Cnotes MLB 2019 Spring Traning News Notes and Rumors !

Search

Tokens
Tigers finalize 1-year deal with INF/OF Josh Harrison
February 23, 2019
By The Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) The Detroit Tigers have finalized their one-year deal with free agent Josh Harrison.

Harrison, whose base salary will be worth $2 million, hit .250 with eight home runs and 37 RBIs last year. He missed time early in the season with a hand injury and played just 97 games.

Harrison spent his first eight major league seasons with Pittsburgh. He's played second base, third base, shortstop and in the outfield.

Harrison hit a career-high 16 home runs in 2017.

Tokens
Astros' Hinch: Early split squads 'worst possible scenario'
February 23, 2019
By The Associated Press

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) A quirk in Houston's early spring training schedule will force manager A. J. Hinch to use veteran stars such as outfielders George Springer and Michael Brantley earlier than he'd like.

Hinch isn't pleased that his Astros will play split-squad games - at the New York Mets, home vs. Atlanta - on Sunday, the second day of their Grapefruit League play.

''Tomorrow we have a split squad, which is probably the worst possible scenario for the beginning of camp because I don't really love playing guys this early,'' Hinch said. ''As we push the season earlier - into March now - spring training games, now it feels like mid-February, and we're revving guys up. The position players don't need as long a time to get ready for a season.''

The 2017 World Series champion Astros field a veteran team and many of those guys entered camp with injury questions. Using the designated hitter spot as sort of a half day off, one of Hinch's toughest tasks, especially early in spring, will be choosing who gets those at-bats.

Springer, a two-time All-Star and the 2017 World Series MVP who is coming off a thumb injury, will make his debut on Sunday as a designated hitter. Brantley, a three-time All-Star who signed with Houston as a free agent, will DH the other game and won't play the field for at least a week. The 10-year veteran played 141 games last season but only 101 combined games in 2016-17 because of injuries.

Returning from offseason knee surgery, 2017 AL MVP Jose Altuve won't debut until Monday, when he'll DH instead of playing second base.

''We have a predominantly veteran team that's been around,'' Hinch said. ''We have a team where there's few questions and outside of a few health questions and a few decisions we have to make there's not a lot of stress going into this spring as to what we need to implement.''

Saturday night's lineup for the Astros' Grapefruit League opener against Washington wasn't exactly indicative of the team Hinch intends to field when Houston opens the season on March 28 at Tampa Bay, lacking any regulars from last season.

Outfielder Jake Marisnick, the closest thing to a regular in the lineup, led off the game by homering against Max Scherzer. Derek Fisher and Kyle Tucker completed the started outfield while the Astros regulars watched from the dugout.

''I have to play them tomorrow,'' Hinch said. ''Springer will player tomorrow, (Josh) Reddick will play tomorrow. Yuli (Gurriel) will play tomorrow. Everybody that you recognize is on our team will likely play tomorrow, minus the infielders.''

Third baseman Alex Bregman, who underwent offseason elbow surgery, isn't expected to make his Grapefruit League debut until the weekend. Unlike his other teammates, Bregman won't be eased back into Grapefruit League play by starting at DH.

''He'll play third base as soon as he's ready,'' Hinch said.

Tokens
Anderson, Davies hoping to return to form with Brewers
February 23, 2019
By The Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. (AP) So far, all the talk about the Milwaukee Brewers adding a front-line starting pitcher has turned into absolutely nothing.

If Chase Anderson and Zach Davies can return to form, they might not need one.

Anderson, Davies and Jimmy Nelson were three of Milwaukee's top pitchers in 2017, but they were spectators for much of the Brewers' run to the NL Championship Series last year. Anderson was left off the postseason roster after he surrendered an NL-high 30 homers. Davies made just one relief appearance in the playoffs, and Nelson missed the whole season following surgery on his right shoulder.

Without Anderson, Davies and Nelson, manager Craig Counsell leaned heavily on his powerful bullpen last October. He might not have to do that as much this year if Anderson's mechanical adjustments pay off and Davies and Nelson can stay on the field.

''It's exciting, and I think the front office knows that, too,'' Davies said. ''I think they see that having down years and having injured years last year collectively that everybody comes back healthy and you know, Jimmy's going to start to get into some games and start to feel ready to get back. So I think the front office sees that. I think we see it as a group too that we're all excited for it.''

Anderson and Davies each pitched an inning in Milwaukee's spring opener Saturday against the Chicago Cubs. Anderson yielded a two-run homer to Kris Bryant in the first, and Davies retired the side in order in the second.

The 31-year-old Anderson had a breakout season in 2017, going 12-4 with a 2.74 ERA in 25 starts. But the right-hander had some trouble with his motion last year and was never able to get on track.

His final numbers - a 9-8 record and a 3.93 ERA in 30 starts - weren't too bad, but Anderson was disappointed. And he turned that disappointment into motivation for this year.

''That kind of fueled me in the offseason,'' Anderson said. ''It's kind have been my lifespan in baseball. I've been the underdog a little bit.''

Anderson has made some changes to his delivery, bringing his hands over his head to help keep them moving during his motion. He also is staying on top of the rubber to help his hips stay in the right place.

He was a little up on the pitch Bryant drove over the wall in left-center, but felt good about his first day.

''I was in the zone. That's the goal for your first outing is stay in the zone, come out healthy,'' he said. ''I felt like everything was crisp. The rhythm is starting to get going.''

Davies led the Brewers with 17 wins, 33 starts and 191 1/3 innings two years ago. He was hampered by injuries last season and finished with a 2-7 record and a 4.77 ERA in 13 starts.

Davies, who turned 26 on Feb. 7, and Anderson are part of a crowded field of candidates for Milwaukee's rotation. Nelson, Jhoulys Chacin, Brandon Woodruff, Corbin Burnes and Freddy Peralta also are in the mix.

However it shakes out, Davies thinks the Brewers will be in good shape.

''Innings, health and consistency is really what pitching is, and so I think as a group that's what all of us focus on,'' he said. ''You don't have to be the 300 strikeouts a year or the guy that throws 250 innings but as long as you're out there and giving the team a chance to win then that's really all you can ask for.''

