Saturday 10/14/17 ... Comps / Bonus Plays / Trends / Betting Info / Etc

Search

Tokens
StatFox Super Situations

NY YANKEES at HOUSTON
Play Against - All underdogs with a money line of +100 or higher (NY YANKEES) good offensive team (>=5.1 runs/game) against a very good starting pitcher (ERA<=3.50) (AL), with a bad bullpen that blows 38% or more of their save opportunities 42-11 over the last 5 seasons. ( 79.2% | 26.1 units ) 9-4 this year. ( 69.2% | 2.0 units )

StatFox Situational Power Trends

CHICAGO CUBS at LA DODGERS
LA DODGERS are 66-21 (+30.1 Units) against the money line after having won 4 or 5 of their last 6 games this season. The average score was: LA DODGERS (5.4) , OPPONENT (3.4)

Tokens
MLB Betting Picks & Tips

New York at Houston (-130); Total: 7.5

The most important trait a pitcher can possess is good command. We saw that on Friday night. Dallas Keuchel is not overpowering, but he does what he does extremely well and struck out 10 Yankees over seven innings and the bullpen did the rest to pitch the Astros to a 2-1 win. Masahiro Tanaka didn’t have the same swing-and-miss attribute as Keuchel, but he still scattered four hits over six innings and was a tough-luck loser. Tanaka was very efficient with just 89 pitches over those six frames, so both bullpens are in good shape as we head into Game 2.

The Astros were 2-for-4 with runners in scoring position. The Yankees were 1-for-5. The Astros won 2-1. Funny how that works. These playoff games generally come down to variance in four or five key plate appearances. The Yankees didn’t even score a run with their one hit with RISP. Their lone run came on a solo dinger in the ninth.

Anyway, we look ahead to Game 2. It’ll be Luis Severino for the Yankees. Severino was awful in the Wild Card Game against the Twins, but was dazzling in Game 4 against the Indians. Severino sits in the 98 mph range with his fastball and that will be the big matchup in this game. Indians hitters, despite being a great contact-oriented lineup, were overmatched. The Astros had a lower K% than the Indians during the season, so we’ll have to see how all of this plays out. The right-hander had a 2.98 ERA with a 3.07 FIP and a 3.04 xFIP in his 193.1 innings during the regular season.

As I wrote about in my series preview, which is still relevant as we go throughout the series, the Astros mauled fastballs this season, but Severino was up among the top five in average fastball velocity and was the only starter to be up there. Not all fastballs are created equal, as we know. Given the body of work for Severino, I have to assume that he has success today, even against a team that can really swing it.

Justin Verlander has been such an outstanding fit for the Astros. He made five regular season starts with a 1.06 ERA, a 2.69 FIP, and a 2.94 xFIP. He struck out 43 and walked five in 34 innings. He worked 8.2 innings in the Division Series and didn’t look nearly as good. He had a 3.12 ERA, but he walked four and only struck out three out of his 34 batters faced. He did work in relief and that was some new territory for him. I’m not really worried about the small sample of the last round.

This will be a really interesting matchup. Verlander works up with a fastball that has one of the best spin rates in the game. He also works down with a breaking ball. We saw Yankee hitters have a lot of issues with pitches that were down in the zone against the Indians. Lots of changeups and curveballs led to success. Verlander works up in the zone, so this may end up being a better matchup for New York. I’ve been a big proponent of the Verlander move, but I am curious to see if his arsenal matches up as well with the Yankees as it has with other teams. Obviously Dallas Keuchel worked down in the zone a ton and had great success.

I’d have to look at the underdog here, and not just as a numbers grab, but as a true position. Chad Green worked two innings in Game 1. The rest of the Yankees bullpen had the night off after a long series against Cleveland. All arms will be at the ready. If you’re going to lose Game 1, at least the Yankees did it in a way that will help them going forward. I think the dog is a very good look today.

Chicago at Los Angeles

No line is out for Game 1 between the Cubs and Dodgers today. The Cubs still haven’t named a starter. We know that it will be either Jose Quintana or John Lackey, so let’s break both of those guys down. It will be Clayton Kershaw for the Dodgers.

I think it is an interesting decision for the Cubs today. Normally, if we had regular season Clayton Kershaw, you’d probably consider Lackey to give Quintana an extra day of rest and set him up against Rich Hill tomorrow. But, playoff Kershaw has been a different animal and stealing Game 1 and burning up a Kershaw start in the process would decidedly swing the win probability balance in this series. I’m not sure which way Joe Maddon will go, but Lackey is clearly the freshest starting arm that he has.

Let’s say that it is Quintana. He posted a 3.74 ERA with a 3.25 FIP and a 3.24 xFIP in his 14 starts with the Cubs. His strikeout rate rose and his walk rate sunk. Those are two things that we would expect to see with any AL to NL move, so it wasn’t a big surprise, but it did make Quintana an even better pitcher. As outstanding as Quintana has been in his career, his start last series was his first playoff start in his career. He also worked a game in relief last series. Quintana did not allow an earned run across 6.1 innings against the Nationals with seven strikeouts against two walks. The Dodgers really improved their splits against lefties this season and finished fifth in wOBA at .337. They were fourth in wRC+ at 109. Quintana is a bit better than most lefties, though.

There are two concerns about Lackey getting the nod. The first is that he isn’t very good. The second is that you put your bullpen in a very compromising position if he goes out and struggles early. Lackey posted a 4.59 ERA with a 5.30 FIP and a 4.62 xFIP on the season. His K% dropped and his walk rate went up. The biggest thing is that his HR/FB% ballooned to 18.2 percent. Dodger Stadium may suppress that a little bit, but he’s still a dangerous starter to trot out for a variety of reasons here.

My guess is that the Cubs go with Quintana. He’d be my choice because I’d try to do everything I could to protect that bullpen in Game 1. The Dodgers haven’t played in a few days, so I’d throw my best choice out there to see if I could prey on how they’ve been sitting around pondering how high their expectations are this postseason.

Clayton Kershaw owns a 2.36 ERA with a 2.60 FIP and a 2.92 xFIP in 1,935 career regular season innings. In 95.1 postseason innings, he has a 4.63 ERA with a 3.63 FIP and a 3.23 xFIP. Here’s why I hate the Kershaw narrative. In the playoffs, his LOB% is 63.9 percent. That would have been the lowest in the league in the regular season this year and in most seasons. This is in spite of a 28.7 percent K% in the playoffs for Kershaw, which is above his career regular season mark. The biggest issue for Kershaw is that his playoff HR/FB% is 14.3 percent, compared to 7.8 percent in the regular season.

One thing that does worry me here is that Kershaw looked moderately human this season and it was because of a 15.9 percent HR/FB%. Kershaw already allowed four home runs in his start against the Diamondbacks. For whatever reason, his command drops off significantly in the playoffs.

If you’ll allow me to speculate, I think that if the Cubs go with Quintana this line opens in the -200 range. If the Cubs go with Lackey, it will probably open in the -240 range. Total with Quintana would probably be 7.5 and 8 with Lackey.

I can’t be upset with anybody that wants to fade playoff Kershaw. I think variance is mostly to blame in the small sample size, but the gopher ball issue appears to be a real thing. The Cubs offense has been the best in baseball since the All-Star Break, so it isn’t like Kershaw draws an easy assignment here.

Lastly, I do want to point this out. A member of the Cubs traveling party had a medical emergency and the flight was diverted to Albuquerque to get that family member some help. The Cubs sat on the plane for a long time on the tarmac. Perhaps it brings the team together, though we don’t know the nature of the medical issue and it was shortly after the Cubs won over the Nationals, so there were likely some dudes not feeling real great from the postgame libations. It creates a tough situational spot this deep into the season. I’m not sure what tangible impact it has, though it could have a carryover to Game 2 that may be worth playing against, especially if we do get a Lackey start.

Tokens
Saturday's MLB Championship Series Betting Preview

New York Yankees at Houston Astros (-135, 7.5)

The Houston Astros won a pitchers' duel to open the American League Championship Series and will turn to their hottest arm in Game 2 of the best-of-seven set against the visiting New York Yankees on Saturday. Dallas Keuchel continued his career-long dominance of the Yankees with 10 strikeouts over seven scoreless innings in Friday's 2-1 victory in Game 1.

Jose Altuve recorded three hits, stole a base and scored a run as he improved to 11-for-19 with four walks this postseason. Including the playoffs, Justin Verlander is 7-0 with a 1.48 ERA in seven games (six starts) since being acquired from Detroit and is 4-0 with a 2.82 mark in his career at Minute Maid Park as he enters his Game 2 start. Verlander never has faced young sluggers Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez and Greg Bird, whose solo blast with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning accounted for all of New York's offense on Friday. The Yankees will turn to ace Luis Severino, who bounced back from a brutal start in the wild-card game to stymie Cleveland over seven frames on Monday in the AL Division Series.

PITCHING MATCHUP: Yankees RH Luis Severino (1-0, 7.36 ERA) vs. Astros RH Justin Verlander (2-0, 3.12)

Severino allowed three runs and four hits - two homers - while striking out nine Indians in his Game 3 victory, which helped turn the tide in that series. He was hit hard in two regular-season meetings with the Astros, allowing nine runs and 15 hits in 11 2/3 frames, and has had his issues with Carlos Correa (3-for-4, two doubles and two walks), Yuli Gurriel (4-for-5, one double) and Marwin Gonzalez (2-for-5, one home run). The 23-year-old posted a 0.89 ERA over his last six road starts during the regular season and finished 6-1 with a 2.24 ERA away from home.

Verlander has won each of his two outings this postseason, including 2 2/3-inning relief appearance in the decisive Game 4 win over Boston in the ALDS. The 34-year-old has posted a 3.55 ERA in five career starts in the ALCS, including an eight-inning outing in which he allowed one run and struck out 10 in his last such outing against the Red Sox in 2013. Verlander will be wary of Todd Frazier (5-for-17, two homers) and Didi Gregorius (2-for-6, one homer, one double), but he should go right after Aaron Hicks (0-for-9, four strikeouts).

TRENDS:

* Yankees are 0-5 in their last 5 League Championship games.
* Astros are 6-0 in Verlanders last 6 starts.
* Over is 9-1 in Severinos last 10 starts following a Quality Start in his last appearance.
* Over is 5-1 in Astros last 6 playoff games.
* Over is 5-0 in the last 5 meetings.

CONSENSUS: The public is leaning toward the home favorite Astros with 66 percent of the picks and Over is grabbing 63 percent of the totals wagers.

Chicago Cubs at Los Angeles Dodgers (-200, 7)

The team with the best record in the majors this season meets the defending World Series champions when the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago Cubs clash in the National League Championship Series, beginning Saturday in Los Angeles. The series is a rematch from last year when the Cubs dispatched the Dodgers in six games as second baseman Javier Baez and left-hander Jon Lester shared MVP honors.

Chicago is in the NLCS for the third straight season after prevailing over the Washington Nationals in a five-game NL Division Series while the Dodgers recorded a three-game sweep of the Arizona Diamondbacks. "I thought we caught our stride at the right part of the season, meaning August, September, it really came together for us," Cubs manager Joe Maddon said at Friday's press conference. "Right now we're playing with that same kind of mental acumen and edge that I've seen the last two years." Los Angeles is hoping ace left-hander Clayton Kershaw can get it off to a good start as the team aims to earn its first World Series berth since 1988. Kershaw's spotty postseason history is well known - he is 5-7 with a 4.63 ERA in 19 appearances (15 starts) - but he had a 3.00 ERA while splitting two decisions against the Cubs in last season's NLCS.

PITCHING MATCHUP: Cubs TBA vs. Dodgers LH Clayton Kershaw (1-0, 5.68 ERA)

Maddon indicated he was deciding between left-hander Jose Quintana and right-hander John Lackey for the Game 1 start. Quintana allowed one unearned run and three hits over 6 1/3 innings in two appearances (one start) during the NLDS, while Lackey didn't pitch in the series and last started a game on Sept. 27. The edge Quintana has is being able to neutralize the left-handed Los Angeles hitters while the 38-year-old Lackey has an extensive postseason resume that includes an 8-6 record and 3.27 ERA in 26 career appearances (23 starts).

Kershaw beat the Arizona Diamondbacks in the NL Division Series but served up four solo homers while allowing five hits in 6 1/3 innings. The 29-year-old is one of the top pitchers of his era and badly wants to see the club's long Fall Classic jinx conclude. "We want to go to the World Series," Kershaw said at Friday's press conference. "We didn't get to do that last year, and the Cubs were the reason why. No doubt about it, we know that."

TRENDS:

* Cubs are 14-3 in their last 17 during game 1 of a series.
* Dodgers are 2-9 in their last 11 home games vs. a team with a winning record.
* Dodgers are 45-9 in Kershaws last 54 starts.
* Dodgers are 5-1 in Kershaws last 6 home starts vs. Cubs.
* Under is 9-2 in Kershaws last 11 starts vs. Cubs.

CONSENSUS: The public is leaning heavy on the home chalk Dodgers with 71 percent of the picks and Over is grabbing 53 percent of the totals wagers.

Tokens
College Football's Biggest Betting Mismatches

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Miami Hurricanes (-6.5, 52.5)

Georgia Tech's third-down defense vs. Miami's drive extension struggles

The Hurricanes have done a fantastic job dealing with adverse circumstances, remaining unbeaten and leading the ACC-Coastal Division despite already having three games postponed or cancelled due to weather. Last weekend's pivotal 24-20 win over host Florida State made a major statement, but Miami could be in tough this weekend against Georgia Tech; not only did the Hurricanes lose leading rusher Mark Walton for the season, but they face a significant mismatch when it comes to third downs.

Georgia Tech has made a name for itself on offense by averaging a stunning 396 rushing yards per game; only Navy (414.2) averages more in Division I. But the Yellow Jackets have also made a major impact on the defensive side of the ball by limiting opponents to 11 third-down conversions on 46 opportunities - a 23.9-percent success rate that ranks fourth-best in the nation. North Carolina went just 2-for-12 on third downs in last weekend's 33-7 loss to Georgia Tech.

