Big Ten looking like the conference to beat...

Search

Nirvana Shill
Tokens
Bowl games are not a clear indication of who is the better conference...too many variables....

Give me a regular season game or a real BCS Playoff system to give me a clearer perspective...

I agree ! When there is nothing to play for except a bigger check for the school, recruiting for offseason, and " this win will vault you into next year nonsense ", then these games are nothing more then exhibition games that have little importance in the scheme of things. This sport has it backwards, they play their exhibition games at the end of the year while other sports play them at the beginning. If the winner of the game does not advance to play again, why should I watch ? The only part of the game I watch is the pregame where I can laugh at these idiot commentators trying to convince me why we all need to be watching this. If you have to try and convince me, that tells me I don't need to be watching it.

Official Rx music critic and beer snob
Tokens
I agree ! When there is nothing to play for except a bigger check for the school, recruiting for offseason, and " this win will vault you into next year nonsense ", then these games are nothing more then exhibition games that have little importance in the scheme of things. This sport has it backwards, they play their exhibition games at the end of the year while other sports play them at the beginning. If the winner of the game does not advance to play again, why should I watch ? The only part of the game I watch is the pregame where I can laugh at these idiot commentators trying to convince me why we all need to be watching this. If you have to try and convince me, that tells me I don't need to be watching it.

Pretty sharp post here. These bowl games are borderline unwatchable. The attendance also proves your point, few have sold out.

Tokens
Red EYE good post.. I'm going to limit my bet sizes in college football bowls, too many variables..

Motivation, long layoffs, etc.. Need to be wise and stay away from these bowl games for the most part, at least with good money.

Banned
Tokens
Oh, boo hoo hoo.....no playoffs.....everybody cries about a playoff, but nobody has any suggestions on how to do it.....8 teams you say!!!! Well, how do you decide the 8 teams? Does an undefeated WAC team or MWC team deserve to make it over a 1 loss -- hell, even a 2 loss sec, big 10 or 12 team --? If that's the case, fuck the regular season!!! Everybody load up and gangbang cinderella!!!

I say, realign the conferences, kick out a handful of Tulanes and San Jose St.'s who do nothing to add to strength of schedules, and start a 10 game schedule where the schedules are balanced. hell, do away with conferences altogether and just play a 10 game, dog eat dog season. Then you're gonna get people bitching about tradition, but a lot of people who fall in this category are the same ones whining about a playoff.....can't have it both ways.

I do agree that the bowl season lasts too long though. WTF....GMAC bowl tomorrow? That game should've been 2 weeks ago.....

Tokens
If my info is correct Iowa was 9-0 with stanzi at qb and up 10-0 to Nwestern when he was lost for the rest of the regular season. They lost the NW game 17-10......there is a chance they are undefeated if he doesn t get hurt. Also Iowa beat Wisky 20-10 and Gtech lost to Miami-Florida-33-17........Wisky beat Miami-Florida fairly easily in the bowl game, based on those facts and Iowa's superior Def stats it was clear to me that Iowa the play in his game. The line movement really had me puzzled. I just didn t see Gtech scoring more than 20 pts on this def that would load up the box with strong secondary play behind them.

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
Big 10 had a good Bowl Season

