MLB Fantasy News 2011

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fred Who? Barney is the Man! Barney continues to star while Dustin Moseley's success looks more like Dust in the Wind. A look at those stories and more in this week's Week That Was.

Darwin Barney: Darwin Barney just keeps on keepin' on. The Cubbies second sacker tallied another three hits and three RBI on Friday. For the season, the surprise starter is raking at .326 clip with 22 runs, 17 RBI and a couple of swipes. It is performances like these – ones that seemingly come out of nowhere – that lead to roto titles. So, was this foreseeable? Actually, yes. In 2009, Barney hit .318 at AA. In 2010, he hit .299 at AAA. So there clearly was a track record of hitting for average. The only question was whether he would get a chance to play. Once that was announced, owners should have pounced. If he is available in your NL only league, grab him.

Dustin Moseley: Dustin Moseley's magical carpet ride seems to have crash landed. Moseley got tattooed last night, giving up six runs, nine hits and two walks in just four innings. Ok, say it with me – SELL!! Sell while the ERA sits at a strong 3.40. Moseley simply is nothing special. He will bounce around the majors for a number of years still and will even post a few good starts here and there. However, even Petco cannot convert ehhh to ahhh. San Diego has a number of younger, more talented arms they should be trying out. That will happen sooner rather than later. Crow about how Petco makes scrub pitchers stars, highlight the 3.40 ERA and sell while the window is still open. It will not be for long.

Fernando Martinez: Fernando Martinez got himself noticed last night by coming off the bench and going yard. Those in keeper leagues who haven't taken notice, you should. Martinez, despite seeming to have been around forever, is just 22 and not even at the age where players make the show. The talent is there and it will come out. So, if you can store him on reserve, do it. For those of you in one year NL only leagues, is it hard to see the Mets dealing Beltran (or Beltran getting hurt)? Is it hard to fathom that Angel Pagan really isn't Rickey Henderson? Do you really think that Jason Pridie is the answer? I think you get the point – there will be opportunity for FMart in the second half. Speculate on the cheap now.

Doug Fister: Doug Fister was awesome last night, giving up just four hits and two runs over eight innings against Schultz's red hot Indians. I have to admit it, when my NFBC partner, ESPN's own Nate Ravitz, extolled the virtues of Fister, I was, to say the least, dismissive. Ok, I will say it outright – you were right Nate! Seriously, I am starting to see that Fister is more than just a pitcher taking advantage of a cavernous park. With a 33/13 k/bb and an ERA of 3.22, Fister could help a lot of teams. The k/bb is not a fluke as he posted a 93/32 last year and 79/11 in AAA in 2009. With that key indicator locked down and 5 of the last 7 starts being quite strong, Fister has become a buy in my book.

Justin Duchscherer: Justin Duchscherer has finally toed the rubber in a real game – albeit an extended spring training game. According to reports right here at Rotoworld, the Duch threw 23 of his 26 pitches for strikes. Given that control is the toughest thing for a pitcher to get back after injury this is a big sign. Yes, Duch is always hurt and yes, the Orioles will be cautious. However, if you are in a deep league, you could do a lot worse than speculating on the Duch. After all, when he is on the mound, he is really pretty good. His career numbers show an almost 3/1 K/BB, an ERA of 3.13 and a WHIP of 1.14. Who couldn't use stats like that in the second half?

Ian Stewart: Ian Stewart's nightmare season continued as the Rockies shipped him back to the minors. You can hardly blame the team as Stewart is hitting an truly atrocious .064. So, what are the roto-effects? First, look for Ty Wigginton to get a lot of PT and put up classic Wiggy numbers (20+ HR and decent counting numbers). Also, it is time to cut bait on Stewart unless you have a huge reserve and can stash him. He has never hit .260 or better in the bigs and strikes out a ton. There simply are no signs that Ian will bounce back any time soon.

Andres Torres: Andres Torres had a big day Friday, going 3-5 with a triple and a swipe. Since coming off of the shelf, Torres is 7-15, so obviously, he will play and needs to be active in all formats. However, he is a player with major risk. The Giants have outfielders all over the place, so they do not need to be patient if Torres hits a slump. Also, Torres is one of those players who had his career breakout year at 32 – rarely a sign of long term success. So, if you own Andres, now is the time to sell. Market away.

Scott Rolen: Scott Rolen came off the DL Friday. The question now becomes which Scott Rolen will show up? Will the Reds get the guy who was hitting .217 before getting hurt or the guy who .284 with 20 HR last year. Honestly, I just do not know. However, I do know that I avoid older injury prone players unless the price is bargain basement. If I owned Rolen, I would wait for a couple of good games and then sell. My gut says this will be a frustrating injury-filled year for the Reds vet.

Delmon Young: The light hitting twins got a boost Friday with the return of Delmon Young from the DL. Before getting hurt, Young couldn't hit a beach ball with a broom, hitting only .228 with no home runs. Unlike Rolen above, Delmon poses a major buy low opportunity. First, he is just 25 and has posted a .290+ batting average in his 4+ years in the big leagues. Bottom line is the best is yet to come for Young. He will hit and hit a lot. The only question is whether the woeful Twins offense will drag him down.

Logan Morrison: Sticking with returns from the shelf, the Fish activated Logan Morrison in time for the game Friday. Prior to getting hurt LoMo was raking at a .327. Moreover, he had hit 4 HR already – doubling his 2010 total. Oh, and he hit number 5 last night – a very good sign indeed. Buy while you still can.

And last, but not least, Schultz says: "For every 100,000 words written about rotisserie baseball, 99,990 of them are about the players you should acquire, drop, trade and keep your eye on. Very rarely do we talk about the actual game of rotisserie baseball and the rules that govern them. No surprise there, David Foster Wallace was the only person that could make a dissertation on rules and the bureaucracy that creates them interesting and he found the IRS a more interesting topic than fantasy sports. Plus, every league has different rules, so a discussion on the topic can often have limited relevance. At a bare minimum, at the beginning of the season, every owner should have a legitimate chance to win and, over the course of the season, needs to know that they are being treated equally. Terrible league rules and/or a weak commissioner are fatal to a league's success, prompting unnecessary fights and an unmanageable turnover of owners. Fortunately, you have access to the mind of the greatest commissioner in the history of rotisserie baseball. Yes, Schultz is more than Glenn Colton's witty friend.

The injury to Kendrys Morales raises the interesting issue of how the failure to have proper rules in place can jeopardize the competitive balance. In redraft leagues, an injury to someone like Morales - a roto-gamechanging talent - is a nonissue, he can be cut and life goes on. What about keeper leagues? In auction leagues that are salary driven, this presents a perplexing conundrum. Releasing someone like Morales simply hands him to someone as a free agent who can keep him for 2012 at a bargain basement price. On the other hand, if you keep him to prevent some other team from netting a nice keeper, you're clogging up a roster spot that could be used to help you for this year or next. The easiest and quite possibly only fair way to address this situation is to institute a rule preventing players on the disabled list from being acquired as free agents. The goal of any auction league should be to get every player to market value as soon as possible. It may take 5 or 6 years for some players (think Albert Pujols coming out of nowhere to be the best hitter in baseball) but good foresight should be reasonably rewarded. Assuming Morales, or any player of his stature that suffers a year-ending injury, returns the next year, he goes back into the auction and goes for whatever the market will bear. No one gets a cheap bargain and no one gets stuck with the onus of being the sole protector of your league's integrity.

In a realistic sense, if you were counting on Morales, you've already addressed his absence over the first six weeks of the season. There's no need to rush and pick up Eric Hosmer (who is the real deal) or Mark Trumbo, although both would only be available if you play in an inattentive or slow-witted league.

One last thing, if you eliminate the first game of the season, after last night Fausto Carmona has a 2.56 ERA and a 1.03 WHIP while pitching for the team with the best record in the American League. Once you admit you were wrong about Carmona and the Indians, the incessant Tribe thumping will stop (or at least go down to a dull whoop). Until then, it's Tribe Time baby. It's Tribe Time. "

Response: Very interesting roto legalisms from the baron of the bottom of the page. I agree that in keeper leagues, injured players should not be FAAB-able. Should they be tradeable? I would argue no for the same reason, but it does illustrate the need to have a proper constitution in place. For those whose leagues don't, I highly recommend going to the Tout Wars site, www.toutwars.com, and checking out the constitution. It will give you a head start.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
AL Notes: Punting Pierre
The Rangers lost center fielder Julio Borbon to a hamstring injury Friday, but their outfield situation is about to get a whole lot better. Nelson Cruz (quad) is expected to begin a rehab assignment Monday and come off the DL on Friday, while Josh Hamilton could return soon thereafter.

Hamilton will have a CT scan on his broken humerus Wednesday. If it shows the bone is healed, he'll begin a rehab assignment a day or two afterwards. The Dallas Morning News speculates that he'll return as a DH for the series beginning May 27. My guess is that he'll be activated four days earlier -- a week from Monday -- if he gets off to a fast start in the minors.

With Borbon out, the Rangers are looking at an outfield of David Murphy in left, Endy Chavez in center and Mitch Moreland in right for the next few days. When Cruz returns, the Rangers will give Murphy time in center and Moreland starts at first, costing Chavez and Mike Napoli at-bats. If Hamilton returns as a full-time DH for a week or two, then Michael Young will be the full-timer at first base, leaving Napoli with little to do. Chris Davis could be demoted at that point.

American League Notes

- The first taste of interleague play comes this weekend and the following AL teams will be playing three games in NL parks: Detroit, Minnesota, Oakland, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Texas.

The Tigers will probably start Victor Martinez twice and Alex Avila once behind the plate next weekend.

The Twins will move Jason Kubel to the outfield. Michael Cuddyer will probably sit at least once, but he will shift to second base for a game or two.

The A's will likely give Hideki Matsui one start in left field over Josh Willingham, but he's a weaker play than usual.

The Mariners will sit Jack Cust at least twice.

The Rays figure to shift Johnny Damon to left field. It's a good excuse for any mixed leaguers holding on to Sam Fuld to move on now.

The Rangers, as mentioned, will play Young at first. Napoli is likely to get one start behind the plate.

- Tampa Bay decided against giving Brandon Guyer a real shot, even after he homered in his major league debut. I can't imagine they'll stick with Fuld for much longer, as he's all of the way down to .245/.300/.361 for the year now. Brandon Jennings is hitting .300/.414/.492 in Triple-A, and the Rays wouldn't lose anything defensively by going to him in left. Guyer would be a downgrade, though he's far from bad out there. I really think Jennings will get the call within a week or two.

- Writing this Saturday night while the Red Sox and Yankees are dueling, I'm not exactly sure what to make of the Jorge Posada news at the moment. There's talk of back stiffness, but Yankees sources believe he refused to play against Boston after manager Joe Girardi informed him that he'd bat ninth for the first time in 12 years. No one seems to think Posada will choose retirement, though it sounds like plenty of Yankee fans would love to see him replaced by Jesus Montero. I still think Posada is going to hit this year. With his power and patience, he only needs to bat .250 or so to be a solid DH. He's at .165 right now, so, yeah, that's not working. But I'm not giving up on him, and I don't think the Yankees were ready to do so either. If they do now, it's because Saturday's actions forced their hands.

- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen badly wants Juan Pierre to succeed in left field, but the team still has to be weighing a change. Jordan Danks, John's younger brother, has been showing big-time power at Triple-A Charlotte and is up to .245/.341/.557 with eight homers and 25 RBI in 106 at-bats. Dayan Viciedo is playing left field for Charlotte most days and is hitting .304/.345/.486 in 138 at-bats. According to reports, Viciedo, who signed with the White Sox as a third baseman, hasn't displayed much range in left field, so he'd be a clear downgrade from Pierre defensively. Danks would probably be an upgrade there, but he does have big issues making contact (33 strikeouts in 31 games) and I don't think he'd hit for average in the majors. It still wouldn't be a bad idea for the White Sox to give Danks a try, but they'll probably give Pierre a couple of more weeks first.

- Sergio Santos may not be getting many saves, but he's up to 18 scoreless innings for the season. Although I like the way Matt Thornton is throwing now, it doesn't look like there will be much reason for the White Sox to switch closers anytime soon.

- I dropped some hints on Twitter a couple of weeks ago, but now I've officially soured on Wade Davis. His ERA is down from 4.07 as a rookie to 3.47 this year, but his velocity and his swings and misses are well down too. He's averaging just 90.2 mph with his fastball, according to Fangraphs, down from 92.3 mph last year, and he's still not showing the plus curve that helped make him a force in the minors. As a result, he's struck out just 23 batters in 49 1/3 innings for the season. He's kept the ERA down by avoiding the home run ball, but that changed on Saturday, as he allowed his third and fourth bombs of the season. There was no reason to think it'd last anyway, as he's getting fewer grounders than he did when he gave up 24 homers in 168 innings last season.

