MLB Betting Info - Tuesday 4/26

Search

When you're broke, you Break
Tokens
Preview: Phillies (9-10) at Nationals (14-4)

Game: 1
Venue: Nationals Park
Date: April 26, 2016 7:05 PM EDT

Max Scherzer is well aware that batters aren't swinging and missing against him as much this year.

That issue hasn't been a problem against the Philadelphia Phillies.

He has captured his last five decisions against the Phillies and will try to help the Nationals stretch their home win streak to nine games Tuesday night in the opener of a three-game series.

Scherzer (2-1, 4.32 ERA) gave up a season-high five runs over five innings with three strikeouts in a 99-pitch outing in Thursday's 5-1 defeat at Miami. He struck out at least six in his first three starts.

"The swing-and-misses aren't there," Scherzer said, "and I feel like that's a lack of me finishing pitches and coming up with the right sequence."

Batters are swinging and missing 23.0 percent of the time versus Scherzer. He ranked fourth in baseball at 30.9 a year ago.

Scherzer has 37 strikeouts in 37 innings versus the Phillies (9-10) since joining Washington last year, going 4-0 with a 1.46 ERA in five starts. He's 5-0 with a 1.26 ERA in his last six, including a win for Detroit in 2013.

He cruised through seven innings with seven strikeouts while allowing only a solo homer to Cameron Rupp in an 8-1 rout at Philadelphia on April 16.

Ryan Howard is 1 for 16 with 10 strikeouts against Scherzer, Freddy Galvis is 3 for 17 and Phillies top hitter Maikel Franco is 1 for 9.

Scherzer, a career .185 hitter, has even hit safely in his last three games against Philadelphia with a two-run double earlier this month.

The batter the Phillies will obviously be more concerned about is Bryce Harper, who went 7 for 11 with three homers and six RBIs to help the Nationals (14-4) take two of three April 16-18 in Philadelphia. While Harper has homered in his last six road games against the Phillies, he has failed to go deep in the last five home matchups.

Harper, who entered the week leading the majors with nine homers, is expected back in the lineup after not starting Sunday. He delivered a tying pinch-hit homer in the ninth inning in Washington's 6-5, 16-inning victory over Minnesota that was the longest regular-season game in Nationals history at 5 hours, 56 minutes.

'We've seen thousands of games. They always say, go to the ballpark and you may see something you haven't seen before,' manager Dusty Baker said. 'Well this, I certainly haven't seen anything like this. This was crazy.'

Daniel Murphy had two hits for the fourth time in five games and leads the majors with a .397 average and a .483 mark at home.

Washington can match its longest home win streak since moving into Nationals Park with a ninth straight victory there. The only longer one since the franchise moved from Montreal was a 12-game run at RFK Stadium in 2005.

The Nationals will face Vince Velasquez (2-1, 0.93) for the first time. Velasquez posted 25 strikeouts in 15 scoreless innings in his first two outings before yielding five runs - two earned - in 5 2/3 innings with four strikeouts in last Tuesday's 11-1 loss to the New York Mets.

"He just wasn't sharp," manager Pete Mackanin said. "We expect a lot out of him. It wasn't his best outing."

The right-hander has faced one Nationals hitter in Stephen Drew, who is 0 for 3.

The Phillies took two of three in Milwaukee over the weekend to start a six-game trip. Franco was 7 for 13 with three homers and eight RBIs.

Tokens
Preview: White Sox (13-6) at Blue Jays (10-10)

Game: 2
Venue: Rogers Centre
Date: April 26, 2016 7:07 PM EDT

Chris Sale is tied for the major league lead in wins, but he hasn't exactly faced any high-scoring lineups.

That's about to change Tuesday night when he takes the mound for the Chicago White Sox in the second of a three-game series against the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre.

Sale (4-0, 1.80 ERA) has won his first four starts for the first time, though they came against Oakland, Cleveland, Tampa Bay and the Los Angeles Angels - teams that have thus far struggled to manufacture runs.

Still, the left-hander has been dominant. In his last two outings, Sale allowed one unearned run and four hits with no walks over 16-plus innings.

His next challenge is holding down a Toronto team that's scored 25 times in splitting its last four games following Chicago's come-from-behind 7-5 victory Monday. The White Sox (14-6) scored five runs in the seventh to win their fourth straight and for the sixth time in seven contests.

"Aces have always been those guys that extend winning streaks and stop losing streaks," manager Robin Ventura said. "For Saler, he's right (there) as one of those guys. He's as good as there is in the league."

Sale is looking to win his first five decisions for the second time after going 5-0 with a 1.59 ERA in seven starts to open the 2014 season.

"I think it's important, individually and as a team, to try to get off on the right foot," Sale said after beating the Angels 2-1 on Wednesday. "To start out with some momentum, that's important."

The White Sox are leading the majors with a 1.41 ERA from their bullpen, but Sale has given the relievers plenty of rest by going at least seven innings in each start.

Sale has eaten innings in going 2-1 with a 2.35 ERA in three starts against the Blue Jays (10-11). He's lasted at least seven in each of them and went the distance in his last matchup, a 4-2 win July 6.

Josh Donaldson is 3 for 11 with two homers when facing Sale, while Edwin Encarnacion is 4 for 8. Encarnacion had three RBIs on Monday and Michael Saunders went 3 for 5 with a two-run homer.

