Are one-a-day vitamins worth taking?

Search

MLB Junkie
Tokens
I have a degree in the health field and they always said that if you aren't getting the proper nutrients then multivitamins do serve a purpose and that you NEED to eat with them or they will not work.

Is this not true? Can our body not break down correctly a "vitamin from walmart"....really?

Handicapper
Tokens
All anyone really knows is we are all gonna die regardless.

I mean its its bealthy this and that, and here are my grand folks living in their 90's still cooking with straight up lard...country folks can survive.

Actually I've seen a new study that says very soon doctors may be able to suspend death indefinitely. :grandmais

Handicapper
Tokens
Actually I've seen a new study that says very soon doctors may be able to suspend death indefinitely. :grandmais
Haha, all good, I believe in reincarnation, and cannot wait till the days of being a cat. Since I will then have 9 lives on top of that, I think I'm good to go...

MLB Junkie
Tokens
My great aunt is 97, and still chews plug tobacco. It's hard not to giggle when she spits in the spittoon she keeps by her chair. If she quit now, it'd probably kill her Almaty instantly...

haha a chew a 97...nice...

Handicapper
Tokens
I have a degree in the health field and they always said that if you aren't getting the proper nutrients then multivitamins do serve a purpose and that you NEED to eat with them or they will not work.

Is this not true? Can our body not break down correctly a "vitamin from walmart"....really?
+1 bottom line when it comes to this stuff, I'll take my doctor's word over the arm chair doctors in here. My doctor has told me to take Fish Oil, and it doesn't matter if you get a name brand if the ingredients are the same. I take the Target Brand, and it has the same shit in it (Omega-3 Fatty acids EPA and DHA 600 mg). My doctor has also told me to take probiotics.

MLB Junkie
Tokens
+1 bottom line when it comes to this stuff, I'll take my doctor's word over the arm chair doctors in here. My doctor has told me to take Fish Oil, and it doesn't matter if you get a name brand if the ingredients are the same. I take the Target Brand, and it has the same shit in it (Omega-3 Fatty acids EPA and DHA 600 mg). My doctor has also told me to take probiotics.

agree 100%...especially with the "walmart" brand vitamins vs "name brand".... Same exact thing.

cunning linguist, master debator
Tokens
my trainer said to be good and to be sure look for FDA emblem on bottle

Tokens
I don't have the link but in Feb 2015 the FDA tested store brands herbal supplements from Target, Wal Mart and Walgreens and found they only contained 21% of what the label claimed. The worst offender was Wal Mart at only " 4%" of the ingredients listed on the label. The other 96% was fillers like rice and house plants. The FDA said the companies were cooperating with the investigation. Think about that next time you buy store brand vitamins and think its all the same.

Tokens
i take them
u piss most vitamins out if in excess (ie. vit c)
placebo or not i feel better and healthier with them *shrug*

Tokens
http://www.fda.gov/Food/DietarySupplements/UsingDietarySupplements/default.htm

[h=1]Information for Consumers on Using Dietary Supplements[/h]

Dietary Supplements can be beneficial to your health — but taking supplements can also involve health risks.
Because dietary supplements are under the "umbrella" of foods, FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) is responsible for the agency's oversight of these products. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994, which amended the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, created a new regulatory framework for the safety and labeling of dietary supplements. FDA is not authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed. :)

[h=4]Basic Points to Consider[/h]
  • Do I need to think about my total diet?
    Yes. Dietary supplements are intended to supplement the diets of some people, but not to replace the balance of the variety of foods important to a healthy diet. While you need enough nutrients, too much of some nutrients can cause problems. You can find information on the functions and potential benefits of vitamins and minerals, as well as upper safe limits for nutrients at the National Academy of Sciences Web site .
  • Should I check with my doctor or healthcare provider before using a supplement?
    This is a good idea, especially for certain population groups. Dietary supplements may not be risk-free under certain circumstances. If you are pregnant, nursing a baby, or have a chronic medical condition, such as, diabetes, hypertension or heart disease, be sure to consult your doctor or pharmacist before purchasing or taking any supplement. While vitamin and mineral supplements are widely used and generally considered safe for children, you may wish to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving these or any other dietary supplements to your child. If you plan to use a dietary supplement in place of drugs or in combination with any drug, tell your health care provider first. Many supplements contain active ingredients that have strong biological effects and their safety is not always assured in all users. If you have certain health conditions and take these products, you may be placing yourself at risk.