I'm not saying there's no hope for Davis in 2012 and beyond, but unless he regains some velocity or comes up with a better breaking ball, his 2011 ERA is going to keep climbing steadily.

- J.P. Howell is likely to come off the DL this week after missing more than a year with shoulder problems. The left-hander saved 17 games for the Rays in 2009, so he could emerge as a contender for saves if (well, when) Kyle Farnsworth implodes. He might be a liability in the short term, but he'd be nice to have stashed away in AL-only leagues.

- With Kendrys Morales (ankle) out for the season, Mark Trumbo has a real shot at finishing with 20 homers and 80 RBI. Still, I think he's a sell-high candidate. I remain skeptical that he's going to make enough contact to maintain a decent average. He rarely walks, so even with his power, he's going to be a major liability if he turns out to be a .240 hitter. The Angels shouldn't have any immediate plans to replace him, but they might be able to find a cheap upgrade at first base in July.

- Vernon Wells' at-bats are going to Alberto Callaspo as a result of the shift of Howie Kendrick to left field. Wells will miss another full week with his groin strain.

- Hank Conger is taking a seat against the current string of lefties the Angels are facing. Although Conger is a switch-hitter, manager Mike Scioscia has used him only against righties to date. Hopefully that will change at some point. Jeff Mathis isn't exactly feasting against left-handers with his .143/.172/.179 line in 28 at-bats.

- Jordan Walden is looking pretty shaky as of late, having blown two save chances and surrendered runs in three of his last five appearances. Fernando Rodney certainly isn't taking advantage, though, as he's allowed four runs in 5 2/3 innings this month. If Walden's command issues cost him the gig at some point, it might be Scott Downs who takes over the Angels' closer. However, Walden remains the best bet in the team's pen.

- Luke Scott is slumping since the announcement that he has a partially torn labrum in his shoulder, and while he doesn't want to go on the disabled list, his bat may make the decision for him if he can't regain his power stroke. The Orioles would go with Felix Pie their primary left fielder in that event. Nolan Reimold has done nothing to justify a callup while hitting .226/.321/.365 in Triple-A.

- The Tigers put Magglio Ordonez (ankle) back on the DL on Friday and called up Andy Dirks, but they chose not to give Dirks a start in his first two days on the roster. It'd certainly make sense for them to give the left-handed-hitting Dirks a try against righties, considering that he was hitting .348/.386/.576 with five homers and eight steals in 92 at-bats against them in Triple-A. It doesn't come as much of a surprise that Ryan Raburn has struggled against righties while playing regularly for the first time in his career, and if Dirks plays up to his ability, he should have a chance of lasting as a platoon outfielder following Ordonez's return. He's worth owning in AL-only leagues.

- The Red Sox are standing by John Lackey after his ERA ballooned to 8.01 on Wednesday. He actually deserved better that night, and I have no idea what Terry Francona was thinking in letting him give up five runs in the seventh inning, bringing his total for the night to nine runs. I still don't see why Lackey can't turn it around and reemerge as the adequate third starter he was last year. Obviously, though, his head isn't really in it right now (and for good reason). There's no alternative left but to bench him in AL-only leagues. If he struggles again this week, the Red Sox will probably stash him on the DL and give his rotation spot to Tim Wakefield for a little while.

- Minnesota got Delmon Young back Friday, but it doesn't look Joe Mauer (knee), Jim Thome (oblique) or Tsuyoshi Nishioka (leg) will return this week. Fourth outfielder Jason Repko (quad) is expected back, possibly on Friday. He'll likely replace Ben Revere on the roster.

- Even with Adam Lind (back) out of action all week, the Blue Jays stuck with 13 pitchers. There's simply no one from the group they want to demote. It looks like Jayson Nix will come off the DL on Monday, so either the Jays will finally dismiss that extra pitcher or David Cooper will get the boot. Cooper is batting just .121 and he made an error that led to a run Saturday, so even if he does survive Nix's return, it's hard to imagine him lasting much longer.

- We can assume that Cooper won't be replaced by Travis Snider right now. Snider had a great first week at Triple-A Las Vegas, but he's hitless in his last four games and he still doesn't have a homer in 55 at-bats. Las Vegas is an outstanding environment for power hitters, so that Snider has managed just a pair of doubles in 10 home games isn't a good sign.

- Tommy Hunter's setback with his strained groin means both Derek Holland and Matt Harrison are safe for a little while longer. It looks like he's probably going to miss another month. The Rangers have decided to try Scott Feldman (knee) as a starter as he begins his rehab assignment this week, and if he impresses, he could be inserted into the rotation at the end of May. I still have hopes for Holland, but he does need to step it up. Saturday's quality start against the Angels was just his fourth in eight tries. Harrison is 5-for-7 in that category.

- While so much has gone so right for the Royals this season, Joakim Soria's struggles are of definite concern. His fastball is down about two mph, and he's getting only about half as many swinging strikes as usual. The Royals say it's mechanics and that they've spotted the flaw in his delivery. If that's the case, maybe things will get better over these next two weeks. I don't suspect that he'll pitch badly enough to lose his job at any point, but an injury can't be ruled out. Aaron Crow and Jeremy Jeffress would be the candidates to step into his role. If the Royals needed to switch closers tomorrow, Crow would probably be the choice. However, I do like Jeffress's chances of overtaking him as time goes on.

- With Dallas Braden done for the season because of a torn shoulder capsule, the A's are now looking at Tyson Ross as a permanent fifth starter. I was a bit skeptical, in part because he didn't show a changeup as a reliever last year. However, the change is proving to be a legitimate third pitch for him. Also key is that he's throwing just as hard as a starter that he did while airing it out for a couple of innings at a time last year. I'm not sure he's a mixed-league starter, but it looks like he'll be quite an asset in AL-only leagues.

Since these are the A's, it's worth trying to figure out who is next on the depth chart, too. Bobby Cramer, who is getting stretched back out in the minors after opening the season in Oakland's pen, has a 4.60 ERA in four starts for Triple-A Sacramento. Josh Outman, who I really liked as a sleeper as he completed his comeback from Tommy John surgery, has struggled for the River Cats, walking 24 and amassing a 5.28 ERA in 30 2/3 innings. If the A's were to lose a starter within the next few weeks, my guess is that they'd go to Guillermo Moscoso. The 27-year-old Moscoso has pitched 12 scoreless innings his last two times out and has a 40/10 K/BB ratio to go along with his 3.13 ERA in 37 1/3 IP for Sacramento. He'd be worth trying in AL-only leagues if he gets the call.

- I've been focused on Kevin Kouzmanoff since day one, but how much more Mark Ellis can the A's take? After another 0-for on Saturday, he's down to .177 for the season. He's also walked just four times and driven in all of six runs in 130 at-bats. With Jemile Weeks tearing it up in Triple-A (he's hitting .343/.438/.510), the A's have a better fallback at second base than they do at the hot corner. I think they'd prefer to see Ellis turn it around, given that he's still a top-notch defender. However, if he's still slumping when June 1 comes around, they're not going to have much choice other than to make a switch.

- Andrew Bailey (forearm) reportedly looked good in his extended-spring training outing Saturday, so it looks like he'll begin a rehab assignment this week. He's getting closer.

- I gave my thoughts on new Mariners callups Carlos Peguero and Michael Wilson over at HardballTalk. Franklin Gutierrez (stomach) is expected to come off the disabled list early this week, necessitating that someone get dropped from the roster. It looked like the Mariners were making a commitment to Michael Saunders when they dropped Milton Bradley and Ryan Langerhans from the roster on the same day, but Saunders is batting just .171/.225/.270 after 111 at-bats. While I'm guessing that Peguero goes, leaving the Mariners with a Saunders-Wilson platoon in left field, it wouldn't be shocking if Saunders is dropped instead. The right-handed hitting Wilson is the one of the three least likely to have a future with the Mariners. However, since Peguero and Saunders are left-handed hitters and would benefit from playing regularly, it'd make no sense to keep both.

- Brandon League's horrible week hasn't cost him closing duties yet, but he has to be just one more blown save away from losing his job, presumably to Jamey Wright. Of course, Wright is no one's ideal closer, but he's the best option in the pen with prospects Josh Lueke and Dan Cortes looking nowhere near ready. I don't know if League is hurt after the hefty early-season workload, but it is a real possibility. He's always been terribly inconsistent, but that's usually a result of poor control. He's never gotten hit like this.

- Grady Sizemore was out of the Indians lineup for a fourth straight day Saturday because of a sore knee. There's still no word when he'll be back, but barring a negative report Sunday, he'll have to be kept active in all but the shallowest formats.

- Jack Hannahan is just 5-for-29 with one RBI this month, and the Indians held him out of Saturday's lineup in favor of Adam Everett. If Hannahan continues to slump, there's the chance we'll see Lonnie Chisenhall before the end of June. Chisenhall's overall .285/.373/.446 line at Triple-A Columbus doesn't really stand out, but the left-handed hitter is batting .326/.421/.500 in 92 at-bats against righties. Stick him in a platoon role and he might be a big contributor as the Indians try to maintain their surprising early pace.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Interleague play set to begin
Tristan H. Cockcroft

Fantasy Forecaster updated Saturday, May 14 at 4:19 p.m. ET.
On tap: Interleague play begins on Friday with six of what Major League Baseball calls "traditional rivalries," like Washington Nationals-Baltimore Orioles (Beltway Series), Cincinnati Reds-Cleveland Indians (Ohio Cup), St. Louis Cardinals-Kansas City Royals (I-70 Series), New York Mets-New York Yankees (Subway Series), Oakland Athletics-San Francisco Giants (Battle of the Bay) and Tampa Bay Rays-Florida Marlins (Citrus Series). But surprisingly, it's a typically unappealing interleague matchup, Seattle Mariners-San Diego Padres, that features notable storylines: Fantasy ace and defending American League Cy Young winner Felix Hernandez and rookie sensation Michael Pineda will each make a start in San Diego's cavernous Petco Park.

The beginning of interleague play stacks the schedule: All 30 teams play exactly seven games apiece in Week 7, so there's no quantitative advantage for one team or another, and two-start pitchers should be easy to pinpoint. This isn't a week to "get cute;" play your best matchups.

The Philadelphia Phillies will tentatively welcome Roy Oswalt back to their rotation for a Tuesday start in St. Louis, giving him a two-start week, the second turn coming Sunday versus the Texas Rangers. Oswalt's fantasy owners face quite a dilemma; reports from Oswalt's May 12 rehabilitation start had his velocity down, not to mention he's 4-6 with a 4.54 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 12 career starts versus the Rangers, a familiar interleague foe from his Houston Astros days. Being that I generally advise fantasy owners to take a conservative approach with pitchers fresh off the DL, a somewhat similar one with Oswalt is advised.

Reminder: For those of you in weekly-transactions leagues, first pitch of Week 7 is 6:40 p.m. ET on Monday. Here are this week's other scheduled first pitches by day: Tuesday 1:05 p.m. ET, Wednesday 7:05 p.m. ET, Thursday 12:35 p.m. ET, Friday 7:05 p.m. ET, Saturday 1:07 p.m. ET, Sunday 1:05 p.m. ET.

Quick click by section, if you're seeking advice in a specific area:
Projected starting pitchers | Pitching strategies
Team advantages | Hitting strategies
Weather report | Week 7 pitcher rankings

Projected starting pitchers

The chart below lists each of the 30 MLB teams' schedules and projected starting pitchers, and provides a matchup rating for each day's starter. Pitchers scheduled to start twice this week are in gray/beige boxes.

