MLB Fantasy News 2011

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
You gotta have faith

Matthew Berry

This past Monday night in San Francisco was a great night for you. Not that we've ever met, but if you're reading this column you play fantasy sports, and if you play fantasy sports you appreciated Monday night, even if you don't realize it yet.

I was in the Bay Area, along with many of my colleagues, for the Fantasy Sports Trade Association's annual summer conference.

I know. The idea of a fantasy sports conference sounds kind of nerdy and silly, and I'm not gonna lie: It's not the coolest gathering in the world. And it gets sillier- and nerdier-sounding when I tell you the conference kicked off with a Hall of Fame induction ceremony. But while you may scoff and make fun, it's really important to a lot of people who take fantasy sports seriously, and if they hadn't cared so much and worked so hard for many, many years, all of us would be playing a different game with different tools, and there wouldn't be nearly as many of us -- including maybe you -- who get to take so much joy from our hobby.

So we gathered Monday night to honor three people that most of you have never, ever heard of but without whose contributions, fantasy sports wouldn't be what they are today.

Wilfred "Wink" Wickenbach was inducted posthumously by his grandson. Wink, as his grandson noted he was known to his friends, was a limited partner of the Oakland Raiders. And in 1962, with the help of some friends, he created a game in which you drafted professional football players to imaginary teams and got points for those performances. The GOPPPL (Greater Oakland Professional Pigskin Procrastinators League) was essentially the first league to play what we now know as fantasy football.

I never met Wink, but the other two who were inducted that night are dear friends of mine. Rick Wolf, currently a muckety-muck executive at NBC Sports, started his fantasy career at Prodigy (1987-95), where he was on the development team for Baseball Manager and the PRODIGY Network Golf Tour, two of the first online fantasy games. He has since worked for several other fantasy companies and also worked long and hard for the industry as a member of the FSTA, including serving as chairman during some of the toughest times the industry has faced.

And I was honored to be asked by Peter Schoenke of Rotowire.com to introduce him. Among the remarks I made about Peter that night were that, when he founded RotoNews in 1997 (with Jeff Erickson and Herb Ilk), he created the "What happened and what it means" news and analysis blurb for fantasy player news. Peter has also been a FSTA board member since 2000, and as the chair of the market research committee from 2001-10, he got the word out about just how popular our little game was: 32 million players strong in the United States and Canada, according to the organization.

On a personal note, both Rick and Peter are very important to me. Rick was one of my first bosses in the industry, and he was told to fire me multiple times. Rick always fought for me and defended me, long before it was popular to do so. He introduced me to many people in the industry and was a sounding board and adviser many times over the years as I was starting my own websites and trying to figure out how to navigate the sometimes insular, still small but growing fantasy sports industry.

When I wanted to try this idea I had for my own RotoPass.com site, Peter was the first to say "Sure" and agree to have Rotowire in the offering. With no track record as anything other than a writer, having Peter say yes was huge for me in terms of credibility when I presented my idea to other website owners, and as a result, I was set on a path of being able to make a living in fantasy sports. I don't know how my career would have turned out if Peter said no to me, and I certainly don't know how it would have turned out if Rick had given into pressure and not supported me in those early years.

Looking back on it, there was no reason for Rick or Peter to stick their necks out for me. I'm sure I caused more headaches than I solved, and on the business side, I had never run a site before, I had no track record and the idea of joining with a bunch of other competitive websites for RotoPass.com had a lot more risk than potential reward for Peter and his already established and successful site.

There was absolutely no reason to support me, yet they did. It doesn't always happen, but having complete and total blind faith, even when there is no reason to, can get rewarded. I like to think it did for Rick and Peter, and I know that it happens in fantasy baseball. I'm a longtime believer in the "back of the baseball card" theory -- that more often than not, a baseball player will do what he is supposed to do and put up stats similar to what you see him do year after year on the back of his baseball card.

And so, in honor of Rick and Peter, I present my blind faith list. Here's a bunch of baseball players that have really struggled this year and have so far failed to live up to their draft position. You're gonna have to give me some leeway here, and I've got no real statistical evidence to show to suggest they will turn it around.

Look, at some point, you have to just bail on guys and say it's not their year. And I have in some cases. I think the ship has sailed on Justin Morneau, I was down on Mat Latos before the season, my hate for Jason Bay is well-documented, and the wall has been well-acquainted with Derek Jeter for a while now.

But there are some guys out there whom my gut, my heart and my crossed fantasy fingers still believe in. Here are 15 of them.

Shin-Soo Choo, OF, Indians (Currently 201st on the Player Rater): Hey, at least he's stealing bases. He's too good a pure hitter to hit .236, and he's definitely getting unlucky. I also refuse to believe the Indians could have a much better year than anyone expects but that the only player who ends up not performing is the guy who was considered their best player at the beginning of the season.

Ted Lilly, SP, Dodgers (204): He's given up two earned runs or fewer in four straight starts. His ERA pre-All-Star break the last three years? 3.97. Post-All-Star break the last three years? 3.17. Don't worry. It'll get less stat-based and more gut-call-y going forward.

Hanley Ramirez, SS, Marlins (264): He's Hanley Ramirez. The consensus second overall pick in almost every fantasy league draft. You'll have to pry him from my cold, dead fingers before I bail.

Gordon Beckham, 2B, White Sox (303): Hit better than .300 in May and hit well in the second half last year. Wish he ran more, but he's just 24, and at some point Ozzie is gonna curse in a way that reaches Beckham.

Juan Rivera, 1B/OF, Blue Jays (325): As Peter Schoenke's Rotowire pointed out, he's hitting .325 as a first baseman this year, .230 as a DH and .167 as an outfielder. If Rotowire noticed it, can't the Blue Jays? Adam Lind can DH, right? Or can someone just tell Juan Rivera he's playing first base but he's doing it from the bench when Toronto is in the field? Anything? Work with me, people.

Alex Rios, OF, White Sox (443): Fair warning: You're gonna see a few White Sox on this list. He's usually a good source of power and speed, even if the average has been shaky. He's a career .277 hitter -- nothing amazing, but significantly better than the current .210 -- and he's always been streaky, so hey, maybe he's gotten the bad out of the way!

Will Venable, OF, Padres (449): At least he's back in the majors! That's something. Actually, despite spending some time in Triple-A and hitting just .220 this year, he still has 11 steals. And the nice thing about owning him (in just NL-only for now) is that you'll get all his home runs, since he hasn't hit one yet! Sigh. I continue to be tantalized by the power-speed combo and believe he'll hit for an average you can live with, rather than the one he's currently killing you with.

Casey McGehee, 3B, Brewers (451): The guy has been an RBI machine the past few years and continues to hit in the middle of a lineup that is currently top-10 in runs scored in major league baseball. If his manager still has confidence in him, so do I.

Ubaldo Jimenez, SP, Rockies (478): Anyone that has read me the last few years knows I am not rational when it comes to Ubaldo. And hey, he's now gone three straight starts without getting rocked! His K rate (still almost eight per nine) and the fact that he's gotten unlucky with his strand rate keeps hope alive.

John Danks, SP, White Sox (498): Another White Sox! The decline in K/9 is a bit disconcerting, but he's at least still usable as a spot starter, with a 3.10 ERA at home this year (and, ahem, 6.50 on the road). For the record, I'm not comfortable with how much faith I have tied into the White Sox in the second half. And -- gulp -- I'm not done.

Vernon Wells, OF, Angels (508): Look, I hate Vernon Wells. Always have, and when my Angels traded for him, I was not happy. He was on my preseason "hate" list, and I also pointed out his lack of back-to-back 20-home run seasons in my "100 Facts" column. But … he's not this bad. He's not gonna hit below the Mendoza Line, and he will hit for some power. And on the Angels, he can't help but wander into double-digit steals. He's been so bad, even I feel sorry for him, which tells me he's due to bounce back.

James McDonald, SP, Pirates (523): Last nine starts for my preseason sleeper? A 2.84 ERA with a 43-22 strikeout-to-walk rate in 50 2/3 innings. Sure, I'm picking a random slice of the season to make my point, but it's a gut-call column. Its more stats than you deserve.

Adam Dunn, 1B, White Sox (533): I'm not dunn with the White Sox yet! Get it? Sure, that joke is terrible, but it has to get better, just like Dunn, who despite hitting .183 on the year is still on pace for 68 RBIs, which is amazing considering no one is ever on base in Chicago. Look, I'm all in on the White Sox being a lot better than they've been, so what's one more? He seems to be showing signs of life, and I'm hanging tough.

Brandon Morrow, SP, Blue Jays (582): OK, I do actually have some stats to back this one up: a strikeouts-per-9 rate of over 10, a 5.63 ERA and a FIP (per FanGraphs) of 2.55. Yes, he is walking too many (over four per nine) but everything about him screams unlucky. I love Brandon Morrow and I don't care who knows it.

Brian Duensing, SP, Twins (625): More for AL-only, but another pitcher whom I think is much better than his record indicates. He's gotten unlucky, and getting Joe Mauer back helps the pitching staff much more than people realize. Pitchers love throwing to him, and I'm counting on both Duensing's luck reversing and Mauer's return to help him be the pitcher he was last season.

The first man in space, falling in love and my career are among about a billion things that would never happen without first having to close your eyes, ignore conventional wisdom and just hope. Here's to your fantasy team

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Handcuff Craig Kimbrel, Jonny Venters

Tristan H. Cockcroft

To think, three short months ago, questions abounded in the Atlanta Braves' bullpen: Who would replace Billy Wagner, No. 5 all time in saves (422) and fantasy baseball's No. 1 reliever in 2010 per our Player Rater, as the closer?

Not only have the Braves found one answer since then but they've found two.

Remarkable as this stat is, it's true: Two members of the Braves' bullpen reside in the Player Rater top 10 among relief pitchers, Jonny Venters (No. 3) and Craig Kimbrel (No. 9). So, when it became clear this past week that there's once again a "closer controversy" in ATL, understand that it's much more of a positive than the one that bullpen endured in spring training.

TOP 75 RELIEF PITCHERS

Note: Tristan H. Cockcroft's top 75 relief pitchers are ranked for their expected performance from this point forward, not for statistics that have already been accrued.
<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Rnk </CENTER></TH><TH style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom">Player, Team <CENTER></CENTER></TH><TH style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Prev
Rnk </CENTER></TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>1 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Brian Wilson, SF </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>2 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>2 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Mariano Rivera, NYY </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>1 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>3 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Heath Bell, SD </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>3 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>4 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Neftali Feliz, TEX </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>4 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>5 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Carlos Marmol, CHC </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>7 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>6 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Jonathan Papelbon, BOS </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>5 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>7 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Huston Street, COL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>8 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>8 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Chris Perez, CLE </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>9 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>9 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Drew Storen, WAS </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>11 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>10 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">J.J. Putz, ARI </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>10 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>11 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Francisco Rodriguez, NYM </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>12 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>12 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Craig Kimbrel, ATL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>6 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>13 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Joakim Soria, KC </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>25 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>14 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Francisco Cordero, CIN </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>14 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>15 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Jose Valverde, DET </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>15 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>16 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Joel Hanrahan, PIT </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>17 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>17 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Leo Nunez, FLA </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>13 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>18 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">John Axford, MIL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>16 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>19 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Kyle Farnsworth, TB </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>18 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>20 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Jordan Walden, LAA </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>20 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>21 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Jonny Venters, ATL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>28 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>22 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Ryan Madson, PHI </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>22 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>23 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Andrew Bailey, OAK </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>21 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>24 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Brandon League, SEA </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>23 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>25 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Sergio Santos, CHW </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>19 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>26 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Kevin Gregg, BAL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>26 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>27 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Fernando Salas, STL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>24 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>28 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Mark Melancon, HOU </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>29 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>29 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Mike Adams, SD </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>30 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>30 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Matt Capps, MIN </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>27 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>31 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Daniel Bard, BOS </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>32 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>32 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Eduardo Sanchez, STL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>31 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>33 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Jon Rauch, TOR </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>38 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>34 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Tyler Clippard, WAS </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>39 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>35 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Koji Uehara, BAL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>36 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>36 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Frank Francisco, TOR </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>35 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>37 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Sergio Romo, SF </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>42 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>38 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Sean Marshall, CHC </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>40 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>39 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Brad Lidge, PHI </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>37 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>40 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Aaron Crow, KC </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>34 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>41 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">David Hernandez, ARI </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>43 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>42 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Matt Guerrier, LAD </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>33 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>43 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Matt Thornton, CHW </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>45 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>44 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Joe Nathan, MIN </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>46 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>45 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Jonathan Broxton, LAD </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>49 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>46 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Scott Downs, LAA </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>50 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>47 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Luke Gregerson, SD </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>44 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>48 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">David Robertson, NYY </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>51 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>49 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Jose Contreras, PHI </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>47 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>50 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Ernesto Frieri, SD </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>48 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>51 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Grant Balfour, OAK </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>52 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>52 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">David Pauley, SEA </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>55 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>53 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Louis Coleman, KC </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>57 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>54 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Joey Devine, OAK </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>56 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>55 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Chris Sale, CHW </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>58 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>56 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Rafael Betancourt, COL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>63 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>57 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Wilton Lopez, HOU </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>65 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>58 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Brian Fuentes, OAK </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>59 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>59 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Joel Peralta, TB </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>60 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>60 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Hong-Chih Kuo, LAD </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>62 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>61 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Octavio Dotel, TOR </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>61 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>62 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Joaquin Benoit, DET </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>68 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>63 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Matt Belisle, COL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>70 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>64 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Kenley Jansen, LAD </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>75 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>65 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Javy Guerra, LAD </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>NR </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>66 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Darren Oliver, TEX </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>64 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>67 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Steve Cishek, FLA </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>NR </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>68 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Jeff Samardzija, CHC </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>NR </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>69 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Jason Motte, STL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>73 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>70 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Jesse Crain, CHW </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>72 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>71 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Tony Sipp, CLE </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>71 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>72 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Brandon Lyon, HOU </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>41 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>73 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Chad Qualls, SD </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>69 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>74 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Matt Lindstrom, COL </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>67 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>75 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">Fernando Rodney, LAA </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>54 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yes, this is a controversy for which you want a piece of the action.