"It was definitely a tough loss," said Troy Tulowitzki, who made the final out when he was hit by Saunders' infield hopper while going from first to second.

Toronto sends R.A. Dickey (1-2, 6.10) to the mound after he finally made it past five innings in his last outing. The right-hander gave up three runs - all in the first inning - over six at Baltimore on Wednesday as the Blue Jays lost 4-3 in 10 on a passed ball.

"He kept us in the game," said Saunders, who is 9 for 17 over his last four contests. "Obviously, it didn't finish the way we would have liked."

Dickey is 0-3 with a 7.43 ERA in his last four starts against Chicago, and there are quite a few White Sox players that have had success when facing him in their careers.

Jose Abreu is 4 for 9 with three homers, Todd Frazier 4 for 10 with two home runs, Melky Cabrera 6 for 18 with a pair of homers and Jimmy Rollins 9 for 27 with six extra-base hits.

Rollins went 3 for 5 in the series opener and Frazier's two-run double in the seventh put Chicago ahead.

"Coming up big, man," Frazier said. "That's what this team is about. We were down four runs but we weren't out and we just battled our tails off."

Tokens
Preview: Reds (9-10) at Mets (10-7)

Venue: Citi Field
Date: April 26, 2016 7:10 PM EDT

Yoenis Cespedes is out. That hasn't slowed down the New York Mets, and Neil Walker can take part of the credit.

With Cespedes likely to miss a fourth straight game, Walker looks to continue his power surge as the Mets go for a 10th straight win over the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday night.

The centerpiece of New York's lineup, Cespedes suffered a leg injury diving into the stands to catch a foul ball during a win over Miami on April 13.

There didn't seem to be an issue with Cespedes hitting .345 with four homers and 11 RBIs over the next seven games, but fluid buildup in his right knee sidelined him for the past three. He had the knee drained Monday.

"At the moment, we're looking at it on a day-by-day basis," general manager Sandy Alderson told MLB's official website. "Fortunately, we have the depth that we anticipated we would need, and so we've been able to survive his absence over the last several days. And I'm sure we'll do our best to survive over the next two or three."

While the prospects of Cespedes returning Tuesday don't look good, the Mets (11-7) are aiming to extend their season-high winning streak to five games.

Walker has been vital to New York winning eight of 10, hitting .357 with seven homers and nine RBIs after connecting for a go-ahead, two-run shot in the seventh inning of Monday's 5-3 win over Cincinnati (9-11).

His eight home runs lead the team and are two shy of his career total in April prior to this year. Walker needs one more to tie the franchise record for April shared by John Buck (2013), Carlos Delgado (2006) and Dave Kingman (1976).

'Never anything like this, home-run wise,' he said.

The Mets send Bartolo Colon (1-1, 2.89 ERA) to the mound, and his 219 wins tie him with Pedro Martinez for second among pitchers born in the Dominican Republic - 24 behind Juan Marichal.

Colon failed to surpass Martinez on Wednesday, giving up three runs in six innings of a 5-4 loss in 11 at Philadelphia.

The right-hander is 4-1 with a 3.77 ERA in five starts - all on the road - against Cincinnati, although the most recent was Sept. 5, 2014.

The Mets have won nine straight against the Reds for their longest winning streak in the all-time series, and Cincinnati has lost four of five while batting .136 with four runs in the defeats. The Reds have a .185 average with runners in scoring position during their skid against New York.

The offense may suffer again if Brandon Phillips is unavailable after he was hit on the left ring finger by a pitch and left Monday's game. X-rays were negative, and Phillips also fouled a ball off his shin earlier in the at-bat.

"Probably the most painful at-bat I ever had in my career," he said.

Brandon Finnegan (1-1, 3.74) takes the ball against the Mets for the first time, and he's trying to bounce back from his worst - and shortest - performance of the season. The left-hander was tagged for five runs and two homers while committing a throwing error in four innings opposite Jake Arrieta's no-hitter in a 16-0 loss to the Chicago Cubs on Thursday.

Finnegan is 1-0 with a 1.54 ERA in two starts on the road despite allowing nine walks in 11 2/3 innings.

Tokens
Preview: Athletics (10-9) at Tigers (8-9)

Venue: Comerica Park

Mike Pelfrey's three seasons in Minnesota were painful, but they never came with the diminutive levels of run support with which he's been welcomed in Detroit. Still, he has enough of his own concerns to correct before he criticizes the offense.

The right-hander makes his fourth start Tuesday night at home against the Oakland Athletics, and the Tigers have yet to score with him on the mound.

Pelfrey (0-3, 3.68 ERA) received 11 runs Aug. 12 in a win over Texas while with the Twins but has gone 0-7 since with a 5.54 ERA and nine runs of support in 50 1/3 innings over 11 starts, including 14 2/3 without a run from the Tigers (9-9).

The latest was Thursday's 4-0 loss in Kansas City with Pelfrey giving up three earned runs and eight hits with five walks in five innings. He's walked 11 in 11 innings over the last two starts, and the control problems at least gave him something to focus on other than the nonexistent offense.

"I don't think my command has ever been this bad," Pelfrey told MLB's official website. "But it's unacceptable. I've been terrible. I feel bad for the guys behind me, having to go hit after standing out in the field for 40 minutes.