<STYLE type=text/css>.mod-inline td img {margin: 0px;}</STYLE>
<TABLE style="MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 100%"><THEAD><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 30px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Team</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Mon
5/16</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Tue
5/17</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Wed
5/18</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Thu
5/19</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Fri
5/20</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sat
5/21</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sun
5/22</CENTER></TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
bal.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Tillman
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Britton
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Guthrie
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Bergesen
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Arrieta
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Tillman
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Britton
(LHP)
P: 10</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
bos.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
Matsuzaka
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
Lackey
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Buchholz
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Beckett
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Lester
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Matsuzaka
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Lackey
(RHP)
P: 4</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
chw.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Jackson
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Danks
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
Peavy
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
Humber
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAD
Floyd
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAD
Buehrle
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAD
Jackson
(RHP)
P: 5</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
cle.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Carrasco
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Masterson
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Carmona
(RHP)
White
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
Tomlin
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
Carrasco
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
Masterson
(RHP)
P: 6</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
det.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
Porcello
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
Coke
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Verlander
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Penny
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Scherzer
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Porcello
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Coke
(LHP)
P: 7</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
kan.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
Mazzaro
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
O'Sullivan
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Hochevar
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Francis
(LHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>STL
Davies
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>STL
Mazzaro
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>STL
O'Sullivan
(RHP)
laa.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@OAK
Pineiro
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@OAK
Chatwood
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
Weaver
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
Haren
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Santana
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Pineiro
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Chatwood
(RHP)
min.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
Liriano
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
Baker
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@OAK
Pavano
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@OAK
Blackburn
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Duensing
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Liriano
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Baker
(RHP)
nyy.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TB
Burnett
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TB
Nova
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Colon
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Sabathia
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
Garcia
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
Burnett
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
Nova
(RHP)
oak.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Anderson
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Gonzalez
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
McCarthy
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Ross
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Cahill
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Anderson
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Gonzalez
(LHP)
sea.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Hernandez
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Vargas
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Fister
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Bedard
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Pineda
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Hernandez
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Vargas
(LHP)
P: 8</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
tam.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Price
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Shields
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
Hellickson
(RHP)
Davis
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Sonnanstine
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Price
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Shields
(RHP)
tex.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Lewis
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Harrison
(LHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Ogando
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Holland
(LHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Wilson
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Lewis
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Harrison
(LHP)
P: 1</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
tor.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
Drabek
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
Litsch
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Romero
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Reyes
(LHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Morrow
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Drabek
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Litsch
(RHP)
ari.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
Galarraga
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
Hudson
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Saunders
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Collmenter
(RHP)
Kennedy
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Galarraga
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Hudson
(RHP)
P: 9</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
atl.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Hanson
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Lowe
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
TBD

P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Jurrjens
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
Hudson
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
Hanson
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
Lowe
(RHP)
chc.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
Garza
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
Coleman
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Dempster
(RHP)
Davis
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Zambrano
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Garza
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Coleman
(RHP)
cin.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Bailey
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Volquez
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PIT
Arroyo
(RHP)
Cueto
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
Wood
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
Bailey
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
Volquez
(RHP)
col.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
Mortensen
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
Jimenez
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
DeLaRosa
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Chacin
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Hammel
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Mortensen
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Jimenez
(RHP)
fla.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Johnson
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Nolasco
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Volstad
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Sanchez
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Vazquez
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Johnson
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Nolasco
(RHP)
hou.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
Myers
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
W.Rdrguez
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Norris
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Happ
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
A.Rdrguez
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
Myers
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
W.Rdrguez
(LHP)
lad.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
Kuroda
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
Garland
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
Kershaw
(LHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
Billingsley
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Lilly
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Kuroda
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Garland
(RHP)
mil.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Marcum
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Wolf
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Gallardo
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Narveson
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Greinke
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Marcum
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Wolf
(LHP)
nym.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>FLA
Pelfrey
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>FLA
Niese
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Gee
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Dickey
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
Capuano
(LHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
Pelfrey
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
Niese
(LHP)
P: 2</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
phi.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Lee
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Oswalt
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Hamels
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Blanton
(RHP)
Halladay
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Lee
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Oswalt
(RHP)
pit.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
Maholm
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
Morton
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
McDonald
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
Karstens
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Correia
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Maholm
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Morton
(RHP)
stl.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
Westbrook
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
Garcia
(LHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Lohse
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
McClellan
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Carpenter
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Westbrook
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Garcia
(LHP)
sdg.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Richard
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Stauffer
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
Moseley
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
Harang
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Latos
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Richard
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Stauffer
(RHP)
sfo.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@COL
Sanchez
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@COL
Cain
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Bumgarner
(LHP)
Vogelsong
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Lincecum
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Sanchez
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Cain
(RHP)
was.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PIT
Lannan
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PIT
Zimmrmnn
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Gorzelanny
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Hernandez
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Marquis
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Lannan
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Zimmrmnn
(RHP)
P: 5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>P: The starting pitcher's matchup rating, which accounts for past history (three years' worth as well as past 21 days), opponent and ballpark. Ratings range from 1-10, with 10 representing the best possible matchup, statistically speaking, and 1 representing the worst.

Tristan's pitching strategies

• Go west, young fantasy owner, and load up on American League West pitching this week. Three of the four teams from that division have the most favorable matchups, the aforementioned Mariners leading the pack. Believe it or not, Mariners starters rank ninth in the majors in ERA (3.60) and 10th in WHIP (1.27) for the season, and in their past 23 games have 15 quality starts, 11 wins, a 2.92 ERA and 1.21 WHIP. Even slow-starting Erik Bedard has turned things around; he has a 2.62 ERA and 1.08 WHIP in his past four turns. He's worth using in AL-only and deep mixed leagues, but it's two-start pitcher Jason Vargas who is a particularly attractive option. He had a 2.10 ERA and 1.05 WHIP in his four interleague starts last season, makes his second Week 7 start in San Diego's Petco Park and his first against the majors' weakest offense, the Minnesota Twins (3.23 runs per game, .622 OPS).

• The Los Angeles Angels play a pair of two-game series in Oakland's Overstock.com Coliseum and Seattle's Safeco Field, two of the best pitchers' parks in baseball. Obviously, you'll want to use their top two starters, Dan Haren and Jered Weaver, who are both scheduled to pitch at Safeco, but it's two-start pitcher Joel Pineiro who stands out as a fine matchups play this week. He's 2-0 with a 1.33 ERA and 1.03 WHIP in three starts since being activated from the DL, and keep in mind seven of his past 10 starts at the Coliseum were quality starts.

• While the Mariners, Angels and Oakland Athletics will all face one another for a portion of Week 7, that doesn't diminish the appeal of their pitching matchups. They could all engage in low-scoring pitchers' duels, and in the case of the Athletics' starters, their 2.66 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 17 quality starts in their past 25 games might even give them the edge over the other two teams. All five Athletics starters warrant attention across the board, even No. 5 starter Tyson Ross, who battles the light-hitting Twins at home. By the way, if you're a wary Brett Anderson owner, keep this in mind: He's 1-4 with a 6.62 ERA and 1.82 WHIP in seven career starts versus the Rangers, 19-16 with a 3.17 ERA and 1.18 WHIP in 50 career starts versus everyone else, and this week he won't face the Rangers.

• You can lump the Padres, the Mariners' interleague opponent, into the mix of "low-scoring, pitchers'-duel" candidates for Week 7, as it's not unthinkable that the two teams combined might score fewer than 10 runs in their three-game interleague series. Sure, Michael Pineda and Felix Hernandez are their opponents, but Mat Latos and Clayton Richard are a combined 5-1 with a 2.63 ERA and 1.17 WHIP in 10 career interleague starts, not to mention have a 2.88 ERA and 1.19 WHIP in 47 career starts combined at Petco Park. Keep both in there.

• Sticking with the "West Coast" theme, the Giants are the final team profiled with elite pitching matchups, a pick that might surprise you considering that their first two games of the week will be played in Colorado's Coors Field. A two-game set in Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium, followed by a three-game home set versus the Athletics, however, more than balances the week's matchups. Here's another point in the Giants' favor: Their Monday starter, Jonathan Sanchez, has won three consecutive Coors Field assignments with a 1.04 ERA in those games, and their Tuesday starter, Matt Cain, is 4-2 with a 3.47 ERA and 1.18 WHIP in his past eight starts at Coors. Incidentally, Cain, a two-start pitcher with his second turn coming against the Athletics on Sunday, has a 2.30 ERA and 1.01 WHIP in eight career starts versus that particular opponent.

For more insight into Week 7 pitching matchups, see my rankings for the top 75 starting pitchers, as well as every two-start pitcher, at column's end.

Team advantages

The chart below lists each of the 30 teams' total number of scheduled games, home games and games versus right- and left-handed pitchers, and provides a matchup rating for the week's games in terms of overall offense, offense for left- and right-handed hitters and base stealing. Matchup ratings for each individual game are listed under the corresponding date.

<TABLE style="MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 100%"><THEAD><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 30px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Team</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Games</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Overall
Rating</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Mon
5/16</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Tue
5/17</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Wed
5/18</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Thu
5/19</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Fri
5/20</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sat
5/21</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sun
5/22</CENTER></TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
bal.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>7 total
5 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 8
L: 8
R: 4
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
H:
L: 7
R: 1
S: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
H:
R: 7
S: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
H:
L: 10
R: 3
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
H:
L: 1
R: 2
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
H:
R: 5
H:
L: 9
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
H:
S: 4</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
bos.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>7 total
7 home
1 vs. L
6 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 7
L: 6
R: 8
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
H:
R: 10
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
H:
L: 3
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
H:
L: 2
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
H:
R: 9
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
L: 4
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
chw.gif
7 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 10
R: 6
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAD
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAD
H:
L: 5
H:
cle.gif
3 home
1 vs. L
6 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 5
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
H:
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
H:
det.gif
2 home
1 vs. L
6 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 10
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
H:
S: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
H:
H:
S: 8</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
kan.gif
7 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 6
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>STL
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>STL
H:
H:
S: 1</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
laa.gif
3 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 1
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@OAK
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
H:
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
H:
S: 5</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
min.gif
0 home
1 vs. L
6 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 3
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
H:
nyy.gif
3 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 10
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TB
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TB
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
H:
H:
H:
S: 2</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
oak.gif
4 home
1 vs. L
6 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 5
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
H:
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
H:
H:
sea.gif
4 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 1
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
H:
H:
tam.gif
2 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 5
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 6</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
tex.gif
0 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 6
H:
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
H:
tor.gif
5 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 8
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
H:
ari.gif
7 home
3 vs. L
3 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 7
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
H:
atl.gif
2 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 9
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
H:
chc.gif
0 home
1 vs. L
S: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 10</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
cin.gif
4 home
0 vs. L
7 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 9
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PIT
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PIT
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
H:
col.gif
2 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 4
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
H:
H:
fla.gif
5 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 8
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
H:
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
hou.gif
0 home
0 vs. L
7 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 4
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
H:
lad.gif
4 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 4
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
mil.gif
3 home
0 vs. L
7 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 4
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
H:
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
H:
H:
H:
nym.gif
4 home
1 vs. L
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>FLA
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>FLA
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
H:
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
H:
H:
phi.gif
5 home
4 vs. L
3 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 4
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
H:
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
H:
H:
H:
H:
pit.gif
3 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 6
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
H:
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
H:
stl.gif
4 home
2 vs. L
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
H:
H:
H:
S: 7</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
sdg.gif
5 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 4
H:
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
H:
H:
sfo.gif
3 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 2
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@COL
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@COL
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
H:
H:
was.gif
2 home
2 vs. L
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PIT
H:
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Some of the data used to generate this chart is derived from Baseball Musings' Day-by-day database.

H: Hitters' matchup rating, which accounts for the opposing starting pitcher's past history (three years' worth as well as past 21 days) as well as ballpark factors. L: Hitters' matchup rating accounting only for left-handed hitters. R: Hitters' matchup rating accounting for only right-handed hitters. S: Base stealing matchup rating, which accounts for the opponent's catchers' ability to gun down opposing base stealers. Ratings range from 1-10, with 10 representing the best possible matchup, statistically speaking, and 1 representing the worst.

Tristan's hitting strategies

• Designated hitter implications are a top storyline of interleague play in fantasy baseball, as natural DHs either sit or have to play the field in National League parks, while some NL bench players get extra at-bats thanks to the addition of the DH in American League venues. Among the players affected this week:

Detroit Tigers: Victor Martinez can move to catcher, so Alex Avila stands to lose just as many at-bats as the two split the chores.
Athletics: Hideki Matsui stands the most to lose, though he could slide to left field, a position in which he started 17 times in 2011.
Mariners: Jack Cust is more likely than Matsui to man left field, starting ahead of freshly promoted Carlos Peguero.
Rays: Would the Rays start Johnny Damon in left field over Sam Fuld and deal with the defensive hit? Perhaps for a game or two.
Rangers: Michael Young will have to find at-bats all over the infield, but the Rangers might scatter the days off. You might scarcely notice.
Atlanta Braves: Catcher David Ross -- with Brian McCann shifting to DH -- could be the benefactor of the DH addition, but since the Braves will face only right-handed starters, Eric Hinske is actually a smarter choice.
Chicago Cubs: Tyler Colvin finally has a place to play, not that he's hitting enough to warrant fantasy consideration.
Reds: Last season, Jonny Gomes was the Reds' regular DH and he'll probably be that again. That opens up left field to a Fred Lewis/Chris Heisey platoon.
Houston Astros: Expect Carlos Lee to be the Astros' DH, opening up left field for Brian Bogusevic or Jason Michaels.
Los Angeles Dodgers: Jay Gibbons, fresh off the disabled list, would be a natural choice as the Dodgers' DH.
Mets: Jason Bay? Carlos Beltran? Whoever the choice, Fernando Martinez should finally have a place to play in this outfield.
Cardinals: The DH is an ideal spot for Allen Craig to get three guaranteed starts; or he could man right field with Lance Berkman at DH.
Nationals: Matt Stairs is a natural DH, though he might sit the Sunday game against left-handed starter Zach Britton.

