Cnotes 2016 NCAA Basketball News-Trends-Picks !

Search

Tokens
MONDAY, MARCH 27

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

WYO at CCAR 07:30 PM

CCAR +1.0

U 153.5

Tokens
Armadillo: Tuesday's six-pack

Odds to win National League MVP this season:

12-5— Mike Trout

7-2— Manny Machado

4-1— Mookie Betts

8-1— Jose Altuve, Josh Donaldson

10-1— Miguel Cabrera

15-1— Robinson Cano

Armadillo: Tuesday's List of 13: Nobody asked me, but……..

13) NFL approved Raiders’ move to Las Vegas Monday; they’ll start playing in the desert in 2019, after playing in Oakland this coming year- where they’ll play in 2018 is still unclear.

This is sad for people in Oakland- the Warriors are moving to San Francisco soon, the A’s are in limbo stadium-wise. Lot of history in that Oakland Coliseum, lot of winning, but these days, money means more than sentiment, which is too bad.

12) Prediction: Raiders’ new stadium will make UNLV’s athletic program a huge winner, with Rebels eventually moving up to a Power 5 league, maybe partnering with BYU as the western tier of the Big X Conference- they need two more teams so they can have a conference championship game.

11) Back in late November, South Carolina was 300-1 to win the national title; they were still 300-1 on March 9. Now they’re 15-2.

10) In John Calipari’s first seven years at Kentucky, 28 of 56 guys who played for him were drafted by the NBA.

9) I’m not fond of people posting pics on the Interweb of kids crying in the losing locker room, like was done from the Kentucky locker room Sunday. There should be some limit to what we see; there should be some semblance of privacy in the sanctity of the locker room. There is a media center for interviews with players/coaches; thats all the media contact that is needed.

8) Former major leaguer Joe Carter, who hit the walk-off homer for the Blue Jays as they won the 1993 World Series, was on TV at a spring training game Sunday. Carter has three sisters and three nieces who are all riders on the pro rodeo circuit- one of the sisters is 65 years old!!!

7) Next time they have this World Baseball Classic, I’d like to see the Cuban major leaguers play for Cuba’s team- would make the tournament a lot better. Not sure that is possible politically, but would be fun to see it happen.

6) Quinnipiac hired Villanova assistant coach Baker Dunleavy as its new hoop coach; he is Mike Dunleavy Sr’s son. Quinnipiac could’ve hired alumnus Jared Grasso, an assistant for MAAC rival Iona, but they didn’t- they used a search firm and the search firm chose Dunleavy.

My question is this: if you need a search firm to hire a coach, what the bleep do you need an athletic director for?

Other coaching news: Duquesne is set to hire Akron coach Keith Dambrot, who is best known for being Lebron James’ high school coach.

5) I’m going to be curious to see if Josh Reddick plays against lefties this season; in his 8-year career, Reddick is a .218 hitter vs lefties, with a .280 on-base percentage.

Back in 2014, I got so aggravated when the A’s pinch-hit for Reddick in the 4th inning of a big game because the Angels had put a lefty in. If he plays every day now, we’ll find out if he can be productive against southpaws.

Astros played the Mets last week; Mets’ TV analyst Ron Darling basically said that Houston overpaid for Reddick. Darling isn’t overly critical; it was a surprising thing to hear.

4) Kyle Larson won the NASCAR race at Fontana Sunday; his rental car (he wasn’t driving) was involved in a fender-bender as he was leaving the track Sunday night. No one was injured.

I’ve often wondered if NASCAR drivers struggle driving in regular traffic.

3) Cleveland Indians have a minor league catcher named Logan Ice. Tremendous name.

2) When Al Davis was alive, he was almost always the “1” in 31-1 NFL votes. Miami Dolphins were the one team that voted against the Raiders’ move to Las Vegas.

1— Coastal Carolina 91, Wyoming 81— Game 1 of the best-of-3 CBI tournament. Series resumes with a game Wednesday in Laramie. Not an easy commute. This was a fast-paced game; with the next game in high altitude, that pace will be interesting.

Tokens
NCAAB
Dunkel

Tuesday, March 28

TCU @ UCF

Game 779-780
March 28, 2017 @ 9:30 pm

Dunkel Rating:
TCU
UCF
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
TCU
by 4 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
TCU
by 2 1/2
132 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
TCU
(-2 1/2); Over

CS-Bakersfield @ Georgia Tech

Game 777-778
March 28, 2017 @ 7:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
CS-Bakersfield
Georgia Tech
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
CS-Bakersfield
by 3 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Georgia Tech
by 2
122 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
CS-Bakersfield
(+2); Over

NCAAB
Long Sheet

Tuesday, March 28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CS-BAKERSFIELD (25 - 9) vs. GEORGIA TECH (20 - 15) - 3/28/2017, 7:00 PM
Top Trends for this game.
GEORGIA TECH is 19-11 ATS (+6.9 Units) in all games this season.
GEORGIA TECH is 19-11 ATS (+6.9 Units) in all lined games this season.
GEORGIA TECH is 15-8 ATS (+6.2 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
GEORGIA TECH is 13-3 ATS (+9.7 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record after 15 or more games this season.
CS-BAKERSFIELD is 15-4 ATS (+10.6 Units) in all games over the last 3 seasons.
CS-BAKERSFIELD is 15-4 ATS (+10.6 Units) in all lined games over the last 3 seasons.
CS-BAKERSFIELD is 9-1 ATS (+7.9 Units) as an underdog over the last 3 seasons.
CS-BAKERSFIELD is 12-2 ATS (+9.8 Units) in March games since 1997.
CS-BAKERSFIELD is 10-2 ATS (+7.8 Units) in non-conference games over the last 3 seasons.
CS-BAKERSFIELD is 13-4 ATS (+8.6 Units) in all tournament games over the last 3 seasons.
GEORGIA TECH is 7-20 ATS (-15.0 Units) in road games when playing with 5 or 6 days rest since 1997.

Head-to-Head Series History
There were no past matchups in this series during this time period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCU (22 - 15) vs. UCF (24 - 11) - 3/28/2017, 9:30 PM
TCU is 163-219 ATS (-77.9 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record since 1997.
TCU is 11-23 ATS (-14.3 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record after 15 or more games over the last 2 seasons.
TCU is 65-90 ATS (-34.0 Units) versus good defensive teams - allowing <=64 points/game since 1997.
UCF is 34-23 ATS (+8.7 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
UCF is 34-23 ATS (+8.7 Units) in all lined games over the last 2 seasons.
UCF is 19-8 ATS (+10.2 Units) when the total is 130 to 139.5 over the last 2 seasons.
UCF is 7-1 ATS (+5.9 Units) in all tournament games this season.

NCAAB
Short Sheet

Tuesday, March 28

CS Bakersfield at Georgia Tech, 7:00 PM ET
CS Bakersfield: 9-1 ATS as an underdog
Georgia Tech: 7-20 ATS in road games when playing with 5 or 6 days

TCU at Central Florida, 9:30 PM ET
TCU: 2-10 ATS in road games off a home win
C Florida: 7-1 ATS in all tournament games

NCAAB
Armadillo's Write-Up

Tuesday, March 28

NIT’s Final Four has three coaches who are in their first year at that school.

