Cnotes 2017 NHL Playoffs Trends-Stats-Picks-News !

Search

Tokens
NHL Betting Cheat Sheet: Which top seeds will get stunned this year?

After another long yet exciting season, the Stanley Cup Playoffs are finally here and the first round is full of intriguing story-lines and matchups. Have no fear, Monty Andrews is here to help you handicap all of the opening matchup like a seasoned pro.

Habs Have the Upper Hand

The Montreal Canadiens may be the Atlantic Division champions, but they're in for the fight of their lives as they enter as a slim -125 favorite in their first-round Stanley Cup playoff series with the New York Rangers. Montreal topped the Atlantic with 47 victories and 103 points, while the Rangers (+105) had to settle for the first Eastern Conference wild card spot despite recording a whopping 102 points themselves. Montreal may have the psychological upper hand after sweeping the three-game regular-season series; the teams went 1-1-1 O/U in those games.

Is the Pen Mightier than the Jacket?

The Pittsburgh Penguins (-170) open defense of their Stanley Cup title as strong favorites against relative postseason newcomer Columbus (+150). Both teams had sensational seasons, finishing second and fourth, respectively, in points; they both won 50 games, and each team finished at least +48 in goal differential. The Blue Jackets went 2-1-1 against the Penguins in the regular season, including a stunning 7-1 drubbing back on Dec. 22; Pittsburgh will need to be wary of Columbus forwards Brandon Dubinsky and Scott Hartnell, who combined to score six goals in the season series.

Leafs Facing Capital Punishment

Toronto Maple Leafs fans are thrilled that the team is returning to the playoffs for just the second time since the 2005-06 lockout, but their stay in the postseason might be a short one as the Maple Leafs (+270) get the Presidents Trophy-winning Washington Capitals (-330) in the opening round. These odds are the longest of any first-round matchup, and with good reason: the Capitals recorded a league-best 55 wins and 118 points while Toronto came out of nowhere after finishing dead last in the league in 2015-16. Washington won two of three in the season series, with the teams going 2-1-0 O/U.

Is an Upset Bruin?

The Boston Bruins (-190) are expected to cruise into the second round of the playoffs as they prepare to face off against the Ottawa Senators (+170). While Ottawa actually finished three points ahead of the Bruins in the Atlantic Division - thereby securing the home-ice edge - the Senators have stumbled into the postseason with losses in 10 of their last 15 games and finished the regular season with a negative goal differential. That said, the Senators swept the four-game season series with the Bruins, including a 2-1 shootout triumph on April 6; three of the four games played to the under.

Sharks Must Beware of Oil Spill

The Edmonton Oilers not only return to the Stanley Cup playoffs for the first time in 11 years - they're actually modest -130 favorites as they kick off their first-round series with the San Jose Sharks on Wednesday night. Behind a sensational 100-point season from phenom Connor McDavid and elite-level goaltending from Cam Talbot, the Oilers racked up 103 points to finish second in the competitive Pacific Division - four points clear of the Sharks, who were by far the worst over play in the league (22-37-23 O/U). The Oilers finished with a 3-1-1 edge in the season series, with the teams going 2-1-2 O/U.

Blackhawks Down? Not Likely

The biggest odds edge among Western Conference teams belongs to the Chicago Blackhawks, who open as -190 favorites to advance to the second round at the expense of the Central Division-rival Nashville Predators (+170). Chicago was the class of the conference, leading all teams with 50 victories and 109 points - but the Blackhawks come into the postseason riding an ugly four-game losing skid during which they scored just seven goals. Chicago does, however, have the Predators' number, winning four of five regular season meetings; the teams went 3-0-2 O/U in those contests.

Flames Facing 11-Year Duck Drought

If the Calgary Flames (+140) hope to reach the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, they'll need to do something they haven't done in nearly 11 years: win a road game in Anaheim. The Ducks (-160) have been positively dominant against the Flames in their own arena, winning the last 27 home meetings between the teams dating back to their first-round playoff matchup in 2006. Needless to say, Anaheim is in the driver's seat if past history is any indication - and their overall head-to-head series has been almost as one-sided, with the Ducks winning 11 of the last 12 encounters.

Into the Wild-Blues Yonder

Two of the hottest teams in the league coming into the postseason will square off in another Central Division showdown as the Minnesota Wild (-150) take on the St. Louis Blues (+130). Minnesota held on to second place in the division by fashioning a four-game season-ending winning streak, while the Blues' three-game winning run to end the campaign was for naught. St. Louis, however, earned seven of a possible 10 points in the reguar-season series - the final victory coming at the start of their season-closing 15-2-2 stretch. The teams split the totals down the middle, going 2-2-1 O/U.

Injury Updates

* The Bruins are down a pair of defensemen to open their series with the Senators. Torey Krug is nursing a lower-body injury that will sideline him for the entire first-round encounter, while Brandon Carlo is dealing with an upper-body ailment suffered in the regular-season finale that will keep him out of Game 1.

* The Predators' infirmary might be uncomfortably full for their series-opening tilt with the Blackhawks. Six players are considered questionable for Game 1 on Thursday night in Chicago, including forwards Mike Fisher (lower body) and Colin Wilson (lower body) and defensemen Roman Josi (lower body) and Yannick Weber (upper body).

Player Notes

* The Sharks might wish their first-round series with Edmonton opened on a different day of the week. McDavid recorded five goals and 11 assists in eight Wednesday games during the regular season, easily his highest points-per-game average of any day of the week; he also had four goals and four assists in five games against San Jose.

* As for Canadiens netminder Carey Price, Saturday night's all right for dominating - he has a magnificent 15-2-2 mark with a 1.98 goals-against average and a .934 save percentage on Saturdays this season. But Montreal isn't playing a Saturday game early in the first round - Game 2 is on Friday, where Price is 0-3 with an ugly 4.20 GAA in three starts.

Stanley Cup Futures

* The Capitals enter the Stanley Cup playoffs as the top pick to win it all, coming in at +450 according to Sports Interaction. The Penguins (+550) and Blackhawks (+550) are next in line, with the Wild (+700) and Blue Jackets (+700) rounding out the top five. The top odds for a Canadian team belong to the Canadiens, who are at +1,100.

* The Bruins might be favored in their first-round series with Ottawa, but they're one of the biggest long shots to go all the way in 2017. Sports Interaction has Boston installed as a +2,500 underdog to hoist the Stanley Cup, even with the Blues and Predators for the longest odds. The Canadian team with the longest shot? The Calgary Flames, at +2,200.

Over/Under Trends

* No team rewarded over bettors more than the Penguins, who come into the postseason having gone 47-30-5 O/U for the season - including a 26-11-4 mark at home. By comparison, Columbus finished tied with Ottawa for the second-fewest overs among Eastern Conference playoff teams (32).

* Look for some low-scoring Pacific Division action, as that seven-team group produced the only three teams with fewer than 30 overs on the season - Anaheim (28), Los Angeles (24) and San Jose (22). In fact, all seven teams in the division finished with more unders than overs, while six of the seven teams in the Central had more overs than unders

Tokens
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

NYR at MON 07:00 PM

MON -152

U 5.0

BOS at OTT 07:00 PM

BOS -132

O 5.0

CLB at PIT 07:30 PM

CLB +135

O 5.5

STL at MIN 09:30 PM

STL +145

U 5.0

SJ at EDM 10:00 PM

EDM -161

U 5.0

Tokens
NHL roundup: Blues, Sharks both win in OT
April 13, 2017

EDMONTON, Alberta -- Playing their first postseason game in 11 years, the Edmonton Oilers rolled out to a two-goal, first-period lead. But, after that, it was all San Jose Sharks.

Melker Karlsson's wrist-shot goal at 3:22 of overtime gave the Sharks a 3-2 win over the Oilers in Game 1 of their Western Conference first-round series.

Cam Talbot made 41 saves for the Oilers, while Sharks goalie Martin Jones stopped 17 shots, most of them in the first period.

Paul Martin and Joel Ward scored in regulation for the Sharks while Oscar Klefbom and Milan Lucic scored for the Oilers.

Blues 2, Wild 1 (OT)

SAINT PAUL, Minn. -- A busy night by goalie Jake Allen and an overtime goal by Joel Edmundson propelled St. Louis over Minnesota in the opener of their first-round playoff series.

Allen had a season-high 51 saves and Vladimir Sobotka scored in regulation for the Blues, giving them a 1-0 lead in their best-of-seven series.

The Blues were less than a minute from winning in regulation, but Wild left winger Zach Parise's goal with 22.7 seconds left forged a tie after Minnesota's first 43 shots had been turned aside by Allen.

Penguins 3, Blue Jackets 1

PITTSBURGH -- Marc-Andre Fleury, a last-minute starter after goaltender Matt Murray got hurt during the pregame warmup, stopped 31 of 32 shots as Pittsburgh beat Columbus in Game 1 of a first-round Eastern Conference playoff series at PPG Paints Arena.

The Penguins built a 3-0 lead in the second period with goals from Bryan Rust, Phil Kessel and Nick Bonino. Evgeni Malkin added two assists.

The Blue Jackets spoiled Fleury's bid for his ninth career playoff shutout when Matt Calvert scored from the slot at 12:41 of the third.

Bruins 2, Senators 1

OTTAWA -- Brad Marchand scored with 2:33 left in regulation as Boston rallied in the third period for a victory over Ottawa at Canadian Tire Centre.

