Cnotes MLB Best Bets - Trends - News Thru the World Series !

Search

Tokens
Nationals, Dodgers go with 7-man bullpens for NLDS
October 7, 2016

WASHINGTON (AP) The Washington Nationals and Los Angeles Dodgers are going with seven relievers each and stocking up on extra bench players in the NL Division Series.

The Nationals' 25-man roster for the first round released Friday includes infielder Wilmer Difo and outfielder Michael Taylor. Relievers Matt Belisle, Yusmeiro Petit and Sean Burnett and outfielders Ben Revere and Brian Goodwin were left off and Reynaldo Lopez the only long man out of the bullpen.

Manager Dusty Baker said Difo made it because of uncertainty about infielder Daniel Murphy, who had a strained glute muscle but is expected to be ready for Game 1.

The Dodgers' roster was as promised with three catchers. Manager Dave Roberts said Andrew Toles will be in left field for Game 1 after dealing with a wrist injury.

Tokens
LEADING OFF: Kershaw tries again, Cubs launch into playoffs
October 7, 2016

A look at what's happening all around the majors today:

KERSHAW'S PITCH

Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw starts the NL Division Series opener in Washington against Max Scherzer. The LA lefty has dominated hitters in recent years - except in the postseason. He's 2-6 overall in the playoffs, including 1-5 with a 5.45 ERA in his last six starts, often done in by elevated home run and walk rates. The three-time NL Cy Young Award winner went 12-4 with a 1.69 ERA this year while missing more than two months because of a back injury.

WRIGLEY READY

Favored to win the World Series since opening day, the Cubs begin the playoffs when Jon Lester starts against the Giants. Wrigley Field figures to be packed and pulsating for Game 1 of the NL Division Series as the Cubs, who led the majors with 103 wins this year, try to get closer to ending their championship drought that dates to 1908. Johnny Cueto, who helped the Royals win the crown last year, pitches for San Francisco.

IS THIS PRICE RIGHT?

Red Sox star David Price is a five-time All-Star, a two-time ERA leader and a former Cy Young Award winner. But the Boston lefty is 0-7 as a postseason starter in his career with Tampa Bay, Detroit and Toronto. He'll try to end that 0-for-October string when he starts Game 2 of the AL Division Series at Cleveland against Corey Kluber.

BIG BOPPER

Jose Bautista hit just 22 home runs this season, his lowest total 2009, as he was slowed by a knee injury. But the two-time major league homer champ has quickly regained his swing in the playoffs. The Toronto slugger connected for a solo shot in the AL wild-card win over Baltimore, then hit a three-run drive in Game 1 of the AL Division Series romp at Texas. He'll next face Yu Darvish when the Blue Jays and J.A. Happ play Game 2.

MURPHY ON DECK

Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy is expected to start in the playoff opener against the Dodgers. He's been out of the starting lineup since Sept. 17 because of a strained glute muscle. Murphy hit .347 with 25 home runs and 104 RBIs in his first season with Washington. Last year, he homered in a record six straight postseason games for the Mets.

Tokens
At home in Wrigleyville, players embrace proximity to park
October 7, 2016

CHICAGO (AP) It was a step back in time for Chicago Cubs second baseman Ben Zobrist.

Before a recent game, he hopped on his bike in his uniform, with his glove in hand and wearing black P.F. Flyers, and rode to Wrigley Field.

''I just wanted to get that feeling,'' he said. ''It's that feeling of you're riding to the sandlot like a kid. This place makes you feel like a kid.''

Zobrist's ride a few weeks ago became an internet sensation after his singer-songwriter wife, Julianna, posted video and a picture of him on a bike ready to leave on her Instagram account . It also fit the life-is-fun theme preached by manager Joe Maddon that has included onesie-wearing plane rides and zoo animal visits for a team that has rolled into the postseason.

Living near the workplace is one of the unique attractions of playing in a vibrant neighborhood like Wrigleyville. For the players and staff who take advantage, it means almost nonexistent commutes, more time with family and a chance to mingle with the surroundings in a way that might not be possible in other cities. For residents, well, you might have a Cub living next door.

In a sense, it puts a different spin on the term ''friendly confines.'' Zobrist, Jon Lester, Kyle Hendricks and Jake Arrieta all live in the neighborhood. So does president of baseball operations Theo Epstein. And general manager Jed Hoyer is just a few minutes' drive away, in Lincoln Park.

''I think guys love that,'' Hoyer said. ''I think the neighborhood feel is great. The families like it. They can walk with their kids to the ballpark. The lifestyle stuff definitely sells a little bit.''

For Zobrist, it was a big selling point when he signed with the Cubs in the offseason. The native of central Illinois and his family live about a mile from Wrigley in a home with a miniature basketball court and play area outside for their three young children.

Zobrist often takes his bike to the ballpark, though that ride in uniform was a first. But the biggest benefit is the extra time at home. When he played in other cities he had to leave around 2 p.m. for a night game. Now? Sometimes as late as 4.

''It's just a special thing,'' Zobrist said. ''They're never going to make another venue like this in professional sports where it's basically in a neighborhood. And because of that, it has such a unique feel. I mean, it's honestly baseball heaven on earth.''

For Lester, calling the neighborhood home was not the plan.

He lived near Fenway Park for a few years when he played for the Red Sox before buying a house about a half hour away in Newton. When he signed with the Cubs before the 2015 season, he was seeking some separation from home and work so he looked in the suburbs.

But he balked at the idea of sitting in traffic and eventually found a house about a mile from Wrigley. Sometimes his wife will walk to the ballpark, though he drives.

