UFC on Fox 19 - Saturday 4/16 - Info / Predictions / Odds / Chatter

Search

When you're broke, you Break
Tokens
UFC on Fox 19: Bleacher Report Main Card Staff Predictions

Cub Swanson vs. Hacran Dias

Steven Rondina
It hurts me to say this, but Cub Swanson seems to be on his way out the door. The 2013 version of Swanson probably wins this easily. The 2016 version probably loses this by decision.
Hacran Dias, unanimous decision

Nathan McCarter

Dias is a dangerous opponent, but Swanson should take this. The big thing with any Swanson fight is if he fights a smart fight, or if he goes a bit overboard. Going overboard against someone like Dias will get you caught. Knowing he needs a win, Swanson just does enough to get by without getting caught in a bad spot.
Swanson, unanimous decision

Craig Amos
After back-to-back losses, Swanson is in dire need of a win. He enters Saturday's contest as the favorite, but Dias is a live underdog. I'm going to borrow Harris' upset alarm and pull the lever, or ring the bell or whatever he does to sound the damn thing. Dias ekes out a close decision, piling up points with takedowns.
Dias, unanimous decision

Sydnie Jones

Swanson has been out for nearly a year and is on a two-fight losing streak. But his losses were to Max Holloway and Frankie Edgar—two very talented fighters who can hang with the best of the best. Dias has also lost to strong competitors, but unlike Swanson, his wins in the UFC have been decisions over mid-level fighters. It's possible Swanson will hang it up soon, but he's talented enough that beating Dias is still well within the realm of possibility.
Swanson, submission, Round 2

Scott Harris
Call this the main card of long layoffs. This is only the fourth fight in the past two years for both of these competitors. With ring rust canceling itself out, I think experience and punching power wins the day. I hereby decline to authorize the use of my upset alarms.
Swanson, unanimous decision

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Darrell Horcher

Rondina
Darrell Horcher has been good on the indie circuit, but unless Khabib Nurmagomedov has been absolutely destroyed by his recent injuries, he should have this easily.
Nurmagomedov, unanimous decision

McCarter

Credit to Horcher for even taking this fight. He’s going to get destroyed, but seeing as the ink still isn’t dry on his contract he’ll get a second fight. Nurmagomedov gets a stoppage.
Nurmagomedov, TKO, Round 2

Amos
Horcher was probably ecstatic to get a call from the UFC. That's a big deal. When told he'd be a late replacement, it might have dampened the occasion a mite, but I'm sure his excitement remained palpable. Then the UFC told him he'd be fighting Nurmagomedov, and the realization that he is going to be taken down a few hundred times must have set in. Assuming The Eagle hasn't been completed debilitated by injuries, he'll hold serve.
Nurmagomedov, submission, Round 1

Jones

With Nurmy out for two years, choosing him still feels like considerably less of a risk than picking the more recently active but debuting Horcher. The Eagle has probably spent much of the past couple years sharpening his talons to immediately plunge into his opponent's heart—the kind of heart commentators always say the losing fighter has in spades.
Nurmy, KO, Round 1

Harris
In a fight with major implications for the 160-pound catchweight division, Nurmagomedov is going to be hard to beat. Here's hoping the UFC does the right thing and gives Horcher a more reasonable shot as a consolation prize for stepping in and allowing Nurmagomedov to truck him.
Nurmagomedov, submission, Round 1

Rose Namajunas vs. Tecia Torres

Rondina
Rose Namajunas is most likely the better fighter at this point, but Tecia Torres' clinch game will keep things very, very close. I'll lean toward Namajunas on this one, but don't be surprised if Torres takes a controversial split decision here.
Namajunas, split decision

McCarter

Their first fight was close, but I don’t expect this one to be. Torres has stagnated since that date, but Namajunas has transformed into a legitimate contender who is realizing her elite potential. Will she get a stoppage? It’s possible, but Torres is still a tough competitor. It’ll go to the lopsided scorecards.
Namajunas, unanimous decision