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="padding: 25px 0pt 0pt 15px;" valign="bottom" width="1%"><table class="boxH_3053751" width="460" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="boxHC_3053751" width="*" nowrap="nowrap"> Conference-by-conference bowl records
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="boxB_3053751" width="460" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="boxBI_3053751">How each faring during the postseason games
</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="background-color: rgb(204, 204, 204);" width="460" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">Conference</td><td class="textMed" align="center">Schools</td><td class="textMed" align="center">Record</td><td class="textMed" align="center">Percentage</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">Independents (1)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">Navy</td><td class="textMed" align="center">1-0</td><td class="textMed" align="center">1.000</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">Sun Belt (2)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">MidTen,Troy</td><td class="textMed" align="center">1-0</td><td class="textMed" align="center">1.000</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">MWC (5)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">AF,BYU,TCU,Utah,Wyom</td><td class="textMed" align="center">4-1</td><td class="textMed" align="center">.800</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">Big East (6)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">Cincy,Pitt,Rut,UConn,USF,WVU</td><td class="textMed" align="center">4-2</td><td class="textMed" align="center">.667</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">Big 12 (8)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">ISU,Mizzou,Neb,OU,OklaSt,Texas,TexA&M,TT</td><td class="textMed" align="center">4-3</td><td class="textMed" align="center">.571</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">Big Ten (7)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">Iowa,MichSt,Minn,NWstrn,OSU,PSU,Wis</td><td class="textMed" align="center">4-3</td><td class="textMed" align="center">.571</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">SEC (10)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">Ala,Ark,Aub,Flor,Geor,Ky,LSU,Miss,SCar,Tenn</td><td class="textMed" align="center">5-4</td><td class="textMed" align="center">.556</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">WAC (4)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">BoiseSt,FresSt,Idaho,Nev</td><td class="textMed" align="center">2-2</td><td class="textMed" align="center">.500</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">ACC (7)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">BC,Clem,FSU,GT,Miami,UNC,VT</td><td class="textMed" align="center">3-4</td><td class="textMed" align="center">.429</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">C-USA (6)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">ECU,Hou,Marsh,SMU,SoMiss,UCF</td><td class="textMed" align="center">2-4</td><td class="textMed" align="center">.333</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">Pac-10 (7)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">Ariz,Cal,Ore,OreSt,Stan,UCLA,USC</td><td class="textMed" align="center">2-5</td><td class="textMed" align="center">.286</td></tr><tr style="background-color: white;"><td class="textMed" align="left">MAC (5)</td><td class="textMed" align="center">BGreen,CMich,NIU,Ohio,Tem</td><td class="textMed" align="center">0-4</td><td class="textMed" align="center">.000</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="boxF_3053751" width="460" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="boxFI_3053751">Updated through Jan. 5 games
</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td><td valign="bottom" width="99%">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

but there have been a whole lot better over the years

at least y'all didn't get pounded this year. Hell, you even won the ACC challenge for the first time ever, I guess you should be elated. Certainly better than having your two best teams destroyed in the BCS games, like Michigan and Ohio St were recently.

Nirvana Shill
Tokens
Oh, boo hoo hoo.....no playoffs.....everybody cries about a playoff, but nobody has any suggestions on how to do it.....8 teams you say!!!! Well, how do you decide the 8 teams? Does an undefeated WAC team or MWC team deserve to make it over a 1 loss -- hell, even a 2 loss sec, big 10 or 12 team --? If that's the case, fuck the regular season!!! Everybody load up and gangbang cinderella!!!

I say, realign the conferences, kick out a handful of Tulanes and San Jose St.'s who do nothing to add to strength of schedules, and start a 10 game schedule where the schedules are balanced. hell, do away with conferences altogether and just play a 10 game, dog eat dog season. Then you're gonna get people bitching about tradition, but a lot of people who fall in this category are the same ones whining about a playoff.....can't have it both ways.

I do agree that the bowl season lasts too long though. WTF....GMAC bowl tomorrow? That game should've been 2 weeks ago.....

Its real easy, 6 BCS conference champions get automatic BCS bids plus 2 at large teams. Makes the season alot more meaningful now since teams that go undefeated are not regulated to a exhibition game. If your playing for a conference championship and a bid, how would that not keep interest in the regular season ? Now its if you lose, your out ! That loses interest for me ! Your playing 4 BCS games as quarterfinal games. Winners advance ! That means only 3 extra games then you have now. You can keep the rest of the lower tier bowls exactly as you do now, just as CBB has the NIT.

Tokens

Last year, you were saying how great the Pac 10 was and how there was no love for their 5-0 bowl record. Now, that the Pac 10 has 2-6, they mean nothing right?

So, which is it, the bowl games don't mean anything or they do?

Nirvana Shill
Tokens
Last year, you were saying how great the Pac 10 was and how there was no love for their 5-0 bowl record. Now, that the Pac 10 has 2-6, they mean nothing right?

