Sunday 6/26/16 service plays chatter/comps/requests & other stuff...

Search
Tokens
Preview: Blue Jays (41-35) at White Sox (37-38)

Game: 3
Venue: U.S. Cellular Field
Date: June 26, 2016 2:10 PM EDT

CHICAGO -- Chris Sale of the Chicago White Sox will try for a major leagueÂ*leading 13th victory when he takes the mound on Sunday against the Toronto Blue Jays.

The leftÂ*hander tops the majors with 12 victories, ahead of Jake Arrieta of the Chicago Cubs, Johnny Cueto of the San Francisco Giants and Clayton Kershaw of the Los Angeles Dodgers, who all have 11.

Sale went 13Â*11 with a 3.41 ERA last season. His careerÂ*best total for victories is 17, set in 2012, his first season as a starter.

Sale (12Â*2, 2.83 ERA) pitched one of his best outings of the season in his last start. He held the Boston Red Sox to a run and four hits in seven innings Tuesday at Fenway Park.

The White Sox (37Â*38) are 12Â*3 when their ace pitches. They were feeling good about the possibility of taking the threeÂ*game series with him starting.

"Big day, lot of pressure," starting pitcher Miguel Gonzalez said. "We've got Sale on the mound and have a pretty good chance of winning the ballgame."

The White Sox will try to bounce back after hitting seven home runs -- all solo shots -- in a 10Â*8 loss on Saturday.

"You were hoping there'd be a couple guys on (base)," manager Robin Ventura said. "I figured hopefully we could get some guys on there in the ninth and get one up in the wind and see what happened.

"I'm just glad the way the guys keep battling back offensively, and that's a good sign."

Sale allowed a run in eight innings on April 26 in his other start against Toronto this season, and he is 3Â*2 with a 2.25 ERA in four career starts against the Blue Jays.

Marcus Stroman (6Â*3, 5.23 ERA) is expected to start for Toronto (41Â*35) and will try to finish the month on a positive note. The rightÂ*hander has struggled in June, going 1Â*2 with a 7.89 ERA.

Stroman allowed seven runs in a seasonÂ*worst 3 2Â*3 innings Sunday against the Baltimore Orioles in his last start. He has given up at least six runs in four of his last seven starts.

"I just lost the feel a little bit," Stroman told MLB.com after his last start. "I'm just waiting for it to click. I feel like when it clicks again, I'll get rolling.

"It has been just kind of in and out lately the last few starts, just kind of searching for it. It's in there, it's just a matter of finding it and being way more consistent with it."

In terms of injuries, the Blue Jays hope first baseman Justin Smoak will soon return to the lineup. He was out Saturday for the second consecutive game after fouling a ball off his left knee on

Wednesday.

Reliever Gavin Floyd exited Saturday's game due to right shoulder tightness after throwing four pitches.

"I just felt uncomfortable out there," Floyd said. "I tossed a ball, and it felt like something I needed to do and take myself out. We'll get images (Sunday) and find out what's going on."

Tokens
Preview: Astros (39-36) at Royals (38-35)

Venue: Ewing M. Kauffman Stadium
Date: June 26, 2016 2:15 PM EDT

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Alex Gordon is back in the Kansas City lineup after missing 30 games with a right wrist fracture and is expected to be there again when the Royals try to salvage the finale of their three-game series with the Houston Astros on Sunday.

Manager Ned Yost immediately inserted Gordon in the second hole in the batting order, while dropping shortstop Alcides Escobar from two to eight.

"His best numbers have been in the two spot, (although) it's only 125 at-bats," Yost said. "Esky's best spot traditionally has been the eighth spot. Both guys seem to be comfortable in those respective spots. We'll see how it looks for a while."

Gordon has 126 plate-appearances and 111 at-bats in starting 28 games batting second. He has a .342 average with a .421 on-base percentage and .532 slugging percentage. Gordon has batted in every position in the order with the most as a leadoff -- 1,265 at-bats for a .280 batting average.

Before the injury this season, Gordon had batted in the sixth slot 28 games, 13 games batting fifth and one game batting second.

In six rehab games, Gordon hit .364 with Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha.

"Timing was great," Gordon said. "I was seeing the ball good. My swing actually felt good, that was a plus. I came out of it with all good stuff."

Gordon was welcomed back to a standing ovation and responded by homering and doubling in his final two at-bats of a 13-5 loss to the Astros.

Escobar went 1-for-5 batting eighth. He entered the game with a .280 batting average in 183 games (182 as a starter) batting eighth.

In last year's magical run to winning the World Series, Escobar was the Royals' primary leadoff hitter despite a .259 batting average and .296 on-base percentage while hitting first. The Royals, however, went 82-49 with Escobar leading off.

"Gordy's been swinging the bat well here lately," Yost said. "You try to get a configuration that gives you the most production in the lineup. Looking at strict numbers, Esky's numbers weren't great in the one, but our won-loss record was great with him in the one."

