Why?

Search

Tokens
A new poll released Thursday shows a majority of Americans want to keep Confederate statues in place to “honor” fallen leaders of the South.
According to an NPR/PBS Newshour/Marist poll, which was conducted among 1,125 U.S. citizens by phone Aug. 14-15,

the overwhelming majority — 62 percent — want the monuments to remain while a much smaller share of Americans — 27 percent — want them removed.

Tokens
Once again the the vocal libtards get their way over the silent majority.

Disgusting that the vocal minority are calling the shots

Never bet against America.
Tokens
Confederate statues were erected by racists who were pissed that they lost the Civil War as a reminder to the Negro to "stay in your place."

Is this true? Either you're going by what you presume to feel as true or you have sources to back this up. Not saying you're wrong but just wondering if this is accurate.

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
Professional victims being victims, and libtard nation creating a wedge issue, that's why

They can't win with ideas or policy, so they seek to divide us, that's why

Should Italy destroy everything the Roman's built? How about the Egyptians? How can the Jews get through their days knowing such artifacts exist?

Where does it stop? and what cocksucking fucking idiot gets to decide?

Tokens
Is this true? Either you're going by what you presume to feel as true or you have sources to back this up. Not saying you're wrong but just wondering if this is accurate.

Confederate Monuments Deserve to Go

Taking them down and putting up different statues is a reminder that in understanding the past, we shape the future.

Steve Chapman | July 2, 2017

Lee.jpg

Max Becherer/Polaris/Newscom

In 1871, the city of Richmond, Virginia, publicly celebrated the Fourth of July. It was an unfamiliar experience. There had been no general commemoration of Independence Day since 1860—before Virginia had seceded from the nation that was formed in 1776.

Other Southern cities were not ready to resume participation in our national ritual. Cheraw became the first place in post-Civil War South Carolina to do so, in 1891. Jackson, Mississippi, waited until 1901 to hold a reading of the Declaration of Independence on the occasion. Vicksburg, Mississippi, didn't join the party until 1945.

Staunch supporters of the Lost Cause had little fondness for the United States. The Stars and Stripes was the banner of their enemy. When Union troops occupied Richmond in April 1865, the first thing they did was hoist the American flag over the capitol.

The die-hards recognized what some Southerners miss: the deep contradiction between loving America and revering the Confederacy. The struggle over what to do with monuments to rebel leaders is a conflict between those who think what they did was admirable or heroic and those who think it was disgraceful.

My long-dead relatives include several men who fought for the South. One was Gen. Leonidas Polk, who commanded troops in several major battles before being killed in action. He was not the last person to illustrate that fallibility runs in the family.

In 1961, when I was a boy in the West Texas city of Midland, a new high school opened. It was named after Robert E. Lee, for reasons that are obvious: White resentment of the civil rights movement had produced widespread nostalgia for the Confederacy. San Antonio's Lee High School opened in 1958; Houston's in 1962.

Midland Lee called its sports teams the Rebels and used the Confederate battle flag as its symbol. Black students didn't mind, because there weren't any. They attended a segregated black school.

The general did have a connection to Texas. His last U.S. Army command before the Civil War was at a fort in the Hill Country town of Mason—which has no Lee monument. Gerald Gamel, editor of the Mason County News, ascribes the omission to strong anti-secession sentiment in Mason. That tells you something about why other places honor Confederate heroes.

The town had good company in its resistance. Gov. Sam Houston, who fiercely opposed secession, was removed from office because he refused to take an oath to the Confederacy.

His role comes to mind because of a recent rally in defense of a statue of him in Houston, which supposedly was under threat from leftists because he owned slaves. Armed counter-protesters, many expressing secessionist views, showed up on the appointed date. But the threat was a hoax, and Houston's self-styled defenders apparently didn't know that he saw disunion as treason.

It was. Yet grand memorials were erected across the South to celebrate what the traitors did. The monuments were built by whites at a time when blacks had no political power—a condition those whites were desperate to preserve.

They failed, and they deserved to fail. It's only fitting that Southerners who reject the legacies of slavery, secession, and Jim Crow would prefer to be rid of these tributes to them.

It's not a symptom of modern political correctness. Days after the Declaration of Independence was signed, a New York mob destroyed a statue of King George III.

If the men and women of the Revolution were eager to be rid of the images of those who had oppressed them and made war on America, why should African-Americans in the South feel differently about statues of leaders who fought to keep their race in chains?

For a long time, American history was owned by white men and minimized the treatment of blacks, women, Indians, and Latinos.

