MLB Fantasy News 2012

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Rocky Roy Halladay

Phillies starter Roy Halladay allowed seven hits and five earned runs across 2 2/3 innings Wednesday afternoon in a troubling Grapefruit League performance against the Twins.

Halladay was also shaky in his previous Grapefruit League start, surrendering three runs on four hits in a disappointing three-inning outing against the Tigers.

So what’s the deal with Roy? And are these numbers worth worrying about?

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports offered a range of suggestions in a column on Wednesday night. He spoke to a scout Wednesday who had Halladay topping out at just 89 mph with his fastball this spring, but also learned that the 34-year-old right-hander has been working on a few different arm slots.

In other words, it’s far too early to tell. If Halladay can’t get it together in his final two or three spring starts, there will be legitimate cause for concern heading into the regular season. But for now he remains situated right where he belongs among the top tier of fantasy starters in our award-winning Online Draft Guide.

Hudson Progressing, Cleared For Mound Work

Braves right-hander Tim Hudson threw a full bullpen session on Wednesday for the first time since undergoing lumbar spine-fusion surgery in late November. And it went about as well as such a thing can go.

“I’ve increased my workload pretty substantially over the last couple of weeks and it has responded well,” the veteran starter told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It’s responded as if I was doing light stuff. The X-ray looked good and my range of motion was good. Two thumbs up, man.”

Hudson, 36, is aiming to make his 2012 regular season debut by the beginning of May. He posted a 3.22 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 158/56 K/BB ratio in 215 innings last year for the Braves and should make a nice sleeper in fantasy drafts for owners who are willing to practice patience in the early going.

Royals’ Perez Set To Undergo Knee Surgery

The Royals announced on Wednesday afternoon that young catcher Salvador Perez has been diagnosed with a lateral meniscus tear in his left knee and will undergo surgery within the next few days to repair it.

Perez suffered the injury during Tuesday’s Cactus League game against the Reds and could miss up to eight weeks depending on the type of surgery he has and how successful it is.

The 21-year-old catcher signed a five-year contract extension with the Royals at the beginning of spring training and was poised to make a positive impact in his first full major league season. But those expectations now have to be delayed.

Perez batted .331/.361/.473 with three home runs and 21 RBI in his first 158 major league plate appearances last year. Brayan Pena is likely to handle catching duties for Kansas City throughout the month of April and for part of early May.

Lynn Shines In First Grapefruit League Start

Cardinals veteran Chris Carpenter was diagnosed late last week with a bulging cervical disc in his neck. He played catch on Wednesday for the first time since March 3 and should continue to make daily progress from the minor injury. But the Cardinals’ projected Opening Night starter has yet to make an appearance in a Grapefruit League game and seems likely to run out of time before that April 4 meeting with the Marlins.

If Carpenter is indeed ruled out for the first week or two of the regular season -- or perhaps even longer -- 24-year-old right-hander Lance Lynn will step in.

Lynn enjoyed an impressive rookie campaign in 2011, registering a shiny 3.12 ERA and 40/11 K/BB ratio across the first 34 2/3 innings of his major league career before throwing 11 quality innings in the postseason. He also put on a show Wednesday in his first start in the Grapefruit League, yielding only two hits in three frames against the Astros while striking out three and walking none.

Lynn may be a worthwhile fantasy streamer during the first couple weeks of the 2012 season.

Dunn Making Noise In White Sox Camp

The White Sox scratched Adam Dunn from Tuesday’s Cactus League game with the Padres due to neck stiffness. But the discomfort was never a major concern.

Dunn returned to action on Wednesday afternoon against the Angels, drawing two walks and ripping a two-run homer in four plate appearances. The left-handed slugger, who struggled to the tune of a .159/.292/.277 batting line in 2011, is currently hitting .308/.526/.846 with two big flies and six RBI in seven Cactus League games.

It’s foolish to put too much stock into spring training numbers, but Dunn recommitted himself to an offseason conditioning program this winter and it’s clearly already paying off.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
My 'Do Not Draft' list: Pineda, Holliday ...
in.gif

Eric Karabell

Michael Pineda helped carry many owners to fantasy titles last season, including yours truly, but the minute he was traded from the Seattle Mariners to the New York Yankees, I was off the proverbial bandwagon. Everything changed with that deal. The move to a hitter-friendly ballpark, especially for lefty hitters, is the obvious one, but Pineda also slowed down as the season wore on in 2011, and let's face it, not everyone thrives in New York. I could have written this months ago, but now after seeing that Pineda's velocity is way down so far this spring, it has become even clearer to me that I won't be targeting Pineda this season.

My intentions in most fantasy baseball drafts are pretty clear. I write about them, discuss them, tweet them … you name it. But the main one -- other than having fun -- is to look for value. I'll draft a player earlier than normal if I really want certain statistics, but most of the time if I don't like the player's value, I'll simply ignore him. Pineda doesn't make my top 25 starting pitchers. He's obviously talented, and maybe there's a dominant full season in his future at some point, but he's too risky for my taste, and when I get around to selecting starting pitchers, Pineda will be gone.Pineda's name is the first one that comes to mind if you ask me who I'm avoiding in 2012 drafts. We call this annual blog entry my "Do Not Draft" list, though I will admit that if everyone in a certain draft believes a player is overrated and he slips far enough, I'm interested. It's all about the value, even with Pineda. I do have him ranked, after all, just not nearly as high as everyone else. Here are some other players I won't be targeting:

Michael Bourn, OF, Atlanta Braves: I really don't understand our No. 35 rank on him. What's really changed from a year ago, when he was pick No. 97 in ESPN average live drafts? Does being on a better team really matter? This is still a one-category guy. Granted, he's really, really good at it, likely the best in the league at stealing bases, but he has never scored 100 runs and doesn't have a lick of power, and he remains a career .271 hitter. There are plenty of stolen bases available late. I want power, power and more power when others would be ready to pick Bourn in the fourth round of a mixed-league draft.
Matt Holliday, OF, St. Louis Cardinals: He's being drafted as the 31st overall pick, as if he's a safe 30-homer, 100-RBI guy who steals bases. Now 32, I don't see more power, better health or more steals coming from him. He's a good fantasy option, a solid second outfielder, and I won't blame the loss of Albert Pujols as a factor in my opinion to leave him for anyone else, because I don't believe that. I just find myself ignoring Holliday every time I have a third-round pick, choosing instead to take, say, a middle infielder with pop, speed and more upside. Outfield is deep. Pass on Holliday that early and give me Shin-Soo Choo five rounds later.
Mike Napoli, C, Texas Rangers: I'm avoiding the catcher position early in ESPN standard (10-team) leagues to begin with, so I suppose Napoli bears the brunt of that for the purpose of this blog entry. I don't dislike Napoli, I just wouldn't choose him in the fifth round. I've been waiting until the very end to grab a catcher; in one mock draft, Alex Avila fell. A year ago, Joe Mauer was on my "Do Not Draft" list; in retrospect avoiding him was wise, and now he's a bargain. Catchers are just riskier than other hitters in terms of health and performance, they make for bad keepers, and there are just too many safe hitters out there in Round 5, when you'd have to take Napoli.
Craig Kimbrel, RP, Atlanta Braves: This is the same premise as Napoli, and to some degree Bourn. I'm waiting on my closers, and I need a more balanced pick this early. I'm not sure I've ever drafted Mariano Rivera, for example. I admire his work, of course, but to me, closers -- even the top ones -- are better left for the middle rounds. It's still all about the saves. If I knew for sure Kimbrel would save 46 games and fan 127 hitters, I'd take him where he's going, but over the past five seasons, the likes of Jonathan Broxton, Brad Lidge and Brian Wilson were judged as eminently safe in March as well. Give me Brandon League and his 35 saves in Round 19.Roy Halladay, SP, Philadelphia Phillies: I won't draft a starting pitcher in the first two rounds, even the best one. Sorry, Roy.

Aramis Ramirez, 3B, Milwaukee Brewers: Now 33, Ramirez's otherwise stellar statistics the past few seasons for the Chicago Cubs featured extreme home/road splits, and he no longer calls Wrigley Field home. Also, he has averaged a mere 118 games played over the past three seasons. I generally don't believe in contract year wonderment, but Ramirez recently signed a three-year deal, and I think the Brewers will regret it. I think those selecting Ramirez in the seventh round of standard drafts will regret grabbing him, too. I've ranked Ramirez a few rounds later at what I feel is a deep third-base spot.
Rickie Weeks, 2B, Brewers: I'm not really ganging up on one team. I like Ryan Braun, obviously, since I rank him No. 1. Zack Greinke is pretty good, too. I keep drafting Mat Gamel. But Weeks has played in 130 games once in his career. He doesn't steal bases anymore. Even at a scarce position, he's not in my top 100.
Mark Reynolds, 1B/3B, Baltimore Orioles: A few years ago, I didn't avoid batting average killers the way I do today, but we used to be able to count on certain players to always hit for average to balance things out. You know, if you draft Reynolds, Adam Dunn or Carlos Pena, make sure you get Joe Mauer or Ichiro Suzuki. That doesn't work so well anymore when those guys get old or hit only .272. Still, Reynolds hit .221 last season and .198 the year before. In 2009, he was a terrific fantasy option, hitting 44 home runs and stealing 24 bases, but his .260 batting average didn't hurt as much. Hitting .221 does, and he doesn't run anymore. With Reynolds, even if he slips five rounds from his current 15th-round spot, I'm avoiding him. I'd call teammate Chris Davis undraftable as well.Carl Crawford, OF, Boston Red Sox: Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? I'm not giving up on Crawford's career getting back to his ol' Tampa Bay level, but he still has a wrist problem, and he still needs his wrist to be a relevant player. Last time I ranked players, Crawford was at No. 100 -- he's 69th in ESPN leagues -- and nothing good has happened for him in the past few weeks. I won't call it another truly lost season, but I'll let him be someone else's problem in 2012.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Spring training 'watch' list

By Tristan H. Cockcroft | ESPN.com

Spring training matters.

Yet, at the same time, spring training matters not.

It's all a matter of perspective, and the most incisive way to express such polar ideas is that exhibition statistics as a whole are meaningless, but select news and numbers can affect your draft preparation. And this generally pertains to players who entered spring camps faced with a specific question, or whose value was in flux.

Simply put, certain players bear more careful watching in the month of March, and these names annually go on what I like to call my annual spring "watch list."

This does not mean players I like to watch or players who are fun to watch. This is who is most important to watch. Watch Albert Pujols crush as many home runs as you wish this spring; barring unexpected injury, nothing he does this entire month is going to change my No. 3 overall ranking of him. He therefore is not on this list, nor is anyone else whose value is as predictable as Pujols'.

Here's the "watch list" I've been tracking to this point of spring training, the players listed in no particular order:

Jason Heyward, OF, Atlanta Braves

i

Heyward

Shoulder problems effectively ruined his sophomore season in 2011, spawning .234/.321/.379 triple-slash rates after his return from the disabled list in June, and contributing to what was a ninth-in-the-majors (1,000-plus plate appearances) 54.6 percent ground ball rate during his first two big-league campaigns. Health, therefore, plus progress with his swing following winter work with hitting coach Greg Walker, was imperative from Heyward this preseason.

Progress so far: Heyward's stats don't stand out, and in fact seem somewhat damning, but from what I've seen of him -- most recently this past Wednesday's game, in which he homered against Stephen Strasburg -- his plate approach at least seems improved upon 2011. He'll probably be an all-or-nothing player in 2012 -- back to the future MVP talent predicted at the time of his 2010 debut, or a carbon copy of 2011 -- and I want to believe he'll be the former. I'm drafting him that way, albeit cautiously, wanting to first see more.

Adam Wainwright, SP, St. Louis Cardinals

i

Wainwright

They say Tommy John surgery sometimes makes a pitcher better, yes, but occasionally you get a Francisco Liriano or Edinson Volquez, pitchers who took longer to -- and in either care arguably still haven't -- recapture their pre-surgery form. Wainwright is on my "busts" list for the same reason he's on the watch list; I need to see that both his command and his breaking pitches are where they were in 2010, because he's a pitcher built around, well, command and his breaking pitches. I'll state that eventually I expect Wainwright to regain his touch in both departments. But how are we to assume that's going to happen by April, rather than, say, by June, or August, or (gasp) 2013?

Progress so far: I've watched two Wainwright games so far and his fastball looks identical to the one he threw in 2010. As for his breaking pitches? I counted fewer than five curveballs during this past Tuesday's start versus the New York Mets, and he struggled with his command on everything offspeed. In other words, all of the questions I had about Wainwright when camps opened remain, and while we might get answers in the upcoming weeks, I'm sticking by my ranking of the right-hander: That's 40th among starting pitchers, 13 beneath our consensus ranking.

Tommy Hanson, SP, Atlanta Braves

i

Hanson

Shoulder tendinitis ended Hanson's 2011 prematurely, he had a 5.59 ERA in eight between-DL-stint starts during which time his fastball averaged 90.8 mph, down from 92.2 before his first stint, and then he suffered a concussion early in camp that delayed his debut by a few days. In short, Hanson hasn't had the best luck in the health department lately, and word that he's experimenting with a new delivery to ease the strain on his shoulder is ominous.

Progress so far: I haven't seen him yet, but he has also pitched just once, a rain-shortened postponement this past Sunday. Without any evidence that the Hanson of old is back, he's as high-risk as they come.

Jesus Montero, DH, Seattle Mariners

i

Montero

The question isn't necessarily his bat, it's his glove, and it's important to track both how the Mariners are using him behind the plate as well as his performance while catching. Here's why it's a big deal: Montero, our No. 188 player overall (my No. 135), has a projected stat line in range of No. 4 catcher Matt Wieters, and certainly better than that of No. 5 Alex Avila. We're talking about a potential top-100 player overall, should he earn catcher eligibility quickly (he needs 10 games).

Progress so far: The Mariners are splitting Montero's time between catcher and DH, and his catching work hasn't been overwhelming, at least not in the games I've seen. It's an experiment worth pursuing further for the team, but we're not at the point yet where 10 catching games is an absolute guarantee.

Zach Britton, SP, Baltimore Orioles

i

Britton

It's remarkable how quickly we can forget a pitcher's 3.18 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 69.2 percent quality start rate before the All-Star break, should he struggle to the extent that Britton did thereafter. Britton couldn't keep his sinker down -- he threw 71 percent in the bottom third during the first half, 51 percent during the second half -- and he needs to show that he has regained his feel, and that his issues were more a result of the Orioles capping his innings than anything.

Progress so far: None, unfortunately. Britton came down with shoulder inflammation early in spring training and hasn't appeared in a game yet. He was scheduled for a minor league game on Thursday, and perhaps his spring debut on Monday. But even the slightest setback would eliminate him from the AL-only radar.

Brian Matusz, SP, Baltimore Orioles

i

Matusz

Another Oriole? Really? Here's another case of "how quick we forget," in Matusz's case that he was advertised the future staff ace just one short year ago. Forgetting is somewhat understandable in his case; he set an all-time, single-season record for worst ERA (10.69) among pitchers with at least 10 starts. Diminished velocity pointed to him potentially having pitched while injured, but even if he wasn't, he has worlds to prove in camp before restoring his fantasy stock.

Progress so far: Some, and surprisingly. Matusz has had back-to-back solid outings, most recently a four-shutout-inning Thursday versus the Detroit Tigers' "A" lineup, during which he struck out six hitters, walked none and ranged 92-93 mph with his fastball. Two encouraging outings doesn't completely cure what was a season of ills, but it's restoring Matusz's stock as an AL-only bargain candidate. My opinion is slowly rising.

Justin Morneau, 1B, Minnesota Twins

i

Morneau

Concussions have derailed what was once a promising career for the former American League MVP, and early during spring training Morneau was even hinting at retirement. Even when he was healthy last season he struggled at the plate, his triple-slash numbers (.227/.285/.333) and his 6.6 percent walk rate representing career worsts. In short, Morneau has plenty to prove this spring, needing to open eyes to have any hope of being draft-worthy at all.

Progress so far: Morneau is one player for whom the statistics speak volumes, as he's 3-for-22 (.136 AVG) with five strikeouts and zero extra-base hits so far during the exhibition season. Those at-bats I've seen of his -- including Wednesday's game versus the Philadelphia Phillies -- have been ugly, generally weak contact, pop-ups and grounders. It's a shame to say he looks done, but without a sign of hope soon, that might be the truth.

Johan Santana, SP, New York Mets

i

Morneau

He missed the entire 2011 season recovering from surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule in his shoulder, and as the two most notable names to have had the operation in the past were Mark Prior and Chien-Ming Wang, neither of whom was ever the same afterward, Santana's performance this spring is critical in determining whether he has anything left to offer. Even before the surgery, Santana's strikeout rate had dropped in each of his first three seasons with the Mets, his 6.51 K's-per-nine ratio and 43.3 percent fly ball rate of 2010 a somewhat distressing combination. He needed a standout spring in a serious way, what with the Mets unlikely to support him substantially in the win column.

Progress so far: I haven't seen either of Santana's two Grapefruit League starts to date, but so far he has allowed only an unearned run in 4 2/3 innings in them. Reports have him throwing 87 mph, not far off his pre-surgery velocity, but he might not be up to a starter's regular workload by Opening Day. It's too early to consider him anything more than a late-rounder or NL-only option.

Other players I'm watching: Yu Darvish, SP, Texas Rangers; Jhoulys Chacin, SP, Colorado Rockies; Neftali Feliz, SP, Texas Rangers; Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Pittsburgh Pirates; Yoenis Cespedes, OF, Oakland Athletics; Phil Hughes, SP, New York Yankees; Julio Teheran, SP, Atlanta Braves; Devin Mesoraco, C, Cincinnati Reds.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
2012 sleepers and busts

By Fantasy Staff | ESPN.com

When it comes to sleepers and busts, it's all about value.
The best sleepers are those lower-ranked players who outperform their draft-day value. Meanwhile, the busts are those players who play significantly below their draft-day value. In many cases, finding the right sleepers and avoiding the appropriate busts at the draft can go a long way toward winning a title.