The Astros, who have a seven-game winning streak and are 32-19 since May 1, have scored 26 runs in demolishing the Royals in the first two games of this series. The Astros have right-hander Doug Fister going Sunday and they are 10-0 in his past 10 starts. Eric Hosmer is 10-for-26 with a home run and six RBIs off Fister.

"To win the first two games in the fashion we have sets us up nicely for a chance at the sweep," Astros manager A.J. Hinch said.

The Royals will be more than happy not to see again Houston second baseman Jose Altuve again this year unless it is in postseason. Altuve went 4-for-5 on Saturday and is batting .481 this season against Kansas City.

Royals right-hander Ian Kennedy, who starts the series finale, has permitted 10 home runs in his first four June starts.

On the flip side, the Astros have homered in 10 straight games, matching their longest streak since June 14-23, 2015.

Tokens
Preview: Red Sox (41-33) at Rangers (48-27)

Venue: Globe Life Park in Arlington
Date: June 26, 2016 3:05 PM EDT

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Texas Rangers and Boston Red Sox have already established themselves as two of the best teams in baseball heading into their series finale on Sunday at Globe Life Park.

And both teams are on the verge of getting even better because of health as they head into the rubber game of their three-game matchup.

Two key Texas pitchers -- right-handers Yu Darvish and Keone Kela -- will throw bullpens Sunday as they continue to make strides to returning to the Rangers' roster. And Boston catcher Ryan Hanigan and do-it-all man Brock Holt are also close to getting back to the Red Sox.

Holt could join the Red Sox on Monday after missing more than a month because of a concussion. The former All-Star was batting .239 with three homers and 29 RBIs before getting hurt.

"Brock's weighing in is a key part of this, how he feels from the symptoms he's been dealing with," Boston manager John Farrell said. "Optimistically, he'll be in Tampa (Monday-Wednesday series), but we've got to see how he gets through this weekend."

Hanigan could also be ready to play sometime next week, but his return from a neck strain that has had him sidelined since June 5 will give the Red Sox an abundance at the catcher spot. Sandy Leon would seem like the best bet to lose his spot, but he's out of options and is also batting .545 in his nine games with the Red Sox this season.

While the Red Sox might have too much of a good thing at catcher, the Rangers need Kela to get back as soon as possible to help a bullpen that gave up four runs with two outs in the ninth inning in Friday's 8-7 loss to Boston.

Sunday's bullpen session will be the second for Kela, who had surgery to remove bone spurs in April and has missed 60 games. Getting Kela back would ease some of the burden on closer Sam Dyson (39 appearances) and Jake Diekman (34).

Kela feels great, especially after his Friday bullpen session.

"I felt great," Kela said. "I'm hitting my spots. I added a two-seam (fastball). My curveball is still sharp. I'm throwing it for strikes and an out pitch. I'm very excited."

The Rangers, who have highest bullpen ERA in the American League at 4.73, could use Kela as soon as possible, but he knows he still has work to do.

"I'm getting downhill, getting my arm out there and getting extended," Kela said. "Staying within myself is the biggest thing right now because I don't want to just throw as hard as I can when my arm is not conditioned."

Tokens
Preview: Athletics (32-42) at Angels (31-44)

Game: 4
Venue: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Date: June 26, 2016 3:35 PM EDT

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Last year at this time, the Oakland Athletics' Sonny Gray and the Los Angeles Angels' Hector Santiago were performing at an All-Star level. Now, both find themselves struggling mightily, and each seeks to reverse course at the other's expense when their respective teams meet Sunday at Angel Stadium.

Gray made the American League's All-Star team in just his second full season before finishing 14-7 with a 2.73 ERA, good for third place in the league's rankings. The right-hander also led the league with two shutouts and finished third in voting for the Cy Young Award.

This year, however, Gray is trying to end a five-game losing streak that began before a strained right trapezius muscle put him on the disabled list. During that losing streak, a career worst, Gray has compiled a 6.41 ERA. For the season, Gray leads the majors with 11 wild pitches.

But in his last start Tuesday night against the Milwaukee Brewers, Gray conceded only one earned run and one walk in six innings while scattering seven hits and collecting seven strikeouts for his first quality start since April 22, the date of his last victory.

A's manager Bob Melvin believes Gray has turned a corner since returning from the disabled list June 5.

"Every start he's had since he's come back, less really one inning, has been really good," Melvin said. "His stuff's been there. Everything has been really crisp. Everybody goes through a period of struggle at some point in their career. Since he's been back, he's much more like the old Sonny Gray we're used to seeing."

Meanwhile, Santiago struggles to find the consistency that enabled him to compile a 2.33 ERA at the All-Star break and join Gray at the All-Star Game. This season, the left-hander saw his ERA swell to 5.64 before he threw quality starts in his last two appearances.

"Hector's been hot and cold," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He's thrown some games where you just go, 'Wow!' Everything's working for him; the velocity's there and he's got his command. Then there are some games where he came out not having the stuff you just saw the start before.

