2023 Draft Hidden Gems

Search

Tokens
Best possible gems of the draft. By gem some players have solid 5-6 years production quality piece and others tru gem diamond in rough potential.

Few Home Runs imo HR

Baltimore RD 7
Vorheese. OT/G insane value

Buffalo
Williams LB RD 3
Broeker OT/G RD 7 HR

Carolina
Mingo WR RD 2 HR. My #1 WR
Zavala G RD 4

Chicago
Johnson RB RD 4
Sewell LB RD 5

Cincinnati
Brown RB RD 5

Cleveland
Ika DT RD 3
Wyoler C RD 7

Dallas
Fehiko ED RD 5

Denver
Mims WR RD 3 absolute steal
Sanders LB RD 3 HR absolute steal

Detroit
Green WR RD 6

Green Bay
Johnson S/CB RD 7

Houston
Horton ED RD 4
Hutchinson WR RD 6 great value

Indianapolis
Rush CB RD 5 great value
Jones CB RD 6 great value

Jacksonville
Johnson S RD 5 absolute steal top 3 S in draft

Kansas City
Morris OT RD 3 HR super underrated player

LAC
Duggan QB RD 7 real diamond in rough potential

LAR
Allen TE RD 5 sneaky upside production player

Miami
Achane RB RD 4
Hayes OT/G RD 7 great value

New Orleans
Haner QB RD 5
Perry WR RD 6 HR steal of draft legit #1 WR potential

NYJ
Kunitz TE RD 7 baby Gronk traits
Tippman C RD 2 HR 8 year starter

NYG
Schmitz C RD 2 HR 8 year starter

Philadelphia
Steen OT RD 3 HR super underrated

Pittsburgh
Herbrig ED RD 4 HR favorite sleeper in draft
Trice S/CB RD 7

San Francisco
Winters LB RD 6 incredible fit

Seattle
Morris DE RD 5

Tampa Bay
Mauch OT/G RD 2 HR underrated
Ramirez ED RD 6 sneaky good potential

Tennessee
Whylie TE RD 5
Duncan OT RD 5

Washington
Stromberg C RD 3. HR solid solid player underrated

Tokens
Awesome stuff CH. Thank you for all of the great info. I’ve been lurking (and fully absorbing) your comments on all of the various draft threads, but had to come out of the woodwork on this one. I’m in a long term IDP keeper franchise league (full teams, including all defensive positions), and this thread is pure gold for our rookie draft in late August!

Could I ask a huge favor? I’d love to see your top 10 (ranked by overall likely success within the next 2 or 3 years) on a few positions. Specifically RB, TE and DL (maybe even LB too).

Just one odd note, when it comes to DL (and LBs), I am looking for “tackling machines” rather than sack monsters. It’s nice to have guys who can do both, but consistent tackle numbers are better for scoring than sporadic sacks are.

If it’s too much of a pain, don’t bother with it. But if it’s easy for to rattle them off, then please fire away (and thank you in advance)!

Tokens
Awesome stuff CH. Thank you for all of the great info. I’ve been lurking (and fully absorbing) your comments on all of the various draft threads, but had to come out of the woodwork on this one. I’m in a long term IDP keeper franchise league (full teams, including all defensive positions), and this thread is pure gold for our rookie draft in late August!

Could I ask a huge favor? I’d love to see your top 10 (ranked by overall likely success within the next 2 or 3 years) on a few positions. Specifically RB, TE and DL (maybe even LB too).

Just one odd note, when it comes to DL (and LBs), I am looking for “tackling machines” rather than sack monsters. It’s nice to have guys who can do both, but consistent tackle numbers are better for scoring than sporadic sacks are.

If it’s too much of a pain, don’t bother with it. But if it’s easy for to rattle them off, then please fire away (and thank you in advance)!
Shit man ya should of jumped in lol. I just been talking to myself lol

I’d spewed out a bunch of stuff if anyone was engaging. This is my Xmas

Off topic but my best player evaluation ever was a true hidden nugget. Ryan Fitzpatrick! Saw him throw at combine as just a guy who threw to WR not an invite. Had a good lil post on her of him. Old account back around 2004 I believe

I’ll dig up possible good fits of guys who can rack up tackles if anything jumps out

Tokens
Herbrig I believe gets moved to LB somewhat a hybrid ED LB. He is wicked good pass rush guy. If they slide him to more LB he could smash in years to come and off the rip. While adding sacks also. Go watch his tape. Pitt is perfect fit. Younger, stronger and just little bigger taller than the 25 year old McDonald kid went rd 1. Playing in that pussy back yard big 12 ball. Herbrig did more pressure wise than him as a sophomore vs his 5th year

Winters LB SF is great fit. Not sure how Ryan departure affects play calling though. But the guys up front could keep him clean. I’d say he is a 2-3 window player as defense will lose guys in couple years

Williams kid from Tulane went to bills is a Tackle machine. I think he has a good shot to see the field maybe win the job. More your traditional LB. London fletcher type guy if you grasp me.

Martin S/CB forgot who took him rd 2. Kid from Illinois. He can play cb or s probably in a hybrid role. Possible legit star 2-3 years

Johnson Jaguars is a freak athlete. He really skipped to the 5th I had him with Martin rd 2-3 guy. More your in the box safety

Skinner from Boise st not sure who got him but a S that is a big bad dude lays the wood. Definitely a guy who should run support and has potential be a decent S but stat wise rack up lots of tackles. Has a lil Sean Taylor thump in him. 6’3 225 type kid. That’s a big safety. Should hold up well in run support

Sanders for Broncos is intriguing I just have no idea how they use him

Campbell you should already know my opinion. Nobody had him as high as I did lol. 9 overall. Screams 8-10 year career. Shades of Luke kuechely.

Herbrig
Campbell
Williams

Probably 3 most intriguing with long term upside

Offense you should probably know I was huge on AT Perry. And Mingo was my top WR. I had RD 2 grade on Perry. I’ll eat crow or look like a genius in next 2-3 years

Wheaton WR went to Giants is a good fit. Kid is raw but a freak. His DNA ain’t normal. Undrafted. I believe he may have some doesn’t care attitude. Not bad kid but just not in it. However undrafted, he wants a pay check he gotta produce in camp. A legit X big body deep guy. Never mind Hyatt. Limited route tree justva burner. Wheaton big risk big reward guy byvyear 3 if he pops off the league will definitely know his name

Few nuggets off top of my head. I’ll dig up more for ya or elaborate and narrow down few above.

Tokens
Shit man ya should of jumped in lol. I just been talking to myself lol

I’d spewed out a bunch of stuff if anyone was engaging. This is my Xmas

Off topic but my best player evaluation ever was a true hidden nugget. Ryan Fitzpatrick! Saw him throw at combine as just a guy who threw to WR not an invite. Had a good lil post on her of him. Old account back around 2004 I believe

I’ll dig up possible good fits of guys who can rack up tackles if anything jumps out
LOL - I’m super glad I finally did jump into the conversation, based on your hilarious response (“talking to myself” and “my Xmas”).

That’s an incredible story about Fitz-magic!!

Tokens
Herbrig I believe gets moved to LB somewhat a hybrid ED LB. He is wicked good pass rush guy. If they slide him to more LB he could smash in years to come and off the rip. While adding sacks also. Go watch his tape. Pitt is perfect fit. Younger, stronger and just little bigger taller than the 25 year old McDonald kid went rd 1. Playing in that pussy back yard big 12 ball. Herbrig did more pressure wise than him as a sophomore vs his 5th year

Winters LB SF is great fit. Not sure how Ryan departure affects play calling though. But the guys up front could keep him clean. I’d say he is a 2-3 window player as defense will lose guys in couple years

Williams kid from Tulane went to bills is a Tackle machine. I think he has a good shot to see the field maybe win the job. More your traditional LB. London fletcher type guy if you grasp me.

Martin S/CB forgot who took him rd 2. Kid from Illinois. He can play cb or s probably in a hybrid role. Possible legit star 2-3 years

Johnson Jaguars is a freak athlete. He really skipped to the 5th I had him with Martin rd 2-3 guy. More your in the box safety

Skinner from Boise st not sure who got him but a S that is a big bad dude lays the wood. Definitely a guy who should run support and has potential be a decent S but stat wise rack up lots of tackles. Has a lil Sean Taylor thump in him. 6’3 225 type kid. That’s a big safety. Should hold up well in run support

Sanders for Broncos is intriguing I just have no idea how they use him

Campbell you should already know my opinion. Nobody had him as high as I did lol. 9 overall. Screams 8-10 year career. Shades of Luke kuechely.

