MLB Fantasy News 2011

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
No worries about Yovani Gallardo
in.gif

Jason Grey

Yovani Gallardo was a top-20 pick among starting pitchers in most mixed leagues, but the Milwaukee Brewers' ace has scuffled his past couple of outings after throwing a two-hit shutout in his second start of the season. As I often say, when a player puts together a good or bad three-week stretch in the middle of July, it kind of gets lost in the season stats. But it's magnified when he puts up those same numbers in the first three weeks of the season, and perhaps it's given too much significance.

Gallardo really hasn't had that monster year yet that his raw ability suggests he's capable of. That's not meant to disparage his two 200-strikeout seasons in any way, it's just that we get the feeling there's a little more untapped potential in him. That said, he certainly pitched well enough to post better numbers in the non-strikeout categories last season, but some poor luck and below-average team defense did him no favors. The 25-year-old right-hander was able to lower his walk rate from 4.6 to 3.7 batters per nine innings while still managing to keep his whiff rate above a batter per inning. While we'd still like to see that walk rate a little lower, which also might address his propensity to run up his pitch counts, at least there was some progression.
"Obviously I want to go a lot deeper into games," Gallardo told me this spring. "I'm continuing to work on it, but sometimes you just have those days where you're battling just to try to get through [the game]."

After putting together a great spring training, there has been nothing wrong with YoGa's velocity. He's still firing his fastball in the usual ranges, and he's still blending the same three-pitch mix, which includes two plus secondary offerings, an 11-to-5 curveball and a slider with late tilt. The biggest concern about Gallardo's numbers so far this season: his strikeout rate, which is currently at just 4.6 K's per nine innings after four starts.
While Gallardo's velocity is fine, and the movement on his stuff is there, his location is lacking right now. He was done in by two three-run homers in Sunday's start, both on pitches that missed their spots badly.
When he's on, Gallardo's fastball has good life down in the zone, which helps keep the ball in the park and limit the damage from his walks. I could nitpick the pitch mix and say I'd like to see a few more curveballs, a few less sliders and maybe a little more use of his seldom-thrown changeup -- a pitch that has shown some potential in the past when he gets good velocity separation -- but as I said, that would be nitpicking. The stuff is there.
Gallardo doesn't get as many swings-and-misses on his fastball as you might suspect, given his strikeout rate, but it's still his key pitch. It sets up the breaking balls, and I hearken back to a 2010 quote from Gregg Zaun, his regular catcher last season, that strikes me as being pretty apt in this situation.
"His fastball command can be here and there," Zaun said. "He's close to eliminating those bad games where he doesn't have that fastball working like he needs to. That's the difference. The great ones always seem to have it, or work around it when they don't."
While I understand the potential concerns regarding his early strikeout rate, and I do see Gallardo having some issues with over-throwing, I'm not going to get overly concerned with what I view to be little more than inconsistent command after four starts. Simply put, there's no reason to panic. Barring any new information about some injury or discomfort, there's nothing to be worried about here.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
How productive will Grady Sizemore be?
in.gif

Eric Karabell

It's usually futile to compare two players battling the same injury when it comes to their recoveries and expectations because, of course, everyone is different. However, there was some symmetry to the way fantasy owners compared former stud outfielders Grady Sizemore and Carlos Beltran for much of the past two seasons, as their balky knees were being repaired from past shredding. I got the impression fantasy owners targeted Sizemore and Beltran more based on fond memories, because optimism wasn't exactly abundant.

Watching Beltran limp around for the New York Mets the past few weeks has been painful to watch. Surely it has been more painful for him than anyone else, but I just can't see him stealing bases ever again. What a shame, since Beltran is one of the highest-percentage base stealers of this era and an exceptional overall talent. I'm hoping he can still play in 120 games and hit 20 home runs this season, and it seems fantasy owners believe that's eminently possible, despite considerable risk, since Beltran was the 48th outfielder off the board in ESPN average live drafts and remains owned in more than 95 percent of leagues.
On Sunday, fantasy owners got to see Sizemore lead off for the Cleveland Indians and contribute a home run and double in four at-bats. The performance made him the talk of the town Monday. Sizemore is owned in 89.8 percent of ESPN standard leagues, a lower percentage than Beltran despite that Sizemore was drafted four rounds ahead of Beltran. Fantasy owners shouldn't overrate one productive game, but there are reasons to be more optimistic about Sizemore, and I suspect in the coming days he'll be the more popular player. Beltran just looks tentative and slow, a shell of his former self. Perhaps Sizemore will look that way in a month, but so far, so good.
Sizemore had microfracture surgery on his left knee less than a year ago, and the road to recovery was pretty steady. We didn't hear about setbacks or second opinions or any of the stuff surrounding the Beltran saga. The Indians didn't rush him back, and they plan to be careful in using him consecutive days for awhile until he proves himself. Some would argue Sizemore hasn't been healthy since his 33-homer, 38-steal season of 2008. The knee problem became a factor as early as 2009. But the fact of the matter is he remains a player in his prime at 28 years old. We should not expect him to steal 30 bases anytime soon, but he certainly doesn't have the same mileage on the tires as Beltran, who turns 34 next week.
There are a number of differences between these once-elite center fielders other than age. For one, Sizemore has one bad knee. Beltran underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee in January 2010, but his left knee was the one succumbing to tendinitis and needing cortisone shots last month. Beltran now plays right field, and other than a two-homer game against Washington last week he hasn't done much this season. He has yet to attempt a stolen base.
The Indians' plan initially is to play Sizemore in center field 4-5 games per week, and he'll remain in the leadoff spot. They seem to have confidence the procedure on Sizemore's knee was a success. And whereas Beltran's swing isn't the same -- not sure if it's because of his knee brace or lack of strength or some other reason -- Sizemore's lefty swing certainly looks good. Of course, the bigger test comes in future days. We shall see. For now, I'd call Sizemore the one fantasy owners should own in standard, 10-team formats. I could see 120 total games -- let's be realistic here -- with more than 20 home runs and between 10-15 stolen bases for the season. Let's remember that in 2009 Sizemore hit 18 home runs and stole 13 bases, on a balky knee, in only 106 games. Beltran looked really good in his brief time in 2009, but I don't feel as good about his recovery and would leave him not owned in shallow leagues.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Three hot Rockies to consider picking up
in.gif

Eric Karabell

No major league team enters Monday with a better record than the Colorado Rockies, and it's easy to see why. Outfielder Carlos Gonzalez was arguably the top player in the game a year ago, and he remains terrific, while shortstop Troy Tulowitzki has proven he isn't a first-round pick in fantasy just because of the position he plays; he leads baseball in home runs with seven. On the mound, relative newcomer Jhoulys Chacin has looked dominant, and the return of Ubaldo Jimenez this week surely won't hurt. Meanwhile, closer Huston Street is humming along with six saves.

Those are the five Rockies owned in 100 percent of ESPN standard leagues, but of course they aren't doing it alone. Here are three other members of this team who warrant more fantasy attention:

Jonathan Herrera, second base: The speedy middle infielder in this organization that fantasy owners keep flocking to is Eric Young Jr., but he can't stay healthy, and when he has been with the big club, he hasn't hit or impressed in the field. Herrera isn't likely to approach 30 stolen bases, but he has taken over the starting job, and I don't see him giving it up anytime soon. The most startling number I see in his 10-game sample size of statistics isn't the .400 batting average or the four stolen bases; Herrera has drawn 11 walks against just three strikeouts. He has scored 10 runs in nine starts, and he's hitting in the coveted No. 2 lineup slot.
Furthermore, Herrera is a switch hitter, with no obvious weakness from either side of the plate, and he held his own in 76 games a year ago, providing a .352 on-base percentage. Don't look for power here; Herrera slaps the ball around the diamond, and in eight minor league seasons he had 25 triples and 26 home runs, even in high-altitude stadiums. You don't need to own Young Jr., and Jose Lopez probably will play more than Ian Stewart at third base. So I see Herrera keeping this starting role, hitting close to .300, stealing 20-25 bases and scoring a ton of runs. Herrera finds himself on ESPN's most added list, and I say it's legitimate.
Seth Smith, outfield: We always knew he could hit, and now he certainly appears to be truly breaking out with the likes of Brad Hawpe and Ryan Spilborghs out of the way. Smith is tied for the National League lead with seven doubles, and while he's still sitting against most southpaw pitchers, fantasy owners should find that to be a positive. Sure, he isn't likely to hit 30 home runs or knock in 100 runs over 450 at-bats, but do you want what happened to Adam Lind last season, with awful numbers versus lefties destroying his batting average? Smith sports an .884 OPS against right-handed pitching in his career. Yes, he's more productive at Coors Field than on the road, but so what? Coors Field is not going anywhere. I'd call Smith a worthwhile fifth fantasy outfielder who you slot in for his homestands. There's value in that. Jorge De La Rosa, starting pitcher: I thought about recommending right-hander Esmil Rogers, but he has had one good start and one bad start, and most of what I see in his previous minor league and major league work scares me. De La Rosa, on the other hand, fanned 193 hitters in his breakout 2009, winning 16 games. Yes, his ERA and WHIP were a bit higher than we would like, but he actually improved those numbers in 2010, with only a slight decline to his strikeout rate. De La Rosa trusts his changeup more than he did two seasons ago, and he's one of a few left-handers who can induce ground balls while also missing a whole lot of bats. ESPN Fantasy projected De La Rosa for 179 strikeouts in 189 innings, and similar peripheral numbers to last season. I'd take those numbers, but there's room for considerable improvement, as well. De La Rosa is higher on the most added list than Herrera, and I feel he should be owned even in 10-team formats.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Electric Tribe
It took a bit of extra-innings heroics, but the Indians won yet another ballgame on Monday night and now boast the American League's best record at 12-4.

They're getting contributions from all around. Travis Hafner looks like a new man, sporting a .353/.414/.647 batting line and four home runs through 51 at-bats. Asdrubal Cabrera leads the club with 14 RBI, Justin Masterson is delivering ace-like performances every time out, and closer Chris Perez has allowed only two hits in seven appearances. He has five saves.

Then there's Grady Sizemore.

The 28-year-old was activated from the disabled list on Sunday and slugged a home run in his second plate appearance of the season. It was his first big fly since August of 2009 and he went 3-for-5 with a double and a run scored in an encore performance Monday night against the Royals. If Sizemore hits like he's capable of hitting and his knees stay cooperative, perhaps the Tribe can turn this early season spurt into something real.

They've won four straight games and 12 of their last 14. Now let's hit the news...

* White Sox starter Jake Peavy was lifted from a rehab start on Monday at Double-A Birmingham due to discomfort in his throwing shoulder. He was expected to throw around 90 pitches, but the outing was halted after the right-hander had allowed three earned runs in less than an inning of work. He made only 15 throws. There's no telling when Peavy might be ready to return to the major leagues and he is no longer worth stashing in fantasy leagues that don't allow a DL spot.

* Mariners center fielder Franklin Gutierrez has been on the disabled list since the start of the regular season due to digestive issues and it's not looking any better here in mid-April. The 28-year-old has been sent to the world-renowned Mayo Clinic and the M's are hoping that a new round of doctors will be able to provide Guti with a few more answers about his condition. His rehab has been put on hold and he has already lost 15 pounds, so it's going to be a while before we see him back in the major leagues. Ryan Langerhans and Michael Saunders will continue to benefit from the extra playing time.

* The Giants made a mildly surprising move at the start of the regular season, naming Brandon Belt their Opening Day first baseman and shifting Aubrey Huff to the outfield. They might already be prepared to abandon that plan. Belt has displayed a healthy amount of plate discipline with eight walks in 16 games, but he's batting only .196 with a .275 slugging percentage and outfielder Cody Ross is just about ready to return from his calf strain. The 23-year-old Belt could be sent back to Triple-A Fresno for a bit more marinating while Huff recaptures starting first base duties.

National League Quick Hits: Reds right-hander Mike Leake was arrested Monday at a downtown Cincinnati Macy's after attempting to leave the store with nearly $60 in merchandise … Carlos Zambrano struck out 10 batters over eight dominant innings Monday against the Padres … Brewers starter Shaun Marcum has a 1.90 ERA through four starts this season … Jason Bay will return to the Mets on Thursday … Jerry Sands had a double and a sacrifice fly Monday in his major league debut with the Dodgers … Reds setup man Aroldis Chapman was back to throwing 100 MPH heat on Monday in a perfect inning against the Pirates … Jason Heyward has begun batting in the No. 2 hole for the Braves with a little more regularity … Dioner Navarro is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment this week … Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez is batting just .193/.258/.228 on the season and was given Monday off to clear his head … Barry Zito will be sidelined for around a month with a mid-foot sprain … Kevin Correia earned a complete game victory Monday in the Pirates' defeat of the Reds … Dodgers outfielder Jay Gibbons is still having vision problems … Ryan Howard already has 15 RBI … Chase Utley ran Monday and took infield practice … Despite the early season success, the Rockies may begin scaling back Huston Street's workload … Ronny Paulino has one hit in four rehab games at Single-A Port St. Lucie … Dodgers starter Ted Lilly fired seven shutout innings Monday against the Braves … The Dodgers designated outfielder Xavier Paul for assignment … Brandon Phillips remains day-to-day with a groin injury … Pirates starter Ross Ohlendorf is likely out until mid-May due to a shoulder strain … Domonic Brown played his first extended spring training game Monday … J.C. Romero is headed for the disabled list with a calf injury.

American League Quick Hits: Tigers catcher Victor Martinez was pulled from Monday's game with a strained right groin … Evan Longoria is scheduled to begin taking dry swings Tuesday and is still on track to return before the end of April … Tommy Hunter will throw his first bullpen session in three weeks on Tuesday afternoon … Angels reliever Scott Downs is day-to-day with the flu … Rays lefty David Price threw eight shutout innings and fanned nine batters Monday against the White Sox … Jason Donald's rehab assignment has been put on hold as he recovers from a mild groin strain … Dr. James Andrews has advised Pedro Feliciano to rehab his ailing shoulder rather than undergo a surgical procedure … Carl Crawford was bumped to seventh in the Boston batting order Monday … Eric Hurley suffered a head contusion Monday when he was struck by a comebacker … Tigers starter Max Scherzer moved to 3-0 on Monday with a win over the Mariners … Johnny Damon is day-to-day with a bruised left middle finger … Drew Butera put on a surprising offensive displayed Monday, finishing 2-for-4 with three RBI in the Twins' defeat of the Orioles … Tigers setup man Joel Zumaya remains out indefinitely but was found to have no nerve damage in his surgically-repaired elbow on Monday … Joel Pineiro and Scott Kazmir are just about ready to begin minor league rehab assignments … Twins infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka remains on track to return from his fractured fibula by the end of May … The A's placed Dallas Braden on the 15-day disabled list with a stiff left shoulder … Justin Morneau was held out of Monday's lineup due to the flu … Brian Matusz threw off flat ground Monday from 90 feet … Adam Jones hit his third home run of the season Monday against the Twins.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Ubaldo's Back, Stewart Packs

Tuesday featured two notable moves from the Rockies: One of them (the return of Ubaldo Jimenez) was expected; the other (Ian Stewart's demotion) came as considerably more of a surprise.

First, Ubaldo: His pitching line wasn't all that pretty (5.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 K's), but he gave up all four of those runs (including a three-run jack to the resurgent Pablo Sandoval) in the first inning, then quieted down to surrender only three baserunners the rest of the way, notably whiffing Sandoval on a 96 mph fastball on his last pitch of the day. Additionally, his splitter was operating with vicious downward movement, and I would expect something a lot closer to a vintage line when he faces the Cubs on Monday.

As for Stewart, the Rockies had simply seen enough after the third baseman got off to a 2-for-26 start following injury troubles with his hamstring and knee during spring training. He'll be back at some point, but the fact that he no longer has 2B eligibility (and has averaged 22 HR but just 66 RBI the past two years) makes it relatively easy to cut Stewart loose in shallow mixed leagues. Ty Wigginton and Jose Lopez stand to benefit, but Wigginton (1-for-2 with two walks against lefty Jonathan Sanchez Tuesday and carrying the aforementioned 2B eligibility) would be the more intriguing waiver add of the two.

In other news…

Victor Martinez (groin) hit the 15-day DL Tuesday after aggravating his injury in an attempt to return to action on Monday. Omir Santos was called up to join Detroit's roster, but Alex Avila will get the majority of the starts behind the plate in Martinez's absence. V-Mart had five hits in his last 10 at-bats before hitting the DL, but will have to wait at least two weeks before looking to improve his .250 average and 709 OPS with two homers and nine RBI thus far.