Bobby Ryan scored for the Senators, while Frank Vatrano also scored for the Bruins.

Tuukka Rask made 26 saves in the Boston net while Craig Anderson stopped 23 shots for Ottawa.

Rangers 2, Canadiens 0

MONTREAL -- Tanner Glass' first-period goal helped New York beat Montreal at Bell Centre in the opener of an Eastern Conference playoff series.

Michael Grabner added a late empty-net goal for the Rangers, who got 31 saves from Henrik Lundqvist.

Carey Price stopped 29 shots for the Canadiens.

Tokens
Armadillo: Thursday's six-pack

Odds to win the US Open in June in Wisconsin

8-1— Dustin Johnson

9-1— Rory McIlroy

10-1— Jordan Spieth

12-1— Jason Day

15-1— Hideki Matsuyama, Justin Rose

20-1— Jon Rahm

Armadillo: Thursday's List of 13: Some of my favorite movie quotes……

13) “Who’s the u-boat commander?” From Risky Business, when the kid’s father’s Porsche winds up in Lake Michigan, and then in a repair shop to be cleaned up.

12) “I believe in the Church of Baseball. I’ve tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I’ve worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn’t work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. You see, there’s no guilt in baseball, and it’s never boring.”
Susan Sarandon, from Bull Durham

11) “He’s a great player, but I don’t think we can get him in academically.”
Jerry Tarkanian, playing himself in Blue Chips

10) “In ‘Confessions of a Winning Poker Player,’ Jack King said, ‘Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.’ It seems true to me, ‘cause walking in here, I can hardly remember how I built my bankroll, but I can’t stop thinking of how I lost it.”
Matt Damon in Rounders

9) “I guess it comes down to a simple choice; get busy living, or get busy dying.”
Tim Robbins from Shawshank Redemption

8) “……Who cares? I’ll tell you. Me. I’m not your best friend. I’m your only friend. I don’t make anything? I’m making you money. And lest we forget, that’s the only reason any of you became stockholders in the first place. You want to make money! You don’t care if they manufacture wire and cable, fried chicken, or grow tangerines!

You want to make money! I’m the only friend you’ve got. I’m making you money. Take the money. Invest it somewhere else. Maybe, maybe you’ll get lucky and it’ll be used productively. And if it is, you’ll create new jobs and provide a service for the economy and, God forbid, even make a few bucks for yourselves.

And if anybody asks, tell ’em ya gave at the plant. And by the way, it pleases me that I am called “Larry the Liquidator.” You know why, fellow stockholders? Because at my funeral, you’ll leave with a smile on your face and a few bucks in your pocket. Now that’s a funeral worth having!”
Danny DeVito, in Other People’s Money

7) “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard… is what makes it great.” Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own

6) “You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to.” Jack Nicholson, from A Few Good Men

5) “Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It’s not about winning. It’s about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didn’t let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasn’t one more thing you could’ve done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman – you’re perfect!”
Billy Bob Thornton in Friday Night Lights

4) “And you know Steve you get the feeling that Billy Chapel isn’t pitching against left handers, he isn’t pitching against pinch hitters, he isn’t pitching against the Yankees. He’s pitching against time. He’s pitching against the future, against age, and even when you think about his career, against ending. And tonight I think he might be able to use that aching old arm one more time to push the sun back up in the sky and give us one more day of summer.”
The great Vin Scully, from For Love of the Game

3) “GOD LIKES ME! HE REALLY, REALLY, LIKES ME! WHAT A DAY! WHAT A FABULOUS DAY!”
Richard Dreyfuss in Let It Ride

2) “You’re a goddamn quarterback! You know what that means? It’s the top spot, kid. It’s the guy who takes the fall. It’s the guy everybody’s looking at first – the leader of a team – who will support you when they understand you. Who will break their ribs and their noses and their necks for you, because they believe. ‘Cause you make them believe. That’s a quarterback.”
Al Pacino, from Any Given Sunday

1) “Do whats in your heart, son. You’ll be fine.”
Robin Williams, from Good Will Hunting

Tokens
NHL
Dunkel

Thursday, April 13

Calgary @ Anaheim

Game 15-16
April 13, 2017 @ 10:30 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Calgary
Anaheim
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Calgary
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Anaheim
Dunkel Pick:
Calgary
(+135); Under

Nashville @ Chicago

Game 13-14
April 13, 2017 @ 8:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Nashville
Chicago
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Chicago
by 2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Chicago
5 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Chicago
(-170); Under

Toronto @ Washington

Game 11-12
April 13, 2017 @ 7:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Toronto
Washington
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Washington
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Washington
5 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Washington
(-200); Over

NHL
Long Sheet

Thursday, April 13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO (40-27-0-15, 95 pts.) at WASHINGTON (55-19-0-8, 118 pts.) - 4/13/2017, 7:05 PM
Top Trends for this game.
TORONTO is 48-89 ATS (+153.6 Units) second half of the season over the last 3 seasons.
TORONTO is 4-11 ATS (-8.4 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season this season.
WASHINGTON is 55-27 ATS (+24.7 Units) in all games this season.
WASHINGTON is 34-13 ATS (+13.7 Units) second half of the season this season.
WASHINGTON is 0-6 ATS (-10.6 Units) when playing with 3 or more days rest this season.

Head-to-Head Series History
WASHINGTON is 7-2 (+4.9 Units) against the spread versus TORONTO over the last 3 seasons
WASHINGTON is 7-2-0 straight up against TORONTO over the last 3 seasons
5 of 9 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+1.1 Units)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NASHVILLE (41-29-0-12, 94 pts.) at CHICAGO (50-23-0-9, 109 pts.) - 4/13/2017, 8:05 PM
NASHVILLE is 41-41 ATS (-11.7 Units) in all games this season.
NASHVILLE is 0-6 ATS (-6.8 Units) when playing with 3 or more days rest this season.
NASHVILLE is 9-19 ATS (-15.1 Units) after a division game this season.
CHICAGO is 50-32 ATS (+82.2 Units) in all games this season.
NASHVILLE is 235-193 ATS (+26.4 Units) revenging a loss versus opponent since 1996.
NASHVILLE is 195-170 ATS (+370.4 Units) after scoring 1 goal or less in their previous game since 1996.
CHICAGO is 1-6 ATS (-9.8 Units) in home games when playing with 3 or more days rest over the last 2 seasons.

CHICAGO is 14-6 (+7.6 Units) against the spread versus NASHVILLE over the last 3 seasons
CHICAGO is 14-6-0 straight up against NASHVILLE over the last 3 seasons
10 of 14 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+5.5 Units)

CALGARY (45-33-0-4, 94 pts.) at ANAHEIM (46-23-0-13, 105 pts.) - 4/13/2017, 10:35 PM
ANAHEIM is 53-24 ATS (+19.9 Units) in a home game where where the total is 5 or less over the last 3 seasons.
ANAHEIM is 19-6 ATS (+10.3 Units) in home games second half of the season this season.
ANAHEIM is 15-4 ATS (+8.5 Units) in home games after a division game this season.
ANAHEIM is 410-410 ATS (-103.2 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record since 1996.
ANAHEIM is 24-14 ATS (+7.6 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
CALGARY is 45-37 ATS (+5.2 Units) in all games this season.
CALGARY is 25-14 ATS (+11.0 Units) revenging a loss versus opponent this season.
CALGARY is 43-33 ATS (+79.3 Units) after a loss by 2 goals or more in their previous game over the last 3 seasons.
CALGARY is 16-5 ATS (+10.9 Units) after scoring 1 goal or less in their previous game this season.

ANAHEIM is 16-4 (+11.3 Units) against the spread versus CALGARY over the last 3 seasons
ANAHEIM is 16-4-0 straight up against CALGARY over the last 3 seasons
13 of 20 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+6.6 Units)

NHL
Short Sheet

Thursday, April 13

Toronto at Washington, 7:05 PM ET
Toronto: 18-23 SU after 1 or more consecutive unders
Washington: 32-9 SU in home games

Nashville at Chicago, 8:05 PM ET
Nashville: 0-6 SU when playing with 3 or more days rest
Chicago: 10-0 SU after scoring 2 goals or less in 2 straight games

Calgary at Anaheim, 10:35 PM ET
Calgary: 25-14 SU revenging a loss versus opponent as a favorite
Anaheim: 21-24 SU off a win or tie in their previous game

NHL
Armadillo's Write-Up

Thursday, April 13

Washington won seven of last eight games with Toronto; Maple Leafs lost their last five games in this building (under 3-1 in last four). Toronto won its last three road games; under is 3-1 in their last four games overall. Capitals won eight of their last ten games, four of last five at home. Last four Maple Leaf games stayed under the total. Toronto is in playoffs for first time since 2014, second time since ’04. Washington won four of its last five first round series- they’re in playoffs for ninth time in last 10 years.

Chicago won its last three games with Nashville (over 3-0-1); Predators lost four of last five games in Windy City. Nashville lost five of last seven games, three of last four on road. Under is 6-1-1 in their last eight games. Blackhawks lost their last four games, with two OT losses; they split last four home games. Under is 3-1-1 in their last five games. Nashville won three of last four first round series, after losing first five. Chicago won Stanley Cup three times in last seven years; they lost their first round series three of other four years.