Rod Barnes is in his 6th year at Bakersfield; his Roadrunners won a 4OT game in semis of WAC conference tourney, then understandably lost final to New Mexico State. Bakersfield won road games at Cal/Colorado St/Tex-Arlington to get here- they’re first #8-seed to make it to the Final Four of NIT. Roadrunners are 9-6 outside WAC; they start three seniors, two juniors- they’re #14 experience team. Georgia Tech lost five of last seven games before 3-0 run in NIT, with two home wins and 74-66 win at Ole Miss. Jackets is #121 experience team that has #19 eFG% defense. WAC teams are 6-1 vs spread this postseason; ACC teams 6-15-1, 4-11-1 if favored. a Tech was in NYC three weeks ago, in Brooklyn, for ACC tournament.

Central Florida coach Dawkins won NIT twice when he was at Stanford; his Knights won nine of last ten games, are 12-3 outside AAC. UCF is 1-4 vs top 40 teams, with losses by 5-11-10-10 points; they have a 7-6 center, hold teams to 39.7% inside arc, best in country, but they also turn ball over 22.1% of time (#339). UCF is #51 experience team that plays pace #276. TCU is 14-1 outside Big X, with only loss at SMU of AAC by 15- they won five of last six games overall, after losing last seven regular season games. Horned Frogs are #208 experience team that plays pace #234. AAC teams are 3-3 vs spread this postseason; Big X teams are 11-5-1, 9-3 when favored.

NCAAB

Tuesday, March 28

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trend Report
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7:00 PM
CS BAKERSFIELD vs. GEORGIA TECH
No trends available
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Georgia Tech's last 8 games
Georgia Tech is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games

9:00 PM
TCU vs. CENTRAL FLORIDA
No trends available

Tokens
National Invitation Tournament (NIT)

REGION 1 - CALIFORNIA

Date Matchup Score ATS Result
Mar. 14 CSU Bakersfield (+6.5, ML+240) at California 73-66 Underdog-Over (125)
Mar. 14 College of Charleston at Colorado State (-4.5) 81-74 Favorite-Over (136)
Mar. 15 Texas-Arlington (+5.5, ML +220) at Brigham Young 105-89 Underdog-Over (166.5)
Mar. 15 Akron (+7.5, ML +300) at Houston 78-75 Underdog-Over (144)
Mar. 20 CSU Bakersfield (+4.5, ML +170) at Colorado State 81-63 Underdog-Over (135.5)
Mar. 20 Akron at Texas-Arlington (-5) 85-69 Favorite-Under (157)
Mar. 22 CSU Bakersfield (+4, ML +240) at Texas-Arlington 80-76 Underdog-Over (143.5)

REGION 2 - SYRACUSE

Mar. 15 UNC Greensboro at Syracuse (-12) 90-77 Favorite-Over (146)
Mar. 14 Mississippi (+1) at Monmouth 91-83 Underdog-Over (167)
Mar. 14 Indiana at Georgia Tech (+2.5, +125 ML) 75-63 Underdog-Under (143)
Mar. 15 Belmont (+5, ML +180) at Georgia 78-69 Underdog-Under (147.5)
Mar. 18 Mississippi (+7.5, ML +290) at Syracuse 85-80 Underdog-Over (158.5)
Mar. 19 Belmont at Georgia Tech (-4) 71-57 Favorite-Under (138.5)
Mar. 21 Georgia Tech (+5.5, +220 ML) at Mississippi 74-66 Underdog-Under (144)

REGION 3 - ILLINOIS STATE

Mar. 14 Boise State (+12, +575 ML) at Utah 73-68 Underdog-Under (156)
Mar. 14 Valparaiso at Illinois (-9) 82-57 Favorite-Over (138.5)
Mar. 15 UC Irvine at Illinois State (-10) 85-71 Favorite-Over (130.5)
Mar. 15 Colorado at UCF (-3.5) 79-74 Favorite-Over (139)
Mar. 20 Boise State at Illinois (-8.5) 71-56 Favorite-Under (145.5)
Mar. 20 UCF (+5.5, ML +190) at Illinois State 63-62 Underdog-Under (128)
Mar. 22 Illinois at UCF (-4) 68-58 Favorite-Under (130)

REGION 4 - IOWA

Mar. 14 Richmond (+8, +315 ML) at Alabama 71-64 Underdog-Under (139)
Mar. 14 Oakland (+10.5, +525 ML) at Clemson 74-69 Underdog-Under (157)
Mar. 15 South Dakota at Iowa (-11) 87-75 Favorite-Under (164)
Mar. 15 Fresno State at Texas Christian (-8.5) 66-59 Underdog-Under (145)
Mar. 19 Oakland at Richmond (-4.5) 87-83 Underdog-Over (159)
Mar. 19 Texas Christian (+3, ML +130) at Iowa 94-92 (OT) Underdog-Over (155)
Mar. 21 Richmond at Texas Christian (-8) 86-68 Favorite-Over (149)

SEMIFINALS & FINALS

Mar. 28 Georgia Tech vs. CSU Bakersfield - -
Mar. 28 Texas Christian vs. UCF - -

Tokens
TUESDAY, MARCH 28

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

CSB at GT 07:00 PM

CSB +3.5

O 124.5

TCU at UCF 09:00 PM

UCF +2.5

O 132.0

Tokens
Tennessee's Barnes: Gut feeling Gonzaga will win NCAA title
March 29, 2017

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) Tennessee coach Rick Barnes has faced every team in the Final Four and has a prediction regarding a potential championship game matchup.

''I bet you this right now,'' Barnes said. ''If North Carolina and Gonzaga make it to the championship game, I'll bet you the bookies will say it's a pick'em game. If there's a point (spread), it's going to be half a point. They're that close. I believe they are the two best teams that we've played.''

Better than Oregon and South Carolina, which North Carolina and Gonzaga must beat, respectively, to advance.

The Volunteers went 0-5 against the Final Four teams and are the first team since the 2004-05 Iowa squad to have played each team in Final Four during the regular season.

Tennessee lost 69-65 in overtime to Oregon at the Maui Invitational, an event that was won by North Carolina . They led the Tar Heels most of the way before falling 73-71 at North Carolina , which played that game without injured guard Joel Berry II. They lost 86-76 to Gonzaga in Nashville, Tennessee. And they were swept by South Carolina, which beat the Vols 70-60 in Knoxville and 82-55 in Columbia .

''My gut feeling is (North) Carolina's the best team,'' Barnes said, ''but my gut feeling now tells me I think Gonzaga's going to win it.''

Barnes acknowledged both teams will have trouble just getting to Monday's championship game. He cited Oregon's Midwest Regional final victory over Kansas as the most impressive performance of the NCAA Tournament and noted that South Carolina arguably handed the Vols their most thorough beating of the season.