Accommodating our public spaces to their full citizenship doesn't erase history. It fills in parts that had been shamefully omitted.

The Confederate monuments belong not in places of honor but in museums, as artifacts of past error. They were put up to enshrine an interpretation of the past that has been discredited. Taking them down and putting up different statues is a reminder that in understanding the past, we shape the future.

If there's a statue of my relative Leonidas Polk honoring his Confederate leadership, I'm willing to see it pulled down. In fact, I'd like to be there to help.

Tokens

MAY 23, 2017

This is the full text of the remarks delivered last week by the mayor of New Orleans, Mitch Landrieu, upon his removal of the last of the city’s several Confederate monuments.

Thank you for coming.

The soul of our beloved City is deeply rooted in a history that has evolved over thousands of years; rooted in a diverse people who have been here together every step of the way — for both good and for ill. It is a history that holds in its heart the stories of Native Americans — the Choctaw, Houma Nation, the Chitimacha. Of Hernando De Soto, Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, the Acadians, the Islenos, the enslaved people from Senegambia, Free People of Colorix, the Haitians, the Germans, both the empires of France and Spain. The Italians, the Irish, the Cubans, the south and central Americans, the Vietnamese and so many more.

You see — New Orleans is truly a city of many nations, a melting pot, a bubbling caldron of many cultures. There is no other place quite like it in the world that so eloquently exemplifies the uniquely American motto: e pluribus unum — out of many we are one. But there are also other truths about our city that we must confront. New Orleans was America’s largest slave market: a port where hundreds of thousands of souls were bought, sold and shipped up the Mississippi River to lives of forced labor of misery of rape, of torture. America was the place where nearly 4000 of our fellow citizens were lynched, 540 alone in Louisiana; where the courts enshrined ‘separate but equal’; where Freedom riders coming to New Orleans were beaten to a bloody pulp. So when people say to me that the monuments in question are history, well what I just described is real history as well, and it is the searing truth.

And it immediately begs the questions, why there are no slave ship monuments, no prominent markers on public land to remember the lynchings or the slave blocks; nothing to remember this long chapter of our lives; the pain, the sacrifice, the shame... all of it happening on the soil of New Orleans. So for those self-appointed defenders of history and the monuments, they are eerily silent on what amounts to this historical malfeasance, a lie by omission. There is a difference between remembrance of history and reverence of it.

For America and New Orleans, it has been a long, winding road, marked by great tragedy and great triumph. But we cannot be afraid of our truth. As President George W. Bush said at the dedication ceremony for the National Museum of African American History & Culture, “A great nation does not hide its history. It faces its flaws and corrects them.” So today I want to speak about why we chose to remove these four monuments to the Lost Cause of the Confederacy, but also how and why this process can move us towards healing and understanding of each other. So, let’s start with the facts.

The historic record is clear, the Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, and P.G.T. Beauregard statues were not erected just to honor these men, but as part of the movement which became known as The Cult of the Lost Cause. This ‘cult’ had one goal — through monuments and through other means — to rewrite history to hide the truth, which is that the Confederacy was on the wrong side of humanity. First erected over 166 years after the founding of our city and 19 years after the end of the Civil War, the monuments that we took down were meant to rebrand the history of our city and the ideals of a defeated Confederacy. It is self-evident that these men did not fight for the United States of America, They fought against it. They may have been warriors, but in this cause they were not patriots. These statues are not just stone and metal. They are not just innocent remembrances of a benign history. These monuments purposefully celebrate a fictional, sanitized Confederacy; ignoring the death, ignoring the enslavement, and the terror that it actually stood for.

After the Civil War, these statues were a part of that terrorism as much as a burning cross on someone’s lawn; they were erected purposefully to send a strong message to all who walked in their shadows about who was still in charge in this city. Should you have further doubt about the true goals of the Confederacy, in the very weeks before the war broke out, the Vice President of the Confederacy, Alexander Stephens, made it clear that the Confederate cause was about maintaining slavery and white supremacy. He said in his now famous ‘cornerstone speech’ that the Confederacy’s “cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery — subordination to the superior race — is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.”

Now, with these shocking words still ringing in your ears... I want to try to gently peel from your hands the grip on a false narrative of our history that I think weakens us. And make straight a wrong turn we made many years ago — we can more closely connect with integrity to the founding principles of our nation and forge a clearer and straighter path toward a better city and a more perfect union.

