Friday 9/23/16 service plays chatter/comps/requests & other stuff...

Search
Tokens
Preview: White Sox (72-80) at Indians (89-63)

Game: 1
Venue: Progressive Field
Date: September 23, 2016 7:10 PM EDT

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Indians are on the verge of clinching their first American League Central title in nine years. The Chicago White Sox, meanwhile, are on the verge of completing their fourth straight losing season.

The teams meet Friday night at Progressive Field in the first contest of a three-game series. The Indians, who are coming off a three-game sweep of Kansas City, are 89-63 and hold a seven-game lead over second place Detroit with 10 games to play. Cleveland's magic number for clinching is four.

The White Sox have lost five games in a row and are 72-75, fourth place in the Central.

The Indians overcame a rash of injuries this season and are on the brink of winning their eighth Central Division title. Even more impressive is that the Indians are where they are despite losing their best hitter, Michael Brantley, their starting catcher, Yan Gomes, plus two of their top three starters, Carlos Carrasco and Danny Salazar, to season-ending injuries.

Through it all, Cleveland manager Terry Francona has remained upbeat.

"Whenever you lose somebody, whoever takes his place may not be capable of doing it all year, but in the short term they may be very capable," Francona said.

The injuries to Carrasco and Salazar, the club's Nos. 2 and 3 starters, makes the approaching postseason look very daunting.

"What we have are not just bodies, but some young pitchers we feel pretty good about," Francona said. "I'd much rather have Danny and Carlos, but we're not going to whine about it. You do the best with what you have."

What the Indians have is a starting rotation of Corey Kluber, who could win the Cy Young Award this year for the second time in three years, plus Trevor Bauer and Josh Tomlin. After that it gets a little murky. Mike Clevinger, a candidate to be the fourth starter in the postseason should Cleveland need one, started Thursday night against Kansas City and in five innings gave up two runs on four hits, with four strikeouts and two walks. He was not involved in the decision.

Kluber will not pitch in the Chicago series.

Friday's pitching matchup will be Cleveland's Trevor Bauer (11-8, 4.24) versus Chicago's Miguel Gonzalez (4-7, 3.83).

In three appearances (two starts) against the White Sox this year, Bauer is 0-1 with a 4.40 ERA. In his career against Chicago, he is 3-2, 3.70 in 11 appearances (nine starts).

Gonzalez has never lost to the Indians. In five career appearances (four starts), he is 4-0 with a 3.26 ERA. He has made one start against the Indians this year, winning 11-4 on Sept. 12.

Tokens
Preview: Angels (67-86) at Astros (81-72)

Game: 2
Venue: Minute Maid Park
Date: September 23, 2016 8:10 PM EDT

HOUSTON -- It seemed only a matter of time before the odds finally worked against the Astros in their season series against the Angels, who entered Thursday having dropped 11 consecutive games against Houston.

In the opener of the penultimate series between the American League West rivals, the Astros (81-72) wasted a second consecutive solid pitching performance from right-hander Mike Fiers. The Angels rode a first-inning home run from Albert Pujols to a 2-0 victory and just their second win over the Astros in 13 meetings this season.

The Astros' inconsistent starting pitching carried them through a six-game road trip in which they won five times, but the one weak link of late was responsible for that lone loss in Seattle and will take the mound on Friday night looking to even the series against the Angels (67-86).

Astros right-hander Doug Fister (12-12, 4.45 ERA) has suffered through a miserable final month, going 0-3 with a 12.42 ERA over four starts. Fister, 3-3 with a 2.72 ERA in his career against the Angels, had been the Astros' most consistent starter this season before cratering in September. With Fister lasting at least five innings only once in his last five appearances, an early hook is certainly in play.

"I've gone with that model the whole (month of) September," Astros manager A.J. Hinch said of having starters on a short leash. "I want to get these guys in a position to hand the ball to the bullpen in a good spot. Doug's a pro. He's been really good for us at times this year. He's had a couple times where he hasn't been as good. I know recently his performance hasn't been up to his standards.

"It's all hands on deck the entire month of September. Doesn't mean he (Fister) can't last five, six or seven innings."

Angels right-hander Alex Meyer (1-3, 5.63 ERA) will make his sixth appearance and fifth start of the season. Acquired from Minnesota on Aug. 1 along with right-hander Ricky Nolasco, who won the series opener with seven shutout innings of work, Meyer earned his first career win on Sunday against the Blue Jays after tossing five scoreless innings in a 4-0 victory.