Tony La Russa indicated that there would be a "role change" for struggling closer Ryan Franklin, and though it's not exactly clear how long the duration of that change might be, Mitchell Boggs (2.00 ERA, 0.67 WHIP, 12/3 K/BB ratio in 9.0 IP) is worth a speculative add wherever available.

In other closer-related news, the Blue Jays activated Frank Francisco, but the right-hander may not take over ninth inning duties from Jon Rauch right away given that manager John Farrell praised Jon Rauch's work over the weekend. Francisco and Rauch are both worth carrying on fantasy rosters for the time being.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattStroup

Terry Francona said in a radio appearance that he plans to start Jed Lowrie as long as he's hot after seeing the shortstop hit an absurd .625 (15-for-24) with two homers and nine RBI over his previous seven games. Lowrie proceeded to go 0-for-4 with two strikeouts while hitting leadoff Tuesday, but still warrants a roster spot at the moment given his recent run.

Zack Greinke (rib) threw three scoreless innings in a rehab start at High-A, hitting the 91-94 MPH range with his fastball. He's expected to make three more rehab starts before being activated.

Two Atlanta-related takeaways from an admittedly biased Braves fan: 1) Brandon Beachy (6 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K's) looked very sharp in a win over the Dodgers, and his 3.86 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 24/9 K/BB ratio in 23.1 IP speak to a player who should be owned in more than 17 percent of Yahoo leagues; 2) Freddie Freeman's power is no joke. His homer on Tuesday was a shot to left center off Hiroki Kuroda, and I've seen Freeman just miss homers at least twice in the past week. The rookie is likely to land close to must-own territory in mixed leagues sooner rather than later, and there's nothing wrong with getting ahead of the trend now.

NL Quick Hits (pitchers): Mike Leake (clothing theft) will start against Arizona on Thursday … Wandy Rodriguez (7.31 ERA, 1.81 WHIP prior to Tuesday) held the Mets to one run on three hits in seven innings ... Josh Johnson moved to 3-0 after dominating the Pirates for seven innings ... Randy Wolf shut out the Philles over six innings, continuing to rebound after a brutal spring ... Randy Wells (forearm) and Andrew Cashner (shoulder) are both expected to begin throwing programs on Friday, but Wells is on course to return sooner.

NL Quick Hits (position players): Logan Morrison left the stadium wearing a protective boot after straining the arch in his left foot, but could play Wednesday ... Brandon Belt didn't start again on Tuesday and could be demoted when Cody Ross (calf) is activated Wednesday ... Jason Bay (rib cage) may get activated a day early (Wednesday) after going 4-for-4 with two homers at High-A St. Lucie ... Nationals beat writer Bill Ladson was informed that the Rays aren't interested in trading B.J. Upton right now ... With Melvin Mora a late scratch due to a jammed left foot, Ryan Roberts homered twice and has become a must-own in NL-Only formats given his 1.226 OPS in limited action thus far ... Seth Smith (groin) appeared as a pinch-hitter … Brandon Phillips (groin) returned to action, going 2-for-4 ... The Mets designated Brad Emaus for assignment and called up Justin Turner, who's worth a look in NL-Only leagues as he takes over at second base.

AL Quick Hits (pitchers): Jake Peavy (lat) is expected to miss one start after an MRI showed muscle tenderness irritation ... Dallas Braden (shoulder) is slated to visit Dr. Lewis Yocum on Wednesday ... James Shields dominated the White Sox in a complete-game, 2-1 win ... Brett Anderson shut out the Red Sox for eight innings en route to his first win of the season … Meanwhile, the struggling John Lackey finally notched a respectable outing with six innings of one-run ball in the losing effort … Joakim Soria picked up his fifth save after loading the bases in the ninth ... I'm not personally much of a believer, but Bruce Chen should be surfacing on the radar in deeper mixed leagues after moving to 3-0 with a 2.42 ERA … Tommy Hunter (groin) threw a bullpen session and appears to be close to beginning a rehab assignment ... Brandon Morrow (forearm) will return from the DL on Saturday ... Brian Matusz (intercostal strain) will throw from 120 feet Wednesday and could throw off a mound later this week … David Aardsma (hip) is expected to make three or four rehab appearances before rejoining the Mariners.

Editor's Note: For exclusive columns, rankings, projections and more, check out Rotoworld's MLB Season Pass.

AL Quick Hits (position players): Alex Rodriguez (oblique) expects to return Wednesday ... Johnny Damon (finger) is hoping he'll do the same ... Aaron Hill (hamstring) left Tuesday's game early and is considered day-to-day... Rajai Davis (ankle) could begin a rehab assignment on Friday in hopes of returning next week ... Adam Dunn's .162 average may get him moved down in the order... Delmon Young and Justin Morneau were out of the lineup due to the flu ... Peter Bourjos (4-for-5, a homer, three RBI) is worth a close look in deeper mixed leagues given the potential for steals and power (in that order) … Justin Smoak (bereavement list) is expected to miss 3-7 days, with Adam Kennedy and Chris Gimenez comprising a stay-away-in-mixed-leagues platoon until he returns ... The Angels activated Erick Aybar (oblique) from the DL, designating former top prospect Brandon Wood for assignment ... Chone Figgins raised his average to .188 with a 3-for-4 night.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Ryan Franklin Out as Closer

He may not be a closer, but Mike Leake finished the weekend in style. He was arrested for stealing $60 worth of shirts from Macy's, which is ridiculous for a man making about half a million dollars this year. Even more so for a man that had four times that amount in cash in his wallet.

Leake's arrest is just another in a line of baseball's bonehead run-ins with the law. Baseball players may not be much more likely to get arrested than the average bloke, but they certainly don't seem to be doing it in smart fashion.

So what we'll do is name our closer tiers in their honor. For the purposes of this exercise, the more ridiculous the example, the higher the tier. Because, if nothing else, we'll remember them for their follies.

Tier 1: Elite (4) (AKA: The "Matt Bush" Tier.)

Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees
Neftali Feliz, Texas Rangers
Heath Bell, San Diego Padres
Joakim Soria, Kansas City Royals

Matt Bush was once arrested for driving (drunk) on to a school campus, screaming at some freshman lacrosse players… and then throwing one. Frosh-toss someone, end up in the police blotter, and you'll reign reprehensibly and ridiculously over our tiers, much like these closers reign over the league.
Evidently, Mariano Rivera was mad that we didn't put him in the top tier to begin the year. He's not looking anything like his 41 years of age. Even after blowing his first save of the season Tuesday night, he's only walked one batter all year, and eight hits in ten appearances. Yeah, he's still got it.
Joakim Soria should be fine, but he's walked just as many as he's struck out this year and is in danger of dropping to the next tier if he keeps that up. There's already some whispers about whether or not the Royals will trade their closer in the second half. It does seem, however, that this team is trying to claw their way back to respectability - short term signings like Jeff Francoeur and Melky Cabrera suggest that they want to win some games and don't mind blocking some prospects. If they do think they will be competitive soon, they won't trade the Mexpatriot.

Tier 2: Rock Steady (5) (AKA: The "Mike Leake" Tier.)

Brian Wilson, San Francisco Giants
Carlos Marmol, Chicago Cubs
Jonathan Papelbon, Boston Red Sox
Craig Kimbrel, Atlanta Braves
pos_arrow.gif
J.J. Putz, Arizona Diamondbacks

J.J. Putz is healthy now, so let's not think about his past. He hasn't walked a guy or blown a save this year. In fact, he's only given up one earned run so far. He deserves to be in this tier while his arm is still attached.
Brian Wilson has settled in after his tumultuous return from the disabled list. He hasn't given up a run (and only one walk) since his first two appearances, and is looking absolutely filthy on the mound. He's even added a two-seamer that has made some batters look really, really silly. Wilson would be the next man in line should someone in the elite tier falter.
A contending team like the Red Sox won't trade Jonathan Papelbon mid-season, most likely. And the closer has struck out eight against only two walks this year, with one sole earned run on the register. His velocity is not all the way back, but he's still throwing 94 regularly. That's 'not bad.'
Craig Kimbrel walked a dude finally. That's ten strikeouts and one walk in his first six innings this year. Fire!

Tier 3: OK options (5) (AKA: The "Randall Simon" Tier.)

Francisco Rodriguez, New York Mets
Jose Valverde, Detroit Tigers
Joel Hanrahan, Pittsburgh Pirates
Chris Perez, Cleveland Indians
Huston Street, Colorado Rockies
pos_arrow.gif
Francisco Cordero, Cincinnati Reds

Comment:
Randall Simon was booked in 2003 for hitting one of the Milwaukee Brewers' racing sausages with a bat. He hit a big, foam, person-filled sausage with a bat. In the end, he didn't serve time - just a three-game suspension - so it just ended up being a bad week for him.
Huston Street had a bad week this past week. He did manage a save, but he didn't strike out a single batter in three appearances, walked one, gave up a home run, and almost blew a save against the Mets. Matt Lindstrom came in to nail down the save, but Street is still the closer. A few strikeouts would be nice, but Street should be fine. Overall, he still has 11 strikeouts in 11 1/3 innings, against only four walks.
Contrast that work with Francisco Cordero's effort recently - he has five strikeouts against two walks in six innings - and you'll see how different the sample sizes are for each closer. We're stuck reading the tea leaves, and those leaves are mixed when it comes to Cordero. His velocity is down almost two miles per hour, but his results have been okay so far. Call this a cautious promotion, especially with Aroldis Chapman hitting 105 on the gun this week. He's lurking in that pen should Cordero's lack of velocity catch up to him.

Tier 4: Question marks (6) (AKA: The "Jae-Kuk Ryu" Tier.)

Leo Nunez, Florida Marlins
Jonathan Broxton, Los Angeles Dodgers
Jordan Walden, Anaheim Angels
pos_arrow.gif
Kyle Farnsworth, Tampa Bay Rays
Kevin Gregg, Baltimore Orioles
John Axford, Milwaukee Brewers

Comment:
Ryu, a minor leaguer in the Cubs organization in 2003, hit a bird that nested at the park he was visiting. Ozzy the osprey was eventually fine, but with his eye bleeding after the game, Ryu was booked for animal cruelty.
Good thing that Ryu didn't have the gas of a Jonathan Broxton or he would have killed the endangered bird. Unfortunately for Broxton, he still doesn't have his career strikeout rate or velocity back. Over the past week, he has struck out four batters in three innings, and some of the velocity seemed to be creeping back. On the other hand, he also gave up three runs in those three appearances. It's still a mixed bag.
Jordan Walden is cooking with 96-MPH gas and striking out batters at a double-digit rate, so his slightly higher walk rate is not super concerning. Fernando Rodney is pitching well, but it's Walden… for now.
Kyle Farnsworth just keeps pitching well and getting the opportunities in Tampa Bay. He could do it all year with a few blowups. On the other hand, John Axford may not make it through the year. He used to have control problems, and they are back in full force this year. The problem with taking advantage of this situation is that there's no clear successor. Of the regular bullpen options this year, only Kameron Loe has the rates of a closer - but his fastball barely cracks 90 MPH. Young Zach Braddock has been groomed for the role but has been much less exciting this year. LaTroy Hawkins has finished his rehab, too. Who knows what's going on here.
<!--RW-->

Tier 5: Rollercoaster rides (9) (AKA: The "Vince Naimoli" Tier.)

neg_arrow.gif
Matt Capps, Minnesota Twins
Brandon Lyon, Houston Astros
Jose Contreras, Philadelphia Phillies
pos_arrow.gif
Frank Francisco / Jon Rauch, Toronto Blue Jays
Sean Burnett / Drew Storen, Washington Nationals
Brian Fuentes, Oakland Athletics
Brandon League, Seattle Mariners
Mitchell Boggs / Jason Motte / Ryan Franklin, St. Louis Cardinals
neg_arrow.gif
Sergio Santos / Jesse Crain / Chris Sale / Matt Thornton, Chicago White Sox

Comment:
Vince Naimoli was once pulled over for a DUI. Among his first words to the officer was the age-old refrain: "Do you know who I am?" Well, no, the cop didn't, and no, you probably wouldn't be able to spot most of these guys on the street either. At least they have some short-term value, which is more than we can say for the former Rays owner.
Joe Nathan, whose velocity is not all the way back since his surgery, volunteered to give up his closer role to the more effective Matt Capps for now. Nathan is the superior pitcher if he has his stuff, though, so this is still in flux. A few good appearances and Nathan could move up the ranks pretty quickly.
Frank Francisco is back! Don't drop Jon Rauch just yet, though. Frankie Frank, a name you'd never forget after his own chair-throwing run-in with the law, was terrible in his rehab stint, and Rauch has been dealing. Just another situation where both relievers need to be owned in most leagues.
The bottom of this tier is just a mess. Sean Burnett and Drew Storen are splitting save opportunities for now, but it's probable that Storen wins out in the end. He has the pedigree and the four-pitch mix going for him. Also, although they've both locked down saves in the past week, Burnett gave up runs in both of his two appearances and also blew an opportunity. Brandon League has been doing fine, but David Aardsma is on his way back.
The worst situation in the league, however, belongs to Ozzie Guillen in Chicago. The only pitcher in his bullpen that could close but hasn't been removed during a blow save opportunity is Sergio Santos. And Santos converted to pitching last year. Last year. This bullpen is so crazy that it's almost impossible to figure out who is going to close in the future. Ozzie himself said he had no closer. Matt Thornton had the best fastball in the league last year (and the year before), but he's getting hit around. Chris Sale, also a lefty, is young and still figuring out how to use his arsenal (and is also getting hit around). Jesse Crain is pitching well but he is throwing his fastball only 40% of the time and doesn't *seem* like a closer. Throw a dart, pick up a White Sox reliever, and cross your fingers.
Joining the White Sox as a mess is the Cardinals' bullpen. Manager Tony La Russa says that he's removed Ryan Franklin from the role for now, but didn't announce who would get saves in the meantime. Given his proclivity for veterans (ask Colby Rasmus how TLR feels about rookies), it probably won't be young fireballer Eduardo Sanchez. Jason Motte, who owns a straight but rapid fastball and nothing else, is probably the best option if you look past this year's stats. But it'll probably be Mitchell Boggs for now, because he's found a way to boost his strikeout rate in the young season. In the end, La Russa hinted that Franklin's removal was temporary when he said he'll treat his former closer as a slumping hitter. Franklin may be back shortly.

<CENTER>* * * * * * * * * *</CENTER>

Injured

David Aardsma, Seattle Mariners (hip surgery)
Andrew Bailey, Oakland Athletics (forearm tightness)
Brad Lidge, Philadelphia Phillies (shoulder)

Comment:
David Aardsma is starting his rehab assignment this week. If he's on your waiver wire, it's time to pick him up and stash him for saves later on this month. Andrew Bailey is throwing but doesn't have a schedule yet.

The Deposed:
Fernando Rodney, Los Angeles
Joe Nathan, Minnesota

Expect the newest member of this list to jump off the graveyard and back in to the land of living before long. He just needs to find his old control and stuff - it might just take another month or so. Tommy John is major surgery, we can forget that fact sometimes.

<CENTER>* * * * * * * * * *</CENTER>

The Steals Department

Dexter Fowler is available in a half to two-thirds of the leagues out there, but he has the upside to be valuable in all leagues. Over the past three years, he's made improvements in his strikeout rate - if he can carry that success over into this year, he could improve on his .260 batting average. He also has shown league-average power in his young career, if not so far this year. He is a beast against lefties, but playing every day for the most part. He's not without his flaws - he does need to continue to work at his strikeout rate, which has been poor so far in this young season - but how many other players on the waiver wire could hit better than .275 with double-digit home runs and 30 stolen bases? It's like a free Jose Tabata! Maybe.

Jarrod Dyson is pretty much universally un-owned, and that's for a multitude of reasons. He's in a crowded outfield in Kansas City, competing with Melky Cabrera and Mitch Maier for playing time in center field. It's also unclear how much contact he can make, as he struck out in about a fifth of his minor league at-bats (and more in the major leagues). That's not a terrible rate, but it's not great since he also has no power at all. On the other hand, he does take walks, and he might be the fastest player in the big leagues. He also started twice over the weekend, and has stolen five bases even though he's only been on base five times. That kind of speed, even from a flawed hitter, might be worth picking up in your deep league.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Jed Lowrie: Worth owning?
Shortstop is a terrible, terrible position. Troy Tulowitzki (who had three hits and a stolen base Wednesday) and Starlin Castro (who went one for nine in two games Wednesday) are playing well, and even when they come back to earth a little, they'll give you what you wanted from them when you drafted them. The same could be said for Jose Reyes (four singles and two stolen bases against the Astros) and Alexei Ramirez, who are doing about might be expected of them.

