A Sneak Peek At CFB 2018 News/Views/Highlights !

Search

Tokens
Ohio, Northern Illinois picked as MAC preseason favorites
July 24, 2018

DETROIT (AP) Northern Illinois is hoping to re-establish its recent run of Mid-American Conference dominance with a return to the Motor City in November.

For Ohio, the championship history is more in the distant past.

The two teams are the divisional favorites in the media's preseason poll released Tuesday, when the MAC held its media day at Ford Field in Detroit. The stadium is also the site of the Nov. 30 conference championship game.

Northern Illinois made the MAC title game for six straight seasons from 2010-15, winning it three times in that span. Ohio hasn't won a MAC title since 1968.

Although the conference is known for midweek offensive fireworks, Northern Illinois coach Rod Carey said defense is the key to getting back to Detroit, where Toledo topped Akron 45-28 for last season's championship.

''I think historically if you look at it, the team that always ends up winning the league is the team that plays the best defense,'' Carey said. ''They might not have a great defense, but they play the best defense.''

NIU will be led by defensive end Sutton Smith, a second-team All-American who led the nation with 29.5 tackles for loss and had 16 sacks. Carey said he's been pleased with the work ethic of Smith, who said he added 20 pounds of muscle this offseason.

''I'm just trying to get bigger, faster, stronger and know the game more than I ever have before,'' Smith said.

Under coach Frank Solich, Ohio led the MAC with 37.4 points per game last season. Returning at quarterback is Nathan Rourke, a Canadian who rushed for 21 touchdowns last season in his first year as a starter.

''I'm just trying to learn the offense a little bit better,'' Rourke said. ''Last year, I just kind of got my feet wet a little bit, and now I'm just trying to dive in and get to the point where I can teach it to our young guys.''

The 73-year-old Solich said he doesn't dwell much on the program's 50-year title drought, noting that the Bobcats have reached Detroit four times in his 13 seasons at the helm.

''We had our opportunities,'' Solich said. ''We're going to have more opportunities coming up and we'll get it done at some point.''

In the East Division, Ohio received 21 first-place votes and 140 total points from the 24 media voters; Buffalo was second (one first-place vote, 112 total); Miami was third (two, 95); Akron was fourth (74); Bowling Green was fifth (58); and Kent State finished sixth (25).

In the West, Northern Illinois earned 15 first-place votes and 133 total points; Toledo was second (seven, 125); Western Michigan was third (one, 87); Eastern Michigan was fourth (67); Central Michigan was fifth (one, 58); and Ball State was sixth (34).

Ohio was the most common pick to win the championship game with 13 votes, followed by Toledo (five), Northern Illinois (four), Miami (one) and Central Michigan (one).

The league has been balanced - six teams have made the championship game over the last three years and every team has made a bowl in the last six seasons - but MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher would not follow the marketing lead of the American Athletic Conference. The AAC touts itself as a member of a so-called Power Six , along with the five major conferences granted autonomous voting rights by the NCAA in 2014.

Steinbrecher wasn't going down that road, although he was sympathetic to the AAC's attitude.

''I get what they're trying to do. They're trying to fight back on this idea that, just because we have this governmental designation, doesn't mean that we're not a quality team,'' Steinbrecher said. ''Look at what Central Florida did last year. They had a great year. Good for them. Bang the drum on that. What we did with Western Michigan or Northern Illinois years before - fact of the matter is, the top teams in our league or other leagues, can play with anybody in the country.''

Tokens
Wisconsin favored to win Big Ten West
July 24, 2018

CHICAGO (AP) Success for the Wisconsin Badgers is about as ho-hum as their leader's personality.

All Wisconsin does is win under no-nonsense, coach-next-door Paul Chryst.

The Badgers finished a school-best 13-1 last year, missing the playoffs following a loss to Ohio State in the Big Ten title game but beating Miami in the Orange Bowl.

They're a top contender again to play well into January, let alone the favorites to win the Big Ten West division.

No pressure for the Badgers. Really.

''But I think the part of being a good leader is not showing any weakness in times of pressure and things like that,'' linebacker T.J. Edwards said. ''He does such a good job with that, you look to him in times like that, you feel the same way.''

There are few things Chryst likes less than sitting at a podium answering questions, but that's what he had to do Tuesday in Chicago at Big Ten media days. Chryst answers questions in a polite, often monotone voice. He doesn't command a room like Ohio State's Urban Meyer or Michigan's Jim Harbaugh.

Away from the media lights, the down-to-earth personality resonates with players like senior safety D'Cota Dixon. He was asked at one point Tuesday about looking ahead at Wisconsin's schedule.

''I don't really look at it like that. Just line up, play football. Whoever is in front of me, beat them,'' Dixon said.

A reporter told Dixon that was the kind of simple, one-week-at-a-time response Chryst would deliver.

''Does it? Then that's a good thing,'' Dixon said with a smile.

Chryst characterized the pressure he feels as ''doing your job to the best of your ability. Are you doing all you can to help this team?''

Focus on that, on things like making sure players stay in shape or prepare in the classroom, and that in turn gets the team prepared to go for big goals like conference championships.

''I think some of the perceived pressure, because you can't impact them, I can't worry about what is being said around the outside,'' Chryst said.

Wisconsin is 34-7 since Chryst returned to Madison to coach his alma mater in 2015, the fifth-best mark in the country behind Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma. The Badgers are 22-4 in conference play, having won back-to-back division titles.

''They play great defense consistently and they run the ball very well consistently,'' Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. ''Third thing I'd say is they don't beat themselves. ... That's a pretty good formula for success, you get those three down, it make it tough for people to catch you.''

The Hawkeyes have a reputation of playing tough football, just like the Badgers. Iowa and Northwestern figure to be Wisconsin's stiffest competition in the West.

''They've always had good guys that come through that are big, physical guys and I think especially the line play has been very good,'' Iowa defensive lineman Matt Nelson said. ''That's what wins games in the Big Ten.''

At the other end of the division is Illinois, which is 5-19 in two years under coach Lovie Smith. They Illini went winless in the Big Ten last season.

Smith hopes the turnaround starts in Year 3, with a new training facility also scheduled to open in 2019.

''We realize we haven't won enough football games. But they come, if you continue to do the right things,'' Smith said. ''We've changed the culture of our program. We know the look that we would like to have on the football field.''

Tokens
Handicapping Purdue (5)
July 25, 2018

The Purdue Boilermakers were a pleasant surprise last season in the first year under Jeff Brohm, as they won seven games including the Foster Farms Bowl.

The Boilermakers could have similar success in 2018, but only if they can keep their quarterbacks healthy. Oddsmakers believe that Purdue is going to slip back this season, as they set the win total for the Boilermakers at five.

Let’s look at Purdue’s schedule to see if they will go over or under that number.

2018 Purdue Boilermakers Season Win Total
Over 5 (-120)
Under 5 (-11)

2018 Purdue Boilermakers Schedule Analysis

Aug. 30 Northwestern

It is not often that a team starts off with conference play, but that is the case for Purdue and Northwestern this season. This is not a great spot for Purdue considering they lost a lot of players in the off-season. Oddsmakers still give Purdue a decent chance to win this one though, as the Boilermakers are listed as 3.5-point favorites.

Sept. 8 Eastern Michigan

The Boilermakers should not have any problem winning this one against a weak Eastern Michigan squad.

Sept. 15 Missouri

If the Boilermakers are going to get to six wins, this game and the following one against Boston College are huge. The Boilermakers will need to score a lot of points to win this one, as the Tigers are very potent on offense.

Sept. 22 Boston College

This will be a much different game for the Boilermakers than the one against Missouri, as Boston College is a tough defensive squad. This is a very winnable game and one that Purdue needs before heading out on the road.

Sept. 29 at Nebraska

The Cornhuskers are going to be much better this season under Scott Frost and this has the looks of the first road loss for Purdue.

Oct. 13 at Illinois

This could be the most important game of the season for Purdue simply because they probably have to win it to get to six wins. It comes after a bye week, so there are no excuses for Purdue not to win this game.

Oct. 20 Ohio State

The Boilermakers are going to struggle in the second half of the season against a tough schedule. They don’t figure to win this one against the Buckeyes, even though it is at home.

Oct. 27 at Michigan State

It is hard to see Purdue going on the road and winning against a quality Michigan State team. Now you can see why the Illinois game is so huge.

Nov. 3 Iowa

The Hawkeyes are a quality team that could contend for the Big Ten title this season, so this is yet another tough home game and a probable loss.

Nov. 10 at Minnesota

This is yet another huge game for the Boilermakers because many games on the schedule this season don’t look winnable. This game at Minnesota is winnable and the Boilermakers need it.

Nov. 17 Wisconsin

The Badgers are considered one of the top teams in the Big Ten, but this game is at home and the Boilermakers might make this game closer than expected.

Nov. 24 at Indiana

The Boilermakers have to hope this game means something. If Purdue is in contention for a bowl game this is probably a must-win.

2018 Purdue Boilermakers Regular Season Total Prediction

The Boilermakers schedule does help them out, as they play their first four games at home. The problem for Purdue is that only one of those games looks like a sure win. Purdue was good last season under Brohm, but there is a real chance they will take a step back this season because of all of their off-season losses.

Oddsmakers put the win total for Purdue at just five games and that number could be too low. The Boilermakers don’t have to do that much to get to six wins and go over the total. They could definitely go 3-1 in their first four games and then they have winnable games at Illinois, Minnesota and Indiana, plus they are not without a chance to win a few other games.

Purdue should definitely have a chance to win six games and go over their win total this season.

Tokens
Big 12 Season Outlook
July 25, 2018

As we get closer and closer to August and the start of the college football season, my conference previews continue with a look at the Big 12.

Readers looking for my past thoughts can dissect them on the ACC and Big 10 conferences, but it's all about the Big 12 today and whether or not anyone can dethrone Oklahoma now that QB Baker Mayfield has left for the NFL.

Big 12 Outlook

With the Big 12 always in the unenviable position come playoff selection time of being the conference without a title game for years, the Big 12 re-introduced a Conference Championship game last year and found their best program earning a #2 selection in the playoff format. That team was the Mayfield-led Oklahoma Sooners who enter 2018 as the favorites to repeat atop this conference. The Sooners are hoping it will be a seamless transition to Kyler Murray as the starter under center, but Murray has plenty of help around him as well with some of the best playmakers (Rodney Anderson, Marquise Brown) in the conference wearing the same colors.

It's not like this conference won't be without it's contenders though as the Big 12 tends to be a rather deep conference every year where any one of them could get knocked off on any given Saturday. Oklahoma (+140) may be the favorites to remain as conference champions, but Texas (+300), Oklahoma State (+600), West Virginia (+600), and TCU (+700), are all listed not too far behind at +700 or better. But picking a conference champion isn't the only available action for this conference, so let's get right to it.

Most Intriguing Big 12 Future Bet

West Virginia Over 7.5 wins (-105)

The Mountaineers are probably the most intriguing team overall to me in the Big 12 as they are just so loaded on offense, it becomes a matter of how many 59-52 games they can win. QB Qill Grier has an opportunity to be the best player in the conference (and possibly all of CFB) like Baker Mayfield was a year ago, and with an experienced O-line (four of five starters are Juniors or Seniors), this West Virginia team should be able to hang points up on opponents in a hurry. But it's always a question of defense with this team, and this year there is one more minor variable that makes this 'over' win total that much more intriguing: West Virginia's schedule is backloaded.

Based on those conference winning odds I outlined earlier, the top five teams in the Big 12 this year should be Oklahoma, Texas, OK State, West Virginia, and TCU. Well, West Virginia's final four games of the year – with no bye weeks in the middle – are @ Texas, vs TCU, at OK State, and vs Oklahoma. That's a November from hell for this Mountaineers squad and it will be very interesting to see what kind of record they come out of that stretch with.

Yet, for this 7.5 win total to be surpassed, West Virginia might not even need a win in any one of those final four games. West Virginia could easily begin the year 8-0 SU with no real tests outside of potentially Tennessee (Week 1) and possibly their trip to Texas Tech (Week 5). With how many points West Virginia should be able to score on their first eight foes, even average defense games by this team will be enough to come away with victories. And should they slip up once, well two of those final four games are at home for the Mountaineers, and shootouts with them on the road – especially in the OK State game – could ultimately go either way.

Then of course, there is the flip side of things, where let's suppose Grier and this offense take weeks to get off the ground, they slip up a few times early on and then are just simply too banged up and out of gas to take on that final month of games with any sort of energy or motivation. Again, it's what will make the Mountaineers a highly watchable team this entire year, no matter what side of the action you're on.

Best Future Bet

Oklahoma Under 10.5 wins (-155)

As good as Oklahoma should and will be this year, moving on to a new QB always has some level of growing pains, even if it is just for a half, or a game, early on. And simply put, with that being the case for Oklahoma, this number is just flat out too high not to take the low side, especially when you add in the depth of this conference overall and everyone gunning for the Sooners when they get their chance. To not slip up three times (including Conference Championship if they get there) is going to be extremely tough for this team, with the Red River Rivalry game always lurking, a trip to West Virginia in the season finale looming, and everything else they've got to deal with in-between.

It is a lot of juice to lay, but considering just how bunched up it could end up getting at the top of this conference by the end of it all with everyone else beating each other, if Oklahoma ends up on the wrong end of one or two of those games, this bet could end up cashing rather easily.

Best Season Win Total Over Bet

Baylor Over 5.5 Wins (-150)

Another “chalky” wager to say the least, but after a 1-11 SU campaign in 2017 that was a disaster from start to finish for the Baylor Bears, 2018 signifies plenty of hope for this program and more positive results should follow.

Now, don't get me wrong, Baylor likely isn't going to be competing for a conference crown when all is said and done, but a 6-6 SU season is well within reason for this team this year that returns a lot of experience on the O-line and playmaking positions, as well as a defense that's now in Year 2 of the Matt Rhule era and should be much improved.

Baylor's schedule also helps them out a bit as they (should) get a win over FCS Abilene Christian in Week 1 to get off on the right foot (Baylor did lose to FCS Liberty in Week 1 in 2017 though), and from there it's winnable games against UTSA, Duke, and Kansas to close out the first four weeks. Asking for, and getting three wins in that four-game stretch is quite possible and from there it's hopefully just watching Baylor hold their own on the weeks when they are on and perhaps getting by one of the “big boys” down the line. They do end the year with games against Iowa State, TCU, and Texas Tech, which outside of the TCU game could be very winnable as well.

I look for this Baylor team to be back in a Bowl game this year and they'll need at least six wins to get there. Lay the chalk and look for them to close out the regular season strong to achieve that goal.

Best Season Win Total Under Bet

Kansas State Under 6.5 wins (+100)

Obviously I could have put Oklahoma here as well, but for the sake of variety I thought it best to share some of my thoughts on Kansas State this year as well.

K-State has always been that program that perennially causes some sort of chaos within the Big 12 as if they were an individual player, they'd be that guy you'd always want to have on your team but hate to play against. However, I'm not so sure most Big 12 teams are going to actually “hate” facing the Wildcats this year as it really looks as though it's somewhat of a transition year for them. They've got new co-ordinators on both sides of the ball, but both guys will still have to work within the confines of HC Bill Synder's seemingly archaic systems.

Considering K-State has to run through the best of the best in the conference and has to play road games against West Virginia, Oklahoma, and TCU, added Mississippi State as a non-conference foe, and get West Virginia and Texas back-to-back, as well as Oklahoma and TCU back-to-back, it's not looking like it will be more than six wins for this team in 2018.

Who plays in the Big 12 Championship Game?

Oklahoma vs West Virginia

With no division breakdowns in the Big 12, there aren't any restrictions when picking a play like this. It will just be the two teams with the best record and that's always nice. It does also ensure that we will get a rematch in the title game as well and that's always a nice little dynamic to add into handicapping that game when it arrives. But to survive in the Big 12 you've got to have an elite offense and a defense that can step up and get stops when needed, and we saw Oklahoma be able to do that a year ago, and I believe West Virginia follows suit this year.

Both of these programs should finish with the top two offenses in the Big 12 this year and that's always going to give them a chance to get to this game. But it will be the defenses on both sides that will step up in big games against the likes of Texas, TCU and/or Oklahoma State that will seal the deal for these two schools to square off for all the marbles in early December. I've got faith that West Virginia will start hot and remain hot during that brutal November schedule they've got, and once they get through that, the amount of confidence they'll have heading into December will be through the roof. It might not be enough to get past the Sooners in the title game, but expect the Mountaineers to at least be on that field with Oklahoma.

Tokens
5 new head coaches giving fresh energy to weary Pac-12
July 25, 2018

LOS ANGELES (AP) The Pac-12 went 1-8 in its bowl games last season, leading to a winter of external criticism and internal soul-searching for most of its programs.

The league also extended its national title drought to 14 years, the longest in the Power Five. Athletic directors openly worried about the Pac-12 falling farther behind the other big conferences in revenue and in exposure from its television network.

After all the disappointment for its football programs late last year, this is a league that probably could benefit from a fresh start. Nearly half of its member schools are getting one with the arrival of new coaching staffs to shake up the West Coast football scene.

The Pac-12's five new coaches range from the heralded Chip Kelly at UCLA, to the surprising choice of Herm Edwards at Arizona State, to the homecoming of Jonathan Smith at Oregon State. Two of the five are first-time collegiate head coaches, while the other three - including Arizona's Kevin Sumlin - have ample experience.