Anaheim won nine of last ten games vs Calgary, winning last five games in the Pond. Over is 5-3 in last eight series games. Flames lost three of last four games; they’re 2-4 in last six road tilts. Ducks won four in row, eight of last ten games; they won last six home games. Over is 4-2-2 in their last eight games. Calgary is in playoffs for only second time in last eight years; they’re 1-4 in first round series since losing ’04 Cup Finals. Anaheim is in playoffs for 10th time in last 12 years; they’re 2-3 in last five first round series.

NHL

Thursday, April 13

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trend Report
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7:00 PM
TORONTO vs. WASHINGTON
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Toronto's last 6 games when playing on the road against Washington
Toronto is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Washington
Washington is 10-2 SU in its last 12 games
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Washington's last 6 games at home

8:00 PM
NASHVILLE vs. CHICAGO
Nashville is 1-9 SU in its last 10 games when playing on the road against Chicago
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Nashville's last 8 games
Chicago is 9-1 SU in its last 10 games when playing at home against Nashville
Chicago is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Nashville

10:30 PM
CALGARY vs. ANAHEIM
Calgary is 1-11 SU in its last 12 games when playing Anaheim
Calgary is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games
The total has gone OVER in 12 of Anaheim's last 18 games when playing Calgary
Anaheim is 9-2 SU in its last 11 games

Tokens
NHL

Thursday, April 13

Thursday's NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Betting Preview and Odds

The Flames have not won a game in Anaheim since Jan. 19, 2004. They'll need one in this series if they have any hope of moving on.

The puck drops on the three remaining first round series in the NHL playoffs Thursday, with two 1-vs-8 matchups and one team looking to win in a city for the first time in over 13 years. We break down all the matchups to help you 'cap the Stanley Cup Playoffs like a pro.

Toronto Maple Leafs at Washington Capitals (-240, 5.5)

ABOUT THE MAPLE LEAFS (40-27-15, 37-43-2 O/U): Auston Matthews, who became the first NHL rookie to score 40 goals in a season since, well, Alex Ovechkin, didn't go it alone on Toronto's fifth-ranked offense as William Nylander (22 goals, 39 assists) and Mitch Marner (19 goals, 42 assists) finished tied for third in points among rookies with 61. While the kids are alright, veteran goaltender Frederik Andersen is expected to return to the crease for the playoff opener after being scratched from the regular-season finale following a bump in the head by Pittsburgh's Tom Sestito. Tyler Bozak and defenseman Roman Polak (lower body) returned to practice on Wednesday but rookie blue-liner Nikita Zaitsev (upper body) was ruled out of the series opener, leading to Martin Marincin likely being inserted into the lineup.

ABOUT THE CAPITALS (55-19-8, 36-31-15 O/U): For all of the publicity received by its high-octane offense, Washington features arguably the best defensive corps in the league that has surrendered the league's fewest goals (177) and fourth-fewest shots (2,282). Trade deadline acquisition Kevin Shattenkirk has meshed nicely with John Carlson, Matt Niskanen, Karl Alzner and Dmitry Orlov in front of reigning Vezina Trophy winner Braden Holtby. "The playoffs to me is more blocking things out as opposed to trying to be a hero," said Holtby, who became the third netminder in NHL history to record three consecutive seasons of at least 40 wins. "You work on your game throughout the year so that you are at your top coming into the playoffs."

LINE HISTORY: Despite the fact the Captials opened this game as big -210 favorites, bettors didn't think that was enough and have pushed the line to -240. Oddsmakers pegged the total for Game 1 at 5.5.

INJURY REPORT:

Maple Leafs - D R. Polak (Probable Thursday), G F. Andersen (Probable Thursday, head), D N. Zaitsev (Out Thursday, upper body).

Capitals - D J. Carlson (Probable Thursday, lower body), RW B. Connolly (Probable Thursday, illness).

TRENDS:

* Maple Leafs are 1-7 in the last eight meetings.
* Capitals are 0-7 in their last seven games playing on three or more days rest.
* Over is 4-1 in Maple Leafs last five road games.
* Under is 4-0-1 in Capitals last five games overall.

Nashville Predators vs. Chicago Blackhawks (-170, 5.5)

ABOUT THE PREDATORS (41-29-12, 41-35-6 O/U): Although Pekka Rinne has not enjoyed his best season, he needs to be on top of his game for this series and showed he's on the right track by allowing a combined 14 goals over his last nine starts. Viktor Arvidsson had a breakout season with 31 goals (three against Chicago) and his total was matched by Filip Forsberg, who ratched up his game in the second half of the campaign but scored only twice in last year's postseason and has three goals in 16 career games against the Blackhawks. Center Ryan Johansen has seven assists in the five matchups versus Chicago.

ABOUT THE BLACKHAWKS (50-23-9, 37-32-13 O/U): Chicago already features plenty of offensive firepower and will get another boost with the return of 22-goal scorer Artem Anisimov, who returns to the lineup after a one-month absence and will center Patrick Kane and Artemi Panarin, who combined for 65 goals this season. Kane finished tied with Sidney Crosby for second in the league with 89 points and inflicted plenty of damage against the Predators this season with three goals and six assists over the past four meetings. Richard Panik and rookie Ryan Hartman each had hat tricks against Nashville this season.

LINE HISTORY: The Blackhawks hit the board as moderate -163 home favorites for Game 1 and have been bet up slightly to the current number of -170. The total is on the board at 5.5.

INJURY REPORT:

Predators - D Y. Weber (Questionable Thursday, upper body), C M. Fisher (Questionable Thursday, lower body), LW C. Wilson (Questionable Thursday, lower body), LW V. Fiddler (Questionable Thursday, upper body), C C. Jarnkrok (Questionable Thursday, lower body), D R. Josi (Questionable Thursday, lower body).

Blackhawks - D N. Hjalmarsson (Probable Thursday, personal), C A. Anisimov (Probable Thursday, leg), LW A. Desjardins (Questionable Thursday, lower body), D M. Rozsival (Out indefinitely, face).

TRENDS:

* Predators are 0-6 in their last six games playinng on three or more days rest.
* Blackhawks are 9-1 in their last 10 games vs. Central Division opponents.
* Under is 6-1-1 in the Predators last eight games overall.
* Over is 10-2-5 in the last 17 meetings.

Calgary Flames vs. Anaheim Ducks (-155, 5)

ABOUT THE FLAMES (45-33-4, 34-37-11 O/U): Calgary swapped two picks at the 2016 NHL draft with St. Louis in order to acquire Brian Elliott, who answered a sluggish beginning by winning a franchise high-tying 11 consecutive starts from Feb. 21-March 19. "He's been really dialed in here, really this second half," Treliving said of the 32-year-old Elliott, who struggled to find the frequency with an 0-2-0 mark and an .868 save percentage in three meetings with Anaheim. Johnny Gaudreau (team-leading 43 assists, 61 points) recorded four points against the Ducks this season and joined defenseman Dennis Wideman with three (two goals, one assist) in the 2015 series versus Anaheim.

ABOUT THE DUCKS (46-23-13, 28-36-18 O/U): Anaheim is riding a 27-game home winning streak against Calgary, while captain Ryan Getzlaf (NHL third-best 58 assists, team-leading 73 points) heads into the playoffs on a roll after setting up 10 tallies and recording 11 points in his final seven games of the season. The former Calgary Hitmen star joined Corey Perry in making their playoff debuts against the Flames in 2006, with the former recording 10 points (two goals, eight assists) in 12 postseason contests versus Calgary while the latter has 11 (four goals, seven assists). Perry, who ended the 2015 series by scoring the overtime goal in Game 5, has five tallies and two assists in his last nine games.

LINE HISTORY: The Ducks opened this game as -155 home favorites and the line has yet to move off that number. Oddsmakers pegged the total for Game 1 at 5.

INJURY REPORT:

Flames - G C. Johnson (Questionable Thursday, leg).

Ducks - RW P. Eaves (Proabble Thursday, upper body), D K. Holzer (Questionable Thursday, personal), LW N. Ritchie (Eligible Saturday, suspension), D C. Fowler (Mid May, knee).

TRENDS:

* Flames are 0-27 in the last 27 meetings in Anaheim.
* We'll say that one again in case you missed it... Flames are 0-27 in the last 27 meetings in Anaheim.
* Ducks are 8-1 in their last nine games vs. a team with a winning record.
* Over is 11-2-2 in Flames last 15 games playing on three or more days rest.
* Over is 3-0-1 in Ducks last four games playing on three or more days rest.

Tokens
NHL PLAYOFFS RECORD: ( AS IN BASEBALL DOGS AND TOTALS ONLY)

ALL PICKS FOR THE DAY:

04/12/2017 4-5-1 44.44% -940

BEST BETS SIDES TOTALS

04/12/2017..........1 - 1 ............+ 1.00...........2 - 2 -1 .............+ 0.00

THURSDAY, APRIL 13

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

TOR at WAS 07:00 PM

TOR +215

U 5.5

NAS at CHI 08:00 PM

NAS +155

O 5.5

CAL at ANA 10:30 PM

U 5.0

Tokens
NHL roundup: Capitals tip Leafs; Preds jolt Blackhawks
April 13, 2017

WASHINGTON -- Tom Wilson scored 5:15 into overtime to lift the Washington Capitals to a come-from-behind, 3-2 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game 1 of their first-round playoff series on Thursday.

