Cnotes Sports Page For Monday June 22nd Best Bets-Trends-News !

Search

Tokens
Pierce expected to decline Wizards option, become free agent

Washington Wizards forward Paul Pierce has decided not to retire, but he is expected to forgo his player option and become a free agent for next season.

According to the Washington Post, Pierce will bypass his $5.54 million player option to play in his 18th season. The decision, which is due by the end of the month, would make Pierce a free agent for the second straight year.

Opting out opens the possibility of Pierce playing elsewhere but does not completely eliminate the prospect of him returning to Washington as he could choose to re-sign, the newspaper reported.

According to the report, Pierce will either return to the Wizards or join the Los Angeles Clippers to be reunited with his Doc Rivers, his coach for nine seasons with the Boston Celtics.

Pierce, a Los Angeles native, won the 2008 NBA title with the Celtics while Rivers was the coach.

ESPN.com also reported that Pierce is playing next season and plans to pass on his player option with the Wizards.

Pierce averaged career lows in points (11.9) and minutes (26.2) this past season with the Wizards. Logging more minutes at power forward, Pierce averaged 14.6 points in 29.8 minutes in 10 playoff games. He shot 52.4 percent from behind the arc during the playoffs.

Following his last game, Pierce said his future was uncertain after his miraculous 3-pointer at the buzzer to force overtime was waved off -- ending the season for the future Hall of Famer.

The Wizards were eliminated by the Atlanta Hawks in a crushing 94-91 loss in Game 6 of their Eastern Conference semifinal playoff series on May 15.

Pierce, a 10-time All-Star, raised his arms and both teams began thinking about overtime. The play was reviewed and showed the clock expired as the basketball was still on Pierce's fingertips before it was released.

After the devastating loss in his last game, Pierce walked off the floor wondering how many more of those moments he has left in him.

"I haven't really thought about it," Pierce said after the loss at home. "I don't even know if I am going to play basketball anymore. These seasons get harder and harder every year, every day. Summers get even harder when you start getting back in shape. I'm 37 years old. I'm top two or three oldest in the league.

"I'm just thankful I was able to have an influence on this group, give something to them hopefully. Whether I'm here next year or I'm not, I've left something here with these young guys that they can carry on the rest of their career -- understanding what it's like to be a pro, understanding what it's going to take to take your game and your career to the next level. Hopefully that's something I've given them, and they understand it and move forward with it."

Tokens
LeBron still feels pain of losing NBA Finals

Jun 21, 2015

LeBron James still feels the pain of losing another NBA Finals -- "I'm bummed about it for sure" -- but the superstar hopes he was an inspiration in his return to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

James addressed Cavaliers fans in a video posted Saturday for Bleacher Report.

"Hopefully I was an inspiration, being back to you guys for this first year," James said in the video. "Hopefully I can continue that in the near future. And I just thank you guys -- I thank the fans, I thank everybody for the support that y'all gave us all year, the support that you gave me by welcoming me back.

"And hopefully I made you guys proud in Year 1. Like I said, I'm not satisfied, I'm not happy with the way things turned out. I'm bummed about it for sure. But hopefully I can put our team in position once again to try to compete for a championship next year and year-in and year-out. That's my goal, and my inspiration hasn't changed. So I appreciate everything. I thank you guys, I love you guys and I'll see y'all soon."

James returned to Northeast Ohio in July 2014, leaving the Miami Heat four years -- and two NBA championships -- after bolting Cleveland in an excruciating public departure aired by ESPN and titled "The Decision."

The Cavaliers lost to the Golden State Warriors 105-97 in Game 6 of the NBA Finals last week and James was "not happy with the way it closed out."

"It hurt to lose, and I'm still in a little funk right now, but I'm trying to work my way out of it," James said. You know, for a team that's first getting together, in our first year to be able to reach the Finals -- not saying I'm happy with the results, but I'm proud of our guys. Just the growth that they had from the first day we walked in the gym to the other day, us losing, I'm proud of the guys and what they was able to accomplish."

Tokens
Four easy starts NFL bettors should keep an eye on in 2015

Momentum can mean everything in sports, even in a week-to-week schedule like the NFL. Getting off on the right foot can boost player confidence and propel a team to a successful season. And stumbling out of the gate can magnify issues and break a team before they have a chance to gel.

Here’s a look at the four easiest starting schedules (first four games) for the 2015 NFL season, and the odds for those games.

EASIEST STARTS

New York Giants

Week 1: at Dallas (+6)
Week 2: vs. Atlanta (-3.5)
Week 3: vs. Washington (-5.5)
Week 4: at Buffalo (+3)

Outside of the opening Sunday night game in Dallas, the Giants have a pretty easy path in the early going. They host the Falcons and Redskins before making the short trip to Buffalo to face a Bills team which could be much-improved or undergoing growing pains with a new coaching staff. The NFC East is a great unknown this year, so a quick start could put the G-Men back in the playoff hunt.

Carolina Panthers

Week 1: at Jacksonville (-4)
Week 2: vs. Houston (-2.5)
Week 3: vs. New Orleans (-2)
Week 4: at Tampa Bay (-2.5)

The Panthers are a playoff team – whether you like it or not – and could have the inside track in the NFC South with this cake walk through the first four weeks. The defense faces a second-year QB in Jacksonville in Week 1, God knows who is under center for Houston in Week 2, Drew Brees sans Jimmy Graham in Week 3, and rookie passer Jameis Winston in Week 4. Fantasy footballer and sports bettors should be alert.

Indianapolis Colts

Week 1: at Buffalo (-2)
Week 2: vs. N.Y. Jets (-7.5)
Week 3: at Tennessee (-5)
Week 4: vs. Jacksonville (-10.5)

The Colts’ first four opponents had a combined record of 18-46 SU last season. Indianapolis’ opening slate is a joke, with the team pegged as an average favorite of 6.25 points. The toughest test is Week 1’s trip to Buffalo to play the revamp Bills but Andrew Luck and & Co. can pretty much put it on cruise control until Week 5 when they go to Houston to play the Texans on Thursday night. Overall, the Colts have the second-weakest schedule in the league with a 0.417 SOS rating.

Tennessee Titans

Week 1: at Tampa Bay (+3)
Week 2: at Cleveland (+4.5)
Week 3: vs. Indianapolis (+10.5)
Week 5: vs. Buffalo (+3)

The NFL schedule makers take it easy on rookie Marcus Mariota and the Titans in 2015. Tennessee has a No. 1-versus-No. 2 draft pick showdown in Tampa in Week 1, then goes to Cleveland in a possible shootout with Johnny Manziel. Reality comes crashing down versus the Colts in Week 3 – but at least the Titans are at home – then they close the quarter mark with a home game against Buffalo in Week 5 following a bye. While Tennessee is an underdog in each of those first four contests, there could be value with the Titans depending on how quick Mariota matures under center.

Tokens
Four tough starts NFL bettors should keep an eye on in 2015

Momentum can mean everything in sports, even in a week-to-week schedule like the NFL. Getting off on the right foot can boost player confidence and propel a team to a successful season. And stumbling out of the gate can magnify issues and break a team before they have a chance to gel.

Here’s a look at the four toughest starting schedules (first four games) for the 2015 NFL season, and the odds for those games.