• Seven home games for the Chicago White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field? Could there be a more obvious set of hitting matchups to exploit? The White Sox might not have impressed you with their offensive exploits thus far, but in their first 10 games in May they've improved, averaging 4.10 runs and batting .272/.355/.440. Slow-starting Adam Dunn is finally getting his act together, with .333/.452/.667 rates in 10 May games, and so is Gordon Beckham to a lesser degree, his rates .300/.364/.500 in 10 games in the month. A schedule like this should only fuel what looks like hot streaks for both, and while Dunn obviously is beyond his buy-low stage, Beckham is the one who could really stand to restore his owners' confidence.

• As mentioned above, the Tigers' Avila and Martinez might be dividing starts during the weekend interleague series in Pittsburgh, but keep in mind each might start at least five times regardless -- in all four intraleague games and at least once apiece in Pittsburgh. That the team rates a perfect 10 makes each a worthy fantasy start, especially since Avila is a .288/.344/.563 hitter against right-handers and Martinez .353/.397/.618, and the Tigers are set to face six right-handed starters in their seven games. Jhonny Peralta is also in the midst of a hot streak; he's a .364/.417/.697 hitter in nine games in May.

• The Reds might not have outstanding overall numbers versus right-handers -- their .251/.323/.398 rates result in a 10th-ranked .721 team OPS -- but what stands out about their schedule this week is the volume of opposing righty starters who struggle against lefties: Casey Coleman (Tuesday), Jeff Karstens (Thursday), Carlos Carrasco (Saturday) and Justin Masterson (Sunday). The Reds do have lefty lumber: Jay Bruce and Joey Votto most notably, but also DH candidate Fred Lewis. Lewis is the NL-only sleeper, potentially earning three or four starts, and both catchers, Ramon Hernandez and Ryan Hanigan, are worth a look in that format.

• The Nationals boast only two active players with a batting average better than .235, and have an NL-worst .222 team batting average, but it's schedules like these that can often kick-start a bad offense. Sure, Orioles youngsters Jake Arrieta (Friday) and Zach Britton (Sunday) present challenges, but no other Nationals opposing starter is terribly threatening. In fact, in daily-transaction leagues, it's easy to pick and choose the strong matchups: Load up on righties -- like Ian Desmond, Michael Morse and Wilson Ramos -- against Paul Maholm (Monday), and lefties -- like Adam LaRoche and Laynce Nix -- against Charlie Morton (Tuesday) and Dillon Gee (Wednesday). And in weekly leagues, games against the Pirates, Mets and Orioles might be the perfect recipe for beginning hot streaks for struggling hitters like Danny Espinosa, LaRoche and Jayson Werth.

Weather report

Be aware that the weather report is treacherous in the northeast this week, the chances of rain 40 percent or greater in Baltimore, Boston, Philadelphia, New York and Washington all the way through Thursday. There are games scheduled in each of those cities early in the week, including four in a row for the Mets to begin the week, so don't be shocked if northeastern teams suffer postponements.

One note about rainouts: Teams tend to wait out rain -- or immediately reschedule postponements as next-game doubleheaders -- during interleague play, as those opponents tend to visit one time per season. It's the Monday-Thursday games that should be of gravest concern of being wiped out, especially since all of those are two-game series with quick travel turnaround.

Weatherproof games: Rays at Blue Jays (2, Wed-Thu); Astros at Blue Jays (3, Fri-Sun); Rockies at Brewers (3, Fri-Sun); Padres at Diamondbacks (2, Mon-Tue); Braves at Diamondbacks (2, Wed-Thu); Twins at Diamondbacks (3, Fri-Sun); Twins at Mariners (2, Mon-Tue); Angels at Mariners (2, Wed-Thu); Yankees at Rays (2, Mon-Tue).

Tristan's Week 7 pitcher rankings: Top 75

Rankings take into account several factors: The pitcher's raw talent, historical and recent performance; number of starts; strength of opponent(s); and ballpark factors. Be aware that different leagues might emphasize different pitching statistics that could change these rankings slightly. These are based upon a fairly standard rotisserie scoring system, like ESPN's.

1. Felix Hernandez (SEA) -- Mon-MIN (Liriano), Sat-@SD (Richard)
2. Josh Johnson (FLA) -- Mon-@NYM (Pelfrey), Sat-TB (Price)
3. Tommy Hanson (ATL) -- Mon-HOU (Myers), Sat-@LAA (Pineiro)
4. David Price (TB) -- Mon-NYY (Burnett), Sat-@FLA (Johnson)
5. Cliff Lee (PHI) -- Mon-@STL (Westbrook), Sat-TEX (Lewis)
6. Tim Lincecum (SF) -- Fri-OAK (Cahill)
7. Shaun Marcum (MIL) -- Mon-@LAD (Kuroda), Sat-COL (Mortensen)
8. Roy Halladay (PHI) -- Fri-TEX (Wilson)
9. Jaime Garcia (STL) -- Tue-PHI (Oswalt), Sun-@KC (O'Sullivan)
10. Dan Haren (LAA) -- Thu-@SEA (Bedard)
11. Matt Cain (SF) -- Tue-@COL (Jimenez), Sun-OAK (Gonzalez)
12. Ricky Nolasco (FLA) -- Tue-@NYM (Niese), Sun-TB (Shields)
13. Daniel Hudson (ARI) -- Tue-SD (Stauffer), Sun-MIN (Baker)
14. Cole Hamels (PHI) -- Wed-COL (De La Rosa)
15. James Shields (TB) -- Tue-NYY (Nova), Sun-@FLA (Nolasco)
16. Jered Weaver (LAA) -- Wed-@SEA (Fister)
17. Matt Garza (CHC) -- Mon-@CIN (Bailey), Sat-@BOS (Matsuzaka)
18. CC Sabathia (NYY) -- Thu-@BAL (Bergesen)
19. Jon Lester (BOS) -- Fri-CHC (Zambrano)
20. Justin Verlander (DET) -- Wed-@BOS (Buchholz)
21. Ubaldo Jimenez (COL) -- Tue-SF (Cain), Sun-@MIL (Wolf)
22. Trevor Cahill (OAK) -- Fri-@SF (Lincecum)
23. Hiroki Kuroda (LAD) -- Mon-MIL (Marcum), Sat-@CHW (Buehrle)
24. Clayton Kershaw (LAD) -- Wed-SF (Bumgarner)
25. Jonathan Sanchez (SF) -- Mon-@COL (Mortensen), Sat-OAK (Anderson)
26. Gio Gonzalez (OAK) -- Tue-LAA (Chatwood), Sun-@SF (Cain)
27. Colby Lewis (TEX) -- Mon-@CHW (Jackson), Sat-@PHI (Lee)
28. Wandy Rodriguez (HOU) -- Tue-@ATL (Lowe), Sun-@TOR (Litsch)
29. Zack Greinke (MIL) -- Fri-COL (Hammel)
30. Derek Lowe (ATL) -- Tue-HOU (Rodriguez), Sun-@LAA (Chatwood)
31. Brett Anderson (OAK) -- Mon-LAA (Pineiro), Sat-@SF (Sanchez)
32. Chad Billingsley (LAD) -- Thu-SF (Vogelsong)
33. Tim Hudson (ATL) -- Fri-@LAA (Santana)
34. A.J. Burnett (NYY) -- Mon-@TB (Price), Sat-NYM (Pelfrey)
35. Michael Pineda (SEA) -- Fri-@SD (Latos)
36. Max Scherzer (DET) -- Fri-@PIT (Correia)
37. Mat Latos (SD) -- Fri-SEA (Pineda)
38. Tim Stauffer (SD) -- Tue-@ARI (Hudson), Sun-SEA (Vargas)
39. Ian Kennedy (ARI) -- Fri-MIN (Duensing)
40. Brandon Morrow (TOR) -- Fri-HOU (Rodriguez)
41. Anibal Sanchez (FLA) -- Thu-CHC (Davis)
42. Scott Baker (MIN) -- Tue-@SEA (Vargas), Sun-@ARI (Hudson)
43. Jhoulys Chacin (COL) -- Thu-@PHI (Blanton)
44. Zach Britton (BAL) -- Tue-@BOS (Lackey), Sun-WAS (Zimmermann)
45. Homer Bailey (CIN) -- Mon-CHC (Garza), Sat-@CLE (Carrasco)
46. Josh Beckett (BOS) -- Thu-DET (Penny)
47. Justin Masterson (CLE) -- Tue-@KC (O'Sullivan), Sun-CIN (Volquez)
48. Jason Vargas (SEA) -- Tue-MIN (Baker), Sun-@SD (Stauffer)
49. Yovani Gallardo (MIL) -- Wed-@SD (Moseley)
50. Joel Pineiro (LAA) -- Mon-@OAK (Anderson), Sat-ATL (Hanson)
51. Chris Carpenter (STL) -- Fri-@KC (Davies)
52. Madison Bumgarner (SF) -- Wed-@LAD (Kershaw)
53. Rick Porcello (DET) -- Mon-TOR (Drabek), Sat-@PIT (Maholm)
54. C.J. Wilson (TEX) -- Fri-@PHI (Halladay)
55. Jordan Zimmermann (WAS) -- Tue-PIT (Morton), Sun-@BAL (Britton)
56. Erik Bedard (SEA) -- Thu-LAA (Haren)
57. Alexi Ogando (TEX) -- Wed-@KC (Hochevar)
58. Gavin Floyd (CHW) -- Fri-LAD (Lilly)
59. Tom Gorzelanny (WAS) -- Wed-@NYM (Gee)
60. Edwin Jackson (CHW) -- Mon-TEX (Lewis), Sun-LAD (Garland)
61. Kyle Lohse (STL) -- Wed-HOU (Norris)
62. Roy Oswalt (PHI) -- Tue-@STL (Garcia), Sun-TEX (Harrison)
63. Francisco Liriano (MIN) -- Mon-@SEA (Hernandez), Sat-@ARI (Galarraga)
64. Philip Humber (CHW) -- Thu-CLE (White)
65. Jon Garland (LAD) -- Tue-MIL (Wolf), Sun-@CHW (Jackson)
66. Jake Arrieta (BAL) -- Fri-WAS (Marquis)
67. Jair Jurrjens (ATL) -- Thu-@ARI (Collmenter)
68. Ervin Santana (LAA) -- Fri-ATL (Hudson)
69. Jorge De La Rosa (COL) -- Wed-@PHI (Hamels)
70. Johnny Cueto (CIN) -- Thu-PIT (Karstens)
71. Ted Lilly (LAD) -- Fri-@CHW (Floyd)
72. Bronson Arroyo (CIN) -- Wed-PIT (McDonald)
73. Bud Norris (HOU) -- Wed-@STL (Lohse)
74. Fausto Carmona (CLE) -- Wed-@CHW (Peavy)
75. Clay Buchholz (BOS) -- Wed-DET (Verlander)

Two-start options for AL-/NL-only leagues:
Tyler Chatwood (LAA) -- Tue-@OAK (Gonzalez), Sun-ATL (Lowe)
Phil Coke (DET) -- Tue-TOR (Litsch), Sun-@PIT (Morton)
Armando Galarraga (ARI) -- Mon-SD (Richard), Sat-MIN (Liriano)
John Lackey (BOS) -- Tue-BAL (Britton), Sun-CHC (Coleman)
John Lannan (WAS) -- Mon-PIT (Maholm), Sat-@BAL (Tillman)
Jesse Litsch (TOR) -- Tue-@DET (Coke), Sun-HOU (Rodriguez)
Charlie Morton (PIT) -- Tue-@WAS (Zimmermann), Sun-DET (Coke)
Brett Myers (HOU) -- Mon-@ATL (Hanson), Sat-@TOR (Drabek)
Mike Pelfrey (NYM) -- Mon-FLA (Johnson), Sat-@NYY (Burnett)
Clayton Richard (SD) -- Mon-@ARI (Galarraga), Sat-SEA (Hernandez)
Edinson Volquez (CIN) -- Tue-CHC (Coleman), Sun-@CLE (Masterson)
Jake Westbrook (STL) -- Mon-PHI (Lee), Sat-@KC (Mazzaro)