So, which is it, the bowl games don't mean anything or they do?
The only reason I argued for Pac 10 was because of the constant trashing they get from SEC etc. Even with a 5-0 Bowl record, its still proves basically nothing. Nice job , but thats it. Nice job by Big 10, but thats it. These Bowl games are nothing more then glorified exhibition games. You can pull my threads from previous years and I say the same thing, along before last years 5-0 Pac 10 run.

Banned
Tokens
Its real easy, 6 BCS conference champions get automatic BCS bids plus 2 at large teams. Makes the season alot more meaningful now since teams that go undefeated are not regulated to a exhibition game. If your playing for a conference championship and a bid, how would that not keep interest in the regular season ? Now its if you lose, your out ! That loses interest for me ! Your playing 4 BCS games as quarterfinal games. Winners advance ! That means only 3 extra games then you have now. You can keep the rest of the lower tier bowls exactly as you do now, just as CBB has the NIT.

I think they should do away with conference championships, or force every conference to play them. Would Florida have still deserved a spot in an 8 team playoff after losing to 'Bama? The biggest problem I have with keeping conferences the way they are is that it doesn't allow for an equal SOS....I do not think an undefeated team out of the WAC or MWC should get the nod over a one loss team like Florida or an Oklahoma or similar teams year in and year out. I did notice that Boise scheduled 2 good OOC games next year, so it will get harder to argue against them if they run the table again.

1A teams also should stop scheduling 1AA teams, and I'm also tired of seeing teams from power conferences schedule weak non conference opponents and falling back on the "we play in a tough conference" to excuse it. If Nebraska had managed to hang on against Texas, would they have deserved an automatic spot in a playoff game over a team like Florida? The Big 12 North has been pretty weak for most of the past several years, which is another reason I'm against conference championship games and "automatic" qualifiers. It's another reason why I would like to see conference realignments if they do go to a playoff system. If there's gonna be an 8 team playoff, then make 8 conferences where everybody plays within its conference -- hell, if you go to a 10 game schedule, you could split each of the 8 conferences into 2 divisions and have a conference title game -- effectively making a 16 team playoff and no team plays more than 14 games.....

But I guess there's no perfect system, even in the NFL. Look at last season. The Chargers go to the playoffs at 8-8 while the Patriots were left out at 11-5. It just seems like 9 out of 10 people who argue for a playoff really have no idea of how it should be done...."put 8 teams into it" is really all they have to say. I will admit I love the tradition of the bowls and I'm not old enough to remember the '70s and early '80s, but I don't remember hearing much talk about a playoff until the early '90s. I do think the way they stretch out the bowls now is stupid -- there was like a 2 day stretch (I think it was something like Xmas eve and Xmas) where there was hardly a game on -- the GMAC bowl would have been much more interesting to me in that time frame. I wish they would have kept the major bowls on New Year's Day, with the title game being the primetime game.

Nirvana Shill
Tokens
I think they should do away with conference championships, or force every conference to play them. Would Florida have still deserved a spot in an 8 team playoff after losing to 'Bama? The biggest problem I have with keeping conferences the way they are is that it doesn't allow for an equal SOS....I do not think an undefeated team out of the WAC or MWC should get the nod over a one loss team like Florida or an Oklahoma or similar teams year in and year out. I did notice that Boise scheduled 2 good OOC games next year, so it will get harder to argue against them if they run the table again.

1A teams also should stop scheduling 1AA teams, and I'm also tired of seeing teams from power conferences schedule weak non conference opponents and falling back on the "we play in a tough conference" to excuse it. If Nebraska had managed to hang on against Texas, would they have deserved an automatic spot in a playoff game over a team like Florida? The Big 12 North has been pretty weak for most of the past several years, which is another reason I'm against conference championship games and "automatic" qualifiers. It's another reason why I would like to see conference realignments if they do go to a playoff system. If there's gonna be an 8 team playoff, then make 8 conferences where everybody plays within its conference -- hell, if you go to a 10 game schedule, you could split each of the 8 conferences into 2 divisions and have a conference title game -- effectively making a 16 team playoff and no team plays more than 14 games.....