Barnes' breakdown of each team in the Final Four:

---

GONZAGA

SCOUTING REPORT: ''I thought there were teams that maybe could take advantage of (7-foot-1, 300-pound center Przemek) Karnowski by getting him in high ball screens, and teams have tried to do that, but they haven't been able to do it consistently. There's not a team in this tournament that can do that, that's left.''

TOUGH ENOUGH: ''After they beat West Virginia , (Gonzaga coach Mark Few) said it was the most physical game they've been in all year, but he said, `Hey, we're physical, too.' That game's going to help them against South Carolina. They've been in physical games.''

HOW THEY'VE CHANGED: ''I think they've got their feet under them. I think they had to withstand the pressure of being the only undefeated team ... not getting to a Final Four (before this). Right now they're experienced. I agree with Mark, I think they're tough. But all the teams that are there have got some toughness to them.''

---

NORTH CAROLINA

SCOUTING REPORT: ''I've said all along that I've thought North Carolina was the best team because they've got experience, they've got the inside stuff. ... If they don't shoot it well, they can still win basketball games.''

GOOD FROM THE START: ''When we left Maui, I made this comment, that I'd never seen a team play at such a high level as North Carolina did that early in the year. They dominated that field in Maui. ... I hadn't seen a team play that well in November.''

REASON FOR CONCERN: Barnes said the uncertainty surrounding Berry's ankle should worry North Carolina. ''I guarantee you Roy Williams is scared to death right now wondering about that kid.''

---

OREGON

SCOUTING REPORT: ''The most impressive win in this tournament has been Oregon going into Kansas City and smacking Kansas. I'm telling you, that was impressive. They just didn't go in and hang on. They went in and won it from start to finish.''

WHAT TO EXPECT SATURDAY: ''I do think Oregon will try to control tempo against North Carolina. ... They run that little matchup zone they run, and they'll try to do that.''

BELL'S EMERGENCE: ''A player that changed the whole game against Kansas was Bell. The first play of the game, you saw where Kansas tried to bring the ball down the lane real quick and (they) got fouled. The next time, (Frank) Mason came in and got it blocked. I'm telling you, from that point on, they were looking for (Bell). Bell changed that game.''

---

SOUTH CAROLINA

SCOUTING REPORT: ''In their matchup against Gonzaga, I don't think they can go a half of not playing good offensive basketball. They've really hit their strides in the second half (during the NCAA Tournament). If you think about it, they've played (three) straight pretty good games offensively, and I don't know if you can find that at any point in time throughout the whole year.''

PLAYERS TO WATCH: ''A guy that's got to play really big for South Carolina is (forward Chris) Silva - Silva and (forward Maik) Kotsar. I'll be surprised if Kotsar doesn't get in foul trouble because (Gonzaga's) coming at them. They're coming at those two guys. ... They're going to get tested early.''

HOW THEY'VE CHANGED: ''I actually thought South Carolina's zone has been very effective. Everyone talks about their man defense. I think their zone has helped as much as anything. It's been very effective through this tournament, that 3-2 zone they run.''

Tokens
AP source: Ref target of death threats after Kentucky loss
March 29, 2017

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) Referee John Higgins of Omaha has contacted law enforcement to report he's received death threats after Kentucky's loss to North Carolina in the NCAA South Regional final.

A person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press that Higgins reported threats on his home phone, which has an unlisted number, and on the office phone for his roofing company. The person requested anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

The Facebook page for Higgins' roofing company also was inundated with negative comments about Higgins and the quality of his company's work.

In a statement Wednesday, the Kentucky athletic department says it encourages fans to demonstrate good sportsmanship and discourages other kind of behavior.

Messages were left for Omaha police and Kentucky State Police.

Tokens
Tar Heels' Maye headlines list of Final Four X-factors
March 28, 2017

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) North Carolina's Luke Maye can't go to class without getting a standing ovation nor walk across campus without getting stopped by people requesting to take a photo with him.

All because of one shot - one that lifted the Tar Heels past Kentucky to reach the Final Four while turning the sophomore from rotation reserve to sudden star.

''He's big-time now,'' junior Justin Jackson said. ''I feel like we need some security around campus.''

Maye headlines a group of players that could emerge as X-factors in determining whether UNC, Gonzaga, Oregon or South Carolina wins the national championship. Don't sleep on Gonzaga's Zach Collins, Oregon's Jordan Bell or South Carolina's Rakym Felder.

''The entire year, (coach Roy Williams) has been putting me in the games, wanting me to make good plays,'' Maye said Tuesday. ''Some games I hit a shot early, in other games I'd just get a rebound or make a good pass. I'm just trying to go out there and help my team win as best I can.''

The 6-foot-9 Maye entered last weekend as a player who has had some good moments - including 15 rebounds against Florida State, 13 points at rival North Carolina State - but generally played to spell starters Kennedy Meeks or Isaiah Hicks up front.

Yet he had shown a soft shooting touch and the ability to pull defending big men out to the perimeter. And when Hicks got in early foul trouble against Butler in the Sweet 16, Maye became much more than a sub for the Tar Heels (31-7).

The guy who came in averaging 5.1 points in 13.8 minutes per game went for 16 points and 12 rebounds in the win against the Bulldogs. Then, with Hicks struggling against the Wildcats in the Elite Eight, Maye scored 17 points - the last two coming on that jumper with 0.3 seconds left for the 75-73 win.

Maye made 12 of 19 shots and 5 of 8 3-pointers - 63 percent in both cases - during the two-game stop in Memphis, Tennessee, to lift the South Region's No. 1 seed to a record 20th Final Four to face Oregon on Saturday.

''When he sets a screen, most of the time (defenders) are hedging long,'' Jackson said. ''So whenever he pops, it's hard for them to find him. So that's huge. And then outside of that, because he's a stretch-4 there's much more room inside for the guards to drive. .. So when he's in there, I think that really helps us.''

---

Here's a look at players who could emerge from the shadows this weekend in Phoenix:

GONZAGA: The West Region's top seed has freshman Zach Collins, a 7-foot McDonald's All-American, coming off the bench behind center Przemek Karnowski. Collins is averaging 9.9 points and 5.7 rebounds while shooting 65.4 percent off the bench, and he's doing it in just 17.2 minutes per game entering the semifinals against South Carolina in a matchup of two first-time Final Four programs.

OREGON: On a team led by Dillon Brooks and Tyler Dorsey, 6-9 junior Jordan Bell is averaging 10.9 points and 8.6 rebounds. But after the Ducks lost shot-blocker Chris Boucher to a knee injury during the Pac-12 Tournament, Bell proved his ability to dominate inside by finishing with 11 points, 13 rebounds and eight blocks in the Midwest Region final to help the Ducks beat No. 1 seed Kansas for their first Final Four since winning the 1939 NCAA title.

SOUTH CAROLINA: Rakym Felder is the ''New York City point guard'' coach Frank Martin says he wanted. The 5-foot-10 freshman has started just once all year and plays 14.5 minutes per game, but has had some key production in the NCAA Tournament - most notably by tallying 15 points, four rebounds and three assists in the upset of 2-seed Duke in the East Region's second round. Felder is shooting a team-best 43 percent from 3-point range while averaging 5.7 points entering the Gonzaga game.