Herbrig
Campbell
Williams

Probably 3 most intriguing with long term upside

Offense you should probably know I was huge on AT Perry. And Mingo was my top WR. I had RD 2 grade on Perry. I’ll eat crow or look like a genius in next 2-3 years

Wheaton WR went to Giants is a good fit. Kid is raw but a freak. His DNA ain’t normal. Undrafted. I believe he may have some doesn’t care attitude. Not bad kid but just not in it. However undrafted, he wants a pay check he gotta produce in camp. A legit X big body deep guy. Never mind Hyatt. Limited route tree justva burner. Wheaton big risk big reward guy byvyear 3 if he pops off the league will definitely know his name

Few nuggets off top of my head. I’ll dig up more for ya or elaborate and narrow down few above.
THIS!

This is the stuff I’m talking about. Sure, some guys watch all the games, read all the various info, etc., but your analysis and knowledge are next level. It’s like your Fitzmagic story …. it’s as if your a fly on the wall somehow for all of this stuff. Next level my friend!

I’m definitely taking notes, and VERY thankful for any all nuggets you come up with.

Tokens
THIS!

This is the stuff I’m talking about. Sure, some guys watch all the games, read all the various info, etc., but your analysis and knowledge are next level. It’s like your Fitzmagic story …. it’s as if your a fly on the wall somehow for all of this stuff. Next level my friend!

I’m definitely taking notes, and VERY thankful for any all nuggets you come up with.
I wouldn’t say next level lol. Just an arm chair scout lol. I have big hits and misses just like everyone.

I’m not sure how many guys you draft in your dynasty but I’ll Break down a few more.

TE

This was a loaded TE class. Best I’ve ever seen.

Deep Sleeper

Kunitz old dominion. Michigan transfer. I talked him up a bit before draft. Gronk like features. 6’7 250 big fast kid good hands. 7th rd to Jets was a steal imo. I had him much higher and about two months ago I made bold predictions takes 3rd TE drafted. If a deep dynasty I’d consider him for a flyer. Just don’t like the team. Rodgers isn’t a TE guy on the football field. Off the football field is a different story. I’d really like him with a Wilson at QB. Jets have two pedestrians at TE already but his size and speed are a whole other level. He is a good piece for Wilson to use. If he pops off your looking at 3 years from now I’d imagine. Though he could get red zone opps this year.

La Porta is your twitchy tough typical Iowa TE. He has immediate impact ability. Has 65-70 catch ability.

Schoonmaker in Dallas is more in line blocking type.

Washington Pittsburgh is like Kunitz. I’m just unsure how he is used. Absolute freak but a bit stiff imo.

Whylie is in a good place. Big tall kid from Cincinnati who didn’t have a QB last year. Titans are a good fit to see early success.

Rankings Immediate Impact. I can’t project the offense or system 3 years from now but TE is a position takes a lot of time to learn in NFL.

Kincaid- Best QB Best Offense. More your off ball TE Slot guy. Very powerful runner. Kielce like ability in KC

Year 1 42-650-6 type upside
Year 3 70+ 1000-10 type upside

Mayer- Not much competition out the gate. Decent system. Solid typical do it all TE. Nothing great but nothing bad skill set wise. Your typical TE from ND Ertz Eifert Rudolph. More on ball type TE. I’d say more the Kyle Rudolph type guy.

Year 1 35-500-5 type upside
Year 3 50-700-6 type upside

La Porta- Your typical Iowa TE U player. Has 75+ catch ability by year 3. Really works all areas of the field. One of those guys that looks stiff n slow but just always running free. Kind of has that Witten type vibe in Dallas.

Year 1 35-600-5 type upside

Musgrave- Real freak Slot type guy. Has that Geiseki type role niche as a TE playin WR in the slot. Really smooth and fast guy who is athletic. Not sure how he is used in GB. No idea really what they do with him or use him. Or how Love uses TE

Year 1 35-450-5 type upside
Year 3 65-75 -700- 7 type upside
Year 3 (bulked up do it all role) 75+1000-10 type upside

Biggest Sleeper Kunitz
Has legit huge potential but because of Team and variables along with two avg TE on team already next year maybe better spot to draft before he pops off by year 3 if he becomes that player

Safest Kincaid
Should be immediate impact and plays with best QB and team need situation

Conservative La Porta
Year 1 stats could match year 7. Built to be a 50-700-7 at minimum type guy. Should be steady and productive every year no matter what offense really

Unknown Whylie
Titans are good fit but QB and offense moving forward too many unknowns to gauge what or how he is used.

Hybrid Musgrave
Potential to really be more the Big WR slot guy like the Geseki in Miami role. However, if they bulk him up and make him more on line/off line do it all TE. Then legit super star potential do it all guy and stat wise that Darren Waller type player.

Tokens
I wouldn’t say next level lol. Just an arm chair scout lol. I have big hits and misses just like everyone.

I’m not sure how many guys you draft in your dynasty but I’ll Break down a few more.

TE

This was a loaded TE class. Best I’ve ever seen.

Deep Sleeper

Kunitz old dominion. Michigan transfer. I talked him up a bit before draft. Gronk like features. 6’7 250 big fast kid good hands. 7th rd to Jets was a steal imo. I had him much higher and about two months ago I made bold predictions takes 3rd TE drafted. If a deep dynasty I’d consider him for a flyer. Just don’t like the team. Rodgers isn’t a TE guy on the football field. Off the football field is a different story. I’d really like him with a Wilson at QB. Jets have two pedestrians at TE already but his size and speed are a whole other level. He is a good piece for Wilson to use. If he pops off your looking at 3 years from now I’d imagine. Though he could get red zone opps this year.

La Porta is your twitchy tough typical Iowa TE. He has immediate impact ability. Has 65-70 catch ability.

Schoonmaker in Dallas is more in line blocking type.

Washington Pittsburgh is like Kunitz. I’m just unsure how he is used. Absolute freak but a bit stiff imo.

Whylie is in a good place. Big tall kid from Cincinnati who didn’t have a QB last year. Titans are a good fit to see early success.

Rankings Immediate Impact. I can’t project the offense or system 3 years from now but TE is a position takes a lot of time to learn in NFL.

Kincaid- Best QB Best Offense. More your off ball TE Slot guy. Very powerful runner. Kielce like ability in KC

Year 1 42-650-6 type upside

Mayer- Not much competition out the gate. Decent system. Solid typical do it all TE. Nothing great but nothing bad skill set wise. Your typical TE from ND Ertz Eifert Rudolph. More on ball type TE. I’d say more the Kyle Rudolph type guy.

Year 1 35-500-5 type upside
Year 3 50-700-6 type upside

La Porta- Your typical Iowa TE U player. Has 75+ catch ability by year 3. Really works all areas of the field. One of those guys that looks stiff n slow but just always running free. Kind of has that Witten type vibe in Dallas.

Year 1 35-600-5 type upside

Musgrave- Real freak Slot type guy. Has that Geiseki type role niche as a TE playin WR in the slot. Really smooth and fast guy who is athletic. Not sure how he is used in GB. No idea really what they do with him or use him. Or how Love uses TE

Year 1 35-450-5 type upside
Year 3 65-75 -700- 7 type upside
Year 3 (bulked up do it all role) 75+1000-10 type upside

Biggest Sleeper Kunitz
Has legit huge potential but because of Team and variables along with two avg TE on team already next year maybe better spot to draft before he pops off by year 3 if he becomes that player

Safest Kincaid
Should be immediate impact and plays with best QB and team need situation

Conservative La Porta
Year 1 stats could match year 7. Built to be a 50-700-7 at minimum type guy. Should be steady and productive every year no matter what offense really

Unknown Whylie
Titans are good fit but QB and offense moving forward too many unknowns to gauge what or how he is used.

Hybrid Musgrave
Potential to really be more the Big WR slot guy like the Geseki in Miami role. However, if they bulk him up and make him more on line/off line do it all TE. Then legit super star potential do it all guy and stat wise that Darren Waller type player.
You are too modest. This is definitely above the pay grade of your standard ”arm chair scout” …... hell it’s way better than anything a person can find elsewhere (unless a person had access to an entire team of professional scouts).

I have a big need to land a decent TE (but hoping to wait until the second round, so I can snag an RB in the first). So this is pure gold IMHO!

We have 5 rounds each year for our rookie draft and 3 “taxi squad” positions where we can stash guys for a few years …. so my goal is usually to find two new guys for my roster and three for my taxi squad. Some years I just have my 5 picks, other years (due to trades, etc.) I have a more. This year I have and extra pick in the 2nd round.

Our draft tends to be somewhat similar to that of the NFL draft (QBs and DLs going in the first round, with a few red-hot RBs & WRs, perhaps a TE). The rest of my league is made up of football coaches like myself or current and past players that we’ve coached. Very competitive group!

So I thank you once again for all the fabulous insight. You are a gentleman AND a scholar!!

Tokens
Appreciate the interest and kind words. But I’m still just a can of Copenhagen arm chair scout lol. Been doing this since about 1997 and really got into it around 2001. I just love college football tbh. So it’s easy for me to be familiar with all these names.