Last year, President Barack Obama echoed these sentiments about the need to contextualize and remember all our history. He recalled a piece of stone, a slave auction block engraved with a marker commemorating a single moment in 1830 when Andrew Jackson and Henry Clay stood and spoke from it. President Obama said, “Consider what this artifact tells us about history... on a stone where day after day for years, men and women... bound and bought and sold and bid like cattle on a stone worn down by the tragedy of over a thousand bare feet. For a long time the only thing we considered important, the singular thing we once chose to commemorate as history with a plaque were the unmemorable speeches of two powerful men.”

A piece of stone — one stone. Both stories were history. One story told. One story forgotten or maybe even purposefully ignored. As clear as it is for me today... for a long time, even though I grew up in one of New Orleans’ most diverse neighborhoods, even with my family’s long proud history of fighting for civil rights... I must have passed by those monuments a million times without giving them a second thought. So I am not judging anybody, I am not judging people. We all take our own journey on race.

I just hope people listen like I did when my dear friend Wynton Marsalis helped me see the truth. He asked me to think about all the people who have left New Orleans because of our exclusionary attitudes. Another friend asked me to consider these four monuments from the perspective of an African American mother or father trying to explain to their fifth grade daughter who Robert E. Lee is and why he stands atop of our beautiful city. Can you do it? Can you look into that young girl’s eyes and convince her that Robert E. Lee is there to encourage her? Do you think she will feel inspired and hopeful by that story? Do these monuments help her see a future with limitless potential? Have you ever thought that if her potential is limited, yours and mine are too? We all know the answer to these very simple questions. When you look into this child’s eyes is the moment when the searing truth comes into focus for us. This is the moment when we know what is right and what we must do. We can’t walk away from this truth.

And I knew that taking down the monuments was going to be tough, but you elected me to do the right thing, not the easy thing and this is what that looks like. So relocating these Confederate monuments is not about taking something away from someone else. This is not about politics, this is not about blame or retaliation. This is not a naïve quest to solve all our problems at once.

This is however about showing the whole world that we as a city and as a people are able to acknowledge, understand, reconcile and most importantly, choose a better future for ourselves making straight what has been crooked and making right what was wrong. Otherwise, we will continue to pay a price with discord, with division and yes with violence.

To literally put the Confederacy on a pedestal in our most prominent places of honor is an inaccurate recitation of our full past. It is an affront to our present, and it is a bad prescription for our future. History cannot be changed. It cannot be moved like a statue. What is done is done. The Civil War is over, and the Confederacy lost and we are better for it. Surely we are far enough removed from this dark time to acknowledge that the cause of the Confederacy was wrong.

And in the second decade of the 21st century, asking African Americans — or anyone else — to drive by property that they own; occupied by reverential statues of men who fought to destroy the country and deny that person’s humanity seems perverse and absurd. Centuries old wounds are still raw because they never healed right in the first place. Here is the essential truth. We are better together than we are apart.

Indivisibility is our essence. Isn’t this the gift that the people of New Orleans have given to the world? We radiate beauty and grace in our food, in our music, in our architecture, in our joy of life, in our celebration of death; in everything that we do. We gave the world this funky thing called jazz, the most uniquely American art form that is developed across the ages from different cultures. Think about second lines, think about Mardi Gras, think about muffaletta, think about the Saints, gumbo, red beans and rice. By God, just think.

All we hold dear is created by throwing everything in the pot; creating, producing something better; everything a product of our historic diversity. We are proof that out of many we are one — and better for it! Out of many we are one — and we really do love it! And yet, we still seem to find so many excuses for not doing the right thing. Again, remember President Bush’s words, “A great nation does not hide its history. It faces its flaws and corrects them.”

We forget, we deny how much we really depend on each other, how much we need each other. We justify our silence and inaction by manufacturing noble causes that marinate in historical denial. We still find a way to say ‘wait’/not so fast, but like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said, “wait has almost always meant never.” We can’t wait any longer. We need to change. And we need to change now.

No more waiting. This is not just about statues, this is about our attitudes and behavior as well. If we take these statues down and don’t change to become a more open and inclusive society this would have all been in vain. While some have driven by these monuments every day and either revered their beauty or failed to see them at all, many of our neighbors and fellow Americans see them very clearly. Many are painfully aware of the long shadows their presence casts; not only literally but figuratively. And they clearly receive the message that the Confederacy and the cult of the lost cause intended to deliver.

Earlier this week, as the cult of the lost cause statue of P.G.T Beauregard came down, world renowned musician Terence Blanchard stood watch, his wife Robin and their two beautiful daughters at their side. Terence went to a high school on the edge of City Park named after one of America’s greatest heroes and patriots, John F. Kennedy. But to get there he had to pass by this monument to a man who fought to deny him his humanity.