Kimbrel's "problems" -- the quotes signifying that fantasy owners should hardly find a problem with 18 saves and 49 strikeouts, those ranking fifth and second among relievers -- date back to shaky back-to-back innings in April 29-30 games versus the St. Louis Cardinals. After blowing a save in the first contest, surrendering singles to Yadier Molina and Ryan Theriot and a sacrifice fly to Daniel Descalso, he absorbed the loss in the second, affording a Matt Holliday single and Gerald Laird RBI triple. At the time, questions again emerged about whether the Braves might return to a co-closership between rookie Kimbrel and sophomore Venters, which was manager Fredi Gonzalez's announced plan exiting spring training.

Kimbrel had been mostly stellar in his next 19 appearances, converting 12 of 14 save chances with a 2.95 ERA and 29 K's in 18 1/3 innings, but after he blew his fifth save of the season on June 8, those questions returned.

They all go something like this: How can the Braves, who fancy themselves contenders, continue to use Kimbrel to close over a guy such as Venters, who is the majors' leading reliever in ERA (0.44) and ranks second in WHIP (0.74) and fifth in opponents' batting average (.141)?

It's a fair inquiry because if save chances were always doled out to the most effective pitcher, there's no doubt Venters deserves the ball in the ninth. He's also highly ranked in some other categories of note: He's first among relievers in ground ball rate (80.4 percent), second in swing-and-miss percentage (38.2), third in holds (14, and tied for first in saves-plus-holds with 17) and eighth in well-hit average (.099). Looking at Venters' year-to-date stats, there's little doubt that he has been one of the best relievers -- and arguably the best -- in baseball. He also has a fastball that averages 94.4 mph and a filthy slider that, since the beginning of 2010, has limited opponents to .067/.102/.077 rates and has generated a 67.0 percent swing-and-miss rate, second-best among relievers in that time.

At the same time, Kimbrel possesses filthy stuff of his own: a fastball that averages 95.7 mph and a slider that has held opposing hitters to .154/.195/.179 rates. Like Venters, Kimbrel misses a slew of bats -- his 34.7 percent overall swing-and-miss rate ranking seventh among relievers -- and he's the one most scouts projected as the Braves' long-term answer at closer.

He's also the one the Braves appear more comfortable using in one-inning, full-inning situations -- which is what a modern closer tends to be -- as opposed to deploying at any moment, even in critical men-on-base spots. To that end, Kimbrel has, in his 55 career appearances, entered a game with men on only three times; he has entered in a no-out, none-on situation every other time. Venters, meanwhile, has entered with men on base in 23 of his 116 career appearances, 16 of those with men already in scoring position and, on five other occasions, mid-inning (meaning one or two outs). That could explain why Gonzalez was so bold as to throw a rookie into the fire initially despite his plan for a co-closership.

That co-closership appears to be the current arrangement, providing a healthy, open competition for the role looking forward. As Jason Grey wrote on Monday -- and an opinion with which I agree -- both remain worth owning, and handcuffing them is mandatory at this point.

But if I'm to make a gut call on who will save more games from today forward, I'm sticking with my preseason prediction: It's Venters. Invest in the skills.

The return of Joakim Soria

One week was all he needed.

Joakim Soria, one of fantasy baseball's most valuable closers the past three seasons, was reinstated as Kansas City Royals closer June 7 and, in three appearances in the role since then, has three shutout innings and five strikeouts and is 3-for-3 in save chances.

His abandoning the cutter -- a pitch he threw 53.4 percent of the time before losing his job -- is a significant reason for the turnaround. In six appearances since June 1, Soria has thrown a cutter on only 16 of his 125 pitches (12.8 percent of the time), and only three of his past 63 pitches (4.8 percent) have been cutters. Soria afforded hitters .385/.489/.564 rates through May 30 in the 50 plate appearances that ended with a cutter, and his overuse of the pitch also made his fastball more predictable and his overall command less sharp.

Soria's elevated walk rate -- 3.60 per nine this season, 2.25 in his past six outings -- is still a slight concern, and it's the one thing keeping him outside the top 10. Judging by the adjustments he has made, however, it's once again safe to hop aboard his bandwagon.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Minors: Devin Mesoraco profile, Top 11
in.gif

Jason Grey

Cincinnati Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco's 2010 campaign illustrates why it sometimes pays to be patient with prospects, especially high draft picks. The 15th overall selection in the 2007 draft out of a Pennsylvania high school spent the first three seasons of his pro career failing to post even a .400 slugging percentage. However, things changed quickly last year.

Mesoraco, who turns 23 this weekend, posted a breakout season across three levels last year, putting up a .322 AVG/.377 OBP/.587 SLG stat line, and has carried over that offensive surge to 2011. He's hitting .329 with a .406 on-base percentage, 21 doubles and eight homers in 57 games at Triple-A Louisville. His .552 slugging percentage is good for second in the International League.
So what happened? Besides the fact I think we need to be patient with the development of catchers, better health was a key factor. Mesoraco spent his first three seasons dealing with multiple injuries to both thumbs, as well as an issue with his left wrist. Mesoraco told me this spring he also got a little more serious about his workouts and preparation, and adjusted mentally, as well.
"I think it was just my approach to every game. I wasn't getting so concerned over a single good at-bat or single bad at-bat. It was more just staying focused on the big picture," Mesoraco said. "In the past I put a lot of pressure on myself because I obviously expected a lot, and the results weren't quite there. At the end of 2009 I started to feel pretty comfortable with where I was at, and I started to gain some confidence. [In 2010], I knew it was about time to put up [some numbers]. I think I did a better job of not going after the 'pitcher's pitch' as much."

Obviously, mental adjustments can have benefits, and more confidence led to more aggressive swings, but Mesoraco's injury problems didn't allow him to show the same bat speed that helped get him drafted so high. As the bat speed returned, so did his ability to make contact yet still hit with authority.
Mesoraco also changed his hand positioning, dropping his hands to give him a better bat path and be more direct to the ball, resulting in him hitting the ball in the air more, which is obviously never a bad thing for a power hitter. It also helped him reduce the uppercut in his swing, allowing him to keep the bat in the hitting zone longer. The stocky right-handed hitter gets good leverage, uses his lower half well and gets good extension, and the changes helped him tap into his raw power better. I expect more of those doubles to turn into homers down the road.
The only thing Mesoraco has to watch regarding his swing now is being a little too anxious and not staying back on the ball. He sometimes gets out on his front foot. "I do get real aggressive to the pitch sometimes," Mesoraco said. "Whenever I'm real aggressive, bad things happen. I do have to watch that. Sometimes I don't know how to fix it, but it's gotten a lot better."
Mesoraco is still a work in progress defensively, despite solid athleticism for the position. I got an extended look at him during the Arizona Fall League, where he was having all sorts of problems just receiving the ball, in addition to throwing. He had 10 passed balls and four errors in just 18 games behind the plate, though he was reportedly battling a finger issue. The defensive numbers have been better this season, with just two errors and four passed balls in 57 games, though he has thrown out just 19 percent of opposing base stealers. Only Jesus Montero has a worse mark among starting catchers at Triple-A.
Mesoraco has the arm strength to post good pop times, but good throwing mechanics and accuracy aren't always there. He's always going to be an offense-first backstop, but I don't think he's in danger of being moved from the position.
Reds manager Dusty Baker was impressed with Mesoraco's bat even in the preseason, hinting even then that the club wouldn't hesitate to call upon Mesoraco if either Ramon Hernandez or Ryan Hanigan got hurt. Barring a trade, that's likely the only scenario that gets Mesoraco playing time this season, as the team is happy with its catcher tandem. However, Hernandez is a pending free agent, likely opening the door for Mesoraco next year.
Mesoraco projects to hit 20-plus homers in the big leagues. Unlike the two catchers who currently have the most homers in the majors, J.P. Arencibia and Miguel Olivo, who hit homers at the expense of batting average and on-base percentage, Mesoraco's solid pitch recognition and ability to make contact gives him a chance to hit for a decent batting average to go with his pop. He is the rookie catcher most likely to make an impact in 2012.

Top 11 for '11

The now-standard caveats: There's a certain throwing-darts-at-the-wall nature to determining a list such as this because there's no telling when a player will actually arrive on the scene. Who will get the summons obviously depends on a variety of factors, such as team needs, injuries and performance.
Thus, for the purpose of this list, I try to balance a prospect's upside with who is likely to get an opportunity in the near future. I look for potential paths to big league playing time, factor in service-time concerns and rank only players who: (1) are still rookie-eligible and (2) are not already in the major leagues. To highlight some different names, I'm also not including players such as Jerry Sands or Julio Teheran, who have already been in the big leagues this year but have been sent back down, nor players like Charlie Blackmon or Mike Moustakas, who have gotten the call in the past week or so.
Please note that this list is for 2011 fantasy value only, not for the long haul, so you won't see names such as Bryce Harper on it. Not yet, anyway. It spotlights players who could help fantasy teams this season, with no regard for 2012 and beyond. Season the list to your particular taste and your fantasy team's needs.
I tweaked my ranking method this week, putting a little more weight on how close a player is to being promoted. It can be difficult to predict when a player is going to get that big league summons, especially since there are so many variables in play. As I alluded to above, it's an inexact science. But those who appeared closest to the majors got a slight bump up this week.

1. Dustin Ackley, 2B, Mariners: Ackley is on his way to the big leagues; he will make his debut Friday. After correcting some mechanical issues that resulted in a slow start to the season, Ackley had a .445 on-base percentage and .605 slugging percentage with Triple-A Tacoma in May, and hasn't slowed down this month (.346 average, .538 slugging percentage in 13 games). For the season (at Triple-A), Ackley has a .303 average with nine homers, six steals and more walks than strikeouts. As far as what to expect from him, a .280 average with a good on-base percentage, doubles power and a handful of steals sounds about right, making him useful at a relatively weak fantasy position.
As I've mentioned in the past, scouts have had concerns about Ackley's ability to remain at second base over the long haul, but that doesn't matter for now, and I think his defense will be acceptable if he hits like he's capable of. For more on Ackley, check out this recent scouting video I put together on him earlier this week.
2. Desmond Jennings, OF, Rays: Jennings is getting on base with regularity at Triple-A (.377 OBP), and has hit nine homers and stolen 12 bases (in 13 attempts). Justin Ruggiano has been hitting for the Rays, which has allowed the team to wait a little longer with Jennings (which is partially necessary because his call-up last year has affected his service-time clock). Jennings had 89 steals combined in the minors in 2009 and 2010, and he has the on-base ability to make good use of that speed in the majors. He could be a category-changer in stolen bases when he arrives, assuming he'll play every day.
3. Brett Lawrie, 3B, Blue Jays: When Lawrie was hit on the hand by a pitch at the end of May, it was not thought to be serious. However, after the swelling went down, it was revealed that he had a non-displaced fracture that will keep him out of the lineup at least another two weeks, so we might not see him until after the All-Star break. It was bad timing because he was expected to be called up within a day or two of the injury occurring. We have to wait a little longer now, but he can still do plenty of damage in two and a half months. He would have ranked No. 2 on this list if not for the injury. (Note: He initially will be eligible only at second base in ESPN standard leagues when he arrives.)
4. Kyle Gibson, SP, Twins: The next opening in the Twins' rotation could go to Gibson. The 2009 first-rounder has fanned 74 batters and walked just 17 in 71 1/3 innings in 12 Triple-A starts this season, with a nice ground-ball profile to go with it.
5. Trayvon Robinson, OF, Dodgers: Will Robinson be the next player in the Dodgers' youth movement to get the call? He's hitting .306 with 14 homers and seven steals at Triple-A. Scouts felt he was pressing a bit in May when he thought he was on the verge of a call-up, but he has been on a tear in June. He's likely in the club's plans for the second half.
6. Paul Goldschmidt, 1B, Diamondbacks: A month ago, it was looking more like a late August/September timeframe for a Goldschmidt call-up, at best, especially since Juan Miranda was heating up at the plate. However, with Goldschmidt continuing to rake, D-backs general manager Kevin Towers said this recently to the Arizona Republic in reference to both Goldschmidt and Collin Cowgill (more on him below): "Leading up to the All-Star Game, that's when we'd probably have to decide to make moves. I think we're always looking for ways to improve the club, and the first place we're going to look is internal."
I posted a full scouting report on Goldschmidt back in May, addressing some of the concerns about him despite his phenomenal numbers in the minors.
7. Brett Jackson, OF, Cubs: Jackson has homered twice since he returned to action at Double-A after missing three weeks because of a finger injury. Cubs VP of player personnel Oneri Fleita recently told ESPN Chicago that Jackson could be ready for the bigs soon: "The beauty of Brett Jackson is he always had a good eye," Fleita said. "He takes his walks. He's always going to throw to the right base. He has a good foundation that will allow him to have success. If the opportunity comes up [for a promotion], why not?" Jackson has posted a .391 on-base percentage, a .465 slugging percentage and has stolen 13 bases in 44 games with Double-A Tennessee.
8. Collin Cowgill, OF, Diamondbacks: Cowgill, who has drawn Cody Ross comparisons from multiple scouts, has seemingly come out of nowhere to provide video-game numbers in a great batting environment at Triple-A Reno. If the club wanted more offense from its left fielder -- though starter Gerardo Parra has provided stellar defense -- Cowgill could be an option, even though he might not profile as a regular long-term. Cowgill has hit .369 with 12 homers and 20 steals this season, but just to provide context, his 1.047 OPS and .608 slugging percentage for the season are still just the 10th and 11th highest marks, respectively, posted in the PCL.
(Also, you might be wondering about former Diamondback Brandon Allen. Well, some folks in the organization have said privately that they are concerned he has too many holes in his swing. Another option if the club wants to look internally is old friend Wily Mo Pena, whose .739 slugging percentage leads the PCL, on the strength of his 21 homers and .356 batting average.)
9. Jason Kipnis, 2B, Indians: The Indians have stated they are looking for more punch out of their infield, and they did call up Cord Phelps, only to sit him about half the time. (He has even been sitting against right-handed pitching, which was not expected to be the case.) If they don't see enough out of Phelps in the short term, they might choose to make Kipnis -- their second baseman of the future -- the second baseman of the present. The left-handed hitter is hitting both lefties and righties, is batting .296 with seven homers and a .506 slugging percentage and is a perfect 10-for-10 in steals at Triple-A.
10. Neil Ramirez, SP, Texas Rangers: The 22-year-old former first-round pick skipped right over Double-A with no problems, fanning 62 batters in 56&frac23; innings over 12 Triple-A starts and posting solid numbers in a league in which balls are flying out of the park with regularity. General manager Jon Daniels has stated that Ramirez is on the club's radar screen for the second half.
11. Jacob Turner, SP, Detroit Tigers: I've struggled the past few weeks deciding who I've wanted to put in this last spot; there are several decent candidates for it. It might be a bit premature to put Turner here, but the Tigers (manager and general manager) said as far back as spring training that Turner was on the short list for the club's rotation depth this season, and the Tigers have never been afraid to promote prospects aggressively. Turner has struck out 64 with a 3-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio at Double-A, and could conceivably be promoted right from there if the Tigers need rotation help.