Not a big fan of the underwear Olympics combine. Measurables are cool but too many times I think people go off them and apply the dreaded word potential. We’ll potential is something you don’t currently have.

I grade players simply off watching games. Good football player is good football player how I see it. It’s hard not having game tapes to key in on small details. So I try and not always follow the ball. That way I just watch the DL or OL few plays.

Not sure your roster or in this situation unlike a real draft where players may go. Or how valuable say a RB is 3down vs Catching back

RB wise you may have a better gauge but where would you forecast these RBs fantasy round 3-5 or 1-2? I’m sure you know enough about the other 3-5 guys in draft.

Johnson Texas
Tucker Syracuse
Brown Illinois
Miller TCU

Tucker baffles me he went undrafted. I had him RD 3-4 grade. I have no idea why he fell out. He is a good RB. Big fast catches. Young also. Has 3 down ability. Probably my biggest shocker to not get drafted. Either I have a good eye or he isn’t as good as I see.

Miller I really like this kid. Like his build and running style. Pretty big back also. Inside outside guy with good speed and catching ability.

Brown is a little tank with speed. Runs inside well for size. Catching and blocks well also. Being a decent blocker is important nfl wise. Believe he went to bengals which is a great fit.

Johnson is the big do it all back style I like. Probably about 6’1 220. Built to hold up and does everything well just not great. He would have been a beast at Texas if no Robinson.

Rankings

Johnson looks more the fit of very productive 4 year career. I say 4 only because you know how they do these guys. So 4 1500 total yards ability and 8-10 TD. Kinda reminds me of Gibson in Washington but better RB vs Gibson more comfortable in pass game. Could hold up like a latavius Murray career which kinda reminds me of but smoother runner and catcher imo.

Miller has more long game in him imo. Could churn out a good 6 year run. Seems bit less likely to take big hits even though he has bit of high run style. Looks like he landed in Saints which funny enough his game has Kamara type vibes. I was pounding the table and mocked Kamara to GB pick 27ish several years ago. I thought it was the perfect fit GB a RB who catches and has speed to change that offense. Looking back RD 1 was right and would been fun to see how he did in GB.

Brown screams immediate high high two year upside. See he landed in bengals land. No idea the mixon deal but he has great traits in that offense to smash next two years. Catching, running, blocking and elite speed he could go off. They loved dumping to Perine and using him not mixon a lot. He can do what perine did plus bell cow if mixon is really doghouse material and cut liability.

Tucker is very similar to Browns comp wise imo. Huge flyer for not drafted. I just don’t get why. Not sure where he went. But a team with no RB or depth he could up n run from day 1. Brown and Tucker I comp very close.

Achnae Texas AM kid ending up in Miami is not a 3 down back but it’s a great fit. He reminds me of kid from Oregon years ago but forgot the name off hand. Fantasy wise catches etc he could pile up WR numbers. Dude is a legit track star. Huge HR hitter. And that SF style offense is a good fit. Tua is a dump n check down king. He has 70+ receptions ability in this offense. He could land a nice 6-8 year career due to elite speed and receiver mold and not taking a beating running. Maybe 5-6 carry games guy but will have a few 10-12 games. But has huge HR ability In carries.

Vaughn Kansas st not the 3 down guy either. May carve out a pop 2 year good career in Dallas lack of RB depth. Fringe 900 yards 8-10 Td. Bowling ball and short as hell. Reminds me of jaquizzz Rodgers in Atlanta but not as fast but more powerful. Not as quick as sprites either. These guys in right situations and opportunities can pop off with 2-3 big years value. Can’t tackle what ya can’t see. Dude is 5’5

Not sure how scoring is.

Achnae in Miami would be on my radar for that WR playing RB late draft. Mosart always gets hurt. Wilson also. So equity in more carries. And offers a decent safe piece to niche out a solid career longevity wise his skill set is hard to find.

Johnson if looking for nice 4 year production type guy could sit inside Top 10 RB couple years.

Brown and Tucker for immediate high risk high reward. Holding that just smash year 1 or 2 year then just become another guy. Buy low sell high stock type guy.

Miller holds all around ability. Like I said shades of Kamara skill set. Better running power wise less the elite receiver. Could hold down a nice steady 5 year career all around very productive back. With 2 year smash ability

Tokens
Not sure how to rank DL guys. DT DE ED Wide 7-9 guys etc. Hard to tell fantasy wise productions. Plus teams play these guys in such hybrid roles now. Like is Van Ness a Watt type 2 3 5 7 type tech guy just everywhere? Hard for me to figure that stuff out especially if Tackle heavy vs sacks.

Maybe I’m a stubborn mule but longevity vs production vs fantasy

Gotta go with my guy Jack Campbell and Hope my shades of Luke Kuechely are just close enough. Guy could rack up all sorts stats. LB I know

Herbrig in Pittsburgh also has flashy stats ability. Tackles and good sack upside. If they kick him more LB not edge

Guys I think are real gems with elite to solid production careers are same names you probably heard me say. Fantasy wise dynasty style I’d be looking at

From a longevity standpoint I’ll pick just 3 I’d personally lean. Fwiw I’m not familiar with your team needs or scoring etc. You would understand value way better than me

WR I’d let the guys go high on the big names and punt on flyers
Mingo
Perry
Mims

RB
Miller
Johnson
Achanae

TE (Kincaid is self explanatory)
La Porta
Musgrave
Kunitz Flyer

Def

LB
Campbell
Sanders
Herbrig

CB
Porter
Brents
Rush

S
Martin
Johnson
Skinner

DL/ED
Van Ness
Murphy
White (guy is just a wrecking ball no idea what he is doing but as a patriot may pop off massive tackles. Reminds me of bigger James Harrison in ways. Very raw player and huge flyer if looking for that.)

Tokens
Appreciate the interest and kind words. But I’m still just a can of Copenhagen arm chair scout lol. Been doing this since about 1997 and really got into it around 2001. I just love college football tbh. So it’s easy for me to be familiar with all these names.

Not a big fan of the underwear Olympics combine. Measurables are cool but too many times I think people go off them and apply the dreaded word potential. We’ll potential is something you don’t currently have.

I grade players simply off watching games. Good football player is good football player how I see it. It’s hard not having game tapes to key in on small details. So I try and not always follow the ball. That way I just watch the DL or OL few plays.

Not sure your roster or in this situation unlike a real draft where players may go. Or how valuable say a RB is 3down vs Catching back

RB wise you may have a better gauge but where would you forecast these RBs fantasy round 3-5 or 1-2? I’m sure you know enough about the other 3-5 guys in draft.

Johnson Texas
Tucker Syracuse
Brown Illinois
Miller TCU

Tucker baffles me he went undrafted. I had him RD 3-4 grade. I have no idea why he fell out. He is a good RB. Big fast catches. Young also. Has 3 down ability. Probably my biggest shocker to not get drafted. Either I have a good eye or he isn’t as good as I see.

Miller I really like this kid. Like his build and running style. Pretty big back also. Inside outside guy with good speed and catching ability.

Brown is a little tank with speed. Runs inside well for size. Catching and blocks well also. Being a decent blocker is important nfl wise. Believe he went to bengals which is a great fit.

Johnson is the big do it all back style I like. Probably about 6’1 220. Built to hold up and does everything well just not great. He would have been a beast at Texas if no Robinson.

Rankings

Johnson looks more the fit of very productive 4 year career. I say 4 only because you know how they do these guys. So 4 1500 total yards ability and 8-10 TD. Kinda reminds me of Gibson in Washington but better RB vs Gibson more comfortable in pass game. Could hold up like a latavius Murray career which kinda reminds me of but smoother runner and catcher imo.

Miller has more long game in him imo. Could churn out a good 6 year run. Seems bit less likely to take big hits even though he has bit of high run style. Looks like he landed in Saints which funny enough his game has Kamara type vibes. I was pounding the table and mocked Kamara to GB pick 27ish several years ago. I thought it was the perfect fit GB a RB who catches and has speed to change that offense. Looking back RD 1 was right and would been fun to see how he did in GB.

Brown screams immediate high high two year upside. See he landed in bengals land. No idea the mixon deal but he has great traits in that offense to smash next two years. Catching, running, blocking and elite speed he could go off. They loved dumping to Perine and using him not mixon a lot. He can do what perine did plus bell cow if mixon is really doghouse material and cut liability.

Tucker is very similar to Browns comp wise imo. Huge flyer for not drafted. I just don’t get why. Not sure where he went. But a team with no RB or depth he could up n run from day 1. Brown and Tucker I comp very close.