Tokens
BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
March 29, 2017

Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:

- GLENDALE, Ariz. - The Final Four is set, with one blue blood and three newbies trying to take it down. A look at the teams, top players and coaches playing in what should be a great weekend in the desert.

- CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham has stopped trying to project when the NCAA case tied to the school's multiyear academic scandal will reach a conclusion. That's because procedural hurdles, delays and even the NCAA's struggle to settle on charges have the case crawling through the infractions system as the Tar Heels make a second straight Final Four trip.

- The AP is ranking the top 100 college basketball programs of all time using 68 years of data from the AP Top 25 poll.

- The programs that bleed blue have dominated when it comes to being No. 1 in the AP college basketball poll - though the shades of the color have varied.

- DALLAS - Women's basketball saw its lowest attendance for the regionals in 20 years and there is no change to the format in sight.

- David Ortiz appeared in more than 2,000 career games as a designated hitter, but Big Papi's retirement takes away one of few remaining players whose primary job is to hit. Going into the 45th season since the DH came into existence, more American League managers seem willing to spread out the DH starts. Instead of penciling in the same player every day, many managers now use the slot to keep a key position player in the batting lineup while providing an occasional day off from the field.

- ATLANTA - The Braves' new ballpark looks like a throwback stadium with its green seats, brick walls and its old-school, intimate feel. That's from an initial glance inside the park. Beyond the stadium walls sits the real wow factor that could be a game-changer for the industry.

- USA Hockey's four-year agreement with the women's national team has the potential to be a precedent-setter for future generations of players and athletes in other sports like soccer.

- SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Sharks and Minnesota Wild are slumping to the finish of what have otherwise been successful seasons with little time to right their ships before the playoffs.

- DETROIT - For the first time since 1990, the Detroit Red Wings won't be in the NHL playoffs. A remarkable run, tied for the third longest in league history, has ended as it was expected to this season with a banged-up roster that is void of stars.

- SAN ANTONIO - Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors take an eight-game winning streak, their second-longest of the season, into a matchup of the top two teams in the West. The Spurs, coming off a blowout of Cleveland, have won five straight. Game starts 9:30 p.m.

- PANAMA CITY - The United States rebounded with four points in two World Cup qualifiers under new coach Bruce Arena, moving up from sixth to fourth in the standings of the CONCACF hexagonal.

- KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - Rafael Nadal faces American Jack Sock, and Venus Williams takes on top-ranked Angelique Kerber in the quarterfinals at the Miami Open. Williams-Kerber match starts at 7:10 p.m., with Nadal-Sock to follow.

- RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. - Lydia Ko still remembers her leap into Poppie's Pond a year ago after she became the youngest golfer to win two majors. Still the world's No. 1-ranked player, the precocious New Zealand teenager hopes to get back on a winning roll when she returns to the ANA Inspiration this we

Tokens
Armadillo: Wednesday's six-pack

Odds to win Houston Open golf tournament this weekend:

6-1– Jordan Spieth

10-1— Joe Rahm

12-1— Henrik Stenson

15-1— Ricky Fowler, Justin Rose

20-1- Phil Mickelson

25-1— Adam Scott

Armadillo: Wednesday's List of 13: Clearing out a cluttered mind……..

13) There is an NFL rule that prohibits NFL officials from visiting Las Vegas during football season. I’m not the smartest guy in America, but I think that rule needs to be deleted.

12) I’m having lunch at a bar Tuesday; guy there is working on his laptop at the bar, talking on the phone- he tells the caller he has to go, he has another call.

Guy puts his phone down, orders another daiquiri and resumes watching the Mets’ game on TV while munching on popcorn. Looked like he has a pretty good job.

11) Sacramento Kings won games by one point on consecutive nights this week, first time their franchise has done that since December 8-9, 1956, when they were the Rochester Royals.

10) In Kings’ win at Staples Center Sunday, they trailed by 18 points with 5:00 left; this was only second time in last 6,748 NBA games where a team was down 18 with 5:00 left and rallied to win the game.

9) Was very busy at Staples Center last weekend; Lakers played there Friday night, Clippers had a game Saturday afternoon, then the NHL’s Kings played there Saturday night. Clippers were back in action Sunday afternoon— busy weekend for the workers in the arena who change things around inside Staples Center, assembling and taking down the basketball floor.

8) Chargers sold out their season tickets at the 30,000-seat soccer stadium they’ll be playing at for the next two years, in Carson. Raiders have already sold out their season tickets for this year in Oakland and have a waiting list for season tickets. Wonder how they’ll draw in Las Vegas.

7) Georgetown fired John Thompson III last week; they’ve apparently already been rebuffed by Mike Brey, Shaka Smart and Ed Cooley, as they try and replace JTIII. I’m thinking the very large shadow of John Thompson II makes this a bad job- they should just hire Patrick Ewing, and see what he can do. At least Ewing would have Big John’s blessing.

6) Oklahoma City 92, Dallas 91— Thunder scored the last 13 points of Monday night’s win.

5) White Sox traded veteran journeyman OF Peter Bourjos to the Rays Tuesday for cash. Bourjos runs fast, is a good defender, but profiles as a 4th outfielder-type.

4) South Carolina is first Final Four team since Cincinnati in 1992 that hadn’t been in the NCAA tournament the previous 10+ years.

3) I’m not a morning person; doorbell rings Tuesday morning and it is Jehovah’s Witnesses- the women take one look at me, one of them hands me a pamphlet and they quickly take a hike. Not sure why people would go door-to-door on a Tuesday; most people have jobs, no?

2) Georgia Tech 76, Cal-Bakersfield 61— Roadrunners made long trip east and laid an egg, going 8-22 on arc after making 30-59 3-pointers in previous three games, all of which were true road games. Tech was +8 (7-15) in turnovers.

1— TCU 68, Central Florida 53— Fran Fraschilla actually asked Joe Lunardi on the air during this game if he would rather lose a play-in game or win the NIT? Seriously? If you make it into the field of 68, your season is judged a hell of a lot better than if you played in the NIT.

TCU vs Georgia Tech for NIT title Thursday; a 4-seed against a 6-seed. Two coaches in the first year at that school.