The baseline for draft-day value in this case is our ESPN Fantasy rankings. We arrive at these rankings via a consensus of our writers and editors, but that doesn't mean we're all in agreement with the final rankings. Thus our experts provided their own sleepers and busts, in relation to those rankings.
We've asked a number of our analysts to provide one sleeper and one bust for each of the following positions: catcher, first base, second base, shortstop, third base, outfield, starting pitcher and relief pitcher. Our analysts then go deeper into one sleeper pick and one bust pick. In most cases, we're discussing draft strategy/rankings for ESPN's standard leagues (10-team mixed league, 22-man active roster, including one starting catcher and one utility player, plus a three-man bench). Thus, the sleepers are mostly players ranked below the top 10-15 at the infield and catching positions, below the top 50 at outfield and starting pitcher and the top 20 among relief pitchers. The busts are mostly at players ranked above the top 10-15 at each position. The analysis is mostly applicable in deeper leagues, though.
Our panel of analysts: Tristan H. Cockcroft, Shawn Cwalinksi, Dave Hunter, Eric Karabell, AJ Mass, James Quintong and Brendan Roberts.

Sleepers

<table><thead><tr><th></th><th> C </th><th> 1B </th><th> 3B </th><th> 2B </th><th> SS </th><th> OF </th><th> SP </th><th> RP </th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td> THC</td><td> Ryan Doumit </td><td> Ike Davis </td><td> Mat Gamel </td><td> Johnny Giavotella </td><td> Zack Cozart </td><td> Logan Morrison </td><td> Chris Sale </td><td> Jim Johnson </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> SC </td><td> Devin Mesoraco </td><td> Adam LaRoche </td><td> Mat Gamel </td><td> Mike Aviles </td><td> Zack Cozart </td><td> Peter Bourjos </td><td> John Danks </td><td> Vinnie Pestano </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> DH </td><td> Salvador Perez </td><td> Brandon Belt </td><td> Kevin Youkilis </td><td> Dustin Ackley </td><td> Ian Desmond </td><td> Colby Rasmus </td><td> Trevor Cahill </td><td> Sergio Romo </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> EK </td><td> Devin Mesoraco </td><td> Lucas Duda </td><td> Mat Gamel </td><td> Daniel Murphy </td><td> Emilio Bonifacio </td><td> Colby Rasmus </td><td> Brandon McCarthy </td><td> Jim Johnson </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> AJM </td><td> Miguel Olivo </td><td> Aubrey Huff </td><td> Mat Gamel </td><td> Aaron Hill </td><td> Cliff Pennington </td><td> Brennan Boesch </td><td> Brandon McCarthy </td><td> Tyler Clippard </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> JQ </td><td> Salvador Perez </td><td> Ike Davis </td><td> David Freese </td><td> Daniel Murphy </td><td> Yunel Escobar </td><td> Yonder Alonso </td><td> Johan Santana </td><td> Addison Reed </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> BR </td><td> Devin Mesoraco </td><td> Ike Davis </td><td> David Freese </td><td> Jemile Weeks </td><td> Marco Scutaro </td><td> Peter Bourjos </td><td> Erik Bedard </td><td> Joe Nathan </td></tr></tbody></table>

Erik Bedard, P, Pittsburgh Pirates: I can see your eyes a-rollin' from here. Sure, missed starts are part of Bedard's repertoire, but so is pitching well: He has a respectable 3.31 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 9.6 K/9 since 2007. A move to the National League (and the NL Central, no less) should serve him well, and he's easily replaceable, especially in mixed leagues, for his occasional missed starts. --Brendan Roberts
Peter Bourjos, OF, Los Angeles Angels: While other teams are chasing Bryce Harper and Mike Trout, I am taking Bourjos -- a few rounds later. No, he is not the next great fantasy player, but he did have 12 homers and 22 steals last year in 502 at-bats. There is still some upside too. Bourjos won't win a batting title, but he will not hurt your average and it is not a stretch to say he could have a 15-HR, 30-steal season this year. --Shawn Cwalinski

Ike Davis, 1B, New York Mets: Project Davis' career stats to 162 games and we're talking a .271/.357/.460 hitter with 23 home runs and 85 RBIs, and that's in spite of his spacious home ballpark. Injuries are the issue; problems with his ankle limited him to 36 games last season, and he was diagnosed at the start of spring training with a lung infection that was likely valley fever. However, if healthy, two things stand out as hints at a possible breakthrough: One, the opportunity to quickly grab a heart-of-the-order position on the paper-thin Mets, and two, that the Mets brought in the Citi Field fences slightly, perhaps improving his power potential. --Tristan H. Cockcroft
Mat Gamel, 3B, Milwaukee Brewers: He'll eventually qualify for first base as he takes over for Prince Fielder in Milwaukee. He's been held back in the past primarily because he had no position to call home, but when the team needed a DH in 2011, they turned to Gamel. So what if his defense is sketchy? His bat is all you should care about, and given a real chance to play every day, he'll finally live up to the hype. --AJ Mass
Colby Rasmus, OF, Toronto Blue Jays: Entering the 2011 season it seemed Rasmus and Curtis Granderson were on a similar path, with near-identical 2010 stats. Rasmus had a poor 2011 campaign, but he's out of St. Louis, the power/speed package remains and many fantasy owners will simply forget how he's 25 and how good he can be. --Eric Karabell
Sergio Romo, P, San Francisco Giants: Romo's incredible career K/BB and K rates, along with his wicked slider, should put him on your radar for saves. Romo likely won't match last season's numbers -- five walks in 48 IP -- but he remains one of the best middle relievers in 2012 to target, especially with concerns over Brian Wilson's health this season. --Dave Hunter
Johan Santana, P, New York Mets: He's obviously a risk because of his recent injury history, but returns from spring training look solid so far. If he actually pitches Opening Day and can put in anywhere close to a full season of work at a level somewhat close to his days as a Cy Young candidate, he'll be a great bargain in the later rounds of a draft. --James Quintong

Busts

<table><thead><tr><th></th><th> C </th><th> 1B </th><th> 3B </th><th> 2B </th><th> SS </th><th> OF </th><th> SP </th><th> RP </th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td> THC </td><td> J.P. Arencibia </td><td> Lance Berkman </td><td> Aramis Ramirez </td><td> Ryan Roberts </td><td> Dee Gordon </td><td> Carl Crawford </td><td> Adam Wainwright </td><td> Carlos Marmol </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> SC </td><td> Joe Mauer </td><td> Lance Berkman </td><td> Brett Lawrie </td><td> Chase Utley </td><td> Hanley Ramirez </td><td> Hunter Pence </td><td> Jered Weaver </td><td> Brian Wilson </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> DH </td><td> Buster Posey </td><td> Paul Konerko </td><td> Pablo Sandoval </td><td> Chase Utley </td><td> J.J. Hardy </td><td> Michael Bourn </td><td> Matt Moore </td><td> Brian Wilson </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> EK </td><td> J.P. Arencibia </td><td> Michael Cuddyer </td><td> Aramis Ramirez </td><td> Ryan Roberts </td><td> J.J. Hardy </td><td> Carl Crawford </td><td> Michael Pineda </td><td> Huston Street </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> AJM </td><td> Matt Wieters </td><td> Eric Hosmer </td><td> David Wright </td><td> Chase Utley </td><td> Hanley Ramirez </td><td> Nelson Cruz </td><td> Matt Moore </td><td> Rafael Betancourt </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> JQ </td><td> Joe Mauer </td><td> Michael Morse </td><td> Brett Lawrie </td><td> Rickie Weeks </td><td> Asdrubal Cabrera </td><td> Josh Hamilton </td><td> Tommy Hanson </td><td> Rafael Betancourt </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> BR </td><td> Joe Mauer </td><td> Prince Fielder </td><td> David Wright </td><td> Rickie Weeks </td><td> Jose Reyes </td><td> Jason Heyward </td><td> Michael Pineda </td><td> Ryan Madson </td></tr></tbody></table>

Prince Fielder, 1B, Detroit Tigers: Like most of my bust picks, this selection is more about value versus draft spot than anything else. I think the Tigers' new big-money acquisition will struggle in his first trip through the AL, just as many former NL stars (including teammate Miguel Cabrera) have. After that, he'll provide typical Prince-like numbers. Unfortunately, to get him, you'd have to pay the equivalent of a full season of Prince-like numbers. --Brendan Roberts

Dee Gordon, SS, Los Angeles Dodgers: Cheap steals from a shortstop are great, but Gordon has two traits particularly bothersome for a speedster, which make him a risk to statistically collapse: He doesn't walk, having drawn them in only 6.5 percent of his plate appearances during his minor league career, 5.8 percent at the Triple-A level alone and 3.0 percent with the Dodgers last year. He's also a slap-happy, entirely-lacking-in-power hitter, his isolated power as a pro a mere .082. Heck, I'll probably hit as many home runs as Gordon, and the Dodgers haven't even contacted me yet about their probable May shortstop opening. --Tristan H. Cockcroft

Tommy Hanson, P, Atlanta Braves: Sure, he's got ace stuff (he had a career-high 9.83 K/9 last year), but his health is becoming much more of a concern that he's probably not worth the high pick it'll take to get him on your roster. I'd rather not build my rotation around Hanson, who also gave up a career-high 17 homers last season in just 130 innings. --James QuintongMatt Moore, P, Tampa Bay Rays: I won't argue Moore's astounding skills and his potential this season, but to draft him before pitchers like Chris Carpenter and Madison Bumgarner in seasonal leagues? No thanks. I just don't expect Moore to live up to the hype enough to pass on solid veteran names. --Dave Hunter
Aramis Ramirez, 3B, Milwaukee Brewers: Ramirez is really going to miss the friendly confines of Wrigley Field, where he has a .925 career OPS. He's being treated as a certain top-10 third baseman, but has averaged only 22 home runs in 118 games the past three seasons, with much of his power and batting average coming in home games. --Eric Karabell
Hanley Ramirez, SS, Miami Marlins: He's only 28, he has to bounce back, right? I want to say yes, but I look at the trends and have doubts. The past three years, Hanley's homers, expected batting average and runs scored have declined. The past two years, his steals, batting average and on-base percentage have declined. I have not even gotten to his declining line drive and fly ball rates yet. Those are not the trends that I look for in a top-15 pick. --Shawn Cwalinski
Chase Utley, 2B, Philadelphia Phillies: Utley has missed over 100 games over the past two seasons, and he has yet to play in a spring training game. The Phillies can claim they're just taking it slow with him, but the red flags are waving fast and furious. His power numbers are declining and he didn't even attempt a stolen base after Aug. 10 until the last game of the season. No thanks. I'll pass. --AJ Mass

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Hope For Matusz?

It's no stretch to say that Brian Matusz was one of the biggest enigmas in the game last year. The 25-year-old southpaw entered spring training as a popular sleeper in fantasy leagues after posting a 2.11 ERA over his final starts of the 2010 season, but he was historically awful in 2011. And that's no hyperbole. His 10.69 ERA over 12 starts topped Roy Halladay (10.64 ERA in 2000) for the worst by a pitcher with at least 10 starts in a season.

We've heard plenty of theories about what went so horribly wrong. There were whispers that Matusz reported to camp out of shape last year. He then had a wart removed from the middle finger of his pitching hand in early-March and missed the first two months of the season with a strained intercostal muscle. Blame it on lack of arm strength if you want, but he just wasn't himself upon his return in June, averaging a very hittable 88.5 mph on his fastball.

Looking for answers, Matusz turned to O's special assistant Brady Anderson this offseason to put together his training regimen. He has only made three starts so far this spring, but the early indications are that his career is back on track.

Matusz struck out six over four scoreless innings Thursday against the Tigers and now has a 2.70 ERA and 13/0 K/BB ratio over his first 10 innings in the Grapefruit League. Even more encouraging, he has consistently been clocked north of 90 mph on his fastball. The assumption was that Matusz would begin the season in the minors, but he's now very much in the mix for a rotation spot.

There are still better bets to be found in standard mixed leagues -- remember, the Orioles aren't very good and Matusz is a fly ball pitcher who calls the American League East home -- but this could be the time to target him as a rebound candidate in deeper mixed, AL-only and keeper formats.

For the latest MLB rankings, projections, prospect analysis and more, get Rotoworld's Baseball Draft Guide.

Baker Dealing With Elbow Issues Again?

Scott Baker was limited to just 24 innings after the All-Star break last year due to a strained flexor muscle, but he said upon arriving to Twins' camp last month that his elbow was a "non-issue." Perhaps not.

Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune wrote Wednesday morning that Baker's inability to get loose during a B-game on Saturday "raised some red flags" about his health. He was clocked in the mid-80s during the outing while giving up six runs over 1 1/3 innings.

The Twins have downplayed concerns for now, with general manager Terry Ryan saying that Baker has dealt with elbow tenderness in previous springs. The 30-year-old right-hander is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Friday, after which we should know more about his status. If all goes well, it's possible he could start again next week.

Baker was dominant last year when healthy, posting a 3.01 ERA and 104/30 K/BB ratio over 110 2/3 innings before the All-Star break, so I still like him as a late-round gamble in mixed leagues if this turns out to be a minor bump in the road. However, let his current situation serve as a reminder that he can't be counted on to pitch 200 innings.

Royals Lock Up Escobar With Extension

The Royals gave Alcides Escobar the Salvador Perez treatment on Thursday. And no, I'm not talking about knee surgery. Yeah, yeah, bad joke.

Anyway, similar to how the Royals locked up Perez with a long-term extension last month, they announced Thursday that they signed Escobar to a four-year, $10.5 million extension. Per Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, the deal can max out at $21.75 million if club options for 2016 and 2017 are exercised. The new deal buys out his final pre-arbitration season and all three of his arbitration seasons while the options could cover his first two years of free agency.

Escobar hasn't been an asset with the bat in the majors, checking in with an underwhelming .252/.294/.339 batting line and a measly .633 OPS over 1,288 plate appearances, but the 25-year-old has quickly earned the reputation as one of the best defensive shortstops in the game.

Of course, the only reason he's relevant from a fantasy perspective is his ability to pile up stolen bases. Escobar didn't get a chance to show off his speed hitting eighth in Milwaukee, but he swiped a career-high 26 bags last year. He's not a threat in enough categories to be relevant in standard mixed leagues, but he's plenty useful in deeper mixed and AL-only formats.

Madson Close to Making Spring Debut

The Reds were extra cautious with their new closer Ryan Madson after he felt pain in his elbow during his first bullpen session of the spring, but he is finally close to making his Cactus League debut.

Madson threw 35 pitches in a bullpen session Thursday, mixing in fastballs and changeups, after which he told Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer that his elbow is "pretty close to 100 percent right now." The 31-year-old right-hander hopes to pitch in games by the end of next week, which he estimates should put him on track to be ready for Opening Day.

We previously heard doubts about whether Madson had a "closer's mentality," but he blew that silly little narrative out of the water last season by posting a 2.37 ERA to go along with a 62/16 K/BB ratio and 32 saves in 34 chances. While he had to settle for a one-year, $8.5 million contract in January after his reported mega-deal with the Phillies fell through, he's at least in a great situation to close games with a an improved Cincinnati squad. I like him as a top-10 closer in mixed leagues.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
30 Questions: Detroit Tigers

Tristan H. Cockcroft | ESPN.com
<!-- end mod-article-title --><!-- begin story body -->
det.gif
Does Detroit's downgraded D doom Doug?
Much has been made the past seven-plus months about what key transactions made by the Detroit Tigers have done to their overall team defense: The August trade for left fielder Delmon Young, the January signing of free-agent first baseman Prince Fielder and the subsequent decision to shift former first baseman Miguel Cabrera to third base.
The reason such criticisms ring true is the potentially adverse impact upon Tigers pitchers; they're going to have an even greater prospect of negative results when they put the ball in play than they did a year ago. And in 2011, they finished 23rd in terms of defensive runs saved (minus-18) and 15th in ultimate zone rating (minus-3.7), two advanced defensive metrics.

That's where we come to the curious case of Doug Fister, one of the most exciting breakout stories of 2011, but also a pitcher whose stock has suffered this spring as a direct result of the Tigers' defensive questions. The No. 16 starting pitcher on our Player Rater a year ago, Fister's average draft position so far this preseason ranks only 42nd at the position (152.8, 150th overall).
But have our fears perhaps gone too far?
The negatives surrounding Fister have been oft cited, but they bear repeating:
• Last season Fister afforded 680 balls in play, 15th most in the majors, and his 77.7 percent of total batters faced that ended with a ball in play ranked 18th highest among ERA qualifiers. Fister is one of the most apt pitchers to put the ball in play, which is no surprise considering his career K/9 rate is just 5.52.
• His BABIP was .274, 19th best among qualified starters, and his home run/fly ball percentage was 4.9, third lowest among qualifiers. As noted in this year's "Understanding BABIP" column, Fister's BABIP probably should have been quite a bit higher, considering his breakdown of balls in play, accounting hard and soft contact. In fact, his peripheral numbers suggest it should be much higher, more like .314. Had his BABIP actually been .314, it would have meant his having allowed 27 additional hits.
• Returning to that 5.52 K/9 ratio, Fister's modest strikeout rate -- he also had a 6.64 career rate in the minors -- puts him at ERA risk, considering the statistic's tendency to regress to the mean over extended periods for pitchers who whiff batters at that rate. Consider this: Among pitchers with 1,000-plus total innings pitched since 2000, only nine have a cumulative ERA beneath four during that period despite a K/9 rate of 7.00 or less: Roy Halladay (3.20), Tim Hudson (3.41), Chris Carpenter (3.59), Greg Maddux (3.70), Tom Glavine (3.77), Mark Buehrle (3.83), Andy Pettitte (3.86), Barry Zito (3.91) and Derek Lowe (3.93).
Accounting for those factors, Fister is highly unlikely to repeat his 2.83 ERA in 2011. Certainly he has no chance at repeating his 1.79 mark during his 11 games (10 starts) following his July 30 trade to the Tigers.
But the extent to which fantasy owners lean on the "regression" crutch is too extreme; there's a burgeoning disrespect for Fister that extends too far.
Here is the most common misconception about Fister: "He's an extreme ground baller." Not so: He had a 47.1 percent ground ball rate last season, 46th out of 94 qualified starters (502-plus batters faced), and a 46.7 percent rate in 2010, 39th of 92 qualifiers. In fact, both of those rates fell within range of the major league averages: 45.6 percent in 2011, and 44.8 percent in 2010.
That's not to say that having Cabrera and Fielder manning the corners won't adversely impact Fister's numbers, because he still generates a healthy share of ground balls. But the truth is that Fister isn't at extreme risk simply because of grounders; that's a more compelling case when talking about fellow Tigers right-hander Rick Porcello, whose 52.1 percent ground ball rate ranked 19th, and whose 79.8 percent of plate appearances that ended with a ball in play ranked 10th.
Simply put, Fister also has a skill set that's better than that of a typical pitch-to-contact right-hander.
• Only four qualified starters had a lower walks-per-nine innings ratio than Fister's 1.54 last season, and his 1.68 walks-per-nine in 2010 ranked fourth best.
• He's one of the most skilled artists with his two-seam fastball, which is the pitch primarily responsible for his healthy rate of ground balls, bringing both deception and the ability to spot it wherever he wants. Fister's 70 percent strike rate with all fastballs last season ranked seventh best. And here's the stunner: He generated a 37 percent chase rate -- percentage of swings at pitches outside the strike zone -- on his fastball, which paced all major leaguers. It is perhaps that fact which most explains the small, yet noticeable, advances he has made with his K rate so far in his career.
• Fister's changeup is also outstanding, and an elite weapon against left-handers that helps assure balanced splits: He limited lefties to .170/.192/.298 rates in 99 plate appearances that ended with one last season.
It's facts like that which support Fister's case to advance his skills in 2012, even as his fortunes on balls in play is likely to regress. Those who owned him last season will be quick to cite his 7.29 K's-per-nine ratio during his time with the Tigers, and the above numbers support the case of a pitcher whose skills are only improving with experience. If Fister can whiff, say, seven per nine instead of six, he'll be in far better shape in his quest for a repeat.
But here's the No. 1 reason Fister's 2012 fantasy performance might not fall substantially short of his 2011: Wins, wins, wins. Fister won but three of his 21 starts for the Seattle Mariners to begin the year, but eight of 10 for the Tigers. Even if his ERA soars to 3.70, as we project, he should be good for at least 15 wins with a potent Tigers lineup supporting him.
In other words, don't expect any miracles with Fister, but consider fantasy owners' fears of the Tigers' defense a buying opportunity. At his current ADP, he might be a smart addition comparative to cost.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="940"><tbody><tr vAlign="top"><td width="843" align="left">Harper the Center of Attention
Nationals manager Davey Johnson hasn’t hid the fact that he wanted The fact that Harper didn’t crack the Opening Day roster as a 19-year-old wasn’t surprising, but that the Nationals have pledged to make him an everyday center fielder might have raised a few eyebrows.