''It's super competitive,'' new Oregon coach Mario Cristobal said Wednesday at Pac-12 media day in Hollywood.

''Football is cyclical,'' Cristobal added. ''Sometimes conferences run into that when you have a good number of coaches that are new in the conference. I look at the level and their pedigree and where they've been and what they've done, and you're looking at competitive guys that know how to bring it and want to establish championship programs.''

The new blood could energize struggling programs and alter the league hierarchy - or it could clear the way for Washington, Southern California and Stanford to continue to dominate their less-experienced foes.

While Kelly got the most attention Wednesday in his return to the Pac-12 after a remarkable tenure at Oregon, many coaches and players speculated that Sumlin's Wildcats could have the quickest opportunity for success among the newcomers.

But most coaches are hoping the moves will raise the overall level of play in the Pac-12, creating a higher standard that could translate into the postseason and the national title race after the league's disappointing performance last winter.

''I think it's an impressive group of coaches in their records and track records of winning games, championships (and) developing players,'' said Smith, who left Chris Petersen's staff at Washington to take over his alma mater. ''I think we've got some great personalities that can sell this conference, because there is a bunch of good coaches right now in this league to make it competitive. I'm just excited to be a part of it.''

Kelly, Sumlin and Edwards are all taking over programs with measures of stability in recent seasons, even if the three schools didn't pile up enough wins to satisfy boosters.

Smith has a tougher task in restarting the Beavers after the abrupt exit of Gary Andersen last season - and Cristobal is Oregon's third head coach in three seasons, following the firing of Mark Helfrich and the one-season tenure of Willie Taggart.

''I think all five guys new to the conference are tremendous football coaches,'' said Kyle Whittingham, who's heading into his 14th season at Utah. ''I think there are just a bunch of great coaches in this league, and that's something that will enhance the league. But it still boils down to players. Players are what it's all about. I'm more interested in what players are on which teams rather than who is coaching them.''

Some of the new coaches are more fortunate than others in those inherited rosters. For instance, Kelly has only eight seniors at UCLA, and he lost star quarterback Josh Rosen to the Arizona Cardinals.

''We didn't have a lot of guys in spring ball,'' Kelly said. ''There's going to be some guys playing for us who just showed up.''

Cristobal and Sumlin are grateful to inherit two of the Pac-12's eight returning starting quarterbacks. Oregon's Justin Herbert and Arizona's Khalil Tate provide a measure of security for their new bosses.

''It didn't hurt, let's put it that way,'' Sumlin said with a grin when asked how Tate's presence affected his decision to move to Tucson.

While Kelly's progress will be fascinating, the league also will be glued to the performance of the 64-year-old Edwards, who ended a nine-year hiatus from coaching to take over for Todd Graham in Tempe.

Edwards already has made plenty of headlines for his headfirst dive into the college game, which has included threats to ''cut'' players who aren't meeting his standards of commitment. When the former Chiefs and Jets coach was asked what he thought about how his style has been received, Edwards drew a blank.

''To be quite honest, you'll figure this out about me - I don't know what happens in the outside world,'' Edwards said. ''I don't read it. I don't watch it. I am a football coach. When I'm not a football coach, I'm trying to be the best father I can be. That's what I concern myself with. I don't concern myself with the outside elements because the outside elements don't coach the team.''

Banned
Tokens
Purdue MUST win 3 out of their first 4 games at home to have a shot at a 6 win season. Conceding the Eastern Michigan game to them, they must win two games against Northwestern, Missouri, and Boston College. Losses @ Nebraska, vs Ohio State, @ Michigan State, Iowa and Wisconsin are certainly a solid possibility, and games at Minnesota and at Indiana can go either way. Purdue returns 8 players on offense, but both QB's were injured during the season. The defense returns only 4 starters and is rather thin. Jeff Brohm exceeded expectations last season. Let's see if he can live up to the hype this season.

Tokens
AAC Outlook
July 27, 2018

East Outlook

The American claimed a national title according to some last season as Central Florida completed a perfect 13-0 campaign, the only program in the nation to do so completing the run with a win over Auburn in the Peach Bowl. The AAC has produced the top Group of Five squad twice in the last three years and should remain the top threat outside the power five again in 2018.

The East will again start with UCF but Temple and South Florida are viable threats that will challenge in the East race. An undefeated team in the division is again a possibility and there appears to be a massive chasm between the top three and the bottom three in this division. Here is an early look at the six AAC East squads.

Central Florida: Scott Frost delivered an incredible season for the Knights but he will be on the sidelines in Lincoln this season with another former Big XII quarterback taking over in Orlando this season. Josh Heupel led Oklahoma to a national title on the field and he has honed his coaching skills at his alma mater and more recently at Missouri to make the leap to his first head coaching job. He inherits the top quarterback in the conference to ease the transition with McKenzie Milton posting huge numbers last season but there were significant personnel losses on both sides of the ball for the Knights in the offseason. The schedule has a few challenging spots as a repeat perfect season is unlikely but this will still be a team that can post a double-digit win count and shouldn’t be ruled out as a top Group of Five threat. The West draw adds two formidable AAC games to the schedule and two of the toughest tests of the conference season will be on the road. Non-conference tests vs. North Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Florida Atlantic will determine whether or not UCF can stay in the national spotlight.

Temple: Temple has a team capable of knocking off anyone in the AAC as one of the better defenses in the conference should be even better in the second season behind Geoff Collins. The Owls rallied to win seven games last season including a bowl game but five of six road games in 2018 will be challenging tests. Frank Nutile was a productive quarterback that sparked the offense taking over midseason last year and another solid bowl season should be ahead in Philadelphia. Temple has a good chance to make a bit of noise with a pair of manageable power five non-conference games and they will have a bye week ahead of a huge run of games in November that will decide the fate of the division, with the Owls playing UCF, Houston, and USF in succession.

South Florida: Getting 10 wins in a first season at a new program is a great accomplishment but South Florida was favored in 11 of 12 games last season and expectations of a perfect season were there, ultimately outshined by the in-state neighbors to the northeast. Charlie Strong had a lot to work with last season and his job will be more challenging this season with the loss of top rusher and passer Quinton Flowers. Add several major departures on defense and other big contributors graduating from the offense and the Bulls aren’t likely to match the production of the past two seasons. The schedule is reasonable however and another 10-win season is very possible. The draw from the West is relatively favorable and the Bulls get to host UCF in the season finale after a wildly entertaining contest between those teams for the division title last season. South Florida might not be as good as last season but that doesn’t mean a decline in record is likely.

Cincinnati: It was expected that Cincinnati would perennially be in the conversation as one of the top Group of Five threats after four straight seasons of at least nine wins earlier this decade. The Bearcats are coming off back-to-back 4-8 seasons however as Luke Fickell was unable to deliver positive returns in first season with the program. Cincinnati should have the pieces in place to improve defensively this season and the schedule overall is easier than last season’s slate pulling a pair of MAC teams while also getting two of the lesser teams from the West division. The offensive line looks like an area of weakness for this group which could trickle down to the rest of the offense even with veteran playmakers returning in key positions. Returning to the glory days of a decade ago isn’t likely for the Bearcats this season but this should be a borderline bowl team that can show slight improvement.

Connecticut: Randy Edsall went 3-9 in his return to Connecticut after coaching five mediocre seasons at Maryland. The Huskies did upset two AAC foes last season but closed the season with five straight defeats. Another poor finish in the AAC East looks likely with a daunting set of home games in conference play but Connecticut will get to play two of the lesser West teams to help the cause. Add a pair of winnable non-conference games and Connecticut has a chance to show mild improvement this season. The defense was gutted however with very little experience back in action but the offense did make a big leap from the 2016 numbers last season. This will be a team that will welcome shootouts unlike during the Bob Diaco years as the Huskies will at least be a more interesting team to watch even if a bowl bid is not realistic this season.

East Carolina: The decision to fire Ruffin McNeill after the 2015 season was mostly panned and it looks even worse at this point after a pair of 3-9 seasons for East Carolina. Scottie Montgomery will face some heat this season with improvement expected but the schedule is quite challenging with two ACC squads on the schedule in September and the first five AAC games on the schedule coming against arguably the best five teams in the conference. Drawing Memphis and Houston from the West is less than ideal and the division road games are all very difficult. Realistically another 3-9 season looks likely considering this was a defense that allowed 45 points per game and 542 yards per game last season and will now need to break in a new quarterback.

West Outlook

The American was led by East champion Central Florida last season with a historic season but the West had quality performers as well. The AAC has produced the top Group of Five squad twice in the last three years and should remain the top threat outside the power five again in 2018.

The West division offers a deeper group of six teams than the East with five of six teams winning at least five games last season and all six teams with realistic bowl hopes this season. This could be a tight multi-team race with the division again capable of producing four bowl teams as it did in 2017. Here is an early look at the AAC West ahead of the 2018 season.

Memphis: Memphis went 7-1 to win the West last season before giving UCF a great test in the title game but the Tigers lost its offensive stars from last season with Riley Ferguson and Anthony Miller now in the NFL. Memphis won 10 games last season despite awful defensive numbers but Mike Norvell is back for his third season after getting some attention from major programs. Perhaps the biggest game of the AAC West season will be a second week game at Navy for Memphis as a win there will put the Tigers in the driver’s seat for the division title. Memphis should be favored to win three of four non-conference games and another 10-win campaign is very possible with a run at a perfect season not out of the question with both UCF and Houston visiting the Liberty Bowl and the biggest non-conference hurdle being against a beatable Missouri team in October. Replacing a prolific quarterback means things could go the other direction as well but 15 starters are back as this should remain a quality team.

Navy:
The Midshipmen were in the AAC title game two years ago and Navy has a chance to get back in the picture after the program’s worst season since 2011. Ken Niumatalolo is 84-48 in 10 seasons at Navy and while a 6-6 regular season that featured a second straight loss to rival Army was a disappointment, a 49-7 bowl blowout over an ACC team was a great way to finish the season. Navy plays 13 regular season game with an opener at Hawai’i as it will be a grueling slate that features eight games away from home. Zack Abey is back in action after rushing for over 1,400 yards last season and Navy was a solid defensive team last year that soundly out-gained its competition despite the even record. Navy has most of the toughest conference games at home other than a trip to UCF but ultimately the travel will wear on this team as a few upset defeats could occur along the way. Navy won’t run the table but if Memphis comes back to the pack the Midshipmen will be right there in the West mix.

Houston: Houston has fallen in win count in back-to-back seasons and while there were mixed results in Major Applewhite’s first season with the Cougars the potential was there with several strong performances and mostly close losses other than an upset loss at Tulsa. A pair of tough non-conference games will give Houston a chance to get back on the national map in September and D’Eriq King led the Cougars to productive results after taking over at quarterback. Houston lost five times as a favorite last season as the Cougars proved to be overvalued based on the success of the previous two seasons and this year more grounded expectations could make Houston a threat to surprise. There is top end talent on the defense and a bit more consistency can be expected in a year two of a major coaching change. Houston has to play on the road vs. the top two division threats and draws two of the top three teams from the East as the schedule hardly will be ideal for a rise to the division title.

Tulsa: After Tulsa won 10 games with some good fortune in 2016 the results reversed course last year with a 2-10 mark for the Golden Hurricane despite statistics more indicative of a close to .500 club. Tulsa lost six games by 10 or fewer points and really struggled to stop the run allowing 5.9 yards per rush and 265 rushing yards per game. This year’s team is a great bounce-back candidate as one of the AAC’s most experienced teams with proven performers on both sides of the ball. The schedule is difficult with Tulsa likely to be a hefty underdog in all six road games but there are winnable home games ahead and one upset could swing the Hurricane into being a bowl candidate. The passing game had a huge drop off last season but Philip Montgomery should be able to get his offense back closer to the strong scoring numbers of 2015 and 2016.

SMU: Chad Morris showed improvement in all three seasons at SMU and it was enough to get him hired at Arkansas, leaving the program in shambles ahead of an embarrassing Frisco Bowl performance. Sonny Dykes led the team in that bowl game and while it was a scramble for the coaching staff the extra time with the players can’t hurt heading into the 2018 transition. Last year’s team caught some breaks with three very narrow conference wins to only finish 4-4 in league play and the non-conference schedule brings two impossible tests in September. Four of six home games in Dallas will be difficult as the best opportunities for wins could come on the road. Ultimately a decline in win count looks nearly certain in year one for Dykes at SMU even with one of the better returning quarterbacks and good experience back on defense.

Tulane: Willie Fritz has a Tulane team that will be capable of a few upsets this season. The Wave shocked Houston last season and came close in a few other AAC games with narrow losses vs. bowl teams South Florida and SMU. The option attack has required a transition but having a returning quarterback helps even if Dontrell Hillard now needs to be replaced in the backfield. Tulane has just three road wins in two years under Fritz and they will need to find a way to win on the road to have a chance at improving on last season’s 5-7 record. Drawing only one of the East powers helps the cause but the top two West threats take up two of the home dates in American play as the Wave look likely to fall just short of a bowl bid yet again.

Tokens
Big 12 Outlook
July 27, 2018

Many felt like adding a Big XII title game would cost the conference a possible playoff bid but last season Oklahoma managed to survive a rematch with TCU and was selected into the national field. In four seasons Oklahoma has represented the conference twice in the College Football Playoffs but no other team has been selected and the conference is still searching for its first victory on that stage.

This season the conference lacks a clear frontrunner as getting a team to go 10-0 in the always deep league looks unlikely. Last season the Sooners were able to shake off the home upset loss to Iowa State on the strength of their victory over Ohio State in non-conference play but they won’t have that margin of error this season. Ultimately a competitive race looks likely on top of the conference this season and getting a one-loss team in the tournament might be a challenge.

Here is an early look at the 10 Big XII teams ahead of the 2018-19 season.

Texas: Tom Herman led Texas to its best win count since 2013 last season even if the expectations were much higher as a high profile hire that led dramatic success at Houston in just two seasons. Texas lost exclusively close games last season and had erratic defensive performances despite being one of the nation’s top run defenses. The offensive production also dropped by nearly 100 yards per game compared with Charlie Strong’s 2016 squad in Austin. This year’s team will be one of the more experienced Big XII groupings. The schedule is similar to last season facing both Maryland and USC again for a tough non-conference schedule but the Trojans will visit Austin as will TCU and West Virginia. Ultimately the Red River Rivalry game will determine whether or not Texas takes a big leap or has another decent season that isn’t up to the expectations of the Longhorns brass.

Oklahoma: Oklahoma was stunned at home against Iowa State last October but the Sooners rallied to return to the College Football Playoffs for the second time in three years. Oklahoma wound up on the wrong side of an epic battle with Georgia but it was an impressive first season for Lincoln Riley who took over suddenly for Bob Stoops last summer. Replacing the #1 pick in the NFL draft plus several other top contributors will be a challenge but this should remain a top offense team with Kyler Murray likely to quarterback the team for one season before pursuing a baseball career. Oklahoma was not an elite defensive team last season and it will be difficult to match the amazing production the Sooners had under Baker Mayfield. The schedule offers Oklahoma a realistic opportunity to run the table but they won’t have a marquee non-conference win like they did last season after beating Ohio State. That could mean little margin for error for a program that always seems to have at least one stumble in the regular season.

TCU: Gary Patterson has led TCU to 11 or more wins in three of the last four seasons as it would be foolish to count out the Frogs as a serious Big XII threat. TCU loses a lot of key players from a very good defense from last season and they also need to break in a new quarterback. TCU faces Ohio State, Texas, and Oklahoma in the first seven games of the season as there will be opportunities to move up in the national and conference race with notable wins but it also means the Frogs could reach last season’s loss count rather early. TCU has gone undefeated at home three of the past four seasons and if they accomplish that again in 2018 a top three finish in the Big XII looks assured with five of nine games in Fort Worth, although a road heavy September could take a toll on the season goals.

West Virginia: Dana Holgorsen should finally feel some security in Morgantown with winning results in six of seven seasons. Will Grier returns for the Mountaineers after posting some of the nation’s best numbers last season prior to an injury that changed the trajectory of the season. TCU and Oklahoma will visit Morgantown this season as the Mountaineers will have opportunities for big wins with an offense that should be among the most productive in the conference if not the nation. The defense struggled at times last season however and has minimal depth back in action as shootouts should be the norm with Grier capable of being the top quarterback in the conference and a Heisman sleeper.

Oklahoma State: Oklahoma State has won 10 or more games in six of the last eight seasons but they have been stopped at 10 the past three seasons with expectations of a possible breakthrough to a Big XII title or a playoff bid. Highly productive quarterback Mason Rudolph departs but most of the backfield is intact as this can still be an above average offensive team. The defense should remain a stable though not dominant group but the schedule ahead in 2018 looks like a challenge. Five Big XII road games are ahead including several difficult tests and a non-conference game with Boise State lurks as a dangerous September matchup. Matching the 10-win level of recent years looks like a reach for the Cowboys this season.

Kansas State: Kansas State lost five times last season but four of those misses were by seven or fewer points as the Wildcats found a way to compete even with one of the lesser offenses in the Big XII and a revolving quarterback situation. The offense could be better this season with much more experience but the defense could regress for a second straight season. While Kansas State had mostly close losses last season they also had several narrow fortunate wins as this team was soundly out-gained on the season despite a solid scoring differential. Coach Snyder always finds a way to keep this team in the mix as another winning season shouldn’t be ruled out.