Tokens
NCAAB
Dunkel

Wednesday, March 29

Furman @ St Peter's

Game 525-526
March 29, 2017 @ 9:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Furman
St Peter's
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
St Peter's
by 7 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
St Peter's
by 2 1/2
123 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
St Peter's
(-2 1/2); Over

TX-Corpus Christi @ MD-Baltimore Co

Game 523-524
March 29, 2017 @ 7:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
TX-Corpus Christi
MD-Baltimore Co
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
MD-Baltimore Co
by 4
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
MD-Baltimore Co
by 2 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
MD-Baltimore Co
(-2 1/2); Under

Coastal Carolina @ Wyoming

Game 521-522
March 29, 2017 @ 9:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Coastal Carolina
Wyoming
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Wyoming
by 3
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Wyoming
by 8
156 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Coastal Carolina
(+8); Over

NCAAB
Long Sheet

Wednesday, March 29

COASTAL CAROLINA (20 - 17) at WYOMING (21 - 15) - 3/29/2017, 9:00 PM
There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

COASTAL CAROLINA is 1-0 against the spread versus WYOMING over the last 3 seasons
COASTAL CAROLINA is 1-0 straight up against WYOMING over the last 3 seasons
1 of 1 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

TEXAS A&M CC (23 - 11) at MD-BALT COUNTY (21 - 12) - 3/29/2017, 7:00 PM

FURMAN (23 - 11) at ST PETERS (21 - 13) - 3/29/2017, 9:00 PM
ST PETERS is 20-8 ATS (+11.2 Units) in all games this season.
ST PETERS is 20-8 ATS (+11.2 Units) in all lined games this season.
ST PETERS is 6-0 ATS (+6.0 Units) when the total is 120 to 129.5 this season.
ST PETERS is 11-2 ATS (+8.8 Units) after allowing 60 points or less this season.
FURMAN is 17-8 ATS (+8.2 Units) in all games this season.
FURMAN is 17-8 ATS (+8.2 Units) in all lined games this season.
FURMAN is 11-1 ATS (+9.9 Units) when the total is 120 to 129.5 over the last 3 seasons.
FURMAN is 11-4 ATS (+6.6 Units) in road games this season.
FURMAN is 11-4 ATS (+6.6 Units) in road lined games this season.
FURMAN is 6-0 ATS (+6.0 Units) in non-conference games this season.
FURMAN is 29-11 ATS (+16.9 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 3 seasons.
FURMAN is 22-8 ATS (+13.2 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record after 15 or more games over the last 3 seasons.
FURMAN is 9-1 ATS (+7.9 Units) versus good defensive teams - allowing <=64 points/game over the last 3 seasons.
ST PETERS is 68-97 ATS (-38.7 Units) in all home games since 1997.
ST PETERS is 68-97 ATS (-38.7 Units) in home lined games since 1997.
ST PETERS is 22-46 ATS (-28.6 Units) in home games when playing against a team with a winning record since 1997.
ST PETERS is 14-31 ATS (-20.1 Units) in home games when playing against a team with a winning record after 15 or more games since 1997.

NCAAB
Short Sheet

Wednesday, March 29

Coastal Carolina at Wyoming, 9:00 PM ET
Coastal Carolina: 2-4 ATS after playing 3 consecutive home games
Wyoming: 11-4 ATS as a home favorite

Texas AM CC at Baltimore County, 7:00 PM ET
Texas AM CC: 1-8 after 3 or more consecutive wins
Baltimore County: 5-1 ATS after 2 straight games with 9 or less offensive rebounds

Furman at St. Peter’s, 9:00 PM ET
Furman: 7-1 OVER as a road underdog or pick
St. Peter’s: 7-0 ATS when the total is 129.5 or less

NCAAB
Armadillo's Write-Up

Wednesday, March 29

CBI
Coastal Carolina scored 1.18 pts/possession in 91-81 home win over Wyoming (77 possessions, fast pace). Wyoming was 13-34 on arc but took only 29 2-point shots; if teams play this fast a pace in Laramie tonite, can Chanticleers handle it? Coastal was +12 on boards in this game; they played three starters 31:00+ Monday, used 8 guys double figure minutes. Wyoming lost big man Moemeka to an injury six minutes in; they played five guys between 29-31:00. Coastal lost five of last seven true road games, with wins at Little Rock/So Alabama. Cowboys are 5-6 in last 11 games but won last five home games- their last home loss was to Colorado State Feb 14.

CIT semi-finals
UMBC is 0-9 vs teams ranked in top 200; they’ve won their last five home games, are #159 experience team playing pace #53. A&M-Corpus Christi tied for 2nd in Southland, lost tourney final in OT; Islanders are #116 team playing pace #155- they’ve won 14 of last 16 games. A&M-CC won four of its last five true road games- they force turnovers 22.9% of time, #11 in country, are 4-4 vs teams in top 200, 7-4 outside Southland. UMBC is #30 team at protecting the ball; they’re shooting 38.9% on arc (#21). Islanders scored 85 pts/game in winning first three tourney games. UMBC allowed 68.3 pts/game in winning its first three tourney games

Furman’s coach has already bolted to Drake; they’ve got an interim coach here. Paladins tied for first in SoCon, then got beat in first round of SoCon tourney- they lost by 6 points, at both Georgia/Michigan, so they’re got some talent- this is first time since ’11 they won 20+ games. Furman is #155 experience team that plays pace #280- they’re 15-3 in their last 18 games. St Peter’s won eight of its last nine games, finished 2nd in MAAC; they’re #35 experience team playing pace #348. Peacocks are 7-7 outside MAAC- this is their first home game since Feb 19- they won three of last four home games. St Peter’s is 1-3 vs top 100 teams, splitting pair with Monmouth.

NCAAB

Wednesday, March 29

Trend Report

9:00 PM
FURMAN vs. SAINT PETER'S
Furman is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Furman's last 8 games on the road
Saint Peter's is 7-3 SU in its last 10 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Saint Peter's last 10 games

Tokens
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 29

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

AMCC at UMBC 07:00 PM

UMBC -2.5

O 157.5

CCAR at WYO 09:00 PM

WYO -9.0

U 156.5

FUR at SPC 09:00 PM

SPC -3.0

U 124.0

Tokens
Armadillo: Thursday's six-pack

Odds to win the college football national title game next year:
Odds are from the Westgate SuperBook
3-1— Alabama
8-1— Florida State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC
10-1— Louisville
12-1— Michigan, LSU
20-1— Clemson, Oklahoma State, Texas
25-1— Penn State, Auburn

Armadillo: Thursday's List of 13: Doing some thinking out loud……

13) Tennessee Volunteers are only team that played all four teams in the Final Four this season; they were 0-5 against them, losing twice to South Carolina.

12) 1982 title game: North Carolina 63, Georgetown 62. UNC’s bench played a total of 13:00, Hoyas’ subs played total of 22:00. Maybe things have changed less than I think.

11) Was pricing some Air Jordan sneakers the other day, have never owned any. Damn, they’re expensive!!!! No thanks.

10) When a mid-major basketball school with limited resources wins a lot, it usually means they hire a lot of coaches, since the $$ schools poach their coaches. Take VCU, for instance…….

2002-06— Jeff Capel 79-41, 50-22 in CAA (went to Oklahoma)
2006-09— Anthony Grant 76-25, 45-9 in CAA (went to Alabama)
2009-15— Shaka Smart 163-56, 74-30 in CAA/A-14 (went to Texas)
2015-17— Will Wade 51-20, 28-8 in A-14 (went to LSU)
2017-present— Mike Rhoades (hired from Rice)

Keep in mind Capel/Grant both got fired and Smart is struggling at Texas. Maybe it is best to be the big fish in a smaller pond. And VCU does pay its coach well (Wade made $1.4M this season).

9) Detroit Red Wings will miss NHL playoffs this season for first time in 26 years.