Meyer fanned seven batters in his outing, setting a career high along with his innings pitched. After struggling in two appearances with the Twins to the tune of an 0-1 record and 12.27 ERA, including a May 3 start against the Astros where he surrendered three runs on three hits and three walks over 2 2/3 innings, Meyer is showing signs of settling in with the Angels, his third professional organization.

"Hopefully more of the same of what he's thrown the last couple outings," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Meyer, who was selected by the Washington Nationals in the first round (23rd overall) of the 2011 draft. "We've seen a big arm, we've seen a guy that spins the ball well. I think he's finding a consistent arm slot and release point and through all this process of where Alex is right now, he's in the process of finding himself again.

"Hopefully we'll continue to see that continued growth moving forward of what he's been doing since he's been here."

Tokens
Preview: Mariners (80-72) at Twins (55-98)

Venue: Target Field
Date: September 23, 2016 8:10 PM EDT

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Twins second baseman Brian Dozier is having an historic season individually, but his accomplishments are getting overshadowed by his team's lack of success.

In the first game of a Thursday doubleheader between Minnesota and the Detroit Tigers, Dozier set an American League record for most home runs by a second baseman. His first-inning homer was his 42nd home run of the year and 40th as a second baseman.

Dozier extended his hitting streak to 24 games in the early contest, tying him for the third-longest streak in Twins history. He also scored his 100th run, the third year in a row he reached that milestone.

Those accomplishments occurred in a 9-2 loss, and he went 0-for-4 to see his streak end during a 4-2 defeat in the nightcap.

The Twins slipped to a major-league-worst 55-98 as they close in on their first 100-loss season since 1982.

"It's unfortunate for him that he hasn't been able to celebrate a lot of those home runs with the losses," said Twins manager Paul Molitor.

As a team, the Twins don't have much to play for in the final stretch of the season -- other than possibly spoiling other teams' playoff hopes. That didn't happen this week against Detroit as the Tigers swept the three-game series against the Twins. Detroit (82-72) grabbed a half-game lead in the race for the second AL wild-card spot.

Now the Twins host another team in the wild-card hunt. The Seattle Mariners (80-72) come to Target Field for a three-game series this weekend, and they reside two games back of the final playoff spot.

However, between the Tigers and the Tigers are two other teams. The Baltimore Orioles (82-71) are a half-game out, and the Houston Astros (81-72) are 1 1/2 games back.

"We're not dead," Seattle manager Scott Servais said. "We need help. And we need to play good ball in Minnesota. That's a team I don't take lightly. They handed us our lunch here (in Seattle) earlier in the year. They've got a lot of young players that play loose and free, and that's how we've got to play."

Mariners center fielder Leonys Martin told MLB.com, "We go to the road now, and we play good on the road. We just have to keep fighting and keep believing. We've got a chance. All September has been like the playoffs for us. We'll just keep playing and believing. That's the only way we're going to make it."

For a Twins roster laden with lots of young and inexperienced players, facing yet another team playing for its playoff life could serve as a teaching moment.

"Through all this, you try to find ways to be optimistic and find something to grab a hold of and observe each and every game, especially with the youth that we have," Dozier said. "This time of year, you can see it, especially the veterans. They do the little things right 100 percent of the time in order to win games. I hope (the youngsters are) observing this, a lot of people in here."

The series begins Friday with Mariners left-hander James Paxton (4-7, 3.88 ERA) opposing Twins right-hander Kyle Gibson (6-10, 5.10 ERA).

Paxton has just one win in his past eight starts, but he owns a respectable 3.51 ERA in that span. His lone career appearance against the Twins came last year, when he gave up one run in 4 2/3 innings.

Gibson owns just one victory in his past six starts, compiling a 5.66 ERA in that stretch. In his career, he is 2-1 with a 2.81 ERA in five starts against the Mariners.

Tokens
Preview: Rangers (90-63) at Athletics (66-86)

Venue: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
Date: September 23, 2016 9:35 PM EDT

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Left-hander Cole Hamels has a gaudy 14-5 record and solid 3.42 ERA in his first full season with the first-place Texas Rangers, but has struggled down the stretch.

In his past four starts, Hamels is 0-1 with a 10.50 ERA over 18 innings. He allowed 25 hits and 21 runs while walking 14 and striking out 20 during that span, which included a rough outing a week ago in Arlington against the Oakland Athletics.

Hamels gave up six runs and two homers over six innings and had a no-decision in the 7-6 Rangers' victory against Oakland on Sept. 16.

