Saturday 12/3/16 service plays chatter/comps/requests & other stuff...

Search
Tokens
Preview: Nets (5-13) at Bucks (9-8)

Date: December 03, 2016 5:00 PM EDT

MILWAUKEE -- Less than 48 hours after falling just short of a triple-double in a Milwaukee Bucks' victory at Brooklyn, Giannis Antetokounmpo will get another crack at Brooklyn when the Bucks play the back end of a home-and-home series Saturday afternoon at the Bradley Center.

Antetokounmpo scored 23 points, grabbed eight rebounds and dished out eight assists in 30 minutes of work. Milwaukee was in such control of the contest -- ultimately, a 19-point victory -- that he didn't take the floor in the third quarter.

"It's a long season," Antetokounmpo said. "It doesn't matter for me. The only thing that matters is to get the win. We play them (the Nets) again in two days so they made a great decision sitting me in the fourth quarter because we've got to get the win again in two days. It's a must-win game again."

It's no coincidence that as Antetokounmpo gets hot, so have the Bucks. Milwaukee has won three in a row and four of its last five games.

The Bucks are averaging 111.0 points, 48.0 rebounds, 24.7 assists, 9.7 steals and 7.3 blocks per game over that stretch and shooting 48.8 percent from the field and knocking down an average of 10 3-pointers per contest.

"I think we got the ball moving, but it all starts with our defense," Bucks coach Jason Kidd said.

The Bucks held Brooklyn to 38.2 percent shooting and a 12-for-40 showing from behind the arc.

"We couldn't pierce their defense," Nets coach Kenny Atkinson said. "They kept us in front and they would switch it and keep you there and kept us on the perimeter. I would like to see how many rim attempts we got, but I don't think we converted at a high rate. So credit to their defense, they are a good defensive team and they were tough to score on tonight."

Brooklyn also committed 17 turnovers in the loss to Milwaukee, continuing a season-long problem. The Nets are third in the league in turnovers this season, averaging 16.5 per game.

"There is not one player where we are saying, 'Hey, you are turning it over all the time'," Atkinson said. "It's equal distribution, so our offense has to get better. Our execution has to get better."

Milwaukee has won 13 of the last 17 meetings, dating back to Jan. 9, 2013, and the first two meetings of this season's series.

Isaiah Whiteside wants to see that streak come to an end Saturday afternoon.

"I think they just wanted it more than us," said Whiteside, who scored 14 points with six rebounds and four assists against the Bucks Thursday. "We just have to come out with more of a sense of urgency on defense and get stops instead of leaving easy buckets, and I think they basically did what we were supposed to do.

"We need go to their place and we really just play with a chip on our shoulder and come out with a win."

Tokens
Preview: Timberwolves (5-14) at Hornets (11-8)

Date: December 03, 2016 7:00 PM EDT

The Charlotte Hornets are hoping to continue surging against the floundering Minnesota Timberwolves when the two teams square off Saturday at Charlotte's Spectrum Center.

After a four-game losing streak ended a week ago, the Hornets have won three of their last four games to boost their record to 11-8. Charlotte is in the midst of a stretch in which it plays five of six games at home -- and seemed to have found some flash from 7-2 center Roy Hibbert in a 97-87 victory over Dallas on Thursday.

Hibbert hit 5-of-7 attempts for 11 points against the Mavericks with four rebounds and two blocks in 17 minutes. He missed five games at the start of the season for right knee soreness, but Hornets coach Steve Clifford called his performance against Dallas one of his top two outings of the season.

"I'm not 100 percent yet, but I'm getting there," Hibbert told reporters after the Dallas victory. "It's come slower than I would have liked, but it's a long season."

While Hibbert continues to work out kinks, the Hornets have continued to rely most upon Kemba Walker. The point guard hit two 3-pointers in the final four minutes to help seal the triumph over the Mavericks.

Walker leads Charlotte with 23.9 points per game, and his average of 24.4 points per game in November set a franchise record for that month.

Forward Marvin Williams has missed the last four games with a hyperextended left knee, and is expected to be out until next week, Clifford said.

The Timberwolves, meanwhile, are hoping to bounce back from back-to-back losses to the New York Knicks. In all, Minnesota has lost its last four games, and seven of the last eight games. They dropped to 5-14 with Friday's loss.

Zach LaVine led the Wolves with 23 points in their 118-114 loss to the Knicks. Karl-Anthony Towns added 20 points while Andrew Wiggins chipped in 19.

"The thing about them is they have so many talented scorers who can have big nights," Hornets center Cody Zeller said. "We have to come out and play defense right from the start and not really let them get into a flow."

Minnesota will be trying to snap its losing streak on the second night of a back-to-back. The Timberwolves are 2-1 in such games this season.

A hopeful spot of late was Towns' performance Wednesday in a 106-104 loss to the Knicks. The 7-foot center had 47 points and 18 rebounds in the loss, numbers that set historic marks.

Since 1963-64, only three players have scored 47 points or more at a younger age than the 21-year-old Towns -- Brandon Jennings, LeBron James and Kevin Durant. He also joined Kevin Garnett and Kevin Love as the only other Wolves to have a game with at last 45 points and 15 rebounds.

"It was a monster game," Wolves coach Tom Thibodeau told reporters. "It's unfortunate that we couldn't pull out the win."

Tokens
Preview: Hawks (10-10) at Raptors (13-6)

Date: December 03, 2016 7:30 PM EDT

TORONTO -- The Toronto Raptors are hot, the Atlanta Hawks are not.

The teams meet Saturday night at Air Canada Centre with the Raptors trying to extend their season-best five-game winning streak and the Hawks attempting to stop a five-game losing streak.

The Raptors led all the way Friday night in defeating the Los Angeles Lakers 113-80 at the ACC and the Hawks lost to the Detroit Pistons 121-85 at Philips Arena.

The Raptors (13-6) will be playing the fourth game of a season-long six-game homestand at the ACC, where they are 7-3 this season.

The Hawks (10-10) have lost eight of their past nine games, with the only win coming Nov. 23 at Indiana to the Pacers.

They were 9-2 and tied for the Eastern Conference lead after defeating the Milwaukee Bucks on Nov. 16.

Dennis Schroder had 17 points and 13 assists for the Hawks on Friday. Tim Hardaway Jr. and Mike Muscala each scored 11.

The Raptors likely will have forward DeMarre Carroll back in the lineup. His playing time is being monitored as he entered the season coming off knee surgery.

Carroll was rested Friday night to avoid playing him in back-to-back games with Norman Powell replacing him and responding with 16 points and seven rebounds.

It was not certain which game Carroll would miss.Powell said after the game that he found out during the shootaround on Friday.

"From there, it was just preparing and getting focused on who I'm guarding and what the team wants me to do defensively to take them out of what they are trying to run," Powell said.

"He'd been a professional young man," Raptors coach Dwane Casey said after Friday's game. "He puts the work in at game tempo, usually when guys are not playing they kind of go through the motions, feel sorry for themselves. But this young man comes in every day, puts in the work, puts in the time, keeps a positive attitude, understands the situation when winning and is just waiting his turn.

"Just like last year, he was in the D-League for a while and came in and helps us win a (playoff) series. He understands, a mature young man, and I can't say enough good things about him."

He will understand if he does not start Saturday.

In the Raptors' romp past the Lakers, Kyle Lowry again led the way with 24 points. DeMar DeRozan had 16 points as he receives extra attention after a blistering start.

Meanwhile, against the Pistons, Dwight Howard had his worst game with the Hawks, scoring only two points and grabbing six rebounds.

"We've got to stay positive," Howard said. "This little thing we are going through now, even though we don't want to, I think it's best we are going through it now and not at the end of the season.

"All the things we need to clean up, offensively and defensively, are being exposed right now. It gives us time to work on it. So come playoff time and later on in the season, we'll have all that down pat.

"The best thing we can do now is not hold our heads, keep positive, speak life into the situation and keep pushing."

Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer is obviously not happy with the offense.

"We are not getting the looks that we need to get," he said. "Then I think it puts a lot of pressure when you do get a good look. There is more of a priority, more of a need, to make those good ones.

"The game gets hard that way. You want to be free-flowing. I don't think we are getting enough good possessions to make those good looks flow right."

Tokens
Preview: Celtics (11-8) at 76ers (4-15)

Date: December 03, 2016 7:30 PM EDT

Al Horford might finally be hitting his stride for the Boston Celtics, who open a three-game road trip against the Joel Embiid-less Philadelphia 76ers on Saturday night.

Horford signed a four-year, $113 million free agent contract with the Celtics in the offseason and on Friday scored a season-high 26 points as Boston held off the Sacramento Kings 97-92.

Horford, who spent his first nine seasons with Atlanta, made 10 of 18 shots from the floor (including 4-of-7 from 3-point range). He added eight rebounds and six blocked shots, another season high. It was also one shy of his career high.

The biggest of the six came on a 3-point attempt by Sacramento center DeMarcus Cousins in the closing seconds. The Kings trailed just 95-92 at the time, and Cousins attempted to bait Horford into a foul, to no avail. He swatted the shot, recovered the loose ball and hit the two clinching free throws with 4.8 seconds remaining.

"I know he tried to draw something there," Horford told the Boston Globe, "but I just stayed solid and did not let him get a shot off."

Horford has appeared in just nine games this season for Boston (11-8). He missed nine others while in the concussion protocol, and also skipped Monday's victory over Miami so he could be with his wife, Amelia Vega, as she gave birth to the couple's second child, a daughter named Alia.

Horford managed just five shots while scoring nine points in more than 31 minutes of Wednesday's loss to Detroit but asserted himself Friday.

"He wanted to come out and be aggressive," Celtics forward Jae Crowder told the Globe. "We wanted to give him the ball, get him some touches early."

Crowder has appeared in 11 games to date, having missed eight with a sprained left ankle.

With the lineup in a state of flux most of the season, Boston's guards have excelled. Isaiah Thomas is averaging 25.7 points per game, including 20 on Friday against Sacramento, and Avery Bradley is generating 17.6. He scored 16 against the Kings.

Philadelphia (4-15) shot just 37.9 percent from the floor in Friday's 105-88 loss to Orlando, the Sixers' fifth straight defeat. They had not played since losing Monday night in Toronto but trailed by as many as 29 points in losing to the Magic, who the night before frittered away a 13-point lead in the last 6:12 while losing in Memphis.

"Sometimes you read so much into back-to-backs," Philadelphia coach Brett Brown said. "You assume people are tired or depressed, because they lost at the buzzer. I give them credit. They came in and played with great energy. I don't know how to explain that."

Embiid, the rookie center, piled up 25 points and 10 rebounds for the Sixers. He will not play against the Celtics, however. The team is not using him in back-to-back games, as he is playing his first season after missing two after two foot surgeries.

Veteran guard Jerryd Bayless also missed his third straight game with a sore left wrist Friday, and forward Robert Covington left in the fourth quarter with a sprained left knee. The status of both is in question for Saturday's game.

Tokens
Preview: Lakers (10-11) at Grizzlies (12-8)

Date: December 03, 2016 8:00 PM EDT

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- All eyes will be on the teams' medical staffs when the Los Angeles Lakers and the Memphis Grizzlies collide Saturday at FedExForum in Memphis.

The trainers and doctors for both teams have been working overtime and, because of injuries, the challenges facing both first-year coaches have intensified to new extremes.

Recently, it's been a game of attrition for coaches Luke Walton and David Fizdale, whose rosters look more like M*A*S*H units these days.

Los Angeles' starting backcourt will be in street clothes when the Lakers play their fourth game in five nights -- all on the road.

Already without D'Angelo Russell, who will be out for at least another week, the Lakers played and lost by 33 points on Friday night to Toronto minus Nick Young. Young suffered a strained right calf muscle in the loss to the Pelicans in New Orleans on Tuesday and will be out from two to four weeks.

"I felt like we weren't mentally ready to compete against one of the better teams in the NBA," Walton said after his team trailed wire-to-wire.

But no one with the Grizzlies will be feeling sorry for the Lakers because as Memphis sees it, it's the Nasty Nine versus the world.

That's how Fizdale characterized the undermanned Grizzlies after they lost earlier in the week to Toronto.

James Ennis, Brandan Wright, Chandler Parsons, Vince Carter, Zach Randolph and Mike Conley. None of the above played in a loss to Toronto or in a 95-94 win against Orlando on Thursday.

And they won't be suiting up against the Lakers either.

Beating the Magic with just the "Nasty Nine" was impressive, and accomplished thanks to a nice blend of veterans and younger players.

Marc Gasol picked up the offensive slack for Memphis (12-8) with 25 points, five blocks and three assists.

But it was the play of Tony Allen that snatched victory out of the jaws of defeat as Memphis was down by 14 points in the fourth quarter. The veteran swingman fueled a 13-0 run with his trademark chaos on defense, earning the praise of his teammate Gasol and his coach.

"That's his job, and he's very good at it," Gasol said.

Added Fizdale: "He just took over that game defensively."

Allen scored only nine points, but had three steals -- all in the fourth quarter -- and six boards and did what he typically does -- disrupt the other team's offensive flow.

Magic coach Frank Vogel joined the chorus saying Allen was the difference. "Credit his energy. He just made a lot of hustle plays that turned the game around."

Another veteran came to the Grizzlies' rescue -- Troy Daniels -- who came off the bench to score 19 points.

With Conley out, second-year point guard Andrew Harrison has elevated his game and he chipped in 11 points with a game-best eight assists.

The Lakers (10-11) are fueled by youth and it figures they are going to take their lumps even with the Walton pedigree leading the charge.

"I just felt like we played soft all game," said Julius Randle, who had eight points and eight rebounds against Toronto. "They were just comfortable from the start."

One bright spot for Walton and the Lakers was the play of rookie Brandon Ingram, who led the team with 17 points. Ingram was making his second straight start in place of Young. He also had six boards and two assists.

"I thought he did a great job of being aggressive tonight and mixing up getting to the rim and taking his jump shots," Walton said. "He was very solid for us tonight."

Ingram's effort was a welcome sight. The former Duke Blue Devil has struggled, averaging only 7.7 points per game. His shooting has been abysmal, 35.6 percent from the field and 28.6 percent from 3-point range.

Tokens
Preview: Bulls (11-7) at Mavericks (3-15)

Date: December 03, 2016 8:30 PM EDT

DALLAS -- After back-to-back losses to drop an NBA-worst 3-15, the Dallas Mavericks are grasping for any positives heading into Saturday night's game against the visiting Chicago Bulls.

So despite dropping successive games to San Antonio and Charlotte, the injury-riddled Mavs are focusing on the fact that they were competitive against the Spurs and Hornets. It's not the kind of thing a franchise like Dallas, which has made playoff appearances in 15 of the last 16 seasons, is used to doing, but right now they have little choice.

"Look, it's a 48-minute game and good starts are a very important part to winning in this league, but one thing I like is if we get off to a slow start, our guys don't get discouraged," Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said following Thursday's 97-87 loss to the Hornets. "They keep battling. Guys are battling. We're hanging in, we're giving ourselves a chance, but we've got to work through this period and get these guys fully healthy. You know, get these guys full speed and full minutes, and our chances will be much greater."

Dallas will again be without star Dirk Nowitzki (sore right Achilles tendon), who has played in just five games this season. He will miss his fourth consecutive game after making his long-awaited return, which lasted just two games. Guards Deron Williams and Devin Harris are back, but both remain on minutes restrictions. Guard J.J. Barea (calf) remains and guard Seth Curry (knee) could play after missing Thursday's game at Charlotte.