"But the last couple of starts, you're seeing what we saw earlier in the season. He's throwing fewer pitches behind in the count. He's getting into the strike zone early with good stuff and letting all his pitches play off of each other."

The Angels' and Athletics' pitching staffs have more in common than two struggling former All-Stars. Three of Los Angeles' projected starters are on the 60-day disabled list. Oakland, meanwhile, has two on the 15-day disabled list, two on the 60-day disabled list and two out for the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery earlier this year.

Tokens
Preview: Phillies (32-44) at Giants (48-28)

Venue: AT&T Park
Date: June 26, 2016 4:05 PM EDT

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Philadelphia Phillies' quest to figure out what's gone wrong with right-hander Aaron Nola continues when they wrap up a three-game series against the San Francisco Giants on Sunday at AT&T Park.

The 23-year-old will be opposed by 11-game winner Johnny Cueto, who will take some unresolved issues of his own to the mound for the Giants.

Nola appeared to be the Phillies' clear-cut All-Star favorite when, on the heels of a 6-2 rookie campaign, he limited nine of his first 12 opponents to two or fewer runs this season, compiling a 2.65 ERA.

A July call-up from the minors last summer, his 3.59 ERA after the All-Star break ranked 22nd in the National League among pitchers with 10 or more starts.

He was even better than that in May, sporting a 2.31 ERA that was the league's 14th best.

But after throwing six shutout innings against Milwaukee on June 6, things have gone south in a hurry for the former LSU standout. He was pulled in the fourth inning at Washington on June 11, then lasted only three innings in his next two starts against Toronto and Minnesota.

All of a sudden, his ERA has mushroomed to 4.11, and now he faces arguably his toughest assignment of the season -- the Giants in a stadium where they have won 12 of their last 15 games.

"He'll get that back," Phillies manager Pete Mackanin predicted to reporters after the debacle in Minnesota on Tuesday. "But something is missing right now."

Nola has never faced the Giants in his fledgling career.

In an effort to get things turned around, Mackanin announced Saturday that he is going to have veteran Carlos Ruiz catch Nola on Sunday. Cameron Rupp, hero of Saturday's 3-2 win, had been behind the plate for all 28 of Nola's previous starts.

"If you have Johnny Bench on your team and he's your team's best hitting catcher," Mackanin said before Saturday's game, using the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Famer as his example. "It doesn't matter who you want catching you. You better get used to having Bench as your catcher."

Cueto, meanwhile, has seen the Phillies plenty in his career. More often than not, the experience has not been a pleasant one.

The former Reds right-hander has faced the Phillies nine times and has just one win. And that was six years ago.

He's 1-4 in the nine starts with an ERA (5.05) that's the highest among teams he has seen five or more times.

But he's 11-1 with a 2.06 ERA as a Giant, and San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy assured Saturday night he's more interested in the recent past -- Cueto has won eight in a row -- than ancient history.

"This team has played us tough," Bochy said of the Phillies, whose 3-2 win Saturday came on the heels of a 5-4 loss on Friday. "It's important for us to get another good pitching performance and win a series."

Tokens
Preview: Diamondbacks (36-41) at Rockies (35-39)

Game: 4
Venue: Coors Field
Date: June 26, 2016 4:10 PM EDT

DENVER -- The Colorado Rockies will try for a split of their four-game series with Arizona and the Diamondbacks will attempt to complete a 10-game road trip with an 8-2 record when the teams meet Sunday.

Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt has a chance to tie a notable record. He has reached base safely in 47 straight games against the Rockies. That is a franchise record against any opponent and one game shy of the longest on-base streak against the Rockies.

Mike Piazza reached base safely in 48 consecutive games against Colorado from July 1, 1995 to Sept. 13, 1999.

In the past 18 games, Goldschmidt is hitting .408 (29-for-71) with six doubles, four homers, 14 RBIs and 11 walks. He has reached base via a hit or a walk in 17 of his past 19 road games, going 24-for-71 (.338) during that span with four doubles, two homers, 11 RBIs and 17 walks.

That surge has left Goldschmidt with an overall average of .300, 14 doubles, 14 homers, 47 RBIs, 43 runs, 63 walks, a .436 on-base percentage and .517 slugging percentage.

"I think he's hitting the ball well, and he's putting into play the balls that are in the zone for him," Diamondbacks manager Chip Hale said. "Early in the year, the pitches that he could handle were being fouled back. Now they are going out into fair territory for hits. So Paul is getting better pitches, putting them into play, and if they are not coming into the zone, he is taking walks."

While Goldschmidt is a middle-of-the-order force and slugging his way toward another robust season, Rockies second baseman DJ LeMahieu, who typically bats second, has made more subtle offensive strides.

LeMahieu hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning Saturday that completed the scoring in Colorado's 11-6 win and gave closer-for-the-day Gonzalez Germen an ample cushion in the ninth.