Achnae Texas AM kid ending up in Miami is not a 3 down back but it’s a great fit. He reminds me of kid from Oregon years ago but forgot the name off hand. Fantasy wise catches etc he could pile up WR numbers. Dude is a legit track star. Huge HR hitter. And that SF style offense is a good fit. Tua is a dump n check down king. He has 70+ receptions ability in this offense. He could land a nice 6-8 year career due to elite speed and receiver mold and not taking a beating running. Maybe 5-6 carry games guy but will have a few 10-12 games. But has huge HR ability In carries.

Vaughn Kansas st not the 3 down guy either. May carve out a pop 2 year good career in Dallas lack of RB depth. Fringe 900 yards 8-10 Td. Bowling ball and short as hell. Reminds me of jaquizzz Rodgers in Atlanta but not as fast but more powerful. Not as quick as sprites either. These guys in right situations and opportunities can pop off with 2-3 big years value. Can’t tackle what ya can’t see. Dude is 5’5

Not sure how scoring is.

Achnae in Miami would be on my radar for that WR playing RB late draft. Mosart always gets hurt. Wilson also. So equity in more carries. And offers a decent safe piece to niche out a solid career longevity wise his skill set is hard to find.

Johnson if looking for nice 4 year production type guy could sit inside Top 10 RB couple years.

Brown and Tucker for immediate high risk high reward. Holding that just smash year 1 or 2 year then just become another guy. Buy low sell high stock type guy.

Miller holds all around ability. Like I said shades of Kamara skill set. Better running power wise less the elite receiver. Could hold down a nice steady 5 year career all around very productive back. With 2 year smash ability
You pretty much summed up my feelings about the combine. People get way too hyped (or worse yet, make poor decisions) based on it. Good players have good game film. Period. But people act like combine measurements trump game film. Ridiculous.

Your love for the game (college) is most evident. But it’s amazing to me …. it’s like you have watched ALL the games and have somehow managed to store it all in your memory. Plus the fact that it takes a special knowledge and a trained eye to even know how to properly analyze it all. Yeah, everyone THINKS they could be a scout or GM, but it takes a special talent.

I went to high school and played football with John Schneider (SEA GM) and have known a few others in the business. I know a good scouting and analysis when I see it / hear it. And yours is TOP NOTCH.

Tokens
Not sure how to rank DL guys. DT DE ED Wide 7-9 guys etc. Hard to tell fantasy wise productions. Plus teams play these guys in such hybrid roles now. Like is Van Ness a Watt type 2 3 5 7 type tech guy just everywhere? Hard for me to figure that stuff out especially if Tackle heavy vs sacks.

Maybe I’m a stubborn mule but longevity vs production vs fantasy

Gotta go with my guy Jack Campbell and Hope my shades of Luke Kuechely are just close enough. Guy could rack up all sorts stats. LB I know

Herbrig in Pittsburgh also has flashy stats ability. Tackles and good sack upside. If they kick him more LB not edge

Guys I think are real gems with elite to solid production careers are same names you probably heard me say. Fantasy wise dynasty style I’d be looking at

From a longevity standpoint I’ll pick just 3 I’d personally lean. Fwiw I’m not familiar with your team needs or scoring etc. You would understand value way better than me

WR I’d let the guys go high on the big names and punt on flyers
Mingo
Perry
Mims

RB
Miller
Johnson
Achanae

TE (Kincaid is self explanatory)
La Porta
Musgrave
Kunitz Flyer

Def

LB
Campbell
Sanders
Herbrig

CB
Porter
Brents
Rush

S
Martin
Johnson
Skinner

DL/ED
Van Ness
Murphy
White (guy is just a wrecking ball no idea what he is doing but as a patriot may pop off massive tackles. Reminds me of bigger James Harrison in ways. Very raw player and huge flyer if looking for that.)
Awesome stuff! RB wise, I definitely have my eye on Johnson. “Beast” is the truth. I have a feeling I can snag him ….. I have one of the last picks of the 1st round, so I have to wait and see what falls to me.

Twice you mentioned not knowing the details of my league’s scoring system and also about my current roster. Sounds like you might be willing to get down into the weeds with me? If that’s not the case, then ignore the following information:

LEAGUE SCORING (the basics):

PASSING
Yards: 1 pt / 25 yds
TD: 4 pts
INT: -1 pt

RUSH / RECEIVING
Yards: 1 pt / 10 yds
TD: 6 pts
Fumble: -2 pts

DEFENSE
Sack: 2 pts
Solo Tackle: 1 pt
Asst Tackle: 1/2 pt
Tackle for Loss: 2 pts
Forced Fumble: 2 pts
Fumble Recovery: 2 pts
INT: 3 pts
Pass Defended: 1 pt
INT / Fumble Returns: 1 pt / 10 yds

STARTING OFFENSE:
1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 ”Flex” Position (RB-WR-TE) and a PK

STARTING DEFENSE
3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB and 2 “Flex” Positions (DL-LB-DB)

My Defensive Flex Positions are usually LBs, occasionally a DB if I’m down players due to bye weeks or injuries. LBs are usually more consistent in scoring than other positions.

Guys that get the rare LB-DL designation by our ”Sleeper” draft app are usually gold (so that you get the production of a LB but play them as a DL).

For DBs, I usually prefer Safeties of CBs due to their tackling numbers.

Guys get the same points for Special Teams (return yds, FF, FR, tackles, etc) so it’s always a nice bonus to get a WR or DB who also returns kicks or punts.

MY CURRENT ROSTER (plus player points for last year)

QBs
J. Allen (402)
J. Goff (285)

RBs
J. Jacobs (275)
A. Ekeler (265)
R. Stevenson (179)
AJ Dillon (140)

WRs
D. Samuel (110 - missed games / IR)
J. Jeudy (138)
C. Watson (124)
D. Peoples-Jones (128)
D. Mooney (64 - 6 games IR)
N. Hardman (73 - missed 9 games)
R. Doubs (59)

TEs
M. Gesicki (66)
C. Otten (57)

DL
M. Crosby (155)
K. Paye (74 - missed 6 games)
Z. Allen (72)
C. Young (pretty much missed the entire season)
B. Chubb (63)

LB
C. Holcomb (56 - missed 10 games)
E. Jones (108)
Q. Williams (121)
A. Walker (pretty much missed the entire season)
J. Baker (110)
K. White (104)
E. Roberts (116)

DB
G. Delpit (122)
V. Bell (110)
M. Jackson (102)
M. Humphrey (97)
J. Whitehead (96)
K. Moore (72 - missed 4 games)

TAXI SQUAD
QB - J. Love
RB - Z. White (Jacobs handcuff)
TE - J. Ruckert (boy was I wrong about him!)

NOTE: Age (IMO) is very important. I tend to trade guys when they get to be about 28 years old or so. That’s why my cupboard is a bit bare in a couple of positions … I‘ve traded guys like Watt and etc at that age in exchange for younger guys or draft picks.

My biggest need is a quality TE. But because RBs are so scarce (especially if you’re looking for a true workhorse and avoiding RBCs), I have to rank my needs as RB, TE, DL (in that order) and then after that I am open to taking whatever falls to me or is the best value.

This may not be the year for me to take a WR. It’s not a very deep class and I probably have one too many WRs at the moment. Might need another season to figure out / narrow that group down before adding a WR (unless something really juicy falls into my lap).

Tokens
Your love for the game (college) is most evident. But it’s amazing to me …. it’s like you have watched ALL the games and have somehow managed to store it all in your memory. Plus the fact that it takes a special knowledge and a trained eye to even know how to properly analyze it all. Yeah, everyone THINKS they could be a scout or GM, but it takes a special talent.

I went to high school and played football with John Schneider (SEA GM) and have known a few others in the business. I know a good scouting and analysis when I see it / hear it. And yours is TOP NOTCH.
Funny enough Yes, I watch a bunch of games. I love CFB! Who doesn’t like Big Mac Tuesday football? Or the good days of Thursday night football? I watch it all. Like I mentioned, I don’t follow the ball always. I watch just OL or DL few plays. To key in on stuff. They give you players names and size/position/year before each game to help get familiar with. So over time it’s easy to remember them.

And I have a very scary good memory. Like so good it’s an issue in life lol. I can tell you mocking the Raiders during the draft Under Mayock year one I took Allen QB 4. Sweat DE 18ish Metcalf WR 26ish and Winovich ED 36 ish.

I can remember emailing my buddy a few years ago in January. He asked me biggest surprise RD 1 guy coming up in April. Patty Mahomes! My top QB. Wasn’t even on Mayock top 5 list QB. No media so called gurus brought him up. But Favre and Romo vibes mixed in one was who he reminded me of. Sure enough Patty went RD1. But Fitzpatrick is still my best ever QB Nugget. He threw these beautiful 10 yard out balls at the combine. Out or comeback tuff throws man. He was great though. Just a dude they brought in to toss balls. Never forget they said from Harvard. I was sold on him right away. Wish I remembered my old user ID because I’d love to find that Thread I did on him on here.