But I guess there's no perfect system, even in the NFL. Look at last season. The Chargers go to the playoffs at 8-8 while the Patriots were left out at 11-5. It just seems like 9 out of 10 people who argue for a playoff really have no idea of how it should be done...."put 8 teams into it" is really all they have to say. I will admit I love the tradition of the bowls and I'm not old enough to remember the '70s and early '80s, but I don't remember hearing much talk about a playoff until the early '90s. I do think the way they stretch out the bowls now is stupid -- there was like a 2 day stretch (I think it was something like Xmas eve and Xmas) where there was hardly a game on -- the GMAC bowl would have been much more interesting to me in that time frame. I wish they would have kept the major bowls on New Year's Day, with the title game being the primetime game.

I have no problem if some team EARNS there way in by winning on the field, just like the automatic conference winner in CBB that gets them in to the tournament. That means the regular season still does matter because they are all trying to win the Conference championship to get into QTR final game.

Tokens
The only reason I argued for Pac 10 was because of the constant trashing they get from SEC etc. Even with a 5-0 Bowl record, its still proves basically nothing. Nice job , but thats it. Nice job by Big 10, but thats it. These Bowl games are nothing more then glorified exhibition games. You can pull my threads from previous years and I say the same thing, along before last years 5-0 Pac 10 run.

I would agree with that assertion.

Tokens
One thing that can be gained from last night's game is neither Georgia Tech or Iowa deserved to play in a "BCS" Bowl.

Tokens
Bowl games are not a clear indication of who is the better conference...too many variables....

Give me a regular season game or a real BCS Playoff system to give me a clearer perspective...

I love how this has been the top reason that everyone uses for the Big 10 being weak, but when the Big 10 has a good bowl year, suddenly bowl games dont mean anything. Cracks me up:103631605

Sounds like something a PAC10 fan would say this year.

Big 10 not the best conference, but certainly not the worst.

Tokens
One thing that can be gained from last night's game is neither Georgia Tech or Iowa deserved to play in a "BCS" Bowl.

Will you say the same thing about Bama and Texas if the game ends 14-10? Some questionable play calls by Ferentz, but otherwise a great game by Iowa, and a deserving BCS Bowl win.

Nirvana Shill
Tokens
I love how this has been the top reason that everyone uses for the Big 10 being weak, but when the Big 10 has a good bowl year, suddenly bowl games dont mean anything. Cracks me up:103631605

Sounds like something a PAC10 fan would say this year.

Big 10 not the best conference, but certainly not the worst.

I'm a Pac 10 fan and am telling you that the Pac 10 going 5-0 last year is not any different then what Big 10 is doing this year. Problem here is, the fools on TV have brainwashed individuals such as yourself that these so called Post season games are important and are a guage for Conference strength. These are the same fools that don't want to see anykind of change and try to convince us every year why these games are important. Like i have always have said, if you have to convince me, then they are not important.

Tokens
I'm a Pac 10 fan and am telling you that the Pac 10 going 5-0 last year is not any different then what Big 10 is doing this year. Problem here is, the fools on TV have brainwashed individuals such as yourself that these so called Post season games are important and are a guage for Conference strength. These are the same fools that don't want to see anykind of change and try to convince us every year why these games are important. Like i have always have said, if you have to convince me, then they are not important.

This man knows what he is talking about. :toast:

Tokens

Read my posts. I never said that these games carry all of the weight in determining the strength of a conference. I can watch my conference all season to see that just like other conferences, there's a couple good teams at the top, and the rest is just filler. I was simply commenting on the fact that people love tearing down the Big10 for years now because of their bowl record, but in year that the Big10 does well, suddenly the bowls dont mean anything. You cant have it both ways. I will say however, that it still does mean something however big or small, when one conference's best faces another. It starts losing it's luster when you have a 5 or 6 place playing each other.

www.youtubecom/hubbardsmusic
Tokens
3 teams in the top 10 final poll for the 4th time in 8 seasons.:toast:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zozospaspa
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com