Tokens
Sunday’s 6-pack

Before the Manny Machado signing, these were the six highest contracts ever given to a position player:

$325M Giancarlo Stanton

$248M Miguel Cabrera

$240M Albert Pujols

$240M Robinson Cano

$225M Joey Votto

$214M Prince Fielder

Total number of World Series games for these six guys after signing: Zero

Quote of the Day
“I think the Baltimore payroll was double what the Tampa payroll was last year. Close to double. There is a correlation, I’m sure there is a correlation, but it’s not as perfect. It’s very difficult to predict things in baseball, to predict player performance. Spending more money helps.”
Red Sox owner John Henry

Sunday’s quiz
How many current NBA head coaches have also been the head coach of a D-I college team?

Saturday’s quiz
Galen Center is USC’s home court for basketball.

Friday’s quiz
Gene Bartow replaced John Wooden as the basketball coach at UCLA; his son Murry is the interim coach at UCLA this season.

Sunday’s List of 13: Wrapping up a sports Saturday

13) Ole Miss is having a surprisingly good basketball season under first-year coach Kermit Davis; they were 18-8, 8-5 in the SEC heading into Saturday’s game with a Georgia team that had covered only one of its six SEC road games. Rebels seemed like a good bet at -11.

Except for this: during the day Saturday, about a mile from Ole Miss’ new arena, there was a pro-Confederate rally going on at Oxford Square. This is 2019, and there was a pro-Confederate rally going on in broad daylight. Awesome.

During the national anthem before the basketball game, eight Rebels took a knee to protest this rally going on. Captain Obvious reports that the Ole Miss team was distracted during this game; they blew a 13-point lead, took the lead again, and wound up hanging on for a 72-71 win.

Moral to story: I’d be wary of wagering on Ole Miss in home games going forward; hard to believe this issue is gong away anytime soon. It is one thing to take a knee in San Francisc0; whole ‘nother thing to do it in Oxford, Mississippi.

Feel bad for coach Davis; this is a mess that has nothing to do with him, but it ain’t going to be easy to clean up, no matter what the outcome is. Good luck with your recruiting when stuff like that is going on in your town.

12) 12-2pm:
— Virginia 64, Louisville 52- In first half, Cardinals were 10-16 on arc, 1-9 inside arc; in second half, Louisville was 2-17 on arc, 4-13 inside arc- they were outscored 37-15.
— LSU 82, Tennessee 80, OT— Tigers’ PG Tremont Waters (illness) sat this game out; refs in this game went to replay monitor constantly, Dick Vitale was, ummm….not happy about it.
— Oklahoma 69, Texas 67— Sooners (-4) led by 17 early in second half.

11) 2-4pm:
— TCU 75, Iowa State 72— Cyclones lost three of last four games; they’re in a funk.
— UMass 80, St Joe’s 79— Visiting Hawks led by 17 at the half.
— Kentucky 80, Auburn 53— Tigers started this season 11-2, but they’re 2-5 on SEC road. Disappointing for a team that is in top 40 in country in experience.

10) 4-6pm:
— North Carolina 77, Florida State 59— This snaps Seminoles’ 8-game win streak; not sure how good FSU is- they did beat LSU and Purdue in November.
— Dayton 70, Saint Louis 62— Flyers are 18-9, 10-4 in A-14; they’re in 3rd place right now. Top four in A-14 will have an easier path in A-14 tournament.
— Utah State 78, Boise State 71 OT— Big win for Aggies, whose next two games are San Diego State/Nevada. Need to at least split that pair to stay on/near bubble.

9) 6-8pm:
— Duke 75, Syracuse 65— Orangemen led by 5 at half, but were 5-23 on the arc.
— Oregon State 67, USC 62— Beavers go 3-1 against the LA schools this season.
— South Dakota State 94, South Dakota 89— Jackrabbits were down 11 at the half.

8) 8-10pm
— Texas Tech 91, Kansas 62— This game was 45-20 at the half. Wow.
— St John’s 78, Seton Hall 70— Red Storm led this game 28-5 out of the gate.
— Memphis 88, Wichita State 85— Wichita led this game by 16 early, then Memphis went on a great run, then Shockers tied it, but Tigers held on late. #3 on Memphis will play in the NBA soon; #3 on Wichita State is 3-37 on the arc this year. 3 for bleeping 37.

7) 10pm-midnight:
— UCLA 90, Oregon 83— Ducks led by 19 early in the second half, second time this season they blew a huge lead to the Bruins.
— Wisconsin 69, Northwestern 64— Badgers outscored Northwestern 11-5 over final 4:05.
— San Diego State 60, UNLV 59— Ugly last minute; Rebels missed three of their last five foul shots. UNLV rallied back from down 12, but couldn’t finish the job.

6) Upsets of the Day:
— Cleveland State (+16) 83, Northern Kentucky 77
— James Madison (+14.5) 104, Hofstra 99 OT

— FIU (+6) 79, Florida Atlantic 76
— Harvard (+6) 88, Yale 86
— UAB (+5.5) 76, Southern Miss 72 OT
— Central Michigan (+5.5) 64, Ball State 57
— Duquesne (+5.5) 79, George Mason 78
— Texas A&M (+5.5) 87, Arkansas 80

5) Baylor 82, West Virginia 75— Mountaineers called a timeout down 1 with 2:06 left; when they inbounded the ball after the timeout, they had six players on the court- not good.

Baylor outscored WVU 16-5 over the last 2:50 of the game; they won despite Makai Mason going 0-7 from floor. In Mason’s last four games, he is 5-30 from the floor, with two games missed mixed in during that time. Have to assume that Mason’s toe injury is still bothering him.

4) NHL’s Rangers beat New Jersey 5-2 during the afternoon in Madison Square Garden, then at night, St John’s played Seton Hall. Wonder how many people went to both games?

3) One of my pet peeves when I watch college basketball is play-by-play announcers who think they’re analysts too; there are some guys who never shut up. The play-by-play guy should be the point guard, who sets up the analyst (the basketball expert) to show his expertise.

2) Oregon State 67, USC 62— Beavers were 15-19 on the foul line, USC was 0-6. At home. In Thursday’s loss at UCLA, OSU was 1-3 on the line, UCLA 15-28. Go figure.

1) Bulls 126, Celtics 116— Zach LaVine and Lauri Markkanen are first pair of Bulls teammates with 35+ points in the same game since Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen on November 20, 1996.