8) Having instant replay stuff decided by NFL people in New York instead of by the ref on the field will be a good thing. Problem is, if there are ten games on at 1:00 and four of them have replay issues at the same time, which games take precedence?

7) UMass hired Matt McCall as its new basketball coach, after Pat Kelsey skipped out on them at the last minute last week. McCall is a former assistant for Billy Donovan at Florida; he went 48-18 in two seasons as the coach at Chattanooga.

6) Interesting article on espn.com this week, on how in the 90’s, Gonzaga University was in financial trouble; their undergraduate enrollment had dipped from 4,176 in 1990 to 2,791 in 1998.

Gonzaga’s basketball team started winning in ’99; in 2000, the freshman class was 900 kids and now, since 2004, seven new buildings have been built on campus, so the school that is located in eastern Washington (Spokane) is thriving, in part because of basketball’s success.

Undergraduate enrollment this year is 5,160.

5) Mets closer Jeurys Familia got a 15-game suspension for domestic violence issues.

4) Red Sox OF Mookie Betts has bowled seven perfect (300) games. Impressive.

3) Wyoming 81, Coastal Carolina 57— Last year, Nevada lost the opener of CBI final and then beat Morehead State twice in Reno to win tourney title. Same thing could be happening here; Cowboys made 12-31 on arc, while Coastal was 5-26 playing in high altitude. Final in Friday.

2) St Peter’s 77, Furman 51— Niko Medved is a coach who just jumped from Furman to Drake; he didn’t wait until the Paladins’ run in the CIT was over- he just bolted, so they played this game at St Peter’s with an interim coach. He couldn’t have waited a couple days? Coach Medved did his players a big disservice; in my opinion, he’s a creep.

For the record, Furman plays in the SoCon, the #13 league- they tied for first in and are #95 in country. Only two teams in the MVC, the #10 league, are ranked higher than Furman- Wichita State and Illinois State. Drake is the #258 team; not even sure why this guy changed jobs. Can the money be that much better?

To their credit, St Peter’s made 13-27 on the arc in this game; their reward is a trip to Corpus Christi for the tournament final Friday.

1— Corpus Christi 79, UMBC 61— Retrievers played without Jairus Lyles, were held to their lowest scoring output of season. Corpus Christi hosts the championship game against St Peter’s on Friday night— solid national TV exposure for these teams.

Tokens
NCAAB
Dunkel

Thursday, March 30

Georgia Tech @ TCU

Game 711-712
March 30, 2017 @ 8:00 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Georgia Tech
TCU
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
TCU
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
TCU
by 3 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Georgia Tech
(+3 1/2); Over

NCAAB
Long Sheet

Thursday, March 30

GEORGIA TECH (21 - 15) vs. TCU (23 - 15) - 3/30/2017, 8:00 PM

NCAAB
Armadillo's Write-Up

Thursday, March 30

Georgia Tech is 12-4 outside ACC; they’re 3-5 vs teams ranked in top 40. Tech lost five of last seven games before 4-0 run in NIT, with two home wins and wins over Ole Miss/Bakersfield. Jackets is #121 experience team that has #19 eFG% defense. ACC teams are 7-15-1 against the spread this postseason, 2-4 if an underdog. TCU is 15-1 outside Big X, with only loss at SMU by 15- they won six of last seven games overall, after losing last seven regular season games. Horned Frogs are 11-13 vs teams in top 75; they’re the #208 experience team that plays pace #234. Big X teams are 12-5-1 vs spread, 10-3 when favored this postseason.

NCAAB

Thursday, March 30

Trend Report

8:00 PM
GEORGIA TECH vs. TCU
No trends available
The total has gone OVER in 5 of TCU's last 7 games
TCU is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games

Tokens
Georgia Tech vs. TCU
March 29, 2017

Power programs often look at the NIT as a place they don’t want to be. The premise is understandable and there’s no doubt that it’s a second-string reward to a not-quite-good-enough campaign, so to speak.

With that said, there are a myriad of benefits. For starters, the season continues on, netting extra practice time and game experience, which is obviously valuable for young teams.

If there were two programs that the NIT was a perfect fit for this season, it would have to be the duo that will tangle at Madison Square Garden in the finals on Thursday night in New York City – TCU and Georgia Tech.

Josh Pastner would’ve been fired after last season in Memphis if not for his hefty contract the school couldn’t afford to buy out. Therefore, when Georgia Tech struck out on its first couple of tries to score a replacement for Brian Gregory, he became an interesting candidate.

Pastner won at least 24 games in his first five years at Memphis, going to the NIT in his first season before getting invited to the NCAA Tournament in four consecutive years. However, an 18-14 record followed by a 19-15 mark without invites to the postseason had the natives calling for his job.

Many were critical of the hire, while others took a wait-and-see approach. I was among the latter. After all, Pastner is still just 39 years of age and has a tremendous work ethic that few in the business have ever questioned. Plus, he has seven seasons of being a head coach at a high-profile job under his belt.

Although Georgia Tech hasn’t done much winning in the last quarter-century with the exception of its trip to the national-title game in 2004 thanks to the stellar play of Jarrett Jack, there are many of us that remember fondly the glory days of the Bobby Cremins Era. Between 1985-1993, the Yellow Jackets went to nine consecutive NCAA Tournaments. From ’85 to ’96, they were in the Sweet 16 five times and led UNLV by seven at intermission in the 1990 Final Four before falling to a team that many consider one of the greatest ever.

Cremins recruited with the best of ‘em, bringing to Atlanta the likes of Mark Price, John Salley, Bruce Dalrymple, Duane Ferrell, Tom Hammonds (from? Crestview High School, the same program in Florida that produced 3-point gunners and brothers Joe and Pat Lawrence who played for the Gators in the late ‘80s), James Forrest (the Atlanta Southside HS product who hit the buzzer beater in Milwaukee to beat USC and send the late Al Maguire into a frenzy), Matt Harping and, of course, ‘Lethal Weapon 3’ consisting of Kenny Anderson, Brian Oliver and Dennis Scott.

Those days are long gone, obviously. But you can still win big at Georgia Tech, which is in the ACC and midtown Atlanta. For Pastner to have had this first squad of his on the proverbial bubble in late February was a miraculous accomplishment. Although GT failed to get an NCAA invite, it has to be thrilled to be in NYC with a chance to win the NIT on Thursday.

Likewise, TCU is ecstatic to be in this spot. Jamie Dixon wasn’t on a serious hot seat at Pittsburgh by any means, but he was rightfully feeling unappreciated. During his 13-year tenure with the Panthers, Dixon had taken them to 11 NCAA Tournaments, one Elite Eight (losing a heartbreaker to Villanova), three Sweet 16’s, one NIT and one CBI that they won.

Now, was Dixon unhappy to the point of bolting for one of the nation’s toughest gigs at TCU? I was certainly shocked when I saw the headline, but I had forgotten that he was a TCU alum. Still, the Horned Frogs haven’t been to the NCAA Tournament since 1998 and had not received any sort of postseason invite since 2005. Since joining the Big 12, they had not won more than four league games in their first four seasons.

