Best Players At 53 Different Skills In 2023 NFL Draft

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

NFL draft 2023: Best prospects at 53 different skills​

ESPN PLUP $ MATERIAL

We love talking about traits leading up to the NFL draft. Accuracy, arm strength and mobility for quarterbacks. Elusiveness, physicality and speed for offensive skill positions. Power and agility for linemen. Burst, bend and range for front-seven defenders. And ball-hawking and instincts in the secondary. Prospect scouting reports are filled with detailed breakdowns in these departments. But who is truly the best in the 2023 class at each individual skill?

I put together my annual list of the best at everything -- the skill superlatives of this year's draft class -- for 53 different categories. Where do top prospects separate themselves? Which quarterback displays the best arm talent? Which wideout is the top route runner of the class? Who is the hardest-hitting defensive back or the most powerful edge rusher? I picked the best prospect in 53 separate areas and capped it all off with three sleepers who have a lot of upside.

_end_rule.png
i

Most accurate passer: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State​

Stroud completed 69.8% of his passes over 25 career starts at Ohio State, and he threw a catchable pass on 79.4% of his attempts last season (19th-best in the country). With a natural, easy motion, Stroud can deliver the ball with precise placement at the second and third levels of the field, using both velocity and touch to hit his targets. He's a pocket passer with enough mobility to get to the edges or escape pressure, and we've seen Stroud throw the ball with high-level accuracy both on the tape and during his combine/pro day workouts.

i

Best arm talent: Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida​

With a rare physical tools at 6-foot-4 and 244 pounds, Richardson can attack all levels of the field with his big-time arm strength. The ball simply explodes out of his hand, which puts him in a position to throw over the top of the defense or attack tight windows on both middle-of-the-field and boundary concepts. Yes, he needs to work on the accuracy part of it, but he can drive the ball and throws rockets. His 9.9 air yards per attempt ranked 16th in the FBS last season, and 46 of his 176 completions were on passes thrown at least 15 yards downfield.

i

Best mechanics: Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee​

With detailed and controlled footwork in his drops and a clean, over-the-top release, Hooker is a refined thrower with the necessary tools to produce from the pocket. He plays tall in the pocket and is at his best on rhythm concepts, which match well with his efficient upper- and lower-body mechanics. Hooker played in 11 games last year before a torn ACL ended his season.

i

Best field vision: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama​

With two years of high-level production in a pro-style system at Alabama, Young has the ability to decipher defensive looks pre-snap and the accelerated vision to read it out post-snap. This allows Young to play within rhythm as a passer, while also taking the throws that are available based on late defensive rotation. He's a pro-ready quarterback given what he was asked to do in Bill O'Brien's system. And his field vision really comes into play when he's pressured; he was 13th in QBR under duress (30.1) and third outside the pocket (95.7) last season.

i

Best pocket presence: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama​

Young is an easy, calculated mover in tight quarters and plays with excellent poise when the walls start to close in around him. His eye level stays consistent, and Young has a great feel for when to slide, climb and create space for himself inside the pocket. I see similarities to the college tape of Joe Burrow; Young can move to reset his throwing window while still staying on schedule. And that's a key trait to producing in the NFL.

i

Quickest release: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky​

Levis has multiple high-level traits -- including his arm talent and mobility -- but it's the quick and compact release that stands out. That smooth delivery allows Levis to throw from multiple arm slots and platforms, getting the ball out with both speed and velocity. And we see this often with Levis on drive throws to the second level of the field. He can rip it.

i

Best scrambler: Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida​

Richardson can produce on designed carries or second-reaction scramble attempts, finding escape doors to get loose. He rushed for 654 yards this past season, including four carries of at least 45 yards, and his 6.4 yards per carry led all quarterbacks by a significant margin. Richardson is a game-breaker in the open field, with 4.43 speed, ball-carrier vision and the power to run through contact. And those traits as a runner will impact how opposing defenses game plan against Richardson in the pros.

i

Best power/contact balance: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas​

Robinson broke 37 tackles and averaged 3.9 yards after first contact last season, both top-15 numbers in the FBS. With 54 more evaded tackles, he forced 91 missed tackles overall -- which led the nation. In either gap or zone schemes, Robinson can drop the pads or bounce off defenders to tack on extra yardage. He's an all-purpose playmaker, too. And I think he's the best overall prospect in this class.

