Cnotes 2017 College Football News-Rumours-Etc !

Search

Tokens
2017 FCS vs. FBS: MEAC
May 10, 2017

(STATS) - Coming off a 2016 season in which their 10 wins over FBS programs tied for the fourth-most in a season, FCS programs hope to make a mark again in 2017.

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference teams are involved in 12 of the nearly 100 matchups. Half are against Power-5 conference programs, including Delaware State with a pair.

Here's a look at this year's matchups involving MEAC teams:

The Matchups (12)
- Bethune-Cookman: Miami (Sept. 2) and Florida Atlantic (Sept. 16); Delaware State: West Virginia (Sept. 16) and Florida State (Nov. 18); Florida A&M: Arkansas (Aug. 31); Hampton: Ohio (Sept. 2); Howard: UNLV (Sept. 2) and Kent State (Sept. 9); Morgan State: Rutgers (Sept. 16); North Carolina A&T: Charlotte (Sept. 16); North Carolina Central: Duke (Sept. 2); Savannah State: Appalachian State (Sept. 9).

Glamour Game - Bethune-Cookman at Miami (Sept. 2). The Wildcats know what to expect against the U, which beat them by a combined 128-24 in games in 2011, '12 and '15. With an experienced quarterback, Larry Brihm Jr., among their 15 returning starters, a strong effort could serve as a potential springboard for a bounce-back season.

Upset Alert
- North Carolina A&T at Charlotte (Sept. 16). The Aggies have a big hole to fill without all-time MEAC rushing leader Tarik Cohen, but they learned last year how to beat an FBS opponent, working four overtimes at Kent State. Charlotte has played only two seasons on the FBS level and is 2-10 at home during that time.

Notable -
Norfolk State and South Carolina State are not playing FBS programs this season. It's quite the change for SCSU, which opened last season by facing UCF, Louisiana Tech and Clemson. â?¦ Defending MEAC champ North Carolina Central will head across Durham to face Duke for the fourth time in five seasons. Duke won the other three games by a combined 149-6. â?¦ New Howard coach Mike London will open his tenure with back-to-back FBS opponents in UNLV and Kent State. â?¦ Coming off a winless season, Delaware State's visits to West Virginia and Florida State could resemble last year's 79-0 drubbing at Missouri. â?¦ Florida A&M's matchup with Arkansas is its first game against an SEC opponent since losing 63-3 to Florida on Sept. 13, 2003. â?¦ Savannah State is coming off just its second FCS season with more than two wins, but since 2012, it's lost to 11 FBS opponents by an incredible 717-48. This year, second-year coach Erik Raeburn's team will play a later season opener on Sept. 9 against Appalachian State. â?¦ Rutgers has come to face MEAC teams annually, but that's ending with Morgan State on Sept. 16 because Big Ten schools are ceasing matchups versus the FCS. â?¦ Hampton's first-ever game against Ohio U. kicks off a season in which the Pirates are celebrating the school's 150th anniversary.

2017 FCS vs. FBS: CAA Football
May 9, 2017

(STATS) - Coming off a 2016 season in which their 10 wins over FBS programs tied for the fourth-most in a campaign, FCS teams hope to make a mark again in 2017.

CAA Football teams are involved in 12 of the nearly 100 matchups, including Maine playing in two of them. Since 1998, CAA teams have beaten at least one FBS opponent in all but four seasons.

Here's a look at this year's matchups involving CAA teams:

The Matchups (12)
- Albany: Old Dominion (Sept. 2); Delaware: Virginia Tech (Sept. 9); Elon: Toledo (Sept. 2); James Madison: East Carolina (Sept. 2); Maine: UCF (Sept. 30) and Massachusetts (Nov. 11); New Hampshire: Georgia Southern (Sept. 9); Rhode Island: Central Michigan (Aug. 31); Stony Brook: South Florida (Sept. 2); Towson: Maryland (Sept. 2); Villanova: Temple (Sept. 9); William & Mary: Virginia (Sept. 2)

Glamour Game - Maine vs. Massachusetts at Fenway Park (Nov. 11). The historic venue makes Maine's second FBS matchup of the season stand out, but second-year coach Joe Harasymiak and his veteran team (17 starters) must be eyeing an upset against old rival UMass. Their last meeting in 2013 netted the Black Bears' second-ever win over an FBS opponent, 24-14.

Upset Alert
- James Madison at East Carolina (Sept. 2). Upset? OK, the reigning FCS national champion Dukes might be the favorite when they begin their title defense. Coach Mike Houston returns 12 starters, including quarterback and 2016 CAA offensive player of the year Bryan Schor. East Carolina finished a mere 2-9 last season.

Notable - Four CAA programs have new coaches, but only Elon's Curt Cignetti is making his debut against an FBS opponent (Toledo). â?¦ Richmond, which knocked off Virginia to open last season, is not playing an FBS opponent for the first time since 2003. â?¦ New Hampshire's run of 13 straight FCS playoff appearances began in 2004 with a 27-23 win at Georgia Southern. It's their only previous meeting. â?¦ Delaware's high-profile game at Virginia Tech, which went 10-4 last season, is a first-ever meeting, as is Rhode Island's trip to Central Michigan. â?¦ The Mayor's Cup in Philadelphia will be on the line when Villanova and Temple meet at Lincoln Financial Field. Their series is tied 15-15-2, although Temple has won the last three matchups. â?¦ Albany is playing an FBS opponent for just a third time, having split two games with Buffalo over the last two seasons. Albany's only game against Old Dominion - a 66-10 loss in 2013 - occurred when the Monarchs were transitioning out of the FCS. â?¦ Stony Brook kicks off its season at South Florida in new coach Charlie Strong's first home game with the Bulls. The Seawolves' 59-14 loss to USF at Raymond James Stadium in 2010 came before an announced attendance of 40,210 which is the largest to witness a Stony Brook game. â?¦ William & Mary's trip to Virginia will mark the start of coach Jimmye Laycock's 38th season with the Tribe. No FCS coach has been with his program longer. â?¦ Towson running back Terrance West was early in his freshman season in 2011 when the Tigers lost at Maryland 28-3 in their only previous meeting. He went on to win the Jerry Rice Award as the FCS freshman of the year and led Towson to the national championship game as a junior in 2013.

Tokens
Auburn QB Woody Barrett to transfer
May 8, 2017

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) Auburn quarterback Woody Barrett says he's transferring.

The third-year sophomore announced his decision on Twitter Monday, but didn't say what school he planned to attend.

Barrett, who is from Winter Garden, Florida, didn't play last season. He was the nation's No. 6 dual-threat quarterback in 2016 according to the 247Sports composite rankings.

The battle for the starting job appears down to returnee Sean White and transfer Jarrett Stidham. Freshman mid-year enrollee Malik Willis also saw significant action in the Tigers' spring game.

Barrett saw limited playing time in the spring game, completing both of his pass attempts for 14 yards. Reserve quarterback Tyler Queen has also left the program.

He topped 2,000 passing yards and 1,400 rushing yards as a high school senior.

Arkansas RB Williams to quit football
May 8, 2017

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) Rawleigh Williams returned to the football field last season following a broken neck only after assurances from doctors.

A second scare that left him sprawled out on the Razorbacks' indoor practice field last week has ended his career.

Williams announced his decision to walk away from football in an article on the school's website on Monday, prematurely ending the career for one of the most promising young running backs in college football.

''It still doesn't seem real yet, but I really don't have a choice,'' Williams wrote. ''I've dodged the bullet twice. I realize that at the end of the day I want to live a normal life and be around my family.''

Williams, who was third in the Southeastern Conference with 1,360 yards rushing last season, suffered what coach Bret Bielema called a ''stinger'' during the team's final spring practice a week ago. He fell to the ground after a light hit during a partial-contact portion of practice, remaining there while trainers rushed to his side before loading him onto a stretcher and then taking him to the hospital in an ambulance.

That came a year and a half after the 5-foot-10, 226-pound running back was originally injured as a freshman against Auburn in 2015 .

While he was able to move his fingers, Williams' family was on hand for last week's practice and was clearly shaken by the sight. Williams and his family met doctors and later with Bielema before arriving at the decision to not risk a permanently disabling injury.

''This next chapter in Rawleigh's life will be filled with unlimited success in any career path or anyway of life he chooses,'' Bielema said. ''As a head coach I couldn't be more excited to begin the next chapter with him and be there for him.''

Williams said he was barely able to feel his hand and that it was really weak immediately following his latest injury. He said feeling in his body began to return quickly, but also that he knew the injury ''was similar enough'' to his previous neck injury.

''The first thing I thought when it all happened was the reaction of my mom, dad, sister and brother,'' Williams said. ''I didn't want them to go through this all over again. I just wanted to stand up to calm them down and show them that I was OK.''

Williams said he has watched a replay of the latest hit, and that because it was a normal hit he now understands that ''any little thing can trigger it.''

''I also saw the reaction of my mom and my sister,'' Williams said. ''That broke my heart. I can't do this anymore. I want to be able to walk.''

Williams said he plans to continue his education so that he can follow his father's childhood advice: ''Don't work to just be the guy in the jersey on Sundays. Work to be the guy in the nice suit that's in the suite of the stadium making all the decisions.''

''I am very grateful,'' Williams said. ''It is sad but I truly believe God has a plan for my life. I believe I'm going to be blessed more than I could ever imagine. Even though my plan isn't going to happen, I know that his plan is better than my plan.''

2017 FCS vs. FBS: Big South
May 8, 2017

(STATS) - Coming off a 2016 season in which their 10 wins over FBS programs tied for the fourth most in a season, FCS programs hope to make a mark again in 2017.

Big South teams are involved in four of the nearly 100 matchups. The conference hasn't had great success against FBS opponents, but long-time power Liberty, whose program will rise to the FBS level next year, posted wins in 2014 (Appalachian State) and '15 (Georgia State).

Here's a look at this year's games involving Big South teams:

The matchups (4)
- Charleston Southern vs. Mississippi State (Sept. 2); Gardner-Webb vs. Wyoming (Sept. 9); Liberty vs. Baylor (Sept. 2); Presbyterian vs. Wake Forest (Aug. 31)

Glamour Game - Liberty at Baylor. The Flames, under coach Turner Gill, begin their final season in the FCS with their only FBS matchup - a first meeting with Baylor. Their 2018 schedule will be FBS-centric, with the Flames required to play at least three home games against FBS opponents.

Upset Alert - Gardner-Webb at Wyoming. Quarterback Tyrell Maxwell and running back Khalil Lewis provide a dangerous 1-2 duo for a Gardner-Webb program which has only played as far west as Laramie once before (Montana State in 2003). The Runnin' Bulldogs won at Akron in 2010.

Notable
- Kennesaw State's third-year program has yet to play an FBS program, but the Owls have future dates scheduled with Georgia State (2018), Kent State (2019 and 2020) and Georgia Tech (2021). ... Monmouth also won't play an FBS game this season after playing the first two in program history the last two years, losing 31-10 to Central Michigan in 2015 and 27-7 to Kent State last season. ... Tommy Spangler begins his second stint as Presbyterian's coach when the Blue Hose face Wake Forest, while Mark Tucker will debut as Charleston Southern's coach in the Buccaneers' first meeting with Mississippi State. Presbyterian is 0-11 all-time against FBS competition and Charleston Southern, the Big South's two-time defending champ, is 0-19. ... The Big South will add new members in Campbell next year and North Alabama in 2019.

Tokens
2017 FCS vs. FBS: Big Sky
May 5, 2017

(STATS) - Coming off a 2016 season in which their 10 wins over FBS programs tied for the fourth-most in a season, FCS programs hope to make a mark again in 2017.

Big Sky teams are involved in 16 of the nearly 100 matchups. The FCS' largest conference often plays a role in the success, such as Eastern Washington's 45-42 win at Washington State last September.

