Tebow will play in the NFL. For a long time.

Search

Tokens
http://www.csnne.com/pages/v1_landi...bow----can-they-=1&blockID=207750&feedID=3946

Pats can't really want Tebow . . . can they?
1.gif

<!- START SINGLE BAR --><EMBED src=http://player.theplatform.com/ps/player/pds/s0xoi4jFlF&pid=RLDeSbZsRpcufBAHRIqiXSzJmlNsOZV0 width=600 height=355 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" bgcolor="#000000">

<!- END SINGLE BAR -->March 31, 2010

By Tom E. Curran
CSNNE.com

All right, let's cut the prosciutto here.

Why in Tebow's name are the Patriots sniffing so vigorously around the hindquarters of the project/lightning rod/icon that played quarterback for the University of Florida for the past four years?

Bill Belichick, Nick Caserio and Tim Tebow sharing dinner at Tresca in the North End? What, the Red Wing on Route 1 wasn't taking reservations?

Why is Belichick, who's done more for the identity-shielding hooded sweatshirt than the Unibomber, wearing a University of Florida visor at the owner's meetings and then publicly breaking bread with the most recognizable college football player in recent memory 30 days before the draft?

Is he being so conspicuous in an effort to pump up Tebow's draft value, thereby enticing a rival to stay ahead of the Pats? Is he doing his friend, Florida coach Urban Meyer, a solid since Meyer's been getting heat for not fine-tuning Tebow for the pro game? Is he genuinely interested in taking Tebow in the (dear Tebow, say it can't be) first round?!

The only five-letter name beginning with a T that's bigger than Tebow right now is Tiger. And the two men – very different men, it seems – will be firestarter topics until the end of April.

Tebow is a wellspring of conversation. You can toggle back and forth between draft projections, abortion, the spread offense, race, quick releases, the place of religion in sports, the Wildcat offense and the sliminess of big-time college athletics.

The kid is a walking photo-op. When Tim Tebow gets drafted and by whom are the questions that dwarf all others in this year's draft.

And the close-to-the-vest Patriots – who often eyeroll about the creeping paparazzi nature of the Boston media – are chowing down in the city with a kid ESPN built a cottage industry around? In the age of Twitter and cell-phone cameras? And lest anyone not recognize Tebow, he's seen flipping a football around on the sidewalk after dinner?

None of it aligns with the Patriots normal M.O. Tebow is a celebrity quarterback. And that gets in the way of a lot of things.

For instance, one of the biggest hurdles to a discussion of "Tim Tebow, football player" is wading through the sidebars that distract from the football conversation. One of the more difficult aspects to processing information about him is determining what prejudices (football or othwerwise) inform the opinions you're listening to.

Tebow isn't blameless in this. He's as much responsible for muddying the football waters with his overt religiosity and willingness to allow himself to be the prop in non-football discussions as the people who've canonized him. I mean, how do we know the kid's a virgin? He talks about it. And just as it's his right to talk about it, it's the right of observers to wonder what the motivations for doing so are. Is he a football player? A spokesman? A vessel of the Lord? A well-crafted public relations creation? All of the above?

Regardless, Tebow's stock is rising. Rising despite having his potential sullied by a wide range of detractors ranging from Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne, Bengals receiver Andre Caldwell, Gators receiver Deonte Thompson (kinda) to Joe Theismann and assorted draft gurus. Rising despite a horrific week at the Senior Bowl and the mechanical overhaul his delivery is undergoing.

Surely there are many who think well of Tebow . . . Belichick being one. But no one is predicting an easy transition to the NFL for him. The faith in Tebow, it seems, is rooted in intangibles a winner's attitude and a desire to overcome.

Tangibly? He's not nearly as impressive. At the owner's meetings in Orlando, a league source man who coached multiple Hall of Fame quarterbacks and won Super Bowls told me Tebow's arm motion is the least of the young man's worries.

Tebow's "base" is a mess, he said. Tebow doesn't set his feet. He doesn't consistently drive off his back foot. He doesn't stay behind the ball and rotate through it properly. As a result of all that, his accuracy isn't nearly what it needs to be, 70 percent completion rate at Florida be damned (side note: David Carr completed 68.2 percent of his passes for the 6-10 Texans in 2006).

Meanwhile, the running aspect of Tebow's game isn't a sidelight. He ran as often or more than he passed five times in 2009. He carried the ball 13 or more times in 11 of 14 games. He is conditioned to play the position in an unusual way that won't fly in the NFL.