Other notes:

[+] Enlarge
mlb_a_montero_ps_200.jpg
<CITE>AP Photo/Kathy Willens</CITE>Jesus Montero is just not getting it done at Triple-A.

• Where's Jesus Montero on this list? Well, the Yankees catcher prospect isn't doing anything offensively or defensively to force the issue, even with the club's recent injuries. He's posting only a .338 on-base percentage, not hitting for much power, and, as I mentioned above (in my scouting report of Mesoraco), he's the worst catcher at Triple-A in terms of throwing out base stealers. Meanwhile, teammate Jorge Vazquez has hit 20 bombs, but striking out in a third of his plate appearances at Triple-A hasn't helped his case for a call-up. I included Vazquez last week because I wanted to at least mention him, but he doesn't appear to be in the Yanks' plans for now, so he dropped off the list.
• Red Sox pitcher Kyle Weiland dropped off the list, too, simply because contractual obligations to Andrew Miller led to Miller getting the call to the big leagues. The Red Sox reportedly will juggle six starting pitchers for now, which means Weiland will have to wait a bit longer.
• Where is Lonnie Chisenhall? Though I am high on his lefty stroke over the long term, he's hitting just .250 and slugging under .400, in part because he has been inept versus lefty pitching thus far (.174 AVG, .304 SLG). There likely isn't much short-term fantasy potential here even if he does get a look.
• I included Jacob Turner, but what about two other Double-A fireballers, St. Louis' Shelby Miller and Arizona's Jarrod Parker? It's not out of the realm of possibility that we see either or both of them in the second half if their respective clubs' rotation depth is tested further. As such, they might make my Top 11 as others get promoted and taken off of it. But I think it's more likely these two pitchers will make their impact in 2012. Parker is averaging fewer than five innings per start at Double-A. Another big Double-A starting pitching prospect, the Yankees' Manny Banuelos, is averaging the same. If another Yankees prospect, Dellin Betances, gets the call, it might be for a bullpen role.
• Besides Mesoraco, the Reds have a host of players at Triple-A who could see big league time in the second half, from outfielder/first baseman Yonder Alonso to outfielder Dave Sappelt to shortstop Zack Cozart to utility man Todd Frazier. However, manager Dusty Baker loves his veterans, and I've stopped trying to guess what he'll do with the team's left-field situation.
Dayan Viciedo is technically not a prospect anymore after his big league time last year, but he has made some small strides with his approach this season. There is talk that he might supplant Juan Pierre in the White Sox lineup at some point in the near future after converting to right field. Despite the strides he has taken and good results in a small sample size last season, I'm still skeptical about his ability to consistently hit in the big leagues, especially against pitchers who can change speeds well and spin a decent breaking ball.
<LINK rel=stylesheet href="http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c?css=community/echo.1.2.5.css" charset=utf-8><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c?js=community/echo/jquery-plugins.0.0.2.js,community/echo/backplane.0.0.0.js,community/echo/auth.0.0.6.js,community/echo/user-list.0.0.6.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var user_echo = null;var echo_allow_access = false;if (espn.core.loggedIn) ** var grif = jQuery.cookie('grif'); if (grif == null) ** echo_allow_access = true; } Backplane.resetCookieChannel(); Backplane.init(** "serverBaseURL" : "https://api.echoenabled.com/v1", "busName": "espn.go.com", "channelName": espn.cookie.get('backplane-id') }); var backplane_confirmation = false; var backplane_subscription = Backplane.subscribe(function(message) ** if (message.type == "identity/ack") ** backplane_confirmation = true; Backplane.unsubscribe(backplane_subscription); } }); user_echo = new Echo.User(**"appkey": "dev.espn.go.com"}); user_echo.init(function() ** if (!user_echo.logged()) ** if (backplane_confirmation) ** user_echo._global("set", "state", "init"); user_echo.init(); } else ** Backplane.expectMessages(["identity/ack"]); if (!user_echo.logged()) ** var swid = espn.core.SWID; var random = (new Date()).valueOf().toString() + Math.random().toString().substr(2, 5) + swid.replace(/(**|-|})/g,''); Backplane.config.customChannelName = random; Backplane.resetCookieChannel(); espn.cookie.set('backplane-id',random); espn.cookie.set('bp_channel_id',Backplane.getChannelID()); jQuery.get('https://r.espn.go.com/members/util/echoAuthenticate', null, null, 'jsonp'); } } } });} else ** user_echo = new Echo.User(**"appkey": "dev.espn.go.com"}); user_echo.init(function() ** if (user_echo.logged()) ** user_echo.logout(); } });}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var echoformnull = null;jQuery.getScriptCache("http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c?js=community/echo/submit.0.0.8.js,community/echo/plugins/form-auth.0.0.1.js,community/echo/plugins/analytics.0.0.1.js,community/echo/plugins/metadata.0.0.0.js,community/echo/plugins/user-gag.0.1.3.js",function()** if (echo_allow_access == true) ** echoformnull = new Echo.Submit(** "target": document.getElementById("echoformnull"), "appkey": "dev.espn.go.com", "targetURL": "http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/fantasy/blog?name=grey_jason&id=6669384", "actionString": "Type your comment here...", "plugins": [ ** "name": "UserGag" }, ** "name": "FormAuth", "submitPermissions": "forceLogin", "nestedPlugins": [**"name": "EspnProfile"}] }, ** "name": "Analytics" }, ** "name": "SubmitDisclaimer" } ] }); }});(function($) ** var plugin = Echo.createPlugin(** "name": "SubmitDisclaimer", "applications": ["Submit"], "init": function(plugin, application) ** plugin.extendTemplate("Submit", plugin.counterTemplate, "insertBefore", "echo-submit-post-container"); } }); plugin.renderers = **"Submit": **}}; plugin.counterTemplate = 'Member comments together with Member Names may be used on TV and other ESPN media platforms.
';})(jQuery);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var echostreamnull_query = "childrenof:http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/fantasy/blog?name=grey_jason&id=6669384 sortOrder:reverseChronological source:espn.go.com,ESPN type:comment itemsPerPage:25 state:Untouched,ModeratorApproved -user.state:ModeratorBanned,ModeratorDeleted children source:espn.go.com,ESPN state:Untouched,ModeratorApproved -user.state:ModeratorBanned,ModeratorDeleted";var echostreamnull = null;jQuery.getScriptCache("http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c?js=community/echo/stream.0.1.0.js,community/echo/plugins/profile.0.0.2.js,community/echo/plugins/item-normalization.0.0.1.js,community/echo/plugins/form-auth.0.0.1.js,community/echo/plugins/like.0.0.0.js,community/echo/plugins/reply.0.0.0.js,community/echo/plugins/community-flag.0.0.0.js,community/echo/plugins/edit.0.0.2.js,community/echo/plugins/edit-tweaks.0.0.0.js,community/echo/plugins/metadata-manager.0.0.0.js,community/echo/curation.0.0.7.js,community/echo/plugins/curation.0.0.0.js,community/echo/plugins/user-ban.0.0.0.js,community/echo/plugins/reset.0.0.0.js,community/echo/plugins/flags-user-list.0.0.2.js,community/echo/plugins/user-gag.0.1.3.js",function()** echostreamnull = new Echo.Stream(** "target":document.getElementById('echostreamnull'), "appkey":"dev.espn.go.com", "query":echostreamnull_query, "liveUpdates": true, "liveUpdatesTimeout": 12, "openLinksInNewWindow":true, "maxBodyCharacters":2000, "streamStateLabel":** "icon":true, "text":true }, "viaLabel":** "icon":false, "text":false }, "reTag":false, "contentTransformations": **"text":["smileys", "urls", "newlines"], "html":["smileys", "urls", "newlines"], "xhtml":["smileys", "urls", "newlines"]}, "aggressiveSanitization":false, "itemControlsOrder": ["Like", "Reply", "CommunityFlag", "Edit", "SelfShare", "MetadataManager", "ResetItemControl", "Curation", "UserBan", "UserGag"], "plugins":[ ** "name":"Reply", "actionString":"Write reply here...", "nestedPlugins":[** "name": "UserGag" }, ** "name":"FormAuth", "submitPermissions":"forceLogin", "nestedPlugins":[**"name":"EspnProfile"}] }], "enabled":echo_allow_access }, ** "name":"Like", "nestedPlugins":[**"name":"EspnProfile"}] }, ** "name":"SelfShare" }, ** "name":"ItemContentNormalizer" }, ** "name":"CommunityFlag" }, ** "name":"ResetItemControl" }, ** "name":"Curation" }, ** "name":"UserBan" }, ** "name":"MetadataManager", "controls":[**"marker":"featured", "labelMark":"Feature", "labelUnmark":"Unfeature"}] }, ** "name":"FlagsUserList" }, ** "name":"TwitterAdmin" }, ** "name":"UserGag" }, ** "name":"Edit", "nestedPlugins": [** "name": "EditTweaks" }] }, ** "name":"EspnProfile" } ] }); jQuery('a.echo_sort_up').click(function()** jQuery('a.echo_sort_down').removeClass('active'); jQuery(this).addClass('active'); echostreamnull.config.set("query", echostreamnull_query.replace('chronological','reverseChronological')); echostreamnull.refresh(); return false; }); jQuery('a.echo_sort_down').click(function()** jQuery('a.echo_sort_up').removeClass('active'); jQuery(this).addClass('active'); echostreamnull.config.set("query", echostreamnull_query.replace('reverseChronological','chronological')); echostreamnull.refresh(); return false; });});</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>try{profile.cc.getData();}catch(e)**}</SCRIPT>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Mmm Bop: Hanson Scratched
Braves right-hander Tommy Hanson registered a 3.33 ERA, 1.17 WHIP and 173 strikeouts over 34 starts last season, pitching his way into the rung of baseball's elite fantasy pitchers. He has continued that theme of dominance here in 2011 with a 2.48 ERA and 89 strikeouts through his first 83 1/3 frames.

Unfortunately, it's all going to be put on hold for a bit.

The Braves announced Thursday evening that Hanson has been scratched from his scheduled Friday start against the Rangers due to shoulder tendinitis and that 21-year-old prospect Randall Delgado will take the mound in his place.

The hope is that Hanson is only dealing with a routine case of shoulder soreness and will be ready to return on his next turn through the Atlanta rotation. But there's no way of knowing for sure. He'll be evaluated over the next two or three days before the Braves make a decision.

Delgado, a native of Panama, was ranked as the 35th-best prospect this past winter by Baseball America and has posted a 3.54 ERA and 64 strikeouts in 73-plus innings this season with Double-A Mississippi. He fanned 162 batters in 161 innings last year between Single-A and Double-A. Friday's major league debut will come against a dangerous Texas lineup and should be avoided for fantasy purposes, but Delgado is a guy worth monitoring for the future. The Braves have a surplus of quality young arms.

This is Friday's edition of the Daily Dose, and it's heavy on injured pitchers...

* Red Sox right-hander Clay Buchholz was pulled after throwing just 81 pitches Thursday against the Rays due to tightness in his lower back. He surrendered only two Tampa Bay hits in five quality innings and possesses a healthy 3.48 ERA through 14 starts this season, but the back problems that crept up on him in late May are not going away. With Andrew Miller arriving in the big leagues early next week, the Red Sox may go ahead and skip Buchholz's next turn in the rotation as a precautionary measure. A little mid-June break could be good for the talented 26-year-old.

* White Sox starter Jake Peavy made a highly successful rehab appearance on Thursday night with Triple-A Charlotte, racking up nine strikeouts while throwing six scoreless innings. He allowed just two hits. Manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters on Wednesday that Peavy might require more than one rehab start, but the 30-year-old right-hander pitched so well in his debut that we get the feeling he might be cleared to return to the major leagues next week. Peavy has obviously struggled to stay healthy since donning a White Sox uniform, but he has a 0.97 WHIP and a 20/4 K/BB ratio in 29 innings this season and is a must-start when not on the disabled list.

National League Quick Hits: Braves veteran Chipper Jones is day-to-day with a groin strain … Adam LaRoche underwent season-ending surgery on his left shoulder Thursday in the nation's capital … Cardinals third baseman David Freese is aiming to begin a minor league rehab assignment early next week … Brandon Beachy allowed just one run Thursday in a five-inning rehab start at Triple-A Gwinnett … Danny Espinosa hit a walkoff three-run homer Thursday to help the Nationals finish off a sweep of the Cardinals … Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez blew his second save of the season Thursday in an extra innings loss to the Braves … Matt Holliday returned from the disabled list Thursday and homered in his first plate appearance … St. Louis setup man Eduardo Sanchez has been placed on the disabled list with a sore shoulder … The Phillies signed Tim Redding to a minor league contract … Geoff Blum has begun taking batting practice and is aiming to return from the disabled list in early July … The Mets have not ruled out taking a chance on left-hander Scott Kazmir … Cardinals utilityman Nick Punto is aiming to begin a rehab assignment next week … The Cardinals reportedly have interest in left-handed reliever J.C. Romero … Zack Greinke was shelled for six earned runs Thursday in a loss to the Cubs … Chris Snyder and his wife were victims of a recent road rage incident … The Astros released catcher Max Ramirez.