He said, “I’ve never looked at them as a source of pride... it’s always made me feel as if they were put there by people who don’t respect us. This is something I never thought I’d see in my lifetime. It’s a sign that the world is changing.” Yes, Terence, it is and it is long overdue. Now is the time to send a new message to the next generation of New Orleanians who can follow in Terence and Robin’s remarkable footsteps.

A message about the future, about the next 300 years and beyond; let us not miss this opportunity New Orleans and let us help the rest of the country do the same. Because now is the time for choosing. Now is the time to actually make this the City we always should have been, had we gotten it right in the first place.

We should stop for a moment and ask ourselves — at this point in our history — after Katrina, after Rita, after Ike, after Gustav, after the national recession, after the BP oil catastrophe and after the tornado — if presented with the opportunity to build monuments that told our story or to curate these particular spaces... would these monuments be what we want the world to see? Is this really our story?

We have not erased history; we are becoming part of the city’s history by righting the wrong image these monuments represent and crafting a better, more complete future for all our children and for future generations. And unlike when these Confederate monuments were first erected as symbols of white supremacy, we now have a chance to create not only new symbols, but to do it together, as one people. In our blessed land we all come to the table of democracy as equals. We have to reaffirm our commitment to a future where each citizen is guaranteed the uniquely American gifts of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

That is what really makes America great and today it is more important than ever to hold fast to these values and together say a self-evident truth that out of many we are one. That is why today we reclaim these spaces for the United States of America. Because we are one nation, not two; indivisible with liberty and justice for all... not some. We all are part of one nation, all pledging allegiance to one flag, the flag of the United States of America. And New Orleanians are in... all of the way. It is in this union and in this truth that real patriotism is rooted and flourishes. Instead of revering a 4-year brief historical aberration that was called the Confederacy we can celebrate all 300 years of our rich, diverse history as a place named New Orleans and set the tone for the next 300 years.

After decades of public debate, of anger, of anxiety, of anticipation, of humiliation and of frustration. After public hearings and approvals from three separate community led commissions. After two robust public hearings and a 6-1 vote by the duly elected New Orleans City Council. After review by 13 different federal and state judges. The full weight of the legislative, executive and judicial branches of government has been brought to bear and the monuments in accordance with the law have been removed. So now is the time to come together and heal and focus on our larger task. Not only building new symbols, but making this city a beautiful manifestation of what is possible and what we as a people can become.

Let us remember what the once exiled, imprisoned and now universally loved Nelson Mandela and what he said after the fall of apartheid. “If the pain has often been unbearable and the revelations shocking to all of us, it is because they indeed bring us the beginnings of a common understanding of what happened and a steady restoration of the nation’s humanity.” So before we part let us again state the truth clearly.

The Confederacy was on the wrong side of history and humanity. It sought to tear apart our nation and subjugate our fellow Americans to slavery. This is the history we should never forget and one that we should never again put on a pedestal to be revered. As a community, we must recognize the significance of removing New Orleans’ Confederate monuments. It is our acknowledgment that now is the time to take stock of, and then move past, a painful part of our history.

Anything less would render generations of courageous struggle and soul-searching a truly lost cause. Anything less would fall short of the immortal words of our greatest President Abraham Lincoln, who with an open heart and clarity of purpose calls on us today to unite as one people when he said: “With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation’s wounds...to do all which may achieve and cherish — a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.”

Thank you.

Never bet against America.
Tokens
Thank you for that Scott L. I have a greater understanding of your point of view.

Tokens
So crowds tear them down. Wonder what happen if I got truck and chain and toppled a MLK statue??

Tokens
62% of Republicans think they should stay
44% of Democrats think they should stay
61% of Independents think they should stay

Your media is misleading you.

Tokens
62% of Republicans think they should stay
44% of Democrats think they should stay
61% of Independents think they should stay

Your media is misleading you.

[h=1]New poll reveals how most Americans feel about Confederate statues[/h]Jon Street Aug 17, 2017 2:45 pm

GettyImages-833001064-1280x720.jpg
A new NPR/PBS Newshour/Marist poll shows that a majority of Americans think Confederate statues should be left alone in light of last weekend's terror attack in Charlottesville, Virginia. (Ty Wright/Getty Images)

A new poll released Thursday shows a majority of Americans want to keep Confederate statues in place to “honor” fallen leaders of the South.
According to an NPR/PBS Newshour/Marist poll, which was conducted among 1,125 U.S. citizens by phone Aug. 14-15, the overwhelming majority — 62 percent — want the monuments to remain while a much smaller share of Americans — 27 percent — want them removed.