Meanwhile, the retooled Bulls are playing some intriguing basketball with hometown hero Dwyane Wade leading the way. The former Miami Heat superstar put up 24 points, five rebounds, four assists and a couple steals in Friday night's impressive 111-105 home win against Wade's former teammate LeBron James and his newly crowned Cleveland Cavaliers.

Wade is now just four assists shy of recording 5,000 for his career. Only seven players have managed that since 1984, with one being James.

The big win saw Chicago improve to 11-7 to start the season under second-year coach Fred Hoiberg. However, Dallas won't have to face its nemesis Wade. Hoiberg said Wade won't make the trip with the Bulls in a four-games-in-five-nights situation.

Chicago has other weapons. Against Cleveland, the Bulls, who rank 13th overall in scoring at just under 105 points a game, had four starters score in double figures against Cleveland and three had more than 20 points with all-everything Jimmy Butler going for 26 points, eight rebounds, five assists, three steals, two blocks and a single turnover in 41 minutes.

Veteran point guard Rajon Rondo was spectacular with a triple-double of 15 points on 7-of-12 shooting, 12 assists, 11 rebounds, plus three steals.

"I thought Rondo was great all night long," Hoiberg said after Friday's win. "You could hear him yelling 'Run with me' to all the guys all game."

Now, even had Wade been available, they head into a game that could easily fall into the trap category in that it's the second game in consecutive nights, coming off an emotional contest followed by a dreary eyed arrival into Dallas. If the Bulls can get wins on back-to-back nights it sets it would end a win-lose flip flop dating back to Nov. 19.

Chicago won't want to let one get away to a three-win team either considering the difficult three-game stretch ahead against Portland and Detroit on back-to-back nights followed by a visit from the road-perfect San Antonio Spurs two nights later.

Tokens
Preview: Nuggets (7-12) at Jazz (11-9)

Date: December 03, 2016 9:00 PM EDT

SALT LAKE CITY -- Injuries are becoming an early season broken record for the Utah Jazz. With Rodney Hood and George Hill sitting out on Thursday night because of injuries, Jazz coach Quin Snyder trotted out his 11th different starting lineup in 20 games.

Something more disconcerting than an endless slew of injuries surfaced for Utah in a 111-110 loss to Miami on Thursday. The Jazz interior defense suffered a rare breakdown over 48 minutes.

Utah (11-9) allowed 64 points in the paint, the most it has given up to any opponent this season. It ultimately negated a franchise-record 17 made 3-pointers for the Jazz and a season-high 32 points from forward Gordon Hayward.

Snyder suggested his team was too soft and lackadaisical when it counted after allowing the Heat to do whatever they wanted around the basket.

"You can point to certain things but, by the time we woke up defensively, it was late and we had to expend a lot of energy," Snyder said. "You put yourself in a tough position. We lacked physicality critically in the first half."

With Hood and Hill both unlikely to play again when the Denver Nuggets return to Salt Lake City on Saturday, the Jazz need to solve this new defensive puzzle. Utah is definitely capable of reasserting itself on defense. The Jazz have held eight opponents under 90 points this season -- the most of any NBA team.

The Nuggets are rowing a similar defensive boat at the moment. Denver could do nothing to contain Houston's offense in a 128-110 loss to the Rockets on Friday night. Seven different Houston players scored in double figures, led by James Harden with 20 points. The Rockets shot 49 percent from the field and had 26 assists on 45 baskets.

It's been a recurring theme for the Nuggets. Denver (7-12) has held just four opponents under 100 points this season and has allowed 115.8 points per game over its last six games. It has lost four times in its last five contests.

"I don't even know what to say," Nuggets coach Michael Malone said. "It's one thing to lose games, but when you're outworked on your home floor -- Miami did it, Houston did it -- I have no explanation."

Utah is one of those teams who mined the Nuggets for tons of points over 48 minutes. The Jazz beat the Nuggets 108-83 just 10 days ago in Hill's first game back after missing eight games with a sprained thumb. Hill and Hayward each finished with 22 points while Rudy Gobert added 19 points and 13 rebounds for his eighth double-double of the season.

Just like Utah, Denver is dealing with its own injury issues heading into Salt Lake City. Forward Nikola Jokic did not play against Houston on Friday. Jokic sat out with a sore wrist. He is currently day-to-day and there is no timetable for his return. Will Barton returned to the lineup against the Rockets on Friday after missing 12 of the last 15 games with an ankle injury.

Tokens
Preview: Heat (7-12) at Trail Blazers (10-10)

Date: December 03, 2016 10:00 PM EDT

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Erik Spoelstra knows what it's like to win NBA championships (twice) and what it's like to miss the playoffs.

While the Miami Heat aren't in position to soon claim another NBA title, Spoelstra would like to think they're heading in the right direction.

"It's been an up-and-down season, but I really like this group we have," said the ninth-year head coach, whose Heat are 7-12 but won two in a row heading into Saturday night's matchup with the Portland Trail Blazers at Moda Center. "We have a lot of talented, exciting young players (with whom) we're building and developing our Heat culture.

"We knew what we were getting into at the start the season (with the loss of Dwyane Wade). The record isn't what we want it to be, but that hasn't tempered the optimism or excitement about the group moving forward."

Miami -- which is 5-4 in its last nine games after a 2-8 start -- ranks on the low end in the NBA in most offensive categories, including scoring (28th), field-goal percentage (27th), 3-point percentage (25th) and free-throw percentage (30th). The Heat are improving, though, averaging 107 points the past four games, including a 111-110 win at Utah on Thursday night.

"It has taken a little bit of time with the offense," Spoelstra told the Portland Tribune. "The guys are getting more comfortable, more confident."

Center Hassan Whiteside ranks among the top 10 in the league in rebounds (first, 15.1), blocked shots (third, 2.56) and field-goal percentage (.559, ninth) while averaging a team-high 17.7 points.

"I've really enjoyed watching Hassan embrace the responsibility of being a great player," Spoelstra said. "What he's learning now is the responsibility on all levels to impact winning. That's with a commitment every single day to attention to detail, work ethic and mental approach that the entire locker room sees."

The Trail Blazers' offense was in high gear in a 131-109 victory over Indiana Wednesday night. But it was improved effort at the defensive end the players wanted to talk about.

"When we play well defensively -- when we fly around, have active hands, get deflections -- we can get out and run," said point guard Damian Lillard, who ranks sixth in the NBA in scoring with a 28.2-point average. "It shows the kind of shots we can get and the kind of game we can play."

Portland (10-10) reached a season high in points going up against an Indiana team that came in leading the league in steals (9.6) and opponents' turnovers (16.9), was second in opponents' 3-point percentage (.328) and third in blocked shots (6.2). Against the Blazers, the Pacers had three steals, forced seven turnovers, allowed the Blazers to shoot .375 from 3-point range and blocked four shots. The seven giveaways were a season low for Portland.

"When you have a game with seven turnovers against a team like that, it shows you can in with the right mentality," Lillard told the Portland Tribune.

Tokens
Preview: Suns (6-13) at Warriors (16-3)

Date: December 03, 2016 10:30 PM EDT

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Golden State Warriors showed their vulnerability when they dropped a 132-127 double-overtime thriller to the Houston Rockets on Thursday night.

Unfortunately for Saturday's opponent, the Phoenix Suns, now the Warriors get another opportunity to demonstrate their invincibility.

Golden State will put its NBA-record streak of not having lost consecutive regular-season games (105) on the line Saturday when they face the Suns for the third time this season.

The Warriors have lost only three times this season. The first two times, they rebounded with 122-114 and 116-106 victories, both over the New Orleans Pelicans.

The last time Golden State had a two-game losing streak was April 5-7, 2015. They've played the Suns six times since then, and won all six.

But the most recent win didn't come easy.

In fact, the Suns led 111-106 in the fourth quarter in Oakland before Klay Thompson buried a pair of 3-pointers and three free throws during a 27-9 finish that produced a 133-120 victory.

That was Golden State's fourth straight win after its Nov. 4 loss to the Los Angeles. The Warriors extended that winning streak to 12 games before Thursday's nail-biter.