TOUGHEST STARTS

San Francisco 49ers

Week 1: vs. Minnesota (-3)
Week 2: at Pittsburgh (+4.5)
Week 3: at Arizona (+2.5)
Week 4: vs. Green Bay (+4)

If things weren’t bad enough for the Niners during the offseason, the schedule makers take no pity on San Francisco with this opening slate of games. The 49ers host the Vikings and the return of Adrian Peterson on Monday Night Football in Week 1 before a cross-country hike to Pittsburgh in Week 2. Then they go back West to face divisional rival Arizona before hosting the Packers in Week 4. Early action has already faded San Francisco and lines could move even further by the quarter mark of the campaign.

Kansas City Chiefs

Week 1: at Houston (+1.5)
Week 2: vs. Denver (Pick)
Week 3: at Green Bay (+6.5)
Week 4: at Cincinnati (+3)

The Chiefs could be betting underdogs in each of their first four games this season, with money expected to side with the Broncos for that Thursday Night Football matchup in Week 2. That rivalry game with the Broncos is the only home stop on the schedule for the first four weeks for Kansas City, which finished 3-5 SU and 4-4 ATS away from Arrowhead in 2014. The Chiefs did, however, go 6-2 ATS as an underdogs last year.

Detroit Lions

Week 1: at San Diego (+1.5)
Week 2: at Minnesota (Pick)
Week 3: vs. Denver (Pick)
Week 4 (Monday Night): at Seattle (+7.5)

The Lions are another team playing a road-heavy sked to kick off the season. Detroit opens in San Diego in Week 1 and goes to rival Minnesota the next week. The defense gets a test against Peyton Manning & Co. at home in Week 3 before closing out this nasty stretch with a date against the infamous 12th Man in Seattle. Detroit was just 2-6 ATS on the road last season and is an NFL-worst 18-27-4 ATS away from Motown since 2009.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Week 1: vs. Carolina (+4)
Week 2: vs. Miami (+4)
Week 3: at New England (+11.5)
Week 4: at Indianapolis (+10.5)

If the Jaguars are going to improve in 2015, they’ll have to prove that they’re not the same old crap in the first four weeks. Jacksonville opens against Carolina and Cam Newton in Week 1, then faces Florida rival Miami in Week 2 – both as a home pup. The schedule takes a turn for the worse in Week 3 with a trip to play the defending Super Bowl champs, and then the team the Patriots defeated (cheated?) in the AFC Championship, the Colts in Week 4. Depending on how the first two games go, those massive spreads in Weeks 3 and 4 could climb even higher if the Jags don’t show some fight early on.

Tokens
How college football's Top 10 coaches fare against the betting spread

Part of the job description that comes with being a college football coach – and one that wouldn’t dare show up on an official NCAA contract – is keeping the alumni and program boosters happy.

Sure, some college football fans may be satisfied with regular season wins, rivalry victories, and bowl game titles. But there’s a huge chunk of those “friends of the program” that bet their alma mater week in and week out come the fall. And covering the spread in those games keeps smiles on the faces of those big-money boosters and as puts cash back in their pockets.

Athlon Sports just conducted a poll, ranking all 128 FBS college football coaches, and the names that make up the Top 10 are no big surprise. The win/loss records speak for themselves. However, as mentioned above, it’s not always about just winning and losing. Here’s how the 10 best coaches in college football have done against the spread during their tenure with their current school:

Note: SU and ATS records don’t match up because not all game are given odds.

Nick Saban, Alabama Crimson Tide

Win/loss: 91-17 (84 percent)
ATS: 51-49-1 (51 percent)

Saban can’t be entirely blamed for his ho-hum ATS mark since jumping SEC enemy lines and joining the Crimson Tide in 2007. Alabama is one of the most publicly-bet programs in college football and faces inflated spreads each week. But we’ve seen what happens when you cross the Tide’s boss, like Texas A&M in 2014. Saban didn’t call the dogs off in a 59-0 blowout of the Aggies, covering as 11-point favorites. Alabama finished 5-9 ATS last season.

Urban Meyer, Ohio State Buckeyes

Win/loss: 38-3 (93 percent)
ATS: 23-17-1 (57.5 percent)

Meyer gave Buckeyes bettors a dream season in 2014, not only leading Ohio State to the first ever college football playoff title but posting a profitable 10-5 ATS mark. Meyer has also won his three meetings with “that school from up north”. But his biggest blemish, at least in the eyes of OSU backers, is that he’s failed to cover in the last two of those meetings with Michigan. Things should get interesting this year, with Jim Harbaugh taking over in Ann Arbor.

Art Briles, Baylor Bears

Win/loss: 55-34 (62 percent)
ATS: 50-33-1 (60 percent)

Briles may not have the winning clip like the two coaches ahead of him on this list, but he sure knows how to cover the spread. Blindly betting BU under Briles’ care would have made college football bettor very happy, especially over the past four season in which the Bears are 31-17-1 ATS. Those profits should help Baylor fans feel a little bit better after getting pooched by the college football playoff this past season.

Jim Harbaugh, Michigan Wolverines

Win/loss: N/A
ATS: Stanford (2007-10) 26-21-1 (55 percent)

Harbaugh returns to the college ranks, where he earned his job with the 49ers after taking Stanford to the top of the Pac-12 ladder. NFL bettors may be a bit put off by what went down in San Francisco last season, including a 6-9-1 ATS record in 2014. He finished above .500 against the spread in all but one of his seasons with the Cardinal (his first in 2007) and his brand of coaching – which didn’t fly with the pros on Sunday – should go over just fine with the kids at Michigan.

Bill Snyder, Kansas State Wildcats

Win/loss: 187-94-1 (66.5 percent)
ATS: 47-24 (66 percent)

We aren’t going back in time 23 years for Snyder’s ATS results, rather sticking to his current tenure in the “Little Apple”. Snyder returned to KSU in 2009 after a three-year hiatus and immediately made Wildcats backers happy with a 7-4 ATS mark that first season back on the sidelines. He hasn’t disappointed bettors since, with his worst ATS record coming in a 6-6 ATS year in 2010. Snyder is 34-15-1 ATS over the last four years, covering at a 69 percent rate in that span.

Mark Dantonio, Michigan State Spartans

Win/loss: 75-31 (71 percent)
ATS: 55-42-2 (57 percent)

If you’ve ever seen an interview with Dantonio, you know he couldn’t give two craps about covering the spread. And it shows. Michigan State, however, has seen an uptick in ATS success the last two years, going 9-4-1 ATS in 2013 and 9-4 ATS last season. Playing in the shadows of Ohio State, Wisconsin, and even still Michigan, helps temper the Spartans’ spreads. The Green and White have also been dominant in bowl games, covering in four straight postseason matchups.

Gary Patterson, TCU Horned Frogs

Win/loss: 132-45 (74.5 percent)
ATS: 94-76-1 (55 percent)

Patterson is the second longest consecutive tenured coach on the Top 10 list, taking the big job at Texas Christian way back in 2000. He’s coming off his most profitable season, finishing 11-2 ATS in 2014 for the best record against the spread in the country. Things haven’t always been so lucrative for the Horny Toads, and with plenty of hype surrounding TCU and the return of QB and Heisman hopeful Trevone Boykin in 2015, the Frogs could face some steep spreads this coming season.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma Sooners

Win/loss: 168-44 (76 percent)
ATS: 105-85-4 (55 percent)

There are some who would say Stoops’ seat in Norman is getting a little hot and some who believe the longest-tenured coach on this list is ready to jump to the pros. Both of those groups pushing for Stoops’ departure could be betting on OU, which has just covered enough game to keep Sooners backers in the black during his 16 years with the clipboard. Oklahoma finished with a 5-8 ATS record last year – 2-5 ATS at home - and has finished above .500 ATS just twice in the last six seasons. Could another bad betting season be the last straw for Sooner boosters?