''I love being closer,'' Lester said. ''It's nice, especially when you get in from late road trips and you're two minutes from home.''

Hendricks and his fianc�e enjoy hitting the shops and restaurants along the Southport corridor a few blocks from the ballpark. This time last year, he could walk the streets without any recognition. But that's starting to change thanks to a breakout season in which he - like Lester - is in the running for the NL Cy Young Award.

''Most of the time, it's middle-aged people coming up wanting to shake your hand, maybe take a picture,'' said Hendricks, who lived downtown when he came up to the Cubs in 2014. ''Shake your hand and really just talk to you for a second - how well the season's going, how much they're enjoying all this time. That's something that you notice is a little different than other places you go, where you find many more autograph seekers.''

The neighborhood around Wrigley Field has experienced its share of ups and downs ever since Charles Weeghman's Chicago Whales of the Federal League moved to the ballpark in 1914. It became known as ''Wrigleyville'' in the 1980s when real estate agents renamed the area to capitalize on the Cubs' popularity, and it is undergoing another transformation thanks to a multiyear renovation to the ballpark and its surroundings by the Ricketts family.

Video boards, new bleacher sections and a state-of-the-art home clubhouse have already been added. An office building is being constructed outside the ballpark and a hotel is going up across the street.

For all the bars and restaurants and construction and game-day crowds, there still are plenty of quiet tree-lined streets nearby for a small-town feel in a bustling metropolis.

It's something longtime Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster noticed when he joined the team in 2004 and moved into the neighborhood. He could walk home after a game, see people playing cornhole in their yard and stop to have a beer with them.

''There's something really special about being a Chicago Cub and to be in the neighborhood and see the passion behind all the people, from bar owners to a coffee shop to whatever it is - they really support their team and love their team,'' said Dempster, who works in the front office. ''And there's a mutual feeling. I felt the same way about the people in the neighborhood, the businesses. The environment was great.''

Tokens
Maddon, Bochy bring 'Wild West' flair to Cubs-Giants series
October 7, 2016

CHICAGO (AP) Joe Maddon showed up in a blue Chicago Cubs ''We Came To Reign'' sweater. On Friday, he might as well try chaps and spurs.

That's because Maddon will probably feel like he is in the Wild West when the Cubs open their NL Division Series against the San Francisco Giants, managing against Bruce Bochy.

''He's a cowboy,'' Maddon said Thursday. ''He'll do anything. And when you manage against a cowboy, it's always interesting.''

It sure figures to be that way with two successful managers with different approaches going at it. Maddon and Bochy tend to treat regular-season matchups as if they were playoff games. Now that they are actually meeting in the postseason?

''Oh, they're going to have a field day,'' Cubs outfielder Chris Coghlan said. ''They're going to love it. They do every time.''

There's Maddon, the laid-back professorial hipster with the white hair and horned rim glasses, who balances advanced metrics with more traditional analysis and keeps his players on their toes simply by being different and fun.

He also has a team that comes in with a major league-leading 103 wins and the hopes of its long-suffering fans that the team's first World Series title since 1908 is on the way.

Then there's the more old-school Bochy, who while not quite as immersed in the numbers has led the Giants to three World Series titles since 2010. And for what it's worth, all three have come in even-numbered years.

''We look forward to managing against guys that we know do such a great job and will be so well prepared and it makes you stay on your toes and make sure that you're ready and you're prepared,'' Bochy said. ''So, especially going against such a good club and he's got a lot of weapons over there and it's up to me to have these guys ready and of course have my moves ready.''

The Cubs took four of seven meetings from the Giants this season. And their final five games were all decided by one run.

While the outcome of the series largely hinges on the arms of Jon Lester and Johnny Cueto and the bats of Kris Bryant and Buster Posey, the matchup between Maddon and Bochy is one to watch.

''I think the strategies and what the other guys are thinking, I just know from the years playing against the Giants and Bochy he just does a really good job of having two guys up all the time ready for that pinch-hitter, ready for the matchup,'' Cubs slugger Anthony Rizzo said. ''And playing with Joe, he does a good job.''

The two have a strong mutual admiration that took root when they first crossed paths managing in the minors decades ago. While Maddon relies more on advanced metrics, he and Bochy are both respected by their players for their communication skills and penchant for making the right move.

Maddon, of course, is also known to have zoo animals at Wrigley Field. And onesie road trips. He showed up one day at spring training dressed in a tie-dye T-shirt and headband in a throwback 1970s van blasting Earth, Wind & Fire.

It wasn't his last groovy thought.

''The other day I texted him. I changed my number,'' Coghlan said.

Maddon's response?

''Groovy,'' he said.

But to Coghlan, it's not just that Maddon is fun and cool. He also happens to be a great coach with a knack for finding a flaw, for example, in something as simple as his footwork.

Coghlan appreciates that more than anything else, though it sure doesn't hurt knowing the man in the dugout will usually make all the right moves during the game.

Coghlan sees a thought process in Maddon that is ''different than a lot of managers I've played for'' and doesn't see ''how anyone could be better.''

''Just to see him and how he thinks is really interesting, and I think there's a reason why he's had a lot of success,'' he said.

The guy who will be in the other dugout has had his share of it, too.

Tokens
Man who threw can at Jays game charged
October 6, 2016

TORONTO (AP) The man who threw a beer at Baltimore outfielder Hyun Soo Kim during the seventh inning of Tuesday night's AL wild card game has been charged with mischief.

Ken Pagan, a 41-year-old copy editor for Postmedia, reported to a police precinct Thursday evening. He was later released and is due in court in late November.