Here's a look at this year's matchups involving Big Sky teams:

The Matchups (16
) - Cal Poly: San Jose State (Sept. 2); Eastern Washington: Texas Tech (Sept. 2); Idaho State: Utah State (Sept. 7) and Nevada (Sept. 16); Montana: Washington (Sept. 9); Montana State: Washington State (Sept. 2); North Dakota: Utah (Aug. 31); Northern Arizona: Arizona (Sept. 2); Northern Colorado: Florida (Sept. 9) and Colorado (Sept. 16); Portland State: BYU (Aug. 26) and Oregon State (Sept. 2); Sacramento State: Idaho (Aug. 31); Southern Utah: Oregon (Sept. 2); UC Davis: San Diego State (Sept. 2); Weber State: California (Sept. 9)

Glamour Game - Montana at Washington (Sept. 9). Washington made the College Football Playoff last season, losing to Alabama in the semifinals (Peach Bowl). The Grizzlies, facing an FBS opponent for just the third time since 2006, believe their trip to Seattle will benefit recruiting. The two programs were both members in the Pacific Coast Conference from 1924 to 1950, and last faced each other in 1951.

Upset Alert
- Cal Poly at San Jose State (Sept. 2). All-America fullback Joe Protheroe and the Mustangs' triple-option offense will have played a game already (Colgate on Aug. 27) when they face a Mountain West squad that had a 4-8 record and ranked 122nd out of 128 FBS teams in rushing defense last season.

Notable - All 13 Big Sky programs are playing an FBS opponent. â?¦ Two new Big Sky coaches, Eastern Washington's Aaron Best (Texas Tech) and UC Davis' Dan Hawkins (San Diego State), will make their debuts against FBS programs. Interestingly, Best's predecessor, Beau Baldwin, also made his EWU debut against Texas Tech, falling 49-24 in 2008. UC Davis will play San Diego State for the first time. â?¦ Idaho State will face its two FBS opponents after new coach Rob Phenicie debuts against Division II Western Oregon. â?¦ Second-year Montana State coach Jeff Choate served as an assistant under Washington State coach Mike Leach in 2012. â?¦ Portland State will have an early start to its season (Aug. 26) because BYU plays at Hawaii this year and the NCAA allows the visiting team to have 13 regular-season games. â?¦ Not only is Northern Colorado facing an SEC opponent (Florida) for the first time, its follow-up game (Colorado) gives the Bears two FBS games in the same season for the first time since joining the Big Sky in 2006. â?¦ Weber State's first-ever game against Cal is its fourth against a Pac-12 team in five years. â?¦ In Utah, North Dakota is playing a Pac-12 opponent for the first time since a 0-0 tie against Oregon in 1931. â?¦ Northern Arizona has lost 12 straight meetings with Arizona, including 77-13 in 2015 in quarterback Case Cookus' third career start. He went on to win STATS national freshman of the year honors. â?¦ Idaho, Sacramento State's FBS opponent, will rejoin the Big Sky as a member in 2018. â?¦ New Oregon coach Willie Taggart will make his debut when the Ducks host Southern Utah.

Judge rips USF coach Charlie Strong
May 3, 2017

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) A judge presiding over the first appearance of a South Florida football player charged with sexual battery not only had harsh words for the athlete in court, but questioned whether new coach Charlie Strong is a good fit for the program.

Circuit Judge Margaret Taylor of Hillsborough County told defensive end LaDarrius Jackson during a hearing Wednesday that she is a USF graduate who is ''embarrassed and ashamed'' in the wake of two separate arrests involving members of the team since March.

Jackson, 22, was arrested late Monday after a female acquaintance said earlier in the day that he assaulted her in student housing. Jackson was removed from team activity after being charged with sexual battery and false imprisonment.

Another USF football player arrested in March, Hassan Childs, was dismissed from the squad after being charged with aggravated assault and possession of marijuana in March.

Taylor had harsh words Jackson and Strong, the former Louisville and Texas coach who has been at USF since December. Strong replaced Willie Taggart, who left the Bulls for Oregon.

''Coach Strong, if you are listening, in the last couple of months there have been two arrests of your players for very violent felonies. This court, and I'm sure I'm not alone, questions whether you have control over your players,'' the judge said in a courtroom video obtained by the Tampa Bay Times from television station WTSP.

''It's fairly clear you do not have control of them off the field, and I guess only time will tell whether you have control over them on the field,'' she added. ''I would implore you to think long and hard about whether being head coach at USF is a good fit for you before any other members of this community have to suffer at the hands of one of your players.''

Strong released a statement later Wednesday defending his program following the judge's unusual courtroom comments.

''In the short time I have been here our program has been built on character, discipline and family. We have wonderful young men in the USF football program who choose to do the right thing every day,'' the coach said.

''While I am shocked and saddened at the recent arrest of a member of our team, I am disappointed that the actions of two players over the last two months have harmed the reputation of our program, of our wonderful university and of my character,'' Strong added. ''We have high expectations of our coaches, staff and student-athletes and we hold accountable those who act contrary to our values.''

Before Taylor's admonishment of Strong, the judge had some candid comments for Jackson, saying ''assuming the facts surrounding your charges are true, your behavior is reprehensible.''

''I'm an alumni, graduated from USF in 1989, long before there was a football team,'' Taylor said ''And while USF may not be the top-ranked school in the nation, I was never ashamed of being an alum until now,'' the judge added. ''Embarrassed and ashamed, Mr. Jackson. Let's just say that my USF diploma is not proudly hanging in my office right now.''

Utah, Wyoming to play home-and-home
May 3, 2017

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) The Utah and Wyoming football programs have agreed to a home-and-home series to be played in 2020 and 2025.

The Cowboys are scheduled to host the first game in Laramie, Wyoming, on Sept. 19, 2020. The Utes will welcome Wyoming to Salt Lake City on Sept. 6, 2025.

The two teams have met 83 times with Utah leading 51-31-1. The programs were fellow conference members in the Rocky Mountain, Big Seven, Skyline, Western Athletic and Mountain West before Utah moved to the Pac-12 in 2011.

Tokens
Wake Forest dismisses QB Kearns
May 3, 2017

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) Wake Forest has dismissed backup quarterback Kyle Kearns from the team for a violation of team rules.

Coach Dave Clawson announced the dismissal Wednesday. The school's news release didn't specify the nature of the violation.

Kearns played in five games as a redshirt freshman in 2016 but would have entered preseason practice behind three-year starter John Wolford and Kendall Hinton on the depth chart.

He made his only start against Clemson and played much of the second half of the Military Bowl victory against Temple. Both appearances came when both Wolford and Hinton were out with injuries.

Kearns completed 13 of 25 passes for 206 yards last season.

Jenkins directing Cal Poly's triple option
May 3, 2017

(STATS) - Cal Poly quarterback Khaleel Jenkins wore uniform No. 14 as a true freshman in 2015 and No. 2 last year. This year, he's sporting No. 10 - his high school number.

It seems to fit just right as the junior settles into the starting job of leading the Mustangs' triple option offense. The Big Sky program is set to conclude spring practice on Saturday with its annual intrasquad game at Alex G. Spanos Stadium in San Luis Obispo.

"Khaleel made extraordinary growth in practice last fall," Cal Poly coach Tim Walsh said, "and at 6-2 and 205 pounds, he's big for a quarterback and one of our best athletes. He needs game experience, no question about that, but our expectations are that he can run our offense. He is a good runner and an efficient thrower."

Quarterback is always pivotal for one of the leading rushing attacks in the FCS. Jenkins started one game in 2015 and appeared in four more last season as the backup to Dano Graves, who is now Cal Poly's quarterbacks coach.

While Jenkins will call his number often on keepers, he will have plenty of options in the backfield. Senior fullback Joe Protheroe, who rushed for 1,334 yards and 13 touchdowns last season, is a returning All-American, while slot back Kyle Lewis and fullback Jared Mohamed combined for another 934 yards on the ground. They'll work behind experienced offensive linemen.

The Mustangs hope to build on last year's 7-5 season which ended in the FCS playoffs. They posted signature wins over South Dakota State and Montana, with their losses against an FBS team (Nevada) and four other FCS playoff qualifiers.

QB Sheriron Jones leaving Tennessee
May 2, 2017

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) Quarterback Sheriron Jones is leaving Tennessee's program again.

Tennessee athletic department spokesman Stephen Lee confirmed Tuesday that Jones has been granted his release to transfer. 247Sports first reported Jones was transferring.

Jones had left Tennessee's team in January 2016 to transfer to Colorado, but he returned to the Volunteers later that month.

He played in one game and threw one pass last season. In Tennessee's April 22 spring game, Jones went 1 of 4 for 2 yards and had a 7-yard run.

Jones had been competing for the right to replace Pittsburgh Steelers fourth-round draft pick Joshua Dobbs as Tennessee's starting quarterback. Quinten Dormady and Jarrett Guarantano are thought to be the leaders in that race, though Tennessee coach Butch Jones said after the spring game nobody has an edge.

Tokens
Big 12 players poised to break out
May 2, 2017

A look at football players in the Big 12 Conference this spring who are poised to have standout seasons beginning this fall:

BAYLOR

WR Blake Lynch, sophomore. The speedy Lynch will get a chance to be a top receiving target sooner rather than later after KD Cannon and Ishmael Zamora both left school early, signing NFL free agent rookie deals after going undrafted last week. Lynch had 34 catches for 404 yards and three touchdowns last season behind his teammates who were 1-2 in the Big 12 for receptions per game.

IOWA STATE

RB David Montgomery, sophomore. Montgomery was so good as a freshman that he supplanted Mike Warren - who led all freshman nationally in rushing yards in 2015 - toward the end of last season. Montgomery averaged 5.2 yards per carry and closed the season with 141 yards against West Virginia.

KANSAS

DE Josh Ehambe, junior. Ehambe dazzled in the spring game after moving back to his natural position from linebacker, where he played for the Jayhawks last season. He had three sacks while showing he could provide a dynamic bookend to last year's breakout star, Dorance Armstrong.

KANSAS STATE

RB Alex Barnes, sophomore. After beginning last season buried on the depth chart, Barnes wound up rushing for 442 yards and six touchdowns on just 56 carries. That was good enough for second in school history in both categories by a freshman running back.

OKLAHOMA

RBs Abdul Adams and/or Rodney Anderson, sophomores. With 1,000-yard rushers Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine both picked in the NFL draft after leaving Oklahoma early, there is a clear opening for the young, talented running backs. Adams had 283 yards rushing on 53 carries (5.3 yards per carry) in limited chances last season. Anderson is healthy again, though intentionally limited in spring practice after sustaining a broken neck in preseason camp last fall. He also broke his leg on special teams in his second game as a true freshman in 2015.

OKLAHOMA STATE

WR Tyron Johnson, sophomore. The transfer from LSU already has established himself as a favorite target for Heisman contender quarterback Mason Rudolph. The speedy Johnson was a five-star recruit coming out of high school. With so many talented players around him, including Biletnikoff Award contender James Washington, Johnson likely will have some favorable matchups.

TCU

WR KaVontae Turpin, junior. Poised for a breakout last season, Turpin suffered a knee injury early and still averaged 123 all-purpose yards in his eight games. He missed much of this spring practice for academic reasons, but coach Gary Patterson said he earned his way back. In two seasons, Turpin has averaged 27.5 yards on kickoff returns and 11.3 yards on punt returns, with two TDs. He also had eight receiving TDs as a freshman in 2015.

TEXAS

WR Collin Johnson, sophomore. The 6-foot-6 Californian should be the new weapon in the Texas offense. He caught two touchdowns in the spring game and has the size, speed and soft hands to be a matchup nightmare for defensive backs and a favorite target for quarterback Shane Buechele.