Which brings us to the conversation about Tebow switching positions in the NFL. Now understand this, Tebow's father has information his son will go in the first 15 picks. Falcons GM Tom Dimitroff told me Tebow won't make it out of the first round.

Do you use a first-round pick on someone about to learn a new position? Or the second round, for that matter?

If you want a tight end, though, there's a ton of good ones in this draft. Why take Tebow? Same goes for a short-yardage back, a linebacker, a special teams ace.

Wildcat quarterback? Last summer, when Michael Vick was rumored to be in New England, owner Robert Kraft peed on that notion, saying who in their right mind would take Tom Brady off the field to give Michael Vick reps. How would Tebow be different or better than Vick? Or, for that matter, backup quarterback Brian Hoyer?

Thinking locally for a second, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert told me he's never seen a deeper defensive draft than this one. The Patriots need a pass-rusher badly. And a right defensive end for the 3-4. And they need to make up for second-round picks blown in recent seasons.

Meanwhile, they have no tight end to speak of. Nor do they have what anyone would call a reliable stable of running backs. Or a young, promising wide receiver who can stretch the field.

And yet Tim Tebow – who could be Steve Young but is more likely an amalgamation of Eric Crouch, Scott Frost, Jason White, Andre Ware and Matt Jones -- is gnoshing saltimbocca with the modern-day Lombardi?

Add it all up. You know what you get?

The fact that someday, 40 years down the road, Tim Tebow will bounce a grandkid on his knee and recall that heady spring of 2010 when he had the attention of everybody who cares about American football. And the March night he ate dinner with Hall of Fame coach Bill Belichick at an Italian place in Boston. A great night, he'll say wistfully, before adding that he never really talked to Belichick again.

That's the way this is going to go . . . isn't it?

Tokens
Can someone explain how a qb can be so good in college and not be good in the NFL?

Very simple. While they both us the same ball, they might as well be two completely different games.

In CFB, you are considered "open" when you have 3 or 4 yards on the DB. In the NFL 12 inches is considered open. The ability to make all the passes is what really seperates the qbs.

At Florida, he played with numerous NFL players on a team that was more talented than most. Just like some guys who are great in college bball at 6'6, but wouldn't score 8 ppg in the NBA every night.

To completely different games. That is why there are some draft busts, it is sometimes hard to determine how successful someone will be because of how different the games are.

Tokens
I'm still waiting for Blake Griffin to start next year for the Clippers. I think he'll be a bust in the pros.

Tokens
I read brian billick's book last fall, and he had a whole chapter devoted to college qb's. Basically he said they really have no idea how good a qb will be in the pro's compared to college. Every other position they have a good idea if a player will succeed based on physical traits, skills, personality makeup, etc.. But when it comes to quarterbacks its essentially a guessing game. Some guys are highly rated and are a bust (Kyle Boller, Akli Smith etc) and some who don't rate well turn out to be great. The chapter was titled "Nodody knows nothing". I don't really like Billick much as a coach but I thought his book was a good read

FreeRyanFerguson.com
Tokens
And.......boom goes the dynamite. Congrats to Tim Tebow!

Self appointed RX World Champion Handicapper
Tokens
Very simple. While they both us the same ball, they might as well be two completely different games.

In CFB, you are considered "open" when you have 3 or 4 yards on the DB. In the NFL 12 inches is considered open. The ability to make all the passes is what really seperates the qbs.

At Florida, he played with numerous NFL players on a team that was more talented than most. Just like some guys who are great in college bball at 6'6, but wouldn't score 8 ppg in the NBA every night.

To completely different games. That is why there are some draft busts, it is sometimes hard to determine how successful someone will be because of how different the games are.

actually they dont use the same ball.. the college ball is like a pee wee football . i can throw it 50 yards . an nfl ball is much larger..

as far as tebow goes , i dont think he amounts to much in the nfl . as a qb that is..

Tokens
:smoker2:

Doesn't prove much except that one team was dumb enough to draft him the first round. What it does mean though is he will given every shot and then some due to his draft status. Certainly can't say he isn't being given a shot. As bad as he is, he may almost be more talented then Kyle Orton. Brady Quinn blows too, but he's the most talented QB there now.

Tebow's best shot would be as a fullback, but I doubt he's up for that.