“I think
Even though just 20 of his 108 games last season came at the position, Harper has said himself that he prefers center field to the corner outfield spots. For fantasy purposes, it doesn’t really matter which position he plays. Harper hit a pedestrian .256/.329/.395 in his taste of Double-A last season, but most scouts feel, even at the ripe age of 19, that he’ll have no trouble with minor league pitching at any level.

Currently, the Nats have
Roger Bernadina and Flash-forward a month later, and evidently Sveum has been “wowed,” as the first-year Cubs manager said Sunday that Samardzjia is a "near lock" for the rotation. That leaves Randy Wells, Chris Volstad, Travis Wood and As far as Samardzjia goes, we have our doubts that the move into the rotation will go well. Yes, he had a breakout year out of the bullpen last season, posting a 2.97 ERA while striking out 87 over 88 innings. But, he also walked 50, and control has been an issue for the right-hander since he broke into pro ball. He holds a 5.3 BB/9 ratio over 128 appearances at the major league level and has walked 15 over 24 1/3 innings in his five career starts.

Also, consider the fact that Samardzjia holds 4.30 ERA and 1.43 WHIP in his minor league career, with 86 of his 112 appearances coming as a starter. It’s certainly a leap of faith.

Soria sore

“Oh, yeah, I’m worried,” he admitted. “Since I’ve had my Tommy John surgery (in 2003), I’ve never had anything like that. I don’t feel it’s that bad because before the Tommy John surgery, all of my strength went away. This time, it hasn’t. So I don’t feel like it’s that.”

Even though Soria doesn’t suspect he’ll need a major operation, we’re in the middle of draft season and fantasy owners can’t feel too comfortable in selecting him, especially since he’s already trying to bounce back from a disappointing 2011 campaign.

If you do pull the trigger on Soria, it would be wise to back him up.
Greg Holland and On Sunday, though, general manager John Mozeliak offered a glimmer of hope that a DL stint might not be needed at all, saying the 27-year-old could be ready as soon as Opening Day.

It would be a fairly rapid acceleration of the timetable for Craig, who just took batting practice Thursday for the first time since the operation. The reality is that a DL stint might still be required, but it sounds like Craig at least has a good chance of beating the rough May 1 return date that had been assigned to him.

Craig isn’t slated to be a regular for the Cardinals. However, given the potential injury concerns with the starters entrenched at his best two positions – right field and first base (
Carlos Beltran and Lance Berkman)—he could eventually loom large for the reigning World Series champs. Craig is a career .290/.339/.503 hitter with 15 homers over 343 plate appearances.​

</td></tr><tr><td>
<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="footerLink" height="20" align="center"></td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
30 Questions: Atlanta Braves

By Mike Sheets | Special to ESPN.com

atl.gif
Which Jason Heyward will we get in 2012?

In the "Seinfeld" episode "The Strike," Jerry dates a girl named Gwen who is labeled a "two-face" by George. Depending on the lighting, she's either a complete knockout or borderline repulsive, so Jerry finds himself in a predicament because he doesn't know which version of Gwen he'll get on a given night. Likewise, Jason Heyward has been in the big leagues for two seasons now, and fantasy owners have seen two very different versions of the Atlanta Braves outfielder. One was a blossoming young slugger with superstar potential; the other barely managed to finish the year as a top-400 fantasy player. Unfortunately, we can't blame the "ugly" version of Heyward on a dimly lit clubhouse.

Heading into draft day last season, Heyward was the No. 13 outfielder in ESPN's rankings and ranked No. 41 overall. He was coming off a rookie campaign in which he batted .277 with 18 home runs, 72 RBIs and 11 stolen bases in 142 games, a performance that ranked him as a top-40 outfielder on the ESPN Player Rater and led to a second-place finish behind Buster Posey in the NL Rookie of the Year voting.

While those numbers may seem solid but unspectacular, it's important to keep Heyward's age in perspective. For the majority of his rookie campaign, he was only 20 years old. Most players are still playing at Class A at that age. Ryan Braun, for example, produced numbers during his rookie season -- .324-34-97 in 451 at-bats -- that dwarfed Heyward's, but the Milwaukee Brewers slugger was 24 at the time. That Heyward had that level of success at the big league level at such a young age is really quite remarkable, especially considering he spent virtually no time at Triple-A (just 11 at-bats).

The patience Heyward displayed at the plate during his rookie year was particularly noteworthy, as his .393 OBP ranked eighth in baseball, and his 14.6 percent walk rate tied Jose Bautista for the game's fifth-highest mark. More important, those numbers lined up with what he produced in the minors -- a .390 OBP in 240 minor league games and a 14.4 percent walk rate between Double-A and Triple-A -- which is a good indication that his rookie season was an accurate reflection of his skill level.

Heyward producing right out of the gate wasn't particularly surprising, either. After all, the former first-round pick batted .317/.390/.507 during his minor league career and was regarded by Baseball America as the No. 5 overall prospect in 2009 and the No. 1 overall prospect in 2010, so expectations were already lofty. In his Top 100 prospects list from 2010, our own Keith Law acknowledged that while Heyward's swing isn't perfect, "… he's so strong and has such bat speed that the minor flaw has been irrelevant at every stop of his pro career. Everything else here points to stardom." Needless to say, Heyward's rookie season was thought to be the first step toward just that.

Everything came crumbling down in 2011, however, as Heyward hit .227 with 14 homers and 42 RBIs in 396 at-bats. His .260 batting average on balls in play didn't help matters, but too much went wrong last year to simply blame it all on bad luck. His 14.6 percent walk rate from 2010 dipped to 11.2 percent. His 17.8 percent line-drive rate from 2010 fell to 13.1 percent. He also swung at 28.8 percent of pitches outside the strike zone, an increase over his 24.2 percent mark from 2010. On top of that, 21.8 percent of the fly balls he hit were infield popups, which would've been the highest percentage in baseball had he received enough at-bats to qualify, a clear indication he wasn't right at the plate.

For all that went wrong in 2011, an injury was the biggest culprit for his struggles. Heyward spent time on the disabled list in May and June with a right shoulder injury that had reportedly bothered him since spring training. He underwent an MRI on the shoulder once the season ended in October (which came back negative), so it was likely an issue that he, to some extent, dealt with all season. Heyward also spent time on the DL in 2010 with a thumb injury, so it's fair to wonder if durability will continue to be an issue for the outfielder. However, to help him stay on the field this year, he spent the offseason on a "maintenance and stretching" program and reported to spring training 20 pounds lighter than he did in 2011 (he said the extra weight last season made him sluggish). He also worked with Chipper Jones and new hitting coach Greg Walker two or three times per week in January to get his swing back to where it was in 2010, before he altered it to compensate for his ailing shoulder. In early February, Chipper told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Heyward's swing was "90 percent back," an encouraging sign.

Heyward has looked good at times this spring and does have two home runs, including one off Stephen Strasburg, but he entered Tuesday with a .217/.250/.391 slash line and has struck out in nearly one-third of his at-bats (14 whiffs in 46 at-bats). Spring stats mean little, and there's still nearly two weeks of spring action left for him to get into a groove, but what we've seen thus far leaves something to be desired. A strong Grapefruit League performance would, at the very least, provide some optimism that he's set to rebound from last year's struggles.

According to ESPN's Live Draft Results, Heyward is being drafted 107th overall and 26th among outfielders. On one hand, that looks to be a potential buying opportunity given the sky-high upside and where he was being drafted last year. However, that's still a pretty high spot for a guy who didn't even crack the top 350 on the Player Rater last year and barely squeaked in as a top-40 outfielder in 2010. The group of outfielders being drafted immediately after Heyward includes Carlos Beltran, Drew Stubbs and Chris Young. All three of those guys have flaws, but Beltran was a top-25 outfielder last year, Stubbs is coming off a season in which he belted 15 homers and swiped 40 bases, and Young has gone 20/20 each of the last two years, so you're likely going to have to pass on some quality production to take a gamble on Heyward on draft day.

It's also important to realize that had Heyward stayed healthy last year there's no guarantee he would have necessarily taken another step toward superstardom. While he actually sported an improved 77 percent contact rate last season, he still boasts just a 76 percent contact rate over his two-year big league career, which doesn't match his 84 percent contact rate in the minors, or the 88 percent mark he posted between Double-A and Triple-A. He also holds just a .227 career batting average in 277 at-bats against left-handers. Plus, his 54.6 percent ground ball rate over the last two seasons is the eighth-highest mark in baseball, which obviously keeps his power potential limited as long as that trend continues. In short, the upside may be immense, but he's still got plenty of growing to do.

Given the long-term potential, Heyward isn't a guy I want to bet against. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he took a sizable step forward from his 2010 production and established himself as a top-20 outfielder this season. However, a true breakout isn't necessarily imminent. In fact, it may not come for another few years. Remember, he's still only 22, which is at least a few years away from when he'll enter his peak hitting years, anyway.

Pay for what Heyward did in 2010, and maybe a little more, but don't go overboard by banking on an MVP-type season just yet. Someday soon, perhaps. But not yet.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Uh-Oh For Utley

It appears that knee problems are going to cause Chase Utley to begin the season on the disabled list for a second straight year. While there was some optimism just a couple days ago about Utley potentially playing in a game this week, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. announced Monday that the 33-year-old second baseman had reached a "plateau" in his rehab and was being sent to an out-of-town specialist to have both of his knees examined. That's right, both of them.

It's well documented that Utley has chronic right knee tendinitis, but Amaro indicated Monday that the left knee is the one that's currently causing him the most trouble. That's pretty ominous news for someone who didn't make his season debut last year until May 23. Amaro told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that it's "doubtful" Utley will be ready to play by Opening Day, but fantasy owners should probably be prepared to be without him for quite a bit longer.

Utley batted .259/.344/.425 with 11 homers, 44 RBI, 14 stolen bases and a .769 OPS over 103 games last year. And while that's still pretty good production for a fantasy second baseman, it's tough to go all-in on someone who is a legitimate health risk and has seen his production decline pretty steadily over the past two seasons. I'm hesitant to drop him out of my personal top-10 at the position -- as they say, old habits die hard -- but he's very much on the fringe at this point.

Barring a trade, it appears 22-year-old Freddy Galvis will open the season as the Phillies' starting second baseman and No. 8 hitter. The Venezuela native is highly-regarded for his ability with the glove, but he owns an underwhelming .246/.292/.321 batting line over five seasons in the minor leagues. Galvis set new career-highs with eight homers and 23 stolen bases last year between Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley, but he's unlikely to hit for much power and doesn't have plus-speed. He doesn't get much of an endorsement from me outside of deeper NL-only formats.

Get the latest MLB projections, rankings, prospect info and more with Rotoworld's Online Draft Guide.

Cespedes In Center Field

Athletics general manager Billy Beane indicated on numerous occasions this month that Yoenis Cespedes was not guaranteed a spot on the Opening Day roster. However, given his big four-year, $36 million contract, most believed he would get every chance to win the starting center field job. While the 26-year-old is just 1-for-18 with six strikeouts since his impressive debut, the A's are apparently convinced he's major-league ready.

Athletics manager Bob Melvin announced Monday that Cespedes will begin the season as the team's starting center fielder while Coco Crisp will play left field. He technically isn't promised anything beyond the first two games in Japan, but it makes sense to keep him where he's comfortable as he adjusts to life in the big leagues.

Cespedes hasn't faced a lot of quality pitching before, so he would probably spend a month or two in the minors if he was playing for a contender. There's no doubt that he has raw plus-power and excellent speed, but a rough transition to the majors is certainly possible. Playing his home games in O.co Coliseum and hitting in a pretty weak A's lineup doesn't help matters. It's easy to get carried away with the hype, but I'd be hesitant to reach for him beyond the late-rounds of standard mixed league drafts.

Tommy John Surgery For Soria?

After losing catcher Salvador Perez for 12-14 weeks following left knee surgery last week, the Royals will now likely be without their closer for an extended period of time.

Joakim Soria went for an MRI exam on Monday after leaving Sunday's game with soreness in his throwing elbow. And the early word is pretty grim. He was diagnosed with damage in his ulnar collateral ligament and is expected to travel to Los Angeles on Tuesday to see Dr. Lewis Yocum.

The extent of the damage isn't yet known, but torn ulnar collateral ligaments usually lead to Tommy John surgery and 12-16 months of recovery time. The 27-year-old right-hander previously underwent Tommy John surgery in 2003 while with the Dodgers' organization.

This is a tough blow for the Royals, but they do have some quality in-house alternatives. Greg Holland is the best option on paper after posting a 1.80 ERA and 74/19 K/BB ratio over 60 innings last season, but Jonathan Broxton has the experience edge and has received positive reviews this spring following elbow surgery. My guess is that Broxton will get the nod initially. And while I think the Royals will be pretty pesky this season, it's not a bad strategy if they could eventually use him as trade bait.

Miggy Takes Grounder Off Face

Miguel Cabrera's transition back to third base took a bit of an ugly turn on Monday after he was hit in the face by a bad-hop ground ball and suffered a cut beneath his right eye. The 28-year-old left the field under his own power, but was sent to a local hospital for stitches and precautionary X-rays. We should learn more about his status at some point Tuesday morning.

Cabrera lost a lot of weight over the winter as he prepared to move back to the hot corner in order to accommodate Prince Fielder at first base. Nobody can question his dedication and commitment, but most believe he'll be a defense liability at third base. And that really has nothing to do with yesterday, as even a Gold Glover could be the victim of a bad hop.

I have my doubts about whether Cabrera will end up spending the whole season at third, but he'll likely stick there long enough to gain eligibility. And that's a big reason why I like him as a potential No. 1 overall pick in standard mixed leagues

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Deciding on divisive fantasy players
in.gif

Keith Law

Our fantasy department asked me if I'd answer a few questions about specific players they're hearing about often from readers this spring.

I picked a few where I felt I had reasonably strong opinions and have answered them here in a Q&A format.

What's the floor/ceiling this season for Pedro Alvarez?

<!-- begin inline 1 --><!-- INLINE MODULE -->I've been asked by a lot of readers if Alvarez is a "bust," but I don't like hanging that term on position players who haven't even reached age 27 (Alvarez plays at 25 this year). But the Pittsburgh Pirates didn't handle him well -- I always thought they rushed him up the minors, promoting him the moment he strung together a few good performances -- and adjustments he clearly needed to make coming out of college remain unmade. He doesn't have an ideal setup or swing, and his recognition of offspeed stuff has never been great -- far worse than that when the pitcher is left-handed.

I think he needs more time in Triple-A to work on those issues, if only because time in the majors this year he is likely to see more strikeout accumulation, although he could probably hit 25 home runs if the Pirates force 500 at-bats on him regardless of his OBP.

Thoughts on Michael Pineda and his "early struggles" this spring, or is this just the typical New York Yankees microscope on a player blowing things out of proportion?
<offer></offer>

With the caveat that I didn't see Pineda pitch while I was in Florida, I would say I'm concerned about Pineda but hardly panicking. He's not so far off his normal velocity that I'm silently thinking "torn labrum," but I saw Pineda last spring and he came into the month much stronger than he came into March this year. If his first regular-season start shows the same velocity, then I might think about panicking. If you're in a fantasy draft and have to make a decision on him now, I'd probably put about a 20-25 percent risk on him seriously underperforming his 2011 because of the velocity issue.

Houston Astros. What a wreck of a team. Do you like ANYTHING there? Is Brett Wallace just not who we thought he'd be? Is J.D. Martinez a legit middle-of-the-order bat?

I was a big Wallace fan until a scout pointed out to me in 2010 that Wallace couldn't turn on the ball inside. Unlike most left-handed hitters who hate facing left-handers, Wallace always seemed to hit them well because the left-hander's breaking ball moved away from him, not on the inner half. But this is not a question of approach but a physical limitation he can't surmount. Martinez is a fourth outfielder who won't hit or get on base enough to hit in the middle of the order, and he's a well below-average defender. Fans of really bad teams often overrate the least-bad performers on the roster, and Martinez looks like a classic example of that. I like Jordan Lyles as a long-term mid-rotation starter for Houston, but I don't think he's a high-strikeout guy for 2012. I don't see any of their top three prospects -- Jonathan Singleton, George Springer or Jarred Cosart -- impacting the big league club this year.
Thoughts on Leonys Martin?