Gus Malzahn, Auburn Tigers

Win/loss: 20-7 (74 percent)
ATS: 16-11 (59 percent)

That unbelievable win over Alabama in the 2013 Iron Bowl has given Malzahn a long leash when it comes to job security, success ATS or no success ATS. Auburn followed that fantastic 2013 (12-2 ATS) with a dismal 4-9 ATS record last year. The Tigers covered just once on the road last season, getting outscored by an average of 34.3 to 26.7 in those five games. Auburn failed to cover in its final five games, including an overtime loss to Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl.

Jimbo Fisher, Florida State Seminoles

Win/loss: 58-11 (84 percent)
ATS: 30-35 ATS (46 percent)

Following in Bobby Bowen’s footsteps wasn’t going to be easy for Fisher, then came along Jameis Winston and a national championship in 2013. The Noles finished 11-3 ATS during that magical season, but are a combined 19-32 ATS in Fisher’s other four seasons in Tallahassee. Last season, Florida State did just enough to win 13 games and earn a spot in the playoffs – finishing 3-11 ATS – before getting humiliated by Oregon in the semifinals. The head coach enters 2015 with a lot going on, on and off the field. He welcomes former Notre Dame QB Everett Golson but bids farewell to his wife Candi, with the couple separating.[/B]

Tokens
Four LSU players suspended after arrests

Four LSU players were suspended by coach Les Miles after arrests in the past two days in Baton Rouge, La.

Starting quarterback Anthony Jennings and defensive lineman Maquedius Bain were arrested for felony unauthorized entry of a dwelling and defensive back Dwayne Thomas were arrested on the same charge and also for misdemeanor simple burglary. All three were booked at the East Baton Rouge (La.) Parish Prison.

Their arrests come two days after defensive lineman Trey Lealaimatafao was arrested for allegedly striking a woman.

Lealaimatafao, a redshirt freshman, was suspended from the team indefinitely after he was charged with misdemeanor attempted simple battery and attempted simple robbery.

Miles issued a statement on Thursday night saying Jennings, Bain and Thomas were also suspended.

Jennings, a junior, has started at quarterback since 2013. Last season, Jennings passed for 1,611 yards and 11 touchdowns with seven interceptions.

"It has been our policy to suspend players who have been involved in legal issues," Miles said. "I have met with all three players extensively. We are still working with campus housing and the authorities to determine what exactly took place. This is an ongoing investigation and our players will cooperate fully."

Lealaimatafao was arrested Tuesday after he allegedly shoved and punched a woman in the face outside a campus bar. The Baton Route police report indicated that Lealaimatafao was allegedly taking money from the pants of an unconscious person on the ground in the parking lot when his girlfriend yelled at him to stop.

"When she approached him, he pushed her away," the Baton Rouge Police report stated. "She continued to scream at him to stop, and he hit her in the face with a closed fist, causing her to fall to the ground."

Tokens
Why these five betting favorites won't win college football's national title

When the SEC’s seven-year college football championship run came to a conclusion in January of 2013, thanks to the breakout campaign of Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, few would have wagered that the sport’s ultimate alliance would be completely devoid of representation in the inaugural college football playoff title game. But sure enough, Urban Meyer’s Buckeyes and Marcus Mariota’s Ducks made all the right moves in shutting the SEC out for a second consecutive season.

As we approach the start of the 2015 college football season, an interesting development to keep in mind appears to be the return of parody to the sport’s landscape, as the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook is currently featuring four different Power 5 conferences within the top five positions on its odds board.

But while all of these teams have a solid argument as to why they’ll contend in a serious way come next January, each has its noticeable flaws as well.

Ohio State Buckeyes (Open: 9/2, Current: 7/2)

The reigning champs enjoyed one hell of a roller-coaster ride last season after opening at 12/1 to win the national title, which was immediately followed by a drastic plummet to 40/1 in the wake of the season-ending September shoulder injury suffered by quarterback Braxton Miller. But head coach Urban Meyer steadied the ship, took advantage of a soft schedule and rode backup signal-callers J.T. Barrett and Cardale Jones to January glory.

All three gun-slingers are back in Columbus this spring, but will the intense three-way competition for the top job lead to increased preparation and work ethic or animosity amongst three guys looking to take their respective talents to the professional ranks?

Ohio State opens the 2015 campaign in a revenge spot against Virginia Tech and has the good fortune of hosting both James Franklin’s up-and-coming Nittany Lions as well as Mark Dantonio’s Spartans, but a November 28 trip to the Big House looms large. Yes, the Wolverines lack the firepower that the Ohio State roster boasts, but head coach Jim Harbaugh is renowned for his ability to get the most out of his assets.

With just seven total starters and running backs coach Stay Drayton no longer with the program, the Buckeyes are still set up nicely to make another run at college football’s ultimate prize.

Alabama Crimson Tide (Open: 8/1, Current: 6/1)

The common refrain emanating from Tuscaloosa every year at this time is that the Crimson Tide don’t rebuild, they reload. Granted, no head coach in college football has had more success or sent more first-round draft picks over the last five years to the pros than Nick Saban.

But even Alabama’s patron saint will have his hands full in 2015 with just nine starters back from last season’s college football playoff squad, only two of which play on the offensive side of the ball.

Further compounding the problem is the sheer brutality of life in the SEC, which will feature road dates at Georgia, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Auburn - not to mention a season-opener in Dallas against Wisconsin and potential showdown in college football’s toughest conference championship game.

Saban has proven time and time again that he’s got the chops to run the gauntlet, but the Tide will face a myriad of potential pitfalls in 2015.

TCU Horned Frogs (Open: 7/1, Current: 8/1)

One of college football’s most underrated coaches, TCU boss Gary Patterson turned a 4-8 bummer of a season in 2013 into a 12-1 behemoth last year that many felt deserved a place in the four-team playoff.

Not only will the Horned Frogs play the “Us against the world” card this fall, but they’ll do so with a staggering 10 starters back on offense, including the 2014 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year in quarterback Trevone Boykin. That’s the good news.

The downside here is that the Big 12 is still the only Power 5 conference without a conference championship showdown, which was the integral factor in the committee’s decision to opt for Ohio State over the Horned Frogs last December. So, TCU will essentially need to turn in an unblemished schedule if the program wants a seat at the head table come winter.

And keep in mind that’s a schedule featuring potential stumbling blocks in road trips to Kansas State and Oklahoma before the season finale at home against high-flying Baylor.

Baylor Bears (Open: 12/1, Current: 15/1)

Art Briles has done a remarkable job of upgrading Baylor from the outhouse to the floor just below the penthouse in only seven seasons, but there always seems to be one key piece missing in Baylor’s unlikely quest for a national championship (Breaking news: It’s the defense).

Despite the return of 17 starters from last year’s 11-2 squad, one notable absence this time around comes in the form of 8,000-yard passer Bryce Petty, who departed for the NFL in April’s draft.

The Bears will face all the same obstacles mentioned above in our TCU breakdown (lack of a conference championship game, etc.), but with the added caveat being that this team isn’t as good as TCU. That will be officially recognized in the mother of all revenge games on Friday, November 27, when the Horned Frogs go for payback after blowing a 21-point fourth-quarter lead in Waco last October.