i

Best home run speed: Devon Achane, RB, Texas A&M​

Achane plays big despite his 5-foot-9, 188-pound frame. He's decisive on downhill schemes and knows how to find daylight. And the speed is real. Achane dropped a 4.32 in the 40 at the combine, fastest among all the running backs. He's an explosive-play runner when he bounces the ball to the perimeter, and it's no surprise that Achane posted 11 rushes of 20 yards or more in 2022, which ranked inside the top 25.

i

Most sudden: Eric Gray, RB, Oklahoma​

Gray can set up and shake defenders using his sudden change-of-direction traits and short-area speed to drive through traffic. In 2022, Gray evaded 44 tackles, second in the nation to only Bijan Robinson. And while he doesn't have the long speed to rip off home runs, Gray has a running style that translates to first-down carries, an area he finished tied for sixth nationally last season.

i

Most elusive: Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane​

An angular runner, Spears elevates his game once he hits the second level, using both his vision and cutting ability to slice through defensive pursuit angles, which leads to explosive-play runs. Last season at Tulane, Spears notched 35 rushes of 10 yards or more -- including four in the Cotton Bowl win over USC -- and averaged 6.9 yards per carry. And he finished with 34 evaded tackles, tied for ninth most in the country.

i

Best route runner: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State​

Smith-Njigba posted a lightning quick 6.57-second three-cone time and a 3.93-second short shuttle at the combine. He's a terrific lateral mover with route skills and short-area juice, and he can be deployed out of the slot in the pro game. JSN will shake defenders and uncover, and he can press down the field on slot fades and seams. Smith-Njigba played in only three games this past season because of injury, but the 2021 tape points to his ability to produce. During that season, he averaged 4.1 yards per route, most in the country.

i

Most explosive: Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College​

It's the game speed and the overall demeanor that pops for Flowers. He can get loose at all three levels of the field, with the toughness and open-field elusiveness to produce after the catch. Flowers needs to be more consistent at the catch point in the NFL, but he scored 12 touchdowns in his final college season, and the traits are there for him to quickly develop into an offensive playmaker at the NFL level. He ran a 4.42 in the 40-yard dash at the combine and picked up 515 yards after the catch during the 2022 season.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
i

Best ball skills: Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee​

Tillman has the makeup of a boundary X receiver in the pros at 6-foot-3 and 213 pounds, and he has the ball skills to win both inside or outside the numbers. He can press inside to work the dirty areas of the field or track the ball vertically. An ankle injury limited Tillman to 34 receptions this past season, but he posted 64 catches for 1,081 yards and 12 scores in 2021. He should be getting more hype because of his NFL fit and physicality.

i

Best deep threat: Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee​

Hyatt averaged 18.9 yards per catch last season, with 14 receptions (tied for fourth most) and eight touchdowns (second) on throws of 20 or more yards down the field. He's a true vertical threat from both boundary and slot alignments, and I think he plays even faster than the 4.40 time he posted in the 40-yard dash at the combine. Hyatt eats up grass in a hurry when pushing down the field.

i

Most dynamic WR: Nathaniel Dell, WR, Houston​

I had the chance to watch Dell down in Mobile, Alabama, at the Senior Bowl workouts. He's a sudden mover with eclectic traits, and we see that on tape, too. Dell is a dynamic target in the pass game who can shake coverage at the top of the route. In 2022, Dell led the nation in receiving with 1,398 yards and racked up 17 touchdown receptions, with 14 coming on red zone throws. He can get free in space, which we also see in his ability to flip the field on punt returns.

i

Best separation speed: Jordan Addison, WR, USC​

Addison logged 159 receptions and 25 touchdown catches over his past two college seasons at Pitt and USC, and he's one of six players with at least 100 first-down catches over that span. He's a highly productive receiver who can separate from coverage. This is where Addison can generate speed out of his breaks, especially on intermediate concepts. I see calm feet, easy hips and the ability to sink and burst. He also ran a solid 4.49 in the 40 at the combine.

i

Best catch-and-run ability: Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU​

Johnston has the physical skill set and upside to project as a boundary target. In 2022, he averaged 17.8 yards per catch -- and 8.9 yards after the catch per reception, 11th best in the nation. His 24 forced missed tackles after the catch ranked fifth in the nation last season, too. With a still-developing route tree, Johnston can be set up on crossers, slants and screens to use his explosive traits in space during his rookie season.