Iowa State: Matt Campbell eschewed opportunities elsewhere to stay in Ames where last season’s 8-5 campaign was a historic rise for the Cyclones. Wins over Oklahoma and TCU were incredibly impressive and the Cyclones also stopped a great Memphis offense for a bowl win. Matching that success will be a challenge and Iowa State plays the heavyweights early in the Big XII campaign this season. Several key players are back as this is a program with average experience and while there were narrow wins last season all five losses came by 10 or fewer points as well as a more dramatic breakthrough had been possible. Iowa State is no longer the conference doormat and will be a competitive team likely on the bowl border.

Texas Tech: Kliff Kingsbury has done enough to stay on in Lubbock with five underwhelming seasons and a 30-33 record. There have been some close calls but still a few blowout losses every year to paint the gap between the Red Raiders and the elite teams in the conference. Texas Tech showed a dramatic improvement on defense last season and with 10 starters back the Red Raiders can take another stride to shake off their former reputation as perennially one of the worst defensive teams in the nation. The offense has some question marks however needing a third new starting quarterback in three seasons and losing most of the top receivers from last season. Oklahoma and Texas both play in Lubbock but that might mean fewer realistic opportunities for wins with a pair of challenging non-conference games in September as well.

Baylor: Matt Rhule stepped into a very tough situation at Baylor and a 1-11 season was the result. Baylor did show signs of progress late in the season and should show improvement but getting back to being a Big XII force looks like it will take a long rebuilding process. This will be one of the most experienced teams in the nation thanks to a lot of young players getting time last season and Charlie Brewer gave the offense life after taking over at quarterback. Statistically this didn’t look like a 1-11 squad that lost to a FCS school in September and if the Bears play all season like they did last November a handful of wins will follow.

Kansas:
Kansas has been patient with a major transition hitting year four for David Beaty and a combined three wins in three seasons. The non-conference schedule offers three viable opportunities for Kansas but the gap with the rest of the Big XII remains severe with only one Big XII loss even within 15 points last season. 19 starters return for Kansas as the pieces are there to take a step forward but it remains a steep uphill climb in Lawrence and the best opportunities for conference wins this season will unfortunately all be road games.

Tokens
Pac-12 Outlook
July 27, 2018

This is a big season for the Pac-12 coming off a disastrous bowl campaign with only one win from nine postseason squads. That win came from Utah in a minor game as marquee game defeats from Stanford, Washington, USC, Washington State, and UCLA led to an ugly national storyline out West. The poor results led to a number of coaching changes with five of 12 programs making moves in the off-season.

Despite a few transition seasons underway the Pac-12 has a few teams that could make a run in the national picture. The balance of power is tilted north with Oregon, Washington, and Stanford considered threats for a championship but the depth in that division might make it difficult for a clear cut national playoff contender to emerge.

The conference has just one touchdown over the past three College Football Playoffs but getting a team through this conference 10-0 might prove to be a challenge.

North Outlook

Washington:
Following an appearance in the College Football Playoffs expectations remained sky high last season as Washington went through a mildly disappointing 10-3 season, falling short of the North division title and ending the season with a Fiesta Bowl loss to Penn State. For a program that went winless a decade ago a third straight double-digit win season looks possible in 2018. Washington returns Jake Browning at quarterback and Myles Gaskin at running back while a defense that allowed just 16.1 points per game last season returns nine starters. The schedule gets a major upgrade this season with an opener in Atlanta against Auburn that will determine whether or not the Huskies are a national threat. USC and Arizona are absent from the South draw and Stanford visits Seattle as the Pac-12 slate lines up favorably for the Huskies to finish on top.

Stanford: Stanford lost five times last season but David Shaw is now 73-22 in seven seasons with last season’s 9-5 mark the second worst record for the Cardinal in that span. The Cardinal has not cracked the College Football Playoff yet but this year’s team has that potential. K.J. Costello and an elite receiving corps will surround Heisman candidate Bryce Love as this should be a very effective offense even if not among the nation’s most prolific offensive teams. Stanford actually had its worst defensive numbers under Shaw last season and that unit has question marks for 2018 as well. The biggest hurdle for Stanford is the schedule however with two very tough non-conference games plus road games vs. the two chief division threats while drawing South division favorite USC. Stanford has a team capable of beating anyone but running the table looks unlikely with the path ahead.

Oregon: Oregon rebounded to win seven games last season after the stunning 4-8 2016 season but after just one season Willie Taggert left the program for Florida State. Offensive coordinator Mario Cristobal steps in as it won’t be a complete transition and Cristobal has head coaching experience. The Ducks have decent returning experience and if Justin Herbert can stay healthy they have the makings of a high quality offensive team. Oregon actually had its best defensive numbers in several years last season but a down Pac-12 was a factor. Oregon will play an extremely light non-conference schedule as a strong start should be expected and this is a sleeper in the North as both Stanford and Washington visit Eugene while Oregon avoids USC from the South. If things break right Oregon could be back in the national spotlight again.

California:
A 5-7 season doesn’t generally earn a lot of praise but first year head coach Justin Wilcox inherited an inexperienced team and turned in a pair of prominent non-conference wins last September. A 3-0 start fizzled with a 2-7 Pac-12 mark but the Bears were very competitive in most games and this team could take a big stride forward in 2018. 18 starters are back to top the conference in experience but the statistics from last season offer some concern as the Bears were ultimately out-gained by 45 yards per game on average. The challenge for Cal will be that the three North powers all visit Berkeley as a tough home slate is waiting and this team won just once on the road last season.

Washington State: Mike Leach has revitalized his career at Washington State with the Cougars going from being one of the nation’s worst power conference teams to three straight bowl bids while Washington State has often been in the Pac-12 North race into November. The 2018 season presents an impossible challenge however with Luke Falk graduating and the sad death of Tyler Hilinski leaving the team with inexperience at quarterback and only 10 returning starters. Washington State has one of the most difficult South draws and while they nab five home games in Pac-12 play it is a difficult set of games. Making a fourth straight bowl game would be a great accomplishment for Leach and the Cougars given the circumstances.

Oregon State: There is nowhere to go but up for Oregon State with Jonathan Smith taking over a Beavers team that didn’t win a FBS game last season. After an awkward coaching departure the Beavers did produce a few competitive games down the stretch and improving on awful turnover luck from last season could lead to improvement. The Beavers are likely still the clear bottom team in the conference and they have to open the season at Ohio State but there are a few decent opportunities ahead in Corvallis as signs of progress look possible. With a couple of legacy pieces back on the staff there should be renewed enthusiasm for the program and in a Pac-12 that wasn’t very good last season and has several programs in transition, the opportunity to close the gap may be there.

South Outlook

USC:
USC has 21 wins the past two seasons under Clay Helton but a playoff invitation was expected of this powerhouse program that featured one of the top quarterbacks in the nation. Sam Darnold is off to the NFL and while a few other key players also depart from last season’s 11-win squad, there is solid returning experience to make the Trojans the clear favorite in the Pac-12 South. USC has taken on a daunting schedule in recent years and two heavyweight non-conference games are again ahead while the conference slate features five road games including playing at Stanford. Avoiding Washington is a plus however and the Trojans won’t likely need to be perfect to win this division.

Arizona: Off the field allegations opened the door for Arizona to make a coaching change after last season even with a comeback bowl season for Rich Rodriguez. The Wildcats nabbed Kevin Sumlin to provide credibility in the transition and this is a team that can compete immediately. Khalil Tate was one of the most exciting players in the conference last season and Arizona draws an ideal conference schedule with five home dates while avoiding both Washington and Stanford. The defense has nine returning starters even if it was a unit that allowed 471 yards per game last season as Arizona is likely to be back in the postseason and lurks as a serious threat in this division should USC falter.

Colorado:
After the 10-win breakthrough in 2016 Colorado fell to just 5-7 last season needing to replace most of the key players from the South division championship team. This year’s team again is light on experience but the Buffaloes have a fairly attractive conference slate ahead as getting back to postseason eligibility is within reach. Colorado won just twice in a down season for the Pac-12 last year but most defeats were in tight games and the defense is likely to post improved numbers in 2018 after taking a big step back last season. Mike MacIntyre has the opportunity to stabilize the Buffaloes into a steady bowl performer in the years to come.

Utah: Utah has declined in win count the past two seasons but last year’s squad was likely better than the 7-6 record indicated. The Utes shuffled through two quarterbacks and had much better statistics that the record suggests, out-gaining foes by 75 yards per game but losing four single-score results in Pac-12 play. Utah will play five conference road games while pulling all three of the North contenders as Utah has a difficult path ahead. This was a bowl team and the lone bowl victor from the Pac-12 last season even with a 3-6 conference record and Kyle Whittingham has provided consistent success in Salt Lake City in now his 14th season.

Arizona State: Arizona State made one of the more curious coaching hires in recent years luring former NFL head coach Herm Edwards out of the TV studio. While Edwards hasn’t been on the sidelines in a decade he is a well known football mind that will resonate with players in a talent rich recruiting base. Unlike most new head coaches Edwards takes over a team that was pretty successful with Todd Graham leading the Sun Devils to a bowl game in five of the past six seasons and the Sun Devils won six Pac-12 games last season. The offense should remain productive but Edwards will have work to do rebuilding the Sun Devils on defense. Relative to its South division peers Arizona State has a more difficult schedule pulling the top three North teams and featuring five Pac-12 road games.

UCLA: Chip Kelly returns to the college coaching ranks at UCLA but instant success seems unlikely with a dramatic scheme change and the loss of quarterback Josh Rosen. The Bruins couldn’t maintain Jim Mora’s early success with back-to-back losing seasons but injuries played a significant role in the failure to meet expectations. UCLA has a tough non-conference schedule to open the season and while the Bruins get five Pac-12 home games they are all difficult games as there are not many sure-wins ahead on this schedule particularly for a program that has gone 1-11 on the road the past two years. The first year for Kelly might be a challenge resembling his failed season up the coast with the 49ers.

Tokens
MWC Mountain Preview
July 27, 2018

West Preview

MOUNTAIN WEST - MOUNTAIN PREVIEW

(SU - Straight Up, ATS - Against the Spread, O/U - Over/Under)

Back where it should be on top of the Mountain West in 2017, Boise State (2017 SU 11-3; ATS 8-5-1, O/U 6-8) is once again aiming higher this fall, with legit designs on a return to the New Year’s Six bowl mix as the rep of the “Group of Six” conferences. It wouldn’t be the first time for the Broncos, who turned a similar trick in 2014 in what was the first season for HC Bryan Harsin, topping Arizona 38-30 in a wild Fiesta Bowl. After subsequently kicking away the Mountain half of the MW in the next two seasons to Air Force and Wyoming, respectively, the Broncos used a 7-game midseason win streak to sew up a return to the conference title game, which Boise used to avenge a regular-season defeat at Fresno State. Real excitement for 2018, however, was generated in a 38-28 cruise past Oregon in the Las Vegas Bowl that wasn’t as close as the final scoreline suggests.

Along the way, Harsin has become as well-established on the blue carpet as predecessors Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, and Chris Petersen, though they are rightly concerned in the state capital that Harsin could be lured away like the others. Harsin has been in the mix for a couple of Pac-12 jobs in recent years and figures to stay on the radar of Power 5 openings, but for the time being seems content in Boise, which has made several concessions to keep Harsin in the fold, including enhanced compensation for assistants and continuing improvement to what is now called Albertson’s Stadium, which unveiled plans for expansion while campaigning for inclusion in the Big 12 a few years ago.

By Bronco standards, last year’s 32.5 ppg was a bit pedestrian (indeed, it was Boise’s lowest scoring output since 2012), but the pieces are in place for an even more-explosive mix this fall. Vet QB Brett Rypien is now a senior and the active FBS leader in career passing yards (9876). After sharing snaps with Kansas transfer Montell Cozart early in the season, Rypien was in charge down the stretch and for the long win streak, tossing just one pick in the last right reg.-season games. The latest recruiting class is full of receivers who could make an impact (watch true frosh Khalil Shakir, who was courted by much of the Pac-12), and several returnees are expected to step into the breach, especially soph Octavius Evans, the star of spring work. Boise has now featured a 1000-yard rusher for nine straight seasons, and jr. Alexander Mattison looks to make it ten in a row after motoring for 1086 YR a year ago. Five linemen who made at least one start last fall populate the OL.

It’s on defense, however, where the Broncos have been constantly underrated for the last decade, and where they made their real mark a year ago, finishing a very respectable 21st overall in national rankings. Best of all, nine starters are back, though one of the vacancies is that of impact LB Leighton Vander Esch, a first-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys in late April. All three starters are back on a DL with a combined 56 starts among them, and one that helped fuel a 17th-ranked rush defense. The secondary is extremely deep, paced by jrs. DeAndre Pierce and Kekoa Nawahine, who combined for 191 tackles last season. The platoon and its many ball-hawks helped fuel an impressive +13 TO margin that ranked 9th nationally.

Now, for that New Year’s Six candidacy; to be taken seriously, Boise is going to probably have to win September dates at Troy and Oklahoma State. The Mountain half of the MW is tricky, and West heavyweights Fresno and San Diego State are both on the schedule, though each will have to play on the blue carpet. A look at the slate in summer, however, suggests that the only game where Boise might project as an underdog is at Stillwater. The opportunity for a memorable campaign is present.

Spread-wise, a puzzling and enduring trend has been Boise’s overvalue as home chalk; laying points on the blue carpet, the Broncos are now 13-31-1 since the 2010 season. (Last year it was only 2-4-1.) Harsin, however, was 6-1 vs. the line away last year, and broke a recent slump against bogey team Air Force, which had upset the Broncos three straight years and covered five in a row in the series before Boise won 44-19 in mid-November.

Talk about some interesting forks-in-the-road. After the 2014 season, Oregon State, looking to fill its coaching job that became vacant when Mike Riley bolted to Nebraska, made a call to Wisconsin HC Gary Andersen to inquire about Utah State (2017 SU 6-7; ATS 6-7; O/U 8-4-1) HC Matt Wells, a former Andersen aide in Logan who had taken his first two Utag teams to bowl wins. Beaver inquiries, however, apparently never reached Wells, as Andersen decided that he was interested in the Corvallis opening and soon took the OSU job instead. (Anderson would leave prematurely from the Beavers last season, but we’ll delve into that a bit further when we get to our Pac-12 previews).

Fast forward to 2018, and Wells is still at Utah State, and still waiting for another call from a Pac-12 entry. Wells’ star has fallen a bit the past few years, as the Ags haven’t finished above .500 the past three campaigns. No one considers him on the hot seat, however, as Wells did steer USU back to a bowl last December (though not memorable, a bitter OT loss to aroused New Mexico State) and has only missed the postseason once in five seasons at Logan.

Many MW observers are convinced that Wells is sitting on his best USU team since the 2014 version finished 10-4 and whipped UTEP in the New Mexico Bowl. A slew of starters (16 overall, including 9 on offense) are back in the fold. That would include soph QB Jordan Love, who looked electric at times in his six starts as a RS frosh last fall. The big play is part of the arsenal for Love, who passed for 353 more yards despite completing only 5 more passes than the QB for the first half of last season, sr. Kent Myers. All-name sr. wideout Ron’quavion Tarver (48 catches last season) is already established as a dangerous downfield threat and will benefit from a full spring with Love at QB. A new feature RB must be uncovered after LaJuan Hunt’s graduation, but touted juco Darwin Thompson and former WR Gerold Bright (who moved to RB late last season) should ably handle the overland chores as they run behind a vet OL returning all five starters.

The Utag “D” made upgrades last fall and returns 7 starters, though d.c. Kendrick Shaver has moved to Washington State. Veteran Keith Patterson comes over from Arizona State to share duties with holdover Frank Maile, and will oversee one of the top pass defenses in the MW and one that ranked 19th nationally a year ago. The Utags lost a pair of All-MW DBs, but RS frosh Andre Grayson wowed ‘em in spring and likely steps into a CB spot opposite returnee Camerion Haney. Touted juco DJ Willaims could also get invovled in the CB mix. Former TCU LB Tipa Galeai arrives as a transfer and potential big-play contributor after recording 5.5 tackles for loss as a Horned Frog in 2016.

As a year ago, the Ags open their schedule on a Friday night in Big Ten territory (last year Wisconsin, this year Michigan State), but we’ll probably get a better idea of where USU stands when it faces New Mexico State in an Arizona Bowl rematch the following week. The MW schedule is tricky, with trips to Mountain contenders Wyoming, Colorado State, and Boise State, but the Utags miss the expected heavyweights from the West half of the loop, Fresno State and San Diego State. Expect another bowl trip, with the hope that Love stays healthy and progresses enough for the Nov. 24 game on the blue carpet at Boise to be the decider for the the top spot in the Mountain half of the loop.

Spread-wise, Wells was able to stop the bleeding last season when USU entered the campaign having dropped 14 of its previous 17 vs. the number; the Utags were 6-7 vs. the line last term, not great but also not the extended spread slump that began midway in the 2015 campaign. A negative spread trend endured thru 2017, however, as the Utags have now dropped 7 in a row vs. the line against non-conference foes away from Logan.