Tokens
Tuesday’s 6-pack

From Jason on Twitter: NFL leaders in dead money, from 2016-2019:

1. Bills- $125M

2. Browns- $111M

3. Saints- $102M

4. 49ers- $82M

5. Giants- $80M

6. Jets- $71M

Dead money is cap money that is left over after a contract is terminated/voided.

Quote of the Day
“I don’t think there’s negotiation here. As players, it just shouldn’t be in the game. Having a pitch clock, if you have ball-strike implications, that’s messing with the fabric of the game. There’s no clock in baseball, and there’s no clock in baseball for a reason.”
Max Scherzer

Tuesday’s quiz

What team did Max Scherzer break into the major leagues with?

Monday’s quiz
Of the eight head coaches in the AAF, five have also been NFL head coaches.

Sunday’s quiz
Three current NBA head coaches have also been the head coach of a D-I college team; Billy Donovan, Quin Snyder and Brad Stevens

Tuesday’s List of 13: Nobody asked me, but……

13) John S. Middleton owns 48% of the Philadelphia Phillies; he went to college at Amherst and then Harvard Business School, so he is a very smart human.

His family owned a retail tobacco shop in Philadelphia that evolved into a manufacturer and marketer of pipe tobacco and cigars; Middleton wound up selling the company for $2.9B, thats billion, with a B.

12) Middleton flew to Las Vegas this past weekend to try and help recruit Bryce Harper to play for the Phillies. Harper still hasn’t decided; spring training has been going on for a week.

If I’m Mr Middleton, I tell Harper and his scumweasel agent; enough already. You have one more hour to decide, either sign with us or we move on. Begging someone to take $300M isn’t cool. Sign on the dotted line or we’ll go in a different direction.

Regular season starts in 30 days; time to make a decision.

11) A 71-year old man in California was convicted of a double murder 40 years ago, but it turns out the guy didn’t do it, so he was released from prison in 2017, and was recently awarded $21M in a settlement with the city of Simi Valley.

What do you if you’ve been in jail for the last 40 years and all of a sudden you’re not only free, but rich as hell? Would make an interesting movie.

10) For 11 months out of 12, weekday television completely sucks; ESPN has hired so many nitwit talking heads it is difficult to keep them all straight. There is a lot of political talk on TV but that pretty much makes me want to puke. So during the day, it is either movies or music.

Except for the next month, when preseason baseball games are on TV every day, and that is a great thing. Who cares that the games don’t matter? It is live baseball; nothing wrong with that.

9) Saw Tim Tebow play baseball for first time over the weekend; he looked decent as a hitter. a lefty, he lined out to left one time, and then he hit a pretty good drive to left-center, but the CF for Houston made a great diving catch, saving a double or a triple. Sounds like he will start this season at AAA Syracuse; will be interesting to follow.

8) Giants-Cubs spring training game this weekend drew 9,277 fans in Scottsdale; spring training has become very popular. One of these years I may have to venture out to the desert to see some baseball. I’m guessing A’s spring training games don’t draw 9,000+.

7) This season is the Cincinnati Reds’ 150th anniversary; to celebrate, the Reds will wear fifteen different throwback uniforms. Thats right, 15 different sets of uniforms. Hopefully they’re giving their equipment guys a bonus for keeping all of that straight.

6) Looking ahead to conference tournament play in a couple weeks; Iona is 16-2 in its last 18 MAAC tournament games. Gonzaga has won its last 17 WCC tournament games; last time the Zags didn’t win the WCC tournament was in 2012, when they lost to Saint Mary’s.

5) Nets 101, Spurs 85— San Antonio has now lost seven of its last eight games; last time they missed the playoffs was 1996-97, the season Gregg Popovich replaced Bob Hill as head coach. Right now, San Antonio is 33-29, but seem headed in the wrong direction- if the season ended today, they’d be the #8 seed in the West.

4) It was so windy in beautiful upstate New York Monday, I fully expected to see the Wicked Witch of the West riding past my house on her bicycle, with a bunch of monkeys flying above (obscure movie reference— the Wizard of Oz). Very cold, but mercifully, no damage around my house and even better, no snow.

3) In the AAF, there are no kickoffs; if you want to “onside kick”, you have a 4th-and-12 on your own 28-yard line, and the game progresses from there. Happened for the first time this past week, and the team converted the first down, so they kept the ball.

2) Stumbled across one of my favorite movies this weekend; Searching for Bobby Fischer, a movie about a little kid who is a chess prodigy, starring Joe Mantegna as the kid’s father and Ben Kingsley/Lawrence Fishburne as the kid’s chess mentors.

If you ever get a chance to see this movie, it is worth your time.

1) Thanks to WeTV for running a Law and Order marathon every Sunday night; it came in especially handy after the Super Bowl, when I didn’t exactly feel like watching SportsCenter that night. One of the best TV shows ever made, Law and Order was on for 20 years; 456 episodes.

Tokens
Roberts: Kershaw "didn't feel so great"
February 25, 2019
By The Associated Press

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) Clayton Kershaw felt more soreness in his left shoulder playing catch Monday, and Dodgers manager Dave Roberts says the three-time Cy Young Award winner ''didn't feel so great.''

The ace left-hander was shut down late last week with discomfort in the shoulder. Roberts says the team will ''take a step back until he starts feeling better'' and the situation is ''not ideal.''

Kershaw was not scheduled for an MRI when Roberts spoke to reporters, but the manager added he would be in touch with the medical staff to determine a course of action Monday evening.

The 30-year-old Kershaw signed a $93 million, three-year extension on Nov. 3. The seven-time All-Star has been slowed by injuries the past two seasons, including a lower back strain that sidelined him for five weeks in 2017, biceps tendinitis in May 2018 and a lower back strain in June 2018.

During the recent offseason, Kershaw worked with Dodgers' strength and conditioning coach Brandon McDaniel and felt physically fit when he reported to camp two weeks ago.

Tokens
Harper meets Dodgers, still no decision
February 25, 2019
By The Associated Press

Bryce Harper meets with the Los Angeles Dodgers and the very next day, a Brinks truck is parked right outside the team's spring training complex.

Coincidence or correlation?