i

Best in motion: Tyler Scott, WR, Cincinnati​

A rapid accelerator with vertical speed and big-play chops, Scott can be deployed in the NFL on motion/movement touches. Think screens, fly sweeps, reverses and even backfield alignments. Scott has the open-field quickness and ball carrier vision to be deployed as a versatile asset in a pro offense, in addition to what he brings to the route tree. He ran a 4.44 in the 40-yard dash in March.

i

Most powerful WR: Jonathan Mingo, WR, Ole Miss​

Mingo is an advanced route runner with a powerful 6-foot-2, 220-pound frame and plenty of ball skills. He projects as a slot/outside target who can use that size and play style to add on numbers after the catch. Mingo averaged 16.9 yards per reception for Ole Miss last season, and I believe he can be schemed up in an NFL offense to attack open coverage voids while using his frame/route traits to separate and shield defenders from the ball against man coverage. He ranked 21st last season in receiving yards after first contact with 204.

i

Best contested-catch ability: Bryce Ford-Wheaton, WR, West Virginia​

Ford-Wheaton has the size (6-foot-4, 221 pounds) and catch radius to make the plays on 50-50 balls as a boundary target in the pros. While his route running needs refinement to produce consistent numbers against NFL competition, he posted explosive testing numbers, including a 4.34-second 40 and 41-inch vertical. Ford-Wheaton has some late-round upside because of his ability to come down with anything thrown in his neighborhood. He made 18 contested catches last season, 15th most in the FBS.

i

Best pass-catching RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama​

Gibbs logged 44 receptions last season in Bama's offense, showcasing his receiving traits out of the backfield and from flexed formations. With 4.36 speed and a true playmaking element to his game, he can be deployed as a matchup player on pass concepts in addition to what he brings as a runner. He can slip tacklers, and his 19 forced missed tackles on catches led all FBS running backs in 2022.

i

Best seam-stretcher: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah​

Kincaid has the route traits and straight-line speed to press the seams in the pro game. And at 6-foot-4 with a catch radius to locate the ball outside of his frame, he can win one-on-ones against tight coverage at the second and third level. Kincaid has the profile of a big slot target in the NFL, and the numbers from last season (70 receptions, 890 yards receiving, eight touchdowns) point to his pass-catching skill set. He tied for the national lead among tight ends in catches on passes thrown at least 20 yards downfield (six).

i

Most rugged after the catch: Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa​

LaPorta can rumble after the catch. I see it all over the tape on middle-of-the-field targets, slants from flexed boundary alignments and tight end screens. In 2022, LaPorta averaged 6.5 yards after the catch and forced 20 missed tackles on receptions, tied for second most among tight ends. He's a rugged mover in space at 6-foot-3 and 245 pounds, and he displayed solid 4.59 speed at the combine.

i

Best red zone target: Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia​

With a massive 6-foot-7, 264-pound frame and really good body control, Washington projects as a productive red zone target with more pass-game usage in the pros. He can run the seams and corners from the higher parts of the red zone, while also creating isolation matchups inside the 10-yard line. He's big and strong enough to post up defensive backs or linebackers here, and he makes for a really tough matchup. He didn't see many targets last season while playing behind Brock Bowers, but two of his three red zone catches were TDs.

i

Best blocking TE: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame​

With a powerful 6-foot-5, 249-pound frame, Mayer can block as an in-line tight end. He has really good strength there and plenty of range. Plus, Mayer can still produce in the route tree. He caught 67 passes for the Irish last season and logged 16 total touchdowns over his final two years in South Bend. He's a chain-mover in the middle of the field with the versatility to create matchups outside the formation.

i

Best pass protector: Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State​

Johnson has the movement
traits and long frame to major in pass protection. The quick get-off and lower-body agility to counter edge speed are already there, and he can create angles to win matchups. With more technique refinement, Jones can develop into a blocker who owns the left side of the line. At 6-foot-6 and 313 pounds, he's difficult to get around, and he allowed only two sacks over 422 pass-blocking snaps last season.