While we have all the respect in the world for HC Craig Bohl, we have to wonder how Wyoming (2017 SU 8-5; ATS 8-5; O/U 2-10-1) is going to fare minus QB Josh Allen, a first-round pick of the Buffalo Bills. We know some of the responses; even with Allen in the fold for most of last year, Wyo finished in triple digits nationally in almost every relevant statistical category, including passing (104th). But without Allen late last season, the Cowboys put only 7 points on the board in a home loss to Fresno State before truly embarrassing themselves when losing at woeful San Jose State. Allen returned for a Potato Bowl romp past Central Michigan..but don’t cite the team stats and try to tell us Allen’s presence wasn’t meaningful.

The fact is that it was quite a feat for Allen to look good and gain the attention of the NFL running a horse-and-buggy offense more designed for Jerry Tagge and 1970 Nebraska by Husker alum Bohl, who earlier in his decorated career at North Dakota State wooed a QB named Carson Wentz (who didn’t start for the Bison during the Bohl reign). Bohl’s credentials as a coach, however, are not based upon explosive offenses, rather a commitment to fundamentals, running the football, defense, and limiting mistakes. In all of those areas, Bohl’s teams usually excel.

Last season, that was especially true of a defense that forced an eye-opening 38 giveaways en route to a staggering +24 turnover margin, a clear number one in the nation. That the Cowboys didn’t win more than eight games with that sort of advantage in such an all-important category might be an indictment of the Bohl offense, but we digress. The “D” ranked 9th nationally last year in scoring (17.5 ppg) and returns eight starters for coordinator Scottie Hazelton, who knew the MW from an earlier stint at Nevada. Two first-team All-MW performers (DE Carl Granderson and DT Youhanna Ghaifan) are back to anchor the DL, while the safety due of seniors Andrew Wingard and Marcus Epps combined for nine picks in 2017 and might be one of the MW’s, if not the nation’s, best. No worries, then, about the Wyo defense.

It’s offense where we have some legit post-Allen concerns. Senior QB Nick Smith has a handful of starts in his career, but also the stain of piloting that inexcusable loss at San Jose late last November. He’ll have to fend off RS frosh Tyler Vander Waal, who looks a better long-term option. All of the top receivers return, though it is hoped that top deep threat jr. CJ Johnson (17.7 yards per catch in 2017) has recovered from a knee injury in the bowl win in time for the opener at New Mexico State. More pop is needed from soph RB Trey Woods, the leading returning rusher who barely gained 3.5 ypc a season ago. The entirety of the OL returns in tact, but won’t be blocking for an NFL first-round QB draftee (Allen) as a year ago.

Last year, Wyo (with Allen) was outscored a combined 73-16 by Power 5 foes Iowa and Oregon, so there is reason to fret about back-to-back September tests vs. Mike Leach’s Washington State (at Laramie) and a trip to Missouri to face QB Drew Lock, a possible first-round NFL draft pick next April. Bohl will be hoping his QB situation has settled somewhat in time for the MW opener at War Memorial Stadium vs. Mountain favorite Boise State on September 29.

Spread-wise, Bohl has made a bit of a fortress out of Laramie, standing 11-3-1 vs. the line his last 15 as host. And the Cowboys did run off a 7-game spread win streak last fall in games started by Allen until the late-season Fresno loss. “Totals”-wise, note that Wyo also enters 2018 on a 12-2-1 “under” run.

We’ve seen Air Force (2017 SU 5-7; ATS 5-7; O/U 8-4) look as if it was about to drop off of the map before. Most recently, after the 2013 season, in which an injury-ravaged Falcon team dipped to a woeful 2-10. But underestimate the Force, and HC Troy Calhoun, at your own risk; Calhoun rallied the subsequent 2014 team to a surprising ten wins. Which reminded a bit of his initial Falcon team back in 2007 that finished a surprising 9-4 on the heels of a 4-8 mark in Fisher DeBerry’s final season. Indeed, last year’s 5-7 was only the second sub-.500 mark in Calhoun’s 11 years as HC at the foot of Pike’s Peak. And the program has not endured back-to-back losing campaigns since the end of the DeBerry era.

For those reasons, this looks like a potential “Calhoun special” in 2018 at Falcon Stadium. Expectations are tempered. Army and Navy have better cases to make for the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy. And Air Force is truly flying under the radar.

Just as Calhoun likes it.

Granted, there are various issues, especially on an offense that returns only four starters and will have a mostly-new OL (though such turnover along the forward wall is not uncommon for a Service Academy team). Tim McVey, one of the most-versatile tailbacks in recent Air Force memory, is one of those who graduated. More consistency is needed from now-sr. QB Arion Worthman, one of the most physically-gifted Force QBs of the option era that began way back in the Kenny Hatfield regime of the early ‘80s. Worthman at times appeared a one-man team last season, though Calhoun option-based offenses rarely function at their bext when the QB does too much; Worthman called his own number too often a year ago, as his whopping 22 carries pg were a Falcon high for QBs in the Calhoun era (no other Calhoun QB avergaed more than 14 carries). Though the pass is still an occasional diversion for the Force, Worthman was too erratic in his limited aerial sorties, too, completing barely 49%. Now-jr. Isaiah Sanders ran the offense as efficiently late in the season after a Worthman injury and threatens to take snaps if Worthman sags. Still, another top-ten rushing attack (ranked 4th a year ago) should hum as usual even with rebuilding up front and new featured backs needing to be identified. But jr. Joseph Saucier looked a dangerous lead back in spring, and sr. WR Reggie Cleveland has flashed big-play potential. We’re trusting Calhoun here to field another quirky attack that will keep foes off balance.

The offense, however, isn’t a much of a concern as the defense that proceeds without longtime coordinator Steve Russ, adept at squeezing the most out of his troops but promoted to the NFL ranks on Ron Rivera’s Carolina Panthers staff. Even Russ, however, couldn’t plug the leaks up front a year ago as the Falcs allowed a ghastly 6 ypc, the nation’s worst mark. It is hoped that soph DE Jordan Jackson, who looked dominant in spring, can become the sort of playmaker to lead the platoon. Junior NT Mosese Fifita is the rare Air Fiorce 300-pounder. The Falcs did finish 10th nationally vs. the pass a year ago, but that might have been more a byproduct of foes choosing instead to run at will vs. the soft AFA defensive front. Senior Kyle Flood is an important cog from the hybrid “stud” position, but the best Falcon defenses in recent memory has excelled at forcing turnovers; last year’s stop unit didn’t, contributing to a -10 TO margin, ranking a poor 120th.

With Army now on the ascent, and Navy still feisty, the schedule has one more speed bump than in most recent years. An early-season trip to Lane Kiffin’s Florida Atlantic might prove a better indicator if the Falcs are up for a rebound year and an eventual return to a bowl, which would be Calhoun’s 10th in 12 seasons. We wouldn't bet against it.

Spread-wise, 2017 was also subpar (just 5-7), but Calhoun continued to be worth a look in the underdog role, covering 3 of 5, improving his mark getting points to 13-6 since 2014. The Force didn’t continue its recent mastery of Boise State a year ago, but had covered five in a row vs. the Broncos into 2017. There is no explanation, however, for the mastery Bob Davie’s New Mexico (won last five SU, covered last six) has held over Calhoun’s Falcs.

There was a time last season when Colorado State (2017 SU 7-6; ATS 4-9; O/U 7-6) was wondering how long it might be able to hang onto HC Mike Bobo, who was in the process of leading the Rams to their best season on his 3-year watch. There were heady times in Fort Collins in mid-October, with the excitement of a new on-campus stadium and a 6-2 record, with the only losses against Power 5 Colorado and Alabama (the latter a more-than-respectable 41-23 loss in Tuscaloosa). Late in the season, however, the Rams had the look of fading horse in the stretch drive at Santa Anita, dropping four of their last five, including a couple of numbing home losses to Air Force and Boise State (the latter in OT after blowing a big lead). CSU backers at Nevada sports books also took the brunt as the Rams dropped their last 7 vs. the number, including numerous breakdowns in a New Mexico Bowl loss vs. Marshall.

Those CSU fans looking for a silver lining, however, might note that Bobo, a former Georgia QB and alum and as southern as a Waffle House, was no longer on the in-demand list, especially in his native SEC, which had six coaching openings after last season. And while Bobo stays in Fort Collins, there are questions if last season’s late fade was just a temporary blip on the radar or an indicator of more problems to come.

There is much replenishment to do on an offense that lost one of the program’s all-time QBs, Nick Stevens, who left as CSU’s career TD pass leader (70). Moreover, star WR Michael Gallup moved to the NFL as a draftee of the Dallas Cowboys. Overall, only four starters return, and the QB job now appears in the hands of Washington grad transfer K.J. Carta-Samuels after soph Collin Hill, who redshirted a year ago after making a brief appearance as a starter in 2016, suffered his second ACL tear in 17 months just before spring practice. Another transfer, ex-Tennessee WR Preston Williams, will be counted upon to pick up some of the slack left by Gallup’s departure. There is some experience at the RB spots, and sr. Izzy Matthews is a punishing 220-pounder who has racked up almost 2000 career rush yards. The transfer theme also includes sr. LT TJ Roundtree, over from Louisville. But much pressure rests upon Carta-Samuels, whose mobility will be worked into the new schemes, but whose durability will be crucial as there is no experience behind him as long as Hill remains sidelined, perhaps until midseason, if he is available at all.

More adjustments are due for a defense that faded as last year progressed and has enlisted a new coordinator, John Jancek, after the retirement of Marty English (who, interestingly, must have gotten tired of fishing and golf as he un-retired a few months later, resurfacing at Northern Colorado). Jancek, formerly at Tennessee, will alter the alignments from the 3-4 preferred by English to a standard 4-3. He inherits some playmakers, including sr. MLB Josh Watson, one of the MW’s best, and an all-upperclass 2ndary anchored by FS Jordan Fogal, a former Utah transfer. Rice grad transfer V.J. Banks is likely to step in at a CB spot.

Bobo’s potential problems do not end with the many personnel changes that come with losing 13 starters. The schedule is by far the MW’s toughest, with a pair of SEC foes (Arkansas, making a rare trek to the Mountain Ttime Zone, and Florida) in back-to-back September weeks, right after facing Pac-12 Colorado in the annual in-state grudge match at Denver. That battle vs. the nearby Buffs comes on August 31, just six days after an early home opener vs. Hawaii, making CSU the only team we recall with two games in August!

Spread-wise, we mention again the seven straight spread losses Bobo endured down the stretch last season. All a sharp departure from 2016 when the Rams sported a sparkling 9-3-1 spread mark. The shiny new CSU Stadium also did not prove the pointspread fortress as did old Hughes Stadium in the foothills; after recording a 20-9-1 mark vs. line the last five seasons at Hughes, CSU was just 2-5 vs. the number at home a season ago.

After the program appeared to finally get back on course a few years ago, there looks to be a dust storm forming at New Mexico (2017 SU 3-9; ATS 4-8; O/U 3-9) in the wake of last fall’s about-face. It’s more ominous, however, than the fact the Lobos didn’t win after Columbus Day; the architect of an apparent revival in Albuquerque, HC Bob Davie, found himself ensnared in controversy late last season and would end up suspended from his job for 30 days in January due to reported administrative interference in reports of abusive behavior by UNM football players. Coaches have been known to recover from such self-inflicted wounds, but it becomes a much more complicated when the team is losing. As the Lobos did often last season.

All of which has some Mountain West observers justifiably puzzled, as Davie looked to have done a remarkable reclamation job at University Stadium after inheriting a carcass of a program from the disastrous regime of predecessor Mike Locksley (who was dismissed before the 2011 campaign hit the halfway mark). UNM was just 3-33 from 2009-11. Enter Davie, who had such an itch to coach again that he left a cushy job as an ESPN analyst to tackle what looked like a dead-end assignment. After acknowledging acute defensive shortcomings, Davie installed the Pistol offense in hopes of developing a ball-control infantry that could keep the suspect “D” off of the field. It worked enough to get the Lobos competitive from the outset and into the hometown New Mexico Bowl for the 2015 & ‘16 seasons, and prompted many to believe that it would be the perfect time for Davie to exit, stage left, his and the program’s reputations sufficiently healed. Not the worst final chapter for a long career. But Davie stuck around, and then came 3-9, as things went a bit more than pear-shaped a year ago.

Prospects appear a bit troubling for this coming fall as well. The Pistol look on attack that produced some the nation’s best rush numbers as recently as 2016 has been replaced by a spread option now coordinated by Calvin Magee, formerly on the Rich Rodriguez staff at Arizona and successor to Bob DeBesse, who moved to Georgia Southern in a similar role. Soph QB Tevaka Tuioto, who got a good look last season filling in for the oft-injured Lamar Jordan, will get the first look in the pilot’s chair, though juco Sheriron Jones, a former Tennessee recruit, could emerge as another option. Passing stats, which have been in the Army/Navy range in recent seasons and ranking 123rd nationally a year ago, figure to improve, with previously overlooked receiving targets like soph Jay Griffin V (29 catches LY) now likely to be featured. Junior Elijah Lilly, a returner threat with two career KR TDs, and a former DB, has been moved to offense and could emerge as a deep threat wideout. Senior RB Tyrone Owens (770 YR LY) is not likely to be featured as prominently in the new-look offense, and will be running behind a line with four new starters. Another touted juco, RB Ahmari Davis, should steal some carries from Owens.

Davie’s defenses have improved from the roadkill versions of his first years on the job, with longtime d.c. Kevin Cosgrove proving adept at mixing and matching different looks and coverages out of his 3-3-5 alignments to compensate for a general lack of playmakers and depth. But the pass “D” suffered a year ago, partly because of a lack of consistent pressure on opposing QBs. Six starters return, including both CBs (srs. D’Angelo Ross & Jalin Burrell), but as usual, the Lobos will be only hoping to contain, not stonewall, most of their opponents.

Various regional observers believe Davie needs a good start to keep the vultures from circling before midseason, and a manageable non-league slate (save for a Sept. 8 trip to Wisconsin) could help. Already, many Lobo fans believe the MW opener at UNLV on October 6 might be the most-important game of the Davie era; a loss at Sam Boyd Stadium could start another 2017-like tailspin, one that Davie and staff might not survive. Stay tuned.

Spread-wise, Davie has been formful in a few roles, especially as chalk, was has been a no-go zone lately for the Lobos (they’re 2-11 their last 13 laying points, including 0-5 a year ago). Curiously, the one MW foe that Davie has owned has been Air Force, covering all six since 2012 vs. the Falcons. Davie, however, is 0-6 SU and 1-5 vs. the line against Colorado State.

Tokens
MWC West Preview
July 27, 2018

Mountain Preview

MOUNTAIN WEST - WEST PREVIEW

(SU - Straight Up, ATS - Against the Spread, O/U - Over/Under)

In English soccer, think Roy Hodgson, Sam Allardyce, or Tony Pulis, managers whose specialty seems to be pulling teams out of trouble and avoiding the dreaded drop. Their equivalent in college football could be Jeff Tedford, who took over at Fresno State (2017 SU 10-4; ATS 10-2-2; O/U 4-10) just as the Bulldogs looked ready for relegation to the Big Sky when they collapsed to 1-11 in the preceding final season for the regime of Tim DeRuyter, who was humanely relieved before the 2016 campaign concluded. In the process last fall FSU won the West half of the Mountain West, beat Houston in the Hawaii Bowl, and became just the second FBS team to go from double-digit losses to double-digit wins.

Such turnarounds are nothing new for Tedford, who inherited a 1-win mess from Tom Holmoe at Cal in 2002 and had the Golden Bears in the national top ten within two years. And best of all for the Bulldogs, alum Tedford (a QB for Jim Sweeney’s teams in the early ‘80s) is probably not looking to make another move at this stage of his career.

Tedford, whose past QB pupils have included Trent Dilfer, Joey Harrington, and Aaron Rodgers, worked some of his magic again a year ago with Oregon State transfer Marcus McMaryion, who solidified what looked to be a precarious position for last season’s Dogs, taking over the starting job for the MW opener vs. Nevada. Though McMaryion experienced a few dips, he ended up passing for 2726 yards and returns most of his key weapons, including sr. WR KeeSean Johnson (77 catches LY) and the three-headed rushing trio of Jordan Mims, Josh Hokit, and Ronnie Rivers (recovering from injury). Tedford and o.c. Kevin DeBoer have juggled some positions on the OL, but three starters return up front, and there is every indication the “O” improves upon its 27 ppg from a year ago.

Whether the strike force improves as much as last year’s “D” is asking a lot after FSU made a remarkable turnaround on the stop end, shaving almost two TDs off of its ppg allowance (30.9 to 17.9 ppg!) while ascending to national rankings of 11th in total “D” and 10th in scoring. Not too shabby. Much of the credit was due d.c. Orlondo Steinauer, brought down from the CFL by Tedford (who knew him well from his own recent work with the B.C. Lions). Steinhauer has returned to the CFL and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats this season but successor Bert Watts, promoted from LB coach, is well-versed in the Steinauer schemes (featuring multiple fronts and disguised coverages) for the Bulldog 4-3. Watts will be rebuilding along the line where only DT Kevin Atkins returns with starting experience, but the entire back 7 returns in tact, and a vet secondary, led by jr. safeties Juju Hughes and Mike Bell, might be the MW’s best.