FreeRyanFerguson.com
Tokens
Doesn't prove much except that one team was dumb enough to draft him the first round. What it does mean though is he will given every shot and then some due to his draft status. Certainly can't say he isn't being given a shot. As bad as he is, he may almost be more talented then Kyle Orton. Brady Quinn blows too, but he's the most talented QB there now.

Tebow's best shot would be as a fullback, but I doubt he's up for that.
Do you still think Juice Williams is a NFL QB? Saying Tebow is terrible is just unfounded. He executed Florida's offense to perfection for 3 + years, and was simply the best cfb player in a long time. Now he has a different role, and will give everything he has. I agree with Jon Gruden......"this shouldn't surprise anyone. The kid is a winner, and will have a fine pro career."

You can bet against him, but I will not.

Tokens
I agree with you Illini, I mentioned in another thread this kid has more intangibles than most NFL players dream of having. It seems like 99% of the public is calling this guy garbage and he'll never ever play QB in the NFL (didn't realize there are so many expert talent evaluators out there) , he seems like the type of guy that will use that as motivation to succeed. The draft is a pretty big crapshoot for QB's , so if your gonna take one you may as well gamble on a guy that has great character and leadership abilities, and is a proven winner. And as crazy as McDaniels seems to be , he did a pretty good job developing Cassell with no college QB starts, give him 2 years to develop a guy like Tebow and he can make it happen.

Tokens
Do you still think Juice Williams is a NFL QB? Saying Tebow is terrible is just unfounded. He executed Florida's offense to perfection for 3 + years, and was simply the best cfb player in a long time. Now he has a different role, and will give everything he has. I agree with Jon Gruden......"this shouldn't surprise anyone. The kid is a winner, and will have a fine pro career."

You can bet against him, but I will not.

Come on now, I never said Juice was. At one point I thought he might have a shot to develop, but he never did.

Tebow might an asset to the team if he's used in very creative ways. But will he ever be a successful every down NFL starting QB? I seriously don't think so.

Ty Detmer, Charlie Ward, Ken Dorsey, Tommie Frazier....being a successful cfb qb does not necessarily translate whatsoever. Even Matt Leinart. How about Danny Wuerffel? He was incredibly successful at Florida. Lots of QB's have had great success at Florida. Not so much in the NFL. Shane Matthews, Grossman, Wuerffel, Leak.

All this talk about being a great person and a winner blah blah blah. Show the great NFL QB's who are great because they are great guys and like to win...you can't. They are all talented as fuck with incredible arms. Once they are great then everyone says they are great guys and winners etc. Not the other way around. Benches and waiver wires are filled with great attitudes and ethic. Heck, look at the top NFL Qb's -- most of them didn't even have great college team success. Brees, Favre, Rivers, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Romo, Cutler, McNabb. I don't think any of the better NFL QB's won championships in college, or even came close. And heck, I don't even think most of these guys are 'nice guys' or whatever. What they have is huge arms and talent. Something Tebow doesn't IMHO.

Tokens
I agree with you Illini, I mentioned in another thread this kid has more intangibles than most NFL players dream of having. It seems like 99% of the public is calling this guy garbage and he'll never ever play QB in the NFL (didn't realize there are so many expert talent evaluators out there) , he seems like the type of guy that will use that as motivation to succeed. The draft is a pretty big crapshoot for QB's , so if your gonna take one you may as well gamble on a guy that has great character and leadership abilities, and is a proven winner. And as crazy as McDaniels seems to be , he did a pretty good job developing Cassell with no college QB starts, give him 2 years to develop a guy like Tebow and he can make it happen.

I don't know of any of the top NFL QB's that are great because of intangibles. Manning, Brees, Rivers, Favre, etc. whoever, they're great because they are gifted throwers. All of em.

Tokens
I don't know of any of the top NFL QB's that are great because of intangibles. Manning, Brees, Rivers, Favre, etc. whoever, they're great because they are gifted throwers. All of em.

Is that supposed to be a joke?? You don't think their intangibles like working their ass off and being great leaders made them top QB's?? How do you think they got to be so good in the first place. There's no real formula for what makes a superstar QB, but when I hear about a guy like Tebow wanting to start reading the Denver playbook the day after he gets drafted, and promising McDaniels he won't let him down... thats a pretty good start to me.. I sure as hell want players like that on my team

FreeRyanFerguson.com
Tokens
Come on now, I never said Juice was. At one point I thought he might have a shot to develop, but he never did.