i

Best run blocker: Matthew Bergeron, OT, Syracuse​

Bergeron can win in both gap and zone run schemes. He can move defenders off the ball and displays the skill set to climb and latch onto linebackers at the second level. A strike-and-drive blocker, Bergeron fits best in a run-heavy NFL system that uses a lot of play-action protection. He amazingly didn't blow a single run block last season.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

i

Best blocking technique: Peter Skoronski, G/OT, Northwestern​

Skoronski has the most pro-ready technique in the offensive line class. When it comes to his hands, footwork and pad level, his tape is filled with clinic-worthy reps on how to mesh blocking traits in both the run and pass game with the critical details of the position. Skoronski might be a better fit inside with shorter 32¼-inch arms, but the technique is there for the Northwestern product to play really good football from Day 1 of camp. He gave up just one sack and blew three runs blocks on 860 snaps.

i

Best OL footspeed: Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia​

A 6-foot-5, 311-pound ascending prospect, Jones can keep rushers off his edges and redirect to counter inside moves. He ran a 4.97-second 40-yard dash, which led all offensive linemen at the combine. And like Johnson, Jones has both the length (34¾-inch arms) and body control to develop into a starter who wins consistently on the left side. Jones didn't allow a sack last season over 15 starts.

i

Best finisher: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota​

Schmitz is a tenacious player. He can reach and climb in a zone run scheme, but he can also finish defenders. That really jumped out to me when watching Schmitz at the Senior Bowl workouts. He's a tone-setter on the offensive front.

i

Fastest closing speed: Will Anderson Jr., OLB, Alabama​

Anderson can close in a hurry, working the edges of offensive tackles or dipping inside to create a quick, vertical path to the quarterback. And he can run down QBs looking to escape or extend the pocket. Anderson notched 10 sacks for the Crimson Tide last season, bringing his three-year total to 34.5. He then ran a 4.60 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, with a 1.61-second 10-yard split.

i

Quickest first step: Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh​

Kancey has easy juice off the ball, with the foot quickness and lateral speed to slice through interior gaps and create instant disruption. He's a matchup player who can be schemed in loaded pro fronts to win one-on-one with offensive guards in protection. Kancey ran a historic 4.67 in the 40-yard dash at the combine and had seven sacks in each of his past two seasons at Pitt.

i

Best speed-to-power: Tyree Wilson, DE, Texas Tech​

I see straight-line gas off the ball, incredible length and the power to put offensive tackles back on their heels on Wilson's tape. At 6-foot-6 and 271 pounds, Wilson is a scheme-versatile defender. And he shows the traits and upside to develop into a terror on the edge. He compiled 14 sacks and 30.5 tackles for loss over his final two collegiate seasons.

i

Most powerful DL: Lukas Van Ness, DE, Iowa​

At 6-foot-5 and 272 pounds, Van Ness can play with power. On tape, you regularly see him long arm and bull rush blockers. He can get off the ball and strike blockers. And even with a shallow tool box of pass-rush moves at this stage, Van Ness is an rising talent who has the size and speed to develop quickly in the pros. He posted 14 sacks over the past two seasons at Iowa.

i

Most physical DL: Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia​

Carter is a top-five prospect with game-wrecking talent. A force on the interior with a 6-foot-3, 314-pound frame, Carter uses his physicality to hold gaps or stone double-teams. And he can walk back guards in pass pro. Simply put, he's a people-mover.

i

Best hand usage: Nolan Smith, OLB, Georgia​

Smith has the speed to attack off the edge, and he's slippery enough to snake through gaps. But let's not forget about the technique or the hand usage, which are key tools to creating early production as a pro. This is where Smith can stack and shed to create leverage for himself. He was limited to eight games last season because of a pec injury but still had three sacks.

i

Best lower-body flex/bend: Will McDonald IV, DE, Iowa State​

With loose ankles and the lower-body flexibility to bend off the edge, McDonald can sink, dip and flatten the rush path. He registered 26 sacks over his last three seasons in Ames, and he's a better fit for a pro scheme where he will play from wide alignments in both base and sub personnel.

i

Best motor: Myles Murphy, DE, Clemson​

Murphy has plenty of pass-rushing traits at 6-foot-5 and 268 pounds, he can bend, and he ran in the 4.5 range in the 40-yard dash at Clemson's pro day. But the effort level allows Murphy to clean up in the run game as a backside pursuit defender and find the quarterback later in the down. He's a high-energy edge player.