Then, there's a long, sad drop to the rest of the shortstop group. Asdrubal Cabrera (two singles Wednesday) is making his case to join the top, but his long minor league career suggests that he doesn't own power like this. Willie Bloomquist? He's Willie Bloomquist, move along.

There is one new member of the top that should be intriguing in leagues of any size. Jed Lowrie, who hit a home run and was in the starting lineup for the second straight day, should be owned universally. If you look past his batting average, most of what he's doing now he did last year, and with Marco Scutaro scuffling, he has a clear path to playing time. He could easily put up a decent average with close to 20 home runs and plenty of runs hitting atop a nice lineup. That upside, given the position he plays, is worth getting on your bench - at the very least.

* Predicting pitching is tough, but there's a holy trinity of peripheral statistics your pitcher can control, for the most part. Strikeouts, walks, and groundballs are the ways that a pitcher can exert control over a lineup - and if the pitcher is doing at least two of the three things well, he is more likely to keep it up. Matt Garza, in the National League at least, has been striking out the lineup and showing good control, so his fly-ball tendencies are okay. Wednesday, he struck out nine in six innings to continue that trend. Even though he struck out six Mariners in his 6 2/3 innings of one-run ball, Rick Porcello's game is limiting the walks and getting everything on the ground. He got 12 groundouts against four flyouts, so kudos. Even after two straight good starts, he's still risky, if only because those two starts were against the Athletics and Mariners. The surprising Aaron Harang (two runs, five strikeouts and no walks in six innings for a win against the Cubs) has really found usefulness again by limiting his walks, and pitching in a great stadium for a fly-ball pitcher. He strikes out just enough guys to make it work. Even Nick Blackburn, who's not great, limits the walks and gets half his balls on the ground when he's being himself. He walked one against the Orioles - but was done in by the home runs (Vladimir Guerrero and Matt Wieters).

But if a pitcher is only doing one thing well, it's time to be a little worried. Clay Buchholz, for instance, limited the Athletics to one run but walked four against one strikeout. He's getting groundballs, but he needs to to work on the other two facets to get better. Jorge De La Rosa struck out six in seven two-run innings against the Giants, but he's risky because he has iffy control and is a fly-ball pitcher. Don't worry about Dustin Moseley - even with his six shutout innings Wednesday, he's struck out eight batters in 25+ innings. That won't fly even with great control. John Lannan gave up only two runs to the Cardinals, but his control is average and he doesn't strike anyone out. He's droppable in any format. Despite striking out six in five innings Wednesday night against the Marlins, Charlie Morton is droppable because the one thing he's done reliably this year is get groundballs (11 of 'em to one fly ball Wednesday, though).

Even with this rubric in your pocket, there are troublesome pitchers. Against the Phillies Wednesday, Chris Narveson struck out four in six innings, got more groundballs than flyballs, but also showed iffy control with three walks. He's been getting strikeouts despite walking close to four batters per nine this year. And he's also about an average guy with respect to his groundball rate. He's borderline. You could maybe say the same about Ricky Nolasco - who has long struck out plenty of batters, and walked them at a stingy rate, and yet struggled. Perhaps Wendnesday's start - four hits, seven scoreless with eight strikeouts and one walk - will be the start of something good. Zach Britton is a groundballer at heart (12 groundballs against six flyballs in a win against the Twins), but he might need to limit the walks more to continue his fine run, as his strikeout rate is TBD and won't be his strength most likely. I'm happy to discuss these cases on twitter with you further!

* Some bullpen news came out of the action. Drew Storen pitched four scoreless outs against the Cardinals. Sean Burnett gave up a run earlier in that game, and has more of a career platoon split than Storen, who is looking more and more like the sole closer with every passing day. Burnett is nigh-droppable in shallower leagues. Ryan Franklin may find his way back to the closer's role eventually, but he gave up a home run Wednesday in middle relief, so not yet. And Mitchell Boggs looked very closer-ly in locking down the save, with velocity and a good enough slider to make it work. He shouldn't be a free agent in any league, really. For the Brewers, LaTroy Hawkins (shoulder) should return from the DL on Friday, and may work his way into the closer role if John Axford continues to struggle with his control. Kyle Farnsworth got his fourth save Wednesday night and looks solid enough to keep the job all year.

* Flawed hitters can be useful hitters, too. Seth Smith collected two hits and scored three times in his return to the Rockies' lineup. He's worth rostering, but he's also worth sitting against lefties. Logan Morrison has been good, but his minor league track record suggests that the power is fleeting and might not fly in shallow leagues. Now he's hurt, and underwent an MRI on the strained arch in his left foot on Wednesday. Emilio Bonifacio, an extremely flawed (but fast) hitter, subbed in for him. Placido Polanco doesn't have power or speed, but after hitting a three-run home run against the Brewers, he's looking like a decent middle infield stop gap if only for his steady batting average. Similarly, Ty Wigginton won't hit for a great batting average, but he has power and might play more often with Ian Stewart optioned to the minor leagues. Accordingly, he had one hit in four at-bats on Wednesday: a three-run home run.

National League Quick Hits: Andrew McCutchen has been excused from the Pirates for a personal matter and they aren't saying when he'll be back … Corey Hart (oblique) went hitless in his second rehab start but should be back soon … Jason Heyward was moved to second in the lineup in order to work on his patience, which is funny because he's walked more than he's struck out this year … Despite being optioned to Triple-A, Brandon Belt has a bright future and showed discipline at the plate while he was up … Pablo Sandoval was a late scratch with a triceps strain, but doesn't think he'll be out long … Jason Bay (rib cage) will be activated Thursday after hitting two home runs over his rehab … Ryan Theriot had four hits in the day game and is hitting over .300; too bad it's mostly an empty batting average once again … Uh-oh, Homer Bailey's next rehab start has been pushed back due to arm fatigue … Chris Young (biceps) is going to throw a simulated game on Thursday … Ryan Ludwick collected three hits in the nightcap and could be useful in a lot of leagues … Nyjer Morgan is dealing with a thigh bruise at the wrong time; he missed Wednesday's game right when he could be proving that he deserves the centerfield job … Cody Ross returned and went hitless; post-season heroics aside, he can hit lefties but that's about it … Melvin Mora's left foot is still swollen but he thinks he'll avoid the DL; Ryan Roberts is temporarily on fire while the aged one is out, and could steal the job if it continues … Jeremy Hermida started Wednesday and might steal time from lefty-killer Jonny Gomes … Bobby Parnell (finger) has gas, no control, and is now on the DL … Brad Hawpe went hitless in five at-bats with three strikeouts and an error and he's currently unrosterable; deep-leaguers might want to stash the rehabbing Kyle Blanks just in case … Daniel Murphy looks to have the larger side of the platoon with Justin Turner and is a decent bench guy in the deepest of leagues …Laynce Nix hit a home run in the day game against the Cardinals while Mike Morse (flu) was out, but he's striking out in about a third of his at-bats, which means a lower batting average is on the way … Bill Hall sprained his ankle and left Wednesday's game, but it's unclear how long he'll be out.

American League Quick Hits: Dallas Braden (shoulder) only has inflammation says Dr. Yocum, and could only miss the minimum … Phil Hughes (dead arm) threw a successful 30-pitch bullpen Wednesday, but it's unclear what his velocity numbers looked like … He hasn't thrown yet, but Brian Matusz (intercostal) plans to on Friday … The flu is killing the Twins, as Delmon Young and Justin Morneau were out of the starting lineup again Wednesday … Aaron Hill went in for an MRI on his right hamstring Wednesday, and Jayson Nix subbed for him; Nix will remain the lineup going forward because Edwin Encarnacion has been moved to DH - that means the struggling Juan Rivera is a part-time player for now … David Aardsma (hip) gave up two runs (including a home run and two walks) on his first rehab work Tuesday night, so he'll need a few more appearances … The Jay here with the most upside, perhaps, is Travis Snider and he got two hits and struck out twice Wednesday, encapsulating himself perfectly … J.J. Hardy (oblique) hopes to resume baseball activities over the weekend … Taylor Teagarden is up and, by functioning as the third catcher for the Rangers, will allow the team to play Mike Napoli more often … Johnny Damon (finger) remains out … Bartolo Colon, who hadn't started since 2009, went 6 2/3 innings, gave up two earned runs and struck out seven; based on age alone be suspicious … Danny Valencia's luck might be turning - he collected two hits on Wednesday and despite a lack of power is a decent deep leaguer … Manager Jim Leyland said Tuesday that Magglio Ordonez is not yet ready to play every day … Carlos Silva threw 40 pitches in his second bullpen in Tampa and could be joining the Yankee's rotation shortly … The ear-plugged and surprisingly useful Milton Bradley got a routine day off Wednesday … Brandon Webb (shoulder) threw 60 pitches to live hitters and felt healthy afterwards; recent comments that he'd be open to relieving should temper any enthusiasm about him, though … Dan Johnson (wrist) was back in the lineup, but he's un-rosterable … Mark Prior (groin) is on the Triple-A disabled list, which is not a surprise to anyone … Brandon Wood was designated for assignment and should not be owned on any fantasy roster, anywhere.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Club Jed
It's at times like this where I wonder how Mike Leake would handle himself in a fantasy league.

And I'm not talking about as a pitcher, but as a fantasy owner. I tend to think he'd be someone who would constantly vulture players off the waiver wire, like six at a time in some cases. That would normally be pretty annoying for the rest of the league, but the thing is, he'd only claim truly undesirable players like Rick Ankiel and Joe Saunders. It's ultimately a pretty dumb strategy, but he wouldn't really hurt anybody besides himself.

Let's move on to the good stuff.

MIXED LEAGUES

Jed Lowrie 2B/SS, Red Sox (Yahoo: 51 percent owned, ESPN: 40.4 percent)

I'm going to start with Lowrie since his ownership numbers are still pretty modest under the circumstances, but let's be honest, if you're in a competitive league, he's probably already gone. The 27-year-old is batting .462 with three homers, two doubles and 11 RBI over his first 39 at-bats this season, proving that his second-half surge last year was no fluke. The Red Sox need to get serious about winning some baseball games here, so I don't see Lowrie sitting down anytime soon. Play him while he's hot and worry about Marco Scutaro later.

Danny Espinosa 2B, Nationals (Yahoo: 15 percent owned, ESPN: 11.9 percent)

While he had four hits during Wednesday's doubleheader against the Cardinals, Espinosa's stock has been up with me since being put into the leadoff spot by Jim Riggleman last Friday night. Sure, he's unlikely to maintain his current .288 batting average for the long haul, but he's a solid bet for double-digit homers and steals and should collect plenty of runs scored batting in front of Jayson Werth and (eventually) Ryan Zimmerman. There's sneaky value here in mixed leagues.

Mitchell Boggs RP, Cardinals (Yahoo: 27 percent owned, ESPN: 4.8 percent)

Ryan Franklin was finally removed from the closer role earlier this week and while Tony La Russa hasn't officially named a replacement for the ninth inning, Boggs closed out a 5-3 win over the Nationals on Wednesday night. Good enough for me. The 27-year-old right-hander touches the mid-90s on his fastball and also has a plus-slider, giving him a more traditional closer-like arsenal than his predecessor. His command has been a bit of an issue in the past, but Boggs has an encouraging 13/3 K/BB ratio over his first 10 innings this season. He should be owned in all formats right now.

Peter Bourjos OF, Angels (Yahoo: 17 percent owned, ESPN: 2 percent)

Let Bourjos serve as a reminder of how one big series early in the season can change perception on the spin of a dime. The speedy young center fielder entered this week's series against the Rangers with a lowly .224 batting average, but thanks to going 7-for-12 over the past three games, he's now checks in at .295 for the young season. Of course, the biggest problem with Bourjos is his penchant for the strikeout (20 whiffs over 61 at-bats this season), so there's no batting crown in his immediate future, but he has enough speed and power to be worthy of your attention in deeper mixed formats.

Travis Hafner UT, Indians (Yahoo: 49 perent owned, ESPN: 29.4 percent)

It's hard to believe, but Hafner has found his way back into fantasy relevancy. Pronk had two more hits Wednesday against the Royals, giving him a .351 batting average (20-for-57) to go along with four homers and 10 RBI to begin the year. His batting average on balls in play is ridiculously high at the moment, but the good news is that he is hitting line drives at a frantic pace. I'd suggest adding him where you can, but keep in mind that he's strictly a UT option in most formats.

Bud Norris SP, Astros (Yahoo: 13 percent owned, ESPN: 4.4 percent)

Norris wasn't able to close the deal Wednesday night against the Mets, giving up a game-tying homer in the sixth inning, but I like what I've seen from him so far this season. The 26-year-old right-hander has always been useful for strikeouts (238 strikeouts over 231 1/3 major league innings), but he's made some nice strides with his control this season, walking just seven batters over his first 22 innings. He has the Cardinals on tap for next week, a team he has owned in the past, so why not give him a spin in mixed leagues?

Alex Avila C, Tigers (Yahoo: 32 percent owned, ESPN: 13.2 percent)

DL-stints for Joe Mauer and Victor Martinez have naturally sent many fantasy owners scrambling for catchers for the past week. Nick Hundley has already been snatched up in many leagues (Yahoo: 58 percent owned, ESPN: 48.2 percent), and rightly so, but I'm also intrigued by Avila, who is batting .267 (12-for-45) with three homers, 10 RBI and an .851 OPS so far this season. The 24-year-old still strikes out a little too much, which likely caps his batting average, but I like his power more than, say, Carlos Ruiz, who is owned in more leagues right now. Not a bad short-term fill-in.

Coco Crisp OF, Athletics (Yahoo: 37 percent owned, ESPN: 41.3 percent)

Crisp was drafted in many standard 12-team mixed leagues, but his ownership levels have dropped significantly following a slow start. It might be time to reconsider. Crisp has hit safely in each of his last four games, including a leadoff homer in Wednesday's loss to the Red Sox. He probably won't touch his ridiculous output from the second half of last season, but his speed and surprising pop will prove valuable for as long as he can stay healthy.

Ty Wigginton 1B/2B/3B, Rockies (Yahoo: 18 percent owned, ESPN: 17.1 percent)

The Rockies sent the struggling Ian Stewart to Triple-A Colorado Springs earlier this week, opening the door for Wigginton to draw most of the starts at third base for the time being. The veteran infielder homered and drove in four runs in Wednesday's win over the Giants, collecting his 1000th career hit in the process. Wiggy has a knack of finding playing time wherever he goes, so don't dismiss him as a fantasy option at Coors Field. With his pop and multi-position eligibility, he can be pretty useful in most formats.

Shopping at the five-and-dime:

(Players owned in less than 10 percent of Y! and ESPN.com leagues)

Joe Blanton SP, Phillies (Yahoo: 4 percent owned, ESPN: 3.1 percent)

Seriously? Seriously. It's easy to get distracted by Blanton's ugly 7.27 ERA -- and his first two starts were admittedly awful -- but he gave up just two runs over seven innings against the Brewers on Monday and has the punchless Padres on tap this weekend. And at pitcher-friendly PETCO Park, no less. If you're looking for a streaming option, Blanton should be near of your list.

Matt Joyce OF, Rays (Yahoo: 2 percent owned, ESPN: 6.7 percent)

Jed Lowrie might be the hottest hitter on the planet right now, but Joyce is a close second. The 26-year-old outfielder started the season in a 1-for-20 slump, but is batting .485 (16-for-33) with six doubles, four RBI and two stolen bases over his last nine games. Joyce is markedly better against right-handed pitching as opposed to southpaws, so be careful when you use him, but his power potential makes him a solid option in deeper mixed formats, especially in five outfielder leagues.

<!--RW-->

AL ONLY

Hank Conger C, Angels (Yahoo: 4 percent owned, ESPN: 0.2 percent)

Conger was one of my favorite American League rookies prior to the start of spring training, primarily because I saw Jeff Mathis and Bobby Wilson as completely unappealing offensively. It looks like Angels manager Mike Scioscia is beginning to see the light. The 23-year-old backstop has started four of the last six games and is swinging the bat well early in the season, batting .333 (8-for-24) with two homers, one double and seven RBI. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come.