Plus defensive center fielder and above-average runner with real swing issues even after the Texas Rangers tweaked his swing to drop his hands in his setup. Martin's dominance against Double-A pitchers was more a function of age and experience than of legitimate hitting ability. He's got a real soft front side and drops his back shoulder, producing a swing that's going to lead to a lot of ground balls. He's also not particularly patient, so I'm not sure how much the raw speed (again, above-average, but not plus) will lead to stolen bases if he's not getting on base that often.

Is Matt Moore really worthy of being drafted among the first 20 pitchers? David Price took a year to settle in, and that's the easy comp. Lazy analysis or legit concern?

Lazy analysis, like most comps are (which is why I try to avoid them unless they are so strong I can't resist). But I do think Moore could accidentally strike out 180 batters this year, even on an innings limit to try to keep him healthy for the long haul; he has three weapons with which to miss bats right now.
Why would I draft any Chicago Cubs player this season?

Self-loathing?

I admit that's not remotely fair. Matt Garza is good, so is Starlin Castro, not that you needed me to tell you either of those things. I'll reserve judgment on Jeff Samardzija until I see him in person, but reliable evaluators tell me he's a different guy this spring, with a better slider and just better overall command, both of which were real weaknesses for him in the past. Brett Jackson might be a 15 HR/15 SB guy if he gets the playing time, although I am concerned his average will be held down by chronic issues with contact.

Is Asdrubal Cabrera's power legit?

No, I don't think he comes close to repeating last year's 25-homer performance; he regressed in-season last year and wasn't close to the same guy after the All-Star break (.836 OPS before the break, .729 after). I do like his glove and think that he'll be a valuable player as a shortstop with some value on offense, but last year's All-Star performance looks like a peak to me, with 10-15 homers more realistic for 2012.

Howard Kendrick batting ahead of Albert Pujols; is there enough there to get really excited about? If not, who benefits most from the Pujols bump?

Nobody. Lineup protection is a terrible myth, one unsupported by any actual evidence I've seen. If you believe that Jose Bautista would have hit 15 more homers last year with Pujols hitting behind him, you probably also believe Bautista would have hit 15 more homers if Jupiter had been in Aquarius while he was at the plate. That said, if you're using context-dependent stats like runs scored or RBIs in your fantasy league, yes, Kendrick should score more runs with Pujols behind him.

Melky Cabrera was surprisingly good last season. Can he do it again (or even come close) playing for the San Francisco Giants?

No. And a good rule of thumb is that an older position player who had an out-of-character good season will give most of it back in the following year. Barring a major mechanical change that would justify the optimism after Year 1, I prefer to see a player repeat a new and unexpected level of performance for a second year before seeing it as a new base level. Plus, I've seen Melky swing at too many pitches at his eyes to believe he's more than a fourth outfielder.

We're asking ourselves the same question about Jacoby Ellsbury as we were asking about Jose Bautista's power surge: How legit is this guy as a power hitter now?

He started using his hips more last year to get rotational and get more loft in his swing, and he showed me several times he could drop the bat head and get to a ball on the inner half that would have tied him up a year or two earlier. That said, I'm expecting some regression in the power department, maybe to the 20-25 HR range.

Anyone light you up so far this spring?

I think Eric Hosmer ends up on MVP ballots this year. I'm not saying he's talented, but he can tell you an electron's position AND its momentum. I also have come around a bit late on Jemile Weeks as a hitter; if he gives back some average in 2012, he'll retain his value through more doubles and even double-digit homers. I saw Manny Machado in a split-squad major league game Sunday and I don't think he's as far away as I thought a month ago -- and that's referring to his offense and defense. I'm not advocating this by any means, but if the Baltimore Orioles decide to push him hard this year, I think he could see the majors by September. If you're in a deep keeper league, take note.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Who've I been drafting? Here are 'my guys'
in.gif

Eric Karabell

The easiest way for me to determine who "my guys" are for the upcoming season is to simply compete in a bunch of drafts, real or mock. I don't usually have favorites because, to me, I look for value in drafts. But when certain players continually show up on my teams, it's usually a pretty good indication I like them more than my fellow fantasy counterparts. And there's a certain middle infielder who seems to end up on just about all my teams.

He might be last alphabetically, but Ben Zobrist appears to be first in the heart of many of my fantasy teams.

<offer>OK, so that's exaggerating a bit, but the fact is after trading for Zobrist in my longest-tenured league Sunday night -- it was more of a need deal that fell in my lap than anything else -- I was reminded again why I was so fond of the fellow who adeptly mans second base and occasionally right field for the Tampa Bay Rays. It's odd, in a way. I don't think Zobrist is going to hit 30 home runs or steal 30 bases. Certainly he doesn't appear destined for a batting title -- his low batting averages turn off some fantasy owners -- and the late bloomer is on the wrong side of 30 years old.</offer>
Still, Zobrist has hit a cumulative .267 over the past three seasons, with 57 home runs and 60 stolen bases. It turns out only five players have accumulated more than that many home runs and steals in that time period: Matt Kemp, Ian Kinsler, Ryan Braun, Carlos Gonzalez and Chris Young. That's probably why I like Zobrist so much. I like to select hitters who can provide across-the-board numbers early in drafts, as opposed to, say, Matt Holliday and Michael Bourn, both of whom I discussed in Friday's blog entry on players I tend to avoid. Holliday no longer runs; Bourn has hit 13 home runs in his six-year career.
Plus, Zobrist plays second base, and I try to fill my middle-infield spots before Round 10. I can't make a case for selecting Zobrist over two-time 30-homer/30-steal achiever Kinsler, a fellow second baseman, but one of them is going in Round 2, and the other in Round 6. So apparently I'm sitting there in my drafts with four or five players locked up, I figure I need a middle infielder with pop and speed and I keep choosing Zobrist. Hey, that's fine with me. I expect Zobrist to flirt with another 20/20 season in 2012, nothing more, nothing less. Not every pick has to be brimming with upside. With Zobrist not starring but doing enough for my fantasy teams, the end certainly justifies the means.
Let's go position by position to find other players showing up on more than a few of my fantasy teams.
Catcher: I couldn't find a Carlos Santana or Mike Napoli anywhere. Even in multi-catcher leagues, I'm avoiding the top choices. As such, I found no real theme here. I retained Joe Mauer in a keeper league and chose him in one startup that favors on-base percentage. I secured Alex Avila late enough in one league, and Yadier Molina in another. The Salvador Perez pick in two leagues doesn't look prescient now that he has a knee injury. I'm not fond of Kurt Suzuki, but if he can be had in the last round, which has been the case more than once, I'm more than happy to take him then.
First base: I've discussed Lance Berkman plenty over the past year, but I think too many people think his 2011 was a fluke. Perhaps I do as well, but a .280-average, 25-homer, 90-RBI season remains worthy of where I've been picking him. Eric Hosmer also shows up on a few of my teams. Why can't he take that next stop to Joey Votto territory in 2012? In general, I've been avoiding the top first basemen to pick other positions. Late picks include Lucas Duda, Ike Davis and Brandon Belt.
Second base: I haven't been waiting here. It seems in nearly every league I have Dustin Pedroia, Kinsler, Zobrist or, unfortunately, Chase Utley starting for me. Pedroia and Kinsler seem to be my second-rounders. Utley slips in drafts because everyone seems scared of the worst-case scenario. I remain hopeful for 120 games, and remind people that he totaled 27 home runs and 27 stolen bases while averaging 109 games the past two years, so even if he does a middle-infield version of Josh Hamilton -- productive, but with disabled list stints costing him time -- I can deal with that.Shortstop: I knew that once I ranked Hanley Ramirez in my top 10, I'd get him in a few leagues. I also have Jimmy Rollins and Starlin Castro in various places. Clearly, deep down I appear to be concerned I'll be stuck with the Omar Infante-Jason Bartlett combination in leagues, because I haven't been messing around at middle infield. I'm also securing speed with Emilio Bonifacio and Erick Aybar types, since they are going later in leagues I've been in than Dee Gordon, who is certainly less proven.

Third base: Well, let's just say if Brett Lawrie has a poor season, a lot of my teams will feel it. I'm also depending on David Wright, Kevin Youkilis and Mat Gamel.
Outfield: I feel this is a deep fantasy position, so while I have secured my top overall pick Ryan Braun in a few leagues and been blessed with Justin Upton while picking last in the first round in a few others, I also have been fine reaching a bit for Shin-Soo Choo, Jayson Werth and Jason Heyward. Other players I apparently like more than other owners are Alex Gordon, Desmond Jennings, Ichiro Suzuki, Logan Morrison, Jeff Francoeur and Colby Rasmus, though it doesn't look like I've been drafting them too high. For example, I got Rasmus after Round 22 twice. There is upside there.
Starting pitcher: Even in leagues that weren't being played out, you won't find Roy Halladay or Justin Verlander on any of my teams. I did select CC Sabathia in the fifth round of a mock draft, but for the most part, it's Madison Bumgarner, Ricky Romero, Adam Wainwright and Jordan Zimmermann anchoring my staffs. Is that ideal? Well, what's wrong with filling a rotation with a bunch of No. 2 and No. 3 pitchers? Don't you get the same statistics as if you pair Clayton Kershaw with Jaime Garcia, but your offense is better prepared? Other pitchers showing up on many of my teams -- again, it's about value and trust more than anything else -- include Tim Hudson, Brandon Morrow, Brandon McCarthy, John Danks, Vance Worley and Jonathon Niese.Relief pitcher: Well, I have Craig Kimbrel in a keeper league, but he was a free-agent pickup two years ago, not a fifth-rounder last season or in 2012. I see a bunch of Brandon League types. You know, League was pretty darned good in 2011. I like to point out that if League saves the same number of games as Mariano Rivera -- he was seven short last year -- I've made my point. J.J. Putz, Joe Nathan, Javy Guerra and Jim Johnson seem to be undervalued by others as well, but just fine for me.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Miggy Cabrera Gets A Scare

Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera was hit in the face by a sharply-struck one-hopper Monday while playing third base in a Grapefruit League game against the Phillies. He immediately began bleeding from the area of impact, and held a towel to his eye as a trainer helped him off the field and down the dugout stairs into the clubhouse.

As fantasy enthusiasts, we of course feared the worst. But the news Tuesday out of Tigers camp was mostly positive.

After undergoing X-rays and a CT scan, Cabrera was diagnosed with a small, manageable fracture under his right eye. It won’t require surgery, and he’s expected to be cleared for live action in about two weeks.

Cabrera told ESPN’s Buster Olney on Tuesday afternoon that he “fully expects” to be ready for the opening of the regular season. And if he is able to resume fielding ground balls at his new position by the middle of next week, we won’t have any reason to doubt that seemingly-optimistic expectation.

Cabrera, 28, batted .344/.448/.586 with 30 home runs, 48 doubles, 105 RBI and 111 runs scored in 161 games last season for the Tigers. Now that he’s in line for fantasy eligibility at the hot corner -- and backed in the Detroit lineup by newcomer Prince Fielder -- many consider him this year’s sure-fire No. 1 overall pick.

For more rankings and analysis, along with depth charts, mock drafts and printable cheat sheets, check out Rotoworld's award-winning Online Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide.

A’s Pick Balfour Over Fuentes For Ninth

Oakland manager Bob Melvin announced to reporters Tuesday in spring camp that Australian-born right-hander Grant Balfour will open the 2012 regular season as the team’s closer.

It wasn’t a surprise given his competition (veteran left-hander Brian Fuentes) and it’s a decision that isn’t going to dominate the headlines on many sports-centric websites. But smart fantasy baseball owners are well aware that any closer news is big news, and that even ninth-inning men on bad teams can carry significant value.

Balfour, 34, registered a sparkling 2.47 ERA across 62 innings last season in a setup role for the A’s and has amassed a cool 115/37 K/BB ratio over his past 117 1/3 innings of work. He possesses a mid-90s fastball, a sharp power slider and a throw-em-off curve -- and he boasts superb command of all three pitches.

The ever-rebuilding Athletics might not win more than 70 games in 2012, but each of those wins should be close and Balfour is more than capable of turning tight late-inning leads into victories from his perch at the back end of the Oakland ‘pen. He needs to be owned in all fantasy leagues where saves mean something.

Halladay Proves Health In Dominant Start

Phillies right-hander Roy Halladay sent a shockwave of terror from Clearwater, Florida to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (and all points in between) last week when he yielded five earned runs in 2 2/3 innings to a light-hitting Twins lineup and topped out at just 89 mph with his fastball.

The 34-year-old ace assured reporters after that shaky outing that he was merely working on a few different grips and arm slots, but it wasn’t until 24-or-so hours ago that a sense of calm finally fell back over Phillies camp.

Halladay went six innings against the Orioles on Tuesday afternoon in his fourth Grapefruit League start, allowing only three hits and one earned run while striking out five Baltimore batters and issuing zero walks. He hit the lower-90s with his fastball and reported no physical problems. Worrying about Halladay last week was warranted, but there should be absolutely no concerns going forward. Draft him where he belongs -- in the first or second round.

Braun, Jeter Out Until Friday At Least

Two of baseball’s biggest stars are suffering from minor spring training injuries.

Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun was scratched from Tuesday’s Cactus League game against the Dodgers after admitting to team trainers that he’s been bothered recently by groin tightness. The mild groin discomfort is not a major concern, but the 2011 National League Most Valuable Player will not be in Milwaukee’s exhibition lineup until the weekend (at the earliest) for precautionary reasons.

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter is in a similar boat, though his ailment comes in the form of calf soreness. He’s also expected to be held out until the weekend, and it could be longer if he’s not feeling 100 percent by Saturday.

But there’s no reason to fret. Both are expected to be completely fine by Opening Day.

Rangers’ Holland Lands Five-Year Extension

The Rangers locked up left-handed starter Derek Holland on Tuesday morning, officially announcing a five-year, $28.5 million contract extension. The deal also carries an $11 million club option for the 2017 season and an $11.5 million club option for 2018.

Holland, who is oddly famous for his impression of Will Ferrell doing an impression of legendary broadcaster Haray Caray, registered a cool 3.95 ERA and 162/67 K/BB ratio in 198 regular-season innings last season for Texas before going 2-0 with a 3.82 ERA in 35 1/3 playoff frames.

Holland might seem like a complete jokester with his peach-fuzz mustache and teenager-esque giddiness, but the 25-year-old from Newark, Ohio can seriously pitch. And if he’s able to climb a little closer to the 9.5 K/9 that he carried as a minor-leaguer, he could suddenly become a very dangerous fantasy arm.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
My 'Bleagh!' guys: Dee Gordon ...

By Tristan H. Cockcroft | ESPN.com

Everyone has likes, and everyone has dislikes.
For me, the latter group includes interleague play, the sacrifice bunt, Tropicana Field, five-game playoff series and, oddly enough, peanut butter and jelly. (I say oddly because it's a difficult dislike when you have preschool-age children.)
As with anyone -- with the exception of out-and-out grouches who hate everything -- I have reasons for my dislikes. In the case of "PB&J," it's simple: I don't like the smell of those two ingredients in unison, though I like them separately; it has a rep as a "kid's" sandwich, yet adults eat it, which is all too weird; and it's one of the messiest foods in existence. For example, my 2-year-old daughter has been known to peel the pieces of bread apart, then eat the PB or J beginning from the middle of each piece and working outward.
Bleagh! Let's just say plenty of napkins are required.
The same feeling -- that "bleagh," those extreme dislikes -- also applies to fantasy baseball. The entire point of this game is to have an opinion; if you can't, then you're not going to have any fun playing it.
For me, and probably for most fantasy owners, dislikes initially come from the gut, and they're comparative to a player's perceived value, typically average draft position (ADP) or our consensus rankings. To me, there is no such thing as a "do not draft" list. When I say, "Don't draft him," I assume you know it comes with the usual caveat, "… anywhere near that listed price, though everyone has a purchase price." A fifth-round dislike might, and probably would, register with me as a brilliant pickup in the 15th round. Remember, value in this game is relative.
But dislikes run deeper for me than gut calls: If I don't like a player, I generally want a deeper rationale, something statistical of concern.
That's where some of the advanced statistical tools we have available come in. Many fantasy owners are already familiar with such references as Baseball-Reference.com and FanGraphs; ESPN also now has access to a pitch-tracking tool, which we use to gain even further insight on players' strengths and weaknesses. It's this tool that often supports many of my cases for "sleeper" and "bust" picks, and now, as I reveal my list of "bleagh" players, I'll demonstrate some of its capabilities.

Ichiro Suzuki, OF, Seattle Mariners

The challenge for us regarding Ichiro this season is determining which of the following is true: Was his 2011 merely a fluky down year, or was it a product of advancing age? Considering that he's now 38 years old, the latter is a legitimate fear. Ichiro struggled in two specific areas: He was no longer elite at hitting pitches outside of the strike zone, and he was not nearly as effective hitting hard fastballs (those clocked at 93 mph or faster).

Ichiro Suzuki, pitches out of strike zone

Ichiro Suzuki generated the second most balls in play on pitches outside the strike zone from 2009 to 2011. The major league batting average on balls outside the zone from 2009 to 2011 was .178. <table><thead><tr><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> 2009-10 </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> 2011 </center></th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> All counts </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .283 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .197 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> 2 strikes </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .245 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .172 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> Hitter's count </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .394 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .114 </td></tr></tbody></table>Courtesy of Mark Simon, ESPN Stats & Info

The table at the right demonstrates Ichiro's issues with pitches outside the zone; we're talking about an effective 23-hit drop, if you're comparing his 2009-10 seasonal average in that department with his 2011 output. For a player who comes to the plate more than 700 times annually, that represents more than a 30-point swing in terms of batting average. Meanwhile, Ichiro managed a mere .194 batting average against 93-plus mph fastballs last season; that was a drop-off from his .286 number against them in 2010, which was a drop-off from his .333 mark in 2009.
Ichiro has been tinkering with a new, wider batting stance this spring, and he'll be the Mariners' No. 3 hitter instead of their leadoff man. Neither presents any guarantee to correct either problem, and both might tease prospective fantasy owners into thinking they'll result in a rebound to his prime-year performances. I'm not so sure; his current ninth-round evaluation isn't far off his true value, but I am certainly not calling him a slam dunk to be one of the top 100 players in fantasy.