i

Most second-level range: Drew Sanders, ILB, Arkansas​

Sanders can work sideline to sideline in pursuit or get to depth in coverage. With a 6-foot-5 frame to close down throwing windows, he posted 111 tackles and 10 run stops last season. And for the record, Sanders also has the pass-rush traits that could make him a solid sub-package edge rusher in today's multiple NFL fronts.

i

Best run-stopping instincts: Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa​

Campbell sees it fast from the middle linebacker position, creating clean angles to the ball -- and he's physical on contact. He's a strong tackler who can build a long pro career as a downhill thumper, and I see the size and toughness to rack up stops against the run game at the next level. Campbell registered 122 tackles and 11 run stops last season.

i

Best second-level blitzer: Trenton Simpson, ILB, Clemson​

Simpson logged 12.5 sacks during his three years at Clemson. With 4.43 speed, he can be set up to get home in an aggressive pro system, peppering the A and B gaps on stunts and blitzes, while also being deployed as a spy out of sub fronts to hunt down quarterbacks.

i

Best technique in coverage: DJ Turner, CB, Michigan​

It's the footwork, hands and lateral agility that I want to point out here. Turner can play on the boundary, but I like him even more aligning inside as a slot corner. He will mirror releases and run with seams and overs with his blistering 4.26 speed -- the fastest speed at the combine this year.

i

Top ball hawk: Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State​

Forbes has the play instincts to get a jump on the throws, and his long frame creates more on-the-ball opportunities. In three seasons at Mississippi State, Forbes recorded 14 interceptions and 18 pass breakups. And six of those interceptions went for touchdowns the other way. He's a playmaking coverage corner with the 4.35 speed to track the ball at the third level.

i

Best press-coverage ability: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State​

Porter will challenge, disrupt and take control of the releases. With a 6-foot-2 frame, he's an ideal fit for a press-man or Cover 2 defense. Porter uses his 34-inch length and physicality to get his hands on wide receivers and wreck the timing of the route. He allowed just 3.7 yards per pass thrown his way last year (fifth best in the nation) and forced incompletions on 37.9% of his targets (best in the nation).

i

Best coverage instincts: Brian Branch, S/CB, Alabama​

A multidimensional defensive back with coverage skills and safety range, Branch has the football awareness to play faster than his timed speed (4.58). He's a high-level defensive processor who played in a pro scheme at Alabama. Branch can key and diagnose quickly as a coverage defender, and he has the traits to squeeze receivers or undercut the ball.

i

Best backfield vision: Riley Moss, CB, Iowa​

Moss has the skill set to open and run in man coverage, but his backfield vision really shows up when playing in zone schemes. He can read inside to the quarterback as an outside third or flat defender, lying in the weeds, seeing the concept and breaking on the throw with 4.45 speed. And Moss has the ball skills to finish, picking off 11 passes over five seasons.

i

Best transition ability: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon​

Fluid and smooth, with the ability to flip his hips and redirect, Gonzalez has the skills of a top cover corner. The tape shows us an easy mover in both man and zone coverage, and he can match verticals and play through multiple breaking routes with 4.38 speed.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

i

Best blocking technique: Peter Skoronski, G/OT, Northwestern​

Skoronski has the most pro-ready technique in the offensive line class. When it comes to his hands, footwork and pad level, his tape is filled with clinic-worthy reps on how to mesh blocking traits in both the run and pass game with the critical details of the position. Skoronski might be a better fit inside with shorter 32¼-inch arms, but the technique is there for the Northwestern product to play really good football from Day 1 of camp. He gave up just one sack and blew three runs blocks on 860 snaps.

i

Best OL footspeed: Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia​

A 6-foot-5, 311-pound ascending prospect, Jones can keep rushers off his edges and redirect to counter inside moves. He ran a 4.97-second 40-yard dash, which led all offensive linemen at the combine. And like Johnson, Jones has both the length (34¾-inch arms) and body control to develop into a starter who wins consistently on the left side. Jones didn't allow a sack last season over 15 starts.

i

Best finisher: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota​

Schmitz is a tenacious player. He can reach and climb in a zone run scheme, but he can also finish defenders. That really jumped out to me when watching Schmitz at the Senior Bowl workouts. He's a tone-setter on the offensive front.

i

Fastest closing speed: Will Anderson Jr., OLB, Alabama​

Anderson can close in a hurry, working the edges of offensive tackles or dipping inside to create a quick, vertical path to the quarterback. And he can run down QBs looking to escape or extend the pocket. Anderson notched 10 sacks for the Crimson Tide last season, bringing his three-year total to 34.5. He then ran a 4.60 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, with a 1.61-second 10-yard split.