The Nov. 13 win over Phoenix also extended the Warriors' streak of regular-season games without consecutive losses to 96, breaking the record of 95 that was set by the Utah Jazz bridging the 1997-98 and 1998-99 seasons.

"It's really a remarkable achievement," Warriors coach Steve Kerr said at the time. "Everybody is going to lose games in this league. How you respond to those losses says a lot about your team."

The Suns responded well to a two-game home losing streak with an impressive 109-107 win over the Atlanta Hawks on Wednesday.

Phoenix once again demonstrated an improved defense in the win. Once statistically the worst defense in the league, the Suns allowed 107 or fewer points for the fifth time in their last seven games, a stretch during which their league ranking has improved two spots.

If the Suns are concerned about an aspect of their game now, it's ball distribution. Phoenix actually had more turnovers (17) than assists (15) in the Atlanta win.

Now they're up against arguably the best passing team in the NBA. While the Suns rank second-to-last in the league in assists per game (18.3), the Warriors are first (31.3).

In fact, Golden State recorded 30 or more assists in 10 straight games earlier this season, just three off the NBA record of 13 in a row.

The Suns haven't had a single game higher than 27 this season. In fact, they've failed to accumulate even 20 assists in 12 of their 19 games.

"We have to play more team basketball," Suns veteran Jared Dudley expressed to reporters at practice Friday. "We have to average 18 to 20 assists to give us a chance, because right now we're not a great shooting team."

The Warriors have held 27-19 and 32-27 assist advantages over the Suns in the two earlier meetings this season.

Tokens
Free NBA Picks: Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016, Opening Line Report and Handicapping
by Alan Matthews

The Brooklyn Nets stink and with probably the least-talented roster in the NBA and their next two first-round draft picks owed to the Boston Celtics in one form or another, they are going to stink for a while. So why not take a shot on a solid restricted free agent even if the other team matches? That's apparently going to be the case as the Nets are set to sign Houston forward Donatas Motiejunas to an offer sheet. The Rockets and the Lithuanian have been at a contract impasse all season and the team recently pulled its best offer so he hasn't played this year. The 26-year-old 7-footer has had some injury problems but showed promise in 2014-15 when he played 71 games and averaged 12.0 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.0 assists. Houston would then have three days to match any offer, but the Nets are so far under the cap that they can set up an offer that the Rockets probably couldn't match. Brooklyn struck out this offseason in signing Miami's Tyler Johnson and Portland's Allen Crabbe to offer sheets as those teams matched. I'm not saying Motiejunas would help the Nets win many more games, but he should make them a bit more competitive if it happens.

Nets at Bucks (-10.5, 215.5)

Second of a home-and-home between the teams. Milwaukee won a third straight game on Thursday at the Nets, 111-93. Giannis Antetokounmpo had 23 points, eight rebounds and eight assists, and Jabari Parker scored 22 points. Brooklyn was probably still a bit flat off its upset double-OT win over the Clippers on Tuesday as the Nets failed to win back-to-back games for the first time this season. They have lost six in a row to Milwaukee.

Key trends: The Nets are 4-9 against the spread in their past 13 in Milwaukee. The "over/under" is 8-3 in the past 11 meetings.

Early lean: Nets (hard to sweep a home-and-home) and over.

Timberwolves at Hornets (-7, 206)

Minnesota was at the Knicks on Friday. Charlotte beat visiting Dallas 97-87 on Thursday. Kemba Walker had 18 points in an ugly one. But the Hornets bench contributed 46 points. They are 8-0 in games in which they've limited their opponent to fewer than 100 points this season. Charlotte has won six in a row in this series after winning in Minneapolis on Nov. 15, 115-108. Walker had 30 for Charlotte. Andrew Wiggins led Minnesota with 29 points. The Hornets have won the past four at home in the series as well.

Key trends: The favorite is 4-1 ATS in the past five meetings. The under is 4-1 in the past five in Charlotte.

Early lean: Hornets and under.

Hawks at Raptors (TBA)

Toronto hosted the Lakers on Friday. The Raptors are still resting forward DeMarre Carroll in one half of a back-to-back so he either sits Friday or this game. I would think Carroll would want to play here against his former team if he has a say. Atlanta hosted Detroit on Friday with Paul Millsap questionable. The Hawks lost the first three meetings with Toronto last year each by at least eight points but won the finale by eight at home.

Key trends: The Hawks are 1-5 ATS in their past six in Toronto. The under is 5-1 in the past six meetings.

Early lean: Raptors and under regardless if they play all their guys but Carroll.

Celtics at 76ers (TBA)

Boston hosted Sacramento on Friday and Philadelphia was home to Orlando. Sixers rookie star Joel Embiid isn't playing back-to-backs yet so he'll sit one of the two out -- probably this one. Jerryd Bayless (left wrist soreness) didn't play Friday and is questionable for Saturday. You still hear some rumors of a possible trade between these teams as the Sixers have too many big men and want to trade either Nerlens Noel or Jahlil Okafor. The Celtics could use another post presence and are loaded with guards, which Philly badly needs. Boston swept the Sixers last year and only one was close.

Key trends: The Celtics are 7-1 ATS in the past eight meetings. The under is 6-1 in Boston's past seven road games.

Early lean: Celtics and under regardless.

Lakers at Grizzlies (+1, 205)

Los Angeles was in Toronto on Friday. Memphis ended a two-game losing streak with a 95-94 home win over Orlando on Thursday. Marc Gasol scored 25 points, including a pair of free throws with 12.2 seconds remaining as the Grizzlies rallied from a 14-point fourth-quarter deficit. Memphis dressed only nine players. You know Mike Conley is out around six weeks. Vince Carter, James Ennis, Chandler Parsons and Brandan Wright were all out hurt. Zach Randolph is away from the team after his mother died. Memphis has won the past five at home against the Lakers.

Key trends: The home team is 5-2 ATS in the past seven. The over is 4-1 in the previous five in Memphis.

Early lean: Lakers and over.

Bulls at Mavericks (+7, 188.5)

Potential letdown game for Chicago after hosting rival Cleveland on Friday. Might Dwyane Wade get this game off? He will occasionally get the second of a back-to-back off. Dallas lost 97-87 in Charlotte on Thursday. Wesley Matthews was just 1-for-11 from 3-point range. Deron Williams did not play down the stretch in the fourth quarter because he was on a minutes restriction on the second night of a back-to-back. Dallas swept Chicago last year for the first time since the 2009-10 season. The Mavs have won 14 of the past 18 at home vs. the Bulls.

Key trends: The underdog is 4-1 ATS in the past five meetings. The under is 8-3 in the previous 11.

Early lean: Mavs and under.

Nuggets at Jazz (TBA)

NBA TV game. Denver hosted Houston on Friday. Utah's four-game winning streak ended in a 111-110 home loss to Miami on Thursday. The Jazz had the ball with 3.9 seconds remaining and Gordon Hayward missed a contested midrange jumper before time expired. Hayward had a season-high 32 points and Utah made a franchise-record 17 3-pointers. George Hill and Rodney Hood both sat with injuries and are questionable here. Already the third meeting between Utah and Denver. They have split double-digit wins, each doing so at home.

Key trends: The favorite is 8-1 ATS in the past nine meetings. The under is 5-0 in the past five in Utah.

Early lean: Wait on Jazz duo.

Heat at Trail Blazers (-6.5, 209.5)

Miami won a second straight road game Thursday, 111-110 in Utah. Goran Dragic had 27 points and James Johnson a season-high 24. Josh Richardson and Dion Waiters both sat again and won't play here. Portland routed visiting Indiana 131-109 on Wednesday. Damian Lillard had 28 points and 10 assists and Maurice Harkless 23 points. Portland and Miami have split the season series in each of the past two years, with the teams winning both games on their home court.

Key trends: The home team is 4-0 ATS in the past four. The over is 12-1 in Portland's previous 13 at home.

Early lean: Blazers and over.