Amos
Namajunas already owns a loss to Torres, so the outcome of Saturday's bout will show just how far she's come since 2013. She looked excellent on The Ultimate Fighter, and even better since. My guess is she vaults herself into the title picture by avenging that early-career defeat.
Namajunas, unanimous decision

Jones

Torres was such a promising prospect when she signed on to The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned. She lost exhibitions decisions to Randa Markos and eventual champ Carla Esparza, beating only Bec Rawlings while in the competition. Since then, she's maintained her technically unbeaten record, with decision wins over Angela Magana and Angela Hill. If she couldn't stop Magana, who's just not good, or Hill, who was (and is) relatively new to MMA at the time, I don't see her being able to stop Namajunas. And after the beating Namajunas put on Paige VanZant—who can clearly take a punch or 500—I'm skeptical Namajunas will want this to go to a decision.
Namajunas, submission, Round 3

Harris
Torres is just not a stopper. That's not who she is. Namajunas is a very good and improving fighter, and she'll have the striking edge (not to mention a size advantage) over Torres. But Torres is a fire hydrant of a strawweight, and sooner or later she'll get inside on Namajunas and smother that dynamism with her clinch and top control. So what you want to do right now is, you want to sound the alarms. Torres spoils the party and grinds out a scorecard win.
Torres, split decision

Glover Teixeira vs. Rashad Evans

Rondina
Evans is among the most underappreciated fighters in MMA history but, alas, his best days are long gone. It's not crazy to think that Teixeira could be out-wrestled in two out of three rounds, but in all likelihood, Tex is going to take this one on points.
Teixeira, unanimous decision

McCarter

Evans-Teixeira reminds so much of Evans-Rampage, and we know how that went. Teixeira has big power, but Evans is a hard target to hit clean. The speed and level changes are what will push Evans back into the win column. It won’t be overly exciting and it will go the distance.
Evans, unanimous decision

Amos
Both Evans and Teixeira are looking to work their way back from abortive title runs, so a win is imperative for both guys. I'm siding with Teixeira, who has inspired more confidence than Evans of late.
Teixeira, TKO, Round 3

Jones

The way Evans' career has been going the last several fights, I feel like he's trying to rage against the dying of the light. Unfortunately for Evans, Teixeira is going to dim that light even more. Evans is on his way out, and Teixeira is only going to hasten that process, perhaps relegating Evans to the newsdesk for good.
Teixeira, KO, Round 4

Harris
This is only Evans' third fight in the past three years. While Evans has nursed injuries, Teixeira has stayed busy, and he's currently on a two-fight win streak. Evans is more fun to watch if he's on his game, but that's a big "if" at this stage of his career, and he'll probably be an underdog in big fights like this unless he proves something else should be the case. Teixeira's bruising meat-and-potatoes games win the day.
Teixeira, unanimous decision

Tokens
Horcher missed the catchweight, so he has an hour to drop 1lb to get to 161.

He was in the 180s when he got the call to fight Khabib.

He looked pretty rough and lethargic as it was, though.

Tokens
Complete UFC on FOX 19 weigh in results below:

UFC on FOX 19 Main Event
:

205 lbs.: Glover Teixeira (205) vs. Rashad Evans (205)

UFC on FOX 19 Main Card
:

115 lbs.: Rose Namajunas (115.5) vs. Tecia Torres (116)
160 lbs.: Khabib Nurmagomedov (160.5) vs. Darrell Horcher (162)*
145 lbs.: Cub Swanson (145) vs. Hacran Dias (145.5)

UFC on FOX 19 "Prelims" on FOX
:

155 lbs.: Michael Chiesa (156) vs. Beneil Dariush (156)
135 lbs.: Bethe Correia (136) vs. Raquel Pennington (135.5)
170 lbs.: Court McGee (170.5) vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio (171)
155 lbs.: Drew Dober (156) vs. Islam Makhachev (156.5)*

UFC on FOX 19 "Prelims" on UFC Fight Pass
:

135 lbs.: John Dodson (135) vs. Manny Gamburyan (136)
170 lbs.: Randy Brown (171) vs. Michael Graves (170.5)
185 lbs.: Cezar Ferreira (185.5) vs. Oluwale Bamgbose (183.5)
170 lbs.: Omari Akhmedov (171) vs. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (170.5)

*Has one hour to lose the additional weight

Tokens
Horcher missed the catchweight, so he has an hour to drop 1lb to get to 161.