American League Quick Hits: The Twins activated catcher Joe Mauer from the 60-day disabled list … Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon notched his 13th save of the season Thursday in a win over the Rays … A's second baseman Mark Ellis will begin a minor league rehab assignment this weekend at Triple-A Sacramento … Adrian Gonzalez recorded his 61st RBI in Thursday's victory over Tampa Bay … White Sox DH Adam Dunn is expected to play some outfield during interleague play … C.J. Wilson fanned 10 batters Thursday in an eight-inning start against the Yankees … Jed Lowrie could be headed for the disabled list with a shoulder injury … Franklin Morales is nearly ready to return to the Boston bullpen … Tigers third baseman Brandon Inge has been cleared to begin a minor league rehab assignment … Gio Gonzalez battled through a flu-like illness and struck out 10 batters Thursday in a victory over Kansas City … Max Scherzer earned his ninth win of the season Thursday in the Tigers' win over the Indians … Orioles starter Jeremy Guthrie is scheduled to undergo an MRI on his back Friday … Darren O'Day threw a successful live batting practice session Thursday and is nearing a return from the disabled list.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Unfamiliar Foes

Interleague play is in full swing for the upcoming week, with each club across the majors facing unfamiliar foes. Keep an eye on American League teams playing in NL parks and vice versa, as the switch in DH rules will affect playing time for certain folks.

Each MLB team gets a day off, so the two-start pitcher crop is a bit lighter than usual. There's only a handful of truly appealing options scattered across both leagues, so you may want to go fishing in the "Decent Plays" category, as well as the streamer suggestions.

The Tigers are scheduled to face four lefties in six games, so maybe Ryan Raburn (829 career OPS vs. LHP) can finally get it going.

Going Twice...

American League

Strong Plays
Ricky Romero: @ATL (Hudson), @STL (McClellan)
Jered Weaver: @FLA (Sanchez), @LAD (Kershaw)
Josh Beckett: SD (Moseley), @PIT (Morton)

Decent Plays
Derek Holland: HOU (Happ), NYM (Gee)
Jeff Niemann: @MIL (Narveson), @HOU (Happ)
Doug Fister: @WAS (Hernandez), @FLA (Sanchez)
Ivan Nova: @CIN (Cueto), COL (Nicasio)
Josh Outman: @NYM (Gee), @PHI (Halladay)
Carl Pavano: @SF (Bumgarner), @MIL (Narveson)
Gavin Floyd: CHC (Zambrano), WAS (Hernandez)
Jake Arrieta: @PIT (Morton), CIN (Cueto)

At Your Own Risk
Luke Hochevar: ARI (Saunders), CHC (Zambrano)
Brad Penny: @LAD (Kershaw), ARI (Saunders)
Fausto Carmona: COL (Nicasio), @SF (Bumgarner)

National League

Strong Plays
Madison Bumgarner: MIN (Pavano), CLE (Carmona)
Roy Halladay: @STL (McClellan), OAK (Outman)
Dillon Gee: OAK (Outman), @TEX (Holland)
Clayton Kershaw: DET (Penny), LAA (Weaver)
Anibal Sanchez: LAA (Weaver), SEA (Fister)
Johnny Cueto: NYY (Nova), @BAL (Arrieta)

Decent Plays
Livan Hernandez: SEA (Fister), @CWS (Floyd)
Dustin Moseley: @BOS (Beckett), ATL (Hudson)
Charlie Morton: BAL (Arrieta), BOS (Beckett)
Chris Narveson: TB (Niemann), MIN (Pavano)
Juan Nicasio: @CLE (Carmona), @NYY (Nova)
Carlos Zambrano: @CWS (Floyd), @KC (Hochevar)
Tim Hudson: TOR (Romero), @SD (Moseley)

At Your Own Risk
Kyle McClellan: PHI (Halladay), TOR (Romero)
J.A. Happ: @TEX (Holland), TB (Niemann)
Joe Saunders: @KC (Hochevar), @DET (Penny)

Streamer City

The following pitchers are generally available in over 50 percent of fantasy leagues and have favorable match-ups this week:

American League

Wednesday, 6/22: Edwin Jackson vs. CHC
Jackson has generally been effective lately, especially at home, and merits a look against the cross-town rivals.

Friday, 6/24: Carlos Carrasco @ SF
The young righty has notched 15 1/3 consecutive scoreless innings, including seven shutout frames at Yankee Stadium in his most recent turn.

Friday, 6/24: Scott Baker @ MIL
Baker has looked increasingly sharp lately, and is coming off a complete game victory against the Rangers.

National League

Thursday, 6/23: Chris Capuano vs. OAK
Capuano has three quality starts in his last four turns, while the A's have scored four or fewer runs in nine of their past 10.

Thursday, 6/23: Jason Marquis vs. SEA
The veteran right-hander has been very steady for the Nats this year, and matches up well at home against the M's.

<!--RW-->

Total Games

American League

6: BAL, BOS, CWS, CLE, DET, KC, LAA, MIN, NYY, OAK, SEA, TB, TEX, TOR

National League

6: ARI, ATL, CHC, CIN, COL, FLA, HOU, LAD, MIL, NYM, PHI, PIT, SD, SF, STL, WAS

Lefty/Righty Breakdown

American League

BAL: 6 vs. RHP, 0 vs. LHP
BOS: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
CWS: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
CLE: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
DET: 2 vs. RHP, 4 vs. LHP
KC: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
LAA: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
MIN: 3 vs. RHP, 3 vs. LHP
NYY: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
OAK: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
SEA: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
TB: 3 vs. RHP, 3 vs. LHP
TEX: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
TOR: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP

National League

ARI: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
ATL: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
CHC: 3 vs. RHP, 3 vs. LHP
CIN: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
COL: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
FLA: 6 vs. RHP, 0 vs. LHP
HOU: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
LAD: 6 vs. RHP, 0 vs. LHP
MIL: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
NYM: 2 vs. RHP, 4 vs. LHP
PHI: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
PIT: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
SD: 6 vs. RHP, 0 vs. LHP
SF: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
STL: 3 vs. RHP, 3 vs. LHP
WAS: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP

The Infirmary

You can get a full listing of injured players at Rotoworld's Injury Page, but here's the latest on a few prominent players who have been out of action:

Alfredo Simon: Out until late June
Kerry Wood: Out until late June
Justin Morneau: Out until late June
Derek Jeter: Out until late June
Bartolo Colon: Out indefinitely
Freddy Sanchez: Out indefinitely
Jeff Niemann: Returning this week

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
CoJack back in Prime Time?
CoJack is Back? That story and others are explored in this week's Week That Was.

Connor Jackson: Conor Jackson had a good night in the battle of the Bay, stroking three hits and knocking in a run to help the A's beat the Freak and the Giants. If you watch the box scores closely, you will see that new manager Bob Melvin has penciled "CoJack" into the lineup quite often. Simply stated this is a buying opportunity. Daric Barton is not doing the job, Hideki Matsui is hardly lighting it up, Josh Willingham cannot stay on the field, and quite simply, the A's cant score. So, why not let CoJack try and prove he is all the way back from Valley Fever. If you are in a deep league, CoJack could prove to be your lightning in a bottle. Who knows, if he gets really hot, he might even say "who loves ya baby".

Mike Leake: Mike Leake was pretty good last night, giving up three runs on five hits in seven innings. Since the beginning of this month, the Reds youngster has a sterling 2.48 ERA and 17/2 K/BB ratio. Simply put – buy! He is all of 23, but he already has a full season under his belt and has shown real maturity in the way he has turned up the heat this month. The bad news is that he gets my Yankees next time out. The good news is that he will get the Cubs, Pirates, and Astros quite often during the rest of the season. Buy!

Dustin Ackley: In news that should shock no reader of this column (or frankly any fantasy column), Dustin Ackley has arrived in Seattle from the minors and will play every day. The good news is that Ackley has shown great eye and great patience in the minors (117/130 K/BB ratio over 918 plate appearances). The bad news is that he hit just .263 at AA and just .273 at AAA last year. Thus, Ackley is a work in progress. Those in deep leagues should take a shot. Those in 12 team mixed leagues should look elsewhere. Not only is Ackley not ready to star, he plays on a poor offensive team in a pitcher's park. Of course, no matter what Ack does, Adam Kennedy owners should realize that the ride is over.

Brett Myers: Rumors reported on this site and others noted that the Astros are willing to deal Brett Myers before July 31. Really? Wow, what a shock. Ok seriously, there are fantasy lessons to be learned (or at least repeated) from this unsurprising little tidbit. First, if you own Myers, this could be great or a disaster. If you are in a league that forces you to lose him if he is dealt to the AL, well, you may be SOL by July 31. On the other hand, if you can keep his stats, you may well have a pitcher who goes from a team who doesn't score for him to a team that will (hmmm, Yankees maybe?). The other lesson to be reiterated here is the old T in SMART stands for team. If the Astros were good, they would not consider dealing Myers. Thus, you would not be at risk of him moving leagues and possibly (depending on your league rules) losing him completely.
Doug Davis: Doug Davis, yes that Doug Davis, looked like Greg Maddux Friday, hurling 7 1/3 innings of one-run ball to beat the Yankees. What to do with this information? Ignore it. For some reason that I cannot explain, but know to a moral certainty to be true, the Yankees have trouble hitting soft tossing ineffective pitchers that they have not seen before. Coming into Friday, Davis had and ERA over 5.00 and a WHIP over 1.65. Indeed, over the last three years, Davis, has compiled an ERA over 4.50 and a WHIP well above 1.50. Bottom line – if you own Davis, carp about how he slayed the mighty Yankees and move him for whatever you can. If you are considering adding Davis for his next start at U.S. Cellular, well go splash some cold water on your face and think again.

Josh Harrison: Josh Harrison did something very few accomplish this week. He avoided the DL despite having the dreaded oblique injury and continued his hitting ways. The Bucs temporary 3B went 1-3 with an RBI in his first game back Thursday. Over the last 10 days, Harrison is 9-25. This is no fluke as he hit an even .300 last year at AA. There will be a logjam when Pedro Alvarez returns. However, Harrison is playing now and hitting, so ride the ship. If he keeps hitting, they will find a way to keep playing him.

Jesus Guzman: In what was probably a little notice item, the Pods called up Jesus Guzman from AAA and cut Jorge Cantu. As far as Cantu, it is hard to see him emerging somewhere else and hitting this year. He has now failed with both Texas and S.D. The more interesting play for deep NL-only players is Guzman. Before the call up, Jesus was raking at a .332 clip with 8 dingers and 57 RBI in 63 AAA games. While his glove at 3B and in the OF leaves a lot to be desired, the Pods need O and he can flat out hit. He missed last year with injury but before that, he hit .321 in AAA in 2009 and .363 in AA in 2008. He may just get splinters in SD but what do they, or you, have to lose by taking a flyer. Speculate.

Edwin Jackson: Edwin Jackson lost yesterday, but really did not pitch that badly. Jackson gave up 4 runs over 6 2/3 innings but struck out eight and walked none. So far, his numbers are not pretty but not as bad as people think -- 4.47 ERA (not great and not terrible in this day and age) but 73K/30BB in 87 innings is not too shabby. Jackson has great stuff and had a terrific second half last year. Pitching is hard to find and sometimes you have to gamble. I would gamble here if I needed a jolt in the standings.

Now, before we get to our old anchor man, allow me to reflect a moment and give a well deserved shout out to one of Rotoworld's own. On Monday night, I was had the distinct honor and privilege of introducing Rotoworld's and NBC's Rick Wolf at his induction into the Fantasy Sports Trade Association Hall of Fame. According to the FSTA, over 32 Million Americans enjoy fantasy sports. That means that there are 32 Million of you out there that should be thanking Rick. Without his tireless effort on behalf of the industry, its members and all of you who play, the game and hobby you love so much would not be the same and may not even exist at all. Sirius/XM will broadcast the ceremonies so you can hear them in full if you want. Suffice it to say that it really was a great night and one of those rare occasions where the good guys really did finish first. Congratulations Rick and to Rotowire's Peter Schoenke (another giant in the industry and all around good guy). This recognition and induction was so richly deserved. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it.

And now back to player evaluation and strategy with this from the baron of the bottom of the page -- Schultz says: "Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Derek Holland, Matt Harrison and Colby Lewis. Think back to the beginning of the year and recall how you would have ranked those five pitchers. (For this little thought experiment, we're going to ignore the fact that Chamberlain was slotted into a set up role). Most likely, you had both Yankees ranked higher than the Rangers. After all, the Yankees had been overprotective-mother crazy with coddling Hughes and Chamberlain, making sure their tender young arms weren't worked too hard. If they could have wrapped them in bubble wrap and posted "Fragile!! Important Cargo," they probably would have. Meanwhile, in Arlington, the Rangers were going old school, treating their young pitchers like men instead of China dolls and making them pitch deep into games and challenging them to pitch while tired. With Hughes struggling to regain his fastball, Chamberlain on the shelf until late 2012 and the Rangers starters racking up complete games, it might be a signal as to where the scales are tipping. The conventional wisdom has always instructed roto-owners to be wary of young pitchers that threw a lot of innings the year before. However, I posit that any statistics backing up that theory are tainted by the corollating effect of hitters having more tape of a young pitcher in their second year. Nolan Ryan's way of thinking may be ushering in a new age that changes the way we evaluate the prospects of starting pitchers.

The other game-changing shift in the pitching world may bafflingly be found within the bone marrow of Bartolo Colon. After years of irrelevancy, the rotund ex-Indian has found new life after receiving stem cell injections into his pitching elbow. Colon's recent resurgence is no fluke: prior to injuring his hamstring this past weekend, his fastball had movement that had been missing for years and he looked very much like the Cy Young winner he once was. Since I doubt it's anything unique about Colon's bone marrow - and wouldn't that be funny if it was and he became a stem cell stud horse for injured pitchers - roto-owners should keep an eye out for those hurlers that opt for this treatment in the future.

Since my Dad is among our column's readers; Happy Father's Day!!"

Response: Hmmmm. Well, while I agree that young pitchers are coddled too much and too often, I think there is a different explanation for the Hughes, Chamberlain debacle – indecision and whimsy. The Yankees kept shifting these two gems from the pen to the rotation and back and back again. I have little doubt that the see-saw caused or at least contributed to their issues. So, I would argue that when you see teams mess with young arms (see Feliz, Neftali) rather than make a decision and stick to it (see Papelbon, Jonathan), that is when you should see warning signs.