Pagan contacted police Wednesday evening after police released a photo of him.

Toronto police said Thursday they are sure they have the right man. ''We are confident we have made a positive ID and we will continue to work with the Rogers Centre to further the investigation?,'' Police spokeswoman Meaghan Gray said.

Postmedia Network spokeswoman Phyllise Gelfand confirmed Pagan is a copy editor for the news organization and said it is conducting an investigation but has not reached conclusions.

Toronto police detective Pat Alberga said security camera footage inside the stadium helped identify the suspect.

But in a report published by the Toronto Sun, which is owned by Postmedia, Pagan suggested police may be wrong. Pagan told the Toronto Sun he was ''drinking out of a cup'' during the game. He also said photos posted on Twitter that show him after the can was tossed clearly indicate he had a cup in his hand.

Tyler Smith, Pagan's lawyer, said outside the police station that Pagan is going to wait until court to have his say.

Major League Baseball has spoken with the Jays about banning cans from the seats at Rogers Centre and wants officials in Canada to prosecute the fan. Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said he didn't think there is another big league ballpark where beer is served in cans. Toronto said it is planning tougher security measures and alcohol policies at Rogers Centre. Toronto also apologized to the Orioles and pledged to help authorities identify the spectator.

Blue Jays fans tossed bottles and debris on the field during Game 5 of last year's AL Division Series against Texas, upset by the call that let Rougned Odor score from third after catcher Russell Martin's throw back to the mound deflected off Shin Soo Choo's bat. A baby was narrowly missed by one beer can.

A fan in Toronto also threw a drink at Orioles outfielder Nate McLouth during a game at Rogers Centre in May 2013. Canadians have a reputation for being polite but Blue Jay fans have increasingly earned a reputation for drunken, boorish behavior.

''Hey, whatever happened to polite Canadians?'' author Stephen King tweeted.

Tokens
Kershaw's postseason woes a mystery entering LA-Nats opener
October 6, 2016

WASHINGTON (AP) It is one of baseball's enduring mysteries in recent years and will be front-and-center in Game 1 of the NL Division Series between the Dodgers and Nationals that begins Friday:

Why is LA lefty Clayton Kershaw so downright masterful during the regular season and so decidedly mediocre during the playoffs?

While a player such as Washington slugger Bryce Harper talks about thriving when the stage is biggest, the lights brightest, the TV audience broadest, Kershaw seems to spend early October dealing with questions about happens to him at this time of year. He goes from being a three-time Cy Young Award winner (with a pair of other top-three finishes in voting) who wins two out of every three decisions (126-60 career record) and owns a 2.37 ERA to just a guy: 2-6, 4.59 ERA.

''The bad ones stand out more,'' he said Thursday, ''for sure.''

He offered one possible explanation for the disparity, and a hopeful-sounding view of why things could be different this time around, beginning when he faces Max Scherzer and the rest of the NL East champions.

In years gone by, Kershaw said, he thought he was supposed to carry the Dodgers.

But he missed more than two months with a back injury in 2016 and thought it took some time to get completely comfortable when he returned for five starts in September.

''In the past, I've definitely felt that pressure more. But this year's been a little bit different for me, just as far as having to watch on the sidelines. ... It's really kind of hit home for me a little bit, as I've come back, that I can definitely be a part of this and definitely help and definitely be a factor in winning,'' Kershaw said. ''But I don't have to be THE factor.''

Another difference: He recently picked up somewhat of a sidearm delivery for the occasional 95 mph fastball, something he got from Game 2 starter Rich Hill.

Neither Dodgers rookie manager Dave Roberts nor Kershaw himself has spent time going over video of past playoff performances to try to glean anything that could be improved or changed for this series.

''I don't read too much into it and haven't looked back on it. I don't think it has any bearing on this postseason, the start tomorrow,'' Roberts said. ''And I really don't think Clayton cares, either.''

Setting aside Kershaw's particular case, for the moment, there are those players, to be sure, who are able to elevate themselves when the stakes and scrutiny are the greatest.

Harper, who slugged .882 with three homers in Washington's 2014 NLDS loss to San Francisco, describes himself as someone who enjoys ''playing in front of millions of people'' and adds: ''My heart doesn't really race or anything like that. I'm super calm. I feel great at the plate. I feel great in the outfield. Just feels like home.''

Nationals left fielder Jayson Werth, who won a World Series title with Philadelphia in 2008, spoke about Phillies teammate Jimmy Rollins as an example of someone who performed best when the TV cameras turned on.

''The red light's on and, all of a sudden, he turns into a superhero. That's more personality than DNA, I think,'' Werth said. ''Some guys can do it. Some guys are the opposite. They play better during the season, when no one's watching.''

Some other story lines to watch in the NLDS between the Dodgers and Nationals:

ROOKIE STARS:
This series features two outstanding rookies who might be the teams' most dynamic offensive players, Dodgers SS Corey Seager (.308 average, 26 HRs) and Nationals CF Trea Turner (.342, 13 HRs, 33 SBs in 73 games). ''He's going to help us out tremendously the next couple of weeks,'' Harper said about Turner.

HOME VS. ROAD: The Dodgers went 53-28 at home and only 38-43 on the road in 2016; if the best-of-five NLDS goes the distance, Game 5 will be at Nationals Park. ''You know what?'' Roberts said. ''I don't think there'll be carryover.''