"I take the blame for this. This is my fault. It's unacceptable. I need to be a lot better. I need to figure it out pretty fast. It's embarrassing. I haven't been good enough for three starts. I've been pretty terrible. I'll figure it out."

His previous starts against Oakland (10-10) offer little inspiration. Pelfrey has lost both with 13 runs allowed in eight innings and two runs of support.

He's up against a fellow veteran who's had his own control struggles lately. Rich Hill (2-2, 3.32) has been the recipient of reasonable support but walked four while giving up one earned run and three hits in six innings of Thursday's 7-3 road win over the New York Yankees.

Hill has traded losses and wins in his first four starts and walked seven in 10 1/3 innings over his last two. What's remained consistent is his ability to make batters miss. The left-hander has 29 strikeouts in 19 innings, including two 10-strikeout games. His 13.74 per nine innings leads MLB.

"Just the fastball-breaking ball, we've been sticking with that combination and have the fastball play off the curveball and the curveball play off the fastball," Hill said. "It's imperative that you have some angle on your pitches and make sure that you can get that late velocity through the zone against them."

He's faced the Tigers out of the bullpen 11 times with a 6.10 ERA, and Miguel Cabrera is 3 for 3 with a home run and double.

The Tigers ended a four-game losing streak with a 7-3 series-opening win Monday with Ian Kinsler out of the lineup due to flu-like symptoms. They had been limited to five runs and a .144 average on the skid, but Cabrera went 4 for 4 with two home runs and four RBIs after going 2 for 25 in the previous seven games.

Oakland's streaky start to the season continued, losing its third straight after a six-game winning streak, four-game skid and three-game win steak. Jed Lowrie is batting .462 in his last seven games, but the A's have a 11.30 ERA from their starters on the most recent skid.

Tokens
Preview: Orioles (11-6) at Rays (8-10)

Venue: Tropicana Field

Ubaldo Jimenez ended a rough second half of 2015 on a positive note and carried it over into his first start this season.

His control has gone off the rails since.

The Baltimore Orioles and their sputtering offense hope Jimenez has it together Tuesday night when he faces the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field.

Jimenez finished last season with 2.37 ERA over his final three starts, then looked solid in his 2016 debut while giving up one earned run and not issuing a walk in seven innings to beat Minnesota on April 7.

The right-hander has walked four in five innings in each of his two starts since, though, and he threw 110 pitches and gave up two runs while allowing the leadoff hitter to reach every inning in Baltimore's 4-3, 10-inning victory over Toronto on Wednesday.

"(My pitches) were moving everywhere," Jimenez said. "It was moving a lot. I felt like I was close on some, but not close enough. They were moving too much."

Jimenez (1-1, 3.71 ERA) didn't face the Rays last season but has allowed one run and walked three in 13 1-3 innings while winning his last two starts against them. The Orioles (11-7) hope Jimenez can handle Tampa Bay again, especially given the fact they've scored one run while losing back-to-back games.

Pedro Alvarez, who entered Monday's series opener 4 for 37, had two of Baltimore's five hits in a 2-0 loss. Manny Machado went 0 for 3 in Sunday's loss to Kansas City to snap his season-opening 16-game hitting streak, then went 0 for 4 against the Rays.

Mark Trumbo's single in the second extended his hitting streak to 10 for the Orioles, who dropped to 4-7 since their unbeaten start. That run included roughing up Jake Odorizzi (0-1, 3.97) on April 10.

Odorizzi allowed four runs and nine hits in six innings of the 5-3 defeat, but he bounced back with seven scoreless innings to beat the Chicago White Sox on April 15. The right-hander struggled again in his last outing, though, giving up five first-inning runs before being chased after four-plus in Thursday's 12-8 loss at Boston.

Odorizzi has a 6.11 ERA in his last three starts against Baltimore and could be in for another tough day if he can't solve two nemeses. Adam Jones is hitting .400 with a homer and a double, and Machado is batting .368 with two homers in their matchups.

"They have a lot of diversity," Odorizzi told MLB's official website. "A lot of right-left combinations, veteran hitters. They do have a lot of power. They have the capability of hitting the ball out of the park any time. So you just have to work your way through the lineup. Navigate. Focus on the guy who's in the box, because there are a lot of guys in that lineup who can hurt you if you're not focused."

Tampa Bay (9-10) has won back-to-back games and didn't need much in the opener to back Chris Archer in his first win of the season. Curt Casali had an RBI double in the fifth before being hit with a pitch with the bases loaded the following inning.

Logan Morrison is hitting .080 in 16 games and Steve Pearce started in his place at first base Monday. Morrison could be back in the lineup for this one having gone 3 for 3 in his career against Jimenez.

Tokens
Preview: Red Sox (9-9) at Braves (4-14)

Venue: Turner Field

The Boston Red Sox brought in David Price to lead the top of their rotation, but he's still searching for answers four outings into an erratic start to his tenure.

Facing the Atlanta Braves has often been the cure for what ails any starter.

After what transpired in his latest uncharacteristic start, Price might settle for feeling a little less comfortable when he tries to deal the powerless Braves their seventh straight loss Tuesday night before this two-city series shifts to Fenway Park.

"That's the best I've felt," Price told the league's official website after allowing eight runs over 3 2/3 innings Thursday in a 12-8 home loss to Tampa Bay. "That's the most disappointing thing. To feel as good as I felt, I want to be able to go out there and get the results that I expect."