Wilson stopped a clearing attempt in the Toronto zone, moved into the right circle and fired high past Frederik Andersen for his first career playoff goal.

Justin Williams scored twice, his fourth career postseason multi-goal game, and Braden Holtby stopped 35 shots for the Presidents' Trophy winners.

The Maple Leafs took a 2-0 lead on first-period goals by rookie Mitchell Marner and Jake Gardiner. Williams answered with one in the first period and one in the second. Andersen finished with 41 saves.

Predators 1, Blackhawks 0

CHICAGO -- Viktor Arvidsson scored a goal and Pekka Rinne made 29 saves in his second career playoff shutout as Nashville beat Chicago in Game 1 of their Western Conference first-round playoff series.

Rinne made 11 saves in the third period and preserved the victory in the final two minutes when the Blackhawks pulled Corey Crawford to gain an extra attacker.

Arvidsson redirected a Filip Forsberg shot and past Crawford at the 7:52 mark of the first period for the game's lone goal.

Ducks 3, Flames 2

ANAHEIM -- Ryan Getzlaf and Jakob Silfverberg each had a goal and an assist, and Anaheim seized momentum from visiting Calgary with a Game 1 win in a first-round Western Conference playoff series.

Rickard Rakell also scored for the Ducks, while John Gibson made 30 saves.

Brian Elliott made 38 saves and Sean Monahan and Sam Bennett scored for the Flames.

Tokens
Armadillo: Friday's six-pack

Odds for some non-favorites to win the US Open in June in Wisconsin

60-1– Charl Schwartzel

80-1— Tyrell Hatton

100-1- Marc Leishman

125-1— Bill Haas

150-1— Billy Horschel

200-1— Charles Howell III

Armadillo: Friday's List of 13: Doing some thinking out loud…….

13) Next Friday in this space we’ll be analyzing the 2017 NFL schedule, since apparently it is being released Thursday night on the NFL Network. The old coach Bud Grant used to say “It is not who you play, it is when you play them.” Next week the ’17 season begins to take shape.

12) I have an idea for an NFL Films reality show, kind of a Hard Knocks after the season.

Apparently teams do exit interviews after the season with players, to talk about what they need to work on in the offseason, or if they’ll be back next year— this is done to keep the lines of communication open. It would make great TV- there have to be some interesting discussions.

11) Last April, Trevor Story took baseball by storm, hitting .261 with 10 homers, 20 RBI just in April. This year? Not so much; Story is hitting .143 with one homer, two RBI- he hit his first HR last night, off Madison Bumgarner, so maybe he is turning things around.

10) Most Dodger games aren’t on TV in the Las Vegas sportsbooks, which is dumb, because of some blackout rule. It makes zero sense; Vegas is three hours from LA, baseball could use the exposure from Dodger fans in Las Vegas wanting to watch their team play. This should be fixed.

9) Arizona has a rookie manager this year in Torey Lovullo, his dad was a producer on the old Hee Haw TV show, the country music show with Roy Clark/Buck Owens.

8) Remember the old medal gymnast Mary Lou Retton? Her dad played basketball at West Virginia, with Jerry West. Mary Lou didn’t get her dad’s height.

7) Memphis Grizzlies’ PG Mike Conley has played in 756 NBA games, 24,854 minutes and he has never gotten a technical foul— not even one!!!

6) Sharp money on the Boston Bruins came in Tuesday, forcing the B’s Stanley Cup odds to drop from 28-1 to 16-1. Bruins are favored over Ottawa in this first round series, despite not having home ice advantage in the series.

5) When Hurricane Matthew ripped thru South Carolina last year, Harbourtown Country Club on Hilton Head lost over 500 trees.

4) Former Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville might run for governor of Alabama next year. No idea if he would be a good candidate, but they do take football seriously in Alabama.

3) Orlando Magic fired their GM, apparently want to hire Grant Hill to take his place, but Hill is already a part-owner of the Atlanta Hawks and might not be interested.

2) Portland’s Moe Harkless has a clause in his contract that gives him a $500K bonus if he shot 35% from the arc this season.

Going into the season finale Wednesday, Harkless was at 35.1% on the arc; if he goes 0-1, he drops below 35%. So what did he do? He played 22 minutes but didn’t take a 3-pointer. Thats plus-$500K for Mr Harkless, Not exactly the competitive spirit of Ted Williams, but half a million bucks guaranteed is a sweet deal.

1— Got home very late from my trip; we got delayed taking off in Las Vegas. My thanks to the people at SouthPoint Casino, an underrated place for your next Vegas vacation.

Tokens
NHL
Short Sheet

Friday, April 14

NY Rangers at Montreal, 7:05 PM ET
New York: 15-5 SU as a road underdog of +100 to +150
Montreal: 18-24 SU in home games revenging a same season loss vs opponent

Columbus at Pittsburgh, 7:05 PM ET
Columbus: 23-12 SU revenging a loss versus opponent
Pittsburgh: 4-6 SU after 2 or more consecutive unders

St Louis at Minnesota, 8:05 PM ET
St Louis: 54-39 SU in road games
Minnesota: 20-28 SU revenging a same season loss vs opponent

San Jose at Edmonton, 10:35 PM ET
San Jose: 11-1 SU in road games after 2 consecutive division games
Edmonton: 6-15 SU in home games revenging a close loss vs opponent of 1 goal or less

NHL
Armadillo's Write-Up

Friday, April 14

Canadiens got blanked at home by New York in Game 1; Montreal won six of last eight games with the Rangers; road team won six of those eight games. New York lost three of last five games in the Bell Centre. Over is 3-2-1 in last six series games. Rangers snapped 4-game road losing streak Wednesday; they’re 3-5 in last eight games overall- their last four games stayed under. Canadiens won six of last nine games; under is 8-2-1 in their last 11. Rangers won their last four first round series; Montreal missed playoffs LY- they split last six first round series, over last eight years.

Home side won seven of last eight Columbus-Pittsburgh games; Blue Jackets lost five of last six games in Steel City. Under is 6-3 in last nine series games. Jackets lost seven of last eight games overall, six of last seven on road- under is 8-2-1 in their last 11. Pittsburgh won its last three home games; they won Stanley Cup LY, won their first round series three of last four years- this is their 10th year in row in playoffs. Columbus is in playoffs for just third time, first time since 2014; their coach won Stanley Cup with Tampa Bay in 2004.

St Louis was outshot 52-26 in Game 1 but won 2-1 in OT, scoring at 17:48 of OT- they won six of last eight games with Minnesota, three of last five played in Twin Cities. Over is 3-3-1 in last seven series games. Blues won seven of last nine games, four of last five on road. Minnesota won four of its last five games- they outhit Blues 35-18 in Game 1, a good sign. Over is 5-3 in their last eight games. Blues are in playoffs for 6th straight year; they lost first round series three of last four years. Minnesota is in playoffs for 5th year in row; they’re 4-3 overall in first round series.

Edmonton had 9-game home winning streak snapped in OT in Game 1; they’ve won eight of last ten overall- over is 3-1-1 in its last five. Sharks lost six of last seven road games, but won three of last five overall (under 4-1). Edmonton is in playoffs for first time since 2006, when they lost Cup final; they’ve lost four of last five first round series. San Jose lost Stanley Cup final LY; they’re 9-3 in last 12 first round series. Oilers won three of last four games with San Jose- they also won three of last five visits here; road side won five of last eight series games. Over is 3-2-2 in last seven series games.

First round series:
East

Washington-Toronto
3-2 Wash OT
Pittsburgh-Columbus
Pitt 3-1
Montreal-NY Rangers
NYR 2-0
Ottawa-Boston
Bos 2-1

West
Chicago-Nashville
Nash 1-0
Minnesota-St Louis
StL 2-1 ot
Anaheim-Calgary
Ana, 3-2
Edmonton-San Jose
SJ 3-2 ot

NHL

Friday, April 14

Trend Report

COLUMBUS vs. PITTSBURGH
Columbus is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games when playing Pittsburgh
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Columbus's last 6 games when playing Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games when playing Columbus
Pittsburgh is 19-6 SU in its last 25 games at home

NY RANGERS vs. MONTREAL
NY Rangers are 2-6 SU in their last 8 games when playing Montreal
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of the NY Rangers last 6 games on the road
Montreal is 6-2 SU in their last 8 games when playing NY Rangers
Montreal is 13-5 SU in their last 18 games when playing at home against NY Rangers

ST. LOUIS vs. MINNESOTA
The total has gone UNDER in 9 of St. Louis's last 13 games on the road
St. Louis is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Minnesota's last 6 games at home
Minnesota is 2-6 SU in its last 8 games when playing St. Louis

SAN JOSE vs. EDMONTON
San Jose is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
San Jose is 16-8 SU in its last 24 games when playing Edmonton
Edmonton is 8-2 SU in its last 10 games
Edmonton is 6-15 SU in its last 21 games when playing at home against San Jose

Tokens
NHL
Dunkel

Friday, April 14

San Jose @ Edmonton

Game 77-78
April 14, 2017 @ 10:30 pm

Dunkel Rating:
San Jose
Edmonton
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Edmonton
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Edmonton
Dunkel Pick:
Edmonton
(-150); Over

St. Louis @ Minnesota

Game 75-76
April 14, 2017 @ 8:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
St. Louis
Minnesota
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
St. Louis
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Minnesota
Dunkel Pick:
St. Louis
(+170); Over

Columbus @ Pittsburgh

Game 73-74
April 14, 2017 @ 7:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Columbus
Pittsburgh
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Columbus
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Pittsburgh
5 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Columbus
(+145); Over

NY Rangers @ Montreal

Game 71-72
April 14, 2017 @ 7:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
NY Rangers
Montreal
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Montreal
by 2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Montreal
Dunkel Pick:
Montreal
(-150); Over

NHL
Long Sheet

Friday, April 14

NY RANGERS (49-28-0-6, 104 pts.) at MONTREAL (47-27-0-9, 103 pts.) - 4/14/2017, 7:05 PM
NY RANGERS are 15-28 ATS (-13.1 Units) in a road game where where the total is 5 or less over the last 2 seasons.
MONTREAL is 13-4 ATS (+8.1 Units) after a loss by 2 goals or more in their previous game this season.
NY RANGERS are 15-8 ATS (+23.9 Units) in road games second half of the season this season.
NY RANGERS are 24-18 ATS (+45.8 Units) in road games when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season over the last 3 seasons.
MONTREAL is 9-13 ATS (-7.9 Units) in home games second half of the season this season.