CLOSE CLOSERS: Each club features a top regular-season closer - Washington's Mark Melancon converted 47 of 51 save chances this year; LA's Kenley Jansen went 47 for 53. One difference: Melancon was asked to earn a save of more than three outs only twice all season, while Jansen did it five times, and Roberts said he'd have no qualms about asking for that repeatedly in the series.

HISTORY-MAKING MANAGERS: This is the first postseason matchup in MLB history involving two black managers. ''It gives us some pride, in being African-American, to show people that not only can we do the job, but we can do the job better than most,'' Washington's Dusty Baker said.

Tokens
Baker, Roberts 1st opposing black managers in playoff series
October 6, 2016

WASHINGTON (AP) The NL Division Series between Dusty Baker's Washington Nationals and Dave Roberts' Los Angeles Dodgers is the first postseason matchup in major league history involving two black managers.

''It gives us some pride, in being African-American, to show people that not only can we do the job, but we can do the job better than most. Especially this year,'' Baker said Thursday. ''Hopefully, it motivates other organizations to get some African-American managers, also to motivate other players that are playing now, and former players that have managerial aspirations. It probably brings a lot of pride across America - and not only African-American people, but everybody.''

When Baker was hired last November, baseball avoided what could have been its first start to a season since 1988 with zero black managers. Roberts got his job later that month.

In April, a study overseen by Richard Lapchick of The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida gave baseball teams a grade of C-plus for racial hiring practices for managers.

Asked about the bit of history he and Baker will make when the NLDS opens Friday in Washington, Roberts said: ''It's important, and it doesn't go unnoticed or underappreciated, I think, speaking for Dusty, myself, what it means to the game of baseball, to society.''

Roberts recently spoke about Baker as ''a friend, a role model'' and said ''it's a lot'' to ''try to follow what he's done.''

While this is Roberts' postseason debut as a skipper, Baker is participating in the playoffs for the eighth time in 21 seasons with four clubs as a manager. Baker ranks 17th in major league history in managerial wins and said this week he aims to become the first black manager in the sport's Hall of Fame.

On Thursday, Baker recalled playing under manager Tommy Lasorda with the Los Angeles Dodgers more than 30 years ago - and hearing Lasorda brag about how many Italian skippers there were in the majors at the time.

''He says, `We're taking over.'''

''I said, `What do you mean, you're taking over?'''

According to Baker, Lasorda then began listing managers he said were Italian. When Lasorda mentioned Billy Martin, Baker responded that he wasn't Italian. But, Baker said, Lasorda retorted that Martin's mother was Italian. Then, Baker continued, Lasorda mentioned Chuck Tanner, drawing another objection. And again, according to Baker, Lasorda said Tanner's mother was Italian. And the discussion continued in that vein, Baker said.

''So we went on and on and on. There was some racial pride in him. And he always was talking about being Italian. He even told me to tell some of his friends I was Italian,'' Baker recounted with a wide smile. ''And he says, `If he asks you, you tell them you're from Abruzzo,''' an Italian province.

Tokens
Exorcising the Cubs curse - and other baseball superstitions
October 7, 2016

Erik Williams and Brad Knaub had seen every attempt to exorcise the Curse of the Billy Goat go awry, from intrepid Cubs fans who have smuggled more benevolent goats into Wrigley Field to that Greek Orthodox priest who once sprayed holy water on the dugout.

Yet their beloved Cubs continued to come up short.

Every year.

So, the owners of Carnivore Inc., a company that produces food from responsibly raised animals, decided to take matters into their own hands. They carefully selected a goat from a farm about 90 minutes south of Chicago, had it butchered earlier this week, and proceeded to turn the bleepin' bleater into traditional Merguez sausage at their shop in the Chicago suburbs.

Their hope is that Cubs fans at Wrigley Field on Friday night can collectively lift the plague by devouring their delicacy before Game 1 of their NL divisional series against the Giants.

''The previous attempts to reverse the curse with slaughter and macabre acts are obviously only making things worse,'' Williams said. ''It's time to make Chicagoans love goat.''

Of course, you could write this entire enterprise off as another utterly ridiculous idea from a bunch of crackpot Cubs fans willing to try anything to finally win a World Series.

Or, you could recognize that research has proven it just may work - at least on the field. It turns out that numerous academics, principally psychologists, have been investigating for years and in great detail whether superstitions actually have an effect.

And let's be honest: No sport is rifer with superstitions than baseball.

Nationals pitcher Sean Burnett dutifully puts a poker chip in his back pocket before taking the mound. Rangers pitcher Derek Holland watches a certain part of the film, ''For The Love of the Game,'' the night before he pitches. And Royals outfielder Alex Gordon never stands in the on-deck circle, instead wearing out the perfectly manicured grass in precisely the same spot right next it.

Many players refuse to step on baselines when they're running on or off the field, or use the same glove or wear the same grimy helmet, regardless of how much pine tar is caked on it.

''There's so much failure in this game, and there are so many repetitions, that if you find something that you think makes you go well for a while, why change that up?'' Nationals first baseman Clint Robinson said. ''I can see why baseball would be a superstitious sport.''

Some players call them routines. Others call them habits or quirks or customs. But in truth, that's all just semantics. They're still engaging in some sort of superstition.

And there's a chance they're succeeding because of it.

Researchers at the University of Cologne conducted a series of experiments that found that by ''activating good-luck-related superstitions,'' such as telling someone to keep their fingers crossed, it improved performance in golfing, dexterity, memory and solving anagrams.

They also found superstitions boost confidence, which in turn improves an athlete's performance.

Dutch researchers published an article in "Psychological Science" that reached similar conclusions, and then deduced that superstitions are more pervasive when the stakes are high.