Adam Wainwright, SP, St. Louis Cardinals

Of the 10 names on this list, Wainwright is the one I like the most. The problem, however, is when I will like him: More so in 2013 -- or perhaps the second half of this season -- than, say, on Opening Day. We all know the relatively high success rate of pitchers recovering from Tommy John surgery, but a pitcher who relies on command, specifically of his breaking pitches, rather than velocity, has me taking a more conservative approach.

<style type="text/css">.mod-inline td img {margin: 0px;}</style><table style="margin: 0px; width: 100%;"><thead><tr><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"> </th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> Usage </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> BAA </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> OBPA </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> SLGA </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> K% </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> Miss% </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> K's </center></th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> Fastballs </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 44% </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .300 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .374 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .450 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 12. </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 9.9 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 96 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> Curveballs </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 26% </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .149 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .178 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .214 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 45.8 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 37.3 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 250 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> Sliders </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 16% </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .205 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .231 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .255 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 21.3 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 30.7 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 63 </td></tr></tbody></table>

Wainwright's nine perfect-ERA spring innings are sure to have his fantasy stock soaring, but I think those results do him a disservice. He's currently going in the 10th round and among the top 25 starters in ESPN drafts, and maybe from the All-Star break forward he'll be worth every penny of that price, but I'd rather target him as a top-40 pitcher and 14th-rounder now and avoid the risk. If it means I don't get him, that's fine. I'll just target him in a midseason trade … after I've seen proof that his curve and command are where they were pre-surgery.

Drew Stubbs, OF, Cincinnati Reds

Stubbs' propensity for strikeouts has become a massive problem; his 30.1 percent K rate last season was the second highest among qualified hitters, and his miss rate of 28.9 percent was ninth worst. Most disconcerting about his struggles is that pitchers appear to have found a noticeable hole in his swing: He was actually hitless in 31 at-bats that ended on pitches deemed "down" and "outside" -- meaning the bottom third and outside third of the plate -- after the All-Star break last season.
To the right, you can see Stubbs' problems specifically on breaking pitches. He managed mere .176/.236/.209 triple-slash rates against curveballs and sliders last season, and the hot and cold zones demonstrate that he hits such pitches only if they hover over the center of the plate, only getting worse at doing it in 2011. (That is a heck of a lot of blue in his 2011 zone chart.) Yes, Stubbs can steal 40 bases when granted the opportunity. But if his batting average declines further from his .241 mark of a season ago, will he get enough chances? He's too risky an outfielder to take at his current 13th-round draft value.

Dee Gordon, SS, Los Angeles Dodgers

Talk up Gordon's .304 batting average and 24 stolen bases as a rookie -- the latter projects to 64 in a 150-game season -- all you want, but hiding beneath the surface are scores of troubling peripheral statistics. First, those related to plate discipline:
• His 3.0 percent walk rate was 10th worst in the majors (200-plus PAs).
• His 54.2 percent swing rate was 16th highest.
• His 41.3 percent called strike rate was fourth highest.
• His 41.6 percent "chase" rate -- or his percentage of swings at pitches deemed outside the strike zone -- was 10th worst.
• His 32.7 percent chase rate on first pitches was a major league worst.
Gordon appeared as free-swinging as anyone, and that his career minor league walk rate was a mere 6.5 percent hints that it's a chronic issue. Now let's examine Gordon's statistics when he puts the ball into play:
• His 58.6 percent ground ball rate was 11th highest in the majors.
• His well-hit average -- the rate of his at-bats that resulted in hard contact -- was .121, third worst of any hitter with 200-plus plate appearances.
• He had a .210 well-hit average on non-ground balls or bunts (meaning line drives, fly balls and pop-ups), third worst among players with 80 or more.
• He had 2 well-hit fly balls the entire season.
Gordon, therefore, also ranks among the least threatening players in baseball with the bat, his value derived primarily from his speed. At best, his career trajectory looks like that of another Juan Pierre. At worst, he might be back in the minors in May, never to return. He's currently being selected in the 13th round on average, and that's simply too soon for a one-category, boom-or-bust player.

Carlos Marmol, RP, Chicago Cubs

Talk about boom-or-bust players. Exactly two seasons ago, Marmol posted a 15.99 strikeouts-per-nine innings ratio, the second best single-season number in baseball history. Meanwhile, he blew 10 saves a year ago, while his 5.88 lifetime walks-per-nine ratio ranks 10th worst all-time among pitchers with 450-plus career innings. The problem for him last season was his fastball; he couldn't locate it effectively, and as a result, opposing hitters sat on his slider, his "out" pitch.

<style type="text/css">.mod-inline td img {margin: 0px;}</style><table style="margin: 0px; width: 100%;"><thead><tr><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"> </th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;" colSpan="4"><center> 2010 </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;" colSpan="4"><center> 2011 </center></th></tr></thead><tbody><thead><tr><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"> </th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> Usage </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> BAA </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> Swing% </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> Miss% </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> Usage </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> BAA </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> Swing% </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> Miss% </center></th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> Fastball </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 41% </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .188 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 34.2 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 28.9 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 36% </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .311 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 28.5* </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 24.8 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> Slider </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 58% </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .130 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 41.1 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 45.9 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 64% </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> .183 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 45.6 </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 32.8 </td></tr></tbody></table>* Ranked last in the major leagues

Command is a monstrous problem for Marmol, and his four walks in 4&frac23; spring innings offer no further encouragement. Granted, he could save 30 games with a strikeout total in triple digits. But considering his issues last season -- and extending into this spring -- he might be the first big-name closer to lose his job, and even if he doesn't his WHIP could kill a fantasy team. No thanks.

Adam Dunn, 1B, Chicago White Sox

If Dunn's 2011 collapse truly indicates the waning stages of his career, he wouldn't be the first to have fallen flat on his face at such a young age. Recall the example of Richie Sexson, another "three true outcomes" slugger: At the age of 32, Sexson's OPS declined by 194 points, and a year later he was out of baseball. That Dunn is signed for another three seasons might present him a lengthier chance to keep playing than Sexson had, but the mere promise of at-bats doesn't assure a quick turnaround.
Dunn displayed three troubling weaknesses a year ago: He couldn't hit hard stuff (pitches clocked at 93 mph and up), he couldn't catch up to fastballs up in the zone and he couldn't touch left-handed pitching.

fan_dunn2011ts_300.jpg
Heat map: Adam Dunn versus "hard stuff" (93 mph or more) in 2011.

The heat maps to the right exemplify Dunn's issues with hard stuff, and suggest that diminished bat speed might have contributed. The other telling statistic about Dunn: His OPS on fastballs deemed "up" in the zone -- meaning the upper third -- dropped from .867 in 2010 to .427 in 2011, and he missed on 10 percent more of his swings against them. Simply put, he could not catch up with high heat, or "elite heat."
Whether the winter's rest will help might not be known until well after draft day, but again, if Dunn is indeed "done," he wouldn't be the first to suffer such a career collapse. He's going in the 21st round so far, but that's an effective starting lineup spot in a standard ESPN league. I wouldn't touch him as anything more than a last-in-your-lineup player, or a speculative reserve pick, if at all.

J.P. Arencibia, C, Toronto Blue Jays

Arencibia's platoon splits might be the most disconcerting aspect of his game. They paint the picture of a platoon mate, not a full-time starter:
2011 vs. RHP: .206/.273/.409, 27.7 miss percentage
2011 vs. LHP: .259/.310/.528, 26.1 miss percentage
But the anti-Arencibia case is founded on more than merely his struggles versus right-handers. A closer look reveals a player with poor plate coverage, unable to handle pitches either down in the outside or on the outer third, and one who struggles mightily with breaking stuff (curves and sliders), managing mere .228/.252/.434 triple-slash rates against them last season.
To the right, you can see Arencibia's hot and cold zones; he looks like the kind of hitter that pitchers will surely test with breaking stuff low and outside during his sophomore year. It's for that reason he's a weak No. 1 catcher in any fantasy league, and a shaky No. 2 even in shallow mixed formats.

Mark Trumbo, 1B, Los Angeles Angels

Trumbo's Plate Discipline

<table><thead><tr><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center></center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> 2011
1H </center></th><th style="vertical-align: bottom;"><center> 2011
2H </center></th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> Chase rate </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 40% </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 43%* </td></tr><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> Swing% (non-competitive pitches) </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 19% </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 25%* </td></tr><tr class="last"><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> Chase rate (2 strikes) </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 55% </td><td style="vertical-align: middle;" align="center"> 61%* </td></tr></tbody></table>* Each of these statistics ranked among the top five in the majors during the second half of 2011.

Third-base eligibility might be a tantalizing thing with Trumbo, but understand how challenging his battle is to avoid a dreaded sophomore slump. He's a questionable defender at the hot corner, and he's a noted free-swinger, one who only regressed in that regard as his rookie campaign progressed. Consider that Trumbo's 5.0 percent walk rate before the All-Star break was 13th worst among qualified hitters; his 3.5 percent rate after the All-Star break was eighth worst.
The table to the right further demonstrates Trumbo's free-swinging ways, a problem because of the potentially adverse impact upon his batting average. He might well be a one-category player -- he has 20-homer potential -- and it's for that reason he should scarcely be on the mixed-league radar.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
30 Questions: Atlanta Braves

By Mike Sheets | Special to ESPN.com

atl.gif
Which Jason Heyward will we get in 2012?

In the "Seinfeld" episode "The Strike," Jerry dates a girl named Gwen who is labeled a "two-face" by George. Depending on the lighting, she's either a complete knockout or borderline repulsive, so Jerry finds himself in a predicament because he doesn't know which version of Gwen he'll get on a given night. Likewise, Jason Heyward has been in the big leagues for two seasons now, and fantasy owners have seen two very different versions of the Atlanta Braves outfielder. One was a blossoming young slugger with superstar potential; the other barely managed to finish the year as a top-400 fantasy player. Unfortunately, we can't blame the "ugly" version of Heyward on a dimly lit clubhouse.

Heading into draft day last season, Heyward was the No. 13 outfielder in ESPN's rankings and ranked No. 41 overall. He was coming off a rookie campaign in which he batted .277 with 18 home runs, 72 RBIs and 11 stolen bases in 142 games, a performance that ranked him as a top-40 outfielder on the ESPN Player Rater and led to a second-place finish behind Buster Posey in the NL Rookie of the Year voting.

While those numbers may seem solid but unspectacular, it's important to keep Heyward's age in perspective. For the majority of his rookie campaign, he was only 20 years old. Most players are still playing at Class A at that age. Ryan Braun, for example, produced numbers during his rookie season -- .324-34-97 in 451 at-bats -- that dwarfed Heyward's, but the Milwaukee Brewers slugger was 24 at the time. That Heyward had that level of success at the big league level at such a young age is really quite remarkable, especially considering he spent virtually no time at Triple-A (just 11 at-bats).

The patience Heyward displayed at the plate during his rookie year was particularly noteworthy, as his .393 OBP ranked eighth in baseball, and his 14.6 percent walk rate tied Jose Bautista for the game's fifth-highest mark. More important, those numbers lined up with what he produced in the minors -- a .390 OBP in 240 minor league games and a 14.4 percent walk rate between Double-A and Triple-A -- which is a good indication that his rookie season was an accurate reflection of his skill level.

Heyward producing right out of the gate wasn't particularly surprising, either. After all, the former first-round pick batted .317/.390/.507 during his minor league career and was regarded by Baseball America as the No. 5 overall prospect in 2009 and the No. 1 overall prospect in 2010, so expectations were already lofty. In his Top 100 prospects list from 2010, our own Keith Law acknowledged that while Heyward's swing isn't perfect, "… he's so strong and has such bat speed that the minor flaw has been irrelevant at every stop of his pro career. Everything else here points to stardom." Needless to say, Heyward's rookie season was thought to be the first step toward just that.

Everything came crumbling down in 2011, however, as Heyward hit .227 with 14 homers and 42 RBIs in 396 at-bats. His .260 batting average on balls in play didn't help matters, but too much went wrong last year to simply blame it all on bad luck. His 14.6 percent walk rate from 2010 dipped to 11.2 percent. His 17.8 percent line-drive rate from 2010 fell to 13.1 percent. He also swung at 28.8 percent of pitches outside the strike zone, an increase over his 24.2 percent mark from 2010. On top of that, 21.8 percent of the fly balls he hit were infield popups, which would've been the highest percentage in baseball had he received enough at-bats to qualify, a clear indication he wasn't right at the plate.

For all that went wrong in 2011, an injury was the biggest culprit for his struggles. Heyward spent time on the disabled list in May and June with a right shoulder injury that had reportedly bothered him since spring training. He underwent an MRI on the shoulder once the season ended in October (which came back negative), so it was likely an issue that he, to some extent, dealt with all season. Heyward also spent time on the DL in 2010 with a thumb injury, so it's fair to wonder if durability will continue to be an issue for the outfielder. However, to help him stay on the field this year, he spent the offseason on a "maintenance and stretching" program and reported to spring training 20 pounds lighter than he did in 2011 (he said the extra weight last season made him sluggish). He also worked with Chipper Jones and new hitting coach Greg Walker two or three times per week in January to get his swing back to where it was in 2010, before he altered it to compensate for his ailing shoulder. In early February, Chipper told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Heyward's swing was "90 percent back," an encouraging sign.

Heyward has looked good at times this spring and does have two home runs, including one off Stephen Strasburg, but he entered Tuesday with a .217/.250/.391 slash line and has struck out in nearly one-third of his at-bats (14 whiffs in 46 at-bats). Spring stats mean little, and there's still nearly two weeks of spring action left for him to get into a groove, but what we've seen thus far leaves something to be desired. A strong Grapefruit League performance would, at the very least, provide some optimism that he's set to rebound from last year's struggles.

According to ESPN's Live Draft Results, Heyward is being drafted 107th overall and 26th among outfielders. On one hand, that looks to be a potential buying opportunity given the sky-high upside and where he was being drafted last year. However, that's still a pretty high spot for a guy who didn't even crack the top 350 on the Player Rater last year and barely squeaked in as a top-40 outfielder in 2010. The group of outfielders being drafted immediately after Heyward includes Carlos Beltran, Drew Stubbs and Chris Young. All three of those guys have flaws, but Beltran was a top-25 outfielder last year, Stubbs is coming off a season in which he belted 15 homers and swiped 40 bases, and Young has gone 20/20 each of the last two years, so you're likely going to have to pass on some quality production to take a gamble on Heyward on draft day.

It's also important to realize that had Heyward stayed healthy last year there's no guarantee he would have necessarily taken another step toward superstardom. While he actually sported an improved 77 percent contact rate last season, he still boasts just a 76 percent contact rate over his two-year big league career, which doesn't match his 84 percent contact rate in the minors, or the 88 percent mark he posted between Double-A and Triple-A. He also holds just a .227 career batting average in 277 at-bats against left-handers. Plus, his 54.6 percent ground ball rate over the last two seasons is the eighth-highest mark in baseball, which obviously keeps his power potential limited as long as that trend continues. In short, the upside may be immense, but he's still got plenty of growing to do.

Given the long-term potential, Heyward isn't a guy I want to bet against. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he took a sizable step forward from his 2010 production and established himself as a top-20 outfielder this season. However, a true breakout isn't necessarily imminent. In fact, it may not come for another few years. Remember, he's still only 22, which is at least a few years away from when he'll enter his peak hitting years, anyway.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Who closes for the Royals now?
in.gif

Eric Karabell

I applauded the Jonathan Broxton signing by the Kansas City Royals this offseason. It was just the type of low-cost (one year, $4 million), high-upside move a losing team should make, to see if the former dominant closer can get his career back on track. Maybe he helps the team compete or becomes July trade bait to a contender. Whatever the case, it's a no-lose situation for that commitment, nothing like giving $50 million to someone. … Oh, I'll get over that eventually.
Of course, if the Royals actually make Broxton the closer just because of the numbers on the back of his baseball card, I'm not close to as positive about that move. In the wake of current closer Joakim Soria likely needing another Tommy John surgery (he also had it in 2003), the situation for saves in Kansas City is wide open, more than it really should be.

First of all, can I just say this is an awful job by the Royals in failing to trade Soria when his value was high because, once upon a time, it certainly was. Fantasy owners loved Soria as well, making him one of the top three closers off the board in 2011. He didn't finish that way. However, the Royals last won more than 84 games in 1989. Closers are fungible. Now you get nothing for Soria and in a year he's nothing but question marks. Fantasy/simulation owners really should learn from this in longer-term leagues.
Look no further than at Broxton for proof. He used to be an elite reliever, one of the best, if not the best for a time. That time has passed, and it's why closers make for awful keepers and shouldn't be overrated even in one-year drafts. The top fellows change all the time. Among current names, Brad Lidge, Soria and Broxton are great examples and, sorry if you've got Atlanta Braves right-hander Craig Kimbrel in a dynasty league, but move him soon. Most relievers have short shelf lives, notably those who throw in the high-90s.
As for Broxton, I'm seeing/hearing people presuming he'll be as good as new for the Royals, and the initial reaction is to draft him as more than a late-round sleeper. To me, while the risk for the Royals and you in a deep league or AL-only format makes some sense, there's not a ton of hope here. Since the 2010 All-Star break, Broxton has a 6.63 ERA and an elbow surgery. And he's large. Really large, as this photo of two of his bullpen mates fitting into his pants shows. You'd like to see a guy trying to resurrect his career in better, um, shape.
In real baseball, saves are a ridiculous statistic, proving nothing except opportunity. Soria managed to "save" 28 games last season, but he didn't have a good season. Todd Worrell once saved 35 games with a 5.28 ERA. Shall we talk about Kevin Gregg's career? Soria allowed seven home runs (six to right-handed hitters), posted a 5.81 road ERA and briefly lost the closer role to Aaron Crow in early-June. Of course, the Royals being the Royals, Crow, who was an All-Star middle reliever, never got a save chance in that time and Soria reclaimed the job.
Anyway, forget about Soria in fantasy leagues, one-year formats or keepers. And, while many expect Broxton to inherit the team's closer role and expect great things, I'm not even close to being on that bandwagon. Broxton looked shaky in his one inning of work Tuesday, His velocity is supposedly back in the low-90s, but he's coming off elbow surgery and there's absolutely no truth that ninth-inning experience matters. Managers make themselves look silly when they choose guys like Broxton over Greg Holland, though really the eighth inning is just as important.