The Fresno schedule is tough, as usual, but it is a little more reasonable this season, swapping out road trips to Washington and Alabama for more palatable treks to Minnesota and UCLA. A trip to Boise on Nov. 10 might preview a rematch (for the second straight year) in the MW title game if the Bulldogs can get past San Diego State, which visits the Central Valley the following week in a likely West showdown.

Spread-wise, Tedford, who also worked great magic vs. the number in his early years at Cal, was up to his old tricks a year ago, forging a splendid 10-2-2 mark vs. the line. The ‘Dawgs were also unbeaten in eight tries (6-0-2) away from home vs. the points in 2017.

There’s some stuff going on at San Diego State (2017 SU 10-3; ATS 8-5; O/U 5-7-1) beyond the Aztecs’ eight straight bowl visits, the last seven of those since HC Rocky Long took charge in 2011.More specifically, where does SDSU play its home games after this season? Since the move of the NFL Chargers, the days of SDCCU (nee Qualcomm/Jack Murphy) Stadium are numbered, though it will take a ballot issue in the fall to decide what will actually become of the valuable property in Mission Valley. Among the various possibilities are an expanded campus for SDSU and an eventual new stadium, but about the only certainty is that the current SDCCU/Qualcomm is in its last days. Though the Aztecs might not have to find another venue until 2020 (when, temporarily, the Padres’ Petco Park is likely to be their home), they’re not sure of anything on Montezuma Mesa beyond this season. Stay tuned for further developments.

While that background noise might seem distracting, we can’t imagine it much bothering Long, who seems immune to such intrusions after propping up SDSU to the sort of sustained success it hasn’t experienced since the long-ago Don Coryell era. At 32-9 over the past three seasons, the Aztecs can make a claim as the boss of the Mountain West, though they relinquished the Western half of the conference to resurgent Fresno State a year ago.

Another Long special likely awaits this fall, with the same defense-first recipe that has wreaked havoc in the conference in recent years. Long’s pet 3-3-5 returns seven starters from a platoon that ranked an impressive 11th nationally in total defense. As usual, impact performers populate all levels, with soph S Tariq Thompson looking like the next star of the “D” after five picks in his debut season earned him numerous Frosh A-A accolades. Led by Thompson and upperclassmen CB Ron Smith, rover Parker Baldwin (effectively playing the same role Brian Urlacher once did for Long at New Mexico), sr. LB Rodney Lakalaka (off of shoulder surgery) and sr. NT Noble Hall, playmakers abound. Though d.c. Danny Gonzales left for Herm Edwards’ new staff at Arizona State, promoted former LB coach Zach Arnett knows the ropes. And, besides, this is Long’s defense, so not much figures to change.

The question for the Rocky Aztecs has always revolved around the offense, which bears no resemblance to the Coryell years as it has recently preferred the overland route. After Donnel Pumphrey finished his career as the NCAA’s all-time rushing leader, and Rashaad Penny led the nation with 2248 YR in 2017, the baton passes to jr. Juwan Washington (at 5'7 more physically reminiscent of Pumphrey), who gained nearly 800 YR and 6 ypc while spelling Penny a year ago. Another big OL (average weight 310) should make the power-run game work and take some pressure off of sr. QB Christian Chapman, who has been efficient (35 TDP and just 11 picks) if not explosive in his career as a starter, passing for fewer than 2000 yards each of the last two seasons.

Like last year, Pac-12 Stanford and Arizona State are featured in the non-MW portion of the schedule; the Aztecs beat them both a year ago, and a repeat sets up a chance at another big season. The West half of the loop is likely decided by a visit to Fresno on November 17 before a ninth straight bowl visit.

Spread-wise, SDSU is 24-13 the past three seasons, including 20-8 vs. MW foes. Where the Aztecs have underachieved is in non-league play, covering just 4 of their last 14 in reg-season non-MW action, even including the Stanford and ASU wins last September.

Now that Nevada (2017 SU 3-9; ATS 6-6; O/U 5-7) is back to being a basketball school again, one might think there is a bit less pressure on football coach Jay Norvell. Hardly, as the shadow of Chris Ault still looms large in Reno, and AD Doug Knuth pulled the plug not long ago on Norvell predecessor Brian Polian despite two bowl trips in his last three seasons. Norvell looked on his way to a short tenure last fall, too, with five straight losses out of the chute that included a home setback to 34 ½-point dog Idaho State. There was a break in the cloud layer late in 2017, however, as the Pack began to play better and ended up winning 2 of its last 3, including a satisfying 23-16 Fremont Cannon success vs. blood rival UNLV in the season-ender that kept the Rebs from bowl eligibility.

Along the way, Norvell made some curious moves, with an early hook straight from the Sparky Anderson book of managing, pulling jr. QB Ty Gangi, who had emerged late in 2016 and fared decently in the opener at Northwestern, for mysterious reasons in favor of true frosh Kaymen Cureton, at the helm for the Idaho State loss. Within a few games, however, Norvell had come to his senses and re-inserted Gangi, who by the end of the season would throw 25 TDP. Not coincidentally, the “O” began to pick up steam at midseason and topped 40 points on three occasions from mid-October, dropping a 59-point bomb on San Jose State in the process.

On attack, seven starters are back; beyond now-sr. Gangi, soph WR McLane Mannix (57 catches LY and making onto some Frosh A-A teams) and blasting 220-lb. RB Kelton Moore (855 YR) return. There are still elements of the old Ault Pistol, though now mixed with more spread concepts of o.c. Matt Mumme, whose dad Hal was one of the pioneers of air-raid football. Still, the infantry, always a key to the best of the old Nevada offenses, could prove key to any upgrade with Moore joined by touted frosh Toa Tuaua, a four-star recruit.

Defense, however, has been bad for the Wolf Pack seemingly since Jack Johnson fought Jim Jeffries for the heavywieght title within Reno city limits back in 1910, and last year ranked in triple digits almost across the board in all relevant stats. As was the case with the offense, however, there was improvement on the stop end down the stretch a year ago for d.c. Jeff Casteel, who has added some bigger juco bodies up front in hopes of bolstering his 3-3-5 “stack” alignments. Those newcomers have allowed Casteel to move two-time All-MW DE Malik Reed to an OLB spot. There is experience in the secondary with sr. safeties Dameon Baber and Asauni Rufus, but depth could be an issue, especially with only four CBs on the roster in spring.

To get back to a bowl, Norvell will have to deal with a schedule that at least features most of the expected heavyweight opposition from the Mountain West (Fresno State, Boise State, San Diego State, and Colorado State) all visiting Mackay Stadium, but Nevada is probably going to have to win at least one of a potentially-tricky three-game non-league stretch in September (at Vanderbilt, home vs. Oregon State, at Toledo) to bring some momentum into league play. The Pack has not missed bowls in three straight years since early in its transition from the old PCAA to the old WAC (2002-04).

Spread-wise, things improved down the stretch last season, too, covering 5 of the last 7. Norvell also rediscovered the Pack’s former spread prowess in Reno, as Nevada covered its last four at Mackay Stadium after mostly losing its home edge in the Polian years.

Well, we can’t say there’s no progress being made at UNLV (2017 SU 5-7; ATS 7-5; O/U 7-5) under HC Tony Sanchez. It might be incremental, but the Rebs have indeed increased their win total each of the first three seasons on Sanchez’s watch. Now, it’s only been one win per year, and at this rate we might have to wait until into the next decade before UNLV finishes a season above .500. But at Sam Boyd Stadium, where they’ve lost more often than slot players at the MGM Grand, who’s counting?

The risk Sanchez runs, however, with this sort of tedious progress is that one year of regression can un-do whatever momentum, even incremental, has been generated. It’s also not lost on Sanchez that he now works for an AD (Desiree Reed-Francois) who did not hire him, and there is a faction of Rebel backers (yes, there are some) who have always been skeptical about the jump Sanchez made from local prep power Bishop Gorman High straight to the college ranks. (Some prominent boosters reportedly remain behind Sanchez, but those sorts can be fickle; look what happened to Reb hoops coach Dave Rice a couple of years ago.) Expectations are also being raised with a move into the Raiders’ new stadium in 2020. No time, then, for UNLV to slip back to a 4-8 or 3-9 record this fall. What the Rebels, and Sanchez, really need is a bowl bid, one that was within their grasp before a bitter season-ending loss at rival Nevada in the finale last November.

Whether they get there will likely rely upon promising RS soph QB Armani Rogers taking the next step. Rogers, who at 6'5 physically reminds of the last QB who took UNLV to a bowl win (in 2000), Jason Thomas, flashed considerable upside a year ago as a long-striding dual-threat who also gained 78 ypg rushing, though he must improve upon his modest 52.4% completions and the paltry 6 TDP he tossed last fall. It might also be a good idea to curb, at least a bit, his reckless running style that resulted in a late-season injury; Rogers is the key element to any Rebel bowl hopes. There was a chop-busting element to the offense that ranked 18th nationally in rushing at better than 240 ypg, and welcomes back big-play RB Lexington Thomas (1336 YR in 2017), plus three starters return up front. But keeping Rogers healthy and developing more consistency in the passing game will be key to any breakthrough.

Unfortunately for Sanchez, the “D” has remained as bad as it has been since early in the long-ago John Robinson regime, ranking in triple digits in several key categories (including a woeful 114th in total defense last year). After veteran d.c. Kent Baer could not break the code, Tim Skipper arrives from Florida as the next to try and solve a decade-plus defensive riddle off of Boulder Highway. Seven starters do return, and Skipper spent spring implementing more blitzes and exotic looks that will hopefully translate into improved numbers in the fall. But all sorts of schematic tricks have failed to produce results for a succession of UNLV stop units the past 15 or so years.

There appear to be some opportunities for wins on the schedule; then again, this is the same UNLV that lost as a 44 ½ -point favorite (an ignominious record) in its opener vs. FCS Howard last year. The Mountain West, however, is not the SEC, and the Rebs have a chance at a fast start with UTEP and Prairie View appearing winnable non-conference games at Sam Boyd in September.

Spread-wise, while the Rebs have embarrassed themselves at times under Sanchez, they have managed spread covers in each of their “payday” road games (at Michigan, UCLA, and Ohio State) the past three seasons, something to think about for the opener at USC. UNLV has also covered 6 of its last 7 on the road.

They’ve been chasing the June Jones era for more than a decade at Hawaii (2017 SU 3-9; ATS 2-9-1; O/U 5-7), spanning three coaches and a conference move from the WAC to the Mountain West. Indeed, it’s been mostly downhill for the Rainbow Warriors since that magical undefeated regular season, 2007 campaign that finished up in the Sugar Bowl before Jones left the islands for SMU.

It’s crunch time now, however, for Hawaii to ever recapture the magic of those years. Third-year HC Nick Rolovich was hired as a link to the “Red Gun” era, having served as a QB for Jones, and after two years of gently reintroducing the spread offense he once piloted in Honolulu, has fully committed to resurrecting the old attack whose roots trace to Mouse Davis and Jones from their coach/player days at Portland State in the ‘70s. There is also no more time to waste for Rolovich, whose honeymoon with the nasty fishbowl of a fan base on the islands pretty much ended a year ago when the Rainbows lost 9 of their last 10 after a win in the hometown Hawaii Bowl in his debut season. But Hawaii still hasn’t finished above .500 since 2010, and hired to rekindle the Jones era, Rolovich can wait no longer to retrofit the offense in the old Red Gun image. The volcano eruptions on the big island have calmed and the locals can now get back to their favorite pastime of over-scrutinizing Hawaii football.

So the old Jones offense it will be this fall, with none other than Rolovich taking over the play-calling duties himself. Unfortunately, QB Dru Brown, who had started 22 consecutive games, transferred to Oklahoma State. Soph Cole McDonald emerged in spring as the likely starter, but enters the fall having thrown all of 9 passes in his college career. Frosh Chevan Cordeiro, who ran a version of the run-and-shoot at local Saint Louis High (where his predecessors included Marcus Mariota and Bama’s Tua Tagovailoa), could be another option. The receiving corps is also mostly new, with John Ursua (47 catches LY) the lone returning starter after Dylan Collie’s transfer to BYU. And while the offensive emphasis has changed for the 'Bows, Rolovich still might miss pinball RB Diocemy Saint Juste, who set a school rush record (1510 yards) a year ago. A near-complete rebuild of the OL is also part of the 2018 equation, and more production from the kicking game is essential after notching just four field goals a year ago.

It might not matter how much the offense improves if the “D” doesn’t begin to carry a bit more weight after ranking in triple digits nationally in almost all relevant stat categories last year. Hawaii, which notoriously has problems keeping assistant coaches in the fold (partly because of the uncommonly high cost of living in Honolulu), introduces its 8th different d.c. since 2011 this fall in Corey Batoon, mostly recently at FAU, with three new assistants alongside. On the field, only four starters return, and juco imports are going to be counted upon to provide upgrades along the line. Batoon will be looking for ways to unleash sr. Jahlani Tavai, listed as an ILB but also adept as an edge rusher, a stand-up nose in wide splits, and a pass defender a year ago when recording better than 11 tackles pg.

Working in Rolovich’s favor might be a schedule that for the first time in memory is void of any Power 5 foes, though a trip to West Point in mid-September looms ominous. At least the Warrior “D” will have had a look at the option when facing Navy in Honolulu two weeks earlier.

Spread-wise, Hawaii slumped badly a year ago, covering in only its first two games. No edge lately at once-intimidating Aloha Stadium, either, where the Rainbows are just 4-15-1 vs. the line dating to the last year of the aborted Norm Chow regime in 2015.What must iconic, retired play-by-play man Jim Leahey be thinking these days?

At some locales, a 2-11 record might prompt boosters to send moving vans to the home of a head coach. At San Jose State (2017 SU 2-11; ATS 5-7-1; O/U 6-7), however, few seem to notice, partly because the Spartans function in near-anonymity at the bottom of the Bay Area sports pyramid, often pushed off of the pages of local Mercury-News entirely. Those paying attention, however, were not much impressed last fall in the debut season of Brent Brennan, a first-time HC whose main qualification appeared to be that he had previously served on SJSU staffs, and, supposedly, knew of the considerable pitfalls associated with Spartan football. Apparently he learned little of overcoming those obstacles; after predecessor Ron Caragher fell short of a higher bar established by Mike MacIntyre (who wisely escaped to Pac-12 Colorado at the first opportunity in 2013), Brennan undershot expectations like a third-world economy, causing those few who care down the peninsula to wonder if the Spartans badly missed the mark on yet another gridiron hire.

Brennan will have to go a ways to prove that he’s not the second coming of Caragher or Dr. Fitz Hill, predecessors whose shortcomings had at times caused the school to wonder if it should even continue the football program. Evidence from 2017 suggests that disbanding might prove less painful; after ranking a hideous 126th in scoring (15.8 ppg) and 127th in scoring defense (41.7 ppg), at least there’s nowhere to go but up. The offense can hardly be worse, though we’re not sure what Brennan can do if QB returnee Montel Aaron, who tossed no TDP and 7 picks in the four games after regaining the starting job last November, remains in the pilot's chair. The return of the top six receivers from LY might help, and soph RB Tyler Nevens (670 YR) ran with a bit of flair a year ago. Spring work featured plenty of long balls from Aaron and jr. Josh Love, who split time at QB a year ago. But playing from behind on the scoreboard and in back of a suspect OL remains a recipe for more disaster if things don’t change this fall. At least sr. PK Bryce Crawford (30 of 35 FGs the past two seasons) has been able to salvage points from the many stalled drives.

Help from the defense would seem wishful thinking, too, though d.c. Derrick Odum dealt with an uncommon spate of injuries a year ago, and much of the platoon sat out spring ball in recuperation mode. Still, even at full strength, this is hardly Alabama; among many horrifying numbers a year ago, the Spartans also ranked next-to-last nationally against the run (285 ypg...whew!), and conceded 50+ points on five different occasions. Thus, the return of most of the front 7 can hardly be considered good news, though it is hoped an infusion of jucos can at least plug some of the many leaks in the secondary.

Schedule-wise, it would help to add more than one FCS opponent (this season, it’s UC Davis), but that’s not the case, with a couple of Pac-12 road dates at Washington State and Oregon, and an awkward home date vs. Army (which could get very ugly for the Spartans) in addition to the Mountain West slate. Which, though modest, doesn’t seem to feature one game the Spartans ought to win.

Spread-wise, SJSU wasn’t quite as bad a year ago (5-7-1), but considering the considerable cushions the oddsmakers continued to provide (Brennan’s teams was a double-digit dog in 11 of 13 games), even that mark vs. the number appeared to undershoot.

Tokens
Handicapping Maryland (4.5)
July 30, 2018

The Maryland Terrapins could be improved this season, as they have a new offensive coordinator in Matt Canada and they finally have healthy quarterbacks. The Terrapins went 4-8 last season but both Kasim Hill and Tyrrell Pigrome got hurt.

There is no question that Maryland should be improved on offense, but how well they do this season will probably come down to how much better the defense is. The Terrapins gave up 37.1 points per game last season. Let’s look at the win total for the Terrapins in 2018 and consider their schedule to see if they will go over or under that number.