Tokens
32.jpg

32.gif

I am very happy to take part in this unveiling of the statue of General Robert E. Lee.

All over the United States we recognize him as a great leader of men, as a great general. But, also, all over the United States I believe that we recognize him as something much more important than that. We recognize Robert E. Lee as one of our greatest American Christians and one of our greatest American gentlemen.

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

72 - Remarks at the Unveiling of the Robert E. Lee Memorial Statue, Dallas, Texas.
June 12, 1936

Tokens
[h=1]BATISTE: Mitch Landrieu Exposed – Secret Property, White Supremacy & A Staff Affair[/h][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.55)]May 4th, 2017 Johann Batiste
[/COLOR]

Presidential candidate Mitch Landrieu may want to take a long look in the mirror of honesty if he wants to step on the national stage. Mitch keeps the public in the dark on removing their monuments because that is his modus operandi–he has a closet full of skeletons.

The New Orleans media has given Mitch a long leash. Forget about the balcony tax, your second property tax bill, the sinkhole, increased parking penalties, the traffic camera money-grab, the proposed curfew for Bourbon Street, the NOPD consent decree, the crime, the brazen violence, and the murders. Mitch has baggage most people are unaware of–secret property, well hidden white supremacy, and an extramarital affair.

Property is an interesting topic. Especially property owned by Mitch and his family that he tried to hide from the public.

Decades back, the Landrieu family made a property investment in parking lots, one clump of lots on O’Keefe Ave. and one on Girod St. The origin is unclear. Shelley Landrieu said she could not remember whether in 1994 her father, former Mayor Moon Landrieu, purchased the properties or if she and her eight siblings paid for them. Talk about elite people problems! The group named “Nineland” lists Mayor Mitch Landrieu as an Officer of the company on the Secretary of State’s website.The New Orleans media has only mentioned the Landrieu lots once. In July 2013, Tyler Bridges of The Lens wrote about the South Market development – as did we at The Hayride. The Landrieus’ parking lot on O’Keefe was classified for tax exemptions and Bridges inquired about it being a conflict of interest. At the time Mitch’s sister Mary was a U.S. Senator and his sister Madeleine served as a judge. These are some excerpts from The Lens’ piece:

The mayor and an aide told The Lens that the issue wasn’t worth writing about.

“The consequence of you writing that story is people will question my integrity,” Landrieu told The Lens in an interview. “I don’t see the story.”

While the story did not note the value or history of the Girod St. lot across from Herbsaint, there are two lots. One does not have any information on the Assessor’s website. The other had the certified value at $1,044,200. The last transaction on the Assessor’s online database for this property is dated May 1964 with no cost of sale and says the current ownership is the United States of America. Shelley Landrieu, another sibling who is listed as Nineland’s agent, said they own the Girod lot mainly so the family can erect a viewing stand on St. Charles to watch Mardi Gras parades. Yeah, sure.

The O’Keefe Ave. lots have seen a nice bump in value. City property records show that Nineland bought the O’Keefe parking lots in 1994 for a total of $295,000. In 2013, their value was $1,008,890. After the development of the South Market District, the current Assessor certified values of the seven parcels combined is $1,513,300. In less than three years, the Landrieu siblings increased their property value by half a million dollars.

The big question about the lots centers on code enforcement. The Landrieu lots on O’Keefe do not have the fence/barrier required in the City Code.

Sec. 26-483. – All parking lots shall be separated from walkways, sidewalks, streets, or alleys by a wall, fence, excluding chain-link fencing, landscaping, curbing wheel stops or any combination thereof, approved by the department of public works, safety and permits, and the Central Business District Historic Landmarks Commission when applicable, so as to prevent all vehicles parked thereon from protruding over publicly owned areas.

How could a parking lot owned by the Landrieu family remain out of code for more than two decades? They should be fined and it should be retroactive. Let’s see how quickly it becomes compliant!

The parking situation downtown has evolved more since The Lens article in 2013. On January 11, 2016, Mitch doubled the hourly parking meter rates to $3 and extended the collection hours to 7 pm daily. The City also increased the penalties for parking tickets from $20 to $30. The $3 per hour rate is applied in the French Quarter, Marigny, Warehouse District, and Central Business District. The Landrieu family owns two parking lots in the CBD.

A Mayor who owns two parking lots made street parking more costly. How or why the New Orleans media did not bring this one in to picture with the pushback against the parking overhaul is unknown.