Finally, we get to Holland. He was excellent as a rookie. Using FanGraphs WAR as a barometer, only five relief pitchers were better in 2011, and only three of them were closers. Holland's numbers should regress some, but he deserves the signature, if often misunderstood, role of closer. But I think that's obvious, don't you? If we're talking sleepers, however, Holland is anything but. I rank him just outside the top 25 closers in fantasy right now, assuming the Royals do the right thing.
The real sleeper for saves in Kansas City, depending on how one defines the word sleeper, is Aaron Crow. I mean, he was next in line last year. The fact he made the All-Star team is irrelevant, but Crow is basically a fastball/slider guy that gets good velocity, occasionally loses command but misses bats, and was conveniently moved out of starting consideration the same day the Soria news came down. Crow and Holland could be a lot closer in value than people think.
For now, don't draft Soria at all. In 10- and 12-team leagues, I still wouldn't bother with Broxton, who is pretty likely to break down at some point or simply pitch poorly. I think Holland is the pending closer, and I think he'll thrive in the role. But if I'm taking a shot on a sleeper with upside, I'll spend a dollar in an AL-only format on Crow.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
30 Questions: New York Yankees

By AJ Mass | ESPN.com

nyy.gif
Is Curtis Granderson worthy of a first-round (top 10) fantasy pick?

Fantasy owners place a lot of importance in their first-round draft picks, which makes perfect sense. After all, if you select a player expecting something in the neighborhood of a .300 average, 20 homers and 50 steals, and all he does is hit .255 with 11 home runs and 18 stolen bases, then odds are your team might not be destined for championship glory.
Yes, I'm talking about you, Carl Crawford.
Even though, in hindsight, we at ESPN Fantasy were obviously way off base when we put Crawford atop our 2011 outfield rankings, most people agreed with our assessment at the time, just as they did when we ranked Curtis Granderson as our No. 27 outfielder. And wouldn't you know it -- Granderson shocked the fantasy baseball world by hitting 41 homers, driving in 119 runs, stealing 25 bases and scoring 136 runs. From 27th-ranked outfielder to sixth overall on the 2011 ESPN Player Rater.

Of course, now the million-dollar question is: Can Granderson repeat that success in 2012? And a related question: Would you dare select him in the first round?
That's exactly what happened recently in ESPN Fantasy's Twitter Mock Draft, when ESPN Deportes host Carolina Guillen selected Granderson with the No. 5 overall pick. That selection raised a lot of eyebrows … but I fully applaud the decision.
Allow me to state my case.
Back in 2010, I wrote an article endorsing Jacoby Ellsbury as a first-round fantasy selection based on our projection for him of eight home runs and 60 stolen bases. Many people scoffed at that article, and sadly, we'll never know for sure if I was right to make that endorsement or not, because Ellsbury got hurt in early April and ended up playing only 18 games. However, after watching him break out with 32 home runs and 39 steals in 2011, good enough for No. 2 on the 2011 ESPN Player Rater, I can't help but feel some sense of vindication.
Of course, I didn't just pull Ellsbury's name out of a hat. There was a method to the madness. Let's take a look at the league leaders in the four offensive "counting" categories from last season as a starting point:

<table><thead><tr><th> Major League leader </th><th> Granderson's runs </th><th> Bourn's SBs </th><th> Bautista's HRs </th><th> Kemp's RBIs </th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td> Player Total </td><td> 136 </td><td> 61 </td><td> 43 </td><td> 126 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> Percentage of league total </td><td> 0.65 </td><td> 1.86 </td><td> 0.94 </td><td> 0.64 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> Pct. of top 200 hitters </td><td> 1.00 </td><td> 2.81 </td><td> 1.31 </td><td> 0.95 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 1.00% of top 200 hitters </td><td> 136 </td><td> 22 </td><td> 33 </td><td> 132 </td></tr></tbody></table>

OK, lemme explain. There were 13,224 total RBIs in the majors in 2011. Granderson's 136 RBIs accounted for 0.65 percent of them, a pretty high number considering he's just one player in an entire league. Of course, not all of those 13,224 RBIs were accounted for in fantasy, especially in mixed leagues. Fantasy rosters are limited; in a standard ESPN league, each team is required to start only 13 offensive players. That severely cuts back on the number of players who contribute to your league's stat pool.
So we drop the number of usable hitters to 200. Why 200? For several reasons. First, it makes for a more accurate number of hitters who would be used during the course of the season in a standard-sized or even a slightly deeper league. You don't just start the same 130 (in our standard) or 168 (in 12-team leagues with 14 active spots) hitters all season long.

Second, we are talking about drafting, and that means more of the player pool should be considered. If we were doing a retrospective 2011 argument, it would be obvious which players would be considered the top 130 or top 150. But since we don't just put those players on our draft lists -- we include more players, using 2012 projections instead of 2011 stats -- we must expand our draft scope to include those similarly valued players.
And finally, this allows us to get deeper into each position to more accurately determine value. For instance, there are only 10 active catchers at a given time in a standard ESPN league, but it's not always the same 10 catchers. Because of injuries, ineffectiveness or platoons, a good 15 or even 20 catchers could be used often. Expanding the pool includes these additional players who have fantasy relevance, even if they're not in the top 130 or 150.

Back to Granderson, let's compare his 2011 stats with those of the average upper-echelon fantasy baseball hitters:
Curtis Granderson versus the Top 200

Curtis Granderson's numbers compared with the top 200 fantasy hitters in 2011.
<table><thead><tr><th> 2011 Totals </th><th> AB </th><th> R </th><th> H </th><th> HR </th><th> RBI </th><th> SB </th><th> AVG </th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td> Average of the top 200 hitters </td><td> 498 </td><td> 68 </td><td> 135 </td><td> 16 </td><td> 66 </td><td> 11 </td><td> 0.272 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> Curtis Granderson </td><td> 583 </td><td> 136 </td><td> 153 </td><td> 41 </td><td> 119 </td><td> 25 </td><td> 0.262 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> Pct. of all top 200 hitters stats </td><td> 0.58 </td><td> 1.00 </td><td> 0.56 </td><td> 1.25 </td><td> 0.90 </td><td> 1.15 </td><td> --- </td></tr></tbody></table>

As you can see, in four of five categories, Granderson gives you far more than the average hitter on a (deep) fantasy roster. It should be noted that the percentage for batting average is calculated in a slightly different manner because it is a ratio determined by a combination of both at-bats and hits, and not a singular category total, which explains the dash above. However, it's clear that Granderson didn't hurt you much in that category either, especially considering that if you turn just six of his outs into hits, he'd be at .273.

Using these percentages yields something I call "total impact," which is a measure of how much a hitter contributes to a fantasy team across all five categories. Here's a list of the most valuable fantasy contributors, based on the 2011 statistics for all players:
<table><thead><tr><th> Rank </th><th> Name </th><th> AB </th><th> H </th><th> HR </th><th> SB </th><th> R </th><th> RBI </th><th> Total Impact </th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td> 1 </td><td> Matt Kemp </td><td> 602 </td><td> 195 </td><td> 39 </td><td> 40 </td><td> 115 </td><td> 126 </td><td> 4.02 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 2 </td><td> Curtis Granderson </td><td> 583 </td><td> 153 </td><td> 41 </td><td> 25 </td><td> 136 </td><td> 119 </td><td> 3.70 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 3 </td><td> Jacoby Ellsbury </td><td> 660 </td><td> 212 </td><td> 32 </td><td> 39 </td><td> 119 </td><td> 105 </td><td> 3.66 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 4 </td><td> Ryan Braun </td><td> 563 </td><td> 187 </td><td> 33 </td><td> 33 </td><td> 109 </td><td> 111 </td><td> 3.53 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 5 </td><td> Jose Bautista </td><td> 513 </td><td> 155 </td><td> 43 </td><td> 9 </td><td> 105 </td><td> 103 </td><td> 3.12 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 6 </td><td> Ian Kinsler </td><td> 620 </td><td> 158 </td><td> 32 </td><td> 30 </td><td> 121 </td><td> 77 </td><td> 3.10 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 7 </td><td> Albert Pujols </td><td> 579 </td><td> 173 </td><td> 37 </td><td> 9 </td><td> 105 </td><td> 99 </td><td> 2.91 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 8 </td><td> Justin Upton </td><td> 592 </td><td> 171 </td><td> 31 </td><td> 21 </td><td> 105 </td><td> 88 </td><td> 2.90 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 9 </td><td> Prince Fielder </td><td> 569 </td><td> 170 </td><td> 38 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 95 </td><td> 120 </td><td> 2.84 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 10 (tie) </td><td> Robinson Cano </td><td> 623 </td><td> 188 </td><td> 28 </td><td> 8 </td><td> 104 </td><td> 118 </td><td> 2.76 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 10 (tie) </td><td> Dustin Pedroia </td><td> 635 </td><td> 195 </td><td> 21 </td><td> 26 </td><td> 102 </td><td> 91 </td><td> 2.76 </td></tr></tbody></table>

Total impact is the sum of each player's percentage of the top 200 hitters' stats in each offensive category, weighted due to the fact that there clearly are diminishing returns from having a total so far ahead of the league average.
After all, you get the same amount of points for winning the stolen base category by one steal as you do if you win it by 50, and since we also recognize that the majority of stolen bases tend to come from so few sources, once you have a certain "cushion" in this particular category, each subsequent stolen base has less value than the ones that came before.
That's why a player like Michael Bourn, who had 2.81 percent of all steals from the top 200 players, won't be listed in the top 10. With no power to speak of, one-category players like Bourn can't crack the first round. However, a player like Granderson easily does, and is worthy of mention in the same breath as MVP candidates like Albert Pujols and Matt Kemp.

Now, I can already hear your argument. "You used last year's statistics in that chart. There's no guarantee he does that again." And you'd have a good point. However, if we run the numbers again, this time using the 2012 ESPN Projections for each player, you will see that Granderson is still a first-round talent. Here are the top 10 hitters in terms of 2012 total impact:
<table><thead><tr><th> Rank </th><th> Player </th><th> AB </th><th> H </th><th> HR </th><th> SB </th><th> R </th><th> RBI </th><th> Total Impact </th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td> 1 </td><td> Matt Kemp </td><td> 611 </td><td> 178 </td><td> 34 </td><td> 33 </td><td> 103 </td><td> 112 </td><td> 3.22 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 2 </td><td> Ryan Braun </td><td> 636 </td><td> 198 </td><td> 31 </td><td> 25 </td><td> 111 </td><td> 121 </td><td> 3.13 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 3 </td><td> Albert Pujols </td><td> 580 </td><td> 182 </td><td> 44 </td><td> 11 </td><td> 109 </td><td> 109 </td><td> 3.09 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 4 </td><td> Jacoby Ellsbury </td><td> 644 </td><td> 190 </td><td> 24 </td><td> 44 </td><td> 105 </td><td> 87 </td><td> 3.02 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 5 </td><td> Jose Bautista </td><td> 533 </td><td> 151 </td><td> 43 </td><td> 9 </td><td> 104 </td><td> 104 </td><td> 2.88 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 6 </td><td> Curtis Granderson </td><td> 589 </td><td> 142 </td><td> 36 </td><td> 20 </td><td> 112 </td><td> 97 </td><td> 2.84 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 7 </td><td> Ian Kinsler </td><td> 573 </td><td> 155 </td><td> 27 </td><td> 29 </td><td> 112 </td><td> 76 </td><td> 2.70 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 8 </td><td> Prince Fielder </td><td> 573 </td><td> 168 </td><td> 40 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 98 </td><td> 117 </td><td> 2.70 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 9 </td><td> Joey Votto </td><td> 593 </td><td> 185 </td><td> 32 </td><td> 10 </td><td> 104 </td><td> 107 </td><td> 2.68 </td></tr><tr class="last"><td> 10 </td><td> Miguel Cabrera </td><td> 580 </td><td> 191 </td><td> 33 </td><td> 3 </td><td> 110 </td><td> 113 </td><td> 2.67 </td></tr></tbody></table>

If you're looking for a safe, conventional first-round pick, by all means, take someone like Joey Votto. Nobody is going to think any less of you for doing so. But if you believe our projected stat line for Granderson is an accurate outlook for 2012, it makes far more sense to grab him instead, because he's going to contribute more across all five categories. Is it unconventional? Sure it is. Is it risky? A little. But it very well could be the kind of pick that wins you a league championship.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
All Fine With Feliz?

For being such a celebrated symbol of renewal, spring training also has a funny way of letting you know when the end is near. For every wonder-inducing Yu Darvish start, there’s the invincible Mariano Rivera hinting at retirement. For every ripped liner from Brett Lawrie, there’s Aaron Rowand struggling to get back what’s long been lost.

The strange dichotomy was on display off the field on Wednesday, where word came out of one camp that an old workhorse in Chris Carpenter wouldn’t be ready for his customary start on Opening Day, while in another an ace of the future in Stephen Strasburg was being told the day-one ball was his.

That is not to say Carpenter is as near the end as Rivera or Rowand. He isn’t. But whereas Strasburg — fragile arm and all — represents limitless potential for a franchise on the rise, the Carpenter news served as a harsh reminder that no matter the heroics he delivered last October, he’s still a soon-to-be 37-year-old man who’s lost nearly four entire big-league seasons to injury.

As of yet, there’s no reason to think it will soon be five lost years — or a career — for Carp. But if that’s eventually the case, no one can say the spring didn’t forewarn it.

As for Strasburg, expectations that have see-sawed ever since he was the No. 1 overall pick of the 2009 draft are now back to “impossibly high.” Here’s to hoping he gets a longer chance to meet them this time around.

For more rankings and analysis, along with depth charts, mock drafts and printable cheat sheets, check out Rotoworld's award-winning Online Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide.

As the Swingmen Turn

Every spring has its narratives. Usually they’re false, but be that as it may, 2012 has no shortage of stud relievers trying to make the transition to the rotation.

Neftali Feliz, Chris Sale, Daniel Bard and Aroldis Chapman are just a few (well ok, most) of the stoppers who are hoping to become starters. On Wednesday, we received news on two of them.

For Feliz, it was good. One day after complaining of dreaded shoulder tightness, he awoke feeling so much better the Rangers decided he didn’t even need an MRI. As long as things are similarly pain-free on Thursday, he’ll remain on track to make his first big-league start sometime in early April.

The news was decidedly less rosy for Bard (and fantasy players who’ve gambled on him as a starter), as the rumor out of Sox camp is that he’s headed back to the bullpen. It wouldn’t be the worst news for his fantasy value had the Sox not gone out and overpaid for acquired Andrew Bailey over the winter. Alas, they did, and now Bard is a former top prospect on the verge of becoming a lifetime reliever. His numbers — 7.11 ERA, 6/10 K/BB ratio through 12 2/3 Grapefruit League innings — have been downright ugly.

UCL Blues

Bard’s bad news didn’t compare to Joakim Soria’s, however. Once the heir apparent to the Great Rivera, Soria is now on the cusp of his second career Tommy John operation. It comes one year after a down campaign damaged his reputation as the game’s second-best closer, and even temporarily cost him his job.

Tommy John wouldn’t typically be career-threatening for a 27-year-old who’s racked up just 315 1/3 major-league innings, but the fact that it would be Soria’s second comprehensive UCL repair complicates matters. Once a linchpin, he’s now probably safe to abandon in your keeper league. Whenever Soria’s 2012 is officially ended, Jonathan Broxton will be first in line to the throne, with Greg Holland a close second. Last year’s setup man Eye on A.J.

Continuing with our theme of alternating good news/bad news, things are on the upswing for A.J. Burnett (eye), who tossed 52 pitches in a Wednesday bullpen session.

Provided there are no complications, he’ll pitch in a simulated game on Saturday. Although the nature of Burnett’s injury necessitates a deliberate recovery, there should be no setbacks, and he’ll be ready to roll by early May. He could be an extremely shrewd late-round pick in deeper mixed leagues.

Marked to Start

The news was even better for the Brewers, who learned Shaun Marcum (shoulder) remains on pace to make his first scheduled start of the regular season. Marcum has been slowed by shoulder inflammation all spring, but is set to make two Cactus League appearances after turning in a pain-free minor-league outing on Wednesday.

The situation is not to be taken lightly for a player who missed all of 2009 after undergoing Tommy John surgery, but coming off a career year, Marcum remains worth the risk in the middle rounds of mixed-league drafts.

Short Hops

Taking a page from the Bartolo Colon playbook, Zach Britton underwent a platelet rich plasma (PRP) injection in his troublesome left shoulder on Wednesday. Not allowed to pick up a ball for at least the next week, he could begin the year in extended spring training. … Chris Perez (oblique) threw a 20-pitch session of live batting practice, and is slated to make his Cactus League debut on Friday. Barring a setback, he’ll be ready for Opening Day. … Dealing with a “lot of bleeding” in his badly strained left hamstring, Chien-Ming Wang is expected to be sidelined for at least a month. Depending on how things play out, it could mean he won't get a chance to crack the Nationals’ rotation this season. … Orlando Hudson aggravated his right groin ailment, and is now in danger of missing Opening Day. Plagued by injury each of the past two seasons, the “O-Dog” is shaping up to be a poor fantasy option even in NL-only leagues. … Chris Iannetta (elbow) reported no problems after a Wednesday game of catch, and should be back in the lineup within 1-2 days. ... Drew Pomeranz (hip) threw 66 pitches in a minor-league exhibition game, and shouldn’t be an injury concern going forward. … Jacob Turner (shoulder) reported no problems after playing catch from a distance of 150 feet. He could return to the mound as early as next week. … Raul Ibanez is hitting .059/.111/.088 this spring. Brett Lawrie? .609/.625/.957. Dealing with groin tightness, Lawrie is expected to return to the lineup Thursday afternoon.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Save projections/sleepers for every team
in.gif

Eric Karabell

As a fantasy owner, it's important to know who is getting each team's save opportunities, no matter your setup. That's the easy part, as most teams have their closer situations settled.

But that's not all you need to know. At least a third of major league teams will change ninth-inning save options at some point in a given season, for myriad reasons. So it's important to dig a bit deeper, determining who else could land in the role, because some of those deep sleepers will also matter.