TEXAS TECH

CB Octavious Morgan. The junior college transfer has already been called ''a real Big 12 cornerback'' by Texas Tech coaches. He had 42 tackles and three interceptions last season at Butler Community College. Morgan was a physical presence throughout his first spring practice with the Red Raiders, who in the past have given up as many points and yards as they have put up with their big-play offense.

WEST VIRGINIA

WR David Sills, junior. After trying to prove himself as a quarterback at California's El Camino College last season, Sills transferred back to West Virginia and had six catches for 96 yards in the spring game. Coach Dana Holgorsen calls Sills ''extremely, extremely football smart.'' Sills, who received a scholarship offer from Lane Kiffin at Southern California while still in middle school, had seven catches for 131 yards and two TDs while a receiver for the Mountaineers two seasons ago.

Tokens
2017 FCS draft class review
April 29, 2017

(STATS) - For the FCS, Friday night lights basically shined brighter than the sunlight did Saturday afternoon during the 2017 NFL Draft.

While this year's outdoor draft was held on the same Philadelphia Art Museum steps that Rocky made famous for underdogs, the FCS produced only 15 selections. That was down from an annual average of about 18 picks and from the 20 last year, led by the Philadelphia Eagles' selection of former North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz at No. 2 overall.

The last year with only 15 FCS picks was 2012.

The final total was a bit surprising because there were five FCS selections made Friday night - a strong number for the subdivision on the middle day of the draft. Still, the majority of FCS draft selections occur on the third and final day, and there were just 10 added to the second- and third-rounders.

But there were terrific finds as NFL teams continue to look to the FCS for impact players. This year's haul came on the heels of recent drafts producing the likes of Wentz, Arizona Cardinals running back David Johnson (2015, third round), New England Patriots quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (2014, second round), New Orleans Saints left tackle Terron Armstead (2013, third round) and Carolina Panthers cornerback Josh Norman (2012, fifth round).

The FCS can be a haven for players who fell through the cracks in FBS-level recruiting or were late-bloomers. Second-round pick Tanoh Kpassagnon of Villanova (Kansas City Chiefs) and third-rounders Cooper Kupp of Eastern Washington (Los Angeles Rams) and Derek Rivers of Youngstown State (New England Patriots) helped bring the FCS star power to this year's draft.

---=

FCS SELECTIONS IN THE 2017 NFL DRAFT=

Day 2 - Friday, April 28 (Rounds 2 and 3)

Kansas City Chiefs (2nd round, 59th overall selection) - Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova: Five-technique D-end has freakish athleticism for his size (6-foot-7, 289 pounds). The last defensive player drafted from Villanova was Pro Football Hall of Famer Howie Long (1981). CBSSports.com Pick Grade: B

Los Angeles Rams (3rd, 69) - Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington: Four-time FCS first-team All-American holds Division I records for receptions (428), receiving yards (6,464) and touchdown catches (73) in a career. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: B+

New England Patriots (3rd, 83) - Derek Rivers, DE/OLB, Youngstown State: Super Bowl champs' first pick of the draft was a pass rusher (41 career sacks) with the versatility favored by coach Bill Belichick. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: B+

Arizona Cardinals (3rd, 98) - Chad Williams, WR, Grambling State: A 13-catch, 152-yard performance against Arizona as a senior stood out for Grambling's first draft selection since 2006. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: B

Denver Broncos (3rd, 101) - Brendan Langley, CB, Lamar: At the NFL Combine, press corner flashed speed with a 4.43-second time in the 40-yard dash and showed off power with 22 reps on the 225-pound bench press (most among cornerbacks). CBSSports.com Pick Grade: C

Day 3 - Saturday, April 28 (Rounds 4 through 7)

Chicago Bears (4th, 119) - Tarik Cohen, RB, North Carolina A&T: The MEAC's all-time rushing leader (5,619 yards) figures to make the most of touches with the Bears as a runner, receiver and returner. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: D+

Los Angeles Rams (4th, 125) - Samson Ebukam, OLB, Eastern Washington: Terrific athleticism allows Nigerian-born Ebukam to make an impact in different ways. College teammate Kupp was a Rams' pick just 16 hours earlier. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: D

Houston Texans (4th, 130) - Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell: Four-year starting left tackle - Bucknell's first draft pick since 1969 - hopes to fill a role on a Texans team in need of help up front. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: B+

Detroit Lions (5th, 165) - Jamal Agnew, CB, San Diego: Despite lack of height (5-9, 180), Agnew plays with confidence and sizes up with quickness and a fluid style. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: C

New York Giants (5th, 167) - Avery Moss, DE, Youngstown State: Former Nebraska Cornhusker didn't take a secondary role to Rivers at Youngstown State, totaling 17½ tackles for loss and 10½ sacks with four forced fumbles as a senior. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: B

Atlanta Falcons (5th, 174) - Eric Saubert, TE, Drake: Developed into an excellent red-zone threat at Drake, catching 21 touchdowns, including 10 as a senior. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: B-

Denver Broncos (6th, 203) - De'Angelo Henderson, RB, Coastal Carolina: The teal turf at Coastal was great, but "Hop" was found in the end zone - he scored a touchdown in a Division I-record 35 straight games. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: C-

Tennessee Titans (6th, 217) - Corey Levin, OG, Chattanooga: Titans stayed in-state for a four-year starter who is excellent on the move. Versatile enough to gain a potential role at center. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: B

Oakland Raiders (7th, 231) - Jylan Ware, OT, Alabama State: Displays good movement for his 6-7½, 317-pound size and is considered to have quick-advancing skills for a developmental prospect. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: B

Tennessee Titans (7th, 236) - Brad Seaton, OT, Villanova. His run-blocking movement must encourage the Titans, but he needs to get stronger for pass sets. Good length at 6-7, 310. CBSSports.com Pick Grade: C+

---=

PICKS BY CONFERENCE=

It was particularly odd that the non-scholarship Pioneer Football League, which had two all-time draft picks prior to this year, had more selections than some of the larger conferences of the FCS.

Five conferences tied for the FCS high with two selections each.

The breakdown by conference: CAA, Big Sky, Missouri Valley, Pioneer League and SWAC - 2 selections each; MEAC, Patriot League, Southern, Southland and FCS Independent - 1 selection each; and Big South, Ivy League, Northeast and Ohio Valley - no selections.

---=

NOTABLE=

Talk about a stacked playing field: When Youngstown State and Eastern Washington met in a memorable national semifinal last December, there were four 2017 draft picks on the field: Rivers and Moss for Youngstown State, which won 40-38 on a last-second touchdown, and Kupp and Ebukam for Eastern Washington. â?¦ The most-drafted FCS position was defensive end. Kpassagnon, the first FCS selection, Rivers, Ebukam and Moss were dominant pass rushers in college. Ebukam is moving to outside linebacker in the NFL and Rivers might do the same. â?¦ No position has been drafted more often from the FCS this decade than cornerback. Lamar's Langley and San Diego's Agnew increased the total to 28. â?¦ With the CAA getting one more selection than the SoCon, those two conferences share the FCS lead with 22 selections each in the 2010s. The Big Sky is third with 20 and the Missouri Valley fourth with 18. â?¦ Incredibly, the seven active FCS programs that had the most draft selections from 2010-16 - Montana (seven), South Carolina State (five), William & Mary (five), Central Arkansas (four), North Dakota State (four), Samford (four) and Tennessee State (four) - were shut out this year.

---=

UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS=

Going undrafted can allow a player with multiple free agent offers the chance to pick a favorable situation. A number of coveted free agents would have potential offers late in the draft and then come to terms in the hours following it.

Josh Buchanan, an NFLPA Collegiate Bowl scout and perhaps the nation's leading evaluator of small school draft talent, had the following 10 undrafted FCS players as his highest-rated:

Tennessee State offensive guard Jessamen Dunker (fourth-round projection); Chattanooga defensive end Keionta Davis; Missouri State linebacker Dylan Cole; Tennessee State cornerback Ezra Robinson; Saint Francis safety Lorenzo Jerome; South Carolina State offensive tackle Javarius Leamon; Illinois State offensive guard Cam Lee; Richmond free safety David Jones; William & Mary offensive tackle Jerry Ugokwe; and Maine defensive tackle Patrick Ricard.

---=

SNEAK PEEK TO NEXT YEAR=

The 2018 draft class coming from the FCS appears particularly deep.

Included are Sam Houston quarterback Jeremiah Briscoe, the 2016 STATS FCS Walter Payton Award winner, and defensive end P.J. Hall, the runner-up for last year's STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award. As a pro, Hall projects to move inside to defensive tackle.

Speaking of teammates, there's the dynamite receiving duo from South Dakota State, tight end Dallas Goedert and wide receiver Jake Wieneke, who as juniors combined for 170 receptions, 2,609 receiving yards and 27 touchdown catches.

Other draft prospects include North Dakota State inside linebacker Nick DeLuca, Fordham running back Chase Edmonds (who's on pace to become the all-time rushing leader in the FCS), North Dakota cornerback Deion Harris and strong safety Cole Reyes, Illinois State cornerback Davontae Harris, Tennessee State defensive end Ebenezer Ogundeko and North Carolina A&T offensive tackle Brandon Parker.

Tokens
Headgear rules: Lee Corso, 81, signs extension with ESPN
May 31, 2017

ESPN has agreed to a multiyear contract extension with Lee Corso, the 81-year-old star of ''College GameDay.''

Corso joined ESPN in 1987 and has been part of the popular college football Saturday pregame show ever since. His head-gear game predictions, off-the-cuff analysis and signature line - ''Not so fast, my friend'' - have endeared him to generations of college football fans.

The head-gear picks started in 1996 when Corso donned the head of Ohio State's Brutus Buckeye before a game in Columbus with Penn State. He is on target to make his 300th head-gear pick during week six of the upcoming season.

In the spring of 2009, Corso suffered a stroke at his home in Florida, but returned to be part of the first ''College GameDay'' that season.

Tokens
[FONT=&quot]Wednesday’s six-pack[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pac-12 basketball records, over the last four seasons:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Arizona: 59-13 Pac-12, 8-4 NCAA[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oregon: 53-19, 9-4[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Utah: 46-26: 3-2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]UCLA: 44-28, 6-3[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]California: 39-33, 0-1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Colorado: 35-37, 0-2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Stanford: 33-39, 2-1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Arizona State: 31-41, 0-1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oregon State: 26-46, 0-1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Washington: 25-47, 0-0[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]USC: 24-48, 2-2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Washington State: 17-55, 0-0[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*****************************[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wednesday’s List of 13: Mid-week musings…….[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13) Best part of the Strickland/Harper shenanigans Monday night was Buster Posey totally declining to get involved. Usually, the catcher tries to keep the angry batter away from the pitcher, but Posey made no such attempt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Harper hit two very long home runs off Strickland in the ’14 playoffs (thats 2.5 years ago!!!) in their only two previous meetings. Guess something Harper did/said ticked Strickland off.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12) I like watching baseball when they have the strike zone on the right side of the screen, so we can see if the umps miss any pitches. To me, it makes the broadcast a little better.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11) Is Nick Markakis the best active player who has never been an All-Star? He has 1,945 hits, is a solid defender, has a .358 career OB%. You’d think he would’ve made one All-Star team.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10) Jeb Bush is out as part of the group trying to buy the Miami Marlins; apparently he had “only $20M” of his own money involved in the project, not enough to make him a controlling partner, which is what he wanted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9) 10 of the 64 teams in the NCAA college baseball tournament are located in Texas.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8) Nike stock fell 19% last year, is up only 4% this year; with the NBA Finals starting this week, Nike didn’t need Cavs-Warriors being overshadowed by Eldrick Woods’ DUI arrest. Nike does not sell golf equipment anymore, but they still sell golf clothes, which Woods endorses.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7) Houston Astros are almost definitely going to be in the playoffs; I’m curious how they’ll deal with Josh Reddick playing against lefties (Price? Sale? Lester?) in playoffs/World Series.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reddick is a career .270 hitter vs righties, .220 vs lefties (.282 OB%). A’s once pinch-hit for him in the 4th inning of a big game because the opponent put a lefty in. So far this year he is 7-25 (.280) vs lefties; maybe the change of scenery has helped him. We’ll see.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6) Kansas Jayhawks will have six transfers amongst their 13 scholarship players next winter; only three of them will be eligible next season. Makes team chemistry a little dicey.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5) David Blatt went 83-40 as coach of the Cavaliers in the regular season, went 14-6 in playoff games and got fired. Now he coaches overseas; I think he had just enough ego to have been a really good college coach, but we’ll probably never know.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fact of the matter is, if Lebron James wakes up one day in August and wants Tyronn Lue fired, the man is as good as gone. Probably won’t happen, but it could.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4) Not a big fan of playing the infield in; just doesn’t seem necessary, unless the runner on third is really fast. Playing fielders in opens up too many cheap hits that wouldn’t happen with a more traditional defense.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3) Joe Niekro pitched in the major leagues for 22 seasons, had 973 career at-bats with a .156 BA and hit one home run— off his brother, Hall of Fame Phil Niekro.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) A Saudi prince lost $359M in six hours playing poker at a casino in Egypt; he also sold off five of his nine wives as a way to reduce his debt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I knew cats had nine lives; had no idea Saudi princes had nine wives.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) I don’t care what anyone says, Bob Uecker should’ve won an Oscar for best supporting actor for his role as Indians’ announcer Harry Doyle in Major League.[/FONT]

Tokens
ESPN re-signs Howard for "GameDay"
May 30, 2017

ESPN has re-signed Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard to continue his role on ''College GameDay.''