Let’s move to Mitch’s favorite subject: white supremacy. Mitch, Mary, and Moon have never acknowledged their African ancestry. The family obviously prefers–and chose–to identify racially as white. Moon’s father was listed as “black” on the U.S. Census in 1900. On the next one in 1910, the Landrieu family officially changed to “white.” Mitch and Mary’s grandfather changed the family racial identity from black to white.

This info has been rumored around New Orleans for generations. Then about a year ago, flyers–identical to Take Em Down flyers for the activists’ targeted monuments–popped up on the internet and around town labeling Mitch a white supremacist. Huh? But think about it: Mitch prefers that people think he is white, not black. This is a clear indication, from a person who always works an angle, that Mitch thinks it’s more important to be white than black. It’s the very definition of white supremacy. Plus, while in the Louisiana legislature he voted in support of Confederate flag license plates.

Mitch should embrace his heritage–hiding it proves that he prefers his white ancestry more than his black ancestry. Mitch Landrieu is a white supremacist.

The Landrieu’s hidden ancestry puts the removal of historic monuments in perspective. The Mayor who ignores his past wants to whitewash the city’s past too.

Now to the one he thinks he escaped. Mitch Landrieu likes to operate in the dark and it brings to mind an old rumor that has stayed just below the surface for years.

The rumor claimed that the Mayor had an active affair with a member of his staff who dealt with the press. It spread by whisper in the summer of 2011. Reporters throughout the city all heard. As the rumors spread, the situation became complicated. As a press flack for her lover and boss, she had to face reporters. Or not. She hid.

The rumors flamed on. One story got around that Mitch went on a date at a restaurant with his concubine, when his wife walked in. Oops.

The affair story popped up here and there, then it seemed to be hushed. Mitch is a master manipulator and bullies the press. But it resurfaced with claims that Mitch Landrieu had an illegitimate child with his girlfriend. Similarly to allegations against David Vitter, the bastard was put up for adoption.

When the First Lady heard, she dropped the ultimatum: the girlfriend must go. The Mayor did not ship his PR girl far, she landed at another job in 2013 that conveniently seems like political placement. The rumors also went that the Mayor was kicked out of his own house. But don’t cry over the torn-apart-lovers, Mitch and his girlfriend can still interact regularly and below the radar as she is on the Tricentennial Committee.

Is this all true? It’s more true than Mitch Landrieu saying Robert E. Lee never stepped foot in New Orleans.

Note that a Democrat who has rampant rumors known and repeated widely by reporters feels little pressure, while a Republican like Vitter came under an onslaught of questions and allegations.

If Mitch thinks his night-time activities won’t be scrutinized, he and his wife are in for a rude awakening.

Mitch is a strange guy. Before debates and speeches, Mitch pumps himself up mentally by talking to himself, saying things such as, “You can do it, Mitch!” He can continue to pep himself up, but really, by presenting a facade to the public, Mitch has “done it” to himself.

Answer for your history, Mitch. Take responsibility for “life decisions.” Step out of the shadows in to the light, the national stage is a bright one!

Tokens
mitch-puddles-pity-party-800x400.jpg

It’s Time To End The Failure Of The Mitch Landrieu Era

If Mitch Landrieu refuses to resign amid catastrophic leadership and government failure, New Orleanians have the opportunity to push him out of office.

Mitch simply does not care about New Orleans. He returned last Monday after the flood, and as of Sunday, August 13th, Mitch still had not reviewed the pump station logs from August 5th. Turns out, the City’s pump deficiencies during the flood were as bad as rumored per WWL’s report on the logs.

Mitch finally, on Sunday afternoon, 8 days after his administration’s biggest debacle, finally took a look into the Sewerage & Water Board books. More pumps down. Employee missing from the Lakeview station. The logs revealed rampant government failure.

Mitch told Katie Moore of WWL last week, “I’ll take my hits, Cedric will take his hits, everybody else will.” Cedric retired. If Mitch truly will “take his hits” like Cedric Grant, then Mitch should resign. No one trusts the government now. Mitch is a joke. He’s being lampooned as Puddles the Clown.

Since the Mitchator won’t resign, the citizens of New Orleans have a special opportunity to kick him out of office. Currently, Mitch’s second term expires June 1, 2018. However, a group called NOLA Smarter Inauguration has a petition that would kick Mitch to the curb early. Residents of New Orleans can download & sign THIS PETITION which at 10,000 signatures, forces the City Council to put it on the ballot.