My buddy though, is a big Panthers fan so he picks my brain all year. Hell I was pounding the table for Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickerson early RD 2 to Carolina. He says we got Matt Paradis Center. Don’t need one.

Explained my man crush on those two and they had guard potential and center down the line if need be. Plus who cares about now if something is better. I still randomly send him the screenshot of that text conversation just to bust his balls. Creed or Dickerson would been great picks super early RD 2 for panthers.

So for instance when I pick 3-4 teams to draft for each year during draft over the 3 days. It’s all off memory and nothing but a can of Copenhagen!

I dust off my notebook and write down my picks live with the draft. You have to remember it’s not a lot of guys. I have maybe 90-100 players tops I consider draft-able. Ranging from Rd 1 to Rd 7 guys. And I can easily get a ballpark feel where guys are going 75% time. So it’s easy to sit back and just off memory draft guys I like. Without needing anything

I’m pretty stubborn! I like certain things. And I don’t think you need evaluations on 500 guys. If I was drafting for say Miami. Just me in a room with a TV, a spit cup, can of Copenhagen. Don’t need a big board or anything. Just someone to tell we want him. I would do okay probably. Later rounds I can off memory dust up a guy if need be not in my 90 draft able. Say RD 6 maybe I want a DE/ED I’d toss out Jose Ramirez. Boom simple enough imo. Good football player E Michigan saw play 3-4 times. Good bowl game vs San Jose st also. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think it’s that complicated to find decent guys.

I imagine like most teams they have traits they like. I prefer guys like

OL I favor Versatility. OT with G ability or G to Center ability. Really don’t give two shits about arm length or stuff. Take Hayes LT Michigan. Guy is good football player. It’s Michigan it’s Big 10 it’s 3 year starter! Can’t play LT? Well guard may be a spot. And ever in a pinch he can go to Tackle. Or a kid I liked a lot Broeker from ole miss. Started LT as freshman and went to guard. Past two years saw good bit of him. Like the player a lot. HOF guy? No, but solid 5-7 year starter ability? Sure imo. At worst decent swing player and depth piece.

I love good Centers! I believe they are undervalued. If I was Seattle or NYG I would have taken Schmitz or Tippman RD 1. I mocked Schmitz to Seattle at 20 or a trade back up to 23ish ahead of NYG get the guy of their choice. Two teams I felt needed one bad. Cards Raiders Texans all teams top of rd 2 could have snagged the other if NYG went one. And all ahead of Seattle. So trade back up rd 1 they had capital or jump at 20 if the board doesn’t have any guys ya love.

The kid from Arkansas Stromberg! Guy has been a hog for 4 years and good player. People slept on mentioning him. Blows my mind he got no love. Definitely a guy I would have gotten rd3-4 if needed a center

WR I favor bigger guys with length. Old school I guess. Guys who can move inside outside I value. These slot midgets are a dime a dozen and products of the QB and system. Can be found anywhere imo. Dell Downs Zay Reed Scott. weren’t on my board. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want them but price has to be right. RD 3-4 okay sure if needing that. I’d jump on them.

Not wasting my time on a Zay Flowers I know is likely day 1. Good football player? Absolutely! But more dependent on scheme and QB. Zay in KC? Probably a beast. Zay in Chicago idk. Gotta scheme him and QB up. So a pass big board player for me. Now if I were focusing on one certain team I’d maybe alter things. But I play the any team scheme and any QB angle.

AT Perry was late rd 2-3 type guy. Went pick 196 I believe. I’d been laughed out a room if Drafting that. I pegged him to go round 4. So depending what teams and draft spot, if I like him as much as I do then I’d maybe have to go way earlier on him than other teams. If I really wanted him. Not a chance in hell no matter what team I am, him being available round 5 I’m pounding the table for him. Need or Not. Guess I’m just a big believer in the kid.

CB Just like WR I favor lengthy guys! I was Smitten with Sauce and Woolen last year and there is a draft thread I was hyping them up on here. Woolen had a draft prop of under like 120. I was all in on that. Porter was my top CB based off size and more press guy. Plus character! I’m big on character. Pitt or Detroit more heavy press guys I’d be all in porter. But more zone teams I can understand passing on him. Again, hard grading guys when you favor certain fits and applying it to any team. Banks Rush Brents more my style guys. These bigger CBs or Safety guys maybe lil slow can be great slot guys. Get em in on the big x slots or TE in slot. Length wise they can disrupt the small slot guys also. Undervalued position imo. Kid Trice from Purdue good example. Maybe not meaty enough to handle the Safety role but looks super quick and lengthy. Good fit to maybe try in a slot role

RB I lean the old school bigger guys. The 6’0 218-224 guys. I want more 3 down guys who pass block we’ll also.

So back to remembering all this, for me it isn’t hard. Freaky memory plus I have certain traits and styles. Just don’t believe 700 guys need to be analyzed.

Want OL? Wisconsin Michigan Iowa Northwestern puts out good guys. ND BC Auburn Oklahoma also. Like why waste my time looking to deep in guys from Arizona or Arizona st? When the last time they put out anything? Let other teams find the gem or waste resources trying to find reasons. Penn state blows my mind on OL. Figure they would be good pipeline. Outside Donovan Smith I cant recall a guy that jumped out ineven have draft able the past 8 years.

Alabama hard pass 9/10 times! OL is overrated imo. Now I was super high on guys like Steen and Dickerson but transfers. Take a bunch of 5 stars they make everyone look better. I swear Bama has had like 5 all American LT and best OL winners since like Andre Smith. They all tend to be a bust or just average per where they get drafted. Not a big fan of hyped guys certain schools loaded with 5 star talent. Toss in Ohio st OL also. Underproduced vs the hype and talent imo. Not sure the last time I had a draft able guy from OSU. Not saying they don’t toss few decent guys out. But off the hype I never see it.

End of the day I am just a simple guy who evaluates in the field play. I have certain traits I favor and things I look for. I don’t have access to game tape to watch like all these pros do. Or medical records or character information. Hell even legit measurables really. I’m passionate about CFB and draft wise guys I like. I’m stubborn also. I have big hits and misses like anyone. But I hold a much much tighter board also. So the misses are not as bad. I can assure you my big board is nowhere near anything else media or probably scout wise. Hell you already know I put Jack Campbell a top 10 player lol.

As I say, do one thing well! Give me a restaurant that serves hot dogs and does that well vs a restaurant that does chicken steak tofu shrimp hot dogs hamburgers! The more you go diving the more work and more over analyzing. As they say K.I.S.S Keep It Simple & Sweet! Best thing I learned in college was the SWOTT, identity Strength Weakness Opportunity Target Threat. Pretty simple philosophy that can be applied to anything.

Few big misses just so ya know I’m no guru lol.

James Castelman form Oklahoma st! I was smitten on that DT as a solid 5th round guy. Man he had a motor and fun to watch. Never sniffed the league lol

Antwan Goodley Baylor! I was dead set he was Anquan Bolden 2.0! Wasn’t close

Bryce Petty QB Baylor! Huge whiff! I usually only have 3 draft able QBs. I’m real picky on QB. Hell Howell was my number 1 last year went RD 5 lol. I was thinking top RD 2 Carolina a tremendous fit. Way off. But Petty was big miss! I learned my lesson! Never trust any position in that Baylor offense. Johnston kid at LB only Baylor guy I put on my board since the Petty era. Ika DT made it this year.

Sorry for the long post! But man I could talk this stuff all day. I got a little carried away lol. Nobody on here really cares about the draft or all this deep dive philosophy stuff. So I couldn’t help but fire away talking this stuff.

Tokens
Awesome stuff! RB wise, I definitely have my eye on Johnson. “Beast” is the truth. I have a feeling I can snag him ….. I have one of the last picks of the 1st round, so I have to wait and see what falls to me.

Twice you mentioned not knowing the details of my league’s scoring system and also about my current roster. Sounds like you might be willing to get down into the weeds with me? If that’s not the case, then ignore the following information:

LEAGUE SCORING (the basics):

PASSING
Yards: 1 pt / 25 yds
TD: 4 pts
INT: -1 pt

RUSH / RECEIVING
Yards: 1 pt / 10 yds
TD: 6 pts
Fumble: -2 pts

DEFENSE
Sack: 2 pts
Solo Tackle: 1 pt
Asst Tackle: 1/2 pt
Tackle for Loss: 2 pts
Forced Fumble: 2 pts
Fumble Recovery: 2 pts
INT: 3 pts
Pass Defended: 1 pt
INT / Fumble Returns: 1 pt / 10 yds

STARTING OFFENSE:
1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 ”Flex” Position (RB-WR-TE) and a PK

STARTING DEFENSE
3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB and 2 “Flex” Positions (DL-LB-DB)

My Defensive Flex Positions are usually LBs, occasionally a DB if I’m down players due to bye weeks or injuries. LBs are usually more consistent in scoring than other positions.