He was in the 180s when he got the call to fight Khabib.

He looked pretty rough and lethargic as it was, though.

Darrell Horcher re-weighing right now ...

he's 161 and OFFICIAL for the fight with Nurmagomedov.

Tokens
UFC on FOX 19: Bloody Elbow Staff picks and predictions

Rashad Evans vs. Glover Teixeira

Mookie Alexander
: The only thing preventing me from picking Teixeira by stoppage is the fact that Rashad is really really hard to finish. It seems as it Glover went from underrated, to overrated, and underrated again. You could chalk up Evans' loss to Bader to cage rust, but if we're being honest, his one really good performance since losing to Jones is the Chael Sonnen win. That's 1 good performance out of his last 4. I think Teixeira's boxing will piece up Rashad and he'll fend off Evans' takedowns attempts well enough to win on points. Glover Teixeira by unanimous decision.

Victor Rodriguez: Look, I'm not saying Rashad is washed, but it's clear his best days are behind him. His performance against Ryan Bader was not good. His counter game wasn't working at all and he was gunshy when he had the opportunity to initiate offense. Glover Teixeira's in an even stranger spot, though. Coming off two straight wins, he's really demonstrated more of a great boxing game with takedown defense and some slick submissions but nothing too crazy. Rashad became very reliant on his striking years ago and we may end up with a protracted boxing match here. That being the case, it would likely favor Teixeira. Rashad's gonna have to do something really special with his wrestling by chaining takedown attempts and being in better shape than he was last time - both physically and mentally. Until then, safe pick is Glover. Glover Teixeira by decision.

Zane Simon: Rashad is faster and more mobile, but he's either going to have to go inside and test himself trading hooks with Glover, or he's going to have to try and pick up a point decision by sitting on the outside and jumping in for the occasional single shot or takedown. I don't think either of those are going to clearly maneuver him for an easy win, especially since Glover is very good at countering that kind of offense. Glover Teixeira via TKO, Round 4.

Staff picking Evans: Tim Bis, Tim, Artem
Staff picking Teixeira: Victor, Nick, Mookie, Stephie, Phil, Zane, Fraser

Rose Namajunas vs. Tecia Torres

Mookie Alexander
: I don't want to overrate Namajunas based on wins over Hill (still needs more fights before returning to the UFC) and PVZ (not a contender yet), but it's hard to ignore how dominant she's been since the Esparza fight. Torres is a very good striker and her wrestling gave Hill all sorts of problems, but when it comes down to the fighter more likely to pose a finishing threat, it's clearly Rose. Even if Torres opts to go to the ground with her I don't think she can keep up the pace and hang with Namajunas without getting herself in deep trouble. Fun fight, and ultimately I think Namajunas has made enough improvements that she'll even the score with Tecia. Rose Namajunas by unanimous decision.

Victor: Both of these women have gotten so much better since their Invicta days, and have capitalized greatly on working with elite teams. Torres is at a size and reach disadvantage, but it doesn't really stop her when it comes to striking. Her most impressive performance to me is still the fight against Felice Herrig in Invicta, where she used her speed and angles to fluster Herrig and negate her kickboxing game with an array of leg attacks. On the other hand, Namajunas has a tendency to come forward and not use as much lateral movement in some fights, and her offensive wrestling isn't as dynamic as Torres'. Rose is still probably the craftiest grappler in the strawweight division right now. Her setups are just that damn clever, and her pressure on the ground is relentless whether she's striking or attempting submissions. That and the fact that she has shown some great accuracy with her striking. Love Torres and her style, but Rose just looks unstoppable right now. Rose Namajunas by submission, R3

Zane Simon: It feels foolish to pick a fighter to win a fight they lost once before and not that long ago, but for young fighters it's all about growth, and I've seen more of it out of Namajunas than Torres. Torres will have to stay ahead for 15 minutes to get a win on points, and I think Namajunas is just too fast and has tightened her game up too much to let that happen on range kickboxing alone. Rose Namajunas via decision.