Another option which everyone should exercise is contacting City Council Members, phone calls AND emails, and politely request they put the accelerated inauguration on the October ballot. The Council can do this on their own, without force of petition. Like the million-plus emails that went to Louisiana Legislators, not only can people take action, support to remove Mitch early can be proven with information requests by reporters.

The argument as to how misguided Mitch Landrieu’s priorities are is quite simple. The City admitted Mitch sends a proxy to S&WB meetings. He has not simply neglected, but ignored the drainage needs of New Orleans for seven years. And as to where his focus has been, it’s obvious, just read a few examples from a June article in The Advocate about the costs of Mitch’s pet project:

• the city spent about $1.04 million of public money on other related costs, including the bills for New Orleans police, firefighters and Emergency Medical Services personnel to be present at the removals and at a massive protest at the Lee statue at Lee Circle.
  • $710,000 to Trident Response Group, a Dallas-based private security firm that provided “threat assessments,” public safety plans and analysis that included undercover work infiltrating groups on both sides of the issue as well as intelligence gathering through social media monitoring and other methods.
  • New Orleans police officers were paid almost $113,400 in overtime and $106,500 in regular time, in addition to other compensation such as time off, for a total of more than 10,515 hours of work on the removals.
  • Another $26,330 was spent on firefighters and Emergency Medical Services personnel, and almost $16,720 was spent to pay other city workers and for other costs, including providing meals to city employees during the daylong removal of the Lee statue.
  • The city also spent almost $64,500 building and providing security for a shed at the Alvar Street storage yard where some of the monuments are being kept.
  • The public costs of the removal will largely be absorbed by the budgets of the various city departments

This could have been funds, employees, and consultants to get the drainage system in decent shape before the peak of hurricane system. But instead the money and city resources were spent tearing down the city’s historic landscape.

Asked about prioritizing the monuments over basic city requirements, Landrieu said, “I think that’s a red herring.” A red herring is something intended to divert attention from the real problem at hand. So Mitch thinks the monuments are a distraction from the Sewerage & Water Board. Read that one more time. I think the monuments are a distraction from the Sewerage & Water Board. That is exactly what the public and other politicians have consistently argued: since Mitch started the monument controversy, he should be more focused on his actual mayoral duties.

While distracted with national conferences on foreign policy and his climate change initiatives, and interviews, and the monuments, citizens had to assume Landrieu would, at the very least, keep an eye on his always plagued utility: the S&WB and its ongoing failure to keep floodwaters out of taxpayers’ homes. Mitch’s response to criticism about his focus at the 2015 Council Meeting was, “Smart people can do more than one thing at a time.”

Landrieu finally, after 8 days, bit the bullet and decided that everyone else was right, he deserves blame for the city’s worst flooding since Katrina. This failure is all Mitch. “The buck ultimately stops with me. I own it, I accept it, and I am taking responsibility to fix it.”

Landrieu said live during his Sunday press conference that “103 of the city’s 120 drainage pumps were now available, with the remaining 17 being assessed for emergency repair.” If we are hearing from self-proclaimed “smart people,” pull out a calculator, punch in 121 then subtract 103. The number is 18. Landrieu said 17. The Sewerage & Water Board’s failure and ineptitude rages on, with Mayor Landrieu front and center making the basic mistakes the S&WB is known for.

It’s time for Mitch to go. No, this isn’t one of those unrealistic recall petitions, it’s a petition to abbreviate the Landrieu era in New Orleans. The current delayed inauguration style makes no sense. The Council and new mayor will be elected in October and November. Then they don’t go to work until June 1st. That’s bad government. It’s a recipe for more failure.

Signing the petition to fire Mitch makes the city government more efficient, and it also cuts the fat of the Landrieu administration. Because it’s not just ridding the city of Mitch Landrieu, it’s clearing house on his excessive and oversized city government. Landrieu restructured the city government after taking office as mayor and created all these Deputy Mayor positions knocking down $150,000 per year. Add to the list his massive communication team who insults New Orleanians regularly. Whether it’s Tyrone Walker calling the monument supporters violent exetremist “white supremacists” at every opportunity or Ryan Berni re-Tweeting “live in #nola, you’re gonna get wet. Don’t go act a fool. It flooded before twitter.” And Berni saying he was working to get information to support what turned out to be lies stated over the weekend, as opposed to him being a city employee looking out for the citizens first by pursuing the truth. New Orleanians are paying the salaries of people who do not have taxpayers’ best interests in mind. And they will be paying pensions. Call it failure in perpetuity.