Guys that get the rare LB-DL designation by our ”Sleeper” draft app are usually gold (so that you get the production of a LB but play them as a DL).

For DBs, I usually prefer Safeties of CBs due to their tackling numbers.

Guys get the same points for Special Teams (return yds, FF, FR, tackles, etc) so it’s always a nice bonus to get a WR or DB who also returns kicks or punts.

MY CURRENT ROSTER (plus player points for last year)

QBs
J. Allen (402)
J. Goff (285)

RBs
J. Jacobs (275)
A. Ekeler (265)
R. Stevenson (179)
AJ Dillon (140)

WRs
D. Samuel (110 - missed games / IR)
J. Jeudy (138)
C. Watson (124)
D. Peoples-Jones (128)
D. Mooney (64 - 6 games IR)
N. Hardman (73 - missed 9 games)
R. Doubs (59)

TEs
M. Gesicki (66)
C. Otten (57)

DL
M. Crosby (155)
K. Paye (74 - missed 6 games)
Z. Allen (72)
C. Young (pretty much missed the entire season)
B. Chubb (63)

LB
C. Holcomb (56 - missed 10 games)
E. Jones (108)
Q. Williams (121)
A. Walker (pretty much missed the entire season)
J. Baker (110)
K. White (104)
E. Roberts (116)

DB
G. Delpit (122)
V. Bell (110)
M. Jackson (102)
M. Humphrey (97)
J. Whitehead (96)
K. Moore (72 - missed 4 games)

TAXI SQUAD
QB - J. Love
RB - Z. White (Jacobs handcuff)
TE - J. Ruckert (boy was I wrong about him!)

NOTE: Age (IMO) is very important. I tend to trade guys when they get to be about 28 years old or so. That’s why my cupboard is a bit bare in a couple of positions … I‘ve traded guys like Watt and etc at that age in exchange for younger guys or draft picks.

My biggest need is a quality TE. But because RBs are so scarce (especially if you’re looking for a true workhorse and avoiding RBCs), I have to rank my needs as RB, TE, DL (in that order) and then after that I am open to taking whatever falls to me or is the best value.

This may not be the year for me to take a WR. It’s not a very deep class and I probably have one too many WRs at the moment. Might need another season to figure out / narrow that group down before adding a WR (unless something really juicy falls into my lap).
Like the scoring! Reminds me of the simple days back when I started fantasy. Pre internet lol. Around 1994 I started. The Monday USA Today paper was gold. Box scores to add your points up. Like the KR PR points also. Holy shit Derrick Mason for the Titans was a cheat code one year. Stacking WR points and Return points.

TE you say is a need. Having Kincaid and La Porta can pair with both QBs. Nice option. I’m a fan of stacking though some aren’t.

RB I would almost be willing to deal Jacobs if me. Stock is at the ceiling. Off heavy work load and wants new contract. McClown loves the run game. However, he likes to platoon. Ex Pat Bolden lmao spent like 9!years as Gunner in New England and he signs him last year. Jacobs cuffed with White is a good option though.

I’d definitely be interested in Miller or Johnson as they fit RB 3 down ability in good fits team wise. Also kinda fit that 4 year window explosion meter before next contract and wear and tear sits in if they get big run. I’d imagine one or both are gone if a 12 team league. Being I’d imagine RB is the priority for most. Rob Gibby Chardonnay (Maybe) Top 3 off board. You may have savvy guys in your league though.

DL is tuff. I can’t find anyone I’d be chomping the bits for. Carter is interesting down the road. Davis eats up blocks. Beside him with Cox probably last year, Carter could go off long term. Good tackle and sack equity. Personally I’m not high on him like the entire world. But he landed in the perfect spot.

Wilson I just can’t trust big 12 guys on defense that go round 1. Plus he screams constantly injured. Idk just The vibes

Van Ness I think has huge upside and on a team he will fit in nice with. He has the size and frame to be so versatile imo. Can win sacks inside and outside. Maybe more a project like a young stock you hold and pays off big time years 3-6 his prime.

Looks like a good DE guy can be pivotal points wise. Compared to Safety and WR off a Elite vs Good metric over the positions. I just don’t see a ton of value DL wise this draft from a fantasy point if looking for nuggets.

You obviously know the guys and draft strategy better then I ever would. And value etc Plus access to free agents to gauge better moves.

Picking last is it a snake Draft? Or standard?

How many teams in league?

And what’s your forecast you think guys go first 10 picks? AR and Young... Gibby and BJ.... Anderson Carter... Seems about like 6 guys from upside wise land in RD 1 . Maybe Johnson WR because of Herbert and fit RD 1 if WR needy team. List off few guys you feel comfortable will be taken. Help give me better idea how you guys value player/position/points

Tokens
Funny enough Yes, I watch a bunch of games. I love CFB! Who doesn’t like Big Mac Tuesday football? Or the good days of Thursday night football? I watch it all. Like I mentioned, I don’t follow the ball always. I watch just OL or DL few plays. To key in on stuff. They give you players names and size/position/year before each game to help get familiar with. So over time it’s easy to remember them.

And I have a very scary good memory. Like so good it’s an issue in life lol. I can tell you mocking the Raiders during the draft Under Mayock year one I took Allen QB 4. Sweat DE 18ish Metcalf WR 26ish and Winovich ED 36 ish.

I can remember emailing my buddy a few years ago in January. He asked me biggest surprise RD 1 guy coming up in April. Patty Mahomes! My top QB. Wasn’t even on Mayock top 5 list QB. No media so called gurus brought him up. But Favre and Romo vibes mixed in one was who he reminded me of. Sure enough Patty went RD1. But Fitzpatrick is still my best ever QB Nugget. He threw these beautiful 10 yard out balls at the combine. Out or comeback tuff throws man. He was great though. Just a dude they brought in to toss balls. Never forget they said from Harvard. I was sold on him right away. Wish I remembered my old user ID because I’d love to find that Thread I did on him on here.

My buddy though, is a big Panthers fan so he picks my brain all year. Hell I was pounding the table for Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickerson early RD 2 to Carolina. He says we got Matt Paradis Center. Don’t need one.

Explained my man crush on those two and they had guard potential and center down the line if need be. Plus who cares about now if something is better. I still randomly send him the screenshot of that text conversation just to bust his balls. Creed or Dickerson would been great picks super early RD 2 for panthers.

So for instance when I pick 3-4 teams to draft for each year during draft over the 3 days. It’s all off memory and nothing but a can of Copenhagen!

I dust off my notebook and write down my picks live with the draft. You have to remember it’s not a lot of guys. I have maybe 90-100 players tops I consider draft-able. Ranging from Rd 1 to Rd 7 guys. And I can easily get a ballpark feel where guys are going 75% time. So it’s easy to sit back and just off memory draft guys I like. Without needing anything

I’m pretty stubborn! I like certain things. And I don’t think you need evaluations on 500 guys. If I was drafting for say Miami. Just me in a room with a TV, a spit cup, can of Copenhagen. Don’t need a big board or anything. Just someone to tell we want him. I would do okay probably. Later rounds I can off memory dust up a guy if need be not in my 90 draft able. Say RD 6 maybe I want a DE/ED I’d toss out Jose Ramirez. Boom simple enough imo. Good football player E Michigan saw play 3-4 times. Good bowl game vs San Jose st also. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think it’s that complicated to find decent guys.

I imagine like most teams they have traits they like. I prefer guys like

OL I favor Versatility. OT with G ability or G to Center ability. Really don’t give two shits about arm length or stuff. Take Hayes LT Michigan. Guy is good football player. It’s Michigan it’s Big 10 it’s 3 year starter! Can’t play LT? Well guard may be a spot. And ever in a pinch he can go to Tackle. Or a kid I liked a lot Broeker from ole miss. Started LT as freshman and went to guard. Past two years saw good bit of him. Like the player a lot. HOF guy? No, but solid 5-7 year starter ability? Sure imo. At worst decent swing player and depth piece.

I love good Centers! I believe they are undervalued. If I was Seattle or NYG I would have taken Schmitz or Tippman RD 1. I mocked Schmitz to Seattle at 20 or a trade back up to 23ish ahead of NYG get the guy of their choice. Two teams I felt needed one bad. Cards Raiders Texans all teams top of rd 2 could have snagged the other if NYG went one. And all ahead of Seattle. So trade back up rd 1 they had capital or jump at 20 if the board doesn’t have any guys ya love.

The kid from Arkansas Stromberg! Guy has been a hog for 4 years and good player. People slept on mentioning him. Blows my mind he got no love. Definitely a guy I would have gotten rd3-4 if needed a center

WR I favor bigger guys with length. Old school I guess. Guys who can move inside outside I value. These slot midgets are a dime a dozen and products of the QB and system. Can be found anywhere imo. Dell Downs Zay Reed Scott. weren’t on my board. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want them but price has to be right. RD 3-4 okay sure if needing that. I’d jump on them.