With the first full week of exhibition games on deck, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts confirmed he joined club executives in meeting with Harper in Las Vegas on Sunday night.

Roberts said it was a good session and gave the sides a chance to ''get to know each other.'' Roberts says the Dodgers were ''vetting a certain process.''

Harper has been connected to the Philadelphia Phillies and the San Francisco Giants during a second consecutive slow free-agent market for the sport. Manny Machado, the other top free agent this winter, signed a $300 million, 10-year deal with the San Diego Padres on Thursday.

The 26-year-old Harper was the 2015 NL MVP and made six All-Star teams in seven big league seasons with the Washington Nationals. He batted .249 with 34 home runs, 100 RBIs and an .889 OPS last season.

Tokens
Tulowitzki homers in 1st game for Yanks
February 25, 2019
By The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) Troy Tulowitzki got some payback against the Toronto Blue Jays in his first spring training at-bat for the New York Yankees.

Tulowitzki homered on his first swing in a Yankees uniform and jawed at the Blue Jays dugout after rounding third base following his drive Monday off Marcus Stroman, a friend and former teammate.

''You know what happened, so no doubt about it, it was definitely extra, extra special,'' Tulowitzki said after the Yankees' 3-0 win. ''That was a team that basically told me I couldn't play anymore. It is spring training, it is what it is, but it was a big day for me.''

A five-time All-Star, who has not played in the major leagues since July 2017, Tulowitzki missed last season because of surgery on April 2 for bone spurs in his right and left heels. He was released by the Blue Jays on Dec. 14, then signed with the Yankees on Jan. 4 for the major league minimum $555,000. That will be offset against the $20 million he is owed this year by Toronto, which also is responsible for $18 million in future years.

He took a strike from Stroman leading off the bottom of the first, then homered down the right-field line on the next pitch, an opposite-field drive just inside the foul pole.

''It's the biggest spring training homer I've ever hit,'' a smiling Tulowitzki said. ''With that being said, I got a little pumped up there. People said I'll never make it back on a baseball field again. Anybody that tells you you're done, you've a little extra fire.''

Tulowitzki's five-year son Taz, who was at the game, was a motivating factor during dad's rehabilitation from surgery.

''He was 3 the last time he was watching games, and he doesn't remember that,'' Tulowitzki said. ''To get back out there and have him see me again, that what I thought about each and every day.''

A smiling Stroman said Tulowitzki homering off him is ''not going to happen in-season, I promise you that.''

''Tulo, I can't tell you how much work he's put in to get back to healthy,'' Stroman said. ''I've kind of been with him through a lot of that process. I couldn't be more ecstatic or more happy for someone than him because I've learned so much about the game of baseball and so much about life from that man.

''That's my guy,'' Stroman added. ''I would always love to compete with him. I would always prefer him on my team. I'm excited to see him somewhere being healthy, back out there doing that Tulo can do.''

Now 34, Tulowitzki is projected to start at shortstop while Didi Gregorius recovers from Tommy John surgery last Oct. 17. Gregorius is expected to return to the Yankees between June and August.

''He definitely seemed a little fired up,'' Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. ''Look, he's had that kind of edge to him, something to prove really since we put eyes on him this winter. Happy for him because I know this day was a big deal.''

Tokens
All eyes on Kikuchi during his debut
February 25, 2019
By The Associated Press

PEORIA, Ariz. (AP) Yusei Kikuchi felt the nerves Monday that would normally accompany taking the mound in front of tens of thousands of fans in a major ballpark, not the few thousand who showed up for a spring training game in the desert.

''I've been pitching in Japan for the last nine years and I wanted to test what I was doing in Japan against major league hitters and I wanted to see how they reacted,'' Kikuchi said through an interpreter. ''So I was really kind of excited and also nervous about that.''

Kikuchi made his debut for the Seattle Mariners throwing two innings against the Cincinnati Reds in a start that featured a little bit of everything, from moments of dominance to Kikuchi working out of a jam.

The Mariners were pleased with what they saw.

''He had a little nerves, no doubt about it, but fastball was really good, he was up to 95 (mph), the breaking pitches we know are outstanding. Thought he handled it really, really well,'' Seattle manager Scott Servais said. ''He's going to take a little time to get his routine. You saw him throwing outside the dugout before, there's a few adjustments there, but really happy for him getting that first outing under his belt.''

Kikuchi's most notable at-bat was his lone strikeout, when he tied up Joey Votto on a deceptive 2-2 curveball that left the veteran slugger waving unsuccessfully. While Kikuchi has a fastball in the mid-90s, his breaking pitches and the ability to hide the ball in his windup add to the challenges of facing the lefty.

''It's spring training and I'm sure he's tuning up his swing as well but to strike out someone the caliber of Joey Votto, a hitter of that caliber, I'm really happy about the result of today,'' Kikuchi said.

The rest of the outing forced Kikuchi to do a little bit of everything. He had to scamper off the mound to cover first base on a groundout by Yasiel Puig. He faced the challenge of traffic on the bases after a rough second inning that featured a leadoff walk, two errors and giving up two runs - although both were unearned.

Kikuchi threw 29 pitches with 19 strikes, the first step in a transitional season.

''Obviously, when you're up on the mound you want to shut them down one, two, three when you're up there but after I let some guys on today I think I was able to keep my pitch count low and get some double play balls so I'm happy with what I did,'' Kikuchi said.

One of the biggest adjustments will be Kikuchi's pregame routine. Servais noted Kikuchi was on the field nearly an hour before first pitch and still figuring out the timing led to Kikuchi playing catch in front of the dugout several minutes before the team took the field.

''What we wanted to do is let him go through his normal routine,'' Servais said. ''He was out here probably 50, 55 minutes before the game started. That's what he normally does and over time, that's why we've got the four, five outings through spring to tighten up that routine and as the season goes on it will be a learning curve for him as well.''

The first outing for Kikuchi was documented from all angles by Asian photographers following his every move, from his warmup in the bullpen to the scrum after his outing with dozens of reporters.

Seattle wants to limit Kikuchi's innings during the regular season and make the first-year transition from pitching in Japan less arduous. But the Mariners also need to build up Kikuchi so he is ready to take on a starter's load when his innings won't be limited.

Kikuchi said he hadn't been told what comes next, but he's likely to get his second start sometime this weekend.