No-thank-yous, among two-starts:
Carlos Carrasco (CLE) -- Mon-@KC (Mazzaro), Sat-CIN (Bailey)
Casey Coleman (CHC) -- Tue-@CIN (Volquez), Sun-@BOS (Lackey)
Kyle Drabek (TOR) -- Mon-@DET (Porcello), Sat-HOU (Myers)
Matt Harrison (TEX) -- Tue-@CHW (Danks), Sun-@PHI (Oswalt)
Paul Maholm (PIT) -- Mon-@WAS (Lannan), Sat-DET (Porcello)
Daisuke Matsuzaka (BOS) -- Mon-BAL (Tillman), Sat-CHC (Garza)
Vin Mazzaro (KC) -- Mon-CLE (Carrasco), Sat-STL (Westbrook)
Clayton Mortensen (COL) -- Mon-SF (Sanchez), Sat-@MIL (Marcum)
Jonathon Niese (NYM) -- Tue-FLA (Nolasco), Sun-@NYY (Nova)
Ivan Nova (NYY) -- Tue-@TB (Shields), Sun-NYM (Niese)
Sean O'Sullivan (KC) -- Tue-CLE (Masterson), Sun-STL (Garcia)
Chris Tillman (BAL) -- Mon-@BOS (Matsuzaka), Sat-WAS (Lannan)
Randy Wolf (MIL) -- Tue-@LAD (Garland), Sun-COL (Jimenez)

One-start sleepers:
Mark Buehrle (CHW) -- Sat-LAD (Kuroda)
Bartolo Colon (NYY) -- Wed-@BAL (Guthrie)
R.A. Dickey (NYM) -- Thu-WAS (Hernandez)
Jason Hammel (COL) -- Fri-@MIL (Greinke)
Brandon McCarthy (OAK) -- Wed-MIN (Pavano)
Kyle McClellan (STL) -- Thu-HOU (Happ)
Chris Narveson (MIL) -- Thu-@SD (Harang)
Jake Peavy (CHW) -- Wed-CLE (Carmona)
Tyson Ross (OAK) -- Thu-MIN (Blackburn)

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Interleague play set to begin
Tristan H. Cockcroft

Fantasy Forecaster updated Saturday, May 14 at 4:19 p.m. ET.
On tap: Interleague play begins on Friday with six of what Major League Baseball calls "traditional rivalries," like Washington Nationals-Baltimore Orioles (Beltway Series), Cincinnati Reds-Cleveland Indians (Ohio Cup), St. Louis Cardinals-Kansas City Royals (I-70 Series), New York Mets-New York Yankees (Subway Series), Oakland Athletics-San Francisco Giants (Battle of the Bay) and Tampa Bay Rays-Florida Marlins (Citrus Series). But surprisingly, it's a typically unappealing interleague matchup, Seattle Mariners-San Diego Padres, that features notable storylines: Fantasy ace and defending American League Cy Young winner Felix Hernandez and rookie sensation Michael Pineda will each make a start in San Diego's cavernous Petco Park.

The beginning of interleague play stacks the schedule: All 30 teams play exactly seven games apiece in Week 7, so there's no quantitative advantage for one team or another, and two-start pitchers should be easy to pinpoint. This isn't a week to "get cute;" play your best matchups.

The Philadelphia Phillies will tentatively welcome Roy Oswalt back to their rotation for a Tuesday start in St. Louis, giving him a two-start week, the second turn coming Sunday versus the Texas Rangers. Oswalt's fantasy owners face quite a dilemma; reports from Oswalt's May 12 rehabilitation start had his velocity down, not to mention he's 4-6 with a 4.54 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 12 career starts versus the Rangers, a familiar interleague foe from his Houston Astros days. Being that I generally advise fantasy owners to take a conservative approach with pitchers fresh off the DL, a somewhat similar one with Oswalt is advised.

Reminder: For those of you in weekly-transactions leagues, first pitch of Week 7 is 6:40 p.m. ET on Monday. Here are this week's other scheduled first pitches by day: Tuesday 1:05 p.m. ET, Wednesday 7:05 p.m. ET, Thursday 12:35 p.m. ET, Friday 7:05 p.m. ET, Saturday 1:07 p.m. ET, Sunday 1:05 p.m. ET.

Quick click by section, if you're seeking advice in a specific area:
Projected starting pitchers | Pitching strategies
Team advantages | Hitting strategies
Weather report | Week 7 pitcher rankings

Projected starting pitchers

The chart below lists each of the 30 MLB teams' schedules and projected starting pitchers, and provides a matchup rating for each day's starter. Pitchers scheduled to start twice this week are in gray/beige boxes.

<TABLE style="MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 100%"><THEAD><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 30px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Team</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Mon
5/16</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Tue
5/17</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Wed
5/18</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Thu
5/19</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Fri
5/20</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sat
5/21</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 14%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sun
bal.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Tillman
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Britton
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Guthrie
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Bergesen
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Arrieta
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Tillman
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Britton
(LHP)
bos.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
Matsuzaka
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
Lackey
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Buchholz
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Beckett
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Lester
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Matsuzaka
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Lackey
(RHP)
chw.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Jackson
(RHP)
Danks
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
Peavy
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
Humber
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAD
Floyd
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAD
Buehrle
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAD
Jackson
(RHP)
cle.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Carrasco
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Masterson
(RHP)
Carmona
(RHP)
White
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
Tomlin
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
Carrasco
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
Masterson
(RHP)
det.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
Porcello
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
Coke
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Verlander
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Penny
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Scherzer
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Porcello
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
Coke
(LHP)
P: 7</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
kan.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
Mazzaro
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
O'Sullivan
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Hochevar
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Francis
(LHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>STL
Davies
(RHP)
Mazzaro
(RHP)
O'Sullivan
(RHP)
laa.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@OAK
Pineiro
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@OAK
Chatwood
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
Weaver
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
Haren
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Santana
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Pineiro
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Chatwood
(RHP)
min.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
Liriano
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
Baker
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@OAK
Pavano
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@OAK
Blackburn
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Duensing
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Liriano
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Baker
(RHP)
nyy.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TB
Burnett
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TB
Nova
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Colon
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Sabathia
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
Garcia
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
Burnett
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYM
Nova
(RHP)
oak.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Anderson
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Gonzalez
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
McCarthy
(RHP)
Ross
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Cahill
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Anderson
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
Gonzalez
(LHP)
sea.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Hernandez
(RHP)
Vargas
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Fister
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
Bedard
(LHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Pineda
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Hernandez
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Vargas
(LHP)
tam.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Price
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
Shields
(RHP)
Hellickson
(RHP)
Davis
(RHP)
Sonnanstine
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Price
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Shields
(RHP)
tex.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Lewis
(RHP)
Harrison
(LHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Ogando
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Holland
(LHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Wilson
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Lewis
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Harrison
(LHP)
tor.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
Drabek
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
Litsch
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Romero
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Reyes
(LHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Morrow
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Drabek
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Litsch
(RHP)
ari.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
Galarraga
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
Hudson
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Saunders
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
Collmenter
(RHP)
Kennedy
(RHP)
Galarraga
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
Hudson
(RHP)
atl.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Hanson
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Lowe
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
TBD

P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Jurrjens
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
Hudson
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
Hanson
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
Lowe
(RHP)
chc.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
Garza
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
Coleman
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
Dempster
(RHP)
Davis
(LHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Zambrano
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Garza
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
Coleman
(RHP)
cin.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Bailey
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Volquez
(RHP)
Arroyo
(RHP)
Cueto
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
Wood
(LHP)
Bailey
(RHP)
Volquez
(RHP)
col.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
Mortensen
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
Jimenez
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
DeLaRosa
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
Chacin
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Hammel
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Mortensen
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
Jimenez
(RHP)
fla.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Johnson
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Nolasco
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Volstad
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
Sanchez
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Vazquez
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Johnson
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
Nolasco
(RHP)
hou.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
Myers
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
W.Rdrguez
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Norris
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Happ
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
A.Rdrguez
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
Myers
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
W.Rdrguez
(LHP)
lad.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
Kuroda
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
Garland
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
Kershaw
(LHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
Billingsley
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Lilly
(LHP)
Kuroda
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
Garland
(RHP)
mil.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Marcum
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
Wolf
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Gallardo
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
Narveson
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Greinke
(RHP)
Marcum
(RHP)
Wolf
(LHP)
nym.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>FLA
Pelfrey
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>FLA
Niese
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Gee
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
Dickey
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
Capuano
(LHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
Pelfrey
(RHP)
P: 3</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
Niese
(LHP)
P: 2</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
phi.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Lee
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
Oswalt
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Hamels
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
Blanton
(RHP)
Halladay
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Lee
(LHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
Oswalt
(RHP)
pit.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
Maholm
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
Morton
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
McDonald
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
Karstens
(RHP)
P: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Correia
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Maholm
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
Morton
(RHP)
stl.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
Westbrook
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
Garcia
(LHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
Lohse
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
McClellan
(RHP)
P: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Carpenter
(RHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Westbrook
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
Garcia
(LHP)
sdg.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Richard
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ARI
Stauffer
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
Moseley
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
Harang
(RHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Latos
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Richard
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
Stauffer
(RHP)
sfo.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@COL
Sanchez
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@COL
Cain
(RHP)
Bumgarner
(LHP)
Vogelsong
(RHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Lincecum
(RHP)
P: 10</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Sanchez
(LHP)
P: 8</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
Cain
(RHP)
was.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PIT
Lannan
(LHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PIT
Zimmrmnn
(RHP)
P: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Gorzelanny
(LHP)
P: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
Hernandez
(RHP)
P: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Marquis
(RHP)
P: 5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Lannan
(LHP)
P: 4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BAL
Zimmrmnn
(RHP)
P: 5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>P: The starting pitcher's matchup rating, which accounts for past history (three years' worth as well as past 21 days), opponent and ballpark. Ratings range from 1-10, with 10 representing the best possible matchup, statistically speaking, and 1 representing the worst.

Tristan's pitching strategies

• Go west, young fantasy owner, and load up on American League West pitching this week. Three of the four teams from that division have the most favorable matchups, the aforementioned Mariners leading the pack. Believe it or not, Mariners starters rank ninth in the majors in ERA (3.60) and 10th in WHIP (1.27) for the season, and in their past 23 games have 15 quality starts, 11 wins, a 2.92 ERA and 1.21 WHIP. Even slow-starting Erik Bedard has turned things around; he has a 2.62 ERA and 1.08 WHIP in his past four turns. He's worth using in AL-only and deep mixed leagues, but it's two-start pitcher Jason Vargas who is a particularly attractive option. He had a 2.10 ERA and 1.05 WHIP in his four interleague starts last season, makes his second Week 7 start in San Diego's Petco Park and his first against the majors' weakest offense, the Minnesota Twins (3.23 runs per game, .622 OPS).

• The Los Angeles Angels play a pair of two-game series in Oakland's Overstock.com Coliseum and Seattle's Safeco Field, two of the best pitchers' parks in baseball. Obviously, you'll want to use their top two starters, Dan Haren and Jered Weaver, who are both scheduled to pitch at Safeco, but it's two-start pitcher Joel Pineiro who stands out as a fine matchups play this week. He's 2-0 with a 1.33 ERA and 1.03 WHIP in three starts since being activated from the DL, and keep in mind seven of his past 10 starts at the Coliseum were quality starts.

• While the Mariners, Angels and Oakland Athletics will all face one another for a portion of Week 7, that doesn't diminish the appeal of their pitching matchups. They could all engage in low-scoring pitchers' duels, and in the case of the Athletics' starters, their 2.66 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 17 quality starts in their past 25 games might even give them the edge over the other two teams. All five Athletics starters warrant attention across the board, even No. 5 starter Tyson Ross, who battles the light-hitting Twins at home. By the way, if you're a wary Brett Anderson owner, keep this in mind: He's 1-4 with a 6.62 ERA and 1.82 WHIP in seven career starts versus the Rangers, 19-16 with a 3.17 ERA and 1.18 WHIP in 50 career starts versus everyone else, and this week he won't face the Rangers.

• You can lump the Padres, the Mariners' interleague opponent, into the mix of "low-scoring, pitchers'-duel" candidates for Week 7, as it's not unthinkable that the two teams combined might score fewer than 10 runs in their three-game interleague series. Sure, Michael Pineda and Felix Hernandez are their opponents, but Mat Latos and Clayton Richard are a combined 5-1 with a 2.63 ERA and 1.17 WHIP in 10 career interleague starts, not to mention have a 2.88 ERA and 1.19 WHIP in 47 career starts combined at Petco Park. Keep both in there.

• Sticking with the "West Coast" theme, the Giants are the final team profiled with elite pitching matchups, a pick that might surprise you considering that their first two games of the week will be played in Colorado's Coors Field. A two-game set in Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium, followed by a three-game home set versus the Athletics, however, more than balances the week's matchups. Here's another point in the Giants' favor: Their Monday starter, Jonathan Sanchez, has won three consecutive Coors Field assignments with a 1.04 ERA in those games, and their Tuesday starter, Matt Cain, is 4-2 with a 3.47 ERA and 1.18 WHIP in his past eight starts at Coors. Incidentally, Cain, a two-start pitcher with his second turn coming against the Athletics on Sunday, has a 2.30 ERA and 1.01 WHIP in eight career starts versus that particular opponent.