i

Quickest first step: Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh​

Kancey has easy juice off the ball, with the foot quickness and lateral speed to slice through interior gaps and create instant disruption. He's a matchup player who can be schemed in loaded pro fronts to win one-on-one with offensive guards in protection. Kancey ran a historic 4.67 in the 40-yard dash at the combine and had seven sacks in each of his past two seasons at Pitt.

i

Best speed-to-power: Tyree Wilson, DE, Texas Tech​

I see straight-line gas off the ball, incredible length and the power to put offensive tackles back on their heels on Wilson's tape. At 6-foot-6 and 271 pounds, Wilson is a scheme-versatile defender. And he shows the traits and upside to develop into a terror on the edge. He compiled 14 sacks and 30.5 tackles for loss over his final two collegiate seasons.

i

Most powerful DL: Lukas Van Ness, DE, Iowa​

At 6-foot-5 and 272 pounds, Van Ness can play with power. On tape, you regularly see him long arm and bull rush blockers. He can get off the ball and strike blockers. And even with a shallow tool box of pass-rush moves at this stage, Van Ness is an rising talent who has the size and speed to develop quickly in the pros. He posted 14 sacks over the past two seasons at Iowa.

i

Most physical DL: Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia​

Carter is a top-five prospect with game-wrecking talent. A force on the interior with a 6-foot-3, 314-pound frame, Carter uses his physicality to hold gaps or stone double-teams. And he can walk back guards in pass pro. Simply put, he's a people-mover.

i

Best hand usage: Nolan Smith, OLB, Georgia​

Smith has the speed to attack off the edge, and he's slippery enough to snake through gaps. But let's not forget about the technique or the hand usage, which are key tools to creating early production as a pro. This is where Smith can stack and shed to create leverage for himself. He was limited to eight games last season because of a pec injury but still had three sacks.

i

Best lower-body flex/bend: Will McDonald IV, DE, Iowa State​

With loose ankles and the lower-body flexibility to bend off the edge, McDonald can sink, dip and flatten the rush path. He registered 26 sacks over his last three seasons in Ames, and he's a better fit for a pro scheme where he will play from wide alignments in both base and sub personnel.

i

Best motor: Myles Murphy, DE, Clemson​

Murphy has plenty of pass-rushing traits at 6-foot-5 and 268 pounds, he can bend, and he ran in the 4.5 range in the 40-yard dash at Clemson's pro day. But the effort level allows Murphy to clean up in the run game as a backside pursuit defender and find the quarterback later in the down. He's a high-energy edge player.

i

Most second-level range: Drew Sanders, ILB, Arkansas​

Sanders can work sideline to sideline in pursuit or get to depth in coverage. With a 6-foot-5 frame to close down throwing windows, he posted 111 tackles and 10 run stops last season. And for the record, Sanders also has the pass-rush traits that could make him a solid sub-package edge rusher in today's multiple NFL fronts.

i

Best run-stopping instincts: Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa​

Campbell sees it fast from the middle linebacker position, creating clean angles to the ball -- and he's physical on contact. He's a strong tackler who can build a long pro career as a downhill thumper, and I see the size and toughness to rack up stops against the run game at the next level. Campbell registered 122 tackles and 11 run stops last season.

i

Best second-level blitzer: Trenton Simpson, ILB, Clemson​

Simpson logged 12.5 sacks during his three years at Clemson. With 4.43 speed, he can be set up to get home in an aggressive pro system, peppering the A and B gaps on stunts and blitzes, while also being deployed as a spy out of sub fronts to hunt down quarterbacks.

i

Best technique in coverage: DJ Turner, CB, Michigan​

It's the footwork, hands and lateral agility that I want to point out here. Turner can play on the boundary, but I like him even more aligning inside as a slot corner. He will mirror releases and run with seams and overs with his blistering 4.26 speed -- the fastest speed at the combine this year.

i

Top ball hawk: Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State​

Forbes has the play instincts to get a jump on the throws, and his long frame creates more on-the-ball opportunities. In three seasons at Mississippi State, Forbes recorded 14 interceptions and 18 pass breakups. And six of those interceptions went for touchdowns the other way. He's a playmaking coverage corner with the 4.35 speed to track the ball at the third level.