Price is 2-0 with a 7.06 ERA so far with the Red Sox (10-9). The highest ERA through four starts in his career isn't that unfathomable, though. The left-hander's 4.20 mark in April is easily his worst of any month.

"I think with power pitchers... (this is) still a building phase of arm strength and overall command, and we may just be seeing that," manager John Farrell said.

Price has gone 2-1 with a 1.89 ERA in three career starts versus Atlanta. He allowed one run while striking out nine over seven innings in a 9-1 road win while pitching for Toronto on Sept. 16.

That Braves team scored the fewest runs in the majors and this one is just as anemic at getting runners across the plate. Atlanta (4-15) has totaled 11 runs with just seven extra-base hits and 55 strikeouts during a losing streak that reached six as Rick Porcello threw 6 1/3 strong innings and Jackie Bradley Jr. homered in Boston's 1-0 victory Monday.

The Braves' homerless stretch reached an unthinkable 14 games, matching the longest streak in their Atlanta history.

Freddie Freeman went 2 for 3 in his first game since getting dropped from third to sixth in the order. The first baseman is hitting just .200 with one of the Braves' three homers.

'I think by putting him in that spot it was nice to just have fun, Just play baseball and don't worry about carrying the team," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "He's not a number six hitter, believe me.'

Atlanta has provided Matt Wisler with one run over his last two starts. The right-hander threw a career-high 115 pitches Thursday and didn't allow an earned run over 6 2/3 innings in a 2-1, 10-inning loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"He's been getting better and better every time out," Gonzalez said.

Wisler (0-1, 3.10 ERA) gets his first look at a Boston team that averaged 6.2 runs and batted .340 over a five-game stretch before finishing with just six hits Monday.

The Red Sox have won 11 of 14 road meetings and nine of the past 11 overall.

Tokens
Preview: Brewers (8-11) at Cubs (14-5)

Game: 1
Venue: Wrigley Field
Date: April 26, 2016 8:05 PM EDT

With Anthony Rizzo and Jason Heyward now heating up, the Chicago Cubs can outslug opponents as well as outpitch them.

Chicago's offensive binge bodes well for Kyle Hendricks, who hasn't received much recent support at Wrigley Field entering Tuesday night's matchup with the Milwaukee Brewers.

The Cubs come into this three-game set after scoring 38 runs in winning three of four at Cincinnati. They capped that series with 15 hits and three home runs - two from Rizzo - to back Jason Hammel's six strong innings in a 9-0 victory.

After hitting .163 through the first 14 games, Rizzo is 6 for 20 with five homers and 10 RBIs over the last five.

'I opened my stance a little bit but nothing major," he said. "You stay with the process. The formula is there. Things will take care of themselves.'

Heyward has broken out from a similarly slow start. The prized free-agent addition, who hit .170 over the first 14 games, is 10 for 20 over the past five after finishing 4 for 5 with three RBIs Sunday.

Chicago (14-5) leads the majors with 119 runs scored, and it's getting solid pitching as well during its best 19-game start since 1969. Hammel, Jake Arrieta and Jon Lester are a combined 9-1 and all sport ERAs under two, with Arrieta throwing his second career no-hitter in Friday's 16-0 rout of the Reds.

Hendricks (1-2, 4.00 ERA) wasn't at his best last time out, however, allowing four runs over 5 1/3 innings Wednesday at St. Louis to lose his second consecutive start.

The right-hander gave up two earned runs in six innings of a 6-1 defeat to Colorado on April 15 in his previous assignment, extending his winless streak at Wrigley Field to seven games including last year's playoffs. The Cubs have totaled three runs with Hendricks on the mound over the last five of those starts.

Hendricks didn't get much help in a 4-1 home loss to Milwaukee on Sept. 23, and he didn't need much in holding the Brewers to one hit in six innings of a 1-0 win at Miller Park on Oct. 3.

Hendricks, 2-1 with a 1.48 ERA in four 2015 meetings with Milwaukee (8-11), faces a lineup that's also being swinging the bats well. The Brewers are averaging 5.5 runs over their last six and homered three times to halt a three-game skid with Sunday's 8-5 win over Philadelphia.

Ryan Braun had a solo homer among his two hits and is 13 for 25 with eight RBIs over a seven-game hitting streak that's raised the 2011 NL MVP's season average to .364.

'Swing is in a good place, bat path is in a good place,' he said. 'But more than that, I'm healthy, healthiest I've been in a while. I feel good.'

Braun is 1 for 8 with four strikeouts against Hendricks. Jonathan Lucroy, batting .323 over an eight-game hitting streak, is 1 for 7.

Heyward is 3 for 5 and Rizzo 4 for 13 with a home run against Jimmy Nelson (3-1, 3.46), who's trying to win four consecutive starts for the first time in his career. He's been well supported in the last two, including Wednesday's 10-5 victory over Minnesota in which he allowed four runs in 6 2/3 innings.

Nelson has posted three quality starts but has been prone to the long ball, having surrendered six homers in 26 innings.

The right-hander is 0-3 in five career starts against Chicago, but posted a 2.61 ERA in three last season while striking out 25 in 20 2/3 innings.

