Oh no, no nerves,'' Huntley said with a smile. ''We all just had to adjust at the beginning and then we started playing from there.

''During practice (Darren Carrington and I) had a lot of plays set up where we were connecting together. We just came out and performed today.''

Huntley had his mistakes with some bad decisions and some errant throws, but he repeatedly made plays with his arms and legs and posted career-highs in passing and rushing yards. Moss finished with a career-high 128 yards rushing and a touchdown on 22 carries. Oregon transfer Darren Carrington had 10 receptions for 127 yards and a touchdown.

''I liked the play-calling,'' Whittingham said. ''Thought the play selection was very good, was very balanced. That's Troy's deal. He's a guy that's going to take what the defense gives him. Our O-line pushed them around a bit in the run game.''

The Utes scheme is designed to throw early and often, but Taylor has insisted the run game will be a big component. Utah ran for 272 yards.

North Dakota quarterback Keaton Studsrud threw for 175 yards and a touchdown. The run game was bottled up for 51 yards.

''One thing I ask our team to do is play hard for 60 minutes and I think our guys did that tonight,'' North Dakota coach Bubba Schweigert said. ''We can execute better. On the defensive side, we obviously had a tough matchup with Carrington. He hurt us.

''We always want to tackle better. ... Then, offensively, we wanted to run the ball with more consistency, but we knew that would be a challenge coming into the game.''

TAKEAWAYS

NORTH DAKOTA: The Fighting Hawks simply didn't have the speed or the size to really threaten Utah, but they were hung around into the fourth quarter when they trailed by just 11 in the final 15 minutes. Coaches should be pleased with the overall effort against a more talented and deeper team.

''You got to be mentally sound when you're going up against guys like that, being bigger and faster,'' Studsrud said. ''You've got to out-execute them.''

''It was tough. They've got those guys up front that are (going to be) playing in the NFL on Sundays.''

UTAH: Gone was the grind-it-out rushing attack that has been a staple of 13-year coach Kyle Whittingham as the Utes were in three- and four-receiver sets much of the game. Taylor picked Huntley to start his first game and direct the scheme over returning senior starter and two-time captain Troy Williams due to the sophomore's dual-threat ability - which was on display. There remains plenty of room to grow as several would-be touchdown drives stalled and turned into field goals.

''It showcases, not just me very well,'' Carrington said about the offense. ''With Zack and Tyler, it's just too many weapons. All the defenses are going to have to pick their poison on which one to stop.''

INJURY UPDATE

Utah running back Armand Shyne was seen on the sideline with a cast covering his left forearm and wrist. Whittingham announced during camp that Shyne was out for a significant amount of time with an undisclosed injury. The junior was in competition to be the starter before the injury.

Chase Hansen started at strong safety and played throughout the game despite being a game-time decision with an undisclosed injury. The Utes do not typically announce injury details unless it is season ending.

SLOPPY

Utah had the 12th most penalty yards in school history with 139 yards on 11 flags.

HURRY UP

The Pac-12 has instituted a test program during nonconference games to help speed up the game. Thursday's game implemented three of four of those measures. There were reduced breaks in between the first and second quarters and the third and fourth quarters. The game featured adjusted commercial breaks aimed at reducing four minutes of time. Kickoff was mandated to be one minute after the scheduled start of the game. The final measure is to reduce halftime from 20 minutes to 15 minutes, but both teams must agree. Utah officials said North Dakota did not agree to that adjustment.

UP NEXT

North Dakota returns to FCS action when it hosts Missouri State on Sept. 9.

Utah travels to face rival BYU on Sept. 9. The Utes have won six straight against the Cougars.

Tokens
CFB Aug/Sept Best Bets:

DATE W-L-T % UNITS RECORD

08/31/2017 9-4-0 69.23% +23.00

08/26/2017 5-5-0 50.00% -2.50

Totals:..............14 - 9........60.86%....+20.50

Tokens
Friday’s six-pack

— Celtics sent Cleveland a 2nd-round pick in 2020 to complete the Kyrie Irving trade, so that is official now.

— All nine hitters who started for the Texas Rangers Wednesday night have 15+ homers.

— Brandon Phillips banked a $500K bonus when he got traded to the Angels last night.

— Angels moved Cameron Maybin to Houston today, then acquired Justin Upton from Detroit, before acquiring Phillips.

— Florida Gators have 10 players suspended for its football season opener against Michigan that is being played in Dallas Saturday afternoon.

— Ironic that Matt Harvey is pitching for the Mets in Houston Saturday, after Hurricane Harvey devastated Harris County and much of the gulf coast this week.

Friday’s List of 13: Random stuff with weekend here……..