One week later, Hamels gets a rematch against the A's and right-hander Kendall Graveman on Friday night at the Oakland Coliseum. With the postseason quickly approaching, Hamels is running out of time to get back on track, but Rangers manager Jeff Banister isn't worried.

"I don't have a lot of concern for Cole," Banister said after Hamels' last outing. "This is a premier pitcher that I feel confident is going to get himself right and is going to put quality starts together for us, and he'll be ready when we need him."

Hamels gave up home runs to A's outfielders Khris Davis and Brett Eibner last week, but also walked three batters, continuing a trend. In his past four starts he has averaged 3.5 walks.

"The walks hurt me again," Hamels said. "That's four games in a row where walks have really been the deciding factor. It's unacceptable on my part just in the sense of what I'm capable of doing and what is expected when I go out there."

The Rangers' magic number to win the American League West was cut to one Thursday night when second-place Houston lost to the Los Angeles Angels 2-0.

Graveman (10-10) is 9-4 with a 3.78 ERA over his past 20 outings, but had a nightmarish game two starts ago against Seattle, giving up 12 hits and eight runs over five innings in a 14-3 loss. Graveman pitched much better in his next start against Texas. He gave up four runs on seven hits over 5 1/3 innings. He left the game with a 6-3 lead but got a no-decision.

"The one against Seattle wasn't good," Graveman said Wednesday. "I didn't have great stuff. But I felt the one in Texas I threw the ball really well. I gave my team a chance to win. Something I didn't do against Seattle.

"That's my goal every time I go out is, first off, pitch deep in the ball game, and second off, be able when I come out to say that hey, we either have a lead or a chance to win a ball game. That was one of the things you kind of take away from that, a positive attitude and get ready to get out there and face that same team again in a couple days."

A's manager Bob Melvin liked what he saw from Graveman against Texas.

"I thought he threw the ball well the last time out," Melvin said. "The time before he struggled some, but last time out I thought he threw the ball well. It was really hot that night, but I thought he threw the ball the way we've seen him here the better part of the last couple months."

Hamels has faced the A's twice this season and has two no-decisions. On May 17 in Oakland, he gave up three earned runs over 6 2/3 innings in an 8-5 loss but allowed three solo home runs, two to Davis and one to Danny Valencia.

Davis has hit 10 of his team-high 40 home runs this season against the Rangers. In 15 games versus Texas, he's hitting .370 with 24 RBIs, a .444 on-base percentage and a 1.019 slugging percentage. When the A's took two of three games from Texas in Arlington last weekend, Davis hit three home runs -- one each off Hamels, Colby Lewis and Keone Kela.

Davis missed the final two games of Oakland's three-game series against Houston with a stomach ailment, but after an off day Thursday, is expected to return to action against Texas.

Tokens
Preview: Rockies (73-80) at Dodgers (87-66)

Venue: Dodger Stadium
Date: September 23, 2016 10:10 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES -- Yasiel Puig is one of the Los Angeles Dodgers' hottest hitters at Dodger Stadium this month, but that won't prevent him from platooning with Josh Reddick.

"Both guys feel they should be in the lineup every day, and I completely understand that, but if you look up and down our roster, a lot of guys can make that case," Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. "It's a challenge in the sense of juggling the playing time and keeping everyone interested, but it is a luxury in the sense that I can match guys up and put them, individually, in the best chance to have success.

"They're both productive offensively, and they both can defend."

The left-handed-hitting Reddick got the start Thursday against Colorado Rockies right-hander Tyler Chatwood. Reddick went 1-for-4 with an RBI and also committed an error in Los Angeles' 7-4 win in the opener of a four-game series.

With the Rockies starting two more right-handers Friday and Saturday, Reddick is expected to get the nod for both games. Roberts wouldn't tip his hand, but all indications are that Puig won't start until Sunday, when Colorado southpaw Tyler Anderson will be on the hill.

Puig drilled a three-run home run in the first inning of the Dodgers' 9-3 win over the San Francisco Giants on Wednesday. It was his 11th homer of the season.

Since being recalled Sept. 2 after a demotion to Triple-Oklahoma City, Puig is 8-for-20 (.400) with three home runs, a double and eight RBIs in eight games at Dodger Stadium. Puig, who went 1-for-1 with a walk Thursday after entering as a seventh-inning pinch hitter, is batting .256 with 43 RBIs on the year.

He also has been a model teammate since his return.

"I think the demeanor on and off the field has been consistent in that he's understanding that it's more than about himself, it's about the team," Roberts said. "He's done everything we've asked of him. I've said it before. All the credit goes to him."

Reddick got off to a slow start offensively after the Dodgers acquired him and left-hander Rich Hill from the Oakland Athletics at the trade deadline.