For more insight into Week 7 pitching matchups, see my rankings for the top 75 starting pitchers, as well as every two-start pitcher, at column's end.

Team advantages

The chart below lists each of the 30 teams' total number of scheduled games, home games and games versus right- and left-handed pitchers, and provides a matchup rating for the week's games in terms of overall offense, offense for left- and right-handed hitters and base stealing. Matchup ratings for each individual game are listed under the corresponding date.

<TABLE style="MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 100%"><THEAD><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 30px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Team</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Games</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Overall
Rating</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Mon
5/16</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Tue
5/17</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Wed
5/18</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Thu
5/19</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Fri
5/20</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sat
5/21</CENTER></TH><TH style="WIDTH: 11%; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom"><CENTER>Sun
bal.gif
5 home
2 vs. L
H:
H:
S: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>NYY
H:
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
H:
bos.gif
7 home
1 vs. L
6 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 7
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>BAL
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
H:
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
H:
H:
chw.gif
7 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 10
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
H:
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAD
H:
H:
H:
cle.gif
3 home
1 vs. L
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CIN
H:
det.gif
2 home
1 vs. L
6 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 10
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TOR
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@BOS
H:
S: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PIT
H:
H:
H:
kan.gif
7 home
2 vs. L
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CLE
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TEX
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>STL
H:
H:
H:
S: 1</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
laa.gif
3 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 1
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SEA
H:
H:
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>ATL
H:
min.gif
0 home
1 vs. L
6 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 3
H:
H:
H:
H:
H:
H:
H:
nyy.gif
3 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 10
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TB
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TB
H:
H:
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 2</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
oak.gif
4 home
1 vs. L
H:
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SF
H:
H:
H:
sea.gif
4 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 1
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>LAA
H:
H:
H:
H:
tam.gif
2 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 5
H:
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
tex.gif
0 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 6
H:
H:
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
H:
tor.gif
5 home
2 vs. L
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@DET
H:
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
H:
H:
H:
ari.gif
7 home
3 vs. L
3 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 7
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SD
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIN
H:
H:
atl.gif
2 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 9
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
H:
S: 9</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAA
H:
chc.gif
0 home
1 vs. L
S: 10</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@FLA
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 10</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
cin.gif
4 home
0 vs. L
7 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 9
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PIT
H:
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CLE
H:
col.gif
2 home
3 vs. L
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@PHI
H:
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@MIL
H:
H:
fla.gif
5 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 8
H:
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>CHC
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>TB
H:
hou.gif
0 home
0 vs. L
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@ATL
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
H:
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@TOR
H:
lad.gif
4 home
3 vs. L
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
H:
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SF
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CHW
H:
mil.gif
3 home
0 vs. L
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@SD
H:
H:
H:
H:
H:
nym.gif
4 home
1 vs. L
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>FLA
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>FLA
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>WAS
H:
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYY
H:
H:
H:
phi.gif
5 home
4 vs. L
3 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 4
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@STL
H:
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>COL
H:
H:
H:
H:
pit.gif
3 home
2 vs. L
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@WAS
H:
H:
S: 3</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@CIN
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
H:
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>DET
H:
stl.gif
4 home
2 vs. L
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PHI
H:
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>HOU
H:
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@KC
H:
H:
H:
S: 7</TD></TR><TR class=last><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>
sdg.gif
5 home
2 vs. L
5 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 4
H:
H:
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>MIL
H:
H:
S: 2</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>SEA
H:
H:
sfo.gif
3 home
3 vs. L
4 vs. R</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f2; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" align=middle>H: 2
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@COL
H:
S: 7</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@COL
H:
S: 6</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@LAD
H:
S: 4</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>OAK
H:
H:
H:
was.gif
2 home
2 vs. L
S: 5</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>PIT
H:
H:
S: 8</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
H:
S: 1</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle>@NYM
H:
H:
H:
H:
S: 4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Some of the data used to generate this chart is derived from Baseball Musings' Day-by-day database.

H: Hitters' matchup rating, which accounts for the opposing starting pitcher's past history (three years' worth as well as past 21 days) as well as ballpark factors. L: Hitters' matchup rating accounting only for left-handed hitters. R: Hitters' matchup rating accounting for only right-handed hitters. S: Base stealing matchup rating, which accounts for the opponent's catchers' ability to gun down opposing base stealers. Ratings range from 1-10, with 10 representing the best possible matchup, statistically speaking, and 1 representing the worst.

Tristan's hitting strategies

• Designated hitter implications are a top storyline of interleague play in fantasy baseball, as natural DHs either sit or have to play the field in National League parks, while some NL bench players get extra at-bats thanks to the addition of the DH in American League venues. Among the players affected this week:

Detroit Tigers: Victor Martinez can move to catcher, so Alex Avila stands to lose just as many at-bats as the two split the chores.
Athletics: Hideki Matsui stands the most to lose, though he could slide to left field, a position in which he started 17 times in 2011.
Mariners: Jack Cust is more likely than Matsui to man left field, starting ahead of freshly promoted Carlos Peguero.
Rays: Would the Rays start Johnny Damon in left field over Sam Fuld and deal with the defensive hit? Perhaps for a game or two.
Rangers: Michael Young will have to find at-bats all over the infield, but the Rangers might scatter the days off. You might scarcely notice.
Atlanta Braves: Catcher David Ross -- with Brian McCann shifting to DH -- could be the benefactor of the DH addition, but since the Braves will face only right-handed starters, Eric Hinske is actually a smarter choice.
Chicago Cubs: Tyler Colvin finally has a place to play, not that he's hitting enough to warrant fantasy consideration.
Reds: Last season, Jonny Gomes was the Reds' regular DH and he'll probably be that again. That opens up left field to a Fred Lewis/Chris Heisey platoon.
Houston Astros: Expect Carlos Lee to be the Astros' DH, opening up left field for Brian Bogusevic or Jason Michaels.
Los Angeles Dodgers: Jay Gibbons, fresh off the disabled list, would be a natural choice as the Dodgers' DH.
Mets: Jason Bay? Carlos Beltran? Whoever the choice, Fernando Martinez should finally have a place to play in this outfield.
Cardinals: The DH is an ideal spot for Allen Craig to get three guaranteed starts; or he could man right field with Lance Berkman at DH.
Nationals: Matt Stairs is a natural DH, though he might sit the Sunday game against left-handed starter Zach Britton.

• Seven home games for the Chicago White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field? Could there be a more obvious set of hitting matchups to exploit? The White Sox might not have impressed you with their offensive exploits thus far, but in their first 10 games in May they've improved, averaging 4.10 runs and batting .272/.355/.440. Slow-starting Adam Dunn is finally getting his act together, with .333/.452/.667 rates in 10 May games, and so is Gordon Beckham to a lesser degree, his rates .300/.364/.500 in 10 games in the month. A schedule like this should only fuel what looks like hot streaks for both, and while Dunn obviously is beyond his buy-low stage, Beckham is the one who could really stand to restore his owners' confidence.

• As mentioned above, the Tigers' Avila and Martinez might be dividing starts during the weekend interleague series in Pittsburgh, but keep in mind each might start at least five times regardless -- in all four intraleague games and at least once apiece in Pittsburgh. That the team rates a perfect 10 makes each a worthy fantasy start, especially since Avila is a .288/.344/.563 hitter against right-handers and Martinez .353/.397/.618, and the Tigers are set to face six right-handed starters in their seven games. Jhonny Peralta is also in the midst of a hot streak; he's a .364/.417/.697 hitter in nine games in May.

• The Reds might not have outstanding overall numbers versus right-handers -- their .251/.323/.398 rates result in a 10th-ranked .721 team OPS -- but what stands out about their schedule this week is the volume of opposing righty starters who struggle against lefties: Casey Coleman (Tuesday), Jeff Karstens (Thursday), Carlos Carrasco (Saturday) and Justin Masterson (Sunday). The Reds do have lefty lumber: Jay Bruce and Joey Votto most notably, but also DH candidate Fred Lewis. Lewis is the NL-only sleeper, potentially earning three or four starts, and both catchers, Ramon Hernandez and Ryan Hanigan, are worth a look in that format.

• The Nationals boast only two active players with a batting average better than .235, and have an NL-worst .222 team batting average, but it's schedules like these that can often kick-start a bad offense. Sure, Orioles youngsters Jake Arrieta (Friday) and Zach Britton (Sunday) present challenges, but no other Nationals opposing starter is terribly threatening. In fact, in daily-transaction leagues, it's easy to pick and choose the strong matchups: Load up on righties -- like Ian Desmond, Michael Morse and Wilson Ramos -- against Paul Maholm (Monday), and lefties -- like Adam LaRoche and Laynce Nix -- against Charlie Morton (Tuesday) and Dillon Gee (Wednesday). And in weekly leagues, games against the Pirates, Mets and Orioles might be the perfect recipe for beginning hot streaks for struggling hitters like Danny Espinosa, LaRoche and Jayson Werth.

Weather report

Be aware that the weather report is treacherous in the northeast this week, the chances of rain 40 percent or greater in Baltimore, Boston, Philadelphia, New York and Washington all the way through Thursday. There are games scheduled in each of those cities early in the week, including four in a row for the Mets to begin the week, so don't be shocked if northeastern teams suffer postponements.

One note about rainouts: Teams tend to wait out rain -- or immediately reschedule postponements as next-game doubleheaders -- during interleague play, as those opponents tend to visit one time per season. It's the Monday-Thursday games that should be of gravest concern of being wiped out, especially since all of those are two-game series with quick travel turnaround.

Weatherproof games: Rays at Blue Jays (2, Wed-Thu); Astros at Blue Jays (3, Fri-Sun); Rockies at Brewers (3, Fri-Sun); Padres at Diamondbacks (2, Mon-Tue); Braves at Diamondbacks (2, Wed-Thu); Twins at Diamondbacks (3, Fri-Sun); Twins at Mariners (2, Mon-Tue); Angels at Mariners (2, Wed-Thu); Yankees at Rays (2, Mon-Tue).

Tristan's Week 7 pitcher rankings: Top 75

Rankings take into account several factors: The pitcher's raw talent, historical and recent performance; number of starts; strength of opponent(s); and ballpark factors. Be aware that different leagues might emphasize different pitching statistics that could change these rankings slightly. These are based upon a fairly standard rotisserie scoring system, like ESPN's.