<offer>As such, I've listed my current projected saves leader, next in line and any potential sleepers for all 30 major league teams. Whether it's determining who I feel will lead the team in saves or finding a cheap or late-round option, there's certain to be a helpful option or three for you to consider:</offer>
bal.gif
Save leader: Jim Johnson will save 25 games. Hey, I like him, but this team is going to lose a lot.
Next in line: Kevin Gregg is still there, and he always finds a way. But Matt Lindstrom should be next, though he's no Dennis Eckersley.
Sleeper: It's not Dontrelle Willis. With no obvious long-term closer, I'd watch for prospect Dan Klein in the second half. He has the stuff to close.
bos.gif
Save leader: Andrew Bailey will have at least one DL stint, but he still saves 30 games.
Next in line: Mark Melancon isn't special, but he was fine for Houston in 2011. Give him double-digit saves.
Sleeper: Daniel Bard is obvious, but I think he makes it as a starter. Vicente Padilla is a reasonable sleeper choice, sadly.

nyy.gif
Save leader: This is not the year Mariano Rivera struggles. I say 36 saves.
Next in line: Rafael Soriano has leaped David Robertson for this role. Not that it will get him more than about five saves, though.
Sleeper: Nothing past those two guys, really. If David Aardsma were healthy, I could make the … no, I couldn't really make the case. And don't say Joba Chamberlain. He'll save as many games in 2012 as Goose Gossage.

tam.gif
Save leader: I don't think Kyle Farnsworth is a fluke, but I'll take the under on him getting 30 saves. Give him 29 for the AL East winners.
Next in line: Surely Joe Maddon is smart enough to not give Fernando Rodney save chances. I think it's Joel Peralta. But Maddon zigs when others zag.
Sleeper: Former Mariner Josh Lueke throws hard and hasn't walked anyone, as of this writing, in the spring. Just sayin'. Maddon is wise.

tor.gif
Save leader: It wouldn't surprise me if Francisco Cordero gets chances, but Sergio Santos leads the way. Just don't expect 40 saves. More like 32.
Next in line: Cordero is next, then Casey Janssen.
Sleeper: I think Joel Carreno will start in the minors, but he has a tremendous arm for possible closing duty eventually. And keep an eye on Dustin McGowan; it's unlikely he can handle a starter's innings for six months.

chw.gif
Save leader: I think Addison Reed wins the job and keeps it for 34 saves.
Next in line: Matt Thornton could win the job and save 34 games himself, but I'm taking Reed. Jesse Crain seems like a non-factor to me.
Sleeper: Acquired in the Ozzie Guillen trade -- yes, it was a trade -- right-hander Jhan Marinez misses a ton of bats, but he also walks people. Future Carlos Marmol perhaps? He should close in Triple-A this season.

cle.gif
Save leader: If healthy, and it appears he will be, Chris Perez is the guy. But he has to pitch better to get 36 saves again. I'll give him only 26.
Next in line: Vinnie Pestano is just better. I say he gets a chance when Perez serves a June DL stint and creates a battle for the role.
Sleeper: One of these years, lefty Nick Hagadone will have a Jonny Venters 2011-like season. Might not be now, but watch him. He'll pile on the whiffs.

det.gif
Save leader: Jose Valverde won't be perfect in save opps again this season. But watch him get 40 saves with a 3.30 ERA.
Next in line: Joaquin Benoit was solid in 2011, and will be again.
Sleeper: Well, Octavio Dotel is lurking, and I don't expect manager Jim Leyland to know that the right-hander struggles mightily against lefty hitters. He just knows Dotel has closed before. Al Alburquerque looms for September, too.

kan.gif
Save leader: I think it's Greg Holland, as noted in this blog entry. But I can't give him more than 22 saves, because I bet Jonathan Broxton starts the year with the job.
Next in line: For now, Holland and Broxton are battling.
Sleeper: Watch out for Aaron Crow. He should have gotten save chances last year.

min.gif
Save leader: I'm sorry, but Matt Capps isn't keeping this job with those home run and strikeout rates. No chance. I think Glen Perkins leads the team with 19 saves. It's not a good team, after all.
Next in line: Capps, Perkins and Alex Burnett are the likely contenders.
Sleeper: I'd give a kid like Deolis Guerra a shot. What's the worst that could happen? It's not like the current bullpen features hard throwers.

laa.gif
Save leader: Jordan Walden seems safe to me, and he can get better. Give him 37 saves.
Next in line: Scott Downs doesn't want to close and won't need to. And Jason Isringhausen could leap over him for saves if Walden struggles.
Sleeper: Izzy fits as a sleeper, and Kevin Jepsen has minor league closing experience.

oak.gif
Save leader: Grant Balfour has the job, and I think he'll pitch well enough to keep it. But others are lurking; give him 23 saves.
Next in line: Brian Fuentes has experience, but the skills have eroded some. Good for the A's for choosing Balfour.
Sleeper: Watch hard-throwing Joey Devine get chances come August. And watch Fautino De Los Santos, though he needs better control.

sea.gif
Save leader: Brandon League is safe for a repeat of 37 saves.
Next in line: Tom Wilhelmsen, Shawn Kelley and Chance Ruffin are still fighting it out.
Sleeper: I think Ruffin has a shot for 2013. The Mariners should trade League while his value is high -- ya know, like the Royals failed to do with Joakim Soria.

tex.gif
Save leader: Joe Nathan will have a fairly good season, but he'll need a DL stint at some point. So let's say only 29 saves for him.
Next in line: Mike Adams will be one of the top five middle relievers in fantasy, and will also save seven games.
Sleeper: Koji Uehara is still here, but if Neftali Feliz can't stay healthy, then he goes back to the bullpen and into the long-term picture.

atl.gif
Save leader: Craig Kimbrel will be awesome again, though not as awesome. He'll save 40 games. Arm problems coming in 2014, unfortunately.
Next in line: Jonny Venters develops his arm issues sooner. I wouldn't draft him expecting those 2011 numbers.
Sleeper: Kris Medlen is healthy and ready to contribute, and ESPN colleague Tristan H. Cockcroft just loves him.

mia.gif
Save leader: Even though Heath Bell will regress, I don't think he loses the job. He saves 35 games.
Next in line: It should be Steve Cishek or Ryan Webb. For now, the former Leo Nunez (Juan Carlos Oviedo) isn't an option.
Sleeper: Why not Mike Dunn? Or Jose Ceda, who saved 24 games with good stats at Triple-A last year and is having a nice spring.

nym.gif
Save leader: It won't be pretty, but Frank Francisco will edge out Ramon Ramirez for saves, 22 to 17. One of them will have two DL stints, and it's not Ramirez.
Next in line: Yeah, I'll take Ramirez over Jon Rauch here, though.
Sleeper: Man, remember when Bobby Parnell was the guy? Watch him dominate at Triple-A and get a chance in July.

phi.gif
Save leader: No worries about Jonathan Papelbon. He saves 44 games.
Next in line: Antonio Bastardo scares me. When Jose Contreras is healthy, he's next, but watch retread Chad Qualls get 20 holds.
Sleeper: Papelbon doesn't get hurt, but it's worth noting that Charlie Manuel does like Contreras.

was.gif
Save leader: Drew Storen is safe for 40-plus saves again.
Next in line: Tyler Clippard is safe for 30-plus holds again.
Sleeper: It's possible nobody throws harder on a more consistent basis than Henry Rodriguez. But he walks people. Still, remember the name, and forget the name Brad Lidge.

chc.gif
Save leader: I'd expect Carlos Marmol to be in trade rumors, and he should still get saves, but 2011 was ugly. Let's give him a shaky 26 saves.
Next in line: Marmol is lucky there's nothing else. Andrew Cashner is gone. Jeff Samardzija is starting. Kerry Wood is 53 years old. Wood is next, though.
Sleeper: Spend a buck in NL-only leagues on Rafael Dolis. Terrible walk to strikeout rate in the minors, but he saved 17 games at Double-A.

cin.gif
Save leader: Ryan Madson saves 38 games.
Next in line: Sean Marshall will pile on the holds.
Sleeper: Will we ever again be able to call Aroldis Chapman a sleeper? Probably not. Don't bother with him in 2012, because Jose Arredondo has just as good a shot at getting saves.

hou.gif
Save leader: For the record, Mark Melancon saved 20 games in 2011. Brett Myers is older and is also trade bait. He saves only 14 games.
Next in line: Name your ordinary reliever: Brandon Lyon, Wilton Lopez ... I think David Carpenter should be most peeved about Myers' leaving the rotation. He was a sleeper for me. Still is. I can see some saves here.
Sleeper: Juan Abreu strikes people out. That should be enough, frankly.

mil.gif
Save leader: John Axford saves 44 games.
Next in line: Francisco Rodriguez, team player, gets many holds. In fact, he could lead the league in them.
Sleeper: Michael Fiers isn't really a prospect, and he doesn't throw hard, but if he's not starting, he should be in the bullpen.

pit.gif
Save leader: Look, Joel Hanrahan is awesome, but the Pirates should trade him before his arm falls off (see Soria, Joakim). That's reality for a 90-loss team. But they won't. He saves 37.
Next in line: Evan Meek and the uninspiring Jason Grilli are here.
Sleeper: Stetson Allie is at least two years away. I guess Chris Resop is a reasonable sleeper. Yawn.

stl.gif
Save leader: Jason Motte could have had 35 saves last year. Thanks, Tony. This year he gets them.
Next in line: Nothing wrong with Fernando Salas, but Eduardo Sanchez should be better long-term.
Sleeper: Maikel Cleto doesn't know where the baseball is going, but it's going fast. I suppose Kyle McClellan has earned sleeper status.

ari.gif
Save leader: J.J. Putz stayed healthy! I say he does it again, for 42 saves.
Next in line: David Hernandez is really good, too. He could finesse his way to double-digit saves again.
Sleeper: Did you know Takashi Saito has never had a final-season ERA over 3.00 in six big league seasons?

col.gif
Save leader: I don't have Rafael Betancourt among my top 10 closers, but I do predict 30 saves for him in 2012.
Next in line: I expect Rex Brothers to get save chances, and take the role for 2013. Let's give him 11 saves this year.
Sleeper: Watch out for Zach Putnam, a right-hander (Brothers is a southpaw) who saw save chances in Cleveland's system.

lad.gif
Save leader: Since everyone seems to think it will be Kenley Jansen, I predict Javy Guerra gets 26 saves.
Next in line: My concern with Jansen is the same as with other hard throwers: his health. But expect good K numbers and 13 saves. Matt Guerrier looms as well, but not for big-time saves.
Sleeper: Josh Lindblom closed in Double-A, and he's legit, too.

sdg.gif
Save leader: Very interesting situation here, because I'm down on Huston Street. Padres shouldn't have dealt for him! They have closers lurking here! He'll serve a DL stint in May and have 18 saves by the time he's dealt to Boston as Bailey insurance in late July. Street finishes with 24 saves.
Next in line: This is important, too. I think Andrew Cashner blossoms in relief and saves 16 games, pushing aside Luke Gregerson, but certainly Brad Brach produced major numbers in the minors. I say Brach saves five games.
Sleeper: We'll be talking a lot about Brad Boxberger, who was picked up from the Reds in the Mat Latos deal, over the next year.
sfo.gif
Save leader: Sergio Romo is better, but Brian Wilson beards his way to 42 saves.
Next in line: Romo and Santiago Casilla can trade off dreaming about saves.
Sleeper: It's not unreasonable to expect future closer Heath Hembree to reach the big club this season, and he could vault over Romo/Casilla for saves

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
100 facts to know for 2012

By Matthew Berry | ESPN.com

Just because it's a cliché doesn't make it any less appropriate.
The glass is half-full.

The glass is also half-empty.

That expression is often used to determine whether a person is an optimist or a pessimist, but it's also a way to present data, right? If I ask you to describe the glass, you can choose the positive way … or the negative way. It's all about you and the feelings you project on the glass. Now lie back; we have 54 more minutes. Tell me about your childhood.
While you do, I want you to think about where you would draft a specific baseball player for 2012. Lemme describe him:
Despite an increase in at-bats and games played for this player in 2011, he had his lowest home run total in the past five years, his second-lowest RBI total in the past eight years and even had fewer stolen bases than he had in either of the previous two seasons. It's not all bad news, as he did increase his batting average last season. That said, he did so with his highest batting average on balls in play (BABIP) in five seasons (and one that is much higher than his career mark), so you could argue his batting average is likely unsustainable.
This slugger also had his highest ground ball percentage in six seasons, so maybe it's not surprising that he grounded into the most double plays in his career. As if that's not enough to raise a red flag, we're not even halfway through spring training, and he's already dealing with an injury. We always advise you to jump off the bandwagon a year early rather than a year late, and you have to wonder if his team is thinking the same thing about this nine-year veteran. It signed a free agent in the offseason who is going to start at this player's position, leaving our guy without a natural defensive position.
So whatever you do, make sure you avoid Miguel Cabrera.
Um, yeah.

Everything I wrote about Cabrera above is 100 percent true. It is also, by design, entirely misleading.
Cabrera is my No. 1-ranked player for 2012 and as close as you can get to a sure thing. It helps that he'll almost certainly add third-base eligibility for this year and next.
I love manipulating stats. I love it because I love my job. And for me and anyone who provides analysis for a living, that's what we do: We manipulate stats.
Oh, most people don't want to admit that. Most people offering fantasy advice or waxing philosophic on politics, celebrities, news or anything else will deny it, but it's true. We all manipulate stats. I do it in every single article I write, all the podcasts I do, every single TV or radio appearance.
Now, I never manipulate them to the extent I showed in the Cabrera example above, but the reason we all do it is because we have to.
I've written about this before, but it bears repeating. There are two reasons for the manipulation. The first (and most simple) is, frankly, time. As in, we don't have enough of it. When I am on "SportsCenter," I get between 45 seconds to a minute to tell you something. I can't possibly give you a complete picture of a player in 45 seconds, let alone multiple players, which is what I'm usually tasked with. Even on the podcast or in a column -- even a crazy long one -- I have only a finite amount of time/space to work with. I can't speak/type/gesticulate wildly all day any more than you can listen/read/tolerate me. Ultimately, this is a hobby, and if you're not at least slightly entertained, you're going elsewhere.
But even if I both had all the time in the world to completely break down every facet of every single player and you had to the time to absorb it all, it still wouldn't matter. Because here's the second thing: It's impossible -- and I mean impossible -- to get a complete statistical overview of a player.
From the basic stuff like ERA and home runs to more advanced things such as GB/FB (ground ball-to-fly ball ratio), K/9 (strikeouts per nine innings), plate appearances/strikeouts and BABIP to really hard-core things such as XBT% (extra bases taken percentage), O-Swing% (percentage of pitches outside the strike zone a guy swings at) and wRAA (runs above average based on weighted on-base average).
There are hundreds of those stats, and they all have some form of insight as to how a player has performed and, by extrapolation and interpretation, might perform in the future.
And that's before you get into things such as park factors, where the player is hitting in his lineup, his teammates, the manager's approach, how someone is scoring the game (we've all seen the obvious error scored as a hit for the hometown hero, or vice versa for an away player), weather and, of course, opportunity and playing time.
So it's a lot of information, and some of it (such as how a play is scored or the weather) is nearly impossible to predict or truly quantify.

On top of that, to project based on past performance assumes (that's a dangerous word in fantasy) that the player is 100 percent healthy -- many hide or are unaware of nagging injuries -- is taking the exact same approach as before (ie. no adjustments to batting stance or trying a new pitch, gripping the ball slightly differently, trying to hit more line drives than home runs, etc.) and that there isn't some off-the-field issue we're unaware of, such as the player going through a divorce, has a substance-abuse problem or is about to be in a scandal for texting pictures of himself to a game-day hostess. Plus, as I tried to drive home in this year's Draft Day Manifesto, even if you knew the stats in advance, winning in fantasy has a lot more to do with how you put those stats together than any one projection in a vacuum.
So in an attempt to make sense of the chaos and force ourselves to make a decision on a player, we must make choices. I study the stats, do the research and talk to as many folks as I can (including our crack ESPN Stats and Information staff, especially Justin Havens and Mark Simon, who helped with this article, along with my friend Paul Sporer, whom you should follow on Twitter at "@sporer"), and then I choose which stats I want to show/discuss/butcher.
If I like the guy, I tell you positive stats. If I don't like the guy, I highlight the negative. Just like I showed in the Cabrera example, I can talk up or talk down anyone; I just have to choose the right stats for the job.
We all do that. Every single time. Never forget that. No stat exists by itself.
So your job is to decide whom to trust, whom not to, find out whom you agree with and whom you think is a moron. Take it all in and make your own call, because you're the one who has to live with it.

Everything that follows is absolutely true. They all are facts. There are 100 of them below. Some are about baseball players and teams. Some are about me. And not one of them tells the whole story.
100 Facts you need to know before you draft

1. Over the past three years, of all the players who finished in the top 10 on our Player Rater yet were drafted outside the top 40 (i.e., the players who greatly outperformed their draft slots), 73 percent of them were veterans coming off down seasons.
2. Since 1999, Paul Konerko has averaged 147 games played and 30 homers per season.
3. Konerko is one of two players in all of baseball to hit .300 with 30 home runs and 100 RBIs in each of the past two years.
4. The other? Miguel Cabrera.
5. Meanwhile, Mark Teixeira's last .300-30-100 season was back in 2008.
6. Teixeira has an average draft position (ADP) of 24th overall.
7. That's almost two full rounds before Konerko (current ADP: 42nd).
8. Last year, Player A had the following line:

<table><thead><tr><th> AB </th><th> R </th><th> HR </th><th> RBI </th><th> BB/K </th><th> AVG </th><th> OBP </th><th> SLG </th><th> OPS </th><th> HR/FB </th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td> 464 </td><td> 63 </td><td> 19 </td><td> 82 </td><td> 0.56 </td><td> .295 </td><td> .389 </td><td> .506 </td><td> .895 </td><td> 13.8% </td></tr></tbody></table>

9. Last year, Player B had the following line:

<table><thead><tr><th> AB </th><th> R </th><th> HR </th><th> RBI </th><th> BB/K </th><th> AVG </th><th> OBP </th><th> SLG </th><th> OPS </th><th> HR/FB </th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="last"><td> 466 </td><td> 51 </td><td> 24 </td><td> 71 </td><td> 0.64 </td><td> .270 </td><td> .351 </td><td> .466 </td><td> .817 </td><td> 13.6% </td></tr></tbody></table>

10. Player A is Alex Avila. He is currently being selected, on average, in the 13th round of ESPN live drafts.
11. Player B is Brian McCann. He is currently being selected, on average, in the seventh round of ESPN live drafts.
12. I have tremendous guilt about my dog. With my newborn twins around, my dog, Macy, who is 13 years old, can't be inside as much as before, so she doesn't get nearly as much attention as she used to. She has never really liked other dogs; what she really needs and craves is human attention. I don't know what to do.
13. Part of me feels like I should give her up for adoption, because that might lead to a better life for her. But another part of me loves her too much to do that. She has been with me through a lot -- a cross-country move, a divorce, a new marriage -- and as the current Mrs. Roto and I joined families, she really was all I brought to the party. I'm concerned that what's best for my dog isn't best for me. But then, who gives away their dog after 13 years? Is it a jerk move to give her away? Is it a jerk move to keep her if she could have a better life with someone who could give her more attention? I think about this a lot.
14. Last season, Howard Kendrick had 197 plate appearances as the No. 2 hitter for the Angels, his most common lineup slot.