Staff picking Namajunas: Victor, Nick, Mookie, Stephie, Phil, Zane, Fraser
Staff picking Torres: Tim Bis, Tim, Artem

Darrell Horcher vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov

Mookie Alexander
: Much respect to Darrell Horcher for getting into the UFC this way. It's not often that regional guys end up facing top 5 talents on a week's notice. All of that said, short of Khabib moving like he's aged 30 years since the RDA win, this is a rout. Khabib Nurmagomedov by submission, round 2.

Victor: The more you think about this fight, the weirder it is. Let's get this part out of the way. Yes, it is possible for Horcher to win. Possible, but not likely. Very not likely. Horcher is deceptively strong and hits dudes really, really hard, but good luck landing that shot on Khabib. I don't see him having the timing or opening to connect with a monster left hand. Nurmagomedov's game is too complete with his takedowns leading to strikes and strikes leading to takedowns. Well, that and the fact that he also hits really hard. I hope Horcher looks good out there, but I don't see him winning. Khabib Nurmagomedov by TKO.

Phil Mackenzie: Confession: I don't really get the whole Khabib thing, quite. He's an amazing athlete, a phenomenal grappler. His counter instincts are brilliant, and his ability to select an array of defensive options if anyone's stupid enough to try to wrestle him is great too. He's got an analytical mind for the sport, as well as cardio and pace. He's fast as shit and surprisingly difficult to hit. But... he's also a grappler who's only fought against aggressive fighters in the UFC. Literally, he has not fought a single person who ever steps backwards or sideways. It's like if someone said: "There's a Zangief player who's going to dominate Street Fighter II" and you ask how many Sagats he fought, and he hasn't fought any, just an array of Balrog players (including the best Balrog player in the world). Khabib is obviously the clear pick- Horcher hits very hard, but really commits to that left hand, and doesn't move his head much which I don't think plays well with Khabib's ability to close distance by leaping in with silly strikes or takedowns. Khabib Nurmagomedov by submission, round 2.

Artem Safarov: Well, I'm aware that this is nonsensical, but I pick Horcher. Why? This guy is going to jump under the "train" in his UFC debut, and everyone else roots for Khabib. Therefore I hope I could show some support to Horcher. It's sad when nobody roots for you. Well, and who knows in the end? This is MMA, anything can happen! Darrell Horcher via upset KO.

Zane Simon: Horcher is a quality fighter with some real potential to be a good action lightweight, but this is an abominable style matchup for him. A power wrestler with real craft and layers to his game, against a brawler who does his best work when he can square up and stand flat footed in front of his opponent. Khabib Nurmagomedov via decision.

Staff picking Horcher: Artem
Staff picking Nurmagomedov: Tim Bis, Victor, Nick, Mookie, Stephie, Tim, Phil, Zane, Fraser

Hacran Dias vs. Cub Swanson

Mookie Alexander
: Hacran Dias is a guy who feels like he should be exciting to watch but never actually is. He's functional, consistent, and nowhere near the level of the elite at featherweight. I am a little concerned that Swanson's last two performances are a product of not just losing to Edgar and Holloway, but a decline in his physical abilities. If Swanson struggles with Dias' strength then that's a problem. Otherwise, I expect Swanson to outstrike Dias comfortably and win a clear decision. Cub Swanson by unanimous decision.

Victor: Hacran Dias is a good fighter that loses to a certain level of opponent. His UFC losses are to Ricardo Lamas and Nik Lentz, and Cub Swanson is on that level. Swanson's striking and submission game is too good, and it doesn't seem there's anything Dias can throw at him that Swanson hasn't already seen and can't deal with. Swanson by decision.