The network announced Tuesday a multiyear agreement with Howard.

The former Michigan receiver has been part of ''College GameDay'' since joining ESPN in 2005. He will also continue to be a regular on ''College Football Live'' and call some mid-week games during the season. Howard is usually assigned to Mid-American Conference games in November.

Howard won the Heisman in 1991 and went to become a first-round draft pick of the Washington Redskins. He won MVP of Super Bowl 31 while playing with the Green Bay Packers. He was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2010.

Tokens
SEC considers easing grad transfer rules
May 30, 2017

DESTIN, Fla. (AP) Former Notre Dame quarterback Malik Zaire could have another potential landing spot by the end of the week.

The Southeastern Conference is expected to ease graduate transfer rules during its annual spring meetings, clearing the way for Zaire to potentially end up at Florida.

Several coaches and Commissioner Greg Sankey said Tuesday they expect the SEC will tweak its policy, which penalizes teams if graduate transfers fail to meet academic standards during their time on campus. No other Power Five conference has a similarly restrictive clause.

''I don't think we should penalize ourselves as a league and allow people to transfer other places, but they can't transfer to our league,'' Alabama coach Nick Saban said. ''So if there's some balance we can come up with on that, that's what I would be for.''

Added South Carolina coach Will Muschamp: ''I think we need to have the same rule as everybody else in college football. ... It is a little bit unfair for us as a league to have a different set of rules than the competition at other places.''

The Gators are currently unable to add Zaire because two previous graduate transfers - linebacker Anthony Harrell and offensive lineman Mason Halter - failed to meet academic requirements after transferring to Florida in 2016. That put coach Jim McElwain's program on probation, unable to add another graduate transfer for a three-year period.

The SEC is proposing to change the rule to a one-year ban, which still would be more than other Power Five conferences.

''If we have rules in the Southeastern Conference that are different than the other conferences that we're playing against and competing against ... I don't know what we're trying to prove there,'' McElwain said.

Zaire has reportedly chosen Florida over Texas and Harvard. He delayed an announcement earlier this month, assumedly to see if the Gators would become an option. For that to happen, the SEC would have to relax its policy.

Coaches discussed the issue Tuesday, and school presidents and chancellors are expected to vote on proposed rules changes Friday.

If Zaire lands in Gainesville, he would compete for the starting job with redshirt freshmen Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask as well as Luke Del Rio, who started six games last season. Zaire had 816 passing yards and six touchdowns in limited action in three seasons in South Bend, Indiana.

''Competition is what breeds quality,'' McElwain said. ''So whether it's that one or whatever one, I'm kind of all for it. I was the guy they always tried to replace every year at Eastern Washington, so I get it.''

Saban would like to see another change to the league's graduate transfer rules.

The SEC allows players to transfer from one conference team to another and be eligible immediately but only with a waiver, like Alabama defensive back Maurice Smith did last year. Smith wanted to transfer to Georgia, but Saban initially blocked the move. The SEC ultimately ruled Smith should be allowed to transfer and Saban reluctantly released him.

''I've never been in favor of free agency in our league,'' Saban said. ''I don't think that's a good thing. I wasn't for it last year. I don't think I'll ever be for it. I mean, why should guys leave your team and go play for somebody else and you have to play against them? I don't think that's fair.''

The league also will consider a third piece of legislation regarding graduate transfers. It is considering eliminating APR requirements for student-athletes considering a transfer, so anyone who graduates would be eligible to move to the league and play right away.

Arkansas coach Brett Bielema, who previously coached at Wisconsin, saw firsthand what a graduate transfer can do for a program and thinks the SEC should be on a level playing field with other leagues.

''A guy named Russell Wilson changed our season and was a very, very special player in a very special situation,'' Bielema said. ''I needed immediate help just for depth. I didn't know he was going to walk through the door and do what he did.''

There's no guarantee Zaire would do anything at Florida. But McElwain would like the help.

''What's good for our conference and what's good for college football is what I'm all about,'' he said. ''They may say, `Look, I don't want them to go there so I'm going to vote against it.' Then we've got issues, if that's it. You know what? Those people better check their hole card on that because that isn't what it's about. It's what's good for these kids.''

Tokens
SEC Betting Outlook
May 31, 2017

Sportsbook.ag predictably has Alabama listed as a -180 favorite to win the SEC Championship Game for the fourth straight year and the fifth time in six seasons. Obviously, from a gambling perspective, that expensive price offers zero for bettors.

If one wanted to win $500 on Alabama to get crowned in the first weekend of December in Atlanta yet again, he or she would have to put $900 at risk and wait for the payout for at least four months. Is that slice of your season bankroll really what you want unavailable to wager on individual games and adjusted future numbers throughout the year? I doubt it.

The next-shortest odds belong to LSU (+550, risk $100 to win $550). The Tigers aren’t the team to be interested in, either. I say this because they have question marks at quarterback, wide receiver and head coach. Also, and perhaps most important, the schedule doesn’t work at all in 2017.

Due to AD Joe Alleva’s utter arrogance and incompetence (remember his insistence on playing Florida in Baton Rouge even though the game had no major championship implications?), LSU has to play five SEC road games. Those contests include trips to Starkville, Gainesville, Oxford, Tuscaloosa and Knoxville. The draw from the SEC East is as tough as it gets with trips to The Swamp and Neyland Stadium. The home game are vs. Auburn (sandwiched between at Florida and at Ole Miss), vs. Arkansas (after at Alabama and before at UT) and vs. Texas A&M.

LSU does bring back Derrius Guice, the SEC’s best running back who will no longer have to share touches with Leonard Fournette. Athlon’s preseason magazine ranks LSU’s offensive line as the third-best in the SEC and the fifth-best in the nation. However, the Tigers return only nine total starters (five offense, four defense), and senior QB Danny Etling isn’t exactly installing fear in opposing defensive coordinators, especially with big-play threats Malachi Dupre and Travin Dural gone.

It says here that Auburn (7/1) is the best option to wager on to win the SEC. Why? This conversation centers around new starting QB Jarrett Stidham, who has the look of a future NFL signal caller. As a true freshman in 2015, Stidham was thrust into the starting lineup for Baylor midway through the season.

At the time, the Bears were unbeaten and ranked second in the nation. Considering the chaotic environment and individuals in that locker room run by Art Briles, the pressure on Stidham, a five-star recruit, as such a youngster was immense. So how did he respond?

Well, in his first career start at Kansas State, he threw for 419 yards and three touchdowns without an interception to lead Baylor to a 31-24 road victory. The next game was played at home in the rain versus 12th-ranked Oklahoma. The Sooners would prevail by a 44-34 count, but the blame for that defeat had to fall on the defense more than the offense.

Stidham responded well the following game, helping the Bears to a 45-35 win at Oklahoma State. However, he was injured in the second half. Stidham would return and split time with Chris Johnson under center in a 49-38 win over North Carolina in the bowl game. His season numbers included a 68.8 percent completion percentage, 1,265 passing yards and a 12/2 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

With Briles fired going into the 2016 campaign, Stidham opted to transfer. But he didn’t spend all of last year on the sidelines, as he played in the juco ranks and then enrolled at AU in January. With all of spring practice to learn Gus Malzahn’s offense, Stidham appears poised to thrive.

Although this will be Malzahn’s first time coaching a true passer as head coach at AU, Stidham still moves well. The Tigers return 14 total starters with seven on each side of the ball.

Kamryn Pettway was leading the SEC in rushing and Auburn was on a six-game winning streak when he injured his hamstring vs. Vanderbilt in early November (what a brutal Bad Beat ‘over’ backers absorbed when Pettway pulled up lame 20 yards shy of paydirt with no defender in his way against the Commodores). Nevertheless, he still ran for 1,224 yards and averaged 5.9 yards per carry.

I wasn’t a fan of the Kevin Steele DC hire going into 2016, but it certainly worked. Auburn finished seventh in the nation in scoring defense (17.1 points per game). This unit returns standout players like DL Marlon Davidson, CB Carlton Davis and LB Tre’ Williams.

Auburn’s draw from the East isn’t bad with a trip to Missouri for the league opener and a home date with Georgia in what will be a revenge game. The three other road games come in succession at LSU, at Arkansas and at Texas A&M, but the trip to College Station comes after an open date.

Even if AU loses at LSU, it will have an excellent shot at being 6-1 in SEC play going into the regular-season finale at home against Alabama. In other words, even if Alabama is unbeaten in league action, the Tigers will be alive to win the West going into the Iron Bowl. My thought process here is Auburn +700 on the money line at home against the Crimson Tide sounds decent.

The next-shortest odds belong to SEC East schools – Georgia (+750), Florida (10/1) and Tennessee (15/1). The Volunteers lost talent galore, will be breaking in a new QB and dealing with Butch Jones’s hot-seat status. My point is that they aren’t even in the conversation, so we’ll focus on UGA and UF.

UF has just three SEC road assignments and it will likely be favored in all three – at Kentucky, at Missouri and at South Carolina. The draw from the West is a pair of home games vs. LSU and Texas A&M, which will be making its first visit to The Swamp since joining the conference.

The Gators return nine starters on offense and three on defense. They will have their most talent on offense in a long time, but the question remains at the QB position that’s been an issue since 2009. There’s reason for optimism, however. UF just added Notre Dame grad transfer Malik Zaire to the mix along with Feleipe Franks, who had a solid spring and was a four-star recruit who redshirted in ’16. Even the third-stringer, Luke Del Rio, has starting experience.

Despite just three starters returning, the defense will be fine. Most of the non-returning starters have seen playing time galore, including veterans like DE CeCe Jefferson, DT Taven Bryan and NT Khairi Clark. Sophomore CB Chauncey Gardner was MVP of the Outback Bowl and sophomore DE Zabari Zuniga was leading the SEC in sacks in early October of last season. Also, sophomore LBs Kylan Johnson and David Reese were starting as true freshmen in November after Jarrad Davis and Alex Anzalone went down with injuries.

Georgia has the QB with the best NFL potential in Jacob Eason, but I’m certainly not sold on Kirby Smart as a head coach yet. UGA went 8-5 in his first season, but it lost three home games to Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt and Tennessee. The Bulldogs were slaughtered 45-14 at Ole Miss and also lost by double digits to UF.