Conor Jackson OF, Athletics (Yahoo: 0 percent owned, ESPN: 0.1 percent)

Jackson isn't going to be an everyday player in Oakland, but Athletics manager Bob Geren is giving him some starts against left-handed pitching. While the 28-year-old has struggled to stay healthy over the past couple of seasons, he still owns a .276/.359/.419 batting line in the major leagues and a .295 batting average and .856 OPS against southpaws. He's not a bad option if you don't mind platooning.

J.P. Howell RP, Rays (Yahoo: 2 percent owned, ESPN: 0.1 percent)

Howell is just about ready to go out on a minor league rehab assignment as he works his way back from shoulder surgery. The southpaw should make around 10 appearances in the minors, so assuming all goes well, he should be back with the Rays in mid-May. Kyle Farnsworth has been pretty solid in the ninth inning so far, but Howell could be worth a stash in the event that his success is short-lived. Remember, Howell saved 17 games with the Rays back in 2009.

Tyson Ross SP/RP, Athletics (Yahoo: 0 percent owned, ESPN: 0.1 percent)

Dallas Braden was placed on the disabled list with left shoulder tendinitis earlier this week, so Ross will take his spot in the starting rotation for now. The young right-hander posted a 5.49 ERA over 39 1/3 innings last season and was shaky in two spot starts, but he nearly won a rotation spot out of spring training. Ross has promising stuff, including a low-to-mid 90s fastball and an above-average slider, so I'm willing to take a chance on him Friday night against a Mariners team that is dead last in the league in batting average.

NL ONLY

Daniel Murphy 1B/2B/OF, Mets (Yahoo: 1 percent owned, ESPN: 0.1 percent)

The Mets cut ties with Brad Emaus this week, mostly because they didn't see him as a long-term option at second base. Murphy probably isn't either, but he figures to be on the strong side of a platoon with Justin Turner moving forward. The 26-year-old is still learning the second base position, so there will be some growing pains over there, but don't forget that he has a .276/.332/.439 batting line over 741 major league plate appearances. He's worth an immediate stash where available.

Kameron Loe RP, Brewers (Yahoo: 4 percent owned, ESPN: 0.2 percent)

John Axford was one of the better closer finds in fantasy last season, going 24-for-27 in save opportunities while winning eight games and posting a 2.48 ERA and 76/27 K/BB ratio over 58 innings. This year? It's quite a different story. He has blown two out of his first five save opportunities while his control problems have resurfaced in a big way. He probably has a little leash left, but I'd give Loe a look if you're willing to speculate. The 29-year-old right-hander doesn't throw hard, but has good control and gets plenty of ground balls. He's the best alternative here since Takashi Saito is still on the disabled list with a hamstring strain.

Jerry Sands OF, Dodgers (Yahoo: 1 percent owned, ESPN: 3.1 percent)

Say hello to the newest waiver wire sensation. The 23-year-old Sands got the call from the minors earlier this week after batting .400 with five homers and 17 RBI over his first 45 plate appearances with Triple-A Albuquerque. The Dodgers are in desperate need of offense right now, so Sands should be the regular left fielder unless he falls flat on his face. He might even see some time at first base over James Loney against tough left-handed pitchers. I wouldn't go nuts in shallow mixed leagues, but Sands has enough power potential to be owned in all NL-only leagues.

Dillon Gee SP, Mets (Yahoo: 1 percent owned, ESPN: 0.1 percent)

Chris Young hit the disabled list with biceps tendinitis last weekend, prompting the Mets to call up Dillon Gee from Triple-A Buffalo. The 24-year-old right-hander did just fine against the Braves on Sunday, allowing one run over 5 2/3 innings while striking out four and walking a pair. Gee probably pitched over his head last September (2.18 ERA over five starts) and can be a little homer-prone at times, but he'll be less of a liability calling Citi Field home. Give him a look against the Diamondbacks on Saturday.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Brewers Lock Up Ryan Braun
The big news Thursday came from off the field, as the Brewers signed left fielder Ryan Braun to a five-year, $105 million contract extension that will keep him with the club through at least 2020. The contract also includes a mutual option for 2021 worth up to $20 million with a $4 million buyout.

The Brewers already had Braun under contract through 2015 on a team-friendly eight-year, $45 million deal originally signed back in 2008, so this one came as a pretty big surprise. Braun is now guaranteed $145.5 million over the next 10 years, which means he has the chance to be a Brewer through at least his age-36 season.

Braun joins Troy Tulowitzki as the only MLB players to be signed through the 2020 season. Both were selected in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, with Braun going fifth overall and Tulowitzki seventh.

Since making his major league debut back in 2007, Braun ranks 10th in the majors in home runs (133), fourth in slugging percentage (.557) and ninth in OPS (.924) among players with at least 500 games played. There's obviously massive risk attached to a contract like this, but the Brewers have officially made Braun the face of their franchise.

While it's always nice to see a small market team keep one of their stars for the long-haul, it's now a virtual certainty that Prince Fielder will be playing elsewhere next season. If it wasn't already, of course.

Here are some more news and notes from a busy Thursday around the baseball world…

- Jason Bay made his season debut Thursday against the Astros, going 1-for-4 with a double and two runs scored. The 32-year-old outfielder began the season on the disabled list with a strained intercostal muscle near his rib cage, but last night's game was actually his first since last July 25, after he suffered a concussion in Los Angeles.

Of course, Bay's first season in Queens was a disappointment long before the concussion, as he batted just .259 with six homers and a .749 OPS over 401 plate appearances. There's every reason to believe he'll rebound this season, so I liked him as a buy-low in fantasy leagues this spring, but his days of 30 homers and 100 RBI are likely a thing of the past.

- Speaking of rebounds, have you seen Kyle Lohse so far this season? Including his masterful complete-game, two-hit shutout victory over the Nationals on Thursday afternoon, he now has a 2.01 ERA and 22/4 K/BB ratio over his first four starts.

Lohse's four-year, $41 million extension still looks like a bust, but a lot of that has to do with a forearm injury which eventually required surgery last season. If he can come anywhere close to his output from 2008 (3.78 ERA over 200 innings), it would certainly help lessen the blow of missing Adam Wainwright for the year. Lohse has never been a big strikeout guy (5.64 K/9 for his career), but I'd give him a try in mixed leagues until he stumbles.

- I didn't see Lohse coming, necessarily, but Scott Baker was one of my deep sleepers in mixed leagues, even following offseason elbow surgery. He was knocked around pretty good in his first two starts, but has turned in consecutive brilliant outings, including seven innings of shutout ball against the Orioles on Thursday night. He now has a 3.24 ERA and 24/8 K/BB ratio over 25 innings.

Baker is a notorious fly ball pitcher, so home runs will happen, but he's a lot less scary calling Target Field home. The 29-year-old right-hander had a 3.86 ERA over 15 starts there last season. His secondary numbers are sneaky good (7.12 K/9, 2.12 BB/9), so I'd pick him up where available.

National League Quick Hits: Logan Morrison was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left foot strain and is expected to miss 2-4 weeks … David Wright snapped a career-worst 0-for-20 slump with a home run and a two-run double in a win over the Astros on Thursday … Matt Kemp slugged a walk-off two-run homer to give the Dodgers a 5-3 win over the Braves in 12 innings Thursday … Zack Greinke (rib) will make his next minor league rehab start Sunday with Triple-A Nashville … Ryan Zimmerman (abdominal strain) is unlikely to return from the disabled list when eligible next week … In his first start since his recent shoplifting arrest, Mike Leake allowed three runs over seven innings in a win over the Diamondbacks on Thursday … Angel Pagan left Thursday's game with a pulled side muscle and is expected to miss a few days … Mike Stanton and Pedro Alvarez both launched their first homers of the season Thursday … Roy Oswalt allowed just one hit over six shutout innings in a win over the Padres on Thursday night … Craig Kimbrel blew his first save Thursday against the Dodgers … Johnny Cueto (triceps) allowed eight runs over 1 2/3 innings on Thursday in a minor league rehab start with Triple-A Louisville … Chase Utley (knee) ran 10 sprints Thursday, but there's still no timetable for his return … Chris Capuano tossed seven innings of one-run ball in a win over the Astros on Thursday … Scott Cousins belted his first major league home run -- a grand slam -- in Thursday's win over the Pirates and should see time in left field with Logan Morrison (foot) on the disabled list … Chris Young (biceps) threw a simulated game Thursday and is expected to be activated from the disabled list next Tuesday … The Brewers placed Nyjer Morgan on the 15-day disabled list with a deep thigh bruise … Bobby Parnell will begin taking aspirin to treat a local blood clot in his right middle finger …Chien-Ming Wang (shoulder) threw two innings Wednesday in an extended spring training game, but there's still no timetable for a rehab assignment … Ronny Paulino (anemia) went 0-for-4 and committed two throwing errors in a rehab game with Triple-A Buffalo on Thursday and is expected to be activated from the disabled list next Tuesday … Clint Barmes (hand) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Sunday with Triple-A Oklahoma City … Todd Coffey (calf) threw another bullpen session Thursday without any issues and is expected to return from the disabled list next week …

American League Quick Hits: Jays' left-hander Brett Cecil was sent to the minors Thursday amid concerns about diminished velocity and a 6.86 ERA over his first four starts … Kevin Youkilis left Thursday's game against the Angels after fouling a ball off his shin and will be reevaluated Friday … Grady Sizemore went 3-for-5 with an RBI single in Thursday's loss to the Royals and is batting .421 (8-for-19) since returning from the disabled list … Adrian Gonzalez went 2-for-5 with a go-ahead RBI double in Thursday's extra-inning win over the Angels … Chris Perez blew his first save of the season Thursday against the Royals … Evan Longoria hit off a tee Thursday for the first time since straining his left oblique and remains on track for a return in early May … Brandon Morrow (forearm) was activated from the disabled list and will make his season debut Saturday afternoon against the Rays … Michael Cuddyer and Jim Thome went deep in Thursday's win over the Orioles … Felix Hernandez struck out eight over 7 2/3 shutout innings Thursday in a win over the Athletics … Johnny Damon (finger) returned to the Rays' starting lineup Thursday … Aaron Hill (hamstring) underwent an MRI on Wednesday, which came back inconclusive … Indians manager Manny Acta plans to keep the struggling Carlos Santana in the cleanup spot … Josh Beckett allowed two runs over eight innings Thursday against the Angels, but was handed a no-decision … Justin Morneau (flu) missed his fifth straight game Thursday … Bartolo Colon could remain in the starting rotation after Phil Hughes (arm) returns from the disabled list … Matt Capps converted his third consecutive save chance Thursday in a win over the Orioles … Brandon McCarthy tossed eight innings of one-run ball Thursday in a tough-luck loss to the Mariners … Daric Barton was scratched from Thursday's lineup due to illness … Delmon Young has requested an MRI on his sore ribs … Adam Kennedy, who is filling in for Justin Smoak at first base, has homered in back-to-back games for the first time since 2007 … Joel Pineiro (shoulder) will make a minor league rehab start Sunday with Single-A Inland Empire … J.P. Howell (shoulder) will begin his rehab assignment Friday in extended spring training … Michael Wuertz (hamstring) gave up three runs in an inning Wednesday in a minor league rehab appearance with Triple-A Sacramento … Brandon Wood, who was recently designated for assignment by the Angels, is not expected to clear waivers … The Blue Jays accepted infielder Brad Emaus back from the Mets …

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Dream Weaver

Angels ace Jered Weaver has won all five of his starts this season, and he'll look to push his record to 7-0 next week when he makes two starts, against the Athletics and Rays. His owners should be downright giddy. Weaver headlines a rather barren "Strong Plays" group in the AL, but you'll find a number of solid mid-tier options (I'm particularly interested in seeing whether Clay Buchholz can rebound from a slow start with a couple cake match-ups against the Orioles and Mariners).

National League note: Ubaldo Jimenez, was originally listed as a two-start pitcher but his start has been moved up from Monday to Sunday. Thanks to reader Chris for the heads-up.

Going Twice...

American League

Strong Plays
Gio Gonzalez: @LAA (Weaver), TEX (Harrison)
Jered Weaver: OAK (Gonzalez), @TB (Davis)
Justin Masterson: KC (Hochevar), DET (Coke)

Decent Plays
Kyle Drabek: @TEX (Lewis), @NYY (Burnett)
Colby Lewis: TOR (Drabek), @OAK (Anderson)
Wade Davis: @MIN (Blackburn), LAA (Weaver)
A.J. Burnett: CWS (Humber), TOR (Drabek)
Nick Blackburn: TB (Davis), @KC (Hochevar)
Luke Hochevar: @CLE (Masterson), MIN (Blackburn)
Phil Coke: SEA (Bedard), @CLE (Masterson)
Gavin Floyd: @NYY (Colon), BAL (Britton)
Clay Buchholz: @BAL (Britton), SEA (Bedard)
Zach Britton: BOS (Buchholz), @CWS (Floyd)

At Your Own Risk
Matt Harrison: TOR, @OAK (Gonzalez)
Erik Bedard: @DET (Coke), @BOS (Buchholz)
Bartolo Colon: CWS (Floyd), TOR
Phil Humber: @NYY (Burnett), BAL (Arrietta)

National League

Strong Plays
Jaime Garcia: @HOU (Norris), @ATL (Lowe)
Matt Cain: @PIT (Morton), @WAS (Zimmermann)
Cliff Lee: @ARI (Kennedy), NYM (Dickey)
Ricky Nolasco: LAD (Garland), @CIN (Arroyo)

Decent Plays
Jordan Zimmermann: NYM (Dickey), SF (Cain)
Aaron Harang: ATL (Lowe), @LAD (Garland)
Charlie Morton: SF (Cain), @COL
R.A. Dickey: @WAS (Zimmermann), @PHI (Lee)
Marco Estrada: CIN (Arroyo), @HOU (Norris)
Bud Norris: STL (Garcia), MIL (Estrada)
Jon Garland: @FLA (Nolasco), SD (Harang)
Matt Garza: COL (De La Rosa), @ARI (Hudson)
Bronson Arroyo: @MIL (Estrada), FLA (Nolasco)
Ian Kennedy: PHI (Lee), CHC (Russell)
Daniel Hudson: PHI (Oswalt), CHC (Garza)
Derek Lowe: @SD (Moseley), STL (Garcia)

At Your Own Risk
James Russell: COL, @ARI (Kennedy)

Streamer City

The following pitchers are generally available in over 50 percent of fantasy leagues and have favorable match-ups this week:

American League

Wednesday, 4/27: Scott Baker vs. TB
Baker is coming on after a slow start, and the Rays don't pack a lot of offensive punch.

Thursday, 4/28: Fausto Carmona vs. KC
Carmona seems to have it working against this year. His ERA is deceptively high.

National League

Tuesday, 4/27: Tom Gorzelanny vs. NYM
Gorzelanny has been notching strikeouts and limiting base runners early on in Washington -- good signs.

Thursday, 4/28: Kyle McClellan @ HOU
The St. Louis right-hander has been outstanding early in the season. He'll look to keep it going in Houston against the lowly Astros.

Saturday, 4/30: Esmil Rogers vs. PIT
Rogers has pitched well this year outside of one ugly start. He should fare just fine at home against the Bucs.

<!--RW-->

Total Games

American League

6: BAL, BOS, CLE, DET, KC, LAA, MIN, OAK, SEA, TB
7: CWS, NYY, TEX, TOR

National League

6: ARI, ATL, CIN, COL, FLA, HOU, LAD, MIL, NYM, PHI, PIT, SD, SF, STL, WAS
7: CHC

Lefty/Righty Breakdown

American League

BAL: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
BOS: 3 vs. RHP, 3 vs. LHP
CWS: 5 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
CLE: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
DET: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
KC: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
LAA: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
MIN: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
NYY: 6 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
OAK: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
SEA: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
TB: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
TEX: 3 vs. RHP, 4 vs. LHP
TOR: 6 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP

National League

ARI: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
ATL: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
CHC: 6 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
CIN: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
COL: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
FLA: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
HOU: 3 vs. RHP, 3 vs. LHP
LAD: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
MIL: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
NYM: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
PHI: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP
PIT: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
SD: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
SF: 6 vs. RHP, 0 vs. LHP
STL: 5 vs. RHP, 1 vs. LHP
WAS: 4 vs. RHP, 2 vs. LHP

The Infirmary

You can get a full listing of injured players at Rotoworld's Injury Page, but here's the latest on a few prominent players who have been out of action:

Mitch Talbot: Out until May
Victor Martinez: Out until late April
Logan Morrison: Out until May
Shaun Marcum: Out until late April
Phil Hughes: Out indefinitely
Dallas Braden: Out until May
Justin Smoak: Out until late April

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>OAS_AD("FloatBottom");</SCRIPT>​

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Minors: Simon Castro profile; new Top 11

Jason Grey
ESPN Insider
in.gif

Watching San Diego Padres starting pitching prospect Simon Castro pitch for the (Triple-A) Tucson Padres on Wednesday, I saw the same potential from him that I have in the past, but also the same inconsistencies.