It's hard to get much higher than the playoffs, where the Cubs are shooting for their first World Series title since 1908 - long before Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis was asked to leave Game 4 of the 1945 World Series because the odor of his pet goat Murphy was bothering other fans. Sianis, as the story goes, declared that day the Cubs would never win another World Series.

Dr. Stuart Vyse, a psychologist and author of "Believing in Magic: The Psychology of Superstition," acknowledges that there is no magic behind superstitions. They don't directly affect performance.

''But,'' he said, ''there is growing evidence it has a psychological effect, that if you believe in luck and engage in a superstition you will actually perform better in a skilled activity. And of course, baseball does involve skill.''

It's worth noting that Vyse grew up a Cubs fan, though he's been rooting for the Red Sox since he moved east. And his father was a lifelong Cubs fan who never saw them win a World Series title.

Now, there are superstitions in just about every sport. Basketball players spin the ball a certain way before taking free throws, and hockey goalies slap the pipes a certain number of times before a faceoff, and many athletes listen to certain playlists before they take the field.

Yet superstitions are more prevalent in baseball, Vyse said, because of the laborious pace of the game. Players need something to fill their minds while they stand in the outfield or sit in the dugout, so they begin to connect success and failure to certain rituals.

''Baseball has all this waiting time and if you don't have anything to fill it with, it can make you kind of anxious,'' Vyse said. ''Even if you're not superstitious, coaches often recommend players develop a pregame ritual, a routine, something that they can focus on to alleviate anxiety.''

How does all this translate to fans? Is it possible the superstitious beliefs of a couple of Chicago sausage connoisseurs, and their slaughter of a goat, can help the Cubs win the World Series?

''In a very loose way, it might be one additional encouragement,'' Vyse mused. ''But there's a much more important function for the fans themselves. These people are not unlike players - their identities are tied up in the local team. Their emotions rise and fall with the fate of the team.

''So especially for the group, superstitions and bonding - it makes people feel connected to the team, as if they play a role, even though they can do nothing but be a good fan.''

Tokens
MLB PLAYOFF RECORD:

10/06 - 2 - 2 - 0.21

WLT PCT UNITS

M/L Picks.............2 - 2...............5O.00 %...........- 0.21

O/U Picks............1 - 3................25.00 %............ - 2.00

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

TOR at TEX 01:00 PM

TOR +113

O 8.0

BOS at CLE 04:30 PM

CLE -105

O 7.5

I'LL BE BACK LATER WITH LATER GAMES.....GOOD LUCK !

Tokens
LATE GAMES:

LAD at WAS 05:30 PM

WAS +131

U 6.0 ***

SF at CHC 09:00 PM

SF +158 ***

U 6.5

Tokens
MLB PLAYOFF RECORD:

10/07 - 2 - 8 - 5.87

WLT PCT UNITS

M/L Picks.............3 - 4....................42.85 %............ - 1.08

O/U Picks............2 - 5 - 1................25.00 %............ - 5.00

TRIPLE PLAYS 0 - 2

M/L-.......... 0 - 1
O/U-..........0 - 1

Tokens
LEADING OFF: Hill tries to boost Dodgers, Samardzija for SF
October 7, 2016

A look at what's happening all around the majors Saturday:

REMEMBER ME?

Dodgers lefty Rich Hill, who made 25 relief appearances for Washington's Triple-A affiliate last year, starts at Nationals Park in Game 2 of the NL Division Series with LA holding a 1-0 lead. The 36-year-old spent the summer of 2015 in the minors and independent ball before returning to the majors. He was 3-2 with a 1.83 ERA in six starts for the Dodgers this year after they got him from Oakland at the trade deadline. Tanner Roark (16-10, 2.83 ERA) starts for the Nats.

FAMILIAR GROUND

Jeff Samardzija has started plenty of games at Wrigley Field - just not in the playoffs. That's about to change. Samardzija will make his first postseason start in the same place he began his major league career when the Giants visit the Cubs in Game 2 of the NL Division Series. The former Notre Dame receiver was drafted by Chicago in 2006 and spent his first 6 1/2 seasons with the team. Kyle Hendricks, who led the majors with a 2.13 ERA, starts for the Cubs.

SLOW START

Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is 1 for 8 in the AL Division Series, and Cleveland leads 2-0. Big Papi is retiring after this season, meaning Boston needs to win Game 3 Sunday to prolong his career. Clay Buchholz starts at Fenway Park vs. Josh Tomlin of the Indians.

REST UP

Blue Jays second baseman Devon Travis gets a day to recover from irritation in his right knee. He started the AL Division Series opener at Texas, but was scratched from the starting lineup about an hour before Game 2. Toronto holds a 2-0 lead in the best-of-five matchup and is home for Game 3 Sunday night.

Tokens
Roark to start for Nationals in Game 2
October 7, 2016

WASHINGTON (AP) Tanner Roark will start Game 2 for the Washington Nationals in their NL Division Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday.

It's the spot that very likely would have gone to Stephen Strasburg, but he is out for the NLDS after hurting his pitching elbow late in the regular season. On Friday, he had his first bullpen session off a mound since being sidelined.

For the right-handed Roark (16-10, 2.83 ERA), the assignment announced Friday represents the latest sign of an impressive return to starting in 2016 after being relegated to the bullpen last season. Lefty Rich Hill (3-2, 1.84 ERA in six starts for LA after a trade from Oakland) will pitch Game 2 for the Dodgers.