UGA returns all 11 starters on defense and five on offense. The Bulldogs have a pair of big-time RBs in Nick Chubb and Sony Michel, but they finished 11th in the SEC and 102nd in the nation in scoring last year (24.5 PPG).

Like UF, UGA has only three SEC road tilts – at UT, at Vandy and at Auburn. The other West foe is Mississippi State in the season opener at Sanford Stadium.

Odds to win the SEC East aren’t out yet. UGA will be the short favorite when those numbers are released. I recommended the Gators at +400 odds last year and they’ll likely be my pick to win the East again. However, I don’t give UF or UGA much of a chance to win the SEC Championship Game this year.

The longshots – Texas A&M (40/1), Arkansas (50/1), Mississippi State (60/1), Kentucky (80/1), South Carolina (80/1), Missouri (150/1) and Vanderbilt (150/1) – don’t appeal to me. Mississippi State and USC could be in the mix in late October if their talented QBs (Nick Fitzgerald and Jake Bentley) have monster seasons, but bettors are best off looking ‘over’ at their season win totals.

**B.E.’s Bonus Nuggets**

-- Jim McElwain certainly isn’t on the hot seat after leading UF to back-to-back trips to Atlanta in his first two seasons. With that said, his work on the recruiting trail hasn’t been overly impressive. Yes, UF has finished strong on Signing Day to salvage a pair of classes, including the 2017 haul that was ranked 11th nationally by most publications. But to give you an idea of the ho-hum evaluation of this 2017 class, it includes just ONE of the SEC’s Top-40 signees according to Athlon’s rankings.

-- McElwain has yet to announce any punishment for star WR Antonio Callaway, who was cited for marijuana possession a few weeks ago. In his first public statement earlier this week, McElwain said, “Look, it’s not something I’m happy about. And yet, you know what? I am going to help this guy and I’m going to continually try as I will all my players.” A suspension for the season opener vs Michigan at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX., would be costly.

-- Several offshore books had Michigan listed as a six or 6.5-point favorite against the Gators over the last several weeks. However, when the South Point Hotel in Las Vegas opened the Wolverines as 3.5-point ‘chalk’ last week, those offshores adjusted their numbers. 5Dimes.eu currently has Michigan favored by four, while Sportsbook.ag has taken the game off the board due to the uncertain status of Callaway.

-- Arkansas took a big blow when RB Rawleigh Williams decided to retire in early May due to multiple back injuries. Williams rushed for 1,360 yards and 12 TDs while averaging 5.6 YPC in ’16.

-- South Point has the following lines for Week 1 SEC games: Alabama -5.5 vs. FSU (Atlanta), Georgia -14 vs. Appalachian State, Tennessee -4 vs. Georgia Tech (Atlanta), UCLA -3.5 vs. Texas A&M, Auburn -36 vs. Georgia Southern and LSU -11 vs. BYU (Houston).

Tokens
South Point Win Totals - Part 2
June 4, 2017

2017 South Point College Football Win Totals

Alphabetical Order

AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE

School Win Total Money

Central Florida 7.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Cincinnati 5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Connecticut 4 Over (+110) Under (-130)
East Carolina 2.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Houston 8.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Memphis 8.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Navy 7 Over (+105) Under (-125)
South Florida 10 Over (-110) Under (-110)
SMU 5 Over (+105) Under (-125)
Temple 7 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Tulane 4.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Tulsa 7.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)

ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE

School Win Total Money

Boston College 4 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Clemson 9.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Duke 4.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Florida State 9.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Georgia Tech 6 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Louisville 9.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Miami, Fl. 9 Over (-120) Under (Even)
North Carolina State 6.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
North Carolina 7 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Pittsburgh 6.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Syracuse 4 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Virginia 5.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Virginia Tech 8.5 Over (-115) Under (-105)
Wake Forest 5.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)

BIG 12

School Win Total Money

Baylor 8 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Iowa State 5.5 Over (+110) Under (-130)
Kansas 2.5 Over (+110) Under (-130)
Kansas State 7.5 Over (-130) Under (+110)
Oklahoma 10 Over (+105) Under (-125)
Oklahoma State 9 Over (+105) Under (-125)
TCU 8 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Texas 7.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Texas Tech 4.5 Over (-130) Under (+110)
West Virginia 6 Over (-130) Under (+110)

BIG TEN

School Win Total Money

Illinois 3.5 (Even) Under (-120)
Indiana 6.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Iowa 7 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Maryland 3 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Michigan 8.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Michigan State 5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Minnesota 7.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Nebraska 7 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Northwestern 8.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Ohio State 10.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Penn State 10 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Purdue 2.5 Over (-125) Under (+105)
Rutgers 3 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Wisconsin 10.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)

CONFERENCE USA

School Win Total Money

Florida International 4.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Florida Atlantic 4 Over (-105) Under (-115)
Louisiana Tech 9 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Marshall 5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Middle Tennessee State 7.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
North Texas 4 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Old Dominion 6.5 Over (-115) Under (-105)
Rice 3.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Southern Miss 7.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
UAB 2.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
UTEP 2.5 Over (+120) Under (-140)
Texas San Antonio 6.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Charlotte 4 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Western Kentucky 9.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)

INDEPENDENTS

School Win Total Money

Army 8 Over (-110) Under (-110)
BYU 10 Over (+105) Under (-125)
Massachusetts 2.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Notre Dame 7.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)

MID-AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE

School Win Total Money

Akron 5.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Ball State 4 Over (-115) Under (-105)
Bowling Green 4 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Buffalo 3.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Central Michigan 7 Over (+105) Under (-125)
Eastern Michigan 4.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Kent State 3.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Miami Ohio 8 Over (+105) Under (-125)
Northern Illinois 6 Over (+110) Under (-130)
Ohio 7.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Toledo 8.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Western Michigan 9 Over (+110) Under (-130)

MOUNTAIN WEST CONFERENCE

School Win Total Money

Air Force 5 Over (+110) Under (-130)
Boise State 8 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Colorado State 7.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Fresno State 4 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Hawaii 4 Over (+105) Under (-125)
Nevada 3.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
New Mexico 5.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
San Diego State 9.5 Over (-125) Under (+105)
San Jose State 3.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
UNLV 5.5 Over (+110) Under (-130)
Utah State 4.5 Over (+105) Under (-125)
Wyoming 8 Over (-105) Under (-115)

PAC-12

School Win Total Money

Arizona 4.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Arizona State 5 Over (+105) Under (-125)
California 3.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Colorado 7.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Oregon 7.5 Over (-125) Under (+105)
Oregon State 5.5 Over (+110) Under (-130)
Stanford 9 Over (-115) Under (-105)
UCLA 7 Over (-125) Under (+105)
USC 10 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Utah 5.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Washington 10 Over (-130) Under (+110)
Washington State 7 Over (-130) Under (+110)

SEC

School Win Total Money

Alabama 10.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Arkansas 6 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Auburn 9 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Florida 8 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Georgia 9 Over (+110) Under (-130)
Kentucky 7 Over (Even) Under (-120)
LSU 9 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Mississippi 5.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Mississippi State 5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Missouri 6 Over (-110) Under (-110)
South Carolina 5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Tennessee 7.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Texas A&M 7.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Vanderbilt 6 Over (-130) Under (+110)

SUN BELT

School Win Total Money

Appalachian State 9.5 Over (-130) Under (+110)
Arkansas State 7.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Georgia Southern 5 Over (+110) Under (-130)
Georgia State 6 Over (Even) Under (-120)
Idaho 4.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
Louisiana-Lafayette 5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Louisiana-Monroe 3.5 Over (Even) Under (-120)
New Mexico State 3.5 Over (-110) Under (-110)
South Alabama 4 Over (+110) Under (-130)
Texas State 2.5 Over (-120) Under (Even)
Troy 8.5 Over (-125) Under (+105)

Odds Subject to Change - Opened 6.2.17

Tokens
Former ND QB Zaire transferring to Florida
June 4, 2017

Former Notre Dame quarterback Malik Zaire plans to transfer to Florida and join the Gators as a graduate transfer.

Zaire told Fox Sports and 247Sports late Saturday night of his plans and confirmed to ESPN on Sunday that he will visit Florida's campus on Wednesday to finalize the graduate transfer process.

"The visit Wednesday is just making sure we dot our I's and cross our T's, so it's just everything really solidifying things," Zaire told ESPN. "Making sure it feels how I know it would be of making it a home. If everything goes as planned, I'm a Gator, but of course the visit is important to take everything in."

Zaire will be eligible to play this season.

At Notre Dame, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound left-handed quarterback completed 58 of 98 passes for 816 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions in his Fighting Irish career. He also rushed 72 times for 324 yards and two scores.

"I am going to embrace that challenge and I'm very eager to get down there," Zaire told Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman.

Zaire said earlier in the week that he was considering multiple schools, including Florida, Texas, Wisconsin and North Carolina.

"You just want to be able to be a part of something special," Zaire told 247Sports. "You're playing in basically like a minor league from The League. For me, I didn't want the challenge to dissipate at the end of the day.

"Coming from Notre Dame, you're playing top games every week, and I wanted to continue that trend. I didn't want to run from the challenge, I wanted to embrace the challenge."

On Friday, SEC school presidents and chancellors tweaked the conference's graduate transfer policy, easing restrictions and reducing penalties for programs whose graduate transfers fail to meet academic requirements.

The Gators had been unable to add Zaire because two previous graduate transfers -- linebacker Anthony Harrell and offensive lineman Mason Halter -- failed to meet academic requirements after transferring to Florida in 2015, putting coach Jim McElwain's program on probation.

The conference's graduate transfer rule previously prevented schools that had graduate transfers who did not meet the academic requirements from accepting more transfers for a three-year period.

Friday's vote reduced the ban to one year, a proposal by the athletic directors at the SEC spring meetings in Destin, Fla. The SEC had been the only Power 5 conference with that kind of punitive system.

Zaire is expected to compete with Feleipe Franks, Kyle Trask and Luke Del Rio for the Gators' starting job.

"I'm going in there to be a part of the team and do what I can to help the team win and win the team's respect," Zaire told 247Sports. "There's other guys out there on the field, too. So being a good teammate is first and foremost. Being a good teammate and letting the other things happen when they happen and continue to work hard. I think I bring some value and good things to the team, so I'm excited to be a part of that."

Zaire decided to leave Notre Dame after the Irish's disappointing 4-8 season in 2016.

Tokens
Beamer, Brown debut on College Football Hall of Fame ballot
June 1, 2017

IRVING, Texas (AP) Longtime Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer and former Texas coach Mack Brown, along with former players Charles Woodson, Ed Reed and Calvin Johnson, are among those making their first appearance on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot this year.

The ballot released Thursday by the National Football Foundation includes 75 players and six coaches who competed in the Football Bowl Subdivision of the NCAA. An additional 98 players and 31 coaches from lower divisions and NAIA are also up for consideration.

Beamer coached Virginia Tech from 1987-2015 and won 238 games. Brown won 158 games in 15 seasons with Texas, including a national title in 2005.

The newest Hall of Fame class will be announced Jan. 8 in Atlanta, the site of the College Football Playoff championship game.

Woodson played defensive back and returned punts for Michigan, winning the Heisman Trophy in 1997. Reed was a star safety on Miami's 2001 national championship team. Johnson was an All-America receiver for Georgia Tech.

Notable players who have been up for consideration previously are Miami stars Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis, Eric Dickerson of SMU and Nebraska quarterback Eric Crouch, who won the 2001 Heisman Trophy.

Tokens
Any word if Oklahoma's win total will change now that Stoops stepped down?

Tokens
2017 AAC Preview
June 5, 2017

2017 AMERICAN ATHLETIC PREVIEW

Coach Me Up

Entering its fourth year of existence, the American Athletic Conference remains the top Group of 5 League heading into the 2017 football season.