Final Note: Happy Fathers' day to all those dad's out there, including those who have been dads for a long time – mine and Mr. Schultz especially, as well as those that have only been dads for a couple of weeks like my buddy, ESPN fantasy star and NFBC partner Nate Ravitz. I hope you all have a wonderful and restful day (and get to watch some good baseball too!)

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
NL Notes: Coghlan's Downfall
The Marlins weren't going to fire Edwin Rodriguez. They couldn't bench Hanley Ramirez. They had no one they could use to replace Javier Vazquez or Chris Volstad.

So on Friday it was Chris Coghlan who got the heave-ho. He was demoted to Triple-A after hitting .230/.296/.368 in 269 at-bats this season.

And that's not a good line. However, Coghlan's struggles were strictly a result of him being horrible against lefties. Versus righties, he was hitting .278/.347/.454 in 194 at-bats, making him an above average regular about 70 percent of the time.

It'll be interesting to see how the Marlins intend to replace that. Emilio Bonifacio's OPS against right-handers is .652, 149 points lower than Coghlan's .801 mark. Veteran DeWayne Wise, who took Coghlan's spot on the roster, has a career OPS of .650 against right-handers (which is actually much better than his .588 mark against left-handers).

But the Marlins were 3-18 this month, so apparently someone had to go. And now the team is even worse off because of it.

At least it's only temporary. Coghlan will probably be back in two or three weeks, and maybe some low-pressure at-bats against lefties will do him some good. He certainly needs to be held on to in NL-only leagues. Maybe Wise will have a little short-term value in the meantime, but he really is pretty terrible.

National League notes

- Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson named Juan Miranda his primary first baseman at the end of the spring, but he's obviously never really warmed up to the former Yankee. As of Friday, Miranda had started just 33 of the team's 70 games. The decision to release Russell Branyan seemed like just the break Miranda needed to solidify his job, but Gibson has recently gone to Xavier Nady more and more, even against right-handers.

It doesn't seem entirely fair. Miranda is hitting just .235 in 132 at-bats this season, but that comes with a .784 OPS. The NL league average for first baseman this year is a .795 OPS. Nady has just a .683 OPS in his 124 at-bats.

Furthermore, the Diamondbacks are 21-12 with Miranda in the lineup, compared to 17-20 the rest of the time.

Still, Miranda isn't anything special. He's 28, and he's never going to be anything more than a platoon player. So if Gibson isn't happy with him, the Diamondbacks should probably just move on now.

But who to move on to? 25-year-old Brandon Allen has been terrific in Triple-A, hitting .299/.421/.525. He came up last year and hit .267/.393/.400 in 45 at-bats down the stretch, and he really should have been given more consideration for a starting job this spring.

Then there's 23-year-old Paul Goldschmidt, the minor league home run leader with 21 bombs for Double-A Mobile. He is hitting a remarkable .338/.458/.667 in the Southern League.

It certainly wouldn't be very fair for the Diamondbacks to bypass Allen again. He has nothing left to prove in Triple-A, while Goldschmidt has yet to receive an at-bat at the level. Still, there has been more speculation lately that Goldschmidt could be the choice. Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers recently said that he could be added around the All-Star break.

Either way, Miranda's days with the Diamondbacks may be numbered. He's out of options, so it wouldn't be surprised to see him flipped for a possible bullpen arm at some point within the next few weeks.

- Charlie Blackmon stole bases in five straight games for the Rockies and is now getting talked up as the team's possible long-term leadoff man. That looks like a reach, though. Blackmon did hit .337/.393/.572 in Triple-A this year, but that was Colorado Springs and he was never nearly so exceptional previously. Plus, he's just not that fast, which is why the Rockies moved Carlos Gonzalez back to center field when they placed Dexter Fowler on the DL. Blackmon was a center fielder initially as a pro, but the Rockies switched him to right this year. I view Blackmon as a tweener: he doesn't quite have the glove for center or the power for a corner. He should be a nice fourth outfielder and a decent enough stopgap when he's needed to start regularly against right-handers. Since he has Coors Field working in his favor and he is running like crazy at the moment, it's worth trying him in mixed leagues. However, he probably won't have any lasting value. He's just a good basestealer, not a great one, with 31 successes in 43 attempts in 143 minor league games over the last two years.

- Ian Stewart is back in Triple-A Colorado Springs' lineup after missing time with a strained hamstring and is hitting .318 with five homers in 11 games this month. It isn't likely to happen next week, but the Rockies need to give him another chance sometime soon. Ty Wigginton is far from an ideal option as an everyday third baseman. Unless something changes between now and then, Eric Young Jr. will likely be sent down when Stewart returns.

- The Tommy Hanson injury news is scary, even if the Braves have indicated that there's no structural damage in his sore right shoulder. The hope is that he'll be back at the end of the month. With Brandon Beachy (oblique) not yet ready to return, the Braves called on Randall Delgado to make a spot start Friday. The plan was for Beachy to make one more rehab start next week, but that might be scratched now. Watch the news this weekend to see if he'll be worth activating in NL-only leagues this week. The 21-year-old Delgado doesn't figure to make more than one additional start regardless. He's a big-time talent, but he's probably at least a year away.

- With Jonathan Broxton (elbow) about to begin a rehab assignment, Hong-Chih Kuo (anxiety) ready to come off the DL and Vicente Padilla (neck) potentially done for the year, the Dodgers' closing situation is as interesting as ever. No one currently in the team's bullpen has more than one save and the Dodgers aren't carrying many leads into the ninth, so there's not really anyone there worth using in mixed leagues at the moment. It's hard to imagine the Dodgers rushing Kuo into save chances given that he's overcoming the yips, so it may well be Broxton's job to lose once he's ready to return.

- Perhaps Scott Rolen is finally poised to be useful in mixed leagues after a disappointing first two months. Although he missed some time recently with strep throat, he has six extra-base hits and eight RBI in his nine games this month.

- Homer Bailey (shoulder) was awfully shaky in both of his rehab starts for Triple-A Louisville. On Thursday, he allowed three runs and 11 hits in 4 1/3 innings. His velocity was just fine, according to reports, so the Reds might go ahead and activate him this week anyway. Still, the safe play for fantasy leaguers would be to keep him reserved.

- The Brewers aren't currently planning on putting Shaun Marcum on the DL with the left hip flexor strain he suffered Friday, but it looks like he could miss his start this week. Marco Estrada would be the favorite to fill in. Triple-A Nashville's Mark DiFelice is another possibility.

- Carlos Zambrano says he'll waive his no-trade clause, and with the Cubs seemingly unlikely to get back into contention, there is a pretty good chance he'll be moved this summer. All it should take is some team willing to take on most of the approx. $28 million he's due through the end of next year, a total that will shrink to about $24 million by the time the trade deadline rolls around.

The Yankees have often been linked to Zambrano, though concerns about how he'd handle New York -- also a reason why they didn't make a big offer for Zack Greinke over the winter -- still make them an unlikely suitor. Ryan Dempster could well be more to their liking. Texas would make sense, though the Rangers would probably want the Cubs to pick up quite a portion of that salary. That wouldn't be a bad idea for the Cubs, given that the Rangers have some intriguing young pitching to offer in return. He'd be a potential difference maker in the NL West for the Diamondbacks or Rockies, but neither of those teams figures to come up with the money.

- Darwin Barney's knee injury wasn't particularly bad news for the Cubs. He was no longer playing well enough to justify all of the at-bats he was getting, and the team is probably better off going with Blake DeWitt and Jeff Baker at second base. Those two are both worth playing in NL-only leagues at the moment. DeWitt will get more starts, but Baker is the superior option anyway. Barney might not be back until after the All-Star break.

- Roy Oswalt is battling, but there's still no sign of his velocity returning to where it was at the start of the year and he looks like nothing more than an average pitcher right now. Mixed leaguers should think about sitting him when he doesn't have favorable matchups. His outing next week comes against St. Louis, so he's a mediocre play.

- The Astros are getting prepared to sell, but there isn't going to be a whole lot worth buying unless Hunter Pence is put up for bids. A casual mention of Brett Myers and Jeff Keppinger being available by MLB.com's Bill Ladson started the rumor mill swirling Friday, but it shouldn't have been taken as big news. The Astros blew it by keeping Myers last summer and signing him to a two-year, $23 million extension. Unless he starts pitching better, no one is going to want to be on the hook for his $11 million salary next year. Keppinger has use as a nice bench player or a stopgap second baseman; he's very likely to be moved before the deadline. My guess is that Pence and Wandy Rodriguez will stay, but it's not a lock in either case.

- When the Astros do trade Keppinger, they'll likely give Matt Downs a try as a starting second baseman. Downs, who was claimed off waivers from the Giants last year, has been a pleasant surprise with a .280/.389/.547 line in 75 at-bats this season.

- I would bank on Dillon Gee's numbers starting to suffer against AL lineups over the next couple of weeks. He's done awfully well relying on cutters and changeups so far, but with no legitimate breaking ball to help with strikeouts, I'd still say he's likely a fourth starter at best. Mixed leaguers can take advantage of his start against the A's coming up, but I think he'll start fading soon.

- Jason Bay isn't really driving the ball with any authority at all, but he has shaken off a couple of benchings with five hits in his last three games. At least it makes him a better play in NL-only leagues.

- The Pirates are giving new acquisition Michael McKenry a look as a starting catcher with Chris Snyder (back) and Ryan Doumit (ankle) on the DL. He'll strike out too much to hit for average, but he does have a little pop, which should give him some short-term value in NL-only leagues. He's a better bet than Dusty Brown to help teams over the next few weeks.

- Some have wondered why the Pirates didn't call up former No. 1 pick Tony Sanchez instead of trying Brown and now McKenry behind the plate. Sanchez, though, is slugging just .337 in Double-A. He does have a decent .367 OBP, and his defense continues to draw nice reviews. Still, Double-A is where he belongs at the moment.

- The Padres gave up on Jorge Cantu just as the DH games were starting, deciding to try Jesus Guzman instead. Guzman, 27, was tearing up left-handed pitching in Triple-A and hitting .332/.423/.529 overall. He was viewed as a deep sleeper when he signed with the San Francisco prior to the 2009 season, but the Giants decided he was too much of a liability defensively to be of any use. The Padres had him playing mostly third base in Triple-A, with the occasional start in the outfield. It doesn't seem likely that he'll carve out a real niche during his time with the club.

- Orlando Hudson (groin) is expected to come off the disabled list on Sunday. Logan Forsythe will likely be sent down to make room.

- It doesn't bode well for Pat Burrell's chances of remaining a Giant that the team couldn't even find room for him in a DH lineup Friday against the A's. Unless he gets hot, he seems likely to be jettisoned when Brandon Belt comes off the DL, and right now, manager Bruce Bochy doesn't seem interested in even giving him the chance to heat up.

- There's a slight chance the Giants will get Mike Fontenot (groin) back before the end of the week. Belt (wrist) is likely two weeks away, and it appears that the plan is for Barry Zito to return to start one of the games in a doubleheader on June 28.

- The Cards got healthier with Matt Holliday and Kyle McClellan returning last week. Now both David Freese (hand) and Nick Punto (forearm) are set to begin rehab assignments this week. Punto will be back first, but that shouldn't matter much to fantasy leaguers. Freese is probably going to be activated right around the 1st of July, and he'll reclaim the third-base job from Daniel Descalso.

- It sounds like the Nationals' Rick Ankiel could go back on the disabled list with a strained intercostal muscle. Gregor Blanco has finally started hitting in Triple-A -- he's at .275/.408/.525 with four steals in 40 at-bats this month -- and he could soon get a look in center field. It may depend on whether Roger Bernadina's last four games are the start of a hot streak or just a mirage. He's gone 8-for-17 with two homers to raise his OPS from .628 to .706.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
AL Notes: Waiting On Viciedo
White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen reiterated Friday that he'll keep hamstringing his team by playing Juan Pierre in left field and letting him lead off. Apparently the only way that's going to change is if GM Ken Williams releases Pierre in order to make room for 22-year-old Dayan Viciedo on the roster.

Viciedo is hitting .393 in Triple-A this month and is up to .324/.369/.538 for the year. Strike zone judgment remains an issue, and Viciedo would be something of a liability defensively if handed the left field job. Still, the power figures to translate to the majors pretty well and it's hard to see how he could be a downgrade from what Pierre has given the team this year.

Plus, the White Sox would have Brent Lillibridge available as a fallback. All Lillibridge has done as hit .273/.375/.568 this year. Even as he's cooled off lately and taken a seat on the bench as a result -- he hasn't started since last Saturday -- he still has an .817 OPS in June.

So, we just need to wait and see if Williams decides to pull rank. Pierre is hitting .212/.281/.269 this month, and the White Sox have scored a total of two runs while losing their last three games. Something needs to be done, and if releasing Pierre is the only way to get him out of the leadoff spot, it's the move Williams needs to make.

American League notes

- Rant aside, Pierre has actually been a lot more valuable offensively than Alex Rios this season. The two players have .298 slugging percentages, and Pierre has a 60-point advantage in OBP (.318 to .258). Rios at least has his glove to fall back on, but 67 games into the season, his struggles can no longer be treated as a mere slump. I can't advise giving up on him in mixed leagues, yet I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel with the way he's swinging now. It's just weak at-bat after weak at-bat.

- It appears that the White Sox will activate Jake Peavy (groin) in time to start him Wednesday against the Cubs. There's been some speculation that they wouldn't go back to the six-man rotation they used before Peavy got hurt, but the current plan calls for them to stay the course. If they do drop a starter, it will probably be Edwin Jackson, even though he has a nice 3.51 ERA and 41/13 K/BB ratio in 51 1/3 innings since the beginning of May.

- The Mariners couldn't find a taker for Jack Wilson, but they brought up Dustin Ackley to play second base anyway. I don't see Ackley becoming a force in mixed leagues right away. Maybe he'll move up to the two hole if he gets off to a hot start, but runs and RBI will be hard for him to come by while he's hitting seventh. Wilson becomes the last man on the Seattle bench now, while Adam Kennedy will probably begin to cut into Chone Figgins' playing time at third.

- Mike Carp is getting most of his playing time in the DH spot since coming up, which makes one wonder how much longer Jack Cust's tenure in Seattle will last. Cust followed up an ugly April by hitting .276/.375/.447 in May, but he's just 2-for-23 so far during June. It wouldn't be surprising to see him get released within the next couple of weeks. I'm not certain Carp is an upgrade, but he does have pretty good power and he's worth adding in AL-only leagues.