i

Best press-coverage ability: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State​

Porter will challenge, disrupt and take control of the releases. With a 6-foot-2 frame, he's an ideal fit for a press-man or Cover 2 defense. Porter uses his 34-inch length and physicality to get his hands on wide receivers and wreck the timing of the route. He allowed just 3.7 yards per pass thrown his way last year (fifth best in the nation) and forced incompletions on 37.9% of his targets (best in the nation).

i

Best coverage instincts: Brian Branch, S/CB, Alabama​

A multidimensional defensive back with coverage skills and safety range, Branch has the football awareness to play faster than his timed speed (4.58). He's a high-level defensive processor who played in a pro scheme at Alabama. Branch can key and diagnose quickly as a coverage defender, and he has the traits to squeeze receivers or undercut the ball.

i

Best backfield vision: Riley Moss, CB, Iowa​

Moss has the skill set to open and run in man coverage, but his backfield vision really shows up when playing in zone schemes. He can read inside to the quarterback as an outside third or flat defender, lying in the weeds, seeing the concept and breaking on the throw with 4.45 speed. And Moss has the ball skills to finish, picking off 11 passes over five seasons.

i

Best transition ability: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon​

Fluid and smooth, with the ability to flip his hips and redirect, Gonzalez has the skills of a top cover corner. The tape shows us an easy mover in both man and zone coverage, and he can match verticals and play through multiple breaking routes with 4.38 speed.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

i

Most urgency in coverage: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois​

Witherspoon's demeanor can set the identity of the secondary. Urgent and competitive, he logged 14 pass breakups and three picks last season. Witherspoon plays fast, and that same aggression shows up against the run game. I would want this guy in my defensive back room.

i

Best deep-field range: Jartavius Martin, S, Illinois​

Martin can match in coverage, and he's an explosive mover with good speed. His 4.46-second run in the 40-yard dash ranked third among safeties at the combine, and we see him open and run well on tape. His deep range fits as a center fielder or Cover 2 safety in the league. Martin can cover some grass here. One of the most versatile defensive backs in this year's class, he logged 12 pass breakups and three interceptions for Illinois last season.

i

Best hitter: Antonio Johnson, S, Texas A&M​

At 6-foot-2 and 198 pounds, Johnson can be deployed in the NFL as a strong safety with hybrid traits in sub packages. Similar to what we see from Adrian Phillips in the Patriots' system, I like Johnson's fit as a downhill striker. He's a versatile defender who can play as a dime linebacker to disrupt plays near the line of scrimmage with his hitting ability. Despite playing in just nine games last season, Johnson still had 72 tackles.

i

Best top-down speed: Jordan Battle, S, Alabama​

With so much split-safety coverage in today's NFL -- including Quarters and Cover 2 -- Battle has the forward-moving ability to drive top down on the ball. He can erase the in-breakers, cut the crossers and spin late to patrol the middle of the field. Battle identifies concepts and gets a good jump.

i

Best secondary blitzer: Sydney Brown, S, Illinois​

He's an active defender who reminds me of San Francisco 49ers safety Talanoa Hufanga. Brown can be schemed to rush off the edge on early downs and in passing situations, and we'll see him cut it loose to disrupt run plays and pick up sacks against play-action and boot concepts. He had six pressures and a sack last season when blitzing.

_end_rule.png

Three of my favorite under-the-radar prospects​

i

Kenny McIntosh, RB, Georgia: McIntosh has the traits of an NFL third-down back. He's a natural hands catcher out of the backfield who will challenge blitzing linebackers in protection. He can also contribute in the run game as a change-of-pace back, with perimeter ability and the power to finish on contact.

i

Clark Phillips III, CB, Utah: Phillips has a smaller frame at 5-foot-9 and 184 pounds, but there's a playmaking element to his game. In three years at Utah, Clark notched nine interceptions and produced 19 pass breakups. He projects as a nickel corner who can find the ball as a hook, curl and match defender.

i

Will Mallory, TE, Miami: Mallory can make a roster this summer as a tight end, competing for reps in 12 and 13 personnel groupings. He has the frame (6-foot-4, 239 pounds) and straight-line speed (4.54) to be deployed as an underneath/middle-of-the-field target who can press the seams on play-action throws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otmtransport
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com