Find the Right US Sportsbook for You
If you’re wondering whether betting on sports online is legal in your state, you’ve come to the right place. On this page you’ll find accurate and up to date information about the latest developments in US sports betting laws and regulations, state by state. When it comes to legal online sports betting in the USA, things are changing fast. That’s because the US Supreme Court made a landmark decision to lift the federal ban on sports betting, paving the way for each state the authority to regulate its own sports gambling markets and laws.
No data found
Top Online Sportsbooks in The US
Welcome to our in-depth guide to the top online sportsbooks in the United States. www.therx.com team conducted extensive reviews of every licensed, regulated sportsbook in the country before arriving at this list.
Online bettors will discover the best online betting sites and mobile apps in each state. We will highlight each sportsbook’s pros and cons, allowing you to determine which one would work best for your needs. Sports bettors will also learn more about the wide range of generous bonuses on offer at each of the top online sportsbooks in the US, along with our top tips for choosing the best online sports betting site.
Best Sportsbooks for US Players
Now that legal sports betting is rolling out across the United States, there are a wide range of licensed sportsbooks operating locally. However, there is a large difference between the betting experience provided by the top sportsbooks and the rest of the online sports betting platforms. We have highlighted the 10 online betting sites that earned the highest overall scores during our detailed sportsbook reviews based on their user interface, range of markets and payment options, among other factors:
- Caesars – Best sportsbook for large promos and odds boosts
- BetMGM – Best online sportsbook for live streaming
- BetRivers – Quickest payouts for US sports bettors
- Betway – Impressive online sportsbook with lots of props
- Bet365 – Best online sportsbook for in-game betting
- Unibet – Most trusted online sports betting brand
- WynnBET – Leading sportsbook for bonus bets
- DRF Sportsbook – Most exciting new online sportsbook
- Sports Illustrated Sportsbook – Great bonuses and odds for sports bettors
What is the best sportsbook?
Caesars, BetMGM, BetRivers and Betway earned the highest scores during our review process. However, the best sportsbook depends on your personal circumstances. We have provided reviews of each online sportsbook below to help you make your decision. You can then read our “Tips For Choosing The Best Sportsbook” section for more advice on determining what sports betting services suit your needs.
Caesars Sportsbook is the best option for anyone seeking high betting limits, large bonuses, loads of odds boosts and a user-friendly interface. The country’s largest casino business, Caesars Entertainment, launched this online sportsbook in 2021 after completing a takeover of British bookmaker William Hill. The existing William Hill US app was rebranded as Caesars Sportsbook, and it has gone from strength to strength since then.
The parent company has been investing very heavily in bonuses and sportsbook promotions to rival leading operators such as BetMGM. The welcome bonus provides a second chance bonus bet up to $1,250, 1,000 Reward Credits and 1,000 Tier Credits. Click “Claim Deal” to redeem this offer today. You can browse hundreds of enhanced odds markets each week, and there are various promotions, loyalty rewards and contests too.
The app and the website still run on the William Hill software, but there have been some upgrades, including the addition of a same-game parlay builder. It is our top choice for any high rollers, as the Caesars gambling loyalty program has a great VIP tier, and this sportsbook accepts multi-million-dollar bets on big events.
- • Best sportsbook for large betting limits
- • Top sign-up bonus for US sports bettors
- • More bet boosts than any other sportsbook
- • Offers a simple browsing experience
- • Larger minimum deposit than other sportsbooks
- • Does not have a live-streaming option
BetMGM is an elite online sportsbook that offers a large welcome bonus, a great loyalty program, a fantastic user experience and lots of generous bet boosts. It is a joint venture between casino giant MGM Resorts International and London-listed company Entain.
BetMGM launched in New Jersey in 2018 before spreading across the country. The brand is renowned for its slick marketing campaigns, led by Hollywood star Jamie Foxx. It is one of the top three sports betting operators in the US, and it also runs a popular online casino, poker room and racebook in some states.
The features on offer at BetMGM include live NBA and MLB streaming, which no other sportsbook provides. BetMGM offers more banking options than any other sportsbook, and it is also a great choice if you are interested in browsing a large range of prop bets. Customer service is available 24/7, and payouts are reliable and secure.