The 6-foot-5 right-hander, who turned 23 a couple of weeks ago, has drawn comparisons to both Orlando Hernandez and Jose Contreras because of his delivery, but both of those players were/are really in tune with their deliveries and had/have it down to a science. Castro isn't quite there yet; he has problems repeating it, which leads to those inconsistencies.
Castro's fastball sat mostly in the 91-92 mph range with sink, touching 94 when he was throwing it up in the zone. His slider ranged from 82-85 mph, and though it had some late three-quarters tilt that can miss bats, he had problems commanding it. One positive I took from the outing was that his changeup had improved since the last time I saw him; it sat in the 84 mph range and had some sink and fade. He seemed to have more confidence in it, too, going to the pitch early in the game against left-handed hitters.
The arsenal is there to have success as a starter in the big leagues, especially given the strides he has made with his changeup, but he still struggles to locate his fastball. He has to back off a bit to do so, and at times he seems as if he's fighting his mechanics, trying to aim the ball instead of letting it go. Again, the buzzword is consistency. He's finding out that not as many upper-level hitters get thrown off by his delivery, and that he must be more precise in spotting his fastball.
Castro still has some work to do before we see him in the big leagues. Still, when he does get promoted, Castro will have a good park and a good defense behind him, which can cover up some of his mistakes and inconsistencies. That makes him a player to monitor if you're scrambling for starting pitching depth in an NL-only league.

Top 11 for '11

The now-standard caveats: There's a certain throwing-darts-at-the-wall nature to determining a list like this, because there's no telling when a player will actually arrive on the scene. Who gets the summons obviously depends on a variety of factors, such as team needs, injuries and performance. For example, if the Twins' Delmon Young or Denard Span were to get hurt tomorrow, Ben Revere would shoot up this list. If one of their starting pitchers got hurt, then Kyle Gibson would do the same.
Thus, for the purpose of this list, I try to balance a prospect's upside with who is likely to get an opportunity in the near future. I look for potential paths to big league playing time, and I rank only players who: (1) are still rookie-eligible; and (2) are not already in the major leagues. In order to highlight some different names, I'm also not including players such as Brandon Belt and Mike Minor, who have already been in the big leagues this year but have been sent back down, even though both certainly belong in the top half of the list.
And please note that this list is for 2011 fantasy value only, not for the long haul, so you won't see names such as Bryce Harper on it. Not yet, anyway. It spotlights players who could help fantasy teams this season, with no regard to 2012 and beyond. Season the list to your particular taste and your fantasy team's needs.
With Jerry Sands getting the call, the list gets shuffled a bit this week:
1. Desmond Jennings, OF, Rays: Jennings posted a .435 on-base percentage in his first 14 games at Triple-A, and could rack up steals in a hurry when he's eventually recalled. Service-time concerns are likely the only reason he's not already on the big league roster.

2. Eric Hosmer, 1B, Royals: Simply put, Kila Ka'aihue needs to start hitting, or the Hosmer rumbles will grow louder, especially with Hosmer off to a hot start at Triple-A. He's hitting .415 and tallying as many walks as strikeouts.
3. Dustin Ackley, 2B, Mariners: Service-time and defensive concerns kept Ackley from opening the season with the big club, but he could be the Mariners' starting second baseman by June.
4. Mike Moustakas, 3B, Royals: Neither Mike Aviles nor Wilson Betemit will stand in Moustakas' way once he's ready and the organization decides that they can start his service-time clock.
5. Brett Lawrie, 3B, Blue Jays: Lawrie's transition to the hot corner is still a work in progress defensively, but after turning heads in spring training, he's not far off. He's also off to a good start with the bat at Triple-A.
6. Andrew Oliver, SP, Tigers: Oliver has fanned 22 and walked six in his first three Triple-A starts and is next in line when the Tigers need to fill a spot in their rotation.
7. Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B. Indians: The Indians are starting Jack Hannahan at third base right now, so let's just say there's nothing preventing Chisenhall and his sweet left-handed stroke from taking over at some point if he hits like he's expected to at Triple-A.
8. Jesus Montero, C, Yankees: There are still major questions about him defensively, but not with the bat. He'll likely need an injury to another catcher or to Jorge Posada to see some playing time, but he'll hit if he gets it.
9. Domonic Brown, OF, Phillies: Technically, Brown is already in the majors and on the disabled list, but I am including him here for obvious reasons, and because I know there are questions about him. Brown is expected to start a rehab assignment soon in his return from a broken bone in his wrist and will have to show that he can avoid the struggles to hit for power that often accompany the early stages of a return from a hamate injury. However, if he does, manager Charlie Manuel indicated this week that there could be room for Brown again in the near future if he's hitting for pop.
10. Anthony Rizzo, 1B, Padres: With the tandem of Brad Hawpe and Jorge Cantu not hitting for the Padres, and Rizzo on fire at Triple-A, we could see a shake-up in the near future. Rizzo looks like he can hit at least right-handed pitching in the big leagues right now.
11. Mike Montgomery, SP, Royals: I wrote in more detail about Montgomery in an April 7 blog. He has had some issues with walks in his Triple-A starts this season, but I expect him to settle down.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Will Chris Narveson's hot start continue?
in.gif

Eric Karabell

Somehow the Milwaukee Brewers, who are without the services of ace Zack Greinke, enter Thursday's action ranked fifth in baseball in team ERA, and their starting pitchers are actually second in ERA with a 2.99 mark. Only one team (the Oakland Athletics) features a rotation with a lower ERA, which seems pretty hard to believe following a 2010 campaign in which Brewers starters ranked an atrocious 27th in ERA; only the Baltimore Orioles, Kansas City Royals and Pittsburgh Pirates were worse. We figured the Brewers' staff would be improved after adding Greinke and the underrated Shaun Marcum this offseason, but wow!

Only so much of the blame for last season can be placed on Manny Parra and my old pal Dave Bush. Brewers pitchers did a terrific job this week shutting down the Philadelphia Phillies in their own launching pad, and while the Phillies' offense does have holes, especially against left-handed pitching, this was nevertheless impressive. The Phillies were held scoreless on four hits through 17 innings from the 10th inning of Monday's game to the sixth inning of Wednesday's tilt by the likes of Mitch Stetter, Brandon Kintzler, Randy Wolf, Sean Green, Zack Braddock, Mike McClendon and Chris Narveson, and this is a staff that also features Greinke, Marcum, Yovani Gallardo and closer John Axford.

Today I focus on Narveson. He was one of my preseason sleepers, and he found his way onto a few of my teams despite his age and lack of credentials. Now the 29-year-old lefty is a household name, and he's mixed-league worthy, owned in nearly half of ESPN standard leagues. And I feel like there's untapped potential with Narveson. A season ago, he was quietly effective in the second half, posting a 3.89 ERA and 66 strikeouts in 81 innings. Perhaps fantasy owners avoided him because much of the Milwaukee staff was awful.
Narveson didn't allow a run in his first two outings this season, and his nine-strikeout effort against the Chicago Cubs (his second start) was impressive. He issued just one walk -- he did have some issues with walks in his third outing, including a few bases-loaded free passes -- and induced 13 fly ball outs. Why are the fly balls relevant? Well, have you seen Carlos Gomez play center field recently? If he could hit a little, he'd probably earn a Gold Glove. (Yes, I know offense should have no bearing on a defensive award, but to the voters, it usually does.) Gomez was an acrobat in the Phillies series, and this is a strikeout-heavy, fly ball staff. That the infield defense is below average is not as big a factor. The Brewers have strikeout pitchers, and just wait until Gallardo and Greinke get going (though I'd caution people on Gallardo; perhaps he'll never take that next step).
In Tuesday's "60 Feet, 6 Inches" column, colleague Tristan H. Cockcroft barely found room for Narveson in his top 100; he was one of six pitchers to enter the rankings. But I'd have Narveson in the 60s. I understand the temptation to exercise caution here, but Narveson's solid start to 2011 seems like a natural extension to his 2010 finish. While his September 2010 record was only 2-2, his WHIP was 1.09 and he fanned 37 hitters in 37 1/3 innings. Narveson breezed through Philly's lineup for five seamless frames, allowing one hit. A walk, bloop single and 359-foot Placido Polanco home run shouldn't diminish an otherwise excellent performance.
I see Narveson winning 12 or so games, with an ERA around 3.90, a 1.35 WHIP (a bit higher than we'd like) and 160 strikeouts. Those are reasonable expectations, and they definitely make him mixed-league worthy. To me, he'd rank ahead of the following pitchers owned in more leagues: A.J. Burnett, Justin Masterson, Johnny Cueto, Zach Britton, Phil Hughes and certainly Kyle Lohse.
A few other Brewers pitching thoughts:
• I'd activate Greinke as soon as the Brewers do. I don't buy into the theory that sometimes that first start is an ugly one, not with a proven player. If the Brewers are believers, then so am I.
• Marcum has looked terrific since his first Brewers start, when he walked five Cincinnati Reds. Since that first outing, he has walked just three batters in 19 innings. Watch him strike out 180 hitters and make the NL All-Star team. • I still trust Axford to end up with more than 30 saves, but he doesn't make it easy with all these walks. Last time out, while blowing Monday's lead for Marcum, Axford threw 24 pitches, only nine of them for strikes. I think he'll figure things out, but if the team needs a Ryan Franklin-like change, Kameron Loe could be the next Jon Rauch type to emerge.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Under-the-radar weekend starters
in.gif

Eric Karabell

I'm in multiple weekly head-to-head leagues and each weekend I have to decide which unowned starting pitchers I wish to add and rely on to bring me victory, while keeping under the league's start limit. It might sound odd, but those competing in this format view weekend pitchers differently than they do for Tuesday or Thursday. For example, Washington Nationals lefty John Lannan didn't look enticing earlier this week, and rarely does, but against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Sunday, you may want to look his way if you're looking for wins.
Let's take a look at this weekend's off-the-radar starting pitchers for those that, like me, might need to look beyond the normal names for a bit of help.

Jeff Francis, Kansas City Royals (owned in 9.5 percent of standard leagues): He's 4-for-4 in terms of quality starts so far, although he hasn't actually won any of these outings. However, the 3.00 ERA and 1.11 WHIP tell the bigger story. He's pitching well (even if he isn't helping in the strikeout department), and I think he'll continue this pattern Friday against the Texas Rangers. Bruce Chen is 3-0, and Francis has been nearly as good. And oh yeah, use Chen on Sunday as well.
<OFFER>Dillon Gee, New York Mets (0.1 percent): OK, so he's way off the radar, but he's made six big league starts and his ERA is 2.09. That will obviously go up, and he's not a strikeout guy, but he's holding his own, which is more than can currently be said about Mike Pelfrey and Jonathan Niese. I have him active in a weekly league for Saturday's matchup against the struggling Barry Enright.
Jason Vargas, Seattle Mariners (0.8 percent): There really isn't anything wrong with this lefty, yet he's criminally unowned. Last season he posted a 3.78 ERA and 1.25 WHIP, but didn't get noticed because he won only nine times. Yes, he's a Mariner. They don't score runs. But Saturday's foe, the Oakland Athletics, don't really score much either. Vargas has three quality starts so far, and No. 4 comes Saturday.
Brandon Beachy, Atlanta Braves (7.1 percent): He was originally scheduled to face Tim Lincecum until the Cy Young winner was moved to Saturday, but it doesn't matter; he's facing a San Francisco Giants team with an ordinary lineup. Beachy has stuck out 24 hitters in 23 1/3 innings, with seven or more whiffs in three of his four outings. He's not losing his rotation spot to Mike Minor or anyone anytime soon.
Armando Galarraga, Arizona Diamondbacks (0.6 percent): Under normal circumstances, like facing a legitimate lineup in a normal-sized ballpark, I'd run away from Mr. Near-Perfect Game. But Galarraga is scheduled to face the shell that is the Mets on Sunday at Citi Field. You know how on some Sundays, managers sit older, struggling hitters? Great, Armando gets Willie Harris, Justin Turner and Mike Nickeas. Entering Friday, Mets hitters were batting .239 in home games. Perhaps Galarraga still finds a way to get lit up, but even with his 6.00 ERA, he's managed to win all three starts.
Other thoughts on weekend pitchers: Sorry, but I am officially off the Ivan Nova bandwagon. He faces the Baltimore Orioles on Sunday. I'll be avoiding him and his 7.63 ERA. He's not merely getting tagged in the fourth or fifth innings now. ... Knowing that Cincinnati Reds right-hander Edinson Volquez has permitted a 29.25 ERA in the first inning this season (and 1.93 in all other innings), I'd think about St. Louis Cardinals leadoff hitter Ryan Theriot for a spot-start. But I'd also stick with Volquez. One would think he'll overcome his issues soon. ... Michael Pineda will overpower the Oakland Athletics on Friday night. And I still haven't heard if he'll have an innings cap. ... I'd leave Boston Red Sox right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka on my bench against the Los Angeles Angels until he shows he can pitch well in consecutive outings. Maybe he can only pitch well in morning games? ... Finally, I have no worries whatsoever about activating Toronto Blue Jays strikeout right-hander Brandon Morrow for his Saturday outing against the Tampa Bay Rays. Take the under on 200 strikeouts because of the missed starts, but this is someone to trust.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Scott Cousins has potential to stick
in.gif

Eric Karabell

I've been paying attention to the exploits of Florida Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins since late-2009, when the former third-round pick in 2006 started putting up interesting numbers at Double-A Jacksonville. Knowing how odd it appeared to force former infielder Chris Coghlan into the center-field slot this season -- the jury remains out, frankly -- I mentioned Cousins as a deep-league sleeper. He has a nice combination of power and speed and can handle center field, but now that left fielder Logan Morrison is likely to hit the disabled list and miss up to a month with sprained ligaments in his left foot, Cousins becomes a lot more interesting.

The second-inning grand slam Cousins whacked off James McDonald Thursday forced his introduction to deep-leaguers, but I expect things to get better. Cousins hit .285 with 14 home runs and 12 stolen bases at Triple-A New Orleans last season, then .297 with the big club. He's a left-handed hitter who can hit left-handed pitching, and it's not like he's an off-the-radar prospect like Sam Fuld. Cousins was regarded as the No. 7 Marlins prospect by Baseball America, and they wrote he "has the tools to be a productive everyday player."

It's always good to be ahead of the curve, in real and fantasy baseball, so here's a prediction: Cousins is going to hit enough to warrant regular playing time, and as the mess at third base continues for this team don't be surprised if Coghlan is out as the regular center fielder by June. I know, I know, we see him making diving catches every other day on "SportsCenter," but that notwithstanding, he's far more passable defensively in the infield. Omar Infante, not hitting at all at second base, could play third base; Coghlan could move to second; and Cousins could center a strong outfield with Morrison and Mike Stanton on the corners. Currently Marlins third basemen are hitting .306, which is nice, but with one home run and a staggering four RBIs through 17 games one can see how the batting average is misleading.

Emilio Bonifacio, part of the collective problem at third base, might split the left-field duties with Cousins for a while, but we've seen his act before. He can steal bases, but he can't steal first base. As of this writing, we still don't know for sure how long the intriguing Morrison will be out, but if you're in a deep league and want a name to take a shot on, Cousins is it. This might not be a short-term thing.

As for Morrison, certainly downgraded by fantasy owners because of the lack of power, he was hitting for power, with four home runs and 11 RBIs in 15 games. He was taking walks and hitting for average, too. Morrison has a bright future, somewhere on the diamond (he's a first baseman, not an outfielder), and that he had already doubled his 2010 power output in a quarter of the games was impressive. Don't cut Morrison even in standard, 10-team leagues. I'm not saying he'll win a batting title or even hit 20 home runs in the next year or two, but I'd rather own him than Florida's actual first baseman, Gaby Sanchez, because there is more upside, and we were already seeing it.

Cousins is owned in a Blutarsky-like 0.0 percent of ESPN leagues (see "Animal House" for the connection). Here are a few other outfielders owned in fewer than 1 percent of ESPN standard leagues I'm keeping an eye on:

Desmond Jennings, Tampa Bay Rays: Stash him away for his June call-up. Jennings has a .435 on-base percentage at Triple-A Durham, and four stolen bases. He's going to be a good one leading off and running, and the Rays won't be able to make much of a case to keep him in the minors for long.