USC Trojans (Open: 12/1, Current: 15/1)

Steve Sarkisian’s first year on the job in Los Angeles saw the Trojans post a 9-4 mark that featured a 45-42 Holiday Bowl victory over Nebraska in addition to the monumental leap forward taken by quarterback Cody Kessler, who threw for 3,826 yards and 39 scores with only five interceptions.

And, given the fact that Marcus Mariota is no longer running the show up north in Oregon, the Trojans’ path to the playoff appears a bit less obstructed. But you need to be able to produce some semblance of quality tackling in the pass-first Pac-12 conference, which should prove to be a challenge for the Men of Troy given that three of the program’s top four tacklers and two best pass rushers are no longer on the roster.

Additionally, note potential road trip pitfalls that take place on October 17 at Notre Dame, October 31 at high-flying California and November 21 at always-daunting Oregon.

Tokens
TCU's Boykin the fave to win 2015-16 Heisman Trophy

It's never too early to place futures bets, and if you're looking to cash in on the top player in college football for the 2015-16 season, one online book has you covered.

5Dimes released its Heisman Trophy odds for the campaign with a TCU Horned Frog topping the board. The list is as follows:

Trevone Boykin (TCU) +750
Ezekiel Elliot (OSU) +800
Dak Prescott (Mississippi State) +850
Nick Chubb (Georgia) +1,100

Tokens
Capping the 2015 Heisman Trophy candidates

The Heisman Trophy is the most prestigious individual award in college football and it seems like we start talking about it earlier every year. Some early odds have already been released so let's take a look at one favorite, a couple of value picks and then a longshot, courtesy of online sportsbook The Greek.com.

Favorite: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State (+500)

Elliott came on strong at the end of the season and won the offensive MVP in the National Championship Game. Elliott was a terror in the last three games of the year as he scored a total of eight rushing TDs and averaged 232 rushing yards per game. Ohio State has four starters returning on the offensive line so that means Elliott will likely pick up where he left off. A negative to picking Elliott is the starpower that Ohio State has at QB. Any of the three QBs they have could have a strong enough year to win the Heisman and/or the story of the QB position could take the spotlight away from Elliott.

Value Pick: Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia (+1000)

Chubb started out the 2014 season as Georgia's fourth-string running back and finished second in the SEC in rushing. After playing sparingly in the first five games and averaging 44.8 yards per game, Chubb got his chance against Missouri and from that point on he averaged 165 rushing yards per game over the last eight games. Georgia returns four offensive linemen and their new offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer, will likely lean heavily on the run as the Dawgs must replace their starting QB Hutson Mason.

Value Pick: Jeremy Johnson, QB, Auburn (+2000)

The Tigers had an off year at 8-5 so some are underestimating them but there should be no offensive drop-off when the Tigers replace Nick Marshall with Jeremy Johnson. In 2013, Johnson saw action in five games and completed 70 percent of his passes and had six TD to two INT. Last season, Johnson's stats were even better as he completed over 75 percent of his passes and had three TD vs zero INT. Johnson will also have a huge weapon in D'haquille Williams. Williams showed flashes of being a superstar in 2014 and with Johnson running the offense he should get more opportunities in 2015.

Longshot: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson (+3000)

A quarterback has won the last five Heisman Trophies. When I look around college football there is no one that impressed me as much as Watson did last year at Clemson as a true freshman. Watson didn't have the benefit of being an early enrollee but despite that he got playing time in their opener against Georgia and outplayed his veteran competition in that game. Watson finished the season completing 67.9 percent of his passes and had a sparkling TD to INT ratio of 14:2. He was also able to get it done on the ground as he led Clemson with five rushing TDs. The only thing that held Watson back was injuries. With Jameis Winston going to the NFL, it could be Clemson's chance to dethrone them and if so Watson's star will shine bright if he can stay healthy.

Tokens
Alabama, Florida State finalizing deal for 2017 game

Alabama and Florida State, winners of four of the last six national championships combined, reportedly have agreed to open the 2017 season in Atlanta.

FSU athletic director Stan Wilcox told a group of Seminoles boosters at a board of directors meeting in Charleston, S.C., on Friday that the game is set, according to the Palm Beach Post. A source confirmed the report to ESPN.

The newspaper reported that although a contract has not been signed, an agreement was in place that would match Alabama coach Nick Saban against Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher. The game is expected to be played in the new stadium that will serve as the home of the Atlanta Falcons, which is scheduled to open in 2017.

The Palm Beach Post reported the schools will earn a payday between $4 million and $5 million from the game. The contracts are expected to be signed soon at which time an official announcement will be made.

In November, the newspaper was first to report discussions were underway by the two schools to meet on the neutral field.

The Crimson Tide captured national titles following the 2009, 2011, 2012 seasons and the Seminoles won the championship in 2013.

This past season, Alabama and Florida State were participants in the first-ever College Football Playoff. The Seminoles lost to Oregon and the Crimson Tide lost to eventual national champion Ohio State.

The programs have met four times, most recently in 2007 in Jacksonville, Fla., when Florida State won 21-14 for its only victory in the series. The other three games were played in Tuscaloosa, Ala., where Alabama won in 1965 and 1974, and the teams tied in 1967.

Fisher coached under Saban for five seasons (2000-2004) at LSU as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Tokens
CFL season betting preview: How to bet the East Division

The 2015 season will begin on Thursday night, with the Montreal Alouettes hosting the Ottawa Redblacks. We didn't see a single team in the East Division finish with a winning record last year, and the bookmakers are expecting the West to be superior again this season. According to the Grey Cup odds, Hamilton is the front runner in a jam-packed East.

Here's a look at how the teams in the East Division stack up entering the new campaign.

EAST DIVISION

Hamilton Tigers-Cats (2014: 9-9 SU, 9-9 ATS)

Odds to win Grey Cup: +660

Why bet the Tiger-Cats: Hamilton lost to Calgary in the Grey Cup last year, and finished first in the division during the regular season despite a .500 record. The Ti-Cats appear to be in good hands with a young quarterback in Zack Collaros, who comes off an outstanding rookie campaign. The 26 year old showed steady improvement throughout his first season as a starter, and his coach is expecting him to be even better in 2015. “He’s got some Doug Flutie in him,” said head coach Kent Austin, comparing him to one of the greatest quarterbacks the league has ever seen.

Why not to bet the Tiger-Cats: They were terrible on the road last year, winning just two of their nine games away from Tim Hortons Field. They might struggle to improve on that record with a young defense in 2015, and they'll have a tough time replacing Delvin Breaux, who left for the NFL. C.J. Gable, Nic Grigsby and Mossis Madu gave them depth in the backfield last year, but nobody stepped up as a true No. 1 running back.

Grey Cup Outlook: Good as long as Collaros can stay healthy.

Montreal Alouettes (2014: 9-9 SU, 9-9 ATS)

Odds to win the Grey Cup: +820

Why bet the Alouettes: Montreal finished last season winning eight of its last 10 games, and won its first playoff game in a 50-17 rout of the B.C. Lions. The Als are deep at running back with Brandon Whitaker, Brandon Rutley, Rainey and Logan, and they signed receivers Fred Stamps, Nik Lewis and Sam Giguere. The defense remains a strength, with Chip Cox and John Bowman both resigning.