Phil Mackenzie: No-one? Fine (edit: yay Tim). Cub Swanson has had two straight losses which ended in particularly soul-crushing and vicious ways. He publicly said he wasn't sure whether he was going to retire and has been steadily picking up more and more coaching responsibilities since. Dias is very hard to pin down because he fights so infrequently and because his UFC fights have been against various versions of Nik Lentz (with him going 2-1) and a loss to Ricardo Lamas (which I thought he won fairly clearly). Even in his big run, Cub did lose a top control round to Dennis Siver, and I don't really trust him to be able to beat someone as brutally consistent as Dias that he can't physically outclass. Hacran Diaz by unanimous decision.

Artem: It's hard to admit, that someone as cool as Cub Swanson lost two of his previous fights. Even three if we add here his loss in the 1st episode of the "Kingdom" TV-show. I hope that Cub isn't done yet and he will show us some spectacular knockout finish. Cub Swanson via KO/TKO.

Zane Simon: The thing with Hacran Dias is that he's a great athlete who is kind technically "meh" everywhere. He's not bad at anything, but a Hacran Dias highlight real would involve a lot of low kicks and cage control. He stands too flat footed and is willing to wait too long on opponents at striking range, and that should give Swanson the time and space to work his striking game and find his groove. Cub Swanson via decision.

Staff picking Dias: Phil, Tim
Staff picking Swanson: Tim Bis, Victor, Nick, Mookie, Stephie, Artem, Zane, Fraser

Michael Chiesa vs. Beneil Dariush

Victor
: If you like grappling, you should be very hyped for this. Chiesa's dogged submission wrestling is a lot better than people seem to give him credit for, even if his striking probably isn't where it could be by comparison. Dariush has an aggressive style on the ground as well, but doesn't break guys down with strikes before attempting submissions the same way Chiesa does. If we get a grappling match out of this, great. If not, Dariush overwhelms Chiesa with his striking and probably puts him away with something brutal. He trains with Cordeiro, so he doesn't fight stupid. He knows where his advantage is and should be able to have an antidote for Chiesa's grappling to keep things where he wants them. Beneil Dariush by decision.

Phil Mackenzie: Dariush is the better striker and the better grappler. So why do I have a bad feeling about this pick? Perhaps it's because the Kings style is made to pressure and push back, and almost functions on the base premise that the Kings fighter is more physical and more durable than his opponent. For example, RDA's improvements have somewhat masked the way that he consistently struggled with powerful clinch grapplers and wrestlers throughout his career- what happens when you try to cut someone off or back them up and they happily walk right into you? In this case, if Dariush is RDA Jr., then the big, clunky, powerful, aggressive, awkward, clinchy, grapply analogue for Chiesa is Evan Dunham. RDA beat him... but he sure didn't deserve to. Also notable is the way Dariush got dunked on by notoriously aggressive grapple-flailer Ramsey Nijem. Hmmmmmm. Fight should be phenomenal regardless. Beneil Dariush by split decision

Zane Simon: Connor Ruebusch said it best when he said that Ramsey Nijem sits in the middle of Dariush's record like a fart in an elevator. Dariush should absolutely beat Chiesa. Chiesa is not a good striker, even a little bit. And while he is a good wrestler and grappler, so is Dariush. But Dariush has been shocked for an upset before and Chiesa has created upset victories before. I'm not picking Chiesa, but I won't be surprised if he somehow pulls out this win. Beneil Dariush via decision.

Staff picking Chiesa: Stephie, Artem
Staff picking Dariush: Tim Bis, Victor, Nick, Mookie, Phil, Tim, Zane, Fraser

Bethe Correia vs. Raquel Pennington

Victor
: First off, I need to defend Correia a bit here. She got knocked out by Rousey in a fight where she was undersized and clearly not as conditioned as she should be (never mind that she had only been training MMA for less time than Ronda had been actually fighting, but whatever). She got ahead early in the UFC with volume striking and pressure that looks great for the judges, but not much else. Hopefully she took the PPV money from that to good use, because she relocated to AKA and should be able to make decent changes there. They've got world-class wrestlers and a great striking regimen that should be able to clean up a lot of her deficiencies. Problem is she's facing Rocky Pennington, a woman for whom the case could be made to have actually beaten former champion Holly Holm. Raquel's striking isn't pretty, but she hits hard and has shown she can get some decent timing on her shots. That and the fact that while her takedowns aren't spectacular, her top pressure and ability to stay there and ruin her opponents is highly underrated. Hope to see new wrinkles from Bethe, but bet the kids' college fund on Raquel. Raquel Pennington by TKO.