MONTREAL is 7-3 (+4.2 Units) against the spread versus NY RANGERS over the last 3 seasons
MONTREAL is 7-3-0 straight up against NY RANGERS over the last 3 seasons
4 of 7 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+0.0 Units)

COLUMBUS (50-25-0-8, 108 pts.) at PITTSBURGH (51-21-0-11, 113 pts.) - 4/14/2017, 7:05 PM
COLUMBUS is 8-22 ATS (+38.6 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
PITTSBURGH is 48-24 ATS (+13.2 Units) vs. division opponents over the last 2 seasons.
COLUMBUS is 50-33 ATS (+8.8 Units) in all games this season.
COLUMBUS is 11-2 ATS (+8.8 Units) on Friday nights this season.
COLUMBUS is 23-12 ATS (+9.6 Units) revenging a loss versus opponent this season.

COLUMBUS is 7-6 (+3.0 Units) against the spread versus PITTSBURGH over the last 3 seasons
COLUMBUS is 7-6-0 straight up against PITTSBURGH over the last 3 seasons
6 of 13 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=-1.0 Units, Under=-0.7 Units)

ST LOUIS (47-29-0-7, 101 pts.) at MINNESOTA (49-25-0-9, 107 pts.) - 4/14/2017, 8:05 PM
ST LOUIS is 41-30 ATS (+9.7 Units) in a road game where where the total is 5 or less over the last 2 seasons.
ST LOUIS is 19-8 ATS (+10.9 Units) in road games second half of the season this season.
ST LOUIS is 54-41 ATS (+8.4 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.
ST LOUIS is 8-3 ATS (+12.3 Units) in road games when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season this season.
MINNESOTA is 46-53 ATS (-15.5 Units) second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
MINNESOTA is 5-10 ATS (-7.0 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season this season.

ST LOUIS is 11-10 (+1.1 Units) against the spread versus MINNESOTA over the last 3 seasons
ST LOUIS is 11-10-0 straight up against MINNESOTA over the last 3 seasons
7 of 13 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+0.7 Units)

SAN JOSE (47-29-0-7, 101 pts.) at EDMONTON (47-26-0-10, 104 pts.) - 4/14/2017, 10:35 PM
SAN JOSE is 39-22 ATS (+15.4 Units) in a road game where where the total is 5 or less over the last 2 seasons.
SAN JOSE is 7-0 ATS (+7.0 Units) in road games in April games over the last 2 seasons.
SAN JOSE is 16-6 ATS (+9.2 Units) in road games after a division game over the last 2 seasons.
SAN JOSE is 27-20 ATS (+53.1 Units) in road games in the first round of the playoffs since 1996.
SAN JOSE is 22-13 ATS (+36.7 Units) in road games when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.

EDMONTON is 7-8 (+1.8 Units) against the spread versus SAN JOSE over the last 3 seasons
SAN JOSE is 8-7-0 straight up against EDMONTON over the last 3 seasons
7 of 11 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+2.4 Units)

Tokens
NHL

Friday, April 14

Friday's NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Betting Preview and Odds

The Pittsburgh Penguins won as a home favorite Wednesday despite losing starting goaltender Matt Murray during pregame warmups.

Three of the four series' to hit the ice on Friday night for Game 2 featured upsets in the series openers, with the Pittsburgh Penguins being the only team to hold serve at home in Game 1. We break down all the matchups to help you 'cap the Stanley Cup Playoffs like a pro.

New York Rangers at Montreal Canadiens (-150, 5)

Rangers lead series 1-0.

ABOUT THE RANGERS (49-28-2-4, 40-37 O/U): The New York Rangers owned the league's best record away from home and carried that success into their opening game of the postseason. Fresh off a 2-0 victory behind netminder Henrik Lundqvist, the Rangers look to take command of their Eastern Conference first-round series when they visit the Montreal Canadiens in Game 2 on Friday night. It's not often Lundqvist when is considered the "other" goalie in any series, but his regular-season mark of 4-9-2 with a 3.97 goals-against average at Bell Centre and the presence of Price had many observers tilting the odds in Montreal's favor. "We didn't put out there that Hank is going to have a hard time here," New York coach Alain Vigneault said. "We've always had a lot of confidence in his game and what he did (Wednesday) was what we expected." Lundqvist registered 31 saves for his 10th shutout in the postseason, which are the most among active netminders.

ABOUT THE CANADIENS (47-27-7-2, 29-39 O/U: While some media outlets are already labeled Friday's game a must-win for the Canadiens to avoid heading back to New York in an 0-2 hole, goaltender Carey Price was not ready to sound the alarm. “It’s just one game,” Price said. “It’s a seven-game series and we weren’t going to win 16 straight games. We would have liked to. You know, we got what we got and we’re going to move forward." The inability to dent Lundqvist revived memories of Montreal's six-game loss to Tampa Bay in the conference semifinals two years ago, when the Canadiens scored five goals in their four losses. Coach Claude Julien said there would be no lineup changes following Wednesday's practice, which focused on players setting up screens and working on deflections and rebounds. "There were a couple of chances where we got pucks to the net and rebounds were sitting there," captain Max Pacioretty said. "We've got to dig a little bit deeper to come up with those type of chances."

LINE HISTORY: The desperate Canadiens opened as -140 favorites and have been bet up to -150. Oddsmakers pegged the total for Game 1 at 5.

INJURY REPORT:

Rangers - No injuries to report.

Canadiens - D A. Emelin (Doubtful, lower body).

TRENDS:

* Rangers are 1-5 in their last 6 games following a win.
* Canadiens are 11-2 in their last 13 when their opponent scores 2 goals or less in their previous game.
* Under is 4-0 in Rangers last 4 overall.
* Under is 8-1-3 in Canadiens last 12 vs. Metropolitan.
* Road team is 5-1 in the last 6 meetings.

Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (-165, 5.5)

Penguins lead series 1-0.

ABOUT THE BLUE JACKETS (50-25-6-2, 32-45 O/U): Brandon Saad looks to atone from a porous performance in Game 1, one that saw the 24-year-old Pittsburgh native limited to just 1:45 of ice time in the third period. "When I do get out there, I'll do my best and try to help the team win," Saad said following Thursday's practice. "It's (Tortorella's) job to put the team out there that he thinks will get the job done. For me, that's out of my control. ... It's do-or-die here. So every game, it's a clean slate." Sergei Bobrovsky would like to wipe the slate clean, as the former Vezina Trophy winner has yielded 16 goals during his five-game losing skid.

ABOUT THE PENGUINS (51-21-6-5, 47-31 O/U): Pittsburgh Penguins coach Mike Sullivan appeared at ease shuffling veteran Marc-Andre Fleury in the crease in place of injured goaltender Matt Murray, and the Columbus Blue Jackets don't seem too fazed by the switch, either. After excelling as a last-minute replacement, Fleury has been confirmed to start on Friday in Game 2 of the first-round series at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh. Phil Kessel is off to a fast start in the postseason after enjoying quite the playoffs last spring in which he led Pittsburgh in both goals (10) and points (22). The 29-year-old scored a power-play goal and assisted on Bryan Rust's second-period tally to record his sixth multi-point performance in 25 career playoff games with the Penguins. Rust, who missed Thursday's practice due to a maintenance day, has been quite comfortable in the Steel City during the playoffs with four goals in his last five home games.

LINE HISTORY: The Penguins opened as -165 favorites and the moneyline has yet to move. The total hit the board at 5.5.

INJURY REPORT:

Blue Jackets - LW L. Sedlak (Out Indefinitely, upper body), D R. Murray (Late April, hand), RW D. Clarkson (Out Indefinitely, back).

Penguins - D C. Ruhwedel (Questionable, upper body), G M. Murray (Out, lower body), LW C. Kunitz (Out Indefinitely, lower body), D K. Letang (Out For Season, neck), LW C. Hagelin (Late April, lower body).

TRENDS:

* Blue Jackets are 1-7 in their last 8 overall.
* Penguins are 4-0 in their last 4 Conference Quarterfinals games.
* Under is 7-1-1 in Blue Jackets last 9 road games.
* Under is 4-1 in Penguins last 5 vs. Metropolitan.
* Home team is 5-0 in the last 5 meetings.

St. Louis Blues at Minnesota Wild (-200, 5)

Blues lead series 1-0.