Reddick batted .161 with no home runs and one RBI in 87 at-bats in August. However, in the past 15 games, Reddick is hitting .367 with a home run. Overall, Reddick is batting .248 with a homer and four RBIs in 41 games with the Dodgers.

Jon Gray (10-8, 4.42 ERA) will try to keep the Dodgers quiet offensively as he gets the start Friday for Colorado. In his most recent start, Gray registered a franchise-record 16 strikeouts in a complete-game, 8-0 victory over the San Diego Padres on Saturday.

Gray is 2-2 with a 3.38 ERA in five career starts against the Dodgers, including a 2-1 mark and a 3.27 ERA in four starts this year. The 24-year-old right-hander is 0-2 with a 4.22 ERA at Dodger Stadium.

Scott Kazmir (10-6, 4.59 ERA) will oppose Gray. Kazmir will pitch for the first time since Aug. 22 at Cincinnati, where he allowed four runs on six hits in 2 2/3 innings but did not factor in the decision in the Dodgers' 18-9 victory.

The 32-year-old left-hander spent the past month on the disabled list due to neck inflammation.

In three career starts against the Rockies, Kazmir is 2-0 with a 3.71 ERA. This year vs. Colorado, he is 1-0 with a 3.27 ERA.

The first-place Dodgers (87-66) own a six-game lead on the second-place San Francisco Giants (81-72) in the National League West with nine games remaining. The Dodgers, who have won two in a row, have a magic number of four.

The Rockies (73-80) are 1-3 in their past four games.

Tokens
Preview: Giants (81-72) at Padres (64-89)

Venue: PETCO Park
Date: September 23, 2016 10:40 PM EDT

SAN DIEGO -- There's a sandbox behind Petco Park's center field fence that is usually filled with kids.

Which, come to think of it, is much like the Padres' lineup.

San Diego will wrestle with San Francisco on Friday with a batting order much like it displayed in Thursday's 2-1 loss to the Giants.

The Giants are all in, knowing their best path to the playoffs is as an NL wild-card team.

The Padres, meanwhile, are all peach fuzz.

"They are good players though," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "They have had good years, the young players that are playing. You better make your pitches to them."

The Padres' sales pitch is watch their youngsters grow.

Outfielders Hunter Renfroe, the Pacific Coast League MVP, and Manuel Margot are here. Same goes for catcher Austin Hedges and infielder Carlos Asuaje, the PCL hit leader.

"The last thing you should do is take for granted that someone is a young player and he is trying feel his way up here," Bochy said. "They played for a team that just won the PCL championship. That was a good team down there and they had a lot of good players."

Padres manager Andy Green feels the same way. He has no qualms about penciling in the rookies despite the Giants locked in competition with others for a postseason berth.

"I think that's like common wisdom of what most people would say," Green said. "The reality is when the Yankees called up all their young guys everyone thought they were throwing in the towel for the season, from the public's perspective, and they made a run for the playoffs."

And by inserting the fresh faces it's not like Green is breaking up the 1927 Yankees. The Padres are barreling toward their sixth straight losing season.

"We don't know what these guys are on a baseball field yet," Green said. "They come up and if they swing the bat well, they are going to be part of our future. So to deprive them the opportunity to be play on the major league level because we are supposed to put our 'A' lineup on the field? This may be our 'A' lineup. It may be this year and it may be next year. What it is right know is the unknown. To me it's about them."

At least the Padres' starter will have some rings around his tree. Veteran Edwin Jackson (4-6, 6.00) faces Albert Suarez (3-4, 4.16).

Green promises the Giants will get the lowly Padres' best shot.

"When the game is on the line, we are managing everything to win the baseball game," he said. "Every decision we make as a staff is to win the game. There is nobody throwing in the towel based on who we put in the lineup.

"These guys are going to play. I don't feel any obligation to put out a certain lineup in order to keep it competitive for what people perceive to be for the greater good of major league baseball."

Sounds fair, skipper -- just keep the young 'uns out of the sand box.