For all that Miami has done well this season, it has been slightly below average in converting on third down; the Hurricanes are 18-for-46 on the season, good for a 39.1-percent conversion that ranks 68th nationally. That includes an 11-for-29 stretch on third downs in wins over Kentucky and Florida State; the Hurricanes escaped with victories in both games, but a similar showing against the Yellow Jackets could result in this game being closer than oddsmakers anticipate.

Michigan Wolverines at Indiana Hoosiers (+6.5, 45.5)

Michigan's ground struggles vs. Indiana's stout run D

The Wolverines' national title hopes took a significant hit with last week's 14-10 loss to rival Michigan State; not only did Michigan lose the game, but will also be without starting quarterback Wilton Speight for "multiple weeks" as he recovers from a back injury. A solid bounceback effort against the Hoosiers is imperative for head coach Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines, but it won't be easy - particularly on the ground - against an Indiana defense that just pitched a shutout against Charleston Southern.

You can point to several areas in which Michigan underwhelmed against the Spartans, but the ground game was among the most disappointing. The Wolverines gained just 102 yards on a whopping 39 attempts - good for a paltry 2.6 YPC average. That dropped Michigan's YPC average below 4.0 yards for the season, while its six rushing scores rank higher than only the Spartans and Purdue Boilermakers. And with the switch to QB John O'Korn (505 yards, TD, 4 INT), the Wolverines need that run game even more.

Indiana has opened conference play with one-sided losses to Ohio State and Penn State, but is on a high after limiting Charleston Southern to 134 total yards - all on the ground - in a 27-0 triumph. The Buccaneers needed 44 carries to amass that yardage total, as the Hoosiers run defense continued its impressive stretch. Indiana is limiting foes to 3.6 YPC - tied for the sixth-best rate in the defense-heavy Big Ten - and has surrendered just five rushing touchdowns through its first five games.

Washington Huskies at Arizona State Sun Devils (+17, 62)

Huskies' relentless pass rush vs. Sun Devils' shaky O-line

The Washington Huskies are making a run toward the College Football Playoff - and it's thanks to sensational play on both sides of the football. The Huskies enter this week's showdown at Arizona State ranked tied for 11th in points per game (43.0) and third in the nation in points allowed (10.2). Arizona State is no slouch in the passing game, averaging nearly 300 yards per contest - but if it doesn't do a better job of protecting QB Manny Wilkins, it could be a long night at Sun Devil Stadium.

The Huskies have been the class of the Pac-12 in the majority of statistical categories, and are getting to the opposing quarterback at a breakneck pace. Washington is one of only seven Division I schools to have amassed at least 20 sacks so far, and its 3.33 sacks-per-game average ranks 10th nationally. As a result of that relentless pressure, teams are averaging just 150.3 passing yards per game against Washington, which has surrendered just three passing scores through six games.

Wilkins has been strong through his first five games of the season, ranking third in the conference in passing yards per game (290.3) and sixth in quarterback efficiency (153.9). But you have to wonder how much better he would be if the Sun Devils offensive line were stronger. Arizona State has already surrendered 22 sacks - fourth-most in Division I - and is averaging 4.4 sacks against per game, the second-worst rate in the nation. Look for that trend to continue against Washington's vaunted defense.

Kansas Jayhawks at Iowa State Cyclones (20.5, 68)

Jayhawks' possession issues vs. Cyclones' terrific turnover rate

Iowa State might have single-handedly ended Oklahoma's quest for the national title, posting one of the most notable upsets of the year with last weekend's 38-31 triumph over the Sooners. Next up: a home date with a Kansas Jayhawks team allowing the third-most points per game (44.0) in Division I. This one is expected to be a high-scoring affair, and that heavily favors the Cyclones - not only because they're the superior team, but because they have a significant edge in the turnover department.

The Jayhawks are hemorrhaging points like few other teams in the nation, and haven't done themselves any favors on the other side of the football. Kansas has already committed 13 turnovers - tied for seventh-most overall - while only six other Division I teams have racked up more interceptions than the Jayhawks' nine. Kansas has a minus-seven turnover differential on the season, with seven of their turnovers coming in their last two games.

The Cyclones have had an up-and-down season to date, and have failed to string together consecutive victories. But they're on the right track following last week's upset win over Oklahoma, and have the turnover ratio to suggest that their success is sustainable. Iowa State has forced nine turnovers through five games while committing only five itself - good for a plus-four differential that ranks inside the top 30 nationally. Even more impressively, the Cyclones have yet to lose a fumble.

Tokens
Saturday's SEC Tips

Before perusing the SEC slate in Week 7, here are my rankings for the conference:

1-Alabama
2-Georgia
3-Auburn
4-Texas A&M
5-LSU
6-South Carolina
7-Florida
8-Mississippi State
9-Kentucky
10-Vanderbilt
11-Tennessee
12-Arkansas
13-Ole Miss
14-Missouri

South Carolina (4-2 straight up, 3-2-1 against the spread) will travel to Knoxville to take on Tennessee at noon Eastern on ESPN. As of late Friday afternoon, most books had the Volunteers installed as 3.5-point favorites with a total of 47.5. The Gamecocks were +145 on the money line (risk $100 to win $145).

Will Muschamp has beaten Butch Jones in all three head-to-head matchups between the two head coaches, including last year’s 24-21 win as a 13.5-point home underdog at Williams-Brice Stadium. Jake Bentley, a true freshman at the time making his second career start, completed 15-of-20 passes for 167 yards and two touchdowns without an interception. Rico Dowdle, another true freshman, rushed for 127 yards and one TD on 27 attempts. The win for USC snapped a three-game losing streak in the rivalry.

South Carolina is 2-2 in SEC play after capturing a 48-22 win over Arkansas last week as a three-point home underdog. The 70 combined points soared ‘over’ the 45.5-point total. The Gamecocks scored three defensive TDs in the second half, including a 34-yard pick-six by fifth-year senior LB Skai Moore that extended USC’s lead to 27-10 midway through the third quarter.

Bentley connected on 16-of-31 throws for 199 yards and three TDs without a pick. Dowdle rushed for a team-best 61 yards on 11 carries. Hayden Hurst had two receptions for 76 yards, including a 62-yard TD catch. Bryan Edwards had two grabs for 20 yards, including an 18-yard TD reception with four seconds left in the first half.

For the season, Bentley has completed 60.6 percent of his passes for 1,456 yards with a 12/4 touchdown-to-interception ratio. The sophomore has a 21/8 TD-INT ratio in 13 career starts. Ty’Son Williams, a transfer from North Carolina who sat out the 2016 campaign, has run for a team-best 281 yards and one TD while averaging 5.7 yards per carry.

Star junior WR Deebo Samuel was playing like a first-team All-American in USC’s first three games. He had scored six TDs before breaking his leg in the second half of a 23-13 home loss to Kentucky. With Samuel sidelined, Edwards and Hurst are Bentley’s main targets. Edwards, yet another true sophomore, has 27 receptions for 357 yards and one TD, while Hurst has 19 catches for 297 yards and two TDs.

South Carolina defeated Arkansas without three starting offensive linemen in uniform. Junior OT Malik Young is ‘out’ again this week, but Muschamp is optimistic that junior OT Zack Bailey and senior OG Cory Helms will play. Both are ‘questionable’ and will likely be game-time decisions.

USC is 1-0-1 ATS as a road underdog this year, 3-0-1 with three outright wins in four games as a ‘dog this season (regardless of the venue). Meanwhile, Tennessee has compiled a 10-14 spread record in 24 games as a home favorite during Butch Jones’s five-year tenure.

Tennessee (3-2 SU, 1-4 ATS) has had two weeks to prepare for USC, but it lost another player during the open date. Sophomore DE Darrell Taylor was suspended indefinitely after reportedly kicking a teammate in the face at practice. In UT’s first five games, Taylor had 20 tackles, one sack, one TFL, one QB hurry, one forced fumble and one PBU. The defense is already without its three projected starting LBs and one of the nation’s best safeties in Todd Kelly. Also, 2015 SEC Special Teams Player of the Year Evan Berry is listed as ‘doubtful’ with a leg injury that’s had him sidelined for the last month.

UT started the season 2-0 with wins over Ga. Tech (42-41 in overtime) and Indiana State (42-7), but it has lost two of its last three contest. Butch Jones’s squad was run out of its own house at Neyland Stadium by Georgia two weeks ago. UGA dealt out cream-cheese treatment on the Vols in a dominant 41-0 win. UT had not been shut out since a 31-0 loss vs. Florida in 1994.

Jones has benched junior QB Quinten Dormady, who started the team’s first five games. He’ll turn to redshirt freshman Jarrett Guarantano, who will make his first career start. Guarantano has hit on 12-of-24 passes for 54 yards and one TD without an interception in three games. Dormady has completed 55.5 percent of his throws for 925 yards with a mediocre 6/6 TD-INT ratio.

UT’s stud on offense is workhorse RB John Kelly, who has rushed 97 times for 494 yards and six TDs. The junior is averaging 5.1 YPC. The Vols have won two of their three home games, but they’re 0-3 versus the number at Neyland.

The ‘under’ is 4-2 overall for USC, 2-0 in its road outings. The Gamecocks have seen their games average combined scores of 47.8 points per game. The ‘under’ is 4-1 overall for UT, 3-0 in its home games. The Vols’ games have average combined scores of 49.8 PPG.

Ole Miss (2-3 SU, 0-4-1 ATS) returns home to face Vanderbilt in a 3:30 p.m. Eastern kick on the SEC Network. Since starting 2-0 with wins vs. South Alabama (47-28) and UT-Martin (45-23), the Rebels have dropped three consecutive games by double-digit margins. They’re 0-2 in SEC play following losses at Alabama (66-3) and at Auburn (43-22).

However, Ole Miss did manage to hook up its backers in backdoor fashion as a 22-point underdog on The Plains. Auburn led 38-3 early in the third quarter and 44-17 late in the fourth, but Jordan Wilkins’s one-yard TD plunge with 2:57 remaining gave the Rebels the spread cover. Shea Patterson threw for 346 yards and two TDs without an interception. A.J. Brown had 10 receptions for 109 yards, while Van Jefferson hauled in eight catches for 89 yards.

For the season, Patterson has completed 66.3 percent of his passes for 1,792 yards with a 13/6 TD-INT ratio. Brown has 27 catches for 504 yards and four TDs, while D.K. Metcalf has 23 receptions for 320 yards and four TDs.

Ole Miss has issues galore on defense, ranking No. 111 out of 130 FBS teams in total defense. The Rebels are No. 124 at defending the run and No. 118 in scoring defense (37.4 PPG).

Vandy has lost three consecutive games since its first 3-0 start since 2011. The Commodores have lost all three games by double-digit margins, failing to cover in all three outings. They weren’t even competitive in home games vs. Alabama (59-0) and Georgia (45-14).

Although it’s been a tough three-week stretch, on that also included a 38-24 loss at Florida in a game that was closer than the final score indicated, junior QB Kyle Shurmur continues to play outstanding football. He has a 12/1 TD-INT ratio for the season.

As of late Friday afternoon, most spots had Ole Miss favored by 3.5 points with a total of 55. The Commodores were +145 to win outright.

The ‘over’ is 4-1 for the Rebels, 2-0 in their home games. They’ve seen their games average combined scores of 64.2 PPG. As for Vandy, its totals have been a wash overall (3-3) and in its road assignments (1-1).

The marquee SEC game on the docket is Auburn at LSU. This is a 3:30 p.m. Eastern kick on CBS. As of late Friday afternoon, most betting shops had Gus Malzahn’s club listed as a seven-point ‘chalk’ with a total of 44. LSU was +230 on the money line (risk $100 to win $230).

Ed Orgeron’s team bounced back from a disastrous home loss to Troy by a 24-21 count two weeks ago last weekend at The Swamp. LSU (4-2 SU, 1-4-1 ATS) went to Gainesville and won a 17-16 decision over Florida as a 1.5-point road favorite. Bettors who took LSU early in the week cashed tickets as short underdog, but the line moved from UF as a six-point favorite on Sunday night, down to 3.5 by Monday afternoon, down to 2.5 on Thursday and then to LSU as the slim favorite by late Friday. But in terms of the closing line, LSU failed to cover for the fourth consecutive game.

Derrius Guice returned to the field after missing most of the two previous games. He ran for only 50 yards on 17 attempts, however. For the season, Guice has rushed for 364 yards and five TDs while averaging 4.4 YPC. QB Danny Etling doesn’t strike fear into many DC’s, but he’s not making mistakes. The former Purdue signal caller has completed 60.2 percent of his passes for 1,046 yards with a 6/1 TD-INT ratio.

As noted earlier, Auburn (5-1 SU, 3-1-1 ATS) allowed a backdoor cover at home to Ole Miss last week, but it dominated the game. RB Kerryon Johnson stole the show by rushing 28 times for 204 yards and three TDs. Johnson missed a pair of games with injuries last month, but he has 11 rushing TDs in the last three games to bring his total to 12, which is tops in the nation.

Jarrett Stidham completed 14-of-21 passes vs. the Rebels for 235 yards and two TDs without an interception. The transfer from Baylor has five TD passes without an interception in the last three contests. For the season, Stidham has connected on 71.2 percent of his throws for 1,345 yards with a 7/2 TD-INT ratio. Johnson has rushed for 504 yards with a 5.9 YPC average. WR Ryan Davis has 31 receptions for 251 yards and three TDs.

As a road ‘chalk’ since Malzahn took over in 2013, Auburn has compiled a 6-3 spread record in nine such spots. On the flip side, LSU is 0-1 ATS in its lone home ‘dog situation since Orgeron took over, losing 10-0 to Alabama as a seven-point puppy.

Auburn is ranked 13th in the nation in total defense, 20th against the pass, 22nd versus the run and sixth in scoring defense (13.0 PPG). Totals have been a wash for AU both overall (3-3) and on the road (1-1). AU’s games have averaged combined scores of 48.8 PPG.

The ‘under’ is 4-2 overall for LSU, but the ‘over’ is 2-1 in its three home games at Tiger Stadium. LSU has seen its games average combined scores of 44.2 PPG.