''It's my first start and I felt really good throwing the ball. Going into the game I was a little nervous, obviously, but it ended up well,'' Kikuchi said.

Tokens
Verlander, Syndergaard sharp early
February 25, 2019
By The Associated Press

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) A brief high velocity matchup between Houston's Justin Verlander and the New York Mets' Noah Syndergaard overshadowed Jose Altuve's first spring training appearance for the Astros.

Verlander pitched two perfect innings on a cloudy and blustery afternoon, striking out one and getting five fly-ball outs. Reaching 96 mph, Verlander threw 20 of 25 pitches for strikes Monday, concentrating on his changeup and pitching inside to right-handed batters. The 2011 AL MVP was happy with four of his seven changeups.

''That's a pitch that I am trying to throw more,'' the 2011 AL MVP said.

Syndergaard opened with three consecutive 98 mph fastballs and allowed first-inning hits to George Springer and Josh Reddick. Syndergaard struck out the final two hitters of his two-inning outing, including Robinson Chirinos on a 99 mph fastball.

''It felt really good,'' said Syndergaard, who's missed significant time during the past two seasons because of injuries. ''It felt like my arm strength was free and easy. It's encouraging to see some swing and misses on my four-seam fastball up in the zone.''

Syndergaard mixed change-ups and sliders with four-seam fastballs, throwing 18 of 23 pitches for strikes. He purposely elected not to throw a curveball, saving it for later games.

He's concentrating more on his four-seam fastball than his two-seamer, which often was too much over the plate last season.

''I just kind of fell in love with it because it's an artsy pitch,'' Syndergaard said of the two-seamer. ''It's cool to throw, especially when you can harness it and throw it the right way.''

Altuve flied out and popped up. Struggling through a late-season knee injury that required offseason surgery, the 2017 MVP only hit .316 last season, recording 169 hits - the first time in five years he didn't lead the American League in that category.

''It was good to get back on the field,'' Altuve said. ''Not pretty good results for me today, but I'm happy to have my first two at-bats for the spring.''

Tokens
Rockies, Arenado agree to $260M deal
February 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

DENVER (AP) Nolan Arenado likes where he's at and the direction the Colorado Rockies are headed.

So he's staying put. For possibly a long, long time. And for a chance to finish what this team has been brewing.

The All-Star third baseman and Rockies agreed to an eight-year contract on Tuesday, and a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press the deal is worth $260 million. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the dollar value hasn't been publicly announced.

Arenado's agreement includes a provision that allows him to opt out after three years and become a free agent.

Arenado's $32.5 million average annual value is the second-highest in baseball history behind the $34.42 million for pitcher Zack Greinke in a $206.5 million contract with Arizona that began in 2016. Arenado's deal replaces a $26 million, one-year contract he agreed to Jan. 31.

Arenado, who turns 28 on April 16, was on track to be eligible for free agency after this season. But there's comfort in remaining at Coors Field, especially in these uncertain days of free agency that have seen Manny Machado unsigned until last week and Bryce Harper still searching for a team with exhibition games underway.

That hasn't been lost on Arenado, who recently said: ''There are some really good baseball players out there, and it is crazy to think some of these teams don't need them. They need them.''

The Rockies are trending up after making the postseason in back-to-back seasons, a franchise first. Even more, they nearly captured the team's first NL West title before losing in a tiebreaker at Los Angeles in Game No. 163. The Rockies advanced by beating the Chicago Cubs in the NL wild-card game. They were swept by Milwaukee in the Division Series after hitting .146 against the Brewers and scoring in just one of 28 innings.

New season. A new chapter for a team that's been to the World Series just once - in 2007, when the Rockies were swept by Boston.

Known for his big bat and his highlight-reel plays at third, Arenado has been the face of the franchise for years. He's earned a Gold Glove in each of his six major league seasons. A second-round pick by the Rockies in the 2009 amateur draft, Arenado is a career .291 hitter with 186 home runs, 616 RBIs and an .886 OPS.

In 2018, Arenado batted .297 with an NL-leading 38 homers last season, finishing third in MVP voting.

''Obviously, they wanted to keep a homegrown player with them,'' Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. ''It's a nice deal for him and a nice deal for the team. So it is good for the game and it makes our job a lot tougher.''

This marked the second deal worked out by the front office this week. The team also announced a three-year contract extension for manager Bud Black through 2022.

Over the offseason, the Rockies gave their offense a boost by bringing in Daniel Murphy to play first base. That means Ian Desmond will head to the outfield. They'll rely heavily on youngsters such as Garrett Hampson, Ryan McMahon or Brendan Rodgers at second base after the departure of DJ LeMahieu to the New York Yankees. Colorado boasts a young rotation led by Kyle Freeland and German Marquez that's filled with promise.

Arenado, though, will be the driving force.

''It's pretty safe to say he makes every team he's on even better,'' outfielder Charlie Blackmon said in the offseason of Arenado's presence. ''I really hope that's with the Rockies for years and years to come.''

That sentiment became a reality.

Tokens
Cubs' Darvish excited by spring debut
February 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. (AP) After dealing with various arm injuries and trying to adjust to a new team, Yu Darvish was pleased with his spring debut. Pumped, in fact.

Darvish may have walked four and lasted only 1 1/3 innings Tuesday for the Chicago Cubs, but it was an important start for him.

''This is like my first outing in my life,'' Darvish said. ''I haven't thrown the last seven months. I was so excited.''

Darvish faced the Arizona Diamondbacks in his first game since a minor league rehab start last August for Class A South Bend. He had signed a six-year, $126 million contract with the Cubs last February, but battled injuries and was limited to eight starts before he was shut down. He was sidelined with right triceps tendinitis and then diagnosed in August with a stress reaction in his right elbow, which led to arthroscopic surgery in September.

So by that measure, this spring performance was a success.

''I felt pretty good physically. No pain, that was a huge part,'' Darvish said.

Another change - now he's joking in English, opting not to use a translator this season.

''Interpreters are expensive for the organization, right? That's why,'' Darvish said. ''It's good for me, too. I have experience with you guys and I can use more English.''

Said Cubs manager Joe Maddon: ''He appears to be much more relaxed and definitely into the flow of things.''

''He's been throwing really well. Conversationally, he's much more at ease,'' Maddon said.