- Two years ago, it looked like Felix Pie might be ready to break through and become a decent regular. He hit .266/.326/.437 in 252 at-bats for the Orioles as a 24-year-old in 2009 and .274/.305/.413 in 288 at-bats last season. Back on the bench once again as a result of the Derrek Lee and Vladimir Guerrero signings, he's hitting .253/.260/.313 in 100 at-bats this year. He's striking out less than usual, with just 15 K's so far, but only on Saturday, when he was called on to replace an injured Luke Scott, did he finally draw his first walk of the season.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Orioles have held on to him for too long. He might have some trade value for teams looking for center field possibilities a year ago, but I don't think anyone would give up a quality prospect for him now. Maybe the Nationals could give him a try; he's better defensively than Roger Bernadina, though the offense might be a wash. The Orioles could free up some additional at-bats for Nolan Reimold by moving him, but since Reimold isn't much of a center fielder and there's no one else around to back up Adam Jones, they might opt to keep him for the rest of the year.

- Brian Matusz's velocity was somewhat better Saturday against the Nationals, as he was more frequently at 87-88 mph with his fastball. Still, that's down significantly from the 90 mph he averaged with his heater last year. The hope is that his arm strength will come back the further removed he gets from the strained ribcage muscle that cost him the first two months. I still expect him to emerge as a solid mixed-league starter in the second half, but since he's not 100 percent, he's a shaky play right now.

- Jeremy Guthrie is iffy to make his start Tuesday because of a strained back. If he can't go, then Brad Bergesen will likely face the Pirates.

- Andrew Miller will make his Red Sox debut on Monday after striking out 10 over 5 1/3 innings in his final start for Triple-A Pawtucket. He's had a fine ERA all season long, but he walked 34 over 47 1/3 innings during April and May. This month, he has an exceptional 22/1 K/BB ratio in 18 1/3 innings. Miller's start this week will come in Clay Buchholz's place as Buchholz recovers from a back injury, but if he pitches well, he should stick in the rotation in Tim Wakefield's spot. Given his upside, he has to be picked up in AL-only leagues. It's not hard to imagine him walking five in 1 1/3 innings in his start Monday, but it's also entirely possible he'll spend the rest of the year as an above average starter.

- Carl Crawford's hamstring strain wasn't supposed to be too serious, but the Red Sox placed him on the disabled list anyway. With Mike Cameron struggling, Josh Reddick could get the majority of the starts in left field for now. He makes for a decent pickup in AL-only leagues. Darnell McDonald could also have a little value.

- Marco Scutaro will be Boston's starting shortstop for the next two weeks after Jed Lowrie was placed on the disabled list with a shoulder injury.

- I was looking forward to see if David Phelps could make it as the Yankees' fifth starter, but the team instead went out and signed converted outfielder Brian Gordon. Gordon used a slider as his second pitch when he got a brief look with the Rangers three years ago, but he's come up with a pretty good curveball since. That and excellent command of a 90-mph fastball allowed him to thrive in Triple-A for the Phillies. I don't think it will be enough to allow him to survive as a starter in the American League, and I wouldn't recommend him as a fantasy pickup.

- While there's been some talk of Jorge Posada perhaps coming into a game as a catcher, manager Joe Girardi doesn't intend to give him any starts there during interleague play. That's too bad, because with the way Posada has heated up, he's back looking like a nice mixed-league catcher.

- Eduardo Nunez should maintain a little value in AL-only leagues until Derek Jeter returns from his calf strain at the end of the month.

- Figuring they'd just pick a stopgap with Jesse Litsch (shoulder) about ready to begin his rehab assignment, I was quite surprised to see the Jays go to Zach Stewart as the replacement for Kyle Drabek last week. Stewart wasn't having a whole lot of success as a Double-A repeater, having gone 4-3 with a 4.39 ERA in 12 starts. Of course, the only reason he was in Double-A is because the Jays didn't want to expose him to the harsh conditions at Triple-A Las Vegas. That's also why they never put Drabek in Triple-A last year.

Stewart, the top property to come over from the Reds in the Scott Rolen deal, has a nice fastball-slider combination, but he still hasn't picked up a quality changeup. He began his pro career as a reliever, and while he does have potential as a starter, I think he is going to end up back in the pen. He might be a long-term closer, though. The Jays have decided to go slow with Litsch, so it looks like Stewart will make at least three more starts before his place in the rotation is reexamined. He's worth having stashed away in AL-only leagues, though I would take Miller over him.

- Jon Rauch hadn't blown a save since May 20, but Frank Francisco was manager John Farrell's choice to close on both Wednesday and Friday and got the job done both times. It's frustrating for fantasy leaguers, but Farrell is smart to ride the hot hand given that he lacks a true stopper at the back of his pen. Rauch, who took a loss on Thursday after entering a tie game and giving up two singles and a fielder's choice, is a little off at the moment and he lost his gig as a result.

- It's only 16 at-bats over six games, but the Indians have yet to get any production out of Cord Phelps since calling him up to challenge Orlando Cabrera at second base. If Phelps doesn't pick it up this week, maybe they'll try Jason Kipnis instead. Kipnis is hitting .328 with three homers this month and .298/.370/.517 for Triple-A Columbus overall. He's also 10-for-10 stealing bases. Kipnis, a converted outfielder, does struggle some at second base and may be left in Triple-A all year as a result. His bat is very promising, though, and he could emerge as a top fantasy second baseman down the line if he's able to stick at the position.

- Travis Hafner (oblique) returned Friday, but he's only looking at three starts this week as the Indians go on the road to play in San Francisco over the weekend. He's not expected to see any time at first base at all, even with Matt LaPorta (ankle) shelved.

- It sounds like Carlos Santana will get plenty of playing time at first base in LaPorta's place, opening up at-bats for Lou Marson behind the plate. Travis Buck could play first base the rest of the time, giving him value in AL-only leagues.

- The Tigers got creative to start interleague play, sticking Alex Avila at third base in order to keep both of their catchers in the lineup. Avila made an error, but it didn't sound like that'd stop Jim Leyland from trying the alignment again. Brandon Inge (mono) is due back sometime this week, but he won't necessarily be a full-timer at third base.

- The Royals sat Eric Hosmer, playing Wilson Betemit instead, on Thursday in anticipation of starting him every game this weekend in St. Louis. Manager Ned Yost apparently has no intention of giving Billy Butler any time in the field during interleague play. Now Butler is no Gold Glover at first base, but he did start 269 games there between 2009 and '10, plus eight more at the beginning of this season. To commit to him as a full-time DH and rob the Royals of their best hitter nine times per year makes very little sense.

- It looks like both Bruce Chen (ribcage) and Kyle Davies (shoulder) will rejoin Kansas City's rotation this week. Barring a poor showing Sunday, Danny Duffy seems likely to stick, so expect Felipe Paulino to return to the pen and Vin Mazzaro to head back to Triple-A.

- There's not a whole lot left to say about Scott Kazmir. Releasing him was the right move for the Angels, and as off as his delivery is right now, there's no hope that he'll be of use to a major league team within the next month. Maybe some pitching coach will get him straightened out to the point at which he could be an adequate fifth starter down the stretch, but his upside is mostly gone.

- There's no one in the Minnesota system capable of replacing Danny Valencia, so the Twins will stand by him even though he's hitting just .216/.278/.339 for the season. Luke Hughes is the team's next best option at third base, but Valencia is still the better bet offensively and Hughes would be a downgrade defensively. It's highly unlikely that they'll attempt to trade for a third baseman.

- Joe Mauer and Tsuyoshi Nishioka are back, but the Twins are expected to be without Jason Kubel (foot), Denard Span (concussion) and Jim Thome (quad) for at least another week. Justin Morneau (wrist) is eligible to return Saturday, but it'd be a surprise if he makes it back then.

- Oakland's Mark Ellis (hamstring) will return from the DL when eligible on Wednesday, but he shouldn't have a starting job waiting for him. The A's appear better off with Jemile Weeks at second base right now, what with Weeks hitting .361 with three triples and just two strikeouts in 36 at-bats to date.

- If Weeks does stay, then it could well be Daric Barton who goes. The A's don't have anyone else they're likely to send down. Barton is hitting just .211/.326/.263 and has been losing playing time to Conor Jackson. Jackson hasn't been so good himself at .265/.349/.331, but he'd be the everyday first baseman if Barton goes. I think that's probably the right move for Oakland; send Barton down for a few weeks and then hopefully trade Ellis to make room for him to return sometime around the All-Star break.

- Josh Willingham is day-to-day after aggravating an Achilles' tendon injury Friday. Mixed leaguers using him should turn to an alternative this week.

- While we've seen Ackley and Mike Moustakas promoted this month, the Rays have kept Desmond Jennings in Triple-A. The 24-year-old is up to .283/.378/.465 in 254 at-bats for Durham, and he's stolen 12 bases in 13 attempts. Still, the Rays held off all May long, even though Sam Fuld was really stinking up the joint, and now they have Fuld and Justin Ruggiano splitting time in left. It doesn't look like Jennings' opportunity will come before the end of June.

- Jeff Niemann (back) will make his return to Tampa Bay's rotation Monday against the Brewers. I'm kind of nervous about that one, but since he'll have two starts this week, he needs to be activated in AL-only leagues.

- The Rangers could soon give either Scott Feldman (knee) or Tommy Hunter (groin) a chance in Derek Holland's rotation spot. Holland flashes big-time talent, but he remains too inconsistent at age 24. Wednesday's loss to the Yankees marked three times in his last eight starts that he's walked at least five, and it was the fifth time this season that he's allowed at least five runs. He has a fine 5-2 record anyway, but the Rangers are 7-7 in his starts. While I doubt Feldman would prove to be an upgrade, the Rangers might as well give him a couple of starts to see if he can recapture his 2009 magic. If he fails, then he can be sent to the pen and Hunter can take over.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Interleague DH issues come into play

Adjust lineups accordingly as teams gain, lose DH for long stretches

On tap: Week 12 is the first of two comprised almost entirely of interleague games; Philadelphia Phillies at St. Louis Cardinals (Tuesday-Thursday) and Atlanta Braves at San Diego Padres (Friday-Sunday) are the only two intraleague series. That means six-game weeks for all 30 squads, and the fact that 20 of those teams will play Monday-Wednesday and be off Thursday means there might be some rotation shuffling before those weekend series.

The impact of the designated hitter -- or lack of it -- is always a significant fantasy storyline during interleague play. These American League teams will lose their DH due to all six games being played at National League parks:

Los Angeles Angels (@FLA-3, @LAD-3): They'll face two left-handed starters, so Bobby Abreu should sit those days, but Abreu might start at any of the three outfield positions in 2-3 of the others. Still, that's a sit in shallow mixed leagues.
Minnesota Twins (@SF-3, @MIL-3): The primary impact here is that the Twins won't have the DH to protect the fresh-off-the-DL Joe Mauer.
Oakland Athletics (@NYM-3, @PHI-3): At least two of their games are against lefty starters, so Hideki Matsui will sit those. He's expected to make two starts in right field, despite having not appeared in the field in 2011. Certainly he should sit in all fantasy leagues, having batted .211/.289/.447 so far in June.
Seattle Mariners (@WAS-3, @FLA-3*): Jack Cust -- who, like Matsui, has yet to play in the field -- sits, and Mike Carp and the defensively challenged Carlos Peguero will duke it out for left-field at-bats. Keep moving, nothing to see here.
Tampa Bay Rays (@MIL-3, @HOU-3): Johnny Damon played two of three games in left field in the May 20-22 series at Florida, but the fact that the Rays face three lefties in six games means he might sit on those days. Consider benching him.
Toronto Blue Jays (@ATL-3, @STL-3): Adam Lind is the name you care about, and the Blue Jays face four righty and two lefty starters. It might be obvious: Adam Lind gets the four at first versus righties, Juan Rivera the other two.

Note: Due to a U2 concert in Miami, the weekend Marlins-Mariners series will actually be played at Seattle's Safeco Field, but with the Marlins the "home team" and the games played under NL rules.

These AL teams will lose the DH for only three games:

Baltimore Orioles (@PIT-3, Mon-Wed): Vladimir Guerrero has yet to play in the field in 2011, so unless he sneaks in some games there in Washington from June 10-12, count on him only pinch-hitting in this series. A .283/.327/.391 hitter so far in June, Guerrero should be benched in most leagues.
Boston Red Sox (@PIT-3, Fri-Sun): David Ortiz could play first base, except that's Adrian Gonzalez's position, and Gonzalez is more valuable all around. But even given three starts, Ortiz is useful in AL-only and deeper mixed leagues.
Cleveland Indians (@SF-3, Fri-Sun): It's possible Grady Sizemore might sit the two games against lefty starters, because he can't touch them (.114/.200/.286 rates against left-handers in 2011).
Detroit Tigers (@LAD-3, Mon-Wed): The Tigers are considering using Alex Avila at third base, so there might not be much to worry about here. If Avila does sit, it'll only be because of the two opposing lefty starters. Still, he hits lefties.
New York Yankees (@CIN, Mon-Wed): It's difficult to imagine Jorge Posada starting at first base ahead of Mark Teixeira, so expect him to only pinch-hit.

These National League teams will benefit from the addition of the DH in American League parks. Number of games in AL parks listed first in parentheses:

Arizona Diamondbacks (6 games, @KC-3, @DET-3): Finally, a way for both Juan Miranda and Xavier Nady to start. The Diamondbacks could, however, rotate regulars at DH to open up a space for Willie Bloomquist.
Chicago Cubs (6, @CHW-3, @KC-3): Alfonso Soriano can be eased back in slowly as a DH, but there's nothing of note among the players who should receive additional at-bats as a result (Blake DeWitt types).
Cincinnati Reds (3, @BAL-3): Instead of a three-man rotation between Jonny Gomes, Chris Heisey and Fred Lewis in left field, now it's a three-man rotation at both left field and DH.
Colorado Rockies (6, @CLE-3, @NYY-3): Maybe DH winds up Jason Giambi's gig, but the Rockies would be smart to promote the hot-hitting Ian Stewart to eat up these additional at-bats.
Houston Astros (3, @TEX-3): Jason Bourgeois, come on down! Carlos Lee is a natural DH, opening up three starts for Bourgeois in left field.
New York Mets (3, @TEX-3): Carlos Beltran, at this stage of his career, is a natural DH, so who does that open right field for? Lucas Duda? Jason Pridie?
Padres (3, @BOS-3): Brad Hawpe, a .273/.362/.512 career hitter during interleague play, is the obvious choice to DH.
Washington Nationals (3, @CHW-3): Matt Stairs was born to DH, but Ivan Rodriguez might get the Friday start against lefty John Danks.