Moving into the night games, Florida will host Texas A&M for the first time since the Aggies joined the league. In that first year (2012) of SEC play for A&M, it lost to Florida by a 20-17 score as a one-point home favorite in the collegiate debut of Johnny Manziel. These schools meet again at 7:00 p.m. Eastern on ESPN2.

Both coaches need a win in the worst way. As of late Friday afternoon, most books had Florida listed as a three-point ‘chalk’ with a total of 50.5. The Aggies were +130 or 135 on the money line.

UF has just been downright atrocious on offense all season. In fact, this unit has been stuck in the mud since Jim McElwain arrived from Colorado State. Remember, Florida averaged 30.3 PPG in Muschamp’s last season at the helm. Since then, the Gators have averaged 23.2 and 23.9 PPG.

Through five games, Florida (3-2 SU, 2-3 ATS) is currently ranked No. 103 in the nation in total offense and No. 93 in scoring with a 25.0 PPG average. But if you take away the three defensive TDs scored by UF on pick-sixes, it would only be averaging 20.8 PPG. That’s deplorable!

Making matters worse, Florida might not have its two best WR’s in uniform. Tryrie Cleveland (ankle) and Kadarius Toney (shoulder) were downgraded to ‘doubtful’ on Thursday and neither player has practiced all week. However, Cleveland was upgraded to ‘questionable’ on Friday and OG Brett Heggie, who was the SEC O-Lineman of the Week in a win over Vandy two weeks ago, was upgraded to ‘probable’ (concussion).

Also, UF’s best pass rusher Jabari Zuniga is ‘questionable’ after injuring his ankle at practice this week. Starting sophomore safety Chauncey Gardner is listed as ‘questionable,’ but he sent out a tweet Thursday night saying he was good to go. The other starting safety, Nick Washington, is ‘out’ with a shoulder injury.

UF has wins vs. Tennessee (26-20), at Kentucky (28-27) and vs. Vandy (38-24). Luke Del Rio was lost to a season-ending shoulder injury vs. the Commodores, so redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks was back in the starting lineup vs. LSU. For the season, Franks has connected on 63.3 percent of his passes for 665 yards with a 3/1 TD-INT ratio.

The major bright spot on an otherwise pedestrian offensive unit has been true freshman RB Malik Davis, who has run for 409 yards and two TDs with a 7.2 YPC average. RB Lamical Perine has rushed for 218 yards and five TD with a 4.4 YPC average.

Texas A&M (4-2 SU, 4-1-1 ATS) saw its four-game winning streak snapped in last week’s 27-19 loss to Alabama as a 25-point home underdog. Kevin Sumlin’s squad easily took the cash and became the first foe to play the Crimson Tide to a one-possession game. The Aggies committed three turnovers to finish minus two in turnover margin, essentially ending any upset hopes.

Kellen Mond threw for 237 yards and one TD with one pick. The true freshman QB also had a rushing score. For the season, Mond has thrown for 1,045 yards with a 7/3 TD-INT ratio. He’s also run for 266 yards and two TDs.

Sophomore RB Trayveon Williams has rushed for a team-high 422 yards and five TDs with a 5.2 YPC average. Keith Ford has run for 321 yards and seven TDs, averaging 4.7 YPC. A&M’s best playmaker is two-time All-American Christian Kirk, a junior WR who also thrives on special teams. Kirk has a team-best 27 receptions for 316 yards and five TDs. Kirk also has a 100-yard kickoff return for a TD this year, brining his career TD total on special teams to six.

During Sumlin’s tenure, Texas A&M owns a 5-7 spread record in 12 games as a road underdog. UF is 6-5 ATS as a home ‘chalk’ on McElwain’s watch.

Totals have been an overall wash (3-3) for the Aggies, but they’ve seen the ‘over’ cash in both of their road assignments (one was actually a neutral-field game at Jerry World). Their games have averaged combined scores of 62.2 PPG. Meanwhile, UF has seen the ‘over’ go 3-2 overall, but the ‘under’ is 2-1 in its three home contests. The Gators have watched their games average combined scores of 49.2 PPG.

Alabama (6-0 SU, 3-3 ATS) will play host to Arkansas at 7:15 p.m. Eastern on ESPN. As of late Friday afternoon, the Tide was installed as a 31.5-point home ‘chlak’ with a total of 54.5. This is the biggest underdog situation for the Razorbacks during Bret Bielema’s five-year tenure. In the richest previous ‘dog spot, Alabama rolled past Arkansas 52-0 as a 29.5-opint home favorite in 2013.

Arkansas (2-3 SU, 0-5 ATS) has cashed tickets at a 7-1 ATS clip in its last eight games as a road underdog. On the flip side, Nick Saban’s team is 9-15-1 ATS in its last 25 contests as a favorite of 25.5 points or more. The ‘over’ is 2-1 in Alabama’s three home games, but totals have been an overall wash (3-3) for the Tide. They’ve seen their games average combined scores of 53.3 PPG. The ‘over’ is 3-2 overall for the Hogs, 1-0 in their only road assignment. Their game have played to an average combined score of 64.0 PPG.

Austin Allen inured his shoulder in last week’s aforementioned loss at South Carolina. Nevertheless, the senior QB has been upgraded to ‘probable’ and will get the starting nod. Allen has completed 56.4 percent of his passes for 850 yards with an 8/4 TD-INT ratio, but he’s constantly been under heavy pressure due to poor play from his o-line up front.

Arkansas uses a trio of RBs – Chase Hayden, Devwah Whaley and David Williams – that have each run for at least 235 yards. Williams has a team-best five rushing TDs, while Hayden has four and Whaley has two. With top wideout Jared Cornelius sustaining a season-ending Achilles tear vs. Texas A&M, Allen has been throwing to WRs with inexperience galore. Jonathan Nance has emerged as his favorite target by catching 23 balls for 374 yards and five TDs.

Before sneaking past A&M in College Station last week, Alabama destroyed Vanderbilt 59-0 in Nashville before smashing Ole Miss, 66-3.

Along with Alabama and Auburn, Georgia (6-0 SU, 5-1 ATS) is a third SEC school in the hunt for a CFP berth. Kirby Smart’s second team is a monster favorite of 29.5 or 30 points for its 7:30 p.m. Eastern kick at home vs. Missouri. The total was 56.5 early Friday night.

UGA is 3-0 in SEC play and also has quality non-conference wins at Notre Dame and vs. Appalachian State, which is probably the best team in the Sun Belt Conference. The Bulldogs blasted Vandy 45-14 last week as 17-point road favorites. Jake Fromm threw for 102 yards and two TDs without an interception, in addition to rushing for 36 yards on four attempts.

Sony Michel ran for 150 yards and one TD on 12 carries, while Nick Chubb produced 138 rushing yards and two TDs on 16 attempts. For the season, Chubb has rushed for a team-high 618 yards and eight TDs while averaging 6.8 YPC. Fromm, the true freshman who took over at QB when Jacob Eason was injured in the first quarter of the season opener, has thrown for 836 yards with a 10/2 TD-INT ratio. He’s also run for a pair of scores.

Eason has taken snaps in mop-up duty the last two weeks, so he’s ready to go if Fromm falters or gets injured. Three UGA defensive starters are injured this week. DT Trenton Thompson and LB Natrez Patrick are ‘doubtful’ vs. Missouri, while LB Lorenzo Carter is ‘out.’

Missouri (1-4 SU, 1-4 ATS) has lost four in a row but did pull out a backdoor cover in last week’s 40-34 loss at Kentucky as a nine-point underdog. The Tigers had previously taken three straight beatdowns (at home!) vs. South Carolina (31-13), vs. Purdue (35-3) and vs. Auburn (51-14).

The ‘under’ is 5-1 overall for UGA, 3-0 in its home games. The Bulldogs have seen their games average combined scores of 45.0 PPG. UGA is ranked second in the nation in scoring defense (10.0 PPG), fifth at defending the run, third in total defense and 10th against the pass.

The ‘over’ is 3-2 overall for Missouri, 1-0 in its lone road contest.

B.E.’s Bonus Nuggets

Current Iron Bowl spread at 5Dimes.eu: Alabama -9.5 at Auburn.

Other Games of the Year number of note include Georgia -12.5 vs. Florida (Jacksonville), Alabama -22 vs. LSU, Auburn -4 vs. UGA and LSU -7 at Tennessee.

Butch Jones, the not-for-much-longer ‘caretaker’ of the Tennessee football program, produced another stellar Butch-ism at Monday’s presser in Knoxville. “You don’t have to get a physical rep to get a rep – you can get a ‘leadership rep.’ Gotcha!

One of Vandy’s best defensive linemen, Nifae Lealao, is ‘questionable’ at Ole Miss.

SEC Hot Seats

1-Butch Jones
2-Bret Bielema
3-Barry Odom
4-Kevin Sumlin
5-Jim McElwain
6-Ed Orgeron
7-Gus Malzahn
8-Derek Mason
9-Mark Stoops
10-Will Muschamp
11-Kirby Smart
12-Dan Mullen
13-Nick Saban

I obviously left Ole Miss interim head coach Matt Luke off the list. He has zero shot of keeping that gig for the long haul.

Candidates for the jobs that will open: Mullen, Louisville’s Bobby Petrino, Purdue’s Jeff Brohm, Washington State’s Mike Leach, Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables, Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy, Penn State’s James Franklin, USF’s Charlie Strong and Va. Tech’s Justin Fuente.

If Peyton Manning becomes the point man on UT’s coaching search, Duke’s David Cutcliffe could be in play. Knoxville sports radio titan Tony Basilio suggested on my Games Galore podcast two weeks ago that Manning wants to be involved in the next hire.

To be clear, I don’t think PSU’s Franklin is going anywhere. As for Mullen, I think he would jump but he’s already making nearly $5 million per season, so it’s going to costs a lot of cash to yank him out of Starkville. Bo Bounds of the Out of Bounds Show in Jackson, MS., has stated on twitter, on his radio show and as a guest on other shows that Florida AD and former Mississippi State AD will not hire Mullen to come to Florida. I haven’t heard Bo gets into many details on that matter, but he knows everything that goes on at MSU and Ole Miss, so I’ll take him at his word.

I believe it’s an absolute given that Petrino will be in the SEC next season. A clause in his contract stipulates that his buyout is reduced in half if AD Tom Jurich fired. Although that isn’t completely official yet, it will be soon. At that point, Petrino’s buyout will “only” be $4 million.

Tokens
Saturday's Week 7 Top 25 Betting Cheat Sheet

(16) Michigan Wolverines at Indiana Hoosiers (+7.5, 46.5)

* The Wolverines have converted 14-of-15 red zone trips in 2017, but only five of those scores have been touchdowns. Michigan leads the nation in yards against per game (213.0) and opponent third-down conversion rate (18.3 percent).

* The Hoosiers run an average of 81 plays per game, tops in the Big Ten and 10th in the nation. The Indiana defense has one interception through five games, making it just one of eight teams in Division I with one or fewer picks this season.

LINE: Michigan opened as a 6.5-point road favorite with that spread bet up to -7.5. The total opened 47 and is down to 46.5.

TRENDS:

* Home team is 4-1 ATS in their last five meetings.
* Wolverines are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games following a loss.
* Hoosiers are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 conference games.

(20) North Carolina State Wolfpack at Pittsburgh Panthers (+11, 54)

* The Wolfpack rank tied for third in the nation in fewest turnovers (three) and are one of only four teams that have yet to throw an interception. The NC State defense is allowing 296.3 yards per game, 121st out of 129 Division I teams.

* Panthers starting QB Max Browne will likely miss a couple of weeks with a right arm injury, while No. 1 RB Chawntez Moss has been suspended indefinitely. Pittsburgh allows 280.3 passing yards per contest, tied for 115th in the nation.

LINE: NC State opened -10 and has been raised to -11. The total has dropped from 56.5 to 54.

TRENDS:

* Wolfpack are 4-0 ATS in their last four road games.
* Panthers are 1-5-2 ATS in their last eight games overall.
* Over is 7-1-1 in Panthers last nine home games.

(7) TCU Horned Frogs at Kansas State Wildcats (+6.5, 49.5)

* The Horned Frogs TCU have converted 58.3 percent of third downs in 2017 (42-of-72), the top mark in Division I. Running back Darius Anderson averages 123 rushing yards with five touchdowns in his previous three road games.

* The Wildcats are tied for 11th in the nation in turnover margin (plus-6) and have lost just one fumble in 2017. Kansas State has outscored opponents 120-54 in the first half of games.

LINE: Texas Christian opened as a 4.5-point road favorite and has jumped to -6.5. The total dropped from 53.5 to 49.5 with action on the Under.

TRENDS:

* Horned Frogs are 5-13 ATS in their last 18 games overall.
* Wildcats are 15-7 ATS in their last 22 games following a loss.
* Over is 8-3 in Wildcats' last 11 games overall.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at (10) Miami Hurricanes (-6.5, 51.5)

* The Yellow Jackets are one of only four Division I teams to rank in the Top 20 in total offense (479.3 yards per game) and total defense (260.0). Georgia Tech has forced a three-and-out on 53.1 percent of defensive series, the nation's second-best rate.

* The Hurricanes rank inside the Top 40 in rushing yards per game (198.3) while racking up 6.4 yards per carry. Miami has converted 16 of its 17 red-zone trips into points, the 12th-best rate in Division I.

LINE: Miami has moved from -6 to -6.5 while the total dropped from 52.5 to 51.5.

TRENDS:

* Yellow Jackets are 1-7 ATS in their last eight meetings.
* Over is 4-1 in the last five meetings.
* Favorite is 7-2 ATS in their last nine meetings.

(12) Oklahoma Sooners vs. Texas Longhorns (+9, 64.5)

* Sooners QB Baker Mayfield has thrown for 280 or more yards and multiple touchdowns in each of his first five games this season. Oklahoma averages 6.8 passing plays of 20-plus yards per game - the best rate in the nation.

* The Longhorns have limited opponents to a 25 percent third-down conversion rate, good for ninth in the nation. Texas also ranks in the Top 10 in time of possession, averaging better than 33 minutes per game.

LINE: Oklahoma opened -7.5 for the Red River Rivalry and money on the Sooners pumped this line to -9. The total moved from 62.5 to 64.5.