While the loop has struggled in bowl games, going 6-14 SU and 7-13 ATS, it has become a breeding ground for up-and-coming head coaches.

Tulsa’s Phillip Montgomery, SMU’s Chad Morris, and Memphis’ Mike Norvell are three promising young coaches on the rise, and we didn’t even mention Tulane’s Willie Fritz. Meanwhile, the 23 wins by Navy’s Ken Niumatalolo over Power Five or BCS Conference foes is the most of all Group of Five schools.

The AAC has five new coaches for 2017: Cincinnati's Luke Fickell, Connecticut’s Randy Edsall, Houston's Major Applewhite, Temple's Geoff Collins, and USF’s Charlie Strong.

And rest assured, East Carolina’s Scottie Montgomery is fully aware that the Pirates have missed out on bowl games in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2004-05. Beware of the AAC. Its coaches take a back seat to no one.

Talking Points

-- Average attendance at American Athletic Conference home stadiums was 31,611, clearly No. 1 for Group of Five conferences, and right on the heels of 2015 when it averaged 31,842 in 2015, after an average of 21,193 in 2014. USF was up 41% in 2016 with a 10-2 record and a home game vs. Florida State. On the flip side, Temple fell 38% without facing Notre Dame. Other than BYU, East Carolina (44.113) had the largest average attendance outside the Power Five.

-- Danger ahead: since the AAC formation in 2014 the conference has struggled mightily in non-conference games following a SUATS loss, going just 4-26-1 ATS. And if they are not taking at least 7 points in these games they fall off the face of the earth, going 0-13-1 ATS. Gulp.

Note: The numbers following each team name represents the amount of returning starters on offense and defense, along with the number of returning linemen, with an asterisk (*) designating a returning quarterback.

EAST PREVIEW:

CINCINNATI (Offense – *6/3, Defense – 6/3, 42 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: BEING FICKELL

A 3-1 start last season turned into a 1-7 disastrous finish and an absolute P.R. nightmare when head coach Timmy Tuberville went off on a disgruntled fan in front of cameras. As a result of the implosion, the Bearcats brought in longtime Ohio State assistant Luke Fickell to right the program and polish its image. Fickell also served as the Buckeyes’ interim coach in 2011 following the Jim Tressel fallout while guiding OSU to its first losing season since 1988. The good news is Fickell has defensive DNA in his blood and the strength of this Bearcats team appears to be its defense. Behind an experienced Power 5 coaching staff, cool hand Luke looks right at home in Cincinnati.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Fickell was 1-5 ATS in games following a win as a head coach with Ohio State.

PLAY AGAINST: vs. UCF (10/27)

CONNECTICUT (Offense – *7/3, Defense –5/3, 57 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: OLD DOGS...NEW TRICKS

Like a stray dog returning home, former head coach Randy Edsall is back at UConn. With the Bob Diaco experiment officially history, Edsall returns to Connecticut for a second tour, this time trying to ignite an offense that was virtually non-existent in three seasons under Diaco. The 20 touchdowns they scored was lowest tally of any team in the nation in 2016. Edsall turns to former Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee – a Gus Malzahn protégé – and Villanova DC Billy Crocker for his new coordinators. The good news is five OL with starting experience are back. And remember: Huskies’ sophomores made a total of 127 starts in 2015, the most in the nation. Those young pups are now seniors.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: The Huskies scored a total of nine first-quarter points (three field goals in two games) last season.

PLAY ON: vs. UCF (11/11)

EAST CAROLINA (Offense – 6/3, Defense – 7/3, 53 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: WHERE’S THE BOUNTY?

Year One under head coach Scottie Montgomery was expected to be productive. After all, 51 upper classmen dotted the Pirates’ roster, including star WR Zay Jones and transfer QB Phillip Nelson. Neither disappointed with Jones leading the nation in receiving while Nelson, a protégé of quarterback specialist coach Terry Shea, finished 7th in completion percentage (67.9). Through it all the offense improved 53 YPG, but the defense – horse-collared with injuries – slipped 51 YPG. It didn’t help that ECU was also the worst team in the nation in turnovers gained (8) last season. The question is with Jones and Nelson gone, what can they to improve on last year’s three wins?

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: The Pirates are 2-16 SU and 0-18 ATS versus conference foes with a winning record since 2010.

PASS

TEMPLE (Offense - 5/3, Defense – 4/1, 42 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: #GREAT HIRE

When Florida DC Geoff Collins replaced Matt Rhule as the Owls coach this season, he almost immediately began using social media hashtags to show his footprint on the program. The one that has gotten most of the attention from the players is #the STANDARD, as they quickly learned that the standard expected from every player has been raised even higher this year. After fighting thru a 2-10 seaosn in 2013, Temple concluded the final two years of the Rhule regime with a pair of 10-win seasons. But because 50% of the starts made for the Owls last season were by seniors, Collins realizes everone must step up in 2017. The ranks are thin but the spirit is high.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: New Temple coach Collins is the only coach to be a Broyles award nominee – the nation’s best assistant coach - at three schools.

PASS

UCF (Offense – *8/3, Defense – 4/3, 43 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: COOLNESS AT ITS BEST

After taking over a program that failed to win a game in 2015 and leading them to a bowl game, the big question is what does Scott Frost do for an encore? He was 24-2 as a quarterback at Nebraska. As a DC at Northern Iowa the Panthers went from 7-4 to 12-1. And while an assistant at Oregon, the Ducks went 79-15. So yes, the man knows how to win. It’s also no coincidence that the UCF freshmen made the 2nd most starts in the nation in 2015. After coming up big as sophomores last season, they are now juniors. With added improvement in store this year behind a powerful front seven, the question has been answered.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: UCF was the No. 2 team in the nation in red zone defense in 2016.

PLAY AGAINST: vs. East Carolina (10/14) - *KEY

USF (Offense – *7/3, Defense – 9/4, 49 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: STRONG ARMED

One of 11 teams to win 11 games last season, USF set nearly 40 team records in 2016, including total yards (6,650), rushing yards (3,714), touchdowns (77), and scoring (569) in its best season ever. JR QB Quinton Flowers was named AAC Offensive POY while leading a school-record 10 players named to the all-conference team. While those are some mighty big shoes to fill, six of those players - including Flowers - return in 2017. Among the missing, though, is head coach Willie Taggart who moves on to Oregon. Enter controversial Charlie Strong, whose first task will be to rebuild a defense that actually regressed over 100 YPG last season. Just the way he likes it.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: USF was the No. 1 team in the nation in 4th down conversion percentage last season.

PASS

WEST PREVIEW:

HOUSTON (Offense – *6/3, Defense – 8/2, 37 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: APPLE SEEDS

It’s been said that Major Applewhite likes big challenges. In succeeding Tom Herman as the Cougars’ new head coach he has taken on a gargantuan task. On the heels of its best two-season effort (22 wins) in school history, Applewhite inherits two terrifically talented recruiting classes left behind by Herman, including 2016 Defensive Freshmen All-American of the Year, DT Ed Oliver, the most decorated recruit in Cougar history. Dynamo QB Greg Ward Jr. is gone, creating a big hole behind center. The hope is Texas A&M transfer QB Kevin Allen can live up to his blue-chip recruit hype. If new DC Mark D’Onofrio (Miami and Temple) can continue to plug holes, gargantuan just may turn to tiny.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Former Utah OC and Mississippi State QB coach Brian Johnson is Houston new offensive coordinator.

PASS

MEMPHIS (Offense – *9/4, Defense – 8/3, 43 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: FUENTE, WHO?

When Memphis won 8 games in Mike Norvell’s first year after replacing Justin Fuente in 2015, he set the bar high. Real high, considering it was the most wins by a first-year coach in school history. He was also the first coach to lead the Tigers to a bowl game in his first season, plus the first rookie head coach at Memphis to defeat a ranked team since 1975. Now, after 27 wins in three seasons, and with a boatload of starters returning, the upside for this fledgling program has never been higher. A quick glance of the schedule confirms that Memphis could be favored in as many as 10 games this campaign. Beware of the Tiger.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Memphis is 12-0 ATS as an underdog in regular season road finales.

PLAY AGAINST: vs. Houston (10/19)

NAVY (Offense - 4/2, Defense – 7/1, 47 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: NIUMATALOLO SPELLS SUCCESS

We could write a book about the Navy program every year, but due to space limitations, we’ll go with the Cliff Notes version. Ready? Since Ken Niumatalolo became head coach Navy in 2008, the well-disciplined Middies have never finished lower than 2nd in penalties per game. They also know how to win, going 144-92 in Coach N’s 19 seasons on the Navy sidelines. Last year they saw 102 games missed by key starters or contributors due to injury – and the Midshipmen still won 9 games! You can do that when you’re the No. 1 team in the land in 3rd down conversion percentage, and when you’ve got the horses to topple your first AP Top 10 team since 1984. And beware: Navy will enter the 2017 season on a three-game losing streak. It is Navy’s longest losing streak since 2014. Navy won 26 of their next 31 games after the previous three-game losing streak. Forewarned is forearmed.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Navy played nine FBS teams in 2016 that finished with eight or more wins (tied with North Carolina for the most in the country).

PLAY AGAINST: vs. Houston (11/24)

SMU (Offense - *9/4, Defense – 5/3, 40 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: GROWING UP LIGHTNING FAST

The Mustangs continued their upward ascent last season under head coach Chad Morris. Noteworthy in the Ponies’ annual improvement run last season was its first win over a Top 15 team since 1986. Morris’ non-stop triple option attack is loaded with returning starters, including exciting SO QB Ben Hicks and last year’s top eight targets, along with four-star LSU transfer Trey Quinn, who starred during spring camp. Defensively, depth and attrition became issues down the stretch in 2016. Five starters from that unit are gone, but no less than 16 contributors are back. Like we said last year, if the defense can hold the fort, the Mustangs should be ordering up bowl shirts by season’s end.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Freshmen have started a total of 101 games for the Mustangs last two seasons.

PLAY AGAINST: vs. Houston (10/7)

TULANE (Offense – *8/3, Defense – 7/2, 49 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: HITTING THE RESET BUTTON

Perhaps no other coach in college football hits a groove like Willie Fritz does when it comes to his second-year with a program. According to Bill Connelly of SBNation.com, in his second year at Blinn College his team won the NJCAA title. In his second year at Central Missouri, the Mules went from 5-6 to 8-3. In his second year at Sam Houston State, the Bearkats went from 6-5 to 14-1. And in his second year at Georgia Southern, the Eagles secured their first bowl bid. Better yet, because Fritz played a ton of underclassmen last year, that youth turns to experience this year. Sure, they were the worst team in the nation in team passing, and 3rd down conversion percentage, last season. But rest assured, Willie is right where he wants to be this season.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Head coach Willie Fritz is 14-0 SU and 11-1 ATS versus .333 or less opponents.

PLAY ON: vs. Houston (11/18)

TULSA (Offense – 7/4, Defense – 6/2, 49 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: CATEGORY 5 WARNING

Tulsa’s high octane offense hit on all cylinders under head coach Phillip Montgomery - remember that name – when it became the first team in FBS history to have a 3,000-yard passer, two 1,000-yard rushers, and two 1,000-yard WRs in the same season. Even more satisfying for Montgomery, though, was the fact that the Hurricane defense actually improved over 100 YPG over the previous season. Throughout it all, an offense going full-speed for 60 minutes continued to percolate with its second straight Category 5 effort under Monty when its 527 YPG effort topped the 507 YPG posted in his first year with Tulsa. And oh yeah, Tulsa has scored 30-plus points in each of its last 11 games. Yikes.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Tulsa is 29-7 SU and 28-8 ATS in conference games in which it scores 30 or more points.