- • Best online sportsbook for live streaming
- • High-class software with lots of wagering options
- • Part of the MGM Rewards loyalty program
- • Largest choice of banking options in the US
- • Other apps are faster and easier to use
- • Caesars offers a larger sign-up bonus
BetRivers offers a strong selection of bonuses, a sophisticated wagering platform and industry-leading payout speeds. The brand takes its name from Rivers Casino, which has resorts in Illinois, New York and Pennsylvania. It launched in 2019, and it is now one of the country’s largest sportsbooks, available in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. There is also a sister site in Connecticut called PlaySugarHouse.
This sportsbook offers new customers a second chance bonus sports bet worth up to $500. It is just like the Caesars sign-up bonus – if your first bet loses, you get the money back as a bonus bet, and it has a 1x rollover. This replaced the previous deposit match bonus at BetRivers. It also offers a wide variety of weekly bet and get offers, profit boosts and odds boosts. There is a loyalty program too, called iRush Rewards. One of the best features is RushPay, an automatic withdrawal system that gives BetRivers the quickest withdrawal speeds in the US.
- • Second chance bonus bet of up to $500
- • Industry-leading payout speeds
- • Profit boosts, odds boosts and bonus wagers each week
- • Hundreds of prop bets on games
- • Smaller sign-up bonus than BetMGM and Caesars
- • Loyalty program is not linked to land-based casinos
Betway is a large online sports betting brand owned by the NYSE-listed Super Group. It runs on a white-label sportsbook platform from SBTech, which offers lots of betting options, including alternate lines, props and a strong selection of pre-built same-game parlays. The site is stylish and easy to browse, and the mobile app is powerful and reliable. Payouts arrive on time, without any issues, and this brand has a strong reputation among bettors.
Betway’s welcome bonus is a second chance bet worth up to $250 for any new customers. If you like odds boosts, Betway is a great option. There are various parlay bonuses and other promos available too. It is available in Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Indiana, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia, with a wider rollout planned.
- • Reputable, trusted online sports betting brand
- • Very stylish website and mobile sports betting app
- • Loads of betting options on more than 20 sports
- • Bonus bet for all new users
- • Smallest sign-up bonus out of our top five online sportsbooks
- • Not available in as many states as the leading sportsbooks
Is online sports betting legal?
Online sports betting is available in more than 30 states, plus the District of Columbia. Prior to 2018, the only state with a legal sports betting industry. The Silver State was exempt from a federal sports wagering ban called PASPA.
The Supreme Court decided to overturn that ban in May 2018, following a successful legal campaign from New Jersey. Each state now has the power to determine its own local sports betting laws. Many now permit online sports betting. Some have a variety of sports betting sites, whereas others only permit 1-3 online sportsbooks.
Certain states will only allow retail sportsbook venues, with inline sports betting prohibited. You may find restrictions on college sports betting too. Some states ban wagering on local teams, and others prohibit props on college football and basketball.
States With Legal Sports Betting
Online sports betting is legal in various states. There are lottery-controlled monopoly markets in Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon and Rhode Island, while a couple of local online sportsbooks have sprung up in Arkansas.
However, these are the main states with large, competitive markets featuring the major brands listed on this page:
- • Arizona
- • Colorado
- • Connecticut
- • Illinois
- • Indiana
- • Iowa
- • Kansas
- • Louisiana
- • Maryland
- • Massachusetts
- • Michigan
- • Nevada
- • New Jersey
- • New York
- • Ohio
- • Pennsylvania
- • Tennessee
- • Virginia
- • West Virginia
- • Wyoming
The BetMGM and Caesars sports betting apps are available in certain parts of Washington DC too. Retail-only sports betting is available in Delaware, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, Washington and Wisconsin.
What sports can you bet on?
All online sportsbooks take bets on popular American sports like football, baseball, basketball, hockey, UFC/MMA, boxing, golf, soccer and tennis. You will always find motorsports too, featuring Formula 1, NASCAR and perhaps IndyCar.