Jarrod Dyson, Kansas City Royals: Speaking of crazy speed, Dyson doesn't have any hits this season for the big club, but he's stolen five bases in as many attempts. OK, so he'd likely get overwhelmed by pitchers on a daily basis, but once upon a time so was Michael Bourn. When Melky Cabrera starts playing like, well, Melky Cabrera, Dyson could get some run, literally.

Chris Denorfia, San Diego Padres: He is hitting .324 with a pair of home runs in the past week and, let's face it, Ryan Ludwick, Cameron Maybin and Will Venable aren't. The Padres are getting shut out more than once a week so far.

Laynce Nix, Washington Nationals: The power is there, and for some reason, for spring training hero Michael Morse, it is not. Morse is certainly running out of time, and while Nix is limited the power against right-handers (.449 slugging percentage lifetime, as opposed to .233 against southpaws) is legit.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Bits: Pedro Alvarez showing signs of life
in.gif

Eric Karabell

New York Mets outfielder Jason Bay made his season debut Thursday, hitting a double and scoring twice in four at-bats. Bay was on the disabled list because of a strained rib cage and was inserted into the No. 5 lineup slot upon his return. His 2010 struggles are well-documented, but he should be owned even in shallow leagues.

St. Louis Cardinals right-hander Kyle Lohse spun a two-hit shutout against the Washington Nationals on Thursday, fanning six and lowering his ERA to 2.01. With a career ERA of 4.76, this isn't likely to continue, but those owners who put Lohse on the most added list (in ESPN.com leagues) should enjoy it until the bottom inevitably falls out.
Cleveland Indians right-hander Josh Tomlin stood to win Thursday for the fourth time in as many decisions, allowing one run in 7 1/3 innings, until closer Chris Perez faltered in the ninth. Tomlin lowered his ERA to 2.33 and his WHIP to 0.89. Tomlin is not as good as these numbers indicate, but with a career ERA of 4.18, he's not Lohse, either. Invest in deep leagues.
Then there's Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Daniel Hudson, now 0-4 after allowing seven earned runs in 5 1/3 innings in Cincinnati on Thursday. Hudson, who posted a remarkable 1.69 ERA in 11 Arizona starts last season, entered Thursday with a respectable 1.21 WHIP and among the strikeout leaders, and he remains a wise buy-low option.
Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez hit his first home run of the season and knocked in two runs Thursday, upping his batting average to .212. Alvarez, a slow starter last season as well, has been dropped in more than 12 percent of leagues in the past week, but he has 25-homer potential, so be patient. Minnesota Twins designated hitter Jim Thome smacked his second home run of the season and 591st of his career in Thursday's win. Thome is off to a slow start, hitting .191, but remember, he hit 25 home runs in 2010. Invest and be patient in deep leagues.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Holliday Rakes After Holiday
Matt Holliday returns from Holiday on fire. That and more in this week's Week That Was.

Matt Holliday: Matt Holliday continued to rake this week, including his 2-3 night (including a two run jack) Thursday against the Nats. As of Thursday, Matty H had posted a scalding .455 with 14 runs, and 11 RBI despite missing time with the appendicitis. The bottom line is simple here folks. Holliday is one of the most sure things in fantasy baseball. Look at these three year averages: .314, 26HR, 99R, 100RBI and 17SB. Solid! Pujols may get all the attention (and should get all the attention he does get). However, that allows Matt to fly a touch under the radar. If there is a Holiday owner out there down on the Albert-centric soap opera in St. Louis, pounce.

Mitchell Boggs: Sticking with the Redbirds, there is a new closer in town -- at least for now. Mitchell Boggs earned his 2nd save last night, getting four outs in the process. Question: can he hold the role? Hmm, tough one. It has been so far so good for the 27 year old out of Georgia. However, there is nothing special in his minor or major league track record to support going all in on a FAAB bid. With Ryan Franklin still around and Jason Motte with the best closer stuff, my bet is that Boggs does not hold the role. However, if you are desperate for saves, it may be a risk you need to take.

Miguel Olivo: Miguel Olivo had another bad night Friday, going 0-4, dropping his average to a number ever Mario Mendoza would be ashamed of: .169. Of course, Olivo is not this bad, but a bad year was so easily predictable. First, he moved from Colorado to Seattle (in other words from the thin air to a huge stadium in which flyballs go to die). Second, he has a long history of anti-Ichiro batting averages (six times in the last nine years, he hit under .240). Finally, Seattle just cannot score, which will depress numbers even further. Bottom line here folks is that Seattle has no other options so they will play him and his low average a lot. You might well be better off with a part-timer like Ryan Hanigan or Josh Thole who will not kill your average so completely.

Ryan Madson: Ryan Madson saved last night's game for the Phils. Does this mean there will be a closer shift in Philly? No it does not. Closer Jose Contreras had pitched the previous two days and had toed the rubber in four of the last five. So, Madson owners should consider this save a lucky break and Contreras owners should not worry. After all, the reason Contreras was anointed closer is that Madson has never succeeded in that role. Over the last two years, Madson has blown 11 saves while converting only 15. Not what Doc, Lee, Cole and Roy want to see behind them.

Anibal Sanchez: Anibal Sanchez was great last night, taking a no-no into the 9th. He ended up allowing just the one hit and walking three while striking out nine. Overall, I like Sanchez to continue to build upon the success he had last year. However, I would bench him for his next start or two if I could. For some reason that I cannot fathom, the Fish left Anibal in after the hit and allowed him to throw 124 pitches. That does not bode well at all for the near future.

Angel Pagan: The Mets just cannot catch a break. In the same week that saw them get Jason Bay back, they had to place Angel Pagan on the disabled list with the dreaded strained oblique. It is not clear which one of Willie Harris, Jason Pridie or Scott Hairston will see the most time in CF. None are stars, but Harris could get some SB and Hairston has some pop. The bigger question is what to make of Pagan? My bet is that his average will only be mediocre but his SB numbers will be solid. If you can get full value for Pagan when he returns, do it.

Gordon Beckham: The White Sox 2B continues to struggle in the early going. In fact, the Chisox dropped him to the 8th spot in the order (didn't help as he went 0-3). If there ever was a buy low opportunity, this is it. Beckham started slowly last year, but hit .310 in the second half. He is only 24, so growing pains are not a huge surprise. That said, he added 15lbs of muscle in the winter, is in his second year at 2b (finally not a new position after moving from ss to 3b to 2b) and is on an offensive powerhouse team in a great hitters park. Bottom line for those who need it spelled out, get him if you can.

Brett Gardner: It is a rare day a rainout is a good day, but for Brett Gardner, that might be the case. The Yankee LF is hitting a paltry .128 thus far. Is he this bad? No. As an unabashed Yankee fan, am I rooting for him? Yes. Do I think he will come anywhere near his 2010 production fantasy-wise? No. Gardner hit approximately .240 in the second half, so a low average is not a shock. Gardner, who is solid defensively and always hustles will stay in the lineup against all RHP. However, I would look for him to hit 9th on all days other than when the backup catcher is playing. He will get his SB but don't bank on anything else. (Note – 14K against 4 BB for a guy who is supposed to set the table is a very telling story of how the year has gone for Gardy so far).

Jeremy Guthrie: Jeremy Guthrie lost, but was solid again on Thursday, allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out four. Guthrie is a buy. Despite suffering from pneumonia, Guthrie has posted a 3.12 ERA and 1.04 WHIP on the year. Pitching for the Orioles in the AL East is hardly ideal. However, Guthrie has a solid track record for years where he was not forced to participate in the WBC (loyal readers know my view of that event). In the last three non-WBC years, Guthrie has posted a WHIP under 1.25 and an ERA under 4.00. He will not mow down a ton of hitters but he will post solid ratios.

Logan Morrison: Logan Morrison will be out approximately 2-4 weeks with the (second only to oblique) dreaded lisfranc sprain in his left foot. Logan was off to a hot start and will be a very good major leaguer for years to come. If the Marlins let him heal, he should be fine for June-Oct. However, if they rush him . . . . not so fine. Until Morrison gets back, look for Scott Cousins and Emilio Bonifacio to get LF time. Bonafacio will provide SB but little else. Cousins, on the other hand, will give you a little bit of everything without big contribution in any particular category. Don't break the bank on either guy.

And last, but not least, Schultz says: "With the recent demotion of Ian Stewart to the minor leagues, Ty Wigginton will very likely be the recipient of significant playing time at third base for the Rockies while the disappointing Stewart relearns how to be a successful hitter. No one ever gets excited about having Wigginton in their roto-lineup but more times than not, they are happy that they did. This Little Wiggy's true charm is his sporadic second base eligibility and penchant for slugging 20+ homers when given ample playing time. An average hitter at best, Wigginton's .217 is well below his average average and average would be the proper term to use in describing him. However, leagues aren't won by the Pujolses and A Rods, they are won by the contributions you get from your supporting cast and when you get to your final active spot, average can sometimes be gold standard.

The Brandon Wood era in Anaheim has come to an end with the perpetual prospect being claimed on waivers by Pittsburgh, where there's a real chance he may get significant playing time for the Pirates. It would be difficult to term this a buy low situation as it's unclear what Wood's upside may be. His major league career has patterned Mark Reynolds . . . well without the 40 home runs to go with the sub .200 batting average. Unless you have roster spots that you're subleasing to other teams, there's no need to rush to grab him post haste. Nonetheless, He was once considered one of the top slugging prospects in baseball so it might be worth checking in him every so often to see how he's doing.

Over in Cleveland, where the first-place Indians reside, it's worth noting that Grady Sizemore has returned and reclaimed the lead-off spot. In his first week back, Sizemore batted a nifty .421 and added a homerun in his second at-bat. More so than the stats, Sizemore's swing looks better than it has in the past two years. No surprise, it's the first time he's been truly healthy in two years. Unlike Kendry Morales and Chase Utley, Sizemore returned on schedule so, as long as he doesn't run into a wall or find some other way to hurt himself, those who grabbed him at the beginning of the year have found themselves a tremendous bargain."

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
AL Notes: Replacing Feliz
The Rangers suffered another big loss when closer Neftali Feliz was placed on the disabled list Saturday because of rotator cuff inflammation. It's not believed to be serious, but the decision was made to give him two weeks off anyway.

With Alexi Ogando in the rotation and pitching well, there's no clear alternative to Feliz in the Texas pen. Odds are that manager Ron Washington will go to a committee that includes Darren Oliver, Darren O'Day and Arthur Rhodes. Pedro Strop could also factor in, but while his 1.69 ERA is pleasant, he's already walked six batters in 5 1/3 innings.

I think Oliver rates as the favorite for saves in Feliz's absence. While he has just three career saves to Rhodes' 32, he's the superior option when it comes to facing righties and he's durable enough to work day after day. He's the one worth picking up in all formats at the moment.

American League Notes

- Pitchers have had plenty of time now to figure out how to retire Jose Bautista, and yet here he is with a .371 average and seven homers in 17 games. He's still pulling everything, but since he's not chasing pitches off the outside corner, he rates as one of the game's toughest outs. At this point, something like .280-45-120 (plus a possible league-leading walk total) seems completely realistic.

- The Jays just put Jayson Nix on the DL with a shin contusion and Aaron Hill may follow because of a hamstring strain. Now they also have Edwin Encarnacion nursing a wrist injury, leaving them with John McDonald, Mike McCoy and Chris Woodward as their options at second and third. McDonald figures to play regularly for at least the next week, making him an acceptable stopgap in AL-only leagues. McCoy could have some value too, assuming that Hill lands on the DL.

- It's not just the infield in flux for the Blue Jays; they've blown up their rotation by demoting both Jesse Litsch and Brett Cecil to Triple-A. The suspicion is that Litsch will return this week to replace Cecil, though since he hasn't been down for 10 days yet, that would require some maneuvering. He would be eligible to return as a replacement for someone going on the DL, even if that someone is Hill. I thought the Cecil demotion was foolish, but it's not going to matter much in the grand scheme of things. He'll likely return as a replacement for Jo-Jo Reyes within a few weeks.

- Rajai Davis (ankle) began his rehab assignment at Double-A New Hampshire on Friday and seems set to return from the DL when eligible on Tuesday. Corey Patterson will head back to the bench. The struggling Juan Rivera could also see even less action, though that may hinge on Encarnacion's health.

- Expectations are that the Jays will ease Frank Francisco back into the closer's role. Pitching with the Jays down by three runs, he gave up a solo homer in his first appearance back from the disabled list last week. Jon Rauch has been strong so far, picking up three saves in three opportunities, so hold on to him until Francisco proves he's healthy. Rauch is still as good of a bet as anyone to lead the Jays in saves this season.

- Grady Sizemore showed an impressive power stroke in his first week back from the DL, but Carlos Santana still hasn't gotten it going for the Indians. It's been stunning to see so many popouts and groundouts from him. On the plus side, at least he's not striking out anymore than usual. The line-drive doubles figure to come before much longer. There aren't any holes in his swing.

- The White Sox are finding out that it doesn't really matter who's closing when the offense can't score. Sergio Santos seems destined to get a crack at the job, but the Pale Hose haven't generated a save chance in over a week. I'm not sure exactly what the team is doing with Matt Thornton. Even though there have been plenty of chances for him to pitch in games that weren't tight, he worked just once last week, giving up a solo homer in his lone appearance.

- As for the offense, well, it's not nearly this bad. Adam Dunn's early struggles are no surprise, especially in light of his recent appendectomy. It always figured to take him a while to adjust to the league switch. Alex Rios and Gordon Beckham should snap out of their funks soon enough. The White Sox have tried dropping Beckham and inserting Alexis Ramirez into the two hole, but that's unlikely to help. Benching Juan Pierre and putting Mark Teahen in left field might. However, there's really no chance of it happening. Expect Ozzie Guillen to stay the course.

- After giving up six runs in 2 1/3 innings over the course of three appearances, Jon Nathan had a nice outing in a mopup role Saturday, striking out two in a perfect inning against the Indians. While his velocity isn't what it was pre-surgery, the bigger issue for him right now is command. In that department, Saturday's performance certainly looked like a step forward. He's not going to go back to closing right away, and it wouldn't surprise me if Matt Capps is the better pitcher all season long. Still, I think if Nathan throws quality strikes, he's going to get another chance to reclaim closing duties come mid-May.

- Joe Mauer still hasn't shaken the viral infection that caused the leg weakness that put him on the disabled list, so it doesn't look like he'll return when eligible on Thursday. A May 3 return would seem to be a possibility.

- The Twins did get Justin Morneau (flu) back Saturday, but not Delmon Young (ribs). Young could be back Sunday, and he should be active in all formats this week.

- David Aardsma (hip) pitched better in his second rehab appearance than his first. He's likely to be activated after one or two more outings for Tacoma, but his performance in those appearances could determine whether he's thrust right into the closer's role for Seattle. Brandon League has done well in his absence, converting all five of his save chances. I still think it will be Aardsma's job, but League's showing could make it easier for Seattle to part with Aardsma in a midseason trade.

- Justin Smoak will be activated from the bereavement list on Tuesday, so keep him active in AL-only leagues. Carlos Peguero will probably be sent back to Triple-A unless Milton Bradley's back puts him on the disabled list.

- I still believe Erik Bedard will put it together if he can manage to stay healthy. He's averaging 90 mph with his fastball, and his curve is looking pretty good, though obviously the results haven't been there yet. Of course, it's entirely possible that he'll hurt his shoulder immediately after turning it around, but I'd recommend remaining patient with him.

- The Red Sox are playing far better of late, but they have to be seriously concerned about their catching situation. Jarrod Saltalamacchia looks lost behind the plate on occasion, and it hardly seems to be a coincidence that Red Sox pitchers are faring much better when they're throwing to Jason Varitek. Even though he's off to a 1-for-23 start at the plate, Varitek is on his way to reclaiming the starting job. Salty could find himself off the roster if any quality veterans become available.

- The Angels, on the other hand, are favoring offense over defense behind the plate in going with Hank Conger over Jeff Mathis more and more. It's the right move. Conger lacks polish, but he has the tools to become a quality defensive catcher with Mike Scioscia guiding him. It already seems that Scioscia has more confidence in him than he ever did in Mike Napoli. Conger isn't a starter yet, but with his bat, he's looking like a legitimate No. 2 catcher in mixed leagues.