Tokens
Preview: Yankees (7-10) at Rangers (10-9)

Venue: Globe Life Park in Arlington
Date: April 26, 2016 8:05 PM EDT

The promising start to A.J. Griffin's career was derailed after he had Tommy John surgery, forcing him out of the major leagues for the last two years before the Texas Rangers took a chance on him during the offseason.

It's been a long road back, but he's making is making the most of his new opportunity.

Griffin continues his comeback against the visiting New York Yankees looking to help the Rangers snap a four-game skid Tuesday night.

The right-hander's 21-11 record and 3.60 ERA in 47 starts with Oakland in 2012 and '13 seem like distant memories, but he's showing some of that promise with another AL West team.

Griffin (2-0, 3.18 ERA) has given Texas 17 innings over three starts after allowing two runs while striking out six in six innings of a 7-4 win over Houston on Thursday to outpitch reigning AL Cy Young Award winner Dallas Keuchel.

He settled down after giving up back-to-back doubles to start the game.

"I felt like me again," Griffin said. "I felt like I was able to spin the ball the way I wanted to. I was able to hit my spots better. Better lines where I was trying to throw my fastball. Everything was just better."

Griffin faced the Yankees three times while with the A's, going 2-0 with a 3.12 ERA. Remaining unbeaten against them could depend on the Rangers (10-10) getting their act together offensively.

Texas has scored five runs during its skid after scoring 24 times during a four-game winning streak. It was no-hit through six innings in Monday's 3-1 loss and finished with only three hits. Brett Nicholas' homer in the eighth accounted for the lone run.

Adrian Beltre is 0 for 7 over his last two after batting .435 during a six-game hitting streak.

'Obviously if you can get a big league team to go no hits (into) the seventh, you're doing something good," said first baseman Prince Fielder, who had one of the two hits off starter Nathan Eovaldi.

The Yankees (8-10) have won three of four following a 1-7 stretch and got solo homers from Jacoby Ellsbury and Starlin Castro on Monday. Ellsbury, Castro, Mark Teixeira and Austin Romine had two hits apiece.

Alex Rodriguez sat out after leaving Sunday's loss to Tampa Bay with stiffness in his left side. An MRI on his oblique came back negative and he hopes to be back in the lineup for this contest.

Outfielder Aaron Hicks, who has missed the last three, isn't expected back until the weekend because of left shoulder bursitis. The rest of the Yankees will try to provide enough offense for Luis Severino (0-2, 4.86).

Severino gave up two runs in six innings of New York's 7-3 loss to Oakland on Thursday, but he threw 103 pitches and allowed seven hits, putting his opponents' batting average at .352.

The right-hander had a 2.89 ERA in 11 starts as a rookie in 2015.

"He's a young man with a very good arm, and we need to get him on track to where he was last year," manager Joe Girardi told MLB's official website. "(There have been) some location mistakes with him. At times he hasn't had his slider, and that's important to him."

Tokens
Preview: Indians (9-7) at Twins (5-14)

Venue: Target Field
Date: April 26, 2016 8:10 PM EDT

After two painful seasons to begin his shift to the AL, the Minnesota Twins couldn't have been expecting much from Ricky Nolasco this year. But in three starts back from an injury-ravaged 2015 and embarrassing '14, the right-hander has been their best starter.

His next shot at making more believers comes Tuesday night at home against the Cleveland Indians, who will have Michael Brantley in the starting lineup for the first time this season.

Nolasco (1-0, 2.66 ERA) spent time on the 15-day disabled list early last year with right elbow inflammation, then lost four months to a right ankle impingement before returning for a relief appearance and one start. It was hardly enough to begin correcting his struggles since moving to Minnesota, which ended 2015 at 11-14 with a 5.64 ERA, 1.55 WHIP and .317 opponent batting average in 36 games. He was the not-so-arguably worst pitcher in baseball with at least 150 innings pitched.

This year, after winning the No. 5 starter job over Tyler Duffey, the 33-year-old has started the long process of leveling those numbers out and earned his first decision in Thursday's 8-1 win in Milwaukee. Nolasco gave up a run and five hits with seven strikeouts in 6 1/3 innings, dropping this season's numbers to a 0.98 WHIP and .224 OBA.

"He looks like his old self," Brian Dozier told MLB's official website. "He's not a power guy, but he throws every pitch in every count. ... He was just fooling them - 2-0 curveballs and changeups - tricking them."

To Nolasco, it's been more about the slider. He's throwing it 33.7 percent of the time after being at 26.7 in his first two seasons with the club, and confidence is returning to the point he's using it 37.1 percent of the time when he's behind in the count as opposed to 21.9 in 2014-15.

"The slider was pretty good, and I was able to mix in some curveballs and sink the ball when I needed to," Nolasco said. "I think the key thing today was the slider. It's always been a good put-away pitch for me."

It could help him to his first win against the Indians aver going 0-2 with a 5.61 ERA in four starts and a relief appearance.

His opponent, Cody Anderson, has been figured out this season on the levels Nolasco grew used to. The right-hander gave up five runs and nine hits in 3 2/3 innings of Thursday's 10-7 home loss to Seattle but escaped with a no-decision. Anderson (0-1, 7.53) has a .369 OBA with five home runs allowed. Ten of the 12 runs he's surrendered have come over 8 1/3 innings in his last two starts.