TRENDS:

* Sooners are 0-4 ATS in their last four meetings.
* Over is 5-2 in the last seven meetings.
* Sooners are 1-6 ATS in their last seven neutral-site games.

Baylor Bears at (14) Oklahoma State Cowboys (-26, 68.5)

* The Bears have 37 tackles for loss so far in 2017, tops in the Big 12 and 35th in Division I. Baylor has converted just 21 of 71 third-down opportunities, ranking 122nd in the nation.

* Only UCLA has been more prolific through the air than the Cowboys, who average 399.2 passing yards per game. But Oklahoma State ranks outside the Top 100 nationally in opponent third-down conversion rate (46.3 percent).

LINE: Oklahoma State opened -23.5 and has been bet up to 26, while the total moved from 72 to 68.5.

TRENDS:

* Favorite is 14-4 ATS in their last 18 meetings.
* Home team is 11-4 ATS in their last 15 meetings.
* Over is 5-2-1 in the last eight meetings in Oklahoma State.

Purdue Boilermakers at (6) Wisconsin Badgers (-17, 50)

* The Boilermakers have scored on 19 of their 20 trips to the red zone, tied for the eighth-best rate in the country. Purdue completes a pass to an average of 8.8 receivers per game, fifth-most in Division I.

* Badgers RB Jonathan Taylor has scored a rushing touchdown in all five games this season, and he leads the Big Ten in yards per game on the ground (153.4). Wisconsin ranks fourth in rushing defense (81.4 ypg).

LINE: Wisconsin opened -17 and has remained steady at that spead. The total has dipped from 51.5 to 50.

TRENDS:

* Favorite is 9-1 ATS in their last 10 meetings.
* Road team is 4-1 ATS in their last five meetings.
* Boilermakers are 1-10 ATS in their last 11 meetings.

(11) Auburn Tigers at LSU Tigers (+7, 43.5)

* The Tigers have won three straight SEC games by 20 or more points for the first time in 30 years. Auburn is a perfect 14-for-14 in the red zone in conference play, with touchdowns accounting for 12 of those scores.

* LSU LB Devin White averages 10.2 tackles per game in 2017, the best rate in the SEC. The Tigers' defense has held foes to five touchdowns in the first half of its previous 11 games dating back to last season.

LINE: Auburn opened as a 6-point road favorite and is now giving a touchdown at LSU. The total opened at 47 and has moved to 43.5.

TRENDS:

* Home team is 7-1 ATS in their last eight meetings.
* Auburn is 4-1 ATS in their last five meetings.
* Under is 12-5 in the last 17 meetings.

(24) Navy Midshipmen at Memphis Tigers (-3, 71)

* The Midshipmen trail only Army in rush attempts (317) and yards (2,071) and lead the nation in yards per game (414.2). QB Zach Abey has accounted for 10 touchdowns (three passing, seven rushing) over the past three games.

* The Tigers have 12 takeaways through five games, good for 21st in the nation. But Memphis ranks 93rd in run defense (187.2 yards per game) while allowing opponents to gain 4.6 yards per carry.

LINE: Memphis opened -2.5 and is now at a field-goal favorite while the total plummeted from 76.5 to 71 points.

TRENDS:

* Midshipmen are 5-1 ATS in their last six road games.
* Tigers are 2-9 ATS in their last 11 vs. a team with a winning record.
* Over is 12-4 in Midshipmen last 16 conference games.

East Carolina Pirates at (21) Central Florida Golden Knights (-36, 70)

* East Carolina ranks 124th out of 129 Division I teams in rushing yards per game (94.0), while only four teams average fewer than the Pirates' 2.85 YPC. Receiver Davon Grayson has 16 catches for 299 yards and three scores in two road games.

* The Knights are one of only two teams to average better than six touchdowns per game, and one of just three schools to boast a yards-per-pass average in double digits. Central Florida ranks second in the nation in turnover margin per game (plus-2).

LINE: This spread has moved an entire touchdown from UCF -29 to -36. The total has also moved from 74 to 69.5.

TRENDS:

* Over is 5-1 in the last six meetings.
* Pirates are 2-6 ATS in their last eight meetings.
* Pirates are 10-29 ATS in their last 39 games overall.

Arkansas Razorbacks at (1) Alabama Crimson Tide (-31.5, 54)

* Redshirt freshman QB Austin Allen is optimistic he'll play this week after suffering a shoulder injury last week vs. South Carolina. Arkansas is allowing teams to convert nearly 42 percent of third downs, ranking just inside the Top 100 nationally.

* The Crimson Tide are allowing an NCAA-low 73.3 rushing yards per game and have limited foes to just two rushing scores through six games. Alabama has rushed for 140 or more yards in all six games this season, and 29 times in its last 36 contests.

LINE: Alabama opened at -29.5 and has been bet up to -31.5. The total has gone from 55 to 54 points.

TRENDS:

* Razorbacks are 1-5 ATS in their last six road games.
* Crimson Tide are 8-2 ATS in their last 10 conference games.
* Under is 27-13 in Crimson Tide last 40 vs. a team with a losing record.

Missouri Tigers at (5) Georgia Bulldogs (-29.5, 56.5)

* The Tigers average 15.97 yards per completion in 2017, the best mark in the SEC and good for eighth nationally. Missouri also sits fifth in Division I in average tackles for loss allowed (3.20).

* Georgia outgained Vanderbilt and Tennessee 717-126 on the ground over the previous two weeks and averages 268.3 rushing yards for the season, ranking 11th in the nation. The Bulldogs are a perfect 23-for-23 in the red zone through six games.

LINE: Georgia has moved from -28 to -29.5 while the total has stayed steady at 56.5 points.

TRENDS:

* Road team is 4-1 ATS in their last five meetings.
* Tigers are 4-11 ATS in their last 15 conference games.
* Bulldogs are 2-6 ATS in last eight vs. a team with a losing record.

Cincinnati Bearcats at (15) South Florida Bulls (-23.5, 65)

* The Bearcats have been outscored 62-24 in the first quarter of games. Cincinnati has led for only 53:57 so far in 2017, while trailing or sitting tied for 344:57 of total game time.

* The Bulls are allowing just 74.4 rushing yards per game - second-fewest in Division I - and lead the nation with 14 interceptions. RBs Darius Tice and D'Ernest Johnson and QB Quinton Flowers have accounted for 16 of USF's 17 rushing scores.

LINE: The Bulls opened -24.5 but action on the underdog has slimmed this spread to -23.5. The total dropped from 70.5 to 65 points.

TRENDS:

* Over is 4-1 in the last five meetings in South Florida.
* Home team is 4-1 ATS in their last five meetings.
* Bearcats are 9-4 ATS in their last 13 meetings.

(8 ) Ohio State Buckeyes at Nebraska Cornhuskers (+24.5, 58)

* The Buckeyes have allowed fewer than 100 passing yards in four consecutive games and rank first nationally with 57 tackles for loss. Quarterback J.T. Barrett's 16:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio is second-best in Division I.

* Nebraska has five individual 100-yard rushing games in 2017, one more than it had all of last season. Receiver Stanley Morgan Jr. leads the Big Ten in receiving yards (510) and receiving touchdowns (five).

LINE: The Buckeyes opened as 24.5-point road favorites and have stayed steady entering the weekend. The total has moved from 54.5 to 58 points.

TRENDS:

* Buckeyes are 44-20-1 ATS in their last 65 road games.
* Cornhuskers are 0-4 ATS in their last four home games.
* Under is 11-3 in Cornhuskers last 14 conference games.

(22) Michigan State Spartans at Minnesota Golden Gophers (+4, 40)

* The Spartans have a plus-7 turnover differential in their last two games (seven for, zero against) after a minus-6 showing in their first three contests. Michigan State is one of 14 Division I teams allowing fewer than 100 rushing yards per game (97.2).

* The Golden Gophers have picked up just 21 penalties through five games, with its 4.2 penalties-per-game average good for 11th nationally. Quarterback Conor Rhoda ranks second in the Big Ten in yards per completion (14.56).

LINE: Michigan State has stayed as a 4-point road favorite at Minnesota while the total has moved just half a point from 40.5 to 40.

TRENDS:

* Underdog is 11-2 ATS in their last 13 meetings.
* Under is 5-2 in the last seven meetings.
* Spartans are 1-6 ATS in their last seven meetings.

(23) Utah Utes at (13) USC Trojans (-13, 52.5)

* Utes QB Tyler Huntley is questionable after he suffered a shoulder injury Oct. 2 in Arizona. Utah is also one of 10 teams with at least 14 turnovers so far this season, racking up nine interceptions and five fumbles recovered.

* The Trojans average 13.2 points in the fourth quarter, easily its highest-scoring period. Southern Cal has limited opponents to a 68-percent red zone conversation rate, best in the Pac-12 and 12th in the nation.

LINE: Southern California has stayed steady at -13 since opening while the total has dropped from 53.5 to 52.5.

TRENDS:

* Home team is 6-0 ATS in their last six meetings.
* Utes are 14-3 ATS in last 17 road games vs. team with winning home record.
* Under is 7-3 in Trojans last 10 home games.

Boise State Broncos at (18) San Diego State Aztecs (-6.5, 46)

* The Broncos rank 18th in the nation in run defense (105.8 yards per game) while limiting foes to a 3.1 YPC average. But Boise State is drawing just four penalties per contest, the fifth-fewest in all of Division I.

* The Aztecs' plus-8 turnover margin is tied for fifth-best nationally, and they lead Division I with a plus-44 margin since the beginning of the 2015 season. Running back Rashaad Penny has at least 139 all-purpose yards and a score in all six games this season.

LINE: San Diego State opened as a 7.5-point home favorite but money on the road team has this spread at SDSU -6.5. The total slimmed one point from 47 to 46.

TRENDS:

* Broncos are 0-4 ATS in their last four meetings.
* Broncos are 5-12 ATS in their last 17 games overall.
* Aztecs are 18-6-2 ATS in their last 26 conference games.

(4) Washington Huskies at Arizona State Sun Devils (+17.5, 56)

* The Huskies rank third in the nation in touchdowns (35), with QB Jake Browning responsible for nearly half of those (17). Running back Myles Gaskin is heating up, rushing for 406 yards and six scores over his last three games.

* Defensive end Alani Latu, who has 5.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks in five games, will be moved into a pass-rush position; the Sun Devils have struggled in that area since losing top pass-rusher Koron Crump in Week 3. Arizona State has forced just five turnovers.

LINE: The Huskies opened as 17.5-point road chalk and have remained there entering the weekend. The total opened at 60 points and is down to 54.

TRENDS:

* Under is 5-1 in the last six meetings.
* Favorite is 9-2 ATS in their last 11 meetings.
* Huskies are 2-14-2 ATS in their last 18 meetings.

Oregon Ducks at (25) Stanford Cardinal (-10, 55.5)

* The Ducks are one of only two teams to rank in the Top 20 nationally in rushing yards (239.3) on fewer than 5.0 YPC. Oregon's 24 sacks lead Division I and are just one shy of the Ducks' entire 2016 tally.

* The Cardinal offensive line hasn't surrendered a sack in three straight games, all Stanford victories. Running back Bryce Love has 150 rushing yards and a touchdown in every game this season, and leads Division I by nearly 250 rushing yards.

LINE: The Cardinal opened as 12-point home favorites and have been bet down to -10 with action on the Ducks. The total moved from 57.5 to 55.5.

TRENDS:

* Over is 5-1 in the last six meetings in Stanford.
* Over is 10-2 in the last 12 meetings.
* Ducks are 5-2 ATS in their last seven meetings in Stanford.

Tokens
Additional CFB Trends

BRIGHAM YOUNG @ MISSISSIPPI STATE
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Brigham Young's last 6 games on the road
Brigham Young is 6-3 ATS in its last 9 games on the road
Mississippi State is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games
Mississippi State is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games at home

SOUTH CAROLINA @ TENNESSEE
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of South Carolina's last 6 games when playing on the road against Tennessee
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of South Carolina's last 5 games
Tennessee is 15-2 SU in its last 17 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tennessee's last 6 games when playing at home against South Carolina

FLORIDA STATE @ DUKE
Florida State is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Duke
Florida State is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Duke
Duke is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Duke's last 5 games

NORTH CAROLINA STATE @ PITTSBURGH
North Carolina State is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games
North Carolina State is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
Pittsburgh is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home
The total has gone OVER in 7 of Pittsburgh's last 9 games at home

RUTGERS @ ILLINOIS
Rutgers is 8-15 ATS in its last 23 games
Rutgers is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Illinois's last 5 games at home
Illinois is 4-9 SU in its last 13 games at home

MICHIGAN @ INDIANA
Michigan is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Indiana
Michigan is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Indiana
Indiana is 5-2 ATS in its last 7 games
Indiana is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games at home

KANSAS @ IOWA STATE
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Kansas's last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Kansas's last 8 games when playing on the road against Iowa State
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Iowa State's last 8 games when playing at home against Kansas
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Iowa State's last 7 games when playing Kansas

TEXAS CHRISTIAN @ KANSAS STATE
Texas Christian is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
Texas Christian is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games on the road
Kansas State is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games at home
Kansas State is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games

TEXAS TECH @ WEST VIRGINIA
Texas Tech is 5-0-1 ATS in its last 6 games
Texas Tech is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
West Virginia is 12-1 SU in its last 13 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of West Virginia's last 5 games when playing Texas Tech

CONNECTICUT @ TEMPLE
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Connecticut's last 8 games when playing Temple
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Connecticut's last 5 games
Temple is 10-1 ATS in its last 11 games when playing Connecticut
Temple is 9-1 SU in its last 10 games at home

EASTERN MICHIGAN @ ARMY
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Eastern Michigan's last 5 games
Eastern Michigan is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Army is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing Eastern Michigan
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Army's last 5 games when playing Eastern Michigan

BOSTON COLLEGE @ LOUISVILLE
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Boston College's last 5 games on the road
Boston College is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
Louisville is 14-5 SU in its last 19 games at home
Louisville is 18-7 SU in its last 25 games