Suns at Warriors (-16.5, 228.5)

Phoenix upset visiting Atlanta 109-107 on Wednesday. Brandon Knight scored 23 points off the bench and Phoenix reserves combined for 54. Forward T.J. Warren missed a sixth straight game with a head injury. When I looked at Thursday's Rockets-Warriors game, I mentioned it wouldn't surprise me if those two teams each scored at least 130 points. I was just off as Golden State lost 132-127 in double overtime to snap its 12-game winning streak. Steph Curry fouled out early in the second OT. The teams combined for an NBA-record 88 3-point attempts. Draymond Green had 20 points, 15 rebounds and nine assists but did get a Flagrant-1 foul for one of his patented kicks -- it played a crucial role in double OT. I don't think he'll be suspended. Golden State is 2-0 vs. Phoenix this year and has won the past nine meetings. That ties the longest streak for either side in this series.

Key trends: The Suns are 4-0 ATS in the past four meetings. The over is 5-2 in the past seven.

Early lean: Suns (cover not win obviously) and over.

Tokens
NBA

Saturday’s games

Brooklyn lost eight of last nine games, is 1-4-1 vs spread in its last six road games. Over is 8-2 in Brooklyn’s last ten games. Milwaukee beat the Nets by 18 in Brooklyn Thursday, its 4th win in last five games. Bucks are 2-3 as home favorites. Over is 8-2 in their home games. Bucks won their last six games with Brooklyn (7-1-1 vs spread last nine series); Nets lost last four visits to Milwaukee, by 6-23-8-2 points (1-3 vs spread). Over is 7-3 in last ten series games.

Minnesota just lost twice to Knicks by 2-4 points; they’ve lost seven of last eight games, are 2-3 as road underdogs. Three of Wolves last four games went over total. Charlotte won three of last four games, is 0-5 vs spread (2-3 SU) in last five home games. Hornets won eight of last nine games with Minnesota, covered five of last six; Timberwolves lost last four visits here, by 1-12-25-5 points. Four of last six series games stayed under total.

Hawks lost last five games, losing by 36 at home last night to Detroit. Atlanta is 4-7 vs spread on road, 2-3 as a road underdog. Nine of last 11 Atlanta games stayed under total. Raptors won/covered their last five games; they’re 7-2 as home favorites. Over is 10-2-1 in their last 13 games. Toronto won seven of last nine games with Atlanta, which lost four of last five visits north of the border (1-4 vs spread). Five of last six series games stayed under the total.

Celtics won/covered their last four road games; they’re 7-3 vs spread away from home, 4-1 as a road favorites. Under is 10-3 in their last 13 games. Philly lost its last lost its last five games (1-4 vs spread); they’re 8-4 as home underdogs. Over is 9-5 in 76ers’ last fourteen games. 76ers lost last eight games with Boston; four of last six series games went over total. Celtics won last four visits here, by 11-18-20-15 points.

Lakers lost four of last five road games, are 6-5 as road underdogs; their last five games stayed under total. Grizzlies are 2-3 in last five games, 2-5 vs spread in last seven home games. Three of last four Memphis games went over the total. Lakers lost nine of last ten games with Memphis, covering one of last four meetings. LA lost last five visits here, but went 3-2 vs spread in those games. Three of last four series games went over total.

Dwyane Wade (resting) didn’t make trip to Dallas; he didn’t look tired last night. Bulls beat the Cavaliers last night, are 7-3 in last ten games, covering six of last seven road games. Under is 5-2 in their last seven road games. Dallas lost 10 of last 11 games, is 1-3 as a home underdog. Last three Maverick games stayed under total. Mavericks won five of last seven games with Chicago; under is 7-3 in last ten series games. Bulls won two of last three visits to Dallas.

Nuggets lost four of last five games after getting ripped at home by Houston last night; Denver is* 5-3 as a road underdog. Over is 6-2-1 in their last nine games. Jazz won/covered four of last five games; they’re 4-5 vs spread at home, 3-4 as a favorite. Four of last five Utah games went over the total. Utah won six of last seven games with Denver; under is 9-1 in last ten series games. Nuggets lost last four visits to Salt Lake City (1-3 vs spread).

Miami won/covered its last three road games; they’re 6-3 as road underdogs. Last four Heat games went over the total. Trailblazers lost six of last nine games, are 5-2 SU in last seven home games- they’re 5-2 as home favorites. Last four Portland games went over total. Heat won five of last seven games with Portland; home side won seven of last eight in series. Miami lost by 16-17 points in last two visits here.

Golden State had its 12-game win streak snapped last game; they’re 3-6 as a home favorite this year, 0-4 in last four tries. Over is 5-1 in Warriors’ last six home games. Phoenix covered three of last four road games, is 7-3 as a road underdog. Under is 3-1 in their last four road games. Warriors won their last nine games with Phoenix but Suns covered last four; Phoenix lost last five visits here (3-2 vs spread) by 19-1-25-7-13 points. Over is 5-2 in last seven series games.

Tokens
Preview: UCLA Bruins (8-0) at Kentucky Wildcats (7-0)

Date: December 03, 2016 12:30 PM EDT

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Keeneland race course is traditionally Lexington's home to fast thoroughbreds, but the historic landmark will have to take a back seat to Rupp Arena on Saturday for an anticipated epic battle between college basketball titans Kentucky and UCLA.

No. 1 Kentucky is 7-0 and averages 95.6 points per game. The Wildcats topped 100 points in each of their last three games.

No. 11 UCLA is 8-0 and averages 97 points. Coach Steve Alford's Bruins scored more than 100 points in three of their first four games and 98 and 99 on two other occasions.

"Steve has done a great job with this team. He's really playing to their strengths, is what he's doing," Kentucky coach John Calipari said Friday. "When you watch them play, they play to this team's strengths. They're not trying to do stuff this team can't do. Their bigs can really shoot 15 footers. Their bigs can shoot some 3s, so they play that way."

But for all the mind-boggling offensive statistics, this game could be determined by the defenses, and that is where Kentucky holds an advantage.

UK gives up 65 points per game and holds opponents to 37.6 percent shooting. The Wildcats also force 19 turnovers per game.

UCLA, by contrast, surrenders 73 points and opposing teams shoot 39 percent. The Bruins force 13.4 turnovers.

"I think this is a shot-maker's game and if either team is not making shots, you'll be in trouble," Calipari said. "I doubt both teams are not making shots. So you just hope it's them and not you. Both are good-shooting teams, both have players that are able to go on runs. Score different ways. It's about making baskets. If you're missing baskets, missing shots, missing -- hard to win a game like this."

One fascinating sidebar to this game will be the battle of freshman point guards.

UCLA's Lonzo Ball was the No. 1-rated point guard in the Class of 2016 by 247Sports.com and is heralded by some recruiting analysts as the best passer in a generation. In his last game, a 98-56 win over UC-Riverside, the 6-foot-6 Ball set the school record for freshmen with 13 assists.

Kentucky's De'Aaron Fox was the No. 2-rated point guard. In his last game, a 115-69 rout of Arizona State in the Bahamas, the 6-3 Fox recorded the school's first triple-double since 1988 with 14 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists.

Ball, from Chino, Calif., has passing skills that are drawing comparisons to another California product, Jason Kidd. He has 77 assists to just 18 turnovers.

Fox is beyond heralded, by his coach John Calipari as possibly faster than another former Wildcat, John Wall. His assist-to-turnover numbers are 53-19.

"Ball is really good," Calipari said. "Like, he's big. He sees the court. He's OK to take no shots -- he doesn't care -- or if he needs to score 25 he will. He's smart. You can see on the court -- he's like our guys -- he's got a nimble mind. He'll see something happening before it happens."

Those, of course, are not the only cast of characters who could play a role in determining the outcome of Saturday afternoon's game.

Freshman guard Malik Monk is Kentucky's leading scorer at 19.3 points per game. Sophomore guard Isaiah Briscoe is next at 18.4, followed by Fox at 15.3. Freshman forward Bam Adebayo averages 11.1 points and a team-best 7.6 rebounds.