• Some supplements may interact with prescription and over-the-counter medicines.
    Taking a combination of supplements or using these products together with medications (whether prescription or OTC drugs) could under certain circumstances produce adverse effects, some of which could be life-threatening. Be alert to advisories about these products, whether taken alone or in combination. For example: Coumadin (a prescription medicine), ginkgo biloba (an herbal supplement), aspirin (an OTC drug) and vitamin E (a vitamin supplement) can each thin the blood, and taking any of these products together can increase the potential for internal bleeding. Combining St. John's Wort with certain HIV drugs significantly reduces their effectiveness. St. John's Wort may also reduce the effectiveness of prescription drugs for heart disease, depression, seizures, certain cancers or oral contraceptives.
  • Some supplements can have unwanted effects during surgery:
    It is important to fully inform your doctor about the vitamins, minerals, herbals or any other supplements you are taking, especially before elective surgery. You may be asked to stop taking these products at least 2-3 weeks ahead of the procedure to avoid potentially dangerous supplement/drug interactions -- such as changes in heart rate, blood pressure and increased bleeding - that could adversely affect the outcome of your surgery.
  • Adverse effects from the use of dietary supplements should be reported to MedWatch:
    You, your health care provider, or anyone may directly to FDA if you believe it is related to the use of any dietary supplement product, by calling FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088, by fax at 1-800-FDA-0178 or reporting report a serious adverse event or illness on-line. FDA would like to know whenever you think a product caused you a serious problem, even if you are not sure that the product was the cause, and even if you do not visit a doctor or clinic. In addition to communicating with FDA on-line or by phone, you may use the MedWatch form available from the FDA Web site.
  • Who is responsible for ensuring the safety and efficacy of dietary supplements?
    Under the law, manufacturers of dietary supplements are responsible for making sure their products are safe before they go to market. They are also responsible for determining that the claims on their labels are accurate and truthful. :)Dietary supplement products are not reviewed by the government before they are marketed, but FDA has the responsibility to take action against any unsafe dietary supplement product that reaches the market. If FDA can prove that claims on marketed dietary supplement products are false and misleading, the agency may take action also against products with such claims

translation- if you feel you lack a balanced diet and need supplements (be it vitamins, omega....etc etc), do your due diligence.............

Tokens
I don't have the link but in Feb 2015 the FDA tested store brands herbal supplements from Target, Wal Mart and Walgreens and found they only contained 21% of what the label claimed. The worst offender was Wal Mart at only " 4%" of the ingredients listed on the label. The other 96% was fillers like rice and house plants. The FDA said the companies were cooperating with the investigation. Think about that next time you buy store brand vitamins and think its all the same.

Ny Times ran an article, here's The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rt-walgreens-accused-of-selling-fake-herbals/

GNC, Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens accused of selling adulterated ‘herbals’