NEVADA-LAS VEGAS @ AIR FORCE
The total has gone OVER in 8 of Nevada-Las Vegas's last 9 games when playing Air Force
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Nevada-Las Vegas's last 5 games when playing on the road against Air Force
The total has gone OVER in 8 of Air Force's last 9 games when playing Nevada-Las Vegas
Air Force is 20-4 SU in its last 24 games at home

OLD DOMINION @ MARSHALL
Old Dominion is 11-4 SU in its last 15 games
The total has gone OVER in 15 of Old Dominion's last 21 games on the road
Marshall is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
Marshall is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games

GEORGIA TECH @ MIAMI-FL
Georgia Tech is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
Georgia Tech is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Miami-FL is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
Miami-FL is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games

AUBURN @ LOUISIANA STATE
Auburn is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Auburn's last 5 games on the road
Louisiana State is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Auburn
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Louisiana State's last 5 games when playing at home against Auburn

VANDERBILT @ MISSISSIPPI
Vanderbilt is 8-1 ATS in its last 9 games when playing on the road against Mississippi
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Vanderbilt's last 6 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Mississippi's last 5 games when playing at home against Vanderbilt
The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Mississippi's last 11 games when playing Vanderbilt

VIRGINIA @ NORTH CAROLINA
Virginia is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Virginia's last 7 games when playing on the road against North Carolina
North Carolina is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Virginia
North Carolina is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games when playing Virginia

BAYLOR @ OKLAHOMA STATE
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Baylor's last 6 games on the road
Baylor is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Oklahoma State
Oklahoma State is 10-1 SU in its last 11 games when playing at home against Baylor
Oklahoma State is 8-1 ATS in its last 9 games when playing at home against Baylor

NORTHWESTERN @ MARYLAND
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Northwestern's last 8 games on the road
Northwestern is 11-4 ATS in its last 15 games on the road
No trends to report

PURDUE @ WISCONSIN
Purdue is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Purdue is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games
Wisconsin is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Purdue
Wisconsin is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home

TEXAS @ OKLAHOMA
The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Texas's last 12 games
Texas is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Oklahoma's last 5 games
Oklahoma is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games when playing Texas

AKRON @ WESTERN MICHIGAN
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Akron's last 6 games on the road
Akron is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
Western Michigan is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
Western Michigan is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games when playing Akron

OHIO @ BOWLING GREEN
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Ohio's last 6 games when playing Bowling Green
Ohio is 10-2 ATS in its last 12 games on the road
Bowling Green is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Ohio
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Bowling Green's last 6 games when playing Ohio

NORTHERN ILLINOIS @ BUFFALO
Northern Illinois is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Buffalo
Northern Illinois is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Buffalo is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
Buffalo is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games at home

MIAMI-OH @ KENT STATE
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Miami-OH's last 6 games when playing Kent State
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Miami-OH's last 6 games when playing on the road against Kent State
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Kent State's last 6 games when playing at home against Miami-OH
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Kent State's last 6 games when playing Miami-OH

TOLEDO @ CENTRAL MICHIGAN
Toledo is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Central Michigan
Toledo is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Central Michigan
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Central Michigan's last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Central Michigan's last 7 games when playing at home against Toledo

MASSACHUSETTS @ SOUTH FLORIDA
Massachusetts is 8-3 ATS in its last 11 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Massachusetts's last 7 games on the road
South Florida is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
South Florida is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home

NAVY @ MEMPHIS
Navy is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
Navy is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Memphis is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home
Memphis is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games

COLORADO @ OREGON STATE
Colorado is 7-1 ATS in its last 8 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Colorado's last 5 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Oregon State's last 6 games
Oregon State is 8-17 ATS in its last 25 games at home

HOUSTON @ TULSA
Houston is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Tulsa
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Houston's last 5 games when playing on the road against Tulsa
Tulsa is 8-2 SU in its last 10 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Tulsa's last 5 games when playing at home against Houston

CHARLOTTE @ WESTERN KENTUCKY
Charlotte is 4-7-1 ATS in its last 12 games on the road
Charlotte is 2-7 ATS in its last 9 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Western Kentucky's last 5 games
Western Kentucky is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games at home

WYOMING @ UTAH STATE
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Wyoming's last 5 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Wyoming's last 8 games when playing Utah State
Utah State is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing Wyoming
Utah State is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Wyoming

APPALACHIAN STATE @ IDAHO
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Appalachian State's last 6 games on the road
Appalachian State is 12-3 SU in its last 15 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Idaho's last 5 games at home
Idaho is 10-2-1 ATS in its last 13 games

GEORGIA STATE @ LOUISIANA-MONROE
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Georgia State's last 8 games on the road
Georgia State is 13-3 ATS in its last 16 games on the road
Louisiana-Monroe is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games

NEW MEXICO STATE @ GEORGIA SOUTHERN
New Mexico State is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games
New Mexico State is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Georgia Southern is 18-6 SU in its last 24 games at home
Georgia Southern is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home

MIDDLE TENNESSEE @ ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Middle Tennessee's last 6 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Middle Tennessee's last 6 games on the road
Alabama-Birmingham is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games
Alabama-Birmingham is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games at home

TEXAS A&M @ FLORIDA
Texas A&M is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Texas A&M's last 11 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 8 of Florida's last 10 games
Florida is 17-5 SU in its last 22 games at home

TEXAS-SAN ANTONIO @ NORTH TEXAS
Texas-San Antonio is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
Texas-San Antonio is 5-2 ATS in its last 7 games
The total has gone OVER in 6 of North Texas's last 7 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of North Texas's last 5 games at home

TULANE @ FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
Tulane is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games
Tulane is 8-4 ATS in its last 12 games on the road
Florida International is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games at home
Florida International is 3-7-1 ATS in its last 11 games at home

TEXAS EL PASO @ SOUTHERN MISS
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Texas El Paso's last 5 games when playing Southern Miss
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Texas El Paso's last 6 games on the road
Southern Miss is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Southern Miss's last 5 games when playing Texas El Paso

EAST CAROLINA @ CENTRAL FLORIDA
The total has gone OVER in 5 of East Carolina's last 6 games when playing Central Florida
The total has gone OVER in 4 of East Carolina's last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Central Florida's last 6 games when playing East Carolina
Central Florida is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games

COASTAL CAROLINA @ ARKANSAS STATE
Coastal Carolina is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Coastal Carolina is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games
Arkansas State is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games at home
Arkansas State is 10-3 SU in its last 13 games

ARKANSAS @ ALABAMA
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Arkansas's last 8 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Arkansas's last 6 games when playing Alabama
Alabama is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
Alabama is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Arkansas

MISSOURI @ GEORGIA
The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Missouri's last 11 games on the road
Missouri is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing Georgia
Georgia is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
Georgia is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games

OHIO STATE @ NEBRASKA
Ohio State is 18-2 SU in its last 20 games on the road
Ohio State is 18-3 SU in its last 21 games
Nebraska is 10-2 SU in its last 12 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Nebraska's last 9 games at home

CINCINNATI @ SOUTH FLORIDA
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Cincinnati's last 5 games when playing on the road against South Florida
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Cincinnati's last 7 games on the road
South Florida is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
South Florida is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home

UTAH @ SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Utah is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Utah's last 8 games
Southern California is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
Southern California is 14-1 SU in its last 15 games

MICHIGAN STATE @ MINNESOTA
Michigan State is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Minnesota
Michigan State is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
Minnesota is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games when playing Michigan State
Minnesota is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games at home

CALIFORNIA-LOS ANGELES @ ARIZONA
California-Los Angeles is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Arizona
California-Los Angeles is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Arizona
Arizona is 5-2 ATS in its last 7 games when playing at home against California-Los Angele
Arizona is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games

NEW MEXICO @ FRESNO STATE
New Mexico is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of New Mexico's last 5 games on the road
Fresno State is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games at home
Fresno State is 6-0-1 ATS in its last 7 games

NEVADA @ COLORADO STATE
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Nevada's last 5 games when playing Colorado State
The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Nevada's last 11 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Colorado State's last 5 games when playing Nevada
Colorado State is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing at home against Nevada

BOISE STATE @ SAN DIEGO STATE
Boise State is 15-5 SU in its last 20 games
Boise State is 9-3 ATS in its last 12 games on the road
San Diego State is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
San Diego State is 12-1 SU in its last 13 games at home

WASHINGTON @ ARIZONA STATE
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Washington's last 5 games on the road
Washington is 10-1 SU in its last 11 games on the road
Arizona State is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing at home against Washington
Arizona State is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Washington

OREGON @ STANFORD
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Oregon's last 5 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 10 of Oregon's last 12 games when playing Stanford
The total has gone OVER in 10 of Stanford's last 12 games when playing Oregon
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Stanford's last 6 games when playing at home against Oregon

SAN JOSE STATE @ HAWAII
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of San Jose State's last 8 games when playing Hawaii
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of San Jose State's last 8 games
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Hawaii's last 8 games when playing San Jose State
Hawaii is 11-4 SU in its last 15 games when playing San Jose State

Tokens
StatFox Super Situations

ARKANSAS at ALABAMA
Play On - Favorites of 21.5 to 31 points (ALABAMA) outrushing their opponents by 100 or more yards/game on the season, after outrushing opponent by 150 or more yards in 2 straight games 29-8 over the last 10 seasons. ( 78.4% | 20.2 units ) 0-1 this year. ( 0.0% | -1.1 units )

RUTGERS at ILLINOIS
Play Against - All teams with a money line of +135 to -155 (ILLINOIS) bad team - outscored by opponents by 10 or more points/game, after a playing a game where 60 total points or more were scored 125-70 since 1997. ( 64.1% | 0.0 units ) 3-0 this year. ( 100.0% | 0.0 units )

VIRGINIA at N CAROLINA
Play Under - All teams where the first half total is 25 to 28 in conference games, game between two teams with 5 or less offensive starters returning 46-18 over the last 5 seasons. ( 71.9% | 26.2 units ) 6-4 this year. ( 60.0% | 1.6 units )

MISSOURI at GEORGIA
Play On - Favorites of 21.5 to 31 points (GEORGIA) outrushing their opponents by 100 or more yards/game on the season, after outrushing opponent by 150 or more yards in 2 straight games 29-8 over the last 10 seasons. ( 78.4% | 20.2 units ) 0-1 this year. ( 0.0% | -1.1 units )

Tokens
Saturday’s NCAAF Game of the day:

Utah Utes at Southern California Trojans (-13, 52.5)

Five of the six teams in the Pac-12 South Division have one loss and two will meet up Saturday when No. 13 USC hosts No. 23 Utah at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Stanford moved to No. 25 in the coaches' poll after handing the Utes their first loss of the season last weekend, while the Trojans bounced back from their only defeat two weeks ago against No. 9 Washington State by defeating Oregon State on Saturday.

Troy Williams led Utah to nine wins last season, including a 31-27 victory against visiting USC, but the Los Angeles-area native lost the starting quarterback job this season to sophomore Tyler Huntley, who hasn't played since suffering a shoulder injury against Arizona on Sept. 22. Williams was back in the starting lineup last weekend against Stanford, but was intercepted twice late in the game to spoil the comeback, and coach Kyle Whittingham wasn't ready to commit to a starter against the Trojans earlier this week.

USC has also been dinged by injuries, particularly at wide receiver and the offensive line, but starters are beginning to filter back and the Trojans still have their best two offensive weapons in quarterback Sam Darnold and running back Ronald Jones II. Darnold, who made his first career start against the Utes last season, has been steady but not as spectacular as many envisioned heading into this season.

TV: 8 p.m. ET, ABC.

LINE HISTORY: The Trojans opened as 12.5 point chalk and have been bet up half a point to 13-point favorites. The total was as high as 54 earlier this week but is sitting at 52.5 heading into Saturday.

INJURY REPORT:

Utah - QB Tyler Huntley (Doubtful, Arm), DL Kylie Fitts (Questionable, Leg).

USC - LB Hunter Echols (Out, Hip), RB Stephen Carr (Out, Foot), T Nathan Smith (Out, Knee), DT Marlon Tuipulotu (Out for season, Back), LS Damon Johnson (Questionable, Concussion), DL Jacob LIchtenstein (Questionable, Back), DL Jay Tufele (Questionable, Back).

ABOUT UTAH (4-1 SU, 4-0-1 ATS, 1-4 O/U): The Utes have a difference maker on defense in linebacker Sunia Tauteoli, who recorded 11 tackles in last week's loss to Stanford, including 3 1/2 for losses. He's not only big, fast and athletic, but the 26-year-old is more mature physically and mentally than most of his opponents. Stanford running back Bryce Love rushed for 152 yards against Utah last week, averaging 7.6 yards a carry, but even those were seasons lows, and Love told reporters after the game, “No. 10 was flying around from sideline to sideline,” in reference to Tauteoli.

ABOUT USC (5-1 SU, 1-5 ATS, 2-4 O/U): Leading receiver Deontay Burnett is among the injured Trojans they hope to get back on the field this week. He practiced lightly on Tuesday after leaving the game Saturday with a toe injury, the second time this season he has been slowed by injury. Second-leading receiver Stephen Mitchell Jr. returned Saturday after missing two games with a groin injury, but Jalen Greene has remained sidelined the past two games with a concussion, another reason USC burned the redshirt year of freshmen wide receiver Randal Grimes against Oregon State.

TRENDS:

*Utes are 5-0 ATS in their last five road games.
*Utes are 5-1-1 ATS in their last seven conference games.
*The Under is 7-1 in the Utes' last eight games overall.
*The Trojans are 0-4 ATS in their last four games.
*The home team is 6-0 ATS in the last six meetings between these two teams.

CONSENSUS: The road underdog Utah is getting 64 percent support among the Covers Consensus users and 56 percent of people like the Over to cash in this contest.

Tokens
NHL Knowledge

Penguins won six of last seven games with Florida; home side won 7 of last 9 series games. Panthers lost their last five visits to Steel City. Under is 2-1-1 in last four series games. Florida won 2 of its first 3 games (over 3-0), losing 5-3 at Tampa Bay in its only road game. Penguins are 2-3 to start season (over 3-2), splitting pair of home games.