ABOUT THE BLUES (47-29-5-2, 34-36 O/U): Allen was especially strong in the second and third periods when he stopped all 34 shots as his teammates managed to get just 12 on Minnesota goalie Devan Dubnyk. “They were throwing a lot at me, but my job is to stop the puck and give the boys a chance,” Allen told reporters. “A lot of shots from tough angles (and) I did a pretty decent job of keeping pucks away from their players.” Defenseman Alex Pietrangelo finished with team highs of five shots on goal and 34 minutes, 30 seconds of ice time Wednesday.

ABOUT THE WILD (49-25-7-2, 42-32 O/U): The Minnesota Wild will take a repeat effort with a little more finishing touch when they host the St. Louis Blues on Friday night for Game 2 of their Western Conference first-round series. Zach Parise gave Minnesota a chance by scoring off a nifty Mikko Koivu touch pass with 22.7 seconds left in regulation Wednesday for his 31st career playoff goal in 90 games. Parise led the way with seven shots while leading scorer Mikael Granlund along with Jason Zucker and Charlie Coyle finished with six each in the series opener. Zucker told the media: “There are a few tweaks that we’ll make, but we’ve got to bring the same intensity and that same grit to our game and push for 60 minutes to be a little harder around the net.”

LINE HISTORY: The Wild opened as big -200 favorites and the moneyline has yet to move. The total opened at 5.

INJURY REPORT:

Blues - C P. Stastny (Questionable, foot), RW N. Yakupov (Questionable, undisclosed), D R. Bortuzzo (Out Indefinitely, upper body), C R. Fabbri (Out For Season, knee).

Wild - D V. Bartley (Out Indefinitely, tricep).

TRENDS:

* Blues are 7-1 in their last 8 road games.
* Wild are 1-7 in their last 8 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game.
* Under is 13-3-3 in Blues last 19 vs. Western Conference.
* Under is 6-1 in Wild last 7 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
* Blues are 6-2 in the last 8 meetings.

San Jose Sharks at Edmonton Oilers (-155, 5)

Sharks lead series 1-0.

ABOUT THE SHARKS (47-29-6-1, 22-37 O/U): The Sharks welcomed Logan Couture back to the lineup after the center missed the final seven games of the regular season with a facial injury. Another injured forward could return Friday in Joe Thornton, who sat out the last three regular-season contests as well as the series opener due to a knee issue. Couture registered one shot and won three of his five faceoffs over 20 minutes, 41 seconds of ice time in his first game since March 25 but was not pleased with his performance. "I was just off with timing and stickhandling and making plays, receiving passes," the 28-year-old told reporters. "Everything wasn't there. I wasn't very effective, but happy to get a game under my belt." Defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic led San Jose with two points (both assists) in Game 1 after registering 12 (one goal) in 24 contests during the team's run to the Stanley Cup Final last postseason.

ABOUT THE OILERS (47-26-5-5, 32-42 O/U): The Edmonton Oilers appeared on their way to victory in their first playoff game since 2006 but squandered the opportunity and lost in overtime. Edmonton will get the chance to even their Western Conference first-round series when it hosts the San Jose Sharks for Game 2 on Friday. Captain Connor McDavid notched an assist in the series opener after ending the regular season with a 14-game point streak - the longest in the NHL in 2016-17. The 20-year-old recorded 100 points to join Wayne Gretzky as the only players in franchise history to capture the Art Ross Trophy. Defenseman Adam Larsson, who tied teammate Eric Gryba by delivering a game-high eight hits, did not participate in Thursday's practice.

LINE HISTORY: Edmonton opened as -165 home favorites and some Sharks action has pushed the line down to -155. The total hit the board at 5.

INJURY REPORT:

Sharks - C J. Thornton (Questionable, knee).

Oilers - D A. Ference (Out For Season, hip), RW T. Pitlick (Out For Season, knee).

TRENDS:

* Sharks are 1-6 in their last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
* Oilers are 9-1 in their last 10 home games.
* Over is 3-0-3 in Sharks last 6 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
* Over is 5-0-1 in Oilers last 6 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
* Road team is 4-1 in the last 5 meetings.

Tokens
Pens G Fleury to stay in net for Game 2
April 13, 2017

PITTSBURGH (AP) Marc-Andre Fleury will remain in net for the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 2 of their playoff series against Columbus while Matt Murray deals with a lower-body injury.

Murray was scheduled to start Game 1 but left after suffering a lower-body injury in warm-ups. Fleury came on and made 31 saves as the Penguins cruised to a 3-1 victory to take a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.

Penguins coach Mike Sullivan offered no public update of Murray's status on Thursday, saying only there's no timetable for Murray's return.

Murray helped Pittsburgh to the franchise's fourth Stanley Cup as a rookie last spring and had taken over the No. 1 spot from Fleury this season.

Fleury's appearance on Friday will be his 102nd in the playoffs, a franchise record for a goaltender.

Tokens
NHL PLAYOFFS RECORD: ( AS IN BASEBALL DOGS AND TOTALS ONLY)

ALL PICKS FOR THE DAY:

04/13/2017 2-2-1 50.00% +225
04/12/2017 4-5-1 44.44% -940

BEST BETS SIDES TOTALS

04/13/2017..........1 - 1.............+0.55............1 - 1 - 1..............+ 0.00
04/12/2017..........1 - 1 ............+ 1.00...........2 - 2 - 1 .............+ 0.00

FRIDAY, APRIL 14

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

CLB at PIT 07:00 PM

CLB +130

O 5.5

NYR at MON 07:00 PM

U 5.0

STL at MIN 08:00 PM

STL +175

O 5.0

SJ at EDM 10:30 PM

SJ +115

O 5.0

Tokens
SATURDAY, APRIL 15

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

TOR at WAS

U 5.5

NAS at CHI 08:00 PM

NAS +160

O 5.0

CAL at ANA 10:30 PM

CAL +140

O 5.0

Tokens
NHL
Long Sheet

Saturday, April 15

BOSTON (45-31-0-7, 97 pts.) at OTTAWA (44-29-0-10, 98 pts.) - 4/15/2017, 3:05 PM
OTTAWA is 44-39 ATS (-7.2 Units) in all games this season.
OTTAWA is 33-26 ATS (+6.5 Units) after a division game over the last 2 seasons.
OTTAWA is 34-25 ATS (+59.8 Units) revenging a home loss versus opponent over the last 3 seasons.
OTTAWA is 67-55 ATS (+131.1 Units) revenging a loss versus opponent over the last 3 seasons.
OTTAWA is 20-14 ATS (+34.4 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
BOSTON is 21-10 ATS (+9.7 Units) in road games vs. division opponents over the last 2 seasons.
BOSTON is 190-214 ATS (+460.4 Units) in road games when playing against a team with a winning record since 1996.

OTTAWA is 10-4 (+10.4 Units) against the spread versus BOSTON over the last 3 seasons
OTTAWA is 10-4-0 straight up against BOSTON over the last 3 seasons
7 of 12 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+1.5 Units)

TORONTO (40-27-0-16, 96 pts.) at WASHINGTON (56-19-0-8, 120 pts.) - 4/15/2017, 7:05 PM
TORONTO is 48-90 ATS (+155.4 Units) second half of the season over the last 3 seasons.
TORONTO is 7-26 ATS (+44.7 Units) in road games on Saturday games over the last 3 seasons.
TORONTO is 4-12 ATS (-8.5 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season this season.
WASHINGTON is 56-27 ATS (+28.0 Units) in all games this season.
WASHINGTON is 35-13 ATS (+12.4 Units) second half of the season this season.
TORONTO is 17-8 ATS (+25.2 Units) when trailing in a playoff series since 1996.

WASHINGTON is 8-2 (+5.9 Units) against the spread versus TORONTO over the last 3 seasons
WASHINGTON is 8-2-0 straight up against TORONTO over the last 3 seasons
5 of 10 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+0.0 Units)

NASHVILLE (42-29-0-12, 96 pts.) at CHICAGO (50-24-0-9, 109 pts.) - 4/15/2017, 8:05 PM
NASHVILLE is 90-89 ATS (-26.7 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
NASHVILLE is 7-13 ATS (-9.5 Units) on Saturday games this season.
NASHVILLE is 10-19 ATS (-13.7 Units) after a division game this season.
CHICAGO is 20-9 ATS (+7.0 Units) after a division game this season.
CHICAGO is 433-420 ATS (+951.8 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record since 1996.
NASHVILLE is 196-170 ATS (+371.6 Units) after scoring 1 goal or less in their previous game since 1996.
NASHVILLE is 22-15 ATS (+6.4 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
NASHVILLE is 14-8 ATS (+22.2 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season this season.
CHICAGO is 0-5 ATS (-8.5 Units) in April games this season.

CHICAGO is 14-7 (+5.9 Units) against the spread versus NASHVILLE over the last 3 seasons
CHICAGO is 14-7-0 straight up against NASHVILLE over the last 3 seasons
10 of 15 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+4.5 Units)

CALGARY (45-34-0-4, 94 pts.) at ANAHEIM (47-23-0-13, 107 pts.) - 4/15/2017, 10:35 PM
ANAHEIM is 19-7 ATS (+10.0 Units) in a home game where where the total is 5 or less this season.
ANAHEIM is 29-16 ATS (+8.6 Units) second half of the season this season.
ANAHEIM is 16-4 ATS (+9.5 Units) in home games after a division game this season.
ANAHEIM is 22-15 ATS (+1.6 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
ANAHEIM is 25-14 ATS (+8.6 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
CALGARY is 45-38 ATS (+4.4 Units) in all games this season.
CALGARY is 25-15 ATS (+40.1 Units) revenging a loss versus opponent this season.