2018 Maryland Terrapins Season Win Total
Over 4.5 (-115)
Under 4.5 (-115)

2018 Maryland Terrapins Schedule Analysis

The Terrapins started the season 3-1 a year ago but then lost seven of their last eight games. The good news for the Terps is that both Pigrome and Hill are back and healthy. The Terps also have all five starters on the offensive line returning and they have a good running attack with Lorenzo Harrison and Ty Johnson. Hill is projected as the starter and he will have a new offensive scheme with Matt Canada as offensive coordinator.

The defense for Maryland can’t be any worse than it was a year ago. They should be improved with some transfers coming in and pass rusher Jesse Aniebonam returns from injury. The return of Aniebonam is huge, as he had nine sacks and 14 tackles for loss two years ago. He broke his foot in the opener last year and Maryland’s defense missed his presence. The Terps will have to replace All-Big Ten linebacker Jermaine Carter Jr., but they did bring in Illinois grad transfer Tre Watson.

Sept. 1 Texas (Landover)

The season opener looks like a loss, as Texas is expected to be improved this season, playing with revenge from last season’s 51-41 loss, and Maryland may need a few games to get accustomed to Canada’s new offensive system.

Sept. 8 at Bowling Green

The Terps simply have to win this game on the road if they are to have any chance to finish with six wins. Bowling Green is nothing special, but this is still a road game and the Terps have been road kill in recent seasons.

Sept. 15 Temple

This is another game that the Terps have to win, as Temple is not a good team and Maryland is at home.

Sept. 22 Minnesota

If you want to circle one game this season that will define the Terps it could be this one. This is their Big Ten opener and it comes against a Minnesota team that Maryland can beat.

Oct. 6 at Michigan

The Terps will just want to come out of his one in one piece, as they are not going into Michigan and winning.

Oct. 13 Rutgers

The Scarlet Knights are improved, but Maryland is at home and they should find a way to get the home win.

Oct. 20 at Iowa

The Hawkeyes are getting a lot of attention from pundits heading into the 2018 season and it is hard to see Maryland going into Iowa City and coming out with a win.

Oct. 27 Illinois

This is yet another game that Maryland can win, as it comes at home against an Illinois team that is one of the weaker in the Big Ten.

Nov. 3 Michigan State

The Spartans will be road favorites in this contest, but Maryland is capable of hanging with Michigan State, as they lost by just 10 points at MSU last season.

Nov. 10 at Indiana

This could be a difficult road test for the Terps, as they will be coming off a huge game against MSU and they travel to Ohio State next week.

Nov. 17 Ohio State

The Terps have no real chance to win this game against the Buckeyes, as they simply don’t have enough talent on either side of the ball.

Nov. 24 at Penn State

The finale for the Terps looks like another loss, as Penn State is considered a Big Ten title contender.

2018 Maryland Terrapins Regular Season Win Total Prediction

There is a lot to like about the direction of Maryland, as they have an enthusiastic head coach in DJ Durkin, a new offensive coordinator in Canada, a new practice facility, and a second straight top 30 recruiting class. Oddsmakers could be underestimating the Terps and the schedule for Maryland is favorable. Going over the total of 4.5 is the way to go with Maryland in 2018.

Tokens
2018 Independents Preview
July 30, 2018

2018 INDEPENDENTS PREVIEW

Declaration Of Independence

During its first six years of being an independent team BYU won 52 games, with never fewer than 8 victories in any one season. Last year, however, the Cougars’ fortune suffered a major plummet, winning just 4 games behind an offense that ranked that ranked No. 118 in the nation – worse than Kansas, Rice and Ball State. It was BYU’s first losing season since 2004, making them a true “mission team” - in more ways than one - this campaign.

If QB Tanner Magnum is good enough to fend off true freshman Zach Wilson the Cougars could find themselves bowling by season’s end. If not head coach Kalani Sitake could be issued a declaration of departure. Stay tuned.

Ups And Downs

The ranks of football independents have increased and decreased with each passing season since 2011, when BYU left the Mountain West Conference.

It increased by two teams in 2013 when the Western Athletic Conference dropped football, paving the way for the inclusion of New Mexico and Idaho. Then is 2014 it lost two teams when Idaho and New Mexico State became football only members of the Sun Belt Conference. In 2015 Navy bolted for the American Athletic Conference as a football-only entrant. 2016 saw the addition of UMass, with New Mexico State returning in 2017. The new kids on the block, Liberty, join the Independents in 2018 as the revolving door continues to swing like a turnstile.

Note: The numbers following each team name represents the amount of returning starters on offense and defense, along with the number of returning linemen, with an asterisk (*) designating a returning quarterback.

ARMY (Offense – 6/2, Defense – 8/1, 47 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME:
MARCHING TO A DIFFERENT DRUM

Thanks to a 10-win effort last year, just the second of all-time, Army celebrated consecutive winning seasons for the first time since 1990. Yet they managed it despite going backwards on both sides of the ball. The formula was simple: The Black Knights were the No. 1 team in the nation in Rushing Offense, as well as the No. 3 team in Red Zone Defense. This season they will put a new quarterback behind a rebuilding offensive front line. And while the defense returns a good portion of last year’s starters, it loses its two best playmakers in DE John Voit and LB Alex Aukerman. Having to tackle only 3 bowlers this season is a good thing. Facing only one losing foe away from home is not.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Last year was only the second time that Army defeated Navy and won a bowl game in the same year.

PASS

BYU (Offense – *7/1, Defense – 7/3, 62 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME:
MISSION TEAM

A combination of youth and inexperience, with 25 members of the two-deep missing time with injuries, contributed to a rare losing season for the Cougars last year. It marked their first losing campaign since 2004, making them a true “mission team” in every sense of the word this season. And it could well be lights-out for head coach Kalani Sitake should BYU continue to regress on both sides of the ball for a third-straight year under his watch. Worse, only four foes on last year’s itinerary owned winning seasons the previous year. More concerning is that in two seasons under Sitake, the Cougars have forgotten how to pass the football. Fortunately, senior QB Tanner Magnum returns after a ruptured Achilles tendon curtailed his season last year.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: QB Magnum passed for 3,377 yards in 2015 – Bronco Mendenhall’s final season as BYU head coach.

PLAY ON: vs. Utah State (10/5) - *KEY

LIBERTY (Offense – *9/3, Defense – 7/2, 44 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME:
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK

Liberty makes its FBS debut in 2018 and if the name sounds familiar, it should. The Flames torched Baylor, 48-45, as 34-point dogs in Waco in their season opener last year. The good news is head coach Turner Gill, the former Nebraska star QB, has had a winning record each of the six years he’s been in Lynchburg. The bad news is he was 25-49 at two other FBS schools (Buffalo and Kansas) before becoming the lead Flame. Gill did mange to win the MAC title in 2008. He also beat Coastal Carolina when the Chanticleers were No. 1 in the FCS at the time. And for what it’s worth, LU returns 81% of its overall production from last season, seventh in the FBS. Bon voyage.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Conference USA and the Sun Belt turned down Liberty, the nations’ largest private university, for admission.

PASS

NEW MEXICO STATE (Offense – 6/3, Defense – 9/4, 49 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME:
WE CAN DO THIS

Doug Martin was another head coach on the hot seat last season, sporting a 10-38 record in four seasons with NMSU. Last year’s surprising 7-win bowl effort staved off the inevitable, though. It was the first bowl season in 57 years for the Aggies – the longest drought of all FBS teams – and it was capped off with a win over Utah State in the Arizona Bowl. With that, Martin will finally have a chance to rely on a defense that improved over 100 YPG last season as just about everyone’s back for DC Frank Spaziani. So dramatic was the improvement that the Aggies yielded 500 yards in only two games last campaign – after coughing up a nickel or more 26 times in five previous seasons under Martin’s direction. Best of all the Aggies will go up against easiest schedule of all FBS schools in 2018 with foes going 54-91 (.372) last season.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Recently graduated four-year starting RB Larry Rose III rushed for 4,558 yards and 37 TDs in his career at NMSU.

PLAY ON: vs. Georgia Southern (10/20)

NOTRE DAME (Offense – *6/3, Defense – 9/3, 46 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME:
NOTRE LAME

As expected, the Irish bounced back from a disastrous 4-win effort in 2016 to a 10-win campaign last season. That cleansed a sour taste left from an underachieving November – a pattern that head coach Brian Kelly has recently developed (see Stat You Will Like below). Meanwhile, the Dame was hit extra hard by offseason losses with 3 NFL defections (among 4 players selected in the draft, including two All-American 1st-rounders from the left side of the offensive line), 12 returning starters and 14 players from the 2-deep now gone. In addition, five senior starters from the defense also graduated. Kelly will turn back to QB Brandon Wimbush, who will need to find receivers from a depleted unit. Despite Kelly’s insistence that this could be one of his best squads at Notre Dame, we three Hail Mary’s are in order.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Since 2011, Kelly has won only 10 of 24 games played from Halloween on out.

PLAY ON: vs. Stanford (9/29)

UMASS (Offense – *10/4, Defense – 6/1, 47 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME:
SOUND THE CHARGES

Last year’s 0-6 start lowered the Minutemen’s mark to 2-22 SU in the first six games of the season under HC Mark Whipple. The good news, though, is UMass rallied to close 4-2, lending promise to the 2018 season ahead. However, they’ll need to overcome a death-knell-like 3-14 record in one-possession games under Whipple in order to turn the corner. Behind a loaded offense that returns QB Andrew Ford (22 TDs and 4 INTs last season) and nearly his entire front wall, the turn signal has been activated. As our ‘Stat You Will Like’ below indicates, last year’s unit left a mark in school history behind a bevy of youngsters that witnessed 33% of all starts by underclassmen. Sound the alert... here come the Minutemen.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: The Minutemen gained more yards than they allowed last year for the first time since becoming an FBS team in 2012.

Tokens
Stanford Breakdown
July 30, 2018

Stanford looks poised for an elite season in 2018. David Shaw’s team went 9-5 straight up and 7-7 against the spread last year, but it lost four of its five games by 11 combined points. Furthermore, first-team All-American running back Bryce Love was injured and missed key portions of three-point losses at Washington State and vs. USC in the Pac-12 Championship Game.

Stanford returns nine starters on offense and six on defense. The offense averaged 32.4 points per game in 2017, and this unit is absolutely stacked with talent and will be one of the nation’s best this year.

For starters, Love is the country’s premier RB. Despite missing a comeback win at Oregon St. and playing on a sprained ankle in his team’s last six games, he still rushed for 2,118 yards and 19 touchdowns while averaging an eye-popping 8.1 yards per carry. Junior Cameron Scarlett is a solid back-up who ran for 389 yards and eight TDs with a 4.3 YPC average in 2017.

Phil Steele’s preseason magazine ranks Stanford’s offensive line No. 1 in the Pac-12 and the fourth-best in the nation. The Cardinal has five offensive players who are All-Americans in Steele’s mag. Love and junior offensive guard Nate Herbig are first-teamers, while redshirt sophomore tight end Kaden Smith is a second-team selection. Also, OT Walker Little is a third-team AA and WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside is a fourth-teamer.

Smith tore his ACL late in his senior year of high school and had to redshirt as a true freshman. The Marcus High School (Flower Mound, TX., in the Dallas area) product was a four-star signee who chose Stanford over Alabama. For whatever reasons, certainly ones that appeared moronic once the calendar got deep into November, Smith wasn’t getting many snaps for most of September and October.

Nevertheless, after making 10 receptions for 188 yards and four TDs in the last two regular-season contests and the Pac-12 Championship Game, Smith garnered first-team All-Pac-12 honors. He single-handedly kept the Cardinal in the game against USC in Santa Cruz, making a pair of spectacular TD grabs on third-and-long plays in the second half. (see highlights below in embedded tweets)

Shaw called Smith “the next Zach Ertz” at Pac-12 Media Days last week. Ertz, the Stanford alum, won a Super Bowl with the Philadelphia Eagles last year and earned a trip to the Pro-Bowl thanks to 74 catches for 824 yards and eight TDs.

QB Keller Chryst took over as Stanford’s starting QB midway through the 2016 campaign and helped his team to six wins in a row after a 4-3 start with Ryan Burns under center. However, Chryst tore his ACL in a 25-23 win over North Carolina at the 2016 Sun Bowl.

Chryst started seven of the first eight games for the Cardinal last season, but redshirt sophomore QB K.J. Costello was given the starting nod in the last six outings. Costello completed 58.8 percent of his passes for 1,573 yards with a 14/4 touchdown-to-interception ratio. With Costello solidifying his spot as the starter moving forward, Chryst elected to go to Tennessee as a grad transfer this year.

This makes Costello’s health a top priority for Shaw with no experienced depth behind him. Junior QB Jack Richardson has only appeared briefly in two career games. Stanford did sign a pair of highly-touted QBs in the 2018 class, including Tanner McKee and Jack West, but neither player left high school early to participate in spring practice.

Arcega-Whiteside, a junior, has 14 TD catches in his first two collegiate seasons. He hauled in 48 receptions for 781 yards and nine TDs last year. Senior WR Trenton Irwin has 28 career starts to his credit. The former four-star signee had 43 catches for 461 yards and two TDs as a junior in ’17.

Stanford’s defense allowed only 22.7 PPG last season. In what speaks to how outstanding the stop units have been for Shaw in his seven years as HC since replacing Jim Harbaugh, that was the most points a defense of his had ever given up.

Stanford loses its top two tacklers and four of its top six. In his Pac-12 Unit Rankings, Steele has the Cardinal’s defensive line ranked fifth. The linebackers are tabbed as the conference’s second-best and the secondary is ranked fifth.

Senior LB Bobby Okereke has started 27 consecutive games and is a first-team All-Pac-12 pick in all preseason publications. He recorded 94 tackles, four sacks, 3.5 tackles for loss, four QB hurries, one pass broken up, one interception for a 52-yard pick-six and one forced fumble in ’17.

Junior LB Sean Barton had 14 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble before going down with a season-ending injury in Week 3 last year. As a freshman in ’16, he produced 35 tackles, 3.5 TFL’s, two sacks and one forced fumble. Barton is poised for a bounce-back year, as is senior LB Joey Alfieri, who had a career-low 37 tackles last season.

Alfieri had two sacks, two TFL’s and a pair of QB hurries in ’17. As a junior in ’16, he had 51 tackles, two interceptions, 5.5 TFL’s, five sacks, one forced fumble and one QB hurry. Alfieri had 40 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 3.5 TFL’s and five QB hurries as a freshman in ’15.

Senior CB Alijah Holder anchors the secondary and is a first-team All-Pac-12 selection in Steele’s preseason mag. In his first three seasons, Holder has recorded 73 tackles, 16 PBU, four forced fumbles, four TFL’s, two interceptions and one pick-six in 21 career starts.

Special teams are going to be a strength. Steele has punter Jake Bailey ranked No. 1 in the nation in his projections for players who are eligible for the upcoming NFL Draft. Kicker Jet Toner is ranked as the country’s 19th-best. Steele’s National Unit Rankings have Stanford at No. 2 behind only Utah.

Stanford’s season win total is 8.5 at all betting shops. The Westgate has the ‘under’ at a -130 price, while the South Point Hotel has the ‘under’ at -125.

Sportsbook.ag has Shaw’s squad listed with 10/1 odds to make the College Football Playoff. The offshore website has Stanford with 5/1 odds to win the Pac-12 Championship Game and at 55/1 to win the CFP.

Sportsbook has Stanford as a four-point home favorite vs. USC for this Week 2 showdown in its Games of the Year section. Also, the Cardinal is pick ‘em at Oregon, a three-point underdog at Notre Dame, an 11-point road ‘chalk’ at Arizona State, a 9.5-point underdog at Washington and a 10-point favorite at California.

After losing a 20-17 decision at San Diego State last year, Stanford will be in revenge mode for its season opener against the Aztecs. Most books have the Cardinal listed as a 14.5-point home favorite for this Friday night battle at 9:00 p.m. Eastern on Fox Sports 1. The “Friday Night Lights” spot will give Shaw’s team an extra day of rest and preparation for the Trojans, who lost by a 27-10 count in their last trip to Stanford Stadium in ’16.

Stanford is probably going to be a double-digit favorite in seven of its 12 games. USC and Utah won’t be easy home wins by any means, but I’m confident the Cardinal will prevail in both contests. With that in mind, I see a minimum of nine wins if its most valuable pieces (particularly Love and Costello) can stay healthy.

The two swing games are back-to-back road trips at Oregon and at Notre Dame on Sept. 22 and Sept. 29, respectively. I think Stanford earns at least a split in this two-week stretch, which would make for high stakes when it goes to Washington on Nov. 3.

If Stanford is 7-1 when it faces the Huskies, it will be in the driver’s seat to win the Pac-12 North with a victory at UW. Assuming the winner has one loss or fewer at the time, it will also be right in the mix to earn a CFP berth.

Prediction: I like Stanford to go ‘over’ 8.5 wins for three units. I’ll also recommend a one-half unit wager on the Cardinal to win the Pac-12. The best price I’ve seen is +660 at 5Dimes (paid $660 on $100 bets).

**B.E.’s Bonus Nuggets**

-- Love is the 6/1 favorite to win the Heisman Trophy at Sportsbook.ag.

-- Steele’s National Unit Rankings have Stanford at No. 1 at the RB position, No. 33 at QB, No. 13 at WR, No. 49 on the defensive line, No. 4 at LB and No. 28 in the secondary.