Tokens
Five to Follow MLB Betting: Friday, September 23, 2016, Opening Line Report
by Alan Matthews

As of Thursday, there's a three-way tie for the two National League wild-card spots between the Cardinals, Mets and Giants. Bit of a long shot that three end up that way by next Sunday night, but here's what would happen if there was an unprecedented three-way tie: On Monday, Oct. 3, the Cardinals would host the Mets and the winner of that is one of the wild-card teams. Essentially, the Giants are the third-place team of the three because they lost the season series to the Mets and Cardinals. And St. Louis, as of now, would be the top seed because it has a better intradivision record than the Mets do (that could change by next Sunday). On Tuesday, Oct. 4, the loser of the Mets-Cardinals game plays in San Francisco for the second wild-card spot. On then on Wednesday, Oct. 5, the winner of Monday's game would play the winner of Tuesday's game. Where that would be would depend on the winners, but it won't be in San Francisco. And then the Wednesday winner opens the NLDS on Friday, Oct. 7 at the Cubs. Got all that?

Cardinals at Cubs (-215, TBA)

The lone matinee with a 2 p.m. ET start and should have live betting with it televised by ESPN. The Cubs could potentially clinch the top seed in the National League on Friday (magic number is 2 vs. Washington), but that's a foregone conclusion. This series obviously means much more to rival St. Louis. The Cards start Mike Leake (9-10, 4.54). He took a no-decision on Saturday at his former Giants team, allowing two runs over six innings. Leake is winless in three starts since returning from the DL thanks to poor run support. He's 0-2 with a 4.26 ERA in three starts this year vs. the Cubs. Chris Coghlan figures to get a spot start as he's 11-for-19 off Leake with four doubles and two homers. Anthony Rizzo hits .342 off him with two homers in 38 at-bats. The lone worry on the Cubs right now is the wildness of Jake Arrieta (17-7, 2.96). He lost last time out vs. the Brewers in allowing four runs over six innings with four more walks. He's third in the National League with 73 passes. Arrieta is 2-1 with a 3.45 ERA in three starts against the Cardinals in 2016. Matt Carpenter is a shocking 0-for-21 off him with six strikeouts. Yadier Molina is 3-for-21 with eight strikeouts.

Key trends: The Cardinals are 5-2 in Leake's past seven on the road. The Cubs are 5-1 in Arrieta's past six at home vs. St. Louis. The "over/under" is 5-0 in his past five against the Cards.

Early lean: Cardinals.

Yankees at Blue Jays (TBA)

ESPN2 game. This is worth watching simply to see what the Yankees' unbelievable rookie Gary Sanchez will do -- could he steal Rookie of the Year honors? Sanchez hit his 17th homer of the season on Tuesday, all coming since Aug. 10. That's the most HRs in a season for a player who did not hit one before Aug. 1 in MLB history. He hit two more on Wednesday to become the fastest in MLB history to 19 dingers. I still don't see how he can win ROY with such a late call-up, but Sanchez has been the AL's best hitter since. The Yanks are scheduled to go with 25-year-old Bryan Mitchell (1-1, 6.00). He made his fourth start of the season Saturday in Boston and allowed four runs over 4.2 innings in a no-decision. His season debut was Sept. 7 vs. the Jays and Mitchell got his first big-league win, throwing five shutout innings. The Jays counter with lefty Francisco Liriano (7-13, 5.08), who lost at the Angels in Saturday in giving up four runs (two earned) over six. He threw two scoreless innings at the Yankees on Sept 5. Brett Gardner is 6-for-13 career off him with five RBIs.

Key trends: The Yankees are 1-4 in their past five against a lefty. The Jays are 1-4 in their past five after an off day. New York is 0-5 in its past five in Toronto. The under is 5-1 in Liriano's past six starts.

Early lean: New York hasn't announced Mitchell officially yet, but it should be him. Toronto will be favored by a fair amount, and take the Jays and over regardless of total.

Diamondbacks at Orioles (-180, 10)

The problem with 15 teams in each league is that there's interleague play every day. The Orioles' playoff fate really shouldn't be determined this late in the season by beating up on a bad National League team. The Diamondbacks will add the DH. Arizona goes with bust Shelby Miller (2-12, 6.90), and I can't imagine facing a stronger AL lineup will help him. He has allowed at least four runs in three straight starts and not lasted more than 5.1 innings. Miller has never faced the Orioles. Mark Trumbo is 0-for-6 off him. Pedro Alvarez is 5-for-20 with three solo homers. Baltimore's Yovani Gallardo (5-8, 5.77) comes off an ugly outing against Tampa Bay, lasting 3.1 innings and allowing six runs and seven hits. He allowed a home run in the first inning for a fourth straight outing. Plenty of Diamondbacks have faced Gallardo. Paul Goldschmidt is 6-for-10 with three RBIs. Chris Owings is 2-for-7 with a homer.

Key trends: The Diamondbacks are 0-8 in Miller's past eight vs. teams with a winning record. The Orioles are 0-4 in Gallardo's past four at home. The under is 8-1 in his past nine at home.