A warning to herbal supplement users: Those store-brand ginkgo biloba tablets you bought may contain mustard, wheat, radish and other substances decidedly non-herbal in nature, but they’re not likely to contain any actual ginkgo biloba.
That’s according to an investigation by the New York State attorney general’s office into store-brand supplements at four national retailers — GNC, Target, Walgreens and Wal-Mart. All four have received cease-and-desist lettersdemanding that they stop selling a number of their dietary supplements, few of which were found to contain the herbs shown on their labels and many of which included potential allergens not identified in the ingredients list.
“Contamination, substitution and falsely labeling herbal products constitute deceptive business practices and, more importantly, present considerable health risks for consumers,” said the letters, first reported today by the New York Times.
The tests were conducted using a process called DNA barcoding, which identifies individual ingredients through a kind of “genetic fingerprinting.” The investigators tested 24 products claiming to be seven different types of herb — echinacea, garlic, gingko biloba, ginseng, saw palmetto, St. John’s wort and valerian root. All but five of the products contained DNA that was either unrecognizable or from a plant other than what the product claimed to be.
Additionally, five of the 24 contained wheat and two contained beans without identifying them on the labels — both substances are known to cause allergic reactions in some people.
[How a fake doctor made millions from ‘the Dr. Oz Effect’ and a bogus weight-loss supplement]
Of the four retailers, Wal-Mart was the worst offender: None of its six supplements that were tested was found to contain purely the ingredient advertised. Target’s supplements were the least misleading of the lot — though that isn’t saying much, since tests on six of the brand’s products resulted in only one unqualified positive. Two of Target’s other supplements contained DNA from other plants alongside their purported ingredients, while the remaining three tested negative.
Harvard Medical School assistant professor Pieter Cohen, who is an expert on supplement safety, told the New York Times that the test results were so extreme he found them hard to accept. He suggested that the manufacturing process may have destroyed some of the ingredients’ DNA, rendering the DNA barcode test ineffective.
On the other hand, he said, “if this data is accurate, then it is an unbelievably devastating indictment of the industry.”
This investigation is just the latest in a series of blows against the dietary supplement industry. Supplements are not considered food or drugs, so they have long been only loosely regulated. Federal guidelines require companies to ensure that their products are safe and accurately labeled, but the FDA has little power to enforce that rule.

A 2012 paper published in the Journal of the American Medical Association warned that this lack of regulation of the supplement industry could lead to “adverse events.” In the past five years, tainted supplements have been associated with kidney failure, hepatitis and other problems. :)

Also in 2012, the Department of Health and Human Services released a report saying that supplements’ claims about their structure and function often lack scientific support. HHS recommended that the FDA seek “explicit statutory authority to review substantiation for structure/function claims” — essentially, it should subject the health claims made by supplement manufacturers to the same kind of scrutiny that drugs must undergo

The New York attorney general’s letters also cited a 2013 Canadian study of 44 common supplements, in which one-third of herbal supplements that were tested contained no trace of the plant advertised on the bottle.
The Canadian study “alerted the dietary supplement industry to the fact that it is not providing the public with authentic products without substitution, contamination or fillers. It is disappointing that over a year later the attorney general’s researcher reached similar conclusions,” the letters chastised, sounding like a frustrated parent.
In response to the findings, Walgreens told the New York Times that it would remove the offending products from its shelves nationwide, while spokesmen for Wal-Mart and GNC both said that the companies would respond “appropriately.” Target did not respond to requests for comment.
The study was prompted by a Times article that raised questions about the supplements.

Tokens
Ny Times ran an article, here's The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rt-walgreens-accused-of-selling-fake-herbals/

GNC, Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens accused of selling adulterated ‘herbals’

A warning to herbal supplement users: Those store-brand ginkgo biloba tablets you bought may contain mustard, wheat, radish and other substances decidedly non-herbal in nature, but they’re not likely to contain any actual ginkgo biloba.
That’s according to an investigation by the New York State attorney general’s office into store-brand supplements at four national retailers — GNC, Target, Walgreens and Wal-Mart. All four have received cease-and-desist lettersdemanding that they stop selling a number of their dietary supplements, few of which were found to contain the herbs shown on their labels and many of which included potential allergens not identified in the ingredients list.
“Contamination, substitution and falsely labeling herbal products constitute deceptive business practices and, more importantly, present considerable health risks for consumers,” said the letters, first reported today by the New York Times.
The tests were conducted using a process called DNA barcoding, which identifies individual ingredients through a kind of “genetic fingerprinting.” The investigators tested 24 products claiming to be seven different types of herb — echinacea, garlic, gingko biloba, ginseng, saw palmetto, St. John’s wort and valerian root. All but five of the products contained DNA that was either unrecognizable or from a plant other than what the product claimed to be.
Additionally, five of the 24 contained wheat and two contained beans without identifying them on the labels — both substances are known to cause allergic reactions in some people.
[How a fake doctor made millions from ‘the Dr. Oz Effect’ and a bogus weight-loss supplement]
Of the four retailers, Wal-Mart was the worst offender: None of its six supplements that were tested was found to contain purely the ingredient advertised. Target’s supplements were the least misleading of the lot — though that isn’t saying much, since tests on six of the brand’s products resulted in only one unqualified positive. Two of Target’s other supplements contained DNA from other plants alongside their purported ingredients, while the remaining three tested negative.
Harvard Medical School assistant professor Pieter Cohen, who is an expert on supplement safety, told the New York Times that the test results were so extreme he found them hard to accept. He suggested that the manufacturing process may have destroyed some of the ingredients’ DNA, rendering the DNA barcode test ineffective.
On the other hand, he said, “if this data is accurate, then it is an unbelievably devastating indictment of the industry.”
This investigation is just the latest in a series of blows against the dietary supplement industry. Supplements are not considered food or drugs, so they have long been only loosely regulated. Federal guidelines require companies to ensure that their products are safe and accurately labeled, but the FDA has little power to enforce that rule.