Why not to bet the Alouettes: Jonathan Crompton took the team to the playoffs in 2014, but GM Jim Popp isn't convinced he has what it takes to be the starting quarterback. “Crompton won the job last year. The bottom line is can we win with him?” said Popp. Rakeem Cato led the Als in passing in their first preseason game, a 26-9 win over Ottawa. Brandon Bridge threw for 52 yards and a TD, while Crompton was just 2-of-6 for 17 yards. Who will start on opening night is anybody's guess.

Grey Cup Outlook: Fair. If they can find themselves a capable quarterback, they should be as good as anybody in the East.

Toronto Argonauts (2014: 8-10 SU, 7-11 ATS)

Odds to win the Grey Cup: +950

Why bet the Argos: While the Argos will begin the season with Trevor Harris filling in for Ricky Ray at quarterback, he'll have a stout offensive line protecting him. He's looked capable so far in the preseason. The receiving corps looks strong with Chad Owens and Andre Durie returning and a handful of veterans all competing for a roster spot. Rookie Tori Gurley impressed with seven catches for 188 yards and a TD in his first appearance of the preseason.

Why not to bet the Argos: Toronto hopes to make improvements on the defensive side of the ball, but it has a long way to go as its secondary allowed the most touchdowns in the CFL last season. The Argos’ success will likely depend on how Ricky Ray recovers from offseason shoulder surgery, and we saw last season how Travis Lulay struggled for B.C. coming off the same injury. Top it all off with a nightmare of a schedule to start the season, and the Argos have plenty to overcome.

Grey Cup Outlook: Poor. There are too many question marks surrounding this team, and if Ray has any setbacks returning from injury, the season will likely be a disaster.

Ottawa Redblacks (2014: 2-16 SU, 7-11 ATS)

Odds to win the Grey Cup: +3550

Why bet on the Redblacks: Ottawa added a lot of star power on offense heading into this season, with Maurice Price, Ernest Jackson and Greg Ellingson coming into to bolster the receiving corps. Ellingson has established chemistry with veteran quarterback Henry Burris from their time together in Hamilton. Chris Williams returns after spending the last two seasons in the NFL, and he'll give them a boost on offense as well as special teams.

Why not to bet on the Redblacks: While improvement appears inevitable for Ottawa, its got a long way to go after winning just two games all of last season. The prognosis on the defensive side of the ball is a lot less positive than it is on offense, and there’s a lot riding on the 40-year-old arm of Burris.

Grey Cup Outlook: Poor. This team should be vastly improved but they've still got a long way to go before they can expect to complete with the best teams in the league.

Tokens
Book releases CFL Week 1 opening lines

Looking for a place to wager on the Canadian Football League? TheGreek.com opened their Week 1 CFL lines on Sunday.

Here's a look at what the shop is dealing for the first week of the regular season:

Montreal (-7.5) vs. Ottawa. Over/Under: 46.

Saskatchewan (-7) vs. Winnipeg. Over/Under: 49.

Calgary (-6.5) vs. Hamilton. Over/Under: 52.

Edmonton (-5) vs. Toronto. Over/Under: 50.

Tokens
Armadillo: Monday's six-pack

Top six QBs in passing yardage in NFL history.......

6) John Elway 51,475-- Now he's a pretty good team executive.

5) Tom Brady 53,258-- Think he'll watch DirecTV the first four weeks?

4) Drew Brees 56,033-- Saints are expected to run ball more this year.

3) Dan Marino 61,361-- Only guy on this list who never won a Super Bowl

2) Peyton Manning 69,691-- Brother Eli is number 15 in passing yards.

1) Brett Favre 71,838-- Is an offensive coordinator at a Mississippi high school.

Armadillo: Monday's List of 13: Wrapping up a sports weekend......

13) Difference between first and second place at the US Open was $720,000; thats how much Dustin Johnson's 3-putt on 18th green cost him Sunday night in Tacoma. Dramatic ending to an interesting week of golf.

12) Johnson didn't seem all that upset after the dramatic finish; he made $1M+ for the week, he's engaged to Paulina Gretzky, his life is pretty damn good, he just didn't get the championship trophy. He'll win a major eventually.

11) Louis Oosthuizen shot 29 on the back side Sunday, damn near snuck into a playoff today; he shot 77 Thursday, has to be kicking himself for that.

10) Tom Brady got paid $170K for a speech at Salem State last month; he donated all that money to charity. Not sure why they paid him $170K, but they did.

9) It is June 22 and Albert Pujols already has ten homers this month; teams had been walking Mike Trout intentionally in key spots to pitch to Pujols, which at the time we said was stupid and I'm sticking with that. Pujols can still crush the ball.

8) I'm grocery shopping this weekend and noticed Steph Curry on a Wheaties box; didn't know they still did that. Wheaties are horrible, but it is cool that guys like Curry gets recognized for their excellence.

7) If you're a blood donor in Sweden, they text you when the blood you donated gets used by another person. Must make people feel good.

6) Opening Day baseball rosters this year, there were 83 players from the Dominican Republic, 65 from Venezuela, 18 from Cuba.

5) Florida State hired former SE Missouri State hoop coach Dickey Nutt as its video coordinator/dirctor of ops. Nutt is way over-qualified for the post and he cannot go off-campus to recruit, but he'll be a big help to old friend Leonard Hamilton's program.

4) Rough weekend in Washington for the Pirates, who came into the nation's capital on an 8-game win streak- they got outscored 19-3 in a three-game sweep, and got no-hit by Max Scherzer Saturday.

3) Mets didn't fare any better in Atlanta; they're 3-16 in last 19 road games, 56-103 at Turner Field. At 36-35, they're a pretty big disappointment. Matt Harvey is very good, but they're still just 3-6 in his last nine starts.

2) Orioles 13, Blue Jays 9-- Game was 7-6 in second inning. Then there are the White Sox, who scored 11 runs in their last seven games. Not good.

1) Vanderbilt-Virginia start best-of-3 College World Series tonight in Omaha.

Tokens
U.S. Open Recap

June 22, 2015

"I just can't believe I did that…I am such an idiot."

Oops, right major, wrong person.

I literally don’t even know where to begin after what I just watched. That was one of the most unbelievable and strangest endings to any golf tournament I have ever witnessed. Not just the 18th hole, but basically the entire final round from start to finish. Don’t get me wrong, there have definitely been more historic Sunday’s in major Championships (Jack in ’86 among them) and more infamous endings as well (Jean Van de Velde), but what played out Sunday afternoon on that goat ranch in the Pacific Northwest will not soon be forgotten.

Look, I’m as big a Jordan Spieth fan as you will find (admittedly) and had him at 9/1 to win as well, but I absolutely felt sick to my stomach for DJ watching his second putt slide by. That’s just wrong on so many levels.

All joking aside, I really hope someone takes DJ’s cash and credit cards and gets him a handler like Josh Hamilton had. Otherwise, his face might end up in a mountain full of powder that would make Tony Montoya jealous. I'm literally worried for his safety at this point.

DJ has lost a US Open with a big number at Pebble Beach early in the round…ok, it happens. He lost a chance at the PGA because of the dumbest bunker setup ever…that sucked but wasn’t really his fault. He lost a chance at the British Open with a 2-iron OB in the middle of the round…that’s just golf.

But after what happened to him on Sunday he may never recover, and I wouldn’t blame him. He didn’t “just” three putt from 12 feet to lose the US Open by a shot, the guy should have won that tournament by 6 shots…minimum. He absolutely played better than anyone in the field this week from tee to green (and it wasn’t even close) and had countless chances to put that tournament away early on Sunday. The three putt on the 72nd hole was just icing on the cake. I’m just not sure you ever get over a loss like that.