1. Felix Hernandez (SEA) -- Mon-MIN (Liriano), Sat-@SD (Richard)
2. Josh Johnson (FLA) -- Mon-@NYM (Pelfrey), Sat-TB (Price)
3. Tommy Hanson (ATL) -- Mon-HOU (Myers), Sat-@LAA (Pineiro)
4. David Price (TB) -- Mon-NYY (Burnett), Sat-@FLA (Johnson)
5. Cliff Lee (PHI) -- Mon-@STL (Westbrook), Sat-TEX (Lewis)
6. Tim Lincecum (SF) -- Fri-OAK (Cahill)
7. Shaun Marcum (MIL) -- Mon-@LAD (Kuroda), Sat-COL (Mortensen)
8. Roy Halladay (PHI) -- Fri-TEX (Wilson)
9. Jaime Garcia (STL) -- Tue-PHI (Oswalt), Sun-@KC (O'Sullivan)
10. Dan Haren (LAA) -- Thu-@SEA (Bedard)
11. Matt Cain (SF) -- Tue-@COL (Jimenez), Sun-OAK (Gonzalez)
12. Ricky Nolasco (FLA) -- Tue-@NYM (Niese), Sun-TB (Shields)
13. Daniel Hudson (ARI) -- Tue-SD (Stauffer), Sun-MIN (Baker)
14. Cole Hamels (PHI) -- Wed-COL (De La Rosa)
15. James Shields (TB) -- Tue-NYY (Nova), Sun-@FLA (Nolasco)
16. Jered Weaver (LAA) -- Wed-@SEA (Fister)
17. Matt Garza (CHC) -- Mon-@CIN (Bailey), Sat-@BOS (Matsuzaka)
18. CC Sabathia (NYY) -- Thu-@BAL (Bergesen)
19. Jon Lester (BOS) -- Fri-CHC (Zambrano)
20. Justin Verlander (DET) -- Wed-@BOS (Buchholz)
21. Ubaldo Jimenez (COL) -- Tue-SF (Cain), Sun-@MIL (Wolf)
22. Trevor Cahill (OAK) -- Fri-@SF (Lincecum)
23. Hiroki Kuroda (LAD) -- Mon-MIL (Marcum), Sat-@CHW (Buehrle)
24. Clayton Kershaw (LAD) -- Wed-SF (Bumgarner)
25. Jonathan Sanchez (SF) -- Mon-@COL (Mortensen), Sat-OAK (Anderson)
26. Gio Gonzalez (OAK) -- Tue-LAA (Chatwood), Sun-@SF (Cain)
27. Colby Lewis (TEX) -- Mon-@CHW (Jackson), Sat-@PHI (Lee)
28. Wandy Rodriguez (HOU) -- Tue-@ATL (Lowe), Sun-@TOR (Litsch)
29. Zack Greinke (MIL) -- Fri-COL (Hammel)
30. Derek Lowe (ATL) -- Tue-HOU (Rodriguez), Sun-@LAA (Chatwood)
31. Brett Anderson (OAK) -- Mon-LAA (Pineiro), Sat-@SF (Sanchez)
32. Chad Billingsley (LAD) -- Thu-SF (Vogelsong)
33. Tim Hudson (ATL) -- Fri-@LAA (Santana)
34. A.J. Burnett (NYY) -- Mon-@TB (Price), Sat-NYM (Pelfrey)
35. Michael Pineda (SEA) -- Fri-@SD (Latos)
36. Max Scherzer (DET) -- Fri-@PIT (Correia)
37. Mat Latos (SD) -- Fri-SEA (Pineda)
38. Tim Stauffer (SD) -- Tue-@ARI (Hudson), Sun-SEA (Vargas)
39. Ian Kennedy (ARI) -- Fri-MIN (Duensing)
40. Brandon Morrow (TOR) -- Fri-HOU (Rodriguez)
41. Anibal Sanchez (FLA) -- Thu-CHC (Davis)
42. Scott Baker (MIN) -- Tue-@SEA (Vargas), Sun-@ARI (Hudson)
43. Jhoulys Chacin (COL) -- Thu-@PHI (Blanton)
44. Zach Britton (BAL) -- Tue-@BOS (Lackey), Sun-WAS (Zimmermann)
45. Homer Bailey (CIN) -- Mon-CHC (Garza), Sat-@CLE (Carrasco)
46. Josh Beckett (BOS) -- Thu-DET (Penny)
47. Justin Masterson (CLE) -- Tue-@KC (O'Sullivan), Sun-CIN (Volquez)
48. Jason Vargas (SEA) -- Tue-MIN (Baker), Sun-@SD (Stauffer)
49. Yovani Gallardo (MIL) -- Wed-@SD (Moseley)
50. Joel Pineiro (LAA) -- Mon-@OAK (Anderson), Sat-ATL (Hanson)
51. Chris Carpenter (STL) -- Fri-@KC (Davies)
52. Madison Bumgarner (SF) -- Wed-@LAD (Kershaw)
53. Rick Porcello (DET) -- Mon-TOR (Drabek), Sat-@PIT (Maholm)
54. C.J. Wilson (TEX) -- Fri-@PHI (Halladay)
55. Jordan Zimmermann (WAS) -- Tue-PIT (Morton), Sun-@BAL (Britton)
56. Erik Bedard (SEA) -- Thu-LAA (Haren)
57. Alexi Ogando (TEX) -- Wed-@KC (Hochevar)
58. Gavin Floyd (CHW) -- Fri-LAD (Lilly)
59. Tom Gorzelanny (WAS) -- Wed-@NYM (Gee)
60. Edwin Jackson (CHW) -- Mon-TEX (Lewis), Sun-LAD (Garland)
61. Kyle Lohse (STL) -- Wed-HOU (Norris)
62. Roy Oswalt (PHI) -- Tue-@STL (Garcia), Sun-TEX (Harrison)
63. Francisco Liriano (MIN) -- Mon-@SEA (Hernandez), Sat-@ARI (Galarraga)
64. Philip Humber (CHW) -- Thu-CLE (White)
65. Jon Garland (LAD) -- Tue-MIL (Wolf), Sun-@CHW (Jackson)
66. Jake Arrieta (BAL) -- Fri-WAS (Marquis)
67. Jair Jurrjens (ATL) -- Thu-@ARI (Collmenter)
68. Ervin Santana (LAA) -- Fri-ATL (Hudson)
69. Jorge De La Rosa (COL) -- Wed-@PHI (Hamels)
70. Johnny Cueto (CIN) -- Thu-PIT (Karstens)
71. Ted Lilly (LAD) -- Fri-@CHW (Floyd)
72. Bronson Arroyo (CIN) -- Wed-PIT (McDonald)
73. Bud Norris (HOU) -- Wed-@STL (Lohse)
74. Fausto Carmona (CLE) -- Wed-@CHW (Peavy)
75. Clay Buchholz (BOS) -- Wed-DET (Verlander)

Two-start options for AL-/NL-only leagues:
Tyler Chatwood (LAA) -- Tue-@OAK (Gonzalez), Sun-ATL (Lowe)
Phil Coke (DET) -- Tue-TOR (Litsch), Sun-@PIT (Morton)
Armando Galarraga (ARI) -- Mon-SD (Richard), Sat-MIN (Liriano)
John Lackey (BOS) -- Tue-BAL (Britton), Sun-CHC (Coleman)
John Lannan (WAS) -- Mon-PIT (Maholm), Sat-@BAL (Tillman)
Jesse Litsch (TOR) -- Tue-@DET (Coke), Sun-HOU (Rodriguez)
Charlie Morton (PIT) -- Tue-@WAS (Zimmermann), Sun-DET (Coke)
Brett Myers (HOU) -- Mon-@ATL (Hanson), Sat-@TOR (Drabek)
Mike Pelfrey (NYM) -- Mon-FLA (Johnson), Sat-@NYY (Burnett)
Clayton Richard (SD) -- Mon-@ARI (Galarraga), Sat-SEA (Hernandez)
Edinson Volquez (CIN) -- Tue-CHC (Coleman), Sun-@CLE (Masterson)
Jake Westbrook (STL) -- Mon-PHI (Lee), Sat-@KC (Mazzaro)

No-thank-yous, among two-starts:
Carlos Carrasco (CLE) -- Mon-@KC (Mazzaro), Sat-CIN (Bailey)
Casey Coleman (CHC) -- Tue-@CIN (Volquez), Sun-@BOS (Lackey)
Kyle Drabek (TOR) -- Mon-@DET (Porcello), Sat-HOU (Myers)
Matt Harrison (TEX) -- Tue-@CHW (Danks), Sun-@PHI (Oswalt)
Paul Maholm (PIT) -- Mon-@WAS (Lannan), Sat-DET (Porcello)
Daisuke Matsuzaka (BOS) -- Mon-BAL (Tillman), Sat-CHC (Garza)
Vin Mazzaro (KC) -- Mon-CLE (Carrasco), Sat-STL (Westbrook)
Clayton Mortensen (COL) -- Mon-SF (Sanchez), Sat-@MIL (Marcum)
Jonathon Niese (NYM) -- Tue-FLA (Nolasco), Sun-@NYY (Nova)
Ivan Nova (NYY) -- Tue-@TB (Shields), Sun-NYM (Niese)
Sean O'Sullivan (KC) -- Tue-CLE (Masterson), Sun-STL (Garcia)
Chris Tillman (BAL) -- Mon-@BOS (Matsuzaka), Sat-WAS (Lannan)
Randy Wolf (MIL) -- Tue-@LAD (Garland), Sun-COL (Jimenez)

One-start sleepers:
Mark Buehrle (CHW) -- Sat-LAD (Kuroda)
Bartolo Colon (NYY) -- Wed-@BAL (Guthrie)
R.A. Dickey (NYM) -- Thu-WAS (Hernandez)
Jason Hammel (COL) -- Fri-@MIL (Greinke)
Brandon McCarthy (OAK) -- Wed-MIN (Pavano)
Kyle McClellan (STL) -- Thu-HOU (Happ)
Chris Narveson (MIL) -- Thu-@SD (Harang)
Jake Peavy (CHW) -- Wed-CLE (Carmona)
Tyson Ross (OAK) -- Thu-MIN (Blackburn)

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Take your blinders off
Matthew Berry

Pretend, for a second, that you are a network TV development executive. It's one of those jobs that everyone thinks is easy but is much more difficult that you can imagine. The ex-Mrs. Roto is one and my younger brother was one for a number of years, so I understand the job fairly well for someone who has never done it.
You read thousands of scripts. You meet with hundreds of writers, directors and actors. And you hear a million "pitches," which are ideas for TV shows. The biggest problem, of course, is that the idea is generally the least important thing about a TV show. A sitcom about four single friends living in New York City is the premise of "Mad Love," a current CBS sitcom that is on the bubble to get renewed past 13 episodes. It's also "Seinfeld."

So, pretend you are a development executive for a moment. You need to find a new drama series. And the year is 1998.
Chris Carter comes in with a new idea. The creator of current hits "X-Files" and "Millennium" has a new TV show he wants to pitch, staying in the red-hot sci-fi genre of which he is the current master.

A guy you've never heard of comes in second. He's been writing unproduced movie scripts for the past few years and hasn't worked on a network TV show in more than six years. He wants to pitch a family drama. Popular dramas currently are all workplace-based, such as "ER," "The West Wing," "The Practice" and "Law & Order," or "otherworldly," such as "X-Files" and "Touched by an Angel."
So which would you choose? The newest sci-fi show from Carter or the family drama from the unproduced movie writer? Almost everyone would choose the Carter show. In a world of much uncertainty, he has the track record.
That's exactly what Fox did, and "Harsh Realm" lasted three episodes before being canceled.
But, as you've probably guessed, the family drama got picked up as well. The unknown writer was a guy named David Chase, and the family drama was "The Sopranos."
I cheated there a little bit because I wanted to make my point. Chase was well-regarded in Hollywood but certainly wasn't a name at the time the way Carter was. And frankly, mob drama was even deader than family drama, but that would have given it away.

Fox never had to make the choice of "Harsh Realm" or "The Sopranos," but I'd bet everything I have that, if given the choice, it would have chosen "Harsh Realm." And understandably so. Also, I have to cop to something: I chose the "Sopranos" example to make my point not only because I loved the show and Chase's story but also because it gave me an excuse to link to this. It's one of the first things I wrote for ESPN.com and still among my favorites; it's a review of "The Sopranos" finale. If you're a fan of mine or, more likely, a fan of "The Sopranos," check it out if you get a second. I rarely like anything I write, but I thought that was pretty decent.

Back to the point: We are, by nature, blinded by names. It happens all the time in fantasy as well. But we play with numbers, not names. We're more than a month into the season. It's still a fairly short time, but enough that we can start to make judgments on some guys ... if we're not blinded by the names. Yes, we know that guy is good, but how good? Yes, we know he's struggling, but how much?

At some juncture, you have to go away from name value and start looking for the guy no one has heard of but who is producing a quality TV show. Or good fantasy numbers.

Which brings us once again to a perennial fan favorite, the often imitated but rarely duplicated "blind résumés." Before we get into it, last week I got a number of emails about the Maxim 100 column, saying that people didn't understand the usefulness or point of defending preseason bold predictions. Which was not the point of the column; the idea was to take that information and act on it. Everything I write has an actionable item in it. You can disagree with the conclusions I've drawn, but, for example, I wasn't defending my preseason Dan Uggla bold prediction but rather showing you a guy who is a buy low. James McDonald and Erik Bedard are good pickups. Ryan Howard a sell-high. And so forth.

In this column, the idea is that the value that people place on all these players (based on name) in potential trades is different from the reality of their value. It does not mean that I think you should trade Player A for Player B or that you should ignore Player C's career track record when looking at a six-week sample size. I just want you to see the players for their performances so far, not for the names on the backs of their jerseys. I find it a useful exercise and hope you will, too.

All stats used are through Tuesday unless indicated. Some of the stats used were provided by Fangraphs.com.

Blind résumé No. 1

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>K% </TH><TH>BB% </TH><TH>BB/K </TH><TH>HR/FB </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Player A </TD><TD>27.5% </TD><TD>3.2% </TD><TD>0.12 </TD><TD>25.6% </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Player B </TD><TD>22.3% </TD><TD>5.9% </TD><TD>0.29 </TD><TD>15.2% </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Player A is striking out more and walking less yet has a much better (and fairly unsustainable) home run-to-fly ball (HR/FB) rate. Seems odd, but there it is. Player A is one of the current major league home run leaders, Alfonso Soriano.
Player B? Soriano's career averages. He is 35 years old. What's that saying about old dogs and new tricks?
Blind résumé No. 2

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>AB </TH><TH>R </TH><TH>HR </TH><TH>RBI </TH><TH>AVG </TH><TH>K% </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Player A </TD><TD>111 </TD><TD>14 </TD><TD>6 </TD><TD>17 </TD><TD>.270 </TD><TD>25.2% </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Player B </TD><TD>133 </TD><TD>14 </TD><TD>4 </TD><TD>9 </TD><TD>.226 </TD><TD>27.1% </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Player C </TD><TD>106 </TD><TD>19 </TD><TD>5 </TD><TD>12 </TD><TD>.302 </TD><TD>18.9% </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Player C has a better average than Player A, and because he has fewer RBIs and more runs scored, we can guess that he hits higher in the order. But these are solid guys who probably should be owned at about the same rate, and either one is an upgrade over Player B.
Player B is Derrek Lee, the first baseman of the Baltimore Orioles. He is owned in 46 percent of leagues. Player A? Mark Trumbo of my beloved Los Angeles Angels. And with the news about Kendrys Morales being done for the season, playing time is no longer a concern. Player C is Mitch Moreland, owned in 94 percent of leagues. Trumbo is owned in just 21 percent of leagues.