ANAHEIM is 17-4 (+12.3 Units) against the spread versus CALGARY over the last 3 seasons
ANAHEIM is 17-4-0 straight up against CALGARY over the last 3 seasons
13 of 20 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+6.6 Units)

NHL
Short Sheet

Saturday, April 15

Boston at Ottawa, 3:05 PM ET
Boston: 8-14 SU after having won 6 or 7 of their last 8
Ottawa: 28-18 SU after allowing 2 goals or more in the third period last game

Toronto at Washington, 7:05 PM ET
Toronto: 19-47 SU after having lost 4 of their last 5
Washington: 35-10 SU in home games after playing a home game

Nashville at Chicago, 8:05 PM ET
Nashville: 0-6 SU off a road win against a division rival
Chicago: 10-1 SU after scoring 2 goals or less in 2 straight games

Calgary at Anaheim, 10:35 PM ET
Calgary: 5-0 SU off a close road loss by 1 goal
Anaheim: 3-5 SU off 2 consecutive close home wins by 1 goal

NHL
Armadillo's Write-Up

Saturday, April 15

Boston snapped six-game skid vs Ottawa in Game 1, getting GW goal with 2:33 left; Bruins have still lost five of last six games in this building- four of last five series games stayed under total. Bruins won seven of last eight games overall, including last three road games. Under is 8-1 in their last nine games. Senators won three of last five games, three of last four at home. Under is 4-1 in their last five games. Teams combined to go 0-6 on power play (Bruins 0-4, Ottawa 0-2). Bruins were outshot 12-0 in 2nd period of Game 2, first time they went a whole period in a playoff game without a SOG since 1939.

Washington scored 5:15 into OT to beat the younger, underdog Leafs 3-2 in Game 1, after Toronto went ahead 2-0 in first 9:44 of game. Caps outshot Toronto 44-37. have now won eight of last nine games with Maple Leafs, who have now lost their last six games in this building (under 3-1-1 in last five). Toronto won three of last four road games; under is 3-1-1 in their last five games overall. Capitals won nine of their last 11 games, five of last six at home. Under is 4-0-1 in last five Maple Leaf games. Washington wad 1-3 on power play in Game 1; Toronto was 0-1.

Nashville posted its first-ever road playoff shutout with 1-0 Game 1 win, just their second win in seven playoff games in Chicago, which has now won three of last four games with Nashville (over 3-1-1); Predators are 2-4 in their last six games in Windy City. Overall, Nashville lost five of last eight games, three of last five on road. Under is 7-1-1 in their last nine games. Blackhawks lost their last five games overall, with two OT losses; they’re 2-3 in last five home games. Under is 4-1-1 in their last five games, overall. Chicago won Stanley Cup three times in last seven years; they lost their first round series three of other four years.

Ducks won Game 1 3-2 over Calgary, outshooting Flames 41-32, scoring twice on power play. Anaheim won 10 of last 11 games vs Calgary, winning last 28 series games in the Pond- last time Flames won in Anaheim was a playoff game in 2006. Over is 5-3-1 in last nine series games. Flames lost four of last five games overall; they’re 2-5 in last seven road games. Ducks won five in row, nine of last 11 games; they won last seven home games. Over is 4-2-3 in their last nine games. Calgary is in playoffs for only second time in last eight years; they’re 1-4 in first round series since losing ’04 Cup Finals.

NHL

Saturday, April 15

Trend Report

3:00 PM
BOSTON vs. OTTAWA
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Boston's last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Boston's last 5 games when playing Ottawa
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Ottawa's last 5 games when playing at home against Boston
Ottawa is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing Boston

TORONTO vs. WASHINGTON
Toronto is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Washington
Toronto is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games on the road
Washington is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games when playing Toronto
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Washington's last 5 games when playing at home against Toronto

NASHVILLE vs. CHICAGO
Nashville is 2-9 SU in its last 11 games when playing on the road against Chicago
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Nashville's last 6 games on the road
Chicago is 9-2 SU in its last 11 games when playing at home against Nashville
Chicago is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Nashville

CALGARY vs. ANAHEIM
Calgary is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
Calgary is 16-8 SU in its last 24 games
Anaheim is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
Anaheim is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home

Tokens
NHL
Dunkel

Saturday, April 15

Calgary @ Anaheim

Game 85-86
April 15, 2017 @ 10:30 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Calgary
Anaheim
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Anaheim
by 2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Anaheim
Dunkel Pick:
Anaheim
(-155); Under

Nashville @ Chicago

Game 83-84
April 15, 2017 @ 8:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Nashville
Chicago
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Chicago
by 4
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Chicago
Dunkel Pick:
Chicago
(-175); Over

Toronto @ Washington

Game 81-82
April 15, 2017 @ 7:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Toronto
Washington
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Toronto
by 2 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Washington
Dunkel Pick:
Toronto
(+210); Over

Boston @ Ottawa

Game 79-80
April 15, 2017 @ 3:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Boston
Ottawa
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Boston
by 2 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Boston
Dunkel Pick:
Boston
(-115); Under

Tokens
NHL

Saturday, April 15

Saturday's NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Betting Preview and Odds

The Blackhawks are just 3-6 in playoff openers since Joel Quenneville became head coach, but they do have three Stanley Cup wins in that span.

Boston Bruins at Ottawa Senators (-105, 5)

Bruins lead series 1-0

ABOUT THE BRUINS: Already missing injured defensemen Torey Krug and Brandon Carlo, Boston likely will be without blue-liner Colin Miller as well, making the decision to sign Charlie McAvoy look brilliant rather the desperation move it appeared to be. Fresh out of Boston University and with just four games of AHL experience on his resume, the 19-year-old McAvoy turned in an eye-opening NHL debut, playing 24-plus minutes while paired with captain Zdeno Chara. "There’s not much more you can say than he was phenomenal,” center Patrice Bergeron said of McAvoy, a first-round pick in 2016.

ABOUT THE SENATORS: While Boston's blue line is in tatters, Ottawa could be receiving a boost along its defense corps with the potential return of Marc Method, who has been sidelined since March 23 after his finger was slashed by Sidney Crosby. “I felt pretty good," Methot said after Friday's practice. "At this point, we’re going to have to wait until tomorrow morning and see what happens and discuss everything with the coaches and the trainers.” Bobby Ryan, who ended a 13-game goal drought in the regular-season finale, scored against Boston and recorded a game-high six shots on goal.

LINE HISTORY: The Senators opened this game as very slight home underdogs at +100 and while they're still pups the line has moved in their direction a bit to the current number of -105. Oddsmakers pegged the total for Game 2 at 5.

INJURY REPORT:

Bruins - C N. Acciari (Questionable Saturday, upper body), D B. Carlo (Doubtful Saturday, upper body), C D. Krejci (Out Satuday, upper body), D C. Miller (Out Saturday, knee), D T. Krug (Out indefinitely, lower body).

Senators - D M. Methot (Questionable Saturday, Finger).

TRENDS:

* Bruins are 5-0 in their last five first round games.
* Senators are 1-6 in their last seven games playing on two days rest.
* Under is 5-0 in the Bruins last five games overall.
* Under is 6-0 in the Senators last six games playing on two days rest.

Toronto Maple Leafs at Washington Capitals (-250, 5.5)

Capitals lead series 1-0

ABOUT THE MAPLE LEAFS: Toronto's youth was on display early as 19-year-old rookie Mitch Marner scored 1:35 into the game and defenseman Jake Gardner doubled the advantage eight minutes later. "I just think we didn't come with any nerves," Marner said of the Maple Leafs, who had nine players making their playoff debuts and their entire lineup having just 292 combined postseason appearances, as opposed to Washington boasting more than 1,000 spread across its lineup. "Just come in here and play a hockey game, and I think that was what we all did." Defenseman Nikita Zaitsev (upper body) will have to wait to make his playoff debut as his spirited argument to compete in Game 2 was denied by Babcock on Friday.

ABOUT THE CAPITALS: Captain Alex Ovechkin traditionally has the answer for most of the problems on the ice, but the three-time Hart Trophy winner was at a loss for his team's slow start out of the gate. "It's hard to say what was up there," Ovechkin told reporters. "Maybe we were a little bit nervous, maybe kind of feel the pressure a little bit. But when they score, all the bench said, 'Just calm down and let's play our way.' " Ovechkin and T.J. Oshie (team co-leaders with 33 goals) found it hard to do that against a tenacious Toronto defense as each mustered just one shot, although the latter set up Williams' first tally for his seventh point (five goals, two assists) in his last seven playoff games.

LINE HISTORY: The Capitals opened Game 2 as big -265 favorites, but thanks to the Leafs strong outting in Game 1, bettors have moved the line down to -250. As for the total, oddsmakers opened it at 5 and it been bet up to 5.5.

INJURY REPORT:

Maple Leafs - D N. Zaitsev (Out Saturday, upper body), LW J. Leivo (Out indefinitely, undisclosed), RW N. Soshnikov (Out indefinitely, undisclosed).