Among other Week 12 storylines are two "reunions": Red Sox slugger Adrian Gonzalez faces his former team, the Padres, during their week-opening series at Fenway Park. Meanwhile, struggling Chicago White Sox DH Adam Dunn battles his ex-mates, the Nationals, during their weekend series at U.S. Cellular Field.

Reminder: For those of you in weekly-transactions leagues, first pitch of Week 12 is 7:05 p.m. ET on Monday. Here are this week's other scheduled first pitches by day: Tuesday 7:05 p.m. ET, Wednesday 12:35 p.m. ET, Thursday 1:05 p.m. ET, Friday 7:05 p.m. ET, Saturday 1:05 p.m. ET, Sunday 1:05 p.m. ET.

Quick click by section, if you're seeking advice in a specific area:
Projected starting pitchers | Pitching strategies
Team advantages | Hitting strategies
Weather report | Week 12 pitcher rankings

Projected starting pitchers

The chart below lists each of the 30 MLB teams' schedules and projected starting pitchers, and provides a matchup rating for each day's starter. Pitchers scheduled to start twice this week are in gray/beige boxes.

<STYLE type=text/css>.mod-inline td img {margin: 0px;}</STYLE>
<TABLE style="MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 100%"><THEAD><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 30px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Team</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Mon
6/20</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Tue
6/21</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Wed
6/22</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Thu
6/23</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Fri
6/24</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sat
6/25</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sun
6/26</CENTER></TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
bal.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Arrieta
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Guthrie
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Britton
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
Matusz
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
Jakubasks
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
Arrieta
(RHP)
P: 4</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
bos.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
Miller
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
Beckett
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
Buchholz
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Lackey
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Lester
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Miller
(LHP)
P: 3</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
chw.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Floyd
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Buehrle
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Jackson
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Danks
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Humber
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Floyd
(RHP)
P: 6</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
cle.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Carmona
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Talbot
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Tomlin
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Carrasco
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Masterson
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Carmona
(RHP)
det.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Penny
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Scherzer
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Porcello
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
Coke
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
Verlander
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
Penny
(RHP)
P: 2</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
kan.gif
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
Hochevar
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
Francis
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
Paulino
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Mazzaro
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Duffy
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Hochevar
(RHP)
laa.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Weaver
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Santana
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Pineiro
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Haren
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Chatwood
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Weaver
(RHP)
P: 10</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
min.gif
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Pavano
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Blackburn
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Duensing
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Baker
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Liriano
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Pavano
(RHP)
nyy.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
Nova
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
Gordon
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
Garcia
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Burnett
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Sabathia
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Nova
(RHP)
P: 5</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
oak.gif
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Outman
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Gonzalez
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Godfrey
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Moscoso
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Cahill
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Outman
(LHP)
P: 7</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
sea.gif
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
Fister
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
Bedard
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
Pineda
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Hernandez
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Vargas
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Fister
(RHP)
tam.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Niemann
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Hellickson
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Price
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@HOU
Davis
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@HOU
Shields
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@HOU
Niemann
(RHP)
P: 5</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
tex.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Holland
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Wilson
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Lewis
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
Harrison
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
Ogando
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
Holland
(LHP)
tor.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
Romero
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
Stewart
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
Reyes
(LHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Morrow
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Villnueva
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Romero
(LHP)
ari.gif
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Saunders
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Kennedy
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Hudson
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
Duke
(LHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
Collmnter
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
Saunders
(LHP)
atl.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
Hudson
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
Minor
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
Hanson
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Lowe
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Jurrjens
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Hudson
(RHP)
chc.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Zambrano
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Garza
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Davis
(LHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Dempster
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Wells
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Zambrano
(RHP)
cin.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Cueto
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Wood
(LHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Leake
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Volquez
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Arroyo
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Cueto
(RHP)
col.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
Nicasio
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
Chacin
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
Hammel
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
Jimenez
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
Cook
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
Nicasio
(RHP)
fla.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Sanchez
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Vazquez
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Hand
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Nolasco
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Volstad
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Sanchez
(RHP)
P: 8</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
hou.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TEX
Happ
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TEX
Lyles
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TEX
Myers
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
W.Rdrguez
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Norris
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Happ
(LHP)
lad.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Kershaw
(LHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Billingsley
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Lilly
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
DeLaRosa
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Kuroda
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Kershaw
(LHP)
mil.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Narveson
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Greinke
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Marcum
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Wolf
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Gallardo
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Narveson
(LHP)
nym.gif
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Gee
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Dickey
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Capuano
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TEX
Pelfrey
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TEX
Niese
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TEX
Gee
(RHP)
phi.gif
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Halladay
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Lee
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Oswalt
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Hamels
(LHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
TBD

P: 1</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Halladay
(RHP)
pit.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
Morton
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
McDonald
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
Correia
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BOS
Maholm
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BOS
Karstens
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BOS
Morton
(RHP)
stl.gif
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
McClellan
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
Lohse
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
Carpenter
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
Westbrook
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
Garcia
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
McClellan
(RHP)
sdg.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Latos
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
LeBlanc
(LHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Richard
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Stauffer
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Moseley
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Latos
(RHP)
sfo.gif
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Bumgarner
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Vogelsong
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Lincecum
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
Sanchez
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
Cain
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
Bumgarner
(LHP)
was.gif
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Hernandez
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Lannan
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Marquis
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Zimmrmnn
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Gorzelanny
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Hernandez
(RHP)
P: 3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>P: The starting pitcher's matchup rating, which accounts for past history (three years' worth as well as past 21 days), opponent and ballpark. Ratings range from 1-10, with 10 representing the best possible matchup, statistically speaking, and 1 representing the worst.

Tristan's pitching strategies

• The Red Sox are probably happy they traded for Adrian Gonzalez, because that move depleted the opposing Padres' offense to the point that they have .231/.301/.335 team rates so far this season, which ranks them 29th, 29th and 30th in the majors. Advantage: Red Sox pitching, especially if you add in that the Pittsburgh Pirates, whom the Red Sox face during a weekend road series, don't rank much higher in those categories (.240/.312/.356). Andrew Miller is slated to make his Red Sox debut Monday, setting him up for a two-start week, and despite his 5.84 ERA and 1.74 WHIP during his five-year big league career, he's actually an AL-only sleeper accounting for those matchups. Consider this: Miller had a 22-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio in his past three starts for Triple-A Pawtucket, displaying a level of command he never showed in the majors (5.32 career walks per nine, 1.37 K's per walk). John Lackey, the only other Red Sox starter you'd question starting in fantasy, also warrants your attention during his start in Pittsburgh. He's 14-5 with a 2.96 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 29 career interleague games (28 starts).

• The Braves are the other team that benefits from facing the Padres, and they get a considerable pitching advantage in that their three-game series will be played at Petco Park. Opposing starters have 20 wins, 30 quality starts, a 2.36 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 8.05 K's-per-nine ratio in 40 turns at Petco this season, with the only one to allow more than four runs being Livan Hernandez (5 1/3 IP, 9 H, 6 ER on June 9). It's prime time for the three Braves starters assigned there -- Derek Lowe (Friday), Jair Jurrjens (Saturday) and Tim Hudson (Sunday) -- to buck their career trends at Petco; they have a 4.13 ERA and 1.47 WHIP in 14 games (13 starts) combined there. Mike Minor, the fill-in left-hander, is the one Braves starter who is a shaky fantasy play. He'll be matched up with the Blue Jays, who have the majors' leading OPS against lefties (.839); they're .292/.363/.475 hitters as a team against that side.

• Consider it good time for the Florida Marlins to be matched up with the Angels; the Angels are baseball's coldest team in June, averaging 2.54 runs per game with .227/.285/.308 team rates in 13 games, their .592 OPS dead last in the majors. Top that off with a three-game home series against the light-hitting Mariners and it's a "load-up" situation. Anibal Sanchez, a two-start pitcher who is 3-0 with a 3.18 ERA, 0.93 WHIP and 9.93 K's-per-nine ratio in seven home starts this season, ranks among the most valuable individual choices for Week 12. Even Brad Hand and Javier Vazquez -- neither of whom has been consistently reliable -- are streaming considerations. The risky play: Ricky Nolasco, though a matchup with the Mariners is about the best bounce-back assignment a pitcher could get.

Also favorable: Chicago White Sox, San Francisco Giants
Also unfavorable: Mets, Padres, Yankees

For more insight into Week 12 pitching matchups, see my rankings for the top 75 starting pitchers, as well as every two-start pitcher, at column's end.

Team advantages

The chart below lists each of the 30 teams' total number of scheduled games, home games and games versus right- and left-handed pitchers, and provides a matchup rating for the week's games in terms of overall offense, offense for left- and right-handed hitters and base stealing. Matchup ratings for each individual game are listed under the corresponding date.

<STYLE type=text/css>.mod-inline td img {margin: 0px;}</STYLE>
<TABLE style="MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 100%"><THEAD><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 30px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Team</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 12%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Games</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Overall
Rating</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Mon
6/20</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Tue
6/21</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Wed
6/22</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Thu
6/23</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Fri
6/24</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sat
6/25</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sun
6/26</CENTER></TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
bal.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>6 total
3 home
0 vs. L
6 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 8
L: 8
R: 6
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
H:
L: 10
R: 3
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
H:
L: 6
R: 5
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
H:
L: 7
R: 4
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
H:
L: 5
R: 8
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
H:
R: 2
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
H:
L: 4
R: 7
S: 2</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
bos.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>6 total
3 home
3 vs. L
3 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 7
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
H:
L: 3
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
H:
L: 1
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
H:
L: 9
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
H:
S: 7</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
chw.gif
6 home
2 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 7
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
H:
R: 1
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
H:
S: 1</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
cle.gif
3 home
2 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 3
L: 2
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
H:
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
H:
S: 5</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
det.gif
3 home
4 vs. L
2 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 5
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
H:
R: 10
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
H:
kan.gif
6 home
1 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 6
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ARI
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
S: 6</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
laa.gif
0 home
2 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 4
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 4</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
min.gif
0 home
3 vs. L
3 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 2
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
H:
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
H:
H:
H:
nyy.gif
3 home
1 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 7
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
H:
oak.gif
0 home
2 vs. L
3 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 1
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
H:
sea.gif
0 home
1 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 7
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
tam.gif
0 home
3 vs. L
3 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 3
S: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@HOU
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@HOU
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@HOU
H:
S: 8</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
tex.gif
6 home
2 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 5
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
H:
tor.gif
0 home
2 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 3
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
H:
H:
ari.gif
0 home
2 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 7
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
H:
atl.gif
3 home
2 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 5
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
H:
chc.gif
0 home
2 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 10
R: 9
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
H:
cin.gif
3 home
1 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 9
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
H:
H:
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
H:
col.gif
0 home
1 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 8
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
H:
fla.gif
6 home
1 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 4
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
H:
S: 3</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
hou.gif
3 home
2 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 8
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TEX
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TEX
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
lad.gif
6 home
0 vs. L
6 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 6
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
H:
H:
H:
mil.gif
6 home
2 vs. L
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
nym.gif
3 home
4 vs. L
2 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 6
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TEX
H:
H:
phi.gif
3 home
1 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 5
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
H:
H:
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
H:
S: 4</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
pit.gif
6 home
3 vs. L
3 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 7
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BOS
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BOS
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BOS
H:
S: 10</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
stl.gif
6 home
2 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 1
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
H:
H:
H:
H:
sdg.gif
3 home
1 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 3
S: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
H:
S: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
H:
sfo.gif
6 home
1 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 8
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
H:
was.gif
3 home
2 vs. L
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
S: 8</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Some of the data used to generate this chart is derived from Baseball Musings' Day-by-day database.

H: Hitters' matchup rating, which accounts for the opposing starting pitcher's past history (three years' worth as well as past 21 days) as well as ballpark factors. L: Hitters' matchup rating accounting only for left-handed hitters. R: Hitters' matchup rating accounting for only right-handed hitters. S: Base stealing matchup rating, which accounts for the opponent's catchers' ability to gun down opposing base stealers. Ratings range from 1-10, with 10 representing the best possible matchup, statistically speaking, and 1 representing the worst.

Tristan's hitting strategies

• A quick look at the team OPS leaders in the month of June reveals some familiar names: The Red Sox (1st, .870), Yankees (2nd, .852), Rockies (6th, .763), Brewers (7th, .759) … but did you know that the Orioles currently rank eighth (.750)? That's largely due to the hot hitting of left-side infielders J.J. Hardy (.404/.462/.723 in 12 games) and Mark Reynolds (.243/.378/.703, 5 HR, 11 RBI in 12 games), but familiar fantasy names like Adam Jones, Luke Scott and Matt Wieters have also been productive so far in the month. The Orioles face nothing but right-handed starters, two of them with historically extreme platoon splits (Charlie Morton on Monday, Bronson Arroyo on Saturday), so look to the left-handers wherever you can: Nick Markakis, Scott and Wieters. But use any of the aforementioned righties as well.

• The Reds get a bit of favorable scheduling this week, facing the soft sides of both the Yankees' and Orioles' rotations; they'll battle both opponents' No. 5 starters (Brian Gordon, Chris Jakubauskas). All due respect to Yankees fill-in Gordon, who pitched well in his June 16 start, but he still allowed 12 baserunners in his 5 1/3 innings, which isn't going to fly most times out. Total the Reds' six scheduled opposing starters and they've got a 4.30 ERA, 1.48 WHIP and 1.53 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 2011, mediocre numbers in this year's pitching-rich game. Both of their catchers continue to hit despite splitting the starts almost evenly: Ryan Hanigan is a .333/.455/.333 hitter in 11 games in June, Ramon Hernandez a .333/.480/.389 hitter in six games in the month. And in Hernandez's case, he's a .318/.385/.564 hitter against right-handers, significant in that the Reds are scheduled to face five righty starters. In two-catcher leagues, both are worth considering.