New Orleans is stuck with the annual $175,400 pension for Cedric Grant. This may be an agreement on paper, it may make sense in city government, but the people of New Orleans should vehemently oppose this. Actually, the citizens should out right refuse to pay him $175,400 for the rest of his life. People need to take a stand.

Mitch says he is taking responsibility to fix the Sewerage & Water Board. Governor John Bel Edwards granted a state of emergency. Mitch now has free spending. Think about the Landrieu Concrete and Cement trucks getting work all around town: Bourbon Street, City Park, St. Charles Avenue. Citizens need to wake up as to whether they want to let Mitch have an open check book on something so vital to the future of New Orleans, something he has neglected until now.

It’s time to reject this failure and ditch Mitch. Make Puddles The Clown take a bow. Kick out Mitch and all his cronies as soon as possible. It’s up to the people of New Orleans to carry this out. If the Crescent City wants Mitch out of office, contact the Council and sign the petition.

Tokens
Thank you for that Scott L. I have a greater understanding of your point of view.

Thank you as well HG ..... I'd like to add that when I post an article I don't always agree with the writer. I read Google News and a few other sites a few times a week. When I come across opinion articles related to a thread here I post them for others whether I support the writer's POV or not.

Admittedly in this instance I did so because you asked me to support my own position.

BUT .... While I agree these monuments were not erected for a good purpose I do not agree with lawless, frothing at the mouth people going about in America's downtowns and universities tearing down any property, nor with the displays we've seen that go along with it.

Tokens
mitch-landrieu-new-orleans-2-800x400.jpg

[h=1]BATISTE: “Monuments Are Murder,” Says A Mayor Living A Lie[/h][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.55)]June 20th, 2017 Johann Batiste

As crime increases and plagues the City of New Orleans, Mayor Mitch Landrieu thinks “monuments are murder.” During a speech to the Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C., Mitch actually addressed criticism about crime by saying, “I respectfully ask if you’ve ever thought about the possibility that these monuments, in a way, are murder.” Monuments….are murder.

Think about those words, then remind yourself: Mitch took the monuments down, if monuments are murder, murder should have ended. Yet he’s blaming bronze sculptures, that were on the National Register of Historic Places, for the New Orleans murder rate. Is there a reporter with an ounce of integrity and drive working in Louisiana?

Unless he means the monuments are crows, Dictionary.com defines murder as “the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law.” Mitch struggles with history as he continues to trudge on that the monuments “were crafted to send a message.” Landrieu has said for two years they were erected to support white supremacy, although he has never, not once, not ever produced a single thing to support this claim. He just lies and lies and redirects things to something they are not.

Ironically, the satirical news group Neutral Ground News posted a piece last week in which they joked about Mitch redefining murder. By decriminalizing crimes, Mitch would lower the crime rate. This is supposed to be satire, yet sadly, Landrieu appears to be taking that tact.

For two years Landrieu has led a crusade against historic artwork, crime terrorized the city through the duration of his political conquest. Since the removal of the monuments, crime has not decreased. The man has spent two years trying to ride a controversial issue to national prominence while going soft on crime. He bet the house on red and got a winning murder rate.

District Attorney Leon Cannizzarro penned a scathing op ed after Landrieu recently blamed violence on a lack of witness cooperation by saying, “We cannot do our job if people won’t come forward.”

Mitch blames witnesses for crime, he blames monuments that are in a wooden shed for crime, and he moved a press briefing away from a crime scene out of fear for his own safety.

Victims of crimes and actual murder victims’ families may be confused hearing the Mayor of New Orleans say “monuments are murder.” New Orleans has plenty of murders each week, no one needs to make up claims about statues too.

Almost laughably, Mayor Landrieu, the man who never acknowledges his African American ancestry, also said, “Race lies at the root of so many problems, but we never really truly reckon with it until there’s a flare-up.”

Maybe one day Mitch may actually reckon with it and admit that he is racially mixed, instead, he’s likely to keep promoting the Landrieu white supremacy. The Landrieu family changed their race from black on the 1900 census to white on the 1910 census. Their actions show they think being white is better than being black, the very definition of white supremacy.

Meanwhile, Mitch needs to clear up whether the monuments are murder, or are they murderers. Mitch’s comments continue to make people scratch their heads in confusion as to whether the source is a satirical news article, or actual quotes from a man who is unofficially running for Presiden

[/COLOR]

Tokens
This is how unhinged these people are.
Note: this isn't about "racism" or "slavery" it is about being anti-white

DHg_0KAUIAAFRna.jpg

These people are idiots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boynerclinic
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com