Anderson faced Minnesota three times as a rookie, going 2-0 with a 2.86 ERA and one run allowed over 13 2/3 innings of the last two outings.

He'll try to get the Indians back on track after Oswaldo Arcia hit a walk-off home run to lift Minnesota to a 4-3 victory on Monday for its eighth win in the last 10 meetings. It snapped a three-game winning streak for the Indians (9-8) and a three-game skid for the Twins (6-14). Minnesota managed just five hits and is batting .172 in the last four, while Cleveland has limited teams to .148 in its last four.

Brantley (offseason shoulder surgery) made his season debut Monday as a pinch hitter in the eighth inning and will start Tuesday.

"Not only is he one of the better hitters in the game, but he's kind of the heart and soul of this team," manager Terry Francona said.

Trevor Plouffe (intercostal strain) is on track to come off the disabled list for the Twins.

Tokens
Five to Follow MLB Betting: Tuesday, April 26, 2016, Opening Line Report
by Alan Matthews

Some fairly significant injury/suspension news over the weekend. Toronto lost first baseman Chris Colabello for an 80-game drug suspension, which might put the Jays in the market for a lefty-hitting guy who can play there (Cardinals might be a match) or as a DH. Colabello was a revelation last year in hitting .321 with 15 homers and 54 RBIs but was batting just .069 this season. So maybe you can figure out for yourself what the difference has been (ahem, steroids). Justin Smoak takes over as the every-day guy for now. Cleveland and Baltimore lost starting pitchers Carlos Carrasco and Yovani Gallardo, respectively, to the disabled list. Carrasco has a 2.47 ERA dating back to last July 30. Only three Jake Arrieta, Clayton Kershaw and Stephen Strasburg have a lower ERA in that span.

Reds at Mets (-120, 7.5)

Cincinnati will be without Jay Bruce for a couple of games as he was placed on the paternity list. Bruce, who by the way also has been linked to the Blue Jays, is hitting .265 with four homers and 15 RBIs this season. So that's one less good bat Mets starter Bartolo Colon (1-1, 2.89) has to worry about. His starts have gotten progressively worse but still pretty solid. He allowed three runs and four hits over six innings last time out. Colon's next win will be No. 220 for his career, moving him past Pedro Martinez for the second-most among Dominican-born pitchers. Colon didn't face the Reds last year. Joey Votto is 2-for-2 career off him. It's lefty Brandon Finnegan (1-1, 3.74) for Cincinnati. He lasted only four innings on Thursday against the Cubs, allowing five runs and seven hits. He has never faced the Mets.

Key trends: The Mets are 1-7 in Colon's past eight at home. The "over/under" has gone under in four of his past five there.

Early lean: Mets and under.

Phillies at Nationals (-205, 6.5)

Even when Washington's Bryce Harper gets the day off, he still homers. Harper hit a tying ninth-inning pinch-hit shot Sunday against Minnesota -- Harper's first in his career as a pinch-hitter -- and the Nats went on to win in 16 innings and sweep the three-game series. At 5 hours, 56 minutes, it was the longest regular-season game in Nationals' history. Harper and Co. face young Phillies right-hander Vincent Velasquez (2-1, 0.93) here. He allowed five runs, two earned, in 4.1 innings last time out vs. the Mets. Velasquez has never faced Washington. Max Scherzer (2-1, 4.32) goes for the Nationals. He wasn't sharp last time out, allowing five runs and eight hits in five innings in Miami. Originally Joe Ross was going to go here and Scherzer on Wednesday with extra rest, but Ross is dealing with a blister. Philly's Ryan Howard might get this game off considering he's 1-for-16 with 10 strikeouts vs. Scherzer.

Key trends: The Nats are 6-1 in Scherzer's past seven vs. the NL East. Washington is 5-0 in his past five vs. Philly. The under is 3-1-1 in Scherzer's past five on regular rest.

Early lean: Nationals and under.

White Sox at Blue Jays (+120, 7.5)

Chicago's Chris Sale (4-0, 1.80) was the spring favorite to win the AL Cy Young Award, and he's pitching like it. The lefty held the Angels to one unearned run and just two hits over seven innings on Monday. He has allowed four hits combined and no earned runs in his past two starts over 16 innings. Sale was originally to start Monday but is being pushed back a day simply for extra rest. Toronto's Josh Donaldson is 3-for-11 off him with two homers and six RBIs. Toronto knuckleballer R.A. Dickey (1-2, 6.10) comes off his best start of the year, allowing three runs and five hits over six innings in Baltimore. Dickey was 0-1 with a 5.25 ERA in two starts vs. the White Sox last year. Jose Abreu is 4-for-9 with three homers and five RBIs against him. Melky Cabrera is 6-for-18 with two homers and a triple.

Key trends: The Sox are 5-0 in Sale's past five following a quality start in his most recent outing. The Jays are 1-4 in Dickey's past five vs. teams with a winning record. The over is 5-2-2 in Sale's past nine on the road. The over is 5-2-2 in Dickey's past nine.

Early lean: White Sox and over.