Darvish threw 19 pitches against five D-backs hitters in the first inning at Sloan Park, and got only one swing and miss, then had to wait while the Cubs sent nine batters to the plate in a four-run first.

In the second, Darvish threw 17 pitches to three batters before he was lifted. He walked four in 1 1/3 innings.

When Darvish made that rehab outing in South Bend, his fastball registered at 86-89 mph. On Tuesday, his fastballs were between 94-96 mph.

''Yeah, it was a great day for me,'' he said.

His teammates have noticed Darvish seems happier.

''I feel I'm smiling more than the last seven years,'' Darvish said.

NOTES: Cubs INF David Bote, hit in the helmet by a pitch from Giants ace Madison Bumgarner on Sunday, was expected to return to action on Wednesday. Bumgarner called Bote after the game and also sent him a text message the next day. ''He definitely did not have to do that but he did and it means a lot,'' Bote said. ... LHP Mike Montgomery, who has yet to appear in a game, threw a bullpen on Tuesday. The Cubs will wait two days to see the next step for Montgomery, who is going through a ''dead arm'' phase. ... Chicago OF Jason Heyward was a late scratch from Tuesday's lineup for personal reasons. ... An MRI revealed that Arizona outfielder Jarrod Dyson has a left oblique strain.

Tokens
Cards, Mikolas agree to 4-year extension
February 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) Three days after being announced as the Cardinals opening-day starter, Miles Mikolas agreed to stay in St. Louis much longer.

St. Louis and the All-Star right-hander agreed to a $68 million, four-year contract covering 2020-23, a deal announced Tuesday that raises his pay to $75.5 million over the next five seasons.

''Going forward in my baseball career there isn't a team that I can see myself as a better fit and no team that I'd rather see myself playing for than the St. Louis Cardinals,'' Mikolas said.

St. Louis made the announcement at the Cardinals spring training facility, a few miles from where Mikolas played his high school baseball. Growing up he attended many St. Louis spring training games.

The 30-year-old is getting $7.5 million this year as part of a contract he signed before the 2018 season. He would have been eligible for free agency after this year's World Series.

He gets a $5 million signing bonus, of which $1 million is payable within 30 days of the contact's approval by the commissioner's office and $1 million each Jan. 15 from 2020-23. He gets $15.75 million salaries annually from 2020-23, and if he pitches 200 innings this year his pay under the new deal would increase by $500,000 each season.

Mikolas returned from three seasons with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan's Central League and tied for the NL lead in wins, going 18-4 with a 2.83 ERA.

''Clearly, how Miles pitched last year, he ended up being the anchor of our rotation,'' St. Louis president of baseball operations John Mozeliak said. ''I think when you combine his skill with his leadership and really his ability to help mentor young players it just seemed like as we looked to the future he was that natural person to take that next step to carry that for the St. Louis Cardinals.''

If Mikolas' 2019 performance is similar to what he did last year, he likely would have received far more as a free agent next offseason. Free agent pitcher Patrick Corbin received a $140 million, six-year contract from Washington as a free agent this offseason.

A seventh-round selection by San Diego in the 2009 amateur draft, Mikolas pitched in relief for the Padres in parts of the 2012 and 2013 before being traded to Pittsburgh and then Texas. When the Rangers released Mikolas following the 2014 seasons he headed to Japan.

''That was a leap saying, hey, I'm going to go there and I'm going to be the best Japanese baseball player I can be and see where that leads me.'' Mikolas said.

He went 31-13 record with a 2.18 ERA for the Giants, then signed a two-year deal with St. Louis that guaranteed $15.5 million and includes an escalator for innings that boosted this year's salary by $1 million.

''He fits in so well with our team,'' St. Louis pitcher Adam Wainwright said. ''His mentality is perfect for starting pitching, perfect for the grind of an entire long season. Keeps things light in the clubhouse, very focused on the mound. He's all you can ask for from a teammate.''

Mikolas only walked 29 in 200 2/3 innings last season while striking out 146.

''I think he hasn't really learned how to be a strikeout pitcher yet,'' Wainwright said. ''He's such a strike thrower that it's almost hard for him to get it out of the zone. What a great problem that is to have, right?''

Tokens
Nevada declines MLB betting request
February 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

LAS VEGAS (AP) A request from Major League Baseball to gambling regulators to ban betting on spring training games was quickly rejected in Nevada and is under consideration in at least three other states that recently legalized sports betting.

The league asked for the ban on Wednesday last week - the day before the first scheduled spring training game - arguing in letters to regulators that the exhibition games are ''more vulnerable to manipulation'' because teams are focused on getting players ready for the season, not on winning. MLB said its concerns have grown because of the spread of legal sports gambling after a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court last year opened the possibility of new American markets.

The games have historically attracted little to no betting action in Nevada, where casinos in Las Vegas and elsewhere have taken bets on spring training games for decades.

MLB's deputy general counsel Bryan Seeley argued the risk is ''particularly acute'' during spring training because many players are not on the roster and don't make much money.

''Spring Training games provide greater opportunity for the misuse of inside information,'' he wrote in his request. ''The outcome of games sometimes depends heavily on non-public managerial decisions that are made in advance and are independent of Club or player performance, such as how many innings a pitcher will throw or in which inning Minor League players will replace Major League players.''

The Nevada Gaming Control Board responded the following day, saying sportsbooks across the state have controls in place to minimize concerns about players potentially fixing bets and haven't had any problems with spring training.

Board chairwoman Sandra Morgan said Nevada's sportsbooks have served as the ''alarm bell'' when something was amiss with sporting events and related wagers.

Nevada's effective monopoly on sports betting ended last spring with the Supreme Court backing a challenge from New Jersey to a ban in most of the country. Casinos in seven other states now accept wagers on sports, and the list is expected to grow with at least 22 states considering bills this year.

Pennsylvania received a similar request from Major League Baseball and quickly called a timeout.

''We acknowledge the concerns they raised concerning sports wagering on spring training games and we are examining these concerns,'' said Doug Harbach, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board. ''While we do this, we have requested Pennsylvania sports wagering operators to refrain from offering wagers on spring training games.''

Sportsbooks in Mississippi are accepting bets on the games. The executive director of the Mississippi Gaming Commission, Allen Godfrey, said he has not responded to MLB.