The big story after the round was that DJ didn’t attend the award ceremony on the 18th green as the runner-up typically does. Personally, I don’t blame him.

“Hey DJ, you just blew the US Open 4 minutes ago, can you come sit on the 18th green and smile for the cameras?” Cut the guy some slack. That tradition is stupid anyway.

As for the guy that won…my man Jordan Spieth! Sure, DJ may have lost the US Open more so than Spieth won it, but he put himself in that position when no one else did. Last I checked, Jack was handed a few of his 18 majors as well.

The number of records Spieth has set or tied already at his age is just silly and naming them all would take me all night to list. Bottom line, Spieth is half way to the 2015 Grand Slam after the first two majors of the year and my man crush is officially through the roof. I’m pretty sure you will hear the phrase #SpiethSlam about 5,000,000 times between now and St Andrews. I want to get that trending now!

I said last week I wasn’t as confident Spieth would win at Chambers Bay as I was at Augusta in April, but I would definitely put a little scratch on him just in case (as well as a Top 5 and Top 10 bet). The guy is a frickin’ ATM machine right now. If you haven’t been cashing in on him, well, that’s on you.

Regarding my pick to win IF Spieth didn’t win…Rickie Fowler… I of course give both Rickie and myself a huge F for that call. In fact, if there is a grade worse than that, I will take it. Wow.

Fowler’s round was so bad Thursday that he was the butt of Tiger’s post round joke, “But the bright side is at least I kicked Rickie’s butt today.” You know you had a bad day when a guy that shot 80 is making fun of your round.

As for Tiger, there is bottom, there is rock bottom and then there is 350 yards of crap below that; which is where you will find him these days. It’s becoming extremely painful to watch (or joyful for some I’m sure). Before this year, Tiger had played 1,241 rounds on the PGA Tour and had exactly one round in the 80s (and that was in conditions that even the Bishop from Caddyshack wouldn’t have played in). This year…he played 3 out of his first 15 rounds (20%) in the 80s. Basically the dude has gone from the greatest golfer on the planet to a 10 handicap. It’s truly amazing…I don’t even know what else to say at this point.

As for the guy that tied DJ for second (and actually showed up to the award ceremony). The fact that Louis Oosthuizen shot an opening round 77 and missed a playoff by one shot may be the most overlooked thing that happened all week. Not to mention the guy missed at least 15 putts inside of 10 feet…just that I saw. He is the defending champion [at St Andrews] next month and if he hits it like he did over the weekend at Chambers Bay he may run away with that thing. Again, that is a big IF.

Speaking of St Andrews…Rory certainly made things interesting on Sunday. After his weekend at Augusta and the way he closed at the US Open, if the guy can actually get off to a decent start at the British Open he could run away with that tournament as well.

Just checked….yep, Brandon Grace’s tee shot on 16 is still out of bounds. Man I missed having Johnny in the booth when he hit that shot.

Jason Day left the US Open in a neck brace (literally). I’m not a doctor but that’s probably not good.

Bubba Watson…Yep, still a huge douchebag.

On the other hand, I never thought I would say this but Ian Poulter’s “rant” following his round Sunday was not only well thought out and well-articulated, I actually agree with him. I knew something was coming from him after this tournament but I never imagined this. Rant

I knew FOX was going to be bad, but WOW, I had no idea just how bad they were going to be. That was the worst coverage of any sporting event I have ever seen. Ever. To name all the ways FOX dropped the ball this week up would take me longer than listing all of the records Jordan Spieth has already set. However a few of their commentary “highlights”…after the round Sunday Curt Menefee said that Spieth "doesn't do anything great." You mean other than winning back-to-back majors Curt? That is literally the stupidest statement ever made on live television. A distant second was Greg Norman saying “fellow Australian Brandon Grace,” well, except that Brandon Grace is from South Africa? South Africa/Australia…yeah, basically the same place.

The “talent” aside, which was unbearable, they failed at basically every single aspect of covering a golf tournament. The sporadic TV coverage of actual play was almost impossible to keep up with Thursday and Friday and even at times during the closing stretch on Sunday. It certainly made me appreciate CBS and NBC a hell of a lot more this weekend, that’s for sure.

However, to no one’s surprise, the biggest loser this week (outside of DJ) was Mike Davis and the USGA. They got absolutely bailed out by the finish on Sunday. There is no other way to put it. Yes, the leaderboard was fantastic, and yes the rating will be through the roof because of it (and the west coast finish) but that was all in spite of Mike Davis and the USGA, not because of. Up until the finish on Sunday the deafening narrative was about the course itself and not the players.

Let’s just forget about the fact for a minute that the set up was stupid and balls were banging off hills and slopes and banks as if they were in a pinball machine. The greens were an absolute joke. Anyone that has ever watched one minute of US Open coverage can tell you that the greens and the overall difficulty of the course will only become more problematic on the weekend when the sun comes out and the tournament starts, yet the USGA let that course turn into a goat ranch.

Hell, even the guy that won it thought the USGA did a horrible job. On Friday Spieth said that the 18th hole was "the dumbest hole I've ever played in my life," and he didn't apologize after the round, either. "If microphones are going to pick it up, they're going to pick it up. I'm not going to put a smile on and be happy.” When ask about the course and the greens Sunday by Joe Buck in his post-round interview Spieth literally changed the subject entirely and refused to comment. It was THAT bad.

Yet, despite the obvious eff up by the USGA, Mike Davis still insisted that the color of the greens were “tricking the viewer’s eyes” and “there really quite good.”

Ummm, ok Mike. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

There are countless quotes and comments from players on it (including Gary Player’s epic rant Friday) but basically when you make Ian Poulter sound smart you know the USGA has failed miserably.

Basically, it was the best, worst US Open ever.

Tokens
Heartbreak and some consolation for DJ

June 21, 2015

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. (AP) - Dustin Johnson had his baby in his arms, a smile of sorts frozen on his face.

There would be plenty of time later to sort through the pain and the what-ifs. Still in shock from the events of a few moments earlier, he walked from the 18th green, holding little Tatum, with fiancee Paulina Gretzky lending a comforting hand on his back.

The U.S. Open would have been his had he made a 12-footer on the final green. An 18-hole playoff with Jordan Spieth would have been scheduled for Monday with a 3-footer coming back.

He missed both, and one of the most dramatic U.S. Opens ended in the worst way imaginable. The cruelest of games had dealt Johnson the cruelest of blows.

Instead of holding the Open trophy on the 18th green, he was looking for a quick exit from the chamber of horrors that was Chambers Bay. Instead of resting up for an 18-hole playoff on Monday, he was heading home wondering how it could have all gone wrong.

He tried to keep it in perspective the only way he knew how.

''I'm proud of the way I played and I'm most proud of my family,'' Johnson said outside the locker room. ''So I did get to hold up my trophy at the end of the day, which is my son.''

That a long week at Chambers Bay ended on such a sour note wasn't lost on Johnson. He skipped the trophy ceremony and didn't come into the media center to answer questions, though he did spend some time signing autographs for kids before leaving.

He had put himself in position with a great birdie on the 17th hole when it seemed as if Spieth wouldn't be caught. Then he hit a massive drive and 5-iron to the final green that were striped to perfection.