But when your alma mater calls and offers you a contract worth $3.2 million annually, you listen. And in this case, you take the job if you’re Dixon, who at the age of 50 (now 51) took on a challenge of immense proportions.

Despite its ineptitude on the hardwood over the span of 15-plus years, Dixon has righted the ship already. Like Georgia Tech, TCU was in the bubble conversation in February before a seven-game losing streak to close the regular season ended its NCAA hopes.

As of Wednesday afternoon, most betting shops had TCU (23-15 straight up, 18-18 against the spread) installed as a 3.5-point favorite with a total of 133. The tally opened at 131.5 points. The Yellow Jackets were available on the money line for a +150 payout (risk $100 to win $150).

TCU advanced to MSG in NYC with a home win over Fresno State (66-59), an overtime triumph at Iowa (94-92) and a home win over Richmond (86-68). On Tuesday night in the semifinals, the Horned Frogs captured a 68-53 victory over Central Florida as 2.5-point favorites. The 121 combined points dipped ‘under’ the 132-point tally.

Vladimir Brodziansky led TCU with 18 points, nine rebounds, three assists and one blocked shot. Kenrich Williams enjoyed a dynamite stat line with 14 points, 14 rebounds and seven assists.

We noted the seven-game slide to close the regular season earlier, but TCU has won six of seven games in the postseason while going 5-2 versus the number. The skid was halted with an 82-63 win over Oklahoma in the Big 12 Tournament’s opening round. Then in the quarterfinals in what was essentially a road game at Sprint Center in Kansas City, the Horned Frogs shocked Kansas with an 85-82 upset victory as eight-point underdogs.

Williams was the catalyst against KU, finished with 18 points, eight rebounds, five assists and four steals before fouling out. Demond Bande added 16 points, five boards and two steals in 21 minutes of playing time from off the bench. Brodzianksy contributed 11 points, six boards and two blocked shots.

TCU’s Big Tourney push was stopped by Iowa State in the semifinals, but the groundwork was laid for an NIT run.

The Horned Frogs have been single-digit favorites 11 times this season, posting a 7-4 spread record.

Georgia Tech (21-15 SU, 20-11 ATS) has been a lucrative money maker for bettors all year long. In fact, the Yellow Jackets are 16-4 ATS in their last 20 games dating back to Jan. 12. They have thrived as underdogs, compiling a 14-9 spread record with nine outright victories in 23 such spots.

Pastner’s team owns four wins over teams that made the NCAA Tourney, including Final Four participant North Carolina. The Jackets also posted victories over the likes of Notre Dame, FSU and VCU.

Georgia Tech won its first two NIT games at home by double-digit margins over Indiana (75-63) and Belmont (71-57). Next, the Jackets went to Oxford and knocked off Ole Miss by a 74-66 count as 5.5-point road underdogs. Ben Lammers led the way against the Rebels, producing 20 points, eight blocked shots, four rebounds, four steals and four assists compared to merely one turnover. Josh Okogie scored a game-high 26 points and pulled down seven boards.

On Wednesday in the Big Apple, GT bested Cal-State Bakersfield 76-61 as a three-point ‘chalk.’ The 137 combined points hopped ‘over’ the 124.5-point total. Okogie and Lammers stole the show again. Lammers contributed 15 points, 11 rebounds, five blocks and a pair of steals, while Okogie finished with 22 points, nine boards, two steals, two assists and a pair of rejections. Quinton Stephens added 13 points and nine rebounds.

Okogie averages a team-high 16.2 PPG. The true freshman guard also averages 5.4 rebounds and 1.3 steals while shooting at a 37.5 percent clip from 3-point land. Lammers (14.4 PPG) averages team-bests in rebounding (9.3 RPG), FG percentage (52.7%) and blocked shots (3.4 BPG). The junior center also hands out 2.1 APG and makes 2.1 SPG.

The ‘over’ is 19-17 overall for TCU after cashing in five of its last seven games.

The ‘under’ has been a steady cash producer for the Jackets, going 19-11-1 overall. A 7-1 run for the ‘under’ was halted when the ‘over’ hit Tuesday night.

Tip-off at MSG is scheduled for Thursday night at 8:00 p.m. Eastern on ESPN.

Tokens
G-Tech and TCU set for NIT title game
March 29, 2017

NEW YORK (AP) Josh Pastner and Jamie Dixon both got their wish.

Both coaches wanted one more opportunity to teach their teams.

Georgia Tech and Texas Christian will meet for the NIT title on Thursday night at Madison Square Garden.

But in order to win the title, Pastner and Dixon will have to go head-to-head.

''We love coaching these guys all year long and we just want two more days with them, so they gave us that. We'll look forward to getting ready for Georgia Tech,'' Dixon said after TCU's 68-53 win over Central Florida in the second NIT semifinal game Tuesday night.

''We don't want the season to end. I think that might be more the motivation than anything,'' Dixon said. ''These guys are practicing hard. You talk to my assistants, you can't believe how much energy they have brought to (each and every) practice. I think more than anything, we don't want the season to end.

''They love going to practice and they love being around each other, and the celebration in the locker room was, you could just see the joy. We're going to enjoy it for about a couple more hours and then we'll get ready for Georgia Tech.''

That Georgia Tech and TCU have advanced to the NIT title game is a testament to the coaching jobs Pastner and Dixon did in their first year with their new programs.

Neither TCU nor Georgia Tech were expected to be competitive in 2016-17. Texas Christian was picked to finish last in the Big 12 preseason poll. Georgia Tech was picked 14th in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Instead, Georgia Tech went 21-15, and Texas Christian went 23-15.

''I've said it many times: It's a modern miracle. I can remember like yesterday watching our first workouts. If you told me we're playing on Thursday for the NIT championship, I would say you're crazy,'' Pastner said after Georgia Tech's 76-61 win over Cal State Bakersfield in the first NIT semifinal Tuesday night.

''So it's been a heck of a season, and as I said, it's a great lesson for me that these guys, to see it all unfold, the power of team. That gets thrown in words a lot, team and chemistry.

''But to really see it and how we have been able to beat teams that are more talented than we are, because that night we were the better team on different games throughout the season.''

Strong defense has lifted both teams. Entering Thursday night's championship game, TCU has allowed 68 points per game and Georgia Tech has allowed 61.75 points per game in the NIT.

And on the offensive end, the Horned Frogs and Yellow Jackets have made progress. TCU has averaged 78.5 points per game during the NIT, while the Yellow Jackets have scored 74 points per game in the tournament.

''We've been an elite defensive team all year long,'' Pastner said in a conference call on Wednesday.

''We are playing our best offense we have had all year long in the NIT. But we have been offensively challenged throughout the season. We have been an elite defensive team and that's what we did, and if you look at our numbers, we're in the top.

''I think five now in Ken Pom ratings in defensive efficiency. We've led the ACC in dribble percentage defense, and to be able to do that, you've got to be an elite defensive team.''

Tokens
AP All-Time Top 100: Maryland tops the list of never No. 1s
March 30, 2017

PHOENIX (AP) Gary Williams had great players and great teams during his tenure at Maryland, even won a national championship.