Phil Mackenzie: Basically what Vic said. I like Bethe's scrappy lunacy, but Pennington is really quite good. How good she is is somewhat obscured by her average record, but she has a genuinely high-percentage and quality skillset. This kind of thing is fairly common at LW and WW, and the elite fighters there are largely distinguished by the differentiators they can lay on top of broad technical bases... but this is not LW or WW. Good offensive and counter boxing, good physicality, efficient submission and wrestling game, and the ability to make in-cage adjustments. This kind of depth is only really shared by Tate, who is notably smaller and older. Raquel Pennington by unanimous decision.

Zane Simon: I was actually going to pick Bethe, almost... And then I thought about it a little more. Bethe can't really avoid pressure fighting. She loves to throw a clipping strike and then bully people into the cage where she can grind and chip away. But, Pennington is best when she's getting bullied. She knows how to dig down and answer back with more power and ferocity than she's getting in return. It didn't serve her well against Holm who was mostly elusive, but she made it work excellently against Andrade the second time around, and against Ashlee Evans-Smith. I see a similar scenario here. Raquel Pennington via TKO.

Staff picking Correia: Tim, Artem, Fraser
Staff picking Pennington: Tim Bis, Victor, Nick, Mookie, Stephie, Phil, Zane

Court McGee vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio

Mookie Alexander
: This is a fight that pits volume and durability against superior athleticism and big power. McGee's a great story and a good, incredibly tough fighter, but I think Ponzinibbio will be able to hurt McGee enough times to win rounds and win a decision. Santiago Ponzinibbio by unanimous decision.

Victor: If you don't like Court McGee as a person, you probably don't know enough about him. He's not only shown a great personality in interviews (shout out to Three Amigos!), but the fact that he's a smarter fighter than people may think. He's a wrestleboxer first and foremost, just not a very conventional one. Another guy that hits hard despite fighting ugly, he had a rough stretch due to injuries before coming back and beating Lesser Lyoto in December. But fighting Ponzinibbio is a tall order these days. I never expected much from him from the TUF Brazil days, but he's been with American Top Team for a while and has looked amazing in two of his three UFC wins, showing a lot of growth and maturity as a fighter in his last fight. His speed and athleticism along with more polished boxing should get him the win here. Santiago Ponzinibbio by TKO.

Phil Mackenzie: The Ponz is the better athlete and the harder hitter, but I'm not sure that his style of rough-hewn power Muay Thai plays all that well with McGee's approach. The Ponz needs space to swing, and space to kick with punches and punch with kicks, and at his best McGee is a blizzard of mid-to-close-range strikes and exhausting failed takedown attempts. In the end, I think Ponzinibbio's power can get him the key round-winning moments if not a stoppage, but I it'll be competitive and should be a lot of fun. Santiago Ponzinibbio by unanimous decision.

Zane Simon: This is likely to be a razor close, ugly fight win or lose for either man. McGee is the kind of fighter who can win rounds without really creating any effective offense, just lots of pressure and volume. On the flip side, Ponzinibbio is the kind of fighter who tends to be very effective up to a certain level of athlete. If you can't keep up with him, he'll bomb you with huge shots in combination, and he's a pretty decent wrestler and grappler to boot. Not amazing, but decent enough to survive. Normally, I'd pick volume and pressure to win this kind of fight, but I'm just not sure McGee is quick enough to keep from getting hit hard. The rounds might be ugly and close, but I think Ponz will take the early ones on damage. Santiago Ponzinibbio vis decision.

Staff picking McGee: Tim, Artem, Fraser
Staff picking Ponzinibbio: Tim Bis, Victor, Nick, Mookie, Stephie, Phil, Zane

John Dodson vs. Manny Gamburyan

Mookie Alexander
: Dodson is really good at doing literally nothing for extended periods of time, but he's also really good when he attacks and hurts you with his fists. Gamburyan is going to get starched. John Dodson by TKO, round 1.