The putt was above the hole and it wasn't easy. No putts were easy on the bumpy greens at Chambers Bay that were crusty in the early evening sun.

''It was a tough putt. It was going to be a difficult putt to make,'' Johnson said. ''But I don't understand how my ball ended up there. I thought it might have crept back down a little bit.''

By the time the ball had finally stopped rolling it was a bit over 3 feet past the hole. Johnson wasted little time - just 48 seconds before he made his stroke - with the second putt, drawing a gasp from the 6,000 in the bleachers around the 18th green as it slipped by left of the hole.

''I had it inside right,'' Johnson said. ''I don't know. I hit it, thought I hit it pretty decent. Just missed left.''

Johnson had seemingly shot himself out of the tournament with a series of missed putts after taking a two-shot lead at the turn. Back-to-back bogeys on Nos. 10 and 11 and a missed birdie opportunity on the driveable par-4 12th appeared to doom his chances.

But Spieth hit his worst shot of the tournament on the par-3 17th, making double bogey right on front of him. And Johnson hit an iron to 5-feet and calmly made the putt to briefly tie for the lead.

With Spieth making a great birdie of his own to regain the lead on 18, Johnson hit a huge drive down the middle, and then laced a 5-iron to within 12 feet to set himself up for his first major championship.

Make the putt and he would have exorcised the demons of an Open he threw away at Pebble Beach in 2010. Make it and people would have stopped asking why he took a long break from the PGA Tour to deal with what he vaguely described as personal issues.

But Johnson missed. And his first major championship was not to be.

''This is why I play the game of golf is to get a chance to win the U.S. Open on the last hole,'' he said. ''I was trying. It just didn't work out.''

Tokens
Spieth wins a stunner at Chambers Bay

June 21, 2015

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. (AP) - Jordan Spieth is halfway home to the Grand Slam, a prize only three of the biggest names in modern golf have ever chased.

And he still can't believe how he got there.

Spieth won the U.S. Open in a heart-stopper Sunday with a turn of events even more wild than the terrain at Chambers Bay. He thought he had it won with a 25-foot birdie putt on the 16th hole. He threw away a three-shot lead one hole later. He made birdie on the final hole. And then he thought it was over as Dustin Johnson settled in over a 12-foot eagle putt for the victory.

Three putts later, Spieth was the U.S. Open champion.

''I'm still in shock,'' he said with the gleaming U.S. Open trophy at his side. ''I've never experienced a feeling like this. It was a very intense back nine.''

Spieth became only the sixth player to win the Masters and U.S. Open in the same year, and he joined Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods in getting the first two legs of the modern slam that Palmer created on his way to St. Andrews in 1960.

That's the next stop for the 21-year-old Texan whose two major championships could not be any more different. A wire-to-wire runaway at Augusta National. A nail-biter on the edge of Puget Sound.

And another major heartache for Johnson.

''I had all the chances in the world,'' said Johnson, who missed six putts inside 10 feet on the back nine and finished one shot behind.

Spieth, the youngest U.S. Open champion since Bobby Jones in 1923, did his part. Even after letting Johnson and fast-closing Louis Oosthuizen back into the game with his double bogey on the 17th hole, Spieth responded with a 3-wood that caught the backboard on the 18th hole and settled below the hole for an eagle putt. He missed it left, made birdie and walked off the green feeling more regret than excitement over his 1-under 69 for a one-shot lead with the big-hitting Johnson behind him.

Johnson reached the par-5 18th with a 5-iron - that's how far he smashed his tee shot on the 601-yard hole.

Make the putt and he wins the U.S. Open. Two putts would force an 18-hole playoff Monday on a course that favors power.

''I'm still amazed that I won, let alone that we weren't playing tomorrow,'' Spieth said. ''So for that turnaround right there, to watch that happen, I feel for Dustin, but I haven't been able to put anything in perspective yet.''

Spieth now prepares for St. Andrews, the next stop on this improbable ride.

Woods in 2002 was the last player to get the first two legs of the slam.

The others to win the Masters and U.S. Open in the same year were Craig Wood in 1941 and Ben Hogan in 1951 and 1953. Hogan won the British Open in 1953, though he never played the PGA Championship because it was held roughly the same time as the British.

Spieth finished at 5-under 275 in winning for the third time this year. He is still No. 2 and closing fast on Rory McIlroy, who has top 10s in both majors this year without being a serious contender.

Spieth becomes the first player since Jones to make birdie on the 72nd hole to win the U.S. Open by one shot - all because of Johnson's three-putt. He also became the youngest player with two majors since Gene Sarazen in 1922.

For all the criticism of the unique course at Chambers Bay, this was the theater at its finest.

But there will be lingering questions about the condition of the greens, so bumpy that they were referred to as broccoli and Billy Horschel said he lost respect for the USGA. This championship ended with a short miss, the target of complaints all week.

''As you can tell, it's very difficult to get them in the hole out there,'' Johnson said. ''The greens were really fast and they were rolling fairly smooth, but it was still bouncing a little bit.''

The final hour was so wild that four players could have won over the last two holes.

Branden Grace of South Africa was tied for the lead when he hit his tee shot on the reachable 16th hole over the fence and onto the railroads that run along Puget Sound. He made double bogey and never challenged again.

Spieth hit into the fescue-covered mounds right of the 17th and made double bogey just as Oosthuizen made one last birdie - his sixth over the last seven holes - for a 67 to post at 4-under 276.

Johnson, who had a two-shot lead at the turn until missing so many putts on the back nine, was forgotten until he stuffed his tee shot on the par-3 17th to 4 feet for birdie. He just couldn't make one from a little closer when it mattered even more.

''I did everything I was supposed to do,'' he said. ''I hit the ball really well. I'm proud of the way I handled myself and the way I played today. I just really struggled getting it in the hole today. I didn't think I was hitting bad putts. I thought I was hitting them pretty good they just weren't going in.''

It was the fourth heartache for Johnson in the majors, and this was the worst.

Jason Day, who collapsed on Friday with vertigo only to rally for a share of the 54-hole lead, fell back with missed putt and was never in the hunt on the back nine. He closed with a 74 to finish five shots behind.

Grace never recovered from that double bogey on No. 16 and shot 71 to tie for fourth with Adam Scott (64) and Cameron Smith (68).

Tokens
Horschel unloads on USGA for condition

June 21, 2015

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. (AP) - Billy Horschel stepped to the microphone with an air of excitement.

Now that his U.S. Open was complete, Horschel let loose with a string of complaints about the condition of Chambers Bay this week, specifically the quality of the putting surfaces.

''We're looking for something that's very consistent. Every green is very consistent. And this week they're not,'' Horschel said. ''The only two greens out here that are really good are 13 and 7. And No. 10 is not too bad. But other than that, it's just a very disappointing week to be here.''

Horschel's emotions were on full display during his final round on Sunday. After missing a short par putt on the sixth hole, Horschel feigned slamming his putter into the green - although he says he was at least a foot above the putting surface. On the ninth hole, Horschel made emphatic zig-zag motions with his hand after his putt hopped back and forth on its way past the hole.

Normally a 3-under par round in the final round of the U.S. Open would be cherished.

''I played awesome golf today. I played out my tail to shoot 3-under par. And I really felt like I should have shot 6, 7 or 8-under, but I wasn't able to due to the fact that some of the putts I hit just hit some really bad spots on the greens and got off line and didn't go in,'' Horschel said.