UCLA has six players averaging in double figures, topped by senior guard Isaac Hamilton at 18 points per game. Next comes freshman forward T.J. Leaf at 17.3, senior guard Bryce Alford, 15.5; Ball, 14.6; sophomore guard Aaron Holiday, 12.9; and junior center Thomas Welsh, who scores 10.8 and grabs a team-best 9.8 rebounds. Leaf checks in at 9.0 rebounds per game.

"This is a great game in early December for us," Calipari said. "They could bash us. They beat us last year. We never had a chance. They got the same team back with Ball. We lost everybody and have a brand new team. It'll be interesting."

Tokens
Preview: Saint Joseph's Hawks (3-3) at Villanova Wildcats (7-0)

Date: December 03, 2016 1:00 PM EDT

Villanova closed the month of November with a dominating 82-57 victory at Penn on Tuesday night.

The second-ranked Wildcats (7-0) captured their 26th straight win in the month of November and the record 15th in a row over a Big 5 opponent.

Villanova will now open December with another Big 5 rivalry matchup as it hosts Saint Joseph's in what is annually referred to as the "Holy War" Saturday at 1 p.m. ET at The Pavilion.

"I honestly can't wrap my head around that and I don't want to, because it's not going to do us any good," Villanova head coach Jay Wright said of the November streak. "I don't mean that disrespectfully. If we are thinking about that, it's not going to help us get better. And we've got to keep on getting better.

"At the ends of their careers, I think these (seniors) will talk about these things. I'm really proud of them. When I'm done coaching, I think this is a four-year run in November that I will be really proud of -- the tournaments won and all of it. Right now, though, we've got to force ourselves not to think about it. We've got a game coming up."

The hottest Villanova player is senior Kris Jenkins, who scored 22 points against Penn and became the 63rd player in program history to eclipse the 1,000-point barrier. Jenkins knocked down 6 of 7 from beyond the arc on his way to leading the team in scoring. Five other Wildcats scored in double figures as well.

Despite the offensive output, Jenkins pointed to another reason for the latest victory.

"We try not to rely on offense," Jenkins said. "All the energy came from the defensive end. We did a great job of playing together defensively and that's where all the energy came from."

Saint Joseph's opened the season 3-0 but has since dropped three straight, including a 78-72 loss to Temple Wednesday night at Hagan Arena.

Shavar Newkirk carried the Hawks with 22 points, seven rebounds and five assists as he registered a fourth consecutive 20-plus point game. Guard Lamarr Kimble scored 12 points and tied his career-high with nine assists. In addition, freshman Nick Robinson posted his first career game in double figures with 11 points.

Saint Joseph's has struggled after halftime in the last three losses, a fact that was clear to head coach Phil Martelli following the six-point loss to the Owls.

"The number that I've been studying is the first five minutes of the second half," Martelli said. "Through our first five games, we lost the first five minutes of the second half by 22 points. So we were emphatic about that. We had won that first media timeout by two points."

Saint Joseph's, which went 3-1 in the Big 5 last year, will receive a break following the Villanova game for final exams and will then visit Drexel on Dec. 11.

The Hawks have lost four straight in the all-time series with Villanova and last won 74-58 on Dec. 17, 2011.

Tokens
Preview: Oklahoma Sooners (5-1) at Wisconsin Badgers (6-2)

Date: December 03, 2016 1:00 PM EDT

If senior forward Nigel Hayes wants to show off his unselfish side, Wisconsin coach Greg Gard is more than happy to let the veteran assume some on-court leadership for the No. 17 Badgers.

Hayes registered 9 points, 11 rebounds and a career-high 10 assists in the Badgers' 77-60 win against No. 22 Syracuse five days ago. Hayes missed a free throw during the final minute of the game that would have secured a triple-double performance. The only Badgers player who accomplished the feat was guard Josh Gasser, who scored 10 points and had 10 rebounds and 12 assists in a win against Northwestern in 2011.

Gard likely expects more of the same type effort from Hayes when Wisconsin (6-2) finishes the week with its third game in six days as it hosts Oklahoma (5-1) on Saturday at noon central at the Kohl Center in Madison, Wis.

"Probably one thing that's overlooked a lot with him and doesn't get talked about as much or enough is his ability to pass and his vision," Gard said. "He just made things go and he made a difference. That was kind of the plan coming in, to try to touch him as much as possible and let him facilitate and make plays from there."

Hayes is third in team scoring at 11.3 points per game, but a slew of his assists against the Orange were from feeding the ball inside to sophomore forward Ethan Happ, who scored a game-high 24 points. Happ is the Badgers' rebounding leader at 9.9 per game, and he contributes 13.4 points per contest.

Senior guard Bronson Koenig is Wisconsin's scoring leader at 15.1 points per game. Koenig is fresh off a strong effort, in which he was 6 of 7 from beyond the arc against Syracuse.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma coach Lon Kruger did something earlier this week that he hasn't done in three years: Made a change in the Sooners' starting lineup. Freshman forward Kristian Doolittle was replaced by redshirt freshman Matt Freeman in Tuesday's game against North Colorado.

Doolittle, who averaged 7.4 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in five starts, did not sit for long. The freshman entered four minutes in and scored a career-high 17 points and had five rebounds in 18 minutes during the 87-66 home win against the Bears.

Doolittle is second in team rebounds with 6.2 rebounds per game, and contributes 9.1 points per tilt.

"Kristian is going to be a really good player," Kruger said of Doolittle, who shot 7 of 8 from the field. "It was good to see him attack more when he came out. We've been wanting him to do that. He can make good plays off the dribble. He's very strong and powerful when he goes to the rim. He looked comfortable."

Senior guard Jordan Woodward also had a strong effort against Northern Colorado, contributing 15 points, 9 rebounds and 7 assists.

Woodward and senior guard Khadeem Lattin are two returning starters for the Sooners, who reached the NCAA Final Four last season. Three seniors departed Oklahoma and were picked in the NBA draft.

Woodward, who is averaging a team-leading 17.0 points, shot 45.5 percent (80 of 176) from beyond the arc as a junior. Lattin adds 6.7 rebounds and 11.5 points per game.

Tokens
Preview: West Virginia Mountainers (5-1) at Virginia Cavaliers (7-0)

Date: December 03, 2016 2:00 PM EDT

In West Virginia's 108-61 win over Manhattan on Monday night, the Mountaineers forced the Jaspers to turn the ball over 41 times -- a school record. Head coach Bob Huggins' style over the years is to get up and down the floor, force turnovers and get easy transition buckets.

West Virginia's 5-1 start to the 2016-17 season is exactly that, as the Mountaineers surpassed 100 points three times in those six games, and are second in the nation in forced turnovers.

Saturday will be Huggins' and West Virginia's toughest test of the season by far as they travel to Charlottesville, Va., to take on sixth-ranked and undefeated Virginia. The Cavaliers won their 24th consecutive game at home on Wednesday night with a 63-61 come-from-behind win over Ohio State. The Cavaliers trailed by as many as 16 in the game but rallied late to preserve their unbeaten record and home winning streak.

"We have played some solid basketball but we have to be ready," Virginia head coach Tony Bennett said of his team moving forward. "We cannot afford another sleepy start."

Virginia ranks eighth in the country in fewest turnovers as the Cavaliers have done a good job of taking care of the ball this season behind senior point guard London Perrantes. Despite five turnovers in Virginia's win over the Buckeyes, Perrantes turned the ball over just 10 times this season, and the Cavaliers turned it over just 61 times as a team. West Virginia will likely test the sure-handed Cavaliers in Saturday's matchup despite Virginia handling the Mountaineers' pressure last season.

The Cavaliers knocked off West Virginia 70-54 in last year's matchup and defense is still where Bennett and his team's mindset remains.