PLAY ON: vs. Navy (9/30)

Tokens
Stoops: From 'Big Game Bob' to Sooners' winningest coach
June 7, 2017

Big Game Bob leaves behind quite a legacy at Oklahoma.

Bob Stoops shocked college football Wednesday with his surprise announcement that he is retiring immediately as the Sooners' coach, handing the program over to 33-year-old assistant Lincoln Riley with less than two months before preseason practice starts.

It's a question of when - not if - the 56-year-old Stoops earns his invitation to the College Football Hall of Fame. Here's a look back at how the former assistant to Steve Spurrier at Florida and Bill Snyder at Kansas State wound up becoming the winningest coach in Oklahoma history:

THE EARLY YEARS

After four stops as an assistant, Stoops arrived at Oklahoma in 1999 to replace John Blake and immediately made the Sooners winners again, taking them to their first bowl game since 1994 - the first of 18 in a row for him. In Year 2, he led them to the national championship, beating Florida State in the Orange Bowl. That year also included the first of his 10 Big 12 championships and earned the nickname ''Big Game Bob'' for his knack for beating Top 25 opponents and winning three of his first four bowl games. From his second season through his last, Stoops never won fewer than eight games in a season.

THE MID-2000s

Stoops' Sooners kept rolling along during the regular seasons, but that nickname took on a sarcastic spin when his teams lost five of six bowl games from 2003-08 - including three losses in BCS national championship games in 2003, '04 and `08. Oklahoma won at least 11 games five times during that six-year span but was foiled in title games by LSU, Southern California and Florida. Also in that stretch: an unforgettable loss in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl in which Boise State converted a hook-and-ladder play on fourth-and-18 in the final seconds of regulation and won it in overtime on a Statue of Liberty two-point conversion.

THE LATER YEARS

The bowl wins returned for Stoops after 2009, and he led Oklahoma to a No. 1 ranking for the final time in 2011 and broke Barry Switzer's school record of 157 victories two years later. Stoops won five of his final eight postseason games, knocking off Alabama in the Sugar Bowl four years ago. He claimed Big 12 titles in each of the past two seasons, led Oklahoma to the College Football Playoff in 2015 and, in what would become Stoops' final game, the Sooners beat Auburn 35-19 in the Sugar Bowl in January.

THE FINAL RESUME

Stoops coached two Heisman Trophy winners (Jason White in 2003, Sam Bradford in 2008), two more runners-up (Josh Heupel in 2000, Adrian Peterson in 2004) and seven total finalists, including two last year (QB Baker Mayfield and WR Dede Westbrook). The six-time Big 12 coach of the year and AP coach of the year in 2000 went 11-7 against Texas and 14-4 against Oklahoma State. He would have reached the 200-win mark with an average season in 2017 - but instead his career ends with a record of 190-48.

Lincoln Riley, 33, takes over at Oklahoma
June 8, 2017

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) Just three years ago, Lincoln Riley was the offensive coordinator at East Carolina.

Now, he'll take the reins at Oklahoma, one of the most powerful programs in college football.

The 33-year-old Riley is being promoted to replace the retiring Bob Stoops. He becomes the youngest head coach in the Bowl Subdivision.

''As a young guy, as a coach, when you decide you're going to do this, these are things you just dream about,'' Riley said at a joint press conference with Stoops on Wednesday. ''I feel like I'm honestly living a dream right now.''

Though he is young, he is experienced and has had remarkable success with his offenses. His teams set numerous records at East Carolina, and his success continued as Oklahoma's offensive coordinator. In 2015, he helped the Sooners rank fourth nationally in scoring and seventh in total offense. Quarterback Baker Mayfield finished fourth in the Heisman balloting, Riley won the Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach and the Sooners reached the College Football Playoff.

Last season, Oklahoma set an FBS record for passing efficiency and ranked second in total offense and third in scoring. Mayfield and wide receiver Dede Westbrook finished third and fourth in Heisman Trophy voting, respectively, and Westbrook won the Biletnikoff Award as the nation's outstanding receiver.

''In Lincoln's case, he's far more prepared than maybe some that are 43, just by the nature of the special opportunities that came to him very early, at a very early age,'' Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione said.

Riley was considered a top coaching prospect nationally. Just last month, Oklahoma gave him a three-year contract extension worth $1.3 million per year, making him one of the highest-paid coordinators in the country. The transition to head coach happened so abruptly that Riley's parents weren't able to make it to the press conference on Wednesday.

''Right person at the right time,'' Castiglione said. ''Maybe the good fortune of the stars aligning for him being a person that we had attracted to the University of Oklahoma through Coach Stoops.''

Riley has massive shoes to fill. The 56-year-old Stoops was the longest-tenured active coach in major college football, taking the job at Oklahoma a day before Kirk Ferentz started at Iowa. He went 190-48 (.798) at Oklahoma in his only college head coaching job, giving him more victories than Sooners greats Barry Switzer (157) and Bud Wilkinson (145).

In just two years, Riley showed Stoops enough to make the coach feel comfortable that the right successor was in place. Stoops said he wouldn't have retired if he didn't believe the program would be in good hands. The list of reasons he gave explaining why Riley was prepared to take over was lengthy.

''All the things he really shows and demonstrates on a daily basis,'' Stoops said. ''All the characteristics necessary to be a great leader and to be a successful head coach. He's a motivator, he's detailed, incredibly bright in putting together his game plans and his schemes, his play calling, his feel for the game, and I think probably the biggest thing I've noticed from day one is his ability to relate to the players.''

Still, there will be an adjustment period since the Sooners had the same coach in place for 18 + years.

''Well, it's certainly going to be different,'' said defensive coordinator Mike Stoops, Bob's brother. ''Change is tough sometimes, but this, it seems - if you're going to have transition for us, this is as good as it can get with a guy like Lincoln. Just his unique way of doing things and confidence and style that he brings is good, and it's going to be good for our players. They're going to embrace it.''

Riley's first game will be at home against UTEP on Sept. 2. His second game will be at Ohio State. The players are ready to win for him.

''He's going to be a great coach,'' Oklahoma defensive back Will Johnson said. ''I think coach Stoops is very comfortable with handing him the job. I don't think he would have done it without being confident in Lincoln Riley. So, great coach to the next one.''

Tokens
2017 ACC Preview
June 11, 2017

2017 ATLANTIC COAST PREVIEW

Two By Fours

The Atlantic Coast Conference is the only conference in the nation to have two football national champions in the past four years. Florida State took the final BCS National Championship after the 2013 season and Clemson claimed the 2016 National College Football Playoff title last year.

In addition, the ACC returns the Heisman Trophy winner for second time in four years with junior QB Lamar Jackson returning to lead Louisville in 2017. Florida State's Jameis Winston did so in 2014 after winning the 2013 Heisman Trophy. Jackson is the youngest athlete (19 years, 337 days) to win the Heisman Trophy, while Winston (19 years, 342 days) is the second youngest.

ACC Powering Up

ACC teams will play more games (22) against Power Five non-conference teams in 2017 than any of its peer conferences. The ACC will also have a higher percentage (.393) of its non-conference games against Power Five opponents than any other league.

In addition, the ACC will play more games against 2016 AP-ranked teams than any other conference. ACC teams will play more games in 2017 against non-conference teams (7) that were ranked in last year’s final Associated Press Top 25 than any other Power Five conference.

Including the 11 ACC teams that went to bowl games, no ACC team will face fewer than seven opponents that went to bowls in 2016, while eight teams will face eight or more opponents that played in the postseason. Through it all, a total of 11 ACC teams ended 2016 with winning records, the most of any FBS league and the most in ACC history. The next highest total by a conference was eight teams.

Orange Bowl Roll

The ACC has won the last five Orange Bowl games, the longest winning streak for a conference in the Orange Bowl in 72 years. The SEC won seven straight from 1938 through 1944.

Note: The numbers following each team name represents the amount of returning starters on offense and defense, along with the number of returning linemen, with an asterisk (*) designating a returning quarterback.

ATLANTIC PREVIEW

BOSTON COLLEGE (Offense – 9/3, Defense – 7/2, 47 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: WHERE’S THE BEEF?

Last year, for the second straight season, the Eagles’ overall defense ranked in the nation’s Top 10. In fact, BC's 'D' finished No. 2 in team sacks (ahead of Alabama and Michigan). Unfortunately, as good as Yin was, Yang was simply deplorable. Steve Addazio’s squad averaged less than 300 YPG for the second straight year when it gained just 110 PYPG in conference play, while completing only 46.5% of its passes for a mere 4 TDs. The good news – or is it? - is that nine starters are back on offense, sans QB Patrick Towles. Better news is that star pass rusher Harold Landry (16.5 sacks) decided to forgo the NFL draft and returns in 2017.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Home field disadvantage? The Eagles are 0-6 SUATS as home underdogs since 2014.

PASS

CLEMSON (Offense – 5/4, Defense – 7/3, 53 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: A BIG DAB TO FILL

Reigning National Champion Clemson will have a tough row to hoe in 2017, as it will be the only FBS school to replace a 4,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard running back, and a 1,000-yard wide receiver. That’s a LOT of production to supplant, especially while also carrying the biggest bulls-eye of all on its back in 2017. And don’t forget that the Tigers won seven games by a TD or less last season (tops in the nation). On top of it all, 10 Clemson players were either drafted or signed free agent contracts, making the Tigers one of only four programs that have had at least one 1st-round selection for five consecutive years. Good luck, Dabo!

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: The Tigers have the nation’s third-longest current streak (71 games) without losing back-to-back games.

PLAY AGAINST: at Louisville (9/16)

FLORIDA STATE (Offense – *6/3, Defense – 10/3, 48 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: ROLLING IN IT

Talk about a loaded team: the Seminoles will likely need to take breathalyzers onto the field with them in 2017. FSU is one of only two teams (along with Bama) to have appeared in five straight BCS/New Year’s Six bowl games, while Jimbo Fisher’s 11.14 average wins per season leads all current head coaches. Meanwhile, QB Deondre Francois passed for more yards than any freshman in the nation last year (3,350) while guiding FSU’s top-ranked red zone offense. And the FSU defense has 186 career starts, including 15 players who have started a game! Remember, only 18.4 % of starts by Florida State last year were made by seniors. Yep. They’re rolling in it.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: The Noles have the longest current streak (76 games) without losing back-to-back games, dating back to the 2011 season.

PLAY ON: vs. Louisville (10/21) - *KEY

LOUISVILLE (Offense – *5/2, Defense – 7/1, 45 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: TURNING THE PAGE

2016 Heisman Trophy winning QB Lamar Jackson returns after becoming the first player in FBS history to pass for more than 3,500 yards and rush for over 1,500 yards in a season. As powerful as the offense once again promises to be in 2017, it’s the defense that will be the linchpin of the team. The stop-unit returns 12 players who recorded 20 or more tackles last season, including star LB Stacy Thomas with 85. In addition, Trevon Young, a senior LB who missed the entire season last year with a hip injury, is back. He was an all ACC performer in 2015. A major concern – only three teams tallied more giveaways (32) than the Cardinals last season.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Bobby the Louse is 0-15 SU away versus AP Top 15 ranked opponents.

PLAY ON: at Kentucky (11/25)

N.C. STATE (Offense – *8/4, Defense – 8/4, 47 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: THE PACK IS BACK

With 22 seniors on the roster – 11 of who are returning starters, including the entire DL – NCSU will field their most experienced team in school history. In addition, two seniors who sat out last season, but have started multiple games in their careers, join the fray. The defense, which owned the second best 1st-down defense and the 8th best rush unit, returns the entire starting front six. On the flip side, the veteran offense is keyed by H-back Jaylen Samuels, who has averaged 6.25 YPR and a TD every 5.9 carries the last two seasons, and Boise State graduate transfer QB Ryan Finley, who tossed for 3,059 yards and 18 TDS for the Pack in 2016.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: The Wolfpack is 23-3 SU and 18-5 ATS in games where they outgain their opponent under head coach Dave Doeren.