''Emotions already are pretty high right now. ... If you're not nervous, you're not human and you don't care, I feel like,'' said Roark, who was told Thursday he would pitch in Game 2. ''So for me, being nervous is a good thing.''

The choice of Roark was not all that surprising, and Nationals manager Dusty Baker smiled broadly as he joked to media members before Game 1 on Friday: ''Well, you know, we weren't debating that much. We were just kind of messing with you guys, to tell you the truth.''

In a tweak to his batting order, Baker flipped Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth, moving up 2015 NL MVP Harper from No. 3 to No. 2, and shifting Werth from No. 2 to No. 3.

''I just talked to them out of respect,'' Baker said, ''but they said, `Hey, Skip, whatever you want to do, and whatever you think that's best, that's what you do.'''

Both teams officially released their 25-man NLDS rosters, and Washington's includes only seven relievers, including three lefties. Baker said he wanted extra position players on the bench because of the possible need for pinch runners, particularly for second baseman Daniel Murphy, who last started on Sept. 17 because of a strained glute muscle.

Reynaldo Lopez is the only long reliever in the bullpen, while Sammy Solis, Oliver Perez and Marc Rzepczynski are the lefties; Sean Burnett is the odd man out.

Infielder Wilmer Difo and outfielder Michael A. Taylor made the roster, while relievers Burnett, Matt Belisle and Yusmeiro Petit and outfielders Ben Revere and Brian Goodwin were left off.

''We contemplated many, many different scenarios,'' Baker said.

The Dodgers' roster was as promised, with three catchers: Carlos Ruiz, Yasmani Grandal and Austin Barnes, who can also play in the infield. LA also has only seven relievers.

The Game 3 starting pitchers are lefty Gio Gonzalez for Washington, and righty Kenta Maeda for Los Angeles

Tokens
Saturday’s six-pack

2007 NFL Draft wasn’t a great one for quarterbacks:

JaMarcus Russell, 1st pick………Brady Quinn 22nd pick

Kevin Kolb 36th pick…………John Beck 40th pick

Drew Stanton 43rd pick…….Trent Edwards 92nd pick

Isaiah Stanback 103rd pick……..Jeff Rowe 151st pick

Troy Smith 174th pick………..Jordan Palmer 205th pick

Tyler Thigpen.................. 217th pick

Saturday’s List of 13: Random thoughts on a fall day…….

13) Pretty cool that Tito Francona (Terry’s dad) threw out the first ball before Game 1 of the Indians-Red Sox series Thursday. Tito Francona was a .272 hitter in his 15-year career, six of which were played in Cleveland (he led the AL in doubles in 1960). Mr Francona is 82 now; was fun to see him throw out the first pitch Thursday.

12) If Indians-Rangers meet in ALCS, Jonathan Lucroy won’t get a warm greeting in Ohio; he vetoed a trade to the Indians this summer, before Milwaukee traded him to Texas. Ironic that Roberto Perez was a hitting star in Game 1; he’d be on the bench if the Indians had Lucroy.

11) Rangers skipper Jeff Banister is proving to be a really good manager, making the playoffs in his first two years in Arlington, but his playing career wasn’t quite as good. Banister made only one major league big plate appearance; July 23, 1991 for the Pirates— he singled in his only plate appearance, making him a career 1.000 hitter. Aren’t many of those.

10) Miami Marlins fired batting coach Barry Bonds and two other coaches; think about how badly Giancarlo Stanton struggled in May/June; that has to be a big reason why Bonds was told to take a hike. Not sure why the bullpen coach got fired, but he and the 3rd base coach also got canned. Firing Bonds just before a hurricane hits Miami is an interesting form of a news dump.

9) I think the one-game Wild Card format is great and don’t forget, my favorite team (the A’s) lost the Wild Card game in 12 innings two years ago. Despise that, I like it. You don’t like the one-game format? Then win your division and you bypass it.

8) Four playoff games on a baseball Friday; the 1:00 game tells you which TV markets MLB cares the least about. Toronto-Texas was the 1:00 game Friday.

7) Each team gets an extra instant replay challenge in playoff games; there were three replay reviews in the first 2.5 innings of the Toronto-Texas game Thursday.

6) Only three major leaguers have started a big league game at shortstop at age 18:
a) Robin Yount, a Hall of Famer
b) Alex Rodriguez, a future Hall of Famer
c) Tony LaRussa, who got 44 AB’s as an 18-year old for the ’63 A’s, then didn’t get back to the majors for five years. He wound up hurting his shoulder, but got 203 PA’s in 132 career games over six years, became a great manager and is in the Hall of Fame as a manager.

5) Philadelphia Eagles played at a very fast pace in three years under Chip Kelly, but in three games under Doug Pederson (and rookie QB Carson Wentz), Eagles are using 33.78 seconds between plays, the slowest pace in the NFL.

4) Oakland A’s won the 1989 World Series; since then, only one AL West team (’02 Angels) has won the World Series.

3) Not only are Waffle House restaurants tremendous, now I find out there is a Waffle House museum outside of Atlanta. Not sure what would be in a Waffle House museum, other than old menus and aprons, maybe some forks and plates, maybe a maple syrup dispenser, but eating at a Waffle House is an experience.

10-12 years ago, I was in Orlando in July with Harry the Handicapper as he recruited players for his basketball team. At the end of a day watching AAU basketball games, we stop in a Waffle House, which is very crowded, because 1) Waffle Houses are tremendous 2) Waffle Houses are small and 3) it was pretty late and not much else was open.

Just as we walk in, one of the two waitresses on duty gets in an argument with the manager; not good. The other waitress isn’t moving too quickly, the second one is yelling at the manager, and finally throws her apron at him and quits on the spot. Right out the door she goes.