A 2012 paper published in the Journal of the American Medical Association warned that this lack of regulation of the supplement industry could lead to “adverse events.” In the past five years, tainted supplements have been associated with kidney failure, hepatitis and other problems. :)

Also in 2012, the Department of Health and Human Services released a report saying that supplements’ claims about their structure and function often lack scientific support. HHS recommended that the FDA seek “explicit statutory authority to review substantiation for structure/function claims” — essentially, it should subject the health claims made by supplement manufacturers to the same kind of scrutiny that drugs must undergo

The New York attorney general’s letters also cited a 2013 Canadian study of 44 common supplements, in which one-third of herbal supplements that were tested contained no trace of the plant advertised on the bottle.
The Canadian study “alerted the dietary supplement industry to the fact that it is not providing the public with authentic products without substitution, contamination or fillers. It is disappointing that over a year later the attorney general’s researcher reached similar conclusions,” the letters chastised, sounding like a frustrated parent.
In response to the findings, Walgreens told the New York Times that it would remove the offending products from its shelves nationwide, while spokesmen for Wal-Mart and GNC both said that the companies would respond “appropriately.” Target did not respond to requests for comment.
The study was prompted by a Times article that raised questions about the supplements.

Thanks for posting that Ricboff.

Tokens
Ive read online that blah blah blah they do more harm than good and all that stuff. But I don't see how taking them can actually be harmful to get some vitamins in your system that u may be missing out on. Im not looking to take them and be able to dunk a basketball because of it. just wondering if theres health benefits to taking them?

If you are taking one, then that means your diet is lacking. Fix your diet before you start taking pills.

Tokens
no problem fightgood,

'final answer' , bouceback?

here's my opinion.

I posted the FDA's position/limitations/tips regarding dietary supplements in post #50 (link was provided) . The following deserves a re-post;

'FDA is not authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed. '

Therefore, if a person feels they need a dietary supplement care should be taken as to whom you're buying from. I wouldn't cut corners here.

Do you need a supplement? There's tremendous metabolic variability from person to person; we're all different. The answer is , therefore, very individualistic. En masse suggestions, such as 'everyone should take an omega 3 supplement to prevent cardiovascular disease' are erroneous . Your diet may be grossly rich in omega-3's, why the hell would you take more ?

if one suffers from chronic disease, there's value in ensuring your micornutrient (vit/minerals) intake is not low of a nutrient. As an example, people severely low on magnesium can manifest as fibromyagia,mood disorder. This would be valuable information in patient treatment. And yes , tests are available today that can determine levels of vit/minerals/ fatty acids/anti-oxidants...etc. This a core concept in functional medicine.

Handicapper
Tokens
'FDA is not authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed

Do you need a supplement? There's tremendous metabolic variability from person to person; we're all different. The answer is , therefore, very individualistic. En masse suggestions, such as 'everyone should take an omega 3 supplement to prevent cardiovascular disease' are erroneous . Your diet may be grossly rich in omega-3's, why the hell would you take more ?

if one suffers from chronic disease, there's value in ensuring your micornutrient (vit/minerals) intake is not low of a nutrient. As an example, people severely low on magnesium can manifest as fibromyagia,mood disorder. This would be valuable information in patient treatment. And yes , tests are available today that can determine levels of vit/minerals/ fatty acids/anti-oxidants...etc. This a core concept in functional medicine.

I agree. Good post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w88mp
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com