- As poor as Matt Wieters played this spring, I never would have guessed he'd be the Orioles' best hitter three weeks into the season. I'm not putting too much stock into his hot start, but it is nice to see him with three homers in 52 at-bats. The rest of the lineup is better than this. I wouldn't go dropping Derrek Lee or Adam Jones in a mixed league.

- Evan Longoria feels he'll make it back from his strained oblique during the homestand that runs from April 29-May 5. Given that he's just getting ready to face live pitching now, a Friday return seems exceedingly optimistic. Don't expect him to contribute this week.

- It's no more clear than it was a week ago what the Rays are going to do when Longoria comes back. Felipe Lopez has been their cleanup man of late, but he's in a 1-for-17 slump and he was benched Saturday after failing to hustle on a grounder in Friday's game. He's a habitual loafer, and the Rays may decide they're better off without him once Longoria comes back, though that doesn't really jibe with the way they've been using him. The Rays' other infielders are all struggling: starting shortstop Reid Brignac still doesn't have any extra-base hit, Sean Rodriguez is batting .175 and Elliot Johnson hasn't done much with his 25 at-bats to date. I imagine Johnson would be sent down if he had options remaining, but since he doesn't and both Brignac and Rodriguez do, the Rays could make a bigger change. A Rodriguez demotion is a definite possibility.

- Expect Casey Kotchman to keep stealing more playing time away from Dan Johnson. He's worth grabbing in AL-only leagues.

- With Kyle Farnsworth off to an excellent start in the closer's role for Tampa Bay, those holding on to Jake McGee in non-keeper leagues may want to look elsewhere. It'd be foolish to bet on Farnsworth racking up 30 saves for the Rays, but even if he does implode or if he gets traded in July, there's no good reason right now to believe that McGee would be the choice to replace him.

- The Angels' Joel Pineiro (shoulder) could be activated next weekend after making a rehab start Monday, but the better bet is that he'll make a second minor league appearance instead. As things stand now, Tyler Chatwood seems likely to survive Pineiro's return, with Matt Palmer probably getting bumped to middle relief.

- With Mitch Talbot out for a month due to an elbow strain, the Indians promoted Jeanmar Gomez to take over as their fifth starter. Fans surely would have preferred Alex White instead, but the Indians will want to wait until at least June before calling on the former first-round pick. Gomez shouldn't have any value in AL-only leagues. White would be nice to have stashed away, though.

- Jason Donald, who was rehabbing a fractured finger at Triple-A Columbus, suffered a setback last week when he strained his left groin. A decision on whether to bring him back to the majors appears to be at least another week away. The Indians have to be pleased with Jack Hannahan's play at third base, and with Adam Everett performing well in reserve, it's possible Donald will be optioned to Columbus once healthy.

- The A's continue to go slowly with closer Andrew Bailey, but there's a chance he could begin a rehab assignment towards the end of the week. He's been on the DL since the beginning of the year with a forearm strain.

- It's possible Dallas Braden will miss just two or three starts after being diagnosed with shoulder inflammation. Tyson Ross struggled in his place Friday, so the A's could change course and go to Bobby Cramer next time through.

- With Andy LaRoche in a 1-for-11 slump, the A's have yet to make a switch at third base. However, they have started taking out Kevin Kouzmanoff for a pinch-hitter whenever a solid opportunity presents itself. If LaRoche can get hot again in his bit role, a change could come.

- With a 2.10 ERA after four starts, Brandon McCarthy appears to be worth grabbing in mixed leagues. Just don't start counting on him: he's a pretty massive injury risk.

- Jeff Francoeur in mixed leagues? This is hardly the first time he's gotten off to a fast start. Last year he hit .284 with four homers and an 886 OPS for the Mets in April. Maybe he'll provide value for a couple of more weeks, but given that his power upside is limited, he plays in a poor ballpark for hitters and he's not much of a basestealer, he's still a weak bet.

- The Royals are showing admirable patience with Kila Ka'aihue, even as he's struck out 21 times in 64 at-bats. It certainly helps that they opted for Ka'aihue at first base, rather than DH. They could always move Billy Butler back to first, opening up the DH spot for Wilson Betemit, but they clearly would prefer not to. So, Ka'aihue should get at least a couple of more weeks to prove himself. It will be interesting to see what happens if he's still hitting .188 on May 15. Eric Hosmer, who is hitting .393/.477/.518 for Triple-A Omaha, appears ready for an opportunity, but the team isn't going to want to go to him before June 1 and maybe not then. The Royals could try Clint Robinson. He's also tearing it up for Omaha (.373/.467/.706 in 51 AB), but he's a weaker defensive first baseman than Ka'aihue or Hosmer and probably not someone who is going to stand in Hosmer's way for any length of time.

- Victor Martinez won't be eligible to return from his groin strain until May 5. With Ryan Raburn getting a look at second base, Casper Wells seems to be the big beneficiary of Martinez's absence. He's worth grabbing in AL-only leagues. It's a long shot, but if Austin Jackson is still struggling when Martinez returns, the Tigers could send him down and make Wells their center fielder.

- Because Raburn is getting an opportunity at second, my hopes that Scott Sizemore might receive an early promotion have been dashed. It's still not looking good for Will Rhymes owners, though.

- Julio Borbon found himself on the bench for the third straight game Saturday. The Rangers lose a lot of range by playing David Murphy in center and Mitch Moreland in right, but it really helps the offense and it's not like Borbon is as good of a center fielder as his speed suggests.

- With Taylor Teagarden up as a third catcher, Mike Napoli figures to get quite a bit more playing time. The Rangers had been afraid to use him as a DH because it left them without a backup catcher. Now they don't have to worry about it.

- The Yankees have the option of demoting .140-hitting Brett Gardner, but given that they're 11-6 after beating the Orioles on Saturday, there's certainly no sense of urgency. Giving Andruw Jones some additional playing time in left field makes sense, but Gardner figures to remain the starter. Likewise, the Yankees can use Eric Chavez against more right-handers, but they need to stick with Jorge Posada as their primary DH.

- Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli is expected back from his broken foot this week. Gustavo Molina, who has started just one of the Yankees' 17 games as Russell Martin's backup, will get the boot.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Feliz injury leaves questions, no answers
in.gif

Eric Karabell

Texas Rangers closer Neftali Feliz certainly has been in the news quite a bit the past few months. Back in February and March the concern for fantasy owners needing saves was whether Feliz would be a member of the team's rotation. Feliz was eventually left in the bullpen and is among the save leaders, but now, three weeks into the season, he's a member of the team's 15-day disabled list, as shoulder inflammation will sideline him for a few weeks. The roller coaster ride continues.
<OFFER>In many cases when a closer is injured there are obvious choices for replacement, but the Rangers aren't one of those cases. In March the theory was that Alexi Ogando was clearly next in line, coming off his own terrific rookie season, but he ostensibly filled the rotation spot Feliz was vying for, and entering Saturday night's game he's thriving. Right-hander Darren O'Day has struggled with command, walking four hitters in 6 1/3 otherwise good innings, and Mark Lowe, the darkhorse right-hander with some experience when he was with the Seattle Mariners, was awful in spring training, worse when the games counted and is currently sputtering along for Triple-A Round Rock.
Every save in your fantasy baseball league could, like a home run, a stolen base and even each earned run, be the difference between winning and losing the league, which is why picking up one of the team's 40-plus-year-old lefties in Arthur Rhodes and Darren Oliver can be easily justified even in standard, 10-team formats. Oliver has pitched more and pitched better so far, and while we could study each hurler's work against right-handed hitters or research any other number of statistics that would favor one over the other, the truth is they don't matter; it's up to manager Ron Washington, and the early word is he'll go committee. I think Oliver is more likely to get the call, and Evan Grant, the Rangers beat writer for the Dallas Morning News, posted on Twitter Saturday afternoon the same sentiment.
As for Rangers right-handers, O'Day would likely be the closest to ninth-inning work, but it was a bit odd that his name was generally ignored by Rangers personnel during the March circus surrounding Feliz possibly starting. Who else is there? Well, I don't expect Dave Bush, Brett Tomko or Pedro Strop to sniff a save chance, or even see work in setup duty. Really, this is the bullpen for the defending AL champions? Right-hander Cody Eppley was called up from Round Rock Saturday, and the 6-foot-5 flamethrower has compiled impressive minor league numbers, with a 2.39 ERA, 1.05 WHIP and 10.6 strikeouts per nine innings, but he's never done it in the big leagues. Just keep the name in mind in case Washington does call his number.
If you own Feliz, don't panic. The Rangers are being cautious here, as any team should in April. The team doesn't expect this shoulder problem to last into the summer, so neither should you. Keep Feliz, the fourth closer selected, on average, in ESPN live drafts, owned while he's on the DL. If you want to avoid the potential Texas replacements and check out the rest of the waiver wire, I can't find any legit closers available in more than 50 percent of ESPN standard leagues. Even newly minted St. Louis Cardinals closer Mitchell Boggs and Baltimore Orioles overachiever Kevin Gregg are more popular. Put simply, Darren Oliver might be your best bet.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
NL Notes: Fixing Hanley
It's not difficult to see why the Padres are 8-13. Their corner players are hitting .104 (Brad Hawpe), .145 (Jorge Cantu), .172 (Will Venable), .194 (Ryan Ludwick) and .227 (Chase Headley), and there are no easy fixes anywhere. It seemed like they're going to try giving Chris Denorfia more of a shot over Venable in right field, but he just went down with a minor injury for the second time in a week. Cantu, who was signed to play first base against left-handers, is getting more time than expected, in part because Headley was down with the flu for a spell, but it hasn't gotten him going.

The real alternatives are likely at least a month away. Kyle Blanks, who is returning from Tommy John surgery, is hitting .276 with no homers in 29 at-bats since beginning a rehab assignment in Double-A. Anthony Rizzo, the 21-year-old first baseman picked up from the Red Sox in the Adrian Gonzalez deal, is tearing it up in Triple-A, having hit .452/.507/.839 with six homers in 62 at-bats. Still, he's never excelled like this before -- he hit .260 with 132 strikeouts between high-A and Double-A last year -- and he was penciled in for a full year in the PCL in 2011.

I doubt think the Padres will turn to Rizzo like the Dodgers did Jerry Sands last week. There's too much downside, especially in light of how difficult it is to hit in Petco Park. Rizzo is an excellent prospect, but this is the first time he's tasted real success. Given his past strikeout rate, I don't think he'd be a good bet to outhit Hawpe over the rest of the season.

National League Notes

- It will be interesting to see if the Diamondbacks opt to shake things up a bit after getting swept by the Mets and falling to 8-12. Their five starters have ERAs ranging from 4.98 to 6.00, and they still have unsettled situations at first base, third base and in left field. I suspect they might move Josh Collmenter into the rotation as a replacement for Armando Galarraga. He's worth watching in NL-only leagues. They have first base and outfield alternatives in Triple-A in the form of Brandon Allen (.309/.409/.473 in 55 AB) and Wily Mo Pena (.420/.473/.820 in 50 AB). Still, they're cobbling together decent production thanks to Russell Branyan and the surprising efforts of Ryan Roberts and Willie Bloomquist. Plus, they still Xavier Nady serving as a seldom-used reserve. They'll probably stay the course when it comes to the lineup.

- The higher leg kick and open stance just aren't working for the .190-hitting Hanley Ramirez. His entire swing is too complicated right now, and he's yet to show any power through 18 games. It's time for him to get back to basics. He's too talented to stay down for too much longer.

- When I called for a Sands promotion last week, I didn't think it would happen the next day. The 23-year-old is off to a slow start, having gone 4-for-26 through seven games, but the Dodgers will give him at least another two weeks before they think about juggling the outfield again. I don't see Sands busting out and becoming a quality mixed-league outfielder as a rookie, but he could hit .260 with 15 homers over the rest of the season.

- Madison Bumgarner always pitched well beyond his years, whether it was during his time working his way through the Giants farm system or when he was excelling as a 20-year-old rookie in the postseason last year. This year, though, he's run in to some mechanical problems. He's already walked 10 batters in 17 innings after totaling up just 26 walks in 111 innings last year, and he's been at his worst while working from the stretch. If Barry Zito were healthy, perhaps the Giants would be weighing sending Bumgarner down to Triple-A for a couple of starts. As is, they're sticking with him. I think fantasy leaguers should do the same. Bumgarner is actually throwing a little harder than he did last year, and I trust pitching coach Dave Righetti to get him straightened out soon.

- The Giants did opt to demote Brandon Belt when Cody Ross came off the DL last week. He's expected to spend most of his time in the outfield at Fresno, potentially setting him up to replace Pat Burrell in left field for the Giants this summer. Burrell isn't off to a bad start, but as everyone knows, he's very prone to extended slumps.

- Drew Storen has taken over as The Man in the Washington pen, a position he figures to hold for at least the next six seasons. Sean Burnett did nothing wrong, but the Nats are better off using him for matchup purposes in the seventh and eighth innings. Barring an injury, Storen should be good for 28-30 saves this year.

- The Braves probably did Freddie Freeman an even bigger favor than Jason Heyward when they juggled their lineup last week. Batting second should help Heyward's fantasy value, since he'll get more at-bats and score more runs. Freeman, meanwhile, is moving into Heyward's old spot. He was a poor bet for both runs scored and RBI while hitting in between Alex Gonzalez and the pitcher. Sixth still isn't great for him, but it's a whole lot better than eighth. If I had believed the Braves would move him up this early, I would have ranked him higher than 29th among first basemen.

- As expected, the Cardinals have gone to Mitchell Boggs in the ninth inning with Ryan Franklin banished to middle relief, though they've been careful not to name him the closer. Boggs went 2-for-2 saving games last week, and he now has a 13/3 K/BB ratio in 11 1/3 innings for the season. I still think Jason Motte is the better bet of the two for the long haul, but he hasn't been at his best at any point since spring training started. Boggs could hold him off all year and save 30 games for St. Louis.

- While he obviously has to be benched at the moment with his ERA standing at 9.82, Jake Westbrook still figures to have some value in NL-only leagues this season. He's having some very unusual control issues, but he's getting as many grounders as ever.

- The Cards will rotate Nick Punto, Tyler Greene and Daniel Descalso at second base while Skip Schumaker (elbow) is out for the next few weeks. Maybe someone from the group will get hot, but no one currently rates as a strong play in NL-only leagues.

- Corey Hart will rejoin the Brewers on Tuesday after missing nearly four weeks with a strained oblique. With Nyjer Morgan (thigh) having gone on the DL, Carlos Gomez shouldn't have to worry about losing any playing time initially. Manager Ron Roenicke will have to decide whether to follow through with his original plan to bat Hart second or to keep Gomez there. Gomez hasn't exactly excelled with his .247/.287/.333 line, but he had scored 14 runs in 21 games, and with Yuniesky Betancourt having struggled, the Brewers could use Hart's power behind Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder in the order. Obviously, it would be better for Hart's fantasy value if he hits second, particularly since he'd probably bat sixth behind Casey McGehee, rather than fifth, otherwise.

- I guess it should have been obvious weeks ago when Lucas Duda was filling in for Jason Bay, but Terry Collins is not a fan of Scott Hairston. Light-hitting Jason Pridie started in center field all three games against the Diamondbacks after Angel Pagan was placed on the DL with a strained oblique, as Collins bypassed both Hairston and Willie Harris. Perhaps that means Pridie will have a little short-term value in NL-only leagues for the next two weeks, but he's such a lousy hitter that I wouldn't want to count on it.

- Carlos Zambrano's velocity has slipped again, and while he's still getting plenty of swings and misses with his offspeed pitches, he's giving up more hits than usual. I think he'll settle in as an adequate fifth or sixth starter in mixed leagues, but he may not be anything more than that.

- Randy Wells (elbow) and Andrew Cashner (shoulder) went on the DL together on April 8 and began their throwing programs together Friday, but expectations are that Wells will return first from the disabled list, partly because the Cubs have a lot more riding on Cashner in 2012 and beyond. Regardless, neither is going to return this week.

- The Cubs may want to consider sending Tyler Colvin down so he can get regular at-bats in Triple-A. He's stumbling along at .130 for the season, and the Cubs would be just fine without him since they have both Kosuke Fukudome and Carlos Pena healthy at the moment. Fukudome, off to his traditional fine start, is hitting .425 with 10 walks in 40 at-bats.

- Johnny Cueto (triceps) got hit hard in his rehab start Thursday, so he'll pitch in the minors at least once more before coming off the disabled list. It's possible that he'll be activated to start next Sunday, but NL-only leaguers won't want to count on it.