13) JJ Watt is a great American; his fundraising efforts for the people in Houston have gone over the $13M mark. He is setting an example for other public figures on how to deal with a tragedy.

12) There are many images from Texas that are very sad, but the clip on the Interweb of the man playing the piano in his flooded home is just unspeakably sad. It is on CNN’s website and other places. You wonder how long it’ll take for these people’s lives to return to some kind of normalcy.

11) Astros acquired Justin Verlander from Detroit last night for three minor leaguers. Houston desperately needed a top-flight starting pitcher.

10) Ohio State 49, Indiana 21- Hoosiers led 21-20 in third quarter, before reality set in.

Indiana fired Lee Corso as its football coach after the 1982 season; last night was the first time since then that coach Corso saw the Hoosiers play in person.

9) Milwaukee’s Keon Broxton made a game-ending, HR-robbing catch over the CF fence to end the Brewers’ 6-5 win over St Louis Wednesday. If Milwaukee makes the playoffs, that catch is going to be a big reason why.

7) Joey Votto recently walked eight times in two games, making him only the second player since 1984 to do that— Bryce Harper is the other.

6) San Jose State basketball transfer Brandon Clarke (17 pts, 8 reb/game LY) bolts to Gonzaga, because nowaways, thats where all the transfers on the west coast go. Gonzaga or Nevada.

5) White Sox traded P Miguel Gonzalez to Texas last night.

4) Blue Jays 11, Orioles 8— Kendrys Morales hit three homers for Toronto.

3) I’m surprised/disappointed that Jeff Fisher hasn’t surfaced as a TV analyst. He doesn’t need the money but would be curious to hear what he has to say.

2) There are already 1,855 entries to this year’s SuperContest at the Westgate SuperBook in Las Vegas; the previous record for entries was 1,854, set last year. Deadline is September 9, so it is likely that first place this season will be over $1M.

1) RIP to coach Rollie Massimino 82, who won the last college basketball game played without a shot clock, Villanova’s upset of Georgetown in the 1985 national title game.

Tokens
Friday, September 1

CHARLOTTE (4 - 8) at E MICHIGAN (7 - 6) - 9/1/2017, 6:30 PM
E MICHIGAN is 22-40 ATS (-22.0 Units) in non-conference games since 1992.

E MICHIGAN is 1-0 against the spread versus CHARLOTTE over the last 3 seasons
E MICHIGAN is 1-0 straight up against CHARLOTTE over the last 3 seasons
1 of 1 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

WASHINGTON (12 - 2) at RUTGERS (2 - 10) - 9/1/2017, 7:00 PM
RUTGERS is 8-23 ATS (-17.3 Units) as an underdog of 21.5 to 31 points since 1992.

WASHINGTON is 1-0 against the spread versus RUTGERS over the last 3 seasons
WASHINGTON is 1-0 straight up against RUTGERS over the last 3 seasons
1 of 1 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

NAVY (9 - 5) at FLA ATLANTIC (3 - 9) - 9/1/2017, 8:00 PM
NAVY is 160-119 ATS (+29.1 Units) in all games since 1992.
NAVY is 160-119 ATS (+29.1 Units) in all lined games since 1992.
NAVY is 77-39 ATS (+34.1 Units) in road games since 1992.
NAVY is 77-39 ATS (+34.1 Units) in road lined games since 1992.
NAVY is 22-10 ATS (+11.0 Units) against Conference USA opponents since 1992.
NAVY is 71-40 ATS (+27.0 Units) in road games in games played on a grass field since 1992.
NAVY is 77-42 ATS (+30.8 Units) in road games in non-conference games since 1992.
FLA ATLANTIC is 2-10 ATS (-9.0 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
FLA ATLANTIC is 2-10 ATS (-9.0 Units) in all lined games over the last 2 seasons.
FLA ATLANTIC is 0-6 ATS (-6.6 Units) in home games over the last 2 seasons.
FLA ATLANTIC is 0-6 ATS (-6.6 Units) in home lined games over the last 2 seasons.
FLA ATLANTIC is 0-7 ATS (-7.7 Units) in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.

UTAH ST (3 - 9) at WISCONSIN (11 - 3) - 9/1/2017, 9:00 PM

BOSTON COLLEGE (7 - 6) at N ILLINOIS (5 - 7) - 9/1/2017, 8:00 PM

N ILLINOIS is 1-0 against the spread versus BOSTON COLLEGE over the last 3 seasons
BOSTON COLLEGE is 1-0 straight up against N ILLINOIS over the last 3 seasons
1 of 1 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

COLORADO ST (7 - 6) vs. COLORADO (10 - 4) - 9/1/2017, 8:00 PM
COLORADO ST is 11-3 ATS (+7.7 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO ST is 11-3 ATS (+7.7 Units) in all lined games over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO ST is 8-1 ATS (+6.9 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest over the last 2 seasons.