New Jersey is reviewing the league's request.

The Westgate Las Vegas Superbook had 10 spring training games on the board Tuesday. Jay Kornegay, vice president of race and sports book operations, said of the 20 teams, only two had more than $200 wagered and none had more than $300 in total action. Some teams didn't have a single bet by early afternoon, when most games begin.

No team had more than two tickets written for straight bets. In parlays, no team had more than 10 tickets.

The limits for bets on spring training games at the Westgate are $1,000 on the side and $500 on the total. The sportsbook does not take wagers on split-squad games.

Kornegay said the betting action in the games is traditionally so low that it would be very easy to detect unusual patterns.

''It's grocery dollars on these games because it is very minimal,'' he said. ''If there was any suspicious activity on these games, it would stick out like snow in Vegas.''

Veteran oddsmaker Jimmy Vaccaro said spring training wagers usually are only offered to ''appease'' some patrons and give them other options. But action is ''basically none.''

''I don't think they wake up in the morning and go to the sportsbook just to bet on the Seattle Mariners' exhibition game,'' said Vaccaro, now the director of sports relations for Rivers Casino Pittsburgh.

Tokens
Hosmer feels different vibe with Padres
February 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

PEORIA, Ariz. (AP) Eric Hosmer has been able to focus strictly on baseball this offseason and he likes what he sees with the suddenly dynamic San Diego Padres.

Hosmer arrived at spring training last year after signing a $144 million, eight-year contract as a free agent. The buzz generated by his signing didn't last long as he struggled in his first season with the Padres, who lost 96 games and finished last in the NL West.

Now the first baseman is energized by being around new teammate Manny Machado, who last week signed a $300 million, 10-year contract, and top prospect Fernando Tatis Jr., who is expected to make his big league debut at some point in 2019.

Hosmer's deal had been the biggest in team history until Machado signed the biggest deal for any free agent.

''It's a tremendous leap for this organization,'' Hosmer said. ''It shows everybody what we are all about. It's something we aren't trying to preach or talk about. They went out, signed a player and got a guy that's going to help us win a championship one day.''

Last spring training, Hosmer had to get acquainted with new teammates and a new league. He signed his deal shortly after pitchers and catchers reported to camp. He said he didn't get an offer from a team until mid-January and made sure he was making the right decision before deciding on San Diego.

''I didn't know much about the organization until I did my homework when I was a free agent,'' he said. ''Just reading about all the talent and getting to see all of that. Especially this year, with these guys getting to see what Tatis did in the winter, what Franmil (Reyes) did over here last year, there's a lot of upside where this organization is going.''

Hosmer was able to shift his priories this offseason to getting his mind and body ready for baseball.

''It's definitely a different vibe for me to walk in here and be able to know a lot of the faces,'' he said. ''I just got to focus on baseball all offseason and that was probably the best part about it. I didn't have to be a lawyer or agent this offseason. I can just worry about training and getting my body into the position and place it needs to be to take on 162 games and I feel like I did a really good job with that.''

Hosmer hit only.253 last year, down 65 points. His 18 homers, 65 RBIs and .322 on-base percentage were his lowest in four seasons. He struck out a career-high 142 times.

''I don't really know what happened. It didn't go the way I planned,'' Hosmer said. ''There's really no excuse for that. It came down to not performing the way I wanted to perform. I took that very seriously this offseason and got everything going.''

Once again, there's a buzz in Padres camp.

''I think we are at a point in time now where everybody knows we want to win and we are serious about it,'' Hosmer said. ''It's not just talking. It's not us trying to sell you guys something. It's actions and going out and doing something.''

Tokens
McCann catches for Braves again
February 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) Brian McCann left Atlanta five years ago as a full-time catcher.

After three years with the New York Yankees and two with the Houston Astros, the 35-year-old McCann was back behind the plate for the Braves on Tuesday as a platoon player.

''Nothing's changed,'' McCann said. ''The clocks on the wall are the exact same. It's funny. But it's good to be back.''

McCann, who missed two months in the middle of last season after surgery on his right knee, is one of several Braves veterans whose spring training debuts have been delayed slightly by injury considerations.

Shortstop Dansby Swanson and third baseman Josh Donaldson will probably play for the first time Friday.

Veteran reliever Darren O'Day, who missed the second half of last season after having surgery on his right hamstring, threw a bullpen session on Monday.

''We've got more time than we need to get him ready,'' manager Brian Snitker said.

Mike Soroka, a 21-year-old right-hander whose bid for a spot in the starting rotation has been set back by a tender shoulder, will probably resume throwing on Thursday.

McCann caught four innings of Tuesday's 4-3 exhibition win over a split squad of New York Mets. He went 0 for 2 and felt the normal rust of playing in a game for the first time in four months.

''From Day One, calling a sign is weird. Setting up is different,'' he said. ''You're retraining your body where to go, what to do. No matter how much work you put in a back field, when you get into game speed it's another ballgame.''

McCann caught all seven games for the Astros in their World Series victory 16 months ago. The veteran who has caught 1,494 major league games expects to go into the season as the left-handed part of a catching platoon with Tyler Flowers.

A seven-time All-Star, McCann hit .212 with seven home runs and 23 RBIs for Houston last season.

''Back in the day you wouldn't want Brian McCann platooning with anybody because you wanted him in there,'' Snitker said. ''The last three years we've gone with two guys (Flowers and A.J. Pierzyski in 2016, Flowers and Kurt Suzuki in 2017-18) and got good results. We hope to do the same thing this year. We've got two catchers who aren't everyday guys at this stage of their careers. We've shown that we can make this thing work.''

Swanson, who last played on Sept. 25 and then had surgery to repair a partially torn ligament in his left wrist, has been practicing all baseball activities including hitting, which he did in Atlanta before coming to spring training.

''He feels good and it's just a matter of getting strength back on a daily basis,'' Snitker said. ''But physically - legs, arms, things like that, he could play today.''

Donaldson, who signed a one-year contract in November, played in just 52 games with Toronto and Cleveland last season due to a strained left calf muscle.

Tokens
Four vie for last spot in Bucs' rotation
February 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) The Pittsburgh Pirates believe Jameson Taillon, Trevor Williams, Joe Musgrove and Chris Archer give them a good start to their rotation.