Carolina won three of last four games with Winnipeg; they split last six visits to Manitoba. Under is 6-2 in last eight series games. Hurricanes split their first two games (over 1-1), both of which were home, one went OT, the other SO. Winnipeg split its first four games (over 4-0), losing 7-2 to Toronto in its only home game- they won their last two games.

Washington won its last three games with Philly, holding Flyers to two goals; under is 4-0-3 in last seven series games. Caps are 3-2 in their last five games in this building. Washington is 3-2 to start the season (over 4-1), winning 2 of 3 road games. Flyers opened season with a 2-2 road trip- this is their home opener.

Blues won six of last seven games with Tampa Bay; they’re 3-2 in last five games in this building. Over is 5-3 in last eight series games. St Louis won 4 of its first 5 games (over 3-2), with three of those four on the road. Lightning is 3-1, winning all three home games (scored 14 goals in 3 games); all four of their games went over.

Montreal won its last ten games with Toronto; under is 4-1 in last five series games. Canadiens outscored Leafs 18-11 in last five series games played here. Toronto won 3 of its first four games (over 4-0), winning 7-2 at Winnipeg in its only road game. Montreal lost 3 of last 4 games (under 2-1-1) losing 3-1 to Chicago in their home opener.

Rangers won 3 of last 4 games with New Jersey; last three series games went OT/SO; Devils were outscored 10-3 in losing last three visits to Manhattan. Over is 2-0-3 in last five series games. New Jersey won 3 of first 4 games (over 3-0-1); they won first two road games, scoring 6 goals in both games. New York lost 4 of first five games; their last three games stayed under. Rangers are 1-2 at home this season.

Columbus won 7 of last 9 games with Minnesota; under is 7-2-1 in last ten series games. Blue Jackets won 4 of last 5 games in Twin Cities. Columbus won 3 of first 4 games (over 2-2), winning 2 of first 3 on road- they beat Rangers 3-1 at home Friday. Wild lost 2 of their first 3 games (over 3-0), all on road- this is their home opener.

Dallas won its last four games with Colorado; home side won 5 of last 6 series games. Over is 5-2 in last seven series games. Avalanche lost their last four visits to Texas. Colorado won its last three games, allowing total of four goals; they’re 2-1 on road. Over is 2-2-1 in their games. Dallas Stars lost 3 of first 4 games (over 2-2), splitting pair of home games.

Nashville swept Blackhawks out of playoffs last spring; they won 1-0/5-0 in last two visits to the Windy City. Predators are 2-2 this season (over 2-2), 0-2 on road, losing 4-3/4-0 at Boston/Pittsburgh. Chicago is 3-2 this season (over 4-1), scoring total of 8 goals in last three games; they won two of their three home games (over 3-0).

Bruins won their last ten games vs Arizona; 6 of those 10 games were in the desert. Last two series games stayed under. Bruins lost 2 of their first 3 games (over 2-1); they lost 6-3 at Colorado in their road opener. Arizona is 0-4 to start season (over 3-1), 0-2 at home- two of their losses were to an expansion team. Coyotes scored 5 goals in their last 3 games.

Ottawa won five of its last six games with Edmonton (over 4-2); Senators won their last three visits to Edmonton. Ottawa won 6-0 in Calgary last nite; three of their four games went OT/SO (over 2-2). Oilers lost 2 of first 3 games, scoring total of 7 goals (under 2-1)- they split their first two home games.

Home side won last seven Calgary-Vancouver games; Flames lost 2-1so/4-2/2-1ot in their last three games in this building. Under is 3-1-1 in last five series games. Calgary is 3-2 this year (over 3-2); they were shut out in both losses, including a 6-0 home loss Friday- they’re 2-0 on the road. Canucks lost 2 of their first 3 games, scoring total of 7 goals (under 2-1)- they still haven’t played a road game.

Sabres lost 2-0 in each of their last four visits to Staples Center!!! Home side won last eight Buffalo-Los Angeles games- under is 5-1 in last six series games. Buffalo was outscored 18-9 in losing first four games this season (over 2-1-1); they lost 6-3/3-2 in their two road games. Kings are 2-1 to start season (over 1-1-1); they split their first two home games, scoring five goals.

Sharks are 6-4 in their last ten games with the Islanders; over is 4-2-1 in last seven series tilts. New York is 2-3 in its last five visits to San Jose. Islanders lost 3 of first four games (under 3-1), losing 5-0/3-2 in their first two road games. Sharks lost 2 of first 3 games, scoring total of 7 goals (over 1-1-1); they haven’t played a road game yet, either.

Tokens
NHL Long Sheet
FLORIDA (2-1-0-0, 4 pts.) at PITTSBURGH (2-2-0-1, 5 pts.)

Top Trends for this game.
PITTSBURGH is 40-17 ATS (+16.8 Units) after allowing 4 goals or more over the last 3 seasons.

Head-to-Head Series History
PITTSBURGH is 5-1 (+4.2 Units) against the spread versus FLORIDA over the last 3 seasons
PITTSBURGH is 5-1-0 straight up against FLORIDA over the last 3 seasons
2 of 3 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+0.9 Units)

CAROLINA (1-0-0-1, 3 pts.) at WINNIPEG (2-2-0-0, 4 pts.)

CAROLINA is 61-90 ATS (-36.5 Units) when playing with 3 or more days rest since 1996.
CAROLINA is 64-121 ATS (+212.5 Units) in road games in non-conference games since 1996.

CAROLINA is 3-1 (+2.2 Units) against the spread versus WINNIPEG over the last 3 seasons
CAROLINA is 3-1-0 straight up against WINNIPEG over the last 3 seasons
2 of 4 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+0.3 Units)

WASHINGTON (3-1-0-1, 7 pts.) at PHILADELPHIA (2-2-0-0, 4 pts.)

There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

WASHINGTON is 9-5 (+0.3 Units) against the spread versus PHILADELPHIA over the last 3 seasons
WASHINGTON is 9-5-0 straight up against PHILADELPHIA over the last 3 seasons
7 of 10 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+3.9 Units)

ST LOUIS (4-1-0-0, 8 pts.) at TAMPA BAY (3-1-0-0, 6 pts.)

ST LOUIS is 166-159 ATS (+342.9 Units) in a road game where where the total is 5.5 since 1996.
ST LOUIS is 112-91 ATS (+204.8 Units) in road games after a non-conference game since 1996.
ST LOUIS is 124-87 ATS (+37.0 Units) in road games in non-conference games since 1996.
ST LOUIS is 32-22 ATS (+58.6 Units) in road games when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 3 seasons.

ST LOUIS is 3-1 (+2.1 Units) against the spread versus TAMPA BAY over the last 3 seasons
ST LOUIS is 3-1-0 straight up against TAMPA BAY over the last 3 seasons
2 of 4 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+0.0 Units)

TORONTO (3-1-0-0, 6 pts.) at MONTREAL (1-3-0-0, 2 pts.)

TORONTO is 358-384 ATS (-114.0 Units) when playing against a team with a losing record since 1996.
MONTREAL is 96-72 ATS (+169.3 Units) after 3 or more consecutive losses since 1996.
MONTREAL is 28-39 ATS (-26.0 Units) in home games when playing with 3 or more days rest since 1996.

MONTREAL is 8-0 (+8.1 Units) against the spread versus TORONTO over the last 3 seasons
MONTREAL is 8-0-0 straight up against TORONTO over the last 3 seasons
5 of 7 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+2.5 Units)

NEW JERSEY (3-1-0-0, 6 pts.) at NY RANGERS (1-4-0-0, 2 pts.)

NEW JERSEY is 4-4 (+1.5 Units) against the spread versus NY RANGERS over the last 3 seasons
NY RANGERS is 4-4-0 straight up against NEW JERSEY over the last 3 seasons
3 of 5 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+0.8 Units)

COLUMBUS (3-1-0-0, 6 pts.) at MINNESOTA (1-1-0-1, 3 pts.)

COLUMBUS is 2-2 (+0.1 Units) against the spread versus MINNESOTA over the last 3 seasons
MINNESOTA is 2-2-0 straight up against COLUMBUS over the last 3 seasons
2 of 4 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+0.3 Units)

COLORADO (4-1-0-0, 8 pts.) at DALLAS (1-3-0-0, 2 pts.)

DALLAS is 12-2 ATS (+8.9 Units) in home games after a loss by 2 goals or more in their previous game over the last 2 seasons.
DALLAS is 13-2 ATS (+9.8 Units) in home games after scoring 1 goal or less in their previous game over the last 3 seasons.
COLORADO is 74-57 ATS (+132.6 Units) in a road game where where the total is 6 or more since 1996.
COLORADO is 22-20 ATS (+52.3 Units) in road games first half of the season over the last 3 seasons.
DALLAS is 35-51 ATS (-17.7 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
DALLAS is 9-22 ATS (-18.5 Units) vs. division opponents over the last 2 seasons.
DALLAS is 11-27 ATS (-18.3 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.

DALLAS is 6-3 (+1.7 Units) against the spread versus COLORADO over the last 3 seasons
DALLAS is 6-3-0 straight up against COLORADO over the last 3 seasons
6 of 9 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+2.9 Units)

NASHVILLE (2-2-0-0, 4 pts.) at CHICAGO (3-1-0-1, 7 pts.)

NASHVILLE is 12-25 ATS (-15.8 Units) in road games first half of the season over the last 3 seasons.
NASHVILLE is 3-13 ATS (-10.5 Units) in road games after a win by 2 goals or more over the last 2 seasons.
NASHVILLE is 14-22 ATS (-15.3 Units) after scoring 4 goals or more in their previous game over the last 2 seasons.
NASHVILLE is 36-23 ATS (+11.7 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.

NASHVILLE is 7-7 (+0.6 Units) against the spread versus CHICAGO over the last 3 seasons
CHICAGO is 7-7-0 straight up against NASHVILLE over the last 3 seasons
4 of 6 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+1.9 Units)

BOSTON (1-2-0-0, 2 pts.) at ARIZONA (0-3-0-1, 1 pts.)

ARIZONA is 42-41 ATS (+105.6 Units) when playing against a team with a losing record over the last 3 seasons.
BOSTON is 185-147 ATS (+336.7 Units) in a road game where where the total is 5.5 since 1996.

BOSTON is 4-0 (+4.0 Units) against the spread versus ARIZONA over the last 3 seasons
BOSTON is 4-0-0 straight up against ARIZONA over the last 3 seasons
2 of 4 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+0.1 Units)

OTTAWA (2-0-0-2, 6 pts.) at EDMONTON (1-2-0-0, 2 pts.)

OTTAWA is 3-1 (+2.2 Units) against the spread versus EDMONTON over the last 3 seasons
OTTAWA is 3-1-0 straight up against EDMONTON over the last 3 seasons
2 of 4 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+0.2 Units)

CALGARY (3-2-0-0, 6 pts.) at VANCOUVER (1-1-0-1, 3 pts.)

CALGARY is 6-4 (+1.5 Units) against the spread versus VANCOUVER over the last 3 seasons
CALGARY is 6-4-0 straight up against VANCOUVER over the last 3 seasons
5 of 9 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+0.2 Units)

BUFFALO (0-3-0-1, 1 pts.) at LOS ANGELES (2-0-0-1, 5 pts.)

LOS ANGELES is 7-0 ATS (+7.0 Units) in a home game where where the total is 5.5 over the last 2 seasons.
LOS ANGELES is 41-44 ATS (+103.5 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.

BUFFALO is 2-2 (+0.4 Units) against the spread versus LOS ANGELES over the last 3 seasons
LOS ANGELES is 2-2-0 straight up against BUFFALO over the last 3 seasons
3 of 4 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+2.0 Units)

NY ISLANDERS (1-2-0-1, 3 pts.) at SAN JOSE (1-2-0-0, 2 pts.)

NY ISLANDERS are 4-13 ATS (-9.5 Units) on Saturday games over the last 2 seasons.
SAN JOSE is 9-13 ATS (-8.6 Units) on Saturday games over the last 2 seasons.
SAN JOSE is 398-317 ATS (-20.5 Units) when playing against a team with a losing record since 1996.
SAN JOSE is 92-74 ATS (-65.6 Units) in home games when playing against a team with a losing record in the first half of the season since 1996.