-- Stanford has won outright in nine of its past 14 games against ranked opponents.

-- Stanford has been an underdog of 9.5 points or more just three times on Shaw’s watch. The Cardinal has won outright in all three of those instances.

-- Shaw owns a 13-4 spread record in 17 games as an underdog during his tenure in Palo Alto.

-- Barring a rash of injuries in August or in the opener against Rocky Long’s team, Stanford isn’t going to be a home underdog this year. We’ll nonetheless note that Shaw has won outright in all four games of his tenure as a home ‘dog, including a 30-22 win over Washington last year and a 38-20 triumph vs. Notre Dame.

-- Steele ranks Stanford’s schedule as the Pac-12’s fifth-toughest and the nation’s 29th-toughest.

-- According to Pro Football Focus College, Smith's 2.65 yards per route run in '17 ranked third-highest among returning FBS tight ends.

Tokens
Fresno State Breakdown
July 31, 2018

Jeff Tedford finished ninth in last season’s voting for National Coach of the Year by the Associated Press. Truth be told, the job he did at Fresno State was as good any other work done at any school in the country.

Tedford transferred from Cerritos College to Fresno State as a player in 1981. After a pair of seasons as the starting QB, he held the school’s record for career passing yards (4,872) and touchdown passes (35).

Tedford returned to his alma mater last year after the Bulldogs went 3-9 in 2015 and 1-11 in 2016. All the new head coach did was guide a nine-win turnaround when Fresno State went 10-4 straight up and cashed tickets at a lucrative 10-2-2 against-the-spread clip. Tedford’s team won the Mountain West Conference’s West Division by going 7-1 in league play.

Fresno State lost merely 14 lettermen and returns eight starters on offense and seven on defense. Let’s also remember that two of the Bulldogs’ four losses came in back-to-back games at top-ranked Alabama and at sixth-ranked Washington in Weeks 2 and 3. They covered the spread as huge underdogs in both instances.

After beating Boise State 28-17 as a seven-point home underdog in its regular-season finale, Fresno State had to travel to the smurf turf to face the Broncos again the next week in the MWC Championship Game. Tedford’s team dropped a 17-14 decision to BSU, but it took the cash as a nine-point road underdog.

Fresno State finished the year on the right note by capturing a 33-27 win over Houston as a two-point underdog at the Hawai’i Bowl. The Bulldogs went 6-0 ATS with three outright wins as ‘dogs last season.

Marcus McMaryion started seven games at quarterback for Gary Andersen at Oregon State during the 2015 and ’16 campaigns. When Andersen quit on the Beavers, McMaryion decided to transfer. He took over the starting job in Week 4 and never let go of it.

McMaryion went 9-2 in his 11 starts, throwing for 2,726 yards with a 14/5 touchdown-to-interception ratio. He completed 62.1 percent of his throws and had a QB Rating of 137.7. He also showed mobility by rushing for 302 yards and four TDs with a 5.3 yards-per-carry average.

McMaryion loses second-leading wide receiver Da’Mari Scott (57 catches for 566 yards and one TD), but eight players who had 11 receptions or more are back. Senior WR KeeSean Johnson was a first-team All-MWC selection last season when he hauled in 77 receptions for 1,013 yards and eight TDs. Phil Steele’s preseason magazine ranks Johnson No. 72 among the nation’s best WRs eligible for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Senior WR Jamire Jordan has 33 career starts to his credit. Steele has him as a preseason second-team All-MWC pick after making 27 catches for 562 yards and three TDs in ’17. Junior TE Jared Rice is also a preseason second-team All-MWC selection in Steele’s mag. Rice had 22 receptions for 388 yards and two TDs last year. The wideout group also adds WR Michiah Quick, a former four-star recruit for Oklahoma who started four games for the Sooners over three years before electing to leave as a grad transfer.

Fresno State brings back its top three RBs, including last season’s leading rusher. That would be sophomore Jordan Mims, who ran for 627 yards and six TDs with a 4.2 YPC average as a freshman. Junior Josh Hokit produced 583 rushing yards and seven TDs with a 4.6 YPC average, while sophomore Ronnie Rivers ran for 480 yards and five TDs with a 4.8 YPC average. This trio of RBs in joined by Romello Harris, a transfer from Washington St. who sat out last season.

Steele’s Unit Rankings for the MWC has the Bulldogs ranked No. 2 at the QB position, No. 6 at RB, No. 1 at WR and No. 6 on the offensive line. As for the defense, it’s ranked No. 8 on the defensive line, No. 2 at the LB position and No. 3 in the secondary. They’re tabbed eighth on special teams and fourth in team chemistry.

Tedford’s defensive coordinator from last year, Orlondo Steinauer, went back to coach in the CFL where he was prior to coming to Fresno. His replacement is Bert Watts, who was the LBs coach here in ’17 and was the DC at UC Davis from 2013-16 after serving as a Denver Broncos assistant in ’12.

Watts inherits a defense that returns its top seven tacklers from a unit that allowed only 17.9 points per game. Junior Jeffrey Allison garnered first-team All-MWC honors by recording 126 tackles, the third-most in the league. Allison also contributed 3.5 tackles for loss, three passes broken up, two sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

Five other Fresno State defensive players made Steele’s preseason All-MWC squads. LB George Helmuth and DB Jaron Bryant are second-team picks, DB Juju Hughes and Mike Bell are third-team selections and LB James Bailey is a fourth-teamer. Punter Blake Cusick is a fourth-team All-MWC selection as well.

Helmuth, a senior, had 89 tackles, four sacks, four TFL’s, five QB hurries, one PBU and one forced fumble last year. Bryant produced 67 tackles, seven PBU, four interceptions, two pick-sixes, 2.5 TFL’s and one forced fumble.

Fresno State’s season win total is eight flat (-110 either way) at both The Westgate SuperBook and the South Point Hotel in Las Vegas. 5Dimes.eu has Tedford’s bunch with the second-shortest odds (+595, risk $100 to win $595) to win the MWC Championship Game behind only Boise State, the -173 ‘chalk.’ The Bulldogs are 2,000/1 longshots to win the College Football Playoff at the offshore website.

5Dimes.eu has Fresno State listed as a 12.5-point road underdog in its Friday night trip to Bronco Stadium to face BSU on Nov. 9. Not only will the Bulldogs be playing on the road on a short week, they’ll also be in a back-to-back road spot and on the road for the third time in four weeks. 5Dimes.eu has Fresno State installed as a two-point home favorite vs. San Diego State on Nov. 17 in a game that’ll almost certainly decide the MWC’s West Division.

Fresno State will most likely be favored in nine of its 12 regular-season games. In addition to the road assignment in Boise, the Bulldogs will probably be underdogs in consecutive road tilts at Minnesota and at UCLA in Weeks 2 and 3. However, it won’t be a shocker if they win either of these contests. Both Power Five schools are off losing seasons and will be breaking in new starting QBs.

There’s another tough non-conference game on the slate at home vs. Toledo on Sept. 29. Fresno State will have the benefit of two weeks to prepare for the Rockets, who throttled the 1-11 Bulldogs by a 52-17 count at The Glass Bowl in 2016.

Toledo is one of the MAC’s top programs and has one of the country’s top group of WRs, but it must replace the school’s all-time leading passer in Logan Woodside (10,514 yards). The Rockets, who finished 11-3 last season, will have a new starting QB who will be making his first career road start at Fresno State.

There are three additional spots that could present danger for Tedford’s squad. Fresno State play at Nevada on Oct. 6 and hosts Wyoming on Oct. 13. The Bulldogs will be favored in both instances, but those aren’t layups. A Nov. 3 trip to Sam Boyd Stadium to play at UNLV is a vintage look-ahead situation, and Tony Sanchez will have his best team since getting hired by the Rebels. They have the league’s best RB in Lexington Thomas and one of the conference’s top signal callers in Armani Rogers.

Nevertheless, I think Fresno State will prevail against the Wolf Pack, Cowboys and Rebels. Again, the Bulldogs can certainly pull an upset out of their three toughest road games at Minnesota, at UCLA and at BSU, and I think they win their other nine games.

Prediction: I like to have a 1.5-game cushion between my prediction for a team and its season win total. I’m only calling for Fresno State to go 9-3, but I’ll still suggest a 1.5-unit play on the Bulldogs to go ‘over’ eight victories.

**B.E.’s Bonus Nuggets**

-- Steele has Fresno State at No. 24 in the nation in his Experience Rankings.

-- Steele has Fresno State at No. 57 in the country in his Preseason Power Rankings. He predicts the Bulldogs to finish the year at No. 41 in the nation. They’ll face Colorado in the Las Vegas Bowl at Sam Boyd Stadium, according to Steele’s Bowl Projections.

-- After limping to a 2-10 spread record as a road underdog in 2015 and ’16, Fresno State went 4-0 ATS as a road underdog last season.

-- Steele has the Bulldogs’ schedule ranked as the eighth-toughest among MWC teams and No. 98 out of 130 FBS schools.

-- In Steele’s National Unit Rankings, Fresno State is No. 55 at the QB position, No. 26 at WR, No. 32 at LB and No. 47 in the secondary.

-- Fresno State finished 2017 at +1,013 in total yards against its 14 opponents and was plus eight in turnover margin.

-- Fresno State had lost six straight bowl games before knocking off Houston in Honolulu last year. The Bulldogs hadn’t won a postseason game since defeating Ga. Tech at the 2007 Humanitarian Bowl on the smurf turf in Boise.

-- In 2019, Fresno State plays at USC and Minnesota comes to Bulldog Stadium. The Bulldogs play at Colorado and at Texas A&M in 2020 and then in ’21, they play at Oregon and at UCLA. They’re at USC again in ’22 and ’25 and get to host Oregon State in ’22 before travelling to Corvallis in ’24.

Tokens
Clemson controls ACC, are national elite
July 31, 2018

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) Dabo Swinney has built Clemson into an every-year power with regular College Football Playoff appearances and a recent national championship. None of that could've happened without first asserting unquestioned control of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The Tigers open practice this week as the overwhelming favorite to become the first team to win four straight ACC titles since Florida State's romp through the 1990s. They also could become only the second power-conference team to win four straight league championship games.

''I didn't sit back and say, `Well we're Clemson and we're going to go out there and everybody's going to try to catch us,''' Swinney said during the ACC Kickoff preseason media days. ''But I definitely envisioned Clemson being one of the best programs in the country, and I envisioned this league growing and becoming one of the most dominant leagues in the country.''

Indeed, the Tigers' rise helped the ACC climb onto level footing with its touted Southeastern Conference neighbor.

It wasn't long ago that Clemson was chasing Florida State in the ACC's power-heavy Atlantic Division . The Seminoles won three straight ACC titles from 2012-14 while going 26-1 against league teams - 3-0 against Clemson - and winning a national championship in the final BCS season of 2013. But the Tigers followed that with their own impressive run, giving the league a sustained stretch of top-flight success while putting the ACC alongside the SEC as the only leagues to reach all four playoffs.

Clemson is 25-2 against ACC teams in the past three seasons, with 18 wins by double-digit margins. The losses at home against Pittsburgh in 2016 and at Syracuse last year came by a combined four points. And last year's 38-3 rout of then-No. 7 Miami made Clemson only the fifth team to win at least three straight power-conference championship games since the SEC held the first in 1992, a group featuring FSU, Alabama in the SEC (2014-16) and Oklahoma in the Big 12 (2006-08).

Another December crown in Charlotte would allow Clemson to join Steve Spurrier's Florida teams in the SEC (1993-96) as the only power-conference schools to win four straight league title games.

''It all goes together: their budgets are elite, their facilities are elite and they're able to recruit and attract the elite players,'' said Boston College coach Steve Addazio, whose Eagles face the Tigers annually in the Atlantic. ''So they're a `Have' - that's the best way I can say it.''

Clemson is on the verge of the ACC's longest reign since Bobby Bowden's Seminoles arrived in 1992 and won at least a share of the title for nine straight seasons, going 70-2 in the nine-team league.

John Swofford got a close look at those Seminoles, first as a competitor as North Carolina's athletics director before becoming ACC commissioner in 1997. He told The Associated Press that Clemson's run ''does compare favorably'' because today's 14-team league ''is considerably better.''

''I don't think there's anything wrong with a league having a dominant team when that dominant team is without question a premier team nationally,'' Swofford said. ''And that's exactly what we have in Clemson.''

Yet offensive lineman Mitch Hyatt and defensive lineman Clelin Ferrell dismissed questions about a gap between Clemson and everyone else.

''I wouldn't say that,'' Ferrell said. ''You can talk about that as far as the past years, it might be a big gap. ... This 2018 team hasn't done anything. There's not really a gap as far as what we've done.''

Besides, Hyatt noted, there have been close calls. There was a hang-on-for-dear-life home win against Louisville and eventual Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson in 2016. There were one-possession margins in ACC title games against North Carolina in 2015 and Virginia Tech in 2016. And North Carolina State played Clemson within a touchdown the past two years, including a 2016 overtime road loss after missing a short winning field goal at regulation's end.

''It's just executing in the final 2 minutes of the game,'' Wolfpack coach Dave Doeren said. ''We missed a kick two years ago and had a couple of penalties (last year), and that's us, that's not them. So we've got to execute under pressure better - period.''

But Doeren's observation underlines another way the Tigers are equipped to fend off challengers. There's a big-game-tested core from playoff routs of Oklahoma and Ohio State along with unforgettable title-game thrillers against Alabama, with the Crimson Tide winning in 2015 and the Tigers claiming the rematch before Alabama won Round 3 in last year's semifinals.

Swinney isn't changing his ''you get what you earn'' approach, either, even as the Tigers keep bringing trophies home to Death Valley.

''A big thing is Coach Swinney told us not to beat ourselves,'' Hyatt said. ''We have the talent to win. We have the players, we have the coaches - we have everything we need to win.''

---

Tokens
Handicapping Rutgers (4)
August 1, 2018

The Rutgers Scarlet Knights have not won more than four games in a season since 2014, so it makes sense that oddsmakers have the win total for Rutgers for 2018 listed at four. The good news for Rutgers is that they have three winnable non-conference games. The bad news is that they may do well to win just one game in the Big Ten. Let’s look at the schedule for Rutgers for this season to see if they will go over or under their win total of four.

2018 Rutgers Scarlet Knights Season Win Total
Over 4 (-130)
Under 4 (+100)

2018 Rutgers Scarlet Knights Schedule Analysis

Sept. 1 Texas State

It doesn’t get any easier for Rutgers than the season opener. Texas State is ranked 127th out of 130 college teams in ESPN’s rankings. Texas State has not beaten a team from a Power 5 conference since becoming an FBS team, losing all seven games by an average score of 46-12.

Sept. 8 at Ohio State

Forget about Rutgers winning this game, as the Buckeyes have won all four previous meetings and Ohio State is considered a national title contender.

Sept. 15 at Kansas

This is a key game for Rutgers if they are to have a successful season. Rutgers won 27-14 at home in 2015, but Kansas is expected to be improved this season and the Jayhawks will believe they can win this one.

Sept. 22 Buffalo

The Scarlet Knights have won five of the six previous meetings. Buffalo is not a bad team, as they went 6-6 last season, but this is still a game that Rutgers should win at home.

Sept. 29 Indiana

The all-time series is tied 2-2. Indiana has a new starting quarterback this season in Brandon Dawkins and they are very capable of going into Rutgers and getting the win.

Oct. 6 Illinois

This is another series that is tied 2-2. The Scarlet Knights won 35-24 at Illinois last season. This is simply a must-win game for Rutgers at home. If the Scarlet Knights are to finish with at least four wins they need to already be at that number after this contest, because they may not win another game the rest of the season.

Oct. 13 at Maryland

This series is tied 4-4 and it was Rutgers winning 31-24 at home last season. Three of the four games against Maryland in Big Ten play have been decided by a TD or less.

Oct. 20 Northwestern

Rutgers has actually won all three previous meetings against Northwestern, but all of those wins were many years ago. This will be the first-ever meeting between the teams in Big Ten play.

Nov. 3 at Wisconsin

The Badgers are going to win this one at home, so it is just a matter of Rutgers getting out of this one without getting too beat up.

Nov. 10 Michigan

The Wolverines lead the all-time series 3-1. Michigan is considered a national title contender and they should have far too much for Rutgers in this one.

Nov. 17 Penn State

This is another likely loss for Rutgers. Penn State leads the all-time series 26-2. It is hard to see Rutgers being competitive in this one.

Nov. 24 at Michigan State

The losing streak at the end of the season will likely continue here, as the Spartans return 21 starters from last season.

2018 Rutger Scarlet Knights Regular Season Win Total Prediction

Rutgers is not likely to win six games and make a bowl, but they could get to four or five wins. The question is will they go over or under their win total of four games. Looking at the schedule there are three games they should win against Texas State, Buffalo and Illinois. There are two games that they could win against Kansas and Indiana. The only other game in which they might have a chance is at Maryland.

The most likely scenario for Rutgers this season has them winning exactly four games. If we were going to play the win total one way or another, we would probably lean to the under simply because there is very little margin for error for Rutgers to get to five wins.