- In a minor surprise, it now looks like Homer Bailey (shoulder) will beat Cueto back to the majors. He pitched 5 1/3 scoreless innings for Louisville on Sunday, potentially clearing the way for him to come off the DL on Friday. The Reds figure to remove both Mike Leake and Sam LeCure from the rotation once both Cueto and Bailey are back. Edinson Volquez has actually been their worst starter to date, but he should be safe. There's a chance Travis Wood could be bumped, but with a 24/7 K/BB ratio and just two homers allowed in 28 1/3 innings, he's pitching better than his 5.40 ERA suggests.

- Scott Rolen was forced to the disabled list by soreness in his surgically repaired left shoulder. With Juan Francisco also on the DL, it looks like Miguel Cairo will be the Reds' primary third baseman for the next couple of weeks. Edgar Renteria was signed to serve as a utilityman, but manager Dusty Baker doesn't seem comfortable using him anywhere other than shortstop. Even though both Rolen and Brandon Phillips have missed time, Renteria has yet to start at either third or second.

- Jose Conteras got two days off Friday and Saturday after working four of the previous five days, but the Phillies say he's not hurt. Ryan Madson picked up saves while filling in for him both days, but Contreras, who has yet to allow a run in eight innings, will remain Philadelphia's primary closer.

Update:So much for that. Contreras was placed on the DL after Sunday's game, so Madson will pick up saves for another couple of weeks.

- After going 0-for-11 in the first three games of the series, Raul Ibanez was replaced by John Mayberry Jr. in Sunday's lineup against the Padres. He's in line to lose more playing time against lefties if his slump continues. The Phillies should go with a straight platoon in left and maybe give Mayberry the occasional start against a right-hander in right field.

- Logan Morrison's foot injury brought an excellent start to a complete stop. With very little in the way of depth, the Marlins will go with Emilio Bonifacio and Scott Cousins in left field for the next couple of weeks. They signed Gabe Gross to a minor league deal on Saturday, but he was awful last year and worse with the Mariners this spring. Acquiring a legitimate fourth outfielder should have been a priority for the team over the winter, and it'd definitely help if they could pick one up now. Since they're too cheap to do so, Bonifacio is a decent injury replacement in NL-only leagues.

- I'm not quite sure what to make of Dexter Fowler's start for the Rockies. On the one hand, he has a nifty .381 OBP and he's scored 17 runs in 21 games. On the other, he's already fanned 27 times, suggesting he's not very likely to keep it up. He also has just two steals in three attempts, limiting his fantasy usefulness. I thought Fowler would get back to the 30-steal range this year, and I ranked him 51st among outfielders as a result. If he's only going to be good for 15-20 steals, then he isn't likely to be an asset in mixed leagues.

- Ty Wigginton and Jose Lopez collectively went 1-for-13 in the series against the Marlins, and they've combined to hit .182 in 110 at-bats for the season. Still, Ian Stewart's Triple-A appears destined to last another full week. The earliest he could return would be Friday. Stewart is 4-for-14 with a homer and two doubles for Colorado Springs.

- After missing a month with a broken hand, Clint Barmes will begin his rehab assignment at Triple-A Oklahoma City on Monday. The Astros should leave him in the minors for at least a week so that he can regain his swing, but it's possible they'll rush him back. They've actually been better off in his absence, as Angel Sanchez has come through with a .291/.330/.372 line and scored 15 runs in 22 games. Sanchez, though, is far from a good bet to keep it up.

- Of course, the Astros do have the option of giving Sanchez time at third base, where Chris Johnson is playing his usual subpar defense and hitting .181/.234/.278 with 20 strikeouts in 72 at-bats. I support giving Johnson a full season to sink or swim, considering that we already know what the Astros will do as a whole, but perhaps Houston will give some of his at-bats to Sanchez, Matt Downs or, eventually, Jeff Keppinger if he doesn't start hitting soon. I don't see Johnson lasting as a long-term regular for the club.

- The Astros plan to stand by journeyman Nelson Figueroa, even though he's 0-3 with an 8.55 ERA after four starts. Chalk it up to a lack of alternatives. Neither Jordan Lyles (4.71 ERA, 11 K's in 21 IP) nor Ryan Rowland-Smith (5.59 ERA in 9 2/3 IP) is off to a great start in Triple-A. Lyles will get his chance eventually, but the Astros would surely prefer to wait until June 1 to call him up.

- The Nationals have to be hoping that Mike Morse finally busted out of his slump when he went 3-for-4 and hit his first homer Sunday. Laynce Nix had been threatening to cut into his time against right-handers. The Nats also need to get Rick Ankiel going or give Roger Bernadina another look in center field.

- Ryan Zimmerman is eligible to come off the DL on Tuesday, but his strained abdominal muscle remains a problem. There's only a slight chance that he'll be back for the weekend series.

- Andres Torres (Achilles' tendon) is another player eligible to return Tuesday, but he isn't progressing as quickly as hoped. He's a better bet than Zimmerman to return for the weekend, but NL-only leaguers will probably want to play it safe and keep him reserved.

- With long-term question marks throughout the infield, the Pirates were smart to gamble on Brandon Wood. Pedro Alvarez is nearly certain to move to first at some point and Neil Walker could replace him at the hot corner, so the Pirates don't have one position completely settled for 2012 at the moment. Wood figures to share time at shortstop with Ronny Cedeno for now, and while I doubt Wood will have a lot of short-term fantasy value, those using Cedeno should strongly consider making the switch.

- The Mets' Chris Young (biceps) will come off the DL and start Tuesday against the Nationals, so get him active.

- The Dodgers' Dioner Navarro will return from a strained oblique this week and replace A.J. Ellis as the backup to Rod Barajas.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
King Albert Pujols' Hamstring
Information is king. And here at RotoWorld, we keep you up to date with the most information so that you can be king of your fantasy leagues.

But, even when you've got the most recently updated information on hand, there are often "known unknowns" as the phrase goes. For example, we know that King Albert Pujols left Sunday's game with a hamstring injury. But we know that we don't know how severe the injury is, how long he'll be out, and how much opportunity lies in the situation for the astute fantasy owner. It's too bad Allen Craig is on the shelf right now with a strained groin, because he'd benefit the most and is a good hitter. Instead, if Pujols misses time - and the training staff said that taking him out was more of a precautionary measure - it's probably Jon Jay that gets more time. His batting average might rise with a little better batted-ball luck and he has a little speed, but Jay doesn't have the skills to really be mixed-league relevant. That much is known. Owners will mostly just have to hope that the king of fantasy baseball is fine.

There are known knowns in the Texas bullpen now that Neftali Feliz is going to take two weeks off with some shoulder issues. Darren Oliver and Arthur Rhodes are those known entities - the two veteran lefties have gotten the first two save chances. Oliver has the slightly smaller platoon split, so he might get the bulk of the chances. But the team hopes that Feliz is only off for a little while - the concern level doesn't seem very high.

Contrast that with the situation in Philadelphia, where one closer was already on the shelf until the All-Star break. Now joining Brad Lidge on the DL is Jose Contreras, who strained a ligament in his pitching elbow. The injury has his GM alarmed, and even if minor, strains are tears. This could end poorly for his owners, and Ryan Madson is now in charge - he already racked up two saves over the weekend. He'll probably have an expiration date - his GM and manager belittled his ability to close early this year - but a couple of months of chances is still a couple of months of chances.

* A gaggle of young outfielders took the league by storm last year and then whimpered into their sophomore efforts. Over the weekend, however, both Mike Stanton and Jason Heyward showed signs of life. Heyward had a home run and three RBI on Sunday, capping a three-game stretch with seven hits that brought his batting average up to .250. Stanton had a couple moon shots over the weekend, too. One of them put his team ahead to win, while the other had people marveling, or drooling, over his power. Both are excellent young talents and they are available at any sort of discounted price, your time to jump on them is running out. Austin Jackson had an excellent rookie season last year, but he was very lucky with batted balls. Now, it seems the pendulum has swung too far the other way and he's been a little unlucky this year. A couple of two-hit afternoons over the weekend should get him going, even if his 'true talent' batting average is probably closer to .270 than .300. Dexter Fowler never had the same hype, but he's had flashes of brilliance. After collecting two hits on Sunday, he has his batting average to good, sustainable number (.280), and he's worth rostering even in mixed leagues with deeper rosters.

* Excellent young pitching deserves attention whenever it shows itself. Michael Pineda has been excellent - even as an extreme flyballer, he's shown that the optimism was warranted. Over the weekend, however, the Mariners talked about limiting his innings. Counting his spring training innings, he should probably finish the year with about 200 innings. He's shown us that if he's healthy, he's money, and Brett Anderson is looking healthy - and money - right now. He struck out six, walked one and held the Mariners to one run Sunday. Teammate Trevor Cahill also pitched well against the Mariners Saturday (six innings, one run). Last year, he got a little lucky on batted balls and didn't show the strikeout rate of a true ace. This year, despite only striking two Mariners out, he's shown that maybe he can regain those strikeout rates he showed in the minor leagues. He's looking even better this year. Max Scherzer has similar health questions, but he looked excellent in holding the White Sox scoreless on Sunday. All systems go there, despite the currently unsightly WHIP. Ricky Romero struck out ten Rays on Sunday - against only one walk. His fast start looks sustainable despite the fact that most of his peripheral statistics are better than his minor league rates. He is obviously universally owned and difficult to trade for. On the other hand, Brandon Beachy also struck out seven and walked none against the Giants Sunday - he is absolutely a pickup even for your mixed league bench.

Jake Arrieta is a little more risky. Even though he kept the Yankees offense down on Sunday (three runs, six innings, nine strikeouts, three walks), he hasn't shown a great strikeout or groundball rate yet. He's worth watching at the very least. Carlos Carrasco has been showing decent control, and some signs of interesting ratios, but he left the game early on Sunday with dreaded elbow tightness. He's a deep league guy at best until we see a little more out of him. Jon Niese may not have buckets of upside, but seven good innings against the Diamondbacks Sunday have him showing ratios that look almost exactly like his numbers from last year. He does some things decently enough to be a spot start at home against weaker offenses in most leagues in the meantime. Alexi Ogando had a good six-inning start against the Royals on Sunday. He struck out five and walked one - but there are asterisks. He has a bad platoon split. He won't be able to pitch much more than 150 innings this year. He's not striking as many batters out in his new role. Don't count on him too heavily.

* Veteran pitchers are a little less exciting but deserve attention, too. It's not sexy, but it's working for Hiroki Kuroda, who after striking out seven and walking none on Sunday in Chicago looks like an must start in every league. Wandy Rodriguez struck out nine, but allowed the Brewers 13 baserunners Sunday - while Randy Wolf put an exclamation point on an excellent week by holding the Astros to four hits and one run in eight innings. Don't forget that Wolf is a pretty good pitcher and is at least useful as a spot-starter in most leagues, while Wandy is just repeating his slow start from last year. John Lackey dominated the Angels Sunday (six strikeouts, one walk, no runs in eight innings), but is more a spot-start than a buy-low in mixed leagues. Carl Pavano walked two and struck out three while holding the Indians to three runs. Other than strong control, he doesn't really have the underlying skills of an every-start pitcher in almost any league. Javier Vazquez hasn't looked great, and gave up five walks on Saturday, but he also finally hit 91 on the gun. His home park alone makes him interesting for spot starts if he can work his way back a little more. After a couple good starts - including one hit over eight scoreless innings against the Angels Saturday - Daisuke Matsuzaka is looking enticing these days. Don't buy it. Not much has changed in his underlying statistics. Ervin Santana gave up five runs in seven innings in that same game, but is more interesting. He's basically doing everything he did last year but not seeing the same results. You could say the same about Ryan Dempster, who is who is he's always been - except that twice as many of his flyballs are leaving the yard as normally do. Saturday he gave up three home runs in a poor outing against the Dodgers, but don't give up on him. I'll talk pitching on twitter any time!

National League Quick Hits: Scott Rolen hit the DL with a strained shoulder, opening the door for Miguel Cairo now and perhaps Juan Francisco later … He walked three in six innings, but Jake Westbrook didn't allow a run and looked solid against the Reds Sunday … Ubaldo Jimenez struck out seven in five innings against the Marlins, but his control (four walks) was once again bad (and he also ran into the Josh Johnson buzz-saw) … It's starting to look like 2008 again for Stephen Drew, who had three hits against the Mets Sunday … Mitchell Boggs got his third save and looks settled in - he may never look back … John Axford got a save Sunday and might be settling down … Jonny Venters finally got his first save, but it was only because Craig Kimbrel had pitched three days in a row … Homer Bailey had a scoreless rehab start Sunday - don't forget about him … Brandon Lyon blew a save Saturday, so keep an eye on Mark Melancon's usage … Chris Iannetta missed two games with a sore back over the weekend; he'll never hit for a good batting average but his power remains interesting … Jason Bay may not hit 30 home runs, or have a stellar batting average, but he homered Saturday and should be relevant in most leagues … Ben Francisco had two hits Sunday and will probably hit .270+ with double digit home runs and steals going forward … Hong-Chih Kuo (back) will pitch in the minors Monday and Tuesday and is nearing a return …Dioner Navarro (oblique) could be back as soon as Monday … Marlon Byrd had two hits Sunday and should have a better batting average than Francisco going forward, but his power has disappeared and his speed is waning as well … Domonic Brown (hamate) is getting closer to a rehab stint … J.R. Towles has been getting lucky on batted balls this year (his solo homer on Sunday excepted), but he has had terrible luck in his short career so far - if he continues to keep the strikeouts down, he could actually put together an okay batting average and be useful in two-catcher leagues … Jason Marquis gave up ten baserunners in six inning Sunday and that sounds about right … The luck ran out for Kevin Correia, as he gave up 11 hits and five in 4 2/3 innings against the Nationals … Mike Morse hit a home run Sunday, so maybe he can get the power stick going even if the batting average isn't likely to rise much … Armando Galarraga gave up eight baserunners in three innings Sunday and is un-ownable … Juan Uribe (thigh) missed two games over the weekend and is day-to-day … Barry Enright gave up five in 5 2/3 innings against the Mets Saturday and is un-ownable.

American League Quick Hits: Evan Longoria (oblique) took batting practice over the weekend and might not be out much longer … Michael Cuddyer might be the regular second baseman in Minnesota until Tsuyoshi Nishioka (leg) returns, and after five starts he may have already added that positional value … Coco Crisp collected three this and a stolen base Sunday and is looking like he should be owned in most leagues … Carl Crawford hit a home run Sunday, had consecutive multi-hit games over the weekend, and time to buy him low may have run out … Ditto Justin Morneau, who collected two hits on Saturday and Sunday … Mike Napoli hit a home run, but it was more interesting that he started at catcher; With Taylor Teagarden as the team's emergency catcher, he should get a little more playing time … Ben Zobrist hit two home runs over the weekend and is looking better recently - he can hit at least .250 and has some power and speed at some tough positions … Alex Avila is taking advantage of Victor Martinez' absence (six hits over the weekend) and makes for an okay injury fill-in in most leagues … Edwin Encarnacion (wrist) will be back in the lineup on Monday … Justin Smoak will be activated on Tuesday and once again gets our condolences for losing his father … Magglio Ordonez said that his ankle is feeling better - that might be enough to pick him up speculatively in your deep league … Franklin Gutierrez has Irritable Bowel Syndrome and new medication … Sott Podsednik (foot) will move to Triple-A this week, but there's not necessarily a regular role waiting for him on the Jays as of now … Who knows where he'll pitch when he returns, but Kevin Slowey pitched one inning in a rehab stint Saturday … Maicer Izturis (hamstring) was a late scratch Sunday … After throwing a 40-pitch bullpen session, Jake Peavy (shoulder) is likely to resume his rehab process … Doug Fister held the A's to one run over six Sunday and is a good spot-start at home … Bruce Chen gave up six earned in 4 1/3 innings Sunday in Texas, he might still be an okay spot start in deep leagues when he's not facing good teams … Brad Penny still has his nice groundball rate, but it's his control (he walked two in seven shutout innings Saturday) that bears watching … Mark Reynolds hit a home run Sunday and is still striking out a ton, but still has power … Aaron Hill hit the DL with his sore hamstring, but hot prospect Brett Lawrie is not on his way up; Instead, it's the much less interesting John McDonald … Boston's Ryan Kalish suffered a partially torn labrum diving to make a catch in Triple-A and may have season-ending surgery, but remains an exciting prospect for 2012.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vtmqtmegakorea
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com