SAN JOSE is 2-2-0 straight up against NY ISLANDERS over the last 3 seasons
2 of 3 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+1.1 Units)

Tokens
NHL Trend Report

CAROLINA vs. WINNIPEG
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Carolina's last 6 games
The total has gone OVER in 7 of Carolina's last 10 games when playing on the road against Winnipeg
Winnipeg is 7-15 SU in its last 22 games when playing at home against Carolina
The total has gone OVER in 9 of Winnipeg's last 10 games

FLORIDA vs. PITTSBURGH
Florida is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games when playing Pittsburgh
Florida is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
Pittsburgh is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing Florida
Pittsburgh is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Florida

NEW JERSEY vs. NY RANGERS
The total has gone OVER in 5 of New Jersey's last 7 games
New Jersey is 6-19 SU in its last 25 games
NY Rangers are 1-6 SU in their last 7 games
NY Rangers are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games when playing at home against New Jersey

ST. LOUIS vs. TAMPA BAY
St. Louis is 15-6 SU in its last 21 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of St. Louis's last 7 games on the road
Tampa Bay is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games when playing St. Louis
Tampa Bay is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home

TORONTO vs. MONTREAL
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Toronto's last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Toronto's last 6 games on the road
Montreal is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Montreal's last 6 games when playing at home against Toronto

WASHINGTON vs. PHILADELPHIA
Washington is 10-3 SU in its last 13 games on the road
Washington is 5-10 SU in its last 15 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
Philadelphia is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games at home
Philadelphia is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing Washington

COLORADO vs. DALLAS
Colorado is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Dallas
Colorado is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games when playing Dallas
Dallas is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Colorado
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Dallas's last 6 games when playing at home against Colorado

COLUMBUS vs. MINNESOTA
Columbus is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Columbus's last 7 games when playing on the road against Minnesota
Minnesota is 2-6 SU in its last 8 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Minnesota's last 5 games

NASHVILLE vs. CHICAGO
Nashville is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
Nashville is 3-9 SU in its last 12 games when playing on the road against Chicago
Chicago is 3-11 SU in its last 14 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Chicago's last 5 games

BOSTON vs. ARIZONA
Boston is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Arizona
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Boston's last 8 games when playing on the road against Arizona
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Arizona's last 8 games when playing at home against Boston
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Arizona's last 5 games when playing Boston

CALGARY vs. VANCOUVER
Calgary is 3-7 SU in its last 10 games
Calgary is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games on the road
Vancouver is 13-4 SU in its last 17 games when playing at home against Calgary
Vancouver is 3-6 SU in its last 9 games when playing Calgary

OTTAWA vs. EDMONTON
Ottawa is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games when playing on the road against Edmonton
Ottawa is 10-5 SU in its last 15 games on the road
Edmonton is 14-4 SU in its last 18 games at home
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Edmonton's last 6 games at home

BUFFALO vs. LOS ANGELES
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Buffalo's last 5 games when playing on the road against Los Angeles
Buffalo is 2-12-1 SU in its last 15 games ,when playing on the road against Los Angeles
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Los Angeles's last 6 games when playing Buffalo
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Los Angeles's last 5 games when playing at home against Buffalo

NY ISLANDERS vs. SAN JOSE
The total has gone UNDER in 13 of the NY Islanders last 19 games
NY Islanders are 2-6 SU in their last 8 games when playing on the road against San Jose
San Jose is 6-2 SU in their last 8 games when playing at home against NY Islanders
San Jose is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games

Tokens
CAROLINA @ WINNIPEG
Carolina is 7-1 ATS in its last 8 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Carolina's last 8 games when playing Winnipeg
Winnipeg is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games at home
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Winnipeg's last 5 games

TORONTO @ MONTREAL
Toronto is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Toronto's last 6 games when playing on the road against Montreal
Montreal is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Toronto
Montreal is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Toronto

NEW JERSEY @ NY RANGERS
New Jersey is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games when playing NY Rangers
New Jersey is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
NY Rangers is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against New Jersey
NY Rangers is 10-4 SU in its last 14 games when playing New Jersey

WASHINGTON @ PHILADELPHIA
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington's last 5 games
Washington is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Philadelphia
Philadelphia is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games at home
Philadelphia is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games

FLORIDA @ PITTSBURGH
Florida is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Florida's last 6 games on the road
Pittsburgh is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Florida
Pittsburgh is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games at home

ST. LOUIS @ TAMPA BAY
St. Louis is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games
St. Louis is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games
Tampa Bay is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Tampa Bay's last 5 games at home

COLORADO @ DALLAS
Colorado is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
Colorado is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Dallas is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing Colorado
Dallas is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Colorado

COLUMBUS @ MINNESOTA
Columbus is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games
Columbus is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Minnesota
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Minnesota's last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Minnesota's last 13 games when playing Columbus

NASHVILLE @ CHICAGO
Nashville is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Chicago
Nashville is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Chicago
Chicago is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Chicago's last 5 games

BOSTON @ ARIZONA
Boston is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Arizona
Boston is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Arizona
The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Arizona's last 13 games when playing at home against Boston
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Arizona's last 6 games

CALGARY @ VANCOUVER
Calgary is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Calgary is 6-2 ATS in its last 8 games when playing Vancouver
Vancouver is 13-4 SU in its last 17 games when playing at home against Calgary
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Vancouver's last 10 games when playing at home against Calgary

OTTAWA @ EDMONTON
Ottawa is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games when playing on the road against Edmonton
Ottawa is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Edmonton's last 6 games at home
Edmonton is 13-4 SU in its last 17 games at home

BUFFALO @ LOS ANGELES
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Buffalo's last 6 games when playing Los Angeles
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Buffalo's last 5 games when playing on the road against Los Angeles
Los Angeles is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games
Los Angeles is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing at home against Buffalo

NY ISLANDERS @ SAN JOSE
NY Islanders is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
NY Islanders is 8-3 ATS in its last 11 games
San Jose is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games when playing at home against NY Islanders
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of San Jose's last 9 games at home

Tokens
StatFox Super Situations

COLORADO at DALLAS
Play Against - Road underdogs of +100 to +200 against the money line (COLORADO) off 2 or more consecutive home wins against opponent off a road loss by 2 goals or more 32-4 over the last 5 seasons. ( 88.9% | 26.6 units )

COLORADO at DALLAS
Play Against - Road underdogs of +100 to +200 against the money line (COLORADO) off 2 or more consecutive home wins against opponent off a road blowout loss by 3 goals or more 32-4 over the last 5 seasons. ( 88.9% | 26.6 units )

BOSTON at ARIZONA
Play Against - Road Favorites of -200 or less against the money line (BOSTON) after having lost 2 of their last 3 games, a bad team (30% to 40%) playing against a terrible team (<=30%) in the first half of the season 31-9 since 1997. ( 77.5% | 26.1 units )

Tokens
NHL Picks and Betting Tips

FLORIDA PANTHERS @ PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Projected Goaltenders
Florida – James Reimer/Roberto Luongo (unknown)
Pittsburgh – Matt Murray (probable)

Injury Report
Florida – no significant injuries
Pittsburgh – Cole (out)

Florida has scored a club record 13 goals through their first three games and averaged over 40 shots as they knocked off the previously undefeated Blues on Thursday night. Dadonov was moved off the top line as they have struggled to get going, scoring only two goals. Vrbata took his spot beside Huberdeau and Barkov but Boughner said the plan is to go back to the original lines for tonight’s game. It’s unknown whether Luongo will get another start or the rotation will continue with Reimer tonight.

Antti Niemi had another terrible outing Thursday night in Tampa and now spots a 7.63 goals-against-average and .809 save percentage in his two starts. No one should be surprised by this as Niemi is arguably the worst goaltending in the NHL. The Penguins are expected to go back to Murray tonight.

Pittsburgh’s leading point scorer through their first five games is… Bryan Rust? The Penguins haven’t lacked offense as they’ve averaged over 3 goals per game so far, but seeing Rust as the leader with seven points is surprising. The Pens big stars are getting their points too but if Rust continues to play on the top line with Crosby and Guentzel, he could have a huge breakout season.

I think this line opened where it should but Florida has taken some overnight money and that’s not surprising. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this drop a bit more which might end up creating more value on the Penguins for us. I’ll need to see who gets the start in goal for Florida before locking this one in. Check my Twitter later for an update. The Over 5.5 (-118) here is probably as good as it gets for a totals play.

CAROLINA HURRICANES @ WINNIPEG JETS

Projected Goaltenders
Carolina – Scott Darling/Cam Ward (unknown)
Winnipeg – Steve Mason/Connor Hellebuyck (unknown)

Injury Report
Carolina – Stempniak (out), van Riemsdyk (out)
Winnipeg – Byfuglien (questionable)

Trevor van Riemsdyk will not join Carolina to begin their road trip as he deals with a concussion. Coach Peters said he wants to give Cam Ward a start in net on this road trip but didn’t name a starter for tonight. It would be an odd spot for Ward to start here with the team coming off a four day layoff so I’m expecting Darling.

The Jets are coming off a couple of nice wins after dropping their opening two games thanks to the goaltending of Connor Hellebuyck. He’s created a frenzy amongst the Winnipeg media who are stirring up the good old goalie controversy after Steve Mason looked poor in his first two games. I’m not sure if Maurice will continue with the hot hand of Hellebuyck or go back to Mason.

Depth continues to be the biggest weakness for this team and why I’m not high on them. All the scoring has come from the top-six so far as the third and fourth lines still don’t have an even-strength goal this year.

Dustin Byfuglien has missed the last two games due to some soft tissue damage and is questionable for tonight. The Jets didn’t have any media availability on Friday so we’ll have to wait until their morning skate.

My line above is with Darling/Mason starting and Byfuglien in the lineup. There would be value on Carolina at current number but we’re going to have to wait until the morning skate. If Ward starts this would be no play, regardless of Byfuglien’s status.

WASHINGTON CAPITALS @ PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Projected Goaltenders
Washington – Philipp Grubauer (confirmed)
Philadelphia – Brian Elliott/Michal Neuvirth (unknown)

Injury Report
Washington – Niskanen (questionable)
Philadelphia – Giroux (probable)

The big news here is defenseman Matt Niskanen’s availability for tonight. He left last night’s game after being slashed in the hand midway through and did not return. He was seen with a wrap around his hand after the game and he’s to be re-evaluated this morning.

His loss would be huge as the Caps don’t have enough cap room to recall another defenseman for tonight unless they put Niskanen directly on long-term injured reserve (which would mean he’d miss ten games) so that means either Taylor Chorney or Aaron Ness would draw back into the lineup. The Caps just seemed to solve some of their bottom pair defensive woes with the insertion of Christian Djoos into the lineup two games ago and now might be looking at an even worse situation.

This is also a bad spot for the Capitals on not only a back-to-back but it’s their fourth in six and sixth in ten nights to open the season.

The Flyers will play their home opener tonight after a successful 2-2 road trip to begin the season. Philly showed good depth and a lot of unexpected speed in their first few games. This was the hardest team for me to preview this year and I’m still not sure how good or bad they can be, so we’ll just take them game-by-game for now until we get a good enough sample of this year’s games to make a better assumption.

Brian Elliott occupied the starter’s crease in Friday’s practice but it was Neuvirth who exited the ice first which would seem to indicate he’ll be the starter tonight. Elliott stayed on later for some extra work. We’ll have to wait for confirmation but I made my line above with Neuvirth starting. Claude Giroux missed practice on Thursday for a personal matter but returned on Friday and is good to go for tonight.

With no line available yet we’ll have to wait for this one. I’m expecting to have value on Philadelphia and this will almost certainly be a play on the Flyers tonight, especially if Niskanen is out. I’ll update on Twitter, accordingly.

ST. LOUIS BLUES @ TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

Projected Goaltenders
St. Louis – Jake Allen (likely)
Tampa Bay – Peter Budaj (likely)

Injury Report
St. Louis – Fabbri (out), Berglund (out), Steen (out), Bouwmeester (out)
Tampa Bay – no significant injuries

Our sleeper pick for this year’s Hart Trophy is off to a great start as Nikita Kucherov has scored a goal in all four games for Tampa Bay and has seven points. The Lightning have won all three of their home games and now catch a Blues team at the end of a four-game road trip and their fourth game in six nights.

St. Louis laid an egg in Florida on Thursday night (as predicted) as a lot of their troubles continued. Jake Allen was pretty good once again but he wasn’t able to bail them out this time. The bottom six continue to have scoring issues so Yeo sent down rookie Tage Thompson on Friday and called up another rookie, Sam Blais who could start on the second line with Schenn and Schwartz.

Not a lot to say about the Lightning as they just continue to look sharper each game. One surprise here is I’ve heard Peter Budaj is likely to get his first start tonight. This line opened at -160 and has fallen hard to -133 early this morning. I don’t understand this steep move and I completely disagree with it. We’re locking in Tampa as an official play.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS @ MONTREAL CANADIENS

Projected Goaltenders
Toronto – Frederik Andersen (probable)
Montreal – Carey Price (probable)

Injury Report
Toronto – no significant injuries
Montreal – Schlemko (doubtful), Galchenyuk (questionable)

Mike Babcock was worried about a “trap game” against New Jersey on Wednesday night and that’s exactly what happened as the Leafs lacked their usual high energy and lost too many one-on-one battles. Babcock said they weren’t ready but vowed that wouldn’t be the case tonight.

Toronto has lost 14 straight games to Montreal dating back to 2014 but it certainly feels like this year might be different with the Leafs rolling on offense and the Canadiens struggling in all areas.

Defenseman Connor Carrick will return to the lineup for Toronto after missing two games with an injury. He’s slot in for rookie Calle Rosen who had a tough game on Wednesday.

The Canadiens have dropped three straight and continue to make a mess of Alex Galchenyuk. I wish they would just trade this kid so he could go somewhere he’s appreciated and thrive. He was demoted to the fourth line in practice this week and is now apparently “sick” and questionable for tonight. Julien says they’re not “trying to bury” him but it sure seems that way. Maybe Montreal wouldn’t be struggling to score goals if they knew how to put their lineup together. It must be extremely frustrating to be a Canadiens fan right now. If Montreal loses to Toronto at home tonight you have to think someone’s head is going to roll.

Some good news on the defensive front, David Schlemko is almost ready for a return which should be a big boost. He played a conditioning game in Laval last night and played pretty well. He said afterwards he was huffing and puffing pretty good and could probably use one more game at the AHL level before returning to the Canadiens. Laval plays again today so while Schlemko is eligible to be called up to play tonight, I’d expect he won’t join the team until they head out on their West Coast trip next week.

This line almost made me sick when I looked at it and saw we might have to bet on Montreal. How on earth could anyone think the Canadiens offense can keep up with the Leafs here? The opener at -115 was short and overnight money has made it even shorter down to -103. The Leafs are now a favorite on the road and that just seems a bit of an overreaction to the first few games.

This might be another tough one to hit the submit button on but we have to play the value on Montreal. This line might continue to climb in the Leafs favor today but I have enough value at the current number to lock it in. This would be a good night for Carey Price to do Carey Price things. (UPDATE: Line has just bounced back to -115 before I went to submit this. There’s still some value on the Habs at this number. Play accordingly using the range above)

NEW JERSEY DEVILS @ NEW YORK RANGERS

Projected Goaltenders
New Jersey – Keith Kinkaid (confirmed)
New York – Ondrej Pavelec (confirmed)

Injury Report
New Jersey – Zajac (out), Boyle (out), Stafford (probable)
New York – no significant injuries

Kinkaid and Pavelec will get the starts tonight with both teams having played last night and both losing. The Rangers defense continued to leak shots despite some shuffling of the lines as they allowed 42 shots. Lundqvist was solid stopping 40 of those but I worry how Pavelec is going to fare if they give up that many shots again here. Kinkaid is an underrated backup so I’d say the Devils have the edge in net.