Blind résumé No. 3

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>AB </TH><TH>R </TH><TH>HR </TH><TH>RBI </TH><TH>SB </TH><TH>BABIP </TH><TH>Career
BABIP </TH><TH>ISO </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Player A </TD><TD>98 </TD><TD>10 </TD><TD>5 </TD><TD>25 </TD><TD>8 </TD><TD>.280 </TD><TD>.324 </TD><TD>.265 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Player B </TD><TD>103 </TD><TD>20 </TD><TD>5 </TD><TD>21 </TD><TD>0 </TD><TD>.272 </TD><TD>.318 </TD><TD>.214 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Two third basemen here with virtually identical starts to the season. Player A is faster; Player B has scored more runs. I threw in the career BABIP there so you could see that one guy wasn't getting particularly luckier or unluckier than the other. There are career track records to consider, but either way, people need to start valuing Player A, Mike Aviles, higher and Player B, Alex Rodriguez, lower.

Blind résumé No. 4

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>AB </TH><TH>R </TH><TH>HR </TH><TH>RBI </TH><TH>SB </TH><TH>AVG. </TH><TH>BABIP </TH><TH>BB% </TH><TH>K% </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Player A </TD><TD>137 </TD><TD>22 </TD><TD>5 </TD><TD>16 </TD><TD>8 </TD><TD>.234 </TD><TD>.290 </TD><TD>13.8 </TD><TD>29.2 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Player B </TD><TD>87 </TD><TD>18 </TD><TD>6 </TD><TD>16 </TD><TD>4 </TD><TD>.281 </TD><TD>.288 </TD><TD>14.7 </TD><TD>17.2 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Shout-out to Keith Lipscomb for his suggestion on this one, also involving third basemen. Player B has the better average and strikes out less while putting up almost identical numbers to Player A in 50 fewer at-bats. Player A has more speed, but that's pretty much it.
Now, I'm not saying that Player B, Ryan Roberts, will finish with a better season than Player A, David Wright. But it'll be closer than you think.

Blind résumé No. 5

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>AB </TH><TH>R </TH><TH>HR </TH><TH>RBI </TH><TH>BB </TH><TH>SO </TH><TH>AVG </TH><TH>OBP </TH><TH>SLG </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Player A </TD><TD>587 </TD><TD>79 </TD><TD>39 </TD><TD>123 </TD><TD>66 </TD><TD>88 </TD><TD>.321 </TD><TD>.387 </TD><TD>.552 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Player B </TD><TD>608 </TD><TD>90 </TD><TD>36 </TD><TD>144 </TD><TD>68 </TD><TD>185 </TD><TD>.274 </TD><TD>.348 </TD><TD>.526 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Pretty solid numbers from a couple of boppers, right? Player B has more RBIs and runs; Player A has a significant advantage in average. Well, based on what they are currently doing, these are the final stats that Player A (Paul Konerko, ninth-round pick) and Player B (Ryan Howard, third-round pick) are on pace for.

Blind résumé No. 6

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>AB </TH><TH>R </TH><TH>H </TH><TH>HR </TH><TH>RBI </TH><TH>SB </TH><TH>BB </TH><TH>SO </TH><TH>AVG </TH><TH>OBP </TH><TH>SLG </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Player A </TD><TD>127 </TD><TD>19 </TD><TD>36 </TD><TD>2 </TD><TD>10 </TD><TD>2 </TD><TD>10 </TD><TD>15 </TD><TD>.283 </TD><TD>.336 </TD><TD>.354 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Player B </TD><TD>127 </TD><TD>20 </TD><TD>34 </TD><TD>3 </TD><TD>9 </TD><TD>1 </TD><TD>15 </TD><TD>21 </TD><TD>.268 </TD><TD>.345 </TD><TD>.386 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Player B has slightly more walks and strikeouts, but otherwise, this is the same player. As you can see, at this point in the season, that difference in average is only two hits. Player B is Yunel Escobar. Player A? Derek Jeter.

Blind résumé No. 7

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>AB </TH><TH>R </TH><TH>H </TH><TH>HR </TH><TH>RBI </TH><TH>BB </TH><TH>SO </TH><TH>AVG </TH><TH>OBP </TH><TH>SLG </TH><TH>HR/FB% </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Player A </TD><TD>113 </TD><TD>17 </TD><TD>25 </TD><TD>5 </TD><TD>18 </TD><TD>22 </TD><TD>25 </TD><TD>.221 </TD><TD>.346 </TD><TD>.389 </TD><TD>16.10% </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Player B </TD><TD>107 </TD><TD>15 </TD><TD>30 </TD><TD>6 </TD><TD>23 </TD><TD>10 </TD><TD>30 </TD><TD>.280 </TD><TD>.339 </TD><TD>.542 </TD><TD>17.10% </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I look at the strikeout-to-walk rates of both guys, along with their BABIPs (Player A's is .244; Player B's is .324), and I feel Player A's average will come up and Player B's will come down, bringing them closer in that category -- and they are pretty close in all other categories. Player A is Carlos Santana, and Player B? Alex Avila. Yes, he's that good.

Blind résumé No. 8

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>AB </TH><TH>R </TH><TH>HR </TH><TH>RBI </TH><TH>SB </TH><TH>BB </TH><TH>SO </TH><TH>AVG </TH><TH>BABIP </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Player A </TD><TD>92 </TD><TD>16 </TD><TD>3 </TD><TD>8 </TD><TD>5 </TD><TD>15 </TD><TD>25 </TD><TD>.239 </TD><TD>.309 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Player B </TD><TD>150 </TD><TD>16 </TD><TD>2 </TD><TD>12 </TD><TD>4 </TD><TD>12 </TD><TD>50 </TD><TD>.227 </TD><TD>.327 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Player C </TD><TD>119 </TD><TD>16 </TD><TD>2 </TD><TD>12 </TD><TD>5 </TD><TD>15 </TD><TD>14 </TD><TD>.294 </TD><TD>.315 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Three speedy outfielders here. Player A has gotten similar stats in fewer at-bats, Player C's strikeout-to-walk ratio suggests his average is not a fluke and Player B is, well, a strikeout machine, so that batting average isn't likely to shoot up.
Player A is Brett Gardner, owned in 94 percent of leagues. Player B is Austin Jackson, owned in 37 percent of leagues. And Player C is Michael Brantley, owned in just 16 percent of leagues.

Blind résumé No. 9

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>W </TH><TH>GS </TH><TH>IP </TH><TH>BB </TH><TH>SO </TH><TH>ERA </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Pitcher A </TD><TD>5 </TD><TD>12 </TD><TD>71 1/3 </TD><TD>20 </TD><TD>71 </TD><TD>3.03 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Pitcher B </TD><TD>9 </TD><TD>17 </TD><TD>116 </TD><TD>34 </TD><TD>107 </TD><TD>3.10 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Pitcher C </TD><TD>6 </TD><TD>16 </TD><TD>104 </TD><TD>20 </TD><TD>82 </TD><TD>3.29 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Three starting pitchers. They have a different number of innings pitched, but all have good ERAs and similar strikeout-to-walk rates. Pitcher A has the best strikeout-per-nine rate of the group, averaging basically a strikeout per inning. These numbers are from Aug. 15 of last year through Wednesday. Pitcher B is CC Sabathia. Pitcher C is another fantasy favorite, although slightly less than Sabathia, the Giants' Matt Cain.
And the reason I chose Aug. 15 for this sample size is that's the date when Pitcher A, Homer Bailey of the Reds, came off a long DL stint and pitched his first game since May 23, and because he has pitched in only two games this season thanks to a shoulder injury that knocked him out late in spring training. So, although he's not exactly an iron horse, Bailey is available in 74 percent of leagues but deserving of much more ownership.

Blind résumé No. 10

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>GS </TH><TH>IP </TH><TH>k/9 </TH><TH>BB/9 </TH><TH>HR/9 </TH><TH>HR/FB </TH><TH>FIP </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Pitcher A </TD><TD>7 </TD><TD>39 1/3 </TD><TD>5.26 </TD><TD>4.58 </TD><TD>1.37 </TD><TD>12.2% </TD><TD>5.27 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Pitcher B </TD><TD>7 </TD><TD>35 2/3 </TD><TD>5.30 </TD><TD>6.81 </TD><TD>1.26 </TD><TD>11.6% </TD><TD>5.93 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ugh. Nothing terribly pretty here. Player B has real problems with control, but both guys are giving up too many home runs and not striking out enough guys. FIP, which is a fielding-independent statistic, is what each pitcher's ERA should look like after you take luck and fielding out of the equation. Pitcher A is the ol' innings-eater, Joe Saunders. Player B is Francisco Liriano, with stats that include his no-hitter. This is what he is right now, kids. He's Joe Saunders with a better name. Are you really hanging on to Saunders?

Blind résumé No. 11

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>GS </TH><TH>IP </TH><TH>k/9 </TH><TH>BB/9 </TH><TH>HR/9 </TH><TH>LOB% </TH><TH>HR/FB </TH><TH>ERA </TH><TH>FIP </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Pitcher A </TD><TD>8 </TD><TD>51 2/3 </TD><TD>8.88 </TD><TD>3.48 </TD><TD>1.22 </TD><TD>87.2% </TD><TD>15.6% </TD><TD>2.96 </TD><TD>4.05 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Pitcher B </TD><TD>7 </TD><TD>43 </TD><TD>8.79 </TD><TD>3.56 </TD><TD>0.63 </TD><TD>73.7% </TD><TD>6.8% </TD><TD>3.14 </TD><TD>3.14 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Two more starting pitchers, both pretty good ones. Pitcher A has one more start, gives up more home runs but also seems to be luckier, with a very high strand rate that is much higher than his career norm of 76.6 percent. So Pitcher A has been luckier this year, but both are very good pitchers. I wouldn't worry if I owned Pitcher A, Jon Lester. But it's nice to see Pitcher B, whom I've lovingly written about for three years now, finally put it all together and join the elite level, even if no one realizes it yet. His name? Jorge De La Rosa.

Blind résumé No. 12

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>GS </TH><TH>IP </TH><TH>k/9 </TH><TH>BB/9 </TH><TH>HR/9 </TH><TH>BABIP </TH><TH>LOB% </TH><TH>ERA </TH><TH>FIP </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Pitcher A </TD><TD>7 </TD><TD>41 </TD><TD>9.00 </TD><TD>2.41 </TD><TD>0.66 </TD><TD>.262 </TD><TD>77.9% </TD><TD>2.63 </TD><TD>2.83 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Pitcher B </TD><TD>7 </TD><TD>44 1/3 </TD><TD>8.73 </TD><TD>2.64 </TD><TD>0.41 </TD><TD>.331 </TD><TD>63.4% </TD><TD>4.47 </TD><TD>2.59 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A study in contrast, as both have very similar underlying numbers, but one seems to have been the victim of bad luck and the other hasn't. Which is why the owners of Pitcher A, Tommy Hanson, are so happy. But perhaps you can still buy low on Pitcher B, Daniel Hudson.

Blind résumé No. 13

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH></TH><TH>IP </TH><TH>K </TH><TH>BB </TH><TH>ERA </TH><TH>WHIP </TH><TH>SV </TH><TH>SVO </TH></TR><TBODY><TR class=last><TD>Closer A </TD><TD>46 </TD><TD>48 </TD><TD>19 </TD><TD>1.77 </TD><TD>1.05 </TD><TD>31 </TD><TD>32 </TD></TR><TR class=last><TD>Closer B </TD><TD>45 </TD><TD>42 </TD><TD>17 </TD><TD>1.41 </TD><TD>0.96 </TD><TD>26 </TD><TD>28 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Here are two closers, both among the elite. There are slightly more save opportunities for Closer A, but those fluctuate. Otherwise, you are looking at the two best closers in baseball since July 17, 2010, through Wednesday, as determined by saves conversion rate. Telling you that Closer A is Heath Bell shouldn't shock you. But I chose July 17 because that was the date Closer B, Chris Perez, had his first save with the Indians after Kerry Wood was dealt. I mentioned Perez in my preseason Love/Hate this year with this same stat, and he's kept it up. Perez is never mentioned in the elite class of closer, but he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ezwindows
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com