Tebow might an asset to the team if he's used in very creative ways. But will he ever be a successful every down NFL starting QB? I seriously don't think so.

Ty Detmer, Charlie Ward, Ken Dorsey, Tommie Frazier....being a successful cfb qb does not necessarily translate whatsoever. Even Matt Leinart. How about Danny Wuerffel? He was incredibly successful at Florida. Lots of QB's have had great success at Florida. Not so much in the NFL. Shane Matthews, Grossman, Wuerffel, Leak.

All this talk about being a great person and a winner blah blah blah. Show the great NFL QB's who are great because they are great guys and like to win...you can't. They are all talented as fuck with incredible arms. Once they are great then everyone says they are great guys and winners etc. Not the other way around. Benches and waiver wires are filled with great attitudes and ethic. Heck, look at the top NFL Qb's -- most of them didn't even have great college team success. Brees, Favre, Rivers, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Romo, Cutler, McNabb. I don't think any of the better NFL QB's won championships in college, or even came close. And heck, I don't even think most of these guys are 'nice guys' or whatever. What they have is huge arms and talent. Something Tebow doesn't IMHO.
Fair points, all of them. We'll see how it plays out. You never know what is in their plans, and you never know how the game is going to evolve. I know what I saw the first time I ever saw Tebow take a snap, and my jaw dropped to the floor. Two years ago, nobody had ever heard of the Wildcat, now it's a common term. I do know that Tebow will contribute in some way, no matter what happens.

HAT

Tokens
Heck, look at the top NFL Qb's -- most of them didn't even have great college team success. Brees, Favre, Rivers, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Romo, Cutler, McNabb.

:grandmais

Tokens
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/2010-11-24-tim-tebow_N.htm

Nov. 24, 2010
As season slips away, will Broncos turn to Tim Tebow?
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — It's the one question Josh McDaniels has dreaded since his surprising selection of Tim Tebow (FSY) in April: Will he play his first-round draft pick more if the Denver Broncos' season starts to slips away?
The Broncos are bad: they're 3-7, the worst team in the middling AFC West. They've lost 15 of 20 for the first time since 1971-72 and they haven't won back-to-back games in nearly a year.
But they're not mathematically out of playoff contention, with division leader Kansas City at 6-4. So McDaniels won't entertain the notion of giving Tebow many more snaps.
Asked on Tuesday if he'd consider starting Tebow instead of Kyle Orton (FSY) if the Broncos fell out of playoff contention, McDaniels said: "I don't know. I'm not willing to go there. That's not the case right now, so we will think about that when that happens. But it's not on our minds right now."

WEEK 12 PICKS: Our analysts choose winners and losers

There are many obstacles to fast-forwarding Tebow Time:

• If McDaniels plays him more, that's an admission to his locker room that this is a lost season.
• The former Florida star is still very much a work in progress as he morphs from a combination college quarterback to a prototypical pro passer and doesn't appear anywhere near ready to lead an NFL team.
• The remaining schedule includes four bona fide playoff contenders and two others that are just two games out, so Tebow would face no vanilla defenses and plenty of blitz packages that could set him back too far — or put him on his back too much.
• The offensive line includes two often-overwhelmed rookies in center J.D. Walton and left guard Zane Beadles (FSY), a big reason Orton has been knocked around a bunch and sacked 26 times.
• Orton is having his best year ever, already having thrown for 3,023 yards with 17 touchdowns and just six interceptions.
• The contract extension Orton signed this summer will pay him more than $8 million next year.
Tebow is learning how to recognize things over the middle and pass into the gut of the defense. But he's only been used occasionally this year, notably in goal line situations where his size and strength provide the Broncos with greater chances of reaching the end zone on the ground.
McDaniels has had his chances to give Tebow more playing time in the last month but declined to get him his first extensive action in three blowouts, a 59-14 loss to Oakland, a 49-29 rout of Kansas City and a 35-14 loss at San Diego on Monday night.
McDaniels insisted, however, that he hasn't seen many opportunities to give Tebow more playing time.
"We haven't had too many situations like that. But there's a lot that could go into it. I think each game is different, depending on — I think we've had the one game against Kansas City where you felt like maybe there is a situation there, but there were some other things that played into that. We're not averse to doing it, we just haven't had many opportunities to do that this year," McDaniels said.
The coach finds himself in a tough spot.
If Tebow plays more and looks bad, McDaniels will be criticized for trading away three draft picks to move up and grab the former Heisman Trophy winner and two-time national champion with the 25th pick of the NFL draft when no other teams considered him a first-rounder.
And McDaniels might just be trying to solidify his own job security.
Chief operating officer Joe Ellis recently told the Denver Post in the only interview he's granted on the subject that while McDaniels' job was safe this year, nothing is set in stone for 2011.
McDaniels has come under increasing scrutiny this season for his personnel decisions, including trading away Peyton Hillis (FSY) for Brady Quinn (FSY). Hillis has rushed for 774 yards and eight touchdowns in Cleveland — 20 more yards and one more touchdown than the entire Broncos team has managed this season.
The Broncos thought they had cured many of their problems during the bye week, after which they routed the Chiefs. But many of the same troubles returned Monday night: penalties, poor adjustments, bad tackling.
"We are still not out of anything yet, even though I know the standings don't look the way we would like them to look at this point," McDaniels said. "So, that's doing your job and every one of us is accountable to do that and we've got to come in here and put forth our best effort, prepare hard, and see what happens."
McDaniels said his team's primary problem is inconsistency, but he had no easy answers for why.
"There is not one cause," McDaniels said. "There's a number of different things that can affect consistency and your ability to perform well. If it was just one thing, it would be a simple answer but that's why this game is not a simple game."