The only injury news here is that Drew Stafford is expected to make his debut with New Jersey which is actually fairly insignificant. I don’t have much else to say about this game and with no line available yet we’ll just wait to see where it opens. With the Devils hot start and the Rangers struggling, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this open below my range and we’ll have some value on the Rags. I’ll update any play on Twitter but with the goaltenders locked in and no injury concerns, you have the range above and can confidently lock it in when you see a line. Keeping in mind that I prefer to have at least 8 cents of value above/below my range, the target price would be -159 or lower to play New York.

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS @ MINNESOTA WILD

Projected Goaltenders
Columbus – Joonas Korpisalo/Sergei Bobrovsky (unknown)
Minnesota – Devan Dubnyk (probable)

Injury Report
Columbus – Jenner (out)
Minnesota – Granlund (out), Parise (out), Niederreiter (out), Coyle (out), Foligno (out)

The poor Minnesota Wild. Along with the Flyers tonight, the Wild are the final team in the NHL to drop the puck for their home opener and there doesn’t seem like there’s much to celebrate. Already down Granlund and Parise, they lost three more players in Thursday’s game to serious injury. Charlie Coyle had a right fibula fracture and had to undergo surgery on Friday. He’s been placed on LTiR and will miss six-to-eight weeks. Nino Niederreiter suffered a high ankle sprain and will be out at least three weeks. And Marcus Foligno got punched so hard by the Hawks John Hayden it broke his face. Foligno will be out at least one week with a left facial fracture.

Parise isn’t supposed to return until sometime next week but he talked on Friday as if he might be an emergency replacement if needed. Hopefully this doesn’t happen because the Wild need him to fully recover and bringing him back early just smells of long-term disaster.

I mentioned before how the Wild are in a salary cap nightmare situation and can’t afford to really do anything. On Friday, Boudreau was forced to send defenseman Mike Reilly down to the minors and recalled forward Luke Kunin just so the Wild can have enough forwards to roll three lines. The move of Coyle to LTiR then freed up enough cap space to recall three more players so at least they will have enough bodies to ice a team. Those players are Christoph Bertschy, Landon Ferraro and Zack Mitchell and they’re basically replacement level players. The Wild are basically going to be rolling three lines tonight.

Columbus is coming off another strong effort with last night’s win as Bobrovsky shined again. We’ll want to keep an eye on whether Korpisalo gets the start in net tonight or whether they go back to Bobrovsky.

My line above is with Korpisalo/Dubnyk but if Bobrovsky gets the start again it would make the Jackets a very small favorite.

Regardless of where this line opens, the only play option tonight is on Columbus. Due to the extreme injury situation with Minnesota this is a very rare instance where I would not play any line value on them here. They could still go out and find a way to win but it’s Columbus or nothing tonight.

COLORADO AVALANCHE @ DALLAS STARS

Projected Goaltenders
Colorado – Semyon Varlamov (confirmed)
Dallas – Ben Bishop (probable)

Injury Report
Colorado – Jost (out), MacKinnon (probable)
Dallas – Hamhuis (probable)

Colorado dominated a lifeless Ducks team last night but there was a pretty scary moment late in the opening period when Nathan MacKinnon caught a stick blade up under his visor that messed his eye up pretty good. He was down for a few minutes before leaving the ice and did not return.

After the game it was great news for Avs fans, however, as Bednar said he had some vision problems immediately after but things corrected themselves and he should be good to play tonight.

Tyson Jost missed last night’s game with a bone bruise in his knee and will also be out tonight.

For Dallas, Dan Hamhuis is expected to return tonight after missing the last two games with a groin injury. It’s unclear who he will replace but it’s most likely Jamie Oleksiak. Hitchcock is going to switch up the defensive pairs tonight with Klingberg partnering with Methot and Honka with Lindell. Bishop is expected to start in net.

This line opened a little short but overnight money brought it up to where it should be. Not anticipating a play in this one but feel free to throw the Stars into any of your football parlays today.

NASHVILLE PREDATORS @ CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

Projected Goaltenders
Nashville – Pekka Rinne (likely)
Chicago – Corey Crawford (likely)

Injury Report
Nashville – Ellis (out), Weber (doubtful), Josi (probable)
Chicago – Hossa (out), Schmaltz (probable)

Roman Josi missed Thursday’s game but returned to practice yesterday. It’s expected he will return tonight if he responds well this morning. Yannick Weber missed Friday’s practice after leaving Thursday’s game early due to a high hit and is doubtful for tonight.

The Hawks have looked like a different team without second line center Nick Schmaltz the last three games. While they were fortunate enough to win one of those, the second line of Hartman, Anisimov and Patrick Kane have been all but invisible. Schmaltz is expected to return tonight and that will be a huge boost for Chicago which will have a trickle-down effect on the lineup.

This line opened and is currently at the bottom end of my range. If Josi doesn’t respond well this morning and is out we’ll look to play the Hawks but otherwise this is probably a pass.

BOSTON BRUINS @ ARIZONA COYOTES

Projected Goaltenders
Boston – Anton Khudobin (confirmed)
Arizona – Louis Domingue (likely)

Injury Report
Boston – Backes (out), Bergeron (doubtful), Miller (probable)
Arizona – Chychrun (out), Perlini (out)

The Bruins dropped back-to-back games to Colorado after opening the season with a victory over Nashville. Life without Patrice Bergeron continues as it sounds like he’ll miss a fourth straight game. Defenseman Kevan Miller took a puck to the knee that stung a nerve during Friday’s practice and he had to be helped off the ice. He was able to recover after and should be available tonight. And Anton Khudobin will get his first start in net. He relieved Rask last game and stopped all nine shots he faced.

Arizona’s Antti Raanta left Thursday’s game with a lower body injury and did not practice Friday. Tocchet hasn’t completely ruled him out for tonight yet but it’s most likely that Domingue will start. Marek Langhamer was called up to backup, if needed.

This line opened at -135 which was already accounting for Bergeron out, in my opinion, but has plummeted down to -110 overnight. With Khudobin/Domingue as projected starters this line has moved too far and we have some value in the Bruins once again. I thought Boston would be a fade team for me early this season but this will be the third time in four games I’ll be backing them. Go Bruins.

OTTAWA SENATORS @ EDMONTON OILERS

Projected Goaltenders
Ottawa – Mike Condon (probable)
Edmonton – Cam Talbot (probable)

Injury Report
Ottawa – Karlsson (out), MacArthur (out), Harpur (out), Oduya (probable)
Edmonton – Sekera (out), Draisaitl (out), Caggiula (out)

Mike Condon is expected to start in net for Ottawa tonight after Craig Anderson shut out the Flames Friday night in a 6-0 victory. Boucher has been hesitant to pull Anderson though because he’s been on such a roll early on so we’ll keep an eye on this one for confirmation. Erik Karlsson remains out but Johnny Oduya joined the team Friday morning and is expected to play tonight. This is a tough spot for the Senators as they wrap up a three game road trip through Western Canada.

Big news in Edmonton is Leon Draisaitl won’t play tonight. He’s still doesn’t have full vision after an eye injury on Monday. Rookie Kailer Yamamoto is expected to start on the top line in his place and if you play DFS you’ll want to strongly consider pairing him with McDavid tonight.

The Oilers are facing some early season adversity with a couple of poor efforts where a lot of bad habits have been noticeable. The good news is bad habits can easily be fixed and coach McLellan has put the team through the paces this week with some tough love practices.

The Oilers are also expecting to sit defenseman Matt Benning tonight as he’s been having some trouble so far. Darnell Nurse will jump up on the second pair with Kris Russell while Yohann Auvitu will slot into the lineup beside Gryba on the third pair.

I really like the Oilers in this one tonight so hopefully there will be an overreaction to Draisaitl being out and we’ll get some line value when this one opens.

CALGARY FLAMES @ VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Projected Goaltenders
Calgary – Eddie Lack (probable)
Vancouver – Anders Nilsson (likely)

Injury Report
Calgary – no significant injuries
Vancouver – Edler (questionable)

Calgary is in a really tough spot here tonight. After a huge emotional win Tuesday in Anaheim then another draining effort in a win against Los Angeles Wednesday, the Flames returned home last night and looked dog-tired in a lopsided 6-0 loss which saw Mike Smith get the hook. Now they turn right around and fly out to Vancouver for the back-to-back and fourth game in six nights.

To make matters worse, Eddie Lack is expected to get the start and since being traded by Vancouver in 2015, he’s been lit up in two return visits to the Rogers Arena.

Vancouver will wrap up a four game homestand tonight and it’s expected Anders Nilsson will get his first start, although with Vancouver having no media availability yesterday we’ll have to wait for confirmation. Alex Edler is also questionable tonight after suffering a lower body injury which forced him to leave Thursday’s game.

My line above is with Lack/Nilsson and Edler not playing tonight. I really like the Canucks here tonight so hopefully we’ll get some line value.

BUFFALO SABRES @ LOS ANGELES KINGS

Projected Goaltenders
Buffalo – Robin Lehner/Chad Johnson (unknown)
Los Angeles – Jonathan Quick/Darcy Kuemper (unknown)

Injury Report
Buffalo – Bogosian (out), Okposo (probable)
Los Angeles – Gaborik (out), Martinez (questionable)

The Sabres changed up all their lines Thursday night but still walked away without a win for the fourth consecutive game to begin their season. I mentioned the other day how I wasn’t a fan of their new lines and it certainly didn’t work in San Jose as the Sharks really controlled that game throughout despite only being a one goal game.

Buffalo has scored just nine goals in four games and now they enter Staples Center where they’ve been shut out four straight trips. This is the front-end of a back-to-back so it’s unclear whether Robin Lehner or Chad Johnson will get the start tonight.

The big news for LA is the possible return for defenseman Alec Martinez. He was a full participant in Friday’s practice for the third consecutive day and went through the regular powerplay drills on the top unit. The Kings were previously using four forwards and Drew Doughty on their top powerplay unit but will now shift to three forwards with Doughty and Martinez on the points. Martinez may be removed from IR sometime today and play tonight so that’s something I’ll be keeping an eye out for.

The Kings also begin a back-to-back tonight so we’ll have to see if it’s Quick or Darcy Kuemper in net but either way we should have enough value here to play on Los Angeles. My line is with Lehner/Quick and Martinez in the lineup. If any of that changes, I’ll update the new line on Twitter. I’m going to wait for an announcement of the goalies before locking this one in as we might get a better price later.

NEW YORK ISLANDERS @ SAN JOSE SHARKS

Projected Goaltenders
New York – Thomas Greiss (confirmed)
San Jose – Martin Jones/Aaron Dell (unknown)

Injury Report
New York – Eberle (questionable)
San Jose – Martin (questionable)

Jordan Eberle is questionable tonight after taking a hit in Thursday’s practice after missing Friday’s. We’ll see how he feels this morning. Thomas has been confirmed as the starter with the Isles beginning a California back-to-back tonight.

The Sharks got their first win last game and their line changes paid instant dividends. After moving Hertl up to the second line wing the new third line of Meier, Donskoi and Tierney combined for two goals and six points, including the game winner. Defenseman Paul Martin is still day-to-day and it’s unknown who will start in goal tonight. I’ve been itching for Aaron Dell’s debut so fingers crossed.

Regardless of starter, this line has opened too short and we’ll jump on the Sharks tonight.

Tokens
NHL Projected Starting Goalies

Carolina v Winnipeg
Scott Darling: 1-0-1 ; 2.80 GAA ; 0.889 save percentage (confirmed)
Connor Hellebuyck: 2-0-0 ; 2.59 GAA; 0.927 save percentage

Toronto v Montreal
Frederik Anderson: 3-1 ; 3.96 GAA ; 0.871 save percentage
Carey Price: 1-3 ; 3.3 GAA ; 0.899 save percentage

St. Louis v Tampa Bay
Jake Allen: 3-1 ; 3.17 GAA ; 0.915 save percentage (confirmed)
Andrei Vasilevsky: 3-1 ; 3.74 GAA ; 0.900 save percentage (confirmed)

New Jersey v New York Rangers
Keith Kinklaid: 0-0 (confirmed)
Ondrej Pavelec: 0-1-0 ; 4.67 GAA ; 0.875 save percentage (confirmed)

Washington v Philadelphia
Philipp Grubauer: 0-0-1 ; 3.8 GAA ; 0.900 save percentage (confirmed)
Brian Elliot: 2-1-0 ; 3.67 GAA ; 0.876 save percentage (confirmed)

Florida v Pittsburgh
Roberto Luongo: 1-1 ; 3.06 GAA ; 0.905 save percentage
Matt Murray: 2-0-1 ; 3.36 GAA ; 0.885 save percentage (confirmed)

Columbus v Minnesota
Sergei Bobrovsky : 3-0-0 ; 0.65 GAA ; 0.981 save percentage (confirmed)
Devan Dubnyk: 1-1-0 ; 3.04 GAA ; 0.913 save percentage (confirmed)

Colorado v Dallas
Semyon Varlamov: 3-0-0 ; 1.67 GAA ; 0.945 save percentage (confirmed)
Ben Bishop: 1-1-0 ; 1.85 GAA ; 0.932 save percentage (confirmed)

Nashville v Chicago
Pekka Rinne: 2-1-0 ; 3.08 GAA ; 0.902 save percentage
Corey Crawford: 3-1-0 ; 1.50 GAA ; 0.956 save percentage (confirmed)

Bostn v Arizona
Anton Khudobin: 0-0 (confirmed)
Louis Domingue: 0-2 ; 3.97 GAA ; 0.885 save percentage

Calgary v Vancouver:
Eddie Lack: 0-0-0 ; 4.99 GAA ; 0.833 save percentage
Jacob Markstrom: 1-1-1 ; 2.30 GAA ; 0.927 save percentage

Ottawa v Edmonton:
Mike Condon: 0-0
Cam talbot: 1-2-0 ; 3.42 ; 0.896 save percentage (confirmed)

Buffalo v Los Angeles Kings:
Robin Lehner: 0-2-1 ; 3.17 GAA ; 0.901 save percentage
Jonathan Quick: 2-0-1 ; 1.66 GAA ; 0.948 save percentage

New York Islanders v San Jose
Thomas Greiss: 0-1-1 ; 4.36 GAA ; 0.885 save percentage (confirmed)
Martin Jones: 1-2-0 ; 392 GAA ; 0.811 save percentage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
earthstona
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com