TRENDS:

* Maple Leafs are 1-8 in the last nine meetings.
* Home team is 21-8 in the last 29 meetings.
* Under is 4-1 in the Maple Leafs last five games overall.
* Under is 5-0-1 in the Capitals last six games overall.

Nashville Predators at Chicago Blackhawks (-175, 5)

Predators lead series 1-0

ABOUT THE PREDATORS: The Predators have a chance to take a commanding edge over an opponent that eliminated them in six games in a first-round series two years ago. The 29-save performance of Pekka Rinne was huge for obvious reasons, especially given the fact that Chicago piled up 18 goals in winning the last four matchups his season. "If you are going to make a deep playoff run, everyone is going to have to be great," Predators defenseman Ryan Ellis said. "But your goalie is going to have to be your best player because there are going to be times where he is going to have to be the difference maker and tonight he was phenomenal." Nashville's top line delivered the lone goal, with Viktor Arvidsson converting on a pass from Filip Forsberg.

ABOUT THE BLACKHAWKS: Chicago is only 3-6 in playoff openers since Joel Quenneville took over behind the bench, a span in which it has three Stanley Cups. With Chicago going nearly 14 minutes without a shot on goal in the first period of Game 1, rookie Nick Schmaltz found himself on the bench for a brief time -- a move that could translate into Game 2. Fellow rookies Ryan Hartman and John Hayden both took turns on the line with captain Jonathan Toews and Richard Panik during Friday's practice while Schmaltz was moved to Marcus Kruger's line, which was missing Marian Hossa (rest). "I don’t know if I was nervous or what I was, but I just felt like I was just getting rid of the puck when I had it," Schmaltz said after practice.

LINE HISTORY: Oddsmakers opened the Blackhawks as moderate -180 favorites for Game to, but the number has moved down slightly to the current number of -175. The total is on the board at 5.

INJURY REPORT:

Predators - LW C. Wilson (Questionable Saturday, lower body), LW V. Fiddler (Questionable Ssasturday, upper body).

Blackhawks - LW A. Desjardins (Questionable Saturday, lower body), D M. Rozsival (Out indefinitely, face).

TRENDS:

* Predators are 8-2 in their last 10 games vs. Western Conference opponents.
* Blackhawks are 0-5 in their last five games overall.
* Under is 7-1-1 in the Predators last nine games overall.
* Under is 4-0 in the Blackhawks last four games overall.

Calgary Flames at Anaheim Ducks (-155, 5)

Ducks lead series 1-0

ABOUT THE FLAMES: Brian Elliott dragged a dismal 1-7-3 mark against the Ducks with a 3.20 goals-against average and .884 save percentage into the series, but the 32-year-old was done in by his mates - rather than his 38-save performance on Thursday. "It's tough when we give them everything," Elliott said. "Two power-play goals and a bad change, it's not like they really earned it that much. We kind of gave it to them. We clean things up (in Game 2) and we take care of business." Kris Versteeg has been all business this month as he set up goals by centers Sean Monahan and Sam Bennett on Thursday to increase his point total to 10 (two goals, eight assists) in his last eight games.

ABOUT THE DUCKS: The streaking Ducks will vie for their 29th consecutive home win and a commanding 2-0 series lead over the Flames on Saturday. Jakob Silfverberg scored and set up a goal Thursday to increase his playoff point total to six (one goal, five assists) in his last five contests. Fellow forward Rickard Rakell (team-leading 33 goals) also tallied to extend his point streak to three games, during which he has two goals and three assists. Ryan Kesler was held off the scoresheet for the third time in four contests but contributed in the series opener by winning 13 of 21 draws to help Anaheim seize a decided 49-29 edge in the faceoff circle.

LINE HISTORY: The Ducks opened Game 2 as fairly large -186 home favorites, but they have been faded all the way down to -155. Oddsmakers opened the total at a low 4.5, but the number was quickly bet up to 5.

INJURY REPORT:

Flames - G C. Johnson (Questionable Saturday, leg).

Ducks - D K. Holzer (Questionable Saturday, personal), D C. Stoner (Questionable Satruday, abdominal), LW N. Ritchie (Eligible Saturday, suspension), D C. Fowler (Mid May, knee).

TRENDS:

* Flames are 0-28 in their last 28 games in Anaheim.
* Once again because it is so mind-boggling. The Flames are 0-28 in their last 28 games in Anaheim.
* Ducks are 5-0 in their last five games overall.
* Under is 3-0-3 in the Flames last six road games.
* Over is 4-1 in Ducks last 5 games after allowing two goals or less in their previous game.

Tokens
NHL playoffs producing plenty of profits for Under bettors
By: Jason Logan

You’d be hard pressed to find another postseason tournament with as much intensity as the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs. Just look at the shape of some of these faces after only one round… yeesh. And so far, that intensity has translated into Under profits for NHL totals bettors.

Through three days of competition, the Stanley Cup playoffs have produced a 1-9-2 Over/Under mark, with postseason games featuring just 3.75 goals per game. That’s a 90 percent winning clip for fans of low-scoring hockey and a near two-goal drop in scoring compared to the regular season.

While this three-day Under run is a small sample size, Under results in the postseason are common place in the opening round, especially for the Eastern Conference side of the bracket. Eastern Conference first round games went 14-26-7 Over/Under the past two seasons – 65 percent Unders – and have a combined record of 38-40-16 O/U since 2013, compared to 46-31-18 O/U over in the Western Conference.

So far in 2017, Eastern Conference first round games are 1-5 O/U while the West is 0-4-2 O/U, heading into Saturday’s action. That’s a 15-31-7 O/U mark in the first round of the East Conference playoffs the past three years (more than 67 percent winners for Unders).

And, for what it’s worth, the lone Over result from these playoffs looked like a push with the 5-goal total for all but 17 seconds of the Rangers-Canadiens Game 2 Friday, when Montreal tied the game 3-3 in the dying seconds and eventually won in overtime.

Oddsmakers find themselves in a bit of a bind when it comes to hockey totals. The majority of games see totals of either five or 5.5 goals, with the juice shaded on the Over or Under depending on the number and teams involved. Friday’s Canadiens-Rangers game had the Under five goals juiced around -145 while hockey bettors could get the Under five goals in San Jose-Edmonton at the standard -110 line.

Books are hesitant to drop a total into the 4.5-goal range but did so for Saturday’s showdown between the Flames and Ducks. However, that number did stick around long as Over money smashed it back up to the standard 5-goal total.

This low-scoring opening round is a bit contradictory to the regular season results. NHL games finished with a collective 529-549-152 Over/Under record in 2016-17, but scoring was up to a six-year high of 5.54 goals per game (most goals since 5.58 goals per game in 2010-11) and oddsmakers even posted totals of six and 6.5 goals – something that hadn’t happened in almost three seasons of hockey.

Tokens
NHL roundup: Predators drub Blackhawks, take 2-0 lead
April 15, 2017

CHICAGO -- Goaltender Pekka Rinne stopped all 30 shots he faced to earn his second shutout in a row, and the Nashville Predators pulled away for a 5-0 win over the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday night.

Rinne has made 59 saves without allowing a goal in the past two games to help Nashville grab a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven Western Conference quarterfinal. The series will shift to Nashville for Games 3 and 4.

Ryan Ellis, Harry Zolnierczyk, Colton Sissons, Ryan Johansen and Kevin Fiala each scored for the Predators. Rinne collected two secondary assists in addition to posting his third career shutout in the playoffs.

Chicago goaltender Corey Crawford allowed five goals on 29 shots in the loss.

Maple Leafs 4, Capitals 3 (2OT)

WASHINGTON -- Kasperi Kapanen scored his second goal of the game at 11:53 of the second overtime and Toronto defeated Washington to even their best-of-seven series at one game apiece.

Toronto's Brian Boyle, skating behind the net, backhanded a pass out to Kapanen, who beat Braden Holtby to the short side. Game 3 is Monday night in Toronto.

Frederik Andersen (47 saves) stopped Alex Ovechkin on a breakaway in the final minute of the first overtime. James van Riemsdyk and Morgan Rielly also scored for Toronto. Nicklas Backstrom, Ovechkin and defenseman John Carlson had goals for Washington while Holtby made 47 saves.

Senators 4, Bruins 3 (OT)

OTTAWA -- Defenseman Dion Phaneuf scored from the point at 1:59 of overtime to give Ottawa a series-evening victory over Boston at Canadian Tire Centre.

The Senators rallied from a 3-1 third-period deficit with goal 2:20 by Chris Wideman and Derick Brassard. The series now switches to Boston for Games 3 and 4 on Monday and Wednesday.

Clarke MacArthur also scored for Ottawa. Drew Stafford, Tim Schaller and Patrice Bergeron replied for the Bruins. Craig Anderson made 26 saves in the Senators net while Tuukka Rask stopped 25 shots for Boston.

Ducks 3, Flames 2

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Anaheim center Ryan Getzlaf again captained his team to a victory over visiting Calgary, scoring the game-winning goal late in the third period.

The Ducks took a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series, which shifts to Calgary for Games 3 and 4 beginning Monday night. The outcome was Anaheim's 29th straight home win over the Flames, the longest such streak in league history.

Jakob Silfverberg and Rickard Rakell also scored while John Gibson made 35 saves for Anaheim. Mikael Backlund and Sean Monahan had goals for the Flames.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rozgar
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com