Tokens
Pac-12 Season Outlook
August 1, 2018

August has officially arrived and that means we will have college football games to wager on by the end of the month. It also means that my preseason look at conferences has to speed up a bit as this week it's onto the Pac-12. You can find my previous previews on the other conferences I've already discussed:

The story of the Pac-12 in 2018 is about a lot of turnover up and down the conference. Top level QB talent in the country like Sam Darnold (USC) and Josh Rosen (UCLA) have moved onto the next level, and we've even got some old coaching faces in new places with Herm Edwards the new boss at Arizona State, and Chip Kelly the main man at UCLA.

Yet, the more things change in the Pac-12, the chances are we will see plenty of the old classics from teams in this conference once again. That means a shocking 'upset' loss in the first month by one of the higher ranked teams from this conference, a season filled with conference games where everyone beats up on everyone else and then nobody from the conference makes an appearance in the CFB Playoff, and just general parity throughout the entire conference.

Most Intriguing Pac-12 Future Bet

Anyone from the South Division not named USC to win Pac-12

If parity ends up being the name of the game in the Pac-12, a couple of things led me to the idea of backing a couple of South teams not named USC to win the Pac-12 title:

One, the Pac-12 title game is still contested between the winners of the North and South divisions, and when three of the top four teams in the odds chart – Washington -120, Stanford +700, and Oregon +900 – all exist in the North Division, there is already a situation where much more value exists on South programs.

USC leads the way for all the South schools at +400, but in the post Sam-Darnold era where a freshman is going to likely start for the Trojans, can you trust this program not to be a favored candidate for that shocking early season loss that kills many Pac-12 teams every year? Not only is Darnold gone, but so are the Trojans leading rusher (Ronald Jones) and #1 WR (Deontay Burnett), so USC probably has a bumpier road ahead of them then many might expect.

Secondly, let's assume USC doesn't win the Pac-12 South with all the youth they've got. Then you get a situation where you have one of Utah (+1600), Arizona (+2000), UCLA (+2500), Arizona State (+4000) or Colorado (+5000) in a one-game, winner-take-all shot against whomever comes out of the North. That opens up plenty of hedging opportunities (if wanted) or you've got basically a +1600 ML or better ticket on a one-game scenario where the point spread is likely going to end up in single-digits. That's a highly intriguing scenario for me.

Now, obviously you don't want to be betting all of them, but if you're already high on the 2018 prospects for one of these two teams, I say go ahead and fire. USC might be charging more juice (-220) for going 'over' their season win total of 7.5 compared to Utah at (+100) to go over the same number, and then you've got the season win totals for Arizona sitting at 7.5 too (-140 for 'over'). It's between those two schools – Utah and Arizona – for me now as for which one to fire on, but it also never hurts to wait a few weeks to see which Pac-12 South teams look like real contenders.

Best Future Bet

Washington Under 10 wins (+100)

If the Pac-12 is going to be littered with parity in 2018 like I firmly believe, it would be a mistake not to take the “projected” best team 'under' their win total, especially when they play in the deeper of the two divisions. I can already see the bulk of the Pac-12 being bunched up wit 6-6 and 7-5 records for a handful of teams and Washington's probably going to be on the bad side of a few of those losses.

Looking at the Huskies schedule, it's not hard to find three possible losses (that would be enough to at least push this bet should they win the Pac-12 title) considering they begin the year in Atlanta against the Auburn Tigers, have road trips to Utah, UCLA and Oregon during a five-week stretch that begins in mid-September, and probably get minimal home field advantage against a team like Stanford that can use their tremendous running game to take any crowd out of a contest. There could easily be three losses for Washington in those five games alone, and that's without talking about them being on the road at Washington State for the Apple Cup in the regular season finale. Things aren't going to come easy for this team this year and asking them to get to 11 wins is just too much.

Best Season Win Total Over Bet

UCLA Over 5.5 wins (+115)

Although picking an 'over' bet in the Pac-12 was similar to trying to pick a Pac-12 South not named USC earlier, I've settled on UCLA being the best candidate for a number of reasons. For one, the +115 odds is a nice return on asking a storied program like the Bruins to play .500 football, a goal that should feel like the floor in terms of the heights boosters want Chip Kelly to restore this Bruins program too. Kelly was a splash hire meant to turn this thing around in a hurry after they had to feel like they wasted Josh Rosen's years, and we should see some instant results for UCLA.

Secondly, for all of the flaws and mistakes we saw from Chip Kelly at the NFL level, the thing is, he's always had success at the college level and there are probably multiple reasons for that. One, Kelly can go out and handpick/recruit the type of player that has the attributes needed to success in his zone blocking, ultra-fast, run-style offense. The current Bruins aren't really going to be any of “Kelly's guys” but that doesn't mean he hasn't been molding them into shape/believers like he did at his first year in Philadelphia with the Eagles.

Secondly, Kelly's zone blocking, ultra-fast, option-style offense works it's best when there is always some sort of physical mismatch either at the point of attack or on the line somewhere. That is always more prevalent in college football where it's 18-22 year olds, some of whom are still growing/filling out/maturing. It's a lot easier to find and exploit those mismatches at the college level and Kelly is a master at finding them from his time at Oregon. That shouldn't change now that he's at UCLA and while there are still defensive concerns UCLA has this year, this should end up being a .500 football team in Year 1 under Chip Kelly.

Who plays in the Big 12 Championship Game?

Stanford vs Utah

Your guess is probably as good as mine here given all I've discussed already in this piece, but I settled on Stanford vs Utah because I believe their commitment (and talent) to both the running game and being strong defensive football teams will prove to be the difference in the chaos that this Pac-12 Conference should end up being.

Both Stanford and Utah are projected to finish 2nd in their respective divisions based on many pronositcations out there and the actual odds themselves, so it's not like I'm taking a huge leap of faith here. Stanford's got arguably the most continuity on their roster this year compared to the bulk of their peers, and Utah is a team that's got a bigger home-field advantage than most think and they get to host both Washington and USC this year in games that might determine quite a bit in terms of this prediction coming true.

But really, I wouldn't be surprised to see any sort of combination in the Pac-12 title game this year because that's how close I see it breaking overall. One bad bounce in a game, one bad injury, or one freshman star shining through the clouds through the first 4-8 weeks of the season could have this entire conference flipped on it's head. What I do know though is this; Pac-12 underdogs in conference play are probably going to end up being a really good bet in 2018 with all the parity this conference should have.

Tokens
BC-FBC--College Football Preview Package,ADVISORY
August 3, 2018

To help you with planning ahead of the college football season, some of our plans in coming weeks. This digest will be updated through August. For questions, please contact Dave Zelio (dzelio(at)ap.org). All times Eastern.

Adds FBC--SUMMER JOBS package for Aug. 8, FBC--ALLEN'S LAST CHANCE for Aug. 20.

TOP 25 POLL

The 2018 preseason Top 25 will be released on Monday, Aug. 20, at noon. The weekly poll will begin on Tuesday, Sept. 4, and will then be sent every Sunday at 2 p.m. through the rest of the regular season. The final poll will be sent roughly an hour after the national championship game the evening of Monday, Jan. 7. This is the 83rd year of the Top 25 poll.

PRESEASON ALL-AMERICA

The AP will release its preseason All-America team on Tuesday, Aug. 21 at noon. The first AP All-America team was selected in 1925, a decade before the first Heisman Trophy. The same expert panel of 61 sports writers and broadcasters from AP-affiliated media around the country who decide the Top 25 will select preseason All-America players for each position for first and second teams.

TEAM PREVIEWS

All team previews, written in a things-to-know style, will move on Thursday, Aug. 16. Each preview will be approximately 700 words, with photos.

CONFERENCE PREVIEWS (each approximately 800 words, with photos.

Aug. 13: SEC, Pac 12

Aug. 14: Big Ten, Atlantic Coast

Aug. 15 Big 12, Mountain West

Aug. 17: Remaining Group of Five conference previews

MAIN EVENTS

FBC--REDSHIRT RULE

Under a new NCAA rule change, football players will be able get into four games and still take a redshirt season. The shift is a boon for coaches, who are taking a whole new look at roster management. By College Football Writer Ralph D. Russo. SENT: 800 words, photos Aug. 1.

FBC--SLOWING DOWN

College football's offensive revolution is literally slowing down. For the third straight season possessions per game dropped and 2017 saw a significant drop in plays per game, which led to less scoring. The ''fast football'' craze sparked by the likes of Oregon appears to be fading. By College Football Writer Ralph D. Russo. UPCOMING: 800 words, photos by noon Aug. 6.

FBC--YEAR OF THE DEFENSIVE LINEMAN

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - In college football's year of the defensive lineman, Boston College's Zach Allen is not getting the publicity of Clemson's four potential first-round draft picks, the latest Bosa harassing quarterbacks at Ohio State or Houston's Ed Oliver. But the NFL scouts are well aware of Allen, too. With an obsessive dedication to an early-to-bed-early-too-rise routine and strict diet of George Foreman Grill meals, Allen has put himself on the same level as all those former five-star prospects. By College Football Writer Ralph D. Russo. UPCOMING: 750 words, photos by noon Aug. 9. With FBC--PICK SIX-DEFENSIVE LINEMEN.

FBC--HOW TO MAKE A SCHEDULE

Touting the strength of a schedule has become all the rage in the College Football Playoff era. Schools and conferences want to schedule to impress the selection committee, but the driving factor in most scheduling decisions is the budget. By College Football Writer Ralph D. Russo. UPCOMING: 700 words, photos by noon Aug. 22.

SUMMER JOBS

FBC--SUMMER JOBS

College football players do not have a much of an offseason, and summer tends to be no break. Still, Arizona State's Kyle Williams has managed to take steps toward his long-term goal of becoming an orthopedic surgeon over the last two summers. Williams has been shadowing ASU's team doctor at the Mayo Clinic. By Ralph D. Russo. UPCOMING: 700 words, photos, video by 5 a.m. Aug. 8.

FBC--SUMMER JOBS-FARMER'S WORK

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - Penn State linebacker Koa Farmer loves crime-solving television shows like ''CSI,'' ''Law & Order'' and ''Bones.'' Last summer, he got a taste of what it's like to solve real crimes. His internship involved ride-a-longs with federal agents and Maryland police and work with forensics experts. By Ralph D. Russo. UPCOMING: 500 words, with photos, video by 5 a.m. Aug. 8.

FBC--SUMMER JOBS-IT'S A ZOO

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Minnesota defensive linemen Winston DeLattiboudere, a junior, and Jerry Gibson, a senior, worked this summer as security guards at the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory for the city of St. Paul, a few miles from campus. One of the Gophers coaches made the connection, and they both jumped at the opportunity to feed the giraffes, high-five the kids and help keep the zoo grounds safe. By Dave Campbell. UPCOMING: 600 words, photos and video by 5 a.m. Aug. 8.

Also:

- FBC--SUMMER JOBS-DALTON'S BLOG, K-State standout lineman Dalton Risner runs a popular blog. By Dave Skretta. UPCOMING: 700 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 8.

FEATURES

FBC--ALABAMA-QB SAGA

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Alabama has Tua Tagovailoa, hero of the national championship game, and Jalen Hurts, who has done little but win in two seasons as starter. The defending national champion Crimson Tide's quarterback competition figures to be one of the preseason's hottest topics. Coach Nick Saban wants it to play out on the field, not in the media. By John Zenor. UPCOMING: 700 words, photos by 5 p.m. on Aug. 7.

FBC--OKLAHOMA-MILLIONAIRE MURRAY

NORMAN, Okla. - It takes a special kind of swagger to follow Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield at quarterback, and Oklahoma's Kyler Murray definitely has it. For starters, the first-round Major League Baseball draft pick has signed for nearly $5 million to play for the Oakland A's. He's fully committed to football for one year, and if he can beat out Austin Kendall for the starting job, the speedster could be one of college football's most electrifying players. By Cliff Brunt. UPCOMING: 750 words, with photos by noon Aug. 11.

FBC--MISSISSIPPI ST-MOORHEAD AND FITZ

STARKVILLE, Miss. - Joe Moorhead earned his reputation as an offensive savant after rebuilding Penn State's attack over two seasons. Now the new Mississippi State coach will try to mesh his philosophy with veteran Nick Fitzgerald, who has been one of the best dual-threat quarterbacks in the country over the past two seasons but is coming off a gruesome leg injury in last year's Egg Bowl. By David Brandt. UPCOMING: 750 words, photos by 5 p.m. on Aug. 12.

FBC--PENN STATE-RAHNE'S CHANCE

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - No pressure, Ricky Rahne. Penn State's new offensive coordinator takes over a unit missing star running back Saquon Barkley and the man who made it hum, Joe Moorhead. But if he can keep things rolling in State College, he could be the next hot coordinator in college football. By College Football Writer Ralph D. Russo. UPCOMING: 750 words, photos by 5 p.m. on Aug. 13. With FBC--PICK SIX-RISING COORDINATORS.

FBC--ALLEN'S LAST CHANCE

Dakota Allen still feels this is his last chance, even after a successful return to Texas Tech following a well-documented season at an East Mississippi junior college. After being Tech's second-leading tackler as a freshman in 2015, the linebacker was involved in an off-field incident which led to him being kicked off the team and out of school. He thought his football career was over. But he spent the 2016 season with the first team featured in Netflix's ''Last Chance U'' series, then got the opportunity to return to Texas Tech. He was a team captain last season and now goes into his senior year as a preseason All-Big 12 pick. By Stephen Hawkins. UPCOMING: 800 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 20.

SENT:

FBC--NEBRASKA-BUILD IT LIKE TOM

LINCOLN, Neb. - Scott Frost's job is to return Nebraska to the place it held in the college football hierarchy two decades ago. Frost is driven by his profound respect for his mentor Tom Osborne. Frost has said repeatedly Nebraska made a mistake moving away from the methods Osborne used on and off the field to make the Cornhuskers great. His plan is to bring back that identity. By College Football Writer Eric Olson. SENT: 800 words, photos on Aug. 2.

FBC--ACC-CLEMSON'S LEAGUE

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Dabo Swinney has built Clemson into an every-year power with regular College Football Playoff appearances and a recent national championship. None of that could've happened without first asserting unquestioned control of the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Tigers open practice this week with two league losses in three seasons and as the overwhelming favorite to become the first team to win four straight ACC titles since Florida State's romp through the 1990s. By Aaron Beard. SENT: 790 words and photos on July 31.

SHAREABLES

- FBC--PICK SIX-GROUP OF FIVE, the top teams from the so-called Group of Five conferences. By Steve Megargee. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 6

- FBC--PICK SIX-IMPACT TRANSFERS, the top non-quarterback transfers who are ready to play. By Genaro C. Armas. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 7.

- FBC--PICK SIX-AWARD HOPEFULS, our way-too-early predictions for the top player awards. By Steve Megargee. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 8.

- FBC--PICK SIX-BACK FROM INJURY, top players back in the mix this season after injuries. By Steve Megargee. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 9.

- FBC--PICK SIX-HOT SEAT COACHES, which coaches may have the most to lose this season. By Ralph D. Russo. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 10.

- FBC--PICK SIX-HEISMAN DARKHORSES, the top off-the-radar possibilities for the Heisman this season. By Joe Reedy. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 13.

- FBC--PICK SIX-GOOD PLAYERS ON BAD TEAMS, the best of the crop stuck on teams expected to struggle. By Ralph D. Russo. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 14.

- FBC--PICK SIX-IMPACT FRESHMAN, the top freshman to watch this season. By Steve Megargee. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 15.

- FBC--PICK SIX-PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS, the four teams we think will make the College Football Playoff. By Ralph D. Russo. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 16.

- FBC--PICK SIX-CRITICAL GAMES, the race to the national championship includes a bunch of tantalizing matchups. By Noah Trister. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 17.

- FBC--PICK SIX-REDSHIRT FRESHMAN, the top youngsters to watch this season. By Steve Megargee. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 5 a.m. Aug. 18.

AP TOP 25 PODCAST

The AP Top 25 podcast is published weekly on Tuesday evenings. It can be found on APNews.com and iTunes .

AP SPORTS EXTRA: PRESEASON POLL PAGE

A paginated look at the preseason Top 25 poll will be available shortly after the poll is released on Aug. 20. The AP Sports Extra pages are available in full broadsheet, half broadsheet and tabloid size (perfect for preseason football tabs). They will include space for local advertising or content. The pages will focus on the 25 teams selected by AP poll voters with emphasis on those at the very top. The pages are available at no charge to all AP Sports subscribers. Contact Barry Bedlan at bbedlan(at)ap.org for more information.

DIGITAL NEWS EXPERIENCE

All the content in this advisory will be available through the College Football Digital News Experience, an all-digital presentation focused entirely on AP's college football coverage and anchored around the marquee Top 25 poll. The site, which is responsive to all devices, is available for free and pays a revenue share to participating sites. The DNE allows for local customization of the site logo, navigation bar, highlighted teams and other features, including embeddable widgets around the poll and Latest News. Some examples: http://collegefootball.ap.org/tampabay and http://collegefootball.ap.org/newsday . Contact your local sales representative or Barry Bedlan at bbedlan(at)ap.org to take advantage of this free digital offering.

Banned
Tokens
CNotes, I do not know who'se column you are posting here, but if the writer really thinks that Washington is going to lose 3 games, and that UCLA is going to win 6, that person has a huge problem. There is no way that Washington loses to UCLA. They should be able to handle Utah and Auburn. I can see Arizona winning the PAC 12 South. Utah does not have enough talent on defense to stop them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tipacrip
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com