Victor: I've had a lot of love and respect for the Hayastan guys for years, but this doesn't look good for Manny. Dodson is fast, clever, has great movement and wrestling, and puts guys down hard. Manny's judo base won't be enough here. Dodson's cutting less now that he's back at 135, and his striking game is more complete and has more pop to it. Dodson by TKO.

Phil Mackenzie: Manny has skated by in the modern era on a combination of tenacity, fouls, luck and fighting opponents who are, for various reasons, bottom-rung UFC talent. That ends here, with the caveats as always being how athletically reliant Dodson is, and how disinterested he can be at times. In terms of offensive capabilities, this is a cannon versus a handgun, and these two operate at entirely different speeds. You can never entirely count out Manny's dirty grittiness or just how bad Dodson will inevitably look when he finally falls off physically. John Dodson by TKO, round 2.

Artem: I pick Manny. Don't ask why.

Zane Simon: This probably isn't very competitive. Hopefully it's short too. John Dodson via TKO, Round 1.

Staff picking Dodson: Tim Bis, Victor, Nick, Mookie, Stephie, Phil, Tim, Fraser, Zane
Staff picking Gamburyan: Artem

Tokens
Randy Brown vs. Michael Graves

Phil Mackenzie: I was impressed by Randy Brown in his debut. Precision strikers often have trouble establishing distance in their first ufc fight, and Brown clearly did against Dwyer... but he figured out his range in real time. That's a rare ability, and I think Brown has already showed more "future top-level talent" markers than, say, Northcutt. That said, Graves is a potential nightmare as a hyper-aggressive grappler. In particular, Brown went for some funky trips on Dwyer which I think would be disastrous here. He needs to sit behind his jab and work the reach advantage. It's a tall order, but I think he can do it. Both fighters have a strong future regardless. Randy Brown by unanimous decision

Zane Simon: This is an extremely well booked fight and honestly much harder to pick than our unanimous panel. Michael Graves is your typical decent MMA prospect. He's tough, aggressive, has a nicely integrated game based around wrestling, and always knows what he wants to do in a fight. If he can take the first round off Brown, there's a good chance he could just set a tone whereby he wins a hard fought decision. The reason I'm not picking him, is that Brown is actually reasonably difficult to take down, doesn't have a bad gas tank, and has really powerful clinch offense. I think Brown can make Graves work hard enough everywhere and find enough offense early to squeak out round 1, and then progressively take over as the fight goes on. Randy Brown via UD.

Staff picking Brown: Tim Bis, Nick, Mookie, Stephie, Phil, Tim, Artem, Fraser, Zane
Staff picking Graves:

Drew Dober vs. Islam Makhachev

Phil Mackenzie
: Makhachev got one of the most stratospheric UFC debutant-to-sophomore jumps I've ever seen, where he went from Kuntz to Adriano Martins. That said, he's still a top-level athlete and a great technical grappler. Dober is a prototype of what I think of as the Team Elevation style: decent kickboxing, great cardio, underrated offensive grappling and some really concerning flaws in defensive grappling (sometimes these last two coalesce into a perfect storm, as in Tony Sims-Abel Trujillo). Most pointedly, Dober et al often surprisingly outwrestle opponents, but they never actually shut grapplers down. If Dober wins this, it's going to be pace and scrambles and that's a hard fight to see him winning 2 out of 3 without getting stuck underneath or submitted. Islam Makhachev by submission, round 2.

Zane Simon: Drew Dober needs absolute control to win fights. He's a volume kickboxer who is slowly becoming a better wrestler and grappler. But if he can't win the technical battles in most areas, he's not winning the power battle. Makhachev hits hard from odd unpredictable angles and is just a way better wrestler and grappler. He should be able to keep Dober guessing at range and then punish him in the clinch and on the ground. Islam Makhachev via decision.