Red Sox at Braves (+165, 7)

I wonder if Boston is having buyer's remorse yet on lefty David Price (2-0. 7.06). He was torched for eight runs and eight hits over 3.2 innings in his last start vs. Tampa Bay but avoided the loss. He struck out five, but hit two batters and gave up a pair of homers. It was the most runs Price has ever allowed. Former Oriole Nick Markakis has faced Price more than any Brave, going 14-for-51 with three extra-base hits and nine strikeouts. Atlanta's Matt Wisler (0-1, 3.10) took a no-decision last time out despite not allowing any earned runs and four hits over 6.2 innings vs. the Dodgers. Keep an eye on him here only because he threw a career-high 115 pitches. Wisler has never faced the Red Sox. And presumably he won't get to face David Ortiz as the Red Sox lose the DH. Big Papi can pinch-hit. He has 12 hits in 15 career games in Atlanta, and seven of them have been home runs.

Key trends: Atlanta is 2-5 in Wisler's past seven at home. The under is 6-1 in those seven.

Early lean: Red Sox and under.

Marlins at Dodgers (-240, 6)

This is the lowest total on the board and that will be the case often when Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw (2-0, 1.50) is on the bump. I speculated he might no-hit the Braves in Atlanta in his last start but Kershaw gave up 10 of them -- as many as his first three starts combined -- and one run over eight innings with 10 strikeouts. Eight of the 10 hits were singles. Kershaw also threw an "eephus" pitch in the game that should have been called a strike, but it so surprised the umpire that he didn't. Here's hoping Kershaw makes that a regular part of his arsenal. Kershaw lost his lone start vs. Miami last year, allowing one earned run in seven innings. He's 5-2 with a 1.91 ERA in his career against Miami. Giancarlo Stanton has two doubles and a homer in 15 at-bats off Kershaw. The Marlins' Tom Koehler (1-2, 4.80) beat the Nationals on Thursday, allowing one run and two hits over five innings. Chase Utley hits him well, going 6-for-15 with two doubles, a homer and six RBIs.

Key trends: The Marlins are 2-5 in Koehler's past seven on the road. The under is 9-3 in Kershaw's past 12 at home.

Early lean: Dodgers on runline and under.

Tokens
National League games

Phillies @ Nationals
Velasquez is 2-1, 2.33 in three starts this month (under 2-1).

Scherzer is 2-1, 4.32 in four starts this month (over 3-1).

Philly won three of its last four games; over is 7-2 in their last nine. Washington won its last eight home games; under is 5-2-1 in its last eight games overall.

Reds @ Mets
Finnegan is 1-1, 5.40 in four starts this month (last three went over). .

Colon is 1-1, 3.12 in three starts this month (over 2-1).

Mets won seven of last eight games; eight of their last ten went over. Cincinnati lost six of seven road games (over 6-1).

Brewers @ Cubs
Nelson is 3-0, 4.34 in his last three starts (over 2-2 this month).

Hendricks is 1-2, 5.00 in three starts this month (under 2-1)

Milwaukee lost six of its last nine games; over is 5-1-1 in its last seven. Cubs won five of last seven games; they’re 5-1 in series openers. Over is 4-0-1 in Chicago’s last five games overall.

Pirates @ Rockies
Cole is 1-2, 2.70 in three starts this month (over 2-1).

De la Rosa is 1-2, 10.39 in four starts this month (over 3-1); he mised his last turn with an illness.

Pirates are 6-3 in their last nine games; seven of their last nine road games went over. Colorado lost five of its last six games; four of its last six home tilts went over. .

Cardinals @ Diamondbacks
Martinez is 3-0, 2.70 in three starts this month (over 3-0).

Miller is 0-1, 8.59 in four starts this month (over 4-0).

Cardinals won five of their last seven road games (over 6-1). Arizona won six of its last eight games but is just 4-7 at home- four of their last five games went over.

Marlins @ Dodgers
Koehler is 1-2, 5.40 in three starts this month (under 2-1).

Kershaw is 2-0, 1.80 in four starts this month (over 2-2).

Dodgers won eight of their last 12 games; under is 5-1-1 in their home games. Miami lost eight of its last 12 games- three of their last four games went over

Padres @ Giants
Shields is 0-3, 4.15 in four starts this month (under 3-1).

Cueto is 3-1, 3.49 in four starts this month (over 2-1-1).

San Diego lost four of its last five games; over is 8-1 in their last nine. Giants won three of their last four games (over 9-3-1 in last 13).

American League games

White Sox @ Blue Jays
Sale is 4-0, 2.10 in four starts this month (under 2-1-1).

Dickey is 0-2, 8.04 in his last three starts (over 2-2 this month).

Chicago won six of its last seven games; under is 7-2 in its last nine road games. Blue Jays won four of last six home games; eight of their last 12 games overall stayed under the total.

A’s @ Tigers
Hill is 2-1, 3.31 in his last three starts (under 2-1-1 this month).

Pelfrey is 0-3, 6.75 in three starts this month (under 2-1).

Oakland lost its last three games, all of which went over total. Detroit lost five of its last seven home games (over 6-1).

Orioles @ Rays
Jimenez is 1-1, 4.24 in three starts this month (under 3-0).

Odorizzi is 0-0, 1.42 in two home starts this month (under 3-1).

Baltimore lost four of its last five road games; six of its last seven games stayed under the total. Tampa Bay is 6-3 in its last nine games; under is 8-1 in its last nine home games. .

Bronx @ Rangers
Severino is 0-2, 4.86 in three starts (under 2-1).

Griffin is 2-0, 3.71 in three starts this month (over 2-1).