We look at each other, look at the crowded Waffle House with one (slow moving) waitress and reluctantly we take off to find food elsewhere. It was sad, because New York doesn’t have Waffle Houses. Maybe the apron the waitress threw at the manager is in the Waffle House museum.

2) Why do news channels send reporters out in the middle of a hurricane? Isn’t that dangerous? Do those people get paid more? Does it help their careers?

I remember once we had a blizzard here in beautiful upstate New York and channel 13 sent a lady named Elaine Houston out to Albany Airport to report on the blizzard.

Now the airport is closed and Ms Houston looks like the coldest and most miserable person on the planet as she gives her report (outside). I couldn’t help but laugh; who is the genius that thought sending her to a deserted airport during a blizzard was a good idea?

1) What would happen if there was a hurricane on Election Day? There would be no voting in Florida and maybe Georgia and South Carolina; would they postpone the election?

Tokens
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 8

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

LAD at WAS 04:00 PM

WAS +109 *****

O 7.5

Tokens
MLB PLAYOFF RECORD:

10/07 - 2 - 8 - 5.87

WLT PCT UNITS

M/L Picks.............3 - 4....................42.85 %............ - 1.08

O/U Picks............2 - 5 - 1................25.00 %............ - 5.00

TRIPLE PLAYS - ***** - 0 - 2

M/L-.......... 0 - 1
O/U-..........0 - 1

SF at CHC 08:00 PM

SF +170 *****

O 7.0 *****

Tokens
MLB PLAYOFF RECORD:

10/08 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 3.00

WLT PCT UNITS

M/L Picks.............3 - 5....................37.50 %............ - 2.08

O/U Picks............2 - 5 - 2................25.00 %............ - 5.00

TRIPLE PLAYS - ***** - 0 - 4

M/L-.......... 0 - 2 - 0
O/U-..........0 - 1 - 1

Tokens
Game 3 - Texas at Toronto
October 8, 2016

American Leauge Division Series - Game 3
Texas Rangers (95-67) at Toronto Blue Jays (89-73)
First pitch: Sunday, 7:30 p.m. ET

Sportsbook.ag Game 3 Odds: Blue Jays -190, Rangers, Total 9 (Under -115)

After two games in Arlington, the American League Division Series between the Rangers and Blue Jays shits to Toronto for Game 3.

The AL West-champion Rangers (95-67) had the best record in the American League during the regular season, but all of a sudden they find themselves in a precarious situation.

The series is shifting to Toronto, where the Blue Jays (89-73)—who defeated the Orioles in the AL Wild Card Game on a dramatic walk-off home run—play in front of one of the most raucous crowds in the sport.

The pitching matchup heavily favors the Blue Jays, at least on paper. RHP Aaron Sanchez (15-2, 3.00 ERA, 1.17 WHIP), who led the AL in ERA, will take the ball for manager John Gibbons. He’ll be opposed by RHP Colby Lewis (6-5, 3.71 ERA, 1.13 WHIP).

The Blue Jays took three of four from the Rangers at Rogers Centre back in early May. Jeff Banister’s club went 42-39 on the road during the regular season. The Jays posted a 46-35 home mark.

The Rangers haven’t seen much of Sanchez, who only lost twice in 2017, but they’ve had some success against him in limited action. DH Carlos Beltran (.295, 29 HR, 93 RBI), acquired from the Yankees at the trade deadline, is 4-for-8 against the 24-year-old with a homer and four RBIs.

3B Adrian Beltre (.300, 32 HR, 104 RBI), who had another excellent year at age 37, has two hits against him in six at-bats—one of those hits was a homer.

SS Elvis Andrus (.302, 8 HR, 69 RBI, 24 SB) is 2-for-5 against him, 1B Mitch Moreland (.233, 22 HR, 60 RBI) is 2-for-6 and 2B Rougned Odor (.271, 33 HR, 88 RBI) is 3-for-8. Lewis faced the Jays twice this season.

On May 4, in Toronto, he took a no-decision after allowing three earned runs in seven innings. He took another no-decision 10 days later at home, holding the Blue Jays to two earned runs on four hits in seven innings. In nine career postseason appearances (eight starts), Lewis is 4-1 with a 2.38 ERA in 53 innings pitched.

The Blue Jays have seen their fair share of Lewis, and the right-hander could be in for a long night.

RF Jose Bautista (.234, 22 HR, 69 RBI) is 5-for-17 against him with two homers and 10 walks and DH Michael Saunders (.253, 24 HR, 57 RBI) is 7-for-26 with a homer, a triple and two doubles. 1B Justin Smoak (.217, 14 HR, 34 RBI) has hit two homers off him, and CF Kevin Pillar (.266, 7 HR, 53 RBI has taken him deep as well.

Lewis has done a surprisingly good job of keeping 3B Josh Donaldson (.284, 37 HR, 99 RBI) and 1B Edwin Encarnacion (.263, 42 HR, 127 RBI) in check. They’re 2-for-15 and 1-for-15 with a homer against him, respectively.

Sanchez, like Lewis, faced the Rangers twice this season and took two no-decisions. He allowed three earned runs in seven innings in his first start, and gave up six earned runs in 6 2/3 in the second. In nine postseason appearances last season—no starts—Sanchez didn’t give up an earned run in 7 1/3 innings.

Tokens
Dodgers-Nats rained out in Game 2 of NLDS; will play Sunday
October 8, 2016

WASHINGTON (AP) Persistent rain led Major League Baseball to postpone Game 2 of the NL Division Series between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Washington Nationals to Sunday afternoon.