Staff picking Dober: Artem
Staff picking Makhachev: Tim Bis, Nick, Mookie, Stephie, Phil, Tim, Fraser, Zane

Oluwale Bamgbose vs. Cezar Ferreira

Mookie Alexander
: I guess Mutante can grind this out and/or submit the very raw Bamgbose, but who am I to trust Mutante to actually do that? Far more likely he willingly strikes with someone who can turn off his lights, then gets KO'd again. Oluwale Bamgbose via KO, round 1.

Victor: I can't confidently pick Ferreira, especially not coming off two terrible knockout losses at the hands of Jorge Masvidal and Sam Alvey. Masvidal brings pressure, while Alvey put him down with one solid shot. Bamgbose is a one-shot guy, and I'd argue he hits just as hard if not harder than Alvey. Mutante's UFC run ends here. Oluwale Bamgbose by KO.

Phil Mackenzie: I mean... I guess? Bang Bus is fast and hits hard. Mutante's chin is straight up dreadful. The fact remains that Bamgbose is one of those guys who simply hasn't shown any ancillary skills aside from athleticism and decent offensive power striking. Mutante is an acceptable grinder at times, and can kick really hard. The balance of probability is still that he goes down in a heap in an early exchange, but Bamgbose is likely still a very flawed fighter. Oluwale Bamgbose by KO, round 1

Zane Simon: I'm going with my gut and saying Bamgbose via KO round 1, but his longest fight is 3 minutes and he looked tired by then. If Ferreira comes out crafty and puts some grind on Bamgbose early, then there is zero guarantee Bamgbose will have anything to offer by the start of round 2. Bamgbose by KO round 1 or Ferreira via submission/decision are your probable outcomes. I'll take KO round 1, but not confidently. Oluwale Bamgbose via KO round 1.

Staff picking Bamgbose: Tim Bis, Victor, Nick, Phil, Mookie, Stephie, Zane
Staff picking Ferreira: Tim, Artem, Fraser

Omari Akhmedov vs. Elizeu Zaleski

Phil Mackenzie
: Akhmedov can hit hard, kick hard, and hit decent takedowns. His inability to throw anything which isn't hard is what really hurts him. Zaleski's problems are more nebulous, and are more around the way he lets his opponent set up and then tries to counter them with low-percentage strikes on the way in. He's decent at it, but he also eats leg kicks and takedown attempts for his troubles, which coincidentally happen to be the things Akhmedov is best at. Zaleski is more of a KO threat, but I think Akhmedov has the more reliable toolset. Omari Akhmedov by unanimous decision.

Zane Simon: I'm a little surprised that this is a wash here. Akhmedov is kind of a one-speed attacker and that one speed is predictable enough that Sergio Moraes got a straight KO off him. And while he has been able to do some wrestling at times, his actual top control and grappling are really suspect, so I doubt he'd just hold Zaleski down. At that point, Zaleski has a good probability of landing something big and dynamic to hurt Akhmedov somewhere in the fight. Of course, once Zaleski starts to brawl, he becomes defensively lax, so he could get KO'd in return too, but I'll take Elizeu Zaleski via KO, round 2.

Staff picking Akhmedov: Tim Bis, Nick, Mookie, Stephie, Tim, Phil, Artem, Fraser
Staff picking Zaleski: Zane

Tokens
LOL

IGNORE ALL THE Makhachev vs. Dober plays ... fight is off

Makhachev was flagged for a banned substance

Tokens
Saturdays fight card will now begin at 4:30 p.m. ET/1:30 p.m. PT with the UFC Fight Pass prelims

Tokens
Randy Brown vs. Michael Graves has been elevated to televised prelims following Drew Dober vs. Islam Makhachev being scratched

Tokens
from The Greek Sportsbook ...

UFC Sharp Action

Pennington
Graves
Souza
Ponzinibbio
Dodson
Bamgbose
Nurmagomedov

Tokens
CgLxOtUUMAAZEho.jpg

Tokens
Cezar Ferreira def. Oluwale Bamgbose via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)

Tokens
Dodson knocks Manny Gamburyan out in 36 seconds.

So fast ... so powerful.

Speed Kills

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casatundraokw
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com