I think I want my money back!
Tokens
Updated: February 24, 2011, 3:05 PM ET
John Fox: Kyle Orton is Broncos' starter

In comments sure to rile the Tebow faithful, Fox said Thursday at his NFL scouting combine news conference in Indianapolis that if the season started today, he'd go with the more seasoned Orton.

That echoed comments made by new football chief John Elway at the Super Bowl.

Orton started the first 13 games last season but gave way to Tebow, the former Heisman Trophy winner and national college champion, for the final three games.

Former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels traded three draft picks to select the passionate but unpolished Tebow in the first round last year.

Tokens
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colu...sts-cool-on-Tim-Tebows-NFL-chances/50111678/1

We will
See how long???
8/24/2011:
CBS Sports analysts cool on Tim Tebow's NFL chances
By Mike McCarthy, USA TODAY
Tim Tebow says he's relying on his faith to help him succeed with the Denver Broncos. That's good, because CBS Sports analyst Boomer Esiason doesn't think he has a prayer of earning a starting quarterback job in the NFL.

Esiason, an analyst for The NFL Today pregame show, dismissed the job prospects of the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner, whose stock is plummeting rapidly. From potential franchise quarterback, Tebow has dropped to third on the depth chart behind starting quarterback Kyle Orton and backup Brady Quinn.
"He can't play. He can't throw," Esiason said at a CBS press event in New York on Tuesday. "I'm not here to insult him. The reality is he was a great college football player, maybe the greatest college football player of his time. But he's not an NFL quarterback right now. Just because he's God-fearing, and a great person off the field, and was a winner with the team that had the best athletes in college football, doesn't mean his game is going to translate to the NFL."
Tebow's throwing mechanics are so poor, Esiason says, he wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos cut him loose. "What (former Broncos coach) Josh McDaniel saw in him God only knows. Maybe God does know — because the rest of us don't," Esiason said.
Game analyst Steve Beuerlein, a 17-year NFL veteran, called two Tebow games last season for CBS. After watching him in person, his opinion improved. But he still doesn't think Tebow has what it takes to be a starter in the league.
"I'd say he's closer to third-teamer than a first-teamer," Beuerlein said.
But CBS game analyst Randy Cross thinks critics, particularly a hostile news media, are hating on Tebow for wearing his religious beliefs on his sleeve. Despite all of the doom and gloom, the three-time Super Bowl champion says "there's a place in the league" for Tebow.
NFL lineup: CBS on Tuesday revealed its announcing teams for its 2011 NFL coverage, which kicks off Sept. 11. Not many changes. The first three teams of Phil Simms-Jim Nantz, Dan Dierdorf-Greg Gumbel and Dan Fouts-Ian Eagle remain the same. The big news is that announcer Marv Albert, a personal favorite, is joining CBS and will work with analyst Rich Gannon. Beuerlein gets a new play-by-play partner in Spero Dedes. Rounding out the rest of CBS' NFL announcing teams: Cross-Don Criqui; Solomon Wilcots-Kevin Harlan and Steve Tasker-Bill Macatee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allteamsname3
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com