15. Last year, Bobby Abreu, Torii Hunter and Maicer Izturis had a combined 138 games in the Angels' No. 3 lineup slot.
16. This offseason, the Angels signed Albert Pujols.
17. Kendrick is a career .292 hitter, and he scored 86 runs last year.
18. Last season, only four players in baseball hit .295 or better and had at least 25 home runs, 20 stolen bases, 90 runs scored and 90 RBIs. They are: Matt Kemp, Ryan Braun, Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Gonzalez.
19. Only one player in baseball has achieved those marks for two straight seasons: Carlos Gonzalez
20. Kemp, Braun and Ellsbury are all being drafted among the first eight picks overall.
21. CarGo is being drafted at the end of the second round.
22. Oh yeah, and CarGo is just 26 years old.
23. On the Fantasy Focus podcast, we have a sound effect that we play sometimes called "comedy goalie." We play it whenever a joke or comment one of us makes (almost always one of mine) needs to be edited out for whatever reason. It's a phrase I picked up from my old sitcom-writing days, because on this one show I wrote for we had one writer who never pitched jokes of her own. But anytime someone else would pitch a joke, she'd say, "That's not funny." Or, "That's hacky. I heard that on 'Friends.'" Or just something negative. We started calling her the "comedy goalie" behind her back. "No comedy is getting in here! I'm blocking everything."
24. Why did I bring this up here, randomly, on Nos. 23 and 24? Oh, no reason. No reason at all.

25. Last year, including the postseason, Justin Verlander threw 4,301 pitches.
26. In fact, Verlander's 4,301 pitches were the most thrown in a regular season and postseason since 2002.
27. It's also 557 pitches more than he threw in 2010.
28. xFip (Expected Fielding Independent Pitching) is considered a good indicator for future performance.
29. Last season, Zack Greinke's xFIP was 2.56, best in baseball.
30. Madison Bumgarner's xFIP was 3.10, seventh-best in baseball …
31. … one spot ahead of Verlander's xFIP rank.
32. And tied for 12th with an xFIP of 3.25? Anibal Sanchez.
33. One last xFIP note: Jonathon Niese had a fine 3.28 xFIP last year.
34. Back to Bumgarner: He has 15 K's and just one walk in 14 2/3 spring training innings (through March 21).
35. As long as we are talking spring stats, Francisco Liriano has 18 K's and two walks in 13 innings.
36. Two other K/BB notes for you AL- or NL-only owners: Wade LeBlanc has 15 K's and two walks in 14 2/3 innings, and Brian Matusz has 16 K's and one walk in 15 innings.
37. I have become obsessed with the show "Storage Wars." Michelle Beadle and I discussed this on her podcast last week. Where did Barry get his money? What's the story with Jarrod and Brandi? Who is Dave fooling? Is it real? How many lockers do they shoot to get the three decent ones they need for an episode? What's with all the other people that show up at these auctions? So many questions. I could watch that show all day. Correction: I do watch that show all day.
38. In the past two years, as a starter, C.J. Wilson's home numbers look like this: 216 2/3 IP, 189 K, 76 BB, 3.70 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 7.9 K/9 rate, 16 home runs allowed.
39. On the road? Try this: 211 IP, 187 K, 91 BB, 2.56 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 8.0 K/9, 10 home runs allowed.
40. As Todd Zola notes in his players changing teams (Insider) article, Rangers Ballpark in Arlington inflates run-scoring by 19 percent. And Wilson's new home park, Angels Stadium: It depresses runs by 9 percent.
41. James McDonald's first four starts in 2011: 19 IP, 10.13 ERA, 1.95 WHIP, 5.7 K/9, 5.7 BB/9.
42. McDonald's last 27 starts: 152 IP, 3.49 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 7.7 K/9, 3.9 BB/9. That's useful in NL-only leagues.
43. On June 26, 2011, Cory Luebke joined the San Diego Padres' starting rotation.
44. From that point on, Luebke had a 3.31 ERA, a 1.09 WHIP and was 12th in the majors with 111 strikeouts over that time frame.
45. In 2011, Chris Heisey hit a home run every 15.5 at-bats.
46. As a comparison, Pujols hit one every 15.6 at-bats.
47. Heisey has a chance at being the Cincinnati Reds' everyday left fielder.
48. More fun with AB/HR ratios: Allen Craig homered every 18.2 at-bats last season.
49. And David Ortiz hit one every 18.1 at-bats.
50. I like to work at night, and sometimes it's easier to work late at the office. For instance, I am writing this sentence at 1:21 a.m. The lights in my building are on timers. So even if I'm at my desk working, the lights turn off all around me every 20 minutes or so. I have to get up from my desk and walk around, waving my arms, to get the sensors to pick me up. I feel like an idiot doing it, and I'm sure I look like an idiot doing it.
51. Here's another blind resume: Player A hit .311, with 106 runs, 29 homers, 112 RBIs and 22 steals in 159 games played.
52. Player B: .284, 78 runs, 18 HRs, 79 RBIs, 20 SBs, 134 games played.
53. Player A's line shows David Wright's averages from 2005 to 2008.
54. Player B's line shows Wright's averages from 2009 to 2011.
55. Last season, Jeff Francoeur had a .285 average, 77 runs, 20 homers, 87 RBIs and 22 steals.
56. There's position scarcity and track record to consider, of course, for both guys, and I'm not saying they're the same player … but Wright is being selected, on average, in the fourth round of ESPN live drafts, while Francoeur is going in the 18th round.
57. Over the past five seasons (2007-11), only four shortstop-eligible players have had a season in which they posted a .290-plus batting average and 40-plus steals.
58. They are: Jose Reyes in 2008, Hanley Ramirez in 2007, Jimmy Rollins in 2007 and … Emilio Bonifacio in 2011.
59. Over the past three years, Andrew Bailey's WHIP is 0.95.
60. Only Mike Adams, Mariano Rivera and Neftali Feliz have posted lower WHIPs (minimum 150 innings pitched).
61. Over the past three seasons, Bailey has a 2.07 ERA, 0.95 WHIP and 174 strikeouts in 174 innings and is 75-o- 84 in save chances (89.3 percent conversion rate).
62. Over the past three seasons, Jonathan Papelbon has a 2.89 ERA, a 1.12 WHIP and 239 strikeouts in 199 1/3 innings and is 106-of-120 in save chances (88.3 percent).
63. Papelbon is going seven rounds before Bailey in ESPN live drafts.
64. In 2011, CC Sabathia and Felix Hernandez each had 22 quality starts.
65. That's the same number as … R.A. Dickey.
66. I know it's the most clichéd thing in the universe, but I can't tell you how much my outlook on everything has changed now that I have kids. I mean everything. It's indescribable.
67. Peter Bourjos's pre-All-Star break numbers in 2011: 33 runs, 3 HRs, 17 RBIs, 11 SBs and a .272 average in 287 at-bats.
68. Bourjos after the 2011 All-Star break: 39 runs, 9 HRs, 26 RBIs, 11 SBs and a .270 average in 215 at-bats.
69. Despite getting only 301 major league at-bats as a rookie in 2011, Lucas Duda had 17 extra-base hits on two-strike counts, tied for most on the team.
70. Prince Fielder hit 24 home runs at Miller Park last season.
71. Nine of those home runs would not have been home runs at his new home, Comerica Park.
72. No one hit more home runs last year after the All-Star break than Dan Uggla.
73. He also hit .296 over that time frame.
74. Speaking of second-half power, Uggla, Ellsbury, Evan Longoria, Pujols and Ian Kinsler were the only players to hit more home runs after the All-Star break than Josh Willingham, who had 18 home runs and 54 RBIs in 243 post-ASB at-bats.
75. One more second-half list: Kemp, Kinsler, Curtis Granderson, Ellsbury and Braun were the only players to score more runs after the All-Star break than Dexter Fowler.
76. Fowler also had 10 steals and hit .288 in 271 post-ASB at-bats.
77. I recently spoke at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. Had a total blast. Awesome event. Was really nervous before it, and I don't usually get nervous these days. But it was all about analytics, and while I know my way around a stat book, Bill James I am not. I've never hung my hat on being the "statiest" guy around. Rather, I'm the guy who makes up words like "statiest." But it turned out great. I was well-received, I met tons of amazing people and I can't wait to go next year. The lesson, as always, is nothing productive comes from fear.
78. Speaking of that conference, I met a super smart kid named Mike Attanasio. We discussed Aramis Ramirez, who is on my "hate" list for 2012. We talked about his home/road splits, his age, his six home runs at Wrigley last year that wouldn't have left Miller Park, etc. Well, when signing with the Brewers this past offseason, Ramirez stated that he was looking forward to playing in Miller Park's temperature-controlled environment. So Mike looked at Aramis' stats by temperature and sent me a whole study. Below is a snippet of his report:
79. When playing in 30-to-50 degree weather in 2011, Ramirez posted these numbers: .240 AVG, .333 OBP, .360 SLG, 1 HR and 2 RBIs in 57 plate appearances.
80. Ramirez in 60-70 degrees in 2011: .309 AVG, .373 OBP, .436 SLG, 4 HRs, 23 RBIs in 126 plate appearances. According to Mike's calculations, 44 of Ramirez's first 51 games this season will be in weather that is likely to be 60 degrees or above, perhaps helping him avoid a slow start.
81. I still don't like Ramirez where he's being drafted, but it's interesting, no?
82. In 2011, there were only 13 pitchers who threw enough innings to qualify for the ERA title, struck out fewer than six batters per nine innings and had a K/BB ratio worse than 2-to-1.
83. Of those 13, the guy with the second-lowest ERA was Paul Maholm at 3.66.
84. And the lowest ERA? Jeremy Hellickson's 2.95.
85. Hellickson's xFIP, however, was 4.72.
86. Over the past three seasons, only one major league team has had more save opportunities than the … San Diego Padres.
87. The top five teams in save opportunities from 2009 to 2011: the Giants (197), Padres and Braves tied (194), Marlins (192) and … the Washington Nationals (191).
88. The Philadelphia Phillies, who have been to the postseason each of the past three seasons (the timeframe I referred to above), are middle of the pack, tied for 14th with 180 save opportunities.
89. Over the last three seasons, with Ozzie Guillen as their manager, the Chicago White Sox attempted 535 steal attempts, fifth-most in the majors over that time frame.
90. Guillen now manages the Miami Marlins.
91. Reyes, Hanley Ramirez and Emilio Bonifacio all play for Miami.
92. The "personal" stats are often more hard to come up with than the player stats. Probably should have thought about that before I agreed to write a book, huh?
93. Michael Morse joined the Nationals' starting lineup on June 10, 2010.
94. From June 10, 2010, to the end of last season, Morse, who qualifies in the outfield and at first base, hit 46 home runs, had 134 RBIs and posted a .297 average over 767 at-bats.
95. From June 10, 2010, to the end of last season, Matt Holliday had 44 home runs, 153 RBIs and a .308 average over 822 at-bats.
96. Holliday is being selected, on average, in the fourth round of ESPN live drafts.
97. That's four rounds ahead of Michael Morse.
98. As of this writing, Ryan Raburn is hitting .462 this spring and leads the majors with six home runs.
99. Last year, the spring training leader in home runs was … Jake Fox of Baltimore, with 10 homers and a .297 average.
100. I actually like Raburn, but come on. It's just one stat!

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Steals sleepers for 2012
in.gif

Eric Karabell

The player who led the champion St. Louis Cardinals in stolen bases a year ago is going to do so again in 2012, making him an interesting sleeper for that fantasy category.

Do you know whom I'm talking about? Not Ryan Theriot, who played 132 games and stole a sad four bases in 10 attempts. Not Rafael Furcal, who is a shell of his former self and barely runs anymore. Not Nick Punto. Not Matt Holliday; he attempted three steals all year. Not Jon Jay, who was caught seven of 13 times. And not Albert Pujols.
This will be the fourth big league season for utility infielder Tyler Greene, and it will be his best. Sure, that's not saying much since the guy has a .218 career batting average in parts of three seasons and I'm not saying Greene is going to become the next Jeff Kent or anything, but the guy has some pop and certainly can run. Last season, Greene stole a team-high 11 bases despite getting barely 100 at-bats (13 Cardinals with more ABs). In fact, Greene has yet to be caught stealing in 16 attempts in the majors, and it's not a fluke.

<offer>What he has yet to earn is an opportunity to play more, but it's coming. Well past prospect status at age 28, Greene has big league stats that look nothing like what he has accomplished in the minors. Perhaps he'll never hit enough to keep a regular job, but I don't assume that based on just three seasons of fill-in work. In 2011, over a mere 66 games for Triple-A Memphis, the righty-hitting Greene swatted 14 home runs and stole 19 bases in 21 attempts. His OPS was 1.001. He totaled 31 home runs and 51 stolen bases in 2008 and '09.</offer>
Getting to repeat seasons as a Memphis Redbird helps and he doesn't draw many walks, so batting average could be a problem. But I wouldn't be shocked if Greene seizes the chance, reaches double digits in home runs and steals 20 bases this year for the Cardinals. You know who seems to agree with me? Cardinals GM John Mozeliak.
"One of the things myself, Mike [Matheny] and the major league staff thought was intriguing was giving Tyler Greene an opportunity to take this position," Mozeliak told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "His athleticism and what he brings to the table as far as speed and power … it's a unique skill set. [That] set is something that traditionally we haven't had in our lineup."
While spring numbers aren't to be trusted, it is telling that Greene leads the team in at-bats. The Cardinals seem to want him playing so they can get a good look at him. Skip Schumaker is hurt, and Daniel Descalso is pretty uninspiring. Greene has five extra-base hits, one of them a home run, and four stolen bases in five attempts. He might even project as a top-of-the-lineup option thanks to his speed. I wanted Greene in my LABR NL auction a few weeks ago, but when the bidding hit $5 -- that's a lot in an NL-only format for a player who wasn't guaranteed playing time -- I had to drop out. I now wish I had kept going.
I wouldn't draft Greene in a 10-team mixed standard league, but watch him in deeper formats or if you're desperate for stolen bases. Below is a list of 20 other players not among the top 260 in ESPN average live drafts and owned in fewer than 5 percent of leagues who are capable of stealing 20-plus bases:
Outfielders

Rajai Davis, Toronto Blue Jays: Both Travis Snider and Eric Thames have hit well this spring, but Davis will make the team. He has averaged 42 steals (in only 121 games) over the past three seasons.
Alex Presley, Pittsburgh Pirates: Unlike Davis, Presley likely will start. He doesn't have quite as much speed, but he did steal 22 bases in 87 Triple-A games in 2011.
Will Venable, San Diego Padres: Not really a sleeper anymore, but he has 55 steals over the past two seasons and is line for plenty of playing time.
Eric Young Jr., Colorado Rockies: Yes, he's on this list seemingly every year. He's the NL version of Davis, not really a good player but very fast and not needing a ton of at-bats to steal 20 bases. Note that he does not have second-base eligibility in most league setups.
Jason Bourgeois, Kansas City Royals: Also outfield only, but I don't think Lorenzo Cain is going to flop, so don't look for Bourgeois to play a lot.
Juan Pierre, Philadelphia Phillies: Will likely play more than he should, and that means chances to run.
Andres Torres, New York Mets: Terrific bounce-back option. He's leading off, and the Mets will run plenty.
Carlos Gomez, Milwaukee Brewers: Speaking of the Mets, remember when Gomez was going to be a star? Now he's waiting for Nyjer Morgan to fail, which is quite possible.
Jordan Schafer, Houston Astros: Well, he's going to play. I actually like him more than most. Seems to me he has been a bit unlucky health-wise, but he can run a bit.
Craig Gentry, Texas Rangers: He can run a lot, Leonys Martin isn't ready, and Julio Borbon isn't anything special. Gentry was a perfect 18-for-18 in steals last year in 133 big league at-bats.
Jose Constanza, Atlanta Braves: He's fast and a potential beneficiary when Chipper Jones sits and Martin Prado moves to third base.
Endy Chavez, Baltimore Orioles: It seems ridiculous, but it appears he'll be Buck Showalter's leadoff hitter. Perhaps we should leave it at that.
Collin Cowgill, Oakland Athletics: Monster numbers at Triple-A Reno last season, though you can disregard his .354 batting average. The speed is legit, however, and he has a brighter future than Coco Crisp.Gregor Blanco, San Francisco Giants: He's leading everyone with nine stolen bases this spring and is coming off an MVP season in the Venezuelan winter league. It likely will result in a roster spot, and if/when Angel Pagan gets hurt …

Infielders

Eduardo Nunez, New York Yankees: The heir apparent to Derek Jeter stole 22 bases in limited work last season. Don't be surprised to see more DH work for Jeter and Alex Rodriguez.
Alexi Casilla, Minnesota Twins: Has the second-base job and the ability to swipe a base per week. He might even hit second in the lineup.
Tyler Pastornicky, Braves: He'll likely beat out raw Andrelton Simmons for the shortstop job and steal 20 bases. Won't help you much elsewhere, though.
Freddy Galvis, Phillies: The backup to Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins stole 23 bases in the minors last season, and unfortunately, he's likely to play a lot. I guess it's good for Freddy.
Chase d'Arnaud, Pirates: Stole 12 bases in 48 games for the big club, and let's just say Clint Barmes isn't the most durable fellow.
Billy Hamilton, Cincinnati Reds: This is the guy who stole 103 bases in the minors last year. He's not ready offensively or defensively for the bigs, but if Zack Cozart isn't either, Hamilton could be on the fast track.Finally, here's a reminder that Mike Trout and Bryce Harper, while starting their respective seasons in the minors, do run. Trout should run a lot. Harper is fast enough to steal 20 bases as well if given enough playing time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeucon22081990
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com