Bronx is 4-8 in its last 12 games; three of its last five games went over. Rangers lost their last four games, but won five of last seven at home; over is 7-2 in their last nine home games. .

Indians @ Twins
Anderson is 0-2, 7.54 in three starts this month (over 3-0).

Nolasco is 1-0, 2.66 in three starts this month (over 2-1).

Cleveland won five of its last six road games; three of its last five road games went over the total. Minnesota lost five of its last seven games; over is 7-3-1 in their last eleven games.

Royals @ Angels
Volquez is 3-0, 1.46 in four starts this month (under 4-0).

Weaver is 2-0, 3.12 in three starts this month (under 2-1).

Kansas City won 11 of its last 17 games; five of its last six games stayed under the total. Angels lost seven of their last 11 games; five of their last six home games went under the total.

Astros @ Mariners
Keuchel is 2-2, 3.71 in four starts this month (over 2-2)

Karns is 1-1, 5.87 in three starts this month (under 2-1).

Houston lost six of its last seven games; over is 7-3 in their road games. Seattle won five of its last six games but is 2-5 at home; under is 7-2 in their last nine games. .

Interleague

Red Sox @ Braves
Price is 1-0, 8.62 in his last three starts (over 3-1 this month).

Wisler is 0-1, 3.72 in three starts this month (under 2-1).

Red Sox won six of their last seven road games; under is 8-4 in their last 12 games. Atlanta is 1-11 at home; over is 7-2-1 in their last ten home games.

Teams won-lost records when this pitcher starts:
Phil-Wsh– Velasquez 2-1; Scherzer 3-1
Cin-NY– Finnegan 2-2; Colon 1-2
Mil-Chi– Nelson 3-1; Hendricks 1-2
Pitt-Colo– Cole 1-2; De la Rosa 2-2
StL-Az– Martinez 3-0; Miller 2-2
Mia-LA– Koehler 1-2; Kershaw 4-0
SD-SF– Shields 0-4; Cueto 3-1

Chi-Tor– Sale 4-0; Dickey 1-3
A’s-Det– Hill 2-2; Pelfrey 0-3
Balt-TB– Jimenez 2-1; Odorizzi 2-2
NY-Tex– Severino 0-3; Griffin 2-1
Cle-Minn– Anderson 0-3; Nolasco 2-1
KC-LA– Volquez 4-0; Weaver 2-1
Hst-Sea– Keuchel 2-2; Karns 2-1

Bos-Atl– Price 2-2; Wisler 0-3

Starting pitchers allowing 1+ runs in first inning:
Phil-Wsh– Velasquez 1-3; Scherzer 3-4
Cin-NY– Finnegan 2-4; Colon 1-3
Mil-Chi– Nelson 1-4; Hendricks 1-3
Pitt-Colo– Cole 1-3; De la Rosa 2-2
StL-Az– Martinez 0-3; Miller 0-4
Mia-LA– Koehler 2-3; Kershaw 1-4
SD-SF– Shields 1-4; Cueto 2-4

Chi-Tor– Sale 0-4; Dickey 2-4
A’s-Det– Hill 1-4; Pelfrey 3-3
Balt-TB– Jimenez 1-3; Odorizzi 1-4
NY-Tex– Severino 1-3; Griffin 1-3
Cle-Minn– Anderson 1-3; Nolasco 1-3
KC-LA– Volquez 0-4; Weaver 1-3
Hst-Sea– Keuchel 2-4; Karns 2-3

Bos-Atl– Price 2-4; Wisler 1-3

Tokens
Jose Altuve is only the 5th player since 1913 to post 9+ doubles and 9+ steals in April.

Tokens
In 16 career games at Dodger Stadium, Giancarlo Stanton is slugging .746.

Tokens
Red Sox - David Ortiz, Rest - is not in the starting lineup Tuesday (4/26) at Atlanta

Tokens
Brewers - Ryan Braun, Rest - is not in the starting lineup Tuesday (4/26) at Chicago Cubs

Tokens
Brandon Phillips (finger, shin) is not in the Reds' lineup Tuesday against the Mets.

Phillips is beat up after taking a pitch off his left finger Monday and fouling a ball off his left shin. Ivan DeJesus Jr. will take over at second base and bat seventh against right-hander Bartolo Colon. Consider Phillips day-to-day.

Tokens
Russell Martin (neck) will sit again Tuesday.

And he might also sit out Wednesday ahead of Thursday's scheduled off day, but manager John Gibbons said he is not expected the absence to go on longer than that. Martin has been dealing with some neck stiffness. Josh Thole is behind the plate Tuesday versus the White Sox.

Tokens
Matt Holliday (leg) is out of the Cardinals' starting lineup Tuesday night in Arizona.

Holliday made an early exit from Monday's game after experiencing some cramping in his right leg. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but the veteran slugger had right quad problems throughout 2015 so this is certainly something worth monitoring. Jeremy Hazelbaker will start in left field and Matt Carpenter will hit third.

Tokens
Alex Rodriguez (oblique) is out again Tuesday.

A-Rod also sat out Monday after making an early exit Sunday with stiffness in his oblique. An MRI came back negative for a strain, so the hope is that the veteran slugger will be fine in a couple of days. Mark Teixeira is at DH and Dustin Ackley is at first base on Tuesday night against Rangers right-hander A.J. Griffin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalissaPal
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com