"Last year's team maybe had a little more firepower and could afford to be sleepy at times," Bennett said. "Our message this year is 'be ready.' Our defense cannot take a possession off or get loose."

While the Cavaliers don't have the firepower on offense they did last season, they have a balanced scoring attack. Virginia currently has five players averaging at least seven points with Perrantes leading the way at 10.6 points per game.

West Virginia also boasts a balanced scoring attack, with guard Nathan Adrian leading the way at 13.5 points per game.

Virginia will need to take a conservative approach to its matchup with West Virginia to avoid letting the Mountaineers control the game.

"You guys know from last year how tough it was, and they play the whole game pressing the ball," Perrantes said of the Mountaineers. "We played a little bit of the offense that we will play against them tonight against Ohio State. We weren't planning on it, but it was just something we needed to do."

The Cavaliers showed a four-guard lineup a few times in the second half against the Buckeyes that proved to work for Bennett's squad. Playing a lineup similar to that against West Virginia should help the Cavaliers take care of the ball and keep their turnover total down.

Virginia and West Virginia tip off at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

Tokens
Preview: Morehead State Eagles (2-4) at Purdue Boilermakers (5-2)

Date: December 03, 2016 2:00 PM EDT

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- No. 15 Purdue and Morehead State enter their Saturday afternoon game in Mackey Arena with problems to solve.

While the Boilermakers' issues are quite fixable, the Eagles are dealing with the suspension -- with pay -- of fifth-year head coach Sean Woods, who is facing complaints of player mistreatment.

Assistant coach Preston Spradlin is the acting head coach. Woods, a former Kentucky standout guard who had a 75-63 record in his first four seasons at Morehead State, was suspended by athletic director Brian Hutchinson on Nov. 22. The Eagles (2-4) lost their past four games, including the past two under Spradlin.

"Resulting from complaints received, the institution has begun an investigation involving the head basketball coach," Hutchinson said in a statement issued by the university. "While we continue through the formal process, we believe it is prudent to suspend the coach until the investigation is finished."

Purdue (5-2) comes into the game off a 71-64 ACC/Big Ten Challenge loss at No. 14 Louisville on Wednesday. The Boilermakers shot only 35.8 percent (19 of 53), turned the ball over 17 times and got only one point from struggling junior forward Vince Edwards.

Edwards, the team's leading returning scorer (11.3 points last season), is averaging only 10.6 points while shooting only 41.3 percent from the field.

Purdue is averaging 15.7 turnovers and has been guilty of 54 total turnovers in its three most recent games (18 per contest).

The Boilermakers' front line of Edwards, 6-foot-8 Caleb Swanigan and 7-2 Isaac Haas was a collective 5 of 20 from the field and 11 of 16 from the free throw line for only 23 points during the loss at Louisville.

Swanigan (six), Edwards (three) and Haas (one) were guilty of 10 of the 17 turnovers.

"We have to grow," said Swanigan, who is averaging 18.1 points and 11.9 rebounds. "I have to be better with the ball, take care of the ball and just be myself. At Louisville, we allowed them to take us out of some things.

"Even with all of the turnovers, we were able to get within four at one point. If we don't learn from it, then it's just us being uncoachable. We are going to have to see what this team is made of down the road."

Junior guard Dakota Mathias said there is no excuse for most of Purdue's giveaways.

"We have to be solid with the ball, but we also can't be too cautious," Mathias said. "We are making simple errors -- mental errors -- and then it just gets in our heads."

Boilermaker point guard P.J. Thompson shoulders the blame for what happened at Louisville.

"When we are on the road, we have to come out with a better fight," Thompson said. "It starts with me as the point guard. As a junior captain, I have to have my team ready to play.

"I have played in big games -- big road games -- and we didn't come out at Louisville like we were ready to fight."

Morehead State is led by senior guard Xavier Moon, who is averaging 13.3 points a game, and by sophomore guard Malik Maitland, who is averaging 12 points.

Since Woods' suspension, Morehead State dropped a 76-63 decision at Pittsburgh and fell 84-79 to Northern Kentucky on Wednesday.

In the only other meeting between the Boilermakers and Eagles, Purdue defeated Morehead State 81-71 on Dec. 5, 1985, in West Lafayette.

Tokens
Preview: Xavier Musketeers (7-0) at Baylor Bears (7-0)

Date: December 03, 2016 3:30 PM EDT

WACO, Texas -- For once, the beginning of basketball season brought with it a welcome change deep in the heart of Texas.

While Baylor's football program is stuck in a quagmire of scandal off the field and a five-game losing streak on the field, the Bears basketball team ascended from unranked to No. 9 in the Associated Press poll this week.

Baylor already defeated then-fourth-ranked Oregon at home this went to the Battle 4 Atlantis to pull off an impressive string of victories over VCU, Michigan State and Louisville.

All of that serves as context as No. 7 Xavier comes into the Ferrell Center on Saturday afternoon for a top-10 nonconference hoops matchup that will draw the eyes of the college basketball nation.

Baylor (7-0) tips off at the same time as its football team kicks off on the road at West Virginia, but that coincidence wasn't even mentioned in Bears' coach Scott Drew's pregame press conference on Friday.

Instead, Drew spoke about how fortunate his program is to have two top-10 nonconference opponents come into Baylor's arena in the same season. Before this year, Baylor played only two top-10 nonconference opponents at home in its history.

"The chance of having two top-10 home games in nonconference, you've got a better chance of hitting the lottery," Drew said. "It's a great opportunity for us to play at home against a real quality opponent. For both teams, your RPI is not going to go down if you lose and, if you win, it's a great gain."

Like Baylor, Xavier (7-0) is undefeated against a slate of quality opponents. Unlike Baylor, the Musketeers haven't faced a team with a national ranking attached to it yet this season.

Xavier defeated Missouri, Clemson and Northern Iowa twice during a stretch of four games last month.

Now the Musketeers play their first game on an opponent's home floor this season -- all seven of Xavier's previous contests were either at home in Cincinnati or at the Tire Pros Invitational in Orlando -- as well as their first ranked foe.

Xavier coach Chris Mack knows his team will be fully focused on Baylor.

"There's so much respect for the type of program that Baylor's had for several years," Mack said. "(Our players) saw what they did down in the Bahamas. There's no trick, there's no science for getting our guys up for the game."

With hype and motivation equal on both sides, the game could come down to whether or not Xavier can hit shots against Baylor's treacherous zone defense. The Bears deploy 7-foot forward Jo Lual-Acuil and 6-10 forward Johnathan Motley in the interior. And Mack said everyone in the Bears' 1-3-1 zone knows his responsibility to limit open looks.

"We're going to have to find soft spots in the zone and we're going to have to make some shots, obviously, and then we're going to have to try to rebound and get second opportunities," Mack said. "Baylor makes it tough. They're big and they put that 7-footer under the rim. It's a challenge but we wouldn't have it any other way."

The Musketeers will try to attack the zone and crash the boards with a quartet of tall guards and 6-10 center Sean O'Mara.

Drew seemed to be just as concerned about stopping Xavier's lineup on the offensive end as Mack was about combatting the Baylor zone.

"We haven't faced a team with as much height across the board, basically a team of four guards at 6-6, athletic, can shoot it, post it, drive it," Drew said. "With that, it also makes it difficult to defend because, with a lot of shooters, you never know which one is going to be hot that day. It's easy to see why they're such a good team."

Tokens
Preview: Stanford Cardinal (6-2) at Kansas Jayhawks (6-1)

Date: December 03, 2016 3:30 PM EDT

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- The growth of Josh Jackson will not eliminate whatever pressure the highly-rated freshman feels to both satisfy his preseason hype and elevate his NBA draft stock.

Yet Kansas coach Bill Self has noticed his 6-foot-8 freshman welcomes whatever pressure is heaped on him with the No. 4 Jayhawks (6-1) riding a six-game winning streak entering a game Saturday against Stanford (6-2) in Allen Fieldhouse.