The teams were scheduled for a 4:08 p.m. first pitch Saturday. But rain that intensified as Hurricane Matthew moved up the coast and a forecast of ''100 percent certainty'' for precipitation until at least 8 p.m. forced the decision, Commissioner Rob Manfred said.

LA leads the best-of-five series 1-0 after a 4-3 victory Friday night.

Manfred said he expected the weather to be better for a 1:08 p.m. start Sunday at Nationals Park. It's supposed to be 61 degrees and windy.

''By 1 o'clock we hopefully will be in a sunny period,'' he said.

Left-hander Rich Hill (12-5, 2.12 ERA) will start Game 2 for the Dodgers against right-hander Tanner Roark (16-10, 2.83). Manfred said the rest of the series will proceed as scheduled with Game 3 Monday afternoon at Dodger Stadium - the rain wiped out the travel day to the West Coast.

Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy said players came in prepared to play but was glad the decision was made quickly.

''Hats off to Major League Baseball for canceling this early,'' Murphy said. ''I'm sure they didn't want either pitcher to get out there and get caught in a situation where you lose one of them, especially in a short series like this.''

The postponement means the teams will have to play and fly Sunday.

''We do East-West travel like this during the regular season,'' Manfred said. ''It's not ideal but doable.''

It's expected to be Dodgers righty Kenta Maeda against Nationals lefty Gio Gonzalez in Game 3. Manager Dave Roberts said lefty Julio Urias would start Game 4, if necessary, which would leave ace Clayton Kershaw available for a possible Game 5.

Tokens
Indians at Fenway with chance to sweep out Ortiz, Red Sox
October 8, 2016

BOSTON (AP) The protective plastic sheeting from Toronto's end-of-season celebration was still covering the lights in the visitor's clubhouse at Fenway Park on Saturday.

No reason to take it down.

They might need it again pretty soon.

The Cleveland Indians arrived in Boston with a 2-0 lead in their best-of-five AL Division Series and a chance to eliminate the Red Sox in Game 3 on Sunday. If they do, it will also be the end for Boston designated hitter David Ortiz, who will retire at the end of the season and will do everything he can before then to make sure that doesn't come quite so soon.

''Everybody had it mapped out in their head in spring training what we wanted to do, knowing that David was not going to be here next year,'' said Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz, who will try to keep the season going. ''We reached the first goal, and that was to get in the playoffs and win the division. Second part of it has not worked out the first two games, but I don't think there's anybody on this team that's more confident than David Ortiz about us moving forward.

''And whenever he comes to bat, he would love to put himself in the most pressure-packed position,'' Buchholz said. ''That's just what he's done over his career.''

After Cy Young candidate Rick Porcello and ace David Price failed to beat Cleveland in the first two games, Buchholz (8-10, 4.78 in 2016) will try to slow down an Indians offense that already has four homers in the series. He will face Cleveland right-hander Josh Tomlin (13-9, 4.40), a former teammate from Angelina Junior College.

''This is a pretty cool story,'' Buchholz said. ''We talked about it the other day. He's one of my good buddies. ... It's a small world when it comes to that.''

Tomlin said the two pitchers get together in the offseason and have been back to the school in Lufkin, Texas, to work out with their coach. When their teams play, they sometimes hang out or go out to lunch.

This year, they've had more to talk about than just their school days: Each of them has struggled this season and was bounced from his team's rotation. After going 0-5 with an 11.48 ERA in August, Tomlin made his next appearance out of the bullpen and didn't start again until Sept. 14.

''The idea was to give him maybe a little of a break,'' Indians manager Terry Francona said. ''I think what he actually did was he dug in and tried to figure out, `OK, what makes me a good pitcher and why?' And I think he probably got to it quicker than the rest of us.''

Buchholz spent more time going back and forth to the bullpen, with 21 starts and 16 relief appearances. But he returned to the rotation in September and went 3-0, allowing two runs or fewer in four of his last five starts.

''He's had a resurgence of his own right inside the season,'' Red Sox manager John Farrell said. ''I don't think anyone can fully appreciate all that he's been through this year. (He) needed a little bit of a breather from the rotation, worked out some issues while going to the bullpen and has returned and is pitching some of the best baseball, I think, in his career.''

The Red Sox had a meeting on Saturday - players and coaches - after arriving at Fenway, and Buchholz said the team needed a reminder of what brought it so much success this season.

''We're here because of everybody and what they've done throughout this year,'' he said. ''We have a potential couple of MVP candidates, potential Cy Young candidate on this team. We're a really good ballclub and there's no need to put added pressure or added stress on one game because of what could happen.''

Across the diamond, the Indians were loose - thanks to their two-game lead.

Francona arrived in the media interview room at the same time as Tomlin and promptly rearranged the schedule to let his pitcher go first. He then asked him, ''Are you getting a Texas-to-English translator?''

When Tomlin stuck around to watch his manager's interview, Francona said something nice about the 31-year-old pitcher and then said, ''I think I'm going to throw up.''

Even with the joking around, reliever Andrew Miller said the team knows it still has work to do.

''We can't take our foot off the gas,'' he said. ''We're not celebrating at this point.''

Game 4 would be Monday night at Fenway, if necessary, with Game 5 back in Cleveland on Wednesday.

Until then, Tomlin and Buchholz won't be having any meals together.

''Yeah, I'll text him tonight,'' Tomlin said. ''Not tomorrow. But the next day after that? Yeah.''

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graticle
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com