• Avoid Cardinals hitters if you can, with the obvious exception of Albert Pujols. Pujols is a .308/.419/.788 hitter in the month of June; the rest of the team has .213/.271/.339 rates combined in 14 games. The healthy return of Matt Holliday helps, but this is a week when the Cardinals will face Phillies aces Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee and Roy Oswalt, not to mention two talented Blue Jays in Brandon Morrow (Friday) and Ricky Romero (Sunday). Pujols and Holliday are musts -- that's regardless of matchup in any given week -- and Lance Berkman (6 HR, 12 RBIs in 12 games in June) is worth using in all but the shallowest leagues, but outside of those three, there isn't much here worth activating this week.

Also favorable: Cubs, Giants, Red Sox, White Sox
Also unfavorable: Blue Jays, Nationals, Twins

Weather report

Weatherproof games: Rays at Astros (3, Fri-Sun); Rays at Brewers (3, Mon-Wed); Twins at Brewers (3, Fri-Sun); Mariners at Marlins (3, Fri-Sun).

Tristan's Week 12 pitcher rankings: Top 75

Rankings take into account several factors: the pitcher's raw talent, historical and recent performance; number of starts; strength of opponent(s); and ballpark factors. Be aware that different leagues might emphasize different pitching statistics that could change these rankings slightly. These are based upon a fairly standard Rotisserie scoring system, like ESPN's.

1. Roy Halladay (PHI) -- Tue-@STL (McClellan), Sun-OAK (Outman)
2. Jered Weaver (LAA) -- Mon-@FLA (Sanchez), Sun-@LAD (Kershaw)
3. Clayton Kershaw (LAD) -- Mon-DET (Penny), Sun-LAA (Weaver)
4. Anibal Sanchez (FLA) -- Mon-LAA (Weaver), Sun-SEA (Fister)
5. Justin Verlander (DET) -- Sat-ARI (Collmenter)
6. Cole Hamels (PHI) -- Fri-OAK (Moscoso)
7. Cliff Lee (PHI) -- Wed-@STL (Lohse)
8. Josh Beckett (BOS) -- Tue-SD (LeBlanc)
9. Felix Hernandez (SEA) -- Fri-@FLA (Nolasco)
10. Jhoulys Chacin (COL) -- Tue-@CLE (Talbot)
11. CC Sabathia (NYY) -- Sat-COL (Cook)
12. Matt Cain (SF) -- Sat-CLE (Masterson)
13. Jon Lester (BOS) -- Sat-@PIT (Karstens)
14. Madison Bumgarner (SF) -- Tue-MIN (Pavano), Sun-CLE (Carmona)
15. Tim Lincecum (SF) -- Thu-MIN (Duensing)
16. Mat Latos (SD) -- Mon-@BOS (Miller), Sun-ATL (Hudson)
17. Shaun Marcum (MIL) -- Wed-TB (Price)
18. Tim Hudson (ATL) -- Mon-TOR (Romero), Sun-@SD (Latos)
19. C.J. Wilson (TEX) -- Tue-HOU (Lyles)
20. Ricky Romero (TOR) -- Mon-@ATL (Hudson), Sun-@STL (McClellan)
21. Tommy Hanson (ATL) -- Wed-TOR (Reyes)
22. Yovani Gallardo (MIL) -- Sat-MIN (Liriano)
23. Johnny Cueto (CIN) -- Mon-NYY (Nova), Sun-@BAL (Arrieta)
24. Erik Bedard (SEA) -- Wed-@WAS (Lannan)
25. Zack Greinke (MIL) -- Tue-TB (Hellickson)
26. Jair Jurrjens (ATL) -- Sat-@SD (Moseley)
27. David Price (TB) -- Wed-@MIL (Marcum)
28. Jaime Garcia (STL) -- Sat-TOR (Villanueva)
29. Clay Buchholz (BOS) -- Wed-SD (Richard)
30. Ryan Vogelsong (SF) -- Wed-MIN (Blackburn)
31. Chris Carpenter (STL) -- Thu-PHI (Oswalt)
32. Alexi Ogando (TEX) -- Sat-NYM (Niese)
33. Tim Stauffer (SD) -- Fri-ATL (Lowe)
34. Gavin Floyd (CHW) -- Mon-CHC (Zambrano), Sun-WAS (Hernandez)
35. Dan Haren (LAA) -- Fri-@LAD (De La Rosa)
36. Daniel Hudson (ARI) -- Thu-@KC (Paulino)
37. Jordan Zimmermann (WAS) -- Fri-@CHW (Danks)
38. Ian Kennedy (ARI) -- Wed-@KC (Francis)
39. Jonathan Sanchez (SF) -- Fri-CLE (Carrasco)
40. Roy Oswalt (PHI) -- Thu-@STL (Carpenter)
41. Carlos Zambrano (CHC) -- Mon-@CHW (Floyd), Sun-@KC (Hochevar)
42. John Danks (CHW) -- Fri-WAS (Zimmermann)
43. Philip Humber (CHW) -- Sat-WAS (Gorzelanny)
44. Jeremy Hellickson (TB) -- Tue-@MIL (Greinke)
45. Francisco Liriano (MIN) -- Sat-@MIL (Gallardo)
46. Ted Lilly (LAD) -- Wed-DET (Porcello)
47. Michael Pineda (SEA) -- Thu-@WAS (Marquis)
48. Dillon Gee (NYM) -- Tue-OAK (Outman), Sun-@TEX (Holland)
49. Bud Norris (HOU) -- Sat-TB (Shields)
50. Derek Lowe (ATL) -- Fri-@SD (Stauffer)
51. Hiroki Kuroda (LAD) -- Sat-LAA (Chatwood)
52. Randy Wolf (MIL) -- Fri-MIN (Baker)
53. Wandy Rodriguez (HOU) -- Fri-TB (Davis)
54. Doug Fister (SEA) -- Tue-@WAS (Hernandez), Sun-@FLA (Sanchez)
55. Ubaldo Jimenez (COL) -- Fri-@NYY (Burnett)
56. Scott Baker (MIN) -- Fri-@MIL (Wolf)
57. Gio Gonzalez (OAK) -- Wed-@NYM (Dickey)
58. Jake Arrieta (BAL) -- Mon-@PIT (Morton), Sun-CIN (Cueto)
59. Jason Vargas (SEA) -- Sat-@FLA (Volstad)
60. Carlos Carrasco (CLE) -- Fri-@SF (Sanchez)
61. Chris Narveson (MIL) -- Mon-TB (Niemann), Sun-MIN (Pavano)
62. Max Scherzer (DET) -- Tue-@LAD (Billingsley)
63. Matt Garza (CHC) -- Tue-@CHW (Buehrle)
64. James Shields (TB) -- Sat-@HOU (Norris)
65. Ryan Dempster (CHC) -- Fri-@KC (Mazzaro)
66. Carl Pavano (MIN) -- Tue-@SF (Bumgarner), Sun-@MIL (Narveson)
67. Chris Capuano (NYM) -- Thu-OAK (Godfrey)
68. Justin Masterson (CLE) -- Sat-@SF (Cain)
69. Zach Britton (BAL) -- Wed-@PIT (Correia)
70. Ricky Nolasco (FLA) -- Fri-SEA (Hernandez)
71. R.A. Dickey (NYM) -- Wed-OAK (Gonzalez)
72. Edinson Volquez (CIN) -- Fri-@BAL (Matusz)
73. Trevor Cahill (OAK) -- Sat-@PHI (TBD)
74. A.J. Burnett (NYY) -- Fri-COL (Jimenez)
75. Chad Billingsley (LAD) -- Tue-DET (Scherzer)

Two-start options for AL-/NL-only leagues:
J.A. Happ (HOU) -- Mon-@TEX (Holland), Sun-TB (Niemann)
Livan Hernandez (WAS) -- Tue-SEA (Fister), Sun-@CHW (Floyd)
Derek Holland (TEX) -- Mon-HOU (Happ), Sun-NYM (Gee)
Kyle McClellan (STL) -- Tue-PHI (Halladay), Sun-TOR (Romero)
Andrew Miller (BOS) -- Mon-SD (Latos), Sun-@PIT (Morton)
Jeff Niemann (TB) -- Mon-@MIL (Narveson), Sun-@HOU (Happ)
Josh Outman (OAK) -- Tue-@NYM (Gee), Sun-@PHI (Halladay)

No-thank-yous, among two-starts:
Fausto Carmona (CLE) -- Mon-COL (Nicasio), Sun-@SF (Bumgarner)
Luke Hochevar (KC) -- Tue-ARI (Saunders), Sun-CHC (Zambrano)
Charlie Morton (PIT) -- Mon-BAL (Arrieta), Sun-BOS (Miller)
Juan Nicasio (COL) -- Mon-@CLE (Carmona), Sun-@NYY (Nova)
Ivan Nova (NYY) -- Mon-@CIN (Cueto), Sun-COL (Nicasio)
Brad Penny (DET) -- Mon-@LAD (Kershaw), Sun-ARI (Saunders)
Joe Saunders (ARI) -- Tue-@KC (Hochevar), Sun-@DET (Penny)

One-start sleepers:
Mark Buehrle (CHW) -- Tue-CHC (Garza)
Kevin Correia (PIT) -- Wed-BAL (Britton)
Jeremy Guthrie (BAL) -- Tue-@PIT (McDonald)
Jason Hammel (COL) -- Wed-@CLE (Tomlin)
Matt Harrison (TEX) -- Fri-NYM (Pelfrey)
John Lackey (BOS) -- Fri-@PIT (Maholm)
John Lannan (WAS) -- Wed-SEA (Bedard
Randy Wells (CHC) -- Sat-@KC (Duffy)

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Examining the M's: Ichiro is heating up
in.gif

Eric Karabell

I readily admit that at this time a week ago I looked closely at the sagging statistics being provided by Seattle Mariners outfielder Ichiro Suzuki and wondered if the end was near. The great Ichiro, about as sure a thing as there has been for batting average reliability in the real and fantasy world over the past decade, was hitting .248, scoring fewer runs than even last season, not making all the plays in right field and being ripped by the local media. It sure looked like something was awry for the 37-year-old hit machine.

I own Ichiro in two leagues, one in which I have batting average and stolen bases pretty much figured out - thank you, Matt Kemp! - and had a trade offer for a pitcher I needed. I still declined the offer. Today, five consecutive multi-hit games and 21 batting average points later, with four stolen bases along the way, I'm pleased. You might be thinking, so what, I should have traded from excess anyway. But I view it as now I can get a better pitcher in a trade, or keep Ichiro and move someone else.

Suzuki was outside the top 50 outfielders on the ESPN Player Rater just one week ago, and because of his age, people simply assumed he was done. I even entertained the thought. Now he's 32nd on the Player Rater among outfielders, back on pace for 178 hits, 82 runs and 42 stolen bases. It does feel good to have the old Ichiro back.
It's not wise to bet against Ichiro. Perhaps the occasional day off is all he needs. Or maybe he just needs a bit more luck. For years, Ichiro's batting average on balls in play has defied logic. His career BABIP is over .350, a good 50-plus points above league average. This year it's .290. That doesn't mean it will go way up, and some of the many ground balls he's hitting -- he's hitting a higher percentage of them compared to past seasons -- will find their way to the outfield. But I wouldn't bet against it, either. I think he can still be a top-20 outfielder this season.
The Mariners are a terrific story, entering the weekend a half game out of first place in the AL West. A few days ago on the Baseball Today podcast, I compared these AL West contenders to last season's San Diego Padres, another upstart team that can't score runs but have the requisite pitching and defense to avoid losing streaks. I compared Michael Pineda to the Padres' Mat Latos. Pineda actually ranks the highest among all Mariners on the Player Rater, even above the great Felix Hernandez. The rookie struggled in his last outing, his first bogey of the season really, and he hasn't won in nearly a month, but I expect he'll pitch well at home against the Philadelphia Phillies on Friday night. Fantasy owners worry about a pending innings limit, and the Mariners acknowledge the right-hander will be treated carefully in the final month or two. I see this situation as similar to Latos in 2010; the Padres wanted to ease his workload, but they were in first place. They couldn't. So they kept him pitching, and Latos struggled in September. Perhaps Pineda will run out of gas, but I won't sell high in June for that reason. Just have depth in September.
Meanwhile, Erik Bedard is showing no signs of injury. He's been terrific, allowing only 11 earned runs in his past nine outings, going 4-0 with a 1.70 ERA and sub-1.00 WHIP. By July 4 he should make his 16th start, which would be his most since 2007! I know plenty of skeptics in the fantasy world that presume an injury is coming, but I'm thinking positively about him. And this guy always seems to pitch well when he's pitching. Finally, I own the underrated Jason Vargas and Doug Fister on numerous teams, colleague Tristan H. Cockcroft sings the praises of the rotation's depth on a regular basis and closer Brandon League leads the AL in saves.
Friday night will feature the debut of highly touted hitting prospect Dustin Ackley. He'll play second base and should hit second in the order, and while I'll stop a bit short of comparing his potential for the final three months to what the Florida Marlins' Chris Coghlan did in 2009 -- he led the majors in hits in the second half -- I do see similarities. They're lefty hitters with, at least for Coghlan at the time, a firm grasp of the strike zone. Coghlan just hasn't been the same since. Ackley is no lock to succeed, but I think he will be a top-15 second baseman the rest of the way, capable of hitting .300 with double-digit steals, justifying his place on the most-added list (his ownership is up 17.7 percent in the past week). The rest of the offense isn't great, but first baseman Justin Smoak leads the team in home runs and RBIs, and did so in May with four and 14, respectively, though he also hit .229 that month. I don't think he's officially Carlos Pena yet, but be aware if you own him, you might need an Ichiro-like player to balance his batting average. Smoak should hit 25 home runs, though. Left field has been a black hole this season, but Carlos Peguero has three home runs and 10 runs scored this month, and Mike Carp and Greg Halman interest me a tad for AL-only formats. Perhaps one of these guys will seize the job. Catcher Miguel Olivo ranks sixth on the Player Rater for the season at his position, buoyed by his 10 home runs. Hey, don't hate on the Mariners. It's not all as sad as what has happened to Chone Figgins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casinorater
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com