Depth enables Kansas to sometimes ride the hot hand of an unconventional leading scorer. A case in point came in the Jayhawks' most recent game when sophomore guard Lagerald Vick, in just his second career start, went 9 of 9 and netted a career-high 23 points.

"I don't think that Josh looks at it like, 'I'm glad everybody else is playing good, so that takes some pressure off of me,'" Self said. "I think (top-flight) kids look at it like I want all the pressure on me now.

"But it is an advantage to be able to have five guards out there that are all very capable and making plays and making shots."

Jackson is the tallest in that group, a 6-8 wing who can penetrate for points or assists, and also contribute with sticky hands on the defensive end.

The only time he failed to score in double figures was a nine-point performance in an overtime loss to Indiana to begin the season.

"Josh thinks of it like, 'I want to get as good as fast as I can,'" Self added. "I think he's shown unbelievable improvement. And he didn't have a bad game against Indiana."

At the rate Jackson is on, averaging 14.1 points, 5.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists, he is quite possibly the most versatile freshman Self has coached at Kansas. Among other standouts on that list who left for the NBA after one year are Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid.

"He's got great vision," Self said. "He can pass and can alter (shots) and is getting more active defensively. He's probably as all-around as any freshman we've had who can do a little bit of everything."

The two small guards in the Kansas backcourt, senior Frank Mason and junior Devonte' Graham, join Jackson as double-digit scorers with averages of 19.6 and 12.9 points, respectively. Each averages 5.4 assists.

Stanford is coming off a 66-51 loss to No. 12 St. Mary's. The Cardinal led 30-26 at halftime but shot just 28 percent from the field in the second half and made just one 3-pointer.

"They came out more enthused than we did," Stanford coach Jerod Haase said.

Additional enthusiasm might not be enough for Stanford to upset Kansas, especially considering the Jayhawks are riding a 46-game home winning streak, which is tops in the country.

Haase, however, knows the territory.

He played at Kansas from 1995 to 1997 under Roy Williams. He then assisted the Kansas staff before moving on to serve as an assistant under Williams at North Carolina. Haase was head coach at UAB for four seasons before taking over this year at Stanford.

Reid Travis, a 6-8 junior forward who missed much of last season with a stress reaction in a leg, will try to cause problems inside. He leads Stanford in scoring (16.3) and rebounding (9.5) and could be a load for the Jayhawks, who have lacked frontcourt production.

Dorian Pickens, a 6-5 wing, averages 13.8 points and 4.4 rebounds.

Tokens
Preview: Maine Black Bears (2-5) at Duke Blue Devils (7-1)

Date: December 03, 2016 5:30 PM EDT

DURHAM, N.C. -- Even with a rash of injured players often dominating the conversation about Duke's basketball team for the first few weeks of the season, there's another identity that's more relevant for coach Mike Krzyzewski in describing the Blue Devils.

"I have tough kids," Krzyzewski said. "I have really tough kids."

That's what the No. 5 Blue Devils have been counting on as they've rung up a 7-1 record. Only six players were used in Tuesday night's victory against Michigan State.

"Playing six guys is never going to be easy," fifth-year senior forward Amile Jefferson said. "But guys have to always be tough."

A deeper bench is likely to be in use Saturday when Duke wraps up a four-game homestand by taking on Maine (2-5) at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Krzyzewski said with Jefferson and guards Matt Jones and Grayson Allen there are enough veteran players to help the Blue Devils through rough patches.

"They've been in big-time games," Krzyzewski said. "They've had adversity. ... They've earned it. It is not inherited wealth, let's put it that way. It's stuff they've earned."

Playing with grit is something that's endearing in some ways for the Blue Devils.

"We have this inner toughness," Jefferson said. "A toughness of the heart and the spirit more than physical. Our guys have always come ready to play."

Duke owns a five-game winning streak, but Jones said the 78-69 victory against Michigan State was particularly satisfying because the Blue Devils had to dig deep.

"I think we're growing as a team, especially winning that game," he said. "It's definitely a confidence booster. We just have to keep it going."

Jones received rave reviews after the last game from Krzyzewski because of his defense. The effort on the defensive end was needed because Jones ended up with just two points for his first time short of double figures this season.

It became Duke's first game this season without five players in double-digit scoring.

Maine is coming off an 82-61 home loss to Central Connecticut State on Wednesday night. That opponent has the Blue Devils nickname as well - yet with the game attracting an announced attendance of 836 it means Saturday's game should result in a drastically different setting for the Black Bears.

This will be Maine's second visit to an Atlantic Coast Conference campus this season after an 80-67 loss for last month's opener at Virginia Tech.

The Black Bears, who'll face Duke for the first time, were picked to finish last in the America East preseason poll. That didn't sit well with third-year coach Bob Walsh.

"The truth is, it bothers me," Walsh said. "It bothers our players. But that is a good thing. All Black Bear programs show up with something to prove when we play, with a pride and toughness that is evident.

"The great thing about competition is we get to play the games and the results speak for themselves."

Black Bears freshman forward Andrew Fleming, who was the top high school player in Maine last season, posted a season-best 20 points in the team's last outing.

Tokens
Preview: Rhode Island Rams (5-2) at Providence Friars (5-2)

Date: December 03, 2016 4:30 PM EDT

Providence has won the last six games, seven of the last eight and eight of the last 10 games against local rival Rhode Island.

But none of those games were as big for the Rams as the rivalry renewal Saturday at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence.

While the Friars have gone to the NCAA Tournament the last three years under Ed Cooley, the Rams have been building. Now, PC is in a bit of a rebuild after losing Kris Dunn and Ben Bentil to the NBA Draft -- and it's the Rams, the 21st-ranked Rams, with the expectations.

It's also the Rams coming off a tough loss at Valparaiso that may well knock them out of the top 25 (even though Valpo is looking like a ranked team) -- and losing to the Friars would certainly spell top 25 doom for URI.

The Rams (5-2) fought hard and went right down to the final shot in the difficult road assignment at Valparaiso -- URI relying mostly on its starters in that game (the bench logged 35 minutes).

"We got a little tight with our rotation," Rhody coach Dan Hurley said Thursday. "Stan (Robinson) and others will play more."

It was clear again in that game that E.C. Matthews, who missed all but 10 minutes of last season with a knee injury and is still working his way back.

"Right now, he's going through the struggles that any player would go through coming back from an injury like that," URI coach Dan Hurley said after Matthews scored just six points, the last two coming on a late tip-in. "We knew a large part of non-conference would be time for him to get his timing back and knock the rust off. By conference play, he'll be more of his old self."

Saturday is not conference play. But the game is huge and Matthews comes in just 12-for-39 from the floor in the last four games -- 0-for-5 from 3-point range in the last three.

While Matthews, on the preseason watch lists for the Naismith, Lute Olson and Jerry West awards, comes in anything but hot, PC's Rodney Bullock comes off a career-high 36 points in a win over New Hampshire that lifted the Friars to 5-2 on the season.

Bullock was 12-for-21 from the floor as Cooley, who notched his 200th coaching win in the game, said the basket looked like "an ocean" to his player. The Friars were also an impressive 12-for-21 from 3-point range in the game.

"It gets contagious," Cooley said. "We had one of those days. Hopefully, we have more left in us."

The Friars were 8-for-16 from 3-point land in a loss to No. 7 Virginia, making them 20-for-37 from deep in the last two games -- after a 2-for-20 stat in a win over Memphis.

Talking about Bullock in his big game against UNH, Cooley said, "It seemed like everything he threw up was going to go in. The basket looked like an ocean. Hopefully he continues to shoot like that. We're going to need it the whole year."

Said Bullock, who was just 3-for-13 against Virginia: "Today was one of those days I just had it going -- midrange and then stretching it out. That's what coach recruited me for."

The Rams have lost two of their last three, falling to then-No. 1 Duke in the final of the Naismith Hall of Fame Tipoff in Connecticut, then beating Belmont (behind Hassan Martin's career-high 31 points) and losing to Valparaiso.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carpetcleaning
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com