COLORADO is 1-0 against the spread versus COLORADO ST over the last 3 seasons
COLORADO is 2-0 straight up against COLORADO ST over the last 3 seasons
2 of 2 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

Friday, September 1

6:00 PM
FORDHAM vs. ARMY
Fordham is 3-9 SU in its last 12 games
Fordham is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games on the road
Army is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
Army is 3-6 ATS in its last 9 games at home

6:30 PM
CHARLOTTE vs. EASTERN MICHIGAN
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Charlotte's last 7 games
Charlotte is 6-13-3 ATS in its last 22 games
Eastern Michigan is 7-16 SU in its last 23 games
The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Eastern Michigan's last 11 games

CEN. CONNECTICUT ST vs. SYRACUSE
No trends available
Syracuse is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Syracuse's last 7 games

COLORADO STATE vs. COLORADO
Colorado State is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games when playing Colorado
The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Colorado State's last 9 games when playing Colorado
The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Colorado's last 10 games
Colorado is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games

NAVY vs. FLORIDA ATLANTIC
The total has gone OVER in 7 of Navy's last 10 games
Navy is 11-5 SU in its last 16 games on the road
Florida Atlantic is 0-4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Florida Atlantic's last 6 games at home

WASHINGTON vs. RUTGERS
Washington is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Washington's last 5 games
Rutgers is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
Rutgers is 3-7 ATS in its last 10 games at home

UTAH STATE vs. WISCONSIN
Utah State is 0-5 ATS in its last 5 games
Utah State is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Wisconsin's last 5 games
Wisconsin is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games

9:30 PM
BOSTON COLLEGE vs. NORTHERN ILLINOIS
Boston College is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
Boston College is 7-14 SU in its last 21 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Northern Illinois's last 5 games at home
Northern Illinois is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games

Friday

Eastern Michigan was 7-6 LY, after being 7-41 the previous four years; Eagles have a senior QB with 23 starts but its whole OL has only 26 starts returning. Since 2007, EMU is 3-10 vs spread as a home favorite- they’ve got 16 starters back overall. Charlotte is 5-6-1 as a road underdog, 2-5 in last seven non-league games. 49ers have a junior QB with seven starts, an OL with 47 returning starts. Charlotte has 12 starters back overall. Last two years, MAC teams are 10-3-1 vs spread when facing teams from C-USA.

Washington is +35 in turnovers in its last 41 games; their OL has 97 returning starts- since 2014, they’re 6-3 as a road favorite. Huskies have a junior QB with 26 starts. Washington does not have a Pac-12 game for three weeks. Rutgers is 4-6 vs spread in its last ten games as a home underdog; their OL has 42 returning starts. Scarlet Knights have two QB’s with some experience to choose from. Since 2013, Big 14 teams are 15-10-1 vs spread when playing Pac-12 teams.

Lane Kiffin makes his Florida Atlantic home debut against 15-point road favorite Navy, which is 5-1 vs spread in last six games as a road favorite. Middies have only 4 starters back on offense, 8 on defense; their junior QB has two career starts. FAU has 17 starters back; their OL has 83 returning starts, Owls covered once in their last seven games as a home underdog. Kendall Briles is FAU’s offensive coordinator; Owls are going to throw the ball a lot.

Wisconsin has a soph QB (9 starts) but has an experienced OL with 4 starters back (90 career starts). Since 2014, Badgers are 8-10-1 vs spread as a home favorite- they’ve got 15 starters back overall. Utah State has only 10 starters back but their senior QB has 25 career starts. Aggies are 5-9 vs spread as road underdogs under Wells. USU has only ten starters back, five on both sides of the ball. Let four years, Big 14 teams are 12-9 vs spread when playing a team from the Mountain West.

Friday, September 1

Charlotte @ Eastern Michigan

Game 141-142
September 1, 2017 @ 6:30 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Charlotte
Eastern Michigan
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Eastern Michigan
by 5
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Eastern Michigan
by 14
56 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Charlotte
(+14); Over

Washington @ Rutgers

Game 143-144
September 1, 2017 @ 8:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Washington
Rutgers
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Washington
by 26 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Washington
by 28
Dunkel Pick:
Rutgers
(+28); Under

Navy @ Florida Atlantic

Game 145-146

Dunkel Rating:
Navy
Florida Atlantic
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Navy
by 26
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Navy
by 10
Dunkel Pick:
Navy
(-10); Over

Utah State @ Wisconsin

Game 147-148
September 1, 2017 @ 9:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Utah State
Wisconsin
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Wisconsin
by 34 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Wisconsin
by 27
Dunkel Pick:
Wisconsin
(-27); Under