Not wasting my time on a Zay Flowers I know is likely day 1. Good football player? Absolutely! But more dependent on scheme and QB. Zay in KC? Probably a beast. Zay in Chicago idk. Gotta scheme him and QB up. So a pass big board player for me. Now if I were focusing on one certain team I’d maybe alter things. But I play the any team scheme and any QB angle.

AT Perry was late rd 2-3 type guy. Went pick 196 I believe. I’d been laughed out a room if Drafting that. I pegged him to go round 4. So depending what teams and draft spot, if I like him as much as I do then I’d maybe have to go way earlier on him than other teams. If I really wanted him. Not a chance in hell no matter what team I am, him being available round 5 I’m pounding the table for him. Need or Not. Guess I’m just a big believer in the kid.

CB Just like WR I favor lengthy guys! I was Smitten with Sauce and Woolen last year and there is a draft thread I was hyping them up on here. Woolen had a draft prop of under like 120. I was all in on that. Porter was my top CB based off size and more press guy. Plus character! I’m big on character. Pitt or Detroit more heavy press guys I’d be all in porter. But more zone teams I can understand passing on him. Again, hard grading guys when you favor certain fits and applying it to any team. Banks Rush Brents more my style guys. These bigger CBs or Safety guys maybe lil slow can be great slot guys. Get em in on the big x slots or TE in slot. Length wise they can disrupt the small slot guys also. Undervalued position imo. Kid Trice from Purdue good example. Maybe not meaty enough to handle the Safety role but looks super quick and lengthy. Good fit to maybe try in a slot role

RB I lean the old school bigger guys. The 6’0 218-224 guys. I want more 3 down guys who pass block we’ll also.

So back to remembering all this, for me it isn’t hard. Freaky memory plus I have certain traits and styles. Just don’t believe 700 guys need to be analyzed.

Want OL? Wisconsin Michigan Iowa Northwestern puts out good guys. ND BC Auburn Oklahoma also. Like why waste my time looking to deep in guys from Arizona or Arizona st? When the last time they put out anything? Let other teams find the gem or waste resources trying to find reasons. Penn state blows my mind on OL. Figure they would be good pipeline. Outside Donovan Smith I cant recall a guy that jumped out ineven have draft able the past 8 years.

Alabama hard pass 9/10 times! OL is overrated imo. Now I was super high on guys like Steen and Dickerson but transfers. Take a bunch of 5 stars they make everyone look better. I swear Bama has had like 5 all American LT and best OL winners since like Andre Smith. They all tend to be a bust or just average per where they get drafted. Not a big fan of hyped guys certain schools loaded with 5 star talent. Toss in Ohio st OL also. Underproduced vs the hype and talent imo. Not sure the last time I had a draft able guy from OSU. Not saying they don’t toss few decent guys out. But off the hype I never see it.

End of the day I am just a simple guy who evaluates in the field play. I have certain traits I favor and things I look for. I don’t have access to game tape to watch like all these pros do. Or medical records or character information. Hell even legit measurables really. I’m passionate about CFB and draft wise guys I like. I’m stubborn also. I have big hits and misses like anyone. But I hold a much much tighter board also. So the misses are not as bad. I can assure you my big board is nowhere near anything else media or probably scout wise. Hell you already know I put Jack Campbell a top 10 player lol.

As I say, do one thing well! Give me a restaurant that serves hot dogs and does that well vs a restaurant that does chicken steak tofu shrimp hot dogs hamburgers! The more you go diving the more work and more over analyzing. As they say K.I.S.S Keep It Simple & Sweet! Best thing I learned in college was the SWOTT, identity Strength Weakness Opportunity Target Threat. Pretty simple philosophy that can be applied to anything.

Few big misses just so ya know I’m no guru lol.

James Castelman form Oklahoma st! I was smitten on that DT as a solid 5th round guy. Man he had a motor and fun to watch. Never sniffed the league lol

Antwan Goodley Baylor! I was dead set he was Anquan Bolden 2.0! Wasn’t close

Bryce Petty QB Baylor! Huge whiff! I usually only have 3 draft able QBs. I’m real picky on QB. Hell Howell was my number 1 last year went RD 5 lol. I was thinking top RD 2 Carolina a tremendous fit. Way off. But Petty was big miss! I learned my lesson! Never trust any position in that Baylor offense. Johnston kid at LB only Baylor guy I put on my board since the Petty era. Ika DT made it this year.

Sorry for the long post! But man I could talk this stuff all day. I got a little carried away lol. Nobody on here really cares about the draft or all this deep dive philosophy stuff. So I couldn’t help but fire away talking this stuff.
No apologies necessary. It is so obvious that you love, love, LOVE the game. It’s kind of like when a person gets lucky enough to make a hobby or a passion into a job …. they act as if it it’s not even work because their love and joy are real.

So I am definitely taking advantage of your willingness and eagerness by soaking it all up and taking copious amounts of notes! Thank you!

Tokens
Like the scoring! Reminds me of the simple days back when I started fantasy. Pre internet lol. Around 1994 I started. The Monday USA Today paper was gold. Box scores to add your points up. Like the KR PR points also. Holy shit Derrick Mason for the Titans was a cheat code one year. Stacking WR points and Return points.

TE you say is a need. Having Kincaid and La Porta can pair with both QBs. Nice option. I’m a fan of stacking though some aren’t.

RB I would almost be willing to deal Jacobs if me. Stock is at the ceiling. Off heavy work load and wants new contract. McClown loves the run game. However, he likes to platoon. Ex Pat Bolden lmao spent like 9!years as Gunner in New England and he signs him last year. Jacobs cuffed with White is a good option though.

I’d definitely be interested in Miller or Johnson as they fit RB 3 down ability in good fits team wise. Also kinda fit that 4 year window explosion meter before next contract and wear and tear sits in if they get big run. I’d imagine one or both are gone if a 12 team league. Being I’d imagine RB is the priority for most. Rob Gibby Chardonnay (Maybe) Top 3 off board. You may have savvy guys in your league though.

DL is tuff. I can’t find anyone I’d be chomping the bits for. Carter is interesting down the road. Davis eats up blocks. Beside him with Cox probably last year, Carter could go off long term. Good tackle and sack equity. Personally I’m not high on him like the entire world. But he landed in the perfect spot.

Wilson I just can’t trust big 12 guys on defense that go round 1. Plus he screams constantly injured. Idk just The vibes

Van Ness I think has huge upside and on a team he will fit in nice with. He has the size and frame to be so versatile imo. Can win sacks inside and outside. Maybe more a project like a young stock you hold and pays off big time years 3-6 his prime.

Looks like a good DE guy can be pivotal points wise. Compared to Safety and WR off a Elite vs Good metric over the positions. I just don’t see a ton of value DL wise this draft from a fantasy point if looking for nuggets.

You obviously know the guys and draft strategy better then I ever would. And value etc Plus access to free agents to gauge better moves.

Picking last is it a snake Draft? Or standard?

How many teams in league?

And what’s your forecast you think guys go first 10 picks? AR and Young... Gibby and BJ.... Anderson Carter... Seems about like 6 guys from upside wise land in RD 1 . Maybe Johnson WR because of Herbert and fit RD 1 if WR needy team. List off few guys you feel comfortable will be taken. Help give me better idea how you guys value player/position/points
We have 14 teams and use a “standard” draft (not snake). So if you win the SB, you will have the last pick in each round of the 5 round draft.

Our “Sleeper” app for the league is awesome. It keeps track and lists each draft that we’ve had. I went back and looked at each draft and there’s definitely a strong trend that prevails: Offensive guys dominate the 1st round and then it goes about 50/50 between offensive and defensive players in rounds 2 and 3. Rounds 4-5 are really hit or miss.

Here are the actual positions that we drafted last season and the season before that in rounds 1-3:

2022 1st Round: 7-WRs, 5-RBs, 1-QB & 1-DB
2022 2nd Round: 4-RBs, 4-WRs, 2-DLs, 2-LBs, 1-QB & 1-TE
2022 3rd Round: 4-LBs, 3-DBs, 2-DLs, 2-TEs, 1-QB, 1-WR & 1-RB

2021 1st Round: 4-QBs, 4-RBs, 4-WRs, 1-TE & 1-LB
2021 2nd Round: 3-WRs, 3-LBs, 3-DBs, 2-RBs, 1-QB, 1-TE & 1-DL
2021 3rd Round: 3-RBs, 3-WRs, 3-DBs, 2-LBs, 2-DL & 1-QB

Clearly, a case can be made about selecting a defensive player in the 1st round (a “zig when they zag” method to obtain value). Unless of course you can get that RB, TE or whatever you really, really need.