PLAY ON: at Florida State (9/23)

SYRACUSE (Offense – *9/5, Defense – 10/4, 42 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: GETTING THERE, FAST

This from our crack fact-finding research department: Syracuse seniors started the 2nd fewest amount of games in the nation last season. As a result, head coach Dino Babers welcomes back a bevy of experienced, young talent in 2017 as 53.4 % of all Syracuse starts made last season were by underclassmen. As you know by now, we’ve come to expect good things from teams fitting this M.O. The hurdle this year, though, is that no less than 11 foes on the schedule appeared in a bowl game last season. Despite the salty slate, and last year’s season-ending crash, Dino is aching to lead this team to a bowl game. Don’t bet against him.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Syracuse amassed 5,290 yards under Dino Babers in 2016, the 2nd-highest total in the 127-year history of the program.

PLAY ON: vs. Pittsburgh (10/7)

WAKE FOREST (Offense – *9/3, Defense – 6/3, 42 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: WAKE UP CALL

If patience is a virtue, then Wake Forest should be a very advantaged team in 2017. Freshmen made a total of 71 starts in 2015, the 3rd most in the land. Then last year underclassmen accounted for 45.8 % of the team’s starts (10th most in the nation). A pronounced increase in the ground game finally emerged in 2016 when the Deacs gained 40 YPG more on the ground than in 2015, but that was largely attributable to the fact that Wake Forest was the only FBS school in the nation in 2015 whose top three rushers were all true freshmen. It's time for this suddenly experienced team to step up in 2017.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: The Demon Deacons have ranked 12th or worse in the ACC in scoring the last five consecutive seasons.

PLAY AGAINST: at Boston College (9/9)

COASTAL PREVIEW

DUKE (Offense – *7/3, Defense – 5/1, 43 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: THE NUTCRACKER

Talk about a tough nut to crack. Not only will the Blue Devils face only ONE foe this year that owned a losing record last year, but also 11 of whom that were in a postseason game! Fortunately, QB Daniel Jones finished with the 5th-most passing yards of all freshmen in 2016. He was named the team’s MVP after matching or establishing 23 school records, including most offensive yards by a freshman (3,322). Head coach David Cutcliffe is widely recognized as a quarterback whisperer, having coached nine QBs who either earned all-conference honors or led their school to a bowl victory. In a ‘mission year’ this season, expect Cutcliffe to crack the code.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Duke is 4-5 SU versus ranked opponents under HC Cutcliffe. They were 0-47 SU versus the same prior to his arrival.

PLAY ON: at Virginia (10/7)

GEORGIA TECH (Offense – 8/3, Defense – 8/2, 43 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: TALL PAUL

As we alluded to on this page last year, Paul Johnson stands tall within the NCAA coaching ranks. He averages 8.85 wins per season, which ranks No. 9 among all current head coaches, and in his previous 19 years as a head coach, Johnson led his teams to either FCS playoffs or FBS bowl games 18 times. That’s impressive, to say the least. The key to his success is simple – run the ball down your opponent’s throat until they succumb. Four of the top five running backs return in 2017, but a new quarterback will be at the helm. Its Achilles' heel is a defense that allowed a .492 conversion rate on third down (3rd worst in the land) last season.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: In his 15 years as a FBS head coach, Paul Johnson’s teams have each averaged at least 5 Yards Per Rush per season.

PLAY AGAINST: at Virginia (11/4)

MIAMI, FL (Offense – 8/4, Defense – 8/4, 40 Lettermen

TEAM THEME: A HURRICANE WARNING IN EFFECT

For the first time since 2009, the Hurricanes finished the 2016 season ranked in the Top 25. With it, the return of head coach Mark Richt to his alma mater was met with cheers and applause in Miami. Richt is 90-43 in conference games in his career, while averaging 9.63 wins per season, which ranks No. 7 among all current head coaches. Sixteen starters are back from last year, including WR Ahmmon Richards, a 4.3 sprinter who pulled in 46 receptions for 866 yards to smash Michael Irvin’s single-season yards mark for a freshman last year. Yes, it’s safe to say the Canes are back on a winning path. STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Miami tied with Old Dominion for the 2nd best team in the nation in fewest turnovers lost last season (10).

PLAY AGAINST: vs. Georgia Tech (10/12)

NORTH CAROLINA (Offense – 5/3, Defense – 7/2, 35 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: BACK TO SQUARE ONE

As UNC head coach Larry Fedora likely reminds himself each night, it was nice while it lasted. It started after losing a star quarterback (after one year) to the NFL when Mitchell Trubisky was selected as the second player in this year’s NFL Draft. Also gone are workhorse RBs Elijah Hood and T.J. Logan, along with three key WRs. But the biggest loss of all is not a player. It’s DC Gene Chizik, who decided to retire after two highly productive seasons in which the Tar Heels' defense improved 90 YPG after his arrival. Here’s hoping LSU transfer QB Brandon Harris lasts longer than Trubisky. Otherwise, it will be back to square one again for Fedora.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: Larry Fedora is 12-0 SU and 11-1 ATS in regular season games vs. foes who were upset as a favorite in their previous game.

PASS

PITTSBURGH (Offense – 6/3, Defense – 4/1, 36 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: A DOOZEY SURPRISE

It’s hard to imagine that Pat Narduzzi’s defense was the No. 119 team in the nation in red zone defense in 2016. To top it off, the architect and former DC from Michigan State’s most recent glory days, was also hit hard in the NFL Draft when he lost five starters, including QB Nathan Peterman (Bills), and RB James Conner (Steelers) among others. In all, over 50 % of the starts made for the Panthers last season were by seniors. Despite it all, Pitt was the only team to defeat two opponents ranked in the Top 5 of the final College Football Playoff rankings. With no back-to-back road games, expect that to be enough to build on.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: All of Pitt’s 10 losses under Narduzzi have occurred versus bowl teams that went 98-37 combined on the season.

PLAY AGAINST: vs. Virginia (10/28)

VIRGINIA (Offense – *5/2, Defense – 8/2, 37 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: HOG-TIED

As we outlined here last year, new Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall’s hands were tied when he inherited a team that had recorded the largest decline in recruiting talent the previous five years of all Power 5 teams. And it showed up as expected last year like Punxsutawney Phil on Groundhog Day. A super soft defense (6th worst team in the nation in red zone defense) and an anemic rush offense (8th weakest in the land) left the Cavs little or no chance of succeeding. UVA did, however, manage to snap a 17-game road-losing skid, while Mendenhall improved to 4-0 ATS in his career as a dog of 20 or more points… numbers worth remembering.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: The Cavaliers are 2-18 SU in their final two games of the season the last ten years.

PLAY ON: vs. Connecticut (9/16)

VIRGINIA TECH (Offense – 5/3, Defense – 8/1, 37 Lettermen)

TEAM THEME: BIG FOOT

Justin Fuente knew coming in that he had some mighty big shoes to fill as Virginia Tech’s new head coach last season. Replacing a legend like Frank Beamer is never easy. But to his credit Fuente delivered, leading the Hokies to their first double-digit win season in five years. Along the way, Virginia Tech not only improved all of its numbers convincingly on both sides of the ball, they took the College Football Playoff champion Clemson Tigers right down to the wire in the ACC title game as well. Thus, the question begs: What can Fuente do for an encore? Having defensive guru Bud Foster on his sideline makes it a moot point.

STAT YOU WILL LIKE: The Hokies' current 24-game bowl streak is the longest in the nation.

PLAY ON: at Georgia Tech (11/11)

Tokens
Gundy signs new deal at Oklahoma State
June 13, 2017

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy signed a new contract which includes a raise to $4.2 million annually.

Gundy's previous contract was set to expire in 2019. That deal was extended in 2016 when the Cowboys' coach landed a two-year, $8.3 million pact.

"Today is a good day for Oklahoma State football," OSU athletic director Mike Holder said. "The new contract recognizes Coach Gundy's success at building and sustaining a premier college football program and reflects our appreciation and our long-term commitment to Coach Gundy. Not only is he one of the best coaches in the country, he also does things the right way.

"His players love playing for him because he is the consummate players' coach. While I believe his achievements are often overlooked nationally, he's certainly appreciated by those of us at Oklahoma State."

Gundy is the longest-tenured and winningest coach in Oklahoma State history with a career record of 104-50. OSU won the Big 12 championship in 2011 and a Big 12 South co-championship in 2010. Only three other coaches have more than Gundy's 63 Big 12 wins.

As recently as May, Gundy did not sound certain he was long for Stillwater based on the terms of his contract and rising salary demands he made on behalf of his assistant coaches. Gundy acknowledged on the record that he was feeling vulnerable at his alma mater.

Gundy also told The Oklahoman last month that he was ready to sign a deal that would not require any additional short-term maintenance to his own contract or that of his assistants, who were among the lower-paid football staff in the Big 12.

"I don't want to just sign something that a year from now, I'm going to say I don't like," Gundy said. "I have no interest in that. I don't know how long I'm going to coach. But I do know this. I want to have every opportunity for these guys ... to do what we want to do. I feel we've earned that now."

His new five-year deal includes automatic salary escalators of $125,000 per year.

Michigan State hoping to repair image
June 13, 2017

EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) The Michigan State football team has been in the news this offseason for all the wrong reasons, and as the program dealt with sexual assault allegations against four players, the rest of the Spartans generally stayed out of the public eye.

That changed Tuesday when a handful of players were made available to the media - and had a chance to talk about what they can do to improve the program's image.

''We represent Michigan State,'' quarterback Damion Terry said. ''There's going to be eyes on us, no matter where we go.''

Michigan State dismissed three players from the team last week after criminal sexual conduct charges were brought against them, and another player was dismissed after a separate criminal sexual conduct charge against him in April .

The team largely stayed quiet while investigations loomed over the program, and although the charged athletes are no longer on the team, there's no telling how much damage has been done to the Spartans' reputation.

Terry said community involvement has become a point of emphasis lately. Michigan State has been teaming up with Lansing Promise, a program aimed at helping young people in the area have access to education and career training following high school.

Terry and safety Khari Willis both talked a bit about visiting schools and interacting with kids.

''That goes a long way - just seeing all those kids and how much we can impact them,'' Terry said. ''We just want to keep being that light and spreading that light among the football program, during a horrible offseason.''

''I dunked on a couple kids,'' Willis joked. ''Nah, it was good. They've got a few programs with the Lansing Promise, and I feel like that's a real good avenue for me in the future as well.''

In addition to the criminal allegations currently in the court system, the Spartans are also clearly dealing with some internal issues that may have affected the team's performance last season, when Michigan State went 3-9 after winning the Big Ten the previous year. Running back Gerald Holmes was asked bluntly if leadership was lacking in 2016.

''Yes, it did. I think this year that will change,'' said Holmes, who will be a fifth-year senior. ''As bad as last year was, it definitely helps you now. It was still a lesson, at the end of the day.''

Holmes said he's helped start player-led meetings that he hopes can enable players to grow closer.

''It's still growing in how we're going to do things, but it kind of started off first, just bringing up guys who normally don't talk, just to share something,'' he said. ''Just kind of get guys to open up, and have guys that are sitting down watching, kind of feel that person. I feel like the main thing is that we don't communicate enough on the team.''

NOTES: Dantonio spoke before the players were made available, and he said DB Vayante Copeland is no longer part of the program. He was vague as to why. ''There are certain things you've got to be able to make as you process yourself through from junior to senior and things of that nature,'' Dantonio said. ''Vayante's done a great job here. He was not thrown off this football team. We wish him the best.'' ... The Spartans announced that they have promoted Sheldon White to be the football team's director of player personnel, and that offensive line coach Mark Staten has been promoted to assistant head coach and will serve as recruiting coordinator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseth1n
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com