Boston College @ Northern Illinois

Game 149-150
September 1, 2017 @ 9:30 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Boston College
Northern Illinois
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Boston College
by 8 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Boston College
by 3
Dunkel Pick:
Boston College
(-3); Under

Colorado State @ Colorado

Game 151-152

Dunkel Rating:
Colorado State
Colorado
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Colorado
by 12 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Colorado
by 5
Dunkel Pick:
Colorado
(-5); Over

Fordham @ Army

Game 233-234
September 1, 2017 @ 6:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Fordham
Army
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Army
by 18
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Army
by 14
Dunkel Pick:
Army
(-14); Under

Central Connecticut @ Syracuse

Game 235-236
September 1, 2017 @ 7:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Central Connectic
Syracuse
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Syracuse
by 39
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Syracuse
by 41
62 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Central Connectic
(+41); Under

Tokens
RILEY RESET: Huskers' fresh start begins with Arkansas St.
September 1, 2017

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) Even though Mike Riley is beginning his third year at Nebraska, there's a sense around the program that 2017 represents a new start.

Riley finally has the pro-style quarterback he prefers in Tanner Lee . He has a new defense, with first-year coordinator Bob Diaco switching from the 4-3 to 3-4 base alignment. Besides Diaco, there are two other new assistants.

What haven't changed are the expectations. Riley won six games in 2015 and nine last season, and he knows backsliding in the quest to overtake Wisconsin in the Big Ten West would test the fan base's patience.

''There are a lot of new things on the horizon,'' Riley said. ''We are excited and optimistic and feel good about all the preparation, and now we have to go out and prove it week by week.''

The Cornhuskers open Saturday night against Arkansas State, which has won two straight Sun Belt Conference titles and is the only FBS program with five league championships over the last six years. The Red Wolves bounced back from an 0-4 start to win eight of their last nine, including a Cure Bowl victory over UCF. They bring back Sun Belt defensive player of the year Ja'Von Rolland-Jones and quarterback Justice Hansen among nine starters.

''They are pretty dynamic on offense, their quarterback is really talented,'' nose tackle Mick Stoltenberg said. ''Their offensive line is rebuilt but we've heard good things about them. It's definitely not someone we are going to overlook.''

Nebraska has won 19 straight night games at Memorial Stadium and come in as a 16-point favorite.

''There's a reason why they have those (point) spreads. That's someone's opinion,'' said Trooper Taylor, Arkansas State's assistant head coach and cornerbacks coach. ''You still have to play the game... You've seen their size on defense, on offense, in the line position. You'll be wondering why we came out of the tunnel, because they're huge. But we look forward to the challenge.''

Some things to watch in the third meeting of the teams since 2009:

TOUGH AT HOME

Nebraska was one of five FBS teams to go 7-0 or better at home last season, and its seven-game home win streak is tied for fifth nationally. The Huskers have won 30 of 31 season openers, the only loss coming to BYU on a last-play Hail Mary in 2015.

THESE GUYS CAN CATCH

Stanley Morgan Jr. and De'Mornay Pierson-El are the Huskers' top returning receivers. Tight end Tyler Hoppes and slot receiver JD Spielman are new names to know. Hoppes transferred from Division II Wayne State in northeast Nebraska and originally was a defensive end for the Huskers. Mostly a special teams player in 2016, he blossomed in the spring and became one of Lee's favorite targets. Spielman redshirted last season and established himself as a scout-team playmaker as a receiver and return man.

SACK MAN

Arkansas State's Rolland-Jones, who lines up as the weakside defensive end, has a Sun Belt-record 30.5 career sacks and is within 13.5 of tying the FBS record held by Terrell Suggs of Arizona State (2000-02). Rolland-Jones and Chris Odom, now with the Atlanta Falcons, were a formidable pass-rush duo last year, combining for 25.5 sacks.

''I want my senior year to be just like his or better,'' Rolland-Jones said. ''I think I exceeded what I thought my career would be. I didn't think I was going to get all these records.''

GOING FOR 3 IN A ROW

Nebraska won the two previous meetings with the Red Wolves. The Huskers never trailed in the first two games, winning 38-9 in 2009 and 42-13 in 2012.

RALLYING AROUND COACH'S WIFE

Red Wolves coach Blake Anderson tweeted Thursday that his wife, Wendy, is cancer-free. She had been diagnosed with breast cancer in April and had surgery in Memphis, Tennessee, on Monday.

Taylor had asked for players and staff members to stop what they were doing at 12:30 that afternoon to say a prayer for the Andersons. A school spokesman said Wendy hoped to make the trip to Lincoln.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herbalinfusion
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com