Early lean: Orioles and over.

Phillies at Mets (-162, 7.5)

Some rare good injury news for that Mets rotation? Lefty Steven Matz (9-8, 3.40) is expected to make his first big-league start since Aug. 14 as he's been on the DL with elbow troubles. Matz pitched a bullpen session on Wednesday and felt good. He certainly will be on a very tight pitch count, probably 50 or so. Matz has somehow avoided the division-rival Phillies in his young career. Philadelphia's Jeremy Hellickson (12-9, 3.57) comes off one of the best starts of his career, throwing a complete-game three-hitter against the Marlins. He didn't walk anyone and struck out five. It was Hellickson's his first shutout since May 13, 2011, when he pitched for the Rays. He is 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA in four starts this year against the Mets. Yoenis Cespedes is 6-for-14 off him with three homers and six RBIs. Asdrubal Cabrera is 7-for-18 with a homer.

Key trends: The Phillies are 5-2 in Hellickson's past seven on the road. The over is 4-1 in his past five there.

Early lean: Phillies and under.

Rangers at A's (+132, 7.5)

It doesn't really matter which team Texas faces in the ALDS, the Rangers aren't going to win that series if ace lefty Cole Hamels doesn't get right -- and his Cy Young chances are gone. Hamels (14-5, 3.42) was shelled again last time out for six runs and seven hits (two homers) over six innings against these A's, although Texas would win the game 7-6. Hamels is 0-1 with a 10.50 ERA in his last four starts. He has faced the A's four times this year and is 1-1 with a 3.71 ERA. Khris Davis is 4-for-7 off him with three homers. Danny Valencia is 3-for-12 with a homer. Oakland's Kendall Graveman (10-10, 4.21) was opposite Hamels in that 7-6 Rangers win last week and Graveman allowed four runs and seven hits in 5.1 innings in a no-decision. He had a 6-2 lead entering the sixth inning. Graveman is 1-1 with a 7.47 ERA in three starts against the Rangers overall. Elvis Andrus is 3-for-6 off him with two doubles. Mitch Moreland is 3-for-6 with a homer.

Key trends: The Rangers are 20-3 in Hamels' past 23 vs. teams with a losing record. The A's are 0-5 in Graveman's past five vs. the AL West. The under is 5-1 in his past six at home.

Early lean: Rangers and under.

Tokens
MLB

Friday’s games

National League

Cardinals @ Cubs
Leake is 0-1, 4.96 in his last three starts (under 3-0). Cardinals are 9-5 in his road starts.

Arrieta is 1-2, 6.08 in his last four starts; six of his last seven went over. Cubs are 3-6 in his last nine home starts.

Cardinals won four of last five games, are 12-13 in road series openers. Four of their last five games stayed under. Chicago won their last three games, are 22-4 in home series openers. Three of their last four games stayed under.

Nationals @ Pirates
Gonzalez is 1-1, 8.16 in his last three starts; four of his last six went over. Washington is 2-8 in his last ten road starts.

Taillon is 1-1, 3.38 in his last three starts; under is 7-2 in his last nine. Pirates won six of his last eight home starts.

Nationals lost four of last five games, are 15-10 in road series openers. Under is 10-3-1 in their last 14 road games. Pittsburgh won six of last eight games, is 3-6 in last nine home series openers. Over is 5-2-1 in their last eight games.

Braves @ Marlins
Wisler is 3-1, 3.75 in his last four starts; over is 6-1-1 in his last eight. Braves are 4-5 in his road starts.

Cashner is 1-2, 6.85 in his last five starts; under is 5-2 in his last seven.

Braves won their last six games; over is 9-2 in their last ten road games. Miami won three of last five games; under is 13-3 in Miami’s last sixteen home games.

Phillies @ Mets
Hellickson is 2-0, 0.59 in his last two starts; under is 11-3-2 in his last 16 starts. Phillies are 7-6 in his road starts.

Ynoa allowed one run in 4.2 IP (76 PT) in his first ’16 start.

Phillies won four of last six games; under is 7-1-1 in their last nine road games. Mets lost three of last four games; seven of last ten games at Citi Field stayed under the total.

Reds @ Brewers
DeSclafani is 0-2, 5.82 in his last three starts; three of his last four went over. Reds lost three of his last four road starts.

Davies is 2-1, 3.16 in his last five starts; over is 5-2 in his last seven starts. Milwaukee lost four of his last five home outings.