LeMahieu, who went 2-for-4, is hitting .328 -- the highest his average has been since April 17 -- with 19 doubles, five triples, five homers, 29 RBIs and 46 runs. He has a .392 on-base percentage and a .500 slugging percentage.

LeMahieu is one homer shy of the career-high six he hit last year when he batted a career-high .301, raising his lifetime average to .284. He has reached base safely in 34 of his past 37 games, and his 29 extra-base hits this season are three shy of his 2015 total.

"He's really evolved into an offensive threat," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said. "I feel like he's using his back side to hit. That allows him to drive the ball. I just think he's growing as a hitter. He understands the timing, rhythm and balance throughout the swing.

"I see the lower half much more involved this year than I did in the past. I always felt a couple years ago his on-base and his slugging (percentages) would increase because of his ability to adapt, his feel for the game, his instints, his baseball IQ."

Tokens
Preview: Cardinals (38-35) at Mariners (38-37)

Venue: Safeco Field
Date: June 26, 2016 4:10 PM EDT

SEATTLE -- The St. Louis Cardinals will face an American League West team for the final time in eight weeks on Sunday and the break can't come soon enough for their fans.

Saturday night's loss to the Seattle Mariners left St. Louis with a 3-7 record against AL West teams this season. The Cardinals have now lost seven in a row against teams from the division.

While another AL team awaits in the intrastate rival Kansas City Royals, the Cardinals have to be somewhat relieved they're not playing a team from out West.

The Cardinals (38-35) have now lost their past three series against AL West teams, having been swept by Houston and Texas earlier in the month before dropping the first two games of the Seattle series. St. Louis will try to salvage a win Sunday when the Cardinals close out the three-game series at Safeco Field.

Jaime Garcia (5-6, 3.83 ERA) is scheduled to take the mound in a stadium in which he has never pitched.

The Cardinals are hoping that Garcia fares better than Saturday starter Mike Leake, who couldn't get out of the fourth inning. Garcia gave up nine hits, all singles, in 3 1/3 innings as St. Louis fell behind 5-0 before losing 5-4.

"It wasn't a good day of pitching," Leake said afterward.

He was speaking exclusively of his own performance. The St. Louis bullpen -- specifically left-hander Tyler Lyons -- was outstanding in 4 2/3 innings of scoreless relief. Lyons allowed just one hit as the Cardinals chipped away at the lead, pulling within a run on Aledmys Diaz's three-run homer in the fifth.

"Tyler was great," said St. Louis manager Mike Matheny, who will have a rested bullpen and could be debuting a new closer after removing that job title from Trevor Rosenthal.

The Seattle bullpen also turned in an impressive outing, working four scoreless innings to make sure the 5-4 lead held up. Cishek gave up a one-out double in the ninth but wiggled out of it to post his 17th save of the season.

"It was nice to see Shrek (Cishek) get over the hump here at home," Seattle manager Scott Servais said.

Left-hander James Paxton (1-3, 3.34 ERA) will start for the Mariners on Sunday, which could mean a day of rest for the Seattle bullpen heading into Monday's off day. Paxton has turned out to be an innings-eater on a starting staff that has struggled to get past the fifth. Paxton pitched into the eighth inning his last time out, but he tired from there.

While the Cardinals have had trouble solving the AL West, the Mariners are staying in the division race in large part because of their interleague success. Saturday night's win gave Seattle (37-37) an 8-1 record in interleague games this season.

After an off day Monday, the Mariners get back into interleague play with a two-game series against Pittsburgh. Seattle and the Cardinals won't see each other again after Sunday.

Tokens
Preview: Dodgers (41-35) at Pirates (36-39)

Venue: PNC Park
Date: June 26, 2016 8:08 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH -- Andrew McCutchen and the Pittsburgh Pirates will attempt to keep their current roll against the Los Angeles Dodgers going when they meet again at PNC Park on Sunday.

McCutchen snapped out of his recent slump, at least for one night, in Pittsburgh's 6-1 win on Saturday. The 2013 National League MVP homered twice and earned four RBI to help the Pirates overcome otherwise strong pitching from right-hander Kenta Maeda.

"He's going to get to somebody sooner or later, it doesn't matter who," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "They can be good. They could have been around. They can be young, fresh. He's going to get to somebody."

Pittsburgh (36-39) has taken each of the first two games of its series against Los Angeles (41-35) but will find itself facing Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw in the finale.

With some confidence and a new walk-up song by Adele in his arsenal, McCutchen feels prepared to break out soon.

"I'm just going to keep working and going at it," McCutchen said. "I'll be back to where I know I can be in no time."

McCutchen, whose 12 home runs have him one ahead of third baseman Jung Ho Kang for the team lead, might have a harder time Sunday, when he and the Pirates face one of the National League's premier aces.