The next move is figuring out who will take the fifth slot after Ivan Nova was traded to the Chicago White Sox in the offseason. Four pitchers are contending for the job: left-hander Steven Brault and right-handers Nick Kingham, Jordan Lyles and Rookie Davis.

Brault and Kingham both pitched two scoreless innings in their first starts of the exhibition season while Lyles allowed one run in two innings. Davis has yet to pitch as he signed a minor league contract Feb. 18, a week after pitchers and catchers reported to spring training.

Brault had made 16 starts and 48 relief appearances for the Pirates over the last three seasons, going 7-6 with a 4.68 ERA. He was the International League Pitcher of the Year in 2016 at Triple-A Indianapolis but has yet to gain a foothold in the major leagues.

During the offseason, Brault overhauled his pitching mechanics and altered his throwing program. He then threw 19 of his 23 pitches for strikes against the Philadelphia Phillies last Saturday.

''You take all that time in the offseason and you obviously want to do well,'' Brault said. ''It doesn't mean everything was perfect or anything like that. It's just one outing. But it's nice to get the results I want. It's a step in the right direction.''

Kingham's career started off in the right direction when he made his major league debut last April 29 and retired the first 20 batters on his way to beating the St. Louis Cardinals. He faded as the season wore on, however, and finished with a 5-7 record and 5.21 ERA in 18 games, including 15 starts.

What could help Kingham's cause is that he is out of minor league options. The Pirates would need to expose him to waivers if they try to send him down.

Kingham, 27, realizes it is too early to get too excited about one start but was pleased to begin the exhibition season with a solid effort against the Miami Marlins.

''I think any impression you make is going to stand on its own until your next one,'' Kingham said. ''Anytime you go out to the mound, you want to make a good impression. It might be the last one you get, so you always want to be good and you always want to leave a good impression in the coaches' minds, and the decision-makers'.''

Signed to a $2.05 million, one-year contract as a free agent in the offseason, Lyles is the most experienced of the four candidates. The 28-year-old has pitched for the Houston Astros, Colorado Rockies, San Diego Padres and Milwaukee Brewers in his eight-year career, compiling a 31-52 record and 5.28 ERA.

''You just continue to do what you think is best to get major league hitters out,'' Lyles said. ''Obviously, you're trying to get outs. Nobody is going to stand out there on the mound and say, `Here's the ball, hit it.' Not giving up runs is the No. 1 goal obviously, but I'm also looking to work on things and find the right spots to work on them.''

The Pirates have yet to schedule Davis' first game appearance, though he pitched two innings in a simulated game Tuesday. The 25-year-old made his major league debut with Cincinnati in 2017 by making six starts but spent last season in the Reds' farm system after recovering from hip surgery.

Tokens
Kershaw to play catch again Thursday
February 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) Clayton Kershaw is not expected to play catch again until Thursday as the Dodgers address his throwing discomfort.

The three-time NL Cy Young winner will not undergo an MRI, manager Dave Roberts said.

''Nothing new, nothing new, we're going to wait and see how it feels,'' Roberts said Tuesday, affirming that at this point Kershaw remains the opening day starter, a status he's held the past eight seasons.

The ace left-hander was shut down late last week with discomfort in the shoulder. When asked his level of concern, Roberts said, ''I am not trying to get too much into overthinking it. Once he picks up the ball on Thursday, then we'll reassess.''

Roberts said Kershaw is dealing as well as possible with the setback.

''He's as tough mentally of a player that I've ever been around,'' Roberts said.

Tokens
Dodgers' Seager looks strong during drills
February 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) With each ground ball hit his way, Corey Seager smoothly worked low to the ground, scooped the ball up and made accurate throws across the diamond to first base.

Later on Tuesday morning during double play drills, he made quick tosses to second base, changing the angle on his throws and looking comfortable among the Dodgers' top infielders at Camelback Ranch.

For the 2016 NL Rookie of the Year, this is hopefully the final month of a long rehabilitation process. Seager underwent Tommy John reconstruction surgery on May 4 because of a torn ulnar collateral ligament and then had arthroscopic surgery on his left hip on Aug. 7.

The 6-foot-4 shortstop lost weight while rehabilitating, in part because he altered his diet, including giving up dairy, and also because he spent extensive time working on strength, conditioning and flexibility. His weight is distributed differently, though he remains lithe and lanky.

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts is thrilled with Seager's appearance and his progress

''Corey is in a really good place,'' Roberts said. ''Obviously, you see the body. This is as good as I've seen him look, and yesterday watching him run the bases, his gait looks really good. Building him out, as far as his arm strength, he's in a really good place.''

The 24-year-old Seager didn't have to make any high-velocity throws Tuesday since there were no base runners, but he did test his hip with a slide to his left to stop a sharply hit grounder up the middle, popping up to his feet immediately afterward.

In another sign of progress, Seager swung at live pitches for the first time in a 10-pitch session with Dodgers right-hander Pedro Baez.

''He swung the bat actually really well,'' Roberts said, noting Seager got a hit off Baez.

Between hitting, fielding, throwing and conditioning, Roberts said, ''I thought it was a productive day for Corey.''

Tokens
Angels' Bobby Knoop retires after 53 years
February 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. (AP) Longtime Angels player and coach Bobby Knoop has announced his retirement after 53 years in baseball.

Los Angeles shared the news in a release Tuesday.

The 80-year-old Knoop was one of the Angels' first recognizable figures, earning the club's MVP award four times in its inaugural decade. The second baseman played for the Angels from 1964-69, making an All-Star team and winning three Gold Glove Awards as part of a double-play duo with Jim Fregosi.

Knoop later worked for Los Angeles as a minor league manager, big league base coach and an interim manager for two games in 1994.

He has been an infield instructor with the Angels since 2013. He also played for the White Sox and Royals, worked as a major league coach for the White Sox and Blue Jays and was briefly a scout with the Rockies.

NOTES: Two-time MVP and noted weather enthusiast Mike Trout got his first hit of spring training Tuesday, an infield single against Oakland. Trout was back in the batter's box after spending part of last week chasing a rare lower-elevation Arizona snowstorm, driving 80 miles north of Phoenix to Payson. He chronicled the adventure on social media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrettChinn
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com