Reds lost seven of last eight games, are 7-17 in road series openers. Under is 7-2 in their last nine road games. Milwaukee is 5-3 in its last eight games, 10-14 in home series openers. Under is 3-0-1 in their last four home games.

Giants @ Padres
Suarez is 0-3, 4.13 in his last five starts (under 4-1). Giants are 3-3 in his road stats.

Jackson is 1-4, 8.69 in his last six starts; four of his last five starts stayed under. San Diego is 3-3 in his home starts.

Giants lost four of last six games; five of last si Giant games stayed under. San Diego is 5-9 in last 14 home games; last six Padre games stayed under the total.

Rockies @ Dodgers
Gray is 2-2, 3.66 in his last five starts; over is 6-2 in his last eight. Rockies lost five of his last six road starts.

Kazmir is 1-3, 5.61 in his last five starts; over is 5-1-2 in his last eight. Dodgers are 5-6 in his home starts.

Colorado is 4-13 in last 17 road games; over is 8-3 in their last 11 road games. Dodgers won eight of last nine home games; under is 11-5 in their last sixteen games.

American League

New York @ Toronto
Mitchell is 1-1, 7.50 in three starts this year (over 2-1).

Liriano is 1-1, 5.19 in his last three starts; five of his six Toronto starts stayed under.

New York lost six of last eight games, is 11-14 in road series openers. Over is 5-2 in their last seven games. Blue Jays lost four of last six home games, is 8-3 in last 11 home series openers. Under is 7-1-2 in Jays’ last ten games.

Rays @ Red Sox
Pomeranz is 0-3, 6.00 in his last five starts; his last seven starts stayed under. Boston is 3-3 in his road starts.

Archer is 0-1, 3.66 in his last three starts; over is 9-3-1 in his last 13 road starts. Rays are 5-11 in his road starts.

Tampa Bay lost three of last four games, is 3-14 in last 17 road series openers. Under is 6-1-2 in their last nine home games. Boston won its last eight games, is 16-9 in home series openers. Last five Boston games stayed under the total.

Royals @ Tigers
Duffy is 1-1, 5.81 in his last five starts (over 5-0). Royals are 6-4 in his road starts.

Fulmer is 0-4, 6.28 in his last five starts; under is 7-2 in his last nine. Detroit is 6-2 in his home starts.

Royals are 5-10 in last 15 games, 10-15 in road series openers. KC’s last four road games stayed under the total. Detroit won its last four games, is 11-1 in last 12 home series openers. Under is 15-5-2 in Tigers’ last 22 home games.

White Sox @ Indians
Gonzalez is 2-1, 2.57 in his last four starts (under 3-1). Chicago is 5-7 in his road starts.

Bauer is 0-2, 9.82 in his last two starts; his last four went over. Cleveland won five of his last six home starts.

White Sox lost their last five games, are 4-14 in last 18 road series openers. Over is 9-1 in their last ten road games. Cleveland won seven of last eight home games; they’re 18-8 in home series openers. Four of Indians’ last five games stayed under.

Angels @ Astros
Meyer is 1-2, 8.03 in three starts this year (under 3-0).

Fister is 0-4, 12.00 in his last five starts; over is 6-2 in his last eight. Astros lost six of his last seven home starts.

Angels lost four of last six road games; under is 9-0-1 in Halos’ last ten games. Astros won six of last eight games; under is 9-4 in their last 13 games.

Mariners @ Twins
Paxton is 0-2, 5.60 in his last five starts; three of his last four road starts went over. Mariners are 3-5 in his road starts.

Gibson is 1-3, 5.66 in his last six starts; over is 8-1-1 in his last 10 starts. Twins are 5-7 in his home starts.

Mariners are 8-4 in last 12 games, 6-0 in last six on road; they’re 6-10 in last 16 road series openers. Minnesota lost its last six games, is 9-17 in home series openers. Four of their last five games stayed under.

Rangers @ A’s
Hamels is 0-1 10.50 in his last four starts; over is 5-0-1 in his last six. Texas is 10-5 in his road starts.

Graveman is 0-2, 5.70 in his last four starts; under is 8-3 in his last 11 starts. Oakland is 7-2 in his last nine starts.

Rangers are 7-5 in last 12 games, 12-13 in road series openers. Under is 7-3 in their last ten games. Oakland lost its last six home games, is 2-7 in last nine home series openers. Six of last eight Oakland home games stayed under.

Interleague

Diamondbacks @ Orioles
Miller is 0-6, 8.36 in his last seven starts; three of his last four stayed under. Three of his last four road starts stayed under.

Gallardo is 1-4, 9.13 in his last five starts; three of his last four went over. Baltimore lost his last four home starts.