RBs and TEs are worth their weight in gold (since there’s so few non-RBC RBs and so few big time studs at TE as a whole). So if you have a top 5 pick or if one slides to you before pick 10, you kinda gotta go with it.

But, for a guy who is outside of the top 5 and who doesn’t have a gem fall to them, a case can easily be made to try and look for value on the defensive side of the ball. But that is also the most difficult side of the ball to judge in terms of production (IMHO).

Tokens
PS - As long as we’re taking overall strategy into mix, after this upcoming season, I have 2 (two!!) 1st round picks in the 2024 draft. Just spitballing here and adding 1 + 1 …. but if we happen to know that next year’s rookie class will be flush with a certain position, then perhaps it’s wise for me to view this a 2-year drafting plan?

So if my biggest needs are TE, then RB & DL ….. and if we happen to know that next year’s rookie class will have depth at any one of those 3 positions, then I could target the other two this season.

Like taking a TE in Round 1? Picking 12th out of 14, I’m unlikely to get the RB I want, but almost guaranteed to get a decent TE or DL, and then with two picks in the 2nd Round from a prior trade (8th and 14th), I double-down and do the same (selecting two TEs and a DL or two DLs and a TE in the 2 Rounds combined). And then with 2 first Rounders next year, I would have two shots at a RB (if we think the top RBs will be strong in 2024).

Just a random thought.

Tokens
Looking back over the team. A lot to try and process lol

I love the standard draft! Makes it way more challenging strategy wise. Usually I can come up with a what I would do quick. But man I’m stumped lol. So many angles to play.

QB
Allen
Goff
Love

Bringing 3 good TE value to pair up. Kincaid Porta Musgrave

GB has good weapons and you already have Watson Doubs Dillon. Musgrave fits nice and is more that off line TE occupying the Slot. Good weapon for Love. From a long game stand point and a balanced accumulation of points. Next 3 years if Love holds it down, Musgrave Doubs Watson could all feast. I do believe the offense has underrated firepower and from a long game stand point that’s a good build. Musgrave has upside of 70+ catch years.

Buf and Allen a locked in for years to come and Kincaid will be locked in also. He offers the immediate impact and long game roster spot. Buffalo must have really liked him to move up a bit. He is still raw. But he can grow quick. Believe I saw during the ISC game he never played football till senior year HS and went the fuck off. He was a really good basketball player. Hoopers always translates well into that NFL TE.

Det and Goff seem to be going all in on Goff and extension. Porta aka Witten in Dallas will probably be your typical Iowa TE. If used right which I don’t know Detroit plans. They aren’t huge TE shares but OC probably grabs HC Job next year. Either way Porta has that always open somehow game. Screams 6-7 catches 70 yards every damn week.

Defense it seems LB/S/DE are the points position.

With the flex option it almost seems like stacking LB S is the way to go. CB seems hard to gauge points wise. Not sure I’d even have a CB. The DL seems solid on your team.

I wouldn’t really know how to draft secondary or even worth it. Not sure if a Martin or Johnson have draft able value only 5 rounds. Both have CB experience adding value to being on the field every play. Can slide em in the slot. Battle in Cincinnati lands in a good system. Probably starts off the rip. That drop 8 cover scheme is pretty friendly

LB I’d be jumping the gun on Campbell off pure tackles upside. And Sanders in Denver offers bit different skill set but more upside in coverage and sacks for points. He probably won’t get his feet locked into huge snaps year 1 though. Interesting piece for Denver depending how the utilize him. And Herbrig in Pittsburgh you already know my opinion. Perfect fit. Less tackle upside than Campbell but more pressure ability than sanders.

Tokens
No apologies necessary. It is so obvious that you love, love, LOVE the game. It’s kind of like when a person gets lucky enough to make a hobby or a passion into a job …. they act as if it it’s not even work because their love and joy are real.

So I am definitely taking advantage of your willingness and eagerness by soaking it all up and taking copious amounts of notes! Thank you!
How effective is stacking? Example you have good GB exposure and youth?

What is Will Anderson? DL or LB?

Next year a few studs....
Harrison WR
Powers TE
Drake QB
Sanders RB

Kid Ohio st DE forget the name
Williams QB (just not sold on)
Eichenberg LB Ohio st
Trice ED Washington

Clemson has a few good D guys! Trotted LB a solid guy.

Next year will be
QB heavy
CB/S heavy
OL heavy

Weak WR RB TE the skill positions.

Being around pick 12 and 24 seems like TE is the play this year. I’d probably want Kincaid with Allen if not hope Musgrave rd 2 which is possible I’d imagine. If you think team stacking is valuable and beneficial.

Mecole Hardmen I’d dump but I guess returns yards brings value. Achenae RB Miami I’d be al over if I knew he would return also with that speed.

Nobody is taking AT Perry so maybe my last pick stash guy for a flyer. I’d consider.

Two RD 1 next year I’d be looking Harrison and Powers get one both if lucky. (Houston Texans should have traded 2 and went all defensive early this year. Taken 3rd 1 picks into next year and target Drake and Harrison and Powers) sell the entire draft for those 3 guys.

If i felt I could get a Kincaid with Miller or Johnson rd 2 I’d go that route

If not I’ll be honest and maybe gamble on defense first two picks. Team you have look pretty young and Deep tbh. DL QB looks good. WR decent shape especially if Love production is good. Only bad part is LBs can be found easy for production. And same with secondary. Average dudes bad teams can rack up points. Out average LB on teams with good DL he will mop up tackles.

So I’m weighing the benefits scoring wise of say a DT with big tackle and decent sack upside like Carter. Or Van Ness long game value

Just talking out loud. You have better understanding value or angles to play

Tokens
Looking back over the team. A lot to try and process lol

I love the standard draft! Makes it way more challenging strategy wise. Usually I can come up with a what I would do quick. But man I’m stumped lol. So many angles to play.

QB
Allen
Goff
Love

Bringing 3 good TE value to pair up. Kincaid Porta Musgrave

GB has good weapons and you already have Watson Doubs Dillon. Musgrave fits nice and is more that off line TE occupying the Slot. Good weapon for Love. From a long game stand point and a balanced accumulation of points. Next 3 years if Love holds it down, Musgrave Doubs Watson could all feast. I do believe the offense has underrated firepower and from a long game stand point that’s a good build. Musgrave has upside of 70+ catch years.

Buf and Allen a locked in for years to come and Kincaid will be locked in also. He offers the immediate impact and long game roster spot. Buffalo must have really liked him to move up a bit. He is still raw. But he can grow quick. Believe I saw during the ISC game he never played football till senior year HS and went the fuck off. He was a really good basketball player. Hoopers always translates well into that NFL TE.

Det and Goff seem to be going all in on Goff and extension. Porta aka Witten in Dallas will probably be your typical Iowa TE. If used right which I don’t know Detroit plans. They aren’t huge TE shares but OC probably grabs HC Job next year. Either way Porta has that always open somehow game. Screams 6-7 catches 70 yards every damn week.

Defense it seems LB/S/DE are the points position.

With the flex option it almost seems like stacking LB S is the way to go. CB seems hard to gauge points wise. Not sure I’d even have a CB. The DL seems solid on your team.

I wouldn’t really know how to draft secondary or even worth it. Not sure if a Martin or Johnson have draft able value only 5 rounds. Both have CB experience adding value to being on the field every play. Can slide em in the slot. Battle in Cincinnati lands in a good system. Probably starts off the rip. That drop 8 cover scheme is pretty friendly

LB I’d be jumping the gun on Campbell off pure tackles upside. And Sanders in Denver offers bit different skill set but more upside in coverage and sacks for points. He probably won’t get his feet locked into huge snaps year 1 though. Interesting piece for Denver depending how the utilize him. And Herbrig in Pittsburgh you already know my opinion. Perfect fit. Less tackle upside than Campbell but more pressure ability than sanders.
LOL - You already have an excellent grasp at the big picture (“Defense it seems LB/S/DE are the points positions” and “With the flex option it almost seems like starting LB S is the way to go.”) Both of those echo my exact same conclusions about what to do and how to approach it. Granted, we both could be wrong, but I highly doubt it.

In regard to, “I wouldn’t really know how to draft secondary or even worth it“ …. a couple of thoughts. Initially I felt the same way. It seemed like a fruitless endeavor. So I avoided drafting them and watched and waited to find good tackling S’s via the waiver wire. The only one I ever drafted was Delpit, but that was an easy pick IMO.

I think it’s mainly about looking for the S that has run responsibility (avoiding the baseball-like center fielders) or the occasional CB that actually plays in a system that makes them responsible for edge run gaps and weak side blitzes (Tampa 2, man to man, etc. if I’m thinking clearly).

LB: Love the Campbell recommendation!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb52197
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com