Horschel added he understands that fans are not interested in hearing complaints from players but that the conditions of this week needed to be brought to attention. He also brought up the fans and the difficulty in spectators being able to get around the course and close to the action. The course has been roped for safety and not for the ability of fans to clearly see what's happening.

''I think a lot of players, and I'm one of them, have lost some respect for the USGA and this championship this year for the greens,'' Horschel said. ''And not only the greens, one of the biggest issues I have is for the fans. Here we are in the Pacific Northwest, where we haven't been since the late `90s for the PGA Championship, and the viewing is awful.''

TOO FAR BEHIND:

Adam Scott and Louis Oosthuizen both made major charges on Sunday that fell short.

Scott shot 64, making six birdies and no bogeys, and tied for the second lowest final round in U.S. Open history. Only Johnny Miller's 63 at Oakmont in 1973 was better. Scott finished at 3 under and tied for fourth.

''I feel like I had nothing to lose today and everything to gain. And I knew I was playing well and I just couldn't quite put it all together the first three days. And I really wanted to today,'' Scott said. ''It was a big effort for me today. To be honest, it's the kind of round I needed to get things going for me this year, hopefully.

Oosthuizen shot 29 on the back nine and finish at 4 under and a tie for second, but was left lamenting three bogeys in his first four holes to start the final round.

Still, the 67 completed a remarkable turnaround. Oosthuizen was 9 over thru his first 20 holes, including a 77 in the first round, and 13 under over the final 52.

''Proud of myself the way I came back and kept on playing and knew my game was not far off,'' Oosthuizen said. ''That 77 was - I could have easily had a horrible Friday and watched this on television.''

CHARGE HALTED:

Rory McIlroy was cruising. He was at 6 under for his round after making a 70-footer on the 13th hole and 2 under for the tournament. His entire thought was finishing with a number that could linger as something to think about for the leaders well behind him.

And then his charge was stopped when he came up just a couple of feet short with his tee shot on the par 3 15th. Instead of settling next to the pin, the shot rolled down the slope into the rough. He made bogey and also bogeyed the par 3 17th. McIlroy shot 66, but was too far behind to threaten the leaders.

''When I look back, obviously the last few holes of this golf course haven't been kind to me all week. And when I look back at this tournament that's where I'll rue some missed opportunities,'' McIlroy said.

McIlroy said he'll spend the majority of his time between now and the British Open at St. Andrews at home in Northern Ireland.

GRAND SLAM WAIT:

Phil Mickelson's quest for the career Grand Slam will have to wait for Oakmont 12 months from now.

Mickelson concluded a disappointing week at Chambers Bay with a 73 in the final round, making double bogey on the 72nd hole to conclude his week of golf in the Pacific Northwest.

Mickelson was never in contention after the first nine holes as he tried to add the U.S. Open to his titles at the Masters, British Open and PGA Championship. Mickelson has been the runner-up six times at the U.S. Open.

Mickelson played his first nine at Chambers Bay in 3-under par and the final 63 holes in 16 over.

''It was fun to play here. The community helped run a really first-class event, and I wish I had played better,'' Mickelson said.

Mickelson was considered a favorite because of his imagination around the challenging greens of Chambers Bay and he heeded the message of USGA executive director Mike Davis by getting a good look at the course prior to the arrival of tournament week.

But his iron play struggled, hitting only 43 of 72 greens in regulation. Mickelson noted after his round on Saturday that he had yet to make a double bogey despite his inability to score low.

That double bogey finally arrived on his last hole, his farewell to Chambers Bay.

AMATEUR HOUR:

Brian Campbell, who shot 67 in the first round and briefly had a share of the lead in the second round, finished as the low amateur at 2-over par and in a tie for 27th.

Six amateurs made the cut, the most in 49 years. Campbell was one of two amateur to shoot in the 60s in the final round. Campbell shot 68 and Nick Hardy, whose bogey on his final hole late Friday night let 15 additional players into the weekend, also shot 68 and finished at 10 over.

Denny McCarthy and Ollie Schniederjans both finished at 7 over, and Beau Hossler and Jack Maguire both finished at 12 over.

DIVOTS:

The USGA played the 18th as a par 5 rather than keeping with the rotation from the first three days and playing it as a par 4. The reason was a change in the winds from southwest to north on Sunday. Players had said the 18th was a great par 5 and questionable par 4. ... Chris Kirk finished last among those that made the cut at 21 over and was 18 over on the weekend. He started his final round with a 10 on the first hole. ... Cheng-Tsung Pan, who just turned pro after completing his college career at nearby Washington, was the last player in the field not to make a three-putt. That run lasted for 66 holes before a three-putt bogey on the 13th hole Sunday. ... Ben Martin shot 86 in the third round. He shot even-par 70 on Sunday.

Tokens
WNBA Betting Recap - 6/15-6/21

June 21, 2015

League Betting Notes (from Monday, June 15 through Sunday, June 21)

-- Underdogs went 8-7 straight up
-- Underdogs went 8-7 against the spread (ATS)
-- Road teams posted a 13-2 SU record
-- Road teams posted a 13-2 ATS record
-- The 'over' went 8-7

Team Betting Notes

-- It was all about the road team in WNBA this week, as only Atlanta (3-5) and Tulsa (6-1) defended their home courts successfully this week.

-- Speaking of the Shock, they posted a 3-0 week and have covered each of their seven games this season (7-0 ATS).

-- For the Dream, the home win was about the only thing positive this week. They went 1-2 SU/ATS, and slipped to 2-6 ATS through eight games this season. One of the only things consistent about the Dream is the 'under', going 5-2-1 through their first outings.

-- Phoenix (3-3) scratched out an impressive road win at Seattle (2-4), improving to 3-2-1 ATS. It was also their first straight-up win in three tries on the road, while they improved to 2-1 ATS away from the desert.

-- Minnesota (5-2) suffered a rare loss at home to the Shock Sunday, just their second setback in seven tries this season. Even more rare was an offer in Sunday's clash of the titans, as the 'under' had hit in five of six games for the Lynx until the over was smashed against the Shock.

-- Connecticut (6-1) continues to roll right along, wrapping up a west coast road trip this week by going 3-0 SU/ATS. Like the Shock, the Sun have covered each of their seven games this season (7-0 ATS). They have a rematch with Los Angeles (0-4) at home on Friday.

-- Indiana (3-5) was a little better this week, going 2-1 SU/ATS, with their only setback against a good Washington (4-2) squad. The Fever have been involved in many high-scoring games, with the 'over' going 6-2.

Tokens
Diamond Trends - Monday

June 22, 2015

SU TREND OF THE DAY:

-- The Indians are 10-0 SU since Sep 24, 2014 after a game in which they were shut out in the first 6 innings.

PITCHER TREND OF THE DAY:

-- When Clayton Kershaw starts the Dodgers are 11-0 since July 02, 2013 in the first game of a series in the regular season if the team allowed runs last game for a net profit of $1100.

MLB BIBLE ACTIVE TREND:

-- The Indians are 0-7 (+$1,050) since June 20, 2005 as a favorite after scoring 3 runs or less and winning as a favorite, and it is the first game of a series.

CHOICE TREND:

-- The Mariners are 0-10-1 OU (-3.05 ppg) since May 14, 2015 when they are off a home game in which they did not score more than one run in any inning.

ACTIVE TRENDS:

-- The Astros are 9-0 SU since May 27, 2014 on the road when they are off a game in which they scored in at least five separate innings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faisalaftab
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com