Arizona lost five of last six road games, is 5-12 in last 17 road series openers. Four of last fie Arizona road games stayed under. Orioles lost last four games, are 14-11 in road series openers. Under is 15-1-1 in last 17 games at Camden Yards.

Teams’ record when this pitcher starts:

StL-Chi– Leake 13-15; Arrieta 19-10
Wsh-Pitt– Gonzalez 14-16; Taillon 11-5
Atl-Mia– Wisler 8-16; Cashner 3-6/7-9
Phil-NY– Hellickson 17-13; Ynoa 1-0
Cin-Mil– DeSclafani 10-8; Davies 14-13
Colo-LA– Gray 12-15; Kazmir 14-11
SF-SD– Suarez 3-8; Jackson 5-6

NY-Tor– Mitchell 1-2; Liriano 3-3/9-12
Bos-TB– Pomeranz 5-7/9-8; Archer 9-22
KC-Det– Duffy 17-7; Fulmer 17-7
Chi-Clev– Gonzalez 10-11; Bauer 14-12
LA-Hst– Meyer 1-2; Fister 16-14 (0-5 last 5)
Sea-Min– Paxton 5-13; Gibson 11-12
Tex-A’s– Hamels 22-8; Graveman 14-15

Az-Balt– Miller 5-13; Gallardo 10-11

# of time pitcher allows 1+ runs in first inning:

StL-Chi– Leake 9-28; Arrieta 4-29
Wsh-Pitt– Gonzalez 8-30; Taillon 6-16
Atl-Mia– Wisler 10-24; Cashner 10-25
Phil-NY– Hellickson 9-30; Ynoa 0-1
Cin-Mil– DeSclafani 10-18; Davies 8-27
Colo-LA– Gray 10-27; Kazmir 13-25
SF-SD– Suarez 3-11; Jackson 2-11

NY-Tor– Mitchell 1-3; Liriano 7-27
Bos-TB– Pomeranz 5-29; Archer 12-31
KC-Det– Duffy 6-24; Fulmer 6-24
Chi-Clev– Gonzalez 7-21; Bauer 9-26
LA-Hst– Meyer 1-3; Fister 5-30
Sea-Min– Paxton 5-18; Gibson 13-23
Tex-A’s– Hamels 6-30; Graveman 5-29

Az-Balt– Miller 8-18; Gallardo 10-21

Teams’ records in first five innings:

Team (road-home-total)- thru 9/22

Arizona 24-38-11…..34-39-6…….58-76
Atlanta 29-38-11…..26-35-13……55-73
Cubs 39-25-10……46-23-10…….85-48
Reds 21-44-9……35-38-5…….56-82
Colo 28-34-13…..36-36-4……..64-70
LA 31-33-11……47-24-8…….77-57
Miami 32-34-10…..32-27-17…….64-61
Milw 25-42-10……41-26-10…..66-68
Mets 32-44-10……37-28-12……69-62
Philly 24-32-19…..30-34-14……54-64
Pitt 25-41-13…..42-26-6……67-66
St. Louis 36-35-7……28-33-13…….64-68
SD 24-50-5…..34-34-7……..58-84
SF 35-36-8…….38-22-14……73-58
Wash 39-24-15….30-22-22……69-46

Orioles 30-37-9…….38-33-8…….68-70
Boston 33-31-11……45-23-9…….78-54
White Sox 31-36-10…….39-31-6……..70-67
Cleveland 38-27-10……38-30-8……..76-57
Detroit 32-33-12…….31-36-5……..63-69
Astros 30-35-14…..34-30-8……..64-65
KC 28-38-13……32-28-14……60-66
Angels 32-39-7…….27-35-13…….59-74
Twins 29-37-13…….25-39-15…..54-76
NYY 27-41-8……34-31-13……..61-72
A’s 27-40-8……27-35-16……54-74
Seattle 35-29-11……35-28-13……70-57
Tampa Bay 28-32-13……34-34-12……62-66
Texas 28-39-11…….38-27-9……66-66
Toronto 46-27-5……..40-30-5……86-57

Tokens
Friday’s six-pack

More NFL trends to ponder for this week’s games………

— Oakland covered seven of its last nine road games.

— Green Bay is 7-1-1 in last nine home openers.

— Broncos are 7-16 as a non-divisional road underdog.

— Jets are 6-1-1 vs spread in their last eight games.

— Arizona is 8-3 in its last 11 games as a road favorite.

— San Diego is 7-2 in last nine games as a road underdog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ezwindows
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com