The one thing missing from the Terps' resume: A No. 1 ranking in the AP Top 25.

Through 68 years and more than 1,100 polls, Maryland was never once the top-ranked team in the country - and that's just fine by its former coach.

''We were No. 1 after the national championship, but nobody votes after that,'' Williams said. ''If you win the national championship, you're the best team in the country.''

The Associated Press has been ranking the best teams in college basketball since 1949, with 59 teams earning a No. 1 ranking, starting with Saint Louis in the inaugural poll.

Based upon a formula that awarded one point for poll appearances and two for No. 1 rankings, Maryland has the most points (400) for a team that was never ranked No. 1.

Purdue was next among the highest never No. 1s with 339 points, followed by Utah, Minnesota, Vanderbilt and LSU.

Williams' teams racked up points during his tenure from 1989 until 2011, yet never found the top spot. The Terps reached No. 2 twice under Williams, in 1998-99 and 2001-02, following four No. 2 rankings under Lefty Drissell.

Current coach Mark Turgeon also had Maryland up to No. 2 for three weeks during the 2015-16 season after starting at No. 3 in the preseason poll.

The No. 1 ranking was about the only accomplishment Williams didn't have in his 22 seasons in College Park.

A former coach at Ohio State, Williams took over a program that was still reeling from the death of star Len Bias in 1986 and was hit with NCAA sanctions in 1990 for violations that mostly dated to the Bob Wade era.

Williams, who played at Maryland, gradually built the Terps in a contender in the tough ACC, leading them to the Sweet 16 in 1994 and 1995 with a frenetic style that left opponents spinning. That kicked off a run of 11 straight NCAA Tournaments, including a trip to the Final Four in 2001 and the program's only national title in 2002.

Williams won 461 games at Maryland, had its court dedicated to him in 2012 and was inducted into the College Basketball Hall of Fame two years later.

''Everyone comments on where you are ranked, so you wanted to be ranked as high as possible,'' Williams said. ''We weren't ranked No. 1 that year we won the national championship, but we were the best team in the country when the tournament was over.''

Purdue had its heyday during 25 seasons under Gene Keady.

The Boilermakers reached their highest ranking as a program - the previous was No. 3 in 1969-70 under George King - spending three weeks at No. 2 during the 1986-87 season. Purdue also was No. 2 in the 1987-88 preseason poll and later spent six weeks at that spot later in the season, never able to get over the No. 1 hump.

Purdue was close again in 1994 after winning the Big Ten championship and earning a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

''I'm going to vote us No. 1,'' Keady said after beating Illinois for the Big Ten title. ''It wouldn't be unjustifiable.''

It never happened. Purdue reached no higher than No. 3 in the AP Top 25.

Keady won 512 games and finished in the top 10 six times before retiring in 2005. He was inducted into the College Basketball Hall of Fame in 2013.

Utah accrued 239 points the AP rankings after reaching No. 2 in two seasons. The 1996-97 team led by Keith Van Horn, finished the regular season at No. 2 on their way to the regional final and the 1954-55 team hit the same mark without reaching No. 1.

Minnesota was right behind with 226 points, its high ranking coming in 1996-97, when the Gophers got up to No. 2 on the way to the Final Four.

Tokens
THURSDAY, MARCH 30

GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

GT at TCU 08:00 PM

TCU -4.0

O 132.5

Tokens
TCU routs G-Tech for first NIT title
March 30, 2017

NEW YORK (AP) Brandon Parrish sat at the podium, wearing a commemorative t-shirt and a net draped around his neck. To his right was coach Jamie Dixon. On his left was Kenrich Williams.

Parrish made sure to savor the moment.

''We have something that's forever,'' he said. ''Nobody can ever take this away from us.''

Williams had 25 points and 12 rebounds, and TCU routed Georgia Tech 88-56 in the NIT championship on Thursday night. The junior guard, who missed last season because of a knee injury, went 8 for 14 from the field and was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player.

''We knew he was a good player,'' Dixon said. ''We've found better ways to use him in even better situations where we're even more comfortable and to be honest, he was out of about a year and a half. He's just now getting his legs under him and getting game-like conditions. You're seeing the numbers that he's putting up. His play down the stretch has been unbelievable.''

TCU opened with a 20-3 run on its way to the program's first NIT title. Vlad Brodziansky scored 18 points for the Horned Frogs (24-15), and Alex Robinson had 10 points and 11 assists.

Tadric Jackson led Georgia Tech (21-16) with 19 points. Josh Okogie had 12 points and six rebounds.

''We played to the last buzzer,'' Georgia Tech senior Quinton Stephens said. ''We stuck together. We stayed with the way we need to play.

''It was bigger than us. We knew bigger things were coming and this is only the beginning.''

It was the first meeting between the programs since Dec. 21, 1967, and No. 3 overall. And it mostly belonged to TCU, which never trailed.

The Horned Frogs led 38-27 at halftime, and it was more of the same in the second half. Williams and Brodziansky threw down thunderous dunks, and Williams knocked down a 3 to help push the advantage to 54-39.

''They punched us first,'' Stephens said. ''We put ourselves in a little bit of a hole.''

TCU shot 51 percent (35 for 68) from the field and held Georgia Tech to 35.7 percent (20 for 56) shooting. The Yellow Jackets also committed 17 turnovers, leading to 28 points for TCU, and the Horned Frogs also had 21 second-chance points.

''In a high-level game you can't do that,'' said Josh Pastner, who took over as Georgia Tech's coach last April. ''We had too many turnovers and they gave up too many second chances.''

The lead grew to 69-49 on Williams' breakaway jam with 6:44 left. Desmond Bane tacked on a 3 from in front of the TCU bench, helping kick off the celebration for the Horned Frogs.

Dixon emptied his bench in the final minutes, and reserve Josh Parrish had a breakaway windmill jam in the final seconds.

''I've always known my brother was so bouncy,'' Brandon Parrish said with a laugh. ''To be able to see him come off the bench after 39 minutes and be able to jump up there and do a windmill, it was just phenomenal for us to be able to share this moment.''

WORTH NOTING

The 32-point win matches the largest margin of victory in NIT championship game history. Bradley set the record in 1964 with an 86-54 rout of New Mexico.

BIG PICTURE

Georgia Tech: Despite the loss, it was a successful season for the Yellow Jackets. A program Pastner referred to as a ''major rebuild job'' as recently as Tuesday won 21 games and competed in a national postseason tournament. ''I promise you,'' Pastner said after the game. ''To be playing in this final game, it's miraculous.''

TCU: Dixon improved to 28-15 all-time at Madison Square Garden.

SLOW START

The Yellow Jackets did not have a field goal until Ben Lammers' jumper 5:03 into the game. Prior to Lammers' basket, Georgia Tech was 0 for 6 from the field and had committed four turnovers.

''We dug ourselves a hole and we totally were trying to climb out of it the entire evening,'' Pastner said. ''It just made it hard on us and we just could never really get over that hump or get it close enough.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoriPauley
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com