Additional sports markets on offer may include athletics, Australian Rules, badminton, bandy, cricket, cycling, darts, floorball, futsal, handball, lacrosse, Pesapallo, pool, rugby league, rugby union, snooker, table tennis, volleyball, water polo and winter sports. Some states permit esports and entertainment betting too. You need to use a separate app or website for betting on horse races.
Tips For Choosing The Best Sportsbook
These are our top five tips to help you identify the best sportsbook:
- • Rule out incompatible sites. You can immediately ignore any sportsbooks that are unlicensed in your state or sites that do not accept your preferred payment method or offer your favorite betting options.
- • Find a sportsbook that fits your budget. Some sportsbooks are geared towards players that like to place small wagers, enter lots of contests and take advantage of bonuses. Others are geared towards more experienced bettors and VIP players with large bankrolls, as is the case with Caesars Sportsbook.
- • Work out the attributes you value the most. If you establish your priorities, you will quickly arrive at your perfect sportsbook. Traits can include large bonuses, quick payouts, early betting lines, sharp odds, bonus offers on your favorite teams, weekly promotions, a loyalty program, attentive customer service, key features like live streaming, loads of obscure props and so on. If you rank them in order, you will be able to find the best sportsbook for your requirements.
- • Do your homework. Check out the reviews at www.therx.com to learn more about each sportsbook and its bonus offers, betting lines and user interface. You can then make an informed decision.
- • Do not restrict yourself to a single sportsbook. Signing up with multiple licensed sportsbooks brings many advantages. You’ll get a ton of bonuses, and you can then compare the odds they are offering at a site like OddsTrader, which ensures you always get the best lines on your wagers.
Online Sports Betting Sites FAQ
Online bettors can create a betting account at any of the legal sportsbooks featured on this page by following a few simple steps. If you click our “Claim Deal” button, you will be taken through to the sports betting site, and the best promo code will be applied to your account. Click “Get Started” or “Register” to open the sign-up form.
The next step is to fill in the form with your personal details. Sportsbooks are required to gather your name, date of birth, home address and last four SSN digits for legal KYC purposes. They will also ask for your phone number and email address. Create a password and agree to the site’s terms and conditions.
You may be approved automatically, but the sportsbook might ask for supporting documents to complete the registration. When you have been validated and approved, you can download the app, make your initial deposit and claim the bonus.
Bonuses are a fun way to boost your potential payout but remember to read the terms and conditions before claiming any customer promotions. You need to make a qualifying deposit in order to claim the bonus money, so you need to be aware of the minimum deposit requirements.
There are legal sports betting sites and mobile apps in Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming. Caesars Sportsbook, BetMGM and FanDuel are legal, licensed and legit in most of those states.
www.therx.com only highlights regulated sportsbooks, so any of the brands we have featured are perfectly legitimate. You can learn more about those operators by reading our detailed online sportsbook reviews. We break down the bonuses, the customer support, the licensing credentials, the security measures, the selection of sports available and much more, ensuring you stay safe and receive a high-quality experience.
Online bettors can cash out their winnings from sportsbook bonuses after they have satisfied the rollover requirements. All sportsbook promotions, including second chance bet offers and match deposit bonuses, come with wagering requirements. They explain how many times you need to roll the bonus credits over, along with expiry dates, the types of bets you can place and any minimum odds requirements.
The best offers have a simple 1x rollover requirement. After playing them through once, your profits will be deposited into your standard cash balance. You can then cash them out. Online sportsbooks offer various withdrawal options, but Play+ and PayPal are normally the quickest methods for payouts.
If you are looking for the fastest payout speeds, we can recommend BetRivers. It processes most withdrawal requests automatically, so you will get your money straight away if you go for a Play+ payout. FanDuel is another great option for withdrawals, as they are very rapid and normally complete in less than two hours.
In terms of the widest choice of withdrawal methods, BetMGM is a great option, as it has lots of convenient options and it also processes payouts quickly. Caesars Sportsbook is another strong all-around operator, as it has large withdrawal limits, there are plenty of methods and it is quicker than many competitors.