The Pirates' starter has not been determined, but it is certain whoever they put on the mound will face a tough test in Kershaw. The three-time Cy Young winner has elevated his game even further in 2016, which is a frightening proposition for a Pittsburgh team trying to find its footing amidst recent struggles.

Kershaw is 11-1 with a 1.57 ERA and three complete games this season. In his last start, he allowed one run with eight strikeouts against the Washington Nationals on Monday.

The Dodgers were on a roll entering this series, winning six straight and nine of 10 before heading to Pittsburgh. Despite that success, Los Angeles manager Dave Roberts hasn't been pleased with his team's collective effort and thinks it might rely on Kershaw's brilliance too often.

"I don't know where we would be without Clayton, that's for sure," Roberts said after Los Angeles' 8-6 loss to Pittsburgh on Friday. "We've really reached into our depth. You can't use that as excuse, though. If you asked the hitters, they'd say they should have scored more runs tonight. If you asked the guys in the bullpen, they'd say they should have not given up any runs. Everyone is accountable. It's not just the starting pitchers. It's all of us."

Pittsburgh could counter Kershaw with Triple-A pitcher Chad Kuhl, who would make his major-league debut, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Kuhl has performed well with the Indianapolis Indians this season, winning six of eight decisions with a 2.58 ERA, but has shown some weakness lately.

Before allowing just two runs across 5 2/3 innings in his last start Monday, Kuhl had surrendered four runs in each of his previous three starts and had failed to go more than four innings in two of those three.

Tokens
'Cubbies have a tough one ahead'

Chicago Cubs at Miami Marlins June 26, 1:10 EST

Chicago Cubs and Miami Marlins complete a four game series at Marlins Park. Cubbies look to Jason Hammel in the finale while Marlins counter with Jose Fernandez - The openings odds have Miami -$1.35 to $1.45 home favorites depending on locale.

Hammel hitting a rough patch is 0-2 his last three allowing 19 hits, 4 yard-ball 8 runs with Cubbies 0-3 over the span. On the campaign, Hammel carries to the hill a 7-3 record, 2.55 ERA. Hammel is 1-1 in four starts vs Miami tossing for Cubbies (3-1 TSR). On the other mound, Fernandez (9-3, 2.36 ERA) is off a tough luck no-decision going 7 strong innings of 1 hit, no-run ball with 7 K's in Marlins 3-2 loss against Atlanta. Fernandez has never faced the Cubs.

Fernandez doing Miami's bidding bodes well for Marlins' chances. History shows Jose Fernandez loves pitching in front of the friendly crowd at Marlins Park. In the righthanders 34 starts at Marlins Park, he's 23-1 with Miami 29-5 in those games, 24-4 as home chalk. Additionally, as a team, Marlins have thrived at home handing the ball to Fernandez facing a team with a winning record. In the last eighteen situations the result has been 16 wins, 2 losses.

Tokens
Boston Red Sox at Texas Rangers Series (June 24-26)

The Rangers and Red Sox square off in a three game series at Globe Life Park in Arlington this weekend. This will be the first meeting of the season between these clubs. Texas held the edge vs Boston last season winning 5 of the 7 matchups, and that includes 3-1 at this venue.

As a team, Texas heads into the weekend one of the hottest teams in baseball. The Rangers reeling off an 8-1 streak have won 16 of their 21 games in June stuffing a whopping +$1182 into betting accounts. Meanwhile, John Farrell's inconsistent troops head into the series a disappointing 7-12 this month costing faithfull backers -$977 at the betting window.

Nick Martinez gets the opening call for Texas. The righthander making his second start of the season is off a no-decision last Saturday at St. Louis allowing 6 hits, 3 runs over 4 1/3 innings. Last season, Rangers lost 5-1 to Red Sox in Martinez's only career start vs Boston with the righty tossing 7 innings of 2 run ball.

Martinez trades pitches with David Price carrying an 8-4 record, 4.24 ERA to the hill. The hard-luck southpaw turning in four consecutive quality starts has only 1 win, 3 losses for his efforts thanks in large part to Red Sox providing just 7 total runs of support over those four games. Price facing Rangers for the first time since joining Boston is 3-8 life-time vs Texas in 15 starts for Toronto/Tampa Bay.

In Game 2 on Saturday, the pitching matchup features A.J. Griffin for the Rangers, Steven Wright for Red Sox. Griffin returning off the disabled list is 3-0 with a 2.94 in six starts this season and carries a 3-1 team start recors vs Red Sox earned while with the A’s. Wright off a 9 inning, 1 run gem tagged with a no-decision in a Red Sox loss remains undefeated in six starts allowing 2 or fewer runs in five of those starts. Wright lost his only career start in Texas last year giving up three hits, three runs, two homers over 5 2/3 innings.

And in Sunday’s finale, it's Martin Perez matching pitches with Clay Buchholz. In his last outing, Perez recorded a no-decision snapping a five game win streak but Rangers prevailed marking six straight wins handing the ball to their lefty. Perez is 1-1 in three career starts vs Boston (1-2 TSR) but hasn't faced Red Sox since 2014. Buchholz returning to the rotation Tuesday suffered his third straight loss as a starter. Red Sox have lost 5 of Buchholz's last 6 vs Rangers.

Tokens
Sunday's Diamond Notes
By Kevin Rogers

Hottest team: Giants (9-1 last 10)

San Francisco begins its Bay Bridge Series with area rival Oakland on Monday, but the Giants first have to finish off their series with the Phillies on Sunday. Johnny Cueto goes for his 12th victory on the season when he takes the mound, as the San Francisco right-hander has won eight straight decisions. The Giants have won 12 of their past 13 games with the only loss coming in a 1-0 setback at Pittsburgh last Monday. San Francisco owns a solid 7-1 record in its past eight home series finales, while beating Philadelphia six straight times at home.

Coldest team: Angels (0-5 last five)

Los Angeles took two of three at Oakland last weekend, but the Angels have gone backwards since that series victory. The Halos were swept at Houston, which included a pair of one-run losses, then dropped the first two games of their home series with the A’s. Hector Santiago continues to have an up-and-down campaign for the Angels, as Los Angeles has gone 5-5 in his last 10 trips to the mound. The Angels are 4-0 in Santiago’s previous four home starts against Oakland since the start of last season, while A’s right-hander is 0-3 in his last three starts against Los Angeles.

Hottest pitcher: Doug Fister, Astros (8-3, 3.21 ERA)

Houston goes for the sweep of Kansas City on Sunday, as Fister is unbeaten in his last 10 starts. The right-hander has delivered five consecutive quality starts, allowing six earned runs in this stretch, which includes road underdog victories against the Angels, Rangers, and Cardinals. Fister lost earlier this season to the Royals at home, giving up six earned runs, the most he has allowed this season. The Astros own a 6-2 record in eight starts away from Minute Maid Park, while tossing at least six innings in each of the past seven road outings.

Coldest pitcher: Drew Smyly, Rays (2-7, 4.78 ERA)

Tampa Bay has been one of the coldest teams in baseball recently, while Smyly is winless in his past six trips to the mound. The Rays’ southpaw has allowed at least four earned runs in four of his last five starts, while the ‘over’ has hit four times in this span. Smyly beat the Orioles twice last season, but hasn’t faced them yet this season. Baltimore has won three straight home games against left-handed starting pitchers, while the Orioles have won 12 of their past 15 games overall at Camden Yards.

Biggest UNDER run: Mariners (6-1 last seven)

Seattle’s offense has hit the skids recently, scoring four runs or less in six of the past seven games. The Mariners posted one run through eight innings in Friday’s contest against the Cardinals, but Adam Lind’s three-run walk-off blast provided Seattle a 4-3 victory even though the game finished ‘under’ the total of 8. The M’s are 5-2 to the ‘under’ in the previous seven contests at Safeco Field, while two of James Paxton’s past three starts overall have finished ‘under’ the total as he takes the mound in Sunday’s finale against St. Louis.

Biggest OVER run: Rockies (5-0 last five)

Colorado has played three high-scoring games with Arizona at Coors Field, capped off by an 11-6 victory on Saturday. The two NL West rivals have combined for 13, 19, and 17 runs in this series, while five of the six meetings at Coors Field this season have finished ‘over’ the total. The Rockies are 3-1 to the ‘over’ in the last four home starts made by Chad Bettis, while two of his three starts made against Arizona this season have gone ‘over’ the total.

Matchup to watch: Dodgers vs. Pirates

Pittsburgh put together a series to forget against San Francisco earlier this week, losing three of four games. However, the Pirates have bounced back against the Dodgers by winning each of the first two matchups at PNC Park to creep within three games of the .500 mark. Pulling off a sweep of the Dodgers won’t be easy as the Pirates have to get through Cy Young favorite Clayton Kershaw on Sunday night. Kershaw is unbeaten in his last 10 trips to the mound, while the Dodgers own a perfect 7-0 record in his seven starts away from Los Angeles. However, Kershaw was winless in a pair of starts against the Pirates last season.

Betcha didn’t know: The Cubs look to avoid their second straight series defeat after dropping two of the first three meetings with the Marlins. Jose Fernandez had his six-game home winning streak snapped in a no-decision against the Braves his last time out, an extra innings loss as a -265 favorite. The Marlins are 27-3 in Fernandez’s past 30 starts at Marlins Park since June 2013, but the right-hander is facing the Cubs for the first time in his career.

Biggest public favorite: Giants (-250) vs. Phillies

Biggest public underdog: Royals (+115) vs. Astros

Biggest line move: Twins (+200 to +190) at Yankees

Tokens
MLB

Sunday's games

National League games

Dodgers @ Pirates
Kershaw is 9-0, 1.15 in his last 10 starts; under is 7-0-1 in his last eight.

Kuhl is making MLB debut; he was 6-2, 2.58 in 14 AAA starts this year. .

Pirates lost 13 of last 17 games; over is 13-6 in their last 19 home games. Dodgers won eight of last 11 games; under is 18-7 in Dodgers' last 25 games.

Padres @ Reds
Perdomo is 1-1, 8.82 in four starts, which all went over the total. .

DeSclafani is 1-0, 4.02 in three starts (over 2-1).

Padres won six of last seven games; over is 8-4-1 in their last 13 road games. Cincinnati lost eight of last ten games; seven of its last ten games went over the total.

Cubs @ Marlins
Hammel is 0-2, 3.93 in his last three starts; four of his last five stayed under.

Fernandez is 6-1, 1.17 in his last eight starts; seven of his last nine stayed under.

Cubs lost five of last six games; three of last four road games went over. Miami won eight of its last 12 games; under is 10-5 in their last 15 home games.

Mets @ Braves
Colon is 3-0, 218 in his last six starts; over is 4-2-1 in his last seven.

Norris is 1-0, 3.12 in his last three starts; three of his last four stayed under.

Mets are 6-7 in their last 13 games; under is 10-4-1 in their last 15 games. Braves won seven of their last ten games; six of last nine Atlanta home games went over total.

Nationals @ Brewers
Roark is 2-1, 3.10 in his last three starts; three of his last four went over.

Nelson is 0-3, 8.50 in his last four starts; under is 4-2-2 in his last eight.

Nationals lost their last seven games; over is 12-4 in last 16 Washington away games. Milwaukee lost eight of its last 11 games; three of last four Milwaukee home games went over the total.

Diamondbacks @ Rockies
Corbin is 2-1, 3.81 in his last four starts, three of which stayed under.

Bettis is 2-3, 9.21 in his last six starts; six of his last nine went over.

Diamondbacks won seven of last nine games; nine of their last 13 road games stayed under the total. Colorado lost three of last four games; its last five games went over.

Phillies @ Giants
Nola is 0-3, 18.62 in his last three starts; six of his last seven went over.

Cueto is 7-0, 1.34 in his last nine starts (under 6-3).

Phillies are 4-12 in their last 15 road games; eight of their last 11 road games went over. San Francisco won 12 of its last 14 games; three of its last five games went over.

American League games

Rays @ Orioles
Smyly is 0-3, 6.69 in his last six starts; eight of his last nine went over.

Wilson is 1-0, 1.93 in his last two starts; three of his last four went over.

Rays lost their last ten games; under is 10-5 in their last 15 games. Baltimore is 13-3 in its last 16 home games; four of their last six games stayed under.

Twins @ Bronx
Duffey is 0-3, 10.57 in his last five starts; six of his last seven went over.

Eovaldi is 0-2, 9.00 in his last four starts, which all went over.

Twins lost seven of last eight road games; over is 15-4 in last 19 Minnesota games. New York won its last three games; five of their last seven games went over.

Indians @ Tigers
Tomlin is 1-0, 2.70 in his last four starts; over is 8-2-1 in last 11.

Verlander is 3-0, 2.93 in his last four starts; five of his last six stayed under. .

Indians won their last eight games; under is 7-4 in last 11 Cleveland games. Detroit won nine of last 12 home games; five of last seven Tiger games stayed under the total.

Red Sox @ Rangers
Buchholz is 0-3, 7.36 in his last four starts (over 6-5).

Perez is 5-0, 3.72 in his last six starts; three of his last four went over.

Red Sox are 5-8 in last 13 games; over is 6-2-1 in their last nine road games. Rangers are 27-9 in its last 36 home games; last three Texas games went over the total.

Blue Jays @ White Sox
Stroman is 1-2, 8.67 in his last five starts; seven of his last eight went over.

Sale is 3-0, 4.05 in his last three starts; eight of his last nine went over.

Blue Jays lost four of last six games; over is 7-4-1 in their last 12 road games. Chicago won four of last six games; under is 8-6 in their last 14 games. White Sox hit seven HRs but lost Saturday, only third team to do that. Ever.

Astros @ Royals
Fister is 4-0, 1.71 in his last four starts; six of his last seven road starts stayed under.

Kennedy is 1-3, 7.25 in his last four starts; over is 3-1-2 in his last six.

Astros won nine of last ten games; under is 12-4 in last 16 Houston games. Kansas City lost its last four games; over is 11-3-1 in Royals' last 15 home games.

A's @ Angels
Gray is 0-1, 3.65 in four starts since coming off DL; over is 8-2-1 in his last 11 starts. .

Santiago is 1-0, 1.46 in his last two starts; six of his last seven went over.

Angels are 5-14 in their last 19 games; eight of their last nine home games went over. Oakland won four of last five games; under is 5-3-1 in their last nine games.

Interleague

Cardinals @ Mariners
Garcia is 3-0, 1.24 in his last five starts, four of which stayed under.

Paxton is 1-3, 5.46 in his five starts (under 3-2).

Cardinals lost seven of last ten games; seven of last ten St Louis games stayed under. Seattle lost six of last eight games; six of last eight Mariner games stayed under.

Teams won-lost records when this pitcher starts:

LA-Pitt-- Kershaw 14-1; Kuhl 0-0
SD-Cin-- Perdomo 3-1; DeSclafani 2-1
Chi-Mia-- Hammel 9-5 (0-3 last 3); Fernandez 10-4
NY-Atl-- Colon 9-5 (4-0 last 4); Norris 4-5
Wsh-Mil-- Roark 7-8; Nelson 7-8 (0-4 last 4)
Az-Col-- Corbin 6-9; Bettis 8-7
Phil-SF-- Nola 7-8; Cueto 13-2

TB-Balt-- Smyly 6-8; Wilson 5-6
Min-NY-- Duffey 3-8; Eovaldi 8-6
Clev-Det-- Tomlin 11-2; Verlander 9-6 (4-0 last 4)
Bos-Tex-- Buchholz 3-8; Perez 8-7 (6-0 last 6)
Tor-Chi-- Stroman 8-7; Sale 12-3
Hst-KC-- Fister 11-3; Kennedy 8-6
A's-LA-- Gray 5-8; Santiago 9-6

StL-Sea-- Garcia 7-7; Paxton 1-4

Starting pitchers allowing 1+ runs in first inning:

LA-Pitt-- Kershaw 2-15; Kuhl 0-0
SD-Cin-- Perdomo 3-4; DeSclafani 1-3
Chi-Mia-- Hammel 3-14; Fernandez 3-14
NY-Atl-- Colon 4-13; Norris 2-9
Wsh-Mil-- Roark 3-15; Nelson 4-15
Az-Col-- Corbin 7-15; Bettis 6-15
Phil-SF-- Nola 7-15; Cueto 4-15

TB-Balt-- Smyly 3-14; Wilson 5-11
Min-NY-- Duffey 3-11; Eovaldi 3-14
Clev-Det-- Tomlin 7-13; Verlander 6-15
Bos-Tex-- Buchholz 5-11; Perez 5-15
Tor-Chi-- Stroman 4-15; Sale 4-15
Hst-KC-- Fister 3-14; Kennedy 4-14
A's-LA-- Gray 2-13; Santiago 8-15

StL-Sea-- Garcia 4-14; Paxton 1-5

Umpires

LA-Pitt-- Seven of last nine Conroy games went over.
SD-Cin-- Last three Cuzzi games stayed under the total.
Chi-Mia-- Underdogs won six of last seven Hirschbeck games.
NY-Atl-- Under is 4-1-1 in last six Everitt games.
Wsh-Mil-- Six of last eight Estabrook games stayed under.
Az-Col-- Last five Kellogg games stayed under total.
Phil-SF-- Underdogs won three of last five Eddings games.

TB-Balt-- Over is 7-3-1 in last eleven Diaz games.
Min-NY-- Over is 5-1-1 in last seven Vanover games.
Clev-Det-- Three of last four Reynolds games stayed under.
Bos-Tex-- Favorites won seven of last eight Cederstrom games.
Tor-Chi-- Four of last five Barksdale games stayed under.
Hst-KC-- Over is 8-3-1 in last twelve Danley games.
A's-LA-- Over is 7-0-1 in last eight Wolcott games.

StL-Sea-- Underdogs are 6-5 in last 11 Torres games.

Tokens
StatFox Super Situations

MLB | HOUSTON at KANSAS CITY
Play On - Home teams (KANSAS CITY) excellent defensive catchers - allowing <=0.35 SB's/game on the season against opponent with a hot starting pitcher- ERA less than 2.50 over his last 3 starts
382-248 since 1997. ( 60.6% | 113.3 units )
23-22 this year. ( 51.1% | 1.3 units )

StatFox Situational Power Trends

MLB | ARIZONA at COLORADO
ARIZONA is 40-26 (+22.4 Units) against the money line in Road games as a road underdog of +100 to +150 over the last 2 seasons.
The average score was: ARIZONA (4.5) , OPPONENT (3.9)

Tokens
Sunday's six-pack

-- Brewers 6, Nationals 5-- Washington has lost seven games in a row.

-- PGA Tour cancelled the tournament at Greenbrier in West Virginia due to heavy flooding in the West Virginia area. Tourney was scheduled for July 7-10.

-- adidas is pressuring clients Jason Day/Dustin Johnson to confirm for the Rio Olympics; there are worries that most of the big-name guys will be no shows.

-- Indians 6, Tigers 0-- Tribe hasn't lost since Cavaliers won the NBA title.

-- Pete Rose was (finally) inducted into the Reds' Hall of Fame last night.

-- Blue Jays 10, White Sox 88-- Pale Hose became third team ever